Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Our Week ten reaction presented by Uber eats get game day deals all season long on uber eat Now. Before we get into this week's analysis, I just got to say, and maybe you can relate to this, watching football, talking about football, thinking about football. I don't know what it is. It just gets my appetite going. I start thinking about burgers and wings and tacos, you know, all the game day stuff I love to eat. Fortunately, when that happens, all I have to do is reach for my Uber eats app and order up wherever it is that I happen to be craving. Oh let's see what I got today. Taco Bell Baby perfect timing game day deliveries dialed in. I shouldn't eat on camera, should I? I'll bite Taco Bell two crunch Wrap Supremes.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: You know with Uber eats, you know, with Uber eats, you can actually score buy one, get one free crunch wrap supremes from Taco Bell now through November seventeenth. Perfect for all the game day cravings or even for your day after game cravings anytime.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: As the official on demand food delivery partner of the NFL, uber Eatz is keeping the deals going all season long, So we're taking out some musk grab deals on Britos, Burger's, Nachos, Tacos, whatever, all season long, order Taco bell on Uber Eats now for game day terms apply see the app for details.
Speaker 1: Have fun.
Speaker 2: Oh a lot, Oh my god. All right, it's Sunday. We got a lot to break down. There's a lot of moving parts. Today. We got Aaron Rodgers has become Michael Jordan with the Wizards, among other things. I want to start with a game. I thought it was the lack of the year, San Francisco by a touchdown over Tampa. San Francisco beats Tampa twenty three to twenty. At one point, I was rooting for Baker Mayfield. He was playing so hard they're grabbing his face. I mean, he the kid was just and the Niners special teams are so bad. I think it cost him total sixteen points today I could be missing and Brock Purtty had a wonderful last drive. But this game wasn't close. I was just looking at total yards. San Francisco had double average, the almost double per yards per play. Brock Purty was twenty five to thirty six, three hundred and fifty three yards two touchdowns. The fact it was close to me is an indictment on Shanahan. These special teams now are in the running for the worst in the league. And you're a you know the Niners as well as anybody. What did you make of that mess?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just think it's an overall embarrassment. And you know Deebo gets into it with a long snapper when he just tells the guys to lock in, like I'm sorry, the long snapper and the kicker are like that. The uh. To me, they are in theory should be the most irrelevant, never should be heard of or guy in the company. And yet with the forty nine Ers, their special teams unit always somehow overshadows the offense and the defense. And to me, it's on the head coach, like he does not care about special teams, which most people don't. Right, if you're gonna go to the driving range, usually don't spend any time putting, but you probably should, but no one ever does. Just like every head think about McVeigh, Lafleur and Kyle, the three top young offensive guys, all their special teams usually are pretty bad. Yeah, why because they do not care? Who are the two old guys Andy and Belichick. What did they always take really seriously special teams because in this this is not college where if your team is so good, it doesn't really matter. All these games, the majority of them unless you're the Jets, are close and today to miss the field goals. If the guy's not healthy, he rolls his ankle, he can't be out there kicking field goals. Colin, Now, I understand you draft him in the third round. You're not gonna cut him, but like, that's a pretty big injury for a kicker. Yeah, high ankle sprain. I clearly he was not ready. It wasn't even close. They got very lucky that he made that game winning field goal. I also think there's a coach, Liam Cohen, the offensive coordinator for the I hear all these names. That guy should be on everyone's interview list because for that I thought them and the Chiefs were both the Broncos and the Niners a day coming off that Monday night game. Both teams exhausted Tampa through you know, all their chips in the middle of the table in that game. The Chiefs are just exhausted. Whatever home game against the Broncos.
Speaker 3: That both would really be flat. The Chiefs kind of were what we expected. Oh yeah, the Bucks were fighting their ass off. I mean, how well Baker's played. He's dramatically better than he was last year, and he was good last year. So I just think the forty nine or special teams is a reflection of their head coach who does not care. It'd be like it'd be like if we had audio issues right all over the volume, Like.
Speaker 1: Eventually it's like, wouldn't that be kind of on you? Like, Okay, it happens whatever. But Colin he does not care, and it's every single week now. Their special teams are killing them.
Speaker 2: I also thought about something because brock Prudy in the fourth was fantastic. Ten of fourteen, a touchdown over one hundred yards. Brock Brock kind of saved him, played really really well down the stretch. But Ricky Piersall had a game today and my takeaway was, I don't know how great he'll be, but with all the I mean, George Kittle that play in the back of the end zone, God, George is great.
Speaker 1: How has he been this cela every week for them?
Speaker 2: I mean he's like old Gronk Whenever you doubt him. I mean, Travis Kelsey, same thing. But the Brandon Ayuk signing now, is that what they miss? Ricky Piersoll's here, Kittle's still an elite tight end. Christian McCaffrey back. You know, he wasn't great today. I just thought they averaged six point eight yards per play. Tampa averaged three point seven yards per play. How it's close is remark And when I would tell you.
Speaker 1: Penalty penalties took. I mean they had so many defensive penalties, hands of the face, face mass that were just killers. Collin on third down that gave them life.
Speaker 2: It's I know Kyle Shamahan is a good coach, but I do feel like this organization leaks a lot of oil and we don't call them out a lot because they mostly went. I mean, wasn't this the first time they'd won back to back games all season?
Speaker 1: I mean it has to be. I mean, they're five and four to me coming off of bye with a team that is running on fumes, that just played in an overtime game on the road on Monday night. Whose best players, I mean, their best player on the team is on the sideline with a hamstring issue. I would say one of their other top five players, shattered his ankle, they have no wide receivers, and for this game to be close, it was really pretty embarrassing, you know. And this is a game that I would say the last three years, coming off of bye, the forty nine ers getting healthy. I think they win by twenty plus points. I mean I expected this to be like thirty five to fifteen, say something like that, I thought. And the kicker situation, I think it was very reflective the kicker and then the long snapper getting in with Debos like, hey, guys, Debos made huge plays in this game. Let's just keep our mouth shutt and try to make a field goal like you're not in the position, be over there yapping around like you are losing this team games right now, or putting them in position. Because if they would have lost today with Arizona, I mean just absolutely mauling, they would have been in major trouble. Right, they would have been four and five. You have the Cardinals now at six and four, who look like, I don't know, playing as well as top five team in the NFL in terms of the way they're playing today.
Speaker 2: Right, and the Rams are now healthy.
Speaker 1: Are getting healthy. Yeah, So it would have this, This was must win for the forty nine ers. They get Seattle next week, who they've owned, but they do not feel anywhere near the team that was a legit Super Bowl threat. These last years they got issues. And it's not Kittle, and it's not you know, Party's playing well. It's not Trent Williams. It's all these weird bosses playing well. Fred's playing well. But for some reason, they dominate teams and you look up, You're like, it's thirteen to ten. What the hell's going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the numbers are incredible. Okay, Steelers beat Washington twenty eight, twenty seven. So I went today and I said, and I watched Russell. So the Steelers are three and zero with Russell Wilson averaging about thirty a game. It's the first time in several years they have the offense moving. And I went back and I took Russell Wilson with Pete Carolyn, Seattle, Russell Wilson the one year with Sean Payton, and Russell Wilson with Mike Tomlin, the three times he's had competent coaches, and you know what he gives you. He moves sixty four percent completion percentage a passer rating over one hundred. He doesn't miss any starts. He's not great from the pocket, but he throws a really nice deep ball. And when I watch what he's done to Pittsburgh he has brought it's a little big Ben. He's a totally different player. He's brought the deep ball back to the Steelers. So now you have veteran just say it out loud, veteran coach. Great defense, tough at home, solid run game, good deep ball offense. That's pretty good football team. That's pretty good team.
Speaker 1: Yeah. To me, that stat that they show that they were averaging twenty points with fields and their averaging over thirty points with him, I mean, that's a pretty big difference. That's a pretty much And what do they get a game winning touchdown on the deep ball throw to Mike Williams? Yeah, what do what are their three best wide receivers now adding Mike Williams with pickens and their tight end big guys, throw them up, give them fifty to fifty balls, because they're not fifty to fifty balls with those guys right there, seventy five to twenty five balls with those guys. So I thought at times a day like this where you gotta be careful about writing your takes down at halftime, Like the gap Jayden looked way better. Their offense was rolling. But Russell there is something to be said. I think he can be kind of corny and kind of just stupid the way that he comes off like a politician at times. But he is very steady Eddy. You know, he doesn't go into the tank when it looks just looked off early. And the Fields he also can make the throw that that lob touch throw that won them the game that a handful of bet the average to blow average quarterbacks can't make. It was a problem with Trubisky forever. You know, Fields is a more talented Trubisky, but cannot make that layered kind of lollipop throw. And at this point in time, that is Russell's go to throw. And even back when he was better, Win did his game like when he got DK metcalf. So you give him these big targets. Sutton like they had some plays at Denver, right, throw it up, let them go make a play. That was a big win for Pittsburgh. Collin because I thought I was thoroughly impressed with Washington. I'm like, this is gonna be a great win, and then Russell drives him right down the field. Even calmness, there is something to be said on that game winning drive that he led them on. When those guys look at him in the huddle like this ain't his first rodeo. That's right, Say what you want about him. He's not near the same guy. But like you look at him in the huddle, you go, this guy has been in this moment, you know, fifty plus times in his career on Sunday night football and Monday night football in the playoffs. So it's he did. There's a calmness to him that you can't really dispute. I'm not the biggest fan, but there's the numbers speak for themselves. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean again, with Russell, Pittsburgh dominated time of possession because again.
Speaker 1: For the running game now is a lot better, it feels like with him in the game.
Speaker 2: And Washington had no run game. So again, the early highlights from the young player with a great offensive coordinator at half, I wrote down, Wow, Wow, Jaden makes Russell look small, and then all of a sudden, you look at the last three or four drives, Pittsburgh established his physicality, you know, a lot of teams defense plays well early, but those three hundreds, if the other team's running on you in Pittsburgh, was those three hundred pound guys seven play drive, nine play drive, ten play drive. Those guys don't have the same pass rush, And all of a sudden in the second half, that pass rush that had really stemied Pittsburgh in the first half, Now you're not getting the same juice, you're not getting the same energy. And in the end, I thought, I mean, it wasn't that Jaden was bad, but I mean it was you have one hundred and five.
Speaker 1: I don't think his numbers reflected I thought he was fantastic in the first half.
Speaker 2: I thought he was really good.
Speaker 1: I thought, you know, for a guy who throws these kind of frozen ropes, he hits his guys in stride and gives them the ability to keep on running. His touchdown the sideline is fantastic.
Speaker 2: End of the third quarter Terry McLaurin. He also does something that Russell has found Pickens that is his guy at Jayden Daniels. Terry McLaurin, like, it's really important. It didn't take Jalen or Russell long to figure out you gotta have a guy.
Speaker 1: Well, and I'm sure we'll get to the Bears. One thing that can't be argued, and you see this in that game, for your star wide receivers to believe in your quarterback. And like the guy like George Pickens clearly is on board with this move. Why then it fits him. Terry McLaurin, who has you know, overachieved given who he's played with for the last couple of years, feels like he's you know, hit the lottery right now. And you can see it in his play, just how much he smiles. I saw it the forty nine Ers forever. They didn't believe in Trey Lance, Deebo Samuel though. Those guys didn't like they didn't think he was good enough, right so, and I think you're seeing it in Chicago. Some of these guys, starting with DJ mor A, kind of turned on him and it's very reflective. Like clearly the Steelers, I don't know if this is true. You'd have to see their heart. Monitor feel like they're playing a little harder on offense for Russell Wilson in Washington, it's an incredible story. I know they lost today, but how and they're playing the Eagles. They easily could lose again on Thursday, but man, what impressive year by dan Quinn and that that operation isn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they've lost. Washington's lost to the Ravens and the Steelers and the Bucks when the Bucks were healthy. So I kind of feel we're getting a little bit of a reality check. Washington's a little bit better story than they are a team. Yeah, coming into this game, I felt they were both good stories, the Russell Wilson story the Washington story. I think Pittsburgh's the better team. I mean, let's be honest about Pittsburgh too. They had that fake punt, didn't work and they fumbled at the one. Pittsburgh really did themselves no favors in this football game. So whereas Washington got, you know, it took advantage of Pittsburgh's special teams blunder. And that's not to say it was a lucky win by Pittsburgh or to you know, marginalize what Washington is. But I do feel like once you look at Washington against Baltimore, Pittsburgh and the healthy Bucks, they're a great story. They're a good football team. They're a good football team. I think Pittsburgh going on the road today. My takeaway is if you just take out that fumble on the one yard line, it kind of felt like they controlled the clock, I mean, the dominating time of possession.
Speaker 1: Well, to me where it's huge as they play the Ravens this upcoming a week, so you win that game instead of having the same record as them with three losses, you have a game advantage on them, and that that little buffer. I mean today, same thing with Washington. Right clearly, the Eagles we're gonna meet, you know, dominate this under man cowboy team. Will you go into this Thursday night call, that's Thursday Night Football Commanders at the Philadelphia And that's a pretty big game. But I think, like what you're saying, I think most people, if we take a deep breath, go the Eagles should win that game. Yeah, you know, the Eagles are gonna be favoring that game and they probably will win that game. And that's if Washington ends up ten and seven or eleven and six. But with a lot of losses to these playoff teams, it's an incredible story. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also Washington played their starters to the last snap. Philadelphia is resting guys in the second half.
Speaker 1: Keenny Picketts in like the of the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: So I mean literally, Philadelphia's got their starters, are playing forty two snaps, Washington's played sixty five. So I think Philadelphia thursdays to play. Time to take a look at this weekend's tastiest matchup, Sunday Night food Ball, brought to you by Uber Eats. You know, it's funny, a lot of the games that were lobsided are actually great stories for us. So Arizona beat the Jets thirty one to six, and I'm looking at my I'm looking at Aaron Rodgers now, and when you put him on the same field as Kyler Murray, And we've been saying this now for several weeks. Arizona's got dudes offensively. How about McBride today that move running over Jets players. At one point, Kyler Murray had seventeen straight completions. So I have two takes. Number one is Aaron's become a little like the Washington Wizards. MJ called out a teammate, Kwame Brown. Mike Williams had a buddy as a coach, Hacket, Doug Collins had a buddy as a player, Lazard, Charles Oakley, under five hundred, and there were moments for MJ and Aaron, but he looks like an old man, and that Jets offense is an old man offense. So that's my first take. My second take is they blamed Robert Sala. This defense has gotten progressively worse. Sala was the best coach on the staff. They could have gone and they weren't going to beat Buffalo, but this organization, it's almost like in politics, if you lose an election, you have to identify what went wrong. You can't point fingers. You got to go quick, here's what we did wrong. Democrats will figure this out eventually, but that's the job. When you're losing. You have to identify why we're losing. The JETSA said, it's Sala, No bro. The defense now stinks and it's got good personnel. So I mean to me thirty one to six, I look at this. Kyler was Aaron Rodgers in the first half too, for forty yards. Now he got junk in the second half. But you know what it feels like a little bit. I do hold quarterbacks responsible for energy and body language, and because you know, it's like in the NBA, you follow the lead, the work ethic of the best player. Some of this is just on Aaron. I see no energy, I don't love the body language. I see no juice. And I'm watching that Arizona team. Those guys they like playing with Kyler. Whatever you say about the video game stuff, they like playing with them.
Speaker 1: Well, I think at this point in time, you know, there can't be that many players who are playing better than Kyler Murray right now since he returned from that injury, including last year. They are nine and nine like that. That's a real football team. Yeah, you know, and this team, I don't see how you watch them the day and last week they are dominating bad teams, like killing them. To me, they are. They sure look like a playoff team to me. And the Jets look like what I thought all along, a team full of mercenaries, a team with zero connection to each other. Hassan Reddicks since the moment he came back only because the owner ripped up his contract and did is I think Schefter said, no one has ever got a rework contract who held out as long as him and basically got the fines thrown away, that did not get a contract extension. It's unprecedented. What happened, and that reflects everything that's going on. They show Woody Johnson that the organization's a mess, starting from the owner the quarterback, like he is always what he's been, and anyone in the league will tell you listen for a long time. People with the Packers kind of rolled their eyes. But he was arguably, beside Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, the most important player one of them in the league. And he was more physically gifted than those guys, and his fundamentals weren't like those guys. So as he's aged what happens today. There was a play I forget the D lineman, he is a rotational D lineman. For him. I looked him up. He weighs almost three hundred pounds. He ran Aaron Rodgers down. Rogers ended up getting rid of the ball, but ran him down. With these that this is not a two hundred and forty pound linebacker running him down. This is a guy that weighs three hundred pounds and got within a couple steps. And Rogers used to be able to kind of do his version of like what Lamar does so well, kind of backwards scramble runaway. Can't even dream of doing that anymore. And that team, you know, the Cardinals defensive coordinator is thirty two years old. He was born in nineteen ninety three. What we witnessed today was a clinic put on by a guy born in nineteen ninety three against this forty year old future Hall of Famer Adam DeVante. Adams Garrett, I've been hearing about Breyce Hall's the greatest thing since Barry Sanders or Walter Payton. Give me a break. The hype on this team far exceeded the realities even if things went well. What happened today. Tyron Smith, who's had a bad year, legendary player, over the hill player, got hurt today. He gets hurt a lot. So it's like they were so dependent on all these guys they signed Mike Williams. Remember, everyone was so excited they signed by Willy's right, it's not even Thanksgiving. He's on another teams. So I just think this Jets situation was I think you saw an organization that just has a direction, has a coaching staff that's real, against a team that has an NBA mercenary feel to it. No one cares about. And like you said, the players aren't near what they once were. I mean DeVante Adams, who, let's face it is not near what he once was in the peak of his powers. Rogers a shell of himself. The Reddicks, I mean, they're How about Sauce Gardener. You know you've talked about Trey McBride. He looks like Kittle two point zero. He threw sauce Gardner off him like he was me or you. You know, he didn't even have to put his hand to go to the ground. He just kind of shoved him off. This is supposed to be one hundred million dollar corner. He's had a horrendous season. Well, what usually happens with younger players, Like younger people, most young people are followers, and when you have a lot of disconnect, coaches getting fired, a bunch of weird stuff, it's easy to kind of stray and breist hall sauce Gardener like, it just feels like they're all over the map. I don't even put it on them, I put it on the organization. You think sauce Gardner would look like that if he was playing for Andy Reid, No chance. But that's what happens when you put talented players in dysfunctional places. They usually fall apart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 1: The Jets stick calling. I mean, they are bad. They got We haven't talked since Thursday night. Game. Two of their touchdowns came with Garrett Wilson. He didn't use his left arm. I mean that's pretty big outlier, right, I mean that they easily could have lost that game if it wasn't for one of the greatest catches we've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, And the question becomes, does Aaron come back? It's when when Brett Farv went to the Jets, he had a lot left in the tank. He went on to Minnesota after that and had a couple of huge years. Aaron's done. He just there's just nothing there and he never he never had the gamesmanship or sort of the the fox whole quality of Brett Farv. Anyway, when you get to be an older radio host, an older quarterback, or an older CEO, you'll have diminishing skills, You'll have less energy. What you want to do is be able to kind of galvanize the group, rally people around you because you can't put in eighty hours a week. You can put in sixty five, but you have to rely on people. I've always said, Aaron's not a galvanizer. He's not a foxhole guy. He's a bit more of a bayler than a baller. He's a guy that if that's why I has so few career come from behind wins. If you go back to twenty twenty two, Kirk Cousins has I think fifteen, Aaron has six, you know, and they're both old guys coming off of surgery. Both have had two teams. Cousins isn't cool, so you don't think he's a great come from behind quarterback. He's outstanding.
Speaker 1: Aaron's not.
Speaker 2: He's living. You know, he's the band now touring and you know he's doing old songs. There's nothing new, and I don't feel there's a good I don't think there's a ton of energy. That was this week Sunday Night Food all brought to you by Uber Eats as the official on demand delivery partner of the NFL. Uber eats has the best game day deals all season long. Order now for game Day. The Emirates NBA Cup is here. You can win big getting in on the action at DraftKings Sports Book. It's cool, official sports betting partner of the NBA. All thirty teams split into six groups every Tuesday and Friday, playing for the right to advance in a single elimination in season tourney. It was great last year, culminating in the NBA Cup Championship in Vegas first time. Here's something special new Draft Kings customers bet five bucks to get one hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets. If your bet wins score big, use the code callin. So you download the DraftKings sports book app, please use the code colin. New customers get one hundred and fifty in bonus bets betting just five bucks only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 4: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York call eight seven seven eight ope and WY or text hope and Y four six seven three six nine in Neneticute help is available for a problem gambling Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of boothill Caseno when resorting Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction. VOYD in Ontario bonus Betskspire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue INCE four. Additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNNG dot co slash bball.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about another game. Let's go back to an interesting game. Kansas City beats Denver sixteen to fourteen, and I just i wrote what Kansas City has become is a great moments team. Two for two on fourth down, block to kick, great on third down, only three penalties. They're still trying to figure out what the hell they are a little bit offensively like they don't you know, they know.
Speaker 1: They're this Colin is just ugly. Just keep us in the game and we'll just try to win it with five minutes left.
Speaker 2: But when you have the best coach, the best quarterback, arguably the best defense, the best third down offense, that's enough. I was thinking about this about two weeks ago. About every six years, I went back and looked at it. But every six to seven years a great team wins the Super Bowl. But mostly it's a really good team with no huge hole that coaches can pick on you. In a two week laft for the Super Bowl, when Mahomes didn't have both tackles, he gets routed. If he had one, it would have been a game. Kansas City is not terrible at anything. They're beat up. They're trying to figure out their receiving corps. But because Mahomes is so good and Andy Reid is so clever, it's functional. It makes plays when you have to. I thought this was the game. This was the game I did not pick in Blazing five. It was my last pick. I thought Denver had a chance to win today. Same but the takeaway I had beyond Kansas City doing that Bonnicks That final drive thirteen plays a little bit like brock Purty. You're like, I mean he had eight different receivers today, twenty two to thirty, two hundred and forty five yards, a couple of touchdowns, great final drive. I think all those college starts, like, I think he may have a lower ceiling. But I think Denver is eight five drafted players away and maybe a free agent signing from being a pain in the ass to people. I think I think Denver's pretty interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought this game was way more about Denver than Kansas City. I mean, Kansas City just does this every week. They're going to go fift you know, fifteen and two or sixteen and one, and everyone's going to go. How the hell they do it? Well they do it because like you said, it's the organizational competitive character that they're no how their experience. I mean, they're missing they the best receiver who towards ACL they're starting running back like Kareem Hunt's been an awesome story. There's a big drop off between the Taco and him, huge, So I mean, you get him back hopefully in December. It's a broken leg, so you know that that'll be a big boost for them because they're gonna win like this right twenty one to seventeen twenty. But to me, Denver went in there as they should have short week, Kansas City, a little, gas, a little and they came in ready to win and bo Nicks hit sudden on the on the beautiful touchdown pass. You're like, there's gonna be the game. I thought, like, you know, it's finally the Chiefs just lose twenty eight to fifteen or something, and they just find a way because defensively they're good. Obviously the home crowd is pretty special. But I think Denver this was probably one of their more impressive weeks of the year, even counting their wins, just because like, well, off to see how it breaks out like that. That's seven seed. When you look like, obviously the Jets are done, Cults are in major trouble. You know, when you look at the AFC playoff, the Bengals are screwed. You basically have the Steelers and Ravens. You know, one team's gonna win division. One team's gonna be in. Steelers charge the Chiefs and the Chargers are in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Steelers.
Speaker 1: I think Denver could get the seven seed.
Speaker 2: Colin so do I I think the top is very good Buffalo, Baltimore, Kansas City, and then I think the wild card feels like do.
Speaker 1: You throw Pittsburgh in there too? Though I would do.
Speaker 2: I think let's say Pittsburgh become.
Speaker 1: We'll find out when they play each other this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Baltimore at their best is better than Pittsburgh at their best.
Speaker 1: Agreed.
Speaker 2: So I think this the wild card teams and they don't feel quite as good. Chargers not a ton of juice offensively, but a good team Denver rookie quarterback and Pittsburgh. You have some limitations, I think on you know, I think Russell from the pocket, there's limitations if he was trailing in a game, and he put big heat on him. But I will say with Denver, I mean Mahomes last two games, no picks, first seven games, nine picks. So what Kansas City has basically done, They've gotten those ugly Remember the start of the year were like Jesus, Mahomes has like one or two just horrible pick. They've gotten out of that space. The win for Kansas City is harder than you think because of the short week. But I think to your point, I think you looked at Sean Payton and bow Nicks and I think we could both say he found his Drew Brees. He found his guy. I don't know if he's as good as him, but he found his guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean he's he's definitely made strides. Because it was early. I think I didn't put as much stock into some of the early games in the fourth quarter when he played well, because it's like I don't the context of that the defense gave up. But I do think the last couple of weeks you feel a lot better about it. And let's face it, like there are some rookie quarterbacks playing and obviously Jayden and Daniels, it couldn't have gotten much better. It's one of the great Like, I mean, we saw one of the greatest rookie seasons of all time last year with CJ. Stroud. I would put Jayden Daniels right there, toe to toe of like, geez, it can't be this good, can it. And then you have like Drake May who's on a team that's so shitty. We don't but you're watching me go there's something there. Oh yeah, I would take that guy. And then you watch bo who doesn't have Drake's physical characteristics, who's not as talented. Why one guy goes three the other guy most people thought was overdrafted. But you go with this coach with this infrastructure, their defense. I mean that's the one thing. Like if Sean Payton's has a defense as he did in New Orleans with Drew Brees, they were elite, right, So if you just give it defense, like he'll figure out the offense. Most teams are not Kansas City to me, I think they get to nine wins and they would be the seventh seed. Now the difference though, is, you know, depending on who they play. Right, if you're the seven seed, you're playing the two seeds, So you're playing Baltimore or Buffalo, Like, no one's betting on Denver. I would say, no one's gonna want to see the Chargers as the sixth seeds. Like if you're Baltimore Pittsburgh, that will be a team that like, wait, they're a five point underdog, like who I think Harball would be a team that people would believe in. Or Denver, there's nothing wrong with it. One and done team in the playoffs probably like the Commanders, and you tip your hat to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you look at their schedule, John Denver now hosts the Falcons Dome team cold Weather, then they get they face the Raiders, then they face the Browns at home, then they get the Colts at home, and then they go to the Chargers. I think they match up. It's very close. So to your point, here is the you know, preseason we're like, oh, you know, you look at some of these teams. Then the Broncos end with the Bengals, and by the way, they host the Chiefs in the last week eighteen, Kansas City could be resting guys. At that point, they could be just.
Speaker 1: Why and I'm looking at it right now. Technically at five and five, they are in the seventh spot. Trailed by Indianapolis, who, let's face it, I don't blame them. I think they did the right thing. But the Flacco Anthony Richards things all out of whack. Now. Flacco looks terrible, terrible, and the Bengals, who have this quarterback who's can't play any better, and Jamar Chase, who looks like Jerry Rice in his prime, cannot win games. So you know, you don't feel very and just because of the division they're in, it's just a lot harder when you got to play Pittsburgh in Baltimore right then, they don't get the Raiders even Cleveland now throwing in Jamis as a real team with real players. I would much rather play the Raiders in the Browns. So I like that. That was a pretty devastating loss for the Bengals the other night. And that could be the difference why Denver gets the seventh seed and the Bengals end up eight to nine. I mean, it could just be the different one teams nine and eight, the other team's eight, and it's that big of a difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think Denver schedule right now looks very formidable. Okay, let's talk a game that wasn't nearly as captivating, but it made a statement. New England nineteen Chicago three twenty one straight drives for the Bears, without a touchdown, third straight game, no offensive identity, Caleb under fifty four percent completion rate, third straight game. He's lost one for fourteen on third down. Pitiful at Drake May again, seven different targets. They didn't ask him to do much. You know, they averaged five and a half yards of play with with without you know, much to work with. But I think the story here is, and I've said this, poorly coached teams. Brandon Staley last year start the year. Remember that, Brandon, I think it was last year. They start, They almost beat Miami to start to wild crazy game, and then about week six you're like, man, they're not well coached. And then by like week twelve, the players have quit. A poorly run business can fool people three or four five weeks. I mean that Tennessee win. I mean they were out played by the Titans at home in week one. It was a Will Levis mistake or that's an l I think what you look at this team now is you look at a poorly coach team. There's a lack of belief. There's absolutely no identity. Offensively, they average two point four yards of play. Ryan Poles said last week, we're not making coaching changes. This is not Jacksonville. Chicago is a loud media. Do you fire Matt Eberflus during the season.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think there's a decent chance by the time you know, we wake up or before lunch on Monday, he's relieved of his duties. You can't go back to back games like they have just had when they were a play away from looking like is this team about to win ten or eleven games? And it now feels like if I told you they win one more game the rest of the season. We've talked about their schedule. They're in shambles. They're coaching staff's in embarrassment right now, and it's going to get absolutely destroyed by every fan, and rightfully so. But I also think that, like Ryan Poles, bears responsibility. He drafted Roma Dunza, who we all like. Their offensive line is pitiful and there were countless offensive linemen on the board at pick nine that would have Who's Jim Harbaugh take? He takes an offensive lineman where it's like take a receiver. He's like, no, who would Andy Reid have taken in that spot? He would have taken a guard or a tackle because you have to protect that guy. And they took a wide receiver when they already got multiple wide receivers. And let's face it, they got a problem on their hands because Dj Moore, who for like a five straight year stretch, Everyone in the NFL is like, listen, I don't know this guy. Doesn't matter what quarterback he's playing with. This guy's a stud. People liked him, who's high character. He does not like Caleb like they have an issue, that they have an issue, and they just extended him. Now obviously it's not like if you have to pick one or the other. They have no choice. They're all in on Caleb Williams. But that is a problem for them. And I saw this with the forty nine ers. And I'm not comparing Caleb to Trey Lance. He's obviously much better player. But they never believed in Trey Lance, not the coaching staff, not the front office, the players. Why they wanted Jimmy, Why they had no problem going to Purdy because they see every day in practice. I think we were talking before you jumped on about like I think Nick Wright had a take about like just go with Trey Lance right now, because maybe you get something and best case he just sucks and you lose. You know why you can't do that because Micah Parsons and Ceedee Lamb would be like, what the fuck are we doing? Right? Because they see practice and I think you have this Caleb William situation. Everyone's going to point to Shane Waldron, who actually I always kind of liked, but clearly this is not going well for him, and eber flus Over said is gonna get fired. But there are plays to be made for Caleb and he doesn't look remotely close. Like even if you are a Caleb supporter, which I with you, like most people, I would have drafted them number one overall. But like the draft happened. Now we're ten games in. There are plays. It's not all his fault, but I think we also have to acknowledge like Drake May plays in an organization that's in Tron. His the former head coach who's one of the most legendary sports figures of all times, ripping drowed mail. Like three weeks ago, everyone's ripping the owner the coaching staff's more than questionable. There's not that much talent. You watch Drake mayor're like, God, he was the best quarterback by a wide margin on the field, no question. And the other thing Colin is like, let's use Jared Goff as an example. Remember that rookie season. It felt like is this guy, this guy even an NFL player? But the one thing you knew Jared Goff could do in college was like he was a pocket quarterback. So he's never gonna have to run. He's a pocket. If you could protect him, he could play in the pocket. There is just a question with Caleb like can he play within the pocket? That was a question coming out, like it's not something he's comfortable doing. You don't just get to freelance all the time in the NFL, so it's like one, two three, get rid of the ball now. Our receivers not getting open all the time. Obviously some plays, But I do think there's a legit question of like what offense to make this guy successful? Like I watched Drake may It's like, I think that guy could fit in a lot of offenses. Yeah, you know, I thought Jayden was like I think he's gonna have to play in like mor of a Lamar style. I'm watching like, well, what Lamar is now? What Lamar was when he was really young? Yeah, the version now? And you watch Jayden right now, it's like this guy's awesome in the pocket. So I just think the question marks on Caleb that you look at this job like this sab like Mike Vrabel, like, I'm not looking for Caleb to throw forty touchdowns anymore. Maybe that's not his game. Let's just kind of go what Pete Carroll did in thirteen and fourteen, like, Hey, we're gonna run the ball, We're gonna have a tough defense. You're gonna play within my system. That's what We're taking the cooking utensils away from your hands.
Speaker 2: That's what Philadelphia has done with Jalen Hurts. Jalen Hurts today is throwing twenty four times and it's very effective. He throws a good deep ball. They're not letting Jalen Hurts. And by the way, outside of a Mahomes or a Josh Allen, I don't want my guys throwing forty two times. I don't want my offensive lineman backing up forty two I want him going forward forty two times. It's interesting because.
Speaker 1: Jalen's a little less hrky jerky, though Caleb, I think it's a little shorter. I think Jalen's a better runner, but little a little more quick twitch, and to me, his herky jerkiness throws everything off. And part of it's young. He's kind of seeing ghosts, but it's just I don't know if we've seen something this like this goes back to like Sam Darnold jets like this is a train Wrecklin offensively well.
Speaker 2: When he was coming out. I talked to every scout I could, and they all had the same concern. There were two concerns. Number one was accuracy. People said, I think we could clean it up, but he gets really erratic every game with USC. They're like, he gets real streaky and then he just has, you know, a Notre Dame game where it's just nothing works, you know, like for an entire half. The second thing they said is, you know, guys said, didn't love the fingernails, didn't love jumping into the crowd with mom. Really emotional. Doesn't mean he's a bad kid, but he's really emotional and really emotional players tend to be high and low, especially when they're young. So you're gonna have to deal with a very emotional kid with some accuracy issues. And it kind of goes back to my say it out loud, those aren't great highly emotional player accuracy issues. You know, bo Nix is very stoic. Accuracy is not an issue. It just sounds better.
Speaker 1: So it's Russell's defining characteristic. How just kind of just you know, fake optimistic. It feels like he's but it works.
Speaker 2: It works for him, and I think so. I think with Caleb he can be a bit moody. I remember the game at USC It was the I think it was year one with they went to Corvallis. He had a terrible first half. He got really moody on the sidelines. I think they came back to win that game, but it was the first time I thought, yeah, dude, you're on TV. This is a big TV game, Come on, get it together. And I think that was really I.
Speaker 1: Feel like he goes in the shell more now. He just like sits by himself on the bench, like that's guys, we got to work together and figure some stuff out. You can't isolate in this position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that was a J. Cutler issue. By the way, in Chicago, Culor was a guy that would just go by himself, hanging the corner isolation and it's not what you want. Now for a segment called making It Look Easy, brought to you by Morgan and Morgan, America's largest injury law firm. Today, Brock perty did it against the Bucks three hundred and fifty yards, a couple of touchdown passes, great final drivey at George Kittle in the back of the end zone gave the Niners the lead. Also led San Francisco down the field forty one seconds to set up the game winning field goal. Just like Brock made it look easy, Morgan and Morgan does the same to submit acclaim one hundred offices nationwide. Over that more than eight hundred lawyers nationwide, they have been able to get their clients fifteen billion dollars. How about that a proven track record of fighting to get you full and fair compensation. Morgan and Morgan been fighting for the people for over thirty five years. So if you're ever injured, go to Fourthpeople dot com, slash Colin or dial pound five to two nine to check out America's largest injury law firm. Winning in the NFL is hard. Hiring Morgan Morgan is easy, okay. Philadelphia thirty four, Dallas six. Terribly ineffective first half, four total turnover in the first half. I think we were just waiting for Philadelphia to take over in the third and they did. In the third quarter, the Eagles had one hundred and sixteen yards. The Cowboys had three, and again they didn't ask Jalen Hurst to do much. I'm looking at it right here. Fourteen for twenty two hundred two yards. A couple of touchdowns Trey Lance came in third quarter. This was a really predictable blowout. I watched Caroline and the Giants to start the day. I believe what I'm going to say is true that Dallas is the worst team in the NFL right now. I really believe that. I think they're the worst team in the NFL because at least the Giants have Daniel Jones and Brian Dable. They could engineer a good drive. I think the Cowboys have two excellent players, Micah Parsons and Ceedee Lamb. And I think Zach Martin was great. Now he's you know, he's a good player. I'll go back to something I said before the season. If I can identify this, how could the Cowboys not. It is the worst running back room in the league. It is maybe the thinnest wide receiver room in the league. The offensive line is in a rebuild, dak is hurt again, and their defensive players a couple of my like tend to be. It feels to me a little overhyped and a tad injury prone. I could spend a lot of time on Dallas. But on the other side, I looked at Philadelphia and I thought, I'm not a Sirianni fan, but they are playing formula football with that offense, and that formula with those players feels like it's working to me.
Speaker 1: That's why I picked him at the beginning of the year to win the division, just because the talent on the roster is just immense and the quarterback does not need to be what Joe Burrow's doing right now. They adding Saquon Barkley, who I would say is I mean him and Derrick Henry have been two of the great chief acquisitions in like the history of the NFL. But one thing that they look a lot better on, and this is why you pay a guy five million dollars. There was a scheme. I don't want to say disagreement, but it was just different from the players. They had to what VIC usually likes. So there is gonna be some time that it takes to get things figured out. Well, what's happening over the last month. Jalen Carter, the premium player in which they draft, has played a lot better. I'm watching today, na Kobe Dean making plays all over the place. Nolan Smith has come on. They have just some of these young players have just slowly made more plays the season goes on. Why Vick fanjo knows what he's doing now. He's an intense a lot different than what they had last year with the Patricia Deci situation. But they and listen, obviously they're playing the Cowboys today. But I would just say over the last month they have looked like a much more capable defense. Yeah, early on in the season, it was like, this is not possible. That's my question mark with Baltimore. You can't play that bad a defense and wins Bowl. It's not possible. I can't do it, especially in the conference in there in playing Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes and probably justin Herbert as well. But you watch the Eagles. If their defense is just solid when healthy AJ Brown, Devonte Smith, Dallas Goddard, Saquon Barkley, with Jalen passing and running ability, it just doesn't get any better in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Does Philadelphia? I watched them today as I was kind of disappointed in San Francisco. I think Philadelphia has the best roster in the league.
Speaker 1: I think offensively, definitely. I think offensively definitely. I think defensively they have players so young.
Speaker 2: Some of their best players are young.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think offensively, when Jalen's playing like he has the last month, there's no you can't even compare. And when the left tackle is healthy, their offensive line is excellent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They have a top I don't know, two or three running back. Yeah, they have a quarterback who's played like a top six to seven guy all season long. They have a high end tight end. They have elite two wide receivers, So listen. I know Kellen Moore takes a lot of shit. I followed his career since he was a player. I think he's a pretty bright guy. Yeah, you know, I mean he was pretty good for the Cowboys. Nipick them all we want. I do think when you watch Dallas, you know NBA coaches talk about this a lot, like when you play a team and their star player goes down, like the day before you play him, your team just like, oh, Giannis is out, you don't take him serious. All of a sudden you lose. Like I thought that first half was the Eagles, Like how could they take the Cowboys too seriously? Once Dak rips his hamstring off the bone and they felt like they were sleepwalking through the game for about the first twenty five minutes and then they realize, okay, this is JV versus farsity. They flipped a switch and basically fifteen minutes they scored would felt like thirty points and it was over in a heartbeat. I also think Dallas, we talked about this last week was Zeke. They had to leave him at home because he was being late, and you know, for an older player who's supposed to be like a high level leader, and then today he's playing and he fumbles on the zone, like in what world? And this is you know, obviously Jerry doesn't want to cut him. You can't tell me, Mike McCarthy if he's willing to leave a veteran player who's clearly not on board, then would play him the next week. Why did you just cut a player like that? Like what's the point? And then look today he fumbles, it leads to a score. I just think the Cowboys are all out of whack from the hierarchy. And we talk about this all the time, the parallels with the you know that late Postgruden al Davis, where you have this owner who's also in charge of the personnel, who's just in charge of the money. And it just like the Eagles. You know, if a guy's on the field, you know who's in chart Howie the GM who works hand in hand with the coach. Right with the Niners, it's Kyle and John was like, yeah, why Zeke playing out? Jerry likes him? You know, I'm good right, Like what are we doing? Jerry's eighty two years old. Just this season clearly was gonna get away from him. But it's and now they're better off column because they're gonna have a new coach. You know, the Chargers won five games last year, which led to McConkey an alt So aren't you better off here? The Cowboys just losing all these games he's wrong to end up with the fourth pick, and then you could just revamp your roster.
Speaker 2: I think, listen, there's two games left, they have a chance to be favored. Carolina look pretty good today. That rookie receiver Cuba Hubbard.
Speaker 1: I think I take Carolina in that game if they played next week.
Speaker 2: Yep. I think Bryce Young. You know, at the end of last year, Bryce was okay in the last like four games. Bryce looked comfortable today. You know, I think we both like that coach Canalis. They brought in, like a smart guy. I think Carolina can move the ball. I think that wide receiver they picked early as a hit and he's a really.
Speaker 1: Really South Carolina guy. Yeah, Debo, yep, you can play.
Speaker 2: And now New York they probably win, But that schedule is it's El's and my take is where you want to get. So you're Giants will probably have the number one pick. New England's playing New England a real off, two more, three more wins. They're not going to be number one, and they don't need a quarterback. And I think Gered Mayo, now forget Brissette, Drake's their guy. Drake may They're gonna they're gonna this, This locker room is young. They're gonna fight their ass off to win games. Giants.
Speaker 1: I would I would buy some stock. Now we'll see if the coaching. Drake May is a pretty interesting player called Ye, he's he's hard to watch and go, there's something there well, a lot of coaches would want to work with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his comp was justin Herbert. He was an unpolished justin Herbert. You can completely see it. You can absolutely see the movement, the size, the arm. He's just his feet aren't quite as good. I mean, Herbert looks like the league logo. He's got that perfect wide stance.
Speaker 1: Is how good does he look right now? Oh my god?
Speaker 2: God. But my takeaway here with Dallas is if Carolina plays well and they'll have something to play for here. I think they want to keep Bryce young and keep him healthy. I think the Cowboys could have the second to third pick in this draft. Again, if Chicago was worse, they got a quarterback, If New England was have a quarterback, you start getting into that three or four spot. Right now. They're a three win team. Let's say they finished with four. John somebody's going to move up for cam Ward. Somebody's moving up for him, and I think Dallas could get a couple seconds, a couple thirds, that's how you read.
Speaker 1: That's what Duah Houston, you know what I think makes it really hard for Dallas. Obviously, Mike McCarthy was in the last year of his deal, had to have success to keep his job. He's gonna get fired. But if you look at the resumes when they fired Jason Garrett and hired Mike mc Mike McCarthy was just a way better coach than Jason Garrett. Like, what are the chances that they are going to upgrade firing Mike McCarthy like his Belichick lined up to work with his eighty two year old GM owner. Probably not, even though their relationship and their roster has a lot of questions, Like, honestly, the only thing they're gonna have going for him because they always they never have cap space, is going to be their high draft picks in every round. But in terms of coaches lined up, like is this something Belichick and vrabel are interested in doing? Now? You have to look around, like Jacksonville's kind of a weird place. The Bears aren't as desirable if you question Caleb's ability, So I listen. You could just it's the NFL as the Cowboys. But I wonder if a lot of people are gonna be a little reluctant, and it's like, is Jerry just gonna give rabel or Belichick fifteen eighteen million dollars? Like give Spannos credit. He finally said, okay, Jim Harball, okay, and it worked.
Speaker 2: Let's look at the jobs that could be open. Okay, Jets is not a premier job. Impulsive owner, forty year old, prickly quarterback. I don't think Dallas is an elite job. You're tied to Dak Prescott. It's a very weak roster in a quickly improving NFC. Let's think of the other jobs. A Chicago, Jacksonville, Jacksonville, Chicago. You know Trevor Lawrence. It just I how many times does he want to go and rehab? I'm not, I'm not. I mean today it was Vikings twelve, Jag seven, Sam Darnold. They were zero for five in the red zone. That game could have been thirty to seven. Matt Jones can't play two picks one hundred yards. He can't play. So I mean that Jacksonville has quit. There's just nothing there. Their defense is pretty interesting, but they got nothing offensively. Jj MC.
Speaker 1: I think Trevor. I think Trevor Lawrence getting injured, and you know, I think I saw Jay Gruden said and he had worked there. He's like, I'd heard the guy needs surgery that could easily come out in the next couple days. That he goes under the knife, I think they would have been better off. It's like, you know what, Trevor Lawrence is just shitty and some coach. These coaches are arrogant, like I can fix this now. It's like, well, he's crappy and he's missing a ton of time with major injuries, and they just paid him Dak Prescott money. I'm out, Yeah, I can't because you can't get rid of the guy.
Speaker 2: What is the best job?
Speaker 1: None of them. They're all terrible. It's why these jobs are open. It's why the best teams never have job open. I would say Seattle was a pretty unique job opening, pretty level headed organization with talent, a good GM. Mike mcgaught like, that's a pretty rare job. But when you just look at jobs consistently, it's like the Packers five years ago, not the best job.
Speaker 2: The Packers five years ago. Matt Laflorida was the best job justin Herbert Chargers. Some can push back on the Spanos family, that was the second best job. See about every four years you get one great job opening. That's about it.
Speaker 1: And I think it turned out. And there's it's it's always easy to play Monday morning quarterback when we have information like you would have to invest, you know, all your money in Amazon fifteen years ago if we would have known, but people don't know. But I would say Washington. Ben Johnson has to lose some sleep occasionally knowing that he turned down a quarterback that like everyone with a straight face can go, this guy could be one of the best two or three quarterbacks in the league during his you know, the next ten years. Right, he has that ability. You don't turn down a job like that. And it's like Dan Snyder's no longer there, so you get an owner. Those basketball team's weird, but that's because of morgs into that stuff. It's like he's just a high level owner, pays money, will pay for people like clearly like that's a really really good job and that was only because the guy sold his team and gave the you know Adam Peters and Dan Quinn, like I think dan Quinn got pretty lucky looking back that Ben Johnson hung up on those guys when they were flying to him, because that's a game changer.
Speaker 2: But you know what, and this goes back to god every industry in the world. But when Washington got rid of everybody, I predicted Washington would make the playoffs because I like Adam Peter's history, I like dan Quinn, I like Cliff Kingsbury, I like Jayden Daniels. My take is, if everybody's new, it's okay. If everybody they replaced was awful, and they were, and you know, for Washington to turn it around quickly, and for Houston last year to turn it around quickly, I think it highlights john something about the NFL that I think fans don't think about like we do because we do this for a living. But we look at the NFL we think, okay, there's like five great quarterbacks and five pretty good ones. That's the same with owners, gms, and coaches, everything in the league across the board. Washington right now has a top three offensive coordinator. They may have one of the top gms, they have one of the better owners Dan Quinn's. I mean, look at Dallas's defensive numbers. Without it, Dan's one of the five best defensive coaches. Jayden Daniels. We could be looking at the best rookie quarterback in a decade. The reason Washington feels even different than Houston is because I think the owner in Washington's better than the owner of the McNair's in Houston. Is if you're if you know what you're doing in the NFL and you can align, you know, I've always had this rule. If you're an a even a minus at four things, owner GM, coach, quarterback, your super Bowl. Baltimore will be in the Super Bowl conversation every year. Harbaugh, Lamar, Steve Bushetti and their front office. It's just they're all really good, Kansas City great. The truth is Washington right now, they just hit. They hit on everything. Coach coordinator GM. It's it's not a fluke, they're not ready yet, but it's it. And it also highlights, God John, half of this league doesn't know what they're doing.
Speaker 1: I would, I would. I think you're low. I think it's closer to twenty. And it really crystallized when I went to the Combine and I'm lucky enough to you know know, Andy and Howie, and you just see these organizations like it's football. Shit's gonna go wrong. You never know, adversity's gonna hit, whether a guy gets in trouble, whether coach underachieves. But like the Ravens, the Steelers, the Eagles, Andy and the Chiefs, like the same teams, Kyle's this is the worst season of all time for Kyle Shanahan. He's gonna end up at minimum ten and seven. You know. Well, so it's like McVeigh. Shit hits the fans like, oh, he's gonna be in the playoffs again.
Speaker 2: Look at this hardball comes in to a tire fire. Their defense is mostly the same. Their offense arguably is worse because Michael Williams and Keenan are gone. He's relying on a right tackle and a slot receiver that are rookies. The defense has gone from the worst in the league to top five. On coaching mintor Jesse Minter and Harpball like that tells you there are there are any one time, there are five coaches in this league who are coordinators. They have no I mean Jets have one right now, Chargers had one last year, they're just not head coaches.
Speaker 1: Well, it's November tenth, Colin, and they have the Chargers have more wins than they did in to twenty three. It's November tenth. I mean, we're still several weeks away from Thanksgiving and they they're gonna more than double their win total from last year. I also think, like look at Rogers and Davante, who were in first class relative to the NFL. It's like they were in first class and they were complaining the blanket wasn't quite soft enough. And then they went to the Raiders, they went to the Jets, and then DeVante for some reason, demands he goes to the Jets, like, do you guys know how good you had it? Do you guys know how good you had it in Green Bay? No matter who you are, And I've said this forever, like about what I do for a living, because people always ask, like you have the dream, eventually a job becomes work, right, Like, no matter what you do, whether you're a football player, whether you talk about football, whether you're an architect, But like when you like it, you do have to, like sometimes be able to take a step back and realize, Like some spots and some relationships, some partnerships like I don't want to screw this up. I have it pretty well, and even Belichick and Brady for a long time, but it heads. But I think for the most it took till Tom was they do to draw a line in the sand, which again, twenty plus years, those guys both started making a stink through like what what are we talking about? Guys, if they would have stayed, it wouldn't have been as good, but it would not. Their careers wouldn't have gone what they've experienced. And now Rogers' careers is gonna end with him playing for the Jets, like that's forever. The Packers make fun of the Bears, and they currently do. Why because we're well run. They're not. They have more money, they're in a way bigger market. Yet we're one of the premier organizations for thirty years when it comes to television ratings and making all this league a bunch of money. It's us, not them, because well we are have cohesion with our GM and our head coach and you know Baltimore, the Chiefs, all the I think you know, listen, we can nitpick Sean McDermott some of his late game decisions over the But it's he's pretty well established. He's a good coach, yeah right, and him and the GM working cohesion with their quarterback. They are a high level operation in Buffalo now, been for four or five years. And think that they're running circles around their division.
Speaker 2: Look at look at look at Sean Payton. They're in cap hell this year and next year. They don't have their full ammo of picks because of Russell. I mean, Sewan is coaching with a rookie quarterback. They have one elite receiver.
Speaker 1: When's the last time they had a first round pick? Beside Bonnick spent several years right because I traded them away.
Speaker 2: That is a story of coaching. I mean, Denver now is a viable team. It is just coaching and Harbaugh. It's they have better players and they have more well rounded roster than the Denver Broncos do. But for Harbaugh to walk in and Peyton to walk in. If you look at what Sean Payton is dealing with now, I mean, go look up what they're still paying Russell this year and next They don't have a full uh Arsenal of picks. It's a rookie quarterback. There is a freaking gap the Grand Canyon wide in coaching Cord and it just happens. So happens. The Jets have a D owner, probably a D head coach right now, a C play caller, and a quarterback. Frankly, who's a seed that nobody wants to acknowledge?
Speaker 1: Well, if you put Jim Harbond the Bears right now with Caleb Williams, assuming that's who he would have wanted, because I don't think there's any guarantee that's who he would have want. Maybe he would have liked Drake May. I wouldn't put it past them. You know who knows. But let's just say he got Caleb Williams in this roster. There's no doubt in my mind. There's a wildcard team, no doubt in my mind, right and they had the opportunity he played for him. But of course like, oh the Bears too cheap, they won't do that. And I was always really critical of the spanos is because it's like, guys, the paying a coach four or five million dollars in this modern day when you clearly have the money. This isn't twenty five years ago when some teams had a lot more. Every team's getting three four hundred million dollars. You have when you get the opportunity and this guy's you have to cut the check, and they finally did and they're paying Mentor is probably one of the highest paid defensive coordinators. Obviously, Jim makes fifteen plus million. That cool success like one of the reasons for twenty years basically since Marty. It's like, ah, they always left a little something to It was never their roster. I mean the Chargers went from Drew Brees to Philip Rivers to uh to Justin Herbert. That's not exactly far to Roger to Love, but it's not far off. And it's like, ah, they just no success really beside a couple of playoff wins. And now it feels like this team's gonna be a super Bowl contender for the next four or five years. Right, as long as they can keep that quarterback healthy, they'll improve their roster. Maybe they get a playoff victory this year, like some big upset in the first round. Watch out for the Chargers because they're coming in some of these teams, Like do you have any faith that the Bears will get the coaching higher, right, don't. No, they never.
Speaker 2: I mean, let's circle back to that. What is the best job available in the NFL right now? In fact, I'll grab my phone, I'll do this to the audience. I'm gonna I want to look at the standings right now. So I'm gonna say.
Speaker 1: Well, do you think the Giants the Giants coming open are probably not?
Speaker 2: No, because it's one quarter.
Speaker 1: I think that would be a good job.
Speaker 2: But I'm thinking right now, so jetsill have an open not a good gig.
Speaker 1: Saints have an opening, Raiders, won't. I hear a lot of people I don't. I'm with you. I don't think they will. But I think a lot of people in the NFL think Antonio Pierce has a good chance to be They just fired four coaches the other day, clean house, so.
Speaker 2: I would argue the best job. God, you can't be the Jaguars. There is no good job opening in the AFC, so let's go to the NFC. I think the Giants will keep dable. So Dallas just because you have a capable quarterback and a couple of stars isn't bad. Okay, Bears, I don't like that as a job. Saints, I'm not interested. Yeah, I'll make the I'll make the argument, hell, Tampa would be the best job if available, because I get Baker. The Glazer family is pretty classy. I know them. Jason Light's an excellent general manager, one of the best.
Speaker 1: Spelichick a sleeper there.
Speaker 2: I I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 1: Him and Jason work together.
Speaker 2: And I don't think Todd Bowles is the issue. I think injuries are the issue.
Speaker 1: Same.
Speaker 2: I to me, Tampa is the best job over but if it comes open, I think Todd will probably retain it. Glasers don't want to fire people.
Speaker 1: They're good people, and I don't I think Todd's done enough. Like you watch him. They are a well coached team and they play hard. Now, I do wonder if some of these owners like, hey, we get Bill Belichick, like they're the type ownership once upon a time they traded for who John Gruden? Right, they hired Bruce Ari and signed Tom Brady like they're a sneaky like a little splash. I listen most of these. I would say the one gig that if you do believe in Caleb that he can just be the Pete Carroll early version of Russell. They have a defense, they have pieces on offense, and because their record's going to be crappy, they're going to have high draft picks, and like, I think that's a pretty intriguing job. The thing is they left they don't want to pay anybody. I mean, these coaches Kirby Smart and Lane Kiffin are playing each other. They may combine like twenty five million. It's the SEC you're the Chicago Bears, So why wouldn't you call Belichick? Hey, we'll give you three years, sixty million dollars. These are line items to people, I mean, honestly, to what these teams are making now that means nothing. Mark Davis, who historically the Raiders were the poorest NFL team, right, they just didn't have the cash flow. They have no problem paying guys to go away. Now why he has unlimited money, which is scary for some of these owners who know what they're doing because they can just fire people non stop. But the cash, whatever you want to offer Bill Belichick for all these teams you can offer. You can just give him two years fifty million dollars. Just heay, just come in and get us going in the right direction. But he's like, oh, could we find this coordinator maybe for six million dollars, Like what do you don't complain when you lose? Don't complain when you lose. So I feel bad for Bears fans because I would have. This season has been a train wreck. It really has given the expectations and now feels talk about a team that we talk about the Cowboys not winning any more games. Look at the Bear schedule. I mean they might only have one win, especially if their players are quitting.
Speaker 2: Thursday Night Football is on. It's only on Prime Video, best season yet, packed with big rivalries and even bigger stars al Michaels, Kirk, Kirkstreet, Kaylee Hartung. Every week games you can't miss Coverage begins at seven Eastern with Football's Best Party TNF Tonight Thursday Night Football Tonight. If you're not a Prime member, no problem, sign up thirty day free trial, cancel any time Thursday Night Football and it's on Prime Video. Restrictions apply. See Amazon dot Com slash Amazon Prime for details. I want to end it with the college football topic. So during the season, nobody's gonna cry for me. But during the season, you and I don't get days off necessarily. I don't I have a Monday through Friday show, you just work on Sunday, we work, So I gave myself Saturday off. I looked on the schedule. I wanted to watch LSU Bama. I watched the first half and it was over. I got a feeling pretty quickly that Brian Kelly's team just wasn't up for it. That's that's not how you should play at home in your third year against Alabama, your primary rival. But I was thinking about this, is that the concern for college football creating even a twelve team playoff, that it would newter the regular season. And it's interesting. If I said to you, what has been the best college football game this season, I think most of us would go Ohio State Oregon was like unbelievable. But I can count on one hand the games I've said, like, I thought Texas Georgia would be great, it wasn't. I thought LSU Bama could be great, it wasn't. I thought Penn State Ohio State was fine, but I didn't think either team played particularly well. You know, they had opportunities. And I will say this, I love college for USC.
Speaker 1: Michigan was really fun at the time, it didn't age well, but that game at the time felt huge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I agree, and they'll be close games. But I will say whereas the NFL has fourteen games a weekend and usually about six to seven are pretty damn good. I mean we got some. I mean Kansas City, Denver, Washington, Pittsburgh, you know those were really good games. Hell, even Buffalo and the Colts for a while was good. San Francisco, Tampa was exceptional. And I think Rams Miami tomorrow will be good. So you'll get six or seven NFL games every weekend out of fourteen. I do think it has changed. My mindset is that the games don't feel as definitive or punitive, and so right now my take is everybody's going to have a loss. I'm not going a mile deep on a strong opinion on a loss. I think Texas is good. They had a really bad Saturday, got into their fields. Georgia was pissed off. Georgia lost Ole Miss. They're a limited team offensively. But I will say that the college football Playoff, it's done this to college basketball, where the college basketball now is a bracket. It's got three great weeks and a lot of stuff that nobody watches. I see the numbers, I do think the playoff was necessary for the growth of the sport. But I feel like Saturday, I said, Hey, I'm gonna take the afternoon off, spend it with my wife and just take a deep breath, exercise, just get out in Chicago. Let's go have a wild, fun day. And I do feel I didn't feel I missed anything.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I love college football. You do too, do you? But I'm feeling a little different that the regular SIS season doesn't feel as urgent to me. But I think I'll get the payoff for the last month.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not, when it comes to sports topics, a moral high horse guy. You know, I'm not someone that like pounds my chest about certain things that bother people. You know, in terms of this use College's example, the nil the transfer portal. For the most part, I'm like, whatever things change, you deal with it. Miller Moss was benched this week and immediately he just quits, I'm going in the transfer portal like that that happened. And even Lincoln's like, eeah, he's just a new opportunity. This guy has been with these players now for years with the team. I do think something's really out of whack that that was like a symbolic moment that this guy finally gets benched. He struggled, and it's like I just quit. I'm just leaving the team. Like and then you watch some of these games, like George is not nearly as good as they once were because people just the moment it chick gets toughs like I just quit. I think Brady talked about it in the offseason, was like when I went to Michigan, like for five years, it wasn't easy. Shit gets hard, but he represented every kid for the history of college football, like I want to kill my coach, I want to strangle my offensive coordinator. I just want to quit football, and you just couldn't. And I do think he watched the just what's going on in college football? I don't know how to fix it, but like that that just something's off, Like people get benched. It's football. You know, you were playing, like shit, we're four and five, we can't win a game. It's like I just quit. So it's like there's no one means anything. Clearly, you're getting some money, Like it's just out of whack. It really is. And that's why I think it represents all these guys moving NonStop, which has its positives but also has like that for me was a story like I don't know if something just feels icky, like there has to be And I think whenever these college coaches say something, most of the media.
Speaker 5: Is like, you just money hungry. You guys always had the advance guys, Yes, we get it, They've always made money. They also generate all the money for the athletic department. Look at how much coaches make in the NFL. Their valuable commodity players are two.
Speaker 1: But if Deebo Samuel's mad today, he can't just go tomorrow like I quit, I'm leaving. It's like no debo, you're under contract. Well, these guys are getting paid. It just it's just way out of whack. Yeah, And for the first time, it was just a moment. I don't care about Miller Moss. I'm not even like this USC team turns me off, But that moment, I do think He's not alone. I'm just I'm not trying to pick on him. He represents a lot of guys. Happens all over, happens with guys we probably don't know because he might be a guard or a safety. Happens at every program you get benched to middle the seasons like I quit, I'm just out. And then I saw the South Carolina has a defensive end right now, who's got a chance to be like Miles Garrett. He's an elite freshman. And I saw, you know this week maybe on like Thursday or Friday, that like his value in nil because of how good he is is going to go to like two to five million dollars this next season. Well how does he know that? Because if you think about it, like Oregon, just look at the teams all the nil they're already contacting him, which I don't blame, like there are no rules. It's a lawless land right now. But something's off. And I do think that some of these coaches, like listen, we got no problem people getting paid, but there has to be I can't just tomorrow be like calling I'm out, Like I don't know. We have contracts. Isn't that the way the business works? And I feel like the media roots for all these guys get money rightfully, so but like that that's not how any business works ever, Like there are contracts people at the fall rule there just are no rules. Yeah, even the coaches like why Billy Napier not get fired well, because he's good. They have to pay him twenty five million dollars. They can, he's under contract. It's just it is what it is, where players just like the moment shit, and I get it. Like if you're at and listen, I came from Fresno State, we would have lost all of our good players back in twenty ten. Boysey. I don't they got very lucky to keep genty He was offered a million dollars and turned it down, but he was an outliner. I just think the situation of like I do think it turns. It's just it's just out of whack. That's all I can say. I still enjoy the games, like I love Colorado is like one of the best stories, what Dion's done, Warren sapp that defensive line. I watched three games yesterday Colorado Ole miss in Georgia, and I had a lot of money on LSU and I turned it off basically in the third quarter. But those games, like, I still enjoy the pageantry between it all. But sometimes you're just like, I what going on here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I feel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, like what's Lincoln supposed to do? Not bench Miller Moss like people get benched. It's that happens sports.
Speaker 2: I mean, Lincoln and Les Miles are really good coaches and both are really struggling. And I think, I think it is really hard to build a culture when you have to walk on eggshells around players. I mean, Sean Payton can dog cuss a guy? Where are you going to go now the NFL? You know, in the NBA you have to walk on eggshells around pro basketball players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they'll get you fired immediately they don't like you.
Speaker 2: But in the NFL you don't. In college football, college football is becoming the NBA where coaches are terrified to alienate players, And so I think for guys like you know it, it's Harbaugh was really lucky. By the time he built them into a power, the world changed. And then he had a couple of years within IL, but he had established a junior senior dominant roster, and then he left and listened Jay Wright and Roy Williams and Mike Kay get me out of here. So Bill self is having to deal with some of this. So I think college sports the NIL.
Speaker 1: It is the dude have Virginia, who's like one of the highest level guys ever, just quit this insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's I think it's much easier to build a culture in the NFL and churned things around immediately, Harbaugh Demiko Ryans because the cow the coach has the leverage. College sports, now the star player has the leverage. And it's just simply it's it's harder to build a culture when you're walking on eggshells. And I've known programs I've talked to coaches about this that they can't announce. They have to wait until a certain date in August to announce a starting left tackle or a starting running back because they're afraid the player will transfer. So what happens is now college coaches are much less honest with the players. They won't give them bad news early the depth chart, they don't want it published. They so you're getting a really inauthentic, dishonest relationship between college coach and college player because college player will bold and not even the great ones, the good ones will bold. Well.
Speaker 1: I think Locksley told a story at Maryland that his third string running back came in after the spring game and said he wanted two hundred thousand dollars. He said, godspeed, go get it. What are we talking about? And I think going back to the coaching thing, I think you've been talking to NFL players for decades. They will all say my relationship like they love their position coach or their coordinator, especially the good ones. But you get to develop a real relationship so he can tell me good and bad whatever. Well, how do I develop a real relationship if I'm terrified if I say the wrong thing, especially you're you're there's a difference of dealing with a twenty eight year old and an eighteen or nineteen year old. Let's face it, we're just as men. We're not as mature at that age, much more emotional, and even something that is correct, I'm not gonna listen to. So it's a much more difficult situation. And before all those guys, most of the older players in the NFL, they all attribute like the best thing going through some adversity, not getting a starting spot as a five star. I had to earn my way. It made me a better player. Now saying I'm out see you, and that just can't be healthy for the development. I think it's something to keep an eye on for the draft. Is like these teams think the draft now are not as deep because you got guys bouncing all around. The development is not as streamlined. Ye know, it's just out of whack. And I'm not some anti paying the guys or anything, but we have to. And I love football. I mean I could watch football all day long as I do, lucky enough to get paid to do it. But when I saw that Miller Moss thing, I'm like, I don't know, something is just this is not Caleb his coach followed them. I think you see a lot of times like Bo Nicks was told we're going with or no, Dylan Gabriel like, hey, we're going with Jack normal. Some things is like totally understandable. And then there's like Miller Moss acting like you think you're Matt Lioner or something. Your team's four and five and you have been shitty in some of these big moments, and you have an offense and you're just where are you gonna go? Like San Diego State, Who's who's lining up for you? Yeah? But I just thought the headline, Yeah, I don't know. Something just feels a little weird.
Speaker 2: John Middlecoff his podcast is three and out, former scout with the Philadelphia Eagles another robust, dynamic Sunday and uh we'll talk soon.
Speaker 1: Body see you Colin the volume.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for listening. If you've enjoyed the podcast, take a moment rate and review