Speaker 1: Podcast starts. Now, what is up everyone around the globe? You're listening to Stradia Lab from New York City.
Speaker 2: And I just want to say I was silencing my phone. That's why my finger was briefly on my phone. I wasn't quickly, you know, sending an email George.
Speaker 1: No one's close watching our podcast. I have to be honest.
Speaker 2: I was actually more apologizing. Interesting, interesting that you are. You think I'm addressing our listeners. I'm actually so embodied, and in the moment, I was just apologizing to my two friends that are with me in the room.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I'm going to look at my phone to sort of what the hell time it is?
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, so that I.
Speaker 1: Can sort of moving forward, know what time we're working with you, so if anyone's mad, if anyone's watching, I'm either in this room or at home. That's why I just see my phone.
Speaker 2: One of the most stressful things for me is it when we were on tour, like two years ago. Sometimes you would be like, can you keep track of the time? And I knew that I needed to look at my watch while we were on stage, but I could not do it subtly. So the people in the audience looked at me looking at my watch while performing, which I think is like a It's like it's already rude to do that just interpersonally, but to be a professional performer, be on stage and fully look at your watch is maybe legendary status.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's that bad.
Speaker 2: You don't, okay.
Speaker 1: I think looking at your watch is like reasonable, like you actually know what time it is. Well, we're ripping up there.
Speaker 2: Looking at your watch. It's never actually rude. Sometimes you really do just want to know what time it is, but it has the reputation of being like, you know, like ripping a fart or something.
Speaker 3: I think it's like it's like yawning a little bit. It's like yawning while someone's talking, and it's kind of like I'm not bored. I'm like literally tired. Has nothing to do with you. Okay, you're I'm tired all the time.
Speaker 2: That the natural, the way you entered the conversation will be studied for millennia.
Speaker 3: By the way, I don't even know what.
Speaker 2: Because because we you know, our bit normally would be to yell at you and be like it's not you know, we haven't brought you in yet. And that would become a whole you know, it's hilarious. People love when we yell, like guests like yell. Love when we get combative. People say we miss it, like you guys are being too nice these days. You know, we have all these A listers on and we have to get back to our roots of sort of berating our friends. Yeah, but the way you entered immediately contributed something seemly were the conversation. I was like, it feels wrong to y I know, it felt really wrong.
Speaker 3: You can yell. I love yelling, and I don't feel sensitive about it.
Speaker 2: Yells at me, No, do you even yelling family?
Speaker 3: I come from a yelling family, yelling house. I've really had to learn that yelling is not appropriate because I don't think it's a big deal. But then it's like some people, like when I had when I learned about tone, like two years ago, I was it like, really blew my mind?
Speaker 1: What made you learn about tone?
Speaker 3: Like meeting people from the Midwest, Yes, that'll do it. When I moved to LA, I met people from the Midwest, and I felt misread every once in a while, and because they would be like, well, I don't want to argue and I'd be like, I'm agreeing with you. We agree. I'm like enjoying this conversation a lot. And I realized that they that some yeah, or I dated someone who I guess would yell at me a lot, but I never noticed. And someone was like, she's yelling at you, and I'm like, oh, I don't care. I think it's funny. Yeah, she's literally she's literally hilarious.
Speaker 2: And you're like, oh, are you Italian.
Speaker 3: I'm like, she's like up in arms, like it's funny. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would say the two people that have made me really question my tone are Midwestern like sort of midwestern nice people, and then honestly British people, because sometimes with British people they will be so passive aggressive, but it's like in their blood they're not trying to be rude. Right. One time, I was taking the sort of oral exam academic not medical, and the examiner was British valid and I was living in Greece at the time, where I went to high school. And I enter the room and I think I'm speaking normally and she goes sort of very quietly, Like something I've noticed in Greece is everyone's really loud like clearly implying that I am being loud upon entering the room.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine that that's really hard as I'm yelling into the microphone, that's really hard.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry that happened to you. It sounds like you were microaggressed full I was macroaggress I would say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would have a hard time. I would be thinking about that feedback, if you can even call it that sort of the whole time.
Speaker 2: I wouldas then I would I had to go into the oral exam.
Speaker 3: Horrible, horrible, horrifying.
Speaker 1: I learned over the last year of working a job that you're not allowed You're not saying rad thank you, You're not supposed to yawn in meetings. I've learned that people get so upset when you're yawning while they're talking in meetings, and it's like this is boring.
Speaker 3: Wait, but like with your normal like coat, with like a group.
Speaker 2: Of co workers, Yeah, with the big wigs or with either yeah, either way, people are saying, Sam, stop yawning. You know he actually have to do nod constantly. This is what you have to do.
Speaker 1: I meant, does that stop you from yawning or.
Speaker 2: Just no, it's just it makes it makes you seem like you're agreeing with And actually sometimes I'll see it because people do it and it's very phony. Sometimes I'll see someone not the entire time I'm saying something, and then when they actually speak up, it's to fully disagree with me, but they're doing it in such a kind way.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I like when you're talking to someone and they have that tick where they're mouthing the words yes with you, I'm sort of like, I know, it seems like you're actively listening, but you're feel like.
Speaker 2: And similarly, when someone starts nodding before you make a point, like you'll say something like you'll be like you know the thing is and they are already yon and you're like yeah or already nodding. You're like no, no, no, Now, even if you keep nodding, I will know you're lying.
Speaker 1: I had a friend that would literally finish every sentence like and like would kind of get it wrong, like just wait for me to say it and then you can then you can respond honestly, be like, I can't hang out this person anymore.
Speaker 2: They're struggling to focus looking for a word, and someone jumps in and they're like and they're like reifi, You're like, no, no, I'm performing being like an intellectual who is looking for a word. I know what I want to say.
Speaker 1: If I could just pick a word, really nilly, I would have picked a word. Willy nilly about what word?
Speaker 3: And I'm thinking hard, like I'm trying hard to grip on my thought. Yeah, as and if you say one thing, it's gone and it could have been important.
Speaker 2: It's also that never that word is not going to be provoked. It's going to be something more sophisticated than provoked. I'm like, I know the word provoke, That's what I'm looking Insight. No, that's equally that's actually equally basic.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I can't believe George just said in sight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's it? But you know, like there's a group of words. There's a group of verbs. Okay, bear with me, and I think provoke and insight are two of them. Yeah, and they all mean some version of like one thing comes after the other provoke, insight, instigate, Yeah, don't you think like and then they are used almost interchangeably, but it's just.
Speaker 3: Kind of syn andyms sort of.
Speaker 2: But not but they're not exactly symtems. Don't you think like instigate and provoke or not. But it's like you house how like how you use them is almost like a power move to show how much it's like using the word dichotomy correctly. It's like even using the word perform one.
Speaker 3: Of my comfort it's it's a real comfort.
Speaker 2: It's a real and I.
Speaker 3: Have some comfort vocab words. And my mom has a really good vocabulary and uses a lot of like weird words I would say, and so I definitely have my comfort vocab words. And every now and then someone be like, okay, like you really use that word, and I'm like, well, what do you want me to do?
Speaker 2: Like sorry, to shake it up.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 1: More from the world.
Speaker 2: Perpetuate pet that's.
Speaker 3: An important one. That sound also sort of like not condescending, but you can sound sort of like or like kind of holier than now, Like it's like I wouldn't want to propetal exactly because you're you're mostly trying not to being yourself.
Speaker 2: If you are pro perpetuation, you hate to leave. Look in the mirror, you're literally Donald Trump, don't perpetuate.
Speaker 1: I hate perpetuate.
Speaker 2: I say, walk out the door on are my pet peeves perpetuating.
Speaker 3: Same, I'm against, but then sometimes I'm doing it.
Speaker 1: And that's what you. Knowing that you know your superpower.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's exactly.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Perpetuating and knowing that you're perpetuating is a superpower. Yeah, and that's the topic. Good mind, you love to stop, don't hate perpetually, hate perpetuate.
Speaker 1: I have a confession though. My ear has not popped since the airplane last night. That's tough. And this has never happened to me in my life. It feels like I'm wearing headphones and it's crazy.
Speaker 3: And you've you've tried pulling, You've tried blowing, You've tried blowing.
Speaker 1: I've not tried pulling.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I up pull the ears like themselves.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you can blow and pull the same time. But the poll feels good. Sometimes does at least feel.
Speaker 2: Good to pull. It actually feels amazing. Yeah yeah, but then it doesn't happen fully. That's the pulling is like brief relief.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to hold it down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you have to just play. Hey, guys, welcome to my wedding like I do. Buddy, how's it going? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Should we we should talk about what we were talking about before.
Speaker 2: Obviously, also please welcome tailor so much.
Speaker 1: So, we were talking about how I'm getting gay married this weekend.
Speaker 2: And in fact, by the time you the listener are listening to this, Sam will be married.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But we were talking about how there's a flood of gay wedding which we don't know if that's is that a trendler or are we just a different age.
Speaker 3: I think I have no idea. I well, oh no, my brain went to a crazy place. Well, okay, so I don't know if how online y'all are or whatever. But like, like a lot of the lesbian pop stars are like.
Speaker 2: In becoming straight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're becoming straight, and in some ways it feels gay. Joe just hit me straight and in some ways it feels totally trad Fletcher, But like they're becoming straight. And I do wonder if it's like if there's no possible way for you to become straight, if like kind of being like we'll do some of the Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, getting married is gig guy version of becoming straight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's such a good point.
Speaker 4: Participating like family, come see it, you can come see it.
Speaker 3: I come see see it. And they're gonna love that they're seeing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they really Damn it's really like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well there's also a way in which thirties are twenties for the LGBTQ plus community of course. So all these milestones, not just marriage, but like deciding to focus on your career. Straight people have been doing that at like twenty four, right, they're saying, I'm going to open that bank account.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't think hitting the open MIC's hard? Was focusing on your career?
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well well no, that's more chasing your dreams and chasing your dreams and becausing on your career people think are the same thing, but they're diametric.
Speaker 1: Thank you for not perpetuating that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no way, you had a chance to perpetuate and you opted not to.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to. I didn't feel right. Wow, I do think you're way too young to get married.
Speaker 2: No, you're a child bride.
Speaker 3: You're way too When you said that, I was like, no, right, yeah, there is.
Speaker 1: Also it's one thing that I'm it's the big thing with gay marriage too, is it's like every gay guy on earth is in an open relationship. Yes, so there is like the weight is different in a way that I'm like, I'm not sure how to like grapple. Like the normal language around a wedding is sort of like confusing to apply.
Speaker 2: Yes, what do you say? It's both it's paradoxical, not to perpetuate using the term paradoxical. So on the one hand, it is quote unquote less of a big deal to get married if you're open, because you're not actually changing anything about your behavior. On the other hand, considering marriage is like not a necessary thing for you to do. It's a bigger deal because you could just as well not do it, So it's a real like choice, you know what I mean. Sure, So that I think is what's sort of confusing about it. Everyone like is there at the wedding and doesn't know how big of a deal it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean. Well, if they're straight, that they should be assuming it's a just as big a deal.
Speaker 2: But even gay people will be like congrass. Yeah, So do you guys like want kids? Is that what you're doing? Like, tell me why is it like a tax thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean it's probably feels like absolutely amazing to be like my husband, this my husband that you know, I think, yeah.
Speaker 2: That rocks. Do you romanticize that?
Speaker 3: I never ever did in my whole life, And I guess I still don't. Like this is horrible, but that when I think of a wedding for myself, I'm just like, oh, that sounds like I can't plan a trip. I'm gonna plan a wedding Like that does sound really daunting and like crazy. But when I just think about if I think about, like, okay, me and my partner, like the very moment getting married, like that's sweet. I'd romanticize that with the like individual person, yes, But when I try to make it practical in my mind, I go, oh.
Speaker 2: Well, it's in terms of the trip comparison. I think it's easier to plan a wedding than a trip because it's where you live, like pick your favorite bar, right, You're done.
Speaker 1: Well. It's also it's more like a solo show than a trip.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I mean unless you're doing like yeah, if you're getting married on the Amalfi Coast, like absolutely, that's going to be hard to go ahead and be talk. Yeah, I wouldn't even know where it began to be. I was like no one to recommend No, I didn't know the right venue. Yeah, I don't. I don't know anything about it.
Speaker 3: I would rather die than go to the Mafee coast and get like married at like a venue like everyone's like, oh, it's so like tired, like that place is so bad before.
Speaker 2: You leaves, and she looks exactly like you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she seems more basic, like I look basic right now, but like actually my life I'm cool.
Speaker 2: So that was really really painful. I you said something though, that was interesting, which is like the idea that we would want to say the phrase my husband. Here's my take on that. I think the only appropriate phrasing of my husband or my wife is a woman saying my wife. That is the only time I don't I'm serious, That is the only time I don't cringe because got it. Straight woman saying my husband, I'm like, you're trapped.
Speaker 3: I literally get a little nervous.
Speaker 2: Straight guy saying my wife, I'm like, don't talk about her like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Hey, guys saying my husband, I'm like, are you Republican?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But a woman saying my wife, You're like, finally I feel safe for me.
Speaker 1: It's like I'm wanting to like code switch when I say boyfriend and husband, because like, say I'm in if I'm with like like people at this job, for example, who aren't like comedians, like more exec types, I want to be like my husband so they're like, oh you're not just something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah totally.
Speaker 1: And then like or like in a hospital, I want to be like, this is my husband, so it's like you have to take him seriously.
Speaker 2: But with my girls, I want to be like, this is my boyfriend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, any second, of course I'm young, I'm.
Speaker 2: Then I will say, you'll notice this after you get married. You just like simply can't say my boyfriend because it's inaccurate. You just like, can't you have to do partner or something.
Speaker 1: It's my guy?
Speaker 2: It would yeah, Like it feels so crazy to say my boyfriend. And so what I have ended up doing is like unintentionally almost rolling my eyes while saying my husband. Every time people like do you not like him? I'm like, no, like I love him, but you know, a husband.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: When I was like seven, the idea of saying my boyfriend, like, I'm like, some day I'm going to say my boyfriend and I'm going to be like forty like you when you're a little kid and you have no idea what age is. I just thought the most adult thing you could do is have a boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: Not even husband didn't even cross my mind. I was like, imagine a woman with a boyfriend like that is just so classy.
Speaker 2: Here's a question for you. You meet a woman she's fifty five, Yeah, she says, my boyfriend, what are you thinking?
Speaker 3: You know what am I thinking? I really think it really depends on what I think, totally it is because I know if she parties, I'm sort of like, you've never been married, or you've been married like five times. It's like one of the other. Yeah, my boy, it really Yeah, it depends on where, what city she lives in, what kind of shoes she's wearing.
Speaker 2: It's a friend on your own biases and misogyny and like because sometimes, like we're talking about gray hair, Yeah, sometimes you see someone with gray hair and without realizing it, you're having ageous thoughts. It's the same with a fifty five year old woman saying boyfriend. Suddenly you don't even realize that you're like spinster Spencer war.
Speaker 3: Don't tell anyone stuff like that. Give that to yourself.
Speaker 1: I have obviously always wanted to ironically use the word husbar. I think that is one of the funniest.
Speaker 3: Like you're introducing that to me.
Speaker 2: No, I love that that is it's one of those rms that only exists in Instagram captions.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly. So what type of gay person would you use?
Speaker 1: So like a bear like visiting Dallas would be like I had the most amazing time with the husbar in Dallas.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, and but then okay, but.
Speaker 2: They live in Atlanta. But yeah, they live in Atlanta. They're visiting Dallas.
Speaker 3: Is your husband? Will your husband be a hus bear? Technically not a little bear? A little bears.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because you know Sam is known for loving bears. It's true. Okay, I would say your husband is not like textbook definition.
Speaker 1: No, he he he transcends category.
Speaker 2: He does transcend.
Speaker 1: He's sort of a he's a larger twink. We called him because he's hairless and a bear.
Speaker 2: Usually thank you for the elephant in the room. Is that he's hairless.
Speaker 1: He's hairless, okay, and he has sort of like dream boy hair like on his head.
Speaker 2: It's like teen heart throw. He really looks especially when he does his hair a certain way, like looks like a teen heart throb in a you know not w B. I'm majoring my shoulf.
Speaker 1: Show.
Speaker 3: Thank god, Spinster, thank god you have husband righting.
Speaker 2: Literally i'd be undatable, but that's but he's still bigger. So it's that combo, got it?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What I don't know that there's not that's crazy. There wouldn't be a term for that yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, well, it's just still.
Speaker 3: So much room to grow, right, That's so beautiful. I just feel like gays are so quick to label each other totally, we're because of jumping at it constantly. So that actually shocks me that there's like a type of hot guy that doesn't have a name.
Speaker 2: Yet there is.
Speaker 1: Like a there is. I think it's a rare. It's rarer than you would think to be hairless, you know.
Speaker 3: And what happens sort of what I'm like, what is going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do you think to be annoyed me? What? Oh?
Speaker 2: Misha? Yeah, I was like, I'm not annoyed. He's like, don't just perpetrate the myth that I'm annoyed. Wait, also that perpetuating the either perpetrating the myth or the narrative. If you're perpetuating a narrative, you should be in prison.
Speaker 3: What else is there to perpetuate?
Speaker 2: I think narrative, myth, perpetrating the idea. I think a bit pedestrian, but you can do it. Ooh pedestrians, good, pedestrians, really good? Should we do our for a segment?
Speaker 3: I think we should, Taylor.
Speaker 1: Our first segment is called Straight Shooters, and in this segment, we're going to ask you a series of rapid fire questions to gauge your familiarity with in complicity and straight culture. It's basically this thing or this other thing. And the only rule is you can ask any followup questions or we'll scream at you, which will feel so natural to you amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you'll probably let me really motivate me. Okay, Taylor, failing the capture or preparing the macha.
Speaker 3: I do need to ask a question. I'm thinking what straight I can't Okay, failing the.
Speaker 1: Capture, Okay, losing the thread or making the.
Speaker 3: Bed, making the bud.
Speaker 2: The end is near or your uber is here?
Speaker 3: Your uber is here?
Speaker 1: LGBTQ or l m n O p.
Speaker 2: Lgbtq being sexist or supporting Brexit, being.
Speaker 1: Vivica a Fox or Smoky the Bear.
Speaker 2: Fox, baked beans, ripped jeans, or Howard Dean's famous scream baked beans.
Speaker 1: False prophets or wall sockets, oh, false profits. Wow.
Speaker 2: So we rate our guest performance on the scale of the row to one thousand doves.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh okay, yeah, yeah, I know this.
Speaker 2: I'm like really bullish on this one. Really, yeah, please lead the way. I think this is like over nine hundred wow, And I have reasons. Okay here, I think you entered the space of like sitcom level facial expressions that I had not seen up to this point on it, and it was you were literally being like the bitchy sister in like not even Stevens because that's because actually I think she could have used more facial expressions Ren Stevens, Well, I would say it was more of a Chelsea on That's so Rayvent type performance.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You're really like showing a lot with your face and I hope people are watching rather than listenings to get the full experience.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I've been told I'm very expressed.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I actually think especially in this game, it really worked for you, because obviously this game is us doming our guest, Like we're the ones saying literally being like, look at these funny rhymes we wrote, and you have nothing to do, Like, all you have to do is pick one that we already said. So you found yourself trapped. You were like, how do I make this performance more impactful? And you were like, I have to go face. I have to go all face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a more controlling person than I want to admit, and at the end of the day, I love to over explain and when I can't, I guess I'm using my face to do it. Because I started out being like, what is more straight? And then I found myself kind of getting kind of just letting myself get lost in the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's good. You know, it's sort of about transcending labels and yeah, totally just you know, being you.
Speaker 3: I said, I have to quiet my mind for a minute and just like actually pick whatever my internal needle is pointing to.
Speaker 2: And I think that to perpetrate a narrative. The narrative of this game to me is like in real time, realizing binaries are not good because you think it's about choosing one or the other. It's actually about what facial expression you make while speaking, like it doesn't matter which one you choose.
Speaker 3: And I don't even know what, Like obviously one of us know what our own facial expressions look like.
Speaker 1: That's true, Just so that's actually really scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: I've noticed that I have such a go to that is not something I'm proud of, and you're coaching that I wish I could break.
Speaker 2: Is I go like, that's cute?
Speaker 3: Wait, that's cute. It makes you like a cartoon.
Speaker 1: It's a very cartoony. And I can't stop like I.
Speaker 3: Can do that. I don't think I can. You could do it. I can't do that.
Speaker 2: You can't do a sad face. Oh yeah, that's good. You look like him when she's playing the base.
Speaker 3: That it feels like, I know, I think I'm I'm doing I'm pushing it too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys, what if that was your if your default expression was stim that would be tough. Do you ever think she tried to change I actually think it's the opposite. I think she thinks she's so. First of all, we love him and want them to come on the podcast. I just want to make that clear.
Speaker 1: Let's start there.
Speaker 2: But no, I actually think, as we've said before, she's a comedian at heart, and I think she loves that. She's the funny one.
Speaker 3: I saw it recently. I saw the basepace recently and I said, oh, she's leaned into it.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, the venues have gotten larger, so you have to project.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, the smile has to be truly, like from ear to ear. She's she's like the movie smile. Oh my god, they should do the movie smile, but instead of the smile, it's behind space face.
Speaker 3: And everyone.
Speaker 2: Are you familiar with the Heims sisters generally?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I this is really I when I first heard them, I saw it was meeeing them live. They were opening This is twenty eleven. I think they were opening four Mumford and Sons. And I paid ticket holder to that event. You know what, whatever, the songs were good, I don't care.
Speaker 1: And calling yourself a paid ticket holder makes it seem like you were paid to go there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were. You were a crisis actor.
Speaker 3: I found it on the Craigslist. They were like, please need people to come to this Philly Mumfort and Suns show.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I was so excited to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was twenty eleven or twenty twelve, and I was like, who are these girls playing all these drums?
Speaker 2: Yes, the drums were because I saw them in like probably after You unfortunately, but like twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen and the drum break. Yes, I was like, these girls are.
Speaker 3: Going somewhere very impressive.
Speaker 2: We have a game that no one likes where we it's like fuck Mary kill. But it's three things and you have to say which one is Alana, which one is Danielle, and which one is st okay, And of course now that I brought it up, we have to give one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, here's okay, okakay, Yeah, regular coke, diet coke, coke zero.
Speaker 3: Oh fuck, that's really good okay to me. I'm just gonna go with my gut. Yeah, yeah, no, I'm questioning it. I think SD is obviously coke zero, and that's my most obvious totally yes. And then I was kind of flip flopping on these, but I do think actually that I was going to go the other way. But I think Danielle is regular coke. I completely agree, yes, and then Alana is cooke cookes hera I mean die yeah, and it's based on like not only the the product itself and the reception, but also the cans. I'm basing a I'm basing a little. You have to there's such a such a strung.
Speaker 2: And I actually think those three cans correspond to how the three sisters are always dressed like a little alike but with their own personality, Like they would if they were soft drinks, they would literally look like that.
Speaker 3: They would have to do it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, agree, like similar palate. But you know, one is a short skirt, one is a pant, one is like asymmetrical skirt. Yeah, yeah, yeah. The Tina Knowles, Yeah, well they're very Tina Knowles actually designs all their costumes and of people, China knows designed that little bikini top they were when they did the dance that everyone loved.
Speaker 3: Yes, she was in a rush that day.
Speaker 2: Tina wanted each of them to be different, but that days was like, I cannot a fabric to do the entire Renaissance tour and these fu Hims sisters.
Speaker 1: Like, Okay, you're just gonna match.
Speaker 2: You're just gonna match.
Speaker 1: Should we get into the topic, yes, yes, So tell us what topic you've brought today?
Speaker 3: I would today, I would like to talk about game nights. I feel like the more gay my community has become, my circle has become, and moving to LA it became even like I would say, ten million times gayer. I'm not really going to game nights anymore. I'm sort of not. And I didn't know if that's because I was single for a while and what it was, But I do think it's like gay people, they're not doing game nights.
Speaker 2: When you were going to game nights, describe it.
Speaker 3: For us, it was sort of like if it was a very much a couple's thing, okay, and it would usually be like hosted by like a straight couple who had like a nice apartment they lived together.
Speaker 2: You were in a couple at the time.
Speaker 3: At the time, I was in a couple, yet with what gender of person with it was a lesbian relationship. But what I will say is it was I've been trying to describe My partner is six years younger than me, and I've been trying to describe to them lately how there were like no lesbians in New York in twenty eighteen or whatever.
Speaker 1: The things.
Speaker 2: You're so no, You're literally so right.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, no, you don't understand, Like there weren't any lesbians. And it's like if you weren't here, you wouldn't know, but like there weren't any. So it's kind of like, yeah, we were going to a lot of we're hanging out last week, Well so maybe like one other lesbian couple, you know. And I think that that was a time where yeah, I was going to a lot of organized like I do think like they're like organized hangs or very much a thing, and games happened to be an easy way to do that.
Speaker 2: Wow, I could do an hour. We could do an hour on how there were no lesbians in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: Well it's something where you're like I fully think that is true. Yeah, and it's like but there's no way to prove it.
Speaker 2: Well you can't.
Speaker 1: I can't prove it.
Speaker 2: Here's what you remember. This like a running joke, especially when we were touring, was like I am always staying with my lesbian couple of friends in every city because I, for whatever reason, have a lot of loves being a couple of friends. It's like one is in Bosson, one is in Berkeley, one was in Philly or whatever, and I was like wait, if I was out of town, who what lesbian couple would I stay with in New York? There were none?
Speaker 1: Yeah, where as I mean I've said that New York is for gay guys in Las for Leslie, it.
Speaker 3: Is, yes, and it's it is so wild, it's so true. And now there's like a little bit more like gen Z has really like shaken things up finally. But when I I when I came out, I feel like me and like I would say, a handful of friends came out and it felt like wow, like everyone's lesbian now and it's so small in comparison to like even today. And but like before before I came out, truly there was like one couple absolutely holding it down for years. There was like one lesbian couple and I really am like what were they? And I go, what were they do? Who are they hanging out with? George Bush? Now we know, but we know it really is. Yeah, it was really crazy, So yeah, it was doing we were, Yeah, we were hanging out with And I love my straight couple of friends. Of course, remember like who they were, what they're up? You know, but maybe they're all gay.
Speaker 2: Now A huge part of your twenties is going on group trips with straight couples.
Speaker 3: Yeah, up state, Oh MyD because that's the only place to go.
Speaker 1: I almost find it kind of sad because you're like, you do want to make it work. You're like, so we have different sexualities. Who cares?
Speaker 2: Who cares? That's the nineties.
Speaker 1: It's the nineties, everyone's bisexual. And then you're like, no, it's like a it's like an inherent difference, Like the things we want to do are so yeah.
Speaker 2: No. You're at the trip and you're like, who cares, and they're like, so, we're gonna make lasagna. Everyone get in line like you do the you do the sauce, and you're like whoa, whoa, whoa whoa.
Speaker 3: And when you're a trip with gay people, it's like, yes, people are still making lasagna, but they're also like showing each other their tops urgery cars.
Speaker 2: They're showing each other the top cars and also are wildly different and poppers are being passed around at the lasagna table when you are like passing the food from one person or the other.
Speaker 1: It's also like there's gonna be nudity in some compes, and with the straight couples it's like, no, we're going to bed.
Speaker 3: Now, that would be oh my god, if there was, like if there was a connudity on a straight couple trip the way, that would be totally just so inappropriate. I would never speak to everyone's families.
Speaker 2: Here's what happens on a straight it's nighttime, you're watching, you're rewatching Anchorman. Let's say someone goes, I'm going to bed because I have to wake up early tomorrow for a run. Yeah, I have to wake up early for a run.
Speaker 1: Whereas especially a gig eye trip, they are also waking up really for a run, but you don't know how they did it. Yeah, you're like, it is shocked so much to drink.
Speaker 3: And I don't like that that when that's happening either.
Speaker 1: It's like really scary.
Speaker 3: I don't support that either. I but agree, I think it's like and also it's like, is there even I take back what I said about lasagna. I don't know that there's dinner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or it's like really minimal tacos, like one piece of tempe on a tortilla.
Speaker 3: Yes, a cabbage salad, cabbage salad.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So what kinds of games are we talking when we talk game night?
Speaker 3: So I do think like you had said that you had you had spoken sort of about like tabletop games, which I do think so I think that still happens. I get a little I don't like having the rules explain to me. I like to play. I'm a competitive person, but I gotta sit through the rules. It's just kind of like, well I ever learned this, but then more frequently also jack box, jack box culture, jackbox games, which I do. Here's the thing I am not this is not coming from a critical place because if I have to hang out with like a couple people's boyfriends, it is sort of like there's probably gonna be maybe one that I'm actually like vibe with. So it is kind of like, yeah, we need an icebreaker, totally, we need an icebreaker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's no shame in that. Like I would rather have the icebreaker and be like I cannot believe I'm playing who know mm hmm, then literally be talking about the weather.
Speaker 1: I even on a gay trip, I find that like when you're on day three, it's like bring out jackbox, Like we need something to.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, I'm playing skip bo like all the time with lesbians. Yeah, but we're sort of doing it like I'm at a bar, and we're kind of like, do we want to do around? You know, yeah, I want to do a quick skipbo or something. But I think an organized game night is a little bit like I'm bringing like a little six pack and I'm we're going and I don't really know everybody, and I'm going to We're all going to get to know each other sort of. And none of them are drinking games, which is fine.
Speaker 1: Which is fine.
Speaker 2: I actually had an experience recently where I was watching, uh, what's Benny's show called Overcompensating. Yeah, I was watching over Compensating and they were playing some either flip Cup or beer Pung or something. And I really shocked myself because I was like legitimate. I was like I want to do that. Yeah, oh I crave it. So I was like, wait, I love flip Cup.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you play it in college? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, wait, I want to do That's so bad. There are other things that are like triggering because they remind me of just like where I was at at twenty one or nineteen or whatever. But for whatever reason, I really have only positive associations with drinking games, such.
Speaker 1: Positive sociations with both flip Cup and beer pong. Yeah, and it should be triggering, it should be like yeah, And I.
Speaker 3: Was so like, actually, yeah, it's a bad time in our lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I did really like the games.
Speaker 2: Well so far.
Speaker 3: Usually too, it's sort of like, oh, what party is going on? Not everybody has to play the game. I don't like, we have to play the game.
Speaker 2: I agree. You know what else, that's so true.
Speaker 3: You know some people are kind of playing a little flip cups, So people are having a conversation over here, some people are you know. That feels nice to me.
Speaker 2: It has the air of sports without you having to actually be athletic. And I actually think you would think, oh, drink games are so straight at so Freddy, here's the thing, I'm just as good at flip cup as a football player. Right. How many things can I say that about that are like masculine seeming.
Speaker 1: Totally well and similar. Really, there's something. The fondness I have for it is because I was like friends with the Brouses, like say.
Speaker 2: For that like half hour game recognized game. Yeah yeah, and they would maybe put their arm around you like this and be like my guy, oh it's all I ever wanted.
Speaker 3: We were sort of having different I think experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then and then you and then we would flip Yeah.
Speaker 3: I guess it is kind of like flirty to be like like we're playing flip cup together, like we're playing like or like I don't know how to how do you play this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm such a totally hideous or something. I think part of the board game thing is there's a built in like safety, like it's sort of like this night will only get so crazy, like yeah, I kind of like this is something I struggle with with Los Angeles. Yes, this podcast is half about where every night, like before you even get there, you know what the end time is.
Speaker 3: Eleven, Yeah, it's eleven.
Speaker 1: And literally clear like and so that's sort of why people are like, well, why would I even go because I know it's going to end.
Speaker 3: It eleven attending at eleven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so like a BOYD game is that all the time where it's like this is going to be a structured two hours, yeah, and then we're going to go home. And I hate knowing.
Speaker 3: That I live with in LA with a friend who is and I know she tries to play a cool game, a little game obsessed, and definitely I would say competition obsessed, you know, And so people don't know. But when she brings out a game, I see that glint in her eye that she's barely containing sort of an incredibly competitive spirit, and I do not I don't mind when she pulls out a game. I will say, though, that one time we were here in New York, which she has ever lived here, she was like a Chicago person who moved to La. Everything's ending really early, okay, But this girl has the spirit to absolutely persevere through days and days and days no sleep, okay. The most active person I've ever met. And so when we would come to New York on these little short trips, it was like we were to like six in the morning. I went, I didn't do that when I lived here. I don't need to be out that late, you know. And we were up one day at a friend's house and it was four am, and I was like, it's time to go to pack it up, and She's like, let's do one quick quick ground of anomia. No okay, And we did. Everyone was down for it, and listen, I got my head in the game. I got into it. We played a little bit. I was sort of like, that's so bold to bring out a game at four am and and to have the like her influence, to have the influence and this sway to get people to agree with that no question that people.
Speaker 1: Went, yeah, I mean that is shocking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's a very persuasive person.
Speaker 2: I can tell. But I'm sort of like that that to me reads more gay. I'm like, she's gay. Yeah, like that. It's like, folks, she's gay. Yay, I think she's out. You're outing her. The issue with what makes Game Light straight is the obsession with structure and end time and like this idea, this very sort of like parent like idea, like I just want everyone to have fun. Yeah, it's like bringing out juice boxes for everyone. It's like being the mom after the soccer game.
Speaker 3: And I like that's comforting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's comforting. And it's also a fear of the unknown, Like it's like, what could happen if we start talking suddenly we're talking politics. We can't have that, so we have to blame monopoly.
Speaker 3: Right, And I will say though, there's always one boyfriend or husband who really cares about the rules. Yeah, and I'm really competitive, but I also I really think I strike sort of an amazing balance of someone who follows the rules. I don't cheat, but I like to have fun. And if I notice someone kind of cut in a corner, it's like, I want not fun. I actually don't care if I win. I'm you know, I'm winning a lot, but I want to have a good time. I want to have a fun night. I am mature enough to understand that it's sort of like barking at someone that we don't really know that well, it's like a crazy thing to do, and it's going to shift the vibe in sort of like a treacher to a treacherous extent. And I think that, yeah, I think there's always like one boyfriend who's kind of like.
Speaker 1: Can we go?
Speaker 2: Can we go back?
Speaker 1: Would we?
Speaker 3: And I'm sort of like, I don't know, I don't know you like that, can we Just.
Speaker 1: The way that this has happened to me in a crazy like I'm just trying to play this game and someone's like no, no, no, and I'm like, I'm just trying to play the game. I'm this is my first time. I'm learning the rules, like.
Speaker 3: And what will happen should I win unjustly? What will really happen? Like what who's gonna do Who's gonna do what to me?
Speaker 2: So this is interesting. Games are combined two things that are actually kind of opposite rules, a sense of play, and I think that is the gay to straight to gay spectrum. It's like, are you playing? Is game night a rules based game night? Or is game made a sense of play based game?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Wow, because I think you can have like a really fun like playing Quiplash and everyone writing you know, literally every single entry is the f slur. That's a sense of play, and.
Speaker 3: I like Jackbox for that. It kind of keeps like the you can't cheat really so that's good.
Speaker 1: Yet and yet some people find a way to get upset at literally Quiplash to be like mine was funnier.
Speaker 3: I know, and like and I have that feeling sometimes where I go that was a better mind, was a better joke.
Speaker 2: You know when people win Quiplash because of anti humor, I get so upset and like, I put all the work into doing this wordplay and you want because yours is like poop, Yeah, like a smile a smiley emotion.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I'm kind of doing both. Yeah, Like I'm really I'm really reading the room and I'm going what will win me the right, So I'll do that. I don't care if I start to see that working, I'm changing my strategy.
Speaker 1: Ideally, the whole group, you know, it has more of an improve mentality, and everyone finds the similar voice, but not.
Speaker 3: Always No, no, I want. This is like so sad that this is a memory I returned to a lot. But years ago, I was dating this guy and he took me to play games quip blash games with his mod team, and I was absolutely murdering. Yeah, okay, I was killing and people were like full body laugh, you know, and I was getting and I was just kind of like, and I'm not sort of seeking validation in those ways anymore obviously, but I remember at the time it felt amazing, like my face was probably fully flushed, like it's really bad. And he dumped me. Can you believe?
Speaker 2: Well, obviously men are threatened by a powerful and funny and smart woman. Do you know if you didn't want him to dump you, you should have been like, I don't know, pink.
Speaker 3: I said everything I possibly could to prevent that from happening. Are you kidding? I told you having a boyfriend was like paramount for me. I really was not about for us too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I the times Misha, my soon to be husband, is like good at quip blash.
Speaker 2: He's like a funny guy.
Speaker 1: But comedians will get upset because they're like, well I do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well that is the issue with quiplash is sometimes if it's a not to get to in the weeds, sometimes if it's a mixed comedian non comedian group, it actually can be even more detrimental than straight people making lasagna. Right, Like we're talking friendships are going to be ruined.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it really reminds you. And I say this all the time, and it's one of the most annoying things that I say. It's that like we don't even really know who the audience is. You know, we think that we think of the audience as each other. But no, no, no, there's a whole audience out there. Okay, who don't they're not participating in making art, they're just there to enjoy it. And what they're laughing at, I have no idea, very different.
Speaker 2: I'll never Yeah, what are they laughing at?
Speaker 1: Who knows? Who knows?
Speaker 2: Let's think, No, are they laughing at SD's comedy routine.
Speaker 3: That they they don't know?
Speaker 2: They don't know who s This is actually something we've realized more and more is that no one knows more of whe people hate that segment. Yeah, people hate that segment because they're like, who are they again?
Speaker 1: Well, by now we compared the like casual French rest like fast casual French restaurants to the him.
Speaker 2: Sisters Paris Spaghette.
Speaker 1: That's way harder than people were, like, no one knows what you're talking about, Like the restaurants.
Speaker 3: I think it's like that's very New York, right or.
Speaker 2: Like but don't you think we're not doing like you know, Baltazar and the odeon, like you have a bump pen in Boston.
Speaker 3: Like Boston is another major metrical and to answer question, I guess.
Speaker 2: Mall and airport places like we're not you know, we're not doing like actually like a French restaurant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, Okay, I have to ask this question. Please. The the thing with the game night Ever since childhood, I have you know, fantasized of course about sort of a oh we're playing strip poker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, playing like I'm glad you brought up strip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you think like lgbt's across this great nation would be embracing sort of strip gameplay, and yet never in my life has this come about.
Speaker 3: Well, sometimes I do find like I feel like once you get into your thirties year start of like you're starting to like cross back into like now that's not appropriate anymore. Yeah, but I will find in like be in like full queer friend groups. Sometimes this is getting older. But like sometimes I go, oh, this is getting a little scary. How comfortable we're getting, Like this is actually getting a little scary. How come everyone can't kiss or some things because it can slow down, you know. I find myself getting more like kind of normy. But then if you take it, but I've come full circle because when I was in say like middle school or something, if I was at a party very rarely where people were playing Spin the Bottle or whatever, I was panicking.
Speaker 2: No, for sure, my first kiss was spin the model.
Speaker 3: And many is I think that's kind of so cute and romantic.
Speaker 2: Now I agree.
Speaker 3: At the time, I was like I can't be that, but like I know then I didn't get kiss. I was fifteen, so that's it's like jump in becau is not that old. I had my chance in eighth grade, though, you know what I'm saying, Like, eighth grade is thirteen, Yeah, I guess thirteen fourteen.
Speaker 1: My first kiss was in eighth grade.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's cool.
Speaker 3: That's really cool.
Speaker 2: Mine was ninth grade. So I'm starting right between the middle, you.
Speaker 3: Guys, I was. I was in tenth grade. Like, that's crazy, Like I was.
Speaker 2: Starting to it social you know, you should not tell me.
Speaker 3: People were sortingly talk to me in a different way where I went. But I'm missing out. I'm like missing out on something and people can tell. And that was getting scary. So I affixed it. But it was crazy.
Speaker 2: Here's my theory about strip poker and spin the model. Actually, Okay, the straight thing is because you are so terrified of nudity, intimacy, whatever, you have to make a game of it and you have to like play with your own fears about it. Whereas the reason gay people don't play, uh, strip poker is because they're already like making eyes that the person they want to going into the other room and having sex.
Speaker 1: Yeah, while everyone else there's not really the necessity for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's almost like because the potential exists so much, Like I was not really in straight spaces, being like yeah, I would fuck a bunch of people here, Like, no, I wouldn't. They disgusted me kind of vibes, And so I if I was in a room full of like a lot of my queer friends, like I can't tell you how many times, it's like my brain is just putting up a boundary. If I were to think about it for more than two seconds, I always the answer is always.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: Like, so, the potential for sex exists in a way that you actually have to You can't be playing spin the model and stuff all. You can't be like making it so easy that all of a sudden everyone's having sex with each other.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's crazy away, absolutely. And that's another thing is that queer people are When food Platter made me think of this, queer people are having legitimate sex parties.
Speaker 1: You know, we have this our house right now, We're in this back house and it's gore, and we had like a small pool gathering. We have a pool that we only share with our way lord. It's Georgina, and we had like seven gay guys over and everyone's question was do you have sex parties here?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And it was like, wait, when did this become so normal.
Speaker 3: They're like, would you want to host? Wouldn't you feel comfortable hosting?
Speaker 1: And now it's all I can think about. I'm like, what we need to host? We need a host kind of host.
Speaker 3: I know. The last time I had friends go to a sex party like in La I was, I was like, oh my god, like I have to get invited to that, like what is going on? And then when they recounted it back to me, I said, never mind, I'm going to sounds.
Speaker 2: I know, my FOMO of sex related things I'm not interested in is at an all time high. People will describe something I may I'll be like, that is not for me. That is literally not my kink, that is not my preference. Why was I not invited?
Speaker 3: My big fear exactly, I want to be invited so bad for my fantasy of it. But then my biggest fear in us in a group sex scenario is making ever making anyone feel bad that I don't want to have sex with them. I am to have sex with me, but I'm like, I truly am like my biggest fear is like I can't even be in the space because like, what if there's someone I don't want to have sex with them.
Speaker 4: I have to be like like, sometimes animal brain, I think to like almost pick someone you don't want to have sex with, well, of course, want to have sex with everyone except you.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I'm like, once I, once I decide I don't want to have sex with that person, it's like it's over. I can't.
Speaker 2: Well, because that makes them forbidden. You forbade, You made them forbidden, so then that makes them hot to you?
Speaker 3: Literally, and then why did you kind of why did you have such a big reaction?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Is it because you want to have sex with them?
Speaker 2: Right, it's actually the bigness of the reaction rather than whether it's positive or negative. It's like suddenly that person is instilled with a certain light.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like actually, do they make me really horri ezactly? Because there's a lot of people that I can't even see, like I don't totally you know, those are the people I'm probably not gonna have sex with. But it's like someone who I'm literally like I'm sort.
Speaker 2: Of like all right, well hold on, yeah.
Speaker 3: Is it just like am I being judgmental that they're wearing a harnessed or does that kind of turn me on a little.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, here's the other thing. Okay, New York orus LA what this podcast is mostly about. Yeah, in New York sex parties are like in some warehouse somewhere. People in LA asking me if I host parties. It's because they're all house parties.
Speaker 2: This is why I pause said that, because I was like refoilating my mind. I was like, to host. I understand that people also host in New York, but there's something so seventy is about hosting a part in your apartment that's so like key party or something. Yeah, yeah, and I but I guess in LA, you just have to go to someone's house.
Speaker 3: The problem though, is that when I imagine that I'm imagining like we're sort of it feels that like you're at someone's house and it feels though it is not it feels spontaneous, because like, yeah, you can't have like you can't have thirty people or something at your house and not have a little consent talk and like a here are the rules and like here's what's going on. Like you to kind of, I guess do that, but of course that it almost feels like it's like, oh, you're ruining my fantasy. Of the spontaneity, and when I had a friend explaining it to me, they were like, yeah, like I went over to help set up and like put like some like plastic and like sheets down, and I was sort of like.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, not plastic.
Speaker 3: I feel like the person hosting needs to be like, if my couch gets round, it gets ruined. I have a lot of money for a couch, Like, I think it just needs to We need to do what we can, though it is not to make.
Speaker 2: It feel Also, I'm sorry, but putting plastic down to me reads so la.
Speaker 3: I know to me it reads very actually long island.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm not quite in the same for the same reasons, but yeah, I know. And so for that reason, I think I'm I'm out on like big queer sex parties for now. For no please don't please keep me in the loop.
Speaker 2: Yet I sort of am like there's gonna be I'm gonna have a second wave of being interested when I'm like forty five, and I'm going to be like this is who I am is the new chapter of my sexual life.
Speaker 1: I listened to this podcast with some fifty year old woman who wrote an article about refinding her sexuality in middle age, and I was like, Oh, that's gonna be so me. I can't wait. It could be well, I feel like you've want I just want to find it double.
Speaker 2: You want to find a double A.
Speaker 3: Oh right, that could be generational. Yeah, I think we might have. We might be already done it.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's no, that's a really good point.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy to be one of the horniest guys on earth and then be like I can't wait to find my sexuality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like we might have dug around, but we kind of dug through what is left for me to discover.
Speaker 2: I want to bring something into the into the conversational space, which is Cards against Humanity.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: I hate that you're bringing that up.
Speaker 3: Because I don't think I've ever even played it.
Speaker 2: Really, you don't have cousins or yeah, what's the deal?
Speaker 3: We were like more of like an apples to apples younger than you.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 3: My cousins are my age, but we're sort of too old for Cards against Humanity. But then like, like I.
Speaker 2: Feel like we're the exact right age when it came out when we were like in college, got it? Don't you think right roughly because I am so. I guess the only reason I bring it up is because to me, it's so emblematic of the larger narrative of games being straight or gay, where if you need straight people need structure to be witty and random, yes, whereas a gay person is already going to say a slur.
Speaker 3: That's why I feel because this humanity feels so straight, because it's like it's kind of naughty.
Speaker 2: Exactly, It's kind of like it's naughty, but it was already written down on a car that you're picking. Just say like the baby fell down the stairs, and then I know, there you go, you don't know.
Speaker 3: And then even that becomes like such a brand of humor that makes me like feel like such a hater. It really makes me hate and it's so and it's the only absolute, only exception to that is the millennial urge to joke about nine to eleven. Like I'll let any sort of yeah nor me kind of person throw a nine eleven in there and'll be like, you know, like.
Speaker 2: Go for it, whatever, you know you love a nine to eleven.
Speaker 3: It makes me feel closer to my peers. I think it's put like a weird way. Like I think we do it in a really irreverent way and it's so tired now to joke about nine to eleven. But I also think it's like I can't think too hard about it, but like, yeah, we're probably traumatized, Yeah, our childhood, you know, to be that young and might be processing that. It's like we're probably so traumatized that we're kind of claiming it and being like I'll be joking about this for the rest of the life, you know. Yeah, it unites.
Speaker 1: Us cartians humanity. It's like I'm just realizing that, like hr rules apply to most day to day like straight socializing spaces, which is why there's sort of like locker room talk even because it's like you have to be like in a space where only like the boys are to like actually have a conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't want to hear like someone's boyfriend, Like, do you play Cards against Humanity?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Cards against Humanity is like strip is like intellectual strip poker. It's like in the way that strip poker, you're like, this is a safe space to literally take off your pants and show your gross tidy whities. Cards against Humanity it's like you can make a fat joke and no one's going to be mad at you, which we know is all You've been wanting to do this all the time, And.
Speaker 3: When you see someone get too excited, it's the same feeling. It's sort of the same thing of like play.
Speaker 5: It cool hot, Oh my god Jesus, like you would like when you see the Glee, it's sort of like I can't possibly do this, and.
Speaker 3: You always know the place that's coming from. You can always tell.
Speaker 1: Me it's on the cards.
Speaker 2: There's also something that jokes. It's like I don't want to be such a snowflake that I'm like that doctu are homophoic. But the Glee with which, for example, people will pick an AIDS joke in Cards against Humanity, you know what I mean. It's all it's all jokes that are like things we are technically not allowed to make fun of because of PC culture. Yeah, but because we are in this wreck room we can.
Speaker 1: I they owe like ten percent of everything they've ever made to South Park. Yeah, because to me, it's also just like they just took that sense of humor and put it on cards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also South Park. Not to defend South.
Speaker 3: Park, but please, I would like for you to.
Speaker 2: And also as someone who has recently been rewatching actually watching Family at for the first time and really enjoying it except for a few really, really bad moments.
Speaker 1: This was me watching South Park last No, no, this is me watching Family Guy last night in the hotel room.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you were not enjoying, not even.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: I completely like they'll They'll make like the most random joke of all time.
Speaker 3: I can't get into it either, but I do like I do, and I haven't probably watched South Park in a goo a couple of years, but I remember, I at least remember having the experience, and maybe it's college of being like their geniuses.
Speaker 1: I was dragging upon South Park.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so Mark was my favorite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's incredible.
Speaker 2: I wonder what it is south I need to try South Park as an adult because I remember when I was a kid and everyone would watch South Park. I did not get it. I was like, this is too like it's almost like cringe or something like, it's it's too awkward cringe humor, and it made me feel bad. Whereas Family Guy, there was something about I could grasp onto what it was satirizing, which was like the family sitcom, and that gave enough context that I felt like I had something to grasp on to For me, south Mark felt nilis I guess what I'm saying, But that's.
Speaker 3: Like I like it to what I do. Think they've changed the way that they like it evolved over time, Like I do think South Park used to be at like in the beginning, I think it was sort of like shocking for the sake of it in a lot of ways, and then they started to like it started to be more like commentary and get really clever, and they were like really really smart about it in a way. We're like, damn, that's like a really good episode of a what a great.
Speaker 2: You know, all right, I'm gonna go home and watch that.
Speaker 3: I think probably right, I.
Speaker 1: Think you should. I also with family, it's hard not to like just be like, this is just Seth MacFarlane, Like it's like one egotistical man. No, it is right, So it's hard sometimes to to enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Seth McFarlane is such a fascinating figure in both straight and gay culture, don't you think because he is in because think about great he is literally he's obsessed with musicals and show tunes. He like put out an album of like jazz standards.
Speaker 1: It's got us.
Speaker 2: He's so he like what he really wants, what he really wants is to be a cabaret star. It's like how Donald Trump wants to be a like Broadway producer and wants to produce cats, like Seth McFarlane wants to be like in a suit with a little whats called top thank you with a top hat and a little cane. I mean like that, that that and like hosting the Tony's he could today. I know, in fact he has hosted the Oscars.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, I feel like he could do that, like immediately to me, that's how as an outsider I perceive.
Speaker 2: But then it's like for his mode of expressing that to be a non PC animated comedy is so like taking the game and making it straight kind of.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's even when he did host the Oscars, this is the exact thing he made the joke about. He did the song the song and danced about booths, about boobs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, totally. And it was like, but don't you think that, No, no, I agree, and that and that was bad. But that is what's so fascinating. It's like you have this gay instinct to do a show tune about actresses and then you but then you're like, fuck, I can't be gay. I'm gonna make it about their boobs.
Speaker 3: It does seem yeah, like a kind of a weirdly closeted Yeah, it's crazy to make it work, but also that could be a real person, like and it is because like I think it's like if I don't know, I don't understand what being gay in Hollywood is like, even as a gay person in Hollywood, Like.
Speaker 2: What is it's literally like you think you learn the rules and then someone will be like, by the way, don't come out literally truly genuinely.
Speaker 3: I remember when I got like I kind of came out like right before I started like getting work, and then I started getting work, and my girlfriend at the time was sort of like right, but like obviously like you can't be like gay in Hollywood, and and I was like, oh, like I already. I was like I already came out, but I feel like I have sort of like really broad appeal, like I think I had like Julie Roberts appeal. And she was like, no, like you no, you won't because you came out and I was like, why wouldn't you like tell me that before I came out and let me make the choice. I think you should have brought this up to me, like because I didn't know, So I think you should have brought this up to me before I made the choice officially, and maybe I would have stayed closeted and like dated had like a beard, you know. But it's too late, So.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can honestly still kind of go back in people.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, I've worked. Yeah it's happening now. Yeah, it's happening now. Well it's been so interesting because in a way I have and then in a way I don't think that I have in that like, uh, my partner is a trans guy, and so I've been doing a lot of like my boyfriend, my boyfriend, my boyfriend, and yet and I think I would like some credit for that. I think I would like some.
Speaker 2: Do you want some credit?
Speaker 3: I think I would like some credit for like she's like, oh she is she straight?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: I think I would like a little bit of like, yeah, let's play it both ways a little bit maybe, but when you go in that direction, it kind of feels like it's like, well, you can't really do you know, you can't go back?
Speaker 2: Yeah, My friend Mattie has a joke that's like she first identified as by and was in a lesbian relationship and then her partner transitioned, and the punchline of the joke, which I'm gonna butcher, is like, you really can't escape your fate as a bye girl to have a boyfriend, like everything in my.
Speaker 3: Power, you're getting one. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you'll be getting one. And it does and it is and it obviously still functions really gay, but the terms I'm using, I'm sort of found myself letting it absolutely rip with straight friends and straight relationships just being sort of like our guys, right, like straight girls stuff, And you can tell that they don't see it the same way, but they don't. They know they're not allowed to sort of be like it's not the same, it's different like that you could tell that they're not and I'm like, right, girls were the same, functions the same.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is very like have you seen a Stepford Wive's remake when Chicole Kid?
Speaker 3: Mean, of course I have.
Speaker 2: There's like there's one gay couple, but they're clearly like one is the man and one as the woman. Yes, and the and the like, butch one is with the men like complaining about their wives.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah it is, and sometimes it is like that sometimes, you know, sometimes it really is like that, Like I wouldn't want even if I were like how to like assist boyfriend, I wouldn't want a boyfriend that I could like cueen out with or something like that would be that's.
Speaker 2: The most like TikTok things I need to clean out, you can clean out with.
Speaker 3: I need I need a What are they like when buy wife energy was a thing like yeah, I'm gonna need that. I need like I need a bitchy boyfriend for.
Speaker 2: Sure, boyfriend. It's like we were talking about there must be women. We've already talked about this, but there must be women who's fetish is a gay guy, and so they make their straight boyfriends like act gay.
Speaker 3: Yeah they make them. Yeah they're making on me. Okay, those guys are so excited. I feel like it's so funny how like a girlfriends are such a safe space for boyfriends to just be Like when you were like I think like labels or whatever you were saying, like labels are like whatever, they're detrimental, and it's like they literally are. It's so crazy the way I've seen and it's been a long time since I've had assist boyfriend, but the unclenching that happens when they're able to sort of like really a couple months in be this genderless thing that assist man becomes when he has a long term girlfriend that loves him.
Speaker 1: This is so interesting. I've never considered this in my life. I've never thought about the metamorphosis of a man in a relationship with a woman.
Speaker 3: Is it is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like essentially like when a gay guy has an older sister.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, yeah, straight man having a girlfriend is like gay men having an older sister.
Speaker 3: Yes, it brings out a beautiful side of them. It brings out something really, really beautiful and gorgeous.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting because the conventional narrative is like men almost it's like having a girlfriend or a wife firms their masculinity. That's the conventional narrative. So and that's why you know, quote unquote in cells are so unhappy because they have nowhere for their masculinity to go. But you're actually and here I'm looking for a word you are interrogating that like, oh wow, by saying no, a straight man having a girlfriend or wife actually allows him to put to become genderless. Yes, yes, and that and that's why in cells are more masculine. They need someone, they need somewhere to put their masculinity.
Speaker 3: It depends on what you think masculinity means totally. Oh, I always think of like as someone who you know has had experience like to me, yeah, I think that's really true. I think of like, obviously, gay guys are like the most masculine because I think that you're being really honest about, uh, your desire for like a partner who is masculine, like a masculinity a partner, which I do think a lot of straight guys want or are attracted to masculinity. Sure, it's I think a lot of people. I think, like, obviously, because of the patriarchy like society, we're all attracted masculinity. Everybody is gay, people like all like lesbian's everybody like to some degree is And so you are kind of like I think it's like so honest to be like, I'm a guy who wants a guy like that's as masculine as you can get. And then it's sort of like, yeah, if you're you're what do you mean you're dating a woman?
Speaker 2: Like yeah, what do you mean? What do you mean?
Speaker 3: Like you're like you're what do you mean you're using her shower products? I don't know. I'm like always, I think I've never had a boyfriend who wasn't excited to do like girly things with me.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And to admit also to admit that you love a woman is like, That's why I'm like always, like fem for fem relationships really blow my mind, Like you're.
Speaker 2: Powerful and that is really powerful.
Speaker 3: That's so powerful. I really wish I could be at a fem for firm relationship and it's just never naturally really found me. Oh really yeah yeah, I think it was just really common. It's like a very rare type of lesbian you know, to do that.
Speaker 1: Well, then why are they all over my TV screen? Can I?
Speaker 2: You know it's so interesting?
Speaker 1: If it's so rare, then why is that the one in films?
Speaker 3: You wait a minute, it's a good cue.
Speaker 2: Okay, hear me out, go with me on this. There's this horseshoe theory where it's like fem for frem relationships are both the male fantasy of like two chicks making out, but then also horseshoe around the most empowered Yes women yes, who are like we are forms that we are rejecting all masculine, but.
Speaker 3: Also sort of like the male fantasy of that is like two straight feminas, right, like two women who are doing the very sort of like a male gayzy sort of like whatever fem for fem in lesbian terms is like you have to think chapel roone, you have to think like a girl.
Speaker 2: With a for them don't exist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, And it's like it's very much. It's it also is that full circle thing of now we're doing like it's almost like when I think like high femme lesbian, it's a it's like drag a little. It's a little drag and you can it's also very clockable like a very fem gay woman. You can tell, you know, because there's almost because there's something about straight men where they go not too much, don't too too much, you know, so when you see too much, you go that's for a girl. That's they're looking. They're looking to trap a girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, men, it's more sweatpants, hair tied.
Speaker 3: Chill, no makeup on, because they're very men, straight men, and they live in a straight men live in a scary world where girls are constantly trying to trick them and trap them. It's crazy, they are trying to trick and trap those guys. Make up? Who did that? Who invented that? Absolute ruse? I used to be really.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I went through a phase where I loved to watch YouTube videos by like old men talking about how not to get tricked in the Philippines.
Speaker 2: Whoa?
Speaker 3: And it was very much like what do you mean trick toney? What do you what are you doing over there? You know what I mean? Like, what do you mean tricked? Like you're like to do like weird sexual tourism and then just be like she doesn't necessarily love you. It's very like ninety day not ninety yeah, ninety fiance or something where it's kind of like you looked for something, you found it, and then you're like mad when it's transactional and.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like whoa, it.
Speaker 3: Is what it is. But I love guys, and I love guys too.
Speaker 2: I love guys, and I actually think we need to have a conversation about masculinity in this country.
Speaker 1: Well, should we do our final segment? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Any final thoughts on game night?
Speaker 3: I could have been a game night. How I feel about sex parties where it's like I'll probably say no, but I would like to be in Like Kempton, I feel the.
Speaker 2: Same way, and I will say yes one out of every twelve times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll be like, who's going to be there?
Speaker 1: If like the dinner party leading up to the game is really fun, I'll do it.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're feeding you sometimes. Oh, sometimes I have to get married. It's like a whole different world.
Speaker 2: No, you gotta try it.
Speaker 1: I probably don't have a single game in my house.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think if I do. I don't think I do either. We did it? You have one?
Speaker 3: Well in La? Yeah, because I live with the games.
Speaker 2: Girl rare.
Speaker 3: It's not your fault. If you're not, it's not And we're never touching them. I'll be honest. Yeah, you know, we got one pack of cards we're using and that's pretty much it.
Speaker 2: It's a little more fun.
Speaker 3: Soshi go, Yeah, Soshi, I played, I've played.
Speaker 1: Our final segment is called shout outs, and we pay homage to the grand straight tradition of the radio shout out, shouting out to anything that we are enjoying. People place those things ideas, we make them up on the spot. George, do you have one?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, you kick us off.
Speaker 2: What's up, cinephiles and the letterbox users. I want to give a shout out to the film Happiness by Todd Salons, which I had never seen before in my life. And there's a new four K restoration and it was playing, and there was a Q and A with Todd Salons, who is a kooky guy afterwards and whatever happened to Laura Flamboyle, Whatever happened to Laura Flamboyle talk about talk about how women with long black hair like her guests are persecuted.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'll say, maybe where is she?
Speaker 1: Where is she?
Speaker 2: She is one of the great actresses of her generation. She and she's competing with some of the greats in that movie, and she's holding her own. She's so funny, she lands every punchline. It is a masterpiece. Beginning to end. Tot Salons cannot get any funding rate now, and yes, partly that's because he's kind of a crazy character, but it's also because our industry is dying and we actually need to rebuild it from the bottom up, and we need to bring back Laura Fla and Boil and she needs to be in a new film written and directed by a kind of crazy mail outeur. And that is my final request.
Speaker 3: I would love to see that.
Speaker 1: I would love to see it as well.
Speaker 2: Have you seen Happiness?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Have you No? It's like crazy.
Speaker 3: Do you know the I just heard someone talking about this too.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like back in theaters. Yes, it's from like nineteen ninety eight, but it's like one of the early phillipsy Moore Hawkmann performances. Dylan Baker is in it and he plays.
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, someone was just talking about that, Yes, he says, Okay, I know, and no one had mentioned Laura Flinn.
Speaker 2: Will doesn't get the respect.
Speaker 1: Yes ahead, okay, what's ups and perverts around the globe?
Speaker 2: I want to give a huge shout.
Speaker 1: Out to having a plane tradition, a tradition for when you're on an airplane. For me, I have been for the last few years every time on an airplane, I'm watching Curb Your Enthusiasm. I have never seen Curby your Enthusiasm on land. I only see it in the air, and now it brings up like a memory of all the other times I've traveled, because it's something I do every time I want an airplane. I don't know who's in charge of putting on different seasons of curby your enthusiasm on the planes, but they deserve a raise because every time I want a plane, Season four, season six, he's dead. It's completely random how they decide what season is on at any given time, and yet I've never seen the same episode twice. I'm jumping through time. It's one of the most It's so comforting to watch on a plane. I think due to you're just sort of like in a space of discomfort anyways, You're like, okay, why not just lean into it and be kind of cranky with with layer And I think, whatever your plane tradition is, you need to find for yourself. But this, for me, I start watching to enthusiasm. I say, I'm gonna be okay, I'm on a plane. I love it. Wow.
Speaker 3: And that's not a feeling a lot of people are having on the plane.
Speaker 2: No, per the door is.
Speaker 3: Falling off, all the doors and the explosions and whatnot.
Speaker 1: For that type of stuff which is rampant.
Speaker 3: Don't watch the recent season of the rehearsal if you're getting on a plane.
Speaker 2: It actually did make me afraid of landing.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, and we won't get into it too much, but the re enactments where you see the plane like land incorrectly and immediately burst into flames.
Speaker 1: It's very scary.
Speaker 3: The first time I got on a plane after watching the first couple episodes, when as we were landing, I just my brain automatically filled it in with like and then we catch on fire.
Speaker 1: I'm also just like I cannot my brain tries to imagine, Like I'm like, okay, maybe if I like, uh, you know, think about what it would be like to be on fire, I can like get used to the idea and no, what would this look like? Like like I'm on fire and I'm wearing headphones, what are they melting?
Speaker 3: And you're watching curbs sort of Oh my god.
Speaker 2: They're melting into your head ill It's like it's crazy. Yeah, I better die fast.
Speaker 1: I don't think you do.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think you wait.
Speaker 3: That's kind of iconic in a sort of like a beetlejuice or I'm like a deeper color, like a wrist cutter sort of way. A movie where that you see how people died, like you would have your.
Speaker 2: Very final destination. Yes, like you know when they die.
Speaker 1: But yeah, when they die in the Cutters reference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, not not a lot of people referencing listcutters, but it's it's one of it's part of the cannon of movies or shout out, hey, shout out to movies where they have that take place in the afterlife at least partially and you can see how the person died. The sixth sense, the Beetlejuice Movies, Risk Cutters a love story full title. It's one I recommend a lot. I haven't seen it in years. I hope it's good, but I think it's probably really good.
Speaker 1: Probably.
Speaker 3: I think it's a really good, really clever, cute movie for something that's pretty dark.
Speaker 2: Actually yeah, well wow, so many film, film and television recks.
Speaker 1: Of course. No, there's like a specific era of indie movie that it's just like when I was in college, so I was watching indie movies, yes, where I'm like, I'm like, no, there's only ten indie movies. It's like, no, it's just the ten that we're.
Speaker 3: At that month two year period and it's a little if I recall, it's a little twee, you know, there's a sure, it's a bit, it's a tad.
Speaker 1: If you like Risk Cutters a love story, you may have tickets to the Mumford and Son The Power that I've seen I'm in twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hower that Juno and little Miss Sunshine have over are exact demographic. No, it's crazy, Yeah, because Elliott Page is like a like I especially in you Are he lives in the West Side, and it's like you have no well, actually he probably does have an idea of people probably come up to him all the time. But it's like Juno changed the game.
Speaker 1: It did a huge way.
Speaker 3: It did. It also was a lately I've been coming back around like there was that first wave of sort of like shame of aging about like you know, and like of like gen Z are kind of more like the main demographic right now, and I feel old and our things are old. And then sometimes I'll talk to people younger than me and it's kind of like, oh man, it like sort of does rock to be a monniole, Like it actually is amazing, Like one time someone was like, you guys are so lucky you had like Britney Spears Club era in college, or.
Speaker 2: Like that's true, it's so true.
Speaker 3: Like G six and stuff like like we just still till the world is oh husha, Like there's just so many phases of our like childhood and young adulthood, that it's kind of like God that did rule and it was scary, but it ruled.
Speaker 1: The worst part is I well and so soon. I remember being in college and being like Bad Romance coming out and being like, wow, I'm in college with bad Romance. Yeah, like this is something that not many people get to have.
Speaker 2: I actually felt that way about spring seeing spring Breakers in theaters, I was like, fuck God.
Speaker 3: Things were just for us and it felt the good.
Speaker 1: Oh that was awesome. Yeah. Well, Taylor, thank you so much for doing the podcast. Thank you for horrible at the job of promotion. I don't know if there's any places with any and all things?
Speaker 3: Is there any all things? Out of the trip? Watch Please watch Another Simple Favorite on Amazon Prime and four seasons on Netflix and Ghosts on Hulu if you want to.
Speaker 1: She's multiplatform trying to get on all the platforms, and.
Speaker 2: We don't have time, but obviously off my gift to tell us which of those is Stu? Which is Daniellen?
Speaker 3: Which oh my god, Yeah, oh that's so hard.
Speaker 2: Okay, bye, okay bye podcast and now want more? Subscribe to our Patreon for two extra episodes a month, discord access and more by heading to patreon dot com. Slash Stradio Lab.
Speaker 1: And for all our visual earners, free full length video episodes are available on our YouTube now.
Speaker 2: Get back to Work.
Speaker 1: Stradio Lab is a production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Created and hosted by George Severis and Sam Taggart.
Speaker 1: Executive produced by Will Ferrell, Han Soni and Olivia Aguilar, co produced by Bei Wang, Edited and engineered by Adam Avalos.
Speaker 2: Artwork by Michael Failes and Matt Grub. Theme music by Ben Kling