Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Nancy Glass. In the Burden of Guilt podcast, we shared the story of Tracy rikel Burns, who as a child was told she was responsible for the death of her four month old brother, Matthew. You heard the lengths she went to in order to get the truth and in the process, get justice from Matthew. If you remember, after several twists and turns in the courtroom, it was Tracy Roquel's father, Jan, who was ultimately found guilty of killing baby Matthew. And while you didn't get to hear from Jan on the podcast, you will be able to see him and hear from him in the Burden of Guilt docuseries on Paramount Plus, premiering on February fourth. Jan is currently serving time at a Florida prison, and when you see him, you will see how he's been affected by the ravages of time and time in prison. He did talk with me a handful of times and he answered my questions, but I can't say the answers he gave me were truthful. In fact, there's plenty of evidence that the answers were outright lies. Here's a part of the conversation you will see on Burden of kilt the docuseries, How do you think the baby died? What do you think happened to him?
Speaker 2: I don't really know how to answer that question because I don't know. I didn't know that this was going to end up being the way it ended up being. I should have never ever let Tracy be blamed. That goes without saying. I can't change that. I can't fix it, I can't correct it. The only thing I can assure you, miss class, is I didn't harm that little boy. I've done the time for a crime I didn't do. That's all that minors.
Speaker 1: You sound very sympathetic, but Kathy and Tracy Raquel both have talked about how you beat them and how you hurt them.
Speaker 2: Okay, one, I never put a hand to Tracy. That's an outright life. I'll ignore you before I do that. You can't go anywhere in my history and find anything other than somebody's mouth saying I did something. There's probably twenty five other women out there that I are still alive that I dated all through that time. Ask any of those girls if I ever put my hands on them, and I never did.
Speaker 1: What happened to Tracy Raquel on the day that Matthew died. Did she fall down a cement's staircase or was she pushed down a cement's staircase?
Speaker 2: Where did this come from?
Speaker 1: Well, that day she was taken to the pediatrician because she was bleeding out of her ears and the story was that she fell down a concrete staircase.
Speaker 2: What that's I don't know whoever's been feeding you this bull crap? That's what this is at the bull crap. That's a story that somebody just made up. And it sounds like someone with demented mind making these this crap up.
Speaker 1: Well, Jim, there's documentation of it.
Speaker 2: But let's don't butt me none. Okay, let's don't butt me any I'm trying to explain something to you, and you're coming to me with this bull crap from the left field.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a documentation and there are a medical recreation.
Speaker 2: Showed me the documentation and showed me the medical records of work. That child was harmed in any shape form of fashion.
Speaker 1: What about Racy Riquel saying that you put out a cigarette on her?
Speaker 3: Listen, Tracy came up with some of the uh all gone his stories of it. That part about me putting her Kathy in her closet, pouring a beer on her. You should have somebody should have asked her, well, where's the where's the burn?
Speaker 1: Bark Well, she was a small child. I mean, there's a chance it healed.
Speaker 3: Listen, I'm not a sadistic person. I'm not a sick person. Yeah, I've made some mistakes in my life, but one of them is I've never murdered anyone. I've never raped anyone, and I've never harmed a woman. And I damn sure I ain't never heard of little folks. You can ask me why I didn't do this and why I didn't do that, and help. I don't know why I didn't do some of the things that I didn't do, but I didn't do them. But that don't mean I heard that little boy. Anybody to please I did can kiss my backside.
Speaker 1: You can see and hear more of jan in the complete three part docu series on Paramount Plus beginning February fourth,