Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two on this Monday.
Speaker 2: Come on in, stay a while. Hall of Famer Steve Young will stop my will dissect what happened over the weekend. Chiefs Commanders, Bills and Eagles all advanced and your morning points spreads from DraftKings Commanders are getting five and a half against the Eagles and the Bills getting one and a half against the Kansas City Chiefs eight seven to seven three DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. You have Mark Sanchez, you have Rock Perty, you have Joe Flacco, you have Ben Roethlisberger, you have Sean King, and now you have Jayden Daniels, the sixth rookie quarterback to start a conference championship game. The previous five all lost.
Speaker 3: O cow stand a day standa day, Stata Day.
Speaker 1: This is the style of the name.
Speaker 2: Out of the Day, brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. First time, the four remaining teams have a combined zero turnovers heading into the conference championship game. And that's what it comes down to. Taking care of the football. Try not to do too much knowing your identity and taking advantage of opportunities when they're there, and you saw that with the Eagles. Jalen hurts. Is just that Jalen is hurting, don't know. I haven't seen an update on that. I'm going to guess An Mri on his leg, his knee when it got twisted a little bit there, did go to the blue tent. But at this stage of the season getting him out there, how valuable do you change your game plan because of that? I would probably say, how about a little more Saquon Barkley that seems to be working quite well. Didn't understand second half. I thought the Ravens would go heavy with Derrick Henry.
Speaker 1: They did not. Came down to.
Speaker 2: Mark Andrews and that two point conversion that he dropped that had an opportunity to send it into overtime. Watching Matthew Stafford yesterday in those conditions, he had some passes that were just like, I can't even think that he thought about throwing that pass and then completing it, and I thought they I thought they were going to win that game in the end. I just thought, boy, the Eagles, the Eagles got to do something here.
Speaker 1: What are you doing. You're letting him complete some passes.
Speaker 2: Jalen Carter had maybe the biggest play of the game with a sack. The Eagles had a missed extra point. You know, I'm always watching the game. I'm watching it for differing reasons, like what guests do we have on, what's the point spread, what's the over under? You know, just there's a variety of things, a myriad of things that I'm thinking about. And I'm watching the game, and I texted the Danis. I said, twenty two six point margin for entertainment purposes only. And then I thought Stafford the wave was going with those two receivers, and maybe they were going to get that opportunity, score, touchdown, kick an extra point, and actually be hosting the NFC title game.
Speaker 1: Amazing. All right, SA, good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app, or radio affiliates around the country say mentioned Steve Young will stop by here in a little bit. Ohio State is favored by eight and a half against Notre Dame. The promo on ESPN ESPN Radio talks about David versus Goliath. If Boise State was playing Ohio State I'll give you that. Hard to say. Notre Dame is a David versus Goliath against Ohio State. A lot of storylines with this as well. We talked to Ryan Clark of ESPN. His son Jordan is a safety and he'll be starting tonight, even the quarterbacks. This isn't normal for Notre Dame, but they've done it back to back years, Sam Hartman, now Riley Leonard, where you're taking the Notre Dame doesn't do this or didn't do this. They like to have that guy who comes in and he's part of Notre Dame's family for four years or five years. Now, it's all right, Hey, we got some transfers here. We're going to use the portal. I think they have maybe eight starters who are from the transfer portal. Things have changed, things are constantly changing and will continue to change.
Speaker 1: As I told you last.
Speaker 2: Week, I had gotten information nothing was going to change with the playoffs until the following year. That's when the new TV deal goes into effect and probably expanding to fourteen teams. And then if you go to twenty thirty two when the contract is up again, that's probably when we go to sixteen teams. As far as buys seating all that that's probably going to happen next year, after this next season. Therefore, you got a new contract that will be put into place, all right, Satan poll question from hour one, I don't even know what we went with. It flew by so quickly, and what are we going to go with an hour two hour.
Speaker 4: One we had up there tougher loss for the Lions or the Ravens right right now, seventy one percent to that have the Lions? Is that being a tougher loss?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get it because you're at home, you had home field advantage. You were just trying to survive, get through the title game, maybe Aiden Hutchinson comes back.
Speaker 1: I get that.
Speaker 4: It's almost like hope is more crushing than expectations in a way. The Lions were. I mean, I know they had expectations too, but there was kind of the hope of like, man, this might be our year. Ravens seemingly are here every year, and it's like, all right, let's see if we can not do it again this year.
Speaker 1: Oh well we did.
Speaker 2: And then it was weird because I was sort of leaning towards wanting Baltimore to win. I thought Buffalo would win, but maybe Baltimore would be a better matchup against Kansas City. Now, if you say, you know Buffalo and Kansas City go down to the final seconds, great, I'd be happy because I don't have a rooting interest with it. And you know the same in the NFC. Now, I do love Washington's story. They far exceeded what I thought. And I just thought that they were going to be one of two teams to keep an eye on this season. They're far more than that. And give credit dan Quinn, Cliff Kingsbury, and absolutely Jaden Daniels with what he does. This is just different Like normally with a rookie, you go, well, eventually he's going to act like a rookie. He's acting more like a veteran than he is a rookie. And you saw that where they didn't flinch. They just kept putting up points. And I thought it was interesting that it was the Commander's going forward on fourth down. Normally it's the Lions. This time it was the Commanders. But I guess I just factor this in. If I have a weapon like Jayden Daniels, now you have to stop him four times. It's the same thing with Kansas City with Mahomes, Like, there's certain quarterbacks where you go, can you stop Josh Allen four downs? No matter where it is, And that's where I would always lean towards. If it's fourth and two, I'm going for fourth and three, I'm going for it. Maybe fourth and four, I'm going for it because it's keep pressure, keep the ball. And if I've got that marquee quarterback who is just different, and Josh certainly is.
Speaker 1: We know Mahomes is Jaden Daniels. You just go see.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Hurts is going to be that kind of quarterback, certainly in this game coming up, how banged up he is. But when you have that and the defense knows we have to stop you for four downs, not hey we got you second and long. Now it's third and four, and now it's fourth and two, you don't have to worry about Matthew Stafford running if you're the Eagles defense. But if you're the Eagles against the Commanders, I mean Mahomes, you always have to factor that in. And there was a play that he threw the touchdown pass and to Travis Kelcey and you're thinking, you know that they're putting heat on him. The Texans are putting heat on him, but he just wiggles out.
Speaker 1: Just a little, just a little.
Speaker 2: They're holding on to him, and then he throws to a wide open Travis Kelcey.
Speaker 1: Now the point that I and I said last week, watch him.
Speaker 2: He'll have nine catches, you know, or seven catches ninety yards and a touchdown.
Speaker 1: I think he had close to that.
Speaker 2: There's three Texans around him. He's the guy I gotta worry about come playoff time. Him and Gronk, those are the guys where you go, where is he?
Speaker 1: Where is he? Because if you.
Speaker 2: Get caught up in that lazy analysis of I don't know he's slowing down a little bit, he is, but you still have to account for him. And that was the problem that I had on that play. But it's my homes and I expect him. I don't know if it's I expect the unexpected because we've we've seen what would be the unexpected, and it's it's no longer unexpected.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pulling, And.
Speaker 5: When you watch replays at Travis Kelcey, it feels like a lot of his routes are option routes for the lack of a better phrase, he kind of he jogged towards the end zone. Then he took two steps to his right and almost like a zone defense. He just found a pocket. On that drive, he had two third down conversions, Kelsey catches and the game and the touchdown to take a lead.
Speaker 2: And they have to have obviously they have great chemistry, but they also have Hey, you're either going to go right or left, and that's probably what it is. He just figures out what the defense gives and they continue to do this. I mean, it's it's still formidable, but make no mistake about it, the Texans lost that game because they couldn't protect their quarterback. All right, we'll get phone calls coming up. Best and worst of the weekend Brian and Charlotte leads us off this second hour. Hi Brian, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Hey? Dan?
Speaker 7: Best of the week, Eagles over the Rams, Worst of the week, Cheats over the Texans. I don't know if I'd go so black and white with the text with the Texans, just kind of leaving that a game open to the Chiefs. I called a couple of weeks ago, and me and you were on the same page. It's just superstar bias. We've seen it with Brady, We've seen it with Jordan.
Speaker 6: I'm off that.
Speaker 7: Bandwagon now after seeing that game on Saturday. I just I you've got Mike Francesa, Troy and Joe Buck, Colin Calvert, Russell Yorke, Triy ethics, Don did not all chirping about the officiating.
Speaker 8: And I'm full.
Speaker 7: Conspiracy theorist now, Dan, I think the NFL is working with these officials to get the Chiefs into.
Speaker 1: The Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Okay, I didn't think fans liked the Chiefs, right, I mean, I mean.
Speaker 7: I guess maybe not. But I just I've never seen a game quite like that on Saturday. They were four instances I counted them, four instances where balls were spotted strangely, one of which with the Chiefs being a yard and a half short of the first down, and then at first they were given a first down, and then one of the head officials side officials how to respot the ball because it was so egregious.
Speaker 2: But Brian, I can agree that there are moments where we go, boy, that kind of that's a bad call. I don't know if I'm going to factor in read into allow the conspiracy theory and thanks for the phone call. Where you go, the NFL wants the Chiefs in the Super Bowl, why wouldn't they want the Lions in there too. America probably wants the Lions. Everybody except for those in the Washington, DC area. So when we talk about great players do get more calls, they do. But if you look at the number of times that Patrick Mahomes was there was roughing the pastor on Mahomes, Jared Goff was roughed more times than he was. I don't think that the penalties are going to show that they get preferential treatment. It's we watch the Chiefs more than any other team because they have that window of Sunday night football, late Sunday afternoon football or maybe a Monday night game. So you're seeing the national games. You're seeing these moments here, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 9: And the thing is the NFL doesn't care who's in the Super Bowl because everybody's going to watch it, and there's a storyline with no matter what team is in there. It's not MLB, it's not the NBA. It's like, oh, we need these two teams for more eyeballs on the sport. It doesn't matter with the NFL. It doesn't matter who's in.
Speaker 2: They're guaranteed of over one hundred million people watching the Super Bowl, guaranteed every year they break a new record. It doesn't matter. It truly doesn't matter. The only people who care are the host cities because they want to make sure that fan base travel. I can imagine if Detroit was going to be in the Super Bowl. Imagine that fan base Washington, if the Commanders imagine that fan base. The Eagles they travel, the Chiefs they travel. I mean that's all. Those are the people who care about who's in the super Bowl, not the NFL. Zach and Knoxville.
Speaker 1: Hi, Zach.
Speaker 7: DT, thanks for.
Speaker 1: Taking my call, man.
Speaker 10: I just wanted to talk about the Commanders a little bit.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 10: I moved to Knoxville in nineteen ninety two and my dad passed away last year and we always joked that he cursed the Skins and that's not making the playoffs because we moved here.
Speaker 1: And then it just we're playing a team of destiny, and it.
Speaker 10: Seems like we're a team of destiny.
Speaker 1: So I feel games in Virginia. Man, this is a it's sports, but it's emotional.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: It makes you, you know, it all comes full circle.
Speaker 2: Well, you just hear Dan Campbell, you hear his voice. Play it, Marvin after the loss. Here's the lion set, coach.
Speaker 6: Can you lose these games?
Speaker 12: Man?
Speaker 13: It's like the players, what they put into it. A lot of people don't know. You know what they go through. You have to get up the bodies, beach is you know, mentally, stay locked in and do those things.
Speaker 2: So long season, this was the year you had the big lead. Last year you lost it. Now we thought, okay, now they come back. Now they learn maybe they're not as aggressive on fourth downs, and then they had all the injuries, but they still ended up with home field advantage, and you got that feeling that this was their year. Thanks for the phone call, Zach, Well take a break. We'll get some more phone calls, give you our best and worst of the weekend, and when we return the Hall of Famer Steve Young Dan Patrick Show. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The dam Patt Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 11: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich Davis and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio App.
Speaker 1: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 11: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 1: I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 11: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, shop it up. As they say, i'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Kobe no on Rich wherever you get your podcast and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Cavino and Rich. Stat of the Day has always brought to you by Panini America Official Trading cards to The Dan Patrick Show. Last time two NFC East teams met in the conference championship game nineteen eighty six, that's when the Giants meet the beat the then Redskins seventeen to nothing. So same division opponents in a conference championship game. Since two thousand, you had the Rams and Niners in twenty twenty one, Seahawks Niners in twenty thirteen, Packers Bears twenty ten, and then two thousand and eight the Steelers against the Ravens. Hall of Famer Steve Young back on the program, I was wondering. You grew up on the East Coast in Connecticut, so you're familiar with snow. But playing day, didn't you have a game when you were with Tampa Bay you played Green Bay in a snowstorm?
Speaker 1: Does that sound man?
Speaker 6: Come on? That's the lowest attendance in the history at lambeau Field because no one could get to the field. There's a snowplow, two snowplows in front of the bus from the from the hotel and the only people that came to the game literally were people who snow shoot in or snowmobile outside of lambeau Field was like three hundred snowmobiles. Is how the game went. And we were wearing white, and we didn't wear and of course we forgot all the winter gear, so I wore. Everyone's wearing their suits underneath their clothes like anything you get a hold of, they were wearing and we were wearing white. I go out there and play. I couldn't see anything. My second game as an NFL pro. I'm like, Bro, I can't I don't know where anybody is. And I thought for a little while that I wouldn't complete a pass Dad. It was I mean it was in the second quarter. I'm like, I don't want to be the first player in the history of the NFL that didn't complete a pass.
Speaker 1: Call it.
Speaker 6: So I had James Wilder by running back. I was like, James, look, I got to complete a pass, bro, So I'm going to drop back. Just come in front of me and I'm going to shovel it to you and you can look at the stats. I think the first half I was two for fourteen for minus three yards.
Speaker 2: You had eight completions I think, and six were to James Wilder in that game.
Speaker 6: Because I could see James just like he was close to me. He would scream at me like I could hear him. I could hear him, so I knew that he was close.
Speaker 2: Well, isn't an advantage for the offense in weather like that?
Speaker 6: I think it is because anytime it's slippery or then you you know, you know where you're going and the defense doesn't. It makes you know. Obviously, the mistakes are bigger because the footing. And yes, I thought, as long as you have a quarterback that can that can mut it, that's a huge I think it's a huge advantage.
Speaker 2: Give me the game that kind of puzzled you this weekend.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, obviously the Commanders. What I loved about what they did was they went into a you know, tough place, number one seed, and they just ripped it right. And they they didn't wait around, they didn't wonder, they didn't kind of feel it out. That playoff football is about taking it from bloody hands, and so if you're gonna do it, especially in that situation, you've got to run it out. And what I mean That's all they did, is they just ran it right out to the fourth quarter and the Lions is that's what playoff football is amazing. People don't realize how like baseball, basketball, it takes a week and a half to figure out who's going to win a series. In football, you've literally in a half. You can lose it all in many ways. The Ravens in the first half a couple of turnovers. You know, am I really going to win a playoff game on the road with two turnovers in the first half? Even in a halftime, you got to wonder to yourself, have I already blown it? And it's a tough spot.
Speaker 2: But I brought this up with Ryan Clark of ESPN Last Hour, and I said to Ryan, is Josh Allen consciously trying not to do too many things like put on the cape? I don't can as a quarterback? Can you consciously think about don't try to do too much like you've done before?
Speaker 6: Dan, that is the art of quarterbacking exactly. If you can't do that, you won't be great. And I think that's what Patrick Mahomes has moved into, That's what Josh has moved into a place where they can be Superman, and they can be Superman almost every play. And you remember early in Patrick's career and Josh even as of last year, they put on the Superman cape so much that you actually can't it's it doesn't work, it blows up on you. And so you either figure out how to become a a very sophisticated passer in the pocket, get everything you can out of the play, and then be patient and recognize where the spots are where you can be Superman and where you can't be because you can't be every play. And I give both of them tremendous credit and maturity and how to figure out because in the game, you have to have legs. In this game, you have to be able to threaten the line of scrimmage. You're going to cut touch the ball eighty plus times a game. Every time you touch the ball as a quarterback, you have to be able to threaten the line of scrimmage. Doesn't and you do it, but the threat has to be there because it's so you've saw it all weekend. How many yards are there free yards for quarterbacks touchdowns, first downs, and and if you don't have that ability, you are behind the game. Jared goff behind the game. He has to throw his way down there all the time. And you saw when you have to throw your way down there all the time, it wears out where the other guys they can get on their stuff the other the field threat, the line of scrimmage, threat, line of scrimmage put defenses on their back. It's a huge difference. So yes, Josh Allen understanding that the Superman cape comes and goes. Is the maturity of Josh Allen.
Speaker 1: Where does composure come from?
Speaker 6: Well, in some ways, you're you know, it's like a gift from heaven, right like you you have a way of dealing with you know, adrenaline comes into your body and most human beings, it shrinks your brain, you get tight, you sweat you and sometimes things get tight and people respond opposite, like your heartbeat goes slower, you kind of calm down. And and those are the guys that you know, those are the greats. And composure is something that you you know, you have that kind of gift from heaven and then you also develop it. You develop it through experience. Now, Patrick Mahomes showed up in the NFL first game. I covered them on Monday night. I'm standing on the sidelines and the dude is sprinting right towards me full speed. Guy's chasing him down for the Denver Broncos, and like you know in the NFL, you don't you know, I mean, it's crazy speed. The game's played at and he's he throws it lefty and you could see as he's coming he's not the adrenaline is running, but he's not like he's just kind of checking out, like he's in his backyard and kind of figuring out, Okay, what can I do here? What can I do? You know what? Maybe I'll try this? And that's how he that composure was was God given and he showed up with it. And I also think for him, particularly when you have a professional athlete, dad grew up with a certain mentality that most of us have to go to the NFL and have to work through the composure thing. I think he kind of showed up that way. Think Peyton Manahan the same kind of spirit.
Speaker 1: But explain Jade and Daniels.
Speaker 6: So I'm telling you just did some people respond and a presence under pressure opposite of what most humans do. It's it's it's irrational to the human experience but some guys just and that's why they're great. And great quarterbacks generally have this ability as the as things use. Look, that's the filter for quarterbacks. How many quarterbacks you see when it gets tight, they oh my god, and then their game gets smaller. They don't do as much. Their athleticism starts to disappear, their mind starts to speed up, and they can't process the way they did. And some people are just built different. And he's built that different. You can see it. And in today's game, he is the old met prototype. He is threatening line of scrimmage every play and can as he learns, he'll get he'll figure out, you know, some of the things we just talked about Superman Cape, but he threatens it every every every play. And with an innovative play caller. And you've talked we you don't have talked about this, but I'd like to say half the league has an innovative play caller who understands the game has changed, that there's more space. How you deploy people out in the space is not like twenty fifteen. And how many teams in this league, Dan, I've stretched my eyeballs out. We're still running plays from twenty fifteen and thinking, oh, this is the way we used to do it. We were really good. We're like, bro, those days are over. You give me an innovative play. Caller. Cliff Kingsbury is amazing innovation. You saw some of the cool plays over the weekend. People are coming up with crazy stuff that's amazing, and you can deploy it in this way because the game has changed. The field is bigger, and then Jayden can just fill it all up and it's fun to watch. And look, I'm if I'm the Commanders, I'm going to Philadelphia on a championship weekend. I'm going to run it out just like it did against the Lions. Like, just run them out of the building. They cannot stay up with them. They cannot score forty, they can't go thirty five, they can't score thirty. So just run it out and let him chase you. That's the way I would do it.
Speaker 2: Steve Young, Hall of Famer joining us, We get caught up as members of the media, which you were a member of the media, but also Hall of Famer. We look at postseason success at the quarterbacking position, whether it's fair or not. We look at that and here's Lamar Jackson probably on the verge of a third MVP and then he bows out again. How important is postseason success maybe for the legacy of Lamar Jackson In the end.
Speaker 6: We have to live it out, Dan, you know, you have to. You just it's the fact. It's a percept. Look, perception is nine tenths of the law. It used to be possession in law school, but put perception is nine cents of the law. In other words, if that's the way that everyone wants to respond to Super Bowls, then you better get on board. And I think Lamar is on board with that. You can see it, you can see the pain. I love that guy. I think he's an amazing football player. And as he gets to become a more sophisticated passer and the Ravens lean in, I appreciate the hybrid they're leaving the Harbaugh run the ball, play great defense, like that's twenty fifteen, Like you have got to enter into this new space that I think the Ravens have done in new play caller and you know, and I think he's making the transition and he's he is the most dangerous player in the field almost every time except for you know, when he run plumbs into Patrick or runs into Josh. And so the pain is real, the reality is real. You're not gonna you're not gonna you're not gonna have the perception of the of who you are as an athlete without it. And that's just the way it is. And he's and you can see it in him. He goes through the regular season and they run through the rank and file of the NFL Ravens over and over and over again, and you can see it. This year he was like, yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever, whatever, I'll see in January. I'll see in January. I'll see in January. You want to be ambach, I'll see in January. I don't care. I don't care. And so that's why yesterday was particularly painful. And and like he said, after the game, what a stud When you know Market dropped the ball and everyone say, well, that's the game, then he's like, no, bro, I had two turnovers. I can't turn the ball over. And that's the thing about the playoff football. They didn't what They turned over the ball three times forty intercept like that. It had been amazing and then all of a sudden, you know, mistakes, mistakes, mistakes three turnovers, and like I said, you got to take it from bloody hands in the playoffs and especially in the super Bowl and the and the Bills.
Speaker 1: Did You're talking about perception.
Speaker 2: The perception is that the officials play favorite, certainly with Patrick.
Speaker 1: Mahomes consciously, subconsciously.
Speaker 6: No, I honestly, I think Pat is a you know, hones. He superman when he wants to, and he's figured that out. He's an artist, and look, you can say he should just you shouldn't use the art of the presence of mind that he has on the field to lure people into trouble. He's like the kid down the streets like, hey, let's go down here, and you know this will be fun. Try it, you know, like no bro, And he lures officials into the same way. I think in so many ways he's just you have to. You might you might say I hate Patrick Mahomes because he gets presperential retreatment. He got Look trust me on this now, he's not the officials get get graded. All they're thinking is I want to get it right. I want to get it right because I mean to get graded in the NFL and I want to run the Super Bowl and I want to I want to have a playoff game. Like that's all that's going through their minds. They are not thinking, oh wow, I got to help the Chiefs out. Now everyone on the outside is like, why are they opened out the chiefs? Patrick has he's like kid to lures you, Like he he's even luresing the officials because he's like that. He has a way of giving a sense that that was that was a foul.
Speaker 2: Did you get preferential treat Did you in Montana get preferential treatment?
Speaker 6: It's a different time, Dan, You might say preferential treatment means that they didn't really get to l w in the growing in the way. Rather they got you in the they got you in the chest. You know what I mean? Like, no, that's a preferential treatment is that they didn't actually draw blood, Like hey, no blood this time, So that's good.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: But I think I think you had you had officials that your friends, you know what I mean, Like like you got to Jerry, Mark Bright and and and uh just guys that you've ran into all the time in all the big games, and you had conversations all the times. Like I remember Jerry was great because you throw a ball. It was tough ball, you know, led the receiver open, you know, in traffic, and he's you'd get up from getting pounded and goes, hey, that's a good ball, nice throw, you know, like he was a fan.
Speaker 2: Did you ever get an official gift? No, of course, like you pause there for a moment, like a jersey, a football?
Speaker 1: Did you ever know Christmas?
Speaker 6: Jim Tunney was my favorite? But like, no, you know, I would I have never other than Jim I spoke. He became a friend later in the area. Uh, and uh you know the story when uh one of the officials, Uh, I did get professional treatment briefly because his daughter. He says, you know, you see, he's in law school and when I was going to law school too, and he's like, you guys should go on a date, you know. And I'm like, all right, fine, you know, and uh and then I got foul, I mean I got hit and he threw the flag and he says, she likes Mexican, you know, and like, let's miss up.
Speaker 1: So wait a minute, if it came out you were.
Speaker 6: Dating, dive into this one.
Speaker 2: If you were not dating, I'm not bringing up Marie Osmon, how long did you date Marie Ansman.
Speaker 6: Oh, we had a couple of dates for it's a couple.
Speaker 2: You're scrambling. Now you're not getting preferential treatment.
Speaker 6: That's all right, that's what I do. That's what of the game's come to me. Dan, It's twenty twenty five minutes my game.
Speaker 2: So just don't man imagine if it came out that Josh Allen was dating an official's daughter, you were dating, you.
Speaker 1: Two got an official, then you.
Speaker 6: Could really complain. Then you could really complain instead of.
Speaker 2: Just we didn't know about it because we didn't know that you went out with somebody to get preferential treatment.
Speaker 1: You know what. Super Bowls certainted. Now.
Speaker 6: I did never go out stop, it didn't happen.
Speaker 13: Relax.
Speaker 6: It was just a fun moment that I trying to like light in the moment when you hear it's a tough show. I'm just trying to, you know, bring some you know, ballast to this thing. Man.
Speaker 2: You know what, now you've now you know how the Chargers felt in the Super Bowl when you were lighting them up and you never ever stopped throwing the football.
Speaker 1: Steve Right, Hey.
Speaker 6: Hey, it was it was Mike Shannan told me pregame eight touchdowns, we're throwing eight touchdowns? He did no. He looked at me right in the eye.
Speaker 1: Well you could have.
Speaker 6: See, you know how serious he is. He's like, he's Mike, let's go over it against Shanahan.
Speaker 1: So he would like.
Speaker 6: We were a freak game and we were going over it again.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 6: Well, you know how long the Super Bowl is. It goes forever, right, And so finally he's like, let's go over it again. Let's go over again, Mike. I can't go over it again. Man. I know you love to go over it again. I do too, but we can't go over it again. He goes, Okay, eight touchdowns.
Speaker 1: You know you were the leading rusher in that game too.
Speaker 6: Those are the days, Dan, what it could have been. Remember when Shannan she came into halftime. You know what he did and he looked me dead in the eye and he went like this four and so that's halftime. So when they took me out with six, he was he was pissed. But that's Mike. That's why Kyle's That's why Kyle's great, great innovator, an amazing play caller, because he's like his dad, Like they like father like son, that apple didn't have fall fall from the tree because that Mike was Mike was all about pounding people into absolute submission. And I loved it. I was amazing.
Speaker 1: And what did we learn today?
Speaker 2: Did we learn that Steve young career tainted a little bit dated an official's daughter just to get preferential treatment. Okay, I mean I respect it. I mean that you're you're a winner, is what you are, stud whatever it takes.
Speaker 6: I'm a Dodger, as you know. That's that's what runs deep in the blood.
Speaker 2: Yes, yep, that baseball career. They're still talking about it. But I could have what I could have been, Dan, you were the Shoho Tani of Greenwich, Connecticut.
Speaker 6: What I could have been? Yeah, you know how hard it is to be to beat your way out of the mead streets of Greenwich.
Speaker 1: You did it. You did it.
Speaker 6: That is not easy, bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about a round of applause for Steve everything over the time you.
Speaker 1: Did it.
Speaker 13: Things.
Speaker 6: You're tough out here, man.
Speaker 1: No, no, somehow you you did it.
Speaker 6: We're very wed. We trudge along.
Speaker 2: So when you went to BYU, your BMW was used like they didn't give you a new one.
Speaker 6: Bro, sixty five Oldsobil Dynamic eighty eight. My dad drove out. He's like, hey, you know, if you need a car, uh, you know, we got the old olds here that you know. And then I'm like, I don't. I'm in Utah, that's thirty thousand miles away. He goes, I'll drive it out. You know, it'll be fine and great. Young freaking drives it out, drives it across the country. I'm like, Dad, that thing is you're not gonna get You're not gonna get off the Queen you know, the Queen's Expressway. You're not gonna I mean, let alone, you know, getting over the throat to neck like you're wrong direction, Dan, I understand.
Speaker 1: Okay, don't worry. You're on a round.
Speaker 6: Just leave it alone.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, we're gonna go the long way. I hope you have a great day.
Speaker 6: You're the best.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Steve. That's Steve Young referential treatment. Let's go out with the officials daughter. She likes Mexican food. All right, Well, take a break. We'll give you our best and worst of the weekend after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app where no Jerry Jones and the Cowboys still looking for a coach while two of their former coordinators are coaching in the NFC title game, Kellen More, offensive coordinator for the Eagles, and Dan Quinn, former defensive coordinator for the Cowboys, now coaching the Commanders. I saw where the Eagles brought in Eddie or No, the Bears brought in Eddie George.
Speaker 1: I think that's thirteen candidates. I like it.
Speaker 2: George has very very very very little coaching experience. But if this is a Rooney rule that you're bringing in, okay, But I mean, after a while, if you're bringing in that many, do you really know what you're looking for? And that's the thing that I keep coming back to do some of these teams really know who they're looking for. Also, Lincoln Riley's name was mentioned USC head coach Dallas might be bringing him in. I just I said from the outset, I didn't think the Dion story was real. But Edwarder when he joined us certainly sounded like it was a real possibility. But I think that's kind of calmed down just a little bit. We'll give you our best and worst of the weekend. Also fill in the blank. How about Chris and Syracuse joining us on the program? Hi, Chris, Hey Dan?
Speaker 3: Hey, you know, Dan, the people who run the NFL are pretty darn smart, and I don't think they're going to risk their billion dollar industry to try to get the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. And I got a best and worst to throw at you. Yeah, my worst lack of use of Derrick Henry. And I remember when Joe Walton was the coach of the New York Jets and Freeman McNeil like grand the ball thirty eight times, and at a press conference after the game, somebody asked him why he ran him so much, and you just said, when you have a cannon, you fire it. And Freeman McNeil is no Derrick Henry. And best to the Washington Command your commanders, and in particular Dan Quinn. And you know after how his last Super Bowl when he was the head coach went, I'd love to see that guy and get another crack at it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Chris, good to hear from you, Buddha in San Francisco. Hi, Buddha.
Speaker 3: Ah, have a dream.
Speaker 8: DP, we're all quarterback, get officiated the thing. Wow, we're all official. Stop making phantom calls. Well then, from a home seven years as the NFL starter, and about the stuff his seventh AFC Championship game, I mean, I gotta tip my hat to that. Best of the weekend and Josh Allen, he won this weekend in my opinion, Dan MVP and his movement at game's end was just honorable. He went straight for Lamar give him some dapt I thought that was solid and classy gesture. Worst of the weekend, Well, this one's hard. DP at the three way tie between the Lions being depleted and stunned at home and then the Ravens forgetting they had Derreck Henry in the second half and Mark Andrews literally dropping the ball.
Speaker 6: Not good.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Budha Todd beston Worst of the weekend.
Speaker 12: Best of the weekend the performance by and composure of We mentioned it a number of times. Commanders working quarterback Jayden Daniels twenty two to thirty one for two hundred ninety nine yards two tds, sixteen rushers for fifty one yards and completed a couple of fourth down passes to keep a couple of touchdown drives alive. Worst of the weekend officiating in the Texans cheachs game over protecting Patrick Mahomes most of the Texans, letting Travis Kelcey do whatever he wanted it on the field.
Speaker 1: Seating best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 4: My best of the weekend is actually watching the Ravens players and coaching staff sort of rally around Mark Andrews and be like, no, no, no, no, not his fault.
Speaker 1: We wouldn't be here without him.
Speaker 4: I can't imagine how terrible he's feeling even this morning waking up, but he must just feel awful. That's one of those They could win three Super Bowls moving forward, and Mark Andrews is going to remember how this feels more than any of those wins.
Speaker 2: So he really feel terrible for that guy. Yeah, he didn't meet with the media after the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but his teammates have his back, which is which is really great. My worst of the weekend is watching Patrick Mahomes flop. That drives me crazy.
Speaker 2: I understand why he does it, as long as you're going to get the calls.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 4: I mean it's well, I shouldn't say it. However, you can't dance around the sideline that long for this many seasons.
Speaker 2: Somebody's gonna how many times have I said this? Somebody is going to take the penalty, somebody is going to pop him. Old school football, he would have been popped already. Yeah, Marvin Best and Worst of the weekend.
Speaker 1: Best of the weekend, Steve Spagnola. We heard a lot of bags. What's he gonna dial up here? That's right, Hey, they got after him.
Speaker 6: I mean c J.
Speaker 9: Stroud, Chiefs defense, eight sacks, unbelievable performance. I don't know if you call this best or worst, but Caitlin Clark sitting next to Taylor Swift.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure how people felt about that.
Speaker 2: But wow, well there's a certain part of the population that didn't like it.
Speaker 9: Like, you know, what, if you guys are really sick of us, you're prepared to.
Speaker 14: Yes, exactly, Paulie. Best and worst. I'll go with Bill's wide receiver Khalil Shakir. He's a really good player that doesn't get a lot of coverage. Seven targets, six catches, he's becoming.
Speaker 1: You didn't have a lot of coverage from the you know, yeah, the.
Speaker 5: Really nice player really helped them out yesterday when their offense wasn't doing a lot worst of the weekend. It's weird because it was a fantastic play. The fact that because the Lions lost the touchdown catch, the one handed diving touchdown catch by Sam Laporta, the tight end of the Allions that goes into the ether. Now it goes away instead of being a great play on the way to a super Bowl and one of the best catches I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: No hyperple. Yeah, that was remarkable and it will be lost.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like Julio Jones is catching the Super Bowl and the loss to the Patriots. It's like never brought up. Alright, one more hour to go. We're going to play fill in the blank. We love to do that. It's kind of an emergency edition. I think a Monday fill in the blank. More of your phone calls as well. Operator Tyler is sitting by a seven to seven to three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handle a DP show two hours of the books on this Monday, one more to go.
Speaker 1: Right after this