Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: The governor of Connecticut joins us right now, Governor, it's so serious. I think I just really want to lean on this, which is the future of your Democratic Party. When you grew up and you grew up advantaged, there was a Republican Long Island and Republican Connecticut and such. Do the Democrats have the gift to give up their majority because of a weakness of Democratic Party leadership? Could that happen?
Speaker 1: No? I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I think there's some seasonality back and forth when it comes to a politics. Obviously, Donald Trump had a big win and he got his budget bill passed. I think within a year you'll see the effects of that budget bill, and you'll see a Democrat saying, you know, this is really hammering work in families in the middle class, and you'll see the political tides twist and turned.
Speaker 2: New York City has turned upside down. I look in the Connecticut Mirror CT Mirror conversation with you. You say that mister Mumdonie ran a hell of a rasist folks as the arch progressive running for mayor of New York after a victory over Governor Cuomo and others. How should centrist Democrats respond to a generational change?
Speaker 3: Look, I think that he did run a bright campaign, and we've got a lot to learn from, especially guys my age, like what he did in terms of social media.
Speaker 1: Young people hadn't voted for.
Speaker 3: A long time, but they don't often vote in primaries, and they often don't vote in the cities, and they sure as had voted, So credit or credits do Look, he and I have very different styles, but you know, at the end of the day, I've got a universal pre k, a down payment there, pre natal education, doing everything we can to they get easier for people to get ahead in life and make life a little more affordable.
Speaker 1: So there we have a lot in common, but we have different styles.
Speaker 2: Governor.
Speaker 4: President Trump obviously has a great skill at just you know, commanding the narrative here and just kind of taking for in terms of other folks, maybe taking a lot of the oxygen out of the room. What are the Democrats need to do from a messaging standpoint heading into the midterm elections.
Speaker 1: Look, he's got a very loud voice, sort of hurky jerky every day it changes, but he dominates the landscape very tough for you know, me as a governor.
Speaker 3: When you just don't know what the budget's going to be one day to the next, what the tariffs are going to be, it's tough to invest and make long term commitments there. I think the Democrats has just got to be clear as day. We're fighting for the middle class. We believe in them bottom up. We believe in this state of Connecticut. We've had more new small business startups than ever before.
Speaker 1: Those are a lot of small businesses.
Speaker 3: Starting up on Owaley Avenue, New Haven, and I think that's how you grow wealth, and I think that's a get our cities back to life, and I think that's how you fight for working families in.
Speaker 1: The middle class.
Speaker 4: Governor, it seems like for both parties, perhaps the extreme right the extreme left seems to be driving the politics for each of those parties. Is there even a center left for either party or both parties?
Speaker 1: It's getting smaller.
Speaker 3: Because I'm there and you're right, I think, you know, after Donald Trump's election, the Republicans are a lot.
Speaker 1: Less likely to want to talk to me.
Speaker 3: You know, I always had a big table in an open door and a lot of people look at me and say that it looks a little like Republican and the Democrats are sort of really fighting Trump every day, and if you don't go after them on a daily basis, you're sort of being weak in terms of your principles. So you're right, the middle is getting very small and that's not a.
Speaker 2: Good thing for America. And that a lot whe us from Connecticut. We continue. We welcome all of you across the nation, and certainly in the Bloomberg eleven three area. Here an interesting conversation of Republicans and Democrats. In the summer of twenty twenty five, Governor Lamont Bloomberg wrote this up on Paul Tudor Jones noted hedge fund dude exiting to Palm Beach, Florida. There's a fear in the Tri state area, and frankly, there's a fear in Boston and Washington with adverse policy that migration will continue. How have you tried to respond to fancy people in Greenwich? Is a climb on their Hinckley picnic boat in a heads South, How have you responded to that threat?
Speaker 3: Tom? I think twofold one, we were raising taxes on an every other year basis, going back at ten years in this state.
Speaker 1: That hasn't happened on my watch. We haven't raised tax rates.
Speaker 3: I think that gives people some comfort that we're getting our fiscal house in order and we're not going to balance the budget by raising taxes. And also, jo people, look, this is the state, the tower where.
Speaker 1: You grow up. This is where your children or your grandchildren are. You can watch them, you know, on zoom from Palm Beach. You can be right here with them every day.
Speaker 3: And it's something to be said for making sure this is a place where you can stay in the community where you grew up and where your family is.
Speaker 4: So governor, what's the what do you think the future is of this Democratic Party here? How does the Democratic Party regain some momentum, any momentum here, because it just feels like it has absolutely zero momentum at this point.
Speaker 1: I think you're already seeing it happen.
Speaker 3: I think you know the Trump you know budget, it's going to really impact middle class families. You're going to see what it means in terms of folks getting thrown off of healthcare.
Speaker 1: You're going to see what it means in terms of folks and.
Speaker 3: Not getting the food benefits we had fifty million dollars of cuts. Just the portal turned off three days ago for after school programs.
Speaker 1: I think this is going to impact middle class family. So right now it's all beaches and gream and tax cuts. But when do you see how this impacts your everyday life?
Speaker 2: Governor one final question. We have to go back to our discussion of a few days ago, heated debate within Bloomberg surveillance and a huge nationwide response. Governor Lamont is a traditionalist of old money in America. Do you go for the cold main lobster roll or are you loyal to the warm Connecticut lobster roll.
Speaker 5: You mentioned the word Connecticut. That makes it easy for me. But you know the lobsters are fleeing Maine too. They're going north to Canada. So you got to watch out. The times are turning.
Speaker 2: We'll need a new post go ahead, well, we'll need a new policy on that, governorment, we're out of time. Thank you so much for joining us. I believe that was a voice for the warm role that.
Speaker 4: You were surely, I mean, you know exactly.
Speaker 2: You take both of one of each us. Thank you so much. Connecticut there and the future of his Democratic Party