Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market. Harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look now at some stocks making news in the week ahead. I'm Nathan Hager, joined by man Deep Singh, Global Head of Tech Research at Bloomberg Intelligence. Because it is another big week for big tech earnings. Correct me if I'm wrong, man Deep, but I think we're hearing from what three more of the four major hyper scalers after we heard from Alphabet this past week.
Speaker 3: We are, indeed, and look, we know Microsoft hasn't done well in the past quarter, and they will be for me, one of the big ones. Amazon and you know Apple and Meta as well, like all these companies have had a decent quarter. So from that perspective, I think where expectations are really low, I would say it's Microsoft and for me, Google had a slight increase in their full year capex for twenty twenty six. They raised it by about four percent, and they said twenty twenty seven capex would be significantly higher. And so from that perspective, it'll be interesting to see what Microsoft and Amazon end up doing as well as Meta.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Well, let's start with Microsoft, as you say, probably the biggest player of the three major hyperscalers we're going to hear from this week. After we heard from Alphabet two hundred and five billion dollars that increase on the top line in terms of their forecast for capital expenditure for this year, if we see similar numbers from Microsoft, what kind of a market reaction could that Sparkmandate?
Speaker 3: Actually, I expect a negative reaction if they significantly raise their CAPEX, and I feel the bar is now quite high with Alphabet going over two hundred billion dollars for this year. So with Microsoft, the challenge is they don't have the vertical integration that Alphabet has with Gemini and their TPU systems, which that Google has highlighted could be a separate line of business. So from that perspective, you know, Microsoft has to show Azure growth, and that Azure growth has been more like around forty percent. Google posted cloud growth of around eighty two percent in their second quarter. So from that perspective, there's a lot that Microsoft has to prove in terms of both the cloud growth rates that I have been trailing and also how else they can monetize that capex beyond their cloud segment growth, as Google has shown with TPU Systems, and you know how they are deploying their own Gemini model on top of it.
Speaker 1: And when it comes to Meta also reporting on Wednesday, if they see a major increase to their appital expenditure, it's a little bit different, isn't it in terms of how they deploy that kind of spending.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I said it was a bigger bar for Microsoft. For Meta, it's even higher because they don't even have a cloud business. So in the case of Microsoft, at least they have a cloud business, where azure segment would probably see accelerating sequentially accelerating growth. In the case of Meta, it all has to show up in their top line ads business, which we have seen from Google. The search business didn't accelerate. It was really their cloud business that went from you know, sixty percent growth to over eighty percent growth. So Meta doesn't have a cloud business. And so if Meta comes out and says they are raising their CAPEX for second half, I totally expect a negative reaction going by how the market has reacted to the Google capex increase.
Speaker 1: How do you see Mark Zuckerberg's strategy when it comes to AI deployment right now, particularly after all the spending metas done just building a super intelligence team and all the partnerships that it's gotten into.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so look, they've released a new model, the new Spark model. They're looking to monetize that through API use and also get into cloud rentals like the Neo clouds. That would be very interesting for me who the buyers of Meta compute could be because we've seen SpaceX rent their compute to Google and Google did say that, you know, because of the third party compute rentals, the margins may actually go down, So in effect we expect maybe Google may end up renting compute from Meta in the near trump. It would be interesting if that happens. And I think there are speculations that Meta wants to get into cloud rental business. That's where it could be a new line of business for them to justify any cap ex increase that they may have during their earnings call.
Speaker 1: In the time we have left, Mandy, but I'd be curious to get your view as well. On Apple they report Thursday. Maybe not a hyper scale or along the lines of Meta, Microsoft or Amazon, but how do you see Apple's results coming out.
Speaker 3: I mean they have a new CEO. They have been at the receiving end of all these memory and the component price increases which they have passed on to their or they plan to pass it on to their customers in terms of higher prices. I think, you know, even though expectations are for mid teens double digit growth, it will be hard for them to come up with any upside. Price increases are a big part of that top line growth. So given the CEO change and the price increases, I think it'll be hard to see any big positive surprises coming out of Apple.
Speaker 2: The Stockmover's report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.