Speaker 1: Film Spotting is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. See any standard two D movie anytime with no blackoutdates or restrictions. Sign up now on the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive fifteen percent off.
Speaker 2: Its very difficult to keep the line between the past.
Speaker 3: And the press. You believe that someone out of the past can.
Speaker 2: Enter and take possession of a living be We.
Speaker 4: May be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to the Next Picture Show, a movie of the Week podcast devoted to a classic film and the way its shaped our thoughts on a recent release. I'm Tasha Robinson here again.
Speaker 2: With Keith Hips, Scott Tobias.
Speaker 6: And Genevieve Koski.
Speaker 5: In our last episode, we discussed Oh Brother, Where Art thou Joel Nathan Cohen's riff on Homer's epic poem The Odyssey. In their version, a fast talking reprobate and his two companions try to make their way home across the American South in nineteen thirty seven, pursued by a dogged sheriff and encountering colorful characters who might be just a little mystical but are more likely a whole lot of Kohenesque flim flammers and opportunists. Christopher Nolans The Odyssey comes at Homer's epic from a much more literal vantage point. It includes Homer's gods and monsters, along with overt magic in its mayhem. As the king of Ithaca, Odysseus played by Matt Damon, spends long years trying to make his way home from the Trojan War after angering the god Poseidon. It's a series of battles and fraught encounters, including a grueling trip to Hell to speak with an oracle who the o brother Boys get to speak with for free in the early moments of their movie. And even once Odysseus does get home, he has to deal with the mob of powerful, conniving suitors who are demanding to marry his wife, Penelope played by Anne Hathaway, and push odysseus son Telemachus played by Tom Holland out of line for the throne. Stay with us, Tell.
Speaker 3: Me what you remember A wife, A son? No, No, we wanted more. Help me go home. This is a household waiting for master. I want you to choose me.
Speaker 7: I think it's King is coming back.
Speaker 3: No, he's not.
Speaker 6: What would you do if he came back here to find all these suitors in his house.
Speaker 3: They're pineying your very daddy you didn't even know, like some sniffling bastard who looking after your wife and son?
Speaker 2: Do you see?
Speaker 3: My dad is coming home? Rand Cuts bringing it all.
Speaker 5: So the odyssey. I was joking just before we started recording, I wish there was something to talk about with this movie. I don't even know where to start. I guess, just baseline, what did you think?
Speaker 7: I came in this film with pretty high expectations and I can safely say that succeeded all of them, you know, as a spectacle. It certainly something I'll be thinking out for a long time. But just thematically and dramatically, the way it explores its themes via these really well realized characters. I don't know. I think I was pretty much blown away by it. I'm I walked away a huge fan.
Speaker 6: Yeah you're not alone. I really loved this film, and I am not a dieharden Olan fan. A lot of times his films leave me kind of cold and this definitely did not. This gave me kind of everything I was wanting out of Oppenheimer, which, sorry, guys, I actually did not like Oppenheimer that much. I know, I know, but because it just didn't connect with me emotionally the way this did. Like the last third of this movie, or just when Odysseus returns to Ithaca and the conversation he has with Penelope where he sort of relives the sack of Troy and you know, his role in it, and sort of the ideas about civilization and humanity and the kind of breakdown of the social order, it all just hit me right in the gun. And it does feel very like along the same lines of like what Nolan had on his mind with Oppenheimer is there feels like a very direct line from that film to this one. But this one just hit me so much harder on both a spectacle level and an emotional level. On a performance level, I really loved Matt Damon here, which is like, you know, is not I don't know that I've ever said like I love Matt Damon because he's just like kind of like a dependable He's Matt Damon. You know, he does what he does, but he's like, but what he does is so right here, and I just like he carried this film in a way that I just loved watching some incredible action set pieces. Again, the sack of Troy, Like when we saw it happening the first time, I was just on the edge of my seat the whole time. There's a bunch of other sequences. I'm sure we can get into, but I really don't have. You know, at this point of a few hours afresh off of seeing it, I don't have a lot of complaints about this movie, except for the people next to me who I had to shush when they were making great comments about Elliott Page but.
Speaker 2: No great casting too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was during that scene, like an amazing, amazing scene, and they were just talking over it and misgendering him and.
Speaker 5: In Tartarus or the first one in Tartarus. Yes, I mean, it's not very often you get to see people in person that have no souls and see what that looks like. It's a rare privilege, I suppose. Yeah. I went in with very temperate expectations because I also do not always love Nolan. I think with a tenant in particular, that kind of gets way too far into his own head and ended up producing something that doesn't necessarily work either as narrative or as an emotional story. And there are other films of his that I like, fine, it's just that they've been hailed as like acts of revelatory genius, and I've never connected on that level. I mean, he did do one of my favorite films of all time, The Prestige, but I'm still on some level waiting for another Prestige out of him. Came close for me. It definitely helps that I went in again pretty tempered expectations, not just because of the Nolan of it all, but because the kind of the sinophile society's expectations seem to be so through the roof over this. The anticipation has been so high, and I didn't want to fall for that hype. But this is a pretty complicated story. It's once again Nolan playing around with time and linearity and it can cause and effect and how you get the story and in what order kind of I think brilliantly starting with a point where a poet a performer is like declaiming the story of how Odysseus came up with the idea that ended the Trojan war that enabled the sack of Troy, and that story has made it home before he did, long long before he did in his own halls in Ithaca. The poets are like telling the tale of this magnificent hero, but the magnificent hero himself is nowhere to be seen. Nobody knows what his fate is. And that contrast I think between he's already passed into legend and he might still be here among us, but we don't know. I think is really interesting thematically and just leads into a lot of different thematic things that this movie is doing. I think it's beautiful as spectacle. It's you know, heartwarming and heartbreaking, it's exciting, it's really well performed. I enjoyed this movie a lot. I gotta say, well.
Speaker 2: Not to be the web none. I can't be a wet blanket here. I thought.
Speaker 4: I thought I'd come in and just say what are you people talking about? But that's not going to be me either. I mean, you know, I'm a fan of Nolan's and have been since Memento, which I saw, which I saw at Toronto, and the year two thousand and Scott.
Speaker 7: Reel had have to say, I've been a fan since following I have been.
Speaker 4: You think, not that many real heads out there, but and so obviously my expectations were quite high, and I think, I think that he keeps taking on projects of greater ambition. It almost feels like a powerlifter adding reps, you know, I mean, you know, it's like it's like you go from Dunkirk to Oppenheimer and now this, and it just seems like each one is just more gargantuan and improbable and achievement than the last. But he at this point he can handle it with with you know, a dexterity that is near impossible that you can't you can't even think of too many contemporary filmmakers who could even try.
Speaker 2: To do something like The Odyssey.
Speaker 4: But I also think that it's a film of great ideas and and weight and and real personality. I mean, like this is a film you know that the time theme is is obviously important to this movie, and it's important to Nolan. You know, you have the connection, of course to Oppenheimer in having this this hero who has to make decisions on behalf of many people and and have to has to live with the weight of those decisions, has to live with mistakes or incorrect decisions that have horrible losses, and so the weight of that really hits you so hard in this movie. And time itself, of course has a weight I think about like one of my other favorite movies, intert of Nolan's Interstellar and and and my favorite part of that movie is all of the stuff on the planet in which time passes in the real world or on Earth a long time. So any minute you spend on this planet is going to be very costly to a mission that is already full of urgency because it's about, you know, saving the Earth, and it's so heartbreaking and so wrenching for that reason. And this movie has that feel to it of just like, you know, the amount of time that it has passed, how much has been lost, you know, the weight of everything is just so immense in this film. And and uh, and it's good to see, you know, a film of the scale feel personal and feel very much like a Christopher Nolan movie.
Speaker 2: And in you know, something.
Speaker 4: You can kind of talk about in relation to other things that he's done, because I think the Odyssey as a project, it almost seems too imposing for any you know, personality to attach itself to it, and.
Speaker 6: He goes beyond the Odyssey. He like being brings in Iliad too, talk about adding reps.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the Trojan Horse. And then, not to get too panatic, the Trojan Horse actually isn't in the Iliad after the timeline of the Iliad. But but the way that that when I first heard the Trojan Horse is going to be and I was like, well, they just throwing that in because it's a crowd pleaser. Everyone loves the Trojan Horse. But like the way it is used symbolically in this film without I don't want to give too much away, but just like the way, you know, from the first from the first scene to the last, it's such an important object and its meaning is so significant and changes over the course of the of the film. You know, I can't imagine, you know, this version of the Odyssey at least without the Trojan Wars in it.
Speaker 5: It's also just kind of an opportunity to, you know, take a part of the legend that I think everybody knows and give you a new perspective on it in terms of addressing kind of the practicalities of what it would be like to be in the Trojan Horse.
Speaker 4: Well, let me ask you this, when you think about the Trojan Horse. Every time we think about tuge horse or I think it's got wheels on it, just pushing it in there, you know what I mean. And I think that, like I think the fact that this you know, again I use the word weight. I mean, you know, I mean just the profound labor of a dragon, this damn thing you know from the beach behind the walls. I mean, that's you know, kind of is typical of this movie, in which everything feels like it's heavy and difficult and in a labor and something that takes a really, really long time.
Speaker 2: I love that symbolically for the movie.
Speaker 5: Also, you know, just dealing with like how did they go to the bathroom in the in the Trojan Horse. You know, it's this is a movie about about blood and sweat and mud and feces and.
Speaker 2: Holding it in a movie about holding it in.
Speaker 5: It's just it's it's a It's a movie that really focuses on the physicality of being human and kind of the terror of encountering things that are not human and don't have that physicality, and just a lot of these different set pieces. I'm particularly thinking about the sequence with with Circe, there's an an emphasis on bodies. I think that that takes this beyond sort of the usual exploration of of myth. I also pictured the Trojan horse on wheels, and I picture it as on all fours and thus a shape that would be a lot easier for a bunch of soldiers to pack into. Picture it made out of wood rather than metal, so a lot of easier to move around and picture it just you know, wheeled up to the gates of Troy. That's sort of the cartoony image you always see when people are portraying it is, you know, we hey, we got you a horse. We're going to wheel it up to the gates of the city, say thank you for the war, and here's a present for you, and then go away. As opposed to you know, where they find it, how they find it, what they do with it. It's all just like a fascinating take. And I guess what it comes down to is this is a movie full of decisions. You know, this is a movie that is not drawing easily or comfortably on other people's like ideas of what this myth are, and kind of to a fault, Nolan has taken a really shocking amount of flak for the costumed choices, for decor choices, production design, individual casting, costuming, language, the accents of the I like, it just seems like every day there's a new story that's Christopher Nolan defends the blank in the Odyssey or explains the choice to blank in the Odyssey, and it's like, who are all of these like Greek literature fans that are that are so damn mad about the details of the armor in this adaptation. But you know, it's it's just maybe.
Speaker 6: Just historical record, like acting like and then I appreciate.
Speaker 7: I think it announces that it's going to be tailored for you know, it's going to be sort of a not period specific when the moment it starts using the words dad and mom, Okay, yeah, this this is this is you know, contemporary language. Let's let's go with that. That's that's fine. Before we move on too quickly, Tasha, if you want to picture the Trojan horse with like a little fold out pouch, you should google the popcorn bucket very.
Speaker 5: You know, having having got the details from the movie of what it must have been like inside that horse and also from a C. S. Lewis tried to write a novel about the Sack of Troy, and the part that he finished is just what it was like to be inside the Trojan Horse, and it's much much like this movie. It's fascinating. I really really wish that he had finished that book, but he wasn't sure where to go with it. All that in mind, I don't think I would want to put food into a Trojan Horse and eat out of it at this point. Too many bad associations, so to speaking of associations here, like this is a story that is told via association, kind of one thing leading to another, jumping back and forth in time. You know, somebody telling a story, segueing to what the story was, like somebody re experiencing a memory, taking us to that memory and seeing what the experience was for the first time. It's a very nonlinear film. Was there anything in that that I don't know? Do you up or that you wanted more of at a different time? Like do you think this was the only order to tell the story in? How did you? How did you take the nonlinearity aspect of it? The biggest nolanism.
Speaker 7: Can I give you an example that I think, really, really works.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, it's.
Speaker 7: When Solemicus is visiting in Alais and Sparta and they do that that amazing build up to opening the gates of Troy and the soldiers rush in, and then he just goes, well, you know the rest of the story, which actually got a laugh for me at the moment, And then when they actually come back and show you the rest of the story, it's like, oh, this is why he's not telling us. He's alighting over what actually happens once those gates are open, for reasons, you know, maybe you know, I think several different ways you could read why he's he's withholding those details, but it's really effective to split up that sequence across not quite too opposite to the three hour movie, but fairly far far apart from one another.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't say that it doesn't work for me, and I certainly don't have an idea of, you know, how Nolan could have done it better, and I would never dare say as much. But maybe it was because it's so long before we actually get to Odysseus on Calypso's Island, that the length of time he had been there, the length of time that had just been like wasted away there didn't really translate. Maybe because we were jumping around so much. It felt like something we just really had to be told, you know, through dialogue. And that's probably, like I said, the best way to do that. I don't have a better way to do that. But because of how much we are jumping around, both in time and setting, like when we are supposed to feel like we have been in a place where our character has been in a place for a really long time, it's maybe a little harder to bring that across. Or the men on the beach waiting to sack Troy, you know, they're there for years, you know. And again, it's just something we have to be told. And it's not like I want to spend an hour on the like on that beach. But I think maybe sort of an artifact of this approach of jumping around so much is that you lose a little bit of that sense of languishing in some of these places, Like.
Speaker 2: I said, when that moment hits though, it hits so hard.
Speaker 4: Though I guess to defend the film a little bit, I think I think it gives you the impact that you that you know, and this is maybe a credit to you know, the scene itself when when when he when he's told and comes to realize how much time has passed, you know, you know, the performances. I think that's a really strong moment for met Damon. I feel like the impact of that time lost, you know, and that realization, that revelation is it has that kind of kick that you want it to have, so get it gets there, I guess.
Speaker 2: And as far as the other, you know, chronology, I think I think it's a it's.
Speaker 4: A film that where the structure of it and the chronology of it is all about like where can we place these these scenes in these flashbacks? Where where's the most effective spot for this stuff to land?
Speaker 2: You know? And uh and I think in that sense of poet is wildly effective.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I certainly agree that there's a feeling of Nolan kind of I really wonder what the process was like, like how many iterations the script went through in terms of figuring out that balance in terms of where things should go. But as it is, you know, we we have to space out some of the combat, so you know, there isn't one gigantic set piece like that, and then just a whole lot of talking, you know, even if it is talking to two shades and Tartarus. But regardless, I feel like the time signatures here are maybe one of the most obvious nolanisms of the movie. But I'm curious what else you see, as you know, signs that this is a Nolan movie, or thoughts on how this fits into Nolan's interests and kind of the direction his film career has been going. So we're going to take a short break and then we're going to come back with that.
Speaker 3: Why can't God speak in ways we understand?
Speaker 5: Who doesn't understand?
Speaker 3: Thunder fire?
Speaker 5: A child, smile, good harvest?
Speaker 3: Can you hide yourselves from us?
Speaker 8: Look?
Speaker 3: What's moving that cloud?
Speaker 5: Massing those birds? What's moving the water? So what do you think? I mean, reading interviews with him, he just kind of talks about how he needed something epic to follow up the scope of Oppenheimer, And I mean that almost seems like a pun. It seems like sort of a light thing that you throw at the media, to the media to cover up like why this is an obsession? But how have you parsed kind of the odyssey fitting into what Christopher Nolan cares about or the way Christopher Nolan tells stories I mattion this a.
Speaker 4: Little bit earlier, but it feels natural as a follow up to Oppenheimer, just in terms of these leaders having to make decisions that are going to cost the lives of many people, that are going to weigh heavily on their consciences, that are going to oftentimes be decisions that are going to be a decision between a bad outcome in a worse outcome, and where all of that ends up leaving you and leaving your soul at the end of the line. And so I think I think, you know, the two films, those two films kind of match up quite nicely. And then the other stuff just has to do with you know that though those kind of old Nolan themes we talked about to time being the most significant one. I guess it's weird that he and Richard link Ladd are two of those, those two of their you know, you don't necessarily think of them as as similar filmmakers, but they just keep coming back to that theater. They just love to explore time and and and uh, you know the impact that it has on people's uh, you know, souls basically.
Speaker 2: Uh, and you know, this is a film that really, you know, effectively, you know, it makes you kind of feel that way.
Speaker 7: I'm using this term somewhat reluctantly, and I certainly not the first person to draw comparison between Oppenheimer and this film, even on this podcast, But the sack of Troy seeing the ladder, the later version of the more drawn out version of being a little vague here if for people who have not seen the movie, Cannes Apheimer in a way. But they're most really apocalyptic, I mean just really just scenes of devastation. But also, you know, I think they're both scenes that kind of make you want to question, to humans had to conduct ourselves this way in the world? Is there really no other path forward than just having civilizations clash and have violence and death and might be what the ultimate determinant of what shapes the direction of the world. Where he's really dealing with very big themes here, But as Scott Scott's review for the Reveal, it's really good pointing out using also working on a very small scale, it's a very human drama at the same time. So and I guess maybe that's another connection too, is that it is there is sort of like, yeah, I think there is sort of an abiding interest in how these very big things play out in the lives of just one or two people.
Speaker 4: In a way you know, you talk about we talk about to the intimacy of scale. When you then get to the end of the the film and you'r and Odysseas is finally you know, has that really wonderful scene with his wife. I was it round me so much of the movie Sancho the Bailiff, which is which is another film where about a very long, tragic journey where family members are separated seemingly forever and find each other, you know, and and there's been so much loss and so much to kind of cry about, really, but it's also you know, it's just this incredibly transcendent moment as well, and it felt it felt so connected to that movie for me. So and certainly that's a small moment in a you know, in a sweeping epic, historical, historic tale.
Speaker 6: To return to what Keith was pointing about about the humanistic aspect of this being very Nolan esque. I don't know if any of you got to read Bilga Abiri's behind the scenes making of Piece of the Odyssey on Vulture. If you haven't, I highly recommend it. It's he got so much good stuff. One tiny thing that it points out that I never thought about is before this Nolan has never made a film to depict the supern natural. And you can take that in the context of you know, the monsters, the cyclops, the giants, whatnot. But also I think it's interesting to think about in how this film depicts or doesn't the gods. You know, we only really get FaceTime with one of the gods, Athena, and I won't spoil what it does with that character, but it does add some I guess, ambiguity to how you read her control over this narrative. And you know, the Odyssey is kind of famously a battle between gods, you know, Poseidon and Athena, and they are much more active in the narrative. And this movie, like it talks about the gods all the time, like they're being referenced constantly, but it always comes back to man's understanding of gods and it there I think there is a reading of this film where the gods don't even exist, you know, or it's it's faith, you know. And it's really interesting the way that Nolan layers in those different interpretations of what's happening, and it all does kind of center on the idea of this as a story about humans and what humans do to each other and what civilizations do to each other and to themselves. And I don't even have my mind wrapped fully around it yet because I'm a few hours off of seeing this film, but it's definitely something that I felt only he could tell this story this way.
Speaker 5: I was surprised at the use of what I mean there is there's definitely magic in this uh. In this movie, there's definitely the supernatural. Even if the gods are conceptual, the magic that turns men into pigs and then brings them back again is real. And you know, if you take elements like the psyclops and Skillo, which is such a very Christopher Nolan esque abstractness of a monster. I was a little shocked to see on screen, just because a really hard avoided trailers for this movie. I wanted to watch it on its own merits. I didn't want anything spoiled beforehand, so I didn't know what to expect, And there was a moment where I was like, you know, based on how he's handling the gods and the relationship with people, is there going to be nothing in this that couldn't be explained in real life. And the Psychops shows up on screen, I'm like, Okay, nope, we're definitely in the realm of myths and monsters here.
Speaker 6: The Cyclops is not named as Polyfemus the soldiers like, say he's the son of or say they think he calls out Poseidon's name, like in the credits, it's just the Cyclops, you know. The direct link to Poseidon is left up to interpretation.
Speaker 5: Oh sure, but I mean he's also fifteen foot.
Speaker 6: Well, it's a time of magic and monsters. That's what they tell us at the beginning of the movie, right.
Speaker 7: Is the time of apparent magic, Yes, which to me, like could read it is like maybe it's magic, maybe it's not, or magic can see versus the time we live in now, where magic is not something that we can see, which I think. I think it's interesting to phrase it that way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the ambiguity there is different and very deliberate. But god, that's just one of many many rabbit holes we could go down. I want to talk a little about the look of this movie. It's kind of got that like dark and dissaturated thing going on that has become popular in fantasy movies in particular over the last couple of decades, and there are moments in it that really work. Like the entire look of Tartarus I thought was amazing, and not to mention sort of the interpretation of how that sequence all goes and how it feels. But apart from that, it was the one thing that I was maybe a little back and forth on is just how kind of like dim and dingy, so much of this movie looks deliberately, and like the grubbiness and grime is certainly deliberate, the heaviness of the kind of the way the world hangs over Odysseus in most places, the way that lifts on Calypso's island, where everything is very bright and clean, and you know, she's a very pale woman with very blonde hair, wearing very white clothing. Everything is just lightened compared to a lot of the rest of the movie. What did you think about the look of this film?
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm a big fan of cinematographer Hoit Van Hoittaba, who shot the last few Nolan films. Shot Take a Tailor, Soldier Spy. I think I think this big breakthrough is let the right one in. I think it's just really good with dealing with those shadows and like sometimes you get these really amazing contrasts, as in this the Cyclops cave, where you know, light just disappears once the cave is sealed. I'm kind of struck by also the scenes communicating with the dead outside Hades or Oceantis. Just to look at that, like the black sand, like you know, you can clock it instantly. It's Iceland because no hustle in the world, nowhere else in the world books like that. But it does have this really other worldly feel to it as well. And I in the use of like just fire amongst this like mist in this was really effective too. Yeah. I think it's a gorgeous, loky film and I need I need to. I have not seen it yet on Imax. I'm seeing that on Imax in a couple of days.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I was just gonna say, we need to go around and say how each of us.
Speaker 4: Saw Tasha and I touched and I saw it on you're at that screening right the seventy it was seventy millimeter. It's how exciting, right, which you don't expect at this AMC theater that I didn't even know was equipped it, but they must have brought it in.
Speaker 7: I saw this closure day in seventy milimeters death theater looked at the literally.
Speaker 4: Problem is like maybe people aren't used to showing things on film because it was out of frame the entire way, or should I say they weren't. It wasn't centered, and so maybe you were getting the whole image, but it was unmasked and so the top chunk of the screen was just black.
Speaker 2: I was irritating.
Speaker 4: It took me literally twenty minutes before I was like, Okay, I'm just gonna make my piece of this because it was so irritating to watch.
Speaker 5: But we definitely we got the whole image. I just want to throw that out there, because you could actually see just like the bottom line of the image because.
Speaker 2: You were twitching. Were you not twitching?
Speaker 5: I was not twitching, but I could. I could hear people around me grumbling about it in the first minute or so, and I kind of had a moment of like, well, if we're getting part of the image cut off, this is a problem and we need to speak to somebody. And then I looked and I'm like, no, we're literally seeing where the image in that job would be.
Speaker 4: I mean I was a projectionist, you would center the frame, you would bring it up to where you would you probably have a little bit on the black on the bottom, a little black on the top.
Speaker 5: Sure, but this is a perfectionist note as opposed to this is a travesty. We we were getting imaged.
Speaker 4: It was It wasn't it was just it was an irritant But as you know, I'm glad that it's done in this format. And to kind of go back to the question about the about the look of this movie, what impressed me the most about it, you know, especially for a film with a lot that is going to have a lot of effects, is how physical a production that it feels like immensity of it feels like you know, intolerance or something.
Speaker 2: It's a boat. We always think about that to me, To.
Speaker 4: Me like I always remember, you know, the year when both when Master and Commander came out the same year as Pirates of the Caribbean, and thinking about the boats in those movies and how much Master Commander had just that unbelievable physical weight to it, and how how the impact that that has on you as a viewer, and I think I think you get a little bit you eat a lot of that here with the Odyssey of just of trying to even with all of these effects, trying to make it as physical a production as possible, in making the audience kind of feel the impact of that, because I think when you do need a lot of effects and you are dealing with mythical creatures and monsters and things that are not natural, you can kind of get lost into sort of digital environments. And this doesn't get lost in that at all.
Speaker 6: I did not see it on seventy millimeters, but I did see it on Imax laser, which was actually gorgeous. Like, I have no complaints about it, and I think for a film that is you know, as Tasha says, maybe a little dingy or dark by design, Like it never felt washed out or hard to see. To me. It always felt very purposeful. I mean, if we want to go back to historical accuracy, you know, a very brightly colored Odyssey would perhaps not be the most realistic one in terms.
Speaker 5: Of light lights like the in back rooms.
Speaker 6: Yeah, in both like lighting and production design and setting, you know, but it makes use of that darkness or the you know, monochromaticness at times in ways that feel purposeful and that makes them feel beautiful and not like a missed opportunity.
Speaker 5: I guess, well, there's a lot more to talk about in this movie, but we should move on to connections, and I think some of the things that I most want to delve into are things that would be interesting to bring up specifically in connection with Oh Brother or Art though, anything you guys want to make sure we talk about before we transition off just talking about the Odyssey.
Speaker 6: Well, Oh Brother, Art though, does have a dog, but it does not have the very best boy ever argos which they see pack the dogs, true, but they are no argos. So, Tasha, I sensed a little in our last episode. I sensed maybe a little skepticism toward the use of argos and an Odyssey is.
Speaker 5: But I loved it, not skepticism per se. I don't know, one hundred percent love the way it was handled in that, you know, I think of the Argus story as being about a dog that got the one thing that it wanted most, the one thing it was hanging on for, and the degree to which Argus, like I know, it's meant to be a very old dog is just waiting for his master to come home, and you know it's it's just the small reaction that tips Telemachus off to what he's seeing. But having Argust be so decrepit and getting kicked and stomped on and thrown on the dung heap, and then lying there on the dung heap apparently not being fed for god who knows how long, and then barely being alive to see Odussius coming home. Is it weird to say it was sadder than I necessary really wanted out of a movie that's expressly about, you know, the immense loss of human life and the immense suffering of this journey and the horse material.
Speaker 7: All I can say it's right there on the page.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't disagree that it's it's very hard to see Argus treat it that way. That said, we see other dogs treated much much.
Speaker 5: Worse, fucking puppies off cliffs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you know it definitely I guess set the bar high slash low when it comes to dog endangerment sensitivities. But the payoff was it worked for me good.
Speaker 5: It is always interesting to see the you know, I know people have a soft spot for animals. I've got a soft spot for my own animals and for other people's animals. I am the kind of person that might go to a party and spend most of the time hanging out with a cat or the dog. But the vocal difference in the theater between several men get their heads bitten off while struggling and screaming for desperately for life versus a puppy gets hooked off a cliff, like the visceral noise in the theater when that happened, it should always remarkable. I don't recall any particular noise in the theater when the dog goes floating by underwater and no brother, where art thou? But that definitely takes a still place of comparison between the two. So maybe we should take a break and then come back with connections.
Speaker 3: We'll raise the sail, follow the southerly winds.
Speaker 7: History Hagamemnon's growing west on the known provisions route.
Speaker 3: It's got more mouths to feed. We'll find places at the limp Are you sure it's a risk that's followed Agamemnon long enough?
Speaker 2: But little luck and the right winds, we'll see some of the world still be on before Agamemnon.
Speaker 5: Now it's time for connections, when we bring these two films together and talk about all the things they have in common. I mean, starting.
Speaker 9: Fact that both yeah, epic journeys, like literal journeys, literal epics, you know, both about homecomings and about somebody struggling to get home against long odds.
Speaker 5: I will say that one kind of almost silly thing these two movies have in common is that I have no freaking sense whatsoever the geography involved, you know. I think in the Odyssey you feel that as kind of a physical weight, you know, you keep being told they're lost, the degree to which Urlacus emphasizes every time that ship sees land. He kind of turns to Odysseus and says, lucky bastard, because the chances of them finding land when they're at sea and in kind of uncharted waters is so high, Like they are hopelessly lost and don't know where they are. And we feel that in Oh Brother, there are points where I find myself just thinking, like I know, they're like running desperately across fields and you know, through byways, through towns, like wherever they can find themselves a car to steal or a pie to steal at the same time, I don't know how they end up, you know, traveling for days and days and days and still winding up coming up on the chain gang, which seems like the same chain gang. There is a sort of feeling of like, are they going in circles? Are we meant to feel they're going in circles? Is this an epic linear journey or is this just like are they are they wandering around completely lost? So I don't think that this is a like a deliberate or important thematic connection so much. Is just something I felt pretty viscerally in both movies, but with very different effects.
Speaker 2: Where are we Yeah, I guess they are stemied and no, brother, we're now in terms of you know, they have to get to their destiny before the dam wipes it out, uh so uh, but.
Speaker 4: But actually getting there, knowing where to go, having all these little obstacles in their way, some some so far off course that you you know that you do end up in you know, a similar situation is with Odysseus, where they're they're traveling and who knows what direction and to where, and you know, how how in the world are they going?
Speaker 2: To ever what direction even is home, but they just keep kind of traveling until they find it. I guess I think.
Speaker 6: You mean on account of their obstacles, Uh, Scott, Yes, But oh brother has a really like specific rhythm of because like it, we are in a like a fairly small geographic space, so we're kind of like, rather than going from island to island like in the Odyssey, we're just kind of like going from incident to incident. What was really interesting to me to know it was the bonfire sequences at night when they're like camping out at night, and there was like kind of this consistent returning to this same type of scene of them around the fire, and it's sort of the reset between the antics and the eventful things that happen, you know, and there's some really nice just hanging around the fire, especially once they meet up with Tommy and he's singing and stuff. It's not an exact parallel to like Odysseus's men on the boat, like going from location to location, but just in terms of like the rhythm of the film, it creates kind of a wave almost, you know, or peaks and valleys of action and rest, action and rest that works really well for the pace of a journey.
Speaker 5: One of the parallels here that I kind of find interesting is that both of these journeys are complicated in a way by our protagonist's choices, like a departure. That I found really interesting in Nolan's Odyssey is that when they blind the Cyclops in order to escape, it's very much presented as you know, a necessity for survival. They do what they have to do, and Odysseus doesn't turn back and give a false name to the Cyclops in kind of a spirit of treachery and trickery. You know, he doesn't brag about you know who has blinded you and tell him it was no man. There's a lack of hubris there that you know. To me, one of the things that kind of defines that beat of the Odyssey is Odysseus's like pride in the gambit that he came up with, and he in a way he's mocking this creature that he's just blinded. Nolan just kind of drops that aside. We get a pretty strong sense of hubris from Ulysses Everett McGill and his confidence that you know, he doesn't need book learning to practice law. He doesn't need experience to sell bibles. He also does not recognize a threat when it's standing in front of him, having just clubbed his compatriot upside the hit and coming for him. He is a very hubristic character, and he's set upon this particular epic journey through fault of his own, you know, through the bad choices that he made. So I feel like that's something that a brother has in common with kind of the classic version of Odysseus, but maybe not with the version here. I'm not sure what Nolan's Odysseus could have done differently in order to not anger the gods in this case, except you know, die and get eaten.
Speaker 7: And I think in Nolan's he's smart more than Wiy like he he comes with the plans and schemes, but he's not really trying to trick anybody out of spite or you know they're there. It is purely an escape, whereas in I think in the in Homer there's certainly more of a tatting quality to it. In both versions, I ended up feeling kind of bad for the Cyclops. To be honest, he just do its.
Speaker 2: Thing, and you do you do?
Speaker 7: In the version two oh no, no, no, no no, I mean in both Homer and and OK, yeah no no you feel bad about it, no reason, I.
Speaker 6: Mean if you, if you do feel bad at all, it's because John Goodman does have a weird ability to like bring pathos to even like horrible characters. But it's it's pretty tough in this case, I think too.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't feel any sense of pathos for him here, And in part it's because the character himself isn't trying to evoke it, Like he seems very pleased, you know, with with his plans. He seems very pleased with his physical superiority at lowering these two yahoo's out into the uh into the field, getting free extra dinner out of them second lunch, I guess, and then clubbing them upside the head and taking their money. Like there's nothing that we get from him to indicate like a sadness or a loss that would that would excuse these behaviors. This is just what he does, and he seems pretty pleased with it. So I can't sympathize with the cyclops here. I feel like Nolan's cyclops is unknowable, you know, he is, He's not a large man. He is a creature, a creature of like unknown provenance that does come across as something that might have been like sired by a god on who knows what. And I feel sympathy for anything that has its eye poked out with a pointy, flaming spear, because that sounds terrible. But again, I really can't fault the the ithacns the soldiers for doing that because they don't want to get killed and eaten.
Speaker 6: I was talking last week about how watching O Brother through the context of the Odyssey, it sort of primes you to find like sort of like little micro connections that may or may not be purposeful. But talking about the cyclops, one of those I thought of here was the like the soldiers escaping by pretending to be she I felt an echo of that in the Clan rally scene where Big Dan reappears with only one eye cut cut out of his mask. But that are our trio. You know, they steel robes, so they are disguising themselves to try to hide from the cyclops there.
Speaker 4: So you know they classic is a classic physical comedy trope of like shrubs kind.
Speaker 2: Of like shivering as they're changing.
Speaker 4: Into the Uh into the garb of the person that they've just taken off of someone else.
Speaker 2: Good stuff.
Speaker 4: Maybe this is a nice window into talking about this if we were talking about you know, escape and you know what options they really have in terms of even trying to negotiate a situation like that. But we haven't talked about one of my favorite sequences in all of the Odyssey, which is the one with Samantha Morton as uh was Circe, is that the name is yeah and just and just about and how that is how you get to a point where Odysse's can actually talk and negotiate and advocate for his men in a way that he doesn't in any other situation. Like he's a different kind of leadership. And there's something kind of touching I guess about his acknowledgment of her perspective and what she's kind of going through and being able to kind of them being able to kind of see each other and kind of come to this moment of grace together.
Speaker 2: It's a nice shift from you know, other conflicts I guess that we have in them in this story.
Speaker 5: Shout out to Madelon Miller's novel Circe, which is terrific. Read it recently for the first time, not in relationship to this movie at all, but just because it's been on my tea read for a very long time. It will make you see Circe very differently, and in my mind, this version of the character is more or less that version of the character. It explains a lot about her behavior way that moment when the soldiers are asked to leave their armor and weapons out back and they look out back and just see a field of slowly disappearing into the grass and disintegrating like an army's worth of arms and weapons, and then they do it anyway. Man, What a moment. But talking about Circe kind of brings us to a point that I really wanted to explore here, which is, in talking about the Odyssey, we just really haven't talked about Antonas. Robert Pattinson's character, kind of the lead of the suitors, certainly the biggest coward among them, but also kind of the biggest leader, perpetually trying to direct traffic to get other people to do all the work, making sure that he's taking the least risk. Just a real snake of a man, and seemingly the only one of the suitors to come to Penelope and try to kind of clozen her into believing that he's he's just a nice guy, y'all. His parallel, I suppose in Oh Brother, to the degree that that there is one, isn't Waldrip, who you know, is the is almost a background character. You know, he's a function of the plot, but apart from being able to best Ulysses in a Woolworth's punching contest, he's just not that much of a character. I kind of wonder if a better parallel for him is the sheriff, who is kind of the big central villain of the movie to the degree that it has or needs one, And he is a character who seems, you know, more physically brave and confident, but also is you know, using other people to get his way, is very much uninterested in the law or what other people want so much as he gets to destroy things. He just goes around burning down people's barns in order to flush people out, which you know, leaves to a lot of damn, we're in a tight spot, so you know there are there are kind of a lot of sub villains in both of these movies.
Speaker 4: Well, the sheriff is the sheriff is neither a suitor nor bonafide thought Sheriff nice. Maybe so Waldrop is I think our our suitor here. I'm glad you brought brought up Pattinson because he's kind I don't know if the scene's back in that sphere, back in that back home, really have the Papa do without that character. He's a true, truly kind of juicy villain that we're just we kind of cannot wait that we really wait an entire movie to get his glorious come up. And so I think I was impressed by him in this in this film, I guess he. I guess he was inspired by James Woods's character in Casino, which.
Speaker 7: Is kind of like, all right, he does not the one scene where he makes a pretty good case for himself too, which he immediately underminds by going to mac on Miaco's character. But but he does, you know, he does put a pretty persuasive argument out there for for why he should be the one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if only he wasn't just such a weasel. And you know, she's seen Penalope, has seen a lot more of him than we have, and possibly knows that he's a weasel. It's possible that he's come around and tried this before, he's tried other things, or she's just you know, paying attention and has seen like how he operates. You know, this is somebody who's perfectly willing to dump a dog on a dung heap, but then is coming around, you know, with his his nice guyline. So it's pretty obvious who he is, and it's pretty obvious how she feels about kind of all of them collectively.
Speaker 2: And yet yet not great vetting of Mia Goth What happened, what happened there? What broke down in the hiring process.
Speaker 5: Well, it's very hard to check the internet to see if they've you know, been posting pictures of themselves with the suitors, you know, at the beach when they're sneaking around on their days off.
Speaker 7: I think one way to talk about one thing we want to talk about here is a casside of Travis Scott as the bart who gets the first line of Christopher Nolan's The Odyssey and and uh. Nolan has said it's because he wanted to tie you know, a very current oral tradition, which which is hip hop and rap, with the very old oral tradition, which is the or tradition from which the Odyssey emerged. I think that's a really smart and well done without being overdone. He's not making he's not making the Americ equivalent of of Hamilton or anything.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 7: But we kind of get that in in O Brother, Where art Thou too? Where we have all these these folk traditions that are I guess you can say it's kind of being the equivalent of written down in the sense that they're recorded, but they're being passed around. They're becoming a shared culture for everyone in this region, much as like these stories of Odysseus and and the fall of Troy are becoming widespread in a way, you know, even without a disease's presence there. I guess he's in a way he's mass communication.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: And he's also drawn on, you know, mass communication otherwise, you know, because he is telling he is not telling the tale of the king of this place. He's telling the tale of the wile Odysseus, who who ended the Trojan War. You know, this is very clearly a story that's been passed around a lot already, to the point where mentalais it just kind of says, you know, you already, you already know this story. You've already heard this story because the assumption is like this is the song that the birds are singing. Everybody's heard it, of course, so you know, we we, as I said in the first half, we have this tale that has preceded him home. And it's the closest thing to mass media we have because it's it's everywhere. It's in other kingdoms, it's in other king halls. And yet we have the moment where Penelope hears it starting up again, and it's just like, no, not that story. I'm tired of hearing and being reminded that my husband isn't here by hearing this story about how smarty is that everybody's telling all the time.
Speaker 6: You know, Odysseus's journey has been, you know, being told in all of these songs that our reference and you know, sort of the odyssey itself is an epic poem, is you know, kind of a big song in a way. But if you think about it, Man of Constant Sorrow is kind of like a little Odyssey in micro and its lyrics. You know, I've did farewell to Old Kentucky, the place where I was born and raised. For six years, I've been in trouble, no pleasure here on earth. I'll find this world. I'm bound to ramble. I don't have all the lyrics up in front of me because it crashed my computer when I tried to do that. But you see what I'm going for here.
Speaker 5: You know, I got no friends help me because they have all died.
Speaker 7: But along the journey you're the podcaster.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it all just it goes back to what I said last week about oh brother art, those sort of strongest connection to the Odyssey outside of all the little plot elements, is this idea of tales of men's childs and tribulations being passed down in spoken or sung form. And you know, the soggy bottom boys our bards of this, even if one of them happens to be our hero too.
Speaker 5: I feel like, in addition to that, you know, we're running along, as we so often are when we're talking about big monumental films that we have strong feelings about, we should just mention the degree to which both of these movies deal with children and legacy. You know, the idea of who is the next generation, how do they remember us, what do they know about us? How much of it is true? How much of it is legend. How do they feel about us? You know, both of these films tap into that pretty heavily, and both of them do kind of contend with faith and religion and how humanity interacts with gods, what they get out of that relationship, how different that relationship is in Foxholes, as it were. You know, when people are in danger, they see religion as very different. And I think especially in No Brother, there's sort of an ongoing feeling that, you know, because of the depression the privation that people are living in, they're living in a constant sort of place of danger, and so they're drawing on all of this old gospel movies in sorrow or constant sorrow. But I feel like the one thing we really need to explore before we call it a day an end to this epic journey of ours, is the degree to which both of these movies deal with ends of eras Keith, you added this to the connections list pretty late, and it does underline the fact that we really haven't talked about the kind of like big final theme of the Odyssey. So I'm curious what you're thinking about how both of these movies touch on the ends of eras well.
Speaker 7: We'll start with their brother or art that which which is. I thought, you know, one thing I think about it is you have the flood that sort of like eliminates a whole you know, a whole area in the name of progress, in the name of bringing electricity. And we see at the end we see lissies walking by a billboard about this this whole new age that's coming in. But it kind of goes a little bit beyond that as well. I think one thing that's doing with music is there's this you know, tremendous appetite for old timy music, right and it's like the last moment when this stuff is is just going to be you know, an oral tradition or like passed out a folk tradition passed around people. It becomes sort of pop culture in a way. I think we're we've watched, I mean, we've we've laughed a couple of lines about the like the weird mass communicating the line. But but it is going to change everything in terms of like how we consume art, what you know, whether or not art is you know, confined to a certain region too, like this could you know this is a regional hit? But but soon you know, with the airplace and like this could be a national hit as well. I mean, the very fact that we're talking about, you know, we're talking about the soundtrack becoming this this passed around cultural phenomenon is is sort of like what happens in the film itself in a way where this this these specific cultures get you know, recorded and passed around, and also like you know, it leads a tremendous mixing of cultures as well. I think there's a little bit of optimism at the end of Our Brother War at that, whereas I think at the end of Nolan's the Odyssey they're just really not h and I really kind of want a tiptoe around the spoiler, the spoilerness of it all, but directly the right to what we've been talking about about the oral tradition and whether or not what is passed aroung orally you know, what's written down and what's like going on in various cultures at various points when when what when writing versus the orld tradition dominates over the other. I think it's just really interesting stuff in there. I think we really both these films leave their characters on the cusp of new eras and with a lot of uncertainty and but at least a little bit I think of optimism and a Brother were art, though.
Speaker 5: I feel like with a Brother the end of an era that we're seeing is, you know, the end of an era of poverty and separation of you know, the distance across the state being a tremendous, unsurpassable distance that takes days and days to transit an onto a more modern era. You know, the advent of electricity is going to be a good thing, and eventually the depression is going to end politically, at least, you know, the the return of Pappy does not suggest a whole lot of reform going to be going on and that people are going to have a better time of it, but we know happier days are ahead.
Speaker 8: With the Odyssey, I see Odysseus saying that this is a tragedy that the era, you know, the era of Zeus's law has ended. But this movie doesn't give me a whole lot of respect for Zeus's law. This law is presented, at least by Odysseus as a kind of civil and an understanding between people, you know, for truth and generosity.
Speaker 5: It feels like a very political message, to be a very modern political message, specifically about you know, when you cannot trust people to act in a civil manner, when you can't trust your leaders to tell the truth, when you can't trust people to not be corrupt, to not steal everything they can get their hands on, what does that leave us? Like? Who are we? Who are we as a civilization? That's what I see that movie ultimately asking. But I do struggle a little bit to get that from the end of Zeus's law, which seems to be a law that forbids driving thieves out of your house. You know that that forbids being even slightly rude to people who come into your house and live there for three years, demanding that you feast, that you throw feats for them every night.
Speaker 7: But self is a corruption of law or zenia, to use the Greek word.
Speaker 5: And yet it seems like Zeus's law allows for that form of corruption but doesn't allow for anybody to fight back against it. So that's where I get a little confused about exactly why it's the tragedy that we're ending this particular era. We're ending an era that puts the suitors on the right side of the law and puts the rightful King of Ithaca on the wrong side of the law.
Speaker 7: But the ideals are good. I mean, the founding principles are not just good, they're noble.
Speaker 5: Agreed, the principles are noble. You know, honesty in politics is noble. Not being a klansman is pretty noble. Not being pappy either also quite noble. There's a lot of illustration of how to do things wrong in both of these movies, for society, for individuals, for households, for parents, for people on epic journeys. I wish there was a little more in both of them in terms of illustration of how to do things right.
Speaker 7: I think it's interesting we're finding that ambiguity here too. I think there's a lot of ambiguity. It runs runs through both films, and maybe that's like the final connection to like, these are not films that necessarily give you clear senses of of there's that there's not solid black and white morality in either of these. You know, Odysseus is I think we're coming away thinking Odysseus is a good man. But that's kind of in spite of all we see him do right. I mean, there's there's a whole death kind of trails him, and I would not necessarily. I might look up to him, but I wouldn't I want to be on the same ship with him. That doesn't work out well. And and perhaps the same could be true Ulysses. I don't know what the next chapter of ulysses life is there in In in the South, but I guess I'm hopeful for both.
Speaker 4: That's why both movies end with the end Ellipses question mark.
Speaker 7: Overturn in.
Speaker 5: You know, maybe the big difference between them is in the end, Odysseus judges himself harshly for what he's done, for what he's lost, and for what he feels has been lost through him, and Ulysses seems perfectly happy with the way things have come out. You know, maybe it's just a question of how self aware they are of the harm that they've done, and how determined they are to see themselves in the light that others might see them. Maybe there is an illustration of how to do things well, and if it's criticize yourself too harshly and send yourself into exile, at least that's better than just smugly saying well you know now I'm very clearly bonafide. I don't know if you want to fact check Scott on how these two movies? And you can find Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? Available on DVD and Blu Ray, It's streaming on the Criterion, and it's widely available for digital rental. And The Odyssey is in theaters. Now we'll be right back with your Next Picture Show. Finally, it's time to recommend a film or film related item that compliments this set of episodes. We call it your Next Picture Show in the hopes that it'll put some interesting choices on your radar. Keith, what do you have for us?
Speaker 7: There's a very easy, very fine supplement to watch if you really enjoy Oh Brother, We're Out though, and specifically the music of Oh Brother, We're at There, which is a concert film directed by Nick Dabb and are you know the reliable team of Chris Hedshist and Da Pinnabaker called Down from the Mountain, which fairly straightforwardly but effectively films a concert performance at the Ryman Auditorium, former home of the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, Tennessee, And you're going to see you know, it includes a lot of people from the soundtrack and a lot of the songs from the soundtrack, but also some people there aret on the soundtrack and some songs that aren't on the soundtrack. It is, you know, it's it's just it's great. It's a great concert of this, of this, of this music. The the filmmaking is not flashy, but it's it's very you know, it's very flat on the wallagy might expect from that team. There's a moment that always stuck with me though, that has that's sort of like between between acts and it's Emmy Lou Harris backstage and she's singing one of her own songs, I think acapella, and she is completely captivating and it's sort of like, you know, it makes you aware of the performer is performing something that the effect to have his audience or they're not not always on the same page necessarily because she's she's you know, a beautiful voice, beautiful song, and about midway through she's totally cuts off because she has sort of this pre smartphone device that gives baseball score updates and she's just really excited about some updated What are you doing, You're you're you're breaking the spell aarush, but yeah, I'd recommend. I definitely recommend that film. If you want a little bit more of that O Brother Worret, they'll.
Speaker 5: Feel absolutely incredible. Thank you so much for that. That's it for this edition of The Next Picture Show, Genevieve, Can you tell us about our next pairing?
Speaker 6: Well? With the summer movie season winding down in Hollywood, we are also clocking out next week for just a little more time in the sun, but we'll be back the week after that, and we're cooking up a culinary pairing that will surely earn us three stars in Michelin, five stars on Apple Podcasts, and a James Beard Award. In his wonderful memoir Kitchen Confidential, Anthony Mordain referenced his humble beginnings in Provincetown, where he cut his teeth as a dishwasher and lin cook and a small restaurant while getting into all sorts of mischief. That formative piece of his life has inspired Tony, a lively newcoming of age film by Matt Johnson, the director of BlackBerry and Nirvana, the band of the show the movie. Before his death in twenty eighteen, Bourdain had cited the Pixar classic Ratitude as one of the best films ever made about the restaurant business, reserving special praise for how well it understood the passion and protocols of the kitchen. So on our next set of episodes, we'll look at Ratitude and Tony and decide who's the least chaotic chef, an aspirational rat or a skirt chasing college student on summer break.
Speaker 5: For now, we welcome your feedback on Oh Brother, Where art thou? The Odyssey, and anything else film related you'd like to talk about. Email us at comments at next pictureshow dot net, or leave us a voicemail at seven seven three two three four nine seven three zero. Before we close out this week's episode, where can we find everyone these days? Genevieve, let's start with you.
Speaker 6: I continue to be the TV editor at Vulture, mostly behind the scenes, and I continue to park on Blue Sky at Genevieve Koski and occasionally post some completely non film or TV related content on my Instagram. So if you want to see what my garden or dogs are up to, go there, Scott.
Speaker 2: I'm just looking up.
Speaker 4: What's the last time we've gotten an original?
Speaker 2: Genevieve costumes. And it's been seven months, so you've gotten something.
Speaker 4: But but but maybe maybe maybe maybe a little bit more powerful. The impact is powerful when it happens. You can find me mostly at the Reveal, the newsletter that I write with Keith Phipps. That's the Reveal Dot film. I'm gonna by way of it hasn't happened yet by but I'm gonna will myself to do a ranked list of Christopher Nolan films for the newsletter next week.
Speaker 2: So I have to do it. So I have to.
Speaker 4: It will have already been It's you've already seen it. Well you have been there. But but me saying it, I'm speaking into existence now do.
Speaker 5: You're pulling out Tyresius predicting the future?
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 4: You just want me in New York Times, Vulture, Guarding, and other fine publications. And I met on Blue Sky at Scott Tobias Tush Robinson.
Speaker 5: Oh you can find me over at Vulture, still writing about Game Changer, the Dropout Show, which I love so very very dearly, and occasionally popping up on Polygon, where I just reviewed Moana. So if you believe Scott, and I want to know why I hate Moana so much. I don't hate Malana so much, but you can find out there. Also July brought the release of the Criterion edition of The Crying Game, with an essay by yours truly about Neil Jordan and the history of this movie and its complicated reception, shall we say in Ireland and the UK versus it's more straightforward and certainly very influential reception in America. Very very interesting history of this movie and very interesting taking a big deep dive into the things that Neil Jordan has said about it over the course of more than thirty years of release. So you can find that essay online at Criterion dot com. You can also find it in the liner notes of the actual edition of the movie, which I highly recommend revisiting or watching if you haven't seen it already. Keith, where can we find you?
Speaker 7: Tasha? I had to ask that, and I'm sorry. I apologize in advance, but after I read this essay, well, I know all I need to know about the Crying Game.
Speaker 5: I mean, I know all there is to know about the Crying Game. It turns out it's really pretty simple. So yeah, probably you will, I mean now, and you need to see the movie as well, and honestly, if you see the movie, you might know all there is to know about the Crying Game. I'm just a supplement.
Speaker 7: Well as for me, I write about film and television wherever, in any place that will happen the most recent most you know, currently at Vulture and TV Guide, occasionally some other places, but you can always find me at the Reveal at the Revealed Dot film. It's the newsletter that Scott already mentioned where I co write. I co write that with him and as much as he willed his next piece into existence. I'm holding a blu ray of the film Ulysses, which is the Anthony Quinn Kirk Douglas version of the Odyssey from the nineteen fifties that I've never seen. But it's interesting that I think it's just the fact that it's it's the only other modern, you know, sort of like post silent full adaptation of the Odyssey to film, and I think it's probably pretty different. It's only ninety four minutes long, so I'm sure it's quite different from Christopher Nolan's version. Also, because there aren't enough film podcasts and in the world, I recently launched a with with Mike Ryan, who used to work with it up Rocks. He brought me the idea of doing a podcast about Harrison Ford movies, and I think that's a pretty good idea, and he's like, and we can call it Ford Focus, Like, oh, that's a great idea. So we are going through the filmography of Harrison Ford, you know, one film at a time. We're currently on a weekly schedule and we're having some guests on. You know, currently we got episodes about The Fugitive. By the time this comes out, we'll have covered Mosquito Coast and The Devil's Own. Are kind of alternating the big hits with the lesser known films.
Speaker 4: So it's if you were to join Patreon and get more content, what would you be called then.
Speaker 7: Keith, Well, know you're referring to our bonus episodes, which are thing Ford escapes, which.
Speaker 2: I thought you were personally called a Ford Explorer. If you're.
Speaker 7: Maybe that's me that we need to maybe we need to incorporate that. That's that's great. We did rule out using the word Ford probe in any context show though, so that's that would not work. But you can look for that where we can find podcasts and you know, like this one.
Speaker 5: You can also stay updated on the Next Picture Show at Next Picture Show dot net and on blue Sky at the Next Picture Show. Get bonus content and open discussion at patreon dot com slash Next Picture Show. And as always, we appreciate your ratings and reviews on Apple Podcasts or Spotify or wherever you listen to this show. Thanks to Dan the Bake Jakes for his assistance in producing this podcast. The Next Picture Show is proud to be part of the Film Spotting family of podcasts. Please tune in next time.
Speaker 7: It was a good movie Yah seen here before once