Speaker 1: What's up everybody? This is Trista.
Speaker 2: Please subscribe to this league, tap the bell, comment below and give us a light. How do you get people to watch basketball in August? It is a tough sell. Not gonna lie. I mean people are burnt out. One, I would say gambling. Gambling on summer League is now huge comparatively to how it was in the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: And two, what's happening right now?
Speaker 2: Get the players on the court as soon as they step off the stage with Adam Silver, essentially like we have momentum. I don't even remember. You don't allow people to forget who Kai Jones is. Basically like, don't allow people to enjoy their summer. Don't get them excited in for the NBA and Halloween. And I think that's what's happening. That's the blessing of COVID. COVID is allowing us to have no break between the NBA Draft and the Summer League. We went from spending digging in the weeds. I was looking at YouTube. You are two comparables talking about prospects. We were like finding their upside, their ceilings, what their floor is, what's the fit on the potential teams and then boom, all of a sudden, you're watching Cam Thomas hit game winners.
Speaker 3: At thirty six, last nek thirty six.
Speaker 2: Last beautiful, or in the case of Evan Mobley, like not bawling out. And so I love to me the fact that we have condensed the draft to the Summer League so that we are all still because I'm more excited about the Summer League than ever before, and I.
Speaker 1: Think a lot of people are.
Speaker 3: I love it. I've always loved the Summer League just because I just I love the draft so much. The NBA Draft's always one of my favorite days of the year. There's just so much can change on that day. And then yeah, and then like not even a week later, we get to go in and watch these guys actually play and sometimes play with like second year player that's promising is so yeah, No, the Summer league's awesome or.
Speaker 2: NBA caliber talent like Kenneth f Reid or Michael Beasley.
Speaker 1: You see.
Speaker 2: So Also, the thing that people don't really realize unless you're deep in the Summer league weeds are some of the wild ass Summer league rules. First of all, love the ten minute quarters like FIBA teams are still putting up one hundred and twenty points. Second teams are in the penalty the best after the tenth foul. You're not in the penalty until the tenth team foul or the second in the last.
Speaker 1: Two minutes, so no more free throws, like guys are just balling out.
Speaker 3: Ben Simmons would like that rule.
Speaker 1: Ben Simmons would love that rule.
Speaker 2: First OT is uh and the overtime rules are wild. The first OT is two minutes making in an all out sprint, and then the second OT is sudden death, which I think needs to just be implemented.
Speaker 3: It'd be wild.
Speaker 1: But no, I would love that.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine like a double OT in the finals and it's like like the NFL first first bucket wins.
Speaker 3: If that was it, then every team would have like a seven foot eight guy that just that he's like the thirteenth guy.
Speaker 1: Isn't it like penalty kicks though?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 1: Isn't that like penalty kicks?
Speaker 3: Though not quite?
Speaker 1: But or or one on like.
Speaker 2: My favorite thing would be one on one, like literally a game of one on one bucket aut like you get five five tries, just like penalty kicks on both sides.
Speaker 1: Ball on one side of the court, ball on the other side of the court.
Speaker 2: You get your best ISO guy, get your best defender.
Speaker 1: Love that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no, everyone would just have a tip off specialist, the best. The best rule, however, to me, is the funniest rule. Ten fouls like that to foul out. Also, Ben Simmons would love that too. That's wild.
Speaker 1: You have to do work to foul out of a Summer league game.
Speaker 2: Fouling out of a Summer League game pretty much assures that you are a bust.
Speaker 1: Let's go in, let's.
Speaker 2: Go into all of the guys in recent memory that a foul down the Summer League two thousand and six number one overall.
Speaker 1: Pick Andrew Bargnani.
Speaker 2: First person ever to foul out of a Summer League game.
Speaker 1: Bust two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: Greg Oden fouled out of his Summer League and Summer League debut.
Speaker 1: Bust.
Speaker 2: Jan Vesley did it in twenty ten. Bust for him two thousand and sixteen.
Speaker 1: Great, I mean like just an underrated comment by you. Two and sixty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Diamond Stone and Don Maker. Don Maker hit double digits and fouled out as well. Bust and Marquise Chris averaged at one point eight and a half fouls per game. I don't know why that's so funny to be what it is, eight and a half fouls a game in the Summer League. If that's not one of the most representative lists of busts in the last twenty years, I don't know what is. Like, give me ten bus off the top your list. One of those guys is on that list, for sure, mart Nanny, for sure. Ten fucking fouls, Jesus. And you can't even like keep under that.
Speaker 1: They're literally just trying.
Speaker 2: To get you as many minutes in the game as possible, and you can't.
Speaker 1: You just keep hacking. You don't even know, Like, listen, you got nine fouls. Maybe want to chill?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just get caught up in it.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it is great. I remember Chris falling out all those games. That was funny.
Speaker 2: And I love the announcers like Marquise Chris averaging eight and a half fouls.
Speaker 1: Per game you only get six normally. It's crazy, tremendous.
Speaker 2: I would like it if they just called their own foul like that would be fun. Like I just want like straight up street.
Speaker 1: Ball out there in the indoor court.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's tremendous, tremendous. NBA Summer League ends Tuesday with the late night finals between Boston and Sacramento. What did I say about these dogshit teams going far into the into the Summer League play in the Summer League championship.
Speaker 1: Literally, no one thinks either of these teams are gonna do shit.
Speaker 3: No, it means nothing, nothing.
Speaker 2: I mean, they made Peyton Pritchard leave Summer League because he was scoring too many points so that he could go to a pro am where he put up ninety two points. Boston had five roster guys playing Nessmith Langford, and I think Sacramento may have run out their entire team. They may have to run out their entire team just to even get a little bit of shine, Like this is the Sacramento Kings, like one shining moment, This is the this is the peak for them. Both teams undefeated and again another little funny Summer League rule, It's not about what your record.
Speaker 1: Is, it's the margin of victory and your record.
Speaker 2: So New Orleans yesterday was gonna have to win by eleven in order to make it to the championship game, and they only won by one, so they don't get to go.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's the deal.
Speaker 2: No rest for the weir And now that the Summer League is over, we enter the NBA offseason, which lasts until September twenty eighth, and that is the official start date of training camp. Six weeks of no basketball. That's it, literally only six weeks. To me, that's the best case scenario for an NBA fan.