Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds, and House Democrats have added twelve safe for publican seats to their red to Blue list. We have such a great show for you today. The Lincoln Project's own Rick Wilson joins us to talk about how Trump still controls elected officials despite the fact that he cannot control Republican primaries. Then we'll talk to Democratic Congressman Daniel Biss about being an anti apac jew.
Speaker 2: But first the.
Speaker 3: News soval the Senate passed a stopgap to avert the shutdown of the government that would have happened before the election. But Trump, I think he soiled as diaper because the Save Act didn't get passed.
Speaker 1: The top line here is the Senate has gone back on vacation because it's August, and why should they be at work. They've gone, They're done, They're out. They will not be back until September, and until then there will be no Save Act, which means Donald Trump will not get the Save Act passed. Here's what was never going to happen. Donald Trump was going to pass the Save Act. Here's why it was a math problem, right, you needed sixty votes to pass the Save Act. He couldn't get sixty votes, so he would have had to have killed the filibuster for an act that was By the way, if you're going to kill the filibuster, which eventually someone will kill the filibuster, you're not going to kill it for a piece of legislation that's poorly written that's ultimately probably not going to get enacted. I mean, the whole situation is just a complete shit show for Trump anyway. And by the way, had they even passed the Save Act, there's a question of whether or not it was even legal, right, I mean, it's basically federalizing elections. So it's taking state elections and making the federal government charge of them, which technically I mean, I know Republicans hate the Constitution, but if they liked it, they would see that the technically you can't do that. They're separated. And by the way, they're separated for good reason, because they're safer when the states run them and they're decentralized and they're less likely to be interfered with. So here we are bipartisan vote to push government funding past election day deadline. I love that they can get a ninety to six vote, but only when it's for punting. Another great part of this number of people did not vote, including you'll remember Mitch McConnell, though I do think at some point Mitch McConnell was having his votes put in for him.
Speaker 2: Right by Roger Wicker.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Certainly a sign that everything is going great, in case you're wondering. Supposedly, though Mitch McConnell did check out of rehab. Maybe who knows, because there are no pictures and no real reporting, So we just have to take Mitch McConnell at his word, which why wouldn't you right?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Of course?
Speaker 5: What it on?
Speaker 3: A zombie man? I mean, man, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Mitch McConnell at his word. I'm sure he's completely healthy and totally fine. What's happening here? They confirmed Todd Blanche, they failed a voter id measure, and now they will.
Speaker 2: Go and have a recess.
Speaker 1: Well, Republicans will try to keep the House and Democrats will try to flip.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about the Republicans trying to keep the House, because we have learned that they're going to have a little convention that's going to be a little film festival. Now, I allow me to loog a prediction here. I think we're going to see Ai trans tall Rico. I think we're going to probably see some of the most islamicophobic things about doctor Abduel said we've ever seen, and probably a lot of other things. My imagination is not stupid enough to conceive.
Speaker 2: Here's what's happening.
Speaker 1: Dop decided that we have a midterm convention, which I actually don't think is a terrible idea. If you had a policy to sell people, that could be very helpful, but you don't. Right, what's the policy the Republican What is the Republican policy? What is the Republican Party is leaning? Do they want healthcare for all? Do they want do they want to what do they want?
Speaker 2: They want Trump?
Speaker 1: Right? I mean Trump? The party is the party of Trump? And do they support what Trump likes? And so they support seizing the means of production by taking stakes in public companies they largely via blackmail? I mean, what do they support? So they support getting mad at people for making jokes about Charlie Kirk that I don't know that you can run on that stuff. I don't know that somebody who can't afford to fill their car up with gas is going to really care about culture war issues, and that will be the big question. So this first ever midterm convention in September will feature a lot of clips of leftists saying crazy stuff.
Speaker 2: What will that look like? I don't know.
Speaker 1: You know, it might include some Hassan Piker because publicans are very obsessed with On Piker because he seems very scary to them. I think it will include a lot of people mad about Charlie Kirk's death. I think it will have It looks like it will have speeches from the very charismatic Jada Vance, known for his charisma Ohio charisma.
Speaker 2: I learned the term as The thing about.
Speaker 1: Jada Vance is like he makes when you realize that Peter Tiel had to like spend millions of dollars more to get him elected in a ruby red state of Ohio and then you listen to him speak at all, sort of comes together.
Speaker 3: But does I makeup look so good?
Speaker 1: Right? And Treasury Secretary Scott Besant, known for telling Americans this week that the K shaped ecotomy is no longer k shaped. That guy excited to hear what. He's a real populist. Always love to hear him talk about populism. I think there'll be a lot of talking got Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Junior. They're going to focus on the Maha movement, you'll remember them, mom movement, supposedly Trump and again, you know, a lot of reporting about Trump himself ends up with the reporter with egg on their face because he changes his mind sometimes. But supposedly there are going to be more executive orders focused.
Speaker 2: On anti vacs.
Speaker 1: So that is unpopular with polls, but popular with Maha. And you know, remember the explosive diarrhea. This stuff is still going. You know, I was talking to someone and they were I said, oh, here it has moved to fruit and they said, actually that's salmonella. So there seems to be some also, again this is just anecdotal, so don't take me as bible here, but like there definitely is. They are not doing the food surveillance they're supposed to be doing, thank you doge.
Speaker 3: So Donald Trump's other obsession that is not decorating, has consistently been enacting Stephen Miller's racist policies. And they're going to keep fighting to try to get rid of birthrights, thisenship in this country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the birthright citizenship stuff. It's so bizarre because like this Supreme Court will do almost anything for Trump, but in the words of meat Loaf, they won't do that. So Trump is going to try some other way to do it. This is never going to work for him. It's the fourteenth Amendment. Trump does a lot of crazy stuff, but I think this is for the really racist part of the base, right, the part that is not just satisfied by ice arresting people, putting them in camps like Delaney where they die. This is a different section of the base that will not ever be satisfied. And Trump is trying to tell them that there's still more racism to do. And I think he is doing this because he doesn't want to lose them. And I think that there's sort of you know, his coalition is fracturing. There are maga people who are I mean, we see this in the polls, right, and we see this in the voting. We see this in primary voting. We see this with like Megan Kelly. Remember Megan Kelly and Tucker Carlson are more connected to the real world than Donald Trump. They get comments on their YouTube, they see their YouTube numbers. They are more reactive than a Donald Trump because they have to be right for their numbers. So those people have criticized Trump, and why have they criticized Trump Because they see that their viewers want them to right. They're incentivized by their viewership in a way that mainstream media has not been right. They're more sensitive, they can move quicker, and they are reactive in a way. So I do think that that crew sees that MAGA is fracturing. And remember we've talked about this before, but I think it's worth just remembering that MEGA is fracturing over what they're fracturing over these seven wars right the places where Donald Trump has brought them to war. And now you know the results of that, which are higher gas prices, higher, food prices higher. And again a lot of these people are in rural areas, so that means higher farming stuff. You know, higher prices of fertilizer are more expensive that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: So this is pretty interesting. I would have bet that Max Miller would have dropped up before this deadline since he's pulling extremely bad. So this looks like another pickup for the Democrats because Max Miller missed the deadline to drop out and get off the ballot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, my favorite part of the Maximiller and again favorite is this is not my favorite part. But the thing that I think is worth worth sort of highlighting when we talk about Max Miller is and when Donald Trump called him, at least according to the reporting, he said that the polls look bad. Like not, you know, there are allegations you did unspeakable things to your two year old daughter.
Speaker 2: Not that, but instead the polls look bad.
Speaker 1: I do want to just have a minute here to talk about domestic violence and the allegations of it. Stephanie Grisham, the Press secretary of Milania and Trump one point zero, she had accused Max Miller of very similar things, and you know, she was not believed, and so here we are. So I just think that it is worth realizing that, like, if you believe one woman, you might be able to save another woman from something terrible or allegations of something terrible. So it looks like it's a real pickup opportunity for Democrats. He is not getting out of the race, and it's too late anyway, and he's probably going to do more crazy interviews. I mean, Miller is really good example of why you don't want to support candidates who do terrible things. And like, again this is not quite the same, but like, once you get behind a candidate who is like this, like mentally ill, and I mean, I don't know if he's mentally ill, but he certainly behaves in a way that's erratic and unpleasant and disturbing, you are in bed with them. Ever, Miller previously sued ex girlfriend Stephanie Grisham after she accused him of abuse also and then they had a settlement. She sued him last month for allegedly violating the terms of that settlement's non disparagement terms. Another thing that I want to point out with this story is that yeah, he's still an active candidate, so he has not dropped out. And it's just a terrible story all around. This just makes Ohio Republicans look terrible. And I think, like when Max Miller tweeted these pictures of this text about the blue bunny, his daughter's blue bunny, his daughter left the blue bunny and couldn't sleep without her bunny. This is a two year old child, so it was like highly traumatized by this experience, by the divorce, by the you know, it's just a.
Speaker 2: Horrible experience all around.
Speaker 1: And he tweeted out these pictures of the pickup that were supposed to show that he had not held the blue Bunny as hostage, but in fact showed that he had held the blue Bunny as hostage because he he didn't like the person who was going to pick up the bunny. And those whole story is insane, and it's one of those stories where the more the person talks, the more it sounds worse for them. Rick Wilson is the founder of the Lincoln Project and the host of the Lincoln Project podcast Welcome, Welcome, Rick Wilson.
Speaker 4: Hey, Molly john Fast, how are you on this fine day.
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about this.
Speaker 2: The only people who are scared of Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: The only people who actually, let's even broaden it, the only people who listened to Donald Trump anymore because voter Shore don't. And I'm talking about Andy Oboles with his Nope Trumpy nominated.
Speaker 4: Tondy ogles that he had the kiss of life but had the kiss of death instead.
Speaker 1: The golden Donald Trump endorsement in the Republican primary in Tennessee.
Speaker 5: Didn't work, did not work.
Speaker 4: And this is a guy who has never spent a day where he wasn't finding a way to suck Donald Trump's ass in American politics, and who Trump loved him and thought he was great and said all the he's my he's my guide, this and that, and yet didn't work.
Speaker 1: Andy Ohs was going to rewrite the Constitution for Trump.
Speaker 4: That is correct. He wanted to rewrite the constitution. Uh, he is a complete election denier. Trump's word is law with Andy Ogles defends everything. All of the bullshit that was definitional to a modern Republican candidate was it was present there with Andy Ogles, every single bit of it. And and and the truth of the matter is it didn't work, didn't help, didn't save him, didn't make it better. It turned out that nothing was going to fix it because Trump's endorsement now what you used to be something, and it's not nothing, but it's just not this. It doesn't work like it worked before. And in fact, there are some Republicans that I know for a fact, a couple of Republican congressional candidates have been like, well, I didn't ask for the endorsement, but he gave it to me, right, Oh okay, yeah, that's gonna make people feel you're not a complete Trump suck up after all. Pretty fascinating to me.
Speaker 1: My favorite punchline to this story is Andy Ogles brought down by clean energy.
Speaker 4: Of all things, this guy loses where that's one of the issues that ends up unasking him in this whole race. It's kind of amazing.
Speaker 1: And a super pack from the Solar crew is the big supports his primary challenger, which I think is like a very look.
Speaker 2: I mean right, I think we Obviously.
Speaker 1: Big money in politics is a real problem, but here it's a delicious problem.
Speaker 4: I will swallow this bit of citizens united bypass or bycatch as long as it's taken down seriously. One of the most egregious and tenditious and dumb supporters of MAGA MAGA voters have been peeling away from Trump this year, and even Trump himself said, oh, they're mad at Republicans, not at me.
Speaker 2: That was amazing.
Speaker 4: They've been peeling away from Trump, but they've also been peeling away from Trump's candidates. Now they're not looking at and Andy Ogles or whomever and saying Yeah, that's the guy I need to send to the Senate or the House, or to the State House or the governor's office. And that's the guy that's going to carry out the Trump agenda. So that agenda is unpopular. He is unpopular, and therefore and they're getting the radiation off of it at long last.
Speaker 1: So let's talk this through for a minute, because despite all of this, there is a guy in the Republican Party in the Senate who who could have completely railed the confirmation of Todd Blanche and refused to do it. So what do you think happened here with Bill Cassaday.
Speaker 4: I think he is an honorless shill who has no personal integrity, no sense of honor whatsoever, a guy who for whatever reasons, even after all the abuse and the hideous behavior, and we're using his seat and his colleagues. Yeah, he's losing his seat because of Trump. And yet he doesn't want to be murdered by the mob. He doesn't want to be attacked by Fox. He doesn't want to be, you know, turned into the latest punching bag for Trump's craziness. What he doesn't understand is that he now has a permanent mark against him. This is a guy who forever will be seen as the guy who voted to make sure that the Jeffrey Epstein FILESI remain covered up. That he voted for the guy who will pardon Jelaane Maxwell set up that pardon for Trump to sign. He voted for a guy who Trump describes himself Trump's personal lawyer. He voted for a guy who will lie to the Senate, who will abuse power, who will set up the Trump slush fund. Again, watch watch what happens. By I'm putting one thousand dollars down on this bet Trump will restore the January sixth slush fund. Now that branch has been voted on. They will. They will come back and put it back in right before then, all these guys will go. We could have never seen this coming. Oh my god. Yeah, yeah, anybody could see this coming.
Speaker 1: So you have a lot of experience in Republican world and Republican politics.
Speaker 2: And here's a question I have for you.
Speaker 1: Are you ready when someone like Bill Cassidy does something like this, what is the calculus for later?
Speaker 2: Like because clearly he's doing.
Speaker 1: This, like when we saw Joe Manchin do this, or Kristen Cinema like with an eye towards his future employment.
Speaker 2: So so what is he trying to help himself with here?
Speaker 4: I would argue that somebody has called him and said, hey, listen, buddy, you've got to place it at any number of any number of lobbying firms, Ballard Partners, Barbara Griffith, Rogers, whoever. And if you if you just vote on this thing, you're going to get a million and a half dollars a year for the next ten years. You don't have to do a goddamn thing, show up to one meeting a year. It is sometimes that transparent and that simple. They they may have had, you know, they may have had a long heartfelt conversation with about that, and that may have changed his deep sense of personal integrity because Washington runs on money, right, and these people are have control over tremendous, tremendous sums of money.
Speaker 1: Because that's what it certainly seemed like was happening with Cinema and Mansion when they voted.
Speaker 2: Against all of that Biden administration legislation.
Speaker 4: And those two are those two Cinema and Mansion were much more transparently corrupt, right, They were very much, much more cash and carry. I mean, her whole thing as the lead Democrat fighting for the hedge fund you know, business sector America's mom and pop hedge funds industry. Her whole time in the body was striking, and Mansion of course was always cash and carry. Yeah, but I think what you're seeing here in a lot of ways is Cassidy looked less corrupt on paper, but something is either so broken in his brain, or he's so afraid of being killed by crazy people, or he just took a bribe. And I mean Oukham's razor is the bribe.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean one of my I don't want to say favorite because it was horrible and depressing, but one of the moments that will stick with me forever was seeing Kristen Cinema immediately doing lobbying for data centers.
Speaker 4: Least surprising thing in a way, but you're also like, come on, really, that that that that obvious? Is that is it that freaking obvious? And look, Silicon Valley has made a really compelling decision in the last couple of years or discovery in the last couple of years. They figured out that a lot of money in Washington and a lot of money for a former senator, former congressman is a couple of million bucks.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's not.
Speaker 4: I have a couple of million bucks in their couch cushions. They're they're they're spending a couple of million bucks every few days and starbucks on on their political and their persuasion and lobbying operations. Buying an next member of the Senator, Buying an next member of the House is cheap at you know, it's it's bargain basement stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so again with Cassidy, With Senator Cassidy, it could be because he's a coward.
Speaker 2: It could be because he accepted a bribe.
Speaker 1: We won't know for another couple of months, but we will eventually know.
Speaker 2: But what it does strike me is that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, voters are are not coming along, not going along to get along with Donald Trump. And I would love to sort of pull back from this and keep going with it because I think voters are much angrier than we in.
Speaker 2: The elite were in elite world. Can really quantify discuss.
Speaker 4: They are so angry, Molly, it is beyond the level of understanding of these members of Congress and these members in the Senate, their consultants understand the level of anger out there. Yeah, and in a world where, well, let's put this way, if we didn't have the jerrymandering now that we had back if in twenty ten when Republicans blew out the House representatives, there's a lot of anger in the country.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's your top twenty eighteen.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of anger in the country, right, But I'm also talking about twenty eighteen, when Trump had really screwed up already on the economy, people were angry. If the jerrymandering wasn't as crazy as it is right now, the Democrats will win sixty five seats as it is, They're going to be in the high twenties somewhere as of today, all caveats apply, blah blah blah. But the anger they're feeling, even the people who are saying, oh, I'm still voting Republican, seventy one percent of Republicans say the economy is on the wrong track.
Speaker 2: Is Republican believable. Yeah, that's unusual.
Speaker 4: It is. It is an insane number. And overall the country believes, like, by like eighty seven percent, we're on the wrong economic track. This is poisoned politically, and and look what is Trump doing to make it better? Nothing. He's not even really helping the Republicans he's supposed to be helping because he bragged this week goes when he was interviewed by.
Speaker 2: Jake Jack Truman, Yeah from punch Bowl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he said, oh uh, you know, it's eight hundred million dollars and I control it.
Speaker 2: Right about the MAGA super passed.
Speaker 4: Eighty seven days to go. If you think Donald Trump is going to give up almost a billion dollars to candidates who he thinks aren't going to win, I have a bridge to sell you it's mad. Is he's going to keep the fucking money he can. He's allowed to keep it.
Speaker 2: Well, but it's also elite.
Speaker 1: He's not supposed to say he controls it because aren't super I mean, I guess this new Supreme Court ruling means that now super PACs can be controlled by politics.
Speaker 4: So the new ruling about coordination has made it a lot. They've given him a lot more lead. Of all, they've given every five twenty seven committee, which is a super pac or a C four committee a lot more latitude to coordinate with and talk to campaigns. In the past, we had to keep a very careful delineation between what the super Pac new and the campaign new, and what the super Pac new and the C four new. Now, that's all kind of a muddle. But him coming out and saying I run it, it's my money, wow, is astounding to me. Yeah. And you know, I think people forget where that money came from. It's crypto, yeah, it's Wall Street, specifically private equity, part of the private equity chunk of Wall Street. It's oil and gas.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And it's an ideological cluster of the you know, uh Aightolson money, you line money, all the money, what's that?
Speaker 2: And AI?
Speaker 4: Yeah? And right and then right and finally from the tech bro sector. A ginormous wave of money from both the AI part of it and the data center construction part of it. All of that has flooded the zone for Trump. That's why he has It's not actually eight hundred million dolls, it's a little less than that, but he's got an awful lot of money sitting on a pile. And Trump is like Smog the dragon in the in Tolkien's Hobbit, right, He's going to lay on top of that pile. He doesn't want anybody to get a single coin out of that. He's going to keep that frickin money. You know, we'll show we tried to help, but we're doing what it told them, and so so I had to keep them for NAT for something for my plane.
Speaker 1: But what I do think is relevant here is that Donald Trump also said another thing during that interview which I think is really important. He said, they're mad at Republicans, but not me.
Speaker 4: Right, they're mad at him too. He just doesn't think so he's wrong.
Speaker 1: They're madder at him than they are at Republicans. I mean, he's the one who did the teriffs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they are mad at him. Is he is mistook.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about something that I want to throw the needle here, and I think.
Speaker 2: That you may disagree with me, so let's go.
Speaker 1: I think that this anti incumbent hostility, that this fury towards elected is not as ideological as a lot of people in news world are saying.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, Molly, I agree with you one hundred percent. This is it's not far woey normal.
Speaker 2: It's or versus normal.
Speaker 4: Right. It is reflective of an economy that is an equal opportunity destructive force for voters no matter what your ideology is and a lot of these Republican voters who are saying they're unhappy with their member. Part of that, in my view, is that they come from a universe where for years they've been conditioned to never ever criticize Trump, never be angry at Trump, always say Trump is right about everything, and it must be other people. It's the old Russian theory like, oh, the czar is good, but his boy ares his advisors are terrible. No, No, it's him. So Democrats hate him. Republicans have peeled off from him in some meaningful numbers, and Republicans hate the Republicans in a way that almost starts to rival the way Democrats hate other Democrats.
Speaker 1: And I think that's where you get to Michigan. So let's have two secs on Michigan. I think the candidate again, I think candidate quality plays a.
Speaker 2: Bigger role in that race than you think. Then people are.
Speaker 4: Talking hugely, So why Mike Rogers. Mike Rogers first off, so everyone's clear, he does not live in Michigan. He lives in Naples, Florida, in a multimillion dollar house in Naples, Florida.
Speaker 2: But they he recorded his.
Speaker 4: Last campaign video from a house in Naples, Florida.
Speaker 2: They keep letting him watching paint Drop. He's run for like Michigan.
Speaker 4: He runs. Tommy Tarberville is in Florida too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go on.
Speaker 4: But Mike Rodgers is dull as dirt and he even he doesn't have that like weird ideological heat that some of the more talented MAGA candidates can bring. Okay, it's going to be real hard for Mike Rodgers to sustain calling Al Sayet a commie Muslim terrorist over and over again, whether you thought say Ed was a was too liberal or to DSA or whatever. He has the talent, he has the gift. He's a good communicator, he's a fast thinker, he's good on his feet, he's funny, he's self deprecating, he connects with people. None of that is present in Mike Rogers. And I got to tell you, I think the the incumbency factor. You know, oh we know Mike Rogers. He's been around, he's been a member of this and that I think that's much worth much less than it would have been five years ago, and certainly ten years.
Speaker 1: And I'm certainly doing an anti incumbent wave.
Speaker 4: That's exactly where I said him. I thank you, because that's exactly what I was about to saying. Is And in a year where people are sick of the of the old guard and the establishment in both parties, you got a guy who can communicate, who can walk, talk, and and spit fire. That's a superpower in this environment.
Speaker 1: I also think Mike Rogers keeps running for things and losing, and so.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he is a multi time, three time loser. Now that's the question. You go back to that question about Trumps superpack, which has got the biggest load of all Republican money right now, Are they going to go to Michigan and spend fifty million dollars on a so so candidate. It's the reason they haven't helped Paxton in Texas so far, because Paxton turns out to be a shit candidate, unbelieved, but he's got a real opponent. Yeah, I mean they they haven't spent a dollar on Ken Paxton. They won't spend the money there Ken that and I think you're going to find that with Rogers too. They're going to say, Eh, this guy's not great, he's dull, he doesn't have any any real fire, he's not connecting with people. If they were going to be spending that eight hundred million dollars, they would be doing it already. Early money means more than late money in our political world.
Speaker 1: So I also think like Paston has fought so hard for this nomination, and now that he's gone it, he just wants to go to Europe with his girlfriend.
Speaker 4: Hey, you know what, or to manage his portfolio of multimillion dollar homes that he somehow was able to afford on a government salary. It's a mystery to me. I mean, who among us doesn't have fifteen homes in places like Aspen and Hawaii on a government salary.
Speaker 1: Rick Wilson, Molly Jong Fast, will you come back?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Consider it.
Speaker 1: Daniel Biss is the Democratic nominee for Illinois's ninth district and the former mayor of Evanston. Welcome, Welcome, Daniel Biss. So I'm just going to set this up for a minute, because you won your primary in Illinois.
Speaker 2: Is what district is it?
Speaker 5: Ninth district?
Speaker 1: Ninth district?
Speaker 5: The fact everyone cares about a lot district number people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't want to get that district number wrong. Ninth district. Your primary was in March. So that's ten thousand years ago, and you are now going to run in a it's a D plus.
Speaker 5: What it's like twenty five? Okay, considered a safe district I take nothing for granted, but considered to be a.
Speaker 1: Safe But the reason why I wanted to have you on is not because you need to raise money or sorry, or because you have this type Republican challenger who is fort by scandal, but because you and I are both Jewish, and you and I are both both struggle with how to relate to Israel at this moment, and you have really brilliantly talked about your relationship as both a liberal Jew, as a liberal Jew, to Israel as it is at this moment. And I would love you first to talk about your familial history with Israel, because I think it's really important and it speaks to a lot of our familial histories with Israel, and then to talk about where you are in your journey of sort of trying to make sense of your relationship with the Jewish date.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you. My tendency is going to be to talk for ten million years now, so you just come me off and redirect when it's time. But as you said, I'm Jewish. My grandparents on my mom's side survived the Holocaust. My grandmother survived Auschwitz. They came back to the Transylvanian town where they were both born. After liberation. My mom's born in forty six and forty eight, the three of them go to Israel, and by the end of the fifties, my whole extended family on that side is in Israel. My mom then comes to America in the sixties, studies, falls in love, gets married, stays here. But basically my whole extended family on my mother's side is there. My mother's still a dual citizen. I grew up going there every summer. My first cousin, while pregnant, went back into reserve duty after October seventh. It gets the connection there is very is, very deep. But you know, the conduct of this Israeli government, not just in the last couple of years Vasa though that's particularly disgusting, but for decades it's been completely offensive to any progressive person values. It's been anguishing to watch, it's horrifying. And you know, for a very long time in American politics, there was like a party line, a super narrow party line that was basically, you know, you can sort of criticize them, you know a name, let's say, but you can't actually support any policies that will do anything about it. Right, Like the US policy was like, hey, we might be mad at you, Nata, Yahoo, but we're not going to actually change our military funding or other aspects of our foreign policy in response to our our anger. And I just I launched a campaign for Congress last May, so I guess a year and a quarter ago now, and I just couldn't do it. I was not gonna say I'm front restricted military aid to continue to drop in bombs on children in Gaza to support a military effort that was using starvation as a weapon of war, and that because I wasn't willing to do that, because I took a position against transferring up pensive weapons for recognizing the Palestinian state, which nowadays recording this in August of twenty twenty six, that sounds incredibly timid, But in August of twenty twenty five, that was like some kind of piratical position that basically focused the campaign on its issue. And APAC got in the race and spent millions and millions and so forth, and it became the focal point.
Speaker 1: You went to a pac and you said, look, tell us sort of what your back and forth with Apak was, because they got very involved in this race.
Speaker 5: Explained, Yeah, so the first thing to understand is this was like a juicy target for them, because this is there's a twenty eight year incumbent who they didn't love, right, who had been pretty critical. Her name is jan chakaws Keep. She's a progressive. She had been critical of Israel and supportive of changing US as a relationship, and so they didn't love her.
Speaker 2: And this is seed that Chicago, basically the North.
Speaker 5: Side of Chicago and a bunch of suburbs. It was like half and half Chicago and suburb and it's a it's a heavily Jewish district, and really the Jewish community itself was super diverse. There's Orthodox Jews, there's you know, reform Jews, reconstructions, progressive all over the map. And I think they felt like this was like basically a pick up opportunity the same way that Democrats might want to be a Republican. They wanted to beat someone who was willing to, you know, to stand up to Nao. You know, the conventional wisdom back then was basically like, listen, if they come for you, it's going to be millions of dollars, They're going to crush you.
Speaker 4: It's over.
Speaker 5: And so my first line of approach was listen, guys, just stay out. Here's you know, we're talking about on everything. But we can have open conversations. This is not a good idea, it's not good for the world, not good for the Jews, you know, for you guys to be in this. And we had back and forth in a series of conversations and fundamentally became clear that the red line for them was unrestricted military aid. That if I was willing to say no strings attached military aid, they would back off. And the simple thing is I couldn't. I just was not going to be that guy.
Speaker 1: And I want to point out here what I think is so important, which is you come from a family of Holocaust survivors who were given the purpose of Israel, right, Like, the purpose of Israel was to be a safe place after a genocide, and your family used it for that. And like, if there ever were a person who understands the importance of a Jewish state who came to Israel after the Holocaust, who had a mother, you know, like there are a few examples better of like you know, someone who understands the point the purpose of Israel than you. So I just want to point that out before. Is that fair?
Speaker 5: Can I just? I think I obviously agree and like I feel it very much in my bones. And I think that's exactly why they saw me as dangerous, right, because their move is if you criticize the Israeli government, if you try to do something about the Israeli government's conduct, they want to caricterature you, and they want to make you, you know, opposed to the entire concept of Israel, and if at all possible, they'll call your antimony right. And they just couldn't do that with me. You know, they can disagree with me on policy, but it's very very obvious that the positions I'm taking come from a position of understanding the importance and value of the Jewish democratic state and wanting it to not only succeed and thrive and be secure, but do it NOI that's consistent with Jewish values, Yeah, right, Like I don't view the project of oh, we have to have a Jewish democratic state, that's the safe havor for the Jewish people, and oh, it's got to conduct itself with humanity and dignity, and there needs to be equal self determination and justice for the Palestinian people. As conflicting projects, they're the same project, and they're the project that I think reflects the Jewish values that I actually find most compelling and beautiful.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I grew up as a Unitarian, but I raised my kids as reform Jews, and like, there is no part of reform Judaism that has like a cutout for genocide, you know, or it has no cutout for bombing children, Like that's not how it goes.
Speaker 5: Or oppression, right, is this this oppression, the removal of rites, the ethnical whatever you whatever aspect of it most personally offends you. It's all just completely counter the values that I was taught as a Jewish kid in Syenegogue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you really are someone who has the best interest of the State of Israel at heart, right, because you understand it's important and you have family there and you really get why it needs to exist. So you say this to them and they basically say why.
Speaker 5: Basically they say, you haven't given us the assurances that we need to hear. And you know, I mean, these conversations are all a little bit kabooky ask and you know it's but basically they are. They make clear in a variety of ways that if you can't tell us no strengths attached military aid, we will destroy you. And at that point I published it's almost exactly a year ago, was August of last year. I published a little thing on my sub sect that basically explained some of my positions, including ending transfer of offensive weapons and recognizing the Palestinian state, which again it sounds so tame nowadays, but that was enough to that was like the sort of we're cutting the cord. We're not going to try to figure out if there's a way to keep them out. We're just gonna I'm just gonna be as direct as possible with the public so that nobody could possibly accuse me of saying different things to different constituencies. And I'd rather not go to Congress as me than yes, go to Congress as somebody else. And the thought was at the time, this means that they're going to spend millions and millions and millions, which they did, and that probably kind of ends it, which fortunately didn't.
Speaker 1: So tell us about your race because the ultimately it really backfired in a sort of spectacular way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was wild. I mean, first of all, our race was a whole thing fifteen candidates, so we had one of everybody, but the candidate who they supported wound up coming in a relatively distant third. And what we did was we just made a pack the issue. Right, So, the way I thought about this was life, Listen, they're going to be spending millions of dollars. There's going to be a trillion TV ads running about this candidate's great and Daniel sucks, and there were, And so people who are just kind of like channel surfing and getting their information in that way are just not going to be for me. So we have to focus the conversation and explain what's really going on. And so we we made a a pack the issue. We ran TV it's about it, We sent mailers about it. I talked about it constantly, We sent I think in February we sent over twenty press releases about a pack, like almost as many days as there are. The goal is to say, listen, right now, you're probably seeing a blitz of advertising coming at you about how great this one person is and how much I stink, Well, you have to understand if it's coming because APAC and Trump donors are paying for it, that they're doing that because they want somebody in Congress who's going to support no strings attached military aid to Israel. And by the way, they're so embarrassed about all this that they're aligning to you about it. Yeah, they're trying to hide it. They created these shell organizations with these nine names to try to basically lie to the public about who was paying for the messages they were getting. And you know, we were successful enough in elevating that story, so eventually, I think the money started to backfire because every ad is reminding people who was from Right.
Speaker 1: After the Trump election, you had this special, this judicial election in Wisconsin where Elon musk came in, wore a cheese hat, spent million and I think you spend one hundred million. It's some crazy number.
Speaker 5: I think you say the thing about Elon Musklin the chiefs that long more time. I just really like listening to that.
Speaker 1: It was like, but it was a great example of how if voters know that they're being manipulated, that their money is trying to make something that isn't real.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, there's here's also the way that I think about this, you know, I mean, and often people will ask, like, why is somebody why are the presidential candidates running all these TV ads? What voter needs to see that to choose between Donald Trump and Kamala Harris. And most people don't need that right for a presidential race. They just they know they've made up their mind. It's obvious they've got way more information than they need. But if you put yourself on the shoes, I mean, where I live in Illinois, we vote for like a billion different judges. We vote for the water commissioner and the community college board. And I'll be honest, I'm a professional politician, but sometimes I go vote and I'm like, oh shit, Like, who am I supposed to vote for this judicial vacancy? I can't remember. I've met them both. They seem nice. I don't know. And so almost every voter, including the most knowledgeable ones, will get to a point on the ballot where they're just like, I don't really exactly know the difference. And in that situation where you become a low information voter, as all of us are, sometimes this ad or that mailer can make the determination and the magic trick that you can do that Elon Musk and his cheese hat did, and that frankly we were able to do by making this race about Apex is to take a race that might be sort of low information, a race where the candidates might all sort of feel roughly the same to a lot of voters, and like snap it into a position where wait a second, this connects to something I care about, This matters, and all of a sudden, I'm an immovable voter and you could spend fifty trillion dollars and it still wouldn't change my opinion because I know who I'm voting for, just like Mollie john Fast is not going to vote for Donald Trump no matter how many ads she sees.
Speaker 1: No. It's I think that's a really good point. But it does come back to I just want to talk about because one of the things that we're about to go into an election cite go where Elon Musk is is going to donate at least one hundred million dollars for people like Susan Collins and Ken Paxton and Dan Sullivan, and you know, there are all these really mediocre Republicans and candidates who are about to get an infusion of cash. I want you to say a little more about sort of how you think you guys did it in that way.
Speaker 5: I think the fundamental thing we did was we told a story that people cared about, right the story. And I'm not saying that our story would work in every electorate, every district, but in our district, the idea of Apack and Donald Trump. Donors are trying to buy this to make sure that who represents you in Congress is going to send no strings attached money to bbings out but bomb as many kids as he wants to bomb. And by the way they're lying to about it, they're trying to trick you. That got people. And I think the fundamental question, particularly in modern politics where we're in this crazy attentional environment, is yes, the money matters, Yes, the repetition matters. I don't pretend for a second that all that stuff is irrelevant, But you've got to use the money to tell a story that really gets in people's heads and sticks with them because it connects to something they vicessarily feel and care about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's really true, and I also think it's funny because democratic voters have shifted so much on Israel. And again, it's not Israel, right, It's this state of giving unconditional money.
Speaker 5: For a war.
Speaker 1: It's also just this kind of you know, if you're going to run on America first and then you're going to get involved in foreign wars, you know, with the president who was trying to stay out of jail. I'm talking about nan Yavu Nikhi and not Trump.
Speaker 5: Sometimes it's hard to know the difference, honic, right.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's really what it is, is we're signing a blind check for someone who does not represent our values in any which way, for sure.
Speaker 5: And I also think, you know, it's interesting some of the more right wing defenders of Israel are always like, is there so much attention? Why are we so worked up? Why are people spending so much time talking about just this one country? And there is some legitimacy to that point in some context, but also our relationship with them, the American relationship with Israel's unlike any other relationship. Right. They're a wealthy country with the developed economy where we're sending billions of dollars a year of direct financial military aid. That's not normal, right, And so it freaks people out. The other thing I would say about this is because the conversation was so neuro so kind of cookie cutter. Every American politicians says the exact same thing on this for years and years and years, right, And now that that's been kind of blown up, we're kind of in this all bets are off situation, and I think that's it's much more politically interesting. People are trying to figure out, Wait a second, what is the right position on Israel? Is it is it a kind of a different vision of Israel as a Jewish democratic, but human and justus state. Is it one state solution where everybody in the region is part of a single lowercase D democratic place and they all have rights confermed in a different manner. These are these are live questions that the American political system is wrestling with, and when that happens, it becomes interesting for the kind of people who care about the issue.
Speaker 1: It's funny because it's like we are in this insane moment in American politics. And as a liberal Jew, you know, you know, the most fraught part for me has been that my kids and again I mean I try to advert to talk about them, but like they have felt very uncomfortable in reformed Judaism because there is this very right wing political issue that has been put in to religion in a way that has like it's harmed both Jews, Judaism, and the state of Israel.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I've seen some more progressive and reform synagogues here in my community struggle with this in really beautiful ways and build build solidarity and bridges around basic principles and Jewish values and then not jump to and here's our exact policy prescription. But it's tough, and you know, I think there's this giant and I mean, we can get I don't know how much of your audience is super interested in the internal, you know, politics of the Jewish community. But look the so called organized Jewish community, the acronym alphabet soup of organizations that largely purport to speak for the Jewish people. They speak for a slice, and that is a more right wing slice than where I sit, where most of my Jewish friends sit, where most young Jews sit. And if we can't have a world where the policy is that your kids, hey for justin humanitarian reasons, are welcomed in the Jewish community, then like, what are we doing? What are we doing?
Speaker 1: Daniel, Thank you so much for joining us, Thanks.
Speaker 5: So much for having me. I love the conversation.
Speaker 2: No moment, Jesse Cannon.
Speaker 3: So when we thought about pollution, you know, we were thinking like, oh, we'll get rid of Cole and you know, maybe things will start to trend the right way. And then we met data centers and then I read this headline, Amazon is creating the biggest pollution source in the entire country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so here it is.
Speaker 1: Amazon is quietly trying to not just mister wonderful, that should be the headline. You know, mister wonderful is trying to build a huge Canadian Dubai. You know, the Canadian who lives in Dubai, mister wonderful, and I think live should be in quote. That guy is trying to build a data center in Utah and accusing anyone who's trying to stop him of being a Chinese. Well, Amazon is quietly trying to build a site in Texas where plans to build a data center campus. Okay, so this is Texas. It's going to have a gas powered plant that will be completely separate from Texas is already failing power grid though Texas is power grid, a lot of it is on solar, so some of it doesn't fail. The site, known as GW Ranch, there's nothing ranchy about it, will be allowed to produce power to admit thirty three million tons of carbon dioxide, which would make it the biggest polluting site in the US, emitting more than the country's biggest coal power plant. This will be a sharp contrast to Amazon's commitment to reach net zero emissions.
Speaker 2: By twenty forty.
Speaker 1: It feels like they're not going along with their part on the Climate Pledge. Yes, who could have seen that Jeff Bezos would to be such a disappointment Probably anyone who was paying attention.
Speaker 2: That's it for.
Speaker 1: This episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.