Speaker 1: Hey there, folks.
Speaker 2: It is Tuesday, February third, and we are hopping on this evening with a breaking update on the search for Savannah Guthrie's mom. The case has taken a bizarre turn and there may be a ransom note with that.
Speaker 1: Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ Roabes.
Speaker 2: This this is odd, okay, so let's go with what we got. Everybody knows the lady's missing. They gave us updates knowing where she is, she was abducted. It's not the authorities telling us there's a ransom note.
Speaker 1: It's a celebrity news out there.
Speaker 3: It's TMZ. This is such a strange twist. Literally within an hour, I believe, of this latest press conference and we addressed someone asking and someone then following up asking the share about whether or not there was a ransom note, and the sheriff notably moved past it, didn't say no, and just said.
Speaker 4: We're looking at all investigative leads.
Speaker 3: So he basically skirted the question, ducked the question, and then whila. About an hour or so later, we hear from TMZ. Harvey Levin gets online and says, we believe we have a ransom note.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to establish robes.
Speaker 2: There was not a lot of new information in the press conference today, but there were things that were glaring. Only a couple things, and this was one of them. He was asked twice directly about ransom note opportunity to say no, It was a odd way to ask it. Have you received a ransom demand? We're looking into all investigative leads and tips. That was an odd way. So yes, robes. What's the suggestion here? I think Harvey Levin said they got it this morning. Yes, but we'll tell you what he says. The thing says, now, you were just listening to the video he has there, but they also have a write up. But in the I don't know, and we could also give an impression what your impression was of they were they being careful or delicate in the video?
Speaker 3: They were trying to be careful to not give away all the contents of the ransom note, because they said that this note that they received this morning had specific details that one would think only the person who actually abducted Nancy Guthrie would know.
Speaker 4: He said there were specifics.
Speaker 3: About what was left behind, about how he took or this person took Nancy Guthrie anyway that they felt like needed to be shared with police.
Speaker 4: So they said they were contacting.
Speaker 3: Police and they finally were able to get this note to them to look at to investigate. But the way they were talking, they felt fairly confident that this could actually be the person who has Savannah Guthrie's mind.
Speaker 2: And I get what you're saying, speaking confidently, but they're also speaking as two people who are not decades in law enforcement.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what this thing might look like.
Speaker 2: I was thrown in the video at least robes that they were talking about it releasing it before it sounds like they had gotten it into the hands of the right people. They said they were having a hard time getting in contact exactly somebody.
Speaker 3: They said that they were getting the run around. They weren't able to get the person they needed to get to to give this note to.
Speaker 4: So perhaps I don't know if.
Speaker 3: They were online talking while this was happening shortly after. We don't know if police had that ransom, that alleged ransom note in their hands before this video got out, But certainly they were looking to bring news to the people who count on them, and they do break news off and now they also went on to say that this note demanded a specific, substantial amount of bitcoin, and they said the amount is in the millions. That's as specific as they got. And then they said that the note demands that the cryptocurrent be sent to a specific Bitcoin address, and that TMZ has verified that the bitcoin address is real. Can you be tracked through your bitcoin address?
Speaker 2: I would assume. Look, I don't know how that works, but this makes no sense. This makes less sense. The idea of a ransom starts to make sense. Why you would send that note to TMZ, Why you would want bitcoin, why you would send an address?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: The Harvey Levin did mention in the video at least as well, that this had an element of do this or else to it, So that's ominous as well. Now the sheriff didn't tell us much. Do you have the statement up? They did put out a statement in response to this. They weren't that specific, I guess roads, but at least addressing all this news that's circulating.
Speaker 3: Yes, So after TMZ puts out this video, then we hear from the Pima County Sheriff's department, and again, this is just you know, not that long after this big press conference we just all watched.
Speaker 4: They wrote, we are.
Speaker 3: Aware of reports circulating about possible ransom note with an s in PARENTHESI regarding the investigation into Nancy Guthrie. We are taking all tips and leads very seriously. Anything that comes in goes directly to our detectives who are coordinating with the FBI. We encourage anyone who may have any information or tips to share them via this QR code.
Speaker 4: So that's it. They just are saying, Yep.
Speaker 3: We know that there are reports of a possible ransom note and we're looking into it.
Speaker 4: That's basically what I got out of that.
Speaker 2: And you know what, that's still more than he said in the press conference. Yes today, but Harvey Levin as well. I mean, it's not verified rope, so we don't know. This could be some Yahoo out there who decided to send something in and be funny, is this a real thing? If you are a real kidnapper, You're going to send your ransom note to Harvey Levin.
Speaker 1: I don't know. None of this makes sense. This just adds to.
Speaker 4: It's so bizarre.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the or else part of the note that you were talking about apparently they put in this note a deadline connected to receiving this alleged this ransom, this millions in cryptocurrency, and so there was an actual date, a deadline or else.
Speaker 2: And we told you all here that two things jumped out at the press conference, and it was to I'm piggybacking here off what you said, Robes. One of them was in fact when he refused to answer the ransom question twice, and the other Robes was timing right talking here about there was a deadline or something attached. And the sheriff today thought it was odd that this urgent search is going on, and he is now spacing out press conferences and said see you in two days.
Speaker 3: See you on Thursday morning, at forty eight hours from now. Even though people are actually on the edges of their seats waiting to hear, people are praying, they are hoping for the best. I mean, this has captured and captivated the nation, and he's gonna see you in forty eight hours when.
Speaker 2: You're talking about an urgent search and a woman that could die if she doesn't get medicine in twenty four hours. Now we're three plus days in and you're saying, yeah, see you in a couple of days. That doesn't read babe with the urgency he's talking about.
Speaker 4: They must know something they do and that's okay.
Speaker 2: That is we get that, We get that. But right now, Robes, what a story this has become? The idea of ransom makes sense? Sending it to TMZ?
Speaker 4: Doesn't you make a very point? Why send it to TMZ?
Speaker 1: And we have to what do you do? Right? Or something like this?
Speaker 2: It seems what I said, Robes, if it's an authentic note, this might have been the wrong thing to do. If it's a total hoax, it's the wrong thing. Like, what is the right thing to do? Should you do?
Speaker 1: You dare?
Speaker 2: And I hate to question the news organizations, hate to question Harvey, but it felt like, man, we should wait till you all get back to us and let us know if this is okay to right, you have the choice to report, but Road, there's a woman's life on the line right now.
Speaker 3: Right you and I had just talked about what would a news organization do, I mean, what would we do? And the question is, yeah, you have the choice. Obviously you give it to police. Period, do you ask them? Do you mind if we let our viewers know or our listeners know that we got this note and let them tell you. They're probably gonna tell you. Yeah, we would mind, don't tell anyone, and then you would respect the investigation because that comes first. Finding Nancy Guthrie is the most important part of this entire thing. It's not about getting clicks and downloads. And I know that that's obviously tempting, and I understand, I get the business behind what it is that we do.
Speaker 4: But when you have someone's life on the line, if you think.
Speaker 3: Maybe even for a second, that you could be jeopardizing the investigation or putting her safety at risk in any way.
Speaker 4: But I also would just have to say, we.
Speaker 3: Were asking why would you send a ransom note to TMZ? Probably for this exact reason. You want the attention. You know TMZ is going to put it up or at least discuss it or acknowledge it online. And now you're getting attention. Now, how is.
Speaker 1: That good strategy? If it's money you want that.
Speaker 3: I can't answer, So maybe, I mean, who knows, But if it is just attention, then that would be more likely than not that it would be a hoax or someone who's pretending to be It's really, like you said, then broadcasting it, do you get copycats?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Do you are you incentivizing people to, you know, just insert themselves and muddy the waters in something where police need to be focused on real tips, you know, And so you don't want to encourage people to do anything to confuse the investigation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's just that's a tough one.
Speaker 2: And just hate to be critical in any way, or it's the tough slightest way they made the call. It's hard to see how putting that out helps. It's hard to see how it is. Maybe the police don't care. I don't know, maybe they think it helped. But Harvey sure made it sound like they did not get an okay, which they technically they actually do not.
Speaker 4: Legally they don't.
Speaker 1: They don't have to wish their tip.
Speaker 2: But this, with all these twists and turns rogues, you are the one that's more so pointing out to me here lately about another twist in this story that maybe we should have seen coming. It's not necessarily directly related to the investigation. It's now related to how the country is online having a conversation about this story. And I use the word conversation loosely, folks, we have to do better. Stay here, We'll let you know what fight is erupting online over the missing eighty four year old mother.
Speaker 1: Of Savannah Guthrie.
Speaker 2: All right, we continue here on Amy and TJ here coming on this evening. A breaking update. Really if we're just twists and turns in the story of Savannah Scuffhery's missing mother. But Robes, the conversation that's been going on online, the conversation that's been going on, Maybe we shouldn't be surprised, Maybe we shouldn't elevate it. I really don't know, but it seems like Robes, it's irrupting.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, because there Well, you've pointed out some political aspects, how people have politicized it.
Speaker 4: And I was.
Speaker 3: Actually texting back and forth with my mom, you know about this story, because it's just something that hits home for a lot of folks, and my mom was saying she made the mistake of reading comments and she said it's awful. People are talking about how rich Savannah is and questioning why she didn't provide better security for her mom given.
Speaker 4: All the money that she has.
Speaker 3: People talking about savannah political affiliations that she's liberal, that her husband is a known liberal, and that she deserved what happened, like just because of they said. If I think I heard someone say, I hope whoever took your mom is an illegal alien, because that's what you deserve for protecting them on the air with your media, your liberal media bias.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is what people are saying and doing.
Speaker 2: I don't want to go and sometimes I don't know how to give a good measure. I don't want to overstate how fiery and heated it is gotten, don't I don't think it's been a couple of randaus here and there rooms. This is everything we do now turns into this political discussion of what what you deserve based on your political affiliation, what should happen? Like my humanity is gone now because you're of that party.
Speaker 1: This is all And I mean, this story is awful.
Speaker 2: You started peeling realing off some of that stuff, and I started reading some stuff, and you're stunned that anybody would put their name to some of it. Look, an eighty four year old woman is missing, her health is not well. Can we all we can't come together on that. It's because of whose mama it.
Speaker 4: Is it's so sad to me.
Speaker 3: And by the way, I just want to say, Savannah Guthrie is one of the kindest, sweetest, most incredible women who I have ever had the pleasure of working with. And just to know that she's suffering right now, that she doesn't know what's happening to her mom, that she's devastated and scared, and the fact that people would take that moment to bring either politics into it or say she could have done something to prevent this.
Speaker 4: It's just evil. That is cruel. That is evil.
Speaker 3: It doesn't deserve its place in the universe, let alone to see that all put online.
Speaker 4: I hope she never sees it. I hope she never hears about it.
Speaker 3: I hope she never reads any of it, because that stuff is brutal and it hurts, and it's just it's evil.
Speaker 4: I don't think there's another word for it other than that I.
Speaker 1: Don't get it.
Speaker 2: And I want to find a way to say that the people that are saying this nasty stuff are just lost or confused or having a bad day or not in a good place on their own.
Speaker 1: I hate that I can't.
Speaker 2: Imagine this in a in the way that's as broad as I'm seeing it, not just one offs.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of it has to do with immigration and the fact that she lived where she lived on the border of Mexico. People are making all sorts of horrific comments and tying it back to this massive immigration debate we're having, which is just no one has any idea what has actually happened to Nancy Guthrie. And it's just it blows my mind that people would take an actual tragedy that is unfolding and use it to their political gain. It's I know, it's the way the world works, but it's sad to see.
Speaker 1: Folks.
Speaker 2: Well, we don't know when there might be another update. I haven't seen another something planned for this evening.
Speaker 3: You have not, no and Jack will As far as we know, the only thing planned is for Thursday.
Speaker 1: That's what he said.
Speaker 2: So, folks, this was a significant update in a story that has really captivated the country for a number of reasons. It's a mystery all its own, but now you attach one of the most famous journalists in the country and this is just gone bananas.
Speaker 1: Eighty four years old.
Speaker 2: We can all hope she comes home safely, but folks, we will hop on if there are any other significant updates. As always, top right corner of your Apple podcast app where you see our show page, little button there that says follow you. Click that you make sure you can get all our updates coming directly to you. And there have been a lot these days, but we always appreciate you going along with us.
Speaker 1: Some TJ.
Speaker 2: Holmes on behalf of my dear Amy roboc. We will talk to you also, what do you think