Speaker 1: And now watching my mic back like.
Speaker 2: That strikes from head borders behind him and.
Speaker 1: Those of you just tuned into Sipsach Crime host Ramsey's jaw.
Speaker 3: He is Ramses, Joe and I am still mentally exhausted, sorry, emotionally text and you know q Ward for those who care, whose voice this is man to segue from our lives into our topics for our show is a really heavy lift, man, sure right, even starting on a lighter note, you know, Ramses and I have conversations about our show and about what we need to do before we started, and just transitioning from saying hello to you guys to what we have to talk to you about.
Speaker 1: It's a lot, man, It's a lot, and we are definitely going to keep talking about it, so stay tuned. We got more to come from our digest version of the Nashville shooting and so much more. But first and foremost, let's talk about becoming a better ally BABA. So today's BABA is sponsored by Major Threads for the finest in men's athletic war check majorthreads dot com and I'm going to do a little bit of reading from truthout dot org. Today We're going to give a shout out to somebody who's playing for the home team here. Arizona Governor Katie Hobbs recently vetoed a Republican backed education bill that would ban public K through twelve schools from teaching critical race theory to students. Republicans have tried three times so far. In other words, she is not allowing the schools in Arizona to have books taken off of their shelves just because the authors are black, or just because it highlights the accomplishments, the achievements or the history of black, brown, marginalized people's in this country. That is an ally and that is how you use your power to stand in allyship with people who might need your support. So definitely shouting her out for that. And for those that don't know, CRT is a legal academic discipline that began in the nineteen eighties and it's a advanced college level study. It's not elementary school stuff. That's called American history.
Speaker 3: But they're using that as code branding. Exactly, that's what courage people who are afraid of this thing they created. Yeah, and in fact, that was what it says.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty, the far right co opted the term CRT, weaponizing it as a boogeyman and the latest culture war pushed by Republicans, and currently more than eighteen states have enacted policies targeting CRT, according to Education Week. Most notoriously, in twenty twenty two, Florida Governor Ronda Satan's signed the Stop Woke Act, which prohibited educators from teaching lessons on race or LGBTQ issues. All right back to Nashville. So we have a few questions, as promised. Before we get to the questions, let me paint a picture. This paints a picture quite well. Someone asked early on when the details are still coming out, did the shooter act alone? Right? And I saw a response online that I want to share with you. I think you'll love it. The shooter did not act alone. The shooter was aided by the NRA and forty nine Republican senators. That is a fact. Now there are people who will say that the Republican senators have tried to do this or that or the other thing, and most notably Republicans wanted to put more police officers in schools. Right, put together a bill that puts more police officers in schools and more guns in the hands of citizens. There you go and teachers a few things, but you know that absolutely is one of them too. But the one that there was a lot of opposition to from the democratic side of things is that we've seen that police and schools often has a negative impact on black and brown students. They're often arrested and punished and criminalized, and it just fortifies the school to prison pipeline. Our good friend Janelle would has a lot to say about officers and schools and how it's actually damaging black and brown students and impoverished communities by having police officers and schools. In fact, the outcomes that folks were hoping to achieve, the opposite has been achieved. And so again, whereas schools normally would discipline children the way in the traditional sense, when they're police at schools, now disciplining children becomes a criminal act, and you see six year olds getting arrested and having to go to court and that sort of thing. So this is why there has been a pushback to that. Rather the liberals, the Democrats in this country have pushed for gun reform because there is a difference between a school shooting and a mass shooting somehow, and everyone likes to point everything at school shootings, completely ignoring that people shoot up parades, and people shoot up grocery stores, and people shoot up movie theaters and whatever else they can shoot up, and that we have a gun problem in this country. As I mentioned earlier in the show, this is the one hundred and thirtieth mass shooting of the year. I didn't say school shooting, mass shooting. And just because I graduated high school doesn't mean I want to get shot. We have a gun problem, and so oftentimes it is, you know, the right facet of this country that's very much opposed to adopting progressive gun laws. They're very much Second Amendment purists, but they leave off the part of the Second Amendment that says that we should have a well regulated militia. They don't like the well regulated part, but they do like the right to bear arms part. And so when I say, or rather when this person says that the shooter did not act alone, was aided by the NRA and forty nine Republican senators, that is the point that they were coming from. Rams how many arms guns like the right to.
Speaker 3: Bear How many I got to.
Speaker 1: How many arms?
Speaker 3: Do we have the right to bear because the gun you bought in nineteen seventy nine still works. Yeah, right, So digging to get to the actual problem here, then you'll have to dig too deep. Right, it's profit like almost every other problem in this country. Sure, they sell it as protection. They use fear to churn up you needing to protect yourself. More so, I know you got two guns already. I know you got one gun already that still works and will work forever. That's the really masterfully as a machine, as a mechanism, as long as it doesn't rust to decay, it'll work forever.
Speaker 1: So like the one you bought the last time you got scared, that's the one. Other's guns from the eighteen hundreds of shoot. They still shoot and will still kill.
Speaker 3: It's not like they you'll just be hobbling around like No, those guns kill as effectively as the ones you can buy new today. So it's not this need to protect your family, because a pistol will do that. And AR fifteen was not designed for in home invader family protection.
Speaker 1: It's a military. It's for war.
Speaker 3: It is a as Ramses calls it, killing machine designed for war. You don't need one at the crib. You definitely don't need three or four and you posing with your wife and your kids who also okay, neverma, I.
Speaker 1: Don' want to pick on nobody. Listen, we can move on. And then I think you you brought up the point that actually we'll get there. We'll get there. So first question, what was the shooter's motive? So I don't want to read the shooter's name, that's just I just don't feel good about that. But I'm sure you know the shooter's name by now. Because I want to be very respectful of the trans community. I don't want to miss gender this person because I want to be respectful of properly gendering people. And I believe that this person used he, HIMN pronouns, and so for the purposes of our conversation, we will describe this shooter as a heat or him. However, the news reports suggest that this was a genetic biological female that carried out the shooting. So this person was a twenty eight year old former student of the school. Nashville Police Chief John Drake said at a news conference this would have been Tuesday. The shooter had left behind a manifesto, Drake said, which included a map of the school with details about how he would enter and carry out an attack. So the motive of this shooter, I cannot begin to imagine what would get a person to go that far, but I suspect that it might be a response to hate. Again, I'm not justifying it. I'm just saying that there might be something there. If this person is a transgender individual been pushed to the edge because of recent events, you know, maybe there's something there. I don't know. Again, taking that out on children is perhaps the most heinous thing that a person can do in innocent people. And you know the janitor.
Speaker 4: The janitor was a black man, and that felt unfair too, But if we're looking for a motive, maybe that's what it is.
Speaker 1: So that's one of the questions that you know, we thought about. And this also a lot of this reading and research came from NPR dot org. I want to make sure I shot them out. Another question, could police have confiscated the shooter's guns? And I think that this is kind of where you were with what the statement you were making earlier, So I'll read this in actuality. The shooter had legally purchased seven firearms from five local gun stores. Three of those weapons, including two assault style firearms, were used in the shooting. The shooter was under a quote doctor's care for an emotional disorder, but law enforcement knew nothing about the treatment. And then it goes on to say, in some states, so called red flag laws and power law enforcement to confiscate weapons due to mental illness or concerns from relatives. So could police have confiscated the shooters' guns.
Speaker 3: If the Republicans in Tennessee hadn't voted against there you go laws that would have made at the case, yes, they could have.
Speaker 1: You know something I read that you can't go to like a CBS and purchase like some sort of medicine, and then go to another like a Walgreens and purchase more of the same medicine, and then go to another store and purchase same medicals, because it will throw up a red flag like this is what people who are wanting to unlive themselves might do. They might get a bunch of pills because they can't get them all in the same place. So there's systems in place that prevent you from going to multiple locations and stocking up on whatever this medicine. And I don't know the details on how to do this, but I was reading this, and I was reading this the person who's who had compiled this information was doing so in an attempt to suggest that it is possible to put together an alert system for people who are going from this store to the next door to the next door to buy guns, because it exists for this whatever this medicine was. And you know, I think that it's just a little sad that where we are with this is kind of where we started. That's the part that feels a little bit sad to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, more so, really more than a little sad, because I think we you know, we've talked about this before with some angst, right, like the idea that there should be something that breaks capitalism's hold on us, like perhaps our children being murdered at school, except na, like in the name of profit, there's like no basement, there's no floor, there's no bottom for us. Like, yes, we could do all these things to make this less likely to happen, but it it'd be harder for us to make more money.
Speaker 1: So no, And you know, I think the craziest part about this whole thing is that I think you said this, You made this point before that once Sandy Hook happened and we saw that children were on the menu and nobody.
Speaker 3: Was And I have to say this, white children once white children being murdered. I'm using that word very intentionally, very deliberately, because that's what it is, not just children being murdered, because the country has shown us for a long time that if those children look like Rambas and myself, no, they weren't really moved by it. Yeah, they actually used the way that our skin reacts to vitamin dan melanin as a reason why maybe we deserved to be shot down or killed it or look what they do to each other, So why should we care? But once the other side showed us that even their children being murdered wouldn't sounding alarm and cause any type of change or reform at that moment, to me, mentally, we're doomed. Well because if not that, then what.
Speaker 1: Man, it's it's a a We're in a bit of a situation here all right. Now, Again, I want to remind you it's a civic cipher and all these things are connected. Okay, We're going to do a little bit of a pivot here because the next question that I want to ask, is kind of important. Will the FBI or state agencies investigate this as a hate crime? Now, if you're like me, you're like hate crime, hate, you know what I mean? That's different. But let me read this to you. Please say that the suspect was previously a student of the Covenant School and targeted the building, which is also a church. On Tuesday, Senator Josh Hawley, Republican of Missouri, took that to mean the attack was targeted, that is, against Christians, and began calling for federal agencies to investigate the shooting as a hate crime. Holly Alsho also introduced a Senate resolution to formally condemn the shooting as a hate crime. Holly's choice in framing caught on quickly with other Republican leaders. Okay, so it's important to identify this tactic and to put an asterisk here because this conceivably would give license to lawmakers to go after trans people. In other words, the connection that they're making is that trans people hate Christians, when in fact, it seems to be that Christians hate trans You guys can't see me, but yes, reverse play, Oh no, the reverse card that. Yeah, so this is something that of course we can see because being black and studying black history in this country, this is a tactic. You know, you try to use whatever you can to make sure that you're the victim, make sure that they're the bullies, you know what I'm saying, and play with the optics. But you know, I can't say what I can't say. I haven't read the manifesto, I don't know what. I don't know, right, but that feels to me like a cheap shot for an already vulnerable community and to take one individual. And I know that they were saying that there were other trans people that have done attacks like this, but the vast majority of people that do these attacks are white, male in cells, Let's be honest, the huge majority. I think there was three people who were kind of in the non binary space who might have carried out an attacks, and of those three, I think maybe one of them only said that to get out of a hate crime charge. Right. So with that said, for a person to for whatever this got, John Hawley to take that and then try to use it to frame the conversation around trans people attacking Christians, it puts an already vulnerable population in a more vulnerable space and cast them in a more vulnerable light. And you know, we always said that this show, we would use this platform to try to support anyone who was marginalized, born to strike against him, had a tougher go with life. And I cannot sit here and pretend to know what it's like to be trans. I've met a handful of trans people in my life. I wish I knew more, just so that I could help more and articulate things a bit better. But as long as there's breath in my body to push back against what I see as clear attacks on vulnerable communities, and that feels like one of them right now, based on what I know.
Speaker 3: And you're being generous saying it feels like it, right because we can't use language that states things within one hundred percent knowledge that we don't have actual knowledge of it. But there's a reason that it feels that way, Yeah, because it most likely is.
Speaker 1: I mean, we have to use terms like a lleged and feels we have to talk around it. Yeah, but it really really sucks.
Speaker 3: It's such a cheap shot, it's such low hanging fruit, and they do that knowing how their colleagues will react constituentsy is so cowardly and unfair man.
Speaker 1: Right now, again, I want to make sure that we are condemning clearly any sort of actions like this individual that shot this school up takes, while still recognizing that there are people in this community who need protection and need a voice. And because again we have microphones and satellite dishes across the country and beating hearts in a degree of empathy, I think it's important for us to make sure that that stated. All right, My final question that I'll ask, will lawmakers pass gun control measures? So finally the question of the day, and of yesterday and the day before that. Unfortunately, it looks like it might be the question of tomorrow, will lawmakers pass gun control measures?
Speaker 3: It seems that even lawmakers themselves being targets, didn't bring does it, and didn't bring about change. There was a politician in Arizona years.
Speaker 5: Ago at a grocery store or something, Gabby Guildford, I want to say, and like even then it wasn't like, Okay, this has gone far enough, not just my children, but.
Speaker 3: Me and the NRA, the gun lobby, those that profit from the selling of weapons in this country. Are they're too powerful? It's this isn't even something for us to go back and forth about. And not only are they too powerful, but those that benefit from their money like it too much. Right, because this wouldn't even be hard. The legislation that would change things actually overnight wouldn't even be difficult. There are cases, studies and data from all over the world that show that more legislation that would require you to jump through more hoops essentially to get a weapon, would make it so that less people who shouldn't have them would And people always push back with the idea, well, if criminals want to get guns, they will, I'm sure, I'm sure, right, But that's the same thing with everything. People who have no issue with breaking the law to get things, that break the law to get things will continue to We know that we're talking about when they don't have to. Right, if you can get the money off my porch instead of breaking my window to get it, you'll just get it off the porch. Like, that's human nature too, and also the nature of the criminal.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: They will take the easier route when it's provided to them, and our country does a really good job of providing the way easier route.
Speaker 1: You can just go to the store and buy an assault rifle, or you can buy five of them in a row. Not trip off any alerts or anything like that. So again we wait and see, but shout out to the officers that got in there and got busy. Credit. Where's to All Right, Okay, it's time for the Way Black History Fact. Today's Way Black History Fact is sponsored by an underground beach club from the streets to the beach, the finest in beachware. Visit Underground Beach Club dot com. All right, as promised the former slave turned cop who made the only official arrest of a sitting US president in.
Speaker 6: History, I'll read William West made the difficult call to hold the head of the United States responsible for dangerous behavior and a residential neighborhood.
Speaker 1: These days, American presidents and allegations of breaking the law are in the headlines nearly every day. However, in the nearly two hundred and fifty year old United States, there has only been one known instance of a sitting president being arrested. This was made by a police officer named William H. West, a former slave, who took Ulysses S. Grant into custody in eighteen seventy two after catching the head of the nation, speeding down a Washington, d c. Street on multiple occasions. West was born in eighteen forty two in Maryland, where he and his family were held as slaves. In the Civil War eighteen sixty one eighteen sixty five came around, the young man enlisted in the company K thirtieth United States Colored Infantry, seeing action in the conflict that led to the abolition of slavery. During Reconstruction, which was eighteen sixty five to eighteen seventy seven, when former slave states were integrated in accordance with the federal expectations, West obtained a position as a policeman in Washington, d c. In eighteen seventy one. One of two black cops at the time, He gained a reputation for his gentlemanly behavior and affinity for good, fast horses. It was also during this time that he married, and his wife, Kate, went on to raise six children. The arrest that West became known for was one that he made of President Grant in eighteen seventy two. The policeman was following up on recent complaints of speeding horses by conducting a foot patrol around Thirteenth Street. Suddenly, he noticed a horse and buggy traveling up the street towards him and at what he considered a rate of speed that was unsafe for the residential neighborhood. Flagging the carriage down, he discovered that the driver was none other than the President, who he permitted to drive along after admonishing him to watch how fast he drove in the future. However, the next day, and in the same general location, West once again saw a number of carriages tearing down the street faster than they should be. He was able to flag down seven of them. Upon examining the drivers, he saw that one of them was again Grant, who was less than twenty four hours from having received a warning because of the repeated transgression. West treated the situation just like he would if it were any other citizen, who placed the perpetrators under arrest, reportedly specifically telling Grant quote, I am very sorry, mister President, to have to do it for You are the chief of the nation and I am nothing but a policeman. But duty is duty, sir, and I will have to place you under arrest. The President and the other six drivers were escorted to the local priescinct, where they were processed. Grant was released after paying a twenty dollars bond that was forfeited as he didn't show up at the hearing the following morning, thus resolving the matter for himself. It was reported that thirty two women showed up to testify against the other drivers who did have their day in court, who vehemently contested the charges in vain. Grant never did appeal his arrest or the fine that he paid. He even supposedly later acknowledged that he had been in the wrong and that West had done the right thing. However, it was far from a one time incident. Records show that during his presidency he received at least three different citations for traveling too fast in a carriage. Grant remained in office until eighteen seventy seven. He lived until eighteen eighty five, but spend his final years battling cancer and racing to write his memoirs to bring in some money for his family before he died, as he had bought them nearly to the brink of insolvency. Meanwhile, West completed a successful career as a policeman in nineteen oh one, when he retired after some thirty years on the job. In nineteen oh eight, he was interviewed by a reporter who published a newspaper article that went viral and appeared in various publications around the country. The formal cop went into detail about his most famous arrest. He described why he made the stop and arrest quote. Several residents of the neighborhood had complained of horsemen who speeded their horse along Thirteenth Street while driving two and from the Brightwood Racetracks. President Ulysses S. Grant was one of the drivers who used Thirteenth Street, and many a time he engaged in a speed contest with his friends. In fact, full spurts of speed were frequent occurrences, and the street was at times dangerous for women and children. Citizens complained time and again to the police about the conditions prevailing along the street on account of the furious racing going on, and orders were issued for the police to stop the racers or unquote. Although the story of Grant's arrest was sometimes called anecdotal in the past, the Washington DC Police Department has confirmed more recently that it did indeed happen. While it is remarkable for a number of reasons, it also it's also just a good example of law enforcement, a law enforcement matter being handled by the book, despite fame and power of the perpetrator. So, yeah, President got arrested. It's possible. Gives me hope. Once upon a time it was possible.
Speaker 3: I think all parties involved might be too scared for that to happen.
Speaker 1: Now it's unfortunately, Well, you know, there's a popular narrative or a popular what is it. What's the word I'm looking for a refrain maybe that people keep saying over and over again. Who knows, But conservatives are saying that this is unprecedented. You know, I'm referring specifically, we're referring to the investigations indictment of Donald Trump and the investigations and the potential indictments for him that are still lined up, and how everyone's calling it a witch hunt and saying that this has never been done before and it's unprecedented, and that he's being targeted and this and that and the third and trying to suggest that he is kind of beyond consequences because he has served as the president and now he's like a national treasure or something like that, or because he did these things while he was in office, he's automatically exempt from prosecution or whatever whatever fantasy arguments that these folks come up with. But I think the point that everyone is echoing on that side is that it's unprecedent, it hasn't happened before. And the fact is is that we now see that it has happened before. And indeed, the arresting officer was a former slave. So that's some way black history for you right there. So when I say, you know, it gives me hope, that makes one of us well hoping nothing. So yeah, it's it's a yeah, it's still it's still a long ways away, but it has happened before, and I think that counts for something.
Speaker 7: So so yeah, I can't wait to see what happens with this indictment and whether or not it goes the way that we're hoping and that there's some accountability.
Speaker 1: I know that Georgia is looking like a juicy right teach right on the other side of it, one way or the other. So I won't hold my breath true to form, but I'll have enough hope for both of us. How about that? All right? I think that's gonna do it for us here on Civic Cipher once again, I am your host Rams's job.
Speaker 3: He is Rams' jah, I am still q Ward and yeah, I think that's about it.
Speaker 1: Do his favor. Hit the website, submit any questions, any topics you want us to cover. Make a donation. The show is growing and we will continue to grow with your support. And also download this in your previous episode and check out all our social media, including our YouTube. It's all at Civic Cipher and you can follow me at Rams's jaw.
Speaker 3: Me at I am q Ward. Hate, like, comment, subscribe, share all that stuff. But don't hate hate you know what I mean? We welcome just do it on the platform. And if you're gonna hate, do it right. Make sure having a constructed bargaining. Don't don't just throw nothing no nonsense our way, man. We don't need none of that. We're trying to do something good man. Until next week, y'all, peace.
Speaker 2: Y'all like yo, We had to leave these presents a fabulous o our lady, showing you where vomb traveled this well. Speak tones from sunlight to move, busting on stage like gonna fight, spot roll my mic back there like that jonal list with journalists too. We can strike back a horb borders with orders from head borders behind and and be line sides up and the borders with press pass.
Speaker 1: We bring it to you as it happens the streets. Love popped in from music.
Speaker 2: You're rapping the street comparing the slash peak Expando. You're gonna fight the slander with the proper propaganda.
Speaker 1: What's happening? It's how you got a questions to ask? If the Deuce is just a TV show, You're past it.
Speaker 2: And this from Aquife wartime journalist headlines wait y'all preheats and resist like this, like this, like this, like