Speaker 1: Get your heads together, and we're going to start the party.
Speaker 2: I'm ready a party.
Speaker 3: The Elvis Duran After Party.
Speaker 2: The After Party Podcast. And we're here.
Speaker 4: There's Gandhi and there's Danielle and Skeary and Scotty Bee's joining us, and there's a straight and eight. Okay, we got a houseful. Hey, I know that Gandhi, you and daniel both finished the ocean Gate disaster Titan the ocean Gate Disaster, Yes, and I started it. And I was just telling them a second ago that I wasn't in the headspace to watch it because it was so sad, and it was it was infuriating. Also, yeah, yeah, outrageous. So let's talk about it. I mean, it's getting a lot of views for many reasons. One, it's it's a big piece of story history for us. We saw it unfold. Remember when they said they only have so many hours to breathe down there?
Speaker 2: Absolutely yep, And then we found out what was really good. So where do you want to start?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's a really good tutorial in exactly what not to do, especially when it comes to running a business and or science and engineering. You hire people around you for checks and balances to tell you and fill in the blanks about the things that you don't know, and then you're supposed to listen to them, right, And that did not happen here, And I just thought through the whole thing, which is what I was asking Danielle. You know his team, because so many people on that team left because they said, what the hell is happening here? This is wildly unserted.
Speaker 3: Because they knew something bad was gonna happen. Yeah, they knew, and they didn't want to be part of it.
Speaker 1: So all these people left. So I was asking her, do you think when that first news bullet went out, Hey, the ocean Gate submersible has gone missing? Every single one of them was like, oh, yeah, we know exactly what happened.
Speaker 3: Because I thought, how many times during that documentary did you see it? You know, they were testing different ones and it would go down and the pressure would get so bad and then it would explode. Yeah, And I was like, oh my gosh, it's so crazy that that's actually how the guy dies. And he's testing all of this, so I think they knew right away that it exploding.
Speaker 1: That complosion stuff is wild. And the fact that he put his body in it every time was fascinating. Part of me respected that because he was like, I believe in this, I'm going to go down and do it. But it's like, imagine you have a car and as you're driving the car, all of the lights and you know, all the warnings are going off, and then the engineer of that car is like, hey, if you go past the speed, it's going to be a bad, bad thing and you're going to die. And then you say, cool, just kill all the lights.
Speaker 3: I don't need to see those, you remember.
Speaker 4: It was really interesting how he was telling everyone on board, Hey, if you hear alarms, just ignore them.
Speaker 2: Yes, we'll get through that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no alarms are there because they're alarming you about something going wrong exactly.
Speaker 3: And there was one thing that they did. Wait, he wasn't supposed to drive the actual capsule thingy, and he decided last minute that he wasn't even trained in it. He was like, I'm driving, and the guy who was supposed to drive was like, no, I need to do it. And what did he do. He drove it right into something, he hit something with it, and then then he stopped talking to the guy who initially was supposed to drive it and he was just like like basically like a baby, I'm not talking to you anymore, and like ignoring him because the guy told him what was going to happen. I mean, ridiculous.
Speaker 4: So this guy total narcissist. He didn't stop to think that he was putting these people's lives in danger, No, including his own. Yeah, and these poor people trusted him and he gave them obviously enough information to make them think he could be trusted. Yeah, and just dangerous that people put other people in harm's way every single day in different forms of this, and he lost.
Speaker 2: He lost big for sure.
Speaker 1: And I think you know, Nate and I was kind of talking about this. He seemed like somebody who really didn't understand the concept we talk about all the time, which is failure is part of your road to success. You are going to have setbacks. That's how you learn and that's how you get better. But he wouldn't accept any of the pieces that were failures. He just kept thinking, Nope, I don't accept that you're telling me this is going to break. I'm powering through and look what happened. The ultimate failure. You have to really lean into that stuff because it's important.
Speaker 5: I want to know more about the people who trusted this guy and why didn't they do their research or you know, and properly vet him and his company.
Speaker 4: Are you talking about the customers customers have worked with him, the customers, the customers that went down there with him, Well, you know, well that says a lot about us and how we just sort of believe everything we read.
Speaker 2: Scary, that's scary.
Speaker 4: I mean any charge anytime. No, no, I'm not thinking so it makes you a bad person. But if you start believing every little ad you read and every quote unquote science results or research results that come out about this pill, that pill, this this food, that food, and you believe all of it, then you more right behind him. And that's what they did with him, he said, just enough to make them believe.
Speaker 2: Yep, it was okay to go.
Speaker 3: Down Even his own people wouldn't go to like they have, Like, so would you have gone into the submersible yourself? And the people that work with they were like.
Speaker 4: Nope, no, Well, so should that any of them be held accountable or someone accountable?
Speaker 2: They tried.
Speaker 3: They all tried, so tried.
Speaker 1: Some of them did have to end up testifying in front of the committees that were investigating what happened, but most of the engineers left or were fired on their way to doing this, So the people who were kind of left behind were almost the like weak links of the team. So yeah, it is. I mean, they should definitely have been held accountable for some of the things. But they were also saying, you know, part of the way he convinced people was because it had made it down there a few times, but every time it went down and got weaker, because every time those clicks in those pops, it was breaking. And then they sent out this rattlely, you know, horrible thing, and that's what happened.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you guys a question. Let's talk about exploration as a whole. You know, hopping on.
Speaker 4: A craft that sends you up into outer space, going into a submersible to go down and see the Titanic. I mean, you do have to basically submit and just put your life in people's hands, in their team, they're team's hands.
Speaker 2: But you want to be an adventurer.
Speaker 4: You you, of all people here on the show, Gandhi, you you are the closest to being one of those.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you would?
Speaker 2: So how would you?
Speaker 4: How would you have vetted this guy, how would you have explored, well, the goods and the bads, what this this would have been?
Speaker 2: Who could have been?
Speaker 1: That was kind of tough because I'm looking at it in hindsight where I say, hell, no, I would never do that. If I had been in a position where I said, oh, this thing's gone down so many times, it must be fine, I think I could have seen myself saying, yeah, I'll roll that dice. It's happened so many times. What can possibly go wrong? And now that I've seen this, I would not do that. I would like to believe that, you know, teams are in place for reasons, but we're learning this guy didn't do it that way.
Speaker 4: What about the SpaceX thing Danielle Gandhi or that's the SpaceX thing several weeks ago, Katie Perry is shooting in an outer space with Dale King or whoever they're with.
Speaker 2: I mean, seriously, they all put their.
Speaker 4: Lives in the hands of these people, right, and there was a chance that could have gone south.
Speaker 1: Of course, Yeah, I don't think that trip was worth it if I mean, all they did was like shoot up into the atmosphere and then come back down and you like, hold a daisy. That happened.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you that was a ride and an amusement.
Speaker 1: Yeah that No, if if there was a chance to maybe like go to the moon and step on the moon or go to Mars maybe, I don't know. But now that I've seen this documentary, I'm going to do a lot more research and ask for the engineering reports before we go.
Speaker 4: But but I get it back up, Daniel, you said somebody that was a ride in an amusement park.
Speaker 2: It wasn't. That was not an amusement park.
Speaker 3: No, but I've been in the atmosphere and it goes up and then it goes similar, you know.
Speaker 4: We you know they they received backlash and what ever. You know when they came back down to Earth after the five seconds in space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they were taking a chance for their life.
Speaker 3: They definitely were. I'm sure they had assigned lots of papers.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about what you're thinking and feeling inside when you're about to hop on board one of those crafts, either under the ocean or into outer space.
Speaker 2: You're thinking, Okay, this could be it for sure.
Speaker 1: Of course, have any of you guys, how many people here have gone skydiving.
Speaker 3: You have.
Speaker 1: I think it's sort of akin to that innate you have to have. Yet it's like that feeling as you're stepping out of the plane where you sort of just have to surrender.
Speaker 2: You know, you have to.
Speaker 1: There's a chance, there's a chance that this shoot doesn't open, there's a chance I hit the ground. But that feeling in the moment of doing something so incredible, it's kind of nice.
Speaker 2: I felt that way you're ziplining.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it was similar.
Speaker 2: It was similar.
Speaker 5: I felt like this this thing is I'm held together by this like rope in this Yeah, that scared the hell out of me, and I'm like, oh my god, this could be it.
Speaker 4: You feel that way when you go under the knife, when a surgeon is now going to put you to sleep and you are in their hands right. Well, so that's that you have to have that courage to do it, but you also have to understand that there are there are chances that you want to come back.
Speaker 6: You know what's funny is since I've had kids, I stopped completely taking unnecessary risks, so I won't do any of that thrill seeking stuff like I would go and hot air balloons and blimps and stuff with Greg t all the time. And then since I had kids, I won't do any of that stuff anymore because they need me.
Speaker 2: I need to be here for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Well that's a responsibility.
Speaker 4: Okay, So if you're running ocean Gate and you're taking Titan down to the depths of hell, basically, I mean he had it seems not one ounce of that same responsibility for human life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't seem to care.
Speaker 2: Now, didn't seem to care.
Speaker 3: No, he was and he was a narcissist. Yeah, that's what you know.
Speaker 1: They said he wanted to be Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos. He was a D swinging contest and that's all he wanted to do was come back and be like, look what I did.
Speaker 3: And he actually didn't. He he used like that term and said that he wanted to be one of the big D swingers.
Speaker 2: He swung his.
Speaker 4: Deep and it wasn't much date to swing obviously, Titan, it's the ocean.
Speaker 2: Wait, I can't read my writing, Titan, what.
Speaker 1: Is the ocean Gate submersible disaster? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Can you read that on that? Look?
Speaker 1: No, I don't know. Says something about.
Speaker 4: Duck Anyway, Titan the ocean Gate disaster. Check it out and let's know what you think.
Speaker 3: The Elvis ter Ran after party