Speaker 1: If you really value what your children learn, you will continue teaching them after school.
Speaker 2: That's a whole fact because when you look at the curriculum nowadays, now that you're awake, your eyes are open to certain things. You're just like, damn, how long are you going to continue these lives?
Speaker 3: Dead Ass just saying wow.
Speaker 1: It all started with real talk, unfiltered, honest and straight from the heart. Since then, we've gone on to become Webby Award winning podcasters in New York Times bestselling authors.
Speaker 2: Dead Ass was more than a podcast for us. It was about our growth, a place where we could be vulnerable, be.
Speaker 4: Wraw or but most apportly be us.
Speaker 2: But as we know, life keeps evolving and so do we. And through it all, one thing has never changed.
Speaker 4: This is.
Speaker 5: Because we got a lot to talk about.
Speaker 1: Story time. I'm going to take y'all back to October two thousand and nine. We didn't even have any children yet. Oh, we only had god children. And one of our godsons was doing a story on Christopher Columbus and we were there, you remember this, and he was like, Uncle Devo, do you know about Christopher Columbus? Because he was learning in school. It was elementary school. I said, yes, do you know about Christopher Columbus? He said yes, and he told me the story about the Pilgrims and how they shared food the Indians and.
Speaker 3: The Indians and all of these things.
Speaker 1: And I said, you know what, Nick, you know what else Christopher Columbus did to the Indians. He was like what I said, he marked them? And you remember, Christina was like Devo and I was just like, what he merked them?
Speaker 3: He Christopher Columbus was not a nice guy that came.
Speaker 1: Over here to share food in that that knowledge and knowledge with the natives here in religion.
Speaker 3: That's not what he came to do. And he was like he was like for real.
Speaker 1: And I was like, yeah, let's sit down and talk about it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, karaoke time. Yes, yes, this song came to mind when I thought about like the kids and stuff like that. And dev I was like, he's never heard this song before. And I don't know if you guys have never heard this song before, but it was with Tevin Campbell, Quincy Jones. It was like a bunch of kids singing. No one has ever seen a video called Tomorrow. You know what're talking about? Man, you do Okay, so that's crazy. Oh yeah, you are a musician. That is true. But it goes like it goes like this tomorrow will bring a better you, a better me. I know that wall. You know, well, we could be better. Get up, get out, get into it. I forget all the words to it.
Speaker 5: It was very much like a chorus thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and we have you now with the with the we have everything. Make sure you get me me with the shower.
Speaker 2: Cap the podcast me not say what's up?
Speaker 3: That's what's up? Come say sorry to the podcast. Family, come.
Speaker 1: Doing stuff like we need I know, so y'all see what happens on ellis of a raptor. This is really a family environment because maybe gonna come down in the middle of the podcast.
Speaker 5: You're really working the chicken salad you want to do with the shower ca but that goes to show ma me takes care of you.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get my chicken salad. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that was my song. You better get up, get out, get into it to be strong.
Speaker 5: If we try, we will.
Speaker 3: They made yes that choir.
Speaker 5: Yes, absolutely, it was a great song.
Speaker 3: It was a great song. Kudos to you.
Speaker 6: It's a nice falsetto sounded just like the song talking about it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, man, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I love a false settle. Honey, I don't even know what that means.
Speaker 1: But you know, hey, you know false You don't know, Oh, I just know the song.
Speaker 5: There's a song called for settle is a false actor.
Speaker 2: That's in the settle, like.
Speaker 5: A false there you so it's a false actor.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you. I'll be hitting it's a false settles.
Speaker 5: Think about it, all right, y'all, let's take a quick back. We'll be back with op or no stick around. All right, we're back. Paddles up everyone, what you got for us today?
Speaker 2: Trips?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 7: I keep running across this kind of ridiculous story.
Speaker 3: The algorithm.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the timeline that a professional corn hole player who is also a quadruple a quadruple amputee, has been charged with murder in a Maryland in Maryland following a fatal shooting during an argument inside a vehicles.
Speaker 4: That's what I've said.
Speaker 7: He has no arms, no leg this is real, but somehow he also played cornhole.
Speaker 4: So like you can do a corn.
Speaker 3: Hole because all you got to do is put the thing together. And throw it.
Speaker 7: Okay, so like doing this, like how did he pull the trigger and hit somebody?
Speaker 4: Can't he murdered them?
Speaker 2: What kind of are you? They got into?
Speaker 8: What's your aim? Like, sir?
Speaker 2: The thing is they do say if someone is you know, for example, don't have arms or legs, that their other senses and like their sense of like I guess precision maybe with other things are like heightened sense.
Speaker 3: The sense of precision. I know that.
Speaker 2: But what I was saying is, Okay, yes you have heightened things, but I'm saying similarly to having heightened senses.
Speaker 3: Maybe because he didn't have hands and feet, maybe.
Speaker 5: That precision was like that, like it's heightened.
Speaker 4: But how did he pulled the trigger? Kadeen? You think he had especially made because I.
Speaker 7: Don't know what the weapon was made Arsenal Yeah, and then get this listen how.
Speaker 3: I got no I'm gonna tell you why I got no. Op. The world is extremely sensitive, yep.
Speaker 1: And I don't even know if you can say quadruple amputee without offending somebody, So I don't want to offend nobody.
Speaker 3: So you know what I'm gonna do. Nohow.
Speaker 7: But he's alleged murderer, so allegedly because you know what, allegedly, but there was two other people in the car.
Speaker 8: This is weird, crazy. You couldn't driving.
Speaker 4: He was already was driving. I'm pretty sure he was driving. It's it's all wrong.
Speaker 9: You driving, you shoot somebody, and you cannot be two people.
Speaker 4: Two other people were in the car at the time.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Well, this is what happened.
Speaker 3: He was driving.
Speaker 4: He was driving and killing some and killing somebody.
Speaker 7: And then after he killed the dude, he told the two other people pulled over and told the two other passers to help him get the body out of the car, and the other two passengers were like, nah, man, this is where we draw the line. And they got out and called the police, and he kept driving and then dumped the body elsewhere.
Speaker 5: He don't.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: It's got to be a movie.
Speaker 1: It needs it's got to be a movie, because I want to know how. I have questions and I don't know how to offend people.
Speaker 3: But I got a lot of questions. I don't know how to not offend.
Speaker 4: I got a lot of questions, more questions than opinions.
Speaker 3: Opinions. Yeah, I don't have no opinion. I want to know things. I got to see the play of how I got to see the gun?
Speaker 5: Yeah, or maybe the gun. Maybe there's like a special apparatus, can attachment.
Speaker 4: He could have had it.
Speaker 7: He could have had that because disabled people do exist, that's what they say.
Speaker 4: You know, things are made for disabled people. So maybe.
Speaker 3: Hit him up, Josh, you going to hell.
Speaker 8: I'm not going to know.
Speaker 3: I really do. Got a lot of questions because I know what they was beefing about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where was the dude in the car for him to be driving and be like, you know what, I can't take this ship no more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and everybody was so like scared of him that there was like, yo, he shot home where I'm not going to be accomplics like I'm like.
Speaker 4: Anything. They just got out because.
Speaker 2: They probably was shook.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 7: Maybe it was like that scene on pulp fiction when this don't sound John Travalta accidentally shot the dude in the backseat.
Speaker 4: He just turned around like this.
Speaker 1: We're going to wake up tomorrow and find out that all of this was ai and someone put this on threads and now it's a conversation that could I'm telling you there's no way a quadruple amputee while driving shot somebody and then got rid of the body without being.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, here's something that we haven't thought of.
Speaker 7: Maybe he's a quadruple amputy, but maybe he wears prosthetics, right, that could be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can have prosthetics, but you can't there's no control over the process.
Speaker 2: They have prosthetics now, Yeah, how.
Speaker 6: They're gonna do that if he has no.
Speaker 1: You can het nubs though, don't because the guy I saw with the the corn hole had nubs.
Speaker 3: He didn't have the hand. I know what you're talking. We're talking about the hands that work. Yeah, the brain. The guy I saw didn't have the hands.
Speaker 8: He for the special Olympics.
Speaker 7: You can't use prosthetics probably, but for life, for life, maybe he does.
Speaker 6: I'm just trying to think. If you have how do you control the prospect other than just being with the brain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have nerves still they have they make it work.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I've seen I've seen some new technology where they put new prosthetics on like war vets and now the hand can move like this and connection.
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, I got the video.
Speaker 3: You got video.
Speaker 9: I got a video of him loaded. He loaded the gun, loading a gun four times?
Speaker 8: Wow, I'm looking at he is he?
Speaker 3: So it's not enough. It's numb with fingers. It's a number fingers he got.
Speaker 5: So, like I said, you could take fingerprints and be like, is it him?
Speaker 4: It's definitely him.
Speaker 8: I don't know if his fingers.
Speaker 4: No, it's not.
Speaker 6: Enough to pull the trigger.
Speaker 8: Oh, son is nice though, Yeah, he's Jason born with no arms.
Speaker 3: Wow, Josh, I'm not doing this with you.
Speaker 8: He's a murderer.
Speaker 3: Have feelings, and you shouldn't offend murder.
Speaker 8: Can we cut this?
Speaker 3: I just didn't know that. I didn't see in the video now.
Speaker 2: Right that that was possible.
Speaker 4: I didn't know it was possible either.
Speaker 7: And I'm I've just been shocked and I needed to talk about it.
Speaker 6: But seeing this now it makes sense. Yeah, this makes sense. When he is nice, he busting shots, he's going too.
Speaker 3: So then then you my thing is talking. Nobody to call you to stop him?
Speaker 8: Bro?
Speaker 3: Like I know it's scared. Yeah, he nice the cornhole too, Yeah, and apparently shooting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, your marks.
Speaker 3: Fucked up right now?
Speaker 2: Well, Jesus Christ something every day?
Speaker 4: Yeah, another thing I saw on dreds Is.
Speaker 7: A man was asking on threads for adult women who had their fathers in their lives from very young, how did your father punish you?
Speaker 4: Because he's wondering.
Speaker 7: He's a big guy, he's six seven and he has a daughter and he's like, I don't want to put my hands on her.
Speaker 4: But my dad didn't. I didn't get punished. I mean he put I was on punishment like twice in my life.
Speaker 1: This is going to lead to a bigger problem. Watch because what you just said is what I saw this. My dad didn't punish my sister. See how that turns out like something my dad in the discipline too.
Speaker 5: My dad didn't punish me, but my mother would lay into me.
Speaker 3: So me was no joke.
Speaker 5: I think it's a differring thing that happens again.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, now we're speaking about two parent household because were spoken about this in a previous episode. But when you have, for example, the dad in the house and the mom, if the dad doesn't want to be that physical presence that's intimidating and the daughter potentially can fair, then you defer to the mom.
Speaker 6: Did that affect how you take criticism from men and women I think.
Speaker 2: I just took criticism in general not in the best way because I wasn't used to it, particularly from my dad. My dad is you know, you know, it's easy going, so you know, hearing it from the man when yeah, I guess you're right, Matt. When when I not think about it, when time came for Devo to give me, you know, his feelings or critiquese some things that I did, I took offense to it. Very early on. I got offended because I'm like, you know, yeah, no one really held me accountable in that department, and for me, it was like my mom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I don't have any daughters, But I did tell okay this that I think it's important that dad's discipline their daughters, but discipline them with love, Like you don't have to physically assault your daughter to discipline them, so.
Speaker 3: You don't got to put hands on them.
Speaker 1: That also doesn't mean that you just let them do everything and leave it up to the mind, don't you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 8: Like, I don't agree with that spirit a rod and spoil the child.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: Literally, how do you work with uh toy because you have a daughter, yeah, the only child?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, she don't get no beings, man, anybody anybody touching Tori. She's feeling without touching her. Punishments withholding things, you know, groundings, stuff like that, I mean, really affects her her performance when she does something wrong. And then in conversations it's really talking about like what you're supposed to do, what you're not supposed to do, and holding her accountable for her actions.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm going to ask you. Do you hold her accountable?
Speaker 3: Because you don't.
Speaker 9: If you don't hold anybody accountable, nothing change, just not doing the same thing, especially with the child.
Speaker 8: She's so impressionable like you.
Speaker 9: For us, we just have to keep talking to her, keep telling her over and over and over, and you realize, like after a while, you see the fruits of your labor, like small things change to right to where she's like, well, now you're doing it, or she'll correct you, and she'll she'll notice the things that you're that you're doing that yeah wrong. So it's you know, hitting her or anything like that is a no no for me personally.
Speaker 8: I don't want to hit her.
Speaker 2: You know. It's funny I realized as a parent because I kind of reflected to my mom saying the same thing, like how many times do I have to say.
Speaker 5: This over and over?
Speaker 2: I say the same things over and over again, and I'm like, that's just parenthood, Like these kids are never going to get it on the first go round, the second, the third, or the fourth. It's just the continuous conversation to the point where it becomes muscle memory and then the norm.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I do think that it's important though, when we raise our daughters and our sons, because Kadeena and I have seen this with both of our families.
Speaker 3: When a little girl falls, the way people.
Speaker 1: Respond is very different than when the little boy falls, and a lot of times the same way this young man asks question, how do I raise or discipline my daughter? A lot of men don't know how to discipline their daughter without being physically abusive, because it's easy when you have a son to hit him right, Like a little girl falls.
Speaker 3: The first thing you hear me said, oh who trip you? Who pushed you?
Speaker 1: It's almost like that whatever happened, it wasn't your fault. Whatever happened, Let me fix whatever happened. And a lot of young women who are raised like that grow up believing that everything that happens to them is never their fault.
Speaker 2: You know what, I'm saying the same thing, And I think it's important for men to realize that if you don't want to raise the.
Speaker 1: Type of woman the same way we tell women, if you don't want to raise the type of man that you hate, you got to raise the type of young lady that you don't want to grow up and look at her and say I hate the way she is.
Speaker 3: You can't just let her do anything, and it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Have to be with force, like a lot of it is just accountability conversations. You cannot do that now, you know. Okay, you're gonna cry because you can't do something that's a you. Problems we are, you know, Like I really believe that. I learned that with my track girls. I had eight track girls that I trained for three years at midwould love those girls. One of them was my cousin Alicia. Shout out to my cousin Alicia. But all of those young ladies were raised with extreme discipline from their parents. Two of them came from single parent homes. Remember Max, Max, don't play no games. But all of these young women were raised yes, sir, no, sir, Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 3: No, ma'am.
Speaker 1: And they weren't physically assaulted, you know what I'm saying. Like they were just taught discipline. They used sports a lot. Me and Josh talk about that when you have a daughter, it's okay to get your daughter in sports, you know, put her in track, Let her be challenged, let her see how hard it is to do things, you know, and let her learn what teamwork means, you know. So that's what I would do if I had a daughter, first thing I'd do is put her in sports.
Speaker 2: Yeah, looking back as a woman now thinking about me as a child, that I think both men and women need to be held accountable for, or boys and girls. Is accountability. That's like a person thing. It's not a man or a woman thing, a boy or a girl thing. Like everybody needs to be accountable for their actions. And as a girl growing up, I can see how things can be off put onto other people where you don't assume responsibility because you feel like all these things have happened around me and not to me, so I'm not responsible. So when I realized that I had to take accountability for certain things in my life, that was a rude awakening for me being in a relationship with you, or just like looking at myself in the workforce, or like wanting to accomplish things in life. It's like, girl, stop blaming everybody else for the things that are not happening in your life.
Speaker 5: Chances are as you.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you said that, though, because also it's not that little girl's fault. You know who's fault.
Speaker 1: It is that she's like that society, all the people around who just tell you it's okay to get away with things. And now when she's an adult, you say you don't know how to take accountability. Well, the people responsible for teaching her the accountability didn't teach it to her, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So in a lot of ways, we have to look at ourselves that as a society and say we just have to do a better job. You don't got to physically assault that young lady.
Speaker 1: But you can hold her accountable and if her feelings are hurt, oh well.
Speaker 9: That's literally the definition of uh. You speare that rod of correction and correcting them in the moment about what they do. You're going to spoil them eventually.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 5: The rod doesn't necessarily mean an actual rock.
Speaker 1: Because we always talk about this also in the Bible. People take the Bible literally right and they say spoil a rod. That mean you're supposed to hit your kids.
Speaker 9: It's the rod of correction collections context in general.
Speaker 8: I don't even think it's literal. I think that justke That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: They just they just try to see something and say, well, this is what it is. But Na, the rod of correction. I like that better that you made that clear.
Speaker 1: The right of correction is not actually a physical rod that you're hitting your kids with.
Speaker 7: So right, So now we're talking about educating our kids beyond the classroom. Yes, and I know when we were growing up the education did come from a beating everyone and then.
Speaker 3: As absolutely, but what are you.
Speaker 7: What are y'all doing to educate your kids and what kind of things are you educating them about? Because y'all have four boys that are all like empathetic, they're all disciplined, they're very active, respectful, they're AI.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to know that the Ellis boys are not real.
Speaker 2: Answer your phone, bro, what's with the parents today? Just like completely.
Speaker 8: Your kids are Claude Gemini.
Speaker 1: I will say this publicly if people knew how extreme Kadeen and I were with our kids all the time, they probably would think that we were nuts.
Speaker 3: I correct everything in real time.
Speaker 2: Not.
Speaker 1: Intentional, not not extreme, but even the intentionality.
Speaker 3: Can be considered extreme.
Speaker 1: For example, when when I do things with Jackson and it's not even athleticism. It's a perfect example. He was doing a report, which is why I'm glad you bought this topic. You're doing a report about western expansion in sixth grade. So he comes to me and he's like, dad, checking my report.
Speaker 3: About Western expansion. So I'm going through the whole.
Speaker 1: Report, and they talked about how the Asians helped with the railroads. They talked about how white people expanded west and they gave them land and they started to cultivate the land. And I was reading everything and I said, you don't have anything in your report about your history and ancestors. And he said, well, the only thing in the textbook was a sentenus. It says they were black cowboys. I said that only so that he shows me the textbook. There's literally no mention of any indigenous black people or enslaved black people helping in Western expansion. And that textbook it just said and there were black cowboys. So in that moment, rather than say okay, well put the sentence in there, we went on a two hour history lesson on everything in black history, from reconstruction to the ending of slavery.
Speaker 3: The black clothes.
Speaker 1: Lot of people will probably be like, Okay, that was intense, and that was also a very extra But for me as a parent, I'm like, no, this is your history. For in fact, doing this history is how I found out that my ancestors are some of the very first black indigenous people from this land. Like I found that out the Perrys from South Carolina, Orangeburg, South Carolina have owned land on this continent forever and still do. There's no mention of indigenous black people in America, which is crazy to me.
Speaker 2: The lead you to believe that we all came from some portion of Africa, right it was dispersed.
Speaker 1: And this is how crazy it gets. Kadeena and I had to do a twenty three and meters for this podcast, actually, and we did the twenty three meter and it comes back that I'm eighty seven percent Nigerian, had a little Irish in there, zero percent native to America, which I know is a false, because I know my family, my mi lineage.
Speaker 3: I can go back to speak to my grandparents and they showed.
Speaker 1: Me pictures and like, well, this was your great great grandmother de La May Perry, and she's indigenous to this land.
Speaker 3: So and I said to my family, well, how come it says I'm zero percent?
Speaker 1: They all say we did the same thing, and it said we're zero percent, which means not only do you have to teach them, because it's not being taught, they're lying purposefully to us. So it's important that all of us understand who we come from, how we got here, and what those boats actually mean. So when you ask me, like one of my teaching my boys, the first thing I'm teaching them is their lineage. Understand who you come from and how you got here, because once you understand that, then you can start getting into the other things.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 2: Chiro just did a project on Niagara Falls. They need to do like a trifold, you know, like a big almost like a science project. But it was about Niagara Falls and he read in the book and one of his facts, I think the first fact he put down was that some of the first people to discover Niagara Fall were Native Americans, and Deval was like, and you make sure they know that that was your family, Yes, that was your fayeah, Because that's why valbul gets so offended when people like, I know you got into an argument one time with somebody in college, because you know several times, actually we just racist, you know, white boys that are just like go back to Africa if you don't like it here in America, and the will be like, Nigga, I was here first, My people were here, yes first, yes first.
Speaker 5: So it's been interesting with the boys and us.
Speaker 2: As Deval continues to kind of dissect and kind of put together his family tree and connect the dots. It's been interesting to see more and more how his eyes light up when he's just like, yo, they really have been out here trying to erase history, erasing history and trying to make it seem like whatever it is to support the narrative of the fact that we weren't here first is it's insane to see when you know your actual facts.
Speaker 1: So this is important for people to know. And I'm going to read this so that it's not coming from my mind.
Speaker 3: Based on historical records.
Speaker 1: The photographer known for documenting Native American life in the early twentieth century.
Speaker 3: Often used staged or made up scenes was Edward S.
Speaker 1: Curtis. While Curtis was funded by JP Morgan, not a rock child, but JP Morty. He was known for creating a romanticized vision of Native Americans, often using his own props, clothing, and staging to remove signs of modern life from his photographer photographs. You know what they found of those old Natives that weren't manufactured photos. You know who those old natives were? Black people, same headdressing, same things that they stole from the natives, all of the you know, oh lord, they tried to make fun of those are all just black Americans.
Speaker 9: There's a book that I purchased a while ago called they Came Before Columbus, Yes, which talks about black people being in America for Columbus even discovered it much, even much, even even talking about the slave trade, like we were here long before Columbus ever discovered America. So, I mean, they're always going to try to erase our history.
Speaker 1: The paper genocide, the four million people that they said came from Africa here to America, and they said a million of them died during reconstruction, during the war. It was just like, there's no transcripts of four million people coming from Africa to America. So where did these four million black people come from? And then when I asked, my family, we own land in South Carolina? Still, where did this land come from? All my grandparents' aunts, great aunts, we've always had this land.
Speaker 3: They come from anybody?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my midwife, Takia, she ended up leaving Brooklyn and when she retired and she moved to South Carolina, and she said, we literally have over like I to forget how much, maybe sixty acres of land here in South Carolina that we just said, you know, we're going to homestead and compound and his her mom both to.
Speaker 5: House or sister build a house.
Speaker 2: And she's like, this is just land that we've had passed down from generation to generation to generation.
Speaker 1: So the first thing when we talk about what we teach our boys is who they are, so they have a sense of awareness.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The second thing for me is a dad, and I talked about this before, is emotional stability.
Speaker 3: Growing up, me and my brothers were somewhat of crash outs.
Speaker 1: Like we fought, we fought each other, we fought outside, we thought other people. It was just if you grew up in the nineties in Brooklyn and you were a latch key kid, you had to protect yourself because your parents weren't there.
Speaker 3: Y'all grew up the same way you.
Speaker 1: Grew up in Brooklyn. You know you feel for me. My crash outs came out of fear. It was like, I'm a smaller person compared to these dudes. I'm gonna show them how bad I am before. So someone says something crazy to me, then that means we just gonna get to fighting. And I realized that it was because I wasn't emotionally mature enough to realize that when people say stuff to you, you think that they see you right, like your insecurities and stuff that, and when they say stuff you don't realize that they're projecting their own insecure So now you're defending your insecurity. I want my boys to be mature enough to understand that. Wait a minute, I'm never gonna let somebody knock me off of my alignment. No one's gonna ever make me crash out. Man a woman, there's nothing you can ever say to me to get me acting outside of the way I want to act.
Speaker 3: So for me, outside of knowing who you are.
Speaker 1: My boys have to be emotionally secure every time they leave this house. That's the only way they can survive, right, doesn't have they come up against a police officer, another man that might be looking to take something from him, a woman that you might need to take something from them, you know what I'm saying. So for me, it's emotional security, No, for sure. I mean, you have a daughter, do you talk to I mean you do talk to her about it as.
Speaker 8: Because she emotional as hell, man, so you do it a lot.
Speaker 9: Like recently, she had an issue with Princess school where they were well she felt they were talking about her and it stemmed from like a girl misplacing her pencil and then accused my daughter of stealing her pencil. So now she's not defending herself and now they're clicking up together and they're talking about her.
Speaker 2: That's such a great thing to do.
Speaker 9: And my my take on it was is talking her through it, like understand like you can be emotional about this because it's affecting you, but to understand it's not going to stop. You're gonna deal with this at every single stage. So it's important to realize now that you can't be so attached to people if they turn on you now, it brings a reaction out of you, right, Like, I understand you love them, I understand that they're're friends. But there's a time where you're going to be You're gonna have emotional attachment to people and they're going to turn on you.
Speaker 8: How do you deal with it?
Speaker 9: And it's not a lesson not to be because you're your.
Speaker 8: Own person, right and you don't.
Speaker 9: And we talked about this also, like this is just this, This is the mark of what a leader is. You're not going to follow just because they have feelings about you that now you are going to be affected by this, and it's going to deeply affect the how you move. Yeah, like you have to still be you in that presence and feeling like everyone's turned on you. It's going to be a thing that it's not just now, Like you can't this is going to be your teenager.
Speaker 8: You're in your twenties.
Speaker 9: I say, Yo, you might be in your forties and feel like this, But how you deal with this now is going to affect how you deal with in the future.
Speaker 2: You said something really key, Josh when you said, like, this is the sign of a leader, because we've even experienced that with Jackson. I think when you teach your children about emotional security, maturity, how to handle themselves, they tend to get into spaces, which we see even with Jackson in the middle school space where his friends may be acting out, they may be acting erratic, but because he carries himself with a sense of leadership, we've heard from his teachers that when Jackson's in a space, are in a room with his peers and they may be cutting up, he will be the first one to be like, guys, stop, like what are you doing? Or if he's with his coach and the kids are like, you know, they're playing around, messing around, he's like, guys focused, like let's hurry up and get this over with. So we're trying to also implore them with the ability and the no to say, you know what, I can actually control the environment I'm in if I keep myself composedly controlled. And it's to the point now where Jackson even came to us the other day and he said, if I'm in a space that I see, I don't like what's going on, he said, I just leave, I just leave. And that's exactly that came out of nowhere, but it was like, yes, that's exactly what we're trying to teach you.
Speaker 1: I am teaching all of my boys to learn how to exist in solitude.
Speaker 3: And love themselves. Life can be lonely.
Speaker 1: When you grow up in the house where you got brothers and your dad is always on you and your mom is there, you're not used to being alone.
Speaker 3: I don't want them to grow up this happened to me.
Speaker 1: And you get to college and it's the first time you're in a dorm by yourself and your roommate don't know each other, and he's doing his thing, and you feel alone.
Speaker 3: It caused me to be depressed.
Speaker 1: Remember in college my first semester, I hated being in school.
Speaker 3: I used to go drive back.
Speaker 1: To my parents' house all the time because I just felt comfortable being around people that would reminded me of myself. Kay coming to Hatstraw was a huge reason why Hofstraw worked out for me because when she came, I had somebody here who reminded me of back home. So what I want to do is I want to teach my boys how to walk in the world alone, because it's going to come times as a man where they're not going to have anybody to rely on. I'm not always going to be here. Their brothers will be in other colleges of the places. I need them to be strong and be like, you know what, I got.
Speaker 8: This, that's leadership man.
Speaker 3: So you know, we started this with Kaz writing this book.
Speaker 1: I'm writing the book raising Kings, and then there's a chapter in there where I talk about being my brother's keeper, and I talk about how me and my brother always had each other's back to the point where it was a detriment to both of us where if something didn't happen for my brother, I felt like it was my fault. If something didn't happen or happened to me, my brother thought it was his fault. And we had to learn how to be like yo, dude, do you a young man? And I'm talking about now, we had to learn we're having conversations now where it's yo, that's your wife, your kids, handle your business, and he telling me like, yo, you handle yours. I don't want my sons to be in their late thirties realizing that right, you know, they don't know how to be alone.
Speaker 3: No, for sure, I want to teach them how to and it'll.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll alleviate years of that stress or you know that the times where maybe you guys weren't communicating effectively and it drives a wedge. Yeah, because you feel like in turn, you're responsible for your brother and all the decisions that he made. We've been working on that with Kaz because of the closeness and age between Cairo and him, and Cairo being father Abraham.
Speaker 5: The second like his dad, Cairo is.
Speaker 2: He's such a nurturer by nature, you know, So Kaz having him and then Jackson, who's like the leader of the pack, we realized how Cads just be floating through.
Speaker 3: Like he don't do floating nothing.
Speaker 4: Cas come from.
Speaker 1: Downstairs, Cairo fixed his tie, me and me putting his jacket.
Speaker 3: He will walk outside without putting his shoes on.
Speaker 1: If somebody will say, yo, put your shoes, your backpack? Oh door, where's your backpack?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 5: I'm like, are you going to school?
Speaker 8: Or what?
Speaker 3: Close the door? Cast? Oh? Yeah, It's like dude, right, you're gonna be nothing, nothing, a fucked up grown man.
Speaker 1: If we let you go through life like this and then you go to college at eighteen nineteen and you're looking for people open your doors and take your back.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get run over. That's how you become a follower. Yep, and you get run over. So now Kas, we don't.
Speaker 3: Do sh nothing.
Speaker 8: Yep.
Speaker 2: Personally, I'll be looking at Kas like and even if I give them directions, now I'd be like, repeat to me what I said, because you'll.
Speaker 5: Be looking at you and I'm like, you here ship that I just said? Just id you?
Speaker 2: I said?
Speaker 5: It went literally right over your head.
Speaker 2: So I'll be like, bro, repeat it and he'd be like, I'm like, okay, go ahead.
Speaker 8: And you're taking away the training wheels.
Speaker 1: That's what that's literally literally, oh god, that's say. Sometimes people may say it's extreme because I'm the dad that was like, you ride the bike and if you fall and cut your knee, I'm not coming over there.
Speaker 3: I'm not he fell outside doing something, Dad, my knee, I'm bleeding. Do you know where the band aids are? Do you know? Why are you coming to me?
Speaker 1: And I know a lot of people will be like, you know, he's seven, he needs some No, he need to go wipe that cut off and get back on that bike.
Speaker 10: If you could bathe you could put a band aid on man video game that you scored one hundred and sixty eight points against the cliper was last night.
Speaker 3: Just shooting. Don't get that band aid.
Speaker 5: That's when we realized. We realized that ca Cats is very much like me.
Speaker 2: We selective. You know, he's born like a week before me. That's kind of how we operate. We selected, but when we locked, and we locked it. When we ain't, we ain't.
Speaker 5: And what I'm trying to explain to him now is.
Speaker 2: What I'm trying to explain to him because I understand the detriment it was to me growing up. I'm just like, yo, there's gonna be things that you have to do in life because it's required of you. You don't have a choice, So you might as well get on the side of I'm gonna get this done effectively the first time, and so I don't do it again.
Speaker 3: What's the motto? The elis mono. We may have several, we have several We may never do what we always want to do, but we.
Speaker 5: Will always do what we have to do.
Speaker 3: That's something I tell them.
Speaker 2: All time, especially as men.
Speaker 1: Remember when Jack again, there's something, there's something we will never do what we always want to do, but we will always do what we have to do. Like you will never in your life get a chance to always do what you want to do. That's just accept that you will never be always able to do what you want to do. But those things you have to do, that is the standing. You can't drop that and say I don't feel like I don't care the things you have to do.
Speaker 3: You have to the stuff you want. If you can't, oh well, and it's not fair. I tell them, this is not fair life.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you can, you can cry all you want, but now I watched Jackson bro Jackson fourteen years old. I remember when Jackson was eleven and fell off that bike. He came up, his knees was scuffed up. He came upstairs, was riding down the hill. He had just learned to ride the bike in La and he was riding down the hill, fell boom, scuffed up. He came up odds was a little red. I said, what happens? I fell off the bike. One of the neighbors walked him up. I said, what are you done riding? He was like yeah, I said, I still see kids outside and he was like I said.
Speaker 3: Finished ride of your bike, you're gonna fall and come up here like a punk. Go finish.
Speaker 1: Didn't see Jackson for another two hours. He went back and started riding, forgot and kept riding. And the only reason why I did it is I didn't want him to be so afraid after he fell off that bike that.
Speaker 3: He never wants to go out there. And I wanted him to see that.
Speaker 1: As much as you think you're embarrassed about falling, nobody down their.
Speaker 6: Cares or probably even so.
Speaker 3: And the minute he got down and he was like, yeah, he's right, the whole world sid millions.
Speaker 2: And I got again.
Speaker 5: And I got on the saddle again. I was for my children. You did to prove it.
Speaker 3: That's why you're my dog.
Speaker 8: But that's so so part of that generational gap. Samn, you won't leave my.
Speaker 5: Hament I was reflecting.
Speaker 3: I was, I was.
Speaker 5: He was running back a wars cause.
Speaker 8: That's also a generational gap. Man.
Speaker 9: We grew up in an age where you fell off your bike, man, you just went ahead and you got back on it.
Speaker 8: You didn't care because.
Speaker 6: There's nothing to go inside and do anyway, right, So you have to read a book at that point if you made a scene out of it.
Speaker 3: Because that was me.
Speaker 6: I rode my bike around the block. I wasn't supposed to end up flipping over a gate.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 6: He was like, what are you crying for? You did something you wasn't supposed to do.
Speaker 9: You get chastised for getting hurt. These kids don't get chastise for getting hurt anymore. They get baby.
Speaker 5: That is a fact.
Speaker 9: He was still you know, nineteen nineties values in two thousand and.
Speaker 8: Are model kids?
Speaker 6: Are you stupid or something?
Speaker 3: No? You you and still the same exact values.
Speaker 1: One thing I say about our demographic is wrong about we say everything is trauma. I will, I will be honest, But I listened to a lot of millennials BRU, and I'm like, that wasn't trauma.
Speaker 3: That was good parenting.
Speaker 1: Your parents told you you couldn't go to the party because they didn't know who the people was there. That's not trauma. That's not them creating a box and putting you in the box. That's protecting you from predators. And I think that we have to stop labeling everything that happened to us as trauma. When your parents let you fall and get up on your own, that's not trauma.
Speaker 6: The internet just taking running, yes.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and everybody being so freaking soft and sensitive now to everything so offended. Oh my god, I can't believe this happened to me. It's just like then you want to complain simultaneously that the next generation ain't built like us.
Speaker 3: We wonder why, because it was respon. That's a fact. That is a fact.
Speaker 9: It's responsible for us, like over protecting and overprotecting, but it's a part of us, like shielding our kids from the realities that we also went through, Like I played in the park, crack on a crack on the ground, like crack vials. Right now, my daughter doesn't have to deal with that at all anymore. And she thinks we're being overprotective.
Speaker 8: You ain't going on sleepover since no, No, I don't know. You're just not doing it.
Speaker 5: You're not doing it.
Speaker 2: The COLDA literally came home last night, was like, Mom, I want to have a sleepover. I said, with who Olivia? I said absolutely, yeah, I said sleep I said, we don't do sleepovers.
Speaker 5: You can tell Olivia.
Speaker 8: Yea, Olivia, that's.
Speaker 5: What I want to know. I said, it could be Olivia, it could be Olive. O. We don't do sleepovers, sir.
Speaker 2: So he was like, okay, Mom, no dramatic shoulders and everything, And I said, you let Olivia know that we don't do sleepovers in our house and he's like, okay.
Speaker 3: I will say.
Speaker 1: This is one thing that I noticed about social media. You know who controls social media and the narratives, it's typically fifteen, fifteen, and thirty, right, But those are people who haven't lived enough life yet to understand. So all of these stuff that they're saying is trauma right between fifteen and thirty. My parents are so best trauma. Once they become older than thirty and they have kids, that's when the tune changes and it's like, wait a minute, that wasn't trauma because I got kids now, and these motherfuckers need to get Like I'm realizing, when you listen to certain people, take key to what part of life they'reing.
Speaker 3: Right. That doesn't mean that all older people know everything, But what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying is that when you're following a podcast or you're watching somebody live life, ask youself, if this person is twenty six and they talking about parenting and they don't have no kids, do they really know about parenting?
Speaker 8: You know what I'm saying, and a lot of it is during my content. Yeah, you can't even take proper context from online.
Speaker 5: You can't.
Speaker 8: It's rage bait, yes, entertainment saying it just to say it.
Speaker 2: But then some people have Yeah, they have like a leg to stand on. They feel like because they're like, oh, somebody's saying exactly what I say exactly, and it's just like, no, that's probably not healthy.
Speaker 1: That's another thing I can teach our kids that social media is fake. We tell them the digital space is not a real place. Like my kids are not allowed to have social media. Jackson has a profile. He's not allowed to post anything because he's fourteen. He's gonna he's going to high school and he's going to start interacting with college coaches. When I say, it's okay, but I'm not giving my kids open access to the internet.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 1: Cairo just came to us two days ago. This is everything I'm about to tell you the best way. It's not an exaggeration. I know I like to tell stories to make people laugh. This is not an exaggeration. We're sitting out front of the lawn.
Speaker 5: This is before we're sitting on the law.
Speaker 2: Let me just preface it by saying he came to me and he was like, uh, he's sitting and eating a sandwich. He just made a sofa sandwich. And he's just like, Mom, if it's okay with you, when you have a second, I'd like to speak with you.
Speaker 3: And Dad nine years old said it just like that, and I was like, not exaggerating.
Speaker 5: Did he get somebody pregnant? Like what's happening?
Speaker 8: I like.
Speaker 2: He did say it was serious, okay, I said sure, I said, no problem, mean, Dad, you're outside on the lawn.
Speaker 5: So when whenever you finished saying where and she's like okay, so.
Speaker 1: Now we're outside, Sakari is there right? Kyrol comes outside?
Speaker 3: That is it okay? If I speak to you guys?
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, you won't speak to us in private? Or can your aunt stay? I'd like to speak to you in private. So now I'm thinking, like, dang, he really got somebody pregnant?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: Well, like I'm not like this. This can't be like this serious. So then Takari leaves and I guess myself, Jeff, he says, I'm turning ten in September, and I would like to talk to you guys about getting your cell phone, and.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, the simple fact that asked.
Speaker 1: And this is the funny part, because I told him, if you want something, don't come to me like an invalid can get. You have to come to me and present a case as to why you think you deserve it, why you need it, what you're going to do with it. I'm telling him, and I've been telling him in Jackson this for years. This boy came up there with a whole case and I was so flabbergasted by the fact that he came with me that I said yeah.
Speaker 3: He started, and then Kay was like, wait, what do you need a cell phone for?
Speaker 1: He went through a bullet list of what he needs his cell for for Sometimes when I leave the house, I would like to get in contact with you guys, and I can't get in contact with you.
Speaker 3: Kay Boom, you have an iPad? Don't you use the iPad?
Speaker 1: I can, but I can't carry my iPad with me sometimes because it doesn't fit in my pocket.
Speaker 3: I was like, good one.
Speaker 1: And she's like, Okay, how long do you think you should be on the cell phone for? I was like, yo, she's asked some questions he had answers for everyone that.
Speaker 2: Made a whole lot of sense too.
Speaker 4: I was like, Cairo is forty three.
Speaker 5: Indeed he's older than me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's older. He's definitely over to me. I want to ask.
Speaker 2: And it's funny because we made joke like when he takes when we go to t ball practice with me Uncle Matt and everything. Cairo is literally like his agent. He's just like, I can bea Dakota's agent. By the time, I was like, well, you can go law school and seriously become like a lawyer and you can negotiate contracts and stuff.
Speaker 5: And I see the wheels going off in his head. He was probably like.
Speaker 2: You know what, I could after I played in the NFL and after I have my acting career, I could be my brother's manager.
Speaker 5: On the side, I could, you know.
Speaker 2: But he came to us with such a case that I was like, because I didn't want to think, like the president that we're setting here is not when you turn a certain age you get X y Z. It's what's your maturity level, Like, what are the times? What do you need this for in a time where we're all cognizant of getting off of our devices, why would we give you another device to potentially distract you.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that was one of the things.
Speaker 2: That's why I started with the line of questions also to I want to see how he composes himself and how he's able to advocate for himself if it's something he feels like he needs advocate.
Speaker 1: So he stood up there, ten toes down, told everything. I asked a question.
Speaker 2: Eye contact, no, sir, yes, ma'am.
Speaker 3: No. Man, I was up there just smiling. She looking at me.
Speaker 6: This interrogation.
Speaker 1: Man's how many hours he is just like going through it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yo, he really listens.
Speaker 7: If you get him a cellf home, he's going to have god knows who online, he's gonna have Steven Spielberg.
Speaker 4: On the phone.
Speaker 2: Probably, yeah, probably absolutely.
Speaker 3: Speaking of.
Speaker 1: Another conversation that we have with our kids a lot. We talk about faith a lot with our kids. And Kirol's at that age at nine, where same exact age Jackson started asking me about Black Lives matter. Because everything was going on in twenty twenty, It's almost like history is repeating itself. Kiro's asking me a lot of race related questions because of everything that's going on in the world. So we were talking about that and talking about slavery and our ancestors and talking about where we came from. So we started talking about God and I see his eyes automatically just start like welling up a little bit, you know, And I could see he got the same thing in himself that I had when I was not And the first thing I said was, kiro, you understand that you don't have to fear God right like God is love? And he got light and I was like, I don't want you walking around thinking that God is just going to convict and condemn you for not being perfect. That's not how the world works, bro, That's that's not how God works. And I watched them go for real because he goes to a faith based church, you know, a Christian based church, so school, a Christian based school.
Speaker 3: So he's hearing reading scriptures, He's put scriptures on his shoes.
Speaker 1: Everything he does, he does with the belief that it has to be ordained by God in order for it to work. And I want him to continue to walk in that, but I don't want him to have the same fears that I had, you know what I'm saying, in the same misunderstandings and being easily manipulated by people in any church.
Speaker 3: So we talk to our boys about who God really is.
Speaker 1: Not about what religion may mean to people, because I don't give a shit what religion means to people. We talk to them about who God is and who God is to us, and how they need to walk with God in their life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as much as we talk about all the other stuff, religion is huge in their house.
Speaker 5: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: Definitely. All Right, I love that. Well, let's take a quick break and we'll be back with our listener letter of the day.
Speaker 3: All right, we're back, y'all with Kadeen's favorite part of this show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we'll be getting into today.
Speaker 2: You want to read a baby, I go for it.
Speaker 1: Hey, Kadeen, Devour, Triple Matt, and Josh. First, let me thank y'all for bringing the vibes to our community. It's so important for us to be thinking about and hearing the topics that y'all discussed, especially when it comes to relationships. I swear my husband is like Deval and I'm very much like Kadeen. I really need to go get y'all's book. Do it anyway. I am reaching out because I would like to hear y'alls thoughts perspective on something that you will encounter soon. I really respect you'll points of view, so I'm curious to know what you all will say. My son is in college and he works part time. He's in a fraternity He's a good student and very good kid. Everyone who knows him always has something positive to say. While being all these things, he is still a young man who will be trying to teach life that We will be trying to teach life lessons to including how to get after it, not always asking for money, but finding ways to get it in his own way. He has very generous grandparents, so much so that when he decided that he wanted to live in the fraternity house for some reason, he believed that he could and he does, and he does because.
Speaker 3: They help him pay for it, but most of his paycheck.
Speaker 1: Goes towards rent. Now, being a mother to this good kid, I have a hard time not.
Speaker 3: Giving him money. I know where she's coming from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, And we just went over this with Jackson too. We have explained to him that we will give him money for his knees, but he needs to cover his wants fun. Yes, obviously, we have spoiled him to this point, but it's hard not to when he's a good kid.
Speaker 3: What do I do? And how much? How much is too much? I love y'all. Thanks in advance with the advice.
Speaker 2: But dances you tell us because you've literally been thinking the same thing.
Speaker 5: That's always my thing. Jackson is such a good kid.
Speaker 2: He does not ask for anything often, so if he does ask for something, we're inclined to be like yeah, because why not?
Speaker 3: No whit My.
Speaker 7: Thing is white people don't ask themselves this question when their kids need something, They just give it to him. My friend, I swear my friend had a credit card was all her parents' credit card that they paid the bill for until she got married.
Speaker 1: And then I'm pretty sure that that friend has horrible spending habits.
Speaker 3: I know wealthy white people. You know how healthy white people work.
Speaker 1: They teach their kids about finances from young I got Jackson a bank account when he was nine. I put Jackson on an allowance from the time he was nine. I told Jackson, you don't got to ask me for nothing. As long as it's in your account, you can pay for it. So you know what Jackson has now learned how to do, and it's his own check book. He gets gifts for his friends, he get gifts for his brothers. He buys his own stuff. He never asked me for anything.
Speaker 6: Jacks me buying fire gifts of people too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see it because he saves money too.
Speaker 1: The first six months of him having his own bank account, this is what happened first six months.
Speaker 3: At the time he was nine.
Speaker 2: We just moved no, ten, ten, just moved here.
Speaker 3: Right, he had turned ten.
Speaker 1: He had got a phone for his birthday, and I opened up his Chase first bank account. I was putting one hundred dollars in there every month, And I said, this is not for chores, because you're going to be a grown man. You're gonna have to make up your bed, You're gonna have to cook your food and clean. So I'm not paying you to do chores. This is for the extra activities you do. You wanted to do tech, he was doing chess, he was doing debate. I said, those are things that you learned that can also turn into a paycheck as you get older. So I'm gonna give you one hundred dollars every month for you doing things that can also lead to your paycheck ted bat. He said, don't ask me for nothing, no more tho you wan roadblocks, you can get it. First three months kept running out of money because he kept you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But then he figured it out.
Speaker 1: And then after a while I'm looking at his bank account and I'm like, yo, you ain't buy no more rod blocks. He's like nah, because I'm trying to get these sneakers in the robot.
Speaker 3: And I said, oh, you learned on your own priorities. Just by priorities, I need I need to do that.
Speaker 1: And now he gets more money per month because he got older, he's taking on more sports. But when I watch him with his money, y'all, he and he teaches his brothers. We went to Dick Sporting Goods for his cleats. He has to buy his own stuff because I'm telling him, I said, hey, if you get an nil deal, you think I'm going to be supporting your your lifestyle.
Speaker 3: No, if you get an nil dealing, you making six figures.
Speaker 1: You got to pay for your trainer, you got to pay for your recovery, and it's all going to be a tax write off. So he's like bet tea. He goes to Dick sporting and goes with Cairo, Dad, can I get it? He's like, jack go some yo, you got to ask that to open your bank account. Then you don't got to ask him for nothing. You can get it if you can afford it. So I hate him over there talking in the corner, and I don't intervene, and I.
Speaker 3: Just go, what you want me to get you, Cairo? He goes nothing. I'm good. Let me see how you get out of this. You know what these fools did.
Speaker 1: They went home and Jackson told Cairo, I'll get you whatever you want. You just got to give me the money back when you get your birthday money. And they ordered their own stuff online.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And I was like, you know what, I'm gonna rock with it now about paying off his debt.
Speaker 3: You see what I'm saying, because now he got Cairo giving him his birthday money.
Speaker 1: Kyro got money from his uh, he got one hundred dollars from his residuals from being little Zach. First thing he goes over to jack it was just like, I'm gonna get you your money back before my birthday.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, that's good. Learning about interest.
Speaker 8: What Jackson didn't learn though, is how to shake somebody down.
Speaker 3: I didn't teach him how to be a businessman to get interests on that money.
Speaker 5: Yet I just let him it's coming.
Speaker 3: That's next level, yea, because I only told him to help his brother.
Speaker 5: That's when friends come along and we're like, you're my brow.
Speaker 2: Pay with interest.
Speaker 3: Facts.
Speaker 1: When it's your friend, you got to get interested because I gotta tell Jackson, that's money out of your account, that's money that's not growing, so he should pay you money back with interest.
Speaker 3: But that's like a concept that's greater. But when TA get older, that's.
Speaker 6: Going to be the fact that they even understand this.
Speaker 2: Right now, Cairo, anytime he gets little money, like your mom sent them all Valentine's Day cards and I think he got like twenty dollars in the card. So anytime he gets money now, he hands it over to me and he's like, mom, can you put that in Mustash. I know that he has a mental note of how much money he's been giving me, so I got to remember I come correct because sometimes I'll be like, I need a little twenty dollars.
Speaker 3: It's not mental. He wrote it down. He writes it down there.
Speaker 5: He's gonna let me know my make sure that you have my twenty.
Speaker 3: Dollars will shake you down absolutely.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, well, shit, because he knows that Sean has the bank accounts for them, so they all get their money put in their bank accounts, so he's keeping a running tab. So I got to make sure I want my piece and cues on me because I don't the smoke with Cairo.
Speaker 1: Jackson shakes me down. And he's better with numbers than I am. Because Yo, he said that you didn't pay me for November in December, I was like, yes, I did, like and I know that I did because it's on like direct deposit.
Speaker 3: Every month it didn't come out. I didn't know that it didn't come out.
Speaker 1: But he was like, nah, Dad, I get two fifty every month and I was supposed to get this and you didn't get this. And I'm like, how are you over here telling me about numbers. I'm supposed to be telling you. And I paid him his money up front. But by the fifth if that money don't come out, and the reason it didn't come out sometimes with the bank, if the day it is supposed to comes out happens on a Sunday and the bank is closed.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it won't come out until the following weekend.
Speaker 1: So if the fifth comes around and he don't see that money in his bank account, he coming right to.
Speaker 3: Me like yo yo. And I told him that you have to do that.
Speaker 1: I said, Jackson, if you were working for someone that's not your dad and they don't pay you on time, you just gonna keep working. And he was like, I guess not. I said, there's no guests, you can't. You are well within your right say hey, I was supposed to get paid X amount of dollars. Because we also as a paying have to get used.
Speaker 3: To doing good business.
Speaker 1: So start doing good business with your kids, like teach them the principles of it. So for me to help this lady right here, I know he's older, he's in college.
Speaker 3: I would have started early.
Speaker 1: But what you do now is you give him a bank account, and you place that bank account with a limit and say, I'll put the.
Speaker 3: Money in here. It's showing you though, bron, you know what I'm saying. That's what I would do.
Speaker 5: That that makes sense. I guess.
Speaker 2: My statement in the beginning is like Jackson rarely asks for anything, so if he does, say hey, mom, I really would like this or need that. Sometimes I'll be like, all right, cool, because maybe once a quarter if that, he'll ask for something, because I know he has its own stash and he'll purchase his own things. The grandparent component that she spoke about, that's something we struggle with as well too, because mom and dad living here in the house. I've already said this on previous podcasts that that can also be a detriment.
Speaker 5: Detriment as much as it is a help. Yes, so we've had to.
Speaker 2: Tell my parents time and time again, and sometimes I still don't listen. Put the kebash on this, We're not doing that, We're not eating this anymore, stop buying this for the house. And it's like an ongoing conversation. So they get their own space that y'all can go to grandma and Grandpa's house to be spoiled for the weekend, but then you come back home to the tight ship because ultimately, yeah, that's what reality is. Grandparents are supposed to be that little escape, but if they're also impeding the progress of you trying to instill values with money, then that's going to be a conversation you have to have with the grandparents. Too.
Speaker 5: They mean well, but sometimes it could be to a detriment.
Speaker 9: What's up with grandparents not raising these kids the same way they raised us.
Speaker 6: That's not their kids.
Speaker 1: So truth yeah, that's number one is it's not their kids. But that too is they raised us when they were younger. As you get older, you realize that I didn't have to do all of those things to my kids. So as you get older, you're like, I'm not doing the same thing to my kids. I'm into my grandkids that did to my kids. I send those things right right.
Speaker 3: It's just they're growing too.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I got to keep parenting. My mom raised my daughter. It's crazy we.
Speaker 5: Do this every conversation with.
Speaker 3: Her and me me bro, I'll just be stepping out because.
Speaker 2: I'm like, just because then what's going to happen when you raised a coddled ass man? Like you know what I'm saying, I'm looking at the future of what my children will be as men, and I know what a detriment it is to be coddled as a man or a woman. It's not even just a gender. It's probably the biggest turn off. Like you're raising no boys over here. We're not raising no fuck boys. So if we have certain rules and regulations that these boys need to follow, you can't undo them just because you live here.
Speaker 1: You know, life ain't fear. Life ain't fear. A coddle man is way worse than a coddle woman, because a coddled man, a physically big, strong, dominant man who doesn't know how to cook control his emotions, can be violent, and that can be a detriment to everything anybody. You can't be a coddle.
Speaker 3: Man, bro.
Speaker 1: And the truth is your mom and this is your mom says that these men, these men, you can't raise the same type of men you claim you hate by coddling your grandkids, right, you can't.
Speaker 5: That's been the conversation. That's been all right, good.
Speaker 2: Luck to y'all.
Speaker 5: And the fact that you said y'all will be dealing with this soon.
Speaker 2: I'm in my feelings the fact that I.
Speaker 1: Only have Jack gonna be in college, bro, soon, we got four years left in his house with him.
Speaker 4: He about to get this, about to be fifteen, He's about to be fifteen.
Speaker 2: That's like the form I was starting to count down, like that's formal Christmases for more spring breaks.
Speaker 4: Formre Valentine is flying by.
Speaker 6: Don't worry, cod, it looks just like him.
Speaker 2: Ye insane.
Speaker 4: All right, y'all.
Speaker 2: If you want to be featured as a listener letter on the show, email us at v Ellis Advice at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: That's t h E E L L I S A d V I C E at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: All right, we're talking moments of truth? What you got for us today, Babe?
Speaker 3: Your kids are your responsibility. People.
Speaker 1: It's not the school's responsibility. It's not the church's responsibility. It's not the coach's responsibility. It's not your parents' responsibility. It's yours. So if you chose to lay down with somebody and have kids, enjoy the process of repeating yourself over and over and over again, because it's going to happen even when they're adults.
Speaker 3: Just enjoy and love it. They're yours.
Speaker 2: I've seen debate recently online with people, I guess in the Gen Z population, even some millennials saying that like, I never want to have a child. I don't want to have a child, and that's okay, But if you do want to have a child, ask yourself why, Like, what's the reason for having a child. Do you want a legacy. Do you want someone to raise It has to be more than well, I just want to see what a mini me would look like like. You have to literally invest time in your children because they will become an exact product of their environment.
Speaker 5: So really assess.
Speaker 2: Why you want to have children. If you want to have children, and if you don't, that's cool because you will be contributing to a society of boys and girls. Essentially, that's my moment truth.
Speaker 6: I got one fact check the facts that they're teaching your kids in school. Because of the heart of that, she had to hang facts.
Speaker 2: That's the facts learning.
Speaker 7: My moment of truth is now that my dad is dead, either Devout or Cairo is gonna have to step on.
Speaker 4: Because I still got some things I need to learn.
Speaker 5: C oh for sure.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna look on the camera and I'm gonna see Triple pulling up cars like I got it. Me and her got a session.
Speaker 3: You will I know he don't walk out with his hands on his hips.
Speaker 11: Yeah yeah, Now we got you in the classic and notes by the way, right right behind man, what a little personality back to you us.
Speaker 8: Teaching doesn't end at three p m. It carries over.
Speaker 9: Uh, we're supposed to be constantly teaching these children how to be responsible children and ultimately responsible adults.
Speaker 2: Fact that part my children gonna have to interact with your kids maybe.
Speaker 8: And sponges man to pick up everything, every single thing.
Speaker 2: And we know about sponges got mad bacteria facts maybe smell you have to throw that ship out every month, check a sponge.
Speaker 8: And in between. I'm an advocate for boiling your sponge, like.
Speaker 2: Right after Yeah, just throw that ship out.
Speaker 8: Throw it out, you know in a week or so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't have the sponge the mad bacteria.
Speaker 6: If you a sponge ful of water and.
Speaker 2: You're going to ring it out to move my father out, that's all smelling. It'd be like, what can you just ring ring out the sponge?
Speaker 3: Oh, your father be eving messed up sponges.
Speaker 2: Bro all the time, Bro, all the time. You gotta check him on that parenting your parents.
Speaker 8: With a fine toothed comb.
Speaker 2: If you want to know what Josh is talking about, you have to be a part of the After Show, which is a part of Patreon. So join us on Patreon for exclusive after show content, Ellis Family content, outtakes, and behind the scenes of the podcast, and you can find us on social media at Ellis ever After.
Speaker 5: I'm Kadeen, I am.
Speaker 10: I am Deval, I'm at Ellis photo dot com, and I'm a proxy of Airing Underscore mb and I'm at Trails The Cool t ri ib v Z The Cool on Everything all Right.
Speaker 3: And if you're listening on Apple podcasts, be sure to rate.
Speaker 5: Subscribe, and download Baby That.
Speaker 8: God.
Speaker 7: Ellis ever After is an iHeartMedia podcast. It's hosted by Kadeen and Deval Ellis. It's produced by Triple Video, production by Joshua Dwayne and Few Ellis, video editing by Laschan Broe.
Speaker 2: Giffing Ha
Speaker 1: Giffing has has