Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first. Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States savings. Very terms apply. All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 3: Oh there's you know what, it's so oh my gosh, I searched all morning looking for my actual earpiece. Find it as they were in there all right. More importantly, though, with the box of sharpies. These are actually for you. But thanks, Bob, you have taken all You understand the satisfaction of the sharp frisk, newness of the sharpie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it makes it. It makes it a lot easier to write in to write understand, my handwriting is already pretty bad.
Speaker 3: Correct and no listen, sharpies are a great product in all forms. However, there is nothing quite light drawing with writing with a sharpie marker, not the ultrafying point pins the markers when they have the finest point on, that's the greatest. And and everyone laughs at me. I always use sharpies, and I have probably three thousand sharpies in this house because I don't believe in throwing them away because they still right well as soon as they lose the fineness of.
Speaker 4: The point get it. That is like one of my more occulant habits, not.
Speaker 3: Yeah habits, just just kind of yeah, I've used this sharpie twice, throw it in the trash. It makes me feel like that.
Speaker 4: Like an arch duke somewhere, man, you can afford it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. I got money for a SHARPI budget, so that's your birthday present, So that'd be birthday. I used three of them, but you have the other twenty one.
Speaker 5: This is huge, welcome in.
Speaker 3: We are back. What's right with Nick right in the podcast and YouTube show. A show that's doing quite well on YouTube, could do a little better on the podcast rankings. But I thought long and hard over my time on vacation. I'm not gonna spend any more time asking you guys to listen, subscribe, rate, review those things. You guys are already here. I appreciate you. We need to bring in other people. Those are the people and put a billboard or something for that. I'm ready to go. We have so much to do today thanks to this show. The great Kareem Abdul Jabbar was trending nationally this morning as the number one or Monday morning. I should say, when we're recording this, you guys will hear at her seat on Tuesday. It's the number one sports topic. But then Woj comes in over the top rope. He has stories. We have so much to do. I had I was attacked by a cephalopod on vacation, I jumped off a cliff. We have that. I have some ranting complaining to do. Also, demons, welcome back. You had last show we did Your baby sister, who's no longer baby, eight year old Deanna was in for you before we get to the show, very quickly ten seconds or less. Your review of her performance.
Speaker 4: She killed it. She crushed Deanna's a nat like. That's that's her, that's her nietzche. I think she's going to be an actor one day. Okay.
Speaker 3: First of all, it warms my her hear say that. Second of all, I agree with you on Deanna's future career. Third of all, correct and proper usage of niche. There, my guy, my guy. He also had a birthday while we were on. Happy twenty fourth birthday to Demanse. Okay, let's get to what's not on today's show. Not on today's show is the chess robot that attacked the child is? So here's the deal. I need more details. Chess robot's playing a kid. Now, the news stories, the clickbait headlines are robot grabbed out and broke the kid's finger. That did happen? What I want to know is Is this because the robot was worried the child was beating him? Or did the robot think the finger was like the bishop and he was trying to move it. I need more details there, and I need more details. It means I probably just needed to read the story. Number two better Espe's host Lebron or Steph. We're not going to get into that because for the seventh consecutive year, I did not watch the SP's and number three, no one seems to want Russ Jimmy g We're not getting into any of that. What are we getting into this morning? Demanse?
Speaker 4: You put Michael Jordan at number three on your top fifty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 4: You said yourself, Jordan's peak was probably higher than anybody's.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Lebron and Kaream were the last two. Yeah. So are you basically saying that longevity and consistency are more important than actually winning.
Speaker 3: Okay, So here's what I want to do here, and we did some of it on Monday on first things first, and we're going to do it here in full without me having to deal with the with the gibber jabber and interruptions from brus Sard and Wilde. Now, that they really interrupted me much. But I want to lay out the full case about Jordan versus Koreem, because I don't think anyone's shocked that I have Lebron ahead of Jordan. They would have been shocked if I didn't have Lebron ahead of Jordan. What people are shocked by is that I had the audacity to put Michael Jordan third. So first, let's just back up and discuss this from a intellectual perspective. If there is an argument for the greatest ever at anything that is a three person argument then so, for instance, if you are saying, hey, who's the greatest president ever? And some people are like, I think it's George Washington first and the best. Some people are like, I think it's a blink, and you know, won Civil War, helped free the slaves. And someone's like, I think it's FDR dude won four elections, new deal. All that. If it's a three person race for the goat of anything, then someone who is somebody's goat is going to come in third.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: That is just accepted, understood, logical. It's a tautology, right, Okay, So then the question becomes should it be a three person race well, if in anything we are measuring, one person has scored more points, or more goals or more touchdowns, anything, scored more points than anyone in the history of the sport, has the most league and vps of anyone in the history of the sport, and has as many championships as any as the of the the other goat candidates, that person would of course be one of the eligible goat candidates.
Speaker 5: Correct.
Speaker 3: So I just described Kareem now, so Kareem has to be in the discussion. Lebron has to be in the discussion, and Michael has to be in the discussion.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: So this is my wife is right here by the way, standing off camera. We can't show her because she's not camera ready right now. She is so bored with this discussion. But I'm not gonna let that take away from the fact because I'm not bored with discussion. Because while Lebron versus Jordan has been discussed a lot, Kareem versus any of these guys has not been because he is a forgotten man because when he played, let's be honest, media didn't really like him. Why didn't they like him? Well, seventies weren't necessarily the kindest time to black men who converted to Islam and were incredibly politically active and spoke about racism. And we're a little curmudgeonly with the media, so maybe he didn't get the fairest shake in his own era by the president, and post his basketball career, we have not celebrated him because he's not the Russell Wilt era of grainy footage. But the NBA really came to life with the magic Michael Bird era, of which he was a part of. But it almost hurts him because that was Kareem wearing his goggles and in a different phase of his career at the very end of it, as opposed to Kareem kicking ass and taking names at the beginning of it. And some of this is going to be explained when we do the Kareem video, whether he lands at one or two. But I'm going to explain some of it here about Kareem's basketball life, and I for our rankings, the pre NBA stuff doesn't technically matter, but it could serve as an interesting tiebreaker. So I want to tell what is the what do you know, Demanz, what's the famous story? And maybe you know what? Maybe you don't. Sometimes I forget how young you are. But about Michael Jordan and high school basketball? Do you know it?
Speaker 4: Michael Jordan in high school basketball?
Speaker 3: The famous story with Jordan, legendary early is he was cut from his high school.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, so you know he didn't make he did. He didn't make his his freshman team.
Speaker 3: What he didn't make varsity as freshman year, which is what they have turned into. He was cut, didn't make varsity as freshman year. He was cut. It's a little legend making, but he had to build it. Kaream abdul Jabbar went seventy nine and two in high school and had a seventy one game winning streak and won three New York state titles. That was cream in high school. What do you know about Michael Jordan's college career. He was a really good player who was freshman year, hit a shot to win the national championship, won Player of the Year one time, and was the third pick of his draft. Dream Abdul Jabbar played three years of college basketball because back then you weren't allowed to play as a freshman. In those three years, his team went eighty eight and two. All three years, he was player of the year. All three years he won the national championship. All three years he was most outstanding player of the final four. He lost twice in college. One came in a game where he got hurt but played through it and they lost by two. The other came in a game where it was pre shot clock and the other team stalled this entire second half and it was I think UCLA only scored ten points. So he's eighty eight two in college. Again, there's just college and then so what about his freshman year. His freshman year, UCLA's varsity team, which he wasn't allowed to play for, won the national championship. The freshman team at UCLA beat the varsity team because of Kareem when they played each other in a scrimmage on campus. They were twenty and er. They also changed the rules and outlawed dunking during Kareem's college career because he was too good.
Speaker 4: That's insane, Okay, So that's in college.
Speaker 3: In the pros, though, which is what the league is based on or the list is based on. Michael Jordan was drafted to a twenty seven week when crummy Chicago Bulls team his rookie year, he led them to thirty eight wins. They were thirty eight and forty four and made the playoffs. Kareem, oddly enough, was drafted to a twenty seven win Milwaukee Bucks team, same as Michael Jordan. They won fifty six games his rookie year and won a round of the playoffs. Michael's second year, he was swept in round one by the Boston Celtics. Kareem's second year, they won sixty six games. They went twelve to two in the playoffs. He won League MVP. He won finals in teams. That's the beginnings of their career, the ends of their career. Michael Jordan, it is legendary now, King not so. He had Oscar Robertson for not his rookie year, but that second year. That is true, That is absolutely true. What is also true is Oscar played four years with Kareem. Only two of those years did he average even fifteen points per game. It was a different player. One year in the finals, Oscar averaged nine points per game. Oscar was a different player at that point in his career. Oscar is an all time great. It's and that you know what, that's a fair It's a fair take. Kareem at Oscar and then he had magic. I get that, and we'll get to that in full in a moment. Now let's go to the end of the career. Michael Jordan at thirty eight years old, came back to basketball and helped the Washington Wizards win thirty seven games and he averaged twenty two points perham. There's thirty eight. Kareem abdul Jabbar at thirty eight years old, one finals MVP. Michael Jordan at forty years old averaged twenty points per game for a thirty seven win Washington Wizards team. Kareem Abdul Jabbar at forty years old averaged twenty two twenty two points per game in the finals to win the championship. He had the most unsopable shot in the history of basketball, the skyhook. And on top of all of that, and at one last piece and then we can move on. Michael Jordan played fifteen seasons in the league if you as far as where he only played like played at least parts of him. But one of those was the ninety five season where he only played the very tail end because he's come back from baseball. So Michael Jordan played fourteen full seasons in the league. Kaream up dul Jabbar had fifteen seasons where he was top five in MVP voting. He had fifteen seasons where he was first or second team All NBA. And Kaream up dul Jabbar at forty one years old, Game six of the NBA Finals, ten seconds left down one? Who did the Lakers draw the play up for the captain Kareem ub dul Jabbar. So I say all that to any what did he do? He got fouled, kind of a phantom falcohol, made both three throws, then they won Game seven. That was the Isaiah Thomas brain ankle game. I say, aw, that's say this put some goddamn respect on the captain's name.
Speaker 4: Compelling argument there.
Speaker 3: In high school is better in college? Who's better as young players? Better as an old player? Oh? In the winning thing? One last point, the Lebron versus Michael thinks tough. Lebron's that four rings, Michael's got six. But I would ask you this, America. I present to you two Olympians. One has six gold medals and zero silver medals. The other guy has six gold medals and four silver medals. Who was the better Olympian. Everyone would say, uh, the guy with six golds and four silvers, that's Kareem. Michael has six championships and six finals. Kareem has six championships and four other finals appearances. So folks can again. Michael Jordan I did forty five minutes of love to him, has a compelling case that he's the greatest player ever. So does Kareem abdul Jabbar.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, I wish I could have. I've got to watch some Kareem highlights at this point.
Speaker 3: Listen, they're not that exciting. He's just doing the goddamn skyhook again and again and again and again. But if you had a boxer and it's like, eh, he just does the jab, It's like, well, no one's ever beaten him, and he lands it. Oh, one other cream fact and then we'll move on. Okay, Okay, I'm thirty seven years old.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Kaream abdul Jabbar set broke Wi Chamberlain's record for most points scored in NBA history before I was born. He still holds it. He still holds it. April of eighty four, cream sat there. I have not lived a day of my life where kaream up, little Jabbar was not the NBA's all time leading score. Those things seem to matter. Now we can move on.
Speaker 4: Okay, Uh, you don't think that that has anything to do with out all right, go ahead, No, go ahead me, it's I don't like to go to the whole era of basketball. I think Kareem would have dominated.
Speaker 3: The way that he did and in today's era, well, we're gonna talk about that with Draymond later. With the fair knock on the Kareem seventies era of domination is there was a there was a competing league in the ABA, and a lot of the great players of the basketball players were playing in the ABA, Right, that's the fair point. Would Kareem have been able to kick ass in any era?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: In today's zero, is it possible Kareem would have been better because not as many teams have centers. Yes, that's Skyhook's not getting blockable, Like there's no there's no blocking it. We'll do more when we do the Kareem uh, whether he's first or second on the ranking show. But because of Demons's constant interruptions there, we might have to go a little late here on the Boston.
Speaker 5: Exactly do it?
Speaker 4: Well, let's put out an interesting tweet at two thirty am on Monday, yeah Uh says that the Celtics are now a team that are interested in Kevin Durant, Jalen Brown and Derek White were reportedly offered. Yep. So are you surprised that the Celtics offered this or more surprised that the Nets didn't take it?
Speaker 3: Okay? So WOJ had the original story and then Shams followed it up with that the Celtics offered Jalen Brown Derek White in a first round pick and that the Nets countered with Jalen Brown, Marcus Smart, another player, and multiple picks. I'm actually more interested in your take on this than mine. You're the Celtics fan, yep. Do you want them to trade Jalen Brown and stuff? Here's the trade I came up with, because what's the halfway between Derek White and Marcus Smart? Time lord, Tredeye, Here's what I came up with. Jalen Brown, time lord, A couple first round picks for Kevin Durant. You are running the Celtics.
Speaker 4: They are your team, Tatum, Jalen Brown and KD No.
Speaker 3: No, no, don't keep Jaalen, you keep Smart, Tatum and Katie. You're trading Jalen Brown House to be Jalen Brown Time Lord in a couple first round picks for Kevin Durant. Would you do it?
Speaker 4: Uh, that's tough, man, I mean because obviously Robert Williams has he's he's young, he's got a long time ago.
Speaker 3: But it's good. Okay. So Jaalen Brown, Marcus Smart and a couple of picks for Katie. Would you do that? You give a soft spot in your heart for Time Lord what the Nets reportedly wanted.
Speaker 4: Yes, what would you do? I'm I'm down for that. I don't think you include Robert Williams just because Al Horford's getting older. I feel like you can work around the building up some other young guys or getting some other guys.
Speaker 3: And they just got they just added Malcolm Brocken and free agency. So so you would do Jail and Marcus Smart for Kevin Durant, by the way, I think most people would. I'm not saying, I'm just asking you as a Celtics.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, no, I don't care if anybody backs on me. Yeah, yeah, okay, let me ask different questions. Would you do keep everyone.
Speaker 3: On the team Tatum for Durant, one for one. No, okay, So everyone agrees with you on that. The Nets aren't even asking for Tatum because they think he's untouchable. I agree with you on that. Here is the counter argument to my own point there. Okay, okay, the reason you don't think Tatum is better than Durant.
Speaker 4: No, no, but I think that's he's close that that could happen.
Speaker 3: In twenty four, right, it could happen, but otherwise he's twenty four. Here's what I think NBA teams need to start recognizing how valuable are young player's future when there is no guarantee in today's NBA whatsoever that that future is spent with you. So Tatum's got three years left on his deal, and that's assuming guys don't demand a trade early. So everyone's talking about a Tatum's ten years younger than Durrant. He is, But if he only has three left on his deal, who's gonna be better over the next three years, Tatum or Durant. That's an interesting discussion. Yeah, And if Tatum, who's to say Tatum's going to be a lifelong Celtic. I don't know the answer to that. I also don't know this. How does Jalen Brown react because the Tatum stuff is just a figmum of my own imagination. Is an interesting thought exercise. How does it land on Jalen Brown's doorstep that he is once again a part of trade rumors? They draft him, he improves, he improves, helps lead him to a conference finals, then helps lead them to NBA finals. Is a perfect citizen on and off the court, and once again they're trying to trade him. They've offered it and that's our time. But again and we only did two topics, but it's fine. We're back from vacation. We got a lot to do. How does that screw things up for them chemistry wise? I think that's a real concern. And I think at this point, like if you're this is one of the reasons demant say. I never bag on the players for looking around being like ah, I know I'm under contract, don't like it here, want to change scenery. I know everyone's like ah, the old timers, they'd stick it out. And it's not always true. But whatever teams, it does not matter if you do everything exactly the way they want, do everything right. The moment someone a little bit better comes around, they will offer you up.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: And so the Celtics. I'm sure the Celtics did not want this leaked. And now if you're if you're Brooklyn, a little more leverage comes your way because this harmony good feelings for Boston. It's soured a bit by the fact that your second best guy, the guy who tweeted the energy's about to change and then you go on this magical run. It's like none, no, no, we would trade you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And by the way, you should trade Jalen Brown and stuff for Kevin Durant. He's Kevin Durant, He's Jalen Brown. It doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I don't know. I don't know if the if it'll change him on the court, like say, if he were to stay and these hold the whole trade rumors things that happened. I just don't see Jalen Brown being the type. I feel like it's not his teammates that offered him up.
Speaker 3: Sure, that's a good points of his coach either, right, but it also here's this jam Brown's got two years left on his deal. Does it make Jalen Brown less apt to want to re sign with Boston. Maybe they've they've they've talked about trading at least twice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so probably listen.
Speaker 3: The other big part of this and then we'll move on was Shams and woj both reiterated that Kevin Durant has not softened at all on his trade request because there was a little speculation as Katie maybe was he testing things out seeing what it was. Now that he can't go to Phoenix because they resigned eight and there's no trade there, it not according to Woje and Sham, So Shams, that's the latest on that. It was a good twenty minute media block. I apologize Demonse wouldn't shut up, so we weren't able to hit our That's your fault, as always we have I'll be honest. B block might be a long one too. We got a lot to do in the B block. Take quick break, be right back by the way before huge, before we get to the B block. Jalen Brown just tweeted, s m h, really that's happening live while we are recording.
Speaker 5: S very vague.
Speaker 4: Could mean a number of things.
Speaker 3: I do now. His pin tweet is still the energy is about to shift which is right where the Celtics were on that run. I do wonder if that how long that pin pin tweet shall last night?
Speaker 4: Okay, the energy is still about the shift.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we could shift again, shift back the other way. All right, you ready to go, let's do it? All right, welcome back in what's right? Nick? Right, there's a ten minute clock on the screen for this segment. My guess is we're not gonna hit that one, but we're back from vacation where you need extra time? All right, demonsey, what are we starting with?
Speaker 4: Starting off with JJ Redick?
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, yes, I love this topic.
Speaker 4: He said on ESPN that Bob Coosey played against firemen and plumbers. Huh. Jerry West then clapped back and question JJ Reddi's career. Yeah. Then Draymond Green says after watching the ninety seven Bulls Jazz Finals that the twenty seventeen Warriors would beat the Bulls by twenty and the Jazz by forty.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Why does it seem like the new media is just old era and new era players just going at each other?
Speaker 3: Okay, so so much here. First, let me I'll do the Draymond things. Second, first, let me do the Jerry West jj Reddick thing So Jerry West made the Finals nine times, average thirty points per game in his career in the finals, had multiple series in his career where he averaged more than forty points. Nobody can talk to Jerry West and have a leg to stand on, except for Bill Russell, who kept kicking his ass. Everyone else needs to shut up, all right, Jerry West, I'm gonna show you something, Demonse, hold on, I'm gonna look this up real quick. Jerry West to finals shot.
Speaker 4: I've actually seen a few Jerry West clips. Lord Jerry West clips than Kareema blul jabbar. Okay.
Speaker 3: I want I want you to just look at this. Why I'm why I'm talking. I want you to look at this shot right here. Keep in mind, when this happens, the Lakers are down down a point. This is in the NBA Finals. Uh, this is game. I'm sorry, They're down two points. Keep in mind there's no three point line. They're down. They're down two points. Right when this happens, there's two seconds left this game three of the Finals. Bang a sixty five footer to force overtime in the goddamn NBA Finals.
Speaker 4: Really annoying that that's not worth three three point line.
Speaker 3: Very short three point line early eighties. But so yeah, so nobody needs to so. And by the way, JJ wasn't talking trash about Jerry West.
Speaker 5: And JJ.
Speaker 3: Also, by the way, the plumbers and firement thing is actually from an old Twitter thread from a parody account making fun of Michael Jordan where they just found a bunch of clips of Michael Jordan going up against exclusively white dudes. Yeah, and just said Jory, it was actually a pro lebron thing. But here's why I love this story so much. I had no problem with the hashtag new media. I welcome all comers to the media, but I do like it a bit when the new media gets a little too close to the stove and singes their beard a bit. I do feel The analogy I used on TV was I feel like I'm an old chef who's been in this cooking up these takes for years, and then all of a sudden, I see that Salt Bay fella come out and get all this social media love, and everyone's like, oh, look at how he tosses the salt and all this stuff. And then I read a story that Salt Bay burnt his kitchen down, and I'm like, oh, oh, buddy, ho hey, hello, hot for you did it?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, you're.
Speaker 3: Really in this take game every day. Then all of a sudden, you got you got Jerry West.
Speaker 4: You is just really funny to me.
Speaker 3: This is where JJ is. It gotta be so frustrated and all the like mid level NBA guys got to be frustrated. You know, Jerry West can never take a shot at whose career. He can never take a shot at me because I didn't have one. I didn't call anybody anything. Guess what, look up My career points per game ain't gonna find it.
Speaker 5: You know what.
Speaker 3: My shooting percentage is perfect zero for zero doesn't matter. Meanwhile, JJ reddick awesome college player, really good pro player, and Jerry West is like, man, you were trash bro, what games did you impact? So I got to feel for JJ. But also I've been living that life forever, not the one where people talk about my career, but where you say a take and you're like, h probably didn't even say the plumbers requirement thing, like you don't think After I did the Wiggins thing years ago, I was like, I probably wouldn't have said he's a bad basketball player. I probably should have said he's inefficient, it's a bad contract. But he got away from me, and now he's thrown back at me. Okay, So that's the JJ thing, and good for Jerry West. He's been fired up ever since that HBO show came up. He's angry. Don't listen. If somebody forwards this this uh info to Bob Coozy on Facebook or four chan or whatever he's on these days, he'll be pissed too. That's a Bob Coozy political comment. By the way, yeah four Chan, we don't have to get in it on the podcast. Ah, Bob Coozy has some problematic political takes. Okay, Okay, Now to the Draymond thing. Draymond is just, yeah, Raymond, just the gift that keeps on giving. So Draymond's live watching a Bulls Jazz Finals game and he sends out some tweets and I'm gonna present you here's the first suite that I want to show.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 3: Show it to the audience, and I'll read it for our audio listeners. I guess all listeners are on audio question. When they be comp comparing eras, are they taking into consideration the drastic differences in style of play. Regardless of the answer, it's very dumb to compare one era to the next era. So that's typical new media saying what the old media does is dumb. Why would you ever consider comparing eras? Draymond then sends another tweet, and the next tweet is is a kind of another version of that. Learn to appreciate things for what they are, analyze the game, and stop the unnecessary debating. Yours truly the new media. So that's Draymond saying, listen, guys, the point of comparing eras is foolishness. All those things, it makes no sense. What is so odd and interesting? I think that is our house phone ring. I didn't even know we had a house phone. I was just letting the podcast audience hear it. I'm rolling right now. This is we do the show from home. Obviously, I didn't even know we had a house Okay, So Draymond sends those two tweets. Sandwiched in the middle of those two tweets, is this one, and it is so perfect? Show me the next one. I'm watching ninety eight Bulls versus Utah in the finals. I can't help but notice our twenty seventeen team would have beaten the Bulls by a dub and the Jazz by forty if they're gonna play these brands in basketball. And that's why it's dumb to compare eros. Buddy, Exactly what you're saying new media does or old media does is what you're doing. It is the And by the way, you know what is not new at all? You know what is the oldest form of media. The retired player or in this case, current player declaring with his whole chest and his Draymon would say, standing on it. Yeah, you know, as it happened, my era was the best. Yeah, whenever it was, here's the best.
Speaker 5: Bye.
Speaker 3: Oh you know, asked Will Wilt said, Wilt was interviewed, No, Wilt. There's a great clip of Wilt being interviewed watching Jordan play and they asked him. He's like, I don't know, I'd have scored forty against the Earth. I'd scored fifty a game against these defenses, like I scored fifty a game against our defenses. And then the guys, it's amazing the guys who played in the eighties, Zeke and I love Isaiah and those guys they can't it's the greatest era ever. And then Chuck who played in the nineties, Charles Barkley. It's like, oh, my god, who are the greatest players? Well, they just happened to be Patrick Ewing and Reggie Miller and David Robinson and me and oh the guys team, the guys you played against. And how Draymond's like, just so you know that that Jazz team that had in ninety seven had the league MVP, they won sixty some games, all that stuff, We'd have beaten them by forty points. That's how trash your era of basketball was. And so it's just that's not new, buddy, that's not revolutionary. You're saying my hero was the best is something literally every retired player does. Draymond's just getting ahead of the curve was the best. But don't hey, guys, why argue about something arbitrary? And it's silly? Now the best I did reply to Draymond. We don't even show my tweet. The best tweet is Durance Durant had Durant.
Speaker 4: Is but the I don't know what the outcome would be.
Speaker 3: This is so good from Durant. Because Steve Kerr played for the Bulls and he obviously coached the war coach to the Warriors. I can't tell you what the results would be, but I do know that Steve Kerr would have demanded that we put Steve Kerr in as many pick and rolls as possible. That's like legitimate comedy.
Speaker 4: No, that's really funny.
Speaker 3: That is super funny. And Durant sent that at like seven am. Durant woke up and just fired up Twitter and that was a great tweet by Kevin Durant. Okay, we have ninety seconds the final two segments topics. I don't think we're gonna be able to do it in ninety seconds. Well, let's see how fast we can do it. What's next?
Speaker 4: Get to some Cardinal football. Yeah, Kyler Murray signed a massive five year extension. The Cardinals are clearly all in on Murray and Kingsbury. Now, yeah, would you have done it? And do you think that this will work?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't have done it, and I don't think it'll work. Listen, I I had a somebody tried. They tried to wiggans me with my old Kyler Murray take. Because when Kyler Murray was coming into the league, he also was going to be a top pick in baseball, and I was asked what he should do, and I said, I if I I think he should play baseball, I was like, I think he's too small to be Well, he would have been he he already he had been drafted to major League baseball, he had millions of dollars already guaranteed major League baseball. It's a great baseball player, and he saw him out playing both potentially. And my point was, I think he's too small. And there's somebody, some idiot tweeted some old as some guy with a verified check mark who's like in sports media, but we have no beef, Like just found this tweet and then less like he clearly tried to make it go viralgin But luckily for me, the guy has no following whatsoever. People didn't see it, but I saw it, and I think it was like, oh, look at Nick. He's anity he said he should play baseball, and now he's got this big contract. And I get that to a degree, but I don't think my take's wrong now money wise, obviously this has worked out great for him. But I have no evidence that Kyler Murray can get through a full season in the NFL. Now he's played a full season, played a couple full seasons, he has just gotten demonstrably markedly worse after Thanksgiving every single year, and I think it's because he gets beat down. He is the smallest full time starting quarterback we've ever seen, and we're yet to see evidence that he can that at the end of the year, when it's most important, they can be at his best. It's one playoff game. In that playoff game, he was horrifying. He had one hundred and thirty five yards passing, he didn't run the ball, and all of your two picks no touchdowns. He had a forty passer rated. So would I make him the second highest paid quarterback in the league. I wouldn't do. I trust the coach, I don't. And so everyone's like, Oh, you have to do it, No, you don't. He has two years left on a ZEO. Plus it's the NFL, not the NBA, and franchise stag him twice, you were gonna be able to get look after look after look at him. If you're ranking quarterbacks, where's Kyler eleventh? Twelve? Might say, Nick, that's harsh. I'm gonna leave somebody out do off the top of my head, but in no order. If we were to rank quarterbacks, you have Mahomes, Alan, Herbert Burrow, Brady Stafford, Rogers, Lamar. That's eight already that are no doubters better than him. And then you're in the you're in the dak What do you do with Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson group some would you know? And Kyler's somewhere in there, and you have Matt Ryan.
Speaker 4: What did is see? What did they do last year at the Cardinals?
Speaker 3: They they started off amazing, fell apart at the end of the year, he missed some games because he got hurt, came back, they were mediocre at the end of the year, and then they got their ass wax in the playoffs. And so I just I don't know, I'm skeptical of it. I think they did a little prematurely. All right, what's less?
Speaker 4: Live Golf wants to Live Live.
Speaker 3: You got right.
Speaker 4: Live Golf wants to hire Charles Barkley as a broadcaster. Yeah, he's apparently seriously considering it. Says that everybody in sports is taking blood money. At some point. If Live made you an offer, would you take it? All right?
Speaker 3: I don't want to spend a lot of time on this and don't put this on social This is just for our friends that actually watch and listen to the podcast. I thought about this exact take while I was on vacation, because you know, whenever you're on vacation, you're like, I should just live on vacation, like wherever you're at, Like it's just buy a house to you.
Speaker 6: In that mindset, yeah, I was like, hm, I do love golf, and I don't think they're gonna get Charles.
Speaker 4: And I was thinking.
Speaker 3: I was like, if I had my agent call them, what's the amount of money? And the fact that I was thinking about what's the amount of money means yeah, I think I would take it. There's an amount of money where yes, I would do it, And people say, on Nick, you're shameless. I'm not gonna listen. There are people that own sports media companies who I disagree with on many things. Now I understand that is different than the Saudi government, but I've given my take on how you know, the ethical capitalist maybe doesn't exist, or if it does exist, it's not a lot in life. I'm currently living where every dollar I make and every dollar I spend I follow the tree of where it goes and who gets it. And I understand there are certain black and white things, which is the Saudi government has committed atrocities and some would argue sponsored terrorism and done things that make them a total no go.
Speaker 4: It's so rare to me that that that this is funded by the Saudi government.
Speaker 3: So it's it's called sports washing. It's because they want to kind of put a shiny coat of paint on their image. So it's the There are different governments that own major soccer teams in Europe, so PSG, I'm not sure who it is, but it is owned by uh Middle Eastern government. The government the country essentially owns that club. So it's one of the reasons things spend all this money. So we don't need to get into that. The point is short answer is can't okay this. You can clip but only these three seconds, so I don't think we'll do well on social If the question is is there a price to pay for Nick wrights integrity? The answer is probably yes, but it's a hell of a lot more than it was when I was doing local radio. Actually, actually, don't clip that.
Speaker 4: That's just for us.
Speaker 3: The viewers will be right back. All right, welcome back. In final segment, What's right, Nick Right? It's her first show back after a week off. I was actually out of town for two weeks. I spent a week in Los Angeles and then a week in Hawaii. Demand was not.
Speaker 4: With us, two weeks in New York.
Speaker 3: Spent two weeks in New York, a week a week at you know, but some time at this apartment, of some time at this house because nobody was here. But I don't blame you for it. His girlfriends in town and he had to work, and you get to come on this family vacation such as life. He did have a birthday.
Speaker 5: It's fine.
Speaker 3: We're gonna talk about the vacation for a moment and then we rants about something. Uh So, on the vacation, I did some things that I think the audience will enjoy. This is This part is gonna be a bit listen for audio listeners. There's a good reason to watch on YouTube. The beginning of this is gonna be a visual segment that I will try to explain, and then the end's gonna culminate with a great rant that'll work for everyone. I jumped off a cliff at the southernmost point of the United States. I am not into doing things like this, So that's me very uncoordinatedly jumping off a cliff. Now, the reason I look uncoordinated in that clip is you can argue because I'm not coordinated. I don't think that's the accurate point. It's because I was terrified because I think there is something worse than death, and I think it's paralysis. And as soon as I jumped off that cliff, all I could think of was like my spine compressing, hitting the rocks beneath. But we were literally at the southernmost part of the United States. I felt like I needed to do it. So that's a video of me jumping off a cliff from Afar. Go ahead.
Speaker 4: I just think the way that your feet are flailing is just the probably the funniest thing I've seen in a week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I was like the coyote who's like ran off the cliff and trying to yeah, to chase the bird the road runner exactly. Yeah, I I really I didn't. As soon as I did it, I regretted it.
Speaker 4: And that was a long way Honestly, if I would have went there with you guys on that vacation. I would have front flipped off of it.
Speaker 3: I would not have. I would have I would have.
Speaker 4: I would have obviously done a running start, not just the fun.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you didn't. I wouldn't allowed. The other thing that happened is I was attacked by cephalopod. We have a still shot of that. There's an octopus stuck in my head. So octopus or octopi are aliens, Pablo Tory. This is his bit, but he's correct on it. They're the most amazing creatures in the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They can change colors, they can contract almost any size. And this thing they.
Speaker 4: Throw the legs. Yeah, there looks like that one had a leg. Miss that one had a leg. Miss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was going to regrow it. They I didn't know they shoot ink, but they do shoot ink. I knew. I thought that was a squid thing, but it's not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they get away from pray, Yeah, smoke screen and basis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're unbelievable animals. So that was Those are the highlights on vacation. The other highlight is started golfing for the first time in twenty years.
Speaker 6: You haven't golfedfa I mean no, I always I always rent golf carts and trive on the course because.
Speaker 3: I love it, but I haven't actually golfed in twenty years. I was like, you know what, I'm going to try to do it. And I did it once and then I did it three straight days. Oh I am back. I him back with.
Speaker 4: This three days in Hawaii. Yeah, okay, So what was everybody else doing while this is going on?
Speaker 3: Not my problems now, my Uh Deanna came with me once, Diora came with me once, and uh, they were shopping. They were doing Listen, here's the deal. Oh, this is from the golf course. Those are goats. That is Yeah, I don't know if this is It was like a family of like sixty goats.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 4: What are the little golf farm?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It was unbelievable. It was beautiful. But here's the reason why I felt like I had the license to take, you know, a couple hours each day golfing. Middle of the trip, your mom says, like, where is the shopping on this island? We were on the Big Island. That's the one with the giant volcano. A lot of the best like nature stuff. I'm like, that's in Honolulu. She was like, well, are we going to Honolulu? Like, well, you gotta, we gotta fly there. She was like, well the whole apt. I was like, well, I've already rented this. I mean, we're sitting at a really nice place. I already paid for the eight days. She's like, they got hotels in Honolulu. So we packed up, flew to Honolulu so she could shop, stayed overnight, she shopped some more, shopped some more, and flew back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that definitely justifies a little bit.
Speaker 3: Of golf, a little bit of golf demons. We came back from this trip with eight checked bags. Geez, eight check bags.
Speaker 4: Than you guys.
Speaker 3: I don't know how many more. I know that I rented a convertible for Hawaii, and on the way we couldn't fit all the bags. We found a way to do it all the way there, and then we realized we had left bags at the airport. It isn't listen. It was a great trip had by all. Here was the only thing that soured it. And as bad luck would have it. I someone told me, one of our producers told me, because I gave him a little sneak preview this rant that some one of the mccordy twins on Good Morning Football might have actually done a rant similar to what I'm about to do, So I'm not stealing from him. There's my own personal inspiration, and I think a lot of people have felt it. But I think he got it out an hour earlier before me, so credit to him. But when we were flying up Honolulu were back, they did an announcement on.
Speaker 4: The speaker, it's about to be about masks.
Speaker 3: No, it's not about masks. An now a speaker, they said, hey, we have a customer, what do you call it, someone who's on a flight I don't even know what's passenger, thank you, who has a very tight connection. If everyone wouldn't mind staying in their seat and letting him go to the front of the plane, he has to run to his connection. I think that is totally reasonable, and I think we as a society should all agree that if that is the case, it's on our system, and you're not gonna lie about it. Tell the flight attendant because nobody likes missing a connecting flight. He can go off a whole vacation and if you're like me, it's like, well, I'm just going to bagage claim or whatever.
Speaker 5: Going on.
Speaker 3: Of course, you can go ahead, tell the flight attendants and go that is, and I think we all should give them the leeway to do that. That's one way to handle it. Another way was the flight back from LA to New York last night. As soon as the seat belt light goes off, this dude runs as far up the plane as he can just to stand in love, just to wait. And he had no kid. I saw him stand in baggage claim with all of us. He had nowhere to be, and he does the whole Let me rush to the front of the plane for no reason. You can't get any First of all, the doors to close. Second of all, we're all now, we're all crowded. Third of all, what what are you trying to avoid here?
Speaker 4: You have to wait for baggag's claim. At the end of the day, you got it.
Speaker 3: You're not trying to make any flight. Those people, to me, honest to god, there needs to be a three strike policy and then no flylence, no, no, no. If you're one of the people it is just so convinced your time is so much more valuable than everybody else's that you need you can't wait. There is a pot, there's a process of how you get off the plane. You know, all the process works row by row and the whole Let me rush up ahead.
Speaker 4: What I'm gonna play a devil's advocation.
Speaker 3: There is no advocate. Okay, go ahead, let me hear.
Speaker 4: It, because in reality, I have thought about doing that before, I've never done it, and I don't even know this is something that happened often. Yeah, but like, whose time is he really wasting if he does that? If he runs up in front and he's now one more person to then get all off the plane?
Speaker 3: Yeah, who is he?
Speaker 4: Is he really causing a hold of for anybody? Because it seems like everybody's taking their freaking time.
Speaker 3: Okay, But so here's the thing that so this is this interesting thing. So let's say he was supposed to get off the plane thirtieth and now he's getting off the plane fifth. So he's jumping twenty five people. He is only delaying those people, say and eat an extra ten seconds per person, and he's saving himself by that same math, two hundred and fifty seconds. But how arrogant and self absorbed of a person do you have to be to think your time is that much more valuable than twenty five people's small amounts of time. That's first of all. Second of all, it's not so much about the time as it is it is now uncomfortable because the equilibrity of space between the aisle and the people in the seats who have yet to get off, it's all askew, it's all thrown off, and it is just so. It is. It is such a sign that you are a bad person. No, it's a sign that is a great character.
Speaker 5: I definitely see it.
Speaker 4: I'm glad I've never.
Speaker 3: Done it in the same category as somebody who is weight stat Yeah, for no reason. It's like, oh no, no, that's just a sign you're a bad person. That's a sign that you are. And again, if you have a flight to catch, I totally get it and tell people and I will move out of your way. But I am not above talking trash to people like this. Now. This fella was a larger fella, and by that I don't mean overweight. I mean like it looked like you put some time, maybe a little more than I have. So I was like, it's one in the morning. We just did that for a cross country flight. Is not the is not the hill. I'm gonna die on. But I'm not above saying to these people, you got somewhere important to go, like what are we doing? And now I'm gonna say something semi elitist. It used to really bother me. It bothers me clearly a lot now on LA to New York flight, you know what, it would really bother me. But I was flying like back from Chicago to Kansas City, and I know there's no connecting flights. And by the way, I'm from Kansas City. We all just landed in Kansas None of us are doing anything that important. We all got plenty of time, Like let's all, let's let's all stop acting like we got we got, you know, million dollar deals. To me, if we did, wouldn't be flying into Kansas City. But you gotta run away to the front of the plane. We'll be back on Thursday.