Speaker 1: Speaks to the plane in Charlamagne to God here and as we come closer the closing out this year, I just want to say thank you for tuning it into the Black Podcast Network. There have been so many great moments over the past year. Take a listen to some of those captivating moments in this special best of episode.
Speaker 2: He is the Man, here's my friend. He is a.
Speaker 1: Legend of icon, a motherfucking tycoon. In case you don't know what they're talking about, we talking about the one and only impeccable Chris Love of Lover Lula.
Speaker 2: Man, your career is just phenomenal. Right, thank you, bro? When is the time?
Speaker 1: Because I know for my own personal experience, sometimes I still don't think I've made it right off fils don't feel like I got to.
Speaker 2: The level where I want to get.
Speaker 1: But there's so many people in this world that says, oh, man, when was the time that you felt like, man, I'm here, like I can't be man.
Speaker 2: It was It was two different times.
Speaker 3: So one, like I told you, I used to work in that radio station and they never had us on contracts because I was myself and a guy by the name of pun Daddy were the youngest, the youngest guys at the radio station DC Now, no, no, not that, not that. So we were the youngest people at the station. So basically everybody else had contracts at least year contracts. So me and him, I'm like, again, I'm eighteen, so I'm young as hell. I don't know shit. I'm just out here having fun, making making more money than I've seen hosting clubs. So since they didn't have us on a contract, you know, we were in fear of losing our jobs every day because we were live wise. We were doing stupid shit at that radio station, things that you would get fired for immediately, shock.
Speaker 2: Jock type shit.
Speaker 1: You're like, fine, shock jockshit shock jock is like doing something that you know, ah, youre.
Speaker 3: Talk about against the competitors. Suggest No, I'm talking about just stupid young ship like you know, smoking weed and the limit almost burning the goddamn car down. So yeah, yeah, yeah. The crazy shit is that at the end of the day when I was when once your fantasy came out, so I had an independent Wait so.
Speaker 1: What talmow, tmaow, what's your fantasy came up while you're at the radio station.
Speaker 2: That's I'll cut you quick.
Speaker 3: So the whole story goes, I'm at this station and I'm making these you know, little hundreds of dollars here and there while I'm hosting these clubs. So I built up enough money to where I had about five to ten thousand dollars, where I put all that money back into my own album. So I'm paying for all my record and all my mix and all my mastering. And this is a time when Vinyl was still out, So I pressed this whole fucking CD together and I had the vinyl and everything, and then I distributed independently, even though first you kind of sell the shit out to trunk and there was an independent distributor in Atlanta. So once I started put I put the shit out. But the craziest, most dynamic, strategic part about this whole.
Speaker 2: Plan is in radio.
Speaker 3: As you know, as time goes on, everybody at radio they moved a different city, so a lot of people don't stay in one particular slot in one city at the time.
Speaker 2: So during that to four years.
Speaker 3: That I told you, I was up there trying to get put on as Ludicris, and it eventually had to invest in myself. I had a lot of friends in different places that had dispersed all around the country. So I literally told them, yo, I got this single. It's called What's Your Fantasy? Just give it a fucking try on your station, other stations, my friends, so I had a network, but it was all it was all a plan. So they started playing it. The ship gets instant reaction, obviously, instant reaction on there on their channels. So once the ship started to blow up and I yes, spins, which is what's giving me. We had like eight hundred bdspins on our independent artists, which was unfucking heard of. So this is when all the labels started calling me. Before I get to that, we motherfucking started calling my cell phone. I don't even know how to fuck they got my cell phone. I'm talking about CEOs at every goddamn label, and you know, that's another story for another day. But ended up signing with Death Jam and they sent me my contract, and I remember being on air and all those times that this station made me feel like I could get fired every fucking day, signing my contract while I was still on the air, and that being one of the best fucking days of my life. Knowing that I didn't tell them to go fuck themselves or nothing. I was Radio I love I just literally after I signed that contract with him and said, hey, I probably won't be working here anymore, just letting y'all know I'm gonna put my two weeks in Okay.
Speaker 2: In two weeks of life. But how did you? No?
Speaker 3: Symbolic as fuck? So the crazy shit is, you know DJ Gregg Street. Greg Street was my competitor. So he's on this other station that you everything you do is competing against the other station. And we were on the same time slide, which is six to ten. So the moment when What's your Fantasy started gaining traction and I'm on the air the same as him, and this motherfucker started playing What's your Fantasy, somebody text me and was like, Yo, Greg Street is playing your song right now. I said, I'm not believing that shit. So were on commercial break. I turned to this but Bucker station and I hear my song on the competitors station, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, that's quick.
Speaker 3: I fucking made it one of the best days of my life. So all that in one you can call it. That's the first time time. Okay, Number two is gonna be me winning that rap album Best Rap Album at the Grammys. So this was probably a good ten years later, every time I went to the Grammys, I'm in the category with Eminem and Jah Rule and these motherfuckers were killing this shit.
Speaker 2: Jay Z d MX Luther's huge artists.
Speaker 3: But when it comes to these motherfuckers, I'm losing every motherfucking award right.
Speaker 2: Yet, so yeah, it's all good.
Speaker 3: So I come around and finally, man, I make this album released Therapy Bro, and I went on there and I was like, man, I'm making this fucking album and I'm going to win Best Rap Album for this ship.
Speaker 2: I don't care what happens.
Speaker 3: I'm specifically going in writing this ship, making it the way it needs to be. And when they called my fucking name, Bro, I was like, that was that did it for me? Because of you know, all the years. It was like over a decade of loss and then finally getting that recognition and then Best Rap Album at that which you already know as hard as fucking and they weren't really giving the rap category.
Speaker 2: What they needed.
Speaker 3: And then a funny story to that, I know, Shaka gonna laugh at this shit because I was so passionate after I got that award. I went backstage and at this time, they had all the artists separated by curtains, so motherfuckers.
Speaker 2: Weren't in specific rooms. I say that to.
Speaker 3: Say I get back and I'm like, yeah, fuck yeah, I made it.
Speaker 2: I did it. I won. I literally set out this album to make it get a Grammy and I got it.
Speaker 3: And all of a sudden, I hear this voice from the other room, on the other side of the curtain, and the motherfucker's.
Speaker 2: Like, shut the fuck up, man, some of us didn't win anything. Like who the fuck is that.
Speaker 3: I pulled the curtain back. This nigga justin Timberlake is on the other side of that motherfucker. Oh, the nigga said, shut the fuck up. Some of us didn't win. And he got there grammed this year. What the fuck nigga justin Gangster Broly.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: And you know what, I'm gonna say something else. We talked about t earlier and like all the ship that we've been through, something that I do respect of all the ship that we've been through, that same setting, within that same timeframe as me winning, because he was in the same category. He came up to me and said congratulates, look me in my eye, gave his hand and said congratulations.
Speaker 2: That's some hard ship for a nigga to do. So you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: We talked all the ship that we had that was negativity. That's something I want everybody to know that was positive as fun and I.
Speaker 1: Respect that because we asked him about you on the same show and he kind of had the same sentiment. Let's give some flowers, get some flowers, give some little flowers, and be.
Speaker 2: Honest with you.
Speaker 1: From the beginning of our show, we wanted to give you these flowers. We wanted to tell you how great you are. You you he's been a year one request. We've been year one request.
Speaker 4: You're in the quarantine episode, but that didn't count.
Speaker 2: But let me just say that that means the world you have you have.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you who you are as an artist. Right, I'm gonna tell you who I was a person, but who you are as an artist.
Speaker 2: You have that unique of fitting. Let's let's just make a look.
Speaker 1: In the flower that lady for you. You're the first one to get the flowers in a breech a new iteration case. Yes, because there's love of people but let me tell you who you are. Let me tell you who you.
Speaker 3: Are, tell me about myself, mother fucker, let's go.
Speaker 2: I want to hear. There isn't There isn't.
Speaker 1: Another artist who can fit in a gangster genre and kind of like a backpack genre and kind of like a top forty genre and kind of like any genre and kind of fit there.
Speaker 2: You know how you like? That's love.
Speaker 4: He's a You're a rappers rapper, That's what it is. Really rest yes coming from that means the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just being honest with you. That means you can more into anything. Man.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if I said this earlier, but one of my biggest gripes with Pharrell was when I first got in the studio Forharrell, he was like, you have to embrace your character.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry that leor was that Pharrell Leo Farrell? No?
Speaker 1: But Pharrell was like no, but he really was like, you have to embrace your character.
Speaker 2: How buster embraces a character?
Speaker 1: And I didn't understand because I was like, I'm not a character, being who I am, and He's like, it doesn't matter who you think you are, is how the people perceive you. And I never embraced my character, and I felt like, from the moment I've seen you from what's your fantasy?
Speaker 2: I was like, this guy's embracing his character.
Speaker 1: He's doing exactly what Forrell. And by the way, throw them bolls. I heard that beat, I heard this.
Speaker 2: You gotta tell you what happened. The rumor is the true one year.
Speaker 1: For twenty one years, I've been kicking my ass and kicking myself in the ass.
Speaker 2: It was not for you, bro, it wasn't for you. You knew that it wasn't for me. It wasn't for you.
Speaker 1: It was I would have to go to go to the hospital that I wouldn't have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that wasn't for you. It wasn't.
Speaker 1: Every time I see the video with you upside down, I was like, that's.
Speaker 2: How it's heard to be. I was upside down. Bro.
Speaker 3: Let me say, as you're giving me my flowers, I'm gonna tell you band from TV, that ship changed my fucking life.
Speaker 2: My life.
Speaker 3: So anything, look, anything you're giving me right now, DNA that helped mold me.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on.
Speaker 1: But let's talk about throw them bolls. Oh, so the hospitality you in the studio, that's just after my fantasy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is after and we had to literally turn the fucking album in like the day after.
Speaker 4: Im it's already death, not the independent version of what you were putting out already.
Speaker 2: No, this is death, jan this is one what version of death?
Speaker 5: L A.
Speaker 2: This is the first album.
Speaker 1: Fat Kevin, Fat Kevin.
Speaker 2: Let's just be clear. It two different Kevin's. Yes, I Love, I love all three.
Speaker 4: Rob Love is doing the MARB. I had just started started doing Jure you just that's when I started doing Street Team. This is my first project that I worked as the regional form for.
Speaker 2: South Florida Fantasy. Yeah, this project Lucros product. You don't put the f N on.
Speaker 4: Look at that doc Freshman passages you.
Speaker 2: Yes, so you go to the studio and then got this beat already playing.
Speaker 3: Brell got the beat Man, and I'm like, believe it or not? Like I was saying earlier, sometimes you know what's a hit. Sometimes you were like I thought it was cool when I first heard it.
Speaker 2: Did he start doing like this? Yeah? Of course you know for real? Sorry, So I.
Speaker 3: Go in the car, like this is where I write my music.
Speaker 2: It's my car.
Speaker 3: I always I write all of my ship in a car. I love the fucking car. You got the surround sound. I get my own space, roll the window down.
Speaker 2: Producers do that too, with the beats they go in the car. Did they make it?
Speaker 3: Yeah percent, So I think maybe it took maybe forty five minutes to an hour. I had them verses. I went in there, did the ship. Still thought the song was cool. And then when everybody else heard that motherfucker, they was like.
Speaker 1: Are you fucking crazy out of here? It was that we was in Virginia, Virginia. We was in fucking book.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We was in Virginia at for Real Studio. Okay, okay, okay, I know that. Yeah, hell yeah. So that's how that shit came about, man, And that's what that's what set it off, because what's your Fantasy was for the ladies obviously, and then once throdn Bulls.
Speaker 2: Came out, it was a rap that was like the record is crazy.
Speaker 3: That rounded everything out in terms of me being a new fucking artist, and it was it was a game changing.
Speaker 2: No you want you're a new artist, put you on Death Jam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and to me, the first Southern artist signed to death Jam, by the way, no other Southern artist, So it was all New New York roster.
Speaker 2: Like you said, you read this is what this is, This is what I want to I mean, read from this.
Speaker 1: But because what's Scarface already the president?
Speaker 4: Nod you was.
Speaker 1: Already shined to death Jam, and then they made Scarface the President.
Speaker 2: I want to say it happened like sign damnit Okay, yeah.
Speaker 4: Because it was you first, and then that's when they kind of like run in Scarface face.
Speaker 3: I think he was president. Like right before I got signed, co signed yep, so Kevin and Scarface. I was their first sign. Again you God, you had jay Z, had Joe, you had d MX, you got You, you got Meth, everybody whole roster New York, and I was first Southern artist. So we were debating about, you know, whether this was the right label for us, because he was like, I don't know, if they don't.
Speaker 2: Know what to do with the Southern arm.
Speaker 4: You have felt dope because regardless any hip hop had, death Jam.
Speaker 2: Is the mecca.
Speaker 3: Listen, man, cool Jay changed my life. You must have been like, man, I'm bad. That's that's the reason I'm here at this table today. That's the reason I wrap. And I told this motherfucker he was there when I got the Hollywood Star Uh just this this this year, so man, yeah yeah now ll Co yeah so depth Jan one. I was excited, but that was the only reservation as I was, I was the only selling artist on there.
Speaker 2: But that ship worked out like a motherfucker. Hell yeah. Would you ever do a residency?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we would love first presidency be in Vegas for sure.
Speaker 2: Residencies just announce it. I know, Found Blue just opened.
Speaker 3: Uh I currently have a deal in Vegas, so politically I'm not gonna be able to tell you that right now.
Speaker 2: But next time I'm on this won't be the last.
Speaker 1: Wherever you're the deal is, let's go. Let's do that now, Lovers and Friends. When I was on here, we were on the way coming here. A lot of people say they made a lot of babies to lovers in France.
Speaker 3: That's a great thing. Ship Is that a great thing? That's a great thing. A lot of people make babies. What's your fantasy too? But y'all, no, Lovers and Friends. We never shot a video for that shit ever. And this record is huge, but till this day, I just had a show last night. I got a show tonight. We always do Lovers and Friends and the whole crowd sings the whole damn song. But that's that's a special one right there, for sure. So where was you at? Usher called you, and you called it. He called him. It's crazy. We were in Miami. Usher had a fucking show. It's funny to shock the fuck with me about my memory, but I have the most selective memory. When you asked me, that shit came to me immediately. Me and John showed up for Usher's show down here in Miami. John singles Little John, Oh, Little John's litt John produced the.
Speaker 2: Record, Little John's record. It's actually Little John's record.
Speaker 3: So we came to his show and this nigga ushers like, nigga, I got another one. I got another one for us. I was like, word, let me hear the ship. So before he goes on stage, they let me hear, and I'm like, we out of here again. On a whole other level, Yeah, it's fucking hunting something BPR Lovers and Friends sixty something VP.
Speaker 2: We out of here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, nah, man making history with them them too, man, some of the greatest brothers on Earth.
Speaker 2: Bro for show.
Speaker 1: Here's this man standing right in front of us making incredible albums. I've never heard a mediocre album from this guy. Wow, he is and he said that he said one time that NA said that he was the best. And I'm here to tell you I don't think Nas was gassing you. I think he came from from the heart because that's who exactly who he is. So in case you don't know what the fuck we talking about, we talking about the.
Speaker 2: One only but school boy Q.
Speaker 1: Let me just tell you something, man, from the beginning we started this show, we wanted to give your flowers face to face man, and man, you are one of the greats.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We don't want anything that happen to you and then me tell you you're great. We want to say that while you are laky your flowers. Snoop Dogg said, it's like it's a Snoop Dogg said, it's like.
Speaker 2: A Grammy because it comes from his people. God damnit, bro, there you go. You know what?
Speaker 1: You know what's so unique about you? Every time someone asks you about la Yeah, you're always giving up game. You are saying you're gonna watch that for this artist. You gotta watch them for this artist. You always naming people, You always showing loves to people, How did you develop that? How does that?
Speaker 2: I mean?
Speaker 5: Once again, sports, I mean, and you know you gotta show love to your teammates. You gotta show love to people. And if you ain't good enough to hang like and if you scared, somebody gonna take your positions, And it was never yours in the first place. Looking at them fall it was never his, I said down on the last album too, Like if you fall, it was never yours in the first place. If you let somebody knock you out your position like you never had that position.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Once again, it goes all back down to discipline. Motherfuckers ain't got no discipline, bro. So motherfucker see somebody gassing going up and just hate for no reason.
Speaker 2: It's like for what like he going up?
Speaker 5: Oh, because he ain't doing as many units as you. It's like, bro, okay, and I put my units in the fucking jay z and I don't even exist.
Speaker 2: So it's like, what do we measure things?
Speaker 5: But motherfuckers is hard like, he hard like he hard like, just let it be, like, you know what I'm saying. So at some point, just if it's yours, it's yours, and you ain't got to worry about ship.
Speaker 2: Sure, love shut up.
Speaker 1: Another another thing about you is you have some of the dopest features in the game.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 5: I don't watch a lot of cats. I'm about to go about to go on another washing machine run.
Speaker 2: I've been chilling for five.
Speaker 5: Years, just watching them and observing and and like trying to change my life and body and ship. You know what I'm saying, Get my body to the right point where I want to be.
Speaker 2: But I'm ready to play ball.
Speaker 5: And and and just keep playing ball right now because I think they're making it real easy for people like me. I think a lot of people are bad. What do I think a lot of people are good, But a lot of people are scared. I can't get record what you saying. No, not just music musically period. A lot of people are scared to try anything. Yeah, but I get it though. You know, at the same time, you know business is business, right, and you know, but at some point, if you ain't got what you're gonna get out of this ship, you've been in this game like X amount of years, you probably won't get it.
Speaker 1: Because that's what's unique about this album.
Speaker 2: It's like you just said a lot of people are scared.
Speaker 1: It seems like you wasn't scared of like you were taking risks, Like each song sound sounds like it's two.
Speaker 2: Songs and onely different.
Speaker 5: Sounds the same. Like what the fuck? What that was the whole thing? Like how do I see music?
Speaker 2: Right now? Okay? So everything is thirty second clips? Right?
Speaker 5: Motherfuckers can't even pay attention to three verses anymore? Motherfucker is doing one versus. It's like, all right, how do I make this album in this time and still be me? It's like, oh, I see things in the way they see it, fucking forty seconds, fifty seconds? If I can't get what do I? How can I get off something in thirty seconds? You know what I'm saying? Thirty seconds at a time. How can I say as much as I want in thirty seconds? If I can't say as much as I want in thirty seconds, then I probably shouldn't be doing this, this part of the beat shouldn't be rapping or coming with this concept, you know what I mean. So it was just like, what can I say an X amount of time? And from there and how we just built the beats. We just built it the beats. But the lyrics pretty much came first on.
Speaker 4: This albumat changing up to that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's like you know, and and still just like shit, I want to do it like this, like shit, why not Like my blank Face album, I did the same thing. Like you know, I think, like I said, just rap is just so kind of like and uh, it's so many of rappers now, and it's still hell of good rappers, but it's just so many now. Me doing beat switches, it's like mad people doing beat switches still, you know what I'm saying. But and I've been doing it, but you know what the game it is now, like my should is standing out a little bit more with it because of just the no risk taking of artists. You know, they find they pocket and they stay in that pocket. And like I said, that's cool if you're in it for the business. But everybody I know is a fucking millionaires. So at this point, so it's like what the fuck are we doing now? Like we just like making it worse for the younger kids.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 6: I think artists are scared to act their age and it's weird to me, Like I'm thirty seven, bro, I'm not like scared to act thirty seven, like I'm still lit, like I.
Speaker 2: Can still do all the shit. Still I'll run young.
Speaker 5: And still I'll rap you whatever you real to talk about.
Speaker 2: I'm still way more funnier, did you, brother?
Speaker 5: I dress better, like I look back, getting younger every year, like you fuck, it's its own dope, you know what I'm saying. Like so like I'm not scared to have to live my age, like you know what I'm saying. And I think a lot of artists are doing that, and they doing the younger generation of disservice.
Speaker 2: Why She's like, it's the weirdest ship to me, you know.
Speaker 5: You know, that's another reason why I didn't even do press before this album, because it's just like I don't fit with those dudes in the media. I don't even I don't even funk with. They're just too negative for me. And it's like y'all too old for all that. Y'all gotta watch y'all say, y'all can't really get hurt playing with people. Bro, Like mootherfuckers is putting their life in their music, Like you can dislike my music, but don't disrespect me though, because I put my life and my ship you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So when you disrespect me.
Speaker 5: Or disrespect the rappers, that's how I feel like.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get at me eventually, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I got camaraderie still with rappers, even though you know rappers don't half coaraderie, but I do. So if I see somebody say some crazy crazy ship about a rapper, I ain't fucking with you, like you know what I'm saying. Like I said, you can dislike it, yeah you problem. Yeah, nobody tripping on that. But the way you motherfucker's a really disrespect Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And I ain't with it.
Speaker 5: And everything is relationship based too, It's like that's not how it's supposed to be either. So I'm just not with none of it. I just want to go all gas and just keep gassing. I'm gonna keep gassing gas and gassing, and they gonna come, they gonna come in the circles and I'm gonna keep gassing the ass.
Speaker 2: And I got, like I.
Speaker 5: Said, I got eighteen more to go, so I'm gonna keep gassing as I'm gonna keep.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Jack in the Box on Vernon and figure bro.
Speaker 2: Oh Man that's man, you go, that's that Jack and the crackstil there.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, it's there. Yeah, it's there. Vernon fit man ain't no right, man.
Speaker 2: Let's move on from now from now.
Speaker 1: But that's that's that's yeah, that's you know, I forget what kind of record you came up with over there.
Speaker 2: I forget. I was just going in through it.
Speaker 1: Move on your relationship with Mac Miller.
Speaker 2: Yeah, rest in peace.
Speaker 5: How How did y'all meet? I met on tour. This's another one that's hard to talk about to We met on tour.
Speaker 2: And we were just we just bonded off the rip.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying that as uh, just humans, just people, you know what I'm saying. I thought he was a funny ass white boy. He thought I was a funny ass black dude. We just kicked it, you know what I'm saying. He was like transitioning his music from like uh like white sounding like you know, poppy, and he was going more towards rapping. He was like, you know, he had so much soul, you know, but he just came in the game the way he came in, and he was like transitioning. And I watched him do it, and it was just like, this dude is crazy and I just wanted to, you know, stick around and be his homie. I was just happy to be his homie. That was my dog. That was like really my dog, like you know, sad situation, but he's living forever. Though, he's living forever. He's living forever.
Speaker 1: Have a moment of silence, fam No, no, it was make some noise for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now you had a duct tail and the homie cut off.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I got kicked out of school. This motherfucker dude just light skinned.
Speaker 2: Fuck Okay. I wanted to know what the juntail is though, all right, So man, you had a hair and call it a tail?
Speaker 7: Okay, So this is this punk motherfucker dude.
Speaker 5: I don't even know his name. He wasn't even he wasn't really my home. He was my homi kind of hen't let it go, dough. I could tell.
Speaker 2: I got kicked out and all type of ship. So what happened? What happened? You in school? Gag? Yeah?
Speaker 7: So I'm in school, bro, this motherfucker you know, you know they do nap time.
Speaker 2: This is like a kindergarten. Yeah. I fucked him over too. I fed him over. I choked him and Ship like he's.
Speaker 5: Bleeding, and Ship was the first time I've seen him over.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 7: But he cut my ducktail while I was sleep and I woke up and yeah, and I just went to go plug my ducktail and it wasn't there, and then it was on his desk, Ship, and then he looked at me and he kind of like.
Speaker 5: Laughed, and I just beat the ship out of him. Bing bing ban were like five, like five six whatever, and then b b b Bean and I just plea me in the craziest head. I was like trying to snatch him out of the chair. I'm a little kid, bro, and I just see him blood out and he just yet and he's like yelling crazy like he's like you know what I'm saying. I'm like, Ship, like when you started yelling crazy and Ship, I'm like, but the Yeah, the teacher came in and uh broke it up. And I was at like some like Catholic school or some ship and she gave me a whooping like yeah, like hit.
Speaker 2: Me like a ruler.
Speaker 1: POWs fueh.
Speaker 2: I guess my mom didn't know they did that. There.
Speaker 5: My mom came in and like, like she said, tripped on the whole place, y'all, what my god, like had a whole fit, and they like we gotta get him, and his mom was just off the chain, like, y'all get kicked me about that? Motherfucking I went to school fifty.
Speaker 2: Second fifty second, yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean where I wanted to go in the first Like, let.
Speaker 2: Me, I'm just just right here on the corner. Just let me go to school. My mama always tried to do that weird shit.
Speaker 5: Oh no, you can't go to school in the ghetto. She will send me to some other school. And then then eventually she sent me back to the school in the in the ghetto, in the in the hood, And it's like, why why you.
Speaker 2: Be doing that?
Speaker 5: Though you send me to a whole other school that's the same thing. You know, this is another ghetto.
Speaker 1: Right, like she I don't know why she would do that because I always wondered how you got the name school boy? Right? But then I listened to your your lyrics. I can tell you have education. Yeah, yeah, for sure, how did you get the name school boy?
Speaker 2: Literally?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: So it's it's like an atandra.
Speaker 5: So the school boy is a pimp used to well, I ain't gonna you know, well he used to be a pimp back in the days. Uh yeah, yeah, yeah, dude the name school boy from my hood. Okay, he was dope. Dope dude teached him.
Speaker 2: Also, it was at a.
Speaker 5: Point I had good grades and there was a point where I had ship grades.
Speaker 2: You know, I leave that out a lot.
Speaker 5: But it was a point where I had really really good grades and a lot of homies will call me school boy because I was like really good in sports.
Speaker 2: Grades.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, good grades and like you know, always squabbling and like not really like you know, from that cloth.
Speaker 2: So they like, uh called me school boy. So it was more so.
Speaker 5: Like a playoff the pimp on fig and like me, people calling me school boy for good grades and ship being an athlete, you know, motherfuckers would encourage me like to be take that take that sports.
Speaker 7: Ship far, take that sports sportship far, because we gotta go far.
Speaker 2: Because a lot of football didn't go too far. Yeah you didn't go too far, Miami, Like y'all take football very soon.
Speaker 5: For sure, baseball too. I was really nasty at baseball, real nasty baseball. Yeah, shortstop Plato it was dog.
Speaker 1: Sh trophies and baseball having back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, got damn.
Speaker 2: There's not one of.
Speaker 1: The best, if not the best sports people period. I hate when hip hop used this term goat, but in this case it's an understatement. He's a mass man and I I was so excited. I've been sweating all day. So in case you don't know who I'm talking about, what's about the one only legendary. Recently we had people come on here right, you know, have a good time, say something they don't want they don't want to say, and ask for us to edit it, and us, being good people, we don't chase. But then these artists well access to edit and then go on another platform and.
Speaker 2: Say what they told her that that should push you off. What you should do. I'll be wanting to blow it up. What you should do?
Speaker 1: I should be like this, I will tell you that.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you.
Speaker 8: Let me listen eight years, but let me get as a person that's been in media for thirty years.
Speaker 2: Let me give you a piece of advice.
Speaker 8: So you want me to cut this out? You don't want me to add this? You know I better not see you saying this ship nowhere else right.
Speaker 2: I didn't say that.
Speaker 8: You know that, right, because if I see it anywhere else, I'm an eric. Do you understand me? So long as you know, I ain't got no problems cutting this out, especially if it's something that you think is gonna compromise you gonna.
Speaker 2: Hurt your brand. We ain't trying to hurt you.
Speaker 8: You're saying, but I better not see it somewhere else. If I see it somewhere else, oh, that just means you want to give that to somebody else.
Speaker 2: Other than me.
Speaker 8: But I got it already. Oh yeah, that shit tomorrow. You understand I'm saying, and put the date when you said it so everybody I.
Speaker 2: Had it first. Don't play that game. If you say you want it out, keep it out because.
Speaker 8: Listen, there's certain things, you know, a code of the industry. It's like you don't give somebody else editorial power. I've had politicians, I've had, you know, a big time executives. I've had various others wanting to sit down and do interviews with me, and I've canceled the interview because they wanted editorial control. You're not getting editorial control of my content. Don't come on and give me the content. I came on here today. I told y'all y'all could ask.
Speaker 2: Me anything y'all want.
Speaker 8: That don't mean I'm gonna answer every damn Let me assure you. What you want here from me is me saying please do it, please edit that out.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no no. I came here, I showed up.
Speaker 8: I know you got critics that people gonna say, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna get asked. I know how y'all wrote what I'm saying. I knew what I was showing up for.
Speaker 8: And a lot of times you got these cats and they being run by their team, but they want to act like they did and they being run by their team, and their team didn't have any connection.
Speaker 2: They create no kind of vib.
Speaker 8: They talk to you man, the man, one on one or whatever the case may be, and then they walk around with their backup like somebody did them wrong instead of owning what the hell they did.
Speaker 2: That's my life right there where. It's like I'm constantly the villain.
Speaker 8: And I cannot tell y'all how many times, whether it's y'all, I don't give a damn what podcast was show it is. I'll see some people say some shit it could be on YouTube, it could be anywhere and my name come up and they say something, and I'm like, how come nobody asked would they say that to my face?
Speaker 2: Would they put their.
Speaker 8: Truth up against my truth? Because we all got receipts, but very very few people got as many as me, And so I'm like, what. When I see people I'm watching because if it's sports related, especially when they talk about sports commentators and stuff like that, my name coming up, I'm like, okay, and I'm wondering whether that person's gonna call me or yo stephen a Yo man. They said something. You see what I'm saying, because I'll have an answer. I promise you that. But I really get that opportunity and it's it's all right. But sometimes I say people say stuff because they know they can get away with it. They know they could get away with it.
Speaker 1: But your name is so big. I can see why certain people want to say your name.
Speaker 2: I can see why.
Speaker 1: Because it's a clickbait, even if it's not trying it for it. Cause someone say I'm talking about steven A. They gonna they're gonna click on it. The name is a hot commodity. So is that something that bothers you when you don't.
Speaker 8: Get that call, when I don't get that call sometimes, especially if it depends on the ship they're saying and how personal it get, because I would, I would listen.
Speaker 2: I know what codes I live by. I know if you're a player and you didn't get along.
Speaker 8: With the coach, it was because y'all were y'all were y'all were doing the same woman, right, you know what you're screwing around with a teammates girl or a teammate's wife, or you know you got in of this beef because you know you tried to choke a coach or something.
Speaker 2: You know you gotta you got. Well that's the trust me.
Speaker 8: Well, but you know depending on rumors thinking about it.
Speaker 2: You hear about that stuff every year every year.
Speaker 8: Right, So you got all types of the kind of stuff that I get access to, the kind of information that I get access to by virtue of what I do.
Speaker 2: For a living.
Speaker 8: I promise you I don't say seventy percent of the stuff that I know, Wow, seventy percent.
Speaker 2: And so what happens is when you see cats and.
Speaker 8: You know they talking about your stuff like that, I will remind you I've been in the business for thirty years. I know about dudes who are talking about me and they were filming a commercial in the off season in Hollywood and not realizing I knew the damn producers. Wow, you connected with cats in the hip hop industry. You don't know I know them. You're what I'm saying, I mean, don't listen. I'm not the expert, the officionado at that. Like I like music, of course I did. I grow on a product of the hip hop generation growing up in Holland. Queen's jam Master Jay was best friends with my late brother god Rest of Soul.
Speaker 2: I grew up with run dmc. Soy they see me? What do you say? A Hollid he sent was was was you know down the block?
Speaker 8: Ll who J grew up five minutes from your Pharma's Ball, the Rock, the Rock, you know John Rule fifty, all of these, I'm like, who you talking to? I'm seeing I've seen these people years. I root for them all day every day. I'm proud of them because I look at the road traveled and I know where they came from to get to where they go. They always gonna have my suppoint give damn who it is my man should have. Yes, Yeah, you know, I just got form with Snoop because I told her, Damn, I said, I have.
Speaker 2: To prepare for the interview. I can what you did. I mean, it's like these these are my brothers.
Speaker 8: They know you pick up the phone, stephen A, is what what you need done?
Speaker 2: That's you know.
Speaker 8: I mean, I'm incredibly grateful and humbled and thankful that I got relationships with such iconic figures.
Speaker 2: You can't have.
Speaker 8: Relationships with those with cats like that. If you don't live by a cold and you don't stand for ship, and you're gonna trade people and you're gonna backstab, you can't do that. So when you got cats in the sports world trying to besmirch and sully my reputation, that gets me hot because you're implying that I live by a code that anybody who knows me knows I do not live by. And so what happens is then I'm watching everybody, because I will watch whether it's y'all or somebody else, and I'd be.
Speaker 2: Like, you just gonna let them say that, You're gonna let that slide. What evidence do you have to say that shit about me? You know?
Speaker 8: And you got to remember, I know of Athletic they were main nameless, but I know the stars that spoke to executives trying to keep me out of the business.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, trying to get me.
Speaker 8: Fired, trying to trying to deny what I'm bringing. And then come and they won't say anything. I'm not gonna cue a smiler in my face because they ain't that flagrant with it. But they don't know that.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 8: Like I told you before, you're filming a commercial, you hanging out with your boys, you might be in a hotel, you might be at a party or whatever. Yo, bro, you ain't been I've been in this business for thirty years.
Speaker 2: I kind of know people. So it could be a week, lady, it could be a month, lady, it could be that night.
Speaker 8: It's gonna get back to me, and it ain't gonna get back to me from Nay says that you know I barely know. I'm talking about people that I know, whose words I know I can trust. Yo, Stephen, Ay, Bro, that ain't no friend. This is what he's saying about you. This is what they trying to do. This is what happened. And so I just sit back and I watch and I pray, pray that they say something about me by name. Oh you don't know how to be praying for it, because again, I can unleash at my discretion at any moment if and I and I'm mostly no doubt because I'm in corporate America and I grew up in corporate America. The freedom that y'all have in this in this podcast world, that's something I just adopted. I never had to Stephen A Smith show on YouTube that just started a year ago. I don't you know, I wasn't doing that all of these years.
Speaker 2: I wasn't. I said, what, thank you? I appreciated that. I don't. I don't do you know? I just started doing that, and I didn't you.
Speaker 8: Know you could call it a podcast because I got to deal with our Heart Radio and they gonna push that on their platforms.
Speaker 2: But out of my own pocket, I built.
Speaker 8: A television studio because my god, I came out.
Speaker 2: I can't a couple of mill out my own pocket.
Speaker 8: I built this television studio because A I want to show that I can produce television on my own, whereas I'm not getting the check as an employee, I'm getting the check. Is a production company because I'm producing content and I'm getting that bag too, on top of me being the talent. Oh by the way, not only am I doing that, I own and operated one hundred percent. Oh by the way, not only am I doing that, but I'm doing it with the purpose of not just myself, but looking for young talent on the come up that I can produce years of years to come. Because I'm fifty six. I ain't twenty six. I don't want to do this shit in thirty years.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: I want, I want and I want my legacy to be somebody that's reaching out to help those on to come up, so we can find we can find a way to do that.
Speaker 2: Because everybody can't be you.
Speaker 8: Everybody can't be you, everybody can't be me, but they can be themselves in a fashion that's most profitable for them. Show them the way and show them there's another I'm not I'm corporate because I had to live in corporate America for thirty years.
Speaker 2: I know who I am. You would said I know what I am.
Speaker 8: When I take the suit off and I'm hanging in Hollis, you have to say, say I'm.
Speaker 2: Hanging with the Fellas or something like that.
Speaker 8: But you can't roll up with Bob IgA, the CEO of Walt Disney and Jimmy Pataro, the president of the ESPN, and Roger Goodella NFL Commissioner, Adam Silver, the NBA commissioner. You know, like you with the Fellas, it calls for something different. Do you have the flex ability, the skill to know how, the professionalism to be able to dance in that world when you're not you or you or me? And I'm the kind of person that thinks that I could help. Is showing the way so that versatility kicks in and you can show yourself to be marketable to a whole bunch of people. People a lot of times don't see that we encouraging young cats.
Speaker 2: Man. Do what you want to do, when you want to do how you want to do it. Fuck everybody else. But you got your hand out for somebody else's money.
Speaker 8: And that pisses me off because I'm like, yo, you don't have to be a business owner.
Speaker 2: Tell me, even if you were on a street, hang it with your boys.
Speaker 8: If your boys came to you and said, yo, dog, I need some money, you might give it to them.
Speaker 2: The first time. Second time, you gonna be like, what fuck you need it for it? Third time? Again? Again? Why you underste what I'm saying, and you're gonna want to know what they're doing with it? You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: But we act like we can encourage people to do what they want to do, when they want to do it how they want to do.
Speaker 2: When they got their hand out for somebody.
Speaker 8: Else's money, that number up for a dead end ride, they're gonna fall. You can't operate that way. I'm the kind of person that says that. And because I say that, you got people that snub their nose up to get their backup, They got an attitude all of this other stuff, And I don't have patience for that because I'm like, yo, I'm trying to help cats.
Speaker 2: What you're trying to do when you're leading them down to dead end road? Right?
Speaker 4: Like me?
Speaker 1: Right? I did love and hip hop right, which is Viacom, which is corporate America. I did it because I enjoyed.
Speaker 2: Working for somebody. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: I already know I'm the boss of whatever whatever my world, but I wanted to go into somebody else's world that I could be accountable for not being on time. I'd be accountable for not showing up or things like that.
Speaker 2: And I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: I fully ensured that they didn't want to keep paying me because I wanted more exactly, So we agreed to disagree. But at times I always say that I'm good with, you know, doing what I got to do, and then if I have to work for somebody else, I'm okay with it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I know who I am in real life. So is that how you feel when it comes to first thing.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't say when it comes to first take, you know, because my weakness is I hate getting up in the morning because once I'm up, I'm up. I don't take naps and I stay up real late. I don't go to sleep before two am. So because of that, I'm up constantly, you know, and I'm on my grind. I can't stand getting up early. That's the only hiccup in my entire career. I'll turn down millions if you ask me to get up at four or five am.
Speaker 2: Help with it. I gotta to figure out something else, you know. That's how I am. And that's been my week.
Speaker 8: That's been my one weakness throughout my career throughout my life. But I will tell you this, I've often said this about working for Disney. It ain't perfect, right, Damn it could be hard sometimes because they got a shareholders, stock holders, all of that stuff, and you got to answer for that. And when you're a major player, somebody that moves the needle, and you know God has blessed me, I've been number one for them for like eight nine years that level in terms of moving the needle.
Speaker 2: Here's the deal.
Speaker 8: I've often said this, I'd rather work for someone with standards than someone looking for them. I can always make the adjustment to being free and easy and not having to answer to anybody.
Speaker 2: But if I had never had to answer to anybody.
Speaker 8: And then all of a sudden I got to work for somebody and work in corporate America, I'm a lost soul. I ain't gonna not adjust. I'm not going to know how to live that life. It's gonna drive me crazy. But the fact that I have worked for The New York Daily News, for the Philadelphia Inquirer, for CNN, Fox Sports, ultimately ESPN, and Walt Disney, right because of that, especially Walt Disney over the last twenty years. I'm in a position where I've seen so much corporate and how strict it can be and how paralyzing at times it can be, that I can adjust to anything because it ain't gonna be much tougher than that in terms of the standard. Right, everything's gonna be a little looser, right, And as a result, I'm gonna feel more free no matter where you put me right, and that gives me a decisive advantage moving forward because I played the long game.
Speaker 1: Once again. Thank you for tuning into the BLACKPEC Podcast Network. Seeing you in twenty twenty five for more great moments from your favorite podcast.