Speaker 1: Go ahead, hear that babies and peanut butter. Welcome to this episode of Amy and DJ Robes. This is a big deal confirmation we know that it works and that we should all be giving babies a little introduction of peanuts.
Speaker 2: Right because peanut allergies have gotten, and at least had gotten while my kids were school aged out of control to the point where nobody could bring a PB and Jada.
Speaker 3: School anymore, and that was like my go to.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that's a healthy choice, but peanut butter and banana sandwich. Oh my gosh, that's what I took every day, and I couldn't pack that for my kids because there were too many peanut allergies.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, okay, Well, we know this affects millions of kids. The estimates of kind of all over the place, but anywhere from two to four plus percent of kids have specifically a peanut allergy. About eight percent of kids have some kind of food allergy, but peanuts that is the most prevalent among our children. Well, there's a not just a new study, guidance changed, and now we have confirmation Robes that the guidance was right and this is working. Fewer kids have allergies because of this the guidance, yes.
Speaker 3: And it's significant.
Speaker 2: It's not just a few they're saying that they have saved significant I think they gave a very specific number of folks who would have had peanut allergies who now longer, do not or never developed.
Speaker 1: You've had two kids, the youngest is nineteighteen, so go back two decades. What was the guidance doctors were giving around that time for pe nuts and introducing things like that.
Speaker 2: I believe I was told to introduce it all to them. You know, you've got this schedule basically, so you can see if there's an allergy.
Speaker 3: So first you give them.
Speaker 2: I forgot what it was like baby carrots or something, and then each you know, each week you added a new food to it. And look, my dad's a food scientist. My dad's a microbiologist, and he has always been in the thought of giving or exposing kids in small amounts to things early on so they develop and if you do see something, obviously initially you can see it, but so they develop natural immunity to it so their body doesn't reject it later. That makes a lot of sense. It's the same concept of a vaccination. If you give a live or a dead virus a little bit introduce something to your body, your body will yes develop an immunity or have a correct response to it.
Speaker 1: But that did not used to be the guidance. Doctors used to suggest that you don't introduce things like peanuts, things with potential to have issues with allergens to kids until they were at least three, That you shouldn't risk it, you shouldn't mess with it. That was the guidance before guidance changed because of a twenty fifteen study and then another twenty seventeen study, and then that's when the guidance changed in twenty seventeen, so they started robes taking a look at kids. So this latest information we got was just them taking a look at kids since twenty seventeen when the official guidance changed, and when they said, yes, start introducing peanuts a little peanut butter to your kids early on. When that guidance changed, there was a sharp decline and the number of kids with peanut allergies, and they are saying, yes, we can directly link the two. They followed one hundred and twenty five thousand kids since twenty seventeen doctors said they again started introducing kids to peanuts and the diets as early as four months old. Now, as a parent, still hearing that, they just freak you out to be giving your kids something they might be allergic to and you think they might have an awful reaction to.
Speaker 2: Well, I think when you've got this perfect little newborn, yes, you're nervous about anything. Your first one, you were so careful and you you know, I'm sure I monitored you know, Eva every second after I gave her a new food, just to make sure nothing had happened. But yes, that's anxiety inducing to give your chrial something that you know can actually be a fatal or a lethal substance to some kids if they have allergies to it.
Speaker 1: Noah, So Carrie, I think that would still no matter what the guidance is. I think a lot of people are still hesitant because of what you just describe and when you said it like that, you have this perfect new n right.
Speaker 2: You don't want to do anything to you know, upset the baby or affect the baby in any wrong way.
Speaker 3: You want to make sure you do everything you can. Yes, but they say to give kids as early as four months old.
Speaker 1: Crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of kids don't even go into solid foods until six months old. So but they're saying, yes, start giving them little tiny drops or little dollops of it.
Speaker 1: Basically, And so that's what they started recommending in twenty seventeen. And folks, here is the big number. Since twenty seventeen, they have seen a forty three percent drop in allergies in kids robes. That is that's insane significant.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's wow that and that is a reason to celebrate, and that is very cool that we could figure something out like that because so not just so that's a forty three percent drop in peanut allergies and kids since twenty seventeen, but thirty six percent overall drop in food allergies in general. So it helped produce whatever your body needs to produce to protect itself against anything that it would consider a pathogen or an antigen. I don't know what the verb or the term is for that, but certainly that makes a lot of sense. So here are the other big astonishing numbers. That means that sixty thousand kids did not develop allergies that might have and forty thousand kids did not develop peanut allergies that they might have that is huge and roabes.
Speaker 1: They say the numbers could and should be better because we've been slow to implement it, and they say there's so many what do they call allogists out there who still don't give this recommendation to parents, like.
Speaker 3: Because they'd be out of business.
Speaker 1: Maybe you know I didn't die. Damn. You go right to the cynical part.
Speaker 3: It's always about money, You go in right in.
Speaker 1: I didn't even think about that. But yes, they say they've been slow to implement and so people still aren't doing it, and they're screaming and yelling about this study, Like what else do you want.
Speaker 3: Folks exactly?
Speaker 2: I mean, this is honestly a study like this is so helpful because if yes, you're a new parent now and you've got this little baby, hearing that reading that makes you feel so much more just okay with giving that little four month old a taste of peanut butter.
Speaker 1: And it's just I actually kind of remember what happened with sabine, but I think the recommendation was to yeah, it was a little dab of peanut butter. You're not And again they want to remind the recommendations. Again, Robot and I are not doctors at all. We're telling you what doctors are saying, and doctors say, you're not giving them the peanuts for or the peanut butter for nutrients. It's just a little tester, So just a little fingernail size bit is all it takes, So don't give them a whole meal.
Speaker 2: But yes, but kids do love peanut butter, so it's a fun one to do. It's I loved that moment of giving a baby a new taste, like where they're literally tasting something for the very first time. And then of course someone's always mean and gives a new baby a little lemon slice. And then really, oh my family did that statistic. Oh it was my grandfather's favorite thing to do. Get a new baby, put them at the end of the table. Everyone give them a lemon. The baby's all excited, puts the lemon up to their mouth and makes like the craziest face because it's the most sour taste. We all die laughing, wow, and then the baby usually starts crying because everyone's laughing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's unusual.
Speaker 3: This is what happens in my house at Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: Jeez. So the allergies, at least in some homes, are the least of the kids' worries. But for other kids, they do have to worry about these allergies. Now, they started to figure this out, if you go back a little bit twenty fifteen, this was interesting to me. When they started to figure this out robes. They were noticing that Jewish kids, one group of Jewish kids was ten times more likely to have a peanut allergy than this other group of Jewish kids. What was the difference. One set lived in Israel, the other set lived outside of Israel. And they have these little peanut snacks that are popular among kids. So I call these bamba bamba snacks that they start giving kids early on, and they say that's an introduction of peanuts. And they started piecing this thing together. But the big study was the leap they called it in the Learning Early about Peanut allergy leap is what they call. And this was the first one to show that, yes, if you start to introduce early on in kids, that you can have good results and avoid allergies, in particular peanut allergy.
Speaker 2: That is so cool, and you actually included when you put this all together, what a peanut allergy is anyway, And I think this is actually really interesting because for people who don't understand why it can be fatal, it's your body reacting to it. So a peanut allergy is caused when the body's own immune system mistakenly identifies proteins in peanuts as harmful and then releases chemicals that trigger allergic symptoms like hives, respiratory symptoms, and sometimes life threatening and aphylaxis.
Speaker 3: And look I developed.
Speaker 2: I've had a couple different allergies that have developed at different times in my life, but I had both times when I was pregnant, I developed allergies, and my dad told me that's very common because your immune system is getting torqued and tweaked because you're pregnant. And so I suddenly developed an allergy to avocados and it lasted ten years, but they can come and go.
Speaker 3: Allergies are fascinated.
Speaker 1: So I have a shelfish now allergy that I have a cut.
Speaker 3: Yes, while I was pregnant.
Speaker 2: So your body, like your hormonal system changes and even when you get older, you can get adult on set allergies as well. So it's my mom used to get upset because I had a lot of different allergies growing up, and certainly have hay fever and you do too comes spring.
Speaker 3: It's gotten better as I've gotten older.
Speaker 2: But my mom was told, and I think a lot of women are told, that if you breastfeed, you then reduce allergic risks to your children.
Speaker 3: But I've never seen.
Speaker 2: But she said that was like one of the one main reasons why she breastfeed mews because she thought she was protecting me from allergens.
Speaker 3: So it's like something mons or old. I Nope, it did not, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: But obviously there are a lot of other great things that come with breast milk, so I won't go into that, but it is interesting and you think about it. Moms are always trying to figure out how they can yes prevent things from happening to their children. So it's counterintuitive maybe to give your child something that you would be concerned could cause harm, like peanuts or peanut butter.
Speaker 1: And yes, again, folks, we are passing along what they're saying. They're not suggesting under any circumstance that you just start serving the baby no peanut butter. It's just a little introduction. Again, they described it as just a fingernail size pit.
Speaker 3: He wrote a little hit a couple times a week. That perfect TJ way to put it.
Speaker 1: Okay, that didn't sound like a doctor gave their recommendation, so I decided maybe I shouldn't include that. But folks, a lot of people. Look, they didn't just help a bunch of kids out. They helped a bunch of adults out. Kids don't often robes grow out of their allergies. They might be stuck with it. So exactly how many folks out there end up growing out of their peanut allergies we'll get into that. Stay with us, all right, We are back, folks here Amy and TJ talking about these peanut allergies and an avocado allergy. Apparently I just learned about maybe I have that.
Speaker 2: Mine did go Yeah, well, no, I actually had severe like I had to go to the emergency room.
Speaker 1: Oh avocado. And what age was it?
Speaker 3: That's sort of when I was pregnant with Annaly? So I was thirty two.
Speaker 2: But here's the interesting thing, And I learned this when I also then developed a prawn allergy.
Speaker 3: It took me a while to figure it out.
Speaker 2: That was also in my thirties and my DA's it's actually really common to have this happen, especially as a woman going through all the different changes you go through when you're pregnant. But I found that the more you get introduced to it, and I know anyone who has an allergy out there and understands this. So mine had gone from being a stomach irritation to a hives situation. So then I remember everywhere I was traveling internationally, if I had anything with any sort of shellfish, I didn't know what it was. I started getting hives everywhere, and then it dated a couple of years later to all of a sudden, my tongue got felt fat and my throat was swelling and it was felt anaphylactic.
Speaker 3: And that's when I.
Speaker 2: Really got scared. So yeah, I so I still to this day. You know, I do not eat shrimp or prawn.
Speaker 1: How can we grow you out of that one?
Speaker 2: Well, I would love to be because I used to be able to eat shrimp.
Speaker 3: So allergies are fascinating to me.
Speaker 2: So it's cool to think there's something you can do and the more and like, I was not introduced to seafood as a kid, ever, I grew up in the Midwest. We did not have seafood, so you have to think that that could have contributed to me after a couple of exposures to shrimp later on in life, suddenly now I have a shellfish allergy.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's really how I'd love to get you out of that one.
Speaker 3: I know, I know it's a problem.
Speaker 2: You love shrimp. Get oh, I used to love it. You know where I used to love it at Benny Hannah, I love this shrimp there.
Speaker 1: Yes, we love this some Benihanna. But no, but we talk about forty thousand kids here saved from peanut allergies, sixty thousand kids overall, say from some kind of food allergy. But roads they're saving sixty thousand adults from having to deal with this the rest of their lives because folks, generally speaking, adults are not growing out of their childhood allergies. You're kind of they're with you for life. And the estimates are only twenty thirty percent actually end up growing out of a lot of these allergies. So this is wonderful new You are potentially parents out there who follow this advice. You are saving this child possibly a lifetime of something they have to do with.
Speaker 2: And yes, because it's so scary for the parent. I know you hear about the worst case scenarios every now and then, but I can't imagine the fear of knowing that my child had a life threatening allergy, and everywhere they went out in the world, even as they got older, you still think you're a stupid kid. You're in college, you're dumb, you don't think about things the way you should. And just to know that there's something out there that seemingly seems innocuous and is.
Speaker 3: Fine for a lot of folks could kill your child.
Speaker 2: That is a huge, huge relief for a lot of folks to know that they just do this simple thing early on, you can prevent not just a lifetime of fear.
Speaker 3: For your chop, but for you. You live in fear always a.
Speaker 1: Good point, and I haven't had to deal with anything like this. I've known people that not that close to folks who have to deal with this, but it's I can't imagine a life where you're reading every label, where you're having to go through every ingredient, where you haven't asked all the questions of the waiter and the chef, and you're having to do all these things because of something that could for a lot of folks is beyond sneezing and coughing and wheezing.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, it's not just annoying, it's life threatening. Yeah, it's scary. And anyone who.
Speaker 2: Has had an anaphylactic response, which I have had twice in my life when I was in London and when I was in Scotland because they put prawn stock and things that I didn't realize and it took me a second. I'm like, wait, why is my throat getting closed, is closing up? Why is my tongue feeling fat and thick? And it all of them. You start to panic. You have to have steroids, you have to travel with an EpiPen. It's scary. But they also noticed in this different study, correct, because they've done a couple of studies that kids with ezema were two to six times higher at risk for food allergies.
Speaker 1: Yes, so that's another thing they started noticing and piecing together because the food allergens, so the allergens are getting in through the skin, So they were trying to find a way to combat that and started to introduce it to the kids and they saw the reduction. So they just made the connection. That exzema study or looking at that was another thing that gave them more evidence that they need to be looking into feeding. Putting it in your gut was what that study.
Speaker 2: Told them, because it's easier for your body to tolerate allergens through your stomach than through your skin.
Speaker 1: That is exactly what I said.
Speaker 2: That makes a lot of sense. Look, and I have been to allergists several times in my life. I used to get shots in my arms to try and prevent seasonal allergies.
Speaker 3: I have been.
Speaker 2: They have told me I'm allergic to everything that grows and listed things from cherries to watermelon whatever. I still eat what I want for the most part, but it's nice to know that introducing in small doses through the advice of your doctor, you know, certain foods to your children can actually have a lifetime of benefits.
Speaker 1: Officially, what are you allergic to? Food? Allergy?
Speaker 2: The only thing I know is prawns right now, because and avocados I just have to I can still, I can have.
Speaker 3: Them now, but I have to be careful about how much I have.
Speaker 2: It's so weird to have that developed because if I have like a full I get really like my stomach.
Speaker 3: I actually want to die. It's the worst feeling in the world. Are you allergic to anything?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Any things? You only eat like eight things? Okay, it's working for you.
Speaker 1: Well, folks, there you go. This is a very very big deal and a very big deal in not just medical news, but could change really lives moving forward thousands and thousands and save lives. Even so, we thought we would hop on and share that so as always we appreciate you listening to us. So for now I'm TJ. Holmes alongside my partner, Hey me and bla blah. Talk to all SA