Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 1: Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This is Mick Shots, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com.
Speaker 1: And the official Dallas Cowboys apt now.
Speaker 2: Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And it is a Tuesday here inside the SWBC podcast studio at the Star in Frisco. And this is Mick Shots, Bill Jones, Mickey Spagnola with a very special guest at least for a little while today, Nate in Frisco is here.
Speaker 4: Nate, Man, I'm gonna apologize to you guys. I have a parents at twelve thirty, so I'm thinking and I'm going by. I'm just so I'm watched out.
Speaker 1: Man. I can't. I can to get into the routine of what we're doing.
Speaker 5: Around Where are you appearing?
Speaker 1: I'm peering up in the auditoriy.
Speaker 4: You might have to do something for some fans a little quick telling him about my life, and you know.
Speaker 3: We'll structure the show around you. When I got to leave.
Speaker 4: It about five about five minutes, man, what do you have? I'm sorry if you had to prepare for it for that up there no, I don't have to prepare for but I'm not a late person.
Speaker 1: I'm so nervous when i'm late.
Speaker 5: Well, you've got five.
Speaker 3: Minutes to go up, go back the curtain. Here Everson Walls called in sick today because he's playing in Charles Haley's golf.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, gonna beat him to death with Haley.
Speaker 5: Had a fundraiser.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Tackle Tomorrow and Dak Dak did a super speech last night. Oh really, all those Hall of famers and.
Speaker 5: I couldn't believe the people that were there.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was hundreds of people there. And and Dak came in because Charles talked about him early in the program and saying, you know, Dak not only talks about Tackle Tomorrow and mental health, he gives a lot of money and I'm not going to mention the number, and he's but he mentioned the number.
Speaker 1: And I was like, wow, that's sweet. And he said Dak should be here.
Speaker 4: And about an hour in, right after the auction, here comes Dack in short pants and you know it's pat you know, football hat, and he talks about this and and just.
Speaker 1: You know, most people have.
Speaker 4: Charities and can't talk about them, but his knowledge of his charity and of Charles. You can tell something, yes, and he's from the heart, talking to the superintendents, talking to the principals. Charles put on it. The people that help Charles put on a first class deal. I mean you should come next year, y'all. I'm telling you it is something special. All means Joe Green, Uh, Eric Dickerson, you name him, Ricky Uh for the seat for the Saints.
Speaker 1: I can't think of Ricky's last Ricky Jackson.
Speaker 4: Hell, yeah, guys just show up, man, Marcus Allen, you know I.
Speaker 5: Think I saw ye, Marcus Allen.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean usually Doug show up, Doug with I mean, they are there in droves for Charles. And they those people, all the sponsors, all the people that invite, they write checks.
Speaker 1: They don't joke, they don't know. They write checks.
Speaker 4: And uh, it's just amazing what Charles to do. And he's like, man, I want to come on to your podcast. I said, Charles, I say, you know, we don't know what you're gonna say. I talk about tackle for Tomorrow. Yeah, you know you'll start out that way. When it ended up, somebody's gonna be an m o.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'd have to have how long of a delay?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, Chris, because the last time I had him on when we did the Legend show and he he dropped, uh whatever body yeah, And I said, Charles, you can't do that. We're live radio. He goes, you mean I can't say.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: So anyway, so we learned that Everson had a tea time at noon and so he couldn't be here, okay, And so then Nate's got my producer Supreme's office, and then producer Supreme said, hey, Nate, you want to fill in for ever since?
Speaker 1: So every said I got excited because I had a chance to pick at you. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so Nate shows up here like ten minutes early, ready to roll. And then as we're coming on the air here he's looking at his phone and he goes, oh, that's right, I've got it. Appearance at twelve thirty.
Speaker 5: Well what if we break twelve overbooked?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, because I got it. I gotta get up there, man, Yeah, you can take the elevator, you know, I can run upstairs. I got new knees. Yeah right. Yeah. I'm the type of guy.
Speaker 4: I was late for something in training camp and almost fell apart and almost couldn't.
Speaker 1: Do the show. I just being late and I can't get past.
Speaker 4: For one of the times I was late and I was a minute late, and it cost me five hundred.
Speaker 5: Bucks when you were playing, yeah, when we were playing.
Speaker 4: Because we started this, I'm sorry. On the shoal Joe Avasona used to have special teams met yes, and I used to be a part of special teams back then. I was on two or three special teams.
Speaker 1: And guys one minute late usually nothing happens. And so but one day.
Speaker 4: Everybody was there and I'm like, coach, everybody here but one guy. I said, when this guy come in here late, he getting a maximum flying. Well, the maximum flying back there was maybe fifteen hundred if a guy missed the whole meeting. But we're like, uh huh, every minute it's one hundred bucks. Then it got to be two hundred bucks. So you show up in there about five or six minutes late, you could be out on thousand dollars real easy. So all our meetings started five minutes till that's how it got five minutes till a guy walked in three minutes heard no, that's.
Speaker 1: A thousand dollars dog. So our meeting started five minutes early, and for some reason, I can't break it.
Speaker 3: That's good, I can't break it. Good habit not to break.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it showed up a minute late.
Speaker 4: Me I should have a minute late. Yeah, but just before we started. But after I got away with that, I saw.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine how much that would take the stress out of your life if you if you use that formula all the time? Just if a meeting starts at noon, show up at eleven thirty, eleven forty five?
Speaker 4: Yes, then two o'clock, right, Michael Irvin does?
Speaker 1: Is the other eighty eight? Like that?
Speaker 5: Is?
Speaker 1: Uh city? Like that?
Speaker 3: Play showed up late for preseason?
Speaker 1: Michael Irvin dies and they both said the same thing. Hey, Mike, say the clock. Okay, let's get started. But it was a fifteen.
Speaker 4: Hey, Danes, is that o'clock? Eight fifteen? Let's get started? Is all eighty eighths like that?
Speaker 1: I know? Drew one like that because you had to be on time.
Speaker 5: Has almost missed the trip to London?
Speaker 1: Oh no, oh, he showed up.
Speaker 5: He show if we were leaving at four o'clock. He pulled into the parking lot, but still had to go through security. Matter about three fifty eight.
Speaker 3: That was at Valley Ranch. I remember I was doing a live shot outside the facility out on the street and the buses were still there. All right, supposed to leave it four o'clock, and it was like four point thirty before the buses leap. Well, the reason was because Dez showed up late and he had to go get stuff for the trip.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 3: All right, let's in our limited time we have with a six time Pro Bowl offensive lineman. Tell me what you saw out of these offensive linemen. By the way, I'll add that there's report that Cowboys have restructured Terrence Steel's contract for ing up four and a half million dollars at cap space this morning. Oh so no, I'm not sure what they're going to do with that cap space. But tell me what you saw out of the offensive lineman, especially the two.
Speaker 4: Rookies, starting with the left tackle, Tyler Guidon. Tyler Guidon, Oklahoma's finest.
Speaker 3: Trent Williams might be their fight. I'm followed by Lane Johnson.
Speaker 1: That's a beast. He mentioned that name.
Speaker 4: That's a h of a man from real But anyway, this young guy has defeat. We knew that has the recovery. We knew that, but I preached all camp Loannick technique, technique, technique. He spent the majority of the game not trusting his strength in the length of his arms.
Speaker 1: He leaning on this guy. He leaning on this guy leaning.
Speaker 4: He all he has to do is he got the foot speed to kick back with the proper on angles. But he wanted for some reason. I guess he mauled a lot of guys in cottage. But he has the strength and he just got to learn your punch. He could have redirected this guy, and by the end of the game, the way that game is going, he could have wore him down.
Speaker 1: But they gave him a lot of help.
Speaker 4: He fought through it, and that is the key in the new NFL being able to hem.
Speaker 1: I'm happy. I'm proud of him. He fought through the game.
Speaker 4: When you play a great player like Miles Garrett and you make it through the game, a desirious, desirous Darius Smith, and you make it through the game only one sack, a couple of tackles, but you made it through the game, and all you have to work on is your technique, your technique, your technique, versus making it through the game and the coach saying, I don't know this dude gonna make it.
Speaker 1: Well, they know he's gonna make it.
Speaker 5: Wasn't Chas Green, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: They've learned the valuable lesson. Well if this coach would have never.
Speaker 1: Let that happen because they gave him help. Yeah, yeah, they gave it health.
Speaker 5: Not every play, but they gave him help.
Speaker 4: I liked early how Zeke went out one time. And I'm not a big proponent with this, with against miles of people going out because he's smart. He'll use that running back against you. But Zeke one time saved his bacon. You saw one time Ferguson saved his bacon. But this kid never stopped fighting. He balled, he balled, he bawled.
Speaker 1: And they helped him. I like how coach McCarthy and coach Salary scheme this up.
Speaker 4: They helped this kid, and they kept him on the move where they kept somebody on the move all the time bumping this kid. So myles, he's hearing the hot tub because he got hit a lot. Now our center.
Speaker 1: Was the helper. I like that not all the time, not know he wasn't.
Speaker 4: Because sometime when they turned the protection. He had to go straight to the guy and all he got was a help in hand. So not all the time, but the majority of his time was helping they run to.
Speaker 1: Even look man over the guard, man over the guard. He had a linebacker.
Speaker 4: Now they hit the a gaps and so he knew who he knew the majority of the time who to get now. One time, this is where Dak earned that nice little paycheck. One time they misread the protection. They was all supposed to go right, you know, but the center went left. I mean, it was all supposed to go left, but the center bumped right first and then went left.
Speaker 1: That left a free man.
Speaker 4: That's when Dak tossed that ball to Brandon Cooks because they blitched.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they blitzedbacker came up. This guy.
Speaker 4: From what I see, that's about Cooper Bebee did a nice job. He did a nice job. He was a helper. But as the season go on, you're gonna have true overs and nus where they put somebody over the center. That's gonna be the true test of how you do things. I don't he didn't blow any protections. He pointed out the strength of everything of the protection.
Speaker 1: So he when he gets on you.
Speaker 4: The difference between him and the other centers is when he gets on you, he gonna move your Oh he's gonna he gonna be stuck to you like a spotty tick on the right on a red bone hound.
Speaker 1: He gonna be stuck to you. So these kids, one thing I like about them. They're fighters.
Speaker 4: And once their technique continue to get better and better, and once they get more and more experience. Uh, I think I haven't looked at the Saints, but they gonna give them a they're gonna get, They're gonna they gonna come in here pumped up. I mean, they just ran over a team, which rightfully so they should have done last week.
Speaker 1: The Saints. But this ain't we ain't.
Speaker 4: We ain't them balls down South. We ain't we ain't NASCAR racing down there. That's racing country. We we bring a different flavor.
Speaker 3: So ryal test for bebe is gonna be uh Baltimore when they got big old Michael Pierre, Yeah yeah, and then the following week the Giants when they've got Dexter Laarnch.
Speaker 4: And I'm gonna tell big I'm gonna tell a big fellow man, just lose your hands into guy chewy fatty duties.
Speaker 1: You know, just make.
Speaker 3: Those are two different problems. Michael Michael Pierce versus Dexter Lawrence. Dexter Lawrence is a problem. He's the Miles Garrett of the inside.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 5: Yes, Schottenheimer said. One of the things get struggled a little bit with the catence, like he wasn't getting off on the snap count. And he said when he gave up the sack, he was late. And what he did instead of backing up square, he dipped his shoulder.
Speaker 1: He tried to turn. Yeah, and they tried to turn.
Speaker 3: And I didn't.
Speaker 5: I never thought of this. So you dip your left shoulder, which means the corner just got shorter. Right, he doesn't have to go as far around.
Speaker 4: Anytime a tackle leans, he's giving up inches.
Speaker 1: Especially these guys like him is still with these loans on.
Speaker 4: Just imagine I'm on Bill and I got my arms out all of a sudden, I bring.
Speaker 1: It in here. That's that's six inches. I bring it in here. That's two feet. If I do this right here, he got me.
Speaker 4: So anytime you don't use that, God gave you them talented long arms like that. Oh man, all he had to do was just sit back, even though he was late. Just come straight back, you know, and try to anchor yourself quick as you can with a punch. That's all he had to do. I mean, now that's easy to say, but from a guy coming off out of college and had no experience but the preseason and not everybody going one hundred miles and only one game in the thank you, thank you, and only one game at left tackle in college. So he fought through this like Swiss to say, I'm sorry, sweet, you don't know what you don't know, but once you saw it, learned it's gonna be a great thing.
Speaker 5: Was the greatest quote.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So and BB, by the way, when he didn't have someone, he went and found someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's active.
Speaker 5: I went back and looked last this morning actually, and on the Zeke's touchdown run, we saw Zeke run through Thornhill. But BB was the reason Thornhill didn't get there in time because he was pulling out and he he just gave him a little shove and it got him off balance and that's why when he got there, he wasn't square. And if you ain't square on Zeke, your your toes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I gotta get out of here.
Speaker 3: Okay, goes twelve fifteen.
Speaker 1: I'll be good, Thank you all right?
Speaker 3: Our thanks to Nate Newton and mix shots continues in just a moment.
Speaker 2: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 5: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less feeling. What are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 6: Look, I'm just reading the script.
Speaker 5: It says less filling.
Speaker 3: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 5: Hell mindset.
Speaker 7: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Middle Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm rashine legal guy. Celebrate responsibily. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands, three point two grams cards for twelve bounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 3: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamoli with real half avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Your k Hero's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 6: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 8: I'm Doak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 9: Snapped the press dout. Who looks right, It's not there. He escaped left. He'll love full first down.
Speaker 8: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 9: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 1: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 8: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 1: Demict Shuts.
Speaker 5: Rally Days presented by seat Geek, give NFL fans an experience of a lifetime the day prior to Dallas Cowboys home games on September fourteenth. Enjoy activities at Miller Lighthouse, get behind the scenes tour of AT and T Stadium and more. Visit attstadium dot com Slash Rally Days for more information and to get your tickets today. And Eversin's right, there needs to be some bigger period, all.
Speaker 3: Right, and rally day on Saturday. Home opener is Sunday. I guess the New Orleans Saints first of two straight home games. Baltimore Ravens will be in here the following Sunday, and Jerry was on the radio. Well, first off, let's go back to yesterday afternoon. Jack paid a visit to the owner's office and signed a contract, and the Jones family was all there. You probably saw the pictures of that, and he tweeted out a message to all Cowboys fans. Afterwards it was posted online and then Jerry was on the radio this morning. What did you take from here?
Speaker 5: So since he signed, I saw some numbers on the contract.
Speaker 3: Oh you got it, okay, And.
Speaker 1: This year.
Speaker 5: His salary cap hit his forty three point three eight million, So it went down because they were able to use his base salary which was twenty nine million and pro rated over the life of the deal. But next year, here's what people don't understand when they think it's just well sixty million a year, and you know, the next year his cap hit is eighty nine point eight eight million dollars, thirty two percent of the salary cap. Think about that. Now, they put voided years at the end, so they're going to be able to pay him money up front restructure it. But the other thing I don't think everybody when everybody says this extension was two hundred and sixty million to forty to forty excuse me. That forty million still had to be accounted for in restructure bonus. So that went against the cap hit, right, So that doesn't go away, And.
Speaker 3: So why it's up to eighty nine point eight million next year is because that million, yeah factored.
Speaker 5: In and so uh and if you look at it, uh, the guarantee at signing was one hundred and twenty nine million, which was his base salary this year, his forty seven point seventy five million base next year, and the eighty million dollar signing bonus. So that was the guaranteed. Now the other guarantees are like if he's on the roster March whatever in twenty twenty five, at guarantees twenty twenty six, and it goes on and on and on. But just to understand what those cap hits are over the life of the contract, then it's sixty eight million, sixty two million, and seventy two million through twenty twenty eight. So uh, that's why these things take time. And uh, it's not as easy as saying, well, you just pay him sixty million a year for four years, that's two hundred and forty million, and let's go about it. But that's not the way this thing works out. Because if you add up as cap hits, he's over three hundred million in cap hits.
Speaker 3: And we've talked about it leading up to Sunday when the agreement was made that What was different about Dak's negotiations than all the other quarterbacks that have been signing recently is this is Dak's third contract. Those other quarterbacks it was their second contract used, so you don't have that hidden money left over from the second contract that you have to take accounting for.
Speaker 5: And they were able to because their their fifth year base salary wasn't that high because it was their initial contract, right, right, So you could stuff money into that fifth year. If the Cowboys stuffed money into what Dak was costing this fifth year, it was going to be over sixty million dollars cap hit. But they couldn't do that. So what they did is they paid him restructure bonus and lowered his cap hit to forty three million for this year. So and you mentioned that they restructured steels contract. So one of the things I'm sure they're looking at is making sure they have money if they want to elevate guys off the practice squad like Vigil, right, veteran guy on the practice squad. He's probably only costing I don't know, no more than twenty one thousand a week, but he gets elevated and all of a sudden, you're making a heck of a lot more, and the same thing with Delvin Cook if they ever get to the point where they want to elevate him too. So they need operating capital and that's probably why they did that.
Speaker 3: They might need some money too as we get closer to the trade deadline to see where they are injury wise at certain positions, right, and have the flexibility to be a to add a player too.
Speaker 5: Now, Jerry sounded optimistic that Ferguson potentially could play in this game. On Sunday.
Speaker 3: It ended was after his examination of his knee.
Speaker 5: Yes, right, He looked at the MRI and decided it was a medio collateral ligament sprain and a bone bruise because he hyper extended his knee. Because I heard somebody say, well, good thing is just a sprain. It's not a tear. No, a sprain, knee ligament is a tear meaning partially it phrase. So he said, we are relieved about it. So we'll see just where Ferguson is by the end of the week.
Speaker 3: And back on the that contract. As far as his radio interview this morning, he was asked about taking it to the eleventh.
Speaker 5: Hour, yes, and Jerry's answer was the eleventh hour to what there was no deadline, right. It wasn't like, well, if we don't get this done, Dak's not playing in the game. He's gonna walk away now.
Speaker 3: The only deadline from that standpoint is, okay, they both want a deal done. And even though Dak may not come out and say it, I mean, it's just human nature. You want to get it done and not have him risk injury. You know, if they already basically have an agreement where they've got the parameters together, you might as well go ahead and knock it out, get it taken care of before he steps off the field for the first game.
Speaker 5: If you were my agent, I don't want to go and play that game. That's right, without knowing that money's in the bank. I's right, right, Yeah, So it's a two way street, right, And that's what Jerry was trying to point out, that we can get close and we see something we like, it's like, okay, let's go get it. But the other side's got to say, okay, we want to do it too.
Speaker 3: And even the gist to that question, wait until the eleventh hour, Well, okay, it's the eleventh hour. If we're talking about that the deadline is the start of the regular season. Okay, But behind that question is why didn't you get it done like a year ago. Well that he had two years left on his contract a year ago, right, and so there's no reason to like you would The gist of the question was you could save money if you got it done earlier. Number One, you have to have both parties agreeing to it. Secondly, there's more water under the bridge. Seventeen games plus the playoffs under the bridge, since that more evidence to tell you whether or not you want to do this deal or not, and the health of the player as well, So it doesn't make any sense to do it a year ago.
Speaker 5: Jerry also pointed out that Dak had some leverage because he said Dak had the ability to play it out and be free and then test what somebody else might pay him.
Speaker 3: Right, And it's a you can tell by the quarterback play around the league that the market would be there for him.
Speaker 5: Oh, I found a half dozen teams that would sign him for seventy million tomorrow right if he was available. So yeah, I think everybody needs to understand, you know, and I never understand, like, well, if we don't get it done by the start of the season. I'm done. I'm not negotiating. They're going to give you eighty million to put in the bank tomorrow and you're going to say, no, I'm done. Bs Right, it's all about leverage and trying to, you know, get it publicly, get some leverage by saying stuff like that.
Speaker 3: And the other thing. As far as the size of the contract and so forth, Well, that's the going rate for quarterbacks in this league right now. The success of this league, the salary cap is raised to a point that as there's, however, many quarterbacks, close to a dozen quarterbacks that are all in that same salary cap range right now, and a lot that have done far less than what Dak has done in his career.
Speaker 5: Well, at some point the NFL needs to re establish a quarterback salary cap that's independent of the rest of the team and say, okay, you can pay this guy however much and it doesn't count against the cap. I mean, it just makes sense to think about think about people that make movies. The star gets all the money, right, and then guys like me and you it's like, okay.
Speaker 3: You get Although that clays into the whole parody of the league is because I know because there's only only a fourth or third of the teams that are have established quarterbacks that have those type contracts, because those are the teams that are winning well. And then it levels the playing field when you're paying have to pay that quarterback that amount of money, and you can't pay the rest of the team, and so then everyone winds up nine to eight or eight and nine. Well that de Roselle is.
Speaker 5: Very happy, and he'd be happy about that. By the way, did you were you able to watch last night.
Speaker 3: Parts of the game enough to know what happened in the game and enough to know that Jordan Mason out of Georgia Tech University, another graduate of the Shard choice college NFL running backs he coached him at Georgia Tech, put on unbelievable to performance in place of Christian McCaffrey, running for one hundred and forty seven yards. Think of the running backs that to Shard has coached. You got the Texas ones, which include this year's second round pick Jonathan Brooks who's on the Carolina roster hurt right now, and Bjean Robinson from last year, Roshawn Johnson from last year, Jamiir Gibbs of the Lions. He coached him at Georgia Tech as well. And now this guy, I'm like, I see he was undrafted three years ago out of Georgia Tech.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 3: Of course he was coached.
Speaker 5: By Tishard and he might have made himself.
Speaker 3: So you know who he reminds me of. And Troy actually eventually said it himself. I said, he looks like Marshawn.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, you know he runs me.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 5: I'd forgotten. So that was the most carries I think he had since the Cowboy game last year when he had he had ten carries for sixty nine yards, which was.
Speaker 3: Because it was a blowout win for the Niners.
Speaker 5: And I remember this part. They ran for one hundred and seventy yards against the Cowboys. It was on the road. I forgot what the score was, do you remember. I tried to forget it was forty two to ten. It was at one point twenty one to ten, and then they scored twenty one straight points on the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: And it was kind of after vander esh left the game where they got those yeah packed on three touchdowns and he had the advantage of the Cowboys not having a linebacker on the field that second half of that game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then they filed one linebacker, and they filed suit after that by not putting three linebackers on when people are running against you.
Speaker 3: All right, got much more to get to as mix shots continues in just a moment.
Speaker 6: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 2: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 5: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less filling.
Speaker 6: What are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 6: Look, I'm just reading the script.
Speaker 5: It says less fillings.
Speaker 3: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 5: Hell mindset.
Speaker 7: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Miller Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm Yshine Legal Guy, Celebrate responsibly. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands, three point two grams carvers for twelve bounces, fewer cows and cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 3: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties, Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh flavorful, ready to serve guacamol made with real hals avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys heroes. Wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: And they snapped the press scout who looks right, It's not there. He escapes left. He'll run for a per style.
Speaker 1: Just like football.
Speaker 8: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 9: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 1: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 8: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 5: To mixed shots, come shop at the Star in Frisco on Saturday, September twenty eighth, from ten am to four pm at Flea Styles Market at the Star presented by maker Place by Michaels, featuring fifty plus local makers offering art, fashion, home decor, jewelry and kids items. Market at the Star is always a favorite. Admission is free. Visit Thestardistrict dot com for more info.
Speaker 3: All right, final segment here of Mixed Shots for a Tuesday Cowboys. We'll start their work in Earnest on the Saints tomorrow, Saints coming off a forty seven to ten win in their season opener against Carolina and any other takes you had on your legal pad or from Jerry today. One guy that you mentioned that you'd like to talk about is Mozzi Smith.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was kind of a the way Cleveland played it, it seemed like the Cowboys were in nickel more than anything else. Mozzi only had twenty three snaps thirty percent of the snaps, and by the way of those big guys in the middle, he had twenty three snaps, Jordan Phillips had fifteen, and Lynnville Joseph had thirteen. So Mazzi had these fis yeah, three And what they were doing is with so much nickel, they were moving guys inside that you would think are defensive ends. Uh So Marshawn Neeland took snaps inside. Of course, osa Odiggy Zoo was inside, and even Chauncey Golston was playing inside at times, so they were rotating that inside part. But I thought from what I saw of Mazzi, uh, he was holding down the fort in the middle. He was taking up double teams so the lock linebackers could come through. Now he didn't have a tackle, he didn't have an assisted tackle, but he was causing some disruption in there that other people Bennett benefited from. I saw one time he did get blown off the line, pushed back like five yards and it was a running play. But for the most part, I thought he held his own. Now, I don't know how other people grade stuff like that, but from what I saw and from what Jerry said, that he was happy of what he did and felt like he had come a long way. So even Mike Zimmer was happy with the way Mazzy played. Now we'll see when someone ends up running the ball a heck of a lot more than Cleveland did.
Speaker 1: Bill.
Speaker 5: I think they only had, if I'm right, nineteen carries, and the majority of those ninety three yards were in the fourth quarter when the Cowboys are just making sure that they didn't hit him for any really big plays. For a guy that you know was didn't play basically in the off season. He was rehabbing from shoulder surgery, was somewhat limited in training camp, but he got a lot of snaps. Now, he didn't get to He only played I think one preseason game. He got sick before one of them. So let's see what goes on. Let's not be hasty rushing to conclusions.
Speaker 3: What I liked was the fact that Zimmer had Osa on the field for eighty percent of the snaps. Yes, OsO Digaezuoa had sixty one snaps, and I was just looking here and we'll see if it's eighty percent the entire season. At a certain point, playing that position, it's difficult to play eighty percent of the snaps, and but I like it from the standpoint. I also like the rotation. But if there is a fall off from your starter to your backup, and if Osa can handle the load and not get worn down, he makes such an impact in there. And also he's got the versatility where he can go outside and rush as well. He's got that kind of athleticism where you can move him all around the defensive line as well. But just to compare seventeen starts, so Osa didn't the last two seasons. In fact, he did not miss a game, and last year in dan Quinn's defense, he was on the field for sixty percent of the snaps six hundred and thirty seven snaps, and the year before his second year in the league, fifty four percent of the snaps. So you get him up to seventy five or eighty percent of the snaps, you're going to see a lot more production out of Osa.
Speaker 5: Diggas Zoo and they they now they use Kneeland outside some but a lot inside rushing in third down situations, He ended up playing forty four snaps fifty eight percent, and a lot of that was inside. Same thing with Golston, So they were changing up pretty good. And the other thing I noticed is they and you saw it in the game, but they moved Micah all over the place. He was outside, he was inside, he was standing up outside. They used a five man line at one point. As a matter of fact, when he blocked the pass that Kendricks intercepted, they had basically a blitz going on and the left the right tackle took the guy inside and Micah. No one blocked Micah. He came free and was able to bat to pass up in the air and Kendricks picked it off. I thought he was awfully good.
Speaker 3: Also, we also heard from the coordinators yesterday afternoon. What were your takeaways from what the coordinators were saying?
Speaker 5: Bones wasn't happy, still hat and got over.
Speaker 3: On the field goal.
Speaker 5: The delay a game on the sixty six yard field goal. I went back and looked at it, and when he talked about it, he said that they held the snap up for a late substitution. It wasn't a late substitution. They only had ten guys on the field, so they were running a guy on the field and the umpire stood over the ball and Bone said, he told uh sig, wait, wait, hold it, hold it. He didn't get out of there until there was four seconds left on the clock, so he waited for about ten seconds when they were running a guy on the field, their eleventh guy, and held the stat that's not his responsibility. It's not like college when you run a guy off and then you run a eye on because you as an offense substitute, and they hold up the snap. They were late getting ten guys on the field. That wasn't That wasn't the Cowboys' fault.
Speaker 3: So and they probably deciding whether to put a return guy out there.
Speaker 5: Well, and you're right, and then after it was over with then five yards then they put the return guy back there. So yeah, it was. And the funny thing was is the whistle blew and Aubrey figured they froze, they were freezing out that they called time out.
Speaker 1: So he was just.
Speaker 5: Getting ready to and it was like, oh, we're getting pedalized. And then I understood from seventy one it'd if you were desperate, you could have done that.
Speaker 3: But when you're up, what.
Speaker 5: Was it twenty twenty three. No sense taking a chance that it's short and all you got his offensive line trying.
Speaker 3: To many of us thought you don't want an Auburn Alabama. Did happen? But McCarthy, of course, when you have that much experience, he had another one, right, I had one that happened against him. I think it was against the Packers. I don't remember the player he mentioned.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 3: That he had a flash of that and he said, okay, well.
Speaker 5: Just yeah and and understood.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: So bones was that Zim was mostly pleased with how the defense played. I thought that, Uh, Jerry, it's like the things he said on Kayln Carson. I think it was right on. I mean, if you think about what was everybody talking about, how are the Cowboys going to stop a Mari Cooper? You know, and I've always said the way you stop a wide receiver is get pressure on the quarterback. Well the Cowboys did that. Cooper caught past number one that first series. He only caught one more pass the entire game. And it wasn't just you know, up against Carson's Diggs had him. But Jerry's quote on Carson, who played sixty of the seventy two snaps. He said, I couldn't have drawn it up any better. For Carson, he just looked like he's been out there for years.
Speaker 3: He looked the part boy.
Speaker 5: He really played well, and when you consider everything, he was good as anything I've seen for a first game in the NFL, you know, he I mean, they had a nice play on the goal line for the touchdown. They had two guys kind of stacked and he had to take the outside guy, and as quick as it was, he wasn't close enough. But other than that, I thought he played well. Now what happens this coming week against a team that put up forty seven points in the season opener.
Speaker 3: And for all the rookies, okay, you there's a sigh of relief. Oh I got the first one out of the way, right. Well, they keep coming at you a week after week now, and you've got to keep doing it over and over and over again.
Speaker 5: Well, Jerry was big on the young guys, and he keeps saying it, there's young guys, not just rookies, but guys from last year. They didn't play enough. He keeps saying that. I've heard him say it three or four but it's true. I think the Cowboys have a big advantage over other teams in this league because of the continuity on this coaching staff, and this coaching staff going into the fifth year. You know, the scouting department, There's been continuity for decades here, but for the scouts to understand what fits into the scheme and so forth, and even with a guy like Mike Zimmer, they know what Zimmer's all about. There's even though it's been since two thousand and six and s he was here, they all know, Okay, that's what Zimmer wants in a player, and so when they go scout at Kayln Carson, they know he fits Zim or a Leah Foul or a Niland and those types. But I think it gives him a huge advantage, and it was it was never more apparent than against a Cleveland team that gave away the ranch to sign Deshaun Watson, meaning the draft ranch and not having first round draft picks the last three years, plus three mid round draft picks, third or fourth round picks each of those years too. It just flew off the page at you how many young players the Cowboys have on their roster making plays in their first NFL game compared to what the Browns were able to try out there, and it's and you can count first year player Demarvian Overshown, right, which was rather amazing what he was able to do coming off that torn acl in his first think about it. It was his first football game since the last game of the twenty twenty two season for Texas.
Speaker 3: And they got something there. No, there's no doubt. I mean, his speed on the field is apparent from this first blush.
Speaker 5: I mean, go ask to Sean Watson because I'm sure he didn't expect that guy to come shooting out of a canyon on that sack and the tackle for.
Speaker 3: Loss that he had early in the game as well, right, I mean, and we saw it in the preseason. Okay, Okay, that's the preseason. Well, now we're seeing it in regular season games. And I think that they're playing perfectly as the nickel linebacker because that just plays to his strength.
Speaker 5: And they were using him to spy to yeah, yeah, yeah, and you got to if you've gotta have somebody that spy, you got to be able to run with the quarterback.
Speaker 3: Right, So here's the test for him.
Speaker 5: Yes, in two weeks, yep, Lamar Jackson, Yes, yes, but let's not fast forward too fast.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, we will fast forward to tomorrow when Everson Walls will tell us about his golf game, and we will turn our attention to the New Orleans Saints. We'll see you again tomorrow and noon here on mix.
Speaker 5: Shots, Oh Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.