Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Hour two on this speed Friday.
Speaker 2: Gang's all here, ready to go. King of Comedy, Fritzie, You got Marvin Paullie Seaton. Paulie is sporting an eye patch here, and uh is this a is this a new.
Speaker 3: Look for you? It's just a one day or a one day or little treatment last night. I was a procedure. I actually yes, it was not surgery.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: I had a little procedure last night.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: And the hotlights are a little.
Speaker 2: Okay, sporting the eye patch here becoming all right, very pirate of you, Yeah, like a plaid pirate. By the way, the Pirates fired their manager. His name is Derek Shelton. You might not be aware of his name, but I think he'd been there six years. I don't know what they expect. You know, you have a smaller market and you have an owner wants to turn a profit. Roster's not great. You got a couple of players who are going to be really good for somebody else. But if you look at what the Pirates, they had sixty one, sixty two, seventy six, seventy six wins and then now tracking towards a fifty one win season.
Speaker 4: They got a couple of players.
Speaker 2: You've got Paul's schemes on there, but I don't know what you expect. I'm trying to think the last time that they finished better than five hundred. When's the last time they made the playoffs. They don't even come close to finishing over five hundred. The Pirates have won eighty games in a season four times since nineteen ninety two. Only the Royals have compiled more losses in the twenty first century.
Speaker 6: Ow stell of a day, stan a day, stall of a day.
Speaker 4: Stella a day.
Speaker 7: This is the style of the day.
Speaker 2: I don't think ownership has signed a free agent to a multi year contract since December of twenty seventeen. You know, they can develop players, but it's not a destination for free agents, and you just don't have enough good players there. I can't say the team underperformed. I don't know if they're good enough to perform. And I don't know what he's supposed to do in a situation like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paulie, Yeah, the Pirates have made the playoffs again three times since nineteen ninety two. Here's a thought, Paul Skiings. Now, I know he's good for publicity and attendance one out of every five games. What do you trade Paul Skiings early while he's max value and redo your whole farm, your whole farm club and have a chance to have a young base of talent to maybe score one of those Florida Marlins type runs. I can't think any other way. Their competitive.
Speaker 4: I don't know what's important to ownership there.
Speaker 2: Do you want to win? Do you want to spend money? Do you want to spend more money than you're comfortable spending it? You know, it's such a great baseball city, that ballpark's great views are great, and you go to downtown walk across the bridge. Uniforms, I mean they they they and I look, I grew up hating the Pirates because they were so great in the seventies. That could pretty much run down the starting lineup with Manny Sanghian and Al Oliver and Roberto Clementi and Willie Stargel, Bob Robertson and Gene Alley, Rennie Stennett, Bob Veal, John Candelaria Kent to Colvey, I mean they who is it Bob Moose? Was he another picture on that team. Dave Justy I think was the closer there. You know, they had great baseball players and it was a great baseball but you know, it's the haves and the have nots. You almost should separate and say, all right, if you're only going to spend this amount of money, then you're going to be playing in this league. You know, maybe you have relegation, maybe maybe there's a group that you have. These are the these are the teams that are in Triple A ish and then you have you know, maybe somebody is really good and they win and then they can move up and then somebody moves down.
Speaker 4: Maybe you have something like that.
Speaker 2: But I don't know what you expect out of some of these smaller markets, mid market teams. And I don't know if there's full disclosure on what what are you spending, how much you're making. That's what I always want to know. And I always said with certain organizations and the Cincinnati Bengals, there should be a minimum spend, like you must spend at least this. And they're owners, they're fine, they're fine owning a team. The value goes up, maybe you're not winning anything and you're getting a profit. But pirates have fired their manager. It's been a while since we've had somebody fired this soon. I think it was the Cincinnati Reds maybe who fired their manager, like eighteen or nineteen games in a few years ago.
Speaker 4: All right, you got the Timberwolves.
Speaker 2: They take Game two and the series now goes back to Golden State. The calves at the Pacers tonight, thunder at the Nuggets. Poll question for hour two is going to be what Seaton. By the way, good morning if you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country, numbering over four hundred cities to carry the program.
Speaker 4: All right, Seaton, we.
Speaker 8: Got up there right now. Whose career do you want? Spike Lee, Bob Costas, Mark Messier. Okay, let's guess the results. Guess the results, Spike Lee, Bob Costas, Mark Messia.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say, as Todd likes to do, I'm going to say, Tod, do you say he is Bob costas Spike Lee, Mark Messier?
Speaker 4: That's your order? Yeah, why do you think Bob Costas? First?
Speaker 2: I think people can look at that and go, that's a good job. You know, he's got to cover all these events. You get to wear suit and tie your hair's combs. Yeah, it seems easy. Yeah, longevity. So I'd say, I'd say Bob Costas. Bob Costas is forty seven percent of the vote right now. Okay, that's a shockingly high number to me.
Speaker 8: Okay, Mark Messier is in second, but very close him, Him and Spike Lee are basically tied at second. Okay, but Costas running away with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think people look at that and go I would want to do that job, or I could do that job. And he's been everywhere on everything. And he'll be on the show coming up in about fifteen minutes from he will, Yes, he will, he will, Yes, he will. By the way, if you miss Spike Lee, he was great first hour. He had a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: Ready to go.
Speaker 2: Saturday Afternoon Nicks Celtics Chris and Syracuse.
Speaker 4: Hi, Chris, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 10: Thanks Dan?
Speaker 9: Hey, a couple of comments off your Spike Lee interview. I thought it was a great question on second best sequel on the movies of all time besides behind Godfather too and I got to go Rocky to and you know, I always wondered why in Jungle fever. Why Spike went with Leslie Snipes over his guy Denzel, Well.
Speaker 2: I don't know if there was some kind of scheduling issue with Denzel.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's picked Denzel for what five movies, including the latest one coming out this August.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, I.
Speaker 3: Have a couple more high end sequels. Terminator two, Judgment Day is as good or better than the first, right there. Aliens, the sequel to Alien. Remember Sigourney, we were in that big thing beating up the bad guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's pretty great too. Those are pretty high end sequel.
Speaker 4: Not a sequel. Guy mostly bad. Yeah, I don't and I get it, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Hollywood lacks creativity and they don't want to take chances, and they're like, all right, that made this kind of money, let's do it again.
Speaker 4: Come up with a different script. Yeah.
Speaker 8: I don't know if it counts as a sequel because it's kind of the next in the story. Empire Strikes Back. Star Wars is a pretty great one. Okay, that's a really good one. But I don't know if it's Those are kind of it's a story that you tell, you know, so I have to see the first one. I guess to appreciate the second one.
Speaker 4: You haven't seen either Star Wars movie. No, it's definitely too late to do that.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 2: It is, it is, it is, It doesn't it's not going to hit. It doesn't hold up. No, okay, no, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 12: For John Fever dens at what was considered, but Spike went with Wesley Snipes and Spike Lee asked Martin Scorsese to be in the film, but he declined, and Marissa Tome turned down the role of Angie Tucci, the female lead, because of her scheduling conflicts with a little movie called My Cousin Vinnie could call.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Paul.
Speaker 5: You know, the Bourne movies never trailed off. They have some consistency.
Speaker 3: I can't remember all the names of them, the Bourne identity afterwards, but they stayed pretty steady for all those sequents.
Speaker 4: It was a great movie. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: The Bummer is the Jeremy Renner one, and Jeremy Renner is a great actor, but he's not born He's not Jason Bourne.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they should have had it be like somebody else, but also part of tread Stone.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, once again, that movie's on any of the movie Boorne identity movies and I'm watching I don't care where it is. Be right at the end, right at the beginning, right in the middle, doesn't matter. Always great. Let me see Lucas in Texas. I Luke, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Hey Dan, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 7: You know, as you've already mentioned in your Spike Lee interview, we have a new pope, an American pope, and I've got a couple of quick things for you. A question and an observation. First, my question somewhat rhetorical, but how long until Fritzy inappropriately reaches out to the Vatican to talk about something related to Villanova's sports. That's my first one and my second one. This is more of an observation. It was really a cool moment to see Poco Leo walk out yesterday as the cheers of the audience. What was a little unexpected, And Marvin, you'll appreciate this is that if you play it back, you can actually hear a small crowd of Americans waving flags and singing Roughrider anthem by DMX. So I think we all know what our song is on the international stage now whenever we get a big win.
Speaker 10: So let's go boys.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a big deal American pope, Chicago based and White Sox fan, Jordans fan. I think there were memes that were out there with the Jordan logo, the jump man on his robe. Fritzie did come up with a Pope Leo the fourteenth song, ty do you want to explain this?
Speaker 13: I was just thinking about, you know, the pope and the guy Electoris, think of song parodies and things like that, and I'm like, you know what, there was Duran Durant's Rio.
Speaker 12: Back in I think nineteen eighty two. I know that was forty three years ago.
Speaker 13: I don't want to skew too old. And I singing a couple of lines in my head while I was like brushing my teeth, and I thought I had a little something that I can kind of put together with Pope Leo off of Rio, big hit song by Duran Durant.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, I'm ready, let's go. Let's see what you got.
Speaker 1: His name is.
Speaker 6: Leo and he wears the paper crown.
Speaker 14: He's bringing peace and love all through a Roman town and when he prays with us, we're filled with so much hope on Leo Leo.
Speaker 4: Yes, we have a brand pope.
Speaker 1: He's from Chicago.
Speaker 4: Put him in the owner's box.
Speaker 6: He'll bless the copies, Bud. He really loves the sucks.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 6: The Pope won't quit until his work is done. He may be the fourteenth, but to us he's number one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, respectful, I think I know the answer, but I'm still gonna ask it for the audience. Have you reached out to the Vatican to have Pope Leo join it?
Speaker 13: It's funny that that was mentioned, because late last night, before he went to bed, I said, I wonder how many steps it would take to actually get the Pope on the show, and would he be willing to come on and to a zoom. He's a Chicago guy and sports fan, and I'm still looking into it. I don't have any direct contact yet, but there's a press secretary for the president here and there's got to be a way to get a message his way. It may take many many steps, but we're certainly going to give it a shot. Why not?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 12: How great would that be?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 4: All right? Jonah in Colorado?
Speaker 10: Hey, Jonah, Day's longtime, first time I had five, ten.
Speaker 15: One sixty. I wanted to talk about yesterday you and the boys. We're talking about some of the greatest songs are associated with college football teams. And I wanted to say, y'all miss Dixiel and Delight at Alabama.
Speaker 2: Well they Alabama's got a couple of them.
Speaker 15: Yeah, but the one we're really known for, the one you see the you know, cool high videos of.
Speaker 16: That's stick SiO and Delight right after the start of.
Speaker 15: The fourth quarter.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, not familiar with that, but thank you, Jonah. It shows how known they are for it.
Speaker 2: I guess, Wow, wow, Chemo in Virginia beach, Hi, keem on, welcome back.
Speaker 10: Hey Danny, Oh gosh, I can't control my phone, and thanks for calling. And to grass funny, I mean, because you want Spike you know, that was just that's just classic good Danny Patrick stuff. And then and I can't believe the pole question was so perfect, but I'm I'm confused about your answer. Spike is a man all the accolades. And then we all want to be Moose, right, we got to be Moose. So that leads us to who is the last Danny? When you agreet just you give him hello, loser.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Kima.
Speaker 2: Now that's what he calls me when I didn't win the Sports Emmy. Hello loser.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know what's it?
Speaker 17: Give us a of it? Dan Quizybot and Emma and uh it's Friday?
Speaker 4: Sorry? Wow? Did I mention what we're having for meat Friday? A classic combo? Yeah? I would never put these two together.
Speaker 2: Classic combo, A jumbo crab cake, sandwich, smoke, Turkey clubs, Surf and Turf and Coleslaw classic.
Speaker 4: Who is it better than we do?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Okay, which are you more excited about?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say the smoke Turkey Club? Me too, Me too?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Todd, what about you? I'm going Turkey Club Yeah.
Speaker 2: Paul crab Cake Yeah, Marmon crab Cakes Okay.
Speaker 4: I'm not possible hot take not a big crabcake guy, crab Tree. I was talking about you, crab Tree.
Speaker 18: Let's talk about.
Speaker 4: Classic this talking about you, Cramtree.
Speaker 2: All right, let me come on, let's go clean up our app And it was wait a wee as we're gonna take a break.
Speaker 4: We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 19: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 20: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 19: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 20: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 19: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 20: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something.
Speaker 19: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media. That's Covino and rich.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up eight seven to seven three DP Show operator Tyler is sitting by. Mark Messier will join us coming up next hour. If you miss Spike Lee or any interviews, you can go to Danpatrick dot com. He's Bob constas the Hall of Famer. He will visit the ninety second Street y in New York City this Sunday. That'll be May eleventh. That's seven and a well, a pote prie of topics, I'm sure over his forty plus years in the business and online and in person. Tickets available at ninety two and Why dot org. Bob, how are you today?
Speaker 11: I'm good, Dan, and rest assured I will not make a penny off whatever the ninety second Street why accruise from this appearance. Okay, they do great stuff there. Not to belabor it. You could actually see someone in conversation with Larry David or Paul Simon, that kind of thing. And now I guess they've dipped down in rank. They didn't have anybody else for Mother's Day night, so it's made this time.
Speaker 4: Pirates have fired their manager. Yeah, and I'm wondering.
Speaker 2: Could you do a two tiered system and maybe have and it's the haves and the have nots. Could you do relegation maybe where you know, bottom half team, maybe they move up? Or what I mean, what are you supposed to do in Pittsburgh, once great baseball town?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 11: The only thing that brings to mind that would be comparable. Remember I'm old enough to remember you were a younger child, if you were here at all. But in nineteen sixty seven or whatever it was, when the NA expanded, you had the original six and all the expansion teams went into one division six and six and that actually sparked a hockey craze in Saint Louis because the Blues were the worst of that second I'm sorry, the best of that second division. And they went to the Stanley Cup finals twice and acquitted themselves well even though they lost. So that's the only comparable thing I can think of. But here, I think is the real answer. If you're the Pittsburgh Pirates and if you're a long suffering fan, and then you're right. They have a great baseball history, they have one of the best ballparks in the major leagues, and they flounder constantly. Think about this though, Dan there are ten teams in the two central divisions in the major leagues. Only one of them is in the top half of payrolls. That's the Cubs at tenth. Next is the Tigers at seven teams. Half of the six playoff teams last year in the American League came from the al Central, the Tigers, the Royals, and the Guardians and the Twins, who have now had the trap door open on them. But the Twins were barely outside that group. They were alive in the last week other than the Cubs. In theory, who is going to greatly outspend the Pirates in the National League Central. One of the things that mitigates the admittedly large payroll gaps in the major leagues is the third wild card. You know, whether you like it or not, you can say, hey, if we can win eighty five eighty six games, we got a chance to get into the postseason. And the history shows even the Dodgers they lost to the Padres two three years ago, they lost to the Diamondbacks, and they were down two to one to the Padres last year before they rallied to win the division Series. It's not a guarantee that the best teams and the highest payroll teams make it through to the World Series if you can just get into that tournament. So I don't want to be harsh, but what's the Pirate's excuse. They play a huge percentage of their games within the National League with other teams that aren't running away from them payroll wise, and you've got a second and third wild card. You don't have an excuse to get this bad this consistently for this long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't know what you know, Derek Shelton was supposed to do. You know, yeah, you do have a couple of players, and we tend to look at these teams. Some of these teams, we go, point, who's he going to be with his next contract? You know, Paul Skins is not going to retire at Pittsburgh Pirate, which now is not it's a shame, but you know, that's just modern day baseball here.
Speaker 11: Yeah it is.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 11: On the other hand, if Derek Shelton was lucky enough to have management like the Colorado Rockies have. And this is not a knock on Bud Black at all. Bud Black is a very respected baseball guy as a pitching coach and as a manager and he had the Rockies in the playoffs several years ago. But they start out with no chance. They leave spring training with no chance. But they don't have the benefit, if you want to call it that, of being in a weaker division. They're in a division where the other four teams vary from good to very very good, and they're playing a huge number of their games in that division and they're like one hundred and eighty games out. Even though it's only one two game season.
Speaker 4: They got six wins so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was wondering about the timing of show, Hey, Otani coming back to pitch and if if you're the Dodgers, you don't want to push this, And if you're Otani, I know that that's your identity, but still, I mean there's a real risk here. If I'm the Dodgers, I don't want to lose you as a hitter, and having you as a pitcher, I may not need you as much as a pitcher. But I don't know if Otani's locked in and says, hey, but this is who I am. I'm the two way player and I want to continue to do this.
Speaker 11: I think there is an element to that, and it's part of what leads him to sign with whatever team he signs with. Obviously, the Dodgers had the greater financial wherewith all of them able to structure the deal that worked. But part of it is I want to do both, so I don't think they can deny him that. But they do have this luxury, whatever it is. The Dodgers are a great organization, but they have injuries to their pitching staff every year. Every team does, but they have them out of all proportion. They'll start out with ten guys, all of whom could be in at least some team's rotation. Now four of them are healthy, and even when we get to October, we're throwing bullpen games in the playoffs. So I don't know what they're doing with their medical staff or their training staff, but at least they have this. They're so good even in that division that they can slow walk a lot of guys. Clayton Kershell through like six to seven perfect endings the other night in the minor leagues. They're slow walking him back, and who knows, he may be a reliever for them rather than a starter. And maybe the answer for Otani is, we don't want you to go out there looking to throw six innings, which is the modern complete game. Maybe we use you out of the bullpen, and that's the way to do it. But they have the luxury of knowing they're going to be in October, be playing in October, and just trying to pull it all together by then. They don't have to pull it all together by the All Star break.
Speaker 2: Talking to Hall of Fame broadcaster Bob Costas, who haven't you interviewed or who have you interviewed?
Speaker 4: You'd like maybe another sit down with well, you know, the.
Speaker 11: Holy grail has always been Sandy Kofax in sports. Sandy was always very very gracious to me. I asked him a couple of times. This goes back more than twenty years, and he never had someone else make the call. He always called me back personally and he said, if I ever do it, I'll do it with you. And after a while I began to realize I'm at the front of a line that never moves. Thanks that, I thought, Sandy. But he did do one thing with us, and I thought he might for this specific reason. All Star Game in Cincinnati a decade ago, and they named them Mount Rushmore of Living baseball players, and it was Willie Hank joh Bench and Kofax, And I said, Sandy, if it's just the four of you and you're talking amongst yourselves.
Speaker 4: Will you do it?
Speaker 11: And he did and he was great in that sit down anecdotal joking with the guys. You could see they were energized, and all I had to do was just toss it out there and then sit back and let them talk among themselves. So I think Kofax would be one of the guys in sports. You know Jack Nicholson who's in the winter of his years now and seldom appears in public. But Jack Nicholson fascinating guy, enormous star for thirty forty years. He always said, I don't do television interviews. I'm a movie star. Leave your house, you go into a darken theater, you pay your money, the phone doesn't ring, and you sit there and watch me on a big screen. Why do I want to be sitting with Johnny Carson while you're looking through your toes as you're lying in bed. But I'm not going to do that. It diminishes the mystique. So the only time you saw him on television regularly was sitting courtside at a Laker game. So it brings me to this nineteen ninety two NBA Finals Portland against the Bulls and Nicholson is shooting in HAFA on site in Chicago. So he's Jack Nicholson. He can get good seats. They weren't at half court. They were on the base line underneath one of the baskets, and Dick Eversol and Terry o'deola were the producers. They spot him there and I'm not calling the games, Marvis calling the games. I'm upstairs at the old Chicago Stadium to do the pregame and the halftime. So they say, Bob, do you know Jack Nicholson, Well, i've met him, I don't know him not. Well, go down and ask him if he'll come on at halftime. I'm like, this is the greatest fools errand.
Speaker 4: Of all time.
Speaker 11: Don't you know that Johnny Carson just left the Tonight Show and he wouldn't go on the last book with Johnny Carson When people were lined up around the block to make one more appear, go down, you owe it to us, Go okay? Fine, So I slept myself down and I wait for the four minute time out and I walk up behind him Dan, I swear I tap him on his right shoulder and he turns around like this, and the first glimpse of him is like the first time you see him in the shining face. Then he softens a little bit and he goes, I wish I could to a decent of a thing. He goes, Oh, hi, Bob, Jack, just play along. Here they're watching. I'm supposed to ask you if you'll come home with us, And I swear this is what he said. Verbata makes up. I'm editing one.
Speaker 4: Word, bomby Bobby.
Speaker 11: You're a nice kid and you do good work. How can I put this no.
Speaker 4: F.
Speaker 11: Jack, I'll take that as a no during the rest of the game. Now, I got a whole ass.
Speaker 10: In time.
Speaker 4: At least he was very respectful.
Speaker 2: Yes, I told my audience to keep an eye on this because I think there's something there. When President Trump got together with Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred and this Pete Rose situation, it feels like this is something that Donald Trump wants to happen to at least get Pete on the ballot. And I think there's other things at play that the commissioner may want or need from the President as well. I think Pete's going to get on the ballot at some point. It feels like, what do you think.
Speaker 11: Two things here? First, of the ballot part, in theory, they'd have to put him directly into a Veterans committee unless they change their rule, okay, because anyone who is more than fifteen years removed from having played can't be on the ballot. And of course if you were on the ballot for ten years, then you wait a little while and they throw you into a veterans committee. Now, if they're going to take Pete off the restricted list or whatever it is, the ineligible list, then in theory they could also say, wait a minute, he was never on the writer's ballot. Let's have the writers vote on it rather than sixteen people in a veterans committee situation. By the way, if you're going to take Pete off on that basis, which consider taking shoeless Joe Jackson off on that basis He was briefly on the writer's ballot and didn't make it. But you could put him up for consideration too. But those are signs to your point. I don't know the specifics. I haven't talked with Commissioner Manfred about it. But you know, baseball has an anti trust exemption. The Trump administration seems quite willing to interpret things their own way so or to pursue certain legal actions that others would not. So the anti trust exemption is important to baseball. It protected them greatly before they finally Marvin Miller and company finally broke through and got rid of the reserve clause. But it still has some value to them. And then who knows. And I'm only speculating here. I'm not saying it's true. But obviously there are a great many foreign players in Major League Baseball. Does Trump's immigration policy perhaps in some way affect their com and goings. I'm not saying it does, but these are all things that perhaps Manford and Trump would would be discussing.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's how I see it. I think it's going to happen. At least, you know, Pete posthumously is going to be on a ballot, whether it's the veterans or you know, they decide to put him on the regular bound.
Speaker 4: At the writer's bound. Good to talk to you again, have fun this weekend. Thank you, buddy.
Speaker 2: It's Bob Costas ninety second Street, y in New York, City. That'll be seven Eastern coming up this Sunday as Bob looks back on his forty plus years in the business. Online in person tickets available at ninety two and why dot org. When we come back. What's going on with Bill Belichick's girlfriend at North Carolina? We have some news about that coming up.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern, six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Could be some changes at North Carolina with Bill Belichick and his girlfriend. We'll have that story for you coming up here momentarily. Craig and Wisconsin. Hi Craig, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: Dan?
Speaker 16: Could you beat Bob Costas in an arm wrestling matchup?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Given the health of my shoulder, maybe not, but I mean I would certainly try and give it my all.
Speaker 10: I was just.
Speaker 16: Curious, say, I have an idea on how we can take care of Draymond Green. I think he's an awful basketball player.
Speaker 2: No, he's a really good basketball player. He just has control issues.
Speaker 16: Well, I did a Google search for Timitt Washington and Kirmit Washington is seventy three years old, and I was thinking possibly fun office Silks, that Minnesota Timberwolves could sign him on for one game.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you.
Speaker 2: Craig Kerman, Washington punched Rudy Tom Johnovich, So I guess that's what Craig is getting to.
Speaker 4: Not funny. David in Ohio, Hi David, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 16: Hey Dan?
Speaker 21: You guys her talking about the pope, and I think it's time for Gary Doones to town for his sins, go to confessional because we've had four popes since the last Cowboys super bull degree.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you to.
Speaker 2: He's Pablo Torri, ESPN commentator, contributor to Around the Horn PTI, PTI, and Pablo Tory finds out podcast Metal Arc Media, and apparently he found out a little more than we realized about what's going on with Bill Belichick and his girlfriend at North Carolina. Pablo, good to see you. What did you find out? What did Pablo toy find out? San Good to be with you. Really good to see you as well.
Speaker 4: I on my show.
Speaker 18: For those not initiated, I take stupid things, sometimes extraordinarily seriously, and so I spent months of my life in the Jordan Hudson rabbit hole. I talked to eleven people who dealt directly with.
Speaker 4: Her, and a couple of things.
Speaker 18: Number one is that there was an enormous meeting at the University of North Carolina where the athletics department had to have a meeting with the football people and say that Jordan Hudson cannot be the face of our program anymore. She cannot be on the field, she cannot be around the building. She has taken too much when it comes to the airspace around how people think of the coach, the greatest coach in football history, arguably who when they hired him to be the highest paid coach in the history, Well, forget about any present day North Carolina stats. Just the highest paid public employee in the state of North Carolina right now. It was the opposite, right, They had no idea this was coming. Everybody is now actively worried, including I can also report members of Bill Belichick's own family that a thing that takes decades to build reputation premise on leadership and discretion and privacy and discipline and every other term, that now feels like it's the opposite of what his reputation is now in this news cycle, they feel like that's being destroyed. And it's because he gave power, the power to run his new media empire now that he has been freed from the NFL for the first time in decades. He gave that to a woman whose age has actually been misreported a lot, I also learned, but we can now say is actually today twenty four years old.
Speaker 4: Which bills reaction, any public reaction to this.
Speaker 18: It's hard to discern because she is the person who is on the emails, on the texts, is often ghostwriting, so his reaction will be mediated, I believe with her. I will point out that in New York City, where I live, on Wednesday, there was a talk that Bill gave to promote his book, The book that was disastrously you could argue non promoted at the CBS Sunday Morning Fiasco.
Speaker 4: He gave a talk and Jordan wasn't there.
Speaker 18: There might be something like a deliberate, if not not to borrow the terms of like another Hollywood separation, not quite a conscious uncoupling, but certainly a public difference in how they are presenting her omnipresence. And yeah, what I can tell you is that family members of Bill see this as something that is they have been investigating her too for a very long time.
Speaker 2: If the CBS interview doesn't play out like it did, do you think there's any change within North Carolina with her role with Bill.
Speaker 18: The fascinating thing about Belichick is that he has this inner circle people who have insulated him as best they can from all of these concerns, right, And so I'm gonna say, spoiler alert answer to your question is no. And the reason is because he is a football creature with a bunch of frankly yes men around him, Matt Patricia, Josh McDaniels. That's how they were described to me, not my editorial judgment. And the CBS thing sept Seeped has some septic but also seeping vibes to it.
Speaker 4: It got inside of his.
Speaker 18: Bubble, right that book the tabloid avalanche happening because she did something that and you know this, Dan, a SAVVYPR person doesn't do actually, which is forget that she's on tape, on camera, on Mike interjecting. And I'm told also that yes, the reports are true, that there's thirty more minutes of her interrupting, taking control of an interview that was supposed to be frankly a puff piece, an extraordinarily positive thing about this book about his leadership style, which could then be transferred to non football people.
Speaker 4: That was the premise of it.
Speaker 18: Ironically, that's what opened the floodgates, man, And at that point it became how do we deal with this? And at that point lots of people realized, now is our moment to say what we've been seeing behind the scenes, which is one of the crazier sagas.
Speaker 15: Man.
Speaker 18: I haven't even got into some of the other stuff here. If I can just give you one brief anecdote just to help illustrate the point here. There was a commercial that Belichick was filming, a seven figure commercial, not the super Bowl commercial, by the way, which we reported also Jordan Hudson insinuated herself into by representing herself as his agent to Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, a thing that afflic and Damon still talk about to this day. By the way, that she was in that commercial, that she got paid that they negotiated with her for belichick separate commercial, earlier commercial for one of the podcasts he was doing seven figure shoots scripted. She shows up, She's not a person in the public view, no CBS interview. Yet none of this stuff has happened. She shows up and she again wants to be in the commercial, and she's talking about how this would be a hard launch. That's the relationship term. I've been given a hard launch of their relationship public announcement, and she says, hold on, I have an idea. She leaves, some time passes, the shoot actually ends, the real shoot. She comes back and she's wearing a yellow polka dot bikini and a sun hat, and she wants to film a scene where she is by the pool with Bill trying to get his attention. All this again very on the nose, the meta and the real. But that happens, and everybody there is like, what do we do with this? Like this is Bill Belichick is not betraying any emotional change. She's just going along with all of this because that's him. They're realizing, and they decide we need to do the thing where we tell her we're shooting a scene. They grab a camera guy and they proceed to shoot something that I am told they're not even sure the camera was on. They point a camera, they have her do something and they say, good, yep, got it good, and that's just what it's been like. That was at the beginning of her taking control of the media empire. Everything from there is sort of flowing kind of logically once you hear about that.
Speaker 2: And I said this after the CBS interview, if Bill has any hopes of getting back into the NFL, this really hurts you because you're giving control to Bill. But are you giving control to Bill? And and I would there's no way an NFL team is gonna go, you know. I think Bill he now's the time to bring him in. But in the final thirty seconds, what do you think is next in this story?
Speaker 18: I think you're gonna see people push back on the reporting out of North Carolina that I've said, which is that there was a power struggle in which the adults had to intervene. I think there will be disagreement about that. And I think that what is happening to my phone will continue to happen, which is that it will continue to melt. I signed up for this, I get it. Aggregation interviews like this are all great. I hope people listen to the episode. But I can tell you that everybody who's dealt with Jordan Hudson and one person said, quote, she is the worst person I've ever dealt with on Earth, and I have dealt with actual sociopaths. I'm not saying that that is everybody. I'm just saying this story Dan is extreme, and there's a lot, including injectable erectile dysfunction drugs as just a brief tease for what else we had to find out.
Speaker 4: Nice, he's there, great to talk to you. Thank you, Pablo, as I always dream, and as I always dream.
Speaker 2: Of course, Pablo Tory. Pablo Tory finds Out podcast courtesy of Metal Lark Media. Oh my goodness, there's a lot going on, A lot going on. I don't even know where to start with it.
Speaker 5: It's now.
Speaker 2: I'm not surprised. I had somebody who did work with them on a potential commercial or promotional shoot and it didn't work out. But they they had problems because they were losing creative control. I'm going to dance around this a little bit, but I was given a heads up, and in fact I even told the Dans. I don't know how many months ago that was, but that was a while ago where I was giving a heads up, if you want to do something with Bill, everything goes through her, and she's got creative control. Man, all right, two hours in the books. I did not expect that story today, that's for sure. But we'll talk to Mark Messier. More phone calls coming up. It's a meat Friday. Fritzi's here, Seaton's here, Marvin Paulie yours truly two hours in the books. We're going to try to do it one more hour. Who's with me, Let's go let's go on here, we're here.