Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shots streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: It's a very special occasion this edition of mix Shots. It's Wednesday inside the SWBC podcast studio. This is a special day because this is the day we honor Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 2: That is a corny version. It's unscripts.
Speaker 3: It took a kind of a Christmas.
Speaker 2: It's like a if you like to.
Speaker 4: See Yeah, that's definitely a teenager Chris, Chris, and I can't remember these days because his brother Rich it's his.
Speaker 3: Birthday in the scouting department, Rich department.
Speaker 4: And then when Christmas birthday is in January, it's the same day my sister's birthday. Oh wow, how about that?
Speaker 3: So you're all related? How about the how about the birthday? Looked that Vicky is throwing now I on with a black Cowboys vest on, black shirt.
Speaker 5: The song was a teenager's birthday song and his mom dressed him.
Speaker 6: I hate the funny thing about that whole situation, and we're all from Chicago.
Speaker 2: That's right. Wow, there what stuff? Might be the smallest person from Chicago.
Speaker 4: No, not quite like the city of Yes, but we have broad shoulders. Say anything about height, right.
Speaker 3: It's also the windy city in a lot of wind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 3: Not because of the atmospheric conditions. Why they call it the windows.
Speaker 4: And it was also the city that works too, by the way, their daily didn't put up with any city union strikes either.
Speaker 2: By you're just making up stuff. No, I'm not the city of whatever going to work.
Speaker 3: You're bringing your legal pad with you too, And look, you didn't bring his legal pad today on his birthday. He's got a note pad.
Speaker 4: Well, let's say I had ten forty five. I did a TV spot.
Speaker 3: That's why you have the tie on under ten fifty.
Speaker 4: I did another TV deal. Eleven o'clock was the locker room. Okay, eleven forty was the fan, and twelve o'clock was this.
Speaker 3: Don't you know what I do for a living?
Speaker 2: Yes, I haven't had a minute mouthpiece.
Speaker 4: You haven't had a minute's piece yet.
Speaker 3: And there's a lot of spinning going on this week, and so the Mike McCarthy press conference won't be until later today because it's a it's a short week after the Monday night game, playing on Sunday at noon in Charlotte against those Carolina Panthers.
Speaker 4: And the team didn't need to be here till noon today team meeting and then so.
Speaker 3: They opened up the locker room at eleven. Yes, that's strategic team reports at noon. Media could come in at eleven.
Speaker 4: I think I can count the guys that were in there talking to themselves, which is what they do anyway, passing through with maybe both hands right, twelve fingers, that's a bit. The guys that well, you know, that's how many people were in there, twelve twelve, two hands, twelve fingers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whatever, So nothing coming out of the nothing noteworthy coming out of the locker room.
Speaker 4: Yeah there was. I mean what, I don't know what more you could ask him, or what more they could say. Cavante Turpin talked for a little while and he was talking about, you know, going forward, and he goes, you know, he goes, uh, you know me, he goes, I'm just trying to win games and don't matter who I'm competing against her, you know what happened before. But I did get to ask him. I think, did I tell you yesterday that when he was lined up waiting for the punt to two minutes and that he was having this conversation sideline. I said, so, what was going on? Were they giving you a crap or something? And he goes, no, they were telling me to make a fair catch. He goes, they said, don't be returning this. You make a fair catch. And he said, you better kick it out of bounds because if I get my hands on the ball, I'm going to the house, just like that. So that was the conversation they were having during that two minute time out. I thought it was, and he was laughing about it. He goes one of the guys he goes, I know real well on the team, Britt. I don't know if it's the last name. He goes, we know each other. So he was giving me grief and I was telling you better not kick it to me.
Speaker 2: Let's look, let's think about this.
Speaker 5: We have two extremely well really three dynamic players on special teams and Ken kick his butt off, right, We've got a field goal kicking, we've got turk and the deep.
Speaker 4: Snapper is not all that bad.
Speaker 2: And don't forget Nick vigil Okay, well, Nick Vigils.
Speaker 4: So let's get into this because we got a chance to talk to Fossil.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go, that's why I was hitted.
Speaker 4: And so he pointed out that they had a return on. It wasn't a punt block, it was a return. And what they do for the return is you they call it a vice. So you got two guys holding up the gunner to the west.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you can tell that the return is on. Now when you're watching football at the snap, if you see two guys on the gunner, then the returns on.
Speaker 4: And they wanted to go to that side to the Cowboys left. So Oi was one of the guys in the vice.
Speaker 3: So if they didn't have the return on, he would not have been there.
Speaker 4: Right basically, uh and and so what what you have to do is the guys to the right are all gonna, you know, at the snap, take care of their guys and then peel back to block the guy that it was in vigil spot is supposed to be the whole, not the hold up guy. But make sure there's no fake going on. And so he's supposed to sit there, and what happened was he had wherewithal that the guy next that was in front of him didn't block him, and he was like, oh, I'm going to go and see what happened. Right, he had a free run.
Speaker 5: Because to notice that and then rush and still block it right that he really.
Speaker 4: Perfect technique and not hit the punter. So it was it was all perfect right until it all bounces. Turpin said, I was yelling, Peter means, get the hell out of the way, right, he goes, I'm sure he couldn't hear me because of the punt block. Everybody's roaring, right, and there's a lot of noise, and you know, and.
Speaker 3: You're involved in the double team exactly right, and you're the ball he and Fossil said.
Speaker 4: He said he didn't see the ball block, so he saw the ball coming at him and and.
Speaker 2: What do we do?
Speaker 4: Right and so but so Fossil goes through this whole thing, and then he gets asked a question about, well, this has been a weird year because you guys on special teams have made like three mistakes. That's where I was hitted and and when I heard the question, I kind of right retracted and I'm going, well, I don't know if there are three mistakes, and Fossil, being the nice guy he is, he goes, well, if you want to blame somebody, blame me. I'm the coach, right uh, And I'm going okay, mistake is a pretty harsh word to use. And we got done. Somebody was walking by when I went upstairs, and I said, this is one of the those days. I still wish Parcels was here because if he had gotten that question, he would have said, what the blah blah blah are you talking about? And he would have given him grief. But these guys, and I told Fossil, I said, you were too nice. I said, good thing. It wasn't me because I would have reacted. I don't know that you call it a mistake. And he had the best line ever. He was talking about the difficulties on special teams. You can't practice everything. You can talk about stuff and everything, but you can't practice it right. And he said, so the bottom line is, don't let your babies grow up to be special teams players.
Speaker 3: How perfect, how perfect?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: And that's kind of the bottom line because there's so many factors that go into every player as a player.
Speaker 5: And I'm not dumping anything on Fossil at all as a coach to his players. You gotta let him know the rules first, and you operate within that right, which is still in this particular situation, meaning, oh, did I say his name?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: That's my first time ever saying it. Uh, he didn't.
Speaker 5: That was just one of those situations. Now, if you're talking about the fake punts and things of that nature, that's not luck.
Speaker 2: That's just bad execution.
Speaker 4: Right, or you got sucked into one, right, right, right? So so so somebody asked him, He goes, well, this happened a couple of years ago with Makuamu, right. They was it a block punt that he grabbed and then he fumbled it away and then the Leon Lett thing, right, Okay, Leon's thing was totally different. No, that's not that's he didn't know the rules, right, and he's going to do something he didn't to do.
Speaker 2: Coach wasn't even here. Coach Fossil wasn't.
Speaker 4: Here, right, So they asked him.
Speaker 2: So now they went back.
Speaker 4: He was asked, so, after the Macarmick thing, do you talk to the team about that stuff? And he goes, yeah, we you know, we pointed out and everything, and I'm going a worryer wasn't here, then he wouldn't have heard that speech after that happened. As a matter of fact, he just got here, so they wouldn't have been before the game. Now, if we block a punt, don't touch.
Speaker 5: It, well, I think he knew that right away. I think he already knew that. Yes, But once again, it was just a situation. You weren't expecting a block, you were expecting a return.
Speaker 4: And he didn't know it was You didn't hear anything, no idea, anything, His back was to all the actions.
Speaker 5: So in that case, totally a missa, just your bad circumstances. You just in a bad, bad situation that you couldn't really anticipate. But once again, when you start talking about.
Speaker 4: The bad calls, if the calls are bad, yeah, okay, it's a bad call. I don't know that it's a mistake. It's just a bad call because how many how many times in offensive coordinator calls to play and it doesn't work. Is it a mistake or is it a bad call?
Speaker 5: It's different with special team is yeah, it's different special team because you know.
Speaker 4: You only got so many opportunities.
Speaker 5: So I wouldn't I think what the reason I brought it up was because we're looking at really the strength of our team, that just ironically happens to be the part of it that we lost in the most critical situation.
Speaker 4: I mean, he could have thought it was a fumble.
Speaker 5: Yeah, stuff, it's the guy could have tried to run the ball. As far as he's concerned. The guy could have tried to run the ball, right, So you know this, This is still the strength of our team as far as I'm concerned. It's just so ironic that that would be the one that yeah, man.
Speaker 3: Because think about it. How many times do you see a punt, whether it's partially blocked or off the side of a foot. How many times in the NFL does a does a pump wind up in the in the area that that one was going forward?
Speaker 5: It was no more than ten yards, I believe from the line of I mean rarely, no, was it was further.
Speaker 4: Down well, they were at twenty nine from the twenty right, and it bounced at about the thirty eight Yeah, yeah, okay, twenty yards twenty some yards.
Speaker 3: I mean it's just rare. So it flashes through your mind. I don't know, anything flashes through your mind. You're just the balls there.
Speaker 5: It's there, and it's coming at me, right, that's all he knows. Hey, the ball's coming at me. Now, No, Peter, no man, I'm not Peter.
Speaker 3: Come on, and you don't know where that ball's how that ball is going to bounce when it bounced, it could bounce and hit you in the foot.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: His only, his only, if you're going to criticize anything, is that he has no hands.
Speaker 2: That he thought he was hit.
Speaker 3: By fielding it.
Speaker 4: It's why he's a cornerback, right, not a wide receiver.
Speaker 3: But it could just as easily have if he lays off it. It could have bounced and kicked right into his foot.
Speaker 4: Or it could have hit somebody else. Now, the best thing would have ben if it would have hit one of the Bengals, and then it's a dead balls.
Speaker 3: And then you can pick it up and run with it right and try to score and it doesn't matter what happens after that. If it's a negative for the return team, it goes back to where the punt team touched it.
Speaker 5: I think they I think on TV they went back to like three different instances where we that happened to us before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, at least two, at least the Macomo and then Leon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it was another one there was.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, no I said, I said Macomo na shon right, I spoke against Denver. Yeah right, he tried to pick it up and run I think or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, so it was uh, yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was quite a little.
Speaker 4: But he gave well the other thing way by play of the play on the call and what everybody was supposed to do, and and then it was well, you know, did you have to talk to Jerry? And he goes, well, yeah, I talked to Jerry all the time, and he asked good questions because after the game, Jerry was like, well, I'm not sure why we had a punt block on Well, everybody heard that, but he didn't hear. They didn't hear what he said on the fan the next morning after he found out what happened and what the call was, and he basically said, well, he goes, after talking to everybody, he goes it wasn't a punt block.
Speaker 3: So that's why the reporters were asking Fossil about talking with Jerry. Yes, And so what they're getting at is how okay, so how often does that happen. Did you get scolded, you get sent to the principal's.
Speaker 2: Office, did you talk to That's crazy.
Speaker 7: Right, But that's why the question, that's why the question was asked. You said, but we shout by the top of my head coach.
Speaker 4: His initial answer, his initial answer was, well, yeah, he's the GM. He asked good questions.
Speaker 3: That's what Macarthy said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Macarthy, Yeah, I saw that. I saw that man.
Speaker 4: So anyway, protocol and once again, this team can't just lose a game. There's got to be a reason, right, or somebody's fault.
Speaker 3: All right, we're just getting started on a happy birthday edition of Mixed Shots. We're not going to ask how old Mickey is when we come back here on mix Shots.
Speaker 5: It's daw Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You wanna stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports tools, you can visit Cowboys travel dot Com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 8: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Doak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Scott slides for the first.
Speaker 8: Down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie and crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect throw.
Speaker 3: My goodness, wow, did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 8: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 9: Hey y'all, Mattman of meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yeti Cowboys gears now available at stadium, pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com. Check it out today yeti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 1: The Mixed Shots.
Speaker 5: The most electrifying event of the holiday season is here. Cowboys Christmas Extravaganza paused by Reliance is back at the Star in Frisco. Join us every Friday and Saturday night from November twenty second through December twenty first for a spectacular holiday show with Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders, Rhythm and Blue, Rowdy, Santa Claus, and surprise tree lighting appearances from your favorite Cowboys heroes. Best of all, the show is free spags. For details, visit one Word Thestardistrict dot com. Don't miss out on the holiday magic.
Speaker 4: They didn't charge me last Friday night.
Speaker 3: Last Friday night, you went a high school game.
Speaker 4: Oh but that takes place right before.
Speaker 3: Did you see Santas?
Speaker 4: He was gone by time?
Speaker 3: I think the.
Speaker 11: Next Oh, okay, you're ahead of Okay, what else you got might be?
Speaker 3: There might be another high school game there. We're under the straight semi finals.
Speaker 4: Highland Park.
Speaker 3: It's like Highland Park's home field. I wonder why that is h Hyland Park's playing Denton Ryan. Yes, yeah, yes, our guys playing South Oak Cliff the five A and you've got well the big one. The big one is Duncanville in North Crowley South Lake. Carrol's playing long View and that wraps up the five A and six. Soto got beat by long View.
Speaker 4: Damn. Yeah, that's my mom's hometown, got beat back to.
Speaker 2: That's what my people are from Parkway twenty.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, I've seen the sign.
Speaker 3: They're playing at s m U on Saturday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Long View.
Speaker 3: It's like CARROLLNS fifty to fourteen. What Yeah, Desota lost their running back in the first half of that game.
Speaker 4: So there's two games at SMU.
Speaker 3: There's one on Friday night is Argyle in South Olk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'd go to that, but getting to SMU on a Friday it's really hard.
Speaker 2: Park.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the park the Duncanville North Crowley game is at Allan Eagles Stadium Saturday talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, much easier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's a bigger stadium. Yeah, I'm kidding, but so close. It's high school.
Speaker 4: It's the weekend of the state champion next week. It's next week.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: So we're home and we are home, and former Texas high school football state champion Baker Mayfield and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will be here probably about I think he was at Lake Travis and he probably is probably twenty eleven or so, so it's like thirteen years after he won a state championship in that stadium to be playing the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: So I got to plan my schedule watching first round of the college and.
Speaker 3: Then okay, we get you up to speed on what what is meaningful to watch?
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: I got to give my schedule College football Playoff. It's amazing. I've got this off the top of my head. All right, College football Playoff starts a week from Friday, and that is the Indiana Notre Dame game at Friday.
Speaker 4: Night game okay, Okay, Then.
Speaker 3: The triple header on Saturday, the twenty first starts at eleven am with SMU at Penn State. Three o'clock is Clemson at Texas, and the night game is Tennessee at Ohio State.
Speaker 4: Okay, and then the Cowboys play.
Speaker 3: And the Cowboys will play Sunday night against Tampa Bay that week, and then the next round they have the College Playoff. They go, they advance to New Year's even New Year's Day for the quarterfinals.
Speaker 2: And then all of the TNT stadium.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, the quarterfinals. All right, Bowl games like Oregon is playing in the Rows Bowl and Boise's going to the Fiesta.
Speaker 4: It's a mid week game.
Speaker 3: Tuesday's Tuesday, I mean the traditional bowl games that are played on New Year's and New Year's Day. And then fast forward to the semifinals.
Speaker 4: That was my next question.
Speaker 3: The semifinals. One of the semifinal games will be played in Arlington at the Cotton Bowl.
Speaker 4: And what first weekend and.
Speaker 3: That is like January tenth or so. That's so that's when the Cotton Bowl game will be played this year.
Speaker 5: So we got nothing in College this weekend in regards to the.
Speaker 3: Army Navy game and the Heisman Trophy it will be presented. And that's news as well. Flat Howboys fans looking ahead to the draft. Your finalists for the Heisman Trophy, which will be presented on Saturday night. Moore, Guys, You've got Travis Hunter, the combo corner receiver from Colorado, who's the favorite, although close to him is Ashton Genty, the running back from Boise State, who's from right here down the road at Frisco Lone Star Heights Schami and Miami quarterback the Award, and the Oregon quarterback Dylan Gabriel. Finalists probably coming down to Hunter or Genty, and most give Hunter the edge, but yeah, I do too. Yeah, I really like he's not getting the same kind of buzz he is not the others are.
Speaker 2: Well, he lost that last game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Colorado lost, so yeah, but that's totally different.
Speaker 3: And Genty and Boise's only lost West Oregon by three points, right, and Dylan Gabriel quarterback. Oregon are the only unbeaten team in the country.
Speaker 5: So you were talking about the intellect of one of the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's another thing we got to point out is the Campbell Trophy was presented this morning by the National Football Foundation, and the winner of the Campbell Trophy, which is the academic Heisman, which went, I start my big green notebook on the draft. This is a big entry right now, and it's the Alabama quarterback Jalen Milroe wins the Campbell Trophy, the academic Heisman.
Speaker 4: And that was last night, right, it may have been last night in Vegas.
Speaker 5: I think I thought the Travis Hunter was four point zero. Well, I don't know, that's what That's what I heard it was. He's also very okay, man, so I thought maybe he would win that since they don't want him to win the Jim Thorpe Award.
Speaker 2: He can't, right, does not? I don't know, man.
Speaker 5: That's we gotta talk, dude. We gotta talk about this. This is your this is your purview right here. How does how does Travis Hunter not end up with the at least being a final consider for the Jim Thorpe Award.
Speaker 3: Which goes to the top defensive back in the country.
Speaker 4: Right, They're just not giving him credit, boys.
Speaker 3: Right, he had a chance to win the Thorpe Award and the Bullet and the horning for the most versatile player and just give them all to it.
Speaker 4: Well, it's like the NFL. So you got somebody that's going to be the nf AFC NFC Offensive Player of the Year, but they're not going to be the NFL Player of the.
Speaker 2: Year, right, crazy man, you celebrate, don't get both.
Speaker 5: This is a unique moment in college it is, and for them not to acknowledge that that just makes no sense to me. It's like, now, we we just choose to do this of our own volition. We don't feel like giving, we don't feel like it. We just don't feel like it. So no one's had to answer for that.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's I don't know if you know.
Speaker 2: You media guys can be such what sometimes.
Speaker 4: Man, you're with us.
Speaker 5: You know, I still think about you back when they're trying to go and ask the referees questions after the game and they punk you guys with cigarette smoking all that might as well.
Speaker 3: By the way, the award winners will be announced tomorrow night. Thursday night is when they have the for all the awards, for all the awards outside of the Heisman. The Heisman Saturday.
Speaker 4: Night, when they do it tomorrow night. So Thursday night football and awards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on Thursday night football is Rams.
Speaker 2: Yeah big, that's big too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, forty nine ers. You're battling trying to stay in it.
Speaker 2: Boy, Matthew is still hanging in there. Boy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: How about that game that that Bill's Rams game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was thinking that game was long over, and then I caught back up on it.
Speaker 2: And saw what the score was.
Speaker 4: And it was like, are you kidding me? They came back like that?
Speaker 5: You think Josh is going to keep passing the ball like that? He's gonna I'm running this thing.
Speaker 3: He had combined six touchdowns, three passing and three rushing. It's only happened one other time in the history of professional football, or at least the NFL.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 6: And by the way, Travis Hunter was not a finalist for the Campbell. He did not have a four point zero Just letting you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, what did they say, do they have any They.
Speaker 6: Have all the ones that were nominated and only two of them had four o's.
Speaker 3: Can you run down that list?
Speaker 6: It's about fifteen.
Speaker 3: I thought I thought it was more like one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 4: Now the finalist, it's not like the seniors.
Speaker 3: Like one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 6: It is funny looking at because it has their their GPA and their their their their actual like their degree or their their major major. Uh jam and Melrose was management. Okay, being a quarterback, that doesn't shock me so much. I do think a couple of them on here was Luke Lehman, quarterback from North Central Illinois. He's a three seven six. His major's exercise science.
Speaker 2: That's just interesting.
Speaker 4: Physiology.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: The quarterback for South Dakota State is mechanical engineering. He has a three seven six.
Speaker 4: That's that's not easy either.
Speaker 2: And so you don't have you don't even have Hunter on there.
Speaker 6: He is not as a finalist. Would you like a two hundred four semi finalists? I'm going to go through.
Speaker 3: That's what I was alluding to. I wanted you to read off the two hundred and four sim final all right, how about this? Oh, this is interesting Past winners of the Campbell Trophy Academic Heisman. Last year's winner, Bo Nicks, quarterback Oregon. Okay, you see why I had him listed as one of the quarterbacks that I was really intrigued by because he was the academic Heisman.
Speaker 2: Well, he's getting a lot of a lot of games.
Speaker 3: The year before twenty twenty two, Iowa linebacker Jack Campbell, Detroit Lions first round draft pick. Charlie Kohlar tied end from Iowa State, who's playing pretty well for the Baltimore Ravens. Right now, go back to twenty nineteen Oregon quarterback. Oh, I'm sorry, Oregon quarterback. Oh got Justin Herbert. Justin Herbert wanted in twenty nineteen. Twenty eighteen Clemson defensive tackle Christian Wilkins, about that. He's turned that into quite a contract. He's with the Raiders now, but he signed a one hundred million dollar contract after excelling with the Dolphins. Let's see, and we go on back to Emmanuel Occhio's brothers. Sam Ocho wanted in twenty ten.
Speaker 2: Is he from here? Yes?
Speaker 3: Saint Mark's High School in Dallas And two thousand and nine Tim Tebow won it and Chad Pennington won it. Once upon a Time nineteen ninety seven, a guy by the name of Peyton Man want. So there's trip down memory Lane with an NFL touch to it.
Speaker 4: I don't know if the Iowa State defensive tackle was on that list that I told you about yesterday Dominica Orange. Mm hm, big Citrus, Big Citrus. I just had to get big Citrus in Son.
Speaker 3: You were talking about that, the big championship game you're watching.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, anything else you want to add in this segment before we move on to that.
Speaker 4: A couple of things for in the next one.
Speaker 3: Okay, A couple of things for the next segment from the Birthday Boy when Mixed Shots continues at a moment.
Speaker 9: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated Colster cankuler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gears now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yettie dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win. Slides for the first down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Perfect throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needles?
Speaker 8: Visit blockchain dot com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 5: Star Sports Tools is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregames, sideline access, and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk exit with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 12: Today Cowboys Football and Miller Lite.
Speaker 4: What a pairing can cracks? A kickoff tailgates.
Speaker 12: Going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes followed by.
Speaker 4: Monday morning Swagger Brisket and the Smoker.
Speaker 12: Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's Greatest Sports. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys football tastes like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three, Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 1: Devict Shuts.
Speaker 5: Capture a frame worthy family holiday photo with Santa at the Star Brazil by Monument Realty. Santa will be spreading holiday cheer at his Cowboys themed cottage in the district Star District from November twenty second through December twenty fourth. For more information and to book your visit, head to the Star District dot com slash Santa.
Speaker 3: All right, we got a special guest set has joined us here.
Speaker 11: And so have you ever thought about being Santa Claus?
Speaker 3: What you said when you came in here? You came in here and you wish you Ma happy birthday? You said something else?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he told us all the white guys, then go to Jacksonville State.
Speaker 3: You got a reverence to Jacksonville State.
Speaker 4: I just picked a good team. I know they were in the playoffs and they won.
Speaker 3: They blow him out right kick dass one in the Conference USA Championship. If we had a sixteen team playoff, they would be playing Oregon in the first Conference The USA.
Speaker 4: Doesn't be in Florida because it's because of Jacksonvilleville.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's Jacksonville University. It's in Jacksonville, Florida.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But still the artist Gilmore went there. No, I'm going to look it up.
Speaker 2: I think so. I thought.
Speaker 4: I think he's right.
Speaker 2: I know he's from Jacksonville. Period. He's from the from the city of Jacksonville, Florida.
Speaker 3: But he may not.
Speaker 2: No, No, I should have bet you up into that one.
Speaker 5: I thought the Skillmore was some of Jacksonville.
Speaker 2: It means real cool.
Speaker 3: He Okay, you want bet?
Speaker 4: How old is he? How old is he?
Speaker 2: Okay, let's bet Jacksonville from Jacksonville.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, But I'm saying he went to Jacksonville University.
Speaker 2: Said Jacksonville State.
Speaker 3: No, No, Jacksville, say, I'm saying Jacksonville in Florida.
Speaker 5: Oh No, I know he's from Jacksonville in Florida, that I do know.
Speaker 3: No, he went to high school in Dothan, Alabama.
Speaker 2: Oh damn.
Speaker 3: He went to Gardner Webb and then Jacksonville in Alabama. No, Jacksonville Dolphins in Florida, in Florida.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, that's right there you go.
Speaker 4: Well I thought Jacksonville.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jacksonville State is in Alabama.
Speaker 3: Alabama, and Jasonville University is in Jacksonville, Florida.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jacksonville.
Speaker 2: So I thought he was from Jacksonville.
Speaker 3: Well, he went to high school in Alabama, but he was born in Florida.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's I talked to him and he blags on Jacksonville all the time.
Speaker 3: So he was in the transfer portal. Yeah, something was going on. He moved to Dothan, Alabama.
Speaker 2: He bags on being from Jacksonville all the time.
Speaker 4: What air did he switch schools? Like when did Yeah, there have to be something going on with that, that's what iah. It was the seventies, right.
Speaker 3: Well, he was born in Jacksonville, you, mickey, he's seventy five.
Speaker 4: Okay, he's older now. Okay, but see when he went to college, maybe he couldn't get in in certain spots.
Speaker 3: So nineteen sixty seven he went to Gardner Webb and then sixty nine to seventy one Jacksonville.
Speaker 2: See, yeah, that's weird.
Speaker 3: I love artist Gilboy.
Speaker 4: Well that was cool nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 3: You said Jackson nineteen graduated in seventy one.
Speaker 4: So think about it. Yeah, Bold Miss wasn't integrating till it might have been seventy one, seventy two. There you go, think about it.
Speaker 3: Okay, here you go. When public schools were integrated, he attended Chipley High School for Okay, Okay, he went, I get Okay. When public schools were integrated, he attended Chipley High School for one week before leaving home to attend Carver High School in Dulton, Alabama.
Speaker 2: There you go, because they integrated.
Speaker 3: And that's located down south in Alabama, just well, thirty five miles north of Chipley Ford. Not not to open.
Speaker 2: Up, let's just cut all of that with the same pen, whole position.
Speaker 3: Would the artist Gilmour have played in the NFL at seven feet two inches tall?
Speaker 4: Defense too tall Jones? Or tight end to one other? Two? Uh? Not to open up this can of worms. But why do you think Walter Payton went to Jackson State Integration?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that.
Speaker 4: Did a story on him. Eighty five Super Bowl. Me and my college roommate, who was working in Atlanta at that time, went to Columbia Mississippi, where he was from, and we were going to just see if it was a big deal in Columbia that Walter Peyton was in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I mean in the Super Bowl right down the road in New Orleans. So we went around and we saw some people talking about him and they had signs up, and then we went to the school. Well, we go to the school and it's it's four o'clock, schools out, and we're driving in the parking lot and we see this guy come walking out and he goes, what your boys doing here? And it's like, well, you know, we were doing this on Walter Peyton. And he goes, well, this is your lucky day. I was his high school football coach. Last name was Boston. The first name is skipping me, but it was Ralph Boston, the long jumper Olympics. Yeah, that was his brother.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: All right, So we started talking to him about Walter and he started telling us the Charles Boston thank you, started telling us the stories about the schools integrated Walter's sophomore or junior year, and they couldn't decide who was going to be the head coach. The white school head coach or the black him. And so they decided they would be co head coaches. And the integration part in that time was very difficult. And so they played the first game and I don't know if the story got exaggerator or what, but the first time Walter touched the ball, he runs seventy yards for a touchdown. He must have scored three touchdowns in the game, right, And all of a sudden, mister Boston says, it didn't matter what color you were, as long as you were winning the game. And he goes, and Walter did more for integration in this city than any other person. It was one of those weird things. He had to go home, he said, oh you know.
Speaker 3: He started talking.
Speaker 4: He goes, I got so much to tell you, but mom was waiting for me for dinner. Right, He goes, why don't you boys come over to the house. We go to the house, sit on the porch. She brings out iced tea, and we must have talked another hour. It was like the most fortunate thing might have happened to me in my writing career. Right, and he's sitting on the porch and he goes, yeah, you see that field out there, Well, that's where I saw Walter playing junior high and he goes, he didn't want to play football because he was in the band. And if he was in the band, he could. They said he couldn't play football because you have to march at halftime. And he goes, well, I took care of that. He goes, he can do both and march with his uniform, right, And he says, and you see the store across the street, that's where all the kids went and bought their candy right there, and it was it was, it was phenomenal. Yeah. Absolutely, And let me get this in, so let.
Speaker 3: Me before you do that. Yes, all right, on this to go Walter Peyton. You know the two Pro Football Hall of famers that played with Walter Peyton at Jackson State. At Jackson State Okay Brazil, Yeah, Robert Brazil and the other Jackie Slater. Oh wow, Okay.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 4: And that's where they had no other choice. Right at that time, Switzer couldn't recruit everybody, yeah, or or Duffy Doherty at Michigan State because I made that mistake. I interviewed some guy from a little small town in Mississippi, and uh, he ended up being an NFL star and he went to Michigan State and I'm talking in high school. He was so good, big guy too. And I go, so you mean Mississippi, Oh, miss Mississippi State Southern didn't recruit you. And he looked at me and where are you from? Boy? And I said, I said Chicago. And then I knew what was coming. He goes, those opportunities weren't a y old for men like me. Right, So Duffy Doherty was recruiting Mississippi to get all these great athletes at Michigan State.
Speaker 3: At that time, it just occurred to me, you know, Barry Switcher's greatest accomplishment might have been breaking the color barrier. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no doubt about it. There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 4: I mean it was real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was. I was, My.
Speaker 5: Dad and I were Oklahoma fans because Texas wasn't signing any black players. And so that's how I'm still owe you to this day, just simply because of that. I'm talking about going back when I was nine years old.
Speaker 4: I mean, we took it for granted. It didn't dawn on me, right, and it's like you gotta.
Speaker 2: Get but some love too. Wilklson. Yeah, yeah, gotta get but some love on that.
Speaker 4: And then Bear Bryant came around, right.
Speaker 3: And Chuck Fairbanks was the head coach when Switzer was the assistant, right, so, and guys like Greg Pruett came in and.
Speaker 4: So, okay, anyway, well we got off topic here. Let's clear this up. And so I don't know that I've seen so many people have an injury have such a profound effect on this injury to Demarvian overshown everybody talking about it or whatever. So they asked Mike Zimmer during his press conference yesterday about Demarvian and he went on about him and everything, and then somebody said, so, does he remind you of any player you've had that just had that kind of impact, right, And he kind of hemmed and hard and he goes, you know, he goes Darren Woodson, and I'm going, Okay, that's a high compliment. We're talking a ring of honor, a member who should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: I'd say that's as close a comparison.
Speaker 4: And I was thinking about it, and it reminded me of this story about Woody. He got here from Arizona State as a high bred linebacker, and Jimmy wasn't sure what to do with him, like if he was ready to make the transition to safety. And Campbell was the one that basically scouted him at Arizona State and put in the word that we can use this guy. So they draft him in the second round and they're going to convert him to safety, but they wouldn't sure if he was ready. So basically he spent his rookie year playing special teams. Then the second year, it's like, Okay, this guy's pretty darn good. You're our safety. Not only the safety, he was the slot corner on the nickel though in his second third, maybe not his second year when he first started, but eventually right. And so I remember ninety three when he started and he was having a great year. I was talking with Jimmy and I I was asking him about Darren Woodson, and he goes, might have been my biggest personnel mistake ever. He goes, I didn't think he was ready to play safety in the NFL. He was more than ready, and I wasted him on special teams. And that's how Goodwoody is. And to compare Overshown with wood he is pretty high praise and think he's only played thirteen NFL games. He's been awfully good and everybody wants to talk about him. Parsons tearing up talking about the injury. It's a tough injury to come back from, and we talked about it kind of briefly yesterday, but eventually it came out that he tore every cl you have in your knees alphabet. Now, I was told that the fortunate thing, if there's a fortunate thing and a bad injury like that, is he didn't damage his meniscus, and as we know, that's not something they can replace. They can try and regenerate it, but they can't replace it. But he didn't tear that and it didn't sound like he suffered nerve damage either. So it's a long rehab. I mean, he may miss next year, but you know, I've heard that still got a smile on his face, and it's like, okay, we got to get started. Let's go.
Speaker 5: You know, his just the dynamic way that he plays, his just a burst of athleticism on the plays, especially that he makes that make a difference. He reminds me a lot of Michael. He really does the way he's able to close the gets yes, that's what I'm talking about, to where it puts more pressure. It's like the offender he's not aware of just what's coming and how fast it's coming, and when they see how fast it is, then they're kind of surprised about it. That's how you make turnovers. That's how you make plays, you know, because not only it's what happens before you make the play, it's the it's the energy that goes into attacking that player, that offender. It's something that it intimidates him a little bit.
Speaker 3: The other thing that Zimmer said that was interesting was he adjusted how he was using his personnel packages coming into this season based on what he once he was able to see up close Overshown's athleticism and his speed, and now he's got to be on the field because you remember back in training camp, we were seeing Parsons lining up more off the ball as a linebacker or whatever. And well, Overshown obviously was going to be starting, and so he took in, which put Parsons back as an edge.
Speaker 4: And I think initially he was thinking, this is my nickel linebacker.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, and so in sub packages and.
Speaker 4: Sub packages and then it was like oh no, he's on the field the whole time, so many different ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he needs to get sixty five snaps a game.
Speaker 4: So now it looks like well, I mean they finished the game with Leophile taking his spot, so I would imagine we.
Speaker 2: Did a pretty good He had a second and a half.
Speaker 4: And one of his deals coming out of you probably have it in your notebook coming out of Notre Dame that he was a pretty good coverage linebacker. I remember reading about that that he could cover, So I would think maybe they thought forward.
Speaker 3: I thought going back to the draft that Zimmer probably saw some Eric Kendricks in lea foulon.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same body type up, same.
Speaker 4: He's so rangy, long arms, And I remember it was early I can't remember the game or who the quarterback was, but there was a quarterback rolling out and he thought he was going to get around the corner and here comes over shown out of nowhere right and nails them. And I think the quarterback thought I got the corner right, Well, no you don't.
Speaker 2: That's that's sudden this I'm talking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he just shot out of the cannon to get to him.
Speaker 3: All right, trying to wrap things up. Well past time to wrap things up. By the way, speaking of Darren Woodson, of course, he is one of the twenty five players still under consideration for the Hall of Fame class of twenty twenty five. And in case you're wondering, these selectors will reduce the number to fifteen finalists and those names will be announced on December twenty eighth through the Hall of Fame and on the NFL network. So that's when it goes down to fifteen. Mark that down twenty eight, All.
Speaker 2: Right, that does you? Birthday?
Speaker 4: Oh wow, another December birthday.
Speaker 3: And that's Saturday, right, I don't know, twenty eight.
Speaker 4: Twenty Christmas is twenty fifth, Wednesday, twenty six, way seven Saturday, Saturday eighth, Yeah, Wednesday, all right, so we won't have a.
Speaker 3: Show that day, so we'll have you. You might have to do it on twenty seven.
Speaker 4: All right, Game Day Friday.
Speaker 3: That does it for this edition of mix Shots. Everybody send happy birthday greetings. Mickey s bag noa, what are you on Twitter?
Speaker 4: Something at spags fifty two?
Speaker 3: There you go, all right.
Speaker 4: Every month I've given up on social media.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, all right, talk at you. Oh, we won't be here Tomorrow Friday. Here Tomorrow Friday on mix Shots Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboy