Speaker 1: Do you hate hangovers, We'll say goodbye to hangovers. Out of Office gives you the social buzz without the next day regret. Their best selling out of Office gummies were designed to provide a mild, relaxing buzz, boost your mood, and enhance creativity and relaxation. With five different strengths, you can tailor the dose to fit your vibe, from a gentle one point five milligram micro dose to their newest fifteen milligram gummy for a more elevated experience. Their THHC beverages and gummies are a modern, mindful alternative to a glass of wine or a cocktail. And I'll tell you this, I've given up booze. I don't like the hangovers. I prefer the gummy experience. Soul is a wellness brand that believes feeling good should be fun and easy. Soul specializes in delicious HEMP derived THHD and CBD products, all designed to boost your mood and simply help you unwine so if you struggle to switch off at night, Soul also has a variety of products specifically designed to just simply help you get a better night's sleep, including their top selling Sleepy gummies. It's a fan favorite for deep restorative sleep. So bring on the good vibes and treat yourself to Soul today. Right now, Soul is offering my audience thirty percent off your entire order. So go to gitsold dot com use the promo code toodcast. Don't forget that code. That's getsold dot Com promo code toodcast for thirty percent off.
Speaker 2: So joining me now.
Speaker 1: Is one of the most decorated Olympians in Iowa history. Josh Turik is candidate for the US Senate, but I'm born with spina bifida. He ended up making a name for himself in playing professionally wheelchair basketball, earning a gold medal as the leader of a US Olympic team at the Paralympics. And he's now a politician, not the blazing a trail that, frankly is actually not a first time trail when it comes to that people. Certainly we've had our share of athletes going into politics. Josh is from the western part of the state. It's the state I'm the least familiar with council bluffs. He will correct me if I'm wrong, which also means he's sort of in that weird No Man's Land, how much Iowan? How much Nebraskan, which I'm gonna give my hard time about. But with that, let's talk a little bit about your campaign and who you are. Josh Turk, It's nice to.
Speaker 2: Meet you, Yeah, Chuck, thanks for having me. First.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to correct you on I'm not an Olympian. I'm a Paralympian. I'm a four time Paralympian, time gold medalist, the Summer Olympian.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's part of the Olympics, isn't it all the you know?
Speaker 3: I mean, well, the Summer Olympics is the largest sporting event on Earth in terms of total athletes and total countries in the Summer Paralympics, which immediately follows the Olympics, is the second largest sporting event on Earth. And I'm a very proud Paralympian and two time gold medalist. And then the other correction is, you're right, I am. I am a politician, but I really would define myself as a representative.
Speaker 2: A politician can be a bit of a pejorative, no, And I get that.
Speaker 1: I mean just like journalists can be a bit of a pejorative these days, right, you know, or a member of the media, if you will. But let me start with Eric. You know, if let's start with your life as a professional athlete. You know you're born with spina biffita. You didn't probably think as a kid you were going to be a professional athlete. Walk me through that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sure.
Speaker 3: I was born and raised in Council BLUs, Iowa. Council Bluss is a very working class community. Sixty five percent of my community lives at or below the poverty line. I grew up to a large family, three sisters, one brother, and we grew up with a lot of economic struggle. We went to the Goodwill for our clothes, We shared clothes, went to the free summer lunch programs. There were times where my mom put our grocery bill on the credit card. So certainly somebody is familiar with a lot of economic struggle, of what a lot of people are going going through right now, both in Iowa and around the country. And then I was was born with my condition. I was born with a condition called spina bifida. This was due to my father's exposure to agent orange and Vietnam. I had my first suit do.
Speaker 1: You directly, do you is that's a direct fact that this has been directly Yeah, actually responsible.
Speaker 3: It's one of yes, it's one of the few times where the government has had to admit culpability. When when I was younger, we were part of the lawsuit and did the DNA testing and yeah, because of that, actually receive my health care that is related to my spina bifida through the VA and so.
Speaker 1: So yes, and that's for Lily, right, that's for life. You're on Tricare for life because of that.
Speaker 3: Is that is correct anything that is directly related to my to my spina bifida. So in my spina bifida, I had my first surgery at one day old. I had twenty one surgeries before I was twelve, almost all of which took place at Shriner's Hospital, because it was the only way that my family could afford to do it. So I'm certainly somebody in a deeply personal way, I understand the importance of affordable and accessible health care for individuals. Thankfully, for me, I found wheelchair basketball at a young age. I went to an adaptive sports program in Omaha, Nebraska, and it exposed me to all kinds of adaptive sports. And I come from a big sports family. Actually, both my mother and sister were basketball players and went on to play professional basketball, and really that was what I was struggling. Legitimately, I was somebody that was bullied so bad. It's hard enough to go through life well as a kid with economic struggle, but then you had a healthcare struggle and it was difficult for me and was bullied so bad. I actually I left public school for a bit, but it provided me. It provided me really social setting and.
Speaker 2: Everything that I needed to be able to be successful.
Speaker 3: Because of wheelchair basketball, I was ultimately able to get a college scholarship along with the help of vocation or rehabilitation. Had it not been for wheelchair basketball, I don't think I would have even gone on to college. And I've had a very successful collegiate career and wheelchair basketball. Scored over four thousand career points and sixty three points in a game, which are still records at my school. And then I had the opportunity to do something that I didn't even know existed, which was professional wheels for basketball, which doesn't exist in America. It only exist over in Europe, so spent some time over there.
Speaker 1: Where did you live in europe court where the various Where was your franchise?
Speaker 3: Where was I was able to play in Outside of Milan, Italy? I played in the south of France, which was an amazing opportunity, and then played in Madrid, Spain and in Billbospang.
Speaker 2: Those were the places. Let me played.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you, and maybe you've I don't know if you've thought about this, but why has Europe been on the forefront of Why don't we have this in America? And if you think about it, the first women's professional basketball leagues were all in Europe.
Speaker 2: Weren't here? Have you?
Speaker 1: I'm just curious why it's to me too bad that you had to leave America to go through the stream. Why do you think we don't value it here?
Speaker 3: I think that our sports can be very masculinely driven, and I think the European ideal for sports is more open to the idea of female sports and to adapt to sports in a way that that for whatever reason, you know, the American paradigm on sports is just dramatically different.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: It's it's much more inclusive in that sense. In America, it was a struggle for us just to be able to get a handful of individuals just to come in and watch us, if you're like family and friends. And yet when we're over and we're able to get in front of thousands and thousands of folks, So it's.
Speaker 1: A it's just a different culture. Yeah, I mean, it's a totally totally different sports culture.
Speaker 3: And it was an amazing opportunity to be able to to live in experience, especially as a poor kid from from Iowa that had gotten his bachelor's degree in history. It was an amazing opportunity to be able to see these places I had only been able to read about in history books. And to be able to you learn so much about yourself and about others and societies and social safety nets when you're when you're living overseas, and yeah, it was it was an amazing opportunity for me.
Speaker 2: How's your Italian? A Deaco?
Speaker 1: Probably it's better than mine, So don't worry whatever you say.
Speaker 2: My Spanish, My Spanish is good.
Speaker 3: Uh. My wife is Dominican by by birth and Spanish by passport and met her when I was playing out in Madrid, and so certainly that one is is pretty.
Speaker 1: Nigh a little bit better than Italian. Right now, what you learned one more man's language, though you should be able to understand all the other thing. So to turn to politics if you weren't a politic.
Speaker 3: Just the one thing I want to I want to cover on this is we we didn't get to it. I did end up the highlight of my basketball career was being a four time Paralympian and two times yeah yeah, correct, and especially we're a basketball nation, but we had gone twenty eight years without winning gold and so we went from nineteen eighty eight all the way until twenty sixteen without winning a gold medal. So some of I'm really really proud of. That was the way I ended my career was with winning back to back gold medals. So that was the end of my basketball career.
Speaker 1: Before we jumped to you, actually your next it is you had such success in that phase of your life, how hard was it to walk away?
Speaker 2: Not hard at all.
Speaker 3: Actually, for me, from the very beginning, the goal was just to be able to represent my country and one Paralympics and to maybe have the opportunity to win one gold medal was always the goal for me. So the fact that I was able to represent in four Paralympic Games and win two gold medals. Ultimately Father Time is undefeated too. By the time I got to my last Paralympics, I mean, right that the athlete is Unfortunately we have to die to death and we spend tens of thousands of hours at trying to become great and become an expert in a field and then it gets taken away from you. But by the time that I got to that last Paralympics, which was in Tokyo twenty twenty, which ended up being twenty twenty one because of COVID, I knew that that was going to be the last basketball game that I ever was going to play. And I was really really clear too that I wanted to have as successful of a part B of my life as my part A was, and my part A was pretty successful. So it was beautiful actually because in Tokyo, I knew that was going to be the last games I ever was going to play, so I was able to smell the roses a little bit and appreciate it being.
Speaker 1: The How what was it like to watch to be a spectator.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: It's one of the only times actually that I missed it, truthfully, But you know, because because there were so many of those guys that are still on that team that I'm very very close with. You develop a genuine brotherhood with these guys that you go through so much struggle with. But it was beautiful to be able to see them they actually won. It was the we became the first team to ever win three gold medals in a row. So I was it was amazing to be able to watch them and support them as I was going through It was nice. Actually it was kind of cathartic for me and watch a little bit of their games as I after I was going out knocking doors and crawling stairs trying to win my reelection.
Speaker 1: Right, So tell me about the decision to go into politics. Was there other fields that you were contemplating and you know why what drew you to the political space?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, two things.
Speaker 3: One is I've been a director of a nonprofit organization for ten years and what we do is we provide free summer camps to disabled kids and adaptive sports opportunity. Just to be a role model to that community and to be able to give back. When I finished with my basketball career as well, I got certified and what's called an assistive technology professional. So I was federally certified to be able to assist, to assess and provide mobility devices, manual wheelchairs and power wheelchairs for individuals with disabilities. And I was working with children, I was working with newly injured individuals. But where I was really spending the vast enjoity of my time where with individuals with progressive conditions, conditions like muscular dystrope and Lugarry's disease. And what we were showing was every single day we were dealing with unnecessary denials and delays. And what we were showing internally is since Iowa and Nebraska had privatized their Medicaid system, a one thousand percent increase in denial rate. I thought that this was fundamentally wrong and immoral, and that somebody should do something. I mean, it's literally maximizing profits off the backs of the most vulnerable. I mean, in the case of als, oftentimes it's eighteen months or even shorter from assessment all the way, these people don't have time for denials and delays. And then I had found out that Iowa had never had a permanently disabled member of the legislature, even though we're a state of one hundred and fifty years and a governing body of a one hundred and fifty members. We've got one in five islands that either blind, death, intellectually disabled, or physically disabled. And I thought to myself, this is probably why we're seeing these barriers to healthcare and to employment is because of the complete and total lack of representation. And although I was out in very red western Iowa and they said, Josh, you can't win as a Democrat out here, I said, I'm going to do this the same way that I've done with my basketball career, try to win gold medals. I'm going to go out and I'm going to outwork my opponent every single day.
Speaker 2: And that's what I did. For me.
Speaker 3: That meant going out every day Raynorsheine, hot or cold, and dragging my wheelchair upstairs to have conversations with Republicans and independence because it didn't work any other way.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting for you to say that about Iowa because given that Tom Harkin the former Senator, and Bob Dole were basically the godfathers of the ADA Act. And in fact, I mean, look, when I was growing up there, it weren't very many ramps. You know, I had an elderly grandmother who we were constantly lifting a chair and all this stuff. I mean, I don't think people realize as and we are a long way away from everything being accessible for somebody and who needs to use a wheelchair these days. But to think where we were in the seventies and eighties compared to where we are today is because of an Iowa senator and a Kansas Senator from each side of the aisle. And there was a lot of momentum for that. And it does feel as if even the that the eightya feels like something that hasn't that sort of hit a wall a little bit. I imagine you have a lot of opinions about the ADAI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're certainly correct. I mean a handful of things there. One is he's a good friend of mine now, but he really is my political hero is Senator Tom Harkin. And this, in truth is one of the reasons why I'm doing this, is this is his seat that is up now after twelve years, you know, thirty years he was our Iowa senator and now it's been held by a Republican for the last twelve years. And myself, in so many disabled Iolands, so many disabled Americans.
Speaker 2: I'm only here.
Speaker 3: All the opportunities that I've been given for occupation educationally is only because of the work that Senator Harken and Congressman Tony Coeo and as you said, Bob Dole ended up doing on the American with Disabilities Act. They literally provided me in so many disabled Americans and on ramp onto society to be able to be successful. And one of the reasons why I'm doing this is because here in Iowa, we deserve to once again have a senator that is going to fight for the people and fight for the middle class, and fight for social and economic justice, and fight for these social safety nets that have allowed me to be successful in my life Medicare, Medicaid, social Security, and not just look out for billionaires in large corporations. It really is, I'm only here because of Senator Harkin, and I want to be able to continue his legacy and champion and carrying that flag and fighting for the people and fighting for healthcare.
Speaker 1: It's possible that our friend Tony Coelo might even be listening right now. He's somebody that I've known a long time in politics and very I mean, look this is the passion was ultimately one of the most passionate things he worked on.
Speaker 2: I know that. And and uh, he's very sensitive.
Speaker 1: I mean, I would get grief from him if he ever thought I wasn't giving somebody, you know, if I if I wasn't giving a benefit of doubt due to some sort of physical issue, you know, whether it was somebody with a with a verbal issue or something with their physical traits.
Speaker 2: And uh, he's a I.
Speaker 1: Consider him a longtime friend, and I imagine you he's.
Speaker 2: He's filled with advice. I bet in your campaign he absolutely is.
Speaker 3: And I've been I've been grateful to to be able to have now a friendship with with both Congressmen Coeo and and and Senator Harkin. And this is, this is this is certainly one of the reasons why I'm doing this is to continue on that legacy. One of the things that Senator Harkin talks about is one of the beauties of the American with Disabilities Act is that not one Nickel actually went to an individual with a disability. Is all it was doing was just evening the playing field. It was just providing an equality of opportunity to individuals. And that's what certainly, that's what we're fighting for.
Speaker 1: It was equal access, not equal outcomes. Equal access, that's right, that's correct, you know, which.
Speaker 2: Seems to be.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is you know, it's it's one thing you know in those that that physically have things that they have to overcome, but then there are you know, this is the same conversation we're trying to have about immigration, you know, the same conversation we're trying to have about any body that's trying to live a free life, right and wants to have equal opportunity, equal access, not necessarily equal outcome. Can you what do you think is the hardest part of convincing, because I do think when you explain to anybody left or right that it's about equal access, not equal outcome. Nobody's against equal access, you know, it's the equal outcome conversation that becomes the debate about all these Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. The way that I would say that is when I'm out there. I represent the redditest district that is represented by a Democrat that was won on election day, so Trump won my county by twenty points. I represent two communities in the Iowa legislature, Carter Lake, which Trump won by eighteen points and my hometown of Council Blufs, which he won by ten points, and I was able to win by nearly six points, about fifty percent.
Speaker 2: Better than any other Democratic Do you think is the Trump voter?
Speaker 3: The Turrek Trump voter is someone that Here's what I would say is that the one thing I'll give credit to Trump for is that he accurately addressed that the status quo was not working for the average American and is seeing a hallowing out of the middle class. And the Turrek Trump voter is maybe what they would be a common sense voter to some degree that felt like the Democratic Party had shifted away too much focusing on culture war issue or didn't feel like it was looking out enough for the middle class or the average American. And whereas for me, I'm a common sense prairie populace, much like Senator Harken. And when I'm out there, what I'm talking about are the kitchen table issues. It's the way that I was very disciplined about that, both not only in my legislative races, but in the Senate race of talking about that. This what matters the most is the kitchen table issues. It's about affordability. It's about driving down cost a livable wage. It's about affordable housing, it's about affordable healthcare, pharmaceuticals. We have some very specific issues to Iowa too that I would talk about. We were number one in public education and now we've precipitously dropped to the middle of the pack. So I would talk about public dollars belonging to public schools, talk about doing something about our cancer rates. In Iowa were the only state with the growing cancer rate, second highest rates to only Kentucky. And I would talk about the need for clean air and clean water because that's something certainly something that touches everyone, regardless of where you sit on the political spectrum, doesn't matter Democrat or Republican. And those are the things that I talked about, and I think that there were some voters in there, certainly because of fourteen percent over performance that that resonated with. But I think that the way that we can once again win elections in state like Iowa is through genuine economic population them what I call cerry populism.
Speaker 1: This episode of the Chuck Podcast is brought to you by Wildgrain. Wildgrain is the first bake from Frozen subscription box for our teasonal breads, seasonal pastries, and fresh pastas, plus all items conveniently bake in twenty five minutes or less. Unlike many store bought options, Wild Grain uses simple ingredients you can pronounce and a slow fermentation process that can be easier on your belly and richer in nutrients and antioxidants. Wildgrain's boxes are fully customizable. They're constantly adding seasonal and limited time products for you to enjoy. In addition to their classic box, they now feature a gluten free box and a plant based box. I checked out the gluten free box and let me tell you they have a gluten free sourdough bread.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: We got two loads of it and we've done one loaf already. It's a cranberry and almond sourdough bread. It's like the best raisin bread you've ever had, except it's not raisin. It's great. You're gonna love this. You know it's hit or miss if you mess around in the gluten free bread world.
Speaker 2: This is a hit.
Speaker 1: Seriously, I was impressed, So look for a limited time. Wild Grain is offering our listeners thirty dollars off your first box plus free croissants in every box when you go to wildgrain dot com slash podcast. To start your subscription, follow these instructions. Free croissants in every box thirty dollars off your first box when you go to wildgrain dot com slash toodcast that's wildgrain dot com slash toodcast. Or simply use the promo code toodcast at check out. Always use the code get the discount. I'm telling you it's excellent, excellent bread. So I've had some interesting conversations with a couple of with the South Dakota former South Dakota Democrat who is running for the US Senate.
Speaker 2: Now is an independent.
Speaker 1: I had Rob sand on this podcast a few months ago and he said something. I said, why are you running?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: He talked about the problems of the Democratic brand, and I'd say, so, why are you running as a Democrat? And he said, well, if there was another way, maybe I would run as an independent, but this is the most viable way to get on the ballot. The South Dakota Independent made the case. He said, the reason he's running as an independent set of a Democrat is that there are some people that won't listen to his pitch if they find out he is a D next to his name, and the minute he doesn't have a D next to his name, he's suddenly having these conversations with a whole bunch of voters going, yeah, I agree with you, Yes, I agree with you, Yes, I agree with you. Does the D next to your name? What happens when somebody says, hey, I like what you're saying, but why do you have a D next to your name? What's your answer to that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm really really clear of why I have a D next to my name. I'm always reminded of the quote from John F. Kennedy when he said, you know, why are you a liberal? Why are you a Democrat? And it's because I believe in looking forward not backwards. That I believe in and I care about people's jobs, about people's health care, about people's schools. This is why, ultimately I'm a integrammer. I say that I have two north stars politically. The first is a quote from Franklin delan and Roosevelt, which I think is the greatest president of the twentieth century and also the only disabled president that we've ever had, And he said that the test of our progress of a society is not whether we add more to those with abundance, but whether we have enough to those with the least. And then the other would be Matthew twenty five forty, which is, you know, as Jesus said, what you do to the least among you, that you also do to me, And that, to me is the essence of what a democrat is. Is that we care about people's schools and jobs, in livelihoods, and healthcare. And that is really really clear of why I'm a Democrat. I don't think necessarily that Iowa is like these other states and that you get out of the urban communities, and the term democrat or democratic is a pejorative. I think we have a very very long history of being a progressive state. Third state to legalize gay marriage.
Speaker 1: I say, I have a friend of mine that refers to Iowa as the organ of the Midwest. We used to do that about ten years ago. A little less so lately, given that it's been a little less purple, although I still think Iowa just was uniquely open to Trump at a period of time when this economy was just transitioning. I suspect Iowa was going to go back to its swing swinginess pretty soon.
Speaker 3: I mean, we could certainly get into one of the reasons why Iowa has shifted more than almost any other state over the last ten years.
Speaker 1: And there's no state with more Obama to Trump counties, no state. They're all in eastern Iowa. It's fascinating.
Speaker 3: You are absolutely correct. But here here's what I've said. I've said that Iowa is a common sense state that has masquerrated as a red state. And for you, you have to remember that for thirty years we had we voted for Senator Harken, and that he ended in twenty fourteen. That's not that long ago. But even more recently, in Trump's first midterm twenty eighteen, we won three of the four congressional seats, and we were only three points away from winning every single one of the congressional races. And I actually feel even more energy and excitement right now for chance, particularly in the rural communities which they have just been absolutely decimated and betrayed by the tariffs and where the commodities prices are. You go to even more recent history. Twenty twenty two, we were only one point five percent away from having three of our six state wide officials being Democrats. That means the average Iowa voter went in there in twenty twenty two and voted for three Democrats and three Republicans. We are not a red state. We're a common sense state that has masqueraded more than what we actually are. And because everything has perfectly aligned and we needed about ten things to happen, but the fact that we've got, for the first time since nineteen sixty eight, an open Senate race, and an open governor's race and two open congressional races. I really do believe that Iowa was the center of the political universe in twenty twenty six, and you were going to see the state shift.
Speaker 1: I've had some say to me, let me curious what you think of this, And I'm probably playing to the crowds on this one, which is the Iowa Democratic Party got a little too Deminish and not enough everywhere else that it was almost too concentrated in Des Moines. Do you accept that premise? Do you think that was part of the problem over the last decade.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that the not not only in Iowa, but I think nationally, I think the party has has lost touch with the plights of real Americans or the middle class or just the average worker.
Speaker 2: We're all real America.
Speaker 1: Other way, I always get a little sensitive to that in fairness, urban Americans in rural America. But I think what you're trying to say, and what I would say when I would say this and I got and I'd.
Speaker 2: Fall into the same trap so I didn't mean.
Speaker 1: To which is it's really rural America that Democrats just stopped showing up in and it's showing up. This is why they've been alienated from rural America. It's not that they've like, if you'd show up, they'd have no problem. But this is where I think micro targeting and the quote efficiency of use of dollars. Well, there's more Democrats in the urban area. You got to get out the got to get out the base vote. And you're like, yeah, but if you shave three points in rural America, then you have a better shot at urban America, putting you over the finish line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that that has certainly been a miscalculation. First, I would say two things. I would say, you know, quote having done this and winning in very very red areas, I say that the right candidate with the right message and the right work ethic, you can win in these red environments because I've got the electoral experience that that that I've I've done it, and the quality of candidacy can't be understated on that. I would also say that part of the calculus is we do need candidates that are going to be willing to go out there and go into all ninety nine counties and go into all these small communities. I think for far too long here in Iowa, over the last ten years, we've had candidates say, well, we're going to maximize turnout in Polk County and Johnson County and Lynn County, and that's how we're going to win. But ultimately, where a rules state, and it may not make a fundamental difference in the outcomes in the statehouse races, but we've got to trim the margins and we've got to get out there and we've got to talk to Republicans in these and independence in these rural communities and explain why we're different. But we certainly can do that. I mean, we have the opportunity. In the messaging I've been able to prove it.
Speaker 1: You've already sort of touched on this issue that I sort of discovered in twenty.
Speaker 2: Gosh, I think it was. It was I did a whole.
Speaker 1: I think it was in twenty twenty one, twenty twenty two, we went out to eastern Iowa to talk about sort of what happened to you know, where did all the Democrats go in eastern Iowa? And I was in Decora and in some of these towns, and most of what we heard was simply, you know, the only Democrat that showed up in twenty twenty was Pete Bouda Diute. You know, nobody else did. And you're like, well, no, wonder he overperformed, right, you know. Now there was sort of a comfort level for him. He was already a Midwesterner, so there was this, you know, and he was sort of a fish out of water in South Bend. And when you start out as thinking of yourself as a fish out of water, you sometimes overwork, right, And so he went to all these places. But the other thing I discovered was there was a lot of bullishness that well, Democrats are going to be able to make a comeback because of what was happening in the schools. And it comes to the sort of the choicification. I guess of pub of public schools all over the country. I was sort of following a blue print that Florida has in some of these other states in the South. And the problem that I think Texas Republicans are running into Iowa Republicans are running into is school choice sounds great, but when you live where the closest school is thirty is within, you know, the next clos to school is thirty miles away, what choice do you have? And so suddenly you're not fixing my school, but you've given me choice to go find an alternative thirty miles away or I have to homeschool my kids. Walk me through the choicification of the Iowa public school system right now and how it did work and how it's working.
Speaker 2: At the moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is certainly it was a point of personal pride for all Iowans. We were number one in education.
Speaker 1: Always Massachusetts in the east, Iowa and the Midwest, and I think it would be like get out West.
Speaker 2: Those were always the three big, you know.
Speaker 3: Great states for public schools, and this is why people were moving here. Our test scores were the highest in the nation, and we prioritize that even when we put out our state quarter.
Speaker 2: It was it was about the quality of our education.
Speaker 3: And now, unfortunately, we have seen a precipitous drop and now we're down to the middle of the pack on this issue. Depending on the metric you're using, twenty six or even thirty two, what's the drops.
Speaker 1: We spend it on testing, it's un testing and all across the board.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, tes testing scores predominantly is where you're seeing it. But one of the reasons is because we're no longer prioritizing this or funding this. We now spend twelve hundred dollars less than the national average per pupil here in Iowa and in the Iowa legislature. Unfortunately, now with what we've seen with vouchers, last year, we gave our public schools a two percent increase and we gave our private schools a forty four percent increase in funding. And in what you're seeing is you're seeing rural schools that are legitimately struggling and closing and it I mean, it's it's it's very very serious. When these rural communities, you only have really four pillars of these rural community and that would be your rural pharmacies, which are closing, and then you're seeing rural schools closing due to the lack of funding, and we're giving private schools and there are no private schools in these rural communities.
Speaker 1: No, And what you potentially do is you you almost incentivize some bad actors who try to open up sort of you know, essentially government funded private schooling where they get tax.
Speaker 2: Breaks and all this stuff.
Speaker 1: They grab the money and they don't give your kid a good education and there's nobody there to make sure they're following the rules. Or you get parents start homeschooling, and that's hard.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I think many a parent wants to do that well and in a dream world in some ways somebody you know, But it's not as easy as you make it out to me. And I admire those that do it, but it's hard.
Speaker 3: It ain't easy, absolutely, and there are so many rural communities now that are struggling with this. And even more egregiously is that we can't audit the schools and so there's no regulation on what they teach. There's no regulation in terms of it. It's your tax dollars being used there. You go your tax dollars and yet then there's no standard on testing. They can spend the money how they want. They can spend it on pupils, they can spend it on football equipment if they want. And then most most egregiously for me, is there's no discrimination policies in place, and so if a kid needs an IEP or he has a visible disability or whatever his situation is, the private schools can say no, sorry, we can't take you, which just puts that onus more on the public schools which are having less and less funding, right and department.
Speaker 1: This is one thing people always ask, what does the National Department of Education do help public schools with the funding so that they can provide services to students who may need some extra help in order.
Speaker 3: To get particularly with those with disabilities and special education.
Speaker 1: It's always been a foundational support. So you get rid of this, and where's this going to go? I mean, I hate to be politically cynical about this, but I think this has opened the door to having a different conversation in rural America than Democrats have been having over the last decade.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean this is just kind of, unfortunately a perfect storm in these rural communities where you're just you're you're seeing young people not stick around. As I was saying before, you've got four pillars in these rural communities. You've got the rural pharmacy. That's an interesting issue, you're right, I mean rural pharmacies. They're being hurt by the PBMs. And then you've got your public your schools which are closing because of the lack of funding, and we're putting the funding towards the private schools where you're only in the urban areas. And then you've got rural hospitals. And in a place like Iowa, you've got two and five is ones in the rural communities that are on Medicaid. In the last five years, we have closed thirty one nursing home skilled nursing facilities in rural hospitals due to lack of reimbursement and lack of FUNDA. It is really hurting these these communities. Then you exasperate that with what we're seeing on the tariffs and the commodities prices, where these you know, we're losing our family farms and you're seeing farm suicides and foreclosure rates that are going up. I mean, we really is moving us into almost a a second farm crisis of what we saw in the in the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, where are you on tariffs?
Speaker 1: Because I think that you know, in Iowa famously, you know, you know, ag tariffs were you'd be in one some some politicians would be on one side of the aisle for against all tariffs on ag because that was such a huge export. But then on manufacturing you'd have you know, particularly a Tom Harkett might be for some of these tariffs. Maybe it's on washing machines or dishwashers because those things used to be made. You know, there was a time that certain towns were known not by their name but by the plant. Right, Oh, it's a maytag town, right, you know you'd have that, or oh it's a it's a popcorn town, or it's a popcorn popping plant. And where are you? You know, do you think all tariffs are bad? When are there tariffs that are out there that you support? Where do you put yourself on the issue.
Speaker 3: No, I would tend to agree with you. I mean, certainly not all tariffs are bad. I think you can make the argument that at least in the manufacturing sector, to have some level of parody or competition they can be valuable, but certainly what we're seeing right now with this chaotic terriffs where you know you're seeing shifts from from day to day, and you know one day it's one hundred percent tariffs, and they have really really hurt the gag communities, and that's being doubled down where Trump's giving forty billion dollars to Argentina to bail them out so that the Chinese can buy their soybeans. Meanwhile, our farmers are left there to hold the bag and they're upside down on their soybeans. It really really is hurting our bag communities. And I think that when I'm out there and I've been out to a lot of farms, we're hearing farmers that are really really concerned that we've already lost a majority of our family farms and what few remain out there. Yeah, suicide rates are three times higher than what they were over the last two years. Foreclosure rates are double what they were last year. It's it's moving us towards the farm crisis, and this has been a self inflicted womb due to this chaotic nature of the tariffs. I believe that tariffs should be as the as the founders of the Constitution intended with the power of the legislature much like the power of the purse.
Speaker 1: So one of the things that frustrates longtime Iowan's is the idea it's a shrinking population state, right that the I remember when when you know that there have been multiple governors who said, you know, my goal is to you know, I'm during the heyday of the public school system. Hey, we're educating all these kids and they're leaving. You know, they're they're leaving the state. They're not staying. What's the what's your plan to get more folks to want to stay in Iowa? What's the job what's the job market looked like the next thirty years in Iowa? And what is what should Iowa be an investing in to make it to make it such a because it's always been seen as a pretty livable, right, it's a it's a very livable place to moin in particular, so you know, if you're looking for a small city but want city life, the Moin's about as affordable a place as you can live in the Midwest. But what's the next what are the next thirty years of jobs look like in Iowa? Because I do think Iowans are nervous about the future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they certainly are.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, we're the only state in the last one hundred years that hasn't doubled in population size. And even for the for the young people that we have, oftentimes we're educating them and then they go on. The first thing is we've we've we've got to start going the right direction, particularly in rural communities. As I said, you know, we've we've got to have a healthcare system in place. We're basically dead last right now in Iowa for every single economic metric, I mean, for all intents and purposes, we're already in a recession. We've seen a six percent reduction in GDP, We're forty ninth in terms of economic growth, forty eight out of fifty in terms of individual purchasing in economic growth. By every single healthcare metric, we're basically dead last. Rural hospitals, obgyns, mental health providers, mental health reimbursements. You have to have these systems in place to want for this to be a livable situation as well if you want people to move here to Iowa. So I agree, it's a beautiful state when all around the world. I love Iowa. It's great, Iowa nice, it's affordable even, you know, it's amazing place. But you've got to have these systems in place, from education and healthcare, and also what we're seeing with some of these social issues where we've moved to a six week abortion ban and in some of these culture war issues where we've just not made this state very welcoming to a lot of individuals. And you know, it's interesting doing on immigration as wells it made it less welcoming to immigrant communities.
Speaker 1: There's a reason results matter more than promises, just like there's a reason Morgan and Morgan is America's largest injury law firm. For the last thirty five years, they've recovered twenty five billion dollars for more than half a million clients. It includes cases where insurance companies offered next to nothing, just hoping to get away with paying as little as possible. Morgan and Morgan fought back ended up winning millions. In fact, in Pennsylvania, one client was awarded twenty six million dollars, which was a staggering forty times the amount that the insurance company originally offered. That original offer six hundred and fifty thousand dollars twenty six million, six hundred and fifty thousand dollars. So with more than one thousand lawyers across the country, they know how to deliver for everyday people. If you're injured, you need a lawyer, you need somebody to get your back. Check out for the People dot com, Slash podcast, or dial pound Law Pound five to nine law on your cell phone. And remember all law firms are not the same. So check out Morgan and Morgan. Their fee is free unless they win. You know, it's interesting with with Iowa and how it's gotten sideways and cultural issues is that, you know, my father grew up the you know, the Midwest Methodist, which means, you know, I always joke Methodists are you know, people who are Christians but don't want to talk about it. You know, but but you know, meaning like you know, your your faith is your faith.
Speaker 2: You don't wear it on your sleeve.
Speaker 1: What you wear in your sleeve is your values, right, it's it's you know, your values is being good to your neighbor, empathy, things like that. And yet there's this perception that i was a very religious state. And yet I did see something recently that compared to the rest of the Midwest, it is actually has the least. It's it's on a downward trajectory of people that go every week to some sort of religious service. What is What have you discussed out there campaigning statewide?
Speaker 3: I mean, most states are on a downward trajectory in terms of that, but I still think that I was is a religious state. I think the most recent numbers I had seen was sixty five percent of Violins still a ten church on a regular basis or would define themselves as Christian or members of religious organization. And certainly that's something that I'm going to incorporate in this campaign. I'm somebody that has born and raised and proudly spiritual and would define myself as is a Christian in the true sense of the word.
Speaker 2: And I'm going to go out there.
Speaker 3: There's three things that Republicans that have, as I feel like they've had a stranglehold on, that they're not going to be able to use against me. The first is hard work, because every single part of my story from overcoming economic situations, the healthcare situations that I've gone through, also to win Gold Medals, but then even to win my election, a very very deeply read district.
Speaker 2: Going out there.
Speaker 3: Every single day and dragging my wheelchair upstairs has been about hard work. The second is I think that Republicans have felt like they've been able to have a stranglehold on patriotism. And I'm someone that is deeply patriotic. I love Iowa, I love my country. I have proudly represented the United States in four Paralympic Games and one gold medals, and so I don't think they'll be able to use that. And the third is, as we were talking about with this, is on spirituality or on religion. I feel like there has been this push that if you're a Democrat you cannot be religious or spiritual, if you're a Christian, you must have to be Republican. And I'm going to go out there and actively talk about, you know, Matthew twenty five forty, and that the true message of Jesus is taking care of the most vulnerable in society and the poor and the elderly and the disabled. It's one of the main reasons why I am a Democrat.
Speaker 1: Let me go through a few questions that you're look, you know that could get WEAPONI against you, fair, unfair. The issue of trans sports and access? What what what should that? What's fair to the trans community when it comes to access to organized sports, school, college, et cetera. I mean I say this and I feel like you actually have a in some ways of a better you know, you benefited from having access.
Speaker 2: For for adaptive sports.
Speaker 1: So what's the right I don't know if there's a right answer. What do you think is the right way to think about this issue?
Speaker 3: I mean the first is I think we need to be empathetic on this issue. I mean, the children that are involved in this, they're they're really in a no win situation. Is somebody that you know has gone through a lot of bullying and adversity in my life, you know, being different with the disability.
Speaker 2: We need to recognize.
Speaker 3: That, you know, sports is a unique area of dedicated a lot of my life to this, and we certainly need fairness and involved in this. However, I would say that, you know, I have personal experience with this. I actually I wanted to try out for my team in high school and play basketball, and yet there was an equipment rule that prevented me from being able to play. And yet it was not my congressman, or my mayor or my senator that was making the decision on this issue. It was the sports governing bodies. And so my position on this is that this should be decided by the sports governing bodies.
Speaker 2: And politicians shouldn't be involved in this conversation. I don't. I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think my position is a United States senator I should be involved in this, that it should be Should a high school principal have to make sports governing bodies? I don't think it should be left up to local control. I think you leave it up to sports governing bodies.
Speaker 1: Socialism versus capitalism. You know the excitement that the progressives have about the victory of Zoon Mamdani, he's a self described democratic socialist. There's the every political party claims they're a big tent when they have people in there that that they that not everybody agrees, and I get that, But where are you on socialism versus capitalism? And I ask a plurality the most recent NBC News poll, it's a poll that I'm very familiar with, and I know it's really well done. Democrats were the only group that had a net positive rating on socialism and a net negative rating on capitalism. A Why do you think that is and where do you put yourself on that spectrum?
Speaker 3: Well, I would define myself as a capitalist. I think capitalism is the greatest vehicle ever devised by man to be able to generate capital. However, it's very inefficient at being able to divide that that capitalis. So I'm certainly not a las Fair capitalist. I think that you know, you need a regulated capitalism and a progressive taxation rate. I mean, honestly, when something's been fascinating to me, again representing very red district, and you talk, I'm not talking most exclusive Republicans, this whole entire MAGA movement make America Great Again. Well, what they're talking about with that is they're talking about America post World two, arguably at our zenith. And I'm sure and preaching the choir to you on this, but when you're talking about America post World two nineteen fifties, you're talking about the where we had the most amount of union membership and the strengths of our unions, and the unions built the middle class. But we also had the most progressive taxation rate. That was when the highest earners were paying a marginalized tax rate of ninety one percent and during the Eisenhearer administration and the largest corporations where we're paying fifty one percent, and we've eroded that we are literally living through a second Gilded Age right now in this country. And it has I mean all the way back to John Edwards when he talked about we're living in two Americas, the haves and the have nots, and it was a.
Speaker 1: Bit of had that speech is funny when you think about that speech. He gave an four and oh eight constantly and being in Iowa and right, you heard it a millillion times. We all heard it. You know, we live into Americas.
Speaker 2: We are now, we are living in it's more.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say the speech, weirdly is more resident now than it was then.
Speaker 3: If you make over one hundred thousand dollars right now, I think you're feeling pretty good.
Speaker 1: And especially a little money in the stock market, you're like, hey, this is great, my savings is working for me.
Speaker 2: But what if you don't have savings?
Speaker 3: That's right, but you can't have a more disconnected The disconnect between Wall Street and Main Street can't be more clear, And it really is the haves and the have nots and and there's too many people right now in Iowa right now that are in the have not section that are struggling just to keep food on the table and pay their bills, and struggling with affordability of healthcare and pharmaceuticals and all of it. And this is what we need. We need a genuine prairie populist. And you know, we used to have prairie populous We no longer in the US have those because we don't have senators from Iowa and the Dakotas in Nebraska. And we need somebody that's going to go out there and fight for the people.
Speaker 1: The issue of climate change is thing that's really important to a certain subset. Look do I think it should be important to a large subset of hepe, but but politically it's important to a smaller subset these days. And I'm sure you're getting plenty of advice that says, hey, don't you know these issues, these are not these are not front and center. And yet I think rising electric bills, the data centers that are that are going to be going online, that are going to impact our ability to that are basically going to a competition for electricity, which is inevitably is going to raise rates. Is there is there a way to be sort of to to mitigate the damage coming from extreme weather and at the same time not look like you're coming out against the economy.
Speaker 3: If you get my drift, I think, like with most things, how I define myself as a common sense I mean, one, yeah, certainly climate change exists, and it's and it's happening in where you may see those effects most most directly is actually in the Eag commune and where we're seeing.
Speaker 1: Okay, southwest Iowa, the flooding, you know, one hundred year floods that come every couple of years.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's it's the flooding, it's the extreme heat. And then when you're seeing these rain showers which which are just coming down in torrents and knocking down the road crops. It is affecting us in a very very serious way. And also Iowa we have always been a leaders in renewable fuels, renewable energy. We have the second most amount of our energy grid that is from renewable energy, the most of the vast majority of that is through wind. And I think that there's a way where we can address this without uh without stifling growth or innovation or or the economy. And certainly one of the best ways is certainly through that through through wind energy, and continuing those incentives and subsidies through the through the federal government, certainly at the state level.
Speaker 1: Two, being a US senator means you're going to be dabbling more informed policy than the campaign itself will be about. And I imagine if a foreign policy issue comes up, it's going to be the issue of Israel. Where are you on US support for Israel?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, certainly, I'm hopeful that we're going to see a peaceful end too that I think we're all hopeful for that. What has happened there in Gaza has been horrific. The amount of loss of life into civilians and two children, it really has been horrific. I think that Israel certainly had the right to defend itself, but I think that now the response is certainly, by any metric, been disproportionate. And I think that we need to make sure that any sort of support or arm cells comes with the insurance that we're adhering to international law.
Speaker 2: You put a little more a few more guardrails on arm.
Speaker 3: Sales, Yeah, particularly put particularly on offensive weapons.
Speaker 1: And as you crane our fight, what would you say to somebody, is that our fight? And if it is, why is it our fight? In your in your words, I.
Speaker 2: Think it's I think there's certainly a distinction there.
Speaker 3: I think that what's happened is they they have been invaded by but an authoritarian regime with with Putin, and I think that that is one of the examples where we should probably stand in in in and fight with them and uh, because.
Speaker 2: That that is, that is a distinction they have.
Speaker 3: That is a sovereign country that has been invaded by a foreign power, and and that is that is an area where we should.
Speaker 1: Support one that might be a little closer to home. College sports, it is gone through dramatic changes.
Speaker 2: Iowa was on the halves.
Speaker 1: I worry that Iowa state, where my grandparents both got degrees. By the way, are their cyclone alums there They might be have nots because they're in one conference and I was in a super conference. There's always been this talk that Congress is going to have to get involved.
Speaker 2: Do you think they need to?
Speaker 1: And as somebody who's you know, look, you know, one side of the state loves their Hawkeyes.
Speaker 2: The other side of state loves their cyclones. But the fact is Iowa State is is is.
Speaker 1: Essentially getting punished because Texas left the Big twelve. Is there a role here for the Senate? And do you think there should be?
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm i'm I'm I'm torn.
Speaker 3: I maybe sports should be separate, But I do know the history of the n c a A. You know, one of the reasons why that was created was just because of with football, we are seeing all all the violence in the you know, unfortunate even loss of life early on.
Speaker 1: Sure they were trying to wring Teddy Roosevelt. It basically was created you know, by ted in order to.
Speaker 3: Say that that is exactly correct. I mean what we're seeing with the the n I L. I mean we this this is just turned into the las A fair there and there's no regulation, and I think honestly that they missed an opportunity. You know, my brother and sister both played professional able body basketball. My sister had a brief cup of coffee with the WNBA, and so they both were four year starters. My brother at Nebraska, my sister at L. Robert University, and they honestly, they struggled just to have money just to do their laundry.
Speaker 2: And we missed an.
Speaker 3: Opportunity there to find some happy medium where we could at least take care of our athletes or at least that they had some level of control over their name, image and likeness. But what we're seeing now, which is millions and millions of dollars dumping into this and no guardrails and no regulation, it may be a need for the Senate or for the government to get involved.
Speaker 1: Do you get a sense that Iowa State, basically partisans are nervous that you know that suddenly you know, if Io and Iowa State can't play every year because of the financial demands of the Big ten that want them playing in other games like that, that is something that's really good at tick Off Islands.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just it's it's it's interesting. It's almost I feel like our college sports has almost moved into what we're seeing with UH, with our country and our economics, where we've got a handful we've got a handful of these, and with football in particular, it's the SEC and it's the Big ten that are the haves and they've got all the TV money and those are just going to continue to generate more and more fun.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a monopoly. It's not even a meritocracy. It feels like a monopoly. And that's of course what what what we're seeing here with AI and and and what we're seeing with the big tech in the moment.
Speaker 3: Correct And I mean look again to get back to us talking about the second as being in Gilded Age at least one hundred years ago. In the first guilded Age, Uh, we had legislators that stood, that stood up to this and to the Rockefellers and the Vanderbilts and and the JP Morgans, and we we broke up standard oil, and we know, we recognize that these monopolies were no good for society to have one percent controlling all the economic wealth. And of that Gilded Age, we ended up coming up with Franklin Delan and Roosevelt and the New Deal and you know, the advent of social security and social safety nets for individuals. I'm hopeful that this is an opportunity here for us in this country, and particularly in this upcoming election, for us to make that shift and to to to actually have more people that are going to be genuine populous. They're going to fight for the middle class and fight for economic populism and we can change our country.
Speaker 2: All right, totally.
Speaker 1: Easy questions for you know, he's got the best. Who's who's going to be the best college basketball team from Iowa this year? Who's going to go the furthest in the tournament?
Speaker 2: I would probably guess the Hawk guys is that.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, i Awowa State doesn't have as good of a ball.
Speaker 2: Club this year.
Speaker 3: They may they they may it's.
Speaker 2: But I'll say who I think is going to go furthest in the in the tournament? I think the Hawk guys.
Speaker 3: However, I'll say this Drake Man, oh Man, They've they've had they've had good results with at least making the tournament, which is drink.
Speaker 2: And you and I.
Speaker 1: There's some pretty good supposed mid major teams right now, that is right.
Speaker 3: I mean half the battles just get into the tournament. I mean that that has been also interesting too with this shift in sports on the on the football you've seen more of but have and have not actually on the basketball side of things. I think you can make the argument where some of these teams, because you're seeing guys that are going in there and they're just staying for one year and then they're entering the transfer pooral or the better athletes are going off to the NBA. I think you can make the argument that some of these mid majors that are able to keep their guys for three or four or five years, they're able to compete in an interesting way against these you know, the Havels so.
Speaker 1: Seniors four years guys that grow up together for four years in the same program. One hundred percent. I'm a which at GW matters. That's that's our plan, that's the GW blueprint. That's how they think we can we can be the next you know, the next Gonzaga, the next Wichita State, right r that can pop in there. Let me get you out of here on this. What's uh on the NBA level? Who's your favorite basketball player to watch?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm I'm a big fan of Jo Kich what he's been able to do.
Speaker 1: You like that, you like the the the high IQ player, right.
Speaker 3: I just kind of like unicorns. I just like watching anything at the very highest level. I'm a shooter, you know. I mean, I think I had said to you, I in my collegiate career four thousand career points sixty three points in the game.
Speaker 2: Uh so that was always my skill set.
Speaker 3: So watching somebody like Steph Curry that has been able to master that that unique skills the.
Speaker 1: Mayor Fred Hoiberg, right, he was a big shooter back in his day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, Yeah, of course.
Speaker 3: But I mean it's like these the viduals that are able to do it in a in a very unique way at a high level. In Yo Kich, particularly with his physical appearance and you know, as he's just kind of lumbering down the court, but that level of coordination that he that he has, it really is it's it's sensation.
Speaker 2: I really love watching him.
Speaker 1: It's such a high flying sport. To see him not get an inch off the ground is fantastic. It's my favorite gree I love that.
Speaker 2: Who's your goat for the NBA? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Who do you put in the goat? Do you have a goat? Do you have a hot take? Goat between Jordan Lebron, I got a hot take that involves Magic Johnson. But that's my hot take or you know.
Speaker 3: Well, here I will tell you my goat, but I'll tell you my Mount Rushmore, my goat without a doubt is Jordan. I mean as a kid watching growing up watching him play six championships, six and zero. But I also think you can make the argument for someone like Bill Russell eleven championships in thirteen years. I don't know if we'll ever see anything like that. Wilt Chamberlain. I mean, if you just look at the individual stat lines, he averaged fifty points in a season, scoring over one hundred.
Speaker 1: And was one of the greatest volleyball players of all time as well, by the way, without a doubt.
Speaker 3: I mean, this was a guy that for a season actually averaged more minutes than even an NBA game has average, like forty eight point three minutes in the game. Those would be those would be the ones that would be up there for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Josh, this was great. Good luck out there. I mean, are you any questions quickly hit me up.
Speaker 3: What do you think about Iowa? I mean, like you, I mean, you're you're You're as close to this as is almost anybody. You're seeing this unique opportunity that we've got, you know, first time since nineteen sixty eight, open governor's race, open race, two open congressional races. In Trump's first midterm, we won three of the four and we've got a great candidate with somebody like Rob sand that is similar to me in terms of leaning into the middle. What do you think about Iowa and us being the center of the political universe or this being a fundamental change in our electorate.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it is one of those where if if the Democrats want to be a national party, and I would argue that they've not been a national party since Obama and the and this sort of the got taken over by a consultant class that got I've always said, you know, analytics was a you know, the analytics revolution that hit politics and sports and all this stuff where people let data drive decisions. Sometimes data can be exclusive, meaning it excludes people because it's efficiencies that analytics is looking for. Well, we found out the efficiencies of baseball made the game suck and so we had to like get a and the efficiencies of politics actually made got rid of persuasion. We start the art of persuasion. Iowa only works with persuasion, right. It's why the caucuses, I think are such a unique thing and why Iowans took it. Seriously, I'm sorry, the Democratic Party only views Iowa through an identity issue, and I think that is what offended some islands. I really believe that that when the Democratic Party nationally said, you know, I was too white, Well what do you think that said to the resident?
Speaker 2: You don't want us in your club? Okay?
Speaker 1: And then you wonder, oh, well, now I was out of range. Well you just told eighty percent of the population you didn't want them involved because they were too white. It was a strange, and I know that isn't I understood what the DNC was trying to say. But anyway, look, I'm I think that if not now, when, right, if the Iowa Democrats can't make a comeback in this environment, under these circumstances, with everything that's there, right, if it doesn't happen, the party's brand is even in worse shape than I thought. I look at Iowa as this test if the Democrats are and I most look, I'm a believer. I live in history, So everything is cyclical, right, It just is. You know, Harkin first got elected in the seventy four Watergate class, right, and it was Iowa had a very Republican reputation before then. And that's sort of when sort of the Iowa Democrats started to to get more competitive.
Speaker 2: But it is a if.
Speaker 1: If there isn't success this time, then it is not your fault or Rob's fault, or or the fault of the folks on the ground. It really is the national brand, right if you can, if you can rebrand an Iowa Democrat is something that isn't associated with the national party. I think you have a boxer's chance because if you but you have to show up everywhere in the beauty of Iowa. Is it's kind of expected, right, the ninety nine counties, the fact that everybody that covers not Iowa politics, even if you're not from Iowa.
Speaker 2: You know there are ninety nine counties.
Speaker 1: Do you know how many other states people know that they're the number of counties are in that state outside of people that live.
Speaker 2: In that state. Nowhere right, Iowa has it.
Speaker 1: And so I do think, you know, for whatever reason, you just had a and I think if you look at the leadership of the Democratic Party, it's too coastal.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It wasn't that long ago that the Democratic Party was first that had a Senate Democratic leader from South Dakota, and then it was replaced by a Senate Democratic leader who was born and raised in rural Nevada. Like, literally the towns are outside of Vegas. There are five of them that exist, right, I'm being a little facetious, So you know, this is one of those things where literally the Democratic Party left Iowa. Iowa didn't leave the Democratic Party. And we'll find out if Iowans are open to this version of the party. But I look at it, I think what's happened with the schools and the funding cuts.
Speaker 2: I hear it from a lot of.
Speaker 1: My friends in rural Iowa about how you know, even if culturally they were supportive of the idea of private schools and there was the skepticism of the public schools, the way this is work doesn't work for people, right. Ultimately, people want their local school to work and they want to have a say over their local school, right, they want both things. So look, I mean, I'm I'm biased. I've spent a lot of time in Iowa. My my wife worked in Iowa. We've you know, we both care about the state a lot. Like I said, I've got more family buried in Iowa than any of the state in the Union. So I've always taken pride on what sort of a bipartisan state. It's always has been, and it was always a point of pride. My father's was a big conservative, grew up in Waterloo. It was a point of pride that Iowa was this swing state. That's right, because Iowan's worry about the person at the party, and there was always that there was a bit of a there was always pride in that the independent streak of Iowa. So look, I'm a I'm bullish in theory, but you got to have good candidates.
Speaker 2: Without a doubt.
Speaker 3: This is one of the things that I've learned representing, you know, such a red district, is this comes down to right candidate, right message, and that message is genuine economic ti mat Yeah, and in the right work ethic, I think you can win.
Speaker 2: And we do.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're basically dead last by every single economic and health care and as you said, this is a huge opportunity. But it's a lot of responsibility we get this right because if we cannot win in this environment, then this state may be gone for a generation.
Speaker 2: And yeah, because.
Speaker 1: If Republicans can win in this environment, then then they're going to govern for quite some time. I Mean, I don't know if you've spent much time with Mike Frankin in the race he ran. You know, he was just totally I mean, you want to talk about identity politics, just eliminating him from consideration by the national Party. And it turned out he was the stronger candidate because he won the primary despite the National Party supporting somebody else. So what I would say is be careful when that when you think the national parties on your side, they don't always make the smartest decisions.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 3: In the other thing that you said that one hundred percent agree with is that we've got to make our own identity of what is an Iowa Democrat. I think that one of the one of the advantages that like a state above us in Minnesota has had is they've been able to make the distinction with we are the arm and Labor party. And I think that if we had that ability to say we are the party of the American class, that.
Speaker 1: John who says you have to keep the name Iowa Democrats, who says you can't become the Iowa Democratic Farm Labor I mean, I you know, I've had a few people ask me this and I'm like, yeah, I you know, rebrand if the part if the Democrats are going to be a coalition party and most look, we're we're a country two parties. Nobody goes to the store and only takes and there's only two choices of t shirt sizes, extra small and extra large. Right, Like the idea that we try to squeeze everybody into two parties is absurd. We probably should be a four or a four party system. I think it would frankly sort of ease the ease some of the tension inside both parties. You know where you have these giant where the tent is so big it rips a hole in the middle, right, And that's kind of what I think has happened to the Democrats.
Speaker 2: You've got these.
Speaker 1: Pro democracy Extrapublicans on one side, and you've got the Bernie Sanders Democratic social on the other. And they only agree on one thing, Trump is bad for democracy.
Speaker 2: Other than that, they've got nothing else in common. That's a tough.
Speaker 1: Coalition to win with on bread and butter issues. And I don't know why other state parties haven't actually followed the lead of Minnesota. Now, Minnesota, there used to be separate parties. There was a Democratic Party, and there was a farm Labor Party and then they merged. That's sort of the history of that. But I've been surprised, Like, if I were an Idaho Democrat, I just rebranded the party the Idaho Freedom Party or something, you know, where you know, sometimes words you know are words you don't use anymore in certain locations. Okay, move on, your ideas can still work.
Speaker 3: It is interesting though, because we were I think we're seeing a schism actually on both parties. I mean, the Democrats, as you indicated, are but you also see this amongst classical conservatives and also what is a maga Republican and.
Speaker 1: So divide, you know, Josh, that divide existed before. It just was so dormant during the Cold War. The isolationist wing, you know, which was borderline xenophobic back in the nineteen thirties, and they were like, hey, we're not going to get involved in other people's wars. And they were the ones that held the Americans back from participating in World War Two until it came to our shores. Right, we wouldn't have gotten involved until it hit us because that Republican Party was more trumpy in the FDR era than Eisenhower.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And then the Eisenhower to Romney, run of Republicans. They were all sort of internationalists, and yet they're the Yeah, I don't think they're dead.
Speaker 2: They're just in hibernation at that wing of the party. I enjoyed this.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for good to get to know you.