Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News, The.
Speaker 2: Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: Well, let's take a look at some of the stocks on the move today in Europe. I'm Tea Adabai with Caroline Hapcat and we're joined by Bloomberg reporter Chloe Melly. Chloe, let's start with HSBC earnings. They were released this morning. How are they faring so far?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, ESBC, it looks pretty positive across the board in terms of those earnings. So it resumed its buy back, the profit beat estimates, and then it also improved its cost cutting target. This was all quite a beat, but it maybe was not quite enough to sustain the massive rally that we had seen ahead of the results, and so we saw shares down in Hong Kong trading and they're a bit mixed in London this morning. So Samanda said that the limited chaines to guidance were maybe a little bit underwhelming, that perhaps the buy back itself was a little bit underwhelming as well. The expectations were just for more meaningful upgrade for HSBC, and so that's why it's a little bit mixed this morning. Another interesting thing to come out of those earnings today was the CEO saying that HSBC could boost its bonus pool for bankers if that strong performance continues. Barkley said something actually very similar just last month, and so it seems that those European banks are wanting to move to maybe similar page structures to Wall Street banks, and so maybe that could help with getting the best talent. We've obviously seen European banks underperformed slightly their Wall Street piers.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that on HSBC.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, as you say, the difficulty of rising oil prices. The German airline leftans as seeing a really big drop today. But it's not just about oil prices.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Yeah, we lived out.
Speaker 1: There's just a bunch of challenges for that company. So it's yet another airline warning of that kind of growing uncertainty for its outlook, you know, giving up its capacity growth targets, just like AIG did earlier in the earning season. The second quarter profit was also a less than half what it was last year, and as you say, Caroline, a lot of that due to fuel costs. Of course, that has affected the entirety of that airline sector, but specifically full of Tansa. There was the added challenge of strike related costs as well, because there were walkouts from pilots and cabin crew earlier this year, and Liftansa has said that this was something that costs one hundred and fifty million euros in the quarter, so not insignificant. And this update from lust Tansa is really the latest sign of how much pressure there is right now on European airlines. You know, Luftanza has already announced plans to cut jobs. It's decommissioned alder planes. It's also got rid of about twenty thousand short haul flights, so it might have to take even more other drastic measures if things don't improve, if those costs keep rising. But it's not been a very good ending season for that sector for sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, so some difficulties for left handser. But on the other side of the equation we have Bayer. They saw an earnings beat this morning. What's the latest there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Bayer saw an unexpected increase in a profit for the second quarter and that was driven in particular by the crop science business doing very well. So it seems that things are starting to look up for Bayer after years of litigation issues related to its roundup weed killer, of course, and that had been kind of top of mind for investors for years and years, But it seems that things are starting to get a bit better in that regard for Bayer. It received a favorable US Supreme Court ruling back in June that sort of weakened a key argument that was underpinning the majority of those legal cases. And now the next big step for BYA is a hearing on August nineteenth of its settlement proposal of seven twenty five billion dollars, and so it got preliminary approval for that, but not full approval yet. The full approval would really allow by It to kind of finally get rid of this legal overhang and really move forward. And so we've seen the shares up significantly this year on hopes that it can successfully manage these legal problems, and now those positive earnings are adding to those games.
Speaker 2: This morning the Stock Movers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live. Catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App.