Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: All right, Gods, welcome back another virtual edition of Earn Your Leisure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hanging this thing, that's a fact. Well, a few technical difficulties.
Speaker 2: Apparently, So Yeah, this is an exciting episode for sure.
Speaker 4: For sure. Shout to Jamila T.
Speaker 2: Davis for introducing this young lady that we're about to Jamaine Miller as well. Yeah that's a fact, he was. Yes, for sure, shout to Jamaine Miller. So we this is a conversation that we haven't had yet. Everything is a conversation that we haven't had. That's the good thing. Your leasure every week is something different. So Ronnie Brown is a phenomenal entrepreneur mother. She's really big on social media. She has a company called Girl CEO and pretty much what it is is she empowers women and shares tips on how to build social media platform and I only just build a social media platform, how to monetize the social media platform, how to build an online community, and just general entrepreneur tips in general.
Speaker 5: She's a brand expert.
Speaker 2: She has a podcast, she's a podcaster. Fellow podcaster that for sure. We gotta get on her podcast for sure. That's aside, soon come. And she's a best selling author. She's Ted Talk Yeah I watched it. Yeah, So a lot going on. So we're going to talk about a lot. We're going to talk about, you know, entrepreneurship. We're going to talk about social media, how to monetize, building the community, all that good stuff. But before we start. Thank you, thank you for joining us, appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Thank you guys for having me and being so patient because I was a part of that second question.
Speaker 3: Today we have I tell people all the time, we always have technical difficulties. The end product is all that matters and that's what they're gonna see. So it's all good, yeah for sure. So all right, so let's get into it. So you have a very large following on social media. Your business page has I think two hundred and thirty eight thousand followers. You have over one hundred thousand followers, one hundred and seventy five thousand followers. And like I said, you got booked, you got podcasts, all that stuff, but your journey and being an entrepreneur.
Speaker 2: Didn't start like right away. So you have an interesting story. So can you talk about that as far as the lead up to what you do?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 2: I know you know, yeah, you're from DC originally, right, Yeah, I'm from Washington, d C.
Speaker 6: So I grew up in Washington, d C. Shout out to everybody that's listening that grew up in DC. I graduated from Dunbar Senior High School, so definitely Crimson Tide and I grew up in the projects of DC, so definitely not the White House. Definitely an entire different environment. And I had my first kidness sixteen years old, and I always tell people that's kind of where my story started, just being a team mom growing up in the city, in the inner city, and taking my son to school with me every single day, being determined to graduate and really change the trajectory of my life. And that's where my story initially got started. I was just determined to go in a different direction. You know, when you're coming up and you're having a kid young, then you have all the odds stacked against you. You know, a lot of people are doubting you. All your mama's all your friends mom, They're like, stay away from her. She pregnant, she's a bad influence. It's not the person I want my kaya hanging around. So I went through a lot of rejection in my life, and I spent most of my twenties really trying to build myself back up and show people that my life wasn't over. Everywhere I went, people were like, oh, you didn't go to college, you know your life is over. Oh you didn't do this, you had kids too young. It's really going to affect you. So I was really detiming to show people that I could. And I spent most of my younger years just really hustling and working hard and trying to find my lane. And I grew up in an environment where guys there were no businessmen to really look up to, you know, there were street guys where I grew up at. I looked at what they used to do, and I kind of grassed that concept, and I just turned it into the business model of learning sales right, learning how to work hard and get up every single day. And that's how my story kind of started. I got fired from my job, and at that time, I was on my second kid. I was nineteen. I had my first kid at sixteen. I had another kid at nineteen, and I was riding home from that job after getting fired. I was three minutes late.
Speaker 4: Where'd you work at? Who'd you work at?
Speaker 6: I was working at a call center, right, y'all know those call centers don't play you late for working, Okay. So I was working at a call center and I was pregnant with my second kid, and I was three minutes late. I was nine months pregnant, and they fired me. I got down on my knees and I asked my supervisor, I will never forget white lady about six feet I begged her to let me keep the job. Out on my knees and I was literally crying, like, let me keep this job. I need this job. I'm pregnant with my second kid. The holidays are around the corner. She let me. She said, okay, well think about it. She let me work the whole day, and then at the end of the day she called me in the office and she's like, no, we had to go in a different direction. Gotta let you go.
Speaker 5: Then, pink slip, pink slip me.
Speaker 6: And I was riding home, dude, when I tell you, I was in tears. When you ride home and the radio was off, that's when you know you got a lot of stuff going through your mind. So I'm riding home, I'm thinking to myself, what am I going to do to change my life around? And I get home and my son is there looking at me. I need to figure out how I pay this rent. And I just got on Google. I started researching, you know, how to make products my hand. At this time, I'm desperate. I have like three hundreds dollars to my name. I'm like, Okay, I got to figure something out. I started googling. I'm making handmade products to my house, and I'm broke. So at this point, this is back in two thousand and nine, right, I'm broke, So I don't have money for a graphic designer. I don't have money for someone to come and hook this website up to make it look fly. For me. I'm starting from scratch and I need to get a few groceries and figure some things out to cover me over the next month or two. So I see everybody that I went to school with, because my behind did not go to college because I had to choose, you go to college or you go to work and take care of your son. So I chose to go to work and take care of my son. But I saw everyone that was going to college. They were using something called Facebook, right, and they were connecting with all of their college friends on Facebook. So I'm thinking, hell, let me try this out. I know these people. I didn't go to school, but I know them. So I get on there and I see all these people sharing photos. But the photos that they're sharing our photos of like college campus and parties and having a good time. Meanwhile, I'm over here doing mom life at nineteen, trying to figure it out. So I'm like, Okay, well I'm going to flip this a little bit. Let's see if this works for me. I can't afford a website. That's out of the question right now. I'm like, let me post some of these products that I've made in my house on here as pictures to see if anyone will respond, because I'm bro and I can't get YEA, what.
Speaker 4: Kind of product?
Speaker 5: When when you got home?
Speaker 3: Right, you take that long drive home and you sit down in the couch and you like, what do you think? Like, I'm gonna take that piece of cloth and makes it?
Speaker 5: Like what are you making?
Speaker 6: Well? I remember talking to at this point. I remember talking to a lady who I admire. She was like a mentor to me, and she told me because I always wanted to be an entrepreneur, but I just didn't have it all together at that time. She told me, whatever business you start, take a look at what you spend your money on, and that's the direction that you want to go in, because that shows your interest. So I look around my house and I'm see pending candles all this make up, you know, body scrubs. I'm in my bathroom, looking right at the first place I go there when I'm trying to take break. All the moms that have kids in here, y'all know that bathroom break is a good vacation, right. So I go in the bathroom and I'm saying, candles, makeup, body scrubs. So I start making handmade beauty products. And so that was my first business. I got on Google. I learned how to make candles. I learned how to make mineral makeup. I learned how to make scrubs. I googled up vendors for packaging. I got my printer out right, I started making labels, smacking the labels on them. They look terrible. I look back some of my at some of my pictures on Facebook. You guys can go check that out. But it was just a part of the process. And I slapped the label on it, and I started taking pictures with my cell phone and I'm uploading it onto Facebook. Once everything comes, everything arrives, and I literally we start getting feedback from the people who are on social media following me. They're saying, well, how does this mail you know, how does this look how does this feel? And this was back in the day, So this is when people were using PayPal buttons. I don't know if y'all remember PayPal buttons or not, but this is when you can go on PayPal and you would literally create a little button on there and you would paste or embed the button, or it would create a link where you can paste the link and a person can click on the button and they could buy it. And I started pasting these PayPal buttons onto my Facebook page and people started buying my products from me. And from that moment on, I knew that I was onto something. I looked up and I was literally at a place where I was paying my rent with handmade products that I was making as a mom of too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's crazy because I remember, I'm assuming we're probably running the same age, but I remember when that when Facebook first came out, I was actually I went to school in Maryland, so I wasn't too far from from DC. I was in UNBC shot out to Baltimore, and I remember when it first came out and it was dough Facebook, and yeah, you had to have a college email. You had to have like a edu which is like an education email to actually be a part of Facebook. So when you tell that story, I just kind of get flashback. So that's crazy, all right, So so you're early on. You're early on as far as without really even probably realizing, like you know, what you were doing early on with the e commerce selling things on social media because people have been selling things online for a while, like eBay before social media, but selling things actually on social media platforms like Facebook just recently set up there their online shop, right like just now, it.
Speaker 5: Happened two weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have their own online shop now, so you can directly shop. Yeah, so you can shop through Facebook and Instagram allows you now to shop.
Speaker 5: So that's like a whole new feature.
Speaker 3: But what you did was kind of brilliant, right, Like you turn your Facebook page into your website because you can't afford the website at.
Speaker 6: The time, exactly, And that's how I got started.
Speaker 2: And social media is way more interactive and engaging than a website. Like I always tell people, like, you gotta have a website nowadays like a business card, so people know you're official, But nobody's going to your website, like just for no reason. People go to your social media all the time for no reason like that's that's way more. Every single day if you follow somebody, if you're not caughting an algorithm, you don't see that post. You're gonna see what they're posting. You're not gonna just see a website every single day unless you're going to that website every day.
Speaker 5: What's the likelihood of the website actually changing?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So all right, so now you kind of catch the swing of it and you say you're making enough money to pay your rent and that's Facebook. So where does it go from there?
Speaker 6: So from there, I literally build my business up to a place where I open an actual storefront salon. So open the salon and I start selling my actually at the salon. The problem that I realized with doing that, I was started making a ton of money, but as a mom, I didn't have time to be with my children. And that's the part that I really didn't understand about business, because when you're physically somewhere and you're exchanging time for money, then you are literally having to show up twenty for seven, And when you're in that environment, it's late nights. I mean you're there at ten eleven o'clock at night on a Saturday, so I wasn't getting that time with my kids. It was to the point I was bringing my children with me to the salon, and I said, there has to be a different way, because we are kind of taught that when you open up this business and you have a window and there are bricks, that you've made it right. So I accomplished this dream of opening this location, and then I'm sitting there after opening and in a year or two goes by and I'm like, man, this isn't what I thought it would be. So then I went back into the internet world. That's when the Instagram came out, and this was Instagram just popped up and people were just like posting pictures on there and I'm like, wow, okay. So then I started selling more products online. I partnered with a company and I learned that I can literally not have to be present and I can share and market products online and make money. I started to do that, and within my first seventeen months, I do like a million dollars just posting pictures of products on Instagram.
Speaker 3: So you started with the candles and then the makeup line, and then you added more products. How'd you go about manufacturing and distribution? Because I mean you said you can come from a business background. Is somebody teaching you that or you self taught team spreading that process.
Speaker 6: So what happened was when I started that business, initially it was my product line. When I learned how to sell on social media, I partner with the company. They were doing mass production, they were doing they had all the products manufactor so I came on as an affiliate as that of theirs, and then I started marketing their products online. Right So I got to a place where within my first fifteen months, I had made like a million dollars, and I started to learn how to sell, how to grow, how to market online, how to generate leads, and all of that stuff. And right now, and you know in my life where I'm where I am right now, I'm formulating my own product line. So I'm coming out with my own product line right now. But I sold as an affiliate and created that level of income for about five to six years before I learned the game.
Speaker 5: That's a valuable lesson.
Speaker 3: And I heard you say this before that there is a lesson to be learning every job that you have. There's something to learn in every job you have. So I know you are a Janta. You worked at a law firm and a banking and travel agent, all revolving around sales. Can you talk about the person the importance of learning each lesson as you went along to the way it brought you to today.
Speaker 6: Well, I think the biggest thing that I learned was to stay humble. That's the first thing. The second thing I learned was to not allow other people to see the value in you before you see the value in yourself. I learned a lot when it came to selling and getting people to become customers. When I walked away from that business and that partnership, I had probably over one hundred thousand customers in the system at that point right this is over five year time period. So what I learned was that the secret sauce was me. Sometimes in life we don't see the value of what we bring to the table. We think that when someone presents us with the opportunity, they're blessing us, and you know, it's a great opportunity. But the truth is, sometimes we are the blessing to them. We have the secret sauce, and it starts with us not having confidence in ourselves. So some of the biggest one of the biggest things that I've learned it is like, you have to know your value, and if you don't know your value, there is someone else who knows your value and will know your value more than you know it for yourself. Right, Sometimes someone can give you a small commission and you're thinking, man, this is great. But the truth is they may give you fifteen percent where you can get eighty percent, but you didn't ask for eighty because you were so excited about the fifteen. So what I learned is really understand the value that you bring to the table. Another thing that I really learned from that experience was to take the time and think about the lesson in what you're doing. When I was mopping floors, I hated it. I was so freaking embarrassed to be a janitor. I used to lot of people and tell them I was a medical assistant. You know how you were the smocks they know they thought I was a medical assistant. I was a housekeeper. Okay. I was so embarrassed just to do that job. But the truth was, when I was doing that job, I had to be humble. I meant sick people that were dying, and I would be in those rooms with people at stage four cancer and they were super sick, and they would talk to me and they would just really educate me on just saying focused with what's important in life, but it's not all about money, and it's not all about success. And just seeing them on their deathbeds wealthy people. You see wealthy people on their deathbeds and they're not worried about their businesses. They're crying out for their families. So it put a lot of things in perspective for me to remember that my children are priority, that being present is priority, and to not allow money and success to just overtake everything.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you this. Let's go back to this for a minute, because I'm interested. So all right, I got a couple questions. When you made that, you say you made a million dollars and fifteen months selling products. So my first question is what products were you selling?
Speaker 6: So I was selling beauty and wellness products online for a company.
Speaker 4: So beauty that's like here, It.
Speaker 6: Was skincare, it was detox products, it was weight loss. It was in the realm of my first business, so it was already in my lane's It was skincare, weight loss.
Speaker 5: De Talks all health and wellness. The tummy te's that's before.
Speaker 2: That's before, that's before tummy t Tummy Te's is a I think that's a wave that is recent.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was that's recent, but it's similar to weight loss, beauty, all of that stuff. I don't want to mention the company because they're not getting over.
Speaker 4: No no, no no. Are you good? You're good?
Speaker 2: You're good? So all right, so so so my next question is is how you because around that time twenty twelve, we started a fashion blog, fashion Wave. Fashion Wave because at twenty twelve was when I shout out to Val, good friend of ours. She's also really big on social media, and she was like my first inspiration on social media. But even before she became big on social media, she's one of the people that introduced me to Instagram in twenty twelve. And like you said, that was early Instagram twenty twelve, but people were just still showing pictures of their dogs and it was more of a community feel at first. I remember, you even had to have an iPhone. They didn't have Instagram for androids. So but I used to follow this page called fashion Climax. Fashion Climax was like a look Book and they had like, yeah, yes, they found out who she was too, had They had like a million followers back then, and I was just following them. I don't even know how I started following, but I started following. But then I realized what they was doing. And they they was running ads early before anybody was running ads, And I'm like, this is crazy because like they would have somebody with an outfit on and they would tag the design and like this is where you can get it and twenty percent off cold Fashion over Fashion, Climax whatever. But nobody really knew that it was an AD cause it was like it was a it was a soft cell. So when I realized what was going on, I was like, this is crazy, Like this is a way instead of people paying for an AD in the New York Times or whatever, like you could pay five hundred dollars to this girl. I'm assuming that's what she was getting pad. I don't know what she was getting paid, but I'm like, you could reach a million people. I'm like, nobody's doing this right now.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 5: They're a million at that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that's when we I went to the guys. I'm like, yo, we should start a fashion blog and then we could promote other designers. And so we started off a fashion page called fashion Wave. We actually got to like twelve thousand followers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we was moving.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we kind of abandoned it.
Speaker 2: But I say that to say that was early on, Like and I just saw that and I was just kind of There was no course, there was no blueprint article or nothing like. That was early on. So being how would you selling early on in regards to that, Yeah, so early.
Speaker 6: On it was results. It was a result driven. So it was me using the product. It was me just being relatable, me showing products on my timeline. Back then, your pictures were blurry, you know, there wasn't there were no presets. There were no people were walking around with cameras. You know nowadays everyone has these big cameras that they're walking around with. I was uploading. It was showing the journey. That's how I started. My Instagram was like a diary. It was more of a digital blog. This is what I'm doing every day. It was me sitting around dreaming and talking about the things that I wanted to do. And the cool thing about my social media pages, all of those pictures are still there. See a lot of people they get to a certain point and they delete all the crunchy stuff. I kept all the crunchy stuff on my social media, so you can go back. I've been on Instagram since two thousand and eleven, so all of those pictures are still there. It was me posting my day. It was me talking about the things that I wanted to do. It was me posting the product, using the products, drinking their products, putting the products on, showing the people my daily routine. And that's how I grew my audience that way, and that's how they started to buy from me, from watching me do something and use something on a consistent basis.
Speaker 5: You were the original influencer, Yeah, but I didn't.
Speaker 6: Know what the heck I was on. I was like just trying different things back then. You just try, And I think that's a really big thing that we have to keep in mind. Sometimes we don't start because we want the perfect blueprint on how to do something. You just do and you figure out what works as you go.
Speaker 4: So how many followers did you have back then?
Speaker 6: Oh? I started with zero followers, just like everybody else.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, like when you was making money, when you made a million dollars, how many followers did you have?
Speaker 6: I probably had less than five, probably less than five to ten thousand followers.
Speaker 5: Less than five That well wow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: The young lady who has a child at sixteen has now made a million dollars.
Speaker 5: What's that thought process? Like? What are you thinking at that point?
Speaker 3: Like this is something I got to continue, like the family work balance. What's going on with in your mind at that time?
Speaker 6: Well, you think you made it. That's the first thing. You think you made it. I talked to so many entrepreneurs and now I mentor so many women. Everyone wants to make a million dollars. To be honest with you, you make a million dollars after you made it, It's like then what right? So after I made a million dollars, of course, my goal was to start to diversify my income. I went and got got into a Stanley Morgan, got an investment firm and started to you know, get stocks and bonds and try to get at the stock market and get a financial advisor and account and a bookkeeper and all these different things. But the truth was I made that income off of like ten to fifteen percent commission that that company was given me right. So as I started to make more money, I started to invest more money into knowledge, and I started to invest in like courses and masterminds and getting connected with people who were multi millionaires. And as I started to get on those courses and understand what was going on, I started to realize, hold on, there's something missing here, There's more right, There's more opportunity out there, and I started to connect myself with people who are a little more educated. So then you start becoming hungry for wisdom, and then the ownership comes back around because right now we have a ton of influencers that are online marketing products for different companies. But the truth is the people who are winning are the companies right, and the influencers are literally we sell our data. We don't understand that our data is so valuable, that our platforms are so valuable, and you start selling it. And I started to do research, and I started to understand where where the economy was going, but where technology was going overall. So I started to think, no, I need to create something that I own because I can't keep pimping my platform and giving my data away for pennies, because that's what I was learning in the Masterminds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's something that's extremely important. And the five thousand follow up thing, I don't want to just breeze over that because that's crazy that she was able to make that much money with five thousand followers. But also that's before I think Instagram had an algorithm, So your five thousand, like now, if you have one hundred thousand, it's like really five thousand because only five thousand people seeing your actual posts. But back then it was a little different. But also that goes to something that Ryan Leslie said on our podcast Shout Out to Ryan, where he was like a lot of times you can make more money with a niche audience, Like if people five thousand people that's really really devoted to you, it's actually more valuable than having a million people that are just following you, because just cus like you know what I'm so, it's like, I know for a fact that we can make way more money, have made way more money than pages with three million followers because it's like a lot of these pages or you know, people that have three million followers, they don't really have a following for a reason. They're following them because you know, they might be a pretty girl or whatever.
Speaker 5: It's entertainment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, outside of outside of Fashionova or the tummy t situation, you're struggling because you don't really have a product to sell yourself. You don't have any courses, you don't have any platforms, so now you're just looking for other people to pay you to promote for them, which is okay, but like you said, like that's not really the big goal. The big goal is actually to be able to have your own thing that you can promote and now you actually are in control of it, and now you get to, you know, kind of position it however you want.
Speaker 3: And that's something that Derek Ferguson also said that data is the new goal of our generation, So like we have to know that and we have to position ourselves to be able to use it for our own benefit.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure. So yeah, that was an interesting backstory for sure. So in the next second, we're gonna go over some different tips that small businesses and just influencers can use to help grow their page because that's what people really are interested in, right, And it's a lot of different strategies. We've used, some strategies we know personally and I'm sure you have some different tips as well, so people are.
Speaker 5: Gonna be listening to like five thousand.
Speaker 4: I got that, yeah, so we'll go on to that next, all right.
Speaker 2: So this is a conversation that is extremely important to influencers, to business owners. I said this the other day, and it's been unfortunate. Since coronavirus, forty of African American businesses have completely went under. And that's more than any other ethnic group. And there's a lot of different reasons for that, but one of the main reasons I personally think is that the majority of our businesses that we start our local brick and martar businesses, so barbershops, restaurants, salons, beauty salons, sneaker stores, things of that nature, where it's like, hey, it's already a limiting business model. Not to say some people get offended. Not to say that brick and martyrs can't be successful. Brick and marts, this can be successful. But I just feel like if you don't have an avenue to make money online, you don't really have a business at this point in time, because there's too many variables. If you're just relying on a brick and martar and social media I think it is a must have, Like, you cannot have a business if you don't have a social media presence. Even if you're not playing on making money on social media, at the very least, you should have it for marketing purposes.
Speaker 3: Because you could have a scalable product, Like if you're going to do a brick and Martar, have a scalable product that comes out of that brick and Martar.
Speaker 5: We saw that with a boy, Wade Barb's.
Speaker 4: From DC too, So he's from Maryland, right outside of d C.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he created a product that was scalable and now he's off and off to the races.
Speaker 5: Man eight figures, non figures, who knows?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so so yeah, And before I start too, I wanted to acknowledge this because the thing where your lead is that we bring on all different types of people because everybody can relate to somebody. And we've had a bunch of people that have been incarcerated. We've had a bunch of people that went to Ivy League school, we had a bunch of people that just did a variety of different things. But the reason why I say incarcerated is that a lot of men, sometimes women too, but mostly men. They get discouraged because they're like, if I have a criminal background, I can't become an entrepreneur. And that's not true. We see that all the time with some of our best guests are most you know, prestigious alumni that have criminal records. So that's for the that's for the young men, but a lot of women might you know, have a child early or teenage mom situation.
Speaker 3: How how many have been told you know your life is over? This did what are you doing exactly some of the things. So before we start, I just wanted to because I wanted to say that before. But I think that that's encouraging as well. And I'm glad that we can highlight somebody that you know, was a teenage mother. But that doesn't mean that you can't be successful. It doesn't mean that your life is over. And you know, no matter what path your life takes, that's your path and you can't define it by somebody else's path.
Speaker 2: So that's one of the good things with the platform. Like I said, we get to highlight so many different people and somebody can relate to somebody's journey. So I'm sure somebody's listening to this that might be a teenage mom or might have been a teenage mom and has given up on their dreams. It's never too late. So I just wanted to throw that in there. But all right, so making money online, Yes, we're going to talk about some different strategies that we use. But yeah, what are some tips for businesses or you know, influencers that may have a following or maybe trying to build their following to actually because that's a real hard thing for a lot of people to actually figure out how to actually monetize. It's like a podcast. People don't know how to monetize podcasts. Like, what are some tips that you can give like some business owners or anybody to monetize online?
Speaker 6: But sure, I think the first thing that you want to keep in mind is really take the time to sit down and think about the problem that you're going to solve. Often we don't think about what it is that we are going to solve for other people. What is the issue? What is the problem that we're going to solve. I always ask people that the value that you are going to provide to other people, what problem is it going to solve for that audience? So the first thing is think about what problem am I going to solve. That's the first thing. The second thing is really make sure that you know who your audience is. Often we create products. I see a lot of people create products, or they create programs, or they create services, but they don't truly know who they're targeting. So the first thing that I would say is think about the problem that you're going to solve, know who your target audience is, and also make sure that that is what your audience wants from you. Right, we're in the stage where everyone is starting a business. Everyone wants to be an entrepreneur. We sit down, we create these products. We just put things out there because it's what we want to sell, is something that we wanted to do, but we don't really take the time online to figure out if this is even what the people who follow us want from us. And the way we do that is by studying the data, studying the analytics, seeing what people are more responsive to, and sometimes just even as going as far as asking people what do you want from me? Right? How can I help you? What is the value that I can add to your business? So I would say the first three steps. The first thing is what solution are you bringing to the table. Because that is one to determine how far your business can go. The second thing is who is your audience? Why are these people even following you. You may want to start a boutique, but they may follow you for an entire different reason. They might not even think that fashion is a thing for you, right, so you have to take the time to know why these people following me. And then last when I at least make sure that you are actually interviewing your audience, asking them what do you want who they are taking a look at the photos. These are just some of the things that I tell people when they're trying to figure out a lot of people they have been followings, but they don't understand why their audience is not shopping from them. I had people who had beautiful hair, but they're selling clothes, and the clothes aren't selling well. Actually, the people are following you because it's big, curly hair that you have, So you probably should have launched a hair product instead, but you wanted to personally do a boutique. So it's really about taking the time to get to know your audience. I also always tell people that come to me to really take the time to connect and develop the relationship with their audience, so you can kind of figure out why they're even connecting with you overall. So are you spending time going live with your audience, are you responding to the comments that they're putting on your pages? Are you taking the time to see the pictures that they're engaging with the things that are being shared. This will help you find your niche and really help you figure out what it is that you need to launch and what people want from you overall.
Speaker 5: So if you're I love analytics.
Speaker 3: So when you started, what were the top three analytical measurements that you you when you were about to pitch the product?
Speaker 6: So for me, one of the ways that I eat I still use this to this day. I look at the product, I look at the pictures on my page, I go to the analytics, and I look at what pictures are getting the most engagement. For me, it is my selfies. It is of course me educating when I'm giving away tools as far as entrepreneurship and ways to grow grow their businesses, ways to make money. Those are the things that I look at. So I know that people follow me for a few things. They follow me for fashion, they follow me for business, education, and then they also follow me for self care types of things. So when I study my analytics, I can see that, Okay, this picture here where I'm doing a facial, it got about seventy five thousand or one hundred thousand impressions. Okay, this is what they want to see more of. Or if I post a picture of my kids, people want to see your family. Sometimes they don't always want to be sold, sold, sold, sold, So I want to connect with you on a more intimate level. You know, you have to think about it. You look at some of your favorite celebrities. Do you want to sit there and see themselves stuff to you all day? Or do you want to see what they're doing behind the scenes, what their everyday life looks like? Right? Do you want to see them with their children and their family just goofing all dancing? Heaven it?
Speaker 5: Erners? What's up?
Speaker 3: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the re seats are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there that help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on.
Speaker 5: What matters most ready.
Speaker 3: To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen six is a service mark of the P and C Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member a FDIC.
Speaker 7: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump America's laws, border and families will.
Speaker 5: Be protected sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 6: Time sometimes people want to see that intimate time with you, and they want to see that they want to have that intimate connection with you before they actually voute your staff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a big believer in that. As far as social media, I spent a lot of time on social media learning social media. Like when I say a lot of time, like years, like twelve hours a day, Yeah, every day for like four years. So first of all, I want to I don't want people to get discouraged if they don't have.
Speaker 4: A lot of followers.
Speaker 2: Because I have five hundred five I think I have like one hundred and thirteen on my personal page and your Legion has two hundred and.
Speaker 5: How much two hundred and forty three thousand.
Speaker 2: So we start I have five hundred followers when I started this whole thing on my personal page and earn your Legion had no follow We had one two followers at the first day, I wasn't one. He wasn't even following the page after to the second day. So that's the first thing. I don't want people to get discouraged by the amount of followers you have, because my personal belief is that if you provide good content, it'll happen over the course of time. We have a whole podcast about how to build a social media follow and if you want to check that out episode twenty four. But another thing is I'm glad you said. As far as selling, I think a lot of times people are too pushy and it comes off and it's like you just get on social media and the first thing you do is you're selling something, and it's like NonStop, and it's so obvious that the only reason you're on here is to sell. It's like, I personally think people don't mind buying as long as they don't feel like they're trying to be scammed or you're just pushing it down their throat. Like I'm a big believer in the soft cell. So even for me, a lot of times I learned, like even flyers promoting things like flyers, it gets courting the algorithm and they don't nobody actually even sees the flyer. So a lot of times we'll do as far as the social media campaigns that we run, if we're trying to promote an event or if we're trying to promote something, we'll do a soft sale with as far as we'll we'll promote it in the caption, like I'll post something that I know is going to get a lot of views or a lot of likes, and it's going to reach a large amount of people, and then in the caption it'll be like we're headed to DC this weekend. If you're interested, the link in our bio, da da da or twenty percent off of this situation or whatever. So I know, at the very least everybody might not read the caption, but more people will read the caption than if I just put a flyer up.
Speaker 5: Andy put like seventy people liked it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, zero engagement. Yeah I think, yeah, nobody flyers get engagement.
Speaker 5: And I did.
Speaker 3: I did the math on it because I was just like I was interested, Like I said, I love doing the analytics. It literally on earlier Le's page, it was like a seventh of a percent of the people actually saw it.
Speaker 5: So I was like, let me just see, I'll do that calculation. I went to.
Speaker 3: Shotty's page, it was literally the same thing of a percent get to actually see the flyers.
Speaker 5: So that was like, let me check on mine. It was the same exact thing.
Speaker 3: So think about that, you have two hundred and forty three thousand fowers, less than one percent of the people will find you are actually going to see that.
Speaker 2: Well, they do that on purpose because Instagram has an algorithm. If anybody's not familiar with that's what I keep referring to. So the algorithm spits out to see It's designed so that people see the posts that they like the most. So if you post something that's kind of different from what you usually post, it's not gonna get a lot of traction. Instagram Also they can tell if something is a flyer or not. The reason why they limit that flyer is because they know you're promoting something.
Speaker 4: So that's what they want to exactly. That's what they have ads for.
Speaker 2: So why are they gonna give you free promotion for something that you're getting paid for when you can pay Instagram for ads. So that's why I'm saying, you got to be creative. That's why we use captions, or we'll do like you said, the lives. The lives are extremely powerful. Now you gotta kind of be created to work around that, because if not, you can just pay a bunch of money to Instagram might work, it might not work. That's a different conversation altogether. But yeah, so we're.
Speaker 5: Talking about the person with no marketing budget.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a gamble. It's a gamble. You know, that's a whole that's a whole nother conversation. But it's like, you're paying for clicks, you're not paying for conversions. So just because someone's clicking the ed doesn't mean that they're actually buying anything. And you're paying every single time for a click, not this person converted.
Speaker 2: Yes, And also I like what you said as well as far as like what are they following you for? Because I had a young lady who came into my office a while back and we were speaking and she's she's she's a very popular bartender, star tender, startender in the city.
Speaker 5: Oh, we'll talk about that later.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Now star tenders is like in New York City. We don't know how it is. Will COVID cut everything down, But the bartenders were more popular and the dancers, so they became so like when a Boogie made that song startenders, they became like celebrities, like the bartenders or the celebrities. So she was a bartender, startender, and she had like three million followers, but she couldn't make any money because now you got three million people. But people are only following you for lingerie pictures and things of that nature. So if you if you try to promote anything, if you try to promote something like a course or they're not gonna take it serious. Whereas somebody that might have one hundred thousand followers, which is way less followers, but they're following them for a specific reason, right like you, they're following you because it's a page to empower women about how to become entrepreneurs. Right, so now you have, of course a portal whatever. It's way more opportunity to make revenue off of a smaller amount of people than a bit. So why I say you have to say a lot of times and not to knock anybody. You gotta follow and you do whatever you want. I can't, you know, can't knock the hustle. But sometimes you just do things just to get a following. And it's like, okay, you're doing all this just to get a following. Now you got a bunch of followers, but how do you actually benefit from that?
Speaker 3: So that that kind of leads into what My next question was right because now that you had the following, now it's how do you build the community?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Like, how do you convert that into now a community? What are some steps that you had to actually convert those followers. I hate when people say that they have fans, right, like, why are they a fan of you? They're actually a community, that's what you're trying to build. What are some steps that you use?
Speaker 6: Well, the first thing that you want to do is you want to make sure that you're building a list. I tell people this all the time. Your list is the most valuable thing that you have. And if you don't know what a list is, it is you having a list of email addresses and people are actually opting in so that you do not rely on social media to connect to your audience. Your goal is to get your audience offline as fast as possible. And when I say as fast as possible, you being able to connect with them off of social media. So the first thing you want to do is you want to start building a list. And in order for you to build a list, you need to be providing some type of value, whether you're in fashion and you're teaching people how to do different fashion looks, or you're doing hair and you're teaching people how to do this style and another two minutes, or you may be doing fingernails, whatever it is that you have the expertise in, whatever that problem is that you are solving, you need to be creating content and value and getting your people to actually opt in to get that value. So the list building is most important. Right, people have followers. I see people that have millions millions of followers, I mean five hundred thousand, one million, two million, but I don't see it often anywhere on their social media. So you have over a million impressions a week. Most people that have one hundred thousand followers on more, they have about a a million impressions a week. Okay, there's no option or lead generation tool on your page at all. There's no free You're not giving anything away that's going to position you to capture their information. That's a big mistake. So the first thing that I did was create a list building to an opten, and I've constantly focused on providing value to my audience. Why everybody else is trying to sell information, I'm just giving the information away because once I give them a certain amount of information. They're going to know and trust and believe that I know what I'm talking about and that I can help them in this area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's are the top two things that's extremely important. Danis Chanel shout out to her, shout out to Prince Donelle Eyo alumni, both of them and they That's something that Danis Chel spoke about a lot on our podcast is you know her thing is apps. She was like, everybody should have an app. But even if you don't have an app, like you said, at the very least, you should be capturing emails and phone numbers because now like you have an email list that you can blast out, you don't have to rely on a social media following. So and then, like you said, one of the best ways to capture emails is free situations, a free event, a free webinar. People do it all the time, and it's not like you're deceiving people, but you're getting their information and for the value that you're providing within that free webinar or a giveaway or sweepstakes or whatever. Most of the time when you see people do sweepstakes or giveaways is because they're trying to get information. So they like email this and one person's gonna win. So if you get a thousand emails, it's worth the price of giving a gift to one person. But now you got a thousand emails at it, so now you can blast it out to a thousand people, and as it grows, you just have more people.
Speaker 5: That's something that I found astonishment.
Speaker 3: It was like, yeah, get every email, get every phone on man they had down that analyst was Socred. They were like, look, the conversion rate on emails is like five percent, but the conversion rate on somebody on the text message might be like twenty seven percent. So that's why it's important to know these things and.
Speaker 5: To collect that data. Its goal, it is literally goal.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure, I would definitely say right now. You know, emails was five years ago and you can still get emails, but right now my main focus is being able to come straight to the cell phone, so definitely go text message and having an app is great too, but you got to get them to turn on the post the notifications, and people turn notifications off. So you can have an app and then you can send those notifications out, but if they don't have those notifications on, then you're missing it. So the best thing that you can do is get the text right now, get that phone number.
Speaker 5: You actually created an app?
Speaker 6: Correct, Yeah, I do have an app as well. So that's how I know. If they turn those notifications off, then it's like marketing is all about being visible, out of sight, out of mind. If the notifications are off or you send out too many notifications a day, people will turn them off and then you disappear out of their world completely. So the best thing that you can do is add value and also have a healthy text list.
Speaker 3: There was there were two guys that once upon a time, well actually four guys at the time, to try to create an app.
Speaker 5: It failed. Miserable.
Speaker 4: That's another thing.
Speaker 5: What was that process like for you?
Speaker 6: So for me, it's been it's been crazy. I'm actually having an developed right now. So there's a there's always a language barrier there and most.
Speaker 4: Of the time they're on a different time India India.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we know something about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got burned, We got burnt, We got burnt bad in India.
Speaker 6: I got burned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's well documented, well.
Speaker 4: Cautionary tale, cautionary tale.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So you know, there's always a language barrier and there's always a time difference, so you got to stay up to about ten eleven o'clock to start those conversations. So it's really interesting. But like I said, you really have to add the value for people to want to stay around. You have to give away free game. If you are at a space and you're listening to this podcast and you still think that you need to sell every piece of information that you have, you're going to lose, and you're going to lose big. You better start adding value to people's lives quick because that's the only way you're going to get a return on your investment.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you this. The thing with the text message blast is that it's very expensive. Donelle told us what platform here you forgot, but what platform do you like? How expensive is it? Because I know it can be like really really expensive.
Speaker 6: So I shuldn't have an Aphelia link before I say their name, but I'm using our text boom right now. I think they're really cool. I'm actually in the process of trying to build my own text Blass system because that's what I've worn right now. So I look at how much money I spent with these companies and I'm like, let me build my own platform. So that's really the direction that I've been going in this year, formulating my own apps and products so that I can't use my own stuff.
Speaker 5: It's spoken like a true entrepreneur.
Speaker 4: That's a fact.
Speaker 2: A fisherman always spots another fishermen from afar, Like, I'm very familiar with the language that you're talking right now.
Speaker 4: It's right up my alley.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you this because I personally feel like Instagram ads right because not to say that, I don't want to say Instagram ads are bad. You can still run ads for people, but I think that people kind of don't really have a good idea of what they're doing with Instagram ads. Like even in our space. I think it's the financial page. I think a lot of financial pages have soured it because they're running these ads for so cheap, like twenty five dollars, Like they might have a half a million followers, and they running like twenty five dollar.
Speaker 4: Ads for people.
Speaker 2: And not only are they devaluing their page because there's so many different like it's like ten ads back to back to back, but now it's like you're lowering the value for everybody else.
Speaker 4: So we don't really even run.
Speaker 2: We don't run a lot of ads on our page because we just don't want to do it, but our price is way higher than anybody else. We do that for a reason to try to keep people away from that.
Speaker 5: If you're not serious, then you're not gonna do it.
Speaker 4: But you know, it's kind of rule with thumbs.
Speaker 2: Some people say like one thousand dollars for every one hundred thousand followers, that's that's how much you should charge. What do you think somebody should charge to run an ad on their page based off of like they're following.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I do know that right now because I work with a lot of companies that reach out to me for ads. If you are right now, social media marketing and influences are crazy. So if you're anywhere in between the one hundred to two hundred thousand following range, you can make anywhere from five to ten thousand dollars for a paid post from a company. If you are at anywhere from two hundred to five hundred thousand, you could literally the rates right now for something like that is anywhere from ten to twenty five to thirty thousand for an actual pay post with the corporate company, and anything from five hundred thousand to a million. We're talking crazy numbers right now. With influencer marketing, I've seen companies pay people that I personally know anywhere from thirty to fifty thousand dollars for pay posts.
Speaker 2: And that's something that is important and the reason why I say it not to shame any page that's charging a very low amount, but I think a lot of times we don't take ourselves serious enough so to kind of use the comparison like the NFL. Right, the NFL has one hundred million viewers for Super Bowl and for a thirty second ad, they charge five million dollars for thirty seconds. Now, you can do the math on that, divide that by the one hundred and then see how much they're actually charging per person that's watching the Super Bowl. But a lot of times it's a small business. You gotta think the same way, right, Like why not look at yourself as an NFL Obviously you don't have one hundred million people on your page. You have ten thousand, fifty one hundred thousand, So it's like you're devaluing your brand and you're devaluing the business for everybody by charging twenty five dollars or thirty dollars, and it's like a lot of times people are scared to say okay, well they might not accept it. Well, you got to figure this. If you're doing it for fifty dollars in ad, right, and you're doingndred one thousand dollars, let's say fifty dollars worth one thousand dollars right, how many fifty dollars is it going to take you to equal one thousand?
Speaker 4: Twenty? So now you got to get twenty people to say yes to fifty. It's probably easier to get one person to say yes to a thousand than it is to get twenty people to say yes to fifty, So you don't need as many people. It's less volume, and you're not flooding your pages and it's not looking like crazy with thirty seven ads every hour, and you're keeping your integrity exactly.
Speaker 3: Or you could even like I said, you could even do two for five hundred. Right, it's gonna it's gonna lower it. And like you said, the people who are serious about their business and are planning on having a marketing budget, that five hundred is gonna it's gonna be worthwhile.
Speaker 2: And people have their real lives too. It's like people's like, well, it's not costing you anything if you put no it costs a lot, because it is. It costs a lot to you have two hundred thousand followers. It's a lot of work that goes into building a following, so exactly exactly, so you can't you can't just throw that away and just say, Okay, it took me three years to build this brand, to build this page, and I'm gonna sell it for twenty five dollars.
Speaker 3: ADS lots, right, they're just doing one off, so fifty dollars, Like it makes no sense, ridiculous.
Speaker 2: And then also another thing I like about ads too, and saying I got this from val shot out to her she's one of the first people that I saw doing it. Where like, if we want to if we run a paid post on social media, it's not obvious that it's paid. It's like, I feel like you got to have some integrity and some taste to it, so like you know, it's a story, and it's saying like, you know, it's obvious that obviously you know somebody posted, but it's not like to say, okay, here it is a flyer and this person is like, you gotta come with a story. It has to make sense, it has to in line with other stuff that we usually post, so it's not like completely out of pocket at all. And I saw her do that. She had a Calvin Klein I think AD and she's a school teacher, so it's like how you mix being a school teacher with a Calvin Klin AD. But the way she did it was very tastefully done, and you didn't really even know it was an AD until you saw a hashtag AD.
Speaker 3: It's important because at that time, like she knows her brand and she knows what matches her brand. We've had some offers, it just didn't make sense for us to be doing some of the office that we're being presented with.
Speaker 5: But that's important too, knowing your brand and understanding your brand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a fact. That's a fact. And then okay, so the last thing I wanted to talk about was how do you feel about So we talked ads. We talked about building a community, but like course situation, because that's something that's extremely popular these days is.
Speaker 4: Of course course of course, So courses are huge right now. There's all kinds of courses for everything. And I'm a big fan of it because I like, I look at it like, you know, if you're gonna pay money to make mistakes like and learn on your own, why not get a course for one thousand dollars five hundred whatever. And it's pretty much you can get a course on real estate, stocks, social media marketing, all that stuff, all of the above bigger topic. But I think even the course has to be done correctly, has to be promoted correctly. But that's another revenue stream for people as well. So what's your thoughts on that.
Speaker 6: I think courses are amazing, you know, I think they're great. I think that it's really about finding the experts and people who actually have experience in the actual niche markets that they're teaching on right now. Are cool, But we also have people who haven't done anything and they're just creating these courses, So you have to be careful as well. You have people who have not had a lot of experience and they're just creating courses. So for me, I think their courses are great, but we need to make sure that people have skin in the game and that we can see the results and they can actually teach us. Right. I'm really big on intimacy. So even for me, when I have programs and things in place that I'm offering to my audience, I'm really big on intimacy and people being able to actually talk to me and connect with me and touch me. They need to feel that when working with me. So I think for me, that's at the top of my list. Courses are cool, but the value needs to be there and the intimacy needs to be there if the price.
Speaker 2: And I always tell people all the time, entrepreneurs never be ashamed to make money, Like I think a lot of times people, especially when it comes to education, people are kind of weirded out a little bit, like I don't want to charge for this, Like I mean, if you're putting together something that's going to take your time and it's something that you have information and you can benefit people and it's done tastefully, I mean, it's like why not.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 2: I think the biggest thing is, like even with like online subscription, is that my thing is that you have to give ten times more value than what you're charging. That's just like how I no matter what it is. So it's like even for our thing. Eyl University is an online platform that has like over seventy courses, weekly webinars, a private realistic Facebook group, all that stuff, and we're running a code now where it's like you can get it for one hundred and ninety nine dollars for the entire year. So it's like we haven't had one complaint yet where somebody says that they got.
Speaker 4: Nah, yeah it's that price. That price is going up.
Speaker 2: That price is going but yeah, so it's like, you know, it's like you can't say you didn't get your money's worth.
Speaker 4: It's that literally is impossible.
Speaker 2: So you know, I just think that I just I wanted to say that because I don't want to discourage entrepreneurs from having courses, having online subscription services.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 2: I think it's great, but just make sure you're doing it for the right reason and you're adding value. Don't like a lot of time, like you said, people not even experts in their field, and they're having these courses or they're having these programs and it's like.
Speaker 4: You you just started last week.
Speaker 5: What's the proof what you say?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't even want to see the bank account because it's like I just feel like experience was like you like you have to kind of or network with professionals. Right, it's like, so you know that's another way to make money online, right in full transparency. I mean it's obvious, but it's it's It could be very lucrative, but you just have to make sure that it's done tastefully and you're adding value. Money is always gonna come on the back end as long as you put value first.
Speaker 3: Can we can we can we talk about your platform little bit, Girls ceo, Inc. Because I love I love it, man, how to turn your side hust onto a serious cash flow. It's a solution for women who lack of blueprint for success. And one of the best things I heard from you speaking it was like it's empowerment over fear because a lot of times when we want to get into things, we struggle and we've been shamed into struggle. And I know you talk about sharing your shame is one of the things. Can you talk about girl CEO and what it's all about?
Speaker 6: Yes? So, girl ceo is a platform and it's literally the playground for female entrepreneurs. We are a no fluff zones, so we equipped we don't empower, we equip I'm so kind of over the empowerment word. I'm really big on equipping and educating. We really just get to the meat and potatoes and business. So we're really big on real resources, real tools, and real information to help women scale their businesses. We connect with our members daily inside of our community. We do a live masterclass inside of our community for our actual members, and we bring experts in as well to educate them and give them tools and resources to help them grow and scale their businesses. So we like information. We don't like motivation. We tell people all the time. You can get motivation on YouTube. You can get quote grams on YouTube. You don't need any more quote grams posting inside the community. We need tools, we need resources. We want to know the software that you're using. We want to know about your funnel, we want to know about that pixel, we want to know about retargeting ads. We want to know the real game. So that is what we strive to put in front of our members.
Speaker 4: Every single day for sure.
Speaker 2: So all right, so that in the last segment, we're going to bring it home and yeah, just add a little bit more value and put some more spice on it. So all right, So in the last segment, we're going to bring it home. But I just had one question before first. So I know you said side hustle to cash flow. That's one of the things I saw on your page. So how what does that mean as far as side hustle to cash flow Because a lot of people are trying to become entrepreneurs today, especially with coronavirus, A lot of people have lost their jobs and they might have different talents, whether it's doing here or whether it's you know, designing clothes whatever, So what's what's how do you how do we turn a side hustle into a cash flow opportunity.
Speaker 6: I think that the side hustle turns into actual cash flow and consistent revenue when we have systems in place. Initially, when we are just hustling, we are doing whatever we can do to make a dollar. But when we actually sit down and we have systems in place with our businesses and we understand what people want, we understand who our audience is. We have our email lists, we have our graphic design, we have our post schedule setup. We know because we study our analytics. That's when things go from side hustle to an actual functioning business. Right when you can literally predict what the profits are going to be because you study the analytics, and I think that's when you transition out of side hustle mode. The side hustle is just like I'm trying to get a dollar as fast as I can. I'm doing everything by myself. I remember being that person, Like it's like you go to McDonald's. McDonald's is not taking the order, dropping the fries, cleaning the bathroom and doing a million things restocking the catch up. One person isn't doing that. So I think that we transition into major cash flow when we understand our business, when it's my thought clearly, when we can make predictions based on our actual analytics and we know, okay, the last two years we've made this amount of money. Right, Sometimes we make predictions based on when we just launch, but what is the income want to look for that business three to four years down the line? Right? Do you have systems in place? Do you have tools in place? Do you have your email list, do you have your your person that's going to run your ads? Do you have your graphic designer. I believe that we transition out of side hustle when we have systems, services, software and place, when we have a team, when we have our post schedule, we have things actually set up the right way. Even as far as the legal entities behind our businesses. You know, I have so many people that think that if we just set up an Instagram account, we're a business. We have an Instagram name, I own that name, whatever that page is, that's what we own. So for me, going from side hustle mentality, that's when mentally you're not all the way there, right. I remember when I was in side hustle mode. When I was inside hustle mode, I was in a desperate place. I was in a desperate place. I just needed to make money to survive. But when I was all in and I created a business, it wasn't just about making the dollar quick. It was about making sure that I'm building and creating something that can last ten to twenty years from now. Building a legacy B business versus this how hustle business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's powerful, that's extremely powerful. And working from home. I want it because, like I said, I mean, we have a large women listenership and we want to some topics are more relevant than others for women. But one of the things you said early on was like spending time with your children and for everybody, men and women, but a lot of time women struggle with that as far as you know, not being able to spend that stops I think a lot of women from becoming entrepreneurs. So one of the great things now is that you can start a business and you're working at home. So what are some of the benefits, perks, challenges being a full time mother, being a full time entrepreneur working from home, because that's a that's a whole different conversation as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, right now we're in the middle of COVID nineteen. Who knows, I don't know if you guys are Airn's during this time or not, but right now we're in the middle of COVID nineteen and I'm a mom, so I have three children that are in school right now. So doing the digital online learning has been new for me. And my company solely pays my bills, right so I have to juggle. It's been hard. And as much as I want to be one of those people, you know, we see every these women that go a lot and like, yeah, I have this perfect schedule, I have it all back down, Dinner is made at this time, Brunch is done at this time, I'm doing my exercise at this time. I don't. I don't.
Speaker 5: Most of us don't.
Speaker 6: I don't, and it's hard. It's hard, but I'm just thankful. I think one of the purses my daughter. I was actually working with a client before I did this webinar, and she was holding the camera and she walked in while I was actually helpful one of my clients, and she said, this is my working mom, you guys, And she said, say turn around. I'm gonna turn the camera around and I want you guys to say how to her. But she addressed me as her working mom. And I think one of the perks even in that moment, I was just I felt so proud to be her mom that she acknowledged me in that way, because I'm now showing her that women can work hard, women can have that financial stability and that there's balance there. You know, when I was growing up, I was in school when my mom was working. I was in school when my dad was working. There wasn't anyone there to show me how to run a business. No one ever talked to me about entrepreneurship. My family always encouraged me to go and work for someone else. So to be able to have my children here. It's changed the mindset of my kids because my kids want to be entrepreneurs now. So I'm showing them versus telling them. And I believe that people listen more when you show them versus when you just tell them what they should do. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So like you said that they're becoming entrepreneurs, that they have any businesses that they've started or they're interested in right now.
Speaker 6: Well, my daughter you can probably hear a screaming through the door right now. She wants to be an actor, so she's always acting. She has her own line within my company. And my seventeen year old daughter, she's actually in high school. And why she's in high school, she's getting her cosmetology license, so she's actually doing hair on the side right now. So, yes, my children are definitely they're side of hustlers.
Speaker 5: That's beautiful. Beautiful.
Speaker 3: I know you that you have a fashion line as well, right, you have some stuff in fashion as well.
Speaker 6: No, so we have Girls Ceo Look of the Weeks and we just do different looks, but we mostly have merchandise that empower women that say like girl ceo on it or things motivational merchandise for the women who are in our community and outside of the community who are starting their journeys as well.
Speaker 2: So what is it like as far as social media? I know Instagram has been like your main focus, It's been our main focus as well, but there's a lot of stuff even with TikTok now, Facebook, Twitter. Would you suggest that people would focus their energy on one particular platform growing on social media following or should they diversify and kind of spread themselves across all all areas.
Speaker 6: I would say start with one or two. I would say definitely start with one or two. You're going to have to diversify because things are changing, for sure, But I would definitely say start with one or two. Don't overextend yourself trying to be on every single platform. But I would definitely say, fine, two that are working for you, some don't work, you know, some may work for some people and then others don't work for others. So I say, focus on what's working for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree, I agree.
Speaker 2: I mean, like I said, I understand Instagram like the back of my hand.
Speaker 4: I go on Twitter. I don't even know.
Speaker 2: How to use it properly, Like I just learned how to a thread tweet together yesterday actually, so you know, but I mean the more people you can reach, the better. So I would definitely say, you know, it's a good idea to be on those platforms, but you know, figure out how to master one, then you can master the other ones and then kind of like you know, figure it out from there. So I want to talk about before we before we wrap it up, you have a six week program to help women. Is it just women or.
Speaker 6: So I have men and women that actually take my course.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you have a six week course where you help entrepreneurs master online business and social media and things that nature. Can you talk about that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So my course is called the Success Free Requit and it is a six week course help people build their brands online. The main focus is really helping people find their voice and be more authentic themmselves and really understanding how to use the internet when doing it. We focus on everything from storytelling, brand storytelling, lead generation, automating business, being able to set your business up in a way where you can actually attract feeds and generate traffic in your sleep. And then we also teach influencer marketing as well.
Speaker 3: Dope, no, you have from mopping floors to making millions on Instagram.
Speaker 5: You're in an established author. We go need more books coming down the line.
Speaker 6: I'm working on a book right now. Actually, my next book is going to talk about transitioning from corporate America into full time entrepreneurship.
Speaker 2: Dope and the course we have the link in the bio if you're listening to this on Apple, Spotify or YouTube. And just for our community, EYL community, you gave a special deal. You gave one hundred dollars off of the package and that's exclusive, that's only for EYL community. And I mean the program is dope. I actually look through it and you know that six week program is powerful and it's like especially to be able to monetize your platform on social media. You don't have to have a large social media following to make money. You can make money with a couple thousand followers. You can make I saw a personally MG or mortgage guy sell out an event and make over thirty thousand dollars with five thousand followers. At the time was early early on. I said, wait, what's going on? Yeah, five thousand followers. So social media marketing and just growing online is extremely extremely valuable, so once again we appreciate that. So the link, the link will be in the bio of this video if you're watching it on YouTube, it will also be in the link of the description of Apple and the description of Spotify. And once again that's one hundred dollars off exclusively for EYL community. It will also be on our website on the ey L Alumni tab. So if you're interested, definitely check that out. That's a game, that's the game changes. So, yeah, appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Anything that you want to make the public aware of, how can they contact you, social media handles, website, anything like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so everyone can come and check me out on Instagram, my Instagram and Brown are r Nne Brown on Instagram and I Company Girl CEO is Girls Ceo I n C. You can also check out the girl CEO community as well at join girls ceo dot com and we give everyone free for thirty days. That's how confident we are in the actual content. You can watch as may as the masterclasses as you want and cancel whenever you please.
Speaker 4: Dope don Troy housekeeping it one.
Speaker 3: Shout out to everybody on patriot dot com. That is our Proud to Pay program. It is growing at a rapid pace. We appreciate everybody on there.
Speaker 5: You know, if you join, there are five different tiers to come in and be a part of this.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: Tier four and.
Speaker 3: Five obviously gives you access to ey L University Online School, which has over seventy webinars, book Club, Private real Estate, Facebook group. It's a it's a really it's a really amazing community. I only want to call it anything else but that it's a community people have shared experiences and shared resources. So thank you everybody that has joined there and everybody that's been personing the merch on on your leisure dot com.
Speaker 2: We appreciate your suppers. Continue doing that. Yeah, and shout out to the whole DMV. We got a lot of love and support there. Shout out to PG. Shout yes a fact, shout to PG County, shout to Montgomery County, shout out to Baltimore, and shout out to DC. Some of our best guests and some of our most prestigious alumni have come from the DC DMV area.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, so shout out to that and once again, thank you for joining us. Appreciate it. We will see you guys next week Peace Peace.
Speaker 7: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christine Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded. One one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 5: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,