Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: Breakfast Club Morning, everybody is dej Envy, Jess hilarious, Charlamagne the guy we are the Breakfast Club, Lon Laros of course filling in for Jess. And we got a special guest in the building, indeed, the brother Michael Eric Dison.
Speaker 1: Keeping light skin, Brothers alive. How are you feeling, brother man, I'm feeling like we're still riding with Drake, so let's hang on as long.
Speaker 3: As we can.
Speaker 4: Michael Davey got a new book I called represent the Unfinished Fight for the Vote.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, yes, sir man, you know, look, thank the publishing gods. I was like, it's pretty good timing for what we're doing. My co author Mark Favreau, brilliant writer and gifted historian, and we wanted to talk about in issues that's central to what we're dealing with here in America today, and that's voting and why people should vote, how they fought forward over time and what it means to us today.
Speaker 4: And people think voter suppression might be new, like they've seen January sixth and all these other recent incidents that have tried to suppress the vote. But this book discusses other attempts to suppress the vote, and yeah, to vote that go way back. Can you talk about that.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, great, great point. Let's just talk about your state, South Carolina in the eighteen I think it was seventy six election where they were deliberately trying to suppress the black vote, right, and these were the Democrats who were in power, who were trying to maintain that power. And back then it was the Democrats who were the party of the racists, and what we subsequently knew was Dixiocrats. So they invented this militia called the Red Shirts, and they were riding rough shot over black people, doing illegal stuff to suppress the vote, you know, scaring them, intimidating them. And they said, I want to read this to you because this is rather remarkable. I don't want bore people, but this is what a copy of their plan was circulated over state. This is what it says. Every Democrat must feel honored by excuse me, to control the vote at least one negro. Never threaten a man individually. If he deserves to be threatened, the necessities of the times required that he should die. A dead radical is very harmless a threatened radical is often troublesome, sometimes dangerous, and always vindictive. So they were doing their thing, and then the Democratic candidate for governor, Wade Hampton, had these people out in force, and they had rifle clubs aimed at trying to suppress the Black vote. So January sixth did not start it. It's part and parcel of what we have done as a government in America. And unbeknownst to a lot of people, January six ain't no outlier unless you say the outlining and not telling the truth about what's going on in American politics.
Speaker 2: I gotta ask, you know, what do you think about what's going on today with the race? Of course, the stuff from the beginning. We haven't seen you in a while, right, So of course, Joe Biden, you know we've been up here. I would think for like the last year and a half, A says something's not right, he's not right.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: They gave us a lot of flak for it. Then they came back and said, you're absolutely positively right.
Speaker 4: I didn't just say you wasn't not right. I said he should step out of the race because I didn't think he could win.
Speaker 2: Him showed early signs of dementia. We thought they pushed him out. Kamala Harris, head new energy. What is your thoughts on the whole thing?
Speaker 1: Let me probably a little look at it from my homie. I know that white manner to the wheels fellow, I didn't care. Just put weekend at Bernie's. Push him on the damn you know, wheelchair, push him in the room, because that was still acceptable over what we were facing. Now, there's no question that there were questions and concerns. You all were on the front line raising those questions. Other people were doing it more than nefariously behind the scenes, ostensibly supporting, but all the time stabbing you with the knife. Joe Biden I think could have still won. It would have been much closer. It had been a much tighter race house. And ever, as James Brown would say, there is no doubt that the shifting energy to Kamala Harris is remarkable. Let's be real, it's got a surprise. Kamala Harris. You ever done something you go like, damn, I ain't know. I didn't know I was gonna come like that. Nobody could have predicted it. You know what they were predicting White women ain't gonna stand up for that black woman because white women were voting disproportionately in their numbers for Donald Trump the last time around. They didn't support Hillary to the degree that they should have anyway. So what makes us think that they're gonna support this black woman from California? Well, lo and behold they is and Republican women are out there doing their things. I hope it's a reverse Tom Bradley effect, you know, the Tom Bradley effect and named after the governor of California, which meant white people would say, oh, yes, we'll vote for the negro work I got to support him, and then going to booth and then boom, vote for the white guy. I think the reverse might happen this time around, that white women might tell their husbands and other interested parties, yes, yes I'm a Trumper, and then going there and support common Mala Harris. Why because she's reasonable, Why because she's intelligent, Why because she's self possessed, she's not off the hinge as Trump is, and she continues to escalate a war against the lunacy that is Donald Trump. So it is astonishing, it's amazing. I've known Vice President Harris for some twenty odd years. She's been a woman of integrity, she's been a woman of serious regard for the people, and she's been willing to take on some complicated stuff. I know a lot of people are trying to portray her as you know, tough on crime and so on and so forth. You what amazes me about that black people be the first people called the police anyway, right, And I mean you be there, like Mama, I told you that sandwich wasn't right. I'm calling the cops on you. So obviously I'm being facetious, y'all. But the point is that does.
Speaker 3: Some very progressive things.
Speaker 1: She's done some very progressive bat that. But at the same time, we act like people don't commit crime. We acting like the people who are calling the cops or at least asking for crime, not this kind of antiquated, antediluvian assault upon the rights of black people. We ain't talking about that. We talking about you in the hood and I'm trying to live and you selling, you promoting, you doing whatever that's undermining our communities. You know, when I was I think ros Baroka, the mayor of Newark, said some of that defund the police stuff was from bourgeoise negroes who don't live in these hoods now, whether you take that or not, because I'm for a progressive realization of police being held to account. As Tyreek Hill, I think he's with us now. The point is at the same time that there are real concerns and issues of crime that she tried to address in very practical and progressive fashion, and we need to acknowledge that. But I think the energy with her is remarkable. It's astonishing, and more power to her. I hope she continues to grow in strength and numbers as we go on.
Speaker 4: Me too, you know, That's why I think your book is so timely, because you know, one thing that I've been speaking about is why aren't more people calling out the Supreme Court and calling out for being an illegitimate institution, Because what I don't even know if our democracy right now is healthy enough to have a free and fair election because of a lot of their recent rulings. And when you look at the fact that you know, you'll have so many people across the country who might refuse to certify the result of the election right right.
Speaker 3: That's why I think your book is very timed.
Speaker 1: Thank you for that and I appreciate that that's a brilliant point, because, look, there's enough skepticism to go around anyway, enough cynicism even to be generated in the aftermath of what the Supreme Court has done. And for those who say voting don't matter, just take the Supreme Court the issue you're talking about. Three justices were appointed by Donald Trump. Three Now, remember when Obama was in office and Mitch McConnell, the great al face One himself, said that, no, we're not gonna have an election. You know, we're not gonna you know, it's too close to election. We're not gonna do this is ten months before we're gonna hold Merrit Garland and let the next president decide. Donald Trump wins, he gets in his people on what Gorsag, Kavanaugh and Amy Cony Barrett right, they have shifted profoundly to the right. A court that was meant, as you said, to be a check and balance and democracy. You got the executive branch, the president and stuff. You got the legislative people in Congress and the Senate, and you got the Supreme Court, and they're all supposed to be held in check. But when the Supreme Court is in cahoots with the President of the United States of America, who happens to be an anti democracy figure, who is inspiring an insurrection in America. The very avatar symbol of what's supposed to be democracy itself is himself purging you know, voters. More importantly, democracy by his own actions is astonishing. So it is a question as to whether or not the Supreme Court should be reformed. Now, you know, President Biden put forth these rules, you know, but they to regulate themselves. The you know, what did Malcolm X say? The chickens are being now presided over by the foxes, So we can't you know, you know, Clarence Thomas, a white supremacist and black skin, a man who has been so unprincipled, and his wife and the wife of another Supreme Court Justice Alito, running your flag upside down, you are signifying to us that you are complicitus with the very forces that you should be opposing. So it is a problem. But I say, the answer then is not less voting, but more because if we change the constitution, not of the United States of America, but of the court of the voter, if we get a person in like Kamala Harris and Tim Wallas, and they are able to restore some sense of integrity and appreciation and confidence in our government that goes a long way towards trying to remedy some of these more systemic and structural problems.
Speaker 2: How do you think we should hand do two things?
Speaker 1: AI? In all this fake news? Right?
Speaker 2: Because people really believe what they're seeing online, and although you could hear it from the horse's mouth, people really believe it. So how do you think these politicians should handle a lot of the AI and a lot of the fake news that's going on across the social media and even the news is reporting some of this fake news?
Speaker 1: Of course, Look, AI is one of my favorite players of all time, so I support him whatever he is. Okay, Now, the other AI, right, because Allen ivers that I saw him for three years when I was a professor at University of Pennsylvania, one of the coldest ever to do it in one of the brazses. I wish we had AI in that in terms of artificial intelligence, because it is it's tricky. We don't know what's real. The deep fakes, you know, people out here saying one thing and meaning another or lying about it even before AI think about it, the robo calls that were being out put out here. You know, voting is on Wednesday. Now you know we don't vote on Wednesday, next Saturday. To vote early to the you know souls to the polls and churches is problematic, and so on and so forth. So you've got the distillation and the dial of all kinds of fake news and fake information, which is why behooves us to listen to the breakfast Club, why behooves us to read the New York Times, the Guardian, the Wall Street Journal, whatever your paper of choice is, and to make sure you can fact check, because if you've got again, and I hate to just beat this dead horse, but you've got a president who is the font of fake news, of defactualization, a factfulness gone awry. This dude don't know a fact. If it hit him in the head, he lies, and then he lies again, and people lie and lie again and create that as the basis of facts. Then you've got Senators like Hawley and Congressmen like Jordan out here reinforcing the negativity that's generated by the falseness of it. So you got misinformation, which is I didn't mean to get it wrong, but I messed up disinformation said, I meant to get it wrong, and I'm trying to lie to you so I can convince you to do something that is against your best interests. So disinformation and misinformation are bet enough. So we got to continue to do the old fashioned way. Read it for yourself, find it in a newspaper, check it against facts of history. Begin to talk to people that you trust, talk to people who you know whose job it is to think about these things. And no disrespect to celebrities, but man, oh man, in our community especially, we're vulnerable. You know, you get a celebrity, gets mad, gets upset, talks about things. And I love my man Tyrese. He was just off base when what he was saying. I love his energy, I love the sincerity with which he said it. I know his intent was right, but sometimes you could just be spreading misinformation that ain't helpful to us as the people so read. And this is why I know the sound self serving as a black intellectual. But I'm sixty five years old. I've been out here on this battlefield for forty years, and I'm telling you I'm trying to make the life of the mind sexy. To young people. I want them to see you ain't just got to be a rapper, which is important. You ain't just got to be an entertainer, which is great. You ain't got to be a singer, You ain't got to be an athlete. You could be an intellectual, a thinker, a person who puts on every day a thinking cap and tries to reflect upon the world. There's something virtuous about that, and I'm unapologetic about that because I think we need more of that now in an era when disinformation ai, the creation of deep fakes, and the perpetuation of legacies of inequity through means to dominate the masses has to be examined. So we got to go back to old school, think about Noam Chomsky and manufacturing consent, and think about these great books Marshall mclewin in terms of talking about the media and the medium is the message. That's the kind of stuff we got to think critically about as we move forward.
Speaker 4: You know, then there's about what you said, brother Dyson. Most of your favorite entertainers are rappers that people like you like them because they're intellectual, right, whether you deem them an academic intellectual or not. Like you like Pak, you like Killer Mike, you like jay Z, you like Nas, you scarface.
Speaker 3: These brothers are intellectuals, Lauren here.
Speaker 1: You know, that's a great point, and that's why I did them. I've written books about half of them. Why because they're thoughtful. Pac. I mean, Pac was amazing on that microphone. But boy, he's up here talking about American government. I mean at twenty two, twenty three, twenty four, the son of a black panther, he said, I was literally born in jail because his mother was one of the panthers twenty one that were here in New York and we're on trial. So from the very beginning, he was trained about being skeptical and suspicious of the dominant society. When you think about a Killer Mike, a Loupe Fiasco, you know people that I've talked to constantly. When you think about a Jay, when you think about a Nas. These are highly intellectual reflections and reflectors on society. And we appeal to them precisely because they teach us to think for ourselves and to be open minded.
Speaker 5: Great point, how do you feel about do you sepplies as comments that he made about Kamala and people questioning her who applies all right?
Speaker 1: And his support you mean his support for her, Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's support.
Speaker 5: But it caused a big conversation about how do you question your candidates? Should you question your candidates? Is she being questioned unfairly? And I know your book is all about like desires and voting equaling that. So how did you feel about what he said?
Speaker 1: Rayborn? Well, I love plies. You know, prize is out there just raising the serious questions that need to be raised. Another intellectually curious and insightful young man. And look, you got to question all these candidates. I love and support Kamala Harris. I've known her for over twenty years. I think she is the best woman for the job, made the best woman win, That's what I think. However, you got to hold everybody to account. She knows that if she's worth her salt, she's got to say, hold me to account. Y'all know this old story that a Philip Randolph and Mary MacLeod Bethune a visiting with Franklin Delano Roosevelt in the White House, right, and they were part of his kitchen and cabinet. This is like back in the forties, and they're telling him you got to do this. You got to create the possibility for black people to vote. You've got to we have to do everything we can to make sure that the military is, you know, desegregated. He says, everything you were doing and saying I agree with and now go out in the streets and make me do it right. Harry Belafonte used to love telling that story. So the thing is, you got to make people hold them to account. Martin Luther King Junior on the outside putting pressure on LBJ allows LBJ to collar some of those people in the Senate and say, you're gonna vote the right way, and we're gonna do what we kind of do to pass what the Voting Rights Ack. But before that, the Civil Rights Bill, right, civil Rights Ack. And then look at the Holy Trinity sixty four, the Civil Rights Act, sixty five, the Voting Rights Ack, and in sixty eight, in homage the doctor King after his death, the Fair Housing Act. That's the Holy Trinity. That's the triumphant trilogy of transformation for Black folk in this country, politically and legislatively. So you got to hold these people to account. If it wasn't for the pressure of King, then LBJ wouldn't have done what he did, couldn't have done what he did. If it wasn't for Frederick Douglas, then Lincoln might not have acted the way he did. And we ain't talking about perfect people. You know, when people always cite the history of some of these people, Joe Biden or Lincoln, I don't give a dang what Lincoln's motivation was. He signed the Emancipation Proclamation. And when he signed that Emancipation Proclamation, that opened up possibility. So we have to stop demanding perfection even as we hold people to account. And I think it is important to hold people to account. But what's interesting to me is that when I hear all that about holding to account, I ain't seeing nobody who's promoting Donald Trump saying let me do it skeptically, let me be self critical about mister Trump. Yes, I think that in their quoting going back fifty years to find something about Joe Biden, this dude was promoting the death of the Central Park five now known as the Exonerated five not long ago, and ain't apologized yet or backtrack upon demanding the death penalty for them. Here's a guy who would his father denied people access to housing when he owned these cribs in these apartments in New York. Here's a guy who has been consistent. Now, I think rappers get it twisted because he was an icon of hip hop before. Why because he had the women he had they talk, They thought he had the money. You can see he was lying. They thought he had the buildings and the money, and he was a billionaire and all that. So that was attractive to a kind of glitzy hip hop era where it was all about the pursuit of capital. But Donald Trump was faking the funk even then. His daddy gave him four four hundred million to begin with. If your father gave you four hundred million to begin with as a little loan to hook you up and you still struggling the way you're doing, you are of a failure. So even at that level, they're problematic issues. I hear young rappers saying, but he gave us a check. No, they talking about during COVID the twelve hundred dollars or whatever they got two thousand check the record. That's the legislative branch, that is Congress stuff that he opposed, and then he took credit for distributing Joe Biden done hooked up a lot of people in terms of student loan. I know three or four people have been forgiven one hundred thousand or more. So the point is, check the record, stop the disinformation, stop the misinformation, stop the deep fakes, and ask serious questions. You must always hold people to account, hold me to account, hold y'all to account. But do it in a in a in a I think respectful fashion. The thing that I have a problem with I'm I'm on Twitter or what it acts and people calling me out my name. You know, I'm trying to check as the people I know undercover. Maybe it's my mother, Okay, no, it's not her. So the thing is is that you know, you can hold me to account, you can challenge me, but I'm twenty seven books in the game, mofo. I've done my work. It doesn't mean that you have to agree with what I say, but be respectful for what I do and acknowledge that. And so On Twitter, you know, we have these Twitter you know, battles, and we got these digital warriors who are talking trash and being nasty and calling your names. Do we have to do that? Can we respect the integrity of each other and say we're in a pitched battle where trying to figure out the best way to go, and let's treat each other with fundamental love and respect.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the dim witted doappo ganger.
Speaker 1: Love that phrase. Wow, Yes, he is a dem witted doppo ganger. Uh he is an autocratic in our guard. We're talking about Donald Trump, a foolish fascist. For that matter, you talking about JD Vance But you know Jay, I mean, what's up a JD Right? First of all, you give an ivy league a bad name. Bro, you went to Yale. Uh, you got more reason to have high intelligence than that. Uh he is, he is in himself a dim witted dappo ganger of Donald Trump. Because you know better not the the the erosion of JD. Vance over the last three or four years. You know, not only are you being supported by Peter Till and you know your whole uh senatorial career is old to one guy uh in Silicon Valley who believes in you and your right wing agenda. And you're deeply and profoundly the nativest xenophobic belief and passion merrit as you are to an Indian woman in America and initially you were saying, oh, yeah, she's not white. But why are you apologizing for your wife, bro, Because the side you're on is so racist that you have to then make an exception for the inclusion of your wife. That ought to tell you something. JD. Vance is a despicable reflection of cow towing and capitulating to a foolish fascist like Donald Trump, and his ability to be an echo chamber as opposed to a critical voice is disparaiting. But we are to call him for what he is, and he is joined with the enemy of the state. He has joined with an enemy of democracy, and we are to call him out for it.
Speaker 4: You know, your book also points out how the Finding Fathers didn't want everybody to vote. Could you talk about who couldn't yeh at the beginning of the nation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad you said that, because people think, well, they came here, they're trying to flee Great Britain. You know, Taxation without representation Nah, sounds like DC, right, But the point is the Founding Fathers, like, we got to be real careful with that, because if you say everybody can vote, then them slaves can vote. Can't have that so we got to figure out a way to keep them out. Oh, we don't want the women running stuff. Got to figure out a way to keep them out. Oh, I get it. We'll say you have to be property owning. Now that excludes a whole bunch of white people too, white men. But we can keep it elite. We can keep it a nice little club that we control, because we don't want the unwashed masses to be able to determine and dictate what goes on in America. So initially, what did they do. They punted it. The federal government said, let's give it to the states. Right. Whoever is, you know in New Jersey, they can decide what they're doing. Who's in you know, Massachusetts, they can decide what they're doing. Who's in South Carolina, they can decide what they're doing. So they punted it to the states. And then you've heard of this thing called states rights. Right. That was a big thing during the Civil rights movement at its height, because they were saying, it's the state's rights. Forget the federal government telling us what we can and cannot do, imposing constraints upon us. You know, when George Wallace, the governor of Alabama stood in the door and kept those negroes from entering the University of Alabama. Forget the federal government, it's the state, and Alabama says they cannot come in. So that's what's set up by the federal government because they said the founding fithers, we don't want us dictating and determining what goes on in these states. For instance, in New Jersey, women could vote. Initially, right, that was the only state that allowed women to vote. They were first referring to they, which is not you know, neutral, Then they said he or she, which is pretty progressive when you think about women voting. But then decades later they even rejected the possibility of women voting in Jersey. In some states, black people could vote, then they couldn't vote. So there was a hodgepodge and a mismash mismash of you know, constitutional declarations independently of these states that allowed them to have wildly varying degrees of support overall. In all, the founding Fablers weren't the kind of you know, rich, richly supportive democrats, small d that were able to say we want everybody to be able to vote, and that kind of misunderstanding. It's just like when when I hear conservatives say, well, we're a Christian nation, No we ain't. Bro South Africa is one of the rare ones that claims to be explicitly a Christian nation. You see how that turned out. So when they say this is a Christian nation, Thomas Jefferson ain't believing in the Bible the same way you do Ralph Reid or Jerry Folwell, it's a different Bible. The first thing Thomas Jefferson did when he got the Bible he cut all the miracles out because he wanted to be empirical. He left Smokey Robinson though, okay anyway, so not to not to not come on, man, come on with it. So he cut the miracles out. He wanted only things that could be empirically verifiable. So boom, that's gone. Y'all ain't believing in that. They were what they call mechanistic deists. That means God wound the world up, put it in order, and let it go on its own. So when Albert Einstein years later, when he's debating Werner Heisenberg and about you know, theories of physics, Einstein believed in the you know, that there's phenomena that you could specifically note where it is. Heisenberg said, now it's an uncertainty principle. We don't quite know where it is. We're trying to figure it out. It's approximately here. I said God. Einstein said, God does not play dice with the universe. So what he meant by God was you know, Einstein was an atheist. He meant the structure of the universe natural law. So I'm saying all that to say, when y'all be saying this is a Christian nation and has founded upon these principles, stop lying. Do your homework. It was far more complicated and nuanced than we believed, and they believed in the different kind of God than we believe in. Now, same with democracy. They were not for everybody participating. But the genius of those documents, the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights is that we could take what they said and use it for our advantage, because we could expand democracy to the parameters that they claimed to want to do but never did. That's the beauty of our country.
Speaker 5: Speaking of everybody not participating, I know you were like a big proponent of Beyonce, and you know you saw what just recently happening, what happened with her in the CMAS. And you know we don't I mean we don't. We participate in that arena, but we never get our just due ever there.
Speaker 3: Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 5: So her dad has come out and said, of course race played a factor, like that's the obvious conversation around it, because Cowboy Carters. She had a huge year, right, she made history, did you know what I mean? So, what's your take on Beyonce and the CMAS?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know, come on, man, I mean, just in terms of the merits alone, forget the issues of race, gender, class. Just on the issue of the merits alone. The album itself is a document of country music. Was beautiful, brilliant and powerful, and she stretched the parameters of it. She got Dolly Partner on there, giving her a code sign. I mean, she did all the stuff you was supposed to do. She wearing the cowboy boots, she got the cowboy hat. You know, she's hanging out. She Texas, hold them. I mean, she making the music and she grew up in Houston, Texas. Y'all what y'all think? Of course, she loves country music. I grew up in Detroit. My daddy was from George and mama from Alabama. We listened to country music. Hey, good looking, what you got cooking? How's about cooking something up with me? Come on, man, I mean you know, I mean we would listening to that country music. Ray Charles putting it down. We're watching George Hamilton play, you know, the great, great country singer and who died in his early mid twenties. So the point is that we listened to country. We are country, We helped produce country. Country is like the white blues, and blues is like the black country. So there were similar traits, musical styles, signatures, cadences and the like. So Beyonce grew up with that ginguinely and now to be denied that, how well else you gonna say, But it's a racial segregation of a marketplace that they are seeking to undermine, that they are seeking to open up, that they're seeking the challenge. And look, I live in Nashville, Tennessee. I love country music. I'm down with it. I go to the CMA's my very dear friend Mia McNeil, who I had the chance to a performer wedding ceremony A brilliant advocate for DEI in country music is there. So they're making strives. But this right here is a black mark pun intended on country music, and they ought to be ashamed of themselves for denying the very means by which they could become even more popular. Think about it. Michael Jackson had to argue for his music to be played on MTV. Please, White establishment, allow me to save you. Allow me to come in and make videos that will revive your genre. And so at the same time, here what we got to acknowledge is that Beyonce brought a different audience to what's going on. Think about it. When Taylor Swift is at the NFL, they're embracing it. Let's show Taylor every two point seven seconds with her boyfriend and clapping and so on and so forth. So now Beyonce comes in, it's a different story. It's ball racism, it's bigotry. And Howard Thurmant said, the biggot is a person who makes an idol of his commitments. They've they've committed themselves to a narrow range of what is a popular and appropriate and I think it's shameful and they are to be called on it. For the racist that racism that that represents.
Speaker 4: And you know, I want to bought Vanderbilt. Got a salute Alice Randall. She wrote the book My Black Country. You know that talks to my homegirl from Detroit to my colleague, Music's past, present in future. Yes, black people's role in country music.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I mean she is a brilliant She is the most brilliant exponent of black folk and country music. And that book is a remarkably terrifically eloquent exposition of what we've been through, what we've gone through. She's a songwriter as well, and a tremendous, tremendous writer. So I would encourage all of y'all to read that book.
Speaker 4: We got a couple more questions for you, because I know we got somebody else coming in. But you wrote a great article speaking of the vice president, Kamala Harris and racial politics, and you compared commulated Drake at certain levels. What were you trying to say in that piece, because you know, we want people to vote for the vice president.
Speaker 3: I don't know comparing to the Drake right now is the best way I watch people to do that.
Speaker 5: I watched that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go ahead, all right, we'll see. Here's my point, break it down my life. You know what, we have been in exile light skinned black people since Wesley Snipes stabbed Christopher Williams in New Jack Citty.
Speaker 4: It's been a rough I'm not going to die one of my favorite moments.
Speaker 1: We've been hurting ever since. We were depending upon Steph Curry and Drake to bring us back, and it's been a setback in one way. But here's the point. To be serious. The song is one thing. Say what you will about they not like us, but as an argument, they not like us. Fifteen eighty two, twelve point five black people from Africa are dispersed across the North Atlantic, and the North Atlantic slave trade begins, and most people did not come to what we now know is the United States of America. They went to Brazil, they went to may Cole, they went to the Caribbean, and less than four hundred thousand came here. Number one, Why is that important? Because when we're talking about who's black and who's not, because you know, people debating me, we ain't telling you so stupid. Okay, you could say that, but I got my bona for days. You're so stupid. It's not about race and Drake, It's about culture. He's a culture vulture. Are you serious? Right now? What other black entertainer do you know has ever been called a culture vulture for experimenting in his own or her own music. That's number one. Number two, Drake grew up in Toronto, adopting different musical persona was indigenous to that particular region. Number two, Number three, A lot of black folk went to Canada when they were trying to escape the murderous privileges of whiteness in America where slaveocracy was established. So when you say Drake is illegitimate or not genuine because he doesn't like a Black American culture or doesn't embrace it, blackness is bigger than what happens in the United States of America. Kamala Harris, what did they say, She's got a fake accent? Sound familiar, Drake with those fake accents? This is what artists do. What did Jay Z say, we're all actors? De Niro in training? What did Fat Joe say? Ninety seven percent itself is made up? That's what artists do. We don't hold al pacino, Are you really a member of the mob. We don't do that too. Maybe Frank Sinatra. We gave him an exception, but there were many others who do this right. We don't say you have to live the life you sing about in your song, which is a great gospel song, beautif when Mahela Jackson is singing it, not so much when you're trying to act like what's on that film as you or what's in that booth as you. We make stuff up. That's what art does. That's what fiction writers do. That's what Tony Morrison does. Now. Tony Morrison's Beloved is based upon a real story Margaret Garner, right, who killed her own children and before I'll be a slave, I'll be buried in my grave and go home to my God and be free, or kill my own kids. But she fictionalized the expression of that idea. Why is it that Drake becomes the avatar and symbol of what is not genuine in blackness when it's your narrow conception of blackness that prohibits him from flourishing in many ways? So I got big arguments with that. Kamala Harris. They said the same thing about Drake as her. You got a fake accent. You went to Canada to go to school. Jade Vance has been on her about that, and then that you are not genuinely black in the way that other black people are. Blackness by definition is subversive. It undermines narrow categories. I spent most of my career arguing against people who are trying to impose narrow constraints upon on blackness. We are as big as our imaginations allow us to be. And I think this is one of the sorry moments within hip hop and black culture where Drake becomes automatically uh the the representative of what is inauthentic, and Kamala Harrison the same way, you ain't really black. She's not a real black woman. Even Donald Trump is trying to weigh in by saying she just turned black, like she had malaria or some of a disease and you know, leprosy, and that she became black. This is the kind of ignorance that we've got to confront.
Speaker 2: I would love to hear you take I notice has nothing to do with politics, but I love I love your thought process. The fact that Lil Wayne is not performing a super Bowl in New.
Speaker 1: Orleans, go yeah, that's uh. Look, I love Lil Wayne. I'd rather be underground pushing flowers than in the pigs shared souths. I hear you, bro, Look, I mean those decisions are are complicated in the nuance. Right. First of all, we just now got used to the fact that hip hop could even be part of the conversation. Thank you, I mean thank you Rock Nation, I mean jay Z. Now, now this ain't got nothing to do with that. But I was about to preach that sermon you were talking about. A couple three weeks ago. I get a text, bring back the glasses. So I said, it was this text to be and he says, I guess people feel the same way about my hair. Ha ha ha. So you know I'm wearing them, Jay, what's I'm here right now? Other people have been saying it too. Because I had cataract surgery, I didn't need glass anymore, but you know I was. Mike said, I didn't even know it was you.
Speaker 5: It's the look, it's a part of the look.
Speaker 3: It's the brand.
Speaker 1: See what I'm saying. So Jay, and then now you I'll come and keep wearing the glass. So the point is Jade knows what he's talking about. He understands what the deal is. So because of him, we even have an argument about whether it could be Wheezy or whether it be you know, Kendrick and so on. I mean, look, whoever the choice is, can't be bad. Hip hop is being represented now. Should Little Wayne be acknowledged as a denizen of New Orleans as one of the greatest artists we've ever produced? Absolutely, and who knows, maybe he'll bring Little Wayne on. But I think again, our privilege which creates a certain kind of opportunity here to argue about stuff that we didn't even have five years ago before got involved.
Speaker 3: That's an incredible point.
Speaker 1: Ain't nobody even had no conversation about hip hop and its presence? So I give grace and love to jay Z and continue to support that movement because it's all good for all of us. Even though I'm a Drake fan and I love Kendrick as well, I understand what that's about. But my defensive Drake doesn't mean I'm ignorant to the broader dimensions of hip hop culture and what jay Z is doing. And it's nothing short or remarkable when you think about it.
Speaker 4: The final question, give people a case as to why they should go out and vote for this election.
Speaker 3: Because everybody always says.
Speaker 4: Oh, this is the most consequential election of our lifetime. You know, if you know this election, this candidate is the threat to democracy, which I believe Trump is. Yes, But but why should people go out there and vote in this election?
Speaker 3: Why is this the most important election of our lifetime?
Speaker 1: It is? And thank you for saying that. That's a great, great point. It is because you know how they often say democracy is on the ballot, But it is right because the choice is pretty glaring. You've got a person who has undermined the very nature of what democracy is about. If democracy is we define in this book as people power and the ability of people to control and govern the institutions that regulate their lives, to be able to dictate the terms of their existence by full participation in American democracy, then we have to conclude this man is a danger and a threat to American democracy. Now, he tried to flip that by saying, this is why they attempted to assassinate me, because they have demonized me and painted me as a bete noir, as a horrible person for American democracy. But you are, sir, so I think it's right for us to acknowledge that in this election, we are choosing between that on the one hand, and a woman who is the representative of all that is great and good about America as a black and black women alread running stuff. They might as well run the countries, right. I mean, at the end of the day, without black women, where would we be, right, I wouldn't be here. Most of us wouldn't be here without a black woman and a black woman not only in terms of physically, but in terms of the mental approach. When I go to these places where they're supporting black men and how black men have been this, it's black women leading away. It's black women saying, give our men a chance, give our boys a chance. Black women are standing up for us in ways we don't stand up for them. Twenty years ago, twenty one years ago, I wrote a book called Why I Love Black Women. It wasn't no thing, it wasn't no black girl magic, it wasn't no black boy joy. I did it because I felt that it was necessary to celebrate black women because they were being dissedant, dismissed. And look, you can choose who you want as a life partner. If you and this microphone get along, I get it. Hey, I like you I like you too.
Speaker 3: Why do you like men?
Speaker 1: Because you amplify me. You're long and black, and you're assertive. I like that. Your brain is big, and I appreciate that. So my point is, y'all get down with the microphone and have micrats. I mean, go do your thing. My point is you love who loves you. And I ain't mad at that. But at the end of the day, there is no reason to demonize and stigmatize black women for the very strength that they possess that is necessary to push the race forward. We get mad when it's expressed at home. And I think, and I know this is controversial. I think some of the black men who are for Trump. Look, I know there are reasons for that, and I don't diss them, but some of this is straight up misogyny. Some of it is straight up patriarchy. And what's ironic to me is that some black men who don't want a woman being a pastor of their church, and trust me, I preach in these churches might now end up having a woman as president of the United States of America. Ain't that God in a pan souit in high heels, you know? And look, Barack Obama was Jackie Robinson. Jackie Robinon's great quality. He was a great ballplayer. He had tremendous skill, but his greatest skill was his ability to endure white supremacy and give it a licking while he kept doing what he's doing, kept doing what he was doing without being angry.
Speaker 5: Or resentful to the point I wanted you to get to go ahead, right.
Speaker 1: I think Kamala Harris is Willy Mays. Willie Mays came along a few years after Jackie Robinson, equally talented, really, let's be real, far more talented, and had a joy what they call a joa devive. He had a joyfulness about and a confidence. But that confidence that Willie Mays could express even though he was subject to the arbitrary women caprice of white supremacy and segregation, but he was freer because of the sacrifice of Jackie Robinson. So the joy of Kamala Harris grows from the hope of Barack Obama. Because Barack Obama had hope. Now Kamala Harris can have joy. And she is Willie Mays in high heels and she's stepping and I continue to support and love that woman because she represents the best of who we.
Speaker 3: Are, Michael Eric Dice, Ladies and gentlemen, that's right.
Speaker 4: Represent the unfinished fight for the vote is available everywhere you buy books right now.
Speaker 3: That's right, and we appreciate you for joining us this morning.
Speaker 1: Love y'all, keep doing the great work. That's right. It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: It's Michael Eric Dice.
Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club.