Speaker 1: The volume, blending Vice's signature dynamic storytelling with the high octane world of sports. Vice Sports brings an exciting and diverse range of programming that goes beyond the game. From action pack live events to gripping behind the scenes documentaries, to hard hitting investigative pieces and in depth profiles of athletes, coaches, teams. Vice Sports captures the raw energy, drama, and passion that makes sports truly unforgettable. Catch live events and other exclusive sports programs only on Vice Tv. Go to vicetv dot com to find your cable channel.
Speaker 2: The NBA eighty two game grind is done. Now the real fun begins. The NBA Playoffs are here and it's time for all the high stakes drama, clutch moments, and jaw dropping plays.
Speaker 3: I can't wait.
Speaker 2: If you're looking to make the playoffs even more exciting, DraftKings Sportsbook has you covered as an official sports betting partner of the NBA from the playing games all the way through to the finals. Now's the time to back your favorite players and teams as they chase glory. All season long. DraftKings has been the go to spot for NBA player props, and that does not stop now. Want to make your playoff experience even more intense, try placing a bet on your favorite player's performance. Well they drop thirty points, forty or more, it's your call. Ready to place your first bet? Download the DraftKings sports Book Gap. Now lock in your bets. Let's make this playoff run unforgettable. Here's something special for first timers. New DraftKings customers. Bet five dollars to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets. Instantly make it a playoff run to remember. With DraftKings, download the DraftKings Sportsbook Gap and use code hoops.
Speaker 3: That's h oops.
Speaker 2: That's code hoops for new customers to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings.
Speaker 3: The Crown is yours.
Speaker 2: Gambling problem called Way one hundred gambler In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and why, or text hope and Why to four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help us available for problem gambling Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG. Do please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort in Kansas twenty one plus age and eligibility varies by jurisdiction Voyd and Ontario. New customers only bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources, see dkang dot co slash audio.
Speaker 3: All right, weldo to hoops tonight, you're at the volume.
Speaker 2: Happy Thursday, everybody, Oh of allth you guys are having a great week. Just a quick show tonight. We were blessed with just one game and it was a game that was somewhat predictably a blowout as the Minnesota Timberwolves got a game back on the Golden State Warriors. We are now one one heading into the Bay. So we're gonna spend just a few minutes on that game. Then we're gonna have our Player of the Week section with Microsoft. Then at the tail end of the show, Jackson and n word textan earlier today and I got this crazy hair brained idea for a trade. So we're just gonna purely for fun, purely in fantasy land of the NBA, We're going to discuss an idea of a trade involving the Boston Celtics for this summer as a little teasers.
Speaker 3: You guys owe the job before we get started.
Speaker 2: Subscribe to the Hoops Tonight YouTube channels you don't miss any more of our videos. Follow me on Twitter at underscore JSNLT so you guys don't misshow announcements. Don't forget about a podcast feed where you get your podcast on O Hoops Tonight. It's also super helpful if you leave a rating and a review on that front. Don't forget about our new social media feeds on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook where Jackson's doing some great work, and then keep dropping mail back questions in those YouTube comments. Also, no playback tonight. We're gonna take advantage of the earth. This is our twentieth consecutive live show at night, so I'm going to take advantage of this opportunity to spend a little bit of extra time with my wife tonight. But we do usually go on playback after these live shows. Make sure you guys head over to playback dot tv slash Hoops tonight for our playback after show tomorrow night. But again, no after show tonight. We'll get back into that tomorrow. So let's talk some basketball and nice bounce back. When for the Minnesota Timberwolves. I just thought from the start they were much sharper staying attentive to Golden State's ball and player movement. The dead giveaways they played him into. So many of these, like late clock ISOs where you know, Jackson and I were joking earlier because Jimmy Butler just seemed to he took a few of them early in the game, but there were several examples where he was kind of just passing out of those situations, and it was you could tell Jimmy kind of was sensing the moment that it was a game that might be out of reach, and so it was almost like he was kind of holding something in reserve. Stan Byan Gundy was obviously a little bit critical of him about that, but at the same time, you could feel it. You could feel this game as being somewhat of a landslide for Minnesota from the opening tip as they go up thirteen. Oh, but the dead giveaway, so many of these light ISOs, whether it's Moses Moody or it's Brandon Pajemski, or it's Buddy Healed, or whoever it might be, with three seconds on the shot clock with an elite defender in their face having to just throw something up. We had shot clock violations, we had shots that didn't even come close to the rim. The Timberwolves forced a bunch of turnovers and kept getting out in transition off of them for easy ones. It was just a much better defensive performance from Minnesota. We'll talk a little bit more about that in a minute, because that's going to be an interesting trend going through the rest of the series. And then on offense, Ant is still struggling a bit with just figuring out how to attack this defense. First of all, glad to see him come back in the second half. The way he was limping, I was seriously concerned that that might have been some kind of like severe high ankle spraying with the way that Trace Jackson Davis landed on top of him. But to have him come back in the second half obviously a good sign. You don't want to see anybody get hurt, especially in a way that could have an impact in their ability to even be available to their team. But he's been sped up a little bit by Golden State's ball pressure, and he's definitely going to have to get that a little more under control as the series progresses into Golden State. It's a very different kind of series than the Lakers series, where he was given more space, there wasn't pressure, and he could kind of like be comfortable as he was processing the defense. The idea the old game plan with Golden State is if they can pressure Ant, he'll rush into drives. And if he rushes into drives, he won't process the floor quick enough to be able to make the right reads when he gets downhill, and so it's gonna be key for Ant to solve that problem over the course of the series. But everyone else on Minnesota took a good step forward tonight. A bunch of their shooters started to get into rhythm. Nas Red Nazrie, Dante de Vincenzo, Nikile, Alexander Walker, Mike Conley, and Anthony Edwards all hit multiple threes in this game, which is obviously a good sign, a good sign after the horrendous shooting that they put forth in Game five against the Lakers. In Game one of this series, we saw a little bit of Jada McDaniels getting back to some of that weak side scoring that he did in the first round. Took a little bit of an audacious step back three over Draymond Green in the left corner that I thought was kind of funny.
Speaker 3: But other than that, a.
Speaker 2: Bunch of these like good, you know, closeout attacks where he's euroing through a help defender, spinning off of a guy who's closing out on him, and just hitting those little short floaters and jump shots that are shots that we know that he can hit. And then I thought Julius just had a really nice bounce back game. I thought he was really bad in Game one and really started to get his feel out of the post, just taking simple kickout reads that are there as Golden State was pinching down on him, doing some scoring in the middle of the floor. Just a nice step forward for the Wolves offense, which is gonna be the problem, like we as we move forward in this series, the job is all mental for Minnesota. We're heading to Golden State, and Minnesota fans, if you haven't had a chance to watch much of Golden State this year, they just have this level they can get to at home, even without step on the defensive end of the floor and getting out in transition and feeding off of the energy of that crowd. They're gonna be a tough out in the same way that I kind of kind of like felt like tonight was going to be a blowout. I think both Game three and Game four are going to be dog fights, and those the job from Minnesota on both ends of the floor is going to be simple. On the offensive end of the floor, like we talked about, Anthony Edwards not getting rushed, but him and Julius together having to process that defense when it's more engaged, when it's flying around, feeding off the energy of that crowd, not turning the ball over, not settling for bad threes. Ants had an issue knifing through the defense and taking high degree of difficulty layups in traffic that he's missing at a high clip. But the mental processing piece is going to be key for them on offense as they go on the road and then on the defensive end again, like we talked about, it was a good step forward for them tonight, but that's same attentiveness to all the ball in player movement. This is a team that if you can play them into those lake clock ISOs, cause again it's not like Golden States planning to take a lake clock ISO. They're running their motion offense to try to get you to make a mistake and if you make a mistake leaving a cutter open or a shooter open, they're going to take that opportunity, right, But if you can take away those opportunities in the motion, all of a sudden, it's like Jimmy Butler's really the only guy other than maybe Jonathan Kmingo when he's in rhythm, which we'll talk about. He did seem to build a little bit of rhythm tonight, But Jimmy Butler's really the only player that can create his own shot against an elite defender in that sort of situation, and at this phase in his career, he's not as good at it as he used to be. Right, So, like, if you can be attentive and shut down the motion, you can play them into late clock. ISO's you got a great chance to win Game three in Game four on the road, But if you lose sight of that and you let Golden State feed on the energy of their crowd and a couple role players get confident, they will hit open shots. As you guys know, I mean, that's what happened in game one after Steph went down. Every time Minnesota made a mistake, they knocked the shot down and it just wasn't anything that they were able to regain control of. You got to play these guys into those misses, and so it's they have the physical tools necessary to do the job, but they've got to have the mental focus and discipline, attention to detail to get it done on the road. And I do think they need to win both of those games. I think if they end up in a scenario where Golden State takes this thing to two back to Minnesota in Game five, even if you win, I think Steph Curry's going to come back in that game on the eighteenth, And as we saw in Game one, I think this is a tough matchup for Minnesota when Steph is healthy. Now whether or not he'll be healthy enough to even be a factor remains to be seen, but I think Minnesota needs to be going to the Bay with the goal of trying to win both of those games. Now on the Golden State front, we talked about this last night in playback. We talked about it two nights ago after Game one, but we viewed this game too as basically a game that Minnesota was going to win and was going to win by a lot. It's just the combination of a bunch of factors. We talked about this last night with Oklahoma City versus Denver. On the one hand, your road team is a veteran team that already stole home court advantage, So there's such a natural pullback in terms of effort, focus, and energy because you know you're going home with home court advantage. We just saw that with Denver last night with Oka See. Also, just like Oka See, Minnesota is a damn good basketball team, a damn good basketball team led by really good players, so like they got the talent to have a bounce back the game. It's also an absolute must win. Unlike the Boston series, Boston is arguably more comfortable on the road than they are at home. Unlike the Boston series, Minnesota could not afford to go down Oh too. It was like an absolute must win type of game for a great team against a veteran team that had already taken home court. There was a natural pullback that was gonna happen. And so one of the things we talked a lot about over the course of the last two days was how can the Warriors get some sort of positive progress out of this type of game that's going to be so difficult to win, and the key was a couple things we talked about giving Jonathan kaminga long leash. Now we discussed it more within the context of him being in the starting lineup. Wasn't in the starting lineup tonight, but he did get twenty six minutes and got plenty of opportunity to create his own offense, and he scored eighteen points on eleven shots. We'll zoom in on that in just a minute. But the second piece of it was digging way deep in the rotation and giving a ton of guys opportunity. Right, Steve Kerr ends up playing let me count.
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 2: Ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen different players tonight. So Steve Kerk gave everyone a chance just to see, Like, Steve's got to rebuild a basketball team on the fly here, right, Like what works with Steph is different than what's going to work without Steph. And so Steve Kerr, in a lot of ways, has to come up with a completely different way to win basketball games from scratch here on the fly. And so he used Game two as an opportunity to test a lot of things out. A simple thing after the thirteen to zero run Quentin Post gets the hook goes to Tray Jackson Davis. Tray Jackson Davis was impactful in this game. His athleticism pop fifteen points and six rebounds was really providing some of that rim pressure at a ball screen action, just rolling hard to the rim and getting vertical. As much as Quinton Posts is a very good player, we've joked on the show, he can't jump over a a phone book. He's not exactly the most athletic dude in the world, Tray Jackson Davis brings some of that vertical pop. I thought that that was a kind of like a useful little bit of information that came out of this game. And then the second piece of it was Jonathan Kaminga had a little bit of success in face up situations and ISOs got comfortable as a catch and shoot player. Hitting another corner three. The one he missed in the fourth quarter two I thought was pretty close. He looked like he was in good rhythm there. Diggy hit his first eight shots in this game. He just started to build some of that rhythm. Why that matters is because in those games in Golden State, I think in order to win one of them or let's put it this way, you give yourself a good chance to win one of them if in one of those two games, Jonathan Kaminga had as a twenty twenty two point night, and I think that he was in such a funk coming into this that tonight was the perfect opportunity to just give him a long leash and just see what he can put together in terms of rhythm building towards Game three and Game four. Again, like I said, with Minnesota on the Golden State front, the goal needs to be like obviously the goals to win both games, but if you can get one game in Golden State and you can send it back to Minnesota too too, you guarantee that you're playing on the eighteenth, And if you're playing on the eighteenth, I think there's a decent chance that Steph Curry comes back and plays and gives you a chance to win the series. If you win both, obviously you're in fantastic position. But if you can win one of those games, you give Steph Curry the chance to return in twelve days. All right, Welcome to course correction brought to you by Microsoft. Just like star players and teams navigating performance hurtles, business decision makers today are under immense pressure to get things right. They must rise to the occasion, turning challenges into opportunities. Microsoft empowers these visionaries with AI solutions, simple fight cloud and data management and trustworthy responsible AI. And when you're in the NBA, you have your own hurdles to face. In this segment, we will highlight the player every week that has risen to the occasion when his team needed him. Whatever challenge you're facing, Microsoft empowers you with the expertise to say, bring it on. This week's Player of the Week is Nikola Jokic of the Denver Nuggets. On Monday night, we saw the best playoff performance that I've seen since Steph Curry scored forty three points on the Boston Celtics in the twenty twenty two Finals in Game one against the Thunder, just two nights after he led his team to a victory in Game seven against the Clippers on the road against one of the best statistical performing defenses in the history of the NBA, against the team that had already won seventy two games in this season sixty eight in the regular season, in the four to zh sweep in the first round, he goes for forty two points, twenty two rebounds, six assists, a steal in two bl in the fourth quarter, he walked the thunder down, just dominating in the middle of the flour. He had eighteen points just in that fourth quarter, keeping the Nuggets in striking distance so that they could have a chance to win the game.
Speaker 3: Late.
Speaker 2: Hit several big shots late, a hook shot over Alex Crusoe, a driving foul that got to the line, a huge three that cut the lead to one over Isaiah Hartenstein using like kind of a jab step sequence, ultimately ending the game with an Aaron Gordon game winning three in transition off the left wing to steal game one and get home court advantage for the Denver Nuggets. One of my favorite things about basketball is the ability of a star player to transcend surrounding circumstances. Yes, it's a team sport. Basketball is beautiful when it's flowing, but in the most intense moments, defenses, especially defenses as good as Okasee, can reach a level where that flow is basically impossible, and you need a singular force of nature who can transcend that environment because he has a superpower. These are the moments when you see a superstar, dig deep and reach that special level that lead to some of my favorite moments in NBA history. So shout out to NICOLEA. Jokis for giving us another one of those. They're rare and I always really appreciate them when they come around. That's it for this week's course correction. Remember Microsoft's AI solutions empower you to take bold steps and make informed decisions, sparking new ideas to help drive your business forward. Microsoft is your trusted partner. You can navigate your journey with confidence, finding innovation, innovative solutions, and reaching new possibilities. Visit Microsoft dot com slash challengers to learn more. All right, so here's the deal. I'm gonna bring Jackson on stage because he's our resident Celtics fan as well in addition to being very important to the process of this show. But Jackson and I were texting earlier today and I want to This is a disclaimer upfront. Okay, this trade's not going to happen. It's unlikely for a variety of reasons, but I want to talk about it because it's fun. We have some time, and after a boring game like that, it's nice to have a little just to get into fantasy land a little bit.
Speaker 3: So here's the deal.
Speaker 2: I pitched the idea to Jackson today. If your GM of the Celtics, or excuse me, if you're a GM of the Bucks. Actually no, we'll call it the Celtics. Your GM of the Celtics. Bucks call you and they offer Giannis for Jason Tatum. Do you say yes or no? Now before I want to make the case. I'm going to make the case again. Disclaimer, this is just for fun and primarily meant as a thought exercise. Okay, here's the case. It's being widely reported that the Celtics are going to start finding ways to cut payroll as soon as this summer. In this theoretical scenario, the Celtics have just again this is important context here this. I'm only pitching this in the event that the Celtics lose to the Knicks. So they lose to the Knicks. The reason why in this hypothetical scenario, Okay, so the Celtics have just lost the series as a minus eight hundred favorite, literally because their stars shit the bet. So the premise would be that the Celtics roster would lose a decent amount of talent as part of the cost cutting, and they would suddenly drop to a second tier contender because their stars aren't good enough to lift that roster, so they wouldn't be really good enough to compete anymore. Another way to reframe the situation is, this is a very short window of contention for the Celtics. Maybe next year, maybe the following year. Giannis is a much better basketball player than Jason Tatum and has developed into an excellent passer this phase in his career. You'd be surrounding him with a roster that fits his skill set super well. He's the kind of player who could capitalize on that short window to get you a second championship. Presumably he could still win even if they lost two of their core five. So let's say they lose Drew Holliday and krisops Porzingis. Those are the two guys that they look to shed salary. You still have Giannis, Derek White, Jalen Brown, Horford probably comes back on a minimum. You have Hawser Pritchard, Luke Cornett. You still have like a solid rotation around him. Then in two years, when Jannis is thirty two years old, if he loses the juice and the roster isn't good enough, you can still flip you honest to another team to restock your asset trope. Case for Milwaukee really simple. Tatum has literally four years and an option after this season, and he just turned twenty seven. You can rebuild around him, and you probably could get a couple draft picks out of Boston in the deal that you can flip to help improve your role player talent. So essentially, for Milwaukee, it's a bet on Tatum's future, and for Boston it's a bet on this current roster just needing better play from the star. So Jackson, in this hypothetical scenario, you're the GM of the Celtics, they offer Giannis for Tatum, what are you saying?
Speaker 4: It's a really galaxy brain idea. And I am trying to not forget about the connection to the city element after we just saw what Niko Harrison did shipping off Luka Doncic. However, I do think in this hypothetically, it would be a little bit different because of how sour it would feel to lose to the Knicks in this fashion.
Speaker 5: Right coming off for the Mavericks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you lost in the finals, but you got to the finals with Luka Doncich. It felt specifically kind of buziz you're and they were under if you're losing in four or five games to the Knicks in the series, that you were heavy, heavy, heavy favorites. People are I saw someone say on Twitter today, is this would be the kind of thing that results in people getting fired or people getting traded, right, And that's and I think that's totally a valid take. What are people expecting Jason Tatum to be traded?
Speaker 5: I don't think so. But if someone was like, we need.
Speaker 4: To fire Joe Mizzoula after this, I would not agree, but I would be I would understand the thought behind it, right, So I I do think if you lose this series, especially if it's in four or five games. I don't think it's before, but if it's in five games, it makes sense to make a little bit of a shakeup. It's hard to run that back after this way the series has looked, at least through two games, trading Tatum for Yannis though, that is a crazy idea, and I don't I don't hate it. Of all the if you're gonna offload one of your two stars, I don't want to in the if they're gonna shake things up this summer, which they're probably going to payroll. We're if they lose to the Knicks in a weird way, you're probably making some sort of significant trade. If if you're saying you're gonna trade one of a major shakeup, if you're expecting a major, major shakeup for the Celtics, like getting Giannis is the best case scenario for a major shakeup. So in that sense, I don't hate it, and I think you're actually absolutely right that it's even with the departure of whoever drew Howaday, Kristaps won or both of those guys for salary purposes, it's still a close to perfectly designed roster for around Yanni's much better than I would even argue the championship level the Championshi Bucks roster, Like he's never played with the player as good as Joan Brown. He's never played with the player even as close as good as Joe Brown, frankly.
Speaker 2: Or defenders that could shoot as well as the defenders can shoot right.
Speaker 5: Exactly, And you're really surrounding him with.
Speaker 4: A lot of shooting talent, a lot of versatility if you if you plug him into this roster.
Speaker 5: So it's not the I don't hate it, it would it would be the kind of it would.
Speaker 4: Be one of the few trades that could top the shock waves created by the Luca Doctors trade, you know what I mean, Like it's one. It would be one of the craziest trades. It would be up there with the the kd summer and the Kawhi summer.
Speaker 5: Is maybe even bigger than both of those. Man, maybe not bigger than Katie, but I think it's probably bigger than Kawhi of the Clippers summer.
Speaker 4: If you're ranking you know, early July moves, as there have been many, as there's been some some bombs over the course of the last you know, ten years, it's it's.
Speaker 5: Kind of breaking my brain a little bit.
Speaker 4: But of all the the ultimate ultimately my answer is if of all all the major shakeups that would you know, be pitched and be potentially required in a in a summer after you lose an ugly ugly, Ugly ugly series where Jayson Tatum is not good, it would be probably the best case scenario.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that you mentioned the the just the mood that would be surrounding the team, because that's the important part of this, like Tatum would in this hypothetical scenario at age twenty six and age twenty seven, which is typically the age where stars figure it out, would have a playoff run where he was very important in them winning the title, but two playoff runs where he operated well.
Speaker 3: Below that of a top tier superstar.
Speaker 2: And essentially, like when you have a payroll like what they had, it's almost like championship or bust in a lot of ways. And I almost look at it like the there's like a certain amount of urgency to capitalize on this window because like, let's take a look at like what the scenario would look like if Tatum did not get traded. So Tatum doesn't get traded, you you drop a couple of bodies. Let's call it porzingis, And like, let's call it porzingis in Holiday, just as an example, even if they just get rid of porzingis, okay, they just get rid of porzingis. Horford's a year older, Drew Hollidays a year older, Derek White's a year older. Are though Derek White, Tatum, and Brown are still firmly in their prime. So in this scenario, like you are a less talented version of this year's team that just got eliminated in the second round in embarrassing fashion. So in that scenario, like you look forward and it's like, actually, they're completely hamstrung other than draft picks. They have draft picks, but they don't have any like free agent flexibility at all. You're in this situation where you have to ask yourself, like Cleveland is going to get better as Evan Mobley gets better, and as Darius Garland gets better, and as Jared Allen gets better. You look at the East and it's like all the sudd the Pistons are looking a little bit frisky as a team that could be a problem in the East. The Pacers right now are playing at extremely high level. You have the thunder who are going to keep getting better. You have Wemby and Darren Fox and who knows what else they're going to do this summer. Houston could make a trade for Kevin Durant. Like the teams around you would be getting better while your team would be getting worse and we would have just seen them not be good enough. And so then you ask yourself, like, Okay, now Tatum's twenty eight to twenty nine years old, are you even close to good enough to win the title with your roster that you had. And that's where I think it gets fascinating. Essentially, what you're saying is like this roster is destined to some form of blow up anyway like Tatum as like like in this hypothetical where he's, you know, had these two kind of somewhat disappointing playoff runs, he.
Speaker 3: Would literally be.
Speaker 2: A player that you would look at as not like you would need to surround him with an enormous amount of talent for him to win, right. And so with that being the case, Giannis is the type of superstar talent that can lift up a roster that's just another great roster and make it into a championship worthy roster. And so I think it just kind of like makes some sense on that level. But again, I think I think the part, the part you mentioned about the human element is real, Like I just don't think Boston would do that to Tatum. But yeah, if he throws a couple of stinkers down.
Speaker 5: There, yeah, I mean, it could get real.
Speaker 4: The Discords is gonna get real ugly if they if he has a even if they lose in if they lose in five and he starts playing better, It's like, Okay, get.
Speaker 5: In the lab, you know, come back, come back better next summer.
Speaker 4: That's but if if he has well, if he doesn't have a great game the rest of the series, or even if he just has three mediocre games and they and they lose in five, if the discourse is gonna get quite ugly.
Speaker 5: The discords is getting quite ugly.
Speaker 4: I I was briefly checking out the I was like, okay, maybe there's a way to include Kristaps in a deal. So you're shedding some salary in the same trade. What can we you want obviously want to give up more salary and you're getting back, but is there anyone useful on the bucks you can get back? And guess what the answer is, No, that roster sucks. Their roster sucks. Most of their roster's on one year deals. It's like I was like, oh, aj Green's okay, Okay, he's two million dollars, Like maybe that's Aj Green to make a great making great Like I don't really want Kyle Kuzma brooks on on the last year of his deal. Bobby portois Uh, I think he actually know he could be traded, but like somebody portis is okay, I suppose you could take back Bobby.
Speaker 5: Ports, but it's pretty bleak in terms.
Speaker 4: Of the buck situation, which we knew that obviously, that's why they're going to blow it up this summer, but it's I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, well in a poor zingistrait too. In a theoretical cost cutting move, they would look to move him to a team with cap space so they didn't have to take salary back and uh so like but that's that's my point though, is like, if Boston's gonna be in a substantial cost cutting like position, you have to have a serious conversation with yourself about whether or not Tatum is going to be good enough.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's fair.
Speaker 4: I think the counter for and the rationalization for me as a Celtic span and the counter for most Healthics fans is the point you're making about the age of the two superstars. They are entering TAM's gonna be twenty seven next year, Jalenn Brown's gonna be twenty eight next year.
Speaker 5: They are entering.
Speaker 4: The theoretical, theoretically the best part of their basketball career, and like not, and they're not.
Speaker 5: Thirty or thirty one. Like they got.
Speaker 4: Theoretically, you're entering a four to five year prime window, as these stars seem to be keeping up that highly elite level at like thirty two thirty three these days, So you're entering a four to five year elite elite window where you got. Where the hope would be those guys continue to get better, even if it's marginally better. You're not expecting a giant leap at this point in need of their careers. But if they're gonna get a little bit better each of them over the summer, you're hoping that can make up for any of the the talent drop you're getting that you're gonna have to make reportedly in a cost cutting move this summer.
Speaker 2: The thing that would scare me with that is, yes, players do get better in that twenty seven to thirty two range, but they tend to get better at the expense of some athleticism. It's usually in that like twenty five twenty six range that you're moving really well. I mean, I already saw I saw video today of like young Tatum like he was.
Speaker 3: He's a lot less explosive than he used to be even back then.
Speaker 2: And is Tatum a good enough shot maker to do this at a lower level of athleticism, and that arguably has been the thing that he's never been able to figure out. And so like there's it happens a lot in Like I keep thinking about the comment that Matthew had on playback a couple like three four nights ago, where he just was like he basically was just saying Tatum streaky, and like he's like he's, yeah, yeah, he can be hot from three, but he can just as easily be cold. And so that's where it gets triggy. But I I and the point you're making is fair in the sense that, like if you just bet on Tatum and Brown progressing year over year, but is it enough to make up for a substantial and loss and roster talent. The last thing I'll say about it is Joannis is thirty, Like you can easily get three great years out of him and then pivot, you know. But uh, but yeah, it's a fascinating concept. And I, for the record, I'm still in the like gun to my head. If you asked me who's gonna win the Celtics Knicks series, I think I'd still I think I would too.
Speaker 3: I think I would too. It's this.
Speaker 4: We've seen a lot of ups and downs from this, you know era of the Jason Tatum, Joon Brown playoff.
Speaker 5: Era, and more often than not, someone said this.
Speaker 4: On playback, maybe it was Mike uh that more often than not, And it's true the regular season as well. They are they play well when they're backs against the wall. They respond when versus well. They do not respond to success well. They when they're when it seems like there might be a little bit overconfident, it crumbles quickly. But they have yet to lose three times in a row this season. They're gonna try to keep that streak alive. Tomorrow Tomorrow, right, No, Saturday, actually Saturday, actually.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, they gotta sit with that lost.
Speaker 4: So I do think that the series, like I was saying, if they lose in four or five, I think it's gonna go at least six. If I if I was betting, I would I would.
Speaker 5: Say it's at least six. So in that sense, anything can happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I uh, I would be shocked if they didn't win one in New York, and then I would be shocked if they didn't win Game five. But like, yeah, if New York wins it feels like they're gonna win in six, but yeah, I I it still feels very open ended for me. It's just the hardest thing is like they're right there. They're right there, even with the twenty point leads. It's like, you get a stop on Jylen Brunson, you win game one, you're a game two. Game Game one literally goes to overtime. So like, yeah, it's still it's still right there. I just have been I've been just fascinated with the concept. I've been fascinated with the concept because we haven't really seen anything like this in NBA history, not in a very long time, and so it's like I was trying to think, like I think this would probably be the worst playoff loss, like factoring in Superstar play, like since Lebron in twenty eleven. Probably, But it's it's a different it's a little bit of a different vibe because Lebron Lebron. No one was gonna bail on Lebron, because that one series kind of stands out as like a blip among like mostly playoff greatness, you know, but with Tatum, there are just so many of these kinds of examples, and then to have two in a row, right in the heart of his prime. I think it would be it would be weird, but we're gonna see what happens, and it is. It was just kind of a little fun thought exercise with a relatively boring night around the NBA. That's all we have for tonight, guys. No playback again tonight, but we'll be back on playback tomorrow night. No film session tomorrow morning either, so we're gonna take a little break. We will be live tomorrow night after the final buzzer of Game three thunder Nuggets. Very excited for that game. We'll see you guys.
Speaker 3: Then. What's up guys.
Speaker 2: As always, I appreciate you for listening to and supporting hoops tonight. It would actually be really helpful for us if you guys would take a second and leave a rating and a review.
Speaker 3: As always, I appreciate you guys.
Speaker 2: Supporting us, but if you could take a minute to do that, I'd really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: The volume