Speaker 1: Hey, it's Patrick Mooney from Northside Territory and The Athletic. He covers the Cubs.
Speaker 2: Patrick, good to see you. I know you just put something out on Justin Steele. I did want to actually start there and relate it to really what the pitching plan is going to look like for the Cubs, who actually have to still play the next month, but should be in somewhat of a postseason prep mode, too.
Speaker 1: So what are we thinking here?
Speaker 3: And I feel like start to start, you're wondering, you know, who's up, who's down, who's going to get that game one win. Simon and Kevin Gosman looked awesome Monday night at Chase Field. You had Craig Council managing with a lot of urgency the day before in Seattle and pulling Shota Minaga pretty quickly. And then they have this kind of fleet of pitchers waiting in the wings here. They got a very crowded Arizona complex of guys rehabbing and coming back and they're probably going to need some of those guys seeing as how they're, you know, likely making the playoffs as a wildcard team and having to win four rounds if they want to achieve their ultimate goal.
Speaker 4: And, you know, Steele is.
Speaker 3: One of those guys I would kind of, you know, Craig Council made a point to temper some of those expectations. You know, this is someone who hasn't pitched in a real game since April, 2025, but he's been making nice progress and, they could probably use some of his talent from the left side, particularly if they keep advancing.
Speaker 5: Patrick, would he be a bullpen option? Would they be willing to put him into the bullpen and let him pitch, even though he's mainly been a starter his entire career and he's been out for so long?
Speaker 4: Is that an option for Justin Steele?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he'd have to jump ahead of a couple guys. The Cubs are already dealing with this roster crunch. I mean, Javier Assad's been so good for them, and he just got options to AAA Iowa again. I think Ben Brown is someone who's going to factor into this as well. Today's a busy day over at the Mesa Complex. Ben Brown and Justin Steele scheduled to throw live batting practice sessions today.
Speaker 4: Edward Cabrera throwing a bullpen. They're going to have options.
Speaker 3: I think Steele's point was like, I was a reliever when I broke into the majors and did pretty good job with that. And then took, just took advantage after the Cubs, you know, did their sell-off at the 21 deadline. You know, I think Brown is the guy that is just on a quicker path back and has done both roles this year, but certainly The point I made was I was at Chase Field when Kyle Schwarber crashed into Dexter Fowler, and we thought this was a season-ending, career-altering injury, and it was just in a totally different way. He did surprise everyone and make it back, and that's why I think you have to allow for that possibility that maybe he does finally get that moment in October after what's been a really long road back from a major arm injury.
Speaker 6: All right, so you're saying Steele's going to be used for a short burst. Cabrera could be used as short bursts. Ben Brown, all those guys are used. Does that change how they would build that playoff rotation? Or do you still think if Gossman trends the way he did in his last start, he's the number one starter, and then you save all these short bursts for Boyd, for Imanaga, guys who have a tougher time third time through the order, even maybe even second time through a platoon order.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You guys know how managers run their pitching staffs in the playoffs now, like, you know, getting three and two thirds or four and a third. And, you know, there's like, you get a standing ovation, you know, walking off the field. And yes, I think Gosman and Clay Holmes were acquired to be starting pitchers in a playoff rotation and, Matthew Boyd was a Game 1 playoff starter last year, opening day starter this year, an All-Star the year before, has a nice baseline of playoff experience. I would figure that he would operate as a starter, and all these guys are going to have short leashes. You guys know how Craig Council operates. They put this puzzle together. They've done a really good job with it amidst just a barrage of pitching injuries. And so you also have, you know, if you're working backwards as well, you know, Daniel Palencia just came back and he was, you know, just an electric reliever last year. He brings something totally different, you know, 100 mile hour fastball, swing and miss stuff. Jacob Webb has been really good in the interim as a closer. And so while I feel like I'm being way too positive for AJ's taste, I feel like they will have a lot of options and they can see if it works down the stretch here.
Speaker 6: AJ is not a negative person. How dare you offend my friend like that? He's just not a positive person towards the Cubs.
Speaker 4: That's it. Gotcha. That's fair. That's totally fair. That's totally fair.
Speaker 6: Is there a drop-dead date on any of these guys because they're filtering into a new role in the sense of if Edward Cabrera's bullpen, you know, this whole thing slowly and we get to September 15th, You can't just throw starters into the pen and be like, you get one outing, and then we need you in the playoffs. That's not the reality that we live in.
Speaker 3: Eric, I think you could probably speak to this even better than I could, that Craig Council is a very direct communicator. He gives players good news, bad news, whatever it is. He tells them the truth, and they've gotten some pretty good buy-in really recently.
Speaker 4: All phases of their roster.
Speaker 3: Obviously, Ian Happ wants to be playing every single day, but they went out and acquired a nice role player at the trade deadline. That cuts into his playing time. David Peterson, we haven't even mentioned him yet. He kind of saved this rotation when they acquired him from the Mets in late June, and he got bounced after the trade deadline to make room for Cabrera, and he got You know, four big outs in a win over the White Sox at Wrigley Field and then went back into the rotation in Seattle and, you know, pitched a really nice game there. So, you know, if you look at this rotation right now, I think it's like five guys who've been an all-star at some point in their career, but not that traditional number one starter. You know, that's why they gave Craig Council that huge contract is to go figure it out.
Speaker 7: For the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K-12 Powered Schools. K-12 offers tuition-free accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through 12th grade. It's all in a setting that works for your family. And K-12 has been around. They've been a leader in online education for over 25 years, serving over 3 million families with flexible education options tailored to each child's needs, interests, and goals for the future. K-12's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction, and they provide real-time support. Hey, we've heard Todd Father on here talk about how his kids have gone through homeschooling, and it's really helped them for a family that is very much on the move during his playing career. So you can see how K-12-powered schools can help unlock your child's full potential. Enroll online today at k12. com slash foul. That's the letter K, the number 12, dot com slash F-O-U-L, k12. com slash foul.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well.
Speaker 5: He'll figure it out, Patrick. By the way, I'm not negative at all. And I don't even agree with that. I've been actually very positive on the Cubs for a long time. When we talked when I was at Wrigley, I said PCS would be the MVP for a while. I mean, I've been very positive on the Cubs for this entire year or so. I don't appreciate that, Patrick. But what I don't understand is Craig Council the other day took Shodan Minaga out.
Speaker 4: After, what was it, two and a third?
Speaker 5: Two plus two plus yeah two plus yeah and they and and he's like okay with the three run lead and he's like all right we're it's go time so is he just prepping for the playoffs and by the way before you answer this question cub fans when they released jameson tyon i said jameson tyon has been serviceable they annihilated for me for saying that their big stat that they said was he had given up so many home runs should aminaga has given up 30 home runs should they release him too.
Speaker 3: Uh, no, they shouldn't. He's been their best pitcher this year.
Speaker 4: Oh, I mean, he's been the most consistent thing. Home runs aren't the most. Okay. Just checking. Just trying to figure this out. Cup fans love you.
Speaker 3: Well, I would actually say that. I don't, I feel like cups fans really focus on show does bad outings that, you know, his body of work over almost three full seasons in the majors has been really impressive. Uh, you know, he, He's performed at an all-star level, but he just did not have it on Sunday afternoon in Seattle. And your counsel looks at this bullpen. He's got a bunch of long relievers there. He basically said as soon as Ian Happ hit that home run. he started thinking, like, if Shota doesn't pick it up here, we're going to make a change. And his velo was down a little bit. I think it took 72 pitches to get six outs, three first-pitch strikes to 14 batters. I just think Shota, the way last season ended for Shota really just kind of stands out the way they avoided using him for that game five in Milwaukee. I don't think that's like totally fair, but like that's why they went out and got a ton of pitching at the deadline so that they would not run out, you know, almost after that wildcard round. I mean, you saw it, they kind of poured all their resources into being the Padres and then Matt Boyd, starting on short rest, game one Milwaukee, that was not a very competitive game. And even council acknowledged if they had somehow won that game five, it was really difficult to see them having enough pitching to win two more playoff rounds. And so I think that while Shota's probably not getting the ball for game one of the playoffs, I think for them to get to where they want to go, they'll need The version of him that he's been for most of his time in Chicago is just the home runs and the blowout outings really just stand out in your memory as you watch this team.
Speaker 6: Maybe a little exhausted from being used throughout the entire season, the bullpen.
Speaker 4: But hey, you know what?
Speaker 6: You just got to get hot in the playoffs. Let's go to the one big free agent acquisition that the Cubs had this offseason. You wrote an article about Alex Bregman and what he has meant to this team. Has he been worth every penny, even though his numbers wouldn't say, ooh, all-star MVP type of numbers? Has he been worth it based on the fact that this team is where they are?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess it depends on, you know, kind of what you value. And I think with Bregman, the Cubs thought he would have this high floor, you know, just with his defense at that particular position. That's a spot where you can accumulate value. and as well as they thought he would bring a ton of intangibles. And this is a very model-driven team, a very unsentimental operation, but they thought that he could be a special connector in their group. And I think he's just fit in really well in that regard. He's finally getting hot. I mean, I was there one late night at Wrigley where he spoke to a small group of us and just said, I've been terrible. Like he did the thumbs down gesture at Wrigley at one point too. It's been interesting to cover. I'm sure Cubs fans at various points were like, why were they so obsessed with this guy? Because they were over multiple off seasons as a free agent, but watching him day to day, he is a really, really nice defender at third base, a position that's been kind of hard to fill for the Cubs over the years. I think he fits well in this lineup when you piece it together kind of left-right and having different skills and different ways to beat your opponent. And he has this reputation for being a baseball gym rat and that he was not going to stop until he found that feel to have a better sense of his mechanics. And I think you're kind of seeing it now. I mean, walking away last October, I think the Cubs felt they were a little short on the position player side. They knew that Kyle Tucker was leaving and that this is the guy that they had circled. They knew kind of how weak this upcoming free agent class would be. They felt that he would just be a good solid overall investment. And I think you're, you're seeing that now.
Speaker 5: Patrick, can you do me a favor? Can you go like, can you put both hands above like this? Can you just go like this for me?
Speaker 6: Oh, why?
Speaker 4: What's this? Just, just do it. It's not bad. No, it's not a trap at all. Okay.
Speaker 5: Now last night when you were sitting in the press box, were you the one signaling to Quentin Barry when Merrill Kelly was going changeups?
Speaker 4: Okay. It was, you have like a, a flash, a pen, like the, your laser pointer.
Speaker 3: Uh, no, it's hard to hear to like, uh, you know, hear your own thoughts at Chase Fields sometimes. Cause they have a lot of piped in noise and things like that. But, uh, yeah, that was a good one. I actually noticed it more, uh, on the foul territory popped up on my, uh, Twitter field there, uh, Twitter feed there. Um, you know, I would actually like Eric's thoughts on this because I feel like he's been on the show before saying how the Brewers were pretty good at, uh, you know, finding the Cubs weaknesses in that regards when they weren't totally buttoned up. But, you know, there'll be something to follow up for sure on today. I think it's two teams competing. Craig Council called it gamesmanship that happens every single day in this league. And yeah, I'm curious what you guys as former players think. Is there anything to see there?
Speaker 6: I mean, of course, there's something to see there. But my question to you is, you've been around this team. Are they a fiery, feisty team that when the Diamondbacks throw at one of their players today, they will just say, eh, whatever? Because you sense those kinds of things when you're in a clubhouse talking to both teams. Do you think there will be some type of retaliation? Do the Diamondbacks do something tonight and the Cubs, what's their reaction to it?
Speaker 3: I don't know the Diamondbacks well enough in that regard. I do feel like these are two teams competing for a playoff spot. I think the Cubs in general, like this group, why Bregman was such a fit is because they do have these baseball gym rats who do like to study the game and kind of obsess over their craft and look.
Speaker 4: At the finer details. Within the game, this is not a group.
Speaker 3: That all shows up on the late bus or is kind of just sitting at their lockers looking at their phone for hours and hours before the game.
Speaker 4: They're pretty engaged.
Speaker 3: I think if you look at Quentin Berry's resume, the job that he carved out in the majors required as a designated pinch runner on some great teams required a really high level of attention to detail um so yeah i'll certainly be asking around about that uh today as when we were in the clubhouse i was in the cubs visiting clubhouse so i wasn't really aware of uh kelly's comments until my colleague at the athletic johnny floris alerted me he wrote up a good story uh on the athletic and i would recommend you check that out i think it's It'll be fun to watch tonight. I feel like at Chase Field when the Cubs come into town, there's usually a couple unusual things that happen. We'll see how much spillover there is tonight.
Speaker 2: And we're going to continue this combo with AJ and Kratz. We have that Merrill Kelly sound too. So we'll let Patrick jump and get ready for the next round of a potential boxing match with those two.
Speaker 1: Patrick, thank you. Appreciate you.
Speaker 4: You got it, guys. Thank you. Bella.
Speaker 1: Bella.
Speaker 4: Bella, where?
Speaker 6: I don't know where Bella is, but I know how to take care of my pup.
Speaker 2: Crats, while you find Bella, today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program. The ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pet's particular quirks. Because let's be honest, vet bills can add up. And when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible vet bills directly into your bank account so you can get back to focusing on what really matters, your pet. To explore coverage, visit aspcapetinsurance.com. That's aspcapetinsurance.com. The ASPCA is not an insurer and is not engaged in the business of insurance. Hey, let's talk to Marty Caswell about the new look San Diego Padres.
Speaker 1: You can hear her on Friar Territory, of course. Marty, great to catch up with you again.
Speaker 2: I say new look because, I don't know, do we want to go the route of how well the team is playing in August, best team in baseball this month, and how it correlates with the ownership group taking over? Let's start with the ownership group because you were at the pomp and circumstance, right, yesterday.
Speaker 1: So how was it? How are the new owners making themselves seen and heard on day one?
Speaker 8: Hi, Scott. Hi, Eric. And hi, AJ.
Speaker 9: I have never been to a press conference like that in my entire life. And I've covered, I told this to Prowler afterwards, I've covered like hundreds of press conferences. And it started differently with like this music, this energetic music. And it's something that Kwanzaa Jones, the co-owner of the Padres, produced and wrote. And she was apparently inspired by a key phrase from a grand slam that Fernando Tatis robbed. So it was unlike anything I've ever seen at Petco Park. The enthusiasm coming from her was just contagious. The vibe that she and her husband, Jose, the synergy they had, it was a lot.
Speaker 8: Of fun to watch.
Speaker 9: So if you're a Padres fan watching it, They hit all the right notes. They said all the right things, wanting to go ahead and win, invest in San Diego, invest in the Padres, and also honor Peter Siler's legacy. So they hit all the right notes. It was a pretty fun day until the game started.
Speaker 5: Marty, one thing they said that was interesting, you said they want to win, but they said they want to win, what is it?
Speaker 4: I forget the exact, responsibly? Yes. Right? Not like Peter.
Speaker 1: Judiciously.
Speaker 9: Yeah, because they were asked about, you know, because Peter Seidler was aggressive in free agency, right?
Speaker 8: This is the guy that wasn't afraid to go ahead.
Speaker 9: And throw $ 300 million at Manny Machado and then, oh, by the way, give him another 10-year extension. This is the guy who went after Xander Bogarts. This is the guy who flew out, who sent his private jet to pick up Aaron Judge and try.
Speaker 8: And sign him. So, So Peter Seidler was.
Speaker 9: Aggressive, and the line that stood out to me was they were going to go ahead and spend within their means. I'm waiting to find out what that means. I know Padres fans are as well. They've paid $ 3. 95 billion for the Padres, and what we know about them right now, they are the richest ownership group the Padres have ever had. So perhaps within their means could mean something good. We're not going to find out, though, until the offseason really kicks in.
Speaker 8: I hope they spend though.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we all hope they spend because San Diego is an awesome place to watch a game. It's incredible. But what I want to know is, did you get a bonus? Because apparently you get a bonus. I get a bonus.
Speaker 4: Scott gets a bonus. The usher in the ticket thing gets a bonus, right?
Speaker 5: The scoreboard operator, the guy who paints the foul poles gets a bonus.
Speaker 4: And Marty, did you get a bonus?
Speaker 8: I should get a bonus.
Speaker 9: I'm going to go ahead and check my inbox after this and see if I'm getting a share. I did see that story that every full-time and part-time employee of the Padres is going to get a bonus because the partners of the Padres, those who have shares in the Padres, are contributing towards a bonus pool.
Speaker 8: And they're all going to make some money. What a nice gesture on the way out.
Speaker 9: I like that.
Speaker 4: Everybody likes Christmas money. I did not.
Speaker 1: Kratz, she does get a bonus, actually. Just bring it in for a sec.
Speaker 2: I heard the bonus for you, Marty, is that you get an exclusive interview with A.J. Preller at some undetermined time.
Speaker 4: Good luck.
Speaker 9: It's going to happen. I'm going to follow this. I will break this man down. I got him on camera. I let him know he's under oath.
Speaker 8: And he did say, okay, Friar Territory won't be this week. It'll be next week.
Speaker 9: But he did mention they've got a tough, you know, wildcard chase going.
Speaker 8: He'll come on. Big fan of the show.
Speaker 4: 100%.
Speaker 9: What's the one burning question you'd want to ask AJ Preller when that time does come?
Speaker 4: Why he won't come on foul territory?
Speaker 1: That's the one burning question.
Speaker 4: That's the one burning question. Because then if we get him on, we can ask him like 20 questions. Right.
Speaker 5: And by the way, Marty, I just wanted to say this. When I saw Preller in San Diego, last time I was in San Diego, it was last year now. I talked to him and I said something to him about coming on. He's like, Oh no, you know, I don't really watch those shows. I don't, I don't really know what you're talking about. And then two minutes later in the conversation, he's like, but I saw this thing that you said on your show. And I was like, wait.
Speaker 4: I thought you didn't watch.
Speaker 5: It was Ken and I were talking to him and he dresses like a surfer guy. I mean, he's got the San Diego vibe down.
Speaker 4: I'll give him that.
Speaker 8: Definitely.
Speaker 9: You guys are the right guys to ask this question. When players say, because Manny Machado is the ultimate guy who'll say, I don't pay attention to what they say on social media. This is a guy that deleted his Instagram account, I think, last year. But Manny Machado sees and hears everything because when he's mad at us, he will say, but you guys said this and you guys don't believe in us. So when players say they don't hear it, they don't read it, they don't.
Speaker 8: Pay attention, I don't believe you. They see everything. And so does AJ Prowler.
Speaker 6: Marty, AJ watches all your stuff. And so when AJ watches this interview, just make sure he knows that we will mic each other up and he and I will play one-on-one basketball at his, whatever court he chooses so he can have home field advantage. And I'll ask questions while I lock him down on, in a one-on-one game. So we meet him at his court.
Speaker 9: You think you could take him because this, this is, this is the base. This is how you loop him into an interview.
Speaker 8: You've seen him.
Speaker 4: I've seen it.
Speaker 6: I've seen it back in 2016. I mean, there's a difference in height and defensive ability. So he's a good player. He's a good player, but we're not playing horse. He would beat me in a game of horse. But anyway, AJ, thank you for watching Marty's stuff. But now I have to ask the team on the field. Because Steven Souza was getting absolutely ripped, asked if he should be fired, the hitting coach for the Padres, should Steven Souza get a three-year extension based on the changes that he made during the All-Star game?
Speaker 9: Okay, Eric, I don't know that the Padres ever give three years extensions to their hitting coach.
Speaker 8: The advice I always give.
Speaker 9: Them is you don't buy, you rent in San Diego because you never know. They've got, I think I've counted, they've gone through like 14 different hitting coaches, like in the, I'm not sure under AJ Prowler, but like in the Petco Park area, it's a revolving door there. And by the way, I know when, when Craig Stammen was asked about, you know, the adjustments, like what's been changing for Neno Tatis, And he credited Steven Souza, but he also credited another hitting coach, Rolo Padron, and the impact he's had on these players. So I don't think it's any one guy. They'll talk about players now buying into the message and taking the information and executing.
Speaker 8: But I don't know.
Speaker 9: Again, it can be feast or famine. They can go from one series looking like the best offensive team in baseball, and then they can have a night like last night where they struggle to go and execute and do anything with runners in scoring position.
Speaker 8: So he does get credit. Does he get credit? Yes, because he got a ton of blame.
Speaker 9: But you have players like Ty France and Gavin Sheets who are crediting Steven Souza for his consistent messaging and what he is teaching them.
Speaker 8: So it remains to be seen.
Speaker 9: But no, the Padres never give extensions to their hitting coaches because that is the ultimate revolving door.
Speaker 4: All right, Marty, last one real quick.
Speaker 5: Since Don and mud, Don or solo and mud have been mud grant, have been awarded for the second year row as the best local television announcers. Can Don or silos mug fit through the doors of Petco park when he walks around now?
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know. That dome is still fits.
Speaker 8: It still fits. It still fits. Now if he, Yes, he's a gem. Maybe you get his bobblehead.
Speaker 9: They are so wildly popular that not only do they have the Don and Mud first bobblehead night a couple of weeks ago, but by popular demand, it's returning in a couple of weeks. So Don and Mud, they're quite the pair together, but I think for him, the ultimate prize isn't winning best broadcaster. It's catching the big fish. If you follow Don or Solo on IG, you will always see when he's catching in the waters off the Coronado.
Speaker 8: His big one's about fishing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, his big one is about this big, too, by the way. His big one is about 8 inches, 9, 10 inches.
Speaker 5: Because he calls his mini-yacht, and he can't take more than one person on his mini-yacht because the weight limit is like 300 pounds. I'm like, Don, why can't we go fishing? And Don said, well, the weight limit on the mini-yacht is like 300 pounds.
Speaker 1: It's a one-seater?
Speaker 4: Well, it's a two-seater, but they better be small people. And Don isn't exactly... Checking in at about 120.
Speaker 8: No, he's lost some weight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he's still not 120.
Speaker 9: Not 120, but he's felt.
Speaker 8: He's buying into the San Diego lifestyle.
Speaker 1: He's eating like me. Marty, thank you so much. Good to see you.
Speaker 8: Great seeing you guys.
Speaker 4: Marty, tell Don I asked that too, by the way.
Speaker 1: Marty and Darren. Friar Territory, part of the FT Network.
Speaker 4: New ownership group.
Speaker 1: They talked about it.