Speaker 1: Hello Sunshine, Hey Bam.
Speaker 2: Today on the bright Side, we're popping off and dishing on the biggest pop culture stories of the week with Post producer and reporter Kirby Johnson, who you know from the Pod Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: It's Friday, August second.
Speaker 3: I'm Simone Voice.
Speaker 4: I'm Danielle Robe and this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine, a daily show where we come together to share women's stories, to laugh, to learn, and brighten your day.
Speaker 3: Danielle, Happy Friday.
Speaker 1: What a great week we've had on the show. It really was a great week.
Speaker 4: I loved our interview yesterday with Andrea Joyce. Me too. She loved her craft so much. I loved that about her. I think she's part of the Golden Girls too. Oh yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: Today we're popping off about a TikTok trend that will certainly raise or perhaps spread some eyebrows, plus a celebrity's unconventional path to mental clarity, and the ultimate hot take. It's cheat Day, y'all, a controversial think piece has us wondering if it's ever okay to cheat on your partner.
Speaker 4: But before we go all the way there, it's time to spotlight our favorite Moment of the Week brought to you by our friends at BMW who are making summer yours.
Speaker 2: Summer makes me think of road trips, and that's exactly what we want to spotlight this week, especially a road trip in the BMWIX I four.
Speaker 4: You're speaking my language, simone, because USA Today published this list of top roadside attractions in the country, and they are so kitchy and fun. There's one that really caught my eye right away, and it's the Bonnie and Clyde Ambush Museum in Gibbslan, Louisiana. Let me just give you a little context. It's in the former mac Hanfield's Cafe, which legend has it is where Bonnie and Clyde ate their final meal right before they you know what I mean. So Bonnie a to BLT and Clyde ada fried Baloney sandwich.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had a fried the Loney sandwich?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take the BLT. But that location sounds really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love feeling like I'm steeped in history while I'm eating a BLT.
Speaker 4: I love that you said that, because this is what I think is really cool about it. The museum has all of these artifacts, like some of their personal items, even weapons, photographs like they have all the the newspaper clippings, like all the headlines from that moment, And I think it's really cool to see these artifacts up close. And then also, I have to be honest with you, since I'm in the car, I'm gonna drive to New Orleans for a little bigne at Cafe Dumont. And if you guys have heard of it, it's because it's the best beignet place of all time.
Speaker 2: You gotta eat them hot though yes you've been, of course, Yeah, you gotta eat them hot with all the powdered sugar on top. It's so delicious, delish. Great choices, Danielle. I saw both of those too. For my inspiration, I took a peek at Timeout's Best US road.
Speaker 1: Trip list Where we go Hell, my top choice.
Speaker 3: Is abundantly clear.
Speaker 2: I want to take a joy ride through the hairpin turns of the road to Hanna in Maui, Hawaii. So this ride through paradise connects Kahului to Hanna on the island of Maui. We're talking about epic ocean cliffs, waterfalls, fragrant tropical flowers. I mean, sign me up. What more could you want from a summer road trip? Plus a little dip in the ocean too, chef's kiss.
Speaker 4: So wait, you're saying I'm going to Gibbsland and you're going to Hawaii.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got time.
Speaker 1: Can we switch road trips?
Speaker 2: You're more than welcome to hop into my BMW and do the road to Hanna with me.
Speaker 1: Is this your first road trip or you do these?
Speaker 3: I've done a lot of road trips.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite road trips was road tripping from Florida to California the Southern route. So got to see a lot of tumbleweeds, some beautiful red rock formations. Yeah, very memorable.
Speaker 3: How about you?
Speaker 4: I have taken quite a few road trips too. I've taken some California to Utah. I've taken some down like the Eastern Coast. My most memorable one, though, I have to tell you, was with my best friend from high school, Martina, and junior year of high school, we begged her mom to let us borrow her BMW X three and we would road trip to every Midwestern college.
Speaker 1: We would go to Indiana to Michigan.
Speaker 4: To Wisconsin, to Ohio State and we were telling our parents that on the weekends like we were just you know, visiting colleges. Really, we were just hanging out with our friends who were like a year or two older than us.
Speaker 1: We were sleeping like three in a bed in their.
Speaker 4: Dorm room, going out every like Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and then driving home on Sunday and being like, hmm, maybe we should go to college there.
Speaker 3: Oh that sounds like so much fun.
Speaker 1: I have the best memories from those road trips.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have a few more road trip ideas that I want to run by you.
Speaker 4: Oh you ready, Yes, You're seemed better than mine, so I'm now very curious.
Speaker 3: It's not a competition. Okay, they're all winners.
Speaker 2: But for my first fantasy road trip idea, I'm thinking East Coast will take Roote six from Providence, Rhode Island, to Provincetown, Massachusetts, with pitstops in charming New England towns along the way. Can't forget Cape Cod. I've always wanted to go.
Speaker 4: Yes, me too, and I've always wanted to go to Rhode Island.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, so we're agreed on that.
Speaker 2: Yep, next one on the West Coast, I think we can consider Utah West Coast sort of. Yeah, so I'm thinking Utah's Scenic Byway twelve. We'll drive through Red Rock Arches, scenic overlooks, views of the Henry Mountains, and then head on over to Bryce Canyon too. There's also this thing called the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument. And apparently there's this amazing coffee shop called Kiva Coffeehouse where you can have a cup of Joe with a view.
Speaker 4: Simone, you had me at coffee, right, yes, Okay.
Speaker 2: Finally, to round out our fantasy road trip list, we're heading up north go into the Sun Road in Montana's Glacier National Park. At an elevation over sixty five hundred feet. We'll be able to take in all the wildflower meadows and verdant valleys below Verdant Valleys going to the Sun Road, it just makes so much sense for the bright side.
Speaker 4: I just want everybody to know that Simona's a beautiful vocabulary. I don't always know the words she's using. Verdant is one of them. She recently taught me. It means greenery, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just like the way verdant valley sounds.
Speaker 4: Verdant valleys. Well, you sold me, I'm in. I also love Montana. If we're there, can we kind of drive to Big Sky and see God's Country and hike a little bit totally. I got my cowboy boots ready, Simon. I know we have like a daily show to do, but I'm thinking we should just hop in the car.
Speaker 3: Let's go. What are we doing here in this stuffy studio.
Speaker 1: It's summer.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 2: There are many ways to spend your summer, but only BMW will make it ultimate. Hurry in for exceptional offers at the BMW Summer Sales event on now. Only the ultimate driving machine can elevate your summer on the expected.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Let's go is right, because it's time to pop off, y'all. And today we're joined by a true beauty guru, Kirby Johnson. She is our go to girl for skincare, for makeup trends, for celebrity content. I mean, you name it, she knows it. Kirby first started reporting for Pop Sugar back in twenty eleven, and her work has been seen in publications like The Cut, Glamour and The Hollywood Reporter and now The bright Side.
Speaker 4: She's interviewed some of the biggest names in Hollywood, Jennifer Aniston, Viola Davis, Ariana Grande, Mariah Carrie, and now she's the co host of the very popular Gloss Angeles podcast. I love listening, Kirby, Welcome to the bright Side.
Speaker 5: Thank you both. It is crazy too. I mean I know both of you, but hearing your voices in my headphones versus on my phone in the bathroom when I'm getting ready in the morning, it's pretty major.
Speaker 1: So I'm really excited to be here. You can't escape us, hik I really can't.
Speaker 3: I can't. Can I just.
Speaker 1: First say, Los Angeles. God, that's such a good name. Thank you.
Speaker 5: It's such a good credit to my co host, Sarah Tan. We had a different name. It was originally reporting for Beauty because we're both beauty editors.
Speaker 3: Reporting for duty. Yeah, and then.
Speaker 5: We love a good play onwards it was taken. The domain name was taken, and we said, okay, we got to rethink, and then she just said, what about gloss Angelus.
Speaker 4: I actually think it was meant to be. It's so elevated, it's so great.
Speaker 1: We love it.
Speaker 2: I love a good name, like I just really appreciate like a good name.
Speaker 5: And we call our listeners glam Jelino's instead of Angelina.
Speaker 1: It's so cute.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the thing that I find super interesting about you, Kirby.
Speaker 1: We met tell me, well, we.
Speaker 4: Met on red carpets early on in both of our careers. We were interviewing people at the very ends of the lines of the red carpets, bagging for interviews.
Speaker 1: I know what that section of the carpet is like, very well.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's like where all the hooligans are, and we're like, we're all trying so hard, but we're also like nobody cares about us, so we can really get away With Tom Cruse, this is the only one who will He'll bypass everyone and just come over. And you're like, this was a gift, thank god, thank you.
Speaker 4: But we were doing entertainment, yeah, and then you saw something that was available that wasn't being covered in the way that you wanted to cover it, and that was beauty. And so you took your knowledge of entertainment and started this cross section of beauty reporting and you've really become the go to person on the Internet and for a lot of huge magazines.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm very fascinated with anything behind the scenes. I grew up in Texas, That's where my family is, and my goal, I think since second grade, was to move to Hollywood. Like you know when they have those little posters that you make that say where do you want to be?
Speaker 1: What do you want to do? It was literally me drawing.
Speaker 5: A picture of the Hollywood Hills with the Hollywood sign, Like I knew I wanted to be here, And I was always fascinated not just with the glitz and the glam of like a Julia Roberts or Cameron.
Speaker 1: Diaz, but I really wanted to know who was.
Speaker 5: Made making these people look like this, Like Cameron Diaz, like how did she get her hair, you know, up and gelled like that? And something about Mary like what was that?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: Like I couldn't product was yeah, what was it?
Speaker 5: And then reading magazines like a Lore where they were really they weren't called glam squads at the time, but they were really highlighting the people like Hillary Duff's favorite I makeup pencil, according to her makeup artist is blah blah blah. So I really liked kind of sharing that information with my friends, reading it and then taking it to them kind of like a little roving reporter, and then you know, you come out to LA everybody wants to be for me. At least when I moved out in two thousand and nine, it was E News. I wanted to be on E News. I wanted to be Ryan and Juliana. I like in college, I was glued to E News. And then you learn very quickly, Oh, you can't just waltz in and be like, I want an audition. I want to get that job like I. You know, there's a lot of people vuying for that job. Even people that were working as editors and writers on those sites were not able to get those on camera jobs. And so I really try to figure out, Okay, what's my edge? What makes me different? Everybody's reporting on entertainment, and I think the two things were beauty obviously, and then also reporting on things in a realistic way without degrading other people. I think that when you yuck somebody else's yum, it's just bad vibes, bad karma. I don't want that in my life. And also, you never know what somebody is going through. So I always try to come at it where I might be critical of something, but it's always constructive and it's never mean, It's never in a way that I think could put somebody down.
Speaker 2: It sounds like Los Angeles has kind of become like this group chat that you've opened up to the masses. You're saying that it started out just you reporting beauty information to your friends. What would you say is your philosophy when you cover these.
Speaker 5: Topics That beauty is subjective, So what's beautiful to me may not be beautiful to you. To you, it's very dependent on so many factors in your life. And that also there's beauty in everything. That might kind of sound contradictory in a way, but it's not. There's beauty and everything. So if something doesn't work for you, that's fine, it may work for other people. There's no need to shade anybody. There's no need to be hypercritical of something. I do think there are really dumb trends that come around, but they're dumb because they are only being done for likes and views and engagement.
Speaker 1: They don't actually teach anything.
Speaker 2: Don't worry, guys, we're not going to talk about any of them today. We're not going to talk about any dumb trends today.
Speaker 5: But I think that you know, beauty can seem very superficial and there's a lot more to it. It's you know, the whole the skin deep, you know, saying that everybody loves to say. It's like it is really more than skin deep. So I that's kind of where I come from when it comes to beauty, that there's beauty and everything. Well, you just launched a new project called powder Room.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I'm so excited.
Speaker 4: The latest episode launched with Rare Beauty founders Selina Gomez.
Speaker 1: Yes, what way to launch? Kirby?
Speaker 5: I just I shot my shot basically did you chat with her about?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 5: The whole premise of powder Room is, you know, when you go into a women's bathroom. I was kind of laughing about this because I'm like, when was the last time I was in a club. But when you go to the club and you're having fun with your girls, you go to the bathroom and everyone's kind of congregating, they're doing their makeup, or maybe somebody's like emotional about how somebody's treating her, and you're offering advice.
Speaker 1: It's like a.
Speaker 5: Community aspect where you can go, you know, really superficial level or like really deep with someone and make somebody feel good. That's what I wanted the powder room to be. But I wanted to be like slightly elevated, not like I didn't want to call it like the women's bathroom, girls girls room. There's plenty of girls rooms, so I was like, the powder room. Men can come in the powder room if they want to, Like, I want to open this up to everybody. But she just happened to be launching a powder so it kind of worked out perfectly. And I asked her team and they said yes, and then I went in and I remember I was shaking. I was so nervous. I've interviewed her before, so this is you know, you know how it gets y'all like you You're like, they're here, they're in the floor. I want to do a great job, and you want them to be happy. That's where I come from. I don't want them to be like, this girl's weird.
Speaker 1: What are these questions?
Speaker 3: God?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't want to answer this.
Speaker 5: I want them to feel comfortable, and I want them, like not to like me, but I want them to enjoy the experience. Selena was great. She was absolutely lovely. She was totally down and we just we talked about. It was a five minute interview, which you're you know, you guys, know, what can you really get out of five minutes?
Speaker 1: But she gave me some really good more souls, which I was really really excited about. Yeah, that's super cool.
Speaker 3: All right, y'all. It is the end of the week.
Speaker 2: It is time to pop off on some of the biggest moments in pop culture from the week.
Speaker 3: Kirby, what's on your mind this week?
Speaker 5: Okay, there's major, major beauty news this week. May am I to not share beauty news. If I said the name Blake Brown Beauty, does that ring any bells for you? It probably will for you too, because you're in it. But no, it does because I saw your video. Oh okay, Okay, so I'm gonna be quiet.
Speaker 2: Okay, Blake Brown, the name Blake Brown, I don't know it. I don't know the name Blake Brown.
Speaker 5: Okay, So what if I told you that was Blake Lively's new haircare brand that is launching next week nationwide in Target stores.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: Eight products, shampoos, a styling product, a moose hair masks.
Speaker 1: No conditioner, interesting nosier? No conditioner? Why is that for curly girls?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: The ethos of this brand, essentially is that you don't use conditioner, you use the Leven masks that they offer to repair the hair.
Speaker 4: This is a trend, though I've heard this. Actually, a girl just told me she has curly hair. I'm trying to work out my curls and she said, no conditioner, just use this mask.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how's a curly girl. I don't know about this no conditioner thing. I'm I'm optical because we need if you have natural hair, like you need conditioner, you need moisture.
Speaker 5: So they're saying that these Levin masks that they're providing, these giant vats of them, that's what you should use. So pick a mask that's meant to repair the hair versus just a typical conditioner, which we are kind of, to Danielle's point, seeing a little bit more of, especially with the rise of K eighteen being like a repairative mask that you just leave in and get.
Speaker 4: The only masks that I've used that's worked for me, and I've tried all of the.
Speaker 3: Same K eighteen.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's very overpriced and it is so good.
Speaker 5: It is so good and it actually works, yeah, better than anything else out there.
Speaker 3: I love a new beauty discovery.
Speaker 4: Well, speaking of hair, there is this I don't even I can't even say it. There is this new trend on TikTok called the octopus eyebrow. It has more than twelve million views, a million likes. It's everywhere. It's one of those dumb trends that you were talking about. It get you spelled out.
Speaker 1: I know, I know. I don't like saying dumb. I don't know why.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I understand, do you know what I mean? Yeah, it feels very It feels like worse than a curse words to me.
Speaker 1: I'm like, like, nothing's dumb. I think this is dumb. Tell the listeners what the octopus eyebrow is.
Speaker 3: We'll let them judge. Okay, that's fair.
Speaker 1: Okay, So people are doing this.
Speaker 5: You split your eyebrow hairs down the middle with a very thick wax or palmade maybe from Anastasia Beverly Hills, and you curl your brow hairs look like little octopus legs up and down.
Speaker 1: That's the part, the up and down. So some of them are going down, some of them are going up.
Speaker 5: It is truly, uh, you know, the fear of holes like that is the fear that this gives me incites in me. It doesn't look natural because you're literally parting your hair your brow hairs in a way that's just truly the most unnatural. Well.
Speaker 4: Refinery twenty nine kind of posted it as this avant garde model editorial.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm sorry, nobody except literally a model in a magazine for a photo, is doing this to look good.
Speaker 1: I'm just putting it out there.
Speaker 5: The only reason this is happening is because it will get you views on TikTok.
Speaker 3: Someone should demonstrate.
Speaker 1: I think someone should demonstrate it to be.
Speaker 5: I don't have the products you have beautiful fluffy brows.
Speaker 1: I have a meeting.
Speaker 2: I can't have a bad information because I was promised that someone was going to demonstrate this trend today.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 5: I I considered it, but I did not have the right product than your I was told, hey, if you have this stuff, can you bring it? And I was like yeah. Then I looked in my stash. I did not have any of the things.
Speaker 3: So I don't I don't blame you.
Speaker 2: I was not really into having Calamari browse today, so.
Speaker 1: I actually like that name better. Yeah me too, It's better.
Speaker 2: We've got to take a quick break, but we'll be right back. Don't go anywhere. We're back to popping off with Kirby Johnson.
Speaker 4: Okay, how important is mental clarity do you guys? Very like sale of one to ten ten.
Speaker 5: I don't think I'm I'm mentally clear ever, but it is important.
Speaker 4: It's really high. Okay, how about you, Simon? Yeah, very important one through ten ten. Wow, so both of you are ten. So you're saying you're willing to do absolutely anything for mental clarity.
Speaker 2: Oh, you asked me how much.
Speaker 1: I prioritize it. I do prioritize it, but there are limits.
Speaker 3: Oh of course. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to see if you would go this far?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: R and B singer Maya from.
Speaker 3: It's the Iconic Anthem from Mulanderge.
Speaker 4: The Iconic R and B singer Maya just last week revealed that she's been quote celibate for seven years.
Speaker 3: Good for her.
Speaker 4: She said it during her appearance on the Way Up with Angela Yee, saying that the practice of celibacy has brought her more mental clarity and shifted her mindset, and she talked about how she felt like there was always this rush to be in a relationship, to have a man, to have babies. There's a lot of pressure for women in particular. I definitely feel that do you feel it, yes, yes, right now? Feeling it me too. So it let her take a step back and refocus. And here's the thing that's interesting to me. She's not alone Lenny Kravitz, Julia Fox, all celebrities that have come out recently calling it this spiritual thing. The one thing I will say about this is that I'm confused between celibacy and abstinence because I think celibacy has a religious connotation. So I'm not sure if it's abstinence or celibacy. But either way, they're not having sex. Okay, that's because perhaps it's my Texas roots. But abstinence has a religious connotation for me. Yes, interesting because it was you are abstinate until marriage.
Speaker 1: That was what I was taught growing up. Interesting.
Speaker 2: I always think of abstinence as the period before you have sex yep. And then celibacy is when you after take a conscious pause.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's both, maybe they're both kind of religious in a way. But although celibacy so many, so many women are choosing themselves versus having sex and being in a relationship or not being in relationship and having sex, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Men, women.
Speaker 5: I think it's it's something that we're seeing a lot more of and people are being a lot more vocal about it instead of being like, oh, the last time I, you know, have gotten late or whatever was. It's like a very active approach to your sex life.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm going to be very honest here. Okay, I feel less mental clarity. If I am celibate.
Speaker 1: It is not for me, So you need you have a need for speed.
Speaker 4: I just feel like a better version of myself not celibate, Okay, Okay.
Speaker 5: I do think I mean, Simon, I'm curious your thoughts about this. Do you think that, like, how what percentage of people do you think are actively celibate right now in the world? My god, do you think that there is a large majority of people that are conscientiously thinking to themselves, I'm purposefully not having sex. Because what Maya was saying is that chat GPT Kirby.
Speaker 1: Oh please do please.
Speaker 5: I don't have a computer, so you have to do it. I would love to know, Okay.
Speaker 4: According to a twenty twenty one General Social Survey, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know how Actually that is.
Speaker 4: But more than a quarter of Americans over eighteen haven't had sex in the past year.
Speaker 5: But is that a concerted effort, So it's a thirty year high.
Speaker 4: It's a trend. It's called a sex recession, which we're definitely in.
Speaker 1: You're totally in one. And it's being driven by younger generations.
Speaker 3: Too, jen Z.
Speaker 5: But you're saying that they are actively not having sex on purpose, ye, not like they just have not found a partner.
Speaker 1: Men and women are different.
Speaker 4: Men, it's not it's not their choice, and women it is the choice.
Speaker 5: Okay, that makes sense to me. Yeah, that makes sense to me. Interesting, Yeah, fascinating. I like Maya's mindset and that her purpose for celibacy is that she's not putting any time constraints on herself to get married, to have children, to be in a relationship. She's not depending on another person for love, safety and needs that she may need to have met. Yes, and I think that's a good thing. I just got out of a very long term relationship and.
Speaker 1: How long eight years?
Speaker 5: Damn very long. I would consider it a marriage in a way. But the last thing on my mind right now is trying to find another person totally. But then also in the back of my head, there is this thing that Maya was talking about, like, Okay, I'm getting older if I want to get married and have children, like and I never used to have that, you know, ticking clock scenario in my head ever, not.
Speaker 1: Even from your Texas parents. No, it's amazing.
Speaker 5: My Texas parents were amazing and that they never pushed any of that on me.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: And I did go to school in Texas and everybody got married right after college, so I never having that.
Speaker 1: I feel very blessed.
Speaker 5: But now I'm kind of like, Okay, I gotta maybe figure this out soon. But I like that Maya is like, no, by being celibate, I don't even have that's not even a factor. If it happens, great, but I'm not actively I'm promising myself I'm going to stay this way until I'm personally ready to commit.
Speaker 3: This is the definition of agency.
Speaker 2: So I I really celebrate this, and I also celebrate the idea of younger, more impressionable people growing up in today's world having an example like this just as an option to say, like, I don't need to be out there having sex with a lot of people. I don't know if I don't want to, because look look at you know, Lenny Kravitz and Maya. I actually think that that's really healthy, and I think it aligns with what we've been talking about, this fact that like younger generations are less interested in having these like casual hookups, and also totally gen Z viewers want to see less sex on screen too, which is interesting in such a big contrast from the environment that I grew up in in the nineties and two thousands.
Speaker 1: So I actually totally disagree.
Speaker 4: I feel that I love I agree with you in the agency department. I think that's beautiful. Seven years is a long time to me. That signals like something deeper is going on, because relationships, regardless of what they are, are like at the core of what it means to be a human being. And I think the sex recession actually speaks to something deeper and worse going on in our society. I think, like young kids don't know how to relate to one another, and they don't realize how important real intimacy is, not just like you know, going out and having sex with whoever, but intimacy.
Speaker 1: Is really important.
Speaker 4: And I really there's this great story it was in the New York Times years ago of this woman who got divorced and moved to India, went to an astrom lived there, ended up living there for twenty years and did a ton of work on herself, and at.
Speaker 1: The end of her time, she went to.
Speaker 4: Like the Master, the bood, I don't know, like what the phrase is, the Guru and said it's time for me to leave. And he said, well, why I've been waiting for you to come here and tell me that, And she said, because I've done all I can.
Speaker 1: Do on my own.
Speaker 4: In order to evolve to the next level, I need a mirror. And romantic relationships provide that mirror for you, like they stretch you in a way that nothing else can. And I feel like we shouldn't be poop pooing that.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 5: I I agree with you on a lot of points. I do think there is an intimacy issue in twenty twenty four, for sure, and there's there's a lot of reasons for that, you know, lack of interpersonal skills, right, the pandemic anxiety.
Speaker 1: There are so many elements to that.
Speaker 5: And I also love that story about the woman because I think about that a lot. Where I used to be like, I'm fine, I'm misindependent, I'm good. I don't need a man. I don't even in my relationship. I was like, I'm so independent, I don't need you to do anything for me. And then slowly but surely you realize, no, you want the mirror. You want somebody to be there for you, to be a safe place for you that you where you can break down or you can you know, celebrate your wins and feel.
Speaker 1: Good about it. So I see both sides.
Speaker 5: But someone, I really loved what you said about agency because growing up, who did we have Britney Spears telling people she was waiting until she was gonna get married and yeah, and then you know, we know how those go. So I actually like this where it's like I'm a grown adult and I'm making this active decision and that's okay for people to look up to, versus trying to put upon impressionable teenagers like what they should or shouldn't be doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, we're going to take a hard left turn here from celibacy to cheating okay, tanks, okay, okay. So we came across this article in the cut with the headline this is a. This is a bomb drop right here. Is cheating okay if you end up with the love of your life?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I love Okay, Okay.
Speaker 3: Let's hear the details.
Speaker 2: So this article says there is one exception to cheating, and that's if and only if it leads you to finding the love of your life. And the writer comes with case studies. She's got the receipts. She points to Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson. Wait, what whom he fell for on the set of a movie while he was still married to his college sweetheart?
Speaker 3: Not America's Tom.
Speaker 4: Okay, I actually did there so many hit and Angelina more allegedly Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith.
Speaker 2: Allegedly Alicia Keys and Swiss beats Ma Shonda. Yes, also just to take a trip over the pond for a moment. Prince Charles and Queen Camilla marriage was a culmination of, obviously this decades long love affair between the two.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this is the big question of the day that we were going to end on. Lady Wow, is it okay to cheat if you find the love of your life?
Speaker 3: Kirby we the f.
Speaker 5: Actually the Prince Charles and Camilla comparison are example. I was telling my mom, because my mom is a diehard Royals fan, she's like Camilla.
Speaker 1: Like. Growing up, Camilla was not it. She was not the girl. She was the side chick. Yes, Okay.
Speaker 5: Then as I've gotten older and have you know, educated myself on the Royal family and all of that shananery, I realized they should have been together from the jump. Prince Charles and Camilla should have been together from the jump. It is so unfortunate that Diana got dragged into that mess. And that is not her fault. That is Prince Charles's fault. That is the family's fault. But he's still kicking it with Camilla. And I think about this all the time. And granted, if I had been cheated on, maybe I would think differently about this. I would probably the emotions of being cheated on would probably take over versus what I'm about to say. But if they do, I think about I'm not even kidding you, I think about this at least once a week. If you end up with the person you're supposed to actually be with, then you.
Speaker 1: Weren't supposed to be with that first person anyways.
Speaker 5: And that and that person wasn't supposed to be with you.
Speaker 4: Wait, so I want to I just want to make sure I understand. Please, both of you feel like it's not okay if you don't end up with the person, but it's all okay if you do end up with that person.
Speaker 2: Yes, And unfortunately there's no way to know if it is the right person, so there's going to be some collateral damage.
Speaker 3: I think it's important.
Speaker 2: To say I do not condone cheating, and I also think that in some cases it can lead you to being with the person that you were meant to be with.
Speaker 5: That's nuance, and that's what we love to see here. That's what we do here on the right side base its nuance.
Speaker 1: I totally agree.
Speaker 5: I also think there's a difference between being a serial cheater with randoms and not being able to be loyal to your partner when you go out at night, you know, with your friends, versus meeting someone and falling deeply in love with them and realizing this is actually the person I'm supposed to be with.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: So my take on it is that Esther Perel says that cheating is the only thing that is universally practiced and universally condemned, and I agree with her. I also think this is actually part of feminism that we haven't totally discussed and uncovered yet in our society because it's so taboo.
Speaker 1: No one wants to talk.
Speaker 4: About cheating, okay, because nobody wants like the lights on them, right, Nobody wants to be thought of as a cheater cheating. In many ways, the accusation always goes to the woman. Even I said die chick earlier. That's a terrible term. There's no term for a side man, right. I don't like the idea of cheating. I've been cheated on. When I was twenty four, I cheated on my boyfriend.
Speaker 1: It's part of life. I think. I don't want to do it. I don't want to be in a marriage where I do it.
Speaker 4: I've made that decision, But you can't control other people teach their own. Yeah, Kirby, Okay, before you leave us today, I feel like we'd be remiss not to ask you because you're just such a wealth of knowledge. What's a beauty tip that your mama touched you all the way from Texas that you want to share with us?
Speaker 5: Oh my, oh, so my mom was a cosmatologist growing up, So I had a lot of beauty tips. But one thing I it's not necessarily tip, but she would always pick me up when I was little, put me, stand me on the counter, and make me look in the mirror, and she would say, who is that pretty girl? And I know, now, you're not supposed to, like tell kids that they're pretty or whatever.
Speaker 1: You're supposed to be like you're so intelligent or whatever. You're neutrally and physically attractive.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I think that lately I've actually been looking in the mirror, PA like, girl, you look good, Like you are doing good.
Speaker 1: You're doing the right things.
Speaker 5: You are surrounding yourself with the right people. You are doing some things right. And maybe something's wrong, but it's going to be okay. So I think that's probably the best thing that she ever did for me, is as telling myself to telling me it's okay to.
Speaker 1: Talk to yourself. Who's that pretty girl in the mirror? Who is that pretty girl in the mirror? I love that. Kirby, thank you so much for popping off with us. I adore you both. Thank you so much. This is so funny.
Speaker 4: Kirby Johnson is a producer, reporter and co host of the beloved Beauty podcast Los Angeles. Follow her on social at Kirby Johnson to check out her latest project, The powder Room. We have to take a quick break. Stick with us. Welcome back, Simone. We're kicking off something new today. It's called What's in Your Cart? Sponsored by Walmart. So each Friday, we're shouting out either a favorite product that is a staple of ours or something new that we'd love to try.
Speaker 2: Okay, Danielle, you're on a desert island. You're stranded. You can only take one makeup product with you. What's it going to be?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm about to say.
Speaker 4: My favorite mascara of all time is well documented on this show. It is the Lareel Paris Waterproof mascara in black.
Speaker 1: This is a.
Speaker 2: Tried and true makeup girly class. I've probably been using it for like fifteen years and I never stray. I never cheat on her because Lareel Paris Waterproof mescaren black is my girl. Because I hate when mascara gets all clumpy and my eyes stick together. This is not that you're gonna get that clean finish every single time. And with the weather being extremely hot this summer, one hundred plus degrees outside. I am not here for a smudging or running down my face moment, right. I need it to last until we're done with the podcast every single day, you know, like I don't need to look down at myself at five pm and say where did my eyelashes go?
Speaker 1: But I also want that voluminous lash.
Speaker 4: And you know what's funny, Simone, Unlike you, I have cheated, I've strayed, I've tried all the designer mascara's, and I always come back to this, loriel One. So that's it for today's show, thanks to our partners at Walmart.
Speaker 1: On Monday, Golden Globe.
Speaker 4: Winning actress and singer Kayala Settle is gearing up for the release of Wicked, and she's stopping by to discuss what success means to her now. The bright Side is a production of Hello, Sunshine and iHeart Podcasts, and is executive produced by Reese Witherspoon.
Speaker 2: Production by Arcana Audio. Courtney Gilbert is our associate producer. Jessica Wank is our producer. Our senior producers are Janis Yamoka, Itzsi Kintania and Amy Padula.
Speaker 1: Our engineer is PJ. Shahamat.
Speaker 4: Arcana's executive producers are Francis Harlowe and Abby Ruzika. Arcana's head of production is Matt Schultz.
Speaker 2: Natalie Tulup and Maureen Polo are the executive producers for Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 4: Julia Weaver is the supervising producer, and Ali Perry is the executive producer. For iHeart Podcasts, Tim Palazzola is our showrunner. This week's episodes were recorded by Graham Gibson, Carl Catel, Jessica Crinchitch, and Bahied Fraser.
Speaker 3: Our theme song is by Anna Stump and Hamilton.
Speaker 4: Lighthauser special thanks to Connell Burn and Will Pearson. Listen and follow the bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: I'm Simone Voice.
Speaker 2: You can find me at simone Voice on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 4: I'm Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 1: That's r O b A. Y See you Monday. Keep looking on the bright side, y'all.