Speaker 1: It's the most wonderful time of the year for getting in on all the hoops, the football, the hockey action. At Draft Kings Sportsbook in the season of Giving, we're being gifted college football and college basketball, pro football and pro basketball, pro hockey two almost twenty four to seven. And here's the gift for all new customers. Bet five dollars to get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets if your bet wins, download the Draft King Sports Book gapp use the code Bobby Sports. That's the code Bobby Sports for new customers to get one hundred fifty dollars in bonus bets if your bet wins. When you bet just five bucks. Happy Holidays from DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 2: Gambling problem called win in our gamble in New York eight seven seventy hoping wire takes home one of four six seventy six nine and CONNECTU helps available for problem gambling called at eight seventy nine seven seven seven seven or bus this CZPG do or police bey responsibly. I'll be half a Boudo Casina Resort, Kansas twenty one plus eh in. Eligibility varies by jurisdiction void Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours. Up the issue with traditional terms responsible gamming resources se DKNG, dot CO, slash b ball.
Speaker 3: This is a podcast twenty five wists stuck full and they whirl whistle.
Speaker 4: So yet it's too bad?
Speaker 5: But what did you expect? It's a podcast called twenty.
Speaker 1: Five Whistles twenty wine blow whistle. We are here.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: Last night, I fell asleep before the end of the game, but Broncos lost. I hated that, So I guess Broncos and Chargers are now nine and six. Yes, And then there's a drop kick thing or if you fair catch it wherever you fair catch it, then if you want to try to kick a field goal from there, that then happens. Since I think the Bronosaurus in the earth, yeah something, but it's been like fifty years or something.
Speaker 7: I gotta be honest with you.
Speaker 8: I know that rule.
Speaker 1: I've not seen that rule looks like a Canadian Football League rule more than it's like you guys saw that live not live, Okay, because I didn't either. I was, but yeah, kind of weird and cool. I wonder if if they knew that pride, like, did he fair catch it on purpose?
Speaker 4: There?
Speaker 1: For that reason, because I didn't hear them talking pretty and posted to watch the clip?
Speaker 7: Do you know?
Speaker 8: No, but there's also a penalty, yes, which is why, which is why we moved back.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, so that's but my question was yes, because so they had to do the kickback.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so was it?
Speaker 1: Hey if you if you can fair catch it, we'll try to kick it.
Speaker 7: Who cares? Right?
Speaker 1: It had to be though, like who cares? I literally don't care.
Speaker 7: It is cool. Yeah, it was different. Read did you watch it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 9: I was thinking of a completely different type of drop kick or were you dropping on the ground kick in the fold goal? No, I was thinking of like kick or got drop kicked?
Speaker 1: Like, oh oh Readheart is talking about it. He thought like Chris Jericho came, Yeah, that's that's why I drop kick.
Speaker 7: Really, I don't know. I thought it was a fight or something.
Speaker 10: I don't know what you were talking about.
Speaker 7: Reid got in a wreck yesterday?
Speaker 8: Oh did you really?
Speaker 9: On my way home?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 7: Man? No, I wasn't too bad. I mean I was uh.
Speaker 9: I was about to get onto the highway over here, but a lady pulled out in front of me, and I hit her, and then the grace.
Speaker 1: Hold on because you need to say because people will go, oh, you hit her when you say like that, she pulled out in front of you. Yeah, like right in front of me.
Speaker 7: Her fault. Let's just get that completely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, retake the responsibility for everything is having his fault.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 7: He's so sweet, like, yeah, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 9: But the greatest part was then she left. It's like I hit him, run in the middle, but there were so many people around, like people were filming her as she.
Speaker 7: Was driving off and got hit, but it was your fault.
Speaker 5: You got hit.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I got hit and run And then it took like twenty five minutes for the cops to get there.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I saw a cop literally drive over my rubble, look at me and keep going because I was like, oh, finally he's here.
Speaker 1: Maybe a robber one, yeah, but the right one eventually came.
Speaker 7: Right one eventually came.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: The bar messed up. Yeah, it's pretty jacked up. And I how'd you get in today?
Speaker 9: Well, half of my like plastic underneath the wheel flew off while I was on the highway today getting here, So that was fun.
Speaker 7: I didn't know.
Speaker 9: I didn't know it was loose under there were your insurance?
Speaker 7: What's you're deductible?
Speaker 5: Do you know? I do not know?
Speaker 9: But the cop was making it seem like, do you know what a deductible is?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Like how much you have you have to already have paid for or you have to pay now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't know what it is before you get it fixed. Did you know did you call your insurance company?
Speaker 9: I haven't yet called him today even know.
Speaker 1: You got a wreck yesterday midday?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Do you know how much the damage is going to be?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Why did you not call the insurance company?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: Now I should have.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter though, if you have the police report. I think if you have that then you can call them kind of whenever.
Speaker 1: But I would say it gets probably the sooner the fixed faster the faster you make the call, and the more you know what you have to pay in order to get it fixed, and Christmas is coming up, and are you going to get a rental car? All those things factor in based on how quickly you make your decision to call the insurance company.
Speaker 8: And insurance companies are you know they'll look for any way to Oh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he gave me like a little it's got like the little number on the on the ticket that he said, just give that to him and it'll.
Speaker 8: So what's up with a lady? Did you get a license plate?
Speaker 9: Or in I got her license plate? I mean she drove off like like three miles an hour till the paper house.
Speaker 1: He doesn't know who shit or where she is. And also she thought about stopping, didn't she She.
Speaker 9: Did, she pulled, She pulled in front of me, and like I put my hazards on and she kind of stopped and stayed there. And then somebody, some lady walked up and she was talking to her for a second, and so I was about to get out of my car, and then all of a sudden, she.
Speaker 5: Just slowly started back into the lane and.
Speaker 9: Then just kind of just got ride in front of somebody else and just kind of slowly went away.
Speaker 1: She's like whistling, thinking no one sees her just into the distance.
Speaker 9: I'm like, there's literally people out here just filming you. Like, but he patient literally dang, So she one dred percent, didn't have a license, had drugs in the car.
Speaker 1: Wait, no, he's saying he's giving one of the that no, you're thinking, okay, no insurance. I would think she ether I had no insurance. The person I had no insurance or worn out for their arrest, or they shouldn't be here. There are reasons why. Well, I'm sorry that happened to you. I would call insurance immediately, even when we finish this, just and ask if you get a rental car as part of because again, if you're traveling for the holidays, that's not gonna be good.
Speaker 9: I was thinking, thinking I could make it. If I could make it home, then I'll be home for like five or six days.
Speaker 1: You're gonna drive six seven hours on a broken car.
Speaker 3: The problem is you don't know what's really broken Arkansas. Yes, oh no, no, no, no, you just call and see if they'll give you a rental car.
Speaker 1: I think at home here, no even that though I'm like, no, he's like I was driving in two wills came.
Speaker 5: On that what he said, I think.
Speaker 9: I think the worst of it flew off though. To be honest, I drive on sparks for eight my lap, yeah, because I was worried about it because it was kind of loose, but like it was still attached.
Speaker 7: But it's gone.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do an interview here. You should go call your insurance company.
Speaker 9: Okay, yeah, I'll do that.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have Andy Staples. He's on right now.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: One of my favorites when it comes to covering college football. Andy Staples. He's worked for SI the Athletic, now works for ON three. He's got his own show nine thirty am Eastern Monday through Thursday. Listen wherever you get your podcast. Big thanks to any for coming on a preview in the big weekend and just talking sports. And he has a microphone in his car, which you hear we were super shock guy.
Speaker 5: Legit.
Speaker 1: By the way, this is this is a great one because he's really funny. And I'm honestly thinking to myself when we start this, oh, he must not have got back to his wherever he's doing the interview from his studio, his hotel, if he's covering a game, where his podcast setup is, he's a microphone and he's in his car, and the audio in a car is never as good? Could you do it on your phone? And I'm a lot of like, oh man, And then all of a sudden he pulls a microphone from like under his seat and it sounded amazing wild. Here he is, Andy Staples. Oh he's got a mic. Oh, dang Angel.
Speaker 6: We we do the professional setup from this this rented Nissan Frontier you're in.
Speaker 1: I felt like I'm letting people. Now when I don't drive around with a mic. Now, I felt like I'm a loser. That's the coolest thing I've ever seen. Mike, let me know when we're rolling. We are rolling, we happen to have me be in surprise, he pulled the mic out of his box. Holy Andy, dude, I'm a big fan. So thank you for coming on and talking with us.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you, Bobby. I appreciate this. Yeah, this is a I've sort of learned to have everything everywhere. It goes back to my original career as a newspaper reporter. I was an intern at Florida Today down in Melbourne, Florida. I got a signed to do some generic editorial on beating the heat, and I had the brilliant idea of going to the nude beach and asking those people what they did to beat the heat and not get sunburned. And I realized that I was, you know, dressed in the dress code of the newspaper. I was wearing a white polo shirt and green slacks, which made me look exactly like a Brevard County Sheriff's deputy.
Speaker 7: So they were all running away from me.
Speaker 6: And then I remember I realized at that moment, like, always be prepared for anything that might happen. So I always keep a change of clothes. I keep multiple kinds of clothes with me, and I keep every single audio visual piece of equipment I need. If I might need to get on somebody's podcast, video or audio.
Speaker 1: It's a plus. And now I shall set up a full studio in the back of my car, like I've been motivated. Sometimes you get inspired in the most random of places, and today it's Andy Staples. Hey, let's start Andy, You're the guy I wanted to talk to about this. So Carson Beck not going to play first round, maybe not going to play at all, who knows, But what's up with Georgia. Obviously that's their guy, but it's not like he's been playing great all year. Your thoughts on Georgia shot.
Speaker 6: Now, Yeah, it's interesting in the reaction to it because Gunner Stockton probably played better than Carson Beck in the in the sec Championship game against Texas, and so the thought is is it really going to be that different? And you know, I don't know that Carson made that big of a difference for Georgia this year as long as Gunner Stockton is what we saw in that second half of the SEC Championship game. Now, that could have just been him playing out of his mind because the adrenalin is running. But my guess is Gunner Stockton with three weeks of practice with the ones because remember this wasn't a situation where the back was getting a lot of playing time outside of mop up duty. So when he went into that game, he probably had had no practice with the ones that week. I mean, they were operating clearly from a very limited menu. But this is a guy who's been with the program the entire time. You know, he knows their playbook. So my guess is we see a more polished version of Gunner Stockton when they play whoever wins the Notre Dame Indiana game. And so I think I think they're gonna be okay, because again, you know, Carson Beck good quarterback. I don't know that he was a transcendent quarterback who without him, they can't be who they are. I think they can still be a really good team and compete for the national title with a quarterback who's about the same.
Speaker 1: So just one more Georgia question than regarding Beck, because when the season started he was the guy most people were like, number one quarterback off the board could be the number one overall pick. Do you feel like that was a miscalculation that he really wasn't that, or that he had some sort of I don't like the pressure. I'm not able to perform as well as you know, my potential. As where do you think that fell off?
Speaker 6: Well, it fell off when Lad McConkie went to the Chargers and brock Bauers went to the Raiders.
Speaker 7: That's where it fell off.
Speaker 6: I mean, he had elite targets last year and he doesn't have those this year. And it you know, certain quarterbacks make their targets better, and certain targets make their quarterbacks better. And I think brock Bauers, you've seen he's probably the best tight end in the NFL already, so you see what he was probably doing for George's offense. And then Lad mcconkee obviously was you know, a huge contributor to George's offense as well, so I think that probably has more.
Speaker 7: To do with it than anything else.
Speaker 1: College football playoff greatest thing to happen in sports to me in the past twenty years, because it made so many games matter the last two and three weeks of the season, you know, aside from how you feel about the seedings or and I think there are things that are going to learn this year and going to change, But it for me, it was great, not even because of the tournament, but because of what mattered the last three to four weeks of the regular season. So I'm a big, a plus fan of it. That being said, there are some issues. I think now you look and you go, probably you just give the top four seeds to the best four teams, et cetera, et cetera. What do you think will be the first thing change because there won't be any wholesale changes. Are I going to do five things at once? What do you think when they finally do if they add teams first, if they change how the seeding, what do you think they'll change first?
Speaker 6: Well, I was under the impression that they would keep this exact format for the first two years, because that's the last two years of the original TV deal for the College Football Playoff and then they would change whatever they wanted to change for twenty six. But it sounds like they can change the seting for next year if they really want to. People realize very quickly, and we said it all season all season, were like, well, the five seeds probably going to have the best situation. Turned out the sixth seed probably actually has the cleanest path in this particular case, because I don't think I don't think any of us predicted that the Mountain West champ would get the three seed and the Big twelve champ would get the four seed. I don't think we We may have thought the Big twelve champ would got the four seed, but we figured probably the ACC champ would be the three seed.
Speaker 7: So I think that probably.
Speaker 6: Showed when that bracket came out, It's like, all right, this is ridiculous because Penn State probably wound up with a better path than Oregon into the semi finals. In Oregon beat Penn State in the Big Ten championship game, and I know people say, oh, but Penn State has to play another game.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 6: I would rather play SMU and then Boise State than have to play the winner of Tennessee, Ohio State like Oregon, got punished for being the number one seed, and you can't have that. So have your automatic qualifiers, have your automatic bids for five conference champs.
Speaker 7: That's fine, but if.
Speaker 6: They are not in the top four seeds, don't give them buys. Give the teams ranked one through four of the buys, and then everybody else populates from there.
Speaker 7: You think the lad after not next year.
Speaker 1: But as you were talking about the two year second, you know the last two years is the initial deal. Do you think they'll add two more teams, four more teams into this?
Speaker 6: The push has been for two from the Big ten and I understand why the Big ten in the SEC would like their championship games to be very meaningful. And the thought this year is, oh, you know, all four of the teams in those championship games are in the playoff anyway, so what's the point of this.
Speaker 7: Like the ACC championship game.
Speaker 6: Which weirdly both teams got in, but it didn't feel like that at the time, the Big twelve championship game was definitely a win. And in scenario like this, this format raises the stakes of those games, but it lowers the stakes of the Big Ten Championship in the SEC Championship. But if you only had two buys because you had fourteen teams, chances are those two buys are going to your Big ten champ and your SEC champ, which suddenly makes those games more valuable.
Speaker 7: And this is all about money.
Speaker 6: They don't really need to play those anymore, but they make a ton of money off of them. The conferences don't want to let them go yet, so I think that that is their solution to create bigger stakes for those games.
Speaker 1: I respect your opinion a lot, and so I'm going to ask you about one more rule change. And if you were the guy changing the rule, you got to if you were king, would you and when you become king, would you change the Doctor Pepper halftime ball throwing thing from chess passes or give them a basketball? Because so it's the dumbest thing I saw.
Speaker 6: I can't remember which championship game was, I want to say it was the Big twelve championship game, so yes. For those who don't know, the Doctor Pepper challenge is basically two people trying to throw footballs into a giant Doctor Pepper bottle for a scholarship and they do this during the halftime of the championship games for the various conferences, and it is the competition has devolved. It started out with people throwing footballs like quarterbacks throw footballs, and now they do chess passes. But here's the thing, Bobby, and this is brilliant. There was a guy or no, actually was a young lady. She was throwing option pitches, like triple option pitches, like she played for a service academy, and she was deadly accurate and she just destroyed like she's going as a guy who was chess passing, and she destroyed him. So I actually fell back in love with it, because the option pitch is just as great as throwing a football the right way.
Speaker 1: I think the option pitch I'd be okay with that. The chess pass is just maybe it's not maybe it needs to be ten yards farther. And I don't want it to be where somebody doesn't have a good arm they can't play right. You don't want someone who can't throw football right. But it's just when you have two people throwing basketball chess pass if I'm like drills in sixth grade, it doesn't look it's not that fun and I used to look forward to that.
Speaker 6: Well, I will say I went crazy when Josh Allen threw a chess pass in an NFL game. Now I got called back because of holding, but he threw a chess pass for a touchdown.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not convinced. I'm not convinced he was watching game tape on one of them. Hey, let's talk about quin yours for a second and Arch manning and not even so much about what's happening in the playoff. But now it's as Quinn you were is gonna go? Is it going to take whatever money from some mythical Big ten school that's going to offer him four million dollars to stay? What do you think is happening here?
Speaker 6: Well, it's it's interesting because this is one of these weird things that happens in the NIL era. Now that was never an issue before, because before Quinn youwers would just be head of the NFL. It'd be well, I'm probably not gonna stay at Texas because we kind of had this deal that it's Arch's time next year, So I'm going to the NFL and I'll be making more money than i'd make in college. But if Quinn Ewers isn't a first round pick, and he isn't a second round pick. And once you get into the third, fourth rounds, the money Quinn Youewers could command at a big time school might be bigger than what he'd make as a third rounder. So if you're him, it's actually worth considering, Like you have to really consider, like where where's my draft stock? Could I potentially raise it with another year in college? And if that's the case, can I make the same or more money in college? Because if I can, I'm gonna stay. I mean, you're looking at bow Knicks now in the NFL. If bo Nix didn't have those those two years at Oregon, he's not what he is in the NFL right now. He is that because he had sixty starts under his belt going in. So if I'm Quinn, I actually do consider that heavily. It's I want to know from the NFL people, honestly, what do you think I am? Where do you think I fall? Because if they think he's a late first round early second round pick, just go to the league. Just go to the league and you're gonna play and you're gonna get paid more. But if they don't think that or they're not sure, then yeah, get another year of college, make a bunch of money. Do some more Doctor Pepper commercials. Do some fans billed by the doctor Pepper.
Speaker 7: Good Ward.
Speaker 6: We've talked about them a lot, but yeah, do some more of that. And it's it's weird that that's how it works now. But he actually be more valuable as a one year rental to a team in college than he would be to an NFL team that takes him in the third.
Speaker 5: Round in the NBA.
Speaker 1: In college basketball, obviously, these players are trying to get to their second contract, right, big deal. You want to get in, get in early, and it's all about that second deal. Where the live span at times of an NFL player not as long as that of an NBA player, depending on especially what position you play. Would that factor in it all to somebody who's like a second or third round, Yeah, you might make less money, but you want to try to get to that second deal. It's you know, it's a four year and an option whenever you go to the NFL. Is that even being talked.
Speaker 6: About if you're a running back, yeah, I mean that's the running backs don't want to stay in school. If you have any chance of being pretty good in the NFL, you don't want the tread taken off your tires.
Speaker 7: You want to get to that second contract.
Speaker 6: Other positions where you're getting hit a lot and the injury risk is exceptionally high, you know, inside linebacker type positions, Those are other ones that you want to probably get to the NFL. Start the clock on that second contract. Quarterbacks have a little bit longer life span. Typically, offensive linemen have a little bit longer lifespan. Edge rushers have a little bit longer lifespan. So those guys do have decisions that they need to make if they can raise their draft stock while still making a really good amount of money in college.
Speaker 1: What about Dabo going to the portal first time?
Speaker 6: Not a virgin anymore, It wasn't It was the first non quarter see nobody ever remembers he took a quarterback. I got of the portal three years ago. Three years ago, maybe two. It was Hunter Johnson who had originally signed with Clemson and then didn't win the starting job. He was like a you know, blue chip, five star guy. He goes to Northwestern decides, you know what I'm gonna do. My last year back at Clemson, so that that was the first transfer Dabo actually took. He did not take a single one this past year, so Clemson and the service academies who don't take transfers were the only ones that didn't.
Speaker 7: But yeah, he's in the portal now.
Speaker 6: And the reason they're doing this is you have this house versus the NCAA settlement that's coming where there's going to be a revenue sharing plan where the schools are allowed to pay the players directly. So a program like Clemson, which doesn't have the biggest donor base, is going to have money to pay players in a way that's competitive with the Alabamas and the Georgia's and the Ohio States. The problem for Clemson wasn't Dabba laid this out very nicely last spring. I thought was the players who are good enough to help Clemson, because remember Clemson still recruits out of high school at a really, really high level. So the players that were good enough to help Clemson at the transfer portal, Clemson was priced out of the market. Well now they're not. So they go get the receiver from Southeast Missouri State. They go get an edge rusher from per Do like they're going to be players in this It's not going to be wholesale. It's not going to be a bunch of guys. It's going to be plugging in its spots where you have some holes in the roster. And I tell you what, Bobby, I think that puts Clemson right back where they want to be, because that was the issue. They'd have these little that you know, they'd have these kind of glaring holes in the roster that everybody else was filling in the portal and they weren't, and there was a reason for that.
Speaker 7: But now they can fix that.
Speaker 1: I guess my half opposing view of Dabo getting to quarterback that he once had is he didn't get a quarterback from the portal. He went back and got his own guy because his own guy left in the portal, and he went and rescued. He went and rescue his own guy. Yes, yes, yes, yes. And so I hate Texas. I hate Texas all my heart. Like I hate Texas. I wish they could fall in the hole and not exist anymore as a team. Listen, I see those pigs. I see those pigs. Yes, when we have I hate Texas. I hate everything about them, and I don't want them to win. But man defensevely their defensive line there, it's it's a monster. Uh. And we have Texas fans here on this show, so I'm not going to say anything positive about Texas. So would you say something positive about Texas to just kind of help, you know, balance us out.
Speaker 6: Yes, nastiest defense in the country. We spend so much time talking about Quinn and Arch and it's really unfair to a very very sound group of defenders that of the let's say there, you know, there's there's twelve teams in the college football playoffs, so twelve offenses and twelve defenses, twenty four units. The Texas defense is the one I trust the most out of those twenty four.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, that's it. We're good on that one.
Speaker 5: Guys.
Speaker 1: We're all Texas out. No more positive Texas and all right, Mick to hate. Hey Mike Vic being a coach. First of all, we saw the Sacramento State that that happens, and it's like Mike Vic maybe, and then now it's not. I didn't know Mike Vic coached what So what do you know about this?
Speaker 7: I didn't know either. I didn't know this was something that was in his heart.
Speaker 6: But you know, it's interesting because he's if you've heard him talk after his his football career, after the dog fighting stuff, after the imprisonment, you know, he's he sounds like someone who has changed quite a bit, who has grown up quite a bit. And so, you know, I do wonder with people who've been through a lot in their lives and who've done some things that they regret and have admitted that they regret doing those things, like there's probably something to teach to a younger generation. So I don't know if that's gonna work. You know, we've seen guys come out, you know, who were very good players kind of go a little bit faster into the coaching ranks, so like move move to a position that they wouldn't have normally gotten without the name. I thought Dion's done really well, that Eddie George has actually done pretty well with it at Tennessee State too, So I think there's something to be And Deon talks about this, He's like, why should that guy have to grind it out as a GA when he has so many more things that he can teach that the guy grinding it out as a GA can't.
Speaker 7: So I think he's worth a shot.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: Sacramento State wound up hiring Brittan Marion, who did grind it out as a GA and and as an offensive coordinator at the FCS.
Speaker 7: Level and then the FBS level.
Speaker 6: So we'll see, you know, those two programs, how how they how they differ going forward. But I just I think it's interesting that the victing. I didn't realize that that that was something he wanted. But I am curious to see what he what he is as a coach.
Speaker 1: And I guess aside from his troubles and what he's done and hopefully learned and reformed it can teach and can turn it positive as a head coach. I just think you'd probably want someone that has a bit of not just the football, but how to put together coordinators, how to how to organize. So to me, more than if he's reformed as a person, it's and maybe it's just because those schools want to splash and they'll surround him with people that actually know how to do that. I was surprised because Vic hasn't ever coached anywhere where. I know Dion pretty well. I'm lucky we did a TV pilot together. We're together for months every day love Deon s Anders, like that's my guy. But Dion was coaching his kids high school like he was a head coach there right then he went to Jackson State then, and so at least there was a bit of a progression there where Mike Vick was just like they're Mike Vick and now he's a head coach. But they're gonna have to surround with people that know how to do all these structure things, right.
Speaker 6: He's gonna have he's gonna have to do that. I mean, he's gonna have to to be able to do that, and I think that that is a skill that maybe can't be taught, and so he'll either be good at it or he won't cause you know, you mentioned Dion had worked in coaching his sons before. But like when he takes the Jackson State job, that's a completely different animal than what he'd been doing. And he did a great job surrounding himself with the right people. I don't think he hired very well the first year at Colorado. That you know, you look at the second year at Colorado and the staff he put together. That staff worked much better together and made that team better as the season went on. So I think with Mike Vick, we don't know what he's gonna be as a CEO, and sometimes you don't know until you see it. We've seen it at various levels of sports where somebody gets in as a CEO and they just aren't very good at it. They're a better assistant coach, they are a head coach. And then you see guys like ed Orgeron was a position coach his whole career, is never even a coordinator. Ervin Meyer was never coordinated before he's a head coach, and these guys.
Speaker 7: Are just natural CEOs.
Speaker 1: I was reading your article, and by the way, you can read Andy's work at on three on three dot com, and I loved your idea. It's even kind of feels like the basketball All Star Game now where they were picking they picked their players and picked their teams. But how you were talking about seed in the college football playoff? Would you talk about that idea for a second. What do you think that the way to do it will be?
Speaker 6: That was sent in by a viewer to my show, and I God bless him. It's great because he understand like he understands the what we're doing here. Because this is entertainment. And so instead of just seating the teams and saying this is who's playing who like, what they should have done is they should have ranked the teams and then you say, okay, here's the potential matchups, but now we're gonna go live to Dan Lanning, the coach of the number one Oregon Ducks, he has to pick which first round matchup is going to feed into his game. So essentially he has to insult these two teams by saying, you're the two we think are the easiest to be I would love like televise it.
Speaker 7: You give him like five minutes to pick.
Speaker 6: You have the Jeopardy theme music playing, and then you're like, okay, Dan, who are you gonna play?
Speaker 7: It would be brilliant television.
Speaker 1: And what I say, a lot as much as we love sports, live with it, it is a TV show, right, It's entertainment, and you gotta find that balance between integrity and honesty and the love of the game and entertainment because if you have a whole bunch of one and not the other, then there's no trust on product. But yeah, that would be like the greatest you know. Another thing would be like when a player you know, signs with the new team, like DeAndre Hopkins, Like they don't even say he's a chief until it's game time and it's like, all right, let's announce the new players this week on the team and here deandreh my god, that's DeAndre exact yes, Like you know that would be the product we love. Hey, talk about your podcast for a second, because you guys go live, which means where we do ours and we loaded a couple hours later we get to edit.
Speaker 7: You do yours live.
Speaker 1: There's a been a risk in that I don't know you and it's Andy and Ari on three podcasts. Yeah, but you guys are on are you guy? On four days a week?
Speaker 6: We're actually on five days a week because we do a postgame show during the season, and then once the season ends, will go we'll be Monday through Friday in the mornings with a more regular schedule. But we we go Monday through Thursday in the mornings right now, nine thirty am Eastern time. And yeah, me and Ari Wasserman. I find when Ari is taped, he's not as interesting, Like I don't want to edit out when Ari's really cooking.
Speaker 7: That's that's the thing.
Speaker 6: So we had Mike Goullett Junior on, you know, former Notre Dame offensive lineman who owns his own excellent podcast, and Mike was talking about how he puked before every game because it was just part of his process and he gets his nerves out.
Speaker 7: And then so the.
Speaker 6: Interview ends and Ari goes, you know, I puked before every show, and I'm like, Okay, I see what we're doing a bit here, and then he starts talking about how the post puke feeling is one of the greatest feelings in life.
Speaker 7: I'm like, Ari, I have an ad to read after this.
Speaker 6: I know this advertiser does not want to juxtapose you talking about how great it feels to puke with their their product. So we're gonna We're gonna move on here. But if we edit, then we don't get things like that. We need moments like that. So I am all for the live and you can interact with the commenters, which I am guilty of getting sucked into that a little too much, but no, it's it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 7: And we go live after games too.
Speaker 6: So after the college football playoff games at like the last one of the night will go live.
Speaker 7: So if you want to come. Heckle us, you want to come, ask us questions?
Speaker 6: Come on, because I love that the viewer has a chance to interact with us, you know, because and I find that the people who watch us regularly they're so creative. We do a mailbag show every Thursday, and they they send in all the questions that that idea for the seating was a mailbag question. Like I love our audience because they're so smart and they love college football and so yeah, if you guys want to want to join that group, they're the smartest, best looking audience. I have a friend named Chris Childers who works for Serious XM. He says that all of his doctors listen to our show and like, but you don't have to be a doctor, like any profession is welcome.
Speaker 1: Check out to Andy and ari on three podcast and read Andy on three dot com. Hey, big fan of your work. Have been for a long time and at even other institutions. I won't even mention here, but keep up to good work and thank you for the time. And now I have to go build a complete podcast studio in the back of my car, So I got I got stuff to do today. But Andy, have a great weekend at what a fun weekend it is. And hopefully I'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Bobby.
Speaker 6: I followed your career for a while and and you know you're you're an inspiration to all of us who are doing this stuff.
Speaker 1: So thank you for having me on all right there he is Andy Staples. Thanks Eddie, have a good day, buddy. Okay, the Bengals, there's six and eight. They have a six point five percent chance to make the playoffs. So the remaining games of the Browns, the Broncos, the Steelers and need some stuff to happen, but they still can make the playoffs. The Cowboys, they need the Commanders to lose every game.
Speaker 5: What's the number?
Speaker 1: Well, if do you not see I'm getting there.
Speaker 7: I would have a led with that if that's what I wanted first, Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: If the Cowboys win all three games, one of them is against the Commanders.
Speaker 5: Though, correct, and the Eagles, Yeah, and then Bucks.
Speaker 1: Which I think the Bucks and the Commanders are games they could actually win. The Eagles will be tough. Yeah, but okay, if the Cowboys went all three games, oh my gosh, and the Commanders lose all three, but what makes that a bit easier is you get to actually play the Commander. So you beat the Commanders, you win the other two, they lose the other two. I just look at their schedule, if I remember, their schedule was not easy. And then there's a couple of teams in the middle of them.
Speaker 7: Like the Seahawks.
Speaker 5: They have to lose somewhere in there too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Cardinals, I believe we're in the middle of that.
Speaker 5: I mean it's a huge like shot in the dark.
Speaker 1: At what's the schedule there?
Speaker 11: If I have the Commanders, Yeah, they play the Eagles, then the Falcons, and then the Cowboys to wrap up the scene.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they get lose to the Eagles, no doubt. Well, Panics is starting this week, right. The Cowboys have zero point two chance exactly.
Speaker 7: Out though zero point they're out.
Speaker 1: As long as you're still in it, you're in a baby.
Speaker 5: There's no chance, which is good.
Speaker 3: I mean really like if they made the playoffs, well and they just they would just get destroyed round one.
Speaker 1: Maybe not look at the Buck last year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because they won a game, didn't they.
Speaker 8: Beat the Eagles?
Speaker 7: Yeah? They lost the lines barely, right, Yeah.
Speaker 10: Almost beat the truck.
Speaker 3: It's pretty crazy. Though, like we're not as Cowboys fans, we are not used to this kind of season. We at least go to the playoffs, right and now it's like we're not.
Speaker 1: We're not going right now, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Usually now you're actually disappointed, which is weird. It's already happened. Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay. So we also have to an admission here. And I like to blame two people for this, and neither neither of them are me.
Speaker 10: Oh okay, I love.
Speaker 1: To put something on somebody else. I'm definitely one of them, read you or not one of them. And and it's it's not Casey. So it is Eddie and Kevin, and I blame Kevin. Wait wait, probably slightly less than Eddie, really slightly, because Eddie took the credit for it.
Speaker 7: Oh that's true.
Speaker 1: Edie could at least a said and that wasn't true.
Speaker 5: What are we talking about?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 6: You know what?
Speaker 8: Actually, when you say it like that, I agree.
Speaker 5: So last week we had you two know what we're talking about.
Speaker 1: But last week we hit our party, our parlay, and everybody kept hitting me, going, you'd hit you parlay, I hit mine, Kevin his and you took credit for yours. You didn't hit yours, We did not win, you lost.
Speaker 5: And oh really, yeah I took the Packers, didn't that?
Speaker 1: You took the Seahawks?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Seahawks.
Speaker 1: And when we came on, we're talking about everybody's like, edit lost, what's he talking about?
Speaker 8: That's hilarious?
Speaker 1: Really, So I didn't know until I started getting DMS and Kevin took blame for you. He goes, no, I wrote that down wrong on the sheet, so okay, you can have a little bit of it. But mostly Eddie just was like, yep, I guess we got it. Hope everybody won.
Speaker 5: Dang, So I went Seahawks on that. What was I thinking? Man, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: We had a buddy who Steve, who's a massive Cowboys fan, and he bet a seven eight parlay hit six and lost on the Cowboys and Panthers because he bet the Panthers. What idiot think about Steve a massive Cowboys fan. We're like, why did you bet against your team? Just don't bet the game at all? And he was like, well, all the experts were saying, it's like, hey, I don't bet against my team. Even I never bet against Arkansas because I don't want to have a split route. I don't I don't ever want for one part of me to not want them to win.
Speaker 5: Correct.
Speaker 1: So if I think that that's the case, and I would bet that, I'm not betting that. And that's what that kept him from making a ton of money.
Speaker 3: I have taken the Cowboys out of many, many, many parlays because I will not bet against them.
Speaker 5: That's just what you do.
Speaker 8: Is well, there's already enough emotion in it.
Speaker 7: You will take credit.
Speaker 5: Though, Man, I really thought I picked the Packers.
Speaker 1: Did you?
Speaker 8: I haven't even thought about it from that perspective, But you're right. He sat there taking it like.
Speaker 1: Gorma says, wouldn't you though?
Speaker 8: Two days I'm like, damn, I messed up. Man, I messed up. I messed up. And then I'm like, well, actually, I guess I could have been saved.
Speaker 1: Oh this is hitting me up like Eddie's lying.
Speaker 7: Eddie' lying. He didn't hit. He didn't hit.
Speaker 5: I didn't lie. I just said like, cool, I didn't lie.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's fix some games here. Uh twenty five whistles parlay on DraftKings. The spread are so big, Yeah, they're so big. I can't even go money line, because that's so that would be so cheap. You looking at college, Well, that's all I'm bad. I mean, this is it's a comfortable playoff. Why not you have to that's like the most exciting. I mean, like, yeah, I gotta do college. Okay, I'm gonna go. I don't even want I hear you, but it's like, I'm not gonna do four. I don't want to put on the app.
Speaker 5: Oh is it going on the app this time?
Speaker 1: If it no, but it's four four, it'll go up.
Speaker 9: I don't want to go up because I don't like I usually will pick a game and go, like I feel confident and in those single games, I don't think I missed yet, which means i'll miss this week probably well.
Speaker 8: The Indiana Notre Dame games on Friday, the other three on Saturday, so which will be to nights' recording this yes, late Thursday, go ahead, it's all was gonna say. If you do the three then three Saturday ones.
Speaker 1: Maybe I think Notre Dame beats Indiana by more than seven. It's Notre Dame minus seven, so I'm gonna go Notre Dame minus seven.
Speaker 7: I think in.
Speaker 1: I hate Texas and Clemson so much I can't I can't pick that game. I hate them both.
Speaker 5: It's a tough one.
Speaker 1: I hate Texas more, but like I hate Clemson only because Dabo. I think Penn State beats SMU by more than eight and a half. I'm going on two favorites so far, and then I'll go Tennessee plus seven and a half.
Speaker 5: Like it.
Speaker 1: So Notre Dame minus seven, Penn State minus eight and a half, Tennessee plus seven and a half. That's that's that's my parlay. I got to stay away from Clemson Texas just because it's emotion pick and here's my emotion. If you want to take the twenty five whistles parlay, checkout Draftking sports Book. New users use to Codeobby Sports when you download the app.
Speaker 2: Gambling problem called win in a Gamble in New York eight seven seventy HP wire takes something one of four six seventy six nine and connectut helps available for problem gambling called at eight seventy nine seven seven seven seven US this CCPG do or police bey responsibly. I'll be half a boodo cascenam resor Kansas twenty one plus e h in eligibility varies by jurisdiction, voiding on Terio Bebmas went to receiver war Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty hours. Up the issue with traditional terms responsible gaming resources, se DKNG, dot CO, slats.
Speaker 1: B ball. I gotta go to the freaking Jets making personnel decisions because of Madden, which is hilarious. I play Madden and in case he's a big Jets fan, and so story I read on the with The Atlantic is that, first of all, the grandson of Woody Johnson has been making a lot of the personnel decisions apparently, which is hilarious. I think he's seventeen.
Speaker 8: Serious, Yeah, is he really that young?
Speaker 1: I think he's seven. I think he's seventeen.
Speaker 8: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: You may look he's a teenager.
Speaker 10: He wasn't true. Yeah, I know he's young.
Speaker 1: And so I'll read just some of this from the Excuse Me the Athletic. The piece of story focused Onody Johnson, who's been hands on, but what he says I did not expect to learn that his son's Brick and Jack, whose love for the Madden franchise seems to influence the owner of the team. The Jets or NIXT to trade for Jerry Judy last off season because his EA Sports rating was too low. Hold on Earth, See this is how i'd be a coach. Yeah, now, I'm just saying what you know as a coach, it's only a TV show. It's not only their video game ratings that have factored into their personnel decisions. Aaron Rodgers was urging patients when the owner wanted to make a hasty move this season, like firing Rogers solid. I don't know if that's Sue or not, but whatever, we're gonna believe one. We should consider all of them here. Yeah, the seventeen year old what's his name?
Speaker 10: That break looks like Brick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's been heavily involved.
Speaker 7: Would be cool for.
Speaker 8: Him, he imagine going to school.
Speaker 5: Hey, what do you guys want to do? What do you want to do on Sunday?
Speaker 1: See if Madden will accept this trade? And if it doesn't, Like that's how they're like seeing it.
Speaker 5: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's your team. What do you want to say? Uh?
Speaker 11: It just the Jets just never failed to surprise, you know what I mean. That's that's what I've been dealing with. My my whole adult life with this team hilarious.
Speaker 8: So I always have you watched the Aaron Rodgers I have.
Speaker 10: I said I saw the trailer, but yeah, I haven't checked it out.
Speaker 8: Watch it.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 7: I can't.
Speaker 5: You can watch it.
Speaker 1: He's so cringey everything about it.
Speaker 10: You should have saw the trailer. Then he's in like Peru with like a tank top.
Speaker 1: Oh I saw someone TikTok where he was like high on something.
Speaker 11: Like talking about the whole drama with his family and the all things.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So so he's involved in it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, it's all on him.
Speaker 1: No, but there's a difference if it's on him and he's involved in it.
Speaker 8: Oh, okay, gotcha.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I wonder if he had final cut, which means he had decisions about what it wouldn't go in he had to have, does it make him more likable?
Speaker 10: I mean it's I don't know it. It's indifferent to me.
Speaker 11: It's just because it's all the same stuff that we already kind of know about his family and stuff like that. So I didn't really take that much out of it. Then again, it was just a trailer, so I gotta have it.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 1: No, four months ago, I was rooting Aaron Rodgers. So it's not like I've been. I was like, let's go. He's cringe. Everything about is cringe.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 8: The timing of this release is just not good either.
Speaker 11: But even like that, the stuff on magazine thought that this was going to be something this season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, true, and he thought the Jets would be better.
Speaker 10: Yeah, better than four wins for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even like the stuff on McAfee. That's happening now where. But he's also with Ryan Clark and they're like feuding. Yeah, and Rogers was like, you know, before whatever, all I want to know before you get into any more feud. So I know, have you been vaccinated? And it's like we're still doing vaccine jokes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was a long time ago.
Speaker 1: That was literally like two days ago. He was doing this on MACA. He's like, and if you are, then you're freaking more on it. Trust nothing, you say, that's my quarterback, baby, like go to the go to a different well. But yeah, he he is a douchebag. Yeah, come a long way, complete flip. If I were like a member of Congress, you'd be like, he's a flip flobbery. I was very pro Aaron Rodgers and now he's just the worst. The Charlotte Hornet, Oh, you'll talk about this, the PS.
Speaker 5: Five I do whacked, man, Like, I can't believe they did that.
Speaker 1: Do you guys know the story yet?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 7: God.
Speaker 3: So there's a halftime little little presentation where Santa comes up and the Charlotte Hornets like, give a kid a PS five.
Speaker 5: He wins it. Oh my gosh. Everyone's like, that's so cool.
Speaker 3: And then they walk off and the cameras turn away and they take the PS five back and they give him a jersey. And so people are that were there or saying like no, I saw it happen, and even the kid's uncle is like, no, that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 5: They took the PS five back, we just got a jersey.
Speaker 3: So then the Charlotte Hornet Charlotte Hornets are like, look, I'm sorry, we apologize.
Speaker 5: We made it right though.
Speaker 3: We gave him a real PS five and now he has like, you know, season tickets or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'd pr yeah, move what they take.
Speaker 9: A PS five from the locker room or something.
Speaker 1: I don't yeah, don't know, but yeah they got everybody else had their kids back, though.
Speaker 5: There was no explanation of why they even did that.
Speaker 3: It's almost like what movie was that with Will Ferrell where the semimi like a million dollars for a half court so everyone shows up, we don't have a million dollars, like, I'll never make it.
Speaker 5: It makes it? Do you guys?
Speaker 1: Do the Bulls version of that where the guy made the shot. It was over half with maybe three quarter shot and he signed up and he hits it and he wins. I think it's a million dollars.
Speaker 5: Maybe I'm mixing the two.
Speaker 1: But in the fine print it said you could have never had some sort of like professional and he played like some weird for like a year and they never gave him the money.
Speaker 7: That's so stupid, and so.
Speaker 1: Like people like Jordan got involved. It's pretty interesting.
Speaker 5: There may be a thirty might have been in the last Dance.
Speaker 1: No, I think I watched whatever. Whatever I watched defended the clips on TikTok for the whole series. But yeah, I know he it's the shot. The whole team's going crazy, George's jumping on. I'm like, yeah, he thought he just won whatever it was, thousand million bucks and they never gave it to him or at least they didn't then now name road ended, Yeah I don't remember. Okay, let's go to our talk with former NFL linebacker Jalen Smith. Jalen was a consensusul American Notre Dame projected top three draft pick. He blew out his knee in a bowl game against Ohio State. Drafted by the Cowboys in the second round twenty sixteen. Awesome career, you can still tell by this interview, especially he still loves Notre Dame already thinks they're going to be Indiana moving on to the next which is pretty funny. And then I called him on He's like, no, that's not what I meant. So yeah, pretty cool here he is, Jalen Smith. Super cool to have Jalen Smith on. Hey Jayleen, just a warning, one of my guys here is a massive, die hard, lifelong Dallas Cowboys fan. So if he hits you with like a whole lot of Cowboys questions, like I just say, because I'm gonna ask you like some Notre Dame college football playoff, But he's such a Cowboys fan. I'd just like to preface that with going, sorry.
Speaker 12: Hey you if you if you're diehard Cowboys fan, it's it gets real all year round.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I got it.
Speaker 7: Let's just start with that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is my friend Eddie. Eddie lead us off with the goo Dallas Cowboys question.
Speaker 5: All right, come on, what's out, Jalen, what's going on? Brother dude?
Speaker 3: My first question is like, I mean, obviously I love the Cowboys. My whole family loves the Cowboys. But what does the rest of the country think about us when you go play other places as a Dallas Cowboy?
Speaker 10: Do they just hate us?
Speaker 5: Or do they love us?
Speaker 12: I will say that if you're a Dallas Cowboy, it's like there's no in between. It's either you love, absolutely love the Dallas Cowboys or you hate everything about what Jerry Jones has going on and being a Cowboys for life. I understand the magnitude or the significant when we talk about America's team. The whole America's Team thing is very real, it's very true, and it's not going to change.
Speaker 1: So how do you feel in an adult man says we but like, Eddie's not on the team, but you actually played for them for years, Like, yeah, how do you feel like that?
Speaker 12: I don't mind it, because, like I said, I understand the importance of what the Dallas Cowboys has done for the sport. It's a global entity and there's nothing short of it. It's the reason why I still live in Dallas to this day.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about when you were drafted, because I mean, you were on the CUSP, but I think you were drafted thirty fourth overall, which was like one of the first couple picks in the second day. Going into the draft, were you feeling where did you feel you could go at? From what pick to what pick? Were they telling you? And then when it was the Cowboys at that thirty fourth pick, like, how did that feel?
Speaker 4: So prior to my jury, I was going to be a top three pick.
Speaker 12: So having that injury in the bowl game, the Fiesta Bowl, kind of shifted the narrative for really for all of college sports, like created the Jalen Smith rule of people being allowed to send out of bowl games because of risk of injury. If you look at my draft stock and where I was going, what I accomplished in college, and you know what I was prepping to do at the next level. So prior to the NFL Draft, you know, like the first rounders get the invite to go to wherever they're hosting the draft and all of these different things. For US players that have been watching the draft for a long time growing up, it's always a dream when you know you're going to be a first round pick to go to to draft night. I got some extreme detail, an insight really from a legendary guy by the name of Gil gil Brandt who told me that I wasn't going to be drafted on Day one, so have an opportunity to spend time at home really allowed me to manage my emotions, manage my ego, and all of these different things. Now, I wasn't expected. I wasn't expecting to be the third pick in the second draft, in the second round. So when I was like, as soon as I got to my draft party, within ten minutes, my number was called and it was a two on four number Dallas, Texas. Mind you, at the time, my older brother, Ron Smith was playing on the Dallas Cowboys. He just finished his rookie year. Our father is a diehard Dallas Cowboys fan. So when I seen that area code, it was just blessing because I knew I was going to get an opportunity to not only play with my brother for the first time because he went to Ohio State and I'm a Notre Dame guy, but being able to play for our dad's favorite team is definitely a family dream come true.
Speaker 1: How cold is it put the uniform on, in the helmet on for the very first time.
Speaker 12: Nothing like it. Nothing like it because you understand the value that comes with it. You understand going into it, the degree of stardom or celebrity or you know, just having an opportunity to wear that uniform.
Speaker 4: It means a lot for sure.
Speaker 1: So growing up in Fort Wayne, Indiana, which I've been to Fort Wayne a bunch of times. Live what a couple hours in Fort Wayne now, like our radio shows in Fort Wayne have toured through for I have been there. It's cold, that's my point. Like it's a cold place. It's like colder than where we live all the time. Fort Wayne's cold. Now when you decide to go to Notre Dame to meet obviously Notre Dame, one of the blue bloods in football, it's also very cold. I have a friend that played a Notre Dame Golden tate and I asked him. I was like, man, that's a whole different world. Like it's cold and I gotta imagine when you get up there, some of these guys that come from Texas, Florida and they come up to Notre Dame, like it's like an introduction to new elements in the weather.
Speaker 7: Right to play.
Speaker 4: Football in absolutely because.
Speaker 12: Father time is undefeated and you don't know, you know what what our father is going to put us through when it comes weatherwise, you can't control it. And it's really that second semester after the season when you got to go back on campus. There's no football being played. There's no uh, there's no there's no training or practice. That's and that that's happening. And you got to walk through negative ten degree weather to get to your to your arts class, to your Portuguese class, two years your finance or trigonometry class. It's not a fun thing when the windshield is in your face and your you feel like your lips are frozen. But I will say, man, we play some we play some great football at Notre Dame, and it's it's a rich tradition. It's a global entity. It's like the Dallas Cowboys, Notre Dame, the New York Yankees, like those institutes are in a whole different class so it's a lot of appreciation for it, but there's a lot of.
Speaker 4: My teammates who come from down South and boy, they hate it.
Speaker 1: Well, if someone comes to you now and says he they're a seventeen eight year old kid for a five star recruit. Coach Framan's recruiting them, and they're like Jalen, like like, what's the one reason let's take an al out of it. Well, like, what's the one reason about Notre Dame that that would make me want to go and stay and be fighting Irish.
Speaker 12: It's so it's so deeper than just getting the opportunity to play the game that you love at the next level. It's about the relationships that you create that last a long time, lasts for the next forty years rather than just four years. It's not just about a college education. It's about the network that you're being aligned with. And in any city, any state, any country that you live or go into, someone knows about Notre Dame. I was in South Africa a few years ago and walking down the street and somebody had a Notre Dame hat on. So that's the biggest that's the biggest thing, that's the biggest benefit it's a real it's a real people's university. And the alumni we take it, we don't take it lightly. How we understand the importance of togetherness. That's what I love about Notre Dame. I'm an hour and a half. I'm born and raised in Fort Wayne, Indiana, so an hour and a half from Notre Dame. And I'm a mama's boy. So I didn't want to go away from home for college. You know, I wanted to be close by. Like I said, my brother and my older brother played at Ohio State, so I was able to take my own path.
Speaker 4: But she was a Notre Dame.
Speaker 7: And I love it.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to be there Friday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's talk about that. Because I'm a big coach Freeman guy. Just like i'd play for I suck. I would never make the team, but I would like whatever he wants. Like you didn't, no, I would say right now, I'd be like, I'm in whatever you want me to do, Coach. I'll be a wedgebuster right now and I will die right now. And so what has Coach Freeman done? Like, what's the for that culture at Notre Dame.
Speaker 12: I think he's he sparked the urgency for greatness, and that's what us alumni we see, we feel. You know, I've had a great opportunity to form a relationship with the Witch coach Freeman, which goes a few years back now, Marcus. He was actually a GA at Ohio State while my brother was playing there, So as I was getting recruited, getting a chance to meet him and understand his journey, I got a great appreciation for Coach Freeman. Can't wait to see these guys on Friday. We're going to get the job done. It's the Battle of Indiana. And believe we haven't played the Hoosiers since nineteen ninety one or nineteen ninety five, something like that, so we're gonna I'm looking forward to to putting it on them.
Speaker 1: What do you think about Notre Dame being independent still? You feel like there's a need for them to hop in a conference or you all good at them scheduling everything?
Speaker 12: No, never, And the reason why is because we're the University of Notre Dame and you can't tell us that we can't go play our arch rival team, which is the University of Southern California. You can't tell us that we can't play Stanford. The benefits of Notre Dame is we play all across the country each year, and I never want that to change. Bottom line is we got we can only afford to lose one game a year. We understand that, we know that, and we're looking forward to to our first ever college football playoff home game. So South Bend is going to be rocking. I actually I'm actually opening up a Japanese ramen cruisine called Genia Ramen Bar right across the street from Notre Dame. So it's opening up in quarter one of next year. So we're looking forward to being a part of the Notre Dame community and and giving back. And it's just great for for the opportunity to be a part of the Notre Dame fighting iverage.
Speaker 1: I gotta feel you feel pretty good about the draw just looking through, I feel like Notre Dame obviously you'd love to have a buye, but you're not going to get one because you didn't want a conference right, and those rules should probably change. I think they, and I think they will. Just giving them the conference winners is not good because it's not the four best teams. But yeah, you guys will never get that buy and I think that is a bit unfortunate because if you guys are the number one team in the country next year the year after, you deserve to have that buy But how do you feel about the draw and and your side of the bracket there.
Speaker 4: I think the buye is I think it's necessary.
Speaker 12: I think Notre Dame should qualify for that buye only if we go undefeated, because we're not in the conference.
Speaker 4: But I like our chances, I really do. We we got to take care of home base first, which which is in.
Speaker 12: Notre Dame, Indiana, South ben Indiana versus the Indiana Hoosiers, who they are.
Speaker 4: They've had an amazing season.
Speaker 12: Great appreciation myself being from the Hoosier State, great appreciation. But Indiana, the Indiana University is about basketball. When you talk about football in Indiana, there's one place that you talk about, and that is the University of Notre Dame.
Speaker 4: And we're playing in the house that Rockney built, Nuke Rockney.
Speaker 12: If you don't know who I'm talking about, It's going to be live, it's going to be electric.
Speaker 4: I'm going to be there.
Speaker 12: A lot of our stars and Notre Dame Lennards are going to be there and we're gonna get the job done, especially it's a night game as well.
Speaker 4: But then I believe next what we will travel to to Georgia? Is that correct?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean if you're assuming, you're already gonna win, and I can appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, no, no, we take no opponent lights. Okay, speaking bracket, speaking bracket. We go to Georgia next next week or whenever that game is.
Speaker 6: Is that.
Speaker 4: Can you answer that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll be a bowl game, but in a dome, yes, so no weather the dome. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I like, I like I like that.
Speaker 4: You know, we travel well as well, so yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: Can we go back to the Cowboys for a second. You got three in a row and we got dayling here, we got three day real quick? So, uh the light you know the building, it's three o'clock and that light's coming in. Everyone's like, oh man, they missed that pass because of the light. How bad is that light coming in through the windows?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, sun So I played in Dallas for five and a half years and the lighting is real. It's real. It's real. The CD isn't lying U.
Speaker 12: We know he should have he would have caught the ball, should have caught the ball, all of these different things.
Speaker 4: The lighting is real. However, Jerry Jones is a.
Speaker 12: Extremely successful businessman and he has non negotiables and that's one of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, speaking of speaking of Jerry, you know, you hear the players once they leave and say talk about how oh, it's such a circus. You know there's people everywhere to watching our pregame warm ups.
Speaker 5: Is that accurate? Like everywhere you go there are just people watching you.
Speaker 12: That's accurate. I wouldn't call it a circus in a negative way. I think it's for it's for certain people, sir. A lot of people can't handle it. I don't know if it was because I was drafted into it and I appreciate it so much, or.
Speaker 4: If because I had a lot.
Speaker 12: Of experience playing at a a program and an institute like Notre Dame, which every week there's visibility, there's extreme visibility, which is another reason why there's Notre Dame fans across the globe.
Speaker 4: Same thing for the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: So being a part of the least two rich entities, you know, I was able to understand and appreciate the limelight and me being a competitor. I operate, I operate so much better under pressure. So that's really my take on the whole Dallas Cowboy being a circus thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, last question, last question, So will you give us a little bit of encouragement going into the future because this has been a tough year for us? And my take too, Jalen, is that, like you know, Dallas Cowboy fans, we've complained about, oh, we choking the playoffs and we suck, we suck, you.
Speaker 5: Know, but in reality we haven't.
Speaker 3: This year, we're finally realizing what that means, like we are not going to make the playoffs.
Speaker 5: It's a bad season.
Speaker 3: So can you give us a little bit of encouragement going in the future, Like what do we need to do to go win that Super Bowl?
Speaker 4: I believe, man, I believe that.
Speaker 12: It's all about one accounts, it's all about when it counts. I think Cowboys, we have proven that we can have success in the regular season, but for some reason it hasn't been able to translate.
Speaker 4: And I don't know if that's a personnel thing, if that's a.
Speaker 12: The way in which we attack the playoff games. I'm not sure exactly what it's gonna take. I do know that Cherry really does want to win. He really does. He really does. I firmly believe that he wants to win again. But yeah, sometimes you got a plateau. And I know, losing dan Quinn that was that.
Speaker 4: That was tough. That was tough. And then I mean, injury availability.
Speaker 12: Matters tremendously, and you know, when you lose your starting quarterback, it puts.
Speaker 4: The odds against you.
Speaker 12: Even though I love Cooper Rush, we were in the same draft class, that's my brother. But yeah, I think that I think that the Cowboys fans deserve deserve it. It's been a long time.
Speaker 1: So two questions left, like how are you feeling?
Speaker 7: Like, what's up?
Speaker 1: Let's go. You're getting back in.
Speaker 7: Let's get it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 4: Jared needs to bring me back. Yeah, right, I can come. I can come and dominate with with the with the hot shot talent, uh, the Mario oversha and I love it. That's my little brother. I love his game.
Speaker 12: I would I would love to come rock out with him and we can go out the right way. I can retire a Cowboy. H I'm I'm ready to go.
Speaker 1: You're healthy, like you're just waiting for a call from from somebody to do something.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Man, year nine, I'm healthy, I'm I'm ready. I'm staying ready, in shape, and ready to go.
Speaker 4: God's timing, you know.
Speaker 12: Outside of that, I'm the serial entrepreneur, athlete, entrepreneur, I'm heavy in the business field.
Speaker 4: And then I'm I'm I'm being a girl dad right now.
Speaker 12: Man, I got my I got six month old, my my, my first time being a father. So you know, there's always work to be done.
Speaker 1: Tell me about Jalen Smith, emmy, I because I was ready about it. You talking about being an entrepreneur.
Speaker 8: I mean this is that?
Speaker 1: What are you doing over there? Yes?
Speaker 4: Yes, so MEI is all about investing.
Speaker 12: It's all about helping close the economic and educational gap that exists in this world today. So I founded MAI to help provide financial funding, mentorship, and also you know, helping with entrepreneurs putting together strategic execution plans.
Speaker 4: So investing in black and brown and Latin X companies.
Speaker 12: We've invested at one point four million dollars into thirteen different companies over the past four years and opened up marketplaces to be able to you know, invest in people who have tremendous ideas for lack of resources. There's something that's dear to my heart, my purpose beyond athletics to help close the economic and educational gap.
Speaker 4: Started my own.
Speaker 12: Life insurance agency recently to help educate and protect families as well. So there's a lot of different things that I got going on. Like I said, I have a huge purpose beyond athletics, but you know, I make sure I'm up in the mornings getting my work in to stay ready too.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Jaylensmith dot com if you guys want to check more about what he's talking about. And he's already got his bags packed for that Georgia game, which is fun. Hey, Indiana, ain't nothing but a thing about night that's happening, and we're moving on.
Speaker 7: Jane.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate the time rooting for you. Obviously. Eddie, being a huge Cowboys fan, was super excited that you were on. Thank you, Dale, and to hear all the things you're doing outside of football, that's really encouraging and inspiring. So have a great weekend. Hope you guys get the w and hopefully we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 12: Yes man, thank you all. I'm sure I'll be on again soon, so I appreciate you guys. Man y'all be said, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Jaylen, see your buddy. It's the most wonderful time of the year for getting in on all the hoops, the football, the hockey action. At Draftking Sportsbook in the season of Giving, we're being gifted college football and college basketball, pro football and pro basketball, pro hockey two almost twenty four to seven. And here's the gift for all new customers. Bet five dollars to get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets if your bet wins. Download the Draft King Sports Book gapp use the code Bobby Sports. That's the code Bobby Sports for new customers to get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets if your bet wins when you bet just five bucks. Happy Holidays from DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 2: Gambling problem called win in a gamble in New York eight seven seventy hope wire takes hope one at four six seventy six nine and CONNECTU helps available for problem gambling called at eight seventy nine seven seven seven seven or bus this CZPG do or police play responsibly. I'll be half a Bouodo Casina Resort, Kansas twenty one plus ah. Ineligibility varies by jurisdiction void Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours. Up the issue with traditional terms responsible gamming resources, se DKNG, dot CO, slash bball.
Speaker 1: A couple things before we jump out of here. Connor McGregor says, you may fight Logan Paul in India. Okay, if you're Conor McGregor or anybody else that's a fighter, you want to fight Logan Pol anywhere because you will make so much money, and Logan Pol make a bunch of money. I think I'm just kind of getting over the Logan Pol thing now, and Connor McGregor's already done that. I'm going to box for a bunch of money as a sideshow type thing.
Speaker 5: Floyd Mayweather, Yeah, so it was a disaster.
Speaker 1: This one doesn't really interest me that much. I would be interested if it were Mike Vick you talking about earlier, like somebody like that, versus Logan Pole like that would interest me. Logan Pol's not a box I mean fixed on a boxer. People are like Logan Pol's not as good as a boxer as you think, So why he keeps fighting chumps? The one boxer he did fight he lost my Logan or j Logan, But you're thinking Jake, But Logan fights too, doesn't get wrestles and stuff. But I want to fight either one of the polls?
Speaker 5: What because because Jake is like real mma though.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about boxing. Let me see Connor McGregor announces in a boxing exhibition. Yeah but Logan Paul, But does it matter? Aren't it the same thing? Like now the one of the really boxers and they both make a much money to fight him.
Speaker 8: I feel like like Logan is a little more legit.
Speaker 1: Okay, then I don't know enough about who's legit of the Paul.
Speaker 7: Jake feels full of chumped to me, But Logan I feels more legit.
Speaker 5: Logan was the one spraying all the perfume, not the match.
Speaker 1: Jake spot the last one.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Jake is tyson.
Speaker 1: I need to be educated on this thing because I'm again, I know the differences. And he's awesome, and he's good. He's awesome. He's a great wrestler. Yeah, yeah, he's like legitimate. It's not even like looks weird, Like he's somebody that's trying that really isn't like back in the day, like Mike Tyson tried to wrestle, or any Karl Malone wrestled and you're like, oh, they're athletes, but they're not real. No, Logan Paulo is like a real wrestler.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's a big dude. He's good.
Speaker 1: But when you want to fight Jake or Logan and make you ten million bucks in the end.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I guess, yeah, why wouldn't you?
Speaker 5: But for us, like I don't want to watch that.
Speaker 1: I don't want to watch I'm saying Connor McGregor doesn't interest me at all.
Speaker 3: Really, if he came back and fight UFC, that wouldn't be interesting. That would be interested in Yeah me, but you're not in the boxing exhibitions. We've already seen the boxing side show where he's like, I'm going to be a boxer and then Midweather just slaps him around and wins.
Speaker 5: And then he like kicks. He's like, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm just used to kicking, Like and it's too.
Speaker 8: Close to the Tyson Jake Pole fight.
Speaker 1: We're still we're still like thinking about that, Like I think I might have thought of the same person.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean that's fair boxing.
Speaker 3: You think they're the same person until you see him side aside and they're like, oh no, you're not the same.
Speaker 7: You're very good.
Speaker 1: Most twins though, too, I'm like, they look exactly the same they stand by, I'm like, oh, I can definitely see that they're like exactly the same. But yes, yes, which one's older?
Speaker 9: I think Loganah, Logan's older, but a little shorter, taller and taller.
Speaker 8: I think it's Taller's tall?
Speaker 1: Yeah, is Jake thicker? Yes, Jake looks okay, he's monsters a big dude. Anyway, I don't care. I'd want to see out the one in the fight somebody that I'm interested in seeing that person fight like an athlete, like an ex athlete from another sport. But that is like awes It's like an awesome version of it. But like, who would be the greatest athlete right now? It's retired or even still play?
Speaker 7: No get killed?
Speaker 5: Yeah no, no, you wouldn't that crazy.
Speaker 7: Not as CARDI.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't be good to know. But like sha Shaq and Gronk are going to box.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, they were talking about that as they said they wanted.
Speaker 1: I would be interested in.
Speaker 9: That big old like the socket things, big gloves.
Speaker 7: That Paul. I guess.
Speaker 1: I know they're two different people, but I think they're the same person.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it took me a minute to realize. I was like, wait, that's not.
Speaker 1: About Conor Record. That's the whole point of that story. I give no craps about Connor.
Speaker 5: I love him.
Speaker 1: NFL needs to chill out when it comes to flexing these games so late. Because let's say you have a son, you're going to a game on Sunday. For example, Kevin dad came down to the Titans game. You guys went Patriots. Yeah, that's on Sunday, but like a week before the like, we're flexing the game, moving that game to a Thursday. But Kevin's dad has plans to come down on Saturday for the Sunday game from Massachusetts. H. Well, now you're screwed. You can't go to the game because they just moved the whole night of the game. Yeah, and that is becoming an issue with fans because they have tickets if they're going to come from out of state, other city.
Speaker 3: Job.
Speaker 5: I didn't realize they've done that, so they.
Speaker 1: Voted last year to change flex scheduling procedures, and they're putting to effect this season. The tonight's matchup was supposed to last night, I guess last night because it was supposed to be Browns and Bengals, but they switched to Broncos and Chargers.
Speaker 5: WHOA, that's crazy.
Speaker 8: And even the Patriots game next week I believe got flexed from Sunday to Saturday. So like, there's a lot of these going.
Speaker 1: On, and most of the flexing happens after they know who's good and who's not. You see a lot of flexing the first half of the season if they're still feeling out right who sucks and who doesn't. But now they know and they know what the implications are these games and where the ratings are probably going to fall.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but they used to do it like from Sunday afternoon to Sunday night primetime, which is fine.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know, probably yes, they in the same day. They would change, just change the time of the game. Yeah, yeah, that's okay, but yeah, Thursday stuff.
Speaker 3: And then what about those posters that they hang at bars man with the whole schedule that all changes too.
Speaker 10: You actually, the change and.
Speaker 1: What about the great point?
Speaker 5: Did not that whole schedule up there and now you can change it on me.
Speaker 1: Not factor into my thoughts. But that's a great point. That's so stupid. Yeah, uh, let's do CFP real quick. Who has the best chance to upset Indiana Notre Dame? Say, if you think, uh, this is the game, you think the upside is Notre Dame's favorite.
Speaker 5: I think that can happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're not saying it will happen with that one.
Speaker 5: That can happen.
Speaker 1: You think Indiana can be Notre Dame?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 1: SMU at Penn State, well penstay, I know they lost, but they look really good against Oregon clembs into Texas.
Speaker 10: Yeah this game me too. This game me too, little damn bo magic.
Speaker 5: Sorry, but the.
Speaker 1: Tennessee I say too. That one that was legitimate too.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think that one.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised to spreads over a touchdown.
Speaker 8: Me too.
Speaker 1: But I think I hate Clemson lesson that its centerment for Clemson. The problem is Texas is SEC, and I always root for the SEC. But Texas isn't the SEC.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, just no, how many years.
Speaker 1: I think they'll be officially SEC positive never worry first, God, I hate him and I don't like Clemson. I don't want Clemson to win either, but I'm going Clemson if I have to pick one of those Saturday games. So tomorrow Texas and Chiefs, that'd be good. Chiefs three and a half point favorites. That's it. I guess it's because they don't know if Mahome is gonna play or not, although he's been a full participant in practice.
Speaker 8: But I think that the Texans opened what Texans opened as favorites, and that as the week's gone on. Oh so that just means to me that Mahomes is playing.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, the Texans just haven't been as hot.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, they don't look nearly as good as we thought.
Speaker 1: Ravens in Baltimore against the Steelers, Ravens six and a half point favorite. Surprise, it's almost a touchdown there.
Speaker 4: And they lost to him.
Speaker 10: That's high.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even though it is in Baltimore, I'm still surprised. In the Sunday games, Giants and Falcons. The interesting game, but think about that is Penick will be playing quarterback for the first time. Lions at Bears. Do the Lions even need eleven people in defense. Nah, I mean at this point they don't have but they barely have eleven. Man, maybe they can play seven against eleven other Bears and like even it out a little bit because they shouldn't. But the Lions have lost a lot.
Speaker 10: Yeah, how bad for him.
Speaker 1: Browns at Bengals Bengals seven half point favorite. Bengals can't stop anybody. But who's starting quarterback for the Browns?
Speaker 10: I think they're gotta go back to Jamis.
Speaker 1: You do think they are? Or they should?
Speaker 10: I mean, what was that DTR guy? He did not look that good, So I think I'd take my chances with Jamis.
Speaker 1: Titans at Colts. Colts are in half point favorite Indy.
Speaker 5: As long as Taylor just holes onto the ball.
Speaker 1: Dude, what adult does that? I don't know what adult does that. Don't know what adult. Let's go to the ball. What professional adults plays Footballlet's go the ball.
Speaker 5: It's silly.
Speaker 1: Rams three point favorite the Jets, Rams U. Rams may make a run. They may make a real run.
Speaker 10: Rams.
Speaker 1: You know I love Stafford anyway, They may make a real run. Eagles three and a half point favorites at Commanders Eddie Show. Want the Eagles win that one. On zero point five.
Speaker 5: We want commanders just lose it all.
Speaker 1: All. I want commanders to lose it all because I have five hundred bucks on bow next to win. Rookie of the Year is like six thousand dollars and he's not the favorite. I think he was like plus two to fifty when I looked, he was second overall. I just need the Commanders to fall off.
Speaker 10: Ja.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Cardinals five point favorite of the Panthers. Vikings three point favorite of the Seahawks. Vikings just keep winning. Patriots at the Bills. The Bills are fourteen point favorite.
Speaker 9: Murder.
Speaker 1: Bills are just on fire. Forty nine Ers at Dolphins. Dolphins a one point favorite in Miami. But what does they say about the forty nine ers? What's said about the dolphin? Because four hits have nothing, right, they have nothing. Yeah, and then the Bucks the Cowboys to a four point favorite in Dallas.
Speaker 5: That's the game of the week.
Speaker 1: That's a game this week, game on Saturday, game this week. All right, We're done, everybody good, Thank you guys. We'll see you next week. We have we have episodes next week too, like the big radio shows off. We have a couple episodes. We'll do next week as well, So thank you very much and we will talk to you guys. Monday is Mond. Yeah, Monday is Tuesday's Christmas Eve. Wednesday's Christmas. So Monday all right, Eddie Blott, all right, see you guys. Theme song written by Bobby Bones That's Me and performed by Brandon Ray. Follow Brandon on socials at Brandon Ray Music. You can follow the show on Instagram at Bobby Bones Sports. Thanks to our crew co host at producer Eddie, Segment producer at Kickoff Kevin, video producer at Redrberry, and executive producer at Mike Distro. But most importantly, thank you for listening. I'm Bobby Bones. We'll talk to you next time. Here on twenty five whistles