Speaker 1: Coming up on the Booth Preview of Monday Night Football, Logan, Washington's got to stop by dynamic Connection tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and with the addition to t Higgins, that gets a little bit more complicated.
Speaker 1: It does. How about Jadon Daniels though we might have our own cheat code in.
Speaker 2: Washington, man, I certainly hope so. And like with jayde and Daniels and versus Cincinnati, defense is a really narrow path to victory, but it's there.
Speaker 3: Hopefully they can get it done.
Speaker 1: We're saying there's a chance on the Booth Preview. It's coming up. Welcome into this week's edition of the Booth Review. Bram Einstein, Logan, Paulson. We're going to call this the Booth Preview because we have not called Washington and Cincinnati first primetime Monday Night game that Washington's had early in a season in a long time, in the first Monday night game that they've had in two years since they had that memorable one in Philadelphia, the b Rob game where they ran the ball down the Eagle's throat ended a Philadelphia undefeated season. Psyched, Logan, you psyched to get into the Booth tonight for the Monday Night against Joe Burrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, really excited. I mean, I think this is gonna be a really fun game to watch. And you know, the more it's so funny every time you kind of do a preview, you know, whether it's for Command Center or whatever, like, there are some engaging storylines and some interesting thoughts experiments about like football at its core. So it's gonna be fun to watch that be executed tonight on a primetime stage.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go. Let's do a little booth review of the other teams in the nfcas really quickly, and just on Dallas where the score looks better than at least the first three and a half quarters were against the Ravens. Their run defense was swallowed up by Baltimore. They were getting blown out yesterday. Suddenly off of a quick turn of events and a recovered on sidekick, they made the score look better than it was. What, just in general, is your take on Dallas right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean I think Dallas has got to kind of figure out like who they are defensively and kind of figure how to stop some of this stuff, you know, some of these run schemes that people are thrown at them, and to me, it's not even like super technical at least the stuff that I've seen. It's more just a physicality mindset, and like how they've constructed the team.
Speaker 3: You know, we talked about a little bit last night.
Speaker 2: They've got these kind of undersized defensive tackles and they are used to playing in a certain type of game flow. They want to be ahead, so they can rush the pass, they can run stunts, they can bring pass rushing pressers, and all of a sudden, when you're in kind of a close gamer year behind, that's really challenging to deal with with the personnel you have on the field. And obviously, like Mazie Smith for them, hasn't lived up to the billing in terms of being that kind of big, disruptive, run stopping defensive tackle. But I do think that's something they definitely got to look at. They're young at the linebacker position, they're kind of Lafou from Notre Dame is kind of a guy that I thought was going to be very productive for them, but it is struggling to kind of find his feet from an intellectual standpoint. So they got some they got some growing to do on the defensive side of the football. For sure, And I think when you've got a defense like that, offensively, you need to make sure you're you're you're more productive and you're more consistent. And they just weren't that yesterday, or at least Ax wasn't that yesterday. And obviously they came on late in the game, which is important. But I think it's the way that teams built is the offense has to be excellent, and the offense wasn't excellent yesterday.
Speaker 1: All Right, how about the Eagles real quick who got by had some interesting decision making, right, and then Saquon Barkley saves them, I mean, makes a couple of humongous runs and they're in a tight game and they get what I think is a pretty good early season win for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say, I think that's a's a nice win for that team. I think, you know, like that a lot of adversity, and some of that was done by themselves, you know, in terms of the you know, going forward on fourth down in the red zone. But I think that shows a grit for that team and it's something that they needed to do. You know, people are calling for Sirianni's job out in Philadelphia and I think that win like had to happen, and it kind of came in in a little bit of an unconventional way. And it's supposed to play from the running back, you know, this position that's supposed to be devalued, and obviously they went it made an investment there, which is fantastic for them, obviously, and then Dallas Goddard with an explosive playoff of a coverage bust and then you end up getting the w late late late in the game. So showed a lot of grit and you know, you're never supposed to root for Philly, but I like seeing teams kind of persevere through those moments, and it was great to see Philly manage that and hopefully at least not versus the Commanders, but hopefully, you know, that's something that they can that organization can carry for a little bit because it is one of those kind of character defining wins.
Speaker 1: So all right, so let me go back to Dallas for a moment and get your thoughts on something, because I think it kind of applies to Cincinnati, who's got a lot of pressure on them. They have an all world quarterback, there's high expectations, there's an assumption that they're going to be really good playoff team and potentially more. And in Dallas, who's got a lot of expectations and a very good quarterback and all this stuff, there are a couple things that I think are kind of characteristic of both of these teams. And I just want to start with Dallas and I'll transition over to our game tonight. Dallas can't seem to run the and can't stop the run right now. So if you can't do either one of those things effectively, or you really can't do both, I don't know how you have some high expectation of what your season is going to.
Speaker 2: Be, right well, I mean now, I mean it definitely seems like defenses, you know, like this is the era of defenses catching up and they're playing softer coverage structures and you know, one of the like kind of football one on one day one installs in terms of how to get people out of two high shells to run the football. And if you're not impacting the game effectively running the football like you're going to get these You're going to allow them to like play bracket over cd Land. You're going to allow them to play these two high structures which are going to limit your explosive plays. And you know, like if you look at explosive plays corollary in terms of you know, top ten offenses the league, like you need to find a way to drive explosive plays, and if you can't get them out of these two high shells, they're really going to limit what you can do from a production standpoint offensively.
Speaker 3: So I definitely think running the football.
Speaker 2: I know that's like kind of archaic in terms of philosophy, but I just think when you look at what defenses are doing now, like it's something that you have to do, and when you can't do it, you're putting everything on Dak and like that's just not an effective way to run an offense. Like even when you look at some of the best offenses and some of the best quarterbacks, you look at you know, Peyton Manning, you look at Tom Brady, look at Drew Brees, like all those teams the thing that made them excellent. And I think when you look around the modern landscape of the NFL now, like like Detroit, San Francisco, they can do both. They can beat you throwing the football. They have explosive playmakers, but when they have to put it in four wheel drive.
Speaker 3: They can get it done.
Speaker 2: And so right now, I think again, Dallas has a lot of youth on the offensive line. They you know, what is their actual identity. I don't really have a definitive answer for you at the moment, but I think they definitely need to figure out a way to get that done because they're going to need it at some point in this season obviously.
Speaker 1: So let me transition over to the Washington game tonight and Cincinnati's zo in two. They've got tremendous amount of expectations placed on them for a lot of good reasons. And at the same time, here's what their problem is. Early in the season. They're giving up one hundred and sixty yards per game on the ground. They're having a hard time stopping people. Some of that is injury related, which we can get into because they're missing people in their interior defensive line. And they also don't have the run game they've had in the past with Joe Mixon. They have a run game that is struggling as well. So I see similarities here between these two issues. With slow start doesn't mean watch he's going to go win tonight, But like I see the pathway, don't you. I do.
Speaker 2: I do see the path I mean it is a narrow pathway, but I do see it. I think when you're a team like Cincinnati that is, you know, kind of known for your quarterback and your two wide receivers, like people often lose sight of like kind of the fundamentals of football. And so what I mean by that is, like we just talked about it with Dallas, like your ability to stop.
Speaker 3: The run, your ability to run the football when you have to.
Speaker 2: Obviously, like if you're Cincinnati, like that seems foolish because you know your best player, you want him touch the football all the time, but you need to kind of find ways to de leverage him, you know, to make it easier for him to play good football, you know, for the entirety of the football game. So I do think there are a lot of similarities. I think, you know, you mentioned Joe Mixon being gone. To me, it's more of a personnel thing, you know, when you look at kind of the offensive tackles specifically that they brought in, and they bring in Trent Brown, they bring in Orlando Brown, who again are great pass protecting tackles.
Speaker 3: They're big hulking guys.
Speaker 2: You know, they're six eight, they're three thirty, they're three forty, They're gigantic. I think in trends, Casey might be closer to four hundred pounds. But when you bring in guys like that, you use, you lose some of the lateral mobility of the on the offensive line and you and you make your run game less effective. I know that seems counterintuitive, but like that, you know that right tackle has to cut off a three technique on the backside of an outside zone run, and if you can't get that done, that three technique is going to make the tackle. In the NFL n aut of ten times. So they've made stylistic decisions in terms of roster construction. I think inform inform why the run game has been semi inefficient. And also, like you know, you about Joe Mixon. I'm not saying he was a world beader. He was an efficient back, and I think they felt that they, you know, they kind of played the moneyball game and said, oh, we can bring in you know, Moss and he can be sent he can be just as efficient. And that is true. But I also think you've seen, like we just talked about in the Philly example, like how an excellent runner can elevate an offensive line. I think you saw that Week one in Houston with Joe Mixon and how effectively he ran the football there. So I think I think they've made some decisions in terms of how they've built the team. And again, it makes sense to me because you want to protect Joe Burry, you want him to be the focal point, so pass protecting offensive linemen are going to be at a premium for you. But I do think that informs why they're having such a difficulty running the football and then defensively stopping the run. I mean, they've just been absolutely waylaid by injuries. And you know, guys that they brought in, they brought it in the draft haven't played yet. The veterans they brought it in are hurt hamstring, soft tissue injuries, so they're kind of, you know, scrounging the bottom of the barrel. They brought in Guy Lawrence, a guy that was playing when I was playing, to kind of fill in on the defensive line. So they are in a tough spot there. And you know, as much as you want to say, like you know, defense is a mass game in terms of stopping the run, and it is you need some bodies in there that are capable of standing up and stopping the run. So I think there's it's multi factorial for them. I think offensively in terms of running the ball, it's stylistic that they want that. And defensively, I think they're just they're they're so banged up.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, so let's stay on their offense, the Bengals offense. And if you're Washington, you're Joe at Junior Dan Quinn, don't you want them running the ball tonight? Like to your point of people are playing defense where they're basically begging you to run the ball, and we're seeing passing numbers across the league go down, and people like mel Kiper literally complaining about the passing numbers going down because the way people are playing defense and describing this as baseball, like we should outlaw the shift like for whatever reason, Like, isn't though, this isn't this what you want? Don't you want Cincinnati running the ball tonight as much as possible if you're the Commanders.
Speaker 3: One thousand percent. These remind me of games.
Speaker 2: You know, a couple of years ago, when you know, there kind of was this movement to too high and everyone was playing you know, these too high structures, these quarter structures versus Patrick Mahomes, and they were forcing Andy Reid to call runs, and like I want I would prefer that, I would prefer that they run the ball forty times and throw the ball twenty because again, the most effective weapons in their offense are Joe Burrow and Chase and t.
Speaker 3: Higgins and they're all going to play and then they've got a great tight end.
Speaker 2: In Gaseki in terms of catching the football. So I want them running the ball. Force them to run the ball, I know, like analytically, you know, like they're just in terms of VPA, is just a less efficient play, Like as much as we want to say, like you got to run the ball to get the amount too high, like run the ball.
Speaker 3: As many times you want.
Speaker 2: Because one of the things that happens is when you watch team teams that are good at running the football, they'll have like a five yard run, a six yeard run, a ten yard run. Then they'll have a neutral run, a run of zero yards, and then that's where you have to make your money defensively and capitalize because now you've pinned them into a kind of more obvious passing down. Can you get an incomplete pass? Then you got a third and ten, and now we're cooking. So I'm playing baseball here, playing you know, playing the moneyball game and saying, this is a less efficient play, especially for the Bengals. Let's get them to do it as much as possible so that we can capitalize when they hit on a non official. And that's the other thing is, even though like mathematically, like if we play light boxes, they just have not run the football well at all this whole season, the Cincinnati Bangals. So not only is it a less efficient play across the NFL, but it's especially less efficient for the Cincinnati Bengals. So lean into those things. They're going to make a mistake. It kind of reminds me of the Shane Baddier playing defense on Kobe Bryant. You know, he's like he's he's the most he's the least efficient off the dribble. So I just forced him off the dribble as much as possible and kind of played into that, and his shooting percentage was like twenty percent or something like that. Like that's all you're doing just playing math, like Kobe Bryant is going to score, Cincinnati's going to score, But how do we limit the total number of points they score? And I think it's like enticing them to run the football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that the pathway here and to your point might be narrow. But Washington successfully running the ball, you know, possessing the ball, hopefully doing so against a weaker you know, run defense, and this is their strength obviously coming in at least of the first couple of weeks, and Cincinnati forced to run the ball more, maybe even against their will, runs the clock shortens the game. Suddenly you're in a close ballgame in the fourth quarter, and then who knows what happens. There's a couple of other things that are going on with Cincinnati that I think are really interesting. They have a new offensive coordinator this year, their ex offensive coordinator's head coach Tennessee Now and last week against Kansas City, they threw fourteen targets the tight ends. And I know T Higgins wasn't playing and he was injured, but that seems off to me. That their best weapons are on the outside, and yet the bulk of the offense isn't going through it. So what do you make of how Cincinnati's in general played offense through a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I think that's kind of how they're constructed at the moment. Obviously, yoshievsh is the other guy that's kind of playing opposite Jamar Chase at the moment, and he's a good player. He's kind of got that big prototypical like ex Bill, you know, sixty three, two hundred and fifteen pounds. He's from Princeton and a good player, but definitely not t Higgins at this point in his career. Right, They've got Burton, the kid from Alabama who's the speedster, and he hits some explosive plays.
Speaker 3: But when you look at.
Speaker 2: The experience of the receiving corps, I mean, I look at the tight end position and I say, you know, Mike Koseki has been around for a long time and he's basically a big slot at this point in his career, he's like six six, he's like two thirty five, So again, not like a big, hulking guy, and that.
Speaker 3: Makes a lot of sense to me.
Speaker 2: He's going to be able to create favorable matchups very similar kind of actually to the Washington Commanders going to be able to create favorable matchups underneath, and he did and they were able to capitalize on that. He's explosive. He ran a four to four coming out of Penn State, and you see that explosive speed.
Speaker 3: I want to say it was like the fifth or sixth.
Speaker 2: Player of the game where they're trying to hit a choice route to Jamar Chase. They bracket him, and then Joe Burrow kind of works the progression. Extensive play hits him across the middle of the field, he beats a safety in one on one Mike Koseki does and is able to run the sideline for a forty five yard game. And then you have Eric All I think is his name, Eric All, the tight end from Iowa, who is like super physical in the run game but can run. They hit them on like a little scissors concept. So post by number one, corner by number two off of play action and he can get after it. So when I look at the athletes they have there and the experience that they have there, I say to myself like that it makes a lot of sense because you're going to draw good matchups now with t Higgins, back, I expect that target share to distribute more of the way you'd assume it would, right, you know, the two outsides, we get more targets, But don't sleep on the guys they have in the middle, especially at tight end. Like when you look at their depth chart in terms of tight end, they have five guys active on game day, five guys because they all bring something a little bit different to the party, and I think they honestly do. Envision Gaseki is a true big slot, Like he's not playing in line a lot. So to me, don't think of Gasek as a as a tight end. He's more of a receiver. So I think when you kind of break it down like that, you say, you know, treat Gaseki receiver. It's only actually then seven targets for true tight ends, which is a more reasonable number. So I think when you kind of contextualize it that way, it makes a lot more sense and quite fine. Frankly, like last week, those were the best players in the field were the tight ends and Jamar Chase.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it will be for this week of Higgins's back up, but Tanner Hudson's injureds He's already been deemed out, so they will be missing one of those tight ends this week tonight. On Chase, I think the striking number with him through a couple of games, and only they can really answer this, because you know, he didn't practice in camp because he was in a contract stalemate with the team, and maybe that's part of it, or maybe it's just structurally what's going on around the league, or maybe it's just them. His yards per catch numbers way down from where he's is as explosive a receiver as there is in the NFL. He's getting under ten yards per catch, So at least through a couple of weeks, teams that have played them have limited the big play to him, which is such an obvious key to tonight that he cannot defeat them on the outside with over the top explosive plays. So I don't know what you've seen so far that people have limited Chase, but clearly that needs to be replicated coming into tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the problem is, I'm not sure it will be able to be replicated because when you look at how teams the Kansas City Chiefs and the New England Patriots played Cincinnati, it was literally like the old school Julio Jones megatron coverage where like devil be damned, like we are rotating the safety over the top of the over the top of Chase. We've got him in a bracket, We've got him in some type of advice. And I've never I mean, I'm sure I have before at some point in my career, but I don't remember both teams playing that level of volume towards that coverage structure in a long time. Like it was like almost every single staff and definitely every third down, definitely every second and along like you could almost set your watch by it. And so I think basically what the last two teams said is like they don't have another receiver opposite him that were really worried about. Obviously, Burton's very fast. Your CIVS is a good kind of possession guy. I mentioned Mikeseki on the inside, but like there's nobody that scares them. And so they were basically like, we're going to just you are not going to hurt us. And so like just crazy coverage structures, like they're playing man coverage. There's no plug player, it's zeroed out across the board. There's a true true double team over Chase, and that's just you don't see that very often, and I think it just speaks to kind of the playmakers that Cincinnati has, like we already had. But so I would say, oh, well, we should replicate that same game plan, We should do the same thing, and I would encourage teams to do that because if that's if that's the main weapon, then yeah, for sure take that away.
Speaker 3: The problem is to Higgins is coming back.
Speaker 2: We already mentioned how good Mikeseki's in the slot, So I think with T Higgins coming back, I think it really limits your ability to do that unless you feel like, for example, that Benjamin Saint Jews can match up in a one on one situation favorably with T Higgins. And I know, after watching him versus Mike Williams, maybe that's the play. Maybe it's like, hey, you know, Saint Jews, go earn your money today, lock up with T Higgins. We'll live with a couple explosive plays to that, but we can't let you mar Chase beat us. Maybe that's the play that the Commanders go with today. And I don't have atually hate that matchup, you know, like because te Higgins isn't like super super quick again, he's more of a contested catch ball guy. And I go back to how Saint Geu's played against Mike Evans, and he played that game about as well as he could have. So maybe you feel good about that and you can go with the bracket. I just think it becomes way more challenging to engage in that game plan when you have two dynamic guys on the outside.
Speaker 1: Okay, the other part of this, obviously is they're going to have to get pressure on Joe Burrow. Last week against Daniel Jones, I think it's safe to say that not enough pressure was applied and he had a very good game against them. With Burrow, it's different, and we were talking about it when we were calling the game last week with Jones. With Jones, if you pressure him, there's no telling what he'll do. He'll become inaccurate, he might turn the ball over, he slides into pressure like he gets rattled, for lack of a better term, That's not what happens here. Burrow will literally step up into the pocket. He will take the hits. He's got the respect of all the coaches. He's very tough. You'll hear people like Dan Quinn talk about a Tapia's and he's got the injuries to show for it through his career that he's willing to do it. So, as you think about pressuring Burrow, how do you think about getting to him in a way that could be effective to get the outcomes that you're looking for tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I think everyone says pressure, and I think that's important, but I think it's more it's more important to keep him unsettled and not fall into a rhythm defensively.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I think when you look at some of the best game plans against him, it's the ones where he asked to hold the ball for a little bit. So what's the coverage contour look like? Can you disguise what you're doing? Can you drop you know? Can we bring simulated pressures? Can we drop eight? Can we bring those like overload five man six man pressures when we have to and get home with him. So I don't think it's I don't think it's about necessarily getting pressure. I think that's an oversimplification. I think it's more how do you make him uncomfortable and how do you make him second guess what he's looking at? And I know that's that's easier, said than done right that he's one of the best quarterbacks in football. He's you know, he's got that, you know, Joe Burrow cool. He seems to be unphased that return by what defenses present. But when you look at when you look at Kansas City, there were down in distances where they did a good job of disguising what.
Speaker 3: They were in.
Speaker 2: He held the football and it didn't lead to a sack necessarily, but it leads. It leads to incomplete passes, and incomplete passes leads to lead to punts and those are wins for the defense. So that's that's what I would say. It's not so much pressure, it's just how do you make him mentally and physically uncomfortable? And again, there's a million ways to do it. I'm really excited to see what Joe Witt chooses to do. But I would say, what do the disguises look like? What do our what do our pre snap pressure looks look like? Do we drop out of them? Are we bringing stuff from those looks? Because again, if you much like the quarterback with the offensive line, if you're able to present different looks and different angles to the quarterback, you can create kind of sneaky pressures off four man rushes. So that's what I would kind of keep an eye on today. And again, the pressure is important, but you can help yourself out by making the quarterback a little bit confused and a little bit tentative, and hopefully Joe Junior comes with the game plan that does that.
Speaker 1: There's one other thing with him, and this is what's different obviously about Jones and Burrow. And Burrows in MVP caliber quarterback and so I think it's unfair to judge them, but when you get pressure around the outside on him, he typically will step into the pocket. And one of the real big talking points of this entire week is John and Doran and the impact that they've had in the games, or some belief outside that they haven't had the impact that people have anticipated. Here's an opportunity, right if you know that, Like where he's going to go when he gets the pressure around the edge is come back into the teeth of your defense, or what you hope is the teeth of your defense. Here's a night where John and Deran can make impact plays if they win, right or am I off?
Speaker 2: No? I think you're hundred percent right. I think I think That's one thing good quarterbacks tend to. They should step up into the pocket. You see kind of young, inexperienced guys stepping back out of the pocket, and that's becoming more and more common, kind of with Mahomes doing it all the time. But you know, most traditional pocket passers, you know, you Drew Brees or Tom Tom Brady, your Peyton Mannings are going to step up into the pocket. So Joe Burrow to me, is definitely in that mold. And obviously when you have a guy that does that or has that skill set, you want to create internal pressure. But you know, like and I do think this is a good week to do it. I do think the Bengals defensive or offensive interior is just okay. I think they're very solid. I think they're a good group together. I think in terms of one on one pass bro especially when you watch the New England game, you know White, I forget his first name, they're defensive tackle number ninety nine, really put them in a blender in obvious passing situations and really stress that group out. So obviously he's coming on strong as a young player in the NFL. But I do think John and Deron have that ability. Now it's about identifying the moments when you can really and hook unleash the beasts kind of so to speak, and like really get after the quarterback. But I do think especially with a guy like Burrow who's not quite as mobile, you can be more aggressive with your rush plan. Right.
Speaker 3: I think that's going to be good.
Speaker 2: I think that was one thing you saw last week with Daniel Jones, a little bit more conservative rush plan, I think. I think the other thing is the New York we talked about this on the last Booth review we did, is they were very, very aware of the pass rush and so there was a lot of max pro's, a lot of heavy play action pass You're not going to get those same that same plan, or you shouldn't. I don't think from Cincinnati because they haven't shown that all year, they're going to be like, hey, we trust Joe Burrow to get us right, we trust our offensive line to help them help them protect them, much like Tampa Bay. And I think if you look at the Tampa Bay game, obviously the six of the five or six pressures that they had are well documented. They got to get home and finish those. But I think that a performance like that in this game because of the offensive philosophy is definitely on the table.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, let's get to the other side of the ball. That's what the broad blood, which I thought was really funny, was, here's, you know, Jayden daniels first Monday night game, and it's bright lights and all this stuff. When Cliff Kingsbury was asked about it the other day, he goes, I don't know, He's played in Death Valley at Night a million times. I don't think this is going to be and he kind of surprised him and through all of this, the whole cool calm collected. He's been there before, he has acted the part, lived the part, and I honestly have no concerns about that. There are other rookies that I would, but I don't here tonight. He's done this kind of too many times. And if you play Georgia and Death Valley on a Saturday night, trust me, and I don't know that it does get much bigger than that on a football stage, honestly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I'm not worried about the lights being too bright, because he's definitely showed that's on an issue. I'm worried about Lou Anarroumo and his defense. Like, that's what I'm worried about, because this defense is very unique in terms of like the coverage structures they present, like the pressure practices that they bring, the kind of the game plan philosophy, and so what I mean by that is like they run a lot of stuff, and they play hard, and they're pretty good in the back end. There's no like elite name back there necessarily, but they're very consistent and they're on the same page, and so they.
Speaker 3: Do a great job disguising coverage.
Speaker 2: And so some of that stuff that we talked about with Joe Burrow that the commanders have to do, this ant room defense does it all the time. That's like that's part of their DNA is we are gonna kind of hold coverage shells, gonna we're gonna we're gonna get the stuff that you're not expecting. We're gonna play man match, we're gonna play straight man, we're gonna play cover two, we're gonna play quarters, and we're good at all of them. And so the thing I'm worried about is like when you look at what happened versus Todd Bowles and Tampa Bay and I mentioned this to you last night, is he was a little bit uncertain, he was a little bit accelerated, and in this game, like I think the same thing's gonna happen, like if from a coverage perspective, and again like Anromo does bring pressure. He brings a lot of first down pressure to stop the run, he brings a lot of third down pressure. He wants to be aggressive. But my big question for tonight is not the environment. I think he's gonna be totally fine, it's just what is Can he trust what he's seeing and is he effective with that? Because if he's effective, we're gonna be fine. But if he's a little accelerated and uncomfortable, that's what issues start to happen. And you know, obviously this Cincinnati defense picked off Patrick Mahomes twice in their game, so you know, they do find ways to get turnovers, and a big reasons of it because they've got very consistent players in the back end who embrace the defense. They play hard, and it's a good scheme. So it's kind of like this trifecta of very challenging things for a young quarterback to navigate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was funny. I was talking to Dave Quinn the other day, and you know, he always talks about year like how we bring it and you know where ball is life and we're going to get the ball and all that stuff. If you watch Cincinnati, you see it, like you literally see it. And he was talking about how they've been in the system for a long time, they trust this system for a long time. They go after the ball, they're around the ball a lot. I think to your point, they're speeding up some decision making. They're also very aggressive trying to punch things out. So this team hadn't turned the ball over yet in two games. It's going to be a miracle if they don't turn it over tonight against what is an extremely aggressive defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I totally agree.
Speaker 2: I think I couldn't I could have said any better myself, Like that's like, that's the main concern for me is this offense has been crazy efficient in terms of protecting the football, and that always allows you to be in the game because if your defense is able to sneak one or two, you're able to gain two possessions like in a game and you have and turn the football over, that's excellent. But in this game, like that's going to be the real challenge, like b Rob holding on the football, Austin Eckler with great ball security, and then Jayden Daniels consistent like you I heard you.
Speaker 3: You did a I was listening to a podcast you did last night.
Speaker 2: You were talking about how effective Jade Daniels been about not turning the football over. I think that becomes even more important tonight, Like it becomes such an important thing. It's always important, but in a game where you might be a little bit outmatched offensively, like it becomes kind of the most important thing is offensive efficiency, staying on the field and protecting.
Speaker 1: The football, Like I'm with you on Like in the first game, it felt like the internal clock was really sped up. But it was his it was his debut. He's taking on a defense with exotic blitz packages. They're blitzing forty percent of the time, Like, no kidding. But at no point in time we did have the sack fumble. But at no point in time did he instinctually make what I thought was a bad decision with the ball. He didn't throw it in a bad spot. It was never close to being intercepted. Did he vacate the pocket a little too soon, sure, you know, like we could parse out and nitpick some of the things he did. And in week two, similarly, a lot less blitz is coming his way, maybe sped up a little bit at times, but again, instinctually, he's not putting the ball in Harm's way. He's not making poor decisions, and to that this is where I'm very positive. And as Fred Smooth put it, if this is ground zero, what's next for him? Because he's playing the position really well, and obviously we're hoping there's you know, he's going to improve and prove and prove. But the part about his game that really impresses me to this point, go watch the other rookie quarterbacks that are out there, or any young quarterback or the ones that's taking years like Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield to find a spot where they're not turning the ball over regularly. This is off to a really good start from that perspective. You win or tie the turnover battle you're in every game that you play, and he's not putting them to this point in Harm's way. I do think that's going to be tested tonight. But it's the most impressive part of his game to me to this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, And again I think the thing about this the game tonight that is so compelling is I think this is going to be the biggest challenge for him so far this year. You know, you mentioned the prime time environment. We haven't even talked about Trey Hendricks yet. He was an absolute maniac. But the coverage in the back end are you trust? And again I look at Cliff and I say, you've done. You did a great job against the giants of kind of easing him into that game plan, easing him into that game, excuse me, like with kind of easy RPOs, quick game you know these kind of quick pre snap reads in terms of screen, no screen, that type of stuff. So can you do that tonight? And what is at Roumo's plan? Like he has seen this, he understands the issues that Cliff Kingsbury's offense is going to present.
Speaker 3: Like what is his solution? Like does he play a lot of man here?
Speaker 2: Does he kind of change his coverage philosophy to kind of say, hey, like we want Jade Daniels to beat us from the pocket.
Speaker 3: Like I really think there's a lot of really.
Speaker 2: Compelling things happening on that side of the football to stop us. And again, how does Jade and Daniels, How does Cliff Kingsbury does his offensive staff manage and handle that while still being able to maintain some of the some of the ball efficiency that you just talked about there.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me get to Terry McLaurin. He was another humongous topic, you know, this entire week. The number with him is yards per catch is under five. Okay, So they haven't found a way to unlock him. It's not that he's not part of the game plan. He's the most targeted receiver. They just haven't figured out a way to put him in a spot to be effective. The two shots that they've taken in two games were in the Tampa game, neither ended up being complete, and one was a near miss at the beginning of the second half against the Buccaneers. So as you think about Terry and his role in this offense, what is Cliff Kingsbury thinking about to try to find some space for him to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think you know, there were shots in the Giants game. The Giants just covered it well, you know, So I do think I think that number will definitely level out here. You know, maybe levels out tonight and maybe as an explosive play, and we're not talking about his you know, under five yards per catch average anymore. I think it just it's such a small sample size this early in the season. I don't think we can like make those conclusions because again, like if he hits if he hits the ball the first incomplete ball versus Tampa Bay, we're not having this conversation. Then there's the one that Jane misses. Then there's the two that the Giants cover like they're trying to get the football down the field.
Speaker 3: But I do give Cliff a lot of credit.
Speaker 2: They have been very selective about those moments, and I think that's really smart. I think you want to be selective about when you take those chances because a the young quarterback you want to feel very comfortable. But B it's also the offensive line too, you know, kind of insulating that group and keeping them protected. So I do think that number will definitely change. Hopefully it changes tonight. Hopefully there's an explosive play. To Terry, we can stop talking about this. But to me, I'm not worried about it. Just like when I watched the All twenty two I'm like, Oh, they're trying to get this done. For whatever reason, it didn't work out, so hopefully tonight's tonight and they're ready to go.
Speaker 3: And they hit on a.
Speaker 2: Couple of those explosive plays to him, and this offense looks amazing and we're coming out of here with a dub. But and again, if Terry gets an explosive I think that's going to be a huge part of our offensive success, because we just talked about at the top, like, if you find explosive plays, usually you're finding ways to win the football game. So again, I'm not that worried about it, and we'll see how it goes for the rest of the year. But I think we need more data points, we need more games, and I'm very confident Terry's going to find ways to impact this game, and I'm very confident Cliff's going to find ways to include them in the game plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, So let me get to what is, you know, seemingly on its face, the path to victory for them offensively, which is, here's a team that rushed for over two hundred yards as a team a week ago, Brian Robinson at a career high. They're running the ball in the middle of the field. Cincinnati's given up one hundred and sixty yards per game to New England and Kansas City. They're missing Sheldon Rankins. BJ Hill is probably not going to play. They're calling up guys off the street and off the practice squad. They had a draft pick that got hurt in the middle of training camp. He's not available to them, so they're they're weak in injury in the middle of the line. They're already not defending the run very well. This is Washington's strength. Explain to me how this is not a heavy run offense tonight for Washington.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it is. I think it's going to I think it has to be to a certain level. But I think you got to look at how Cliff did it and against the Giants, it wasn't like we're not coming out, We're not running the ball, run, run, run, No, it's hey, we got to spread them out. We've got to earn the right to throw to run the football. And I think that's one thing I really appreciated. Uh, you know, watching watching that Giants game is it reminded me a lot of Kyle in terms of approach, Like Kyle and Sean and Mike McDaniel and Matt Lafleura, like, they'll never find offensive coordinators more motivated to run the football than those guys. But the thing about them is they're very fastidious about not running into bad looks. And I think when you look at what made this group so effective running the football is their ability to not run in the bad look And they ran into favorable box counts right a bunch of times. B Rob's big explosive run I think it was in the third quarter, kind of on that double pool play. They're running into a five man box and I can't tell you, I don't think I've ever seen I've ever seen a five man box on first down ever with a tight end or running back in the backfield.
Speaker 3: Never. And so like Cliff earned that, he earned those looks. He earned those explosive plays by being patient. So and again it comes back to kind of a more you know, a more what's the word. I'm looking for, a more fundamental principle of football, and that you need to make sure you're getting first downs your stacking plays. I think about how kind of herky jerky the offense felt against Tampa Bay because they weren't able to sustain these long drives. They weren't able to get deep into the playbook. And I look at the Giants game and it's like the total opposite of that. We're able to get to some trick plays. We're able to get to the run looks we want, We've earned those looks. We're able to be efficient on second and long in third and tens, like with Jayden Daniels running the football, like, there's other elements of the offense that are required to make sure you can run the football efficiency and efficiently. And one is stacking plays, one is earning the right opportunities, and the other is being really really good on third down.
Speaker 2: And so if you look at that game against the Giants, obviously this team is amazing on third down. And so that's that's the storyline I'm following. Averyone says, Oh, we got to come out to run and run the ball to win the game. It's more complicated than that. You got to you got to get first downs, you got to be efficient running the football, and if those things all happen, then you're in a good spot. So that's what I would say. It's like because Leu andor Room is gonna have a plan. He's gonna have a plan to stop the run. They know they're banged up, they know that that's this team's strength, at least through two games. They're going to have a plan to stop it. What is Cliff's plan to get them out of that plan and let us do what we want to do. And I think again that talk about compelling moments, like we'll know within the first quarter who's being successful with that.
Speaker 1: Well, we were talking a lot about this last night, all right, So they know that they have their injuries, they know this is Washington's strength. What do you expect to see early from the Bengals defense to try to force Washington out of running the ball right up the middle of the field.
Speaker 2: So, for me, it's just math. It always comes down to math. I mentioned the five man box against the Giants, right, And I don't care how good you are, how wonder man you are from a personnel standpoint. If I say everyone has a gap and then there's one free hitter for the ball carrier, it's really hard to run the football. It's really hard to run the football at any level. Right, If you just have more guys committed to it, then.
Speaker 3: We have blockers.
Speaker 2: Basically, the problem is, like again I just talked about this, I think that's the plan for Lou. I would assume coming at the gate is just be plus one. That's what I'm saying is you have to earn the right to run the ball by throwing these kind of little dink and duck screens. Because like if you watch the Giants, they came out with a very similar approach. Early in that game, they had, you know, seven man box they had six man boxes. But as the game went on and we kept throwing those little dink and dunk kind of RPO screens out on the perimeter, they started playing four over three. There was three receivers to the right, there's four receivers, there's four defensive players over there. If you're doing that, then of course you can run the football. And I look at how Jayden handled some of those in terms of checking to runs when they needed to. Like that's big time stuff. So to me, the game plan out the gate is we're going to be We're gonna beat you with math. So how am I going to do that? I gotta play man coverage on the outside. If I'm playing man coverage on the outside to take away those screens and bubbles and all that kind of stuff, and I'm going to press up on you, and I'm Jayden Daniels like that gives me deep shots down the field, which are lower percentage throws. So is he enticing me to throw lower percentage throws lu and Roumo? Maybe? Also, if he's playing man coverage, it makes Jaden a little bit more effective as a scrambler. So there are drawbacks to some of these things we're talking about, But I do think that I think if if I'm luing Rouma, I'm coming out with I'm playing the math game, or I'm finding ways to artificially increase my chances from a math perspective with line stunts, you know, like for example, these Tampa two teams back in like the Indianapolis Cult heyday, they'd stud four. They bring the linebackers straight down in the B gap and basically what you've done is you've taken the offensive line. You've made them double up on guys they don't need to double up on, so you have the free runner that way. So those are the two ways I think he kind of comes out and does it. But then what is the reaction of Cliff and are we able to beat the weaknesses.
Speaker 3: Of those new schemes that he's calling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am expecting some zone read tonight, and I'll tell you why. So obviously the run game and the effectiveness of it, you know, based on the attrition that Cincinnati comes in with and the deficiency that they've shown here early, and this is the strength just reads like this is something there to try to take advantage of. I want to talk about Trey Hendrickson with you in a minute, like personally, because he's off to an incredible start to his season, dangerous, dangerous pass rusher, he's been winning a ton But what he will do I don't like when we were talking about earlier, Like if you watch Burrow closely, what you'll see when the pressure around the edge comes is he will step up. So here's an opportunity for maybe our defensive players to make a play. His tendency is to go to the outside, and we I think can win, right, I think we can win. In the interior offensive line against the backups that are coming in for Cincinnati. It screams zone read to me that there should be some opportunities with gaps between left tackle, left guard, center, et cetera. Catch them, Jaden makes the right call, pulls the ball down. There should be some open gaps there, and that's why I expect zone read maybe not to be prominently displayed, but could have big moments for Washington if they catch and they catch Hendrickson doing what he typically does, which is his tendency to go around the outside with a speed rush.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's how he rushes.
Speaker 2: But you know, in terms of running, like how he stops the run, he's usually pretty gaps sound. But again, like that's one way to handle a really good football player is to read that player. And again, if you can stay efficient, if you can stay in second and manageable, third and manageable like that play becomes way more effective. And I think you saw the effectiveness. I think they ran it three times against the Giants, because again, it makes those rushers less effective than those short down in distance. But if you're in a third and ten, like, it doesn't matter. You can read that guy all day and it's not going to change anything. So I definitely think zone reid is going to be a big part of the game plan. I think they got to be smarter about winning, how they're implementing it, and so again something for sure to keep an eye on. But yeah, they definitely need to figure out a plan for our guy Hendrickson and make sure that he doesn't ruin this game and get some more tackles benched because he hasn't he gotten a couple of guys bench this year. Yeah, I think, yes, I want to understand.
Speaker 1: Last week the rookie, the rookie tackle from the Chiefs got benched.
Speaker 3: Didn't Sumatia Atlanta yep?
Speaker 1: The week before He's had an impact game. What are these new metrics I've seen called quick rushes getting to the backfield in a certain amount of time. He leads the NFL with that. So why don't we get nerdy with Professor Paulson here, Because while I'd like to try to see if the Commanders can catch him and take advantage of some of his speed tendencies the outside and find a gap in between left tackle, left guard, et cetera, however they formulate doing that. He's a real problem this year. He's among the league leaders in sacks. Over the last couple of years, he's had an extremely disruptive start. So if you're Kingsbury and company. How are you thinking about trying to limit Trey Hendrickson tonight?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you just got to call a really good game.
Speaker 2: And I know that's like duh, But so what I would say is, like we talked about managing first and second down efficiency, and one of the things that he does, Trey Hendrickson does a really good job of is understanding when it is a passing down and kind of selling the farm on passing downs, which all good rushers do, like Von Miller is excellent at that.
Speaker 3: TJ. Watt is excellent at that. And so how do.
Speaker 2: I limit his ability to assume it's a pass rushing down is make sure I'm third manageable, right, third and two. Because then you talked about then we can get into some of our RPO stuff. We can get into some of our z own read stuff and handle that quick game. Is another way to really mitigate that guy that kind of rusher's effectiveness, because like they predicate themselves on getoffs, So if I'm always getting the ball out quickly, he can never get in a rhythm in terms of attacking the tackle and setting up multiple moves throughout the game. The other thing that I think is actually, you know, the more you think about it is going to be a huge part of this game is the screen game. And I look at how Cliff called it and when he called it against the Giants, and I thought it was very masterful in terms.
Speaker 3: Of insulating the offensive line.
Speaker 2: Because the screen again, it's much like the quick game, it just limits his ability to be super aggressive to the pass because he has to retrace and get back in on the play. But it all kind of circles around this principle. You cannot be and obvious passing downs a lot in this game.
Speaker 3: So what does your.
Speaker 2: First and second down efficiency look like? And that is maybe the number one tell number one key to eliminating a guy like that, Guys like that effectiveness. And I think back to, you know, when Montes Sweat was here and Chase was here, and how other teams would call a game. They would call a game to eliminate that group from the field. And I think that's kind of how you got to call a game here. And I think when you look at what Cliff did last week against New York, did a great job of doing the things we just talked about. Quick game, RPO zone read on that player to make sure that he can't impact the game, like you isolate him by him having to make a decision right and Jaydeen Daniel's ability to keep them in second and manageable third manageble by running the football on scrambles and design runs. So that's what I would look at is that's the way you kind of keep him out of the game. Now the problem is, let's say you have a bad we have a neutral run on a first down, it's second and ten, and then you have an Inglebley pass and a third and ten. You better believe he is coming with reckless abandon to come get the quarterback. Now, what's the plan. Do we send the slide to him? Do we always send the slide to him? That can be a little bit easier with an edge player, right, going to kind of work the three man slide to him so the guard can help out if he needs to probably chip help. Do you line a tight end over top of him so he can't get the correct angle to rush and that tight end could even be in a two point So those are some tools to kind of keep an eye on in those third down situations, third and long situations to kind of just make him a little bit uneasy, and again you're never going to fully be able to disrupt how effective he is. But those are some things, some tools that I would probably look at. Draws or another great example, quarterback scrambles are also super effective because it forces them to be more disciplined. So there's a lot of tools at the disposal, it's just about the implementation. And again that's one of the reasons I'm so excited to watch this game is because every it seems like at every position, there's a little chess match between the coordinator, between the player, between the individual matchup, whatever it is, and I can't wait to see how it chicks out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, Washington's had a lot of more than more success than you would think with a rookie quarterback on third and longs, but often it's been Jane's legs that have ended up getting the yardage that's been necessary. And I think to your point, you know, obviously a lot of attention is going to go to if they're in third and long situations, so they're gonna have to make decisions about that. Sam Hunter Sam Hubbard is a very good pass rusher on his own on the other side, and then I'm picturing the Cincinnati defense looking at Andrew Wiley and thinking that there might be an advantage here and bringing someone and forcing him to make a choice. So I'm actually worried about the other side if they get into these third and long situations. I think third and long tonight is a death sentence for this team. Honestly, I don't. I don't like in the first couple of games they got by, I would describe it that they got by and oftentimes it was Jaden making some decisions to pull it down. Take Off made some great plays with his legs. This one feels a little to your point, I think this is the biggest challenge they faced from that, and I think this is going to be a tough one tonight. They need to be in third and manageables as much as possible this evening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again that's like that's true of every team in the NFL, but there are certain teams that are better equipped to overcome it. And right now, even if you look at the offensive line construction for the Commanders, like those dudes are excellent in the run game, they're excellent in the screen game. They're excellent draws, they're excellent, like moving around straight drop back. You know, five step drop not great, and there are very few teams that are great at it. I think when you look at Cincinnati and how they've constructed their offensive line, it's kind of the reverse, right, they're good at these like long drop back scenarios while they're bad on first and second down. So it's kind of the decisions that they've made or what they what they inherited from the previous regime. But again, like Jade Daniels in this in this instance is the ultimate trump card because as much as we want to talk about how good Trey Hendris is going to hit Trey Hendrickson is, they have not played a quarterback like Jayde and Daniels in terms of his ability to run. And it really again, it affects your ability to be confident with your rush. Like you know, I do some consulting for three or four d ns around the league, and that is a thing that comes up every single week when you're playing a Russian quarterback. It's like, how do you stay aggressive with your rush but also maintain rush integrity and keep the pocket nice and tight. And so maybe they do that, maybe they're able to kind of say, hey, Trey. We're going to think more power rushers, more bowl rushes, off the edges, compress the pocket, force them to step up or force them to step back. That's something else to kind of keep an eye on with Hendrickson is like, do you say, hey, Sam Hubbard, you are a bull rush guy, only right down the screws of Wiley to compress the pocket down, force Jade Daniels to step back, and then Hubbard then Trey hundredsdon takes a nice ha angle around. So there are some things that you'll see from a four man rush perspective that's gonna that they'll utilize to try to get Jade Daniels where they want to get them from a pocket standpoint. But again, like I can't wait to see what those look like. There are a couple things that I just mentioned that they could do, but we won't know until tonight obviously.
Speaker 1: All right, last thing, I also believe a third and long I think is a death sentence for them. I think if they have if they're incapable of scoring when they have their opportunities like they did a week ago against the Giants, I think that's gonna be a problem too. So as you now have had like a week to think about zero for six in the red zone a week ago. What's just your general takeaway and how could they execute better?
Speaker 2: Starting to well, I think the first thing is like, you cannot this offense isn't good enough to take negative plays, like when you're watching Kansas City, you know, last night on Sunday Night football against Atlanta, they take negative plays left and right, they take negative runs, they take penalties, and then they have this ultimate trump card back there and Patrick Mahomes is able to overcome. Most teams don't have that. So the things we're talking about are just like normal day one install stuff. Can you be efficient on third down? Can you be efficient on first and second down? And can you be efficient in the red zone. It's situational football, and I know that's kind of basic, but for a team like this, for a team like the Commanders, these things become even more important because the margin for error is so small. So for me, it's just can we not take penalties? And this is where the environment of Cincinnati I think becomes relevant, is because you had a whole bunch of false start penalties at home. It's going to be insanely loud here like, don't get it twisted. They're going to be turned up for tonight. And can you manage the game? Can you manage those pre snap processes and not draw penalties in the loudest moments of the game in the red zone, the when the home.
Speaker 3: Crowd is really juiced up.
Speaker 2: So to me, that's a major one because I don't think I actually don't think that the play calls were bad.
Speaker 3: I don't think the play designs were bad.
Speaker 2: It's just it comes down to not shooting yourself on the foot because most offenses, I don't care how good you are, you cannot operate from first and twenty. It just doesn't work right. You just put yourself behind the eight ball from the jump. So and no sacks. No, you cannot take negative plays in the red zone. You can't do it. It's just going to kill you. So that's something that I would say, like did you get that corrected? Does Jaden feel good because some of those he's taken sacks on RPOs? Like the ball needs to be out even if once you've pulled it you don't like what it looks like, throw it away.
Speaker 3: I don't care.
Speaker 2: Like we just got to be a little bit more efficient with that stuff. So no negative plays in the red zone. I know that's like great football analysis, but like, make sure the quarterback feels comfortable, make sure he knows he can get the ball out, and let's get some points on the board. Because the play designs were not bad, it just came down to, for whatever reason, inside the fifteen, inside the twenty, execution was not where it would be.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. And this happened in the Tampa game too. This team, and it's all new, they're not equipped yet to make up for the mistakes that occur, especially in a situation like that. And I think this was underrated too, because I thought Jayden played very well and again is instinctually playing in general really well. And he's not putting the ball in arms way it's really important. He's clearly capable of these really electric plays, specifically with his legs. He took two sacks in the red zone, now one of them, you know, and both in both cases there were throwaways there. Eat it, throw it away, get to the next play, don't take a negative play. In one of those cases, he checked into the Eckler run that went third and fourteen to fourth and one. They gave them a shot, right, they gave them a shot, and then they had the pen that was the first of the three penalties that backed them up again, and they chose to kick a field goal there. But like it's him too, Like it's everybody. It's not just him. He took two sacks on red zone in red zone territory as well, So it's everybody, and they're still learning as they go here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's something you know that you're I can't tell you how many meetings I've said and where that's been the discussion. We got to be more efficient in the red zone. We got to be more efficient in two minutes, we got to be more efficient on third down. It's I think the million dollar question is how you do that. I feel like after watching the New York game and after watching the Tampa Bay game, the path for this team is very is relatively simple. It's let's be better with our pre snap process season, let's not take sacks.
Speaker 3: And so those are.
Speaker 2: Kind of easily I want to say, relatively easily corrected. You know, obviously Jade Daniels is trying to make a play on two of those sacks. But I think it's about that's again where he's learning what he can and cannot get away with as a runner, and like when it's time to kind of you know, get you know, like take the loss and throw the ball away or whatever. So that again, that'll come with time. But I think the pre snap stuff like that, again, that's something that I think can be improved on just by making it a point of emphasis. And hopefully it's better this week, and hopefully they score some touchdowns, which which I which I'm really excited for maybe Jane daniels first touchdown of the season, So I really really excited for those things in the red zone specifically, and really excited see how Jade Daniels just handles this Luin Romo Divas defense in general, and again like he's gonna have some special stuff dialed up throughout the game, but also specifically in the red zone. So really really interesting matchup from that standpoint.
Speaker 1: This is really a great matchup in a big time primetime spot, and I think like we're both on the same page about this. There's a lot of unanswered questions and I think this is this is a heck of a matchup to find out a lot about where this team is regardless of the outcome. I think this is a big time opportunity to find out kind of where they are on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 2: Honestly, no, I totally think so too. And you know, like we didn't talk about the Giants in our kind of preview of the division or review of the division, but they beat the Cleveland Browns and look pretty gosh start and good doing it. So maybe maybe the Giants are better than they think, and you know, maybe the Cowboys are worse than we think, and maybe Philly is exactly what we thought. But the moral of the story is it's open. And the thing about the NFL is every single week, if the game plans right, if the stars aligned correctly, you can win the game. And so I haven't felt that way in a long time about this team. But I think with Jayden Daniels at the quarterback spot and some of the new energy with the coaches, you're like, man like, maybe they can do it. If the plans right, if they put these guys in a good spot and the guys execute it, it gets there. So I'm encouraged and I think that's what And again, like Cincinnati, I think is a roster but like this team could be better coached potentially, and I will see tonight, and I think that's another thing I'm really excited to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And also we just we also have not had the cheat code quarterback in a very long time, and I think we're seeing the beginnings of that. Where we talk about these things where you go, can this team overcome mistakes? And you're like, well, the Chiefs have that guy back there doing that. Maybe we do too, And I don't want to get too far ahead of it, but like at some point, maybe we do too, and we'll find out.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and we'll find out tonight. But these are the types of games where you find out, right, does he make a big play? You know, does he make that big completion of Terry? Does he make the right decision on his own read to the red zone and walk in for a touchdown? Like these are the moments And I hate to put it all on the young guy, and I think credit to Dan and credit it to Cliff, like they haven't put it all on him. But he's going to need to make some play tonight, and if he does, like that'll be really exciting obviously because it will kind of to your point show that we're on that path of finding the guy as opposed to, you know, someone who's still growing and kind of figuring it out.
Speaker 1: All right, Logan, I'm excited for tonight seeing the boot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too, looking forward to it.