Speaker 1: Hey, folks, Mark Kenyan here and real quick, before we kick off the regular episode, I want to make up for an error we had last week in which we forgot to appropriately celebrate the month of November. And as any of you longtime listeners know, when it's November, we celebrate that most wonderful time to kill deer. And with that in mind, this year, we launched our latest rut themed tune, Big White Tails. So before we get into our main episode, our main topic of conversation, I want to set the mood appropriately and get that song playing.
Speaker 2: Enjoy.
Speaker 3: It's that time of the year again. I'm back, Marcus Kenyan. How are you your son of a gadwall? You look terrible. I'm just kidding a remma. I'm sorry, I'm late.
Speaker 4: I crashed my recumbent bicycle into the side of a quiz nose and I know what you're thinking. I am as sober as a newborn blue crab. I swear to you, this is just kombucha.
Speaker 1: I'm watching the gut health.
Speaker 2: You gotta do it as you get older.
Speaker 4: And also I'm wearing this ankle bracelet that makes a beep beep sound. If I have a drop of the stuff also alerts the authorities, who in turn alert my parole officer. So there'll be none of that in the studio today. I promise you.
Speaker 2: Let's get go.
Speaker 5: Oh you're queueing it up already.
Speaker 4: Okay, I thought we'd learned a lesson this year, but I guess not.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 6: I love those dagy bi big white tape, those beachy bi big wide tails. I love those be achie b get eight chats eat tales. I love those be atchie b wat tails.
Speaker 4: Big white tails, big white tails.
Speaker 1: Big white tails are great.
Speaker 4: Oh, what fun it is to sit in the freezing cold tree all day? Big white tails, big white tail, big white tails are great. Hold, what fun it is to sit in the freezing cold tree all day? Dashing through the woods for the morning light, turns grave across the fields and draws creep in all the way, climb into the tree. Big folks are on the wave? What fun he is to sit and wait for my gosh dan dere all day?
Speaker 1: Oh big, I'm sorry? What is this?
Speaker 4: Pisocado strings? Who do you think I am? Enya?
Speaker 1: Get this out here. I don't want to hear it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Big.
Speaker 3: White tails, big white tails, big white tails are great, hold fun.
Speaker 4: It is to sit in the freezing cold tree all day. I hope sand dreams are high the rut. He's finally here, Mark said, it's the most wonderful time. I'm to kill o whitetail deer bingch points and pettings where you'll find me hang it twenty feet in a tree grunt tubes my bowel inspector Camos really can't be belah, he haught two ago. I thought that this was fun, but now I'm frozen to my seat, and the good times they are gone. I've ate up all my snacks, my hands and toes unnumb and we're gonna climb down.
Speaker 1: From my stand.
Speaker 4: That son of a but decided to come out.
Speaker 6: Of those meegy be white takes those e bagy bee big white tastes.
Speaker 7: I love those beagy big dup yall eight shot ge etails. I love those big white tails all day.
Speaker 4: I don't know why this is happening, I swear to God, Oh, officer, what seems to be the problem here? Oh this, I don't know why this is happening. It must be a malfunction, you know. Sometimes it happens when the batteries run low. You don't need to smell that. That's just Kombuchai. Okay, yes, you've got me. It's ever clear and pacific. Kuli Caprice Son. I am so so sorry. I don't know why my life has brought me here. Mark Marcus, I'm so sorry. Enjoy the rut or whatever.
Speaker 2: Good luck.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the Wired to Hunt Podcast, your guide to the White Tail Woods, presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light, Go Farther, Stay Longer, and now your host, Mark Kenyon.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Wired to Hunt Podcast. This week on the show, Tony and I break down our recent success in the Brow and Wisconsin and detail the strategies we employed and how you can apply them yourself. All right, Welcome to the Wired to Hunt Podcast, brought to you by First Light and Camo for Conservation. If you are listening to this on the day it drops, it is November twenty three, twenty twenty three, and you might be tired. You might be wor out, have a sore tail end or a sore back, droopy baggy eyes, or whatever it might be in your case. Because we've just endured the marathon of the peak of the rut. That's when rocations usually happen. That's when we're pinning all of our hopes and dreams on a certain set of days. And Tony and I we've survived it and we came out the other end, and we've got some stories to tell, don't we, Buddy?
Speaker 2: We do. And I got to ask you, Mark, is the Greater White Tail community kind of ghosting you now because you keep calling me to be on these episodes. I'm wondering, did you lose a lot of your buddies in the industry or what?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're getting blackball. No guests left, it's just me, Tony.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: But it is hard to find guests this time of the year because everyone's hunting all the time. But it worked out well because coming into the season, you and I talked about how I want to have more episodes of you and me talking about our own hunts, right because people like to follow along with what we're doing and like to hear our first hand experiences. But the risk of that is that if you and I have a bunch of crappy hunts, we have not a lot of exciting things to tell. Fortunately, every single one of these episodes that we've done just you and me, we've each had a shot out, a deer or a kill to talk about, so we've had big things to talk about every week, and the same ghosts for today. Because I killed the buck during the rut in Nebraska, you kill the buck during the rut in Wisconsin, and you with your daughter when she killed a deer. Was that beginning of November as well?
Speaker 2: Yep? Okay, yep, So that was first week sometime six seventh, something like that, So pretty much the heart of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we have got a lot to cover. I want to cover those stories, and I want to, you know, as we try to do not just tell the story, but really break down the strategies we employed, the tactics that worked, maybe the things that didn't work along the way, any lessons learned, and really try to make this useful for folks so they can take what we learned from this and apply it to their own hunt.
Speaker 2: So that's the game plan.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk through a bunch of things related to the last three weeks of hunting, and then also at the end, Tony, if your game for this, I want to look forward a little bit too, and just kind of start setting the stage for what's to come. So how we might be thinking about our hunts the last week of November, how our mindset must shift once December comes around, and just help people you prepare for this next phase of the season, because I think you know, I don't know if you feel this way, but once Thanksgiving hits, it's a big shift as far as my hunting approach and really what I'm expecting and planning for. So yeah, we should probably cover that a little bit too.
Speaker 2: Me too, man. I go from I set my boat down and I pick up my twelve gage and I call my dogs, I go chase roosters for a while. Yeah, you might have the right idea.
Speaker 1: So tell me this first off, how are you feeling right now? Like we're we're talking here mid November, when we're actually talking, Are you feeling good? Are you feeling tired? Are you feeling anything in between?
Speaker 2: Where are you at? I feel good, man. I've had a I've had a fun season. I've had a you know, I had fun with my daughters and I had fund myself. I've hunted a few different states and had good hunts, and I'm I'm feeling good man, and I still have I have one on left that we can talk about later that I'm really looking forward to. And it's just been, you know, it's it's a weird I feel like this season has been weird for me, you know, Like I know you'll probably talk about this with your Nebraska recap. I feel like I've had a lot of stuff kind of go wrong, but also the opposite end has hit pretty quick. And so even though some of these things that like could ruin a hunt happen, I mean there's going to happen. I feel like I've had a pretty level season as far as the you know, the downside being meeting the upside and it kind of just being a really really productive season. So I feel good man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good. That's a good place to be at this time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I've I've had seasons where I don't feel this way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I kind of feel somewhere less than I should, and I don't I don't quite know how to process that, but I guess I am letting the situation with the Y nine cloud everything else because I have not felt satisfied, felt and I keep on telling myself, like you got to shake yourself out of this.
Speaker 2: And I'm working on that.
Speaker 1: But I've let my self dwell on that longer than I know I should. But you know, if anyone didn't hear two weeks ago or three weeks ago when we lasted our episode together, you know, I've had one buck I was after in Michigan, lot lots of history. That was like my number one goal for the year, without a doubt, and you know, got the shot at him, hit him in the shoulder and couldn't recover him. But coming out of that, I felt so confident that he'd be back, Like just what, you know, I can see the footage, We see the arrow like ninety nine percent of it sticking out of the shoulder, and then we do the blood trail, and the blood trail is exactly like you would expect with a shoulder shot deer, Like there's decent blood fur ways, drippy, droppy, and then just slowly dries up and then nothing. And we were able to follow like a little tiny drip drop blood trail with a dog for three quarters of a mile, you know, And after that, I was like, man, we all were at the end, We're like, hey, we're following a living deer. This deer's just been walking in a straight line forever. And now he just curled back into his bedroom. And you know he's going to be chasing dose tomorrow probably or something like that. That's what we're telling ourselves on October thirtieth. But I still haven't seen him. I still don't have pictures of him, and now it's mid November, and so I just have not been able to shake that, Like I just keep thinking about it and dwelling on it, and so that's clouded over everything, like even and.
Speaker 2: I hate that this is the case.
Speaker 1: But I killed that buck in Nebraska, which we'll talk about here in a second, and my dad. I was talking to my dad in the drive home, and he was so excited for me. Was like, oh man, that's awesome. You must be so stoked. This must make up for what happened the other day. And I was like no, I got mad at him. I was like like no, not at all, Like I'm not I'm hardly even celebrating like this because of what happened. So this is a long winded way of saying that I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I've not been able to shake that kind of gloom that has settled on me because of what happened with the why nine and and so I you know, I got to work through that. I'm working through that, and I think, you know, some of the upcoming hunts will help me with that, because I'll be going out with my kids, taking them to deer camp and that'll be a lot of fun and all those other things.
Speaker 2: But November for me, are you are you at a place with him where you're starting to doubt whether he lived?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That's I mean, like, are you getting there where you're like, man, maybe I really really did kill him. I don't know how I could have.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've had this conversation with myself a thousand times, Tony, Like, I've gone back and forth so many times. I've watched the footage so many times, and I don't see how that could have killed him. But I also don't understand why it's been sixteen days or something like that, seventeen days and I don't have a picture yet, and I haven't seen him yet. And he was prior to that, it was like every single day. Maybe there'd be a two day gap here there, but I mean almost every single day or two i'd have pictures of him. I mean, I'm in his core, of his core. And I'll jump ahead a little bit to one of the things I was going to tell you about, which is, you know, after so I shot him, had the shoulder shot, had all that kind of stuff happened. And then a couple days later I went to Nebraska, which we will talk about here shortly. And then as soon as I got back from that, I got back out hunting in the Wide Nines area. But then I also started bringing new cameras with me, and so every time I went and hunted around his core zone, I put a new camera up, and so I like, I got cameras now, like right in the good stuff. Like before I was all on the xterior and safe locations, but now I was hunting, I was like diving into the good stuff and placing cameras in there now too. So the level of surveillance I have on this deer is way beyond anything I've done before, just because I so badly want to know when he's back or if he's back, and despite that, it just just nothing's showing. So that has just, you know, every day, I've lost a little bit of hope every day, I've like, ah, gosh, why is he not back?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 1: And I know intellectually, like there are possible reasons for this, Like I've talked to numerous I've talked to Mark Jury, Bill Winky, Jeff Sturgis and several other people who have like been through this before multiple times and have all told me, like, hey, it's not unheard of for a deer with a hit like that to disappear for a couple of weeks a month or something and then have him show back up. So I know it's possible. I'm hoping on that. I'm banking on that. I've actually debated. I've wanted to go and just like do another tear down, like walk everything all over again and like check every single place in the world. But I've been battling like do I do that because I need this peace of mind? Or what if he's alive then that ruins my chance of being able to kill him and everything says he's should be alive.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: This is this is me speaking. The thoughts have been going through my mind for weeks.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I saw that video. I don't I think it's way more likely that there was just a lot of intrusion into his world in a very short period of time and he has other places to be and just said, nope, I'm that place got too risky for me for a while. I don't I just don't see that, Dear Dan from that that that video was pretty telling, man, And I think he's just he's playing it safe somewhere else and he's like, I'm not going in there for a while. There's too much going on.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope so, because my my strategy now has been to leave it completely alone for quite a while and I'm not hunting, you know, until i know he's back. So I've I've left it untouched for almost ten days now or something like that, and I'm planning on, you know, continuing on through gun season until something pops. Now, all that said, last year in November I did not get picked. I got pictures of him in a two week window from October twenty you know, from October twenty eighth through November fourteenth, I only had pictures of him two or three times. Last year, and the year before I only had one picture of him all of November. So history has shown that he does kind of vacate a little bit in November compared to other months of the year, and then at the end of November last year he showed up in a big way. So I'm hoping that maybe that's what's happened here, Like he had this crazy thing happen at the end of October, like you said, he's like, hey, I'm not into this, and then he usually kind of ruts somewhere else anyway, So maybe he took off and was doing that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: And then hopefully, just like last.
Speaker 1: Year, when November twenty two or twenty five or twenty eight hits somewhere in that ballpark, he's back feeling good. And that's that's what I'm banking.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping for.
Speaker 1: But it's just it's just been weighing on me, like I just have gone through a thousand times and.
Speaker 2: And I can't I can't get past it. I don't know, I don't think. I don't think he killed him, But I mean, you know, the thing about that is a deer like that could go get hit by a car the next night and you would like you might never know, or some other hunter might have shot him, or like there's a lot of things that could happen there, that could just be coincidental. But I think you'll just show up again, like I would just I would just think a deer like that is like he's going to play it safe for a little while and then he's gonna start sniffing around and come back in. And I don't know, I think he'll be back. I sure hope you're right, man.
Speaker 1: That would That would make me feel a whole lot better about a lot of stuff, because I don't know, there's there's some people who can say, like, oh, it's just a deer and just brush it off and move on, And I just haven't been able to do that like ever you've known me, Like I get worked up about deer every year. But what do you mean? Yeah, but but like in a case like this where I just you know, you just invest so much time and energy and everything into it and you try so hard for it to go right, and and when it doesn't, just kind of it's a tough pill swallow.
Speaker 2: Man. So yeah, Well, the worst that's the worst negative encounter, Like that's the worst outcome you can have is hitting one like that and losing it after all of that, Like it's it's the worst thing that can happen, and it just sucks. But yeah, I mean, you know, like you know, you're on a bunch of group texts in the fall, and you know, every everybody who haunts and has their buddies, I mean, stuff breaks bad a lot, like it's so it is just you know, we we are like force fed and you know, like we're like hyper aware of this through hunting media. We're like force fed the positives, the sizzle reels and like the ones that go right. And it is just so the hunting deer with a bow is so ripe for something to go wrong and it just happens.
Speaker 1: So true, and it doesn't get sad enough. And I feel like I've I've with you and I have screwed up a lot of times and talked about it a lot of times, and still I feel like it's not said enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, I missed a spike this year, Like I mean, it, it freaking happens, like it's it sucks, but it's like things go wrong and it you know, so frustrating. Yeah, yeah, unbelievably frustrating. He'll come back probably, Yeah, probably might, We'll see we hope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't help, Like, I've got a couple buddies who are just like they know how to push my buttons, and so like, whenever this topic gets brought up, they'll chime in with the negative perspective all the time, like, well, I don't know, man, it could have this could have happened. They know they're just doing it so I won't sleep at night and it's working. Classic Peter, Yeah, classic Peter or us. Anyways, that's that's, I guess, not where I expected to start this, but but that is where I am, which is awaiting the Wide nine's return, and and in the meantime, I've been hunting a different buck, which I'll tell you about here a little bit later on a different place. But let's start with some good news. How about we start with a good story and some good takeaways. Do you want to talk Wisconsin?
Speaker 2: Sure? Sure? Yeah. I mean, honestly, the the best hunt that I've had this year, the most enjoyable encounter was with my daughter, you know, a couple of weeks ago in Wisconsin and we I, you know, you and I talked a lot about the deer population over there this summer because you were going to maybe come up there and man, it's like there's a region of that area that's about fifteen miles from where I typically hunt that has a lot of deer, and the area that I'm in is like rough. I mean, the deer population is just low. I've I've got I don't know, five or six cameras over there, and I think I've gotten pictures of two dos that had faons the entire fall, and so it has just been a grind. My one daughter killed a little spike right away, and then my other daughter, you know, we hunted I guess five sits, saw one little three pointer. No, you know, no shot nothing. I mean, it took me twenty days over there between hunting with them and myself to see a dough. Just it's like it's hard to describe it. It's just like you're hunting where there are no deer, and but it's a it's a it's big woods. It's fun you see gross like it's a cool. I like the environment, it's just tough. So I told my daughter, I was like, this is our chance, Like we have a rut hunt to go do because usually you know, they'll kill pretty early and they're kind of out. They don't usually have a buck tag this late and so I was like, we're going to go do put a decoy out. Put that Dave Smith do out. We're gonna do all day sits and we're gonna get one like we because we're hunting anybody, right and know she's dude, she's awesome, man. I mean we've done We've done all day sits for turkeys, you know, like we'd never done it for deer because we never needed to. So we go over there and I had put this blind up in this spot and we sat. I said, let's sit here till noon and then we're going to go to another spot. We're just going to carry everything and move over because I think we have a good chance this evening the wind was going to switch. Whatever we sit. Nothing perfect, you know, like November sixth seventh, whatever, like frosty, beautiful, no dear, nothing moving. So we moved midday, walked over there, set up in this box blind on this on this private ground that's just in this kind of corner that's just good. Like they cut through there coming from the neighbors and they kind of go around a swamp through this little corner and I'm like, man, if they come through here and we have this decoy out. They're going to come in, you know, like they especially a little guy. Right, So we sit till like, you know, ten minutes after sunset, right, like you got like a little bit of time left. Maybe it was maybe it was a little earlier than that, but it was like we were staring down the barrel of an all day blank, right. We had twenty minutes left, half hour whatever. And I heard a stick snap back in the swamp, and I was like, that's a deer. He might be going to the neighbors or he might be coming here. And I'm like, but we got to get ready because this is going to be our chance if he shows. And I look and this little six pointer comes walking out of the swamp and he comes out and he looks at that decoy and he's about, I don't know, forty five yards away, and it was so cool because his body language just shifted like he was just like a little scrapper on the hunt. And then he saw that loan though, and he like kind of puffed up, stuck his chest out a little bit, and he walked to this scrape and scraped it and he got on his hind legs and he raked his antlers and he like it was like such a palpable difference in his body language. And he finished that up and he just walked in and he couldn't take it and ran right up to the decoy, you know, stuck his nose right on the butt, sniff it and she laced him at you know, fourteen yards and he ran off and tipped over, and it was like, it was so awesome, Like you don't you know, I don't. I don't use decoy as hardly ever, And you know, I've had very I've killed a few deer with him, but I've had like, you know, at least way more negative interactions than positive. And to have it just position one like that and it just him play the game and put on a show man. It was so freaking cool. And she was just geeked.
Speaker 1: So what was the decoy set up? Like, how do you run a decoy in that situation? How'd you position it? All that stuff?
Speaker 2: Well, so you know they're gonna approach if it's a if it's a buck decoy, they're coming in head on right, because they're not gonna they're gonna keep track of those antlers. If it's a doe decoy. They're interested in the other end, And so I set him up fourteen yards away, you know, so that deer, if he if he plays the game, he's gonna come in and he's gonna be quartered away, focused on that decoy. And that we were on a corner of a field that was supposed to be planted this year and the farmer never planted it, so it's basically bare dirt, worthless to the deer. But I knew, like the eye lines, like the site lines are really good. So I'm like, if if a deer pokes his head out and sees this in this field, he's going to see that decoy. And so I'm like, you know, if they cross through or you see a cruiser or whatever, there's a good chance that they're just gonna lay eyes on it and come and a really good chance they're going to pop out of that corner where they kind of pinch around that swamp. And so it was like it was like scripted. Man. I mean, the way he came out as soon as I saw him look at that decoy and his body language changed, I'm like, this deer is gonna die, Like he's going to come you could tell, and it was just so fun, you know. I mean, like, you know, everybody breaks about their kids and they're so biased toward their kids. But she's eleven, and she did all day out there, and she smoked him, and I was like, that is badass, man, that is cool man, that's great. That's that's as good as you can get. Yeah, especially you know, especially when you're in a situation where I you know, I told her going over there, I'm like, we might see a couple deer this weekend, like we might. But in that situation, if you you know it's the rut, and if you that and I know we own Dave smith whatever, like take this for what it's worth. That freaking decoy looks so good, Like when you when you look at that in a field and you're like, man, especially a little scrapper sees it, they're not going to turn that down during the rut.
Speaker 1: So I have never used a decoy in Michigan before until this year. I got one of those Dave smith buck decoys and so I was like, oh, let's try it, just see what happens. And this was when I'm hunting this new property. After you know, I'd hunted the Wide nine for a while after him disappearing, and then I finally said, Okay, I'm gonna back out until he returns. So I'm on this new spot where there's lower expectations, lower risk. And my worry with the decoy Michigan was always like, you put that thing out there, and deer are gonna be blowing at it and freaking out.
Speaker 2: You're gonna mess up your hunt.
Speaker 1: So I would never use that in a place where I was really after a deer, but on this other property, yeah whatever. So I just kind of wanted to see how it worked. And I did not have a single deer spook from it, and everything came in to check it out, little bucks does, and the doughs did not wig out like the worry, you know, it was always like a doe is gonna get spooky and wiggy on it and start blowing and stuff, and I didn't have that happen. In fact, I had a hot dough what I think was a hot dough. Well, a doll that could have been approaching it came over and just hung out by the buck and she just stood around it and would then start feeding next to it. And then I had another buck come in and you know, try to get that dough from the buck with my decoy. So it was very cool to see that. So I mean TBD on killing one on one hopefully someday, but uh, it was fun to experience that. At least. A question for you related to decoying. Back to what I just said, the risk of using a decoy is that it can spook some deer, at least other decoys. I've used a different decoy in the past and have had that happen in Ohio and Iowa. But do you think that in a low deer density kind of place like where you were at, decoying is actually more effective because you've got a lower risk of deer spooking, and it's maybe a higher opportunity. Like if a deer sees another deer in a low deer density area, they're even more keyed in to go check them out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, there's just it's just a rarity thing, right, you know, Like I was thinking about this, you know, I'm I'm going to be writing some on this topic. But like people were so conditioned to think you got to have like if you get your hands on some land, you've got to have these dreamy food plots and you got to do like follow like a kind of a certain pattern. But it's like, I don't know, if you're in a place with tons of good food already, you know, betting cover might be way more important, or you know, water might be way more important. Or if you're up in the big woods, you know you have betting cover everywhere. So like what's rare? Right, like the food is. And I was thinking about this with this dough decoy, I'm like, there's so few deer here that if you're a buck and you're on the if you're cruising and you don't have a dough with you, which is very likely, there's no way you're going to pass that up. Yeah, you know, and the buck that I killed, we can talk about this later, but the one that I killed in Wisconsin, this is the same scenario. So I went from never taking a decoy into the field the killing back to back deer on a decoy in similar situations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that is something that does not get talked about a lot. Makes a lot of sense. If you're in a low deer density area, you might want to have a decoy out like all the time, yep. Well, because you framed it perfectly. It's the rare thing. We always think about that, what's the rare thing from like a habitat perspective, But in some places it's just another animal. You provide that and boom, they're locked in and come and check it out.
Speaker 2: Yep. And I mean I think you could kind of apply this to calling and sense, Like I think there's a lot going on there, you know, like if you were if you were hunting there and you wanted to rattle, I mean sure, maybe you would call in a buck, but it's like, I don't know, I just don't see it, Like the density is so low, Like yeah, you could, you could rattle in a deer, but it just doesn't seem like it would be nearly as effective or you know, calling it just it doesn't feel the same way, like you know, I mean, I guess it would kind of be like, you know, fishing in a pond with like three deer or I mean three fish. You know, like you'd be like I would, I would switch my tactics on how I would do that versus just you know, like throwing top waters all over because I know there's tons of smallies here now I'm in a place that has nothing to work with, like I'm going to switch things up, you know, And I think I think it's like a really good teacher to hunt places with different densities, Like I think it forces you. I mean, that's part of the reason why the public land thing is such a great educator. Like even if you're in a really good state, you know, you if you go hunt public land, you've you've often disadvantaged yourself in a way where you have to level up a little bit to have success that you might not have to do on private land. It just forces you to think, like, how do I get through this the right way to have that encounter?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Interesting, So I guess now you've teed it up.
Speaker 2: Tell us about the buck you killed with the decoy. So I you know how it is when we when we do this, we have cameraman with us most of the time, and if we don't, like I've had an eleven year old with me the rest of the season, so I haven't had like a hunt where I'm like, I'm just going to go sit in a tree by myself and hunt. And I kind of saved my Wisconsin tag for this reason. I was like I just want to have something for myself to go do, and I kind of want to do a late rut thing anyway, because I was just I keep thinking it's going to be like a good chance to kill a big one. So anyway, I went over I guess maybe like on the eleventh or twelfth or something, and I had five or six days to hunt. And my plan was, you know, like get in deep, you know, hunt these swamps, get into these some of these places where I know there's some big deer. And I knew it was going to be like a mostly mostly I was gonna blank. But I'm like, I feel like I have a chance. And I had one spot I was saving. And this is another thing that we should probably do a whole podcast on. But I find myself, I know you do this too, Like there's a place I want to hunt, Like there's a location where I'm like, that's where I want to be now, But the wind isn't going to be right for two days, So what's my next best option? To leave that alone and just be smart about it. And I was doing that on this this spot that I really wanted to hunt, this kind of travel right along this swamp and I'm like, I can't go in there until the wind gets right, and I've got to wait like two and a half days. So I'm working other stuff and blanking, and I finally saw a dough nobody on her tail. I saw her twice like she was like all by herself, and I hunted the wind was It was like the third day I was over there. I've seen, you know, one deer so far in three days. And I sat this stand, had some neighbors come in with their four wheelers and stuff, and so it was like early in the morning, and I'm like, well, I was gonna go saddle up on this swamp edge where I really wanted to hunt. Anyway, like I was going to do that midday when the wind switched. I didn't want to do it in the dark, and so I drove back to the cab and I switched my stuff out, grab my saddle and get ready to go do that. And as I'm driving back, I saw this buck. You know how like when you see deer run, they have different kinds of ways of running, right, Like some of them are just kind of trotting along. Sometimes they bound. But when you see that like greyhound just like down digging. You know, it happens a lot if you like heart shoot them or you hit them in a heart and a bone, like they just dig.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I looked up and I was like, holy shit, there's a German shepherd or something like streaking across the road. But it was a doe and she was just booking and this buck came in behind her and they ran in to my buddy's place where I was staying. And it was like nine in the morning, and I'm like, I haven't seen an ounce of running activity yet, and I'm like, they just ran in there. They weren't anywhere near where I was going to go set up, but I was like, maybe I should go do that setup I did with my daughter just for two hours, just maybe there's maybe that dough is hot, maybe they'll come streaking through like something, you know. Kind of just like fell into my lap and made me rethink my plan because I'm like, I still have time to go do the thing I want to do, but maybe I should give this just like a little bit of time.
Speaker 1: I had all my close to where you.
Speaker 2: Saw them, I probably set up maybe like five six hundred yards away, but where they ran across that field and went back into the swamp. But I just thought that kind of activity is like pretty rare for me to see up there. So I'm like, there might be something good, you know. And so I had all my stuff with me, the decoy and everything. I'm like, I'm gonna go do this set up again. So like a moron, I'm walking across this field with a decoy at nine in the morning and go put it out, climb up in there. And I was like, this is so dumb, Like I'm I know where I want to be, Like I want to go hunt like a real hunter and not do this, Like this didn't feel right to me. But I'm sitting there and I'm like, you just you just don't know, right, And I'm like at this point, I'm like, I just want a deer to come by so I can shoot it. Like I'm like, i just want that part of the hunt. And like ten minutes after I sat down, I looked and here comes this buck trotting and I'm like, oh shit, there's one right there, and he comes through. I don't I don't think so I'm I'm not exactly sure. Maybe it was maybe it wasn't. Uh, but you know, in one of those box lines you have, like those tall windows on the side like to bohon out of. So I've got the decoy out sixteen yards quartered away, same kind of deal, and this buck's coming through at like thirty five, and he's like not looking at the decoy at all. He's just trotting. And so I'm like, I know because I've ranged it a million times because I sat there with my daughter forever, and so I'm like, holy crap, like is he gonna stop? And I'm like trying to murp him, and he just runs right on through and stops like where I can't shoot him. And so I'm like looking at him, like I can't believe this worked. And there's a buck right here, and now I'm not going to get to shoot him, like he just he's going to ignore this decoy. And I'm telling you, dude, that book. It was like his brain was running in slow motion because he was like, I'm gonna go run over here and go check for doz on like this neighboring property. But you could see it like kind of grind to a halt, and he stopped, dude, he stopped, yeah, facing yeah, He's like, oh my god, another deer. I can't believe this, like, can't be right. He's facing into the swamp and I'm thinking, I can't believe that this is gonna I'm not going to kill this deer. And he looks for like twenty seconds into the swamp, spins a one eighty and runs right up to my decoy and I shoot him just like it was and he and I don't know, it was wild, Like I couldn't. I could not believe it. And he ran off and I could see the blood coming out of his side. It was one of those wonderful blood trails where you're like, I know there's going to be a dead deer here, but I get to do the blood trail part, you know what I mean? Yeah, And so it was. It was wild. So I did basically the exact same setup twice with that decoy, and the two deer that saw it came right in. Just that's amazing wild. So and I mean, he's he's a weird deer too. I'll send you a picture. But when I saw him coming, I was like, man, that's a big deer with a runty rack, Like you know how when you're like in Texas and they're hard to judge, Like body to rack is just weird. This one's like it looked like a horse coming in with this little eight point rack and it's just it's just weird. Like I'm like, you know, like we always joke about like a call buck. I'm like, I think I just killed like the ultimate call buck because this guy's his head gear sucks and I don't you know, but it was it was wild. It was cool.
Speaker 1: Big was the big I mean, is he big? Body?
Speaker 2: Up close?
Speaker 1: Is he what you saw?
Speaker 2: It was? Yeah? Nice? I mean it just you know, and we see that up there sometimes, especially like you know, after a bad winner, it feels like they put a lot of resources into their body and not a lot of resources into their rack up there. Sometimes, I mean it catches up when you get like an old one. They're big, like they're you know, like you get one fifty one sixty deer up there legitimately, but they're the deer that like made it through and they have you know, access to the best stuff. Yeah. So but I don't know, I was pretty I was pretty freaking happy anyway. Yeah that's awesome, man.
Speaker 1: So, uh, your tactic with the decoy worked very well with a dough decoy. Would you say, now, like, if you had a buck, would you always still use that dough during the rut or would you go and use the buck decoy at some point too?
Speaker 2: Like I would make that decision. I don't think i'd use a buck decoy up there. I mean there's there's certain situations, especially like a Halloween type haunt or maybe the first couple of days of November. I would use a buck decoy. You know, it just depends, but that that dough decoy, man, I think I think we've been really conditioned to use buck decoys. And that's because we're watching stuff that's created by people who are focused on really big deer. Like if you're gonna if you're hunting, you know, a specific one sixty in the corner of this field or whatever, like you want to challenge that deer, right, And like we said earlier, if there's you know, if you're in a high deer density place, he might have does everywhere, like that's not that special to him. But I think for a lot of people who aren't, like I don't you know, if you're like I just want a decent buck, I don't need a one to fifty or whatever, or you're like, I just want to put a buck in front of me that will give me a good shot. I think that dough decoy is like way underutilized.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a really interesting point, and something like you said does not get talked about very much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'm gonna talk about it. I'm a believer now body.
Speaker 1: So other than using the dough decoy, and here follow up questions that would you use this tactic only in November or do you think in a low deer density place where you're not too terribly picky about the deer year after? Could you use dough decoy in a cut cornfield in December on a late season hunt to just get that like schooling fish effect?
Speaker 2: Yep, maybe, I mean I used to use a Montana decoy has made a couple of feeding deer decoys. They had a meal deer one first and it was just a silhouette of a deer with its head down, and then they made a white tail one. I used to use that in September, October, November and December because I would have deer come out. You know, you take that early season, you know, soybean field hunt those deer come out, you know, in seven different spots. They might make their way there. They might not. But when I would put that out, even the dose they'd come out, they get they'd get a little wiggy. They'd almost always come right over to it. And so this one and and if you're calling, you know, if you if this, this is obviously a heads up decoy. This uh, Dave Smith. You know the head's up, it's looking you know, if you if you could put one that was a head down so you couldn't really see the head, but you could see like it was a little body calling to deer all season long. Would be amazing with that because they wouldn't you know, a buck would look over there. You could and you know, dose could look over there. You could bleed Adam. Bucks could look over there. You could grunt at them whatever. They don't really there, they don't. They just know there's a deer there that's making noise. And so I think there's applications for this in a lot of ways. That would be really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I want to experiment some more with these. It's very interesting these different ways you can go about it. Is there is there any other takeaway from these two rut hunts, tony or any other lessons you learned or that we can take from them.
Speaker 2: Man, I know we say this all the time, but there's there's two things I noticed with my hunt and with seeing other people. And this is not just this is not just in the Wisconsin thing. This was down in Oklahoma. This was actually in North Dakota. There's a there's this is gonna make me sound horrible, but there's an element of laziness to a lot of people's hunting that cost them. And so when I when I killed this buck in Wisconsin, I went out just to shoot photos and drive around. I had to go pull some stands and blinds and stuff. So I was just in and out of the woods in different spots, driving around. And the amount of trucks I see pulled like all the way through the field parked on the edge of the woods. It's like, man, you could have walked two hundred yards and not done that. Like you put a totally different impact on there. And that's like that's super common, right, Like you hear that story a lot. You hear it during gun season a lot. Like riding the four wheeler out to the tree stand. Like, man, you are advertising your presence in a way. Like think how often there's a there's a truck parked right there on the edge of that field. Almost never? Yeah, and when when there is, there's always a person one hundred yards away in that ladder stand, you know, like that that kind of stuff. How you get in there, where you park, that doesn't change, man, Like it's it's like universal across the white tail space that if you're kind of taking the easy way out, you're you're probably costing yourself some encounters, I think, you know. And it's and it's often the difference between you know, fifteen minute walk in a ten minute walk or a fifteen minute walk and a five minute walk, you know, because this is white tails and we're not going that far. But it so that and just time, like you know, I had two sits in a row between North Dakota and my daughter's Dear that were all day sits where the first deear that came in at the end, which is right at the end, is the deer that we killed. And you know how it is like sometimes you kill that noon buck, sometimes it's one o'clock. Sometimes you just see something that clues you into what you should do you know at eleven o'clock in the morning, and I just think I'm getting to the point now where I'm like, I just think most hunters don't put in as much time as they should. Like if you if you're sitting there, and you're like, I could go out at three o'clock or two o'clock or one o'clock, or I could go out right now, go out right now, as long as the wind's right and the situation works, because it's just like it's just time in there, and it's it's like, you know how it feels when you walk out, especially if you're sitting in the woods, you walk out for an afternoon sit it feels like it takes a while to calm down, like the woods has to get back to like the normal rhythm. You know. It's like it's the same thing when you're you know, if you sit an elk wall or a water hole out west in September, when the frogs start chirping again and things start settling, now, you're like, okay, now something could come in. But when you walk in there, it goes quiet, and like there's just things like that. And I just think that the more time you give it the more time. And I know that, like people want to hear something way cooler than that, But I just think it's like you have to put in the hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it is not always rainbows and butterflies when you're sitting out there for ten twelve hours or whatever it is for day after day after day. But to your point, sometimes that's what takes well.
Speaker 2: And you know the thing sometimes to keep interested in that, you know, if you can do that midday switch or you know, I'm gonna sit this pinch point today and I'm gonna sit that field corner tomorrow or whatever, like giving yourself a different view because you know, we see this a lot, especially we saw this when we were filming one week in November the two years we did it. Man, you can be on a property and be in a dead zone, just dead, and you can move five hundred yards away to a different valley or something and it is on. And so sometimes you know, sometimes you think you got a volume hunt that pinch point, make it happen there. But if you if you're not wired for that, like okay, go sit a different stand, but put in your time there, like you know, make a qualified decision, but make sure that you're giving yourself a chance to like see this through, like what you need to see it through. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that changes. Scenery can make a huge difference, just as morale and focus and all that. That's that's so true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard going back to a place where you blank a whole bunch. Oh yeah, yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad that you did not blank in the end, Tony. I'm glad it came together. You put in the time, and you and your daughter came out on top.
Speaker 2: That's very good. Victorious, Yeah, victorious cocky, and I love that they both are. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: I guess I should share my story and we can break that down. And this one's quick because it was a pretty quick hunt. We talked just after I shot the Y nine. The whole thing happened that we just discussed. A day and a half later, I had left for Nebraska, fourteen hour drive thinking the whole time about you know, what just happened to Michigan and what we just talked about. So my head spinning, my wheels turning, thinking over and over and over again about what happened with the Y nine. But I kept on telling me. I said, hey, you gotta just set this aside because you're gonna you're going on your dream hunt for the year, Like this is your hunt that was just for you.
Speaker 2: Like several of my other trips.
Speaker 1: This year have been like mentoring or helping other people and like doing these different things. There wasn't a hunt that was just like go to a place where there should be a lot of big deer and do the fun thing. Like this was the hunt where I was gonna go hunt this property that I've hunted in the past that I was getting to know pretty well. I you know, last year, in like two days, I saw seven mature bucks and I shot that really nice seven point in the first night. So I said, going into this Hunt'm like, okay, Mark, let's take your time this time. Let's be picky. I bet you could kill like a big, big deer out here if you just gave it time. It's the rut in the river bottoms of Nebraska, where you know, anything's possible. So I was thinking, like, this is gonna be the dream hunt. I'm bringing my decoy in the evenings. I'm gonna put the decoy out in these open, grassy planes and gonna rattle and call and like, do all the stuff that actually might work in a place like this.
Speaker 2: I was so excited.
Speaker 1: So that was what I kept telling myself. Every time I'd start bumming about the Wide nine, I'd say, hey, shake it off, You're about to have this fun hunt like pure on an undultered fun Big bucks are gonna do big buck things. There's not gonna be anyone out there to mess it up for because this is private land that I have permission to hunt now. And you know, it's several miles of river bottom and so there's it's just grass all around it, and then there's this river that runs through the middle, and along that river there's cover and the white tails hang out down by that and they cruise up and down. I mean, as we've talked about the past, you couldn't ask for a better rut situation because you've got a built in funnel all along that river, and you also have visibility, so I can call, I can decoy, I can do all that stuff that works particularly well during the rut too. So I had a game plan going in to go back to the zone that i'd hunted the last two years. So the I had permission two years ago, I guess was two seasons ago and I hunted just two evenings at the end of a public land hunt. But on those two evenings I got to know a little spot. And then I came back last year and scouted the first night, hunted the next day, same zone, got to know it better, killed this buck, scouted around some more, put up cameras and stuff. So I'd learned some more that second year, and now coming back for year three, I had like a real game plan. You know, I knew, okay, this is one of the main betting areas. This is one of the main betting areas. This is where I think I can set up for a morning on day one. And I, you know, thought through all this on the drive out there, and you know, I'm thinking, you know, definitely holding out for like a five year old type buck, a big, big deer. You know, I don't know what that means, but like a deer that would be like And I was like, I told myself, I'm gonna pass some deer, like I'm gonna pass mature bucks that are not giants, because this is like my only chance to do that every other hunt. You know, I can't I couldn't possibly pass up on a mature buck. But this might be the kind of place I could actually be picky. So I get there chatting with the landowner.
Speaker 2: Great guy.
Speaker 1: I'm very, very very appreciative of him letting me hunt here, and you know, he was gonna let me camp out there on his property. So he went out and he showed me an area he was okay with the ca so I was all excited about that, And just before he heads out to leave, he's like, oh, and by the way, there's two other guys hunting. They're hunting the whole east side. So just as long as you don't cross this line, you can hunt the stuff on the west side. And my heart just dropped to my toes. And I don't know, I don't know what I said, but I think I just said what I just said over and over again, because all of the cover, all of the habitat, all of the stuff that I had hunted in the past, was all to the east side. Like that was my entire game plan, was hunting the east side, and basically two thirds of the property were now off limits to me because these other guys had got there first and had claimed it, and so all I had was the other third to the west, which had like very very few trees. There was cover, but it's just like this buckbrush kind of stuff is what they call it. It's just like shoulder high brush that's just right along the river. There's no trees, is set up, and I'm talking like there might be twenty yards of it along the river, and then otherwise it's grass and then there's a couple of pockets where it goes like on an inside bend, and maybe there's like fifty sixty yards of it, but I mean we're talking slim pickens. And I'm standing there thinking what am I going to do? And yeah, just what am I gonna do? Like all of my hopes and dreams went out the window, and all of a sudden, I'm thinking, like, whoa, I won't have a hard time killing any deer now.
Speaker 2: So he leaves and I.
Speaker 1: Just like I am sitting there like my whirl falling down around me and my poor camera guy. I just had met him like half hour earlier, we just met for the first time, and the land on our leaves and I look at him like, hey, dude, this is probably not gonna be the first impression I'm gonna try really hard to stay positive. But you are seeing me in full blown crisis mode right now because I just came off this really bad day in Michigan and now my entire plan for this week's hunt has just gone down in flames. So we're gonna have to do some real crisis management over the next half hour or half the head.
Speaker 2: Hold on a second mark. So the two guys that were hunting out there, didn't you say they're from Michigan? Yes? Did they know that you were? That was your spot?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it's not my spot, to be fair, right.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying is were they aware that you were hunting there? Or was this just a coincidence?
Speaker 1: So I believe they knew I was hunting there because we met them last year and they had hunted a different area last year, and and then and then this year.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not trying to throw these guys under the bus.
Speaker 1: They have every right to be there, and I'm glad they got to hunt it and they had a great hunt.
Speaker 2: Did they kill a way am I?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did they kill big killed a real nice one?
Speaker 1: Yeah? One one of them killed a big one.
Speaker 2: So you know, I wouldn't be ashamed if somebody got out there ahead of those guys next year, huh.
Speaker 1: I have no ill will towards them, and I appreciate that they had a good hunt.
Speaker 2: I'm glad they had a good hunt.
Speaker 1: But selfishly I did feel like, oh no, this is this is a bummer. So all that said to what I think is valuable to other people listening, I had that happen. I had like that flood of like oh shit kind of feelings, and then I, as quickly as I could force myself to say, Okay, stop feeling bad for yourself, stop freaking out, Like we have to reassess, like, here's the cards we have, here's the cards.
Speaker 2: We've been dealt.
Speaker 1: The only thing we can do is like think through what is the situation now? Can't change past, can't control who else is here. All we can do is like analyze the situation we have and make the very best of it and understand, like what are the positives here? Like what do we have working for us? And what I still had working for me was that nobody had been hunting this section. So while there's not as much cover, and while I didn't know much about it, it still was, you know, relatively unpressued. So that's going for me number two. It's still the rut that's going for me number three. This is still river bottom stuff. So even though the area that had a lot of good trees and a lot of good cover and next to an amazing ranch with tons of deer and stuff like, even though that was like three miles away, I still am along a river that still acts as a funnel and there's still deer. They're going to cruise up and down this that the deer do cover some ground, So I had to believe. I just told myself, like, hey, there are still things going here that can.
Speaker 2: Work for you.
Speaker 1: It's still possible. You still have to follow like the basic principles of hunting the rock, Like, still do the thing you're gonna do. Instead of having like ten different options, you might have two now, Like I might just have like one spoty canon on the north side of the river and one spoty canon on the south side, and you're just gonna hunt the heck out of it and hunt as smart as you can and see what happens. That was the mindset shift I tried to have. And that first night, instead of going I was originally going to go and hang a stand for the morning and then hunt a different spot that first night over in the zone. I knew, but when this all happened, I decide, Okay, change of plans. Instead of doing that, I'm just gonna go get up on a hill with my spotting scope and glass this area and just learn it. So I brought my bow just in case something crazy happened, but I'm just gonna need to learn.
Speaker 2: I gotta get eyes on.
Speaker 1: This and just see if there's deer, see how deer using it, See what's happening. So that's why I do in day one. I think this goes back to a major theme that we talked about after our September hunts, which was a theme that gets talked about a lot, which is just the value of learning stuff like scouting, whether it be through observation or on the ground. Like one hunt that's well informed by scouting is worth four blind hunts. You know. I think you and I have both seen that be true time and time again. So I knew in this case, like I'm going to sacrifice the night's hunt to get a really good idea of what's happening in this new spot. So I sat there on the hill my glassed, and what I saw was at first mostly discouraging. There was like nothing moving on the proper da could hunt. But I could see to a neighbor's property, and I did see some deer coming out there and feeding out on a pivot field. They head over there. The neighbor has a crop field. There's no food on the proper deck can hunt. So I saw a lot of deer leaving the river bottom on their side of the line and going.
Speaker 2: To the food on their side of the line.
Speaker 1: And then I saw one group of five doughs come out right on the line and head up towards that food. So I'm thinking, all right, there's not a lot living on my stuff right now or moving through, but there is.
Speaker 2: Food next door.
Speaker 1: So deer got to be cruising through my stuff to get to that food eventually and check or check that food, you know, for does and all that. So I'm sitting here processing and I'm thinking, all right, there's a gotta be along the river, of course, Now can I find a tree I can get up? And I spent a bunch of that night glassing trees, just trying to find a tree that would set up to get a stand or a saddline, and literally tony the entire night, I could not find one tree that I could get a saddle up into where I could like confidently say from this view, like, oh yeah, that's a tree that would get me up. It was almost all like the little low, scrubby junk trees that like are ten foot tall and a thousand branches of that kind of thing. There was a few cottonwoods like way down by the river, but they're like, the way this area works is like a shelf, and so like the shelf right by the river, the shelf drops down like ten to fifteen feet and then there's like another layer there, and there were a couple of cottonwoods down the bottom layer, so I could see the tops of them. I just couldn't tell like how much there was to work with and if I'd be able to get in it, because the thing is like if I'm going and setting up, I can't be down there and doing a bunch of limb trimming. So not only do I need to find a tree that has a trunk I can get up into high enough, but it also can't have a million branches because I can't, you know, do major trimming renovations on a tree right in the area while I'm hunting that day, right, so trying to find a tree, never find a tree. So as the evening progresses, I'm starting to think, Okay, is there somewhere I could hunt on the ground tomorrow, Like maybe I could bring my saddle stuff with me, sit in the ground for the first hour or two, and while I'm down there on the ground, maybe I can get a better look at these cottonwoods from up close, and maybe I can find one I can get up into. And as I'm thinking through that, it's last light, I'm still glassing. I spot a single deer come off of my property on the other side of the river, about six hundred yards away, maybe something like that. Five hundred six hundred yards away. I spot a big body deer come out of this brush right along the river and kind of go up this grassy hill and cross over to the neighbors. And I can see it is a decent sized buck. It's a solid buck. I can't really see well enough to tell you if it's a big big, but it's like a decent buck. And that gave me a little hope. I'm like, Okay, there's a buck doing the thing that you would hope they'd be doing.
Speaker 2: That positive.
Speaker 1: But again on that side, there's no trees, there's no nothing. So I decide the next morning, I'm gonna go do the thing where I bring in my sticks in my saddle, but I'm gonna go sit on the ground. I'm gonna tuck myself up into a ceed or tree down by the river right where that shelf breaks. So I'm gonna sit on the top of that shelf looking down to that lower bit, and there's a couple like erosion ditches, like cuts, they go down to the river. And what I had seen the previous year in the other area is that sometimes these deer would leave the river and take an erosion dish like can imagine, like like a t junction, right, and the river bottom is the top of the tee. But then every once in a while there's this ditch or gully that goes into it at a ninety degree angle, and if ever they were gonna leave the river, they would take that out. So there was a couple of those that kind of angled out from the river up towards the crop fields on the neighbors. So I thought, hey, there's a chance that a deer might you know, come into the funnel through that too. So I got where those two met, tucked myself into a seater tree. The next morning, sat there on the ground, hoping that some people come cruising through again, thinking, you know, from a rough perspective, out there, hunt the funnel, which is the river corridor, and then be close to those bends in the river where there's a little bit of that brushy stuff where you'd hope some does would bed. And nothing did that. I sat there most of the morning, had no deer moved through it all. But late morning I spotted deer on the other side of the river again and pull up my bios and it's a tank. It's a big buck, and he's over on the other side, on the neighbor side of the line. And then a second buck comes out and the two of them stand there for a while, and the big guy starts making a scrape, and I tried to snort weeze, and I tried to grunt see if I could get this deer's you know, curiosity peak to see if maybe he'd come across. Never did, but they were out there doing the thing, just kind of milling around, and then finally five doughs came out of this little brushy stuff he was standing by, and they run down cross the property line onto my side of the line, and go down to that same little patch of buck brush that the buck came out of the night prior. They drop in there, and then that big buck runs down and follows them into the same stuff. So I'm excited to have seen like a really nice buck. And he's on my side of the line, and he disappeared into this cover, and I washed him go into this brush, and then I saw him pop out on the other side and then disappear right back into it, and then nothing. And I keep on watching further down the river trying to see if he pops out of it again. I do not see him pop out the other side.
Speaker 2: But don't think of a patch of brush as that mark.
Speaker 1: So if you were to imagine, you know, a snaking river right that's making all these spends on those inside curves where it goes in, that cover might be fifty to eighty yards wide right at the biggest portion, and then where the river comes back up it gets tight again. It might be there might be no brush, or there might be five or ten yards of brush, that kind of thing. But that basic trend continues, you know, for a long ways down the river. So if you were to add up all that brush, you know, it'd be it'd be quite a bit. But like the pocket he went to was like, you know, an acre maybe two acres, and then and then you know, then it's just like a couple of little scrubby trees. And then there might be another half acre of brush, and then a couple of scrubby trees, and then there's an acre or two on another bend. Like I think, it's that kind of thing, you know, and it doesn't look like much, but when you're standing in it, it is, you know, tall enough that a deer could be moving through there and you would never be able to see him. So to the deer, it feels like, you know, great cover. So I saw him going there, I couldn't see him go out the other side. But at the same time, I knew like he certainly could just keep on going on that edge and I would probably never see him. About an hour or two later, maybe around noon, I'm still glassing over that. I keep on glassing that whole area, watching, watching, watching around noon, I see a little tiny scrubby tree in there start shaking doing that thing right, and I'm thinking, ooh, like that looks like there's a buck work in that tree. So it gives me another little glimmer of like hmm, because my big thing I was debating was is that buck in there and gonna hunker down with those dos or is he cruising two miles down the river and he's gone?
Speaker 2: And you know, on.
Speaker 1: November third or whatever this day was. You know, in my mind, I'm thinking, man, it was a very high likelihood that buck kept on cruising and just kept on going and he's not going to be anywhere near here, but you never know.
Speaker 2: And during the rut.
Speaker 1: I don't know what your thought is on this, but a lot of times, if I see a buck do something once, you can't draw too many conclusions off of like a one time thing, because there can be random movements, there can be you know, things happen outside of the ordinary during the rut. But if you see something happen twice, I would say it goes from like a one off to a trend. And I didn't necessarily think that I had this buck patterned by any kind of me, like I did not go into this thinking like, oh, he's gonna do the same thing tonight. But I said, I saw buck come out of this buck brush here last night, and I saw buck go into that buck brush this morning, and I've seen nothing else. This is something like, this is the absolute best thing I have to work off of. I need to be over there where these deer moved through there, because there's for some reason they prefer that side of the river, and uh, they don't like to side I'm on right now, So I need to figure out a way to get to that side. Two problems with that, though. One problem was that you can't cross the river. It's too deep to get across the river, and the only way to get across the river is to go several miles down the river to a bridge, get over the river on the bridge, and then you have several miles to get back to this area where the deer were. Now we could deal with that, but we had a north wind, and this is the north side of the river that we want to hunt, and so if I were to cross the river and try to walk down, I would be blowing my wind into all that brush. For these deer bedded, so I can't do that. So the game plan I have is I end up walking back to camp, get to the truck, drive the truck down a couple miles to.
Speaker 2: This bridge, cross the bridge.
Speaker 1: And then get off of the or get out of the truck, and then I was able to do a really big half moon walk so that instead of walking right along the you know, if I walk right along the river, I would spook the deer. But if I went like way way way north into the hills, I could get several of these big, big hills in between me and the river and hopefully not have my wind, you know, be able to get down to them. So it's a long way away of saying I took a very long walk to get way way way up winto them, get past them. And only once I was way past them, I circle back down to the river on their backside, and did that that afternoon, got set up over on that side. The issue with this spot again, there's no trees, so I can't hang a saddle sid I can't get up in the trees stand. So I was thinking about all this when I was sitting on the ground, thinking about how I was gonna pull it off. I was gonna have to just figure out a way to hide in that buck brush right by the river, so that with that north wind blowing, I'd be tight to the water, so my wind would blow straight into the water behind me, and hopefully that buck or some other buck doing a similar thing would come cruising through that buck brush step out of it, and then hopefully I could get a shot. I had to figure out a way to stay hidden in there. And the other thing I didn't like about it was it was gonna be uphill, so I was gonna have to shoot uphill because down the river is the lowest point and then the hill rises from there, so I was gonna be lower than the deer and trying to figure out a way to hide myself in this grass and brush. So long story short, we sneak our way over there. The wind dies down, so it's like very very very quiet trying to creep in there. I'm like a little part of my soul is dying with every step because of how crunchy everything is. Plus have a camera guy, so there's two crunches for every step, and we just went really slow, painstaking as much as we could. I actually was very frustrated because there was cattle in there, and there weren't supposed to be cattle in there, but there were. So that was like just kind of like bumming me out because cattle sometimes don't always mix well with deer. But it helped me in this case because I actually spooked some cattle as I was trying to walk in there, and I was trying to be really quiet, but when those cattle spooked, I thought, Okay, well, I'm just going to take advantage of that. I'm going to be a running cattle. So we just started scooting. As soon as those cattle started running, I started like half jogging to like pretend like mix my noise in with theirs. So I get down to the river. Then I spend like twenty minutes just standing there, thinking through, Okay, where's gonna be the best possible place to sit my butt down and hide? And I'm weighing, Okay, I have to be able to stay hidden, and I need the cameraman to be able to stay hidden. I need to also be within forty yards of where I think this deer is gonna pop out of this brush, and then there's all this tall grass, and how do I stay hidden, Like I want to use the grass to stay hidden, but then I need to be able to shoot, and I need to be able to range, and this tall, wispy grass, as you know, is a nightmare to try to get a range on anything through. And it was gonna make getting a clear shot really hard because not only am I trying to use grass, but the deer's gonna be uphill with me, so I'm not going to have the downward advantage advantage. I'm going to be shooting up and so that grass is going to be even more challenging. So again, my cameraman must have thought I was nuts because I took so long to Like I would go to one spot and I was like, uh, yeah, this is good for cover, but I just don't think I'll be able to get a shot if he comes Like if he comes this way, if he comes this way, no, I'm not gonna work. So I'd move five yards over and I'd sit here, and I'd think about, well, I could I hide here, where's my camera got go? And YadA, YadA, YadA. It took forever to do this, but I just I didn't like the situation. I was worried about shots. I was worried about us getting pegged, and I just if I had to be on the ground like this, I had to pick like the very best possible place to pull it off, and finally found a place that I thought balance those criteria. I thought I could stay hidden behind this tall grass, and then I had a patch of that buck brush right on my tail, and the camera guy could hide behind the buck brush and film around the side of it. And I had a little bit of a lane where there had been like a trail from cattle or deer or something, so you could shoot through this trail, or I could get up on my knees and kind of possibly lean around and shoot around it to where it opened up just a little bit. So I thought I had the best possible scenario and settle in, thinking to myself, like, what an idiot, You're gonna sit here, You're gonna see nothing. You've got a thousand little cactus things stuck in your stuck in your hand, and YadA, YadA, YadA, like what a disaster this is turning out to be. And then I hear some crunching to my side, and I hear like a twig snap, and another twig snap, and like, holy crap, there might be a deer coming. I like get my camera guys and say, hey, focus this deer. I hear another twig snap, and the holy crap, there's actually a buck's gonna come popping out of here, cruising early afternoon because it wasn't like primetime yet so anything like at this time here, I'm thinking it's got to be a buck, and so I like.
Speaker 2: Grab my bow. I'm getting ready, and then.
Speaker 1: Freaking cattle. So I'm like, ah no, I've gotten.
Speaker 2: All jacked up. It's just the cows again.
Speaker 1: So then I settled back in and sitting there waiting, and maybe another hour passes, and then the same thing happens. I get jacked up because I hear some twig snapping and then you hear a move. It's the cow again. So this whole thing has got like up down uptown. We get to the last hour daylight and I hear a crunch, crunch over there in the branches. Again, I'm thinking, just a cow. I'm not going to get all jack eduff about it. But I'm still like on my knees and I'm still gonna glass.
Speaker 2: I'm still gonna watch.
Speaker 1: So I'm looking off to my right side where this noise is and knowing is probably a cow. But I still I knew, like, one of these times it's not going to be a cow, so you better assume everyone's a deer because one of the times it won't be. So I'm looking over there where the sound is, where you know it's either a deer or a cow.
Speaker 2: And then I.
Speaker 1: Glanced off to my left, just by luck, I glanced to my left where there had been no sound. This is just out in the open grass, and there's the buck from that morning, standing broadside. He silently had materialized out there while I was watching for the noise in the brush. He's standing out there perfectly perfect. I'm like, holy crap, buck's right there. Holy shit. Grab my bow and he starts walking. He's like on a mission, like he's just he's cruising, moving through the quickly doing his thing. And I'm trying to range and figure out what range she was at. And I try to pre range a bunch of stuff earlier because I knew, like this is gonna be a tough scenario, so I try to pre arrange a bunch of things. But again, like everything is ranging through grass, so I'm trying to like figure out, Okay, this little part on the hill is thirty and like if you're over there, he's forty. But long story short, I'm able to get my bow get clicked on, can't get a range on him, gets him at thirty shoot and it sails right underneath his belly.
Speaker 2: And so I kind.
Speaker 1: Of in that moment and like collapsing down out of like dismay, thinking like how did you just muff another shot? And as I'm like dropping down in dismay, I noticed that he like stopped, he'd bound it off but stopped, and so I crouched I'm crouched down. I see that he stops and he's looking back. He maybe only bounced off like ten yards, stops, turns and looks, and he starts doing the head swivel. He starts doing the head bob and then just stands there and stairs for a while and stairs for a while. And as I realized that he's not running off, I'm thinking like, hey, maybe there, maybe I have another shot here. So I reached back and grabbed my quiver, and I'm hiding. I'm behind this great grass. So I picked a spot thankfully that actually did hide me very well, because I'm able to get an arrow out of my quiver, I'm able to knock another arrow, I'm able to get clipped back on, and I'm like trying to melt into the ground as best as I possibly can. And that buck starts walking towards me. So he has no idea what had happened. He never you know, saw me, He never heard me. He just heard like a weird sound and that was it. So in his mind he's thinking, like, maybe there's a dough down there, maybe there's you know, what's going on down there. So he starts coming towards me, you know, just very inquisitively, slowly, takes a few steps, stops, looks around, takes another step, stops and looks around, and just starts closing the distance. And so, you know, I shot for thirty. Later I ranged it, he was more like forty. So he's now the win from he's at forty when I shot, he bounded it off to fifty. And then he starts closing from fifty to forty, from forty to thirty, from thirty to twenty, coming head on at like twenty yards. And now I'm thinking, okay, you cannot do anything obviously, when he's coming at you like this, you need to wait until he hopefully breaks off and starts to head back off where he wanted to go. And I think he will eventually do that if you just don't get spotted. So just wait.
Speaker 2: The big thing was like.
Speaker 1: Be patient, be patient, be patiently, don't be tempted to try to pull off a crazy shot in the moment.
Speaker 2: You have to let this deer go off.
Speaker 1: And so, thank goodness, somehow, by a miracle, he got to within maybe I don't know, fifteen yards, never could figure out what we were, and then turn and started quartering away, very slightly, heading back in the direction he wanted to go. And as soon as he got to where he was slightly cornering away so that I was not fully in his frame of view, drew back, raised up him right behind the shoulder, and because of the angle that was at, because I was weighed downhill of him, I went through that front lung and top and like clipped the back of his spine and it dropped him right in his tracks and he died within ten seconds, right in front of me at twenty yards. It was nuts. It was very very intense, and I just like when you when you watch the footage of me after that, I when I turn and look back at the camera, my face is just like aw, it was just pure shocked, Like did all that just happen?
Speaker 2: I mean just crazy, crazy situation.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what uto up and down? What an up and down hunt? Huh yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean we talked about it every time we have one of these chats, right, But it is, and you mentioned this last time, like, it's not only a roller coaster day to day, it's a roller coaster hour to hour during the months, or minute a minute in this I.
Speaker 2: Mean, it just is. I mean that's but that's such a I mean, I want to hear what you think the lesson was. But when I hear that, the patience to not rush that follow up shot after you've already screwed up one is the difference maker. Like when I hear that, I'm like, that's the difference between putting your tag on that deer and not, because it is so hard to not push it and try to redeem yourself when he's doing that. But that's the right move, is just to let it play out till he gives he's when he's that close, he's probably going to give you your chance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think I think you're right. I think the patient it comes down to to a lot of like the little things that in the moment maybe seem insignificant, but they can you know, once every twenty times they matter a lot. So you know in that case, like having you know, making sure that my quiver was accessible, Like I don't want to shoot my quiver on, so I always take my quiver off. But you actually, like three years ago, did a little video for Wired to Hunt about this about the importance of like are you ready for a follow up shot at all times? And you know that's something I thought about a lot. But for some reason after we did that video together, I just always think about that every time I get set up in a new place, like double checking, like okay, if you have to have a follow up shot, are you sure that your quivers accessible? Are you sure you're at a good angle that you could reach it and do it? And so like I thought about that that night, I made sure, like Okay, where am I going to position my quiver? So if I need to carefully and hid and pop out another arrow, I can, So you know, of my last two thousand hunts. That's never mattered once, but this time it did matter. It made all the difference. Or another thing. I took so long to pick the right spot to hide on the ground, and I literally apologized to my cameraman. I told them, like, hey, I'm sorry. I know this is taking so long and you must think I'm nuts, but trust me, this is this might be important. I took so long trying to make make sure, like like looking at it like a ten yard square, but what's the best one yard square in this ten yard square that might possibly give me the balance of cover and a.
Speaker 2: Shot and all that.
Speaker 1: And if I hadn't been in that perfect spot, I do not believe I would have killed that deer because he would have pegged us or I wouldn't have been able to get that follow up shot. So I think that stuff mattered a lot. So again, like the little details and trying to think through Like I said this to him that night, I said, I can't remember why I said this, but I think that one of the very most important things that white tail hunters do, like good white tail hunters, to be a good white tail hunter is almost all about predicting possible futures and accounting for them. So it's all about, well, what if this happens, what will I do? And what if this happens, what will I do? And this is what I think might happen, So because of that, I will prepare it in this way, in this way, in this way. So like that whole night, like as we're trying to pick the right spot, I was then thinking through, Okay, if a deer's up in this spot, here's what I need to do. Here's what you need to do. If a deer pops out in this spot. Here's how we're going to react. If I need to make a move, if I need to reposition, like I practice, how will I reposition in this situation? And like there are all these little things that I try to do that most of the time don't matter, but I think, you know, in this case, it did, And so I just think those little bits of anticipation and preparation, the more of those you can stack up, the better, because, as we've talked about, so many things are outside of our control, so many things can go wrong, so many things can be surprised when the deer does this, the deer does that. If the more of those possible contingencies, you are prepared for the better And this was one of the best examples of that for me.
Speaker 2: And it like to further that point when you're telling the story about how okay, well this is where I need to be. Now I need to just like I need to run through this and figure out where where here is like the acts on the ax on the ax, like where do I really need to be? If you don't have the confidence to saddle up, to get into whatever, to get on the ground and do a natural blind, you're gonna find spots you absolutely should hunt and you're not gonna hunt them right, And that's I mean that buck that I killed in North Dakota we did. I did the same thing. I apologized to my cameraman too, because I looked at every tree, every angle, like can I get a stand? Can we saddle? Can we stand on a limb with our saddle? Like what? And then finally, just like the best scenario here is to tuck in on the ground and pick the best spot and cross your fingers that they follow the script. But if you if you're going to force it or you're just like not that confident in a bunch of different styles of ambush. You're gonna let some of those opportunities slip through, and the only way to learn is to do them. I mean, that's that's why it's so beneficial to go on hunts like you're talking about, where you put yourself in a situation where you don't have like that tree cleaned up. That's you've been planning on hunting since March, you know, like when you when you have to show up and the deer like we're here, now do your job. That stuff. It's it's different and it's important for your development. I think, oh, yeah, so so much.
Speaker 1: And it you know, that's that's a hunt I probably wouldn't have tried ten years ago like I would have been. I would not have been confident enough that you know, I could pull it off. I would have been like, ah, well there's no trees over there, or jeez, I don't know, it's gonna be super risky trying to get up there and not get winded and.
Speaker 2: YadA, YadA, YadA or whatever.
Speaker 1: But I think to your point, putting yourself out there hunting new places, being willing to take risks and try new things, and then learning from them when they don't work out you know. All of that over many years of trying this over and over and over again has given me the confidence to a to take the risk and b to believe in it enough to pay attention to the details, because the flip side could have been like I could have been willing to take the risk, but then have gotten there and been like, man, this is such a stupid idea. I'm just gonna sit somewhere and see what happens. But I tried really hard to really believe in it and really believe enough to check all of those things, to dot all those eyes, and and hey, nine times out of ten you do all that stuff and it doesn't work out still, right, like I got I happened to get lucky that on this tenth time out of ten, this one time out of ten, the buck actually followed the script and I got the opportunity and got the opportunity for the follow up. So there's a lot of luck and good fortune that went into this, of course, But you don't get to take advantage of that luck and good fortune if you don't do all those other little things that put you in a position to take advantage of it. For sure, for sure, Man, that was That was the takeaway for me from that hunt. It was the you know, the little detail steck enough. It was shaking off the bad news and like believing in the thing, like okay, hey, like everything I thought I was going to do, like Plan ABC and D are gone. And I remember telling my camera guys like, man, bad news is I don't really have a plan B, Like I don't have a Plan C or D, Like I really was all in on this zone and I had a bunch of abcde options over in that zone.
Speaker 2: But now I'm in a.
Speaker 1: Totally different place miles away where I had no thoughts of trying to be over here. So I don't know what to do, but I'm gonna have to figure it out quick. And after that initial hour, I was like, ugh, you know, it just got back down to okay, now what now what? And that helped in a big in a big way. And then finally, I think the last thing to think about here is you hear a lot about how you can't pattern deer during the rut and everything's random during the rut or whatever it is, YadA YadA, YadA, Right, And it might be true that a buck, a single specific buck, may not do the same thing every night, like he might do in September, right, But I think in this case, like I saw a trend, and I couldn't guarantee. I couldn't. I didn't know for sure if it was the same buck from the night before and that morning, and I didn't know if the same buck from that morning would do the same thing that night. But I noticed a trend and that was enough of a pattern, quote unquote pattern for me to say like, hey, I might be stupid, but I'm not that stupid, Like you gotta be over there. And and so I made And it was inconvenient to have to figure out a way to go over there and do a big hike, and knowing I was gonna have to hunt the ground and again, and knowing that there was the.
Speaker 2: Risk of the wind and all these things.
Speaker 1: And I had moments where I thought, well, maybe you should just, you know, do something different, but but every time I went back like, no, you gotta be over there. You have to. You saw this thing. It's you got to listen with the deer telling you. We say this a lot like when the deer tell you something, you have to listen, even if it's not the convenient thing, even if it's not the thing that lines up with your original plan. And that was that was this case. Yes it was the rut. Yes, I wasn't counting on that exact deer do the exact same thing, but hey, you know what he did and he's dead now. So that was a big lesson and reminder for me during the rut that when you see something like that, you've got to jump on it pretty quickly. If you know, there might be something like a random buck chasing a dough, right, and that happens in one place, and that happens someplace else, and okay, like in that situation, yeah, that's random if it's a completely wild, random thing like that. But when you see like a cruising buck do something and then a cruising buck do the same thing again, they're telling you something about that area, like they're cruising through there for a reason. You got to listen to that.
Speaker 2: You gotta move on that. That's that's such an important distinction to make. A chase is just different. But cruising is reliable. And what one buck does to cruise, he's doing because there's advantages to it, and it's point A to B and he's got the wind in the right situation and he knows where he's going and other bucks know that so valuable to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that was my hunt, man, That's awesome, dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was wild.
Speaker 1: It was unexpected many ways, but I appreciate it if they ended well. And uh yeah, I wrapped up things and hopped in the truck and drove home and right away got back after the Wide nine. I was hoping, you know, thinking he'd be back, and so hunted another three days for him, like I told you, and got in all there around his core area again, like thinking, just be around this major area that he spent most of his life and be in the dough betting areas and be on the edge of that stuff, and if he's there, he'll show. And he did not, So now I'm now I'm waiting, and went hunted a new farm because I eventually decided I was gonna wait to hunt the Wide nine until he shows back up. So I went hunted a different spot where I was after a buck. There's a pretty nice deer over there, kind of a funky titan tall deer. And the only interesting encounter I had with him, I think, is the one that I told you about. In the beginning where I saw him runnerunerneath another other hunter and then another hunter came in and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of where I'm in.
Speaker 1: That's the only other deer in Michigan that I would shoot. So I'm just kind of in a holding pattern a little bit waiting for of the Y nine to show back up or to you know, try to get a crack at this other deer and a little bit of a lost puppy feeling at the moment.
Speaker 2: But I got to try to practice what I preach and.
Speaker 1: Keep on keeping on and and uh, you know.
Speaker 2: See what You've been a running cow and a lost puppy in the same podcast, Buddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it's hunting season, Tony. Anything's possible. So really quick, we got to wrap this up. But I want to take like just a couple of minutes here for you to give me a quick rundown of your thoughts for gun season hunting. I think you did a Foundations episode about this this week that we should we should tease for people, but give us like a real quick cliff notes. If folks have a gun season opening or that just opened and now they're dealing with the ramifications of that. What's a few things people should be thinking about because that's happened in a bunch of states right now.
Speaker 2: Man, I think the number one secret to being a better gun hunter is not hunting like most gun hunters like, get in the cover, get off the easy views. You know, think if you think about your gun hunting setups from a bow hunter's perspective, as far as the wind and why they should be there, and you forget that you have a gun that you can shoot three hundred yards with and you want to be able to see three hundred yards in every direction. When you start thinking about what does the deer need? Right now? When half a million people go into the woods, it's always going to be in the cover, unless unless you just have a banging spot. But if you know, if you're primarily hunting, your crossing your fingers, do something different. Get in where it's tighter, where your shots are, you know, forty fifty sixty yards whatever, not this not just reach out and touch them on the power line and go hunt where those deer are going to go, you know, like that that field edge stuff, the open clearcut stuff's great maybe opening day, but after that they're pretty clued into what's going on, and it's time to get into the into the thick stuff. I think. I think that's like the the hardest thing for gun hunters to do, but probably the most important by the time you're on day two of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty tough to have a three hundred yard range but only be able to shoot thirty yards. But to your point, probably the better option if you are in a couple days into the season and after a deer that's not completely brainded. Yep, all right, man, I think that's a good place to leave things. Do you remember the name of that podcast that you did that's all about gun season?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It dropped the fourteenth week. Yeah, yeah, I don't remember what the title was.
Speaker 1: Something about like being your best orange clad self or something.
Speaker 2: How to be yourself? Yeah, I can't remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if you want some more advice for being more effective hunter during gun season, go listen to Tony's episode from last week on Foundations and Well that Tony appreciates you joining me man, sharing your story. Congrats and the buck, congrats to your daughter, and and I hope that in another couple of weeks we will both have another buck or two down to do another one of these. I'm gonna keep on keeping on and maybe maybe you'll have a couple of pheasants down and I'll have a buck down.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have both, buddy, I'm gonna I'm gonna have some roosters down, and I'm gonna see what I can do about killing a public land muzzle or buck here in just a little bit too, so we'll have some more to talk about here in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: All right, sounds good man, And to all of you listening, appreciate you tuning in. Best of luck out there as we round out on November, as you maybe are kicking off gun season or late season.
Speaker 2: Which is quickly approaching here. We'll be talking about that soon.
Speaker 1: All of it is great and good and fun and write for opportunity. So thanks for being here, thanks for being a part of this community, and stay wired to hunt.