Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is Wall Street Week. I'm David Weston bringing you stories of capitalism. The world is focused on the strait of hor moves. What about the other shipping choke points at risk? And what can be done before there is a crisis? Private equity has been the source of market beating returns four years, but now the spread has come down and getting your money out can be a problem. Cuba is facing yet another economic crisis, in no small part because of US sanctions. President Trump says he's going to make sure the country finally opens up its economic system. We've heard this story before. Could this time truly be different? But we start with the bond market, caught between fears of inflation and long term fiscal risks. Rick Reader is Black Reg's Chief investment Officer of Global Fixed Income and head of the Global Allocation Investment Team. Rick, we got CPI numbers this week, and there was good news in the fact that they're not going up. On the other hand, it's not two point zero the way we've been promised. So which is more important the good news of the bad news?
Speaker 3: Well, I will say markets have been more nervous about this number, and I would think there was a collective industry wide sigh of relief when this number came out, because it wasn't you know, this is one of those numbers it becomes in high then all of a sudden, now you put the FED in clear hiking mode and you know, starting to see consistent numbers that. So if you go back into the last ten numbers that we've gotten in core CPI, eight of the ten have been point two rounded or below that. So it's still a bit elevated relative to where the fed's long term objective is. But I think the markets felt pretty good about woo. We got through it and it wasn't that high. And then if you go through the comple in parts otherwise a number of pretty close to expectations in only almost every regard you are seeing still things like lodging away from home, hotel, airlines, you're seeing leisure experiences about the World Cup effect, and otherwise you're still seeing some pricing pressure around that. But overall it was it was it was an okay number, but yeah, we're not certainly not a target yet, So.
Speaker 2: Pull back a little bit and give us a longer term view over the years of how it's bounced around and where we are today compared to where we've been.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, the big deal for me is a fence mandate, is price stability. It's not two, but you'd like to get it. There is real efficacy around two percent is a normalized equilibrium for what an economy should run out. So you want to get to that number. We haven't gotten there in a long time. By the way, you can take the two decades before. It's pretty hard to get it as high as too. You're in the ballpark today and you know when you were running, certainly post COVID, you're running at numbers five six. That was scary. But if you look at inflation expectations today, think about where we've come from, it's pretty stable. Particularly when you've got an economy that's running with a lot of debt on it. That the thing you really can't have outen. You can't have a deflating dynamic because it enhances the true course of the debt. Today, I would argue it's the number we'd like to see a little bit lower, but it's certainly not daunting by any stretch relative to anything we've seen in history.
Speaker 2: So take COVID out of it for a moment. Go back to like twenty twenty four for example, where are we in core? What's the trend line?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So, you know, the thing I find interesting is that is Chairman Warsh has focused on the left side of the decimal place and the right And I think you have to take that to heart. Meaning if you're in and around the two's, you're okay. But when you actually zoom in closer with the markets than to focus on there's it's been this maniacal focus on the right side. And you know, since you know, certainly over the last year or so, the trend is pretty good and that it's coming down, but it moves around, and you know, the market's tent to focus on the tents of a percent in terms of these movements. By the way, I always get a kick of the first thing I saw this morning while Chairman Warsh talked about the left side of the decimal place, the number was it printed at point two one five four and people talking about their rounding. You think about, for a broad economy like this, does anybody really care about the point five other than the market participants do? So, you know, part of what when you zoom out and you say, Okay, that's a pretty good We're in a pretty good place. Would like to see a trend lower. For me, I actually think we are trending a bit lower. We think core PC by the end of the year is around two to eight. Next year we think gets to two five. And course CPI is running lower than that. Course CPI is running at one point six the last six months two point four. When you strip shelter out, it's actually running at about half that. So not bad. You know, I'm pretty relaxed about where we are. There are other things I worry about, but I but you know, I don't think that's going to be the thing that disrupts the markets.
Speaker 2: And in fairness to some of the commentators and analysts, I understand cher Warsh said we care about what's left the He also has said we're not done yet. I mean, if he really is just happy with the left side, and given the numbers you just gave us, he would say mission accomplished, job done.
Speaker 3: So I think there's a real nuance to that. I mean, I think the FED, what the FED needs to accomplish is get to that two percent number. But that two percent doesn't have to happen today. It doesn't have done it next week. It's that is a long run number, and I think, quite frankly, if you are any head of any monetary policy authority, you have to be committed to that two number. The long end of the eel curve. Every tick of it is dependent on how you articulate that thesis in terms of where you're trying to get to. It doesn't mean you have to raise rates to get there, and I think why these task forces are a very elegant way to get there. These are complex issues when people ask are you restrictive or not? While in housing you're not. You're clearly restrictive. You have a dormant housing market. Then you look but then you look at the amount of spend on cap X like that's you were not restricted to that. But you think about what would you have to move rates for the big hyperscalers not to spend on an AI. You'd have to raise eight hundreds of base once before to get your IRR to a level. It did make sense, So I think he is committed to it. I think think he's going to think about the tools. You have, the balance sheet, you have, the money supply you have a lot of things, a lot of tools at your disposal. Raising the overnight funds rate, in my mind, is not terribly effective way to bring that number down. And I think I think if you really think about a sophisticated way, which I think they will, what are the tools, how do we get there, and what's the timeframe to try and achieve it.
Speaker 2: So you say, the long end of the curve really needs to believe the Fed monetary authorities. If you look at what happened with a thirty year yield during and after that, news conferences cedit they were not buying it. It went up to the highest level's once since two thousand and seven or something.
Speaker 3: So I think it did right. I think there are a couple of things to think about there. One, you know, he didn't say hike, and I think the markets the back end of the curve was like, we could get a hike here, which would obviously show maybe a stronger near term commitment to inflation. So there was a little bit of that. Second thing that I think proved it to be a bit untethered. Was this idea of gosh, we didn't hear a lot of the metrics markets want to hear the reaction function and how are you going to interpret data and then how you react to it. I don't think you need more forward guidance. I think actually pulling back on forward guidance a good idea. I don't agree with the ethos that people have put out there that less forward guidance needs more volatility. Actually, if you go back to twenty one twenty two, there was a lot of forward guidance. It wasn't right as long as the markets understand and can interpret, here are the metrics you're looking at. Here's what your reaction function is going to be to the data. And I think it's quite sincere when sheer War says, let the markets determine where should you be and then they could react, And that's a good piece of data for the FED. So anyway, I think that's really important going forward. But I think the long end of the yield curve is a very important thing. How you manage that, and you know, oftentimes I think you need to use the balance sheet to actually keep the long end down and we'll see how that goes.
Speaker 2: The markets certainly react to what they think is go on the monetary policy. Are they also taking account fiscal policy and how big a risk is it that actually we will be able to pay all these debts back if you look at the term for example, how big a factor is that and keep things above two to the right or the lesson.
Speaker 3: Desk one, David, I actually think you hit on exactly the right point in that. I actually don't think I think the markets will talk about on the day that may be the long end backed up and what does that mean for credibility. I think that was overstated and unfair. However, you do have something going on that we have not just in the US, you have fiscal burdens that are significant. And by the way, alongside of the amount of financing, this week there was six hundred and seventy three billion of US treasury debt you know, which I've talked it was like issuing Indonesia in a week. It's an awful lot of debt. Plus you have an immense amount of supply coming through that is AI related, so you're pushing into the system an awful lot of financing. To me, that's why real rates are pressing higher, is the cost of finance is going up driven by fiscal deficits around the world. Not just us, but also we've got to push a load of financing in the market, and the markets are saying, okay, these real rates are attractive, but boy, maybe they have to back up a bit more to get all this financing done. And that that, to me is is a big one. Give us a little more detail on how you are balancing your portfolio. And I took a look at some of the numbers and looked like high yield and securitize you got a fair amount of and then there's some other stuff. So my fixed income or further so bink is our big, big etf You know, bonds are very different than equities. In bonds, they my upside is they pay you back. So I know, I just got to create a portfolio of people that is as boring as possible, it's as stable as possible. What is incredible about today's environment. You can create almost a seven percent yield, So we're running about a sixt eighty yield at an average rating of as and by the way, with interest rate exos, that's under three years. That is I've lived much of my career never being close to decades for not being able to do that. So then what do I do with it high yield, merger market, some securitized assets. I own more Europe than the US, and I just try and keep the quality of portfolio in good shape and diversify it like crazy. And you know, today you don't have to stretch because these real rates are so high. A high yield should be trading one hundred and fifty two hundred base pints lower and yield. It's not because we have real rates high because of we have an inflation issue where we have these real rates that are that are you know, which make corporate investing pretty attractive today.
Speaker 2: Coming up, everyone is focused on the Strait of hor Moves and how to get it back open. But that's not the only global bottleneck for shipping key goods and commodities. What should we be doing about the others? This is a story about choke points. The closing of the Strait of hor Moves has reminded the world that, for all the flexibility of shipment by sea, geography creates a handful of points around the globe that can wreak havoc with commerce if they are cut off, which makes it all the more important that Mexico is undertaking a massive project to create an alternative to one of the world's most famous waterways. Bloomberg Simon Hampton has the story.
Speaker 5: In the Very Cruz region of Mexico, some twelve hundred miles north of the Panama Canal lies what's known as the inter Oceanic Corridor of the Isthmus of Tijwantpeck or Si.
Speaker 6: We're standing at the terminal for the train ship here at Pasaquaco. This is the only one in Latin America and it's become a very important service here.
Speaker 5: This port in Kuwatsicoelcos is one end of the so called Dry Canal cutting across Mexico, a combination of rail and road connecting the Pacific Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico.
Speaker 6: It doesn't have to change from the truck to the train and then add all these costs for operations.
Speaker 5: Alejandro of Aleskiez is the head of investment and commercial development for the CIIT. I've seen it described online as a competitor to the Panama Canal. Do you see it that way?
Speaker 6: Of course not? No, I mean the corridor is just an alternative. For some industries or for some companies, the corridor will be a better alternative at some point and some of the times you're going to use just the Panama Canal. At the beginning, it was offering service only for all the oil and derivative industry. But today, with the growth of the service here and at the south of Mexico, companies located at the very south of Mexico are considering to use also these service to get to Florida or even to.
Speaker 5: New York, and that need for alternatives is rising as supply chain choke points become a recurring feature in the world today. Oh much of the world focuses on the Strait of Hormuz. A recent report from the Council on Foreign Relations highlighted potential risk spots elsewhere, including in the Strait of Malacca, whereas much as forty percent of global seaborne trade transits annually, or the Taiwan Strait. We're around forty four percent of the global container fleet transits each year, and the Panama Canal, which handles about forty percent, have contained a trade between Asia and America's East Coast.
Speaker 7: We were used in an environment where choll points were considered i would say, secure of access, reasonably accessible, But now it seems to be more and more uncertain in certain areas.
Speaker 5: Jean Paul Rodriguez is a professor at Texas A and M University's Department of Maritime Business Administration.
Speaker 7: We often say that geography has a sense of humor, which means we have a world composed of seventy seventy five percent of ocean, but connecting these oceans can only be done through a very few strategic locations, such as the Panama Canal, the Swest Canal, the Strait of Ormuz, the Straight of Malacca, among others. When these strategicication gets disrupted, it creates significant you could say, Domino effect on international trade, either by limiting you could say, opportunities accessibilit to key resources and markets, or most of the time, imposing substantial deviations over long distances, which creates stress on global supply chains. I would say goes in cycles. For instance, in nearly seventies, the Swiss Canal was closed for close to a decade because of the conflicts between Israel and the neighboring Arab countries. So it story sometimes repeats itself a little bit. So there are events and then they abate, they go away, and then we go back to business. But this time it's a little bit more severe because of you could say, the projection of power that Iran is exerting on two key strategic locations, which are of course the Strait of Hormuz and the above and Mandad straight as well on the Red Sea. So this time is a little bit different. It's two strategic locations which are excessively important. There's not that much you can do outside the deviations. You go around if possible. Otherwise you try to find alternative routes, which tend to be overland route, and this what is currently happening in the Persian Gulf, with United Emirates Saudi Arabia contemplating and using their existing you could say, alternative routes overland through pipelines or for oil, and of course with roads or rail for containers.
Speaker 5: Increasingly, shipping companies are pursuing those alternative routes. Middle Eastern countries are pouring money into pipelines to bypass the Strait of Hormus, while melting polar ice helped the Chinese shipping company become the first to make regular service through the Arctic and devoid who the attacks in the Red Sea for Mexico see the Panama Canals twenty twenty three drought offered an early glimpse of the demand it could face.
Speaker 6: Let's look about twenty twenty three, when the Panama Canal had this trouble about the level of the Gatoon's lake. Three of the main shipping lines called us to us like are you ready to receive containers because they were like losing a lot of money. Unfortunately at that time, the trend was not ready when they called.
Speaker 8: But in those.
Speaker 6: Cases also the idea is to position the corridor as a high quality and a competitive alternative for the different of course disruptions that now we can see they are going to be like more more frequently.
Speaker 5: But I assume you also want to be more than just an emergency alternative for companies as well.
Speaker 6: Totally, totally, I mean, the fact is that the corridor was born with like a main idea cross cargo from one side to another and just used two ports. Today we grew we're considering four ports at the south of Mexico.
Speaker 5: Yet in a world where chokepoint disruptions can happen at a moment, notice, the presence of alternative roots is one thing. Identifying and implementing them is another that's with supply chain logistics firm EXEG. It comes in Brandon Daniels is the company's CEO.
Speaker 9: So here you've got aluminum which is inside of their components. So it says active shipment of aluminum extrusion billets. So it's not just saying, hey, aluminiums a risk, which is what everyone knows today, it's here's the exact part that that aluminum is going into and that you require in order to produce what you're manufacturing that is subject to a critical risk closure.
Speaker 10: So you're not going to get those ships through. You're not going to get those components through. The alternative corridors are not open to allowing you to reroute them today, and so what we're doing is then we're assessing and often these are customized or configured by how the customer thinks about the alternatives and thinks about risk. The volume of disruption has increased astronomically and it has laid bare the fragility of our supply chains.
Speaker 11: Over the last six years. The number one issue at every board is supply chain procurement. Is how are we going to navigate an increasingly volatile world, a world that we were made aware of through COVID, and so when we give you a problem, it's important that we contextualize that problem and then once they've prioritized it, we actually help them to determine the courses of action. Some of those will be courses of action to reroute goods five days out.
Speaker 5: So how quickly can a company going that you're working with go from identifying a risk to implementing a change in the supply chain.
Speaker 11: Once you're actually in the system, once that ERP is connected and we have your suppliers loaded in the system, you can literally see an issue in real time occurring, whether it's the issues with the hooties attacking vessels in the Red Sea, or it's a new party being added to the oh fact list.
Speaker 5: Disruptions are costly for business who The attacks in the Red Sea added an estimated one million dollars per voyage and drove up wartime insurance by nine hundred percent at its peak. It's hoped that alternative corridors like CIIT, combined with platforms like exeger, could help mitigate risk for global trade.
Speaker 11: As the supply chains redistribute. As the supply chains start to utilize these new manufacturing capabilities. As our terra regimes get put in place and enforced, we're going to see a period where there is going to be a premium on resilience, where there is going to be a premium on restructuring and reshoring.
Speaker 5: But even more resilience built in. Rodriguez says, the world's critical corridors will remain as critical as if.
Speaker 7: The fundamental reality is these passages cannot be effectively avoid They are shortcuts within global trade. They have been operational for many of them centuries, for Panama more than one hundred years again one hundred and fifty years or so. So they are there. And the issue, which is more i would say effective, or more of a good idea, is to keep them open. You cannot allow and that's what is tragic about the current circumstances. How did major players in Europe, the UK, France, Germany among others have allowed the world's most important shipping routes to be disrupted Very simplistically, the world economy, the global economy is i would say, leaning on the principle of freedom of navigation, US the world's shipping lanes and the world's strategic passages, and this has been I would say, a regime or a way of doing things that have been in place for quite a while. Currently this regime is being questioned, has been disrupted geopolitically, and that creates some problems.
Speaker 5: Land corridors can also be a growth opportunity for the area they pass through. For Mexico, it hopes the ciit can be not only a corridor but a driver of growth for a region that has historically been among the countries most underdeveloped.
Speaker 6: The real value is of all these industries coming along the corridor, establishing here and creating a raw material for some other industries, semi final products, creating all different things, not only from Mexico, for the rest of the companies along the world. So that's the main idea today of the corridor. It's not only crossing cargo, but also developing value added to the different cargo community life.
Speaker 5: So Mephos team, twenty years down the line, where do you see this corridor and where do you see a position in global trade?
Speaker 6: Well, ten years of course I see the corridor working together with the industrial parks, the train going every day, and development zones outside the industrial parks, because as we know the concept of industrial park is just the company establishing inside, you know, creating job and that's all. But here, for example, the companies that are going to establish here at the corridor, they have to also benefit the community around the industrial park in order to become a really really development pod. Right, And the federal government is working together with some regulation in order to help the commpanies to accomplish these important objectives. In ten years, I see the corridor, of course, with the development of specialized terminals, cars, containers, bulk anything required, like maybe a new train line that goes straight from one point to another one, maybe in lesson and three or less than four hours moving from one side to another one. And at that time I'm expecting to be more competitive or offering more competitiveness than we're offering now.
Speaker 5: So at the start you said you're not trying to compete with the Panama Canal. But then in ten twenty years, could you see a position with the Cardo has expanded to a point where it does compete with something like the Panama cat.
Speaker 6: Yeah, maybe at that time we can talk about more competitive alternative.
Speaker 2: Up next. For years, private equity was the path the higher returns than public markets offered. But that's no longer a given. What does that mean for you your portfolio? This is a story about beating expectations. For years, private equity has been an important tool in the investor's toolbox because of its ability to deliver better returns than public markets, not to speak of what it's meant for entrepreneurs like Dan Namro, who built his own electrical company never expecting private equity to come knocking on his door.
Speaker 4: When I started my business, having an end goal was not even a thought in my mind. I had no idea about business. Never for a second. If I was approached in year one by someone who said, Dan, you're gonna sell this business in eight years for millions of dollars, I would have simply laughed at them.
Speaker 2: And then private equity arrived.
Speaker 3: First I thought it was a joke. I thought it was a scam.
Speaker 4: I within eight years was going to almost twelve x my EBITA and become a newly minted millionaire.
Speaker 2: But that payday came with a trade off. Dan says he did not fully understand.
Speaker 4: I do not want to disparage the company that acquired mine, but I can say that no matter what an owner thinks is going to happen, they need to take a step back and look at the reality of things. And what I mean by that is you are no longer in control of your business. It absolutely one hurt not only my soul, but the soul of the business.
Speaker 2: Dan's experience is one founder's account of one deal, not a verdict on private equity as a whole. And for Nemro, timing was everything he sold at the top when cheap capital and rising evaluations fuel demand for companies like his and justified high prices. Private equity buyers could pay those high prices because they could generate returns simply off of the financing. But all that has changed the.
Speaker 12: Role of private equity is to provide hopefully outsized returns relative to what could be gotten in the public markets. It's provide incrementally higher returns and therefore raise the returns on the whole portfolio.
Speaker 2: According to a report by Bain, private equity deals, fundraising and payouts to investors surged in twenty twenty one, fueled by COVID related stimulus, but then dealmaking slowed in twenty twenty two, forcing private equity managers to return fewer profits to investors. Steve Ratner has spent much of his career in and around private equity. He is now chairman of Willet Advisors, which manages the personal and philanthropic assets of our founder and majority share holder, Michael Bloomberg. Ratner says changes in the market have made the case for private equity less straightforward for investors. There was a time when interest rates were near zero, where there was sort of a crying need for outsize returns. We now have positive interest rates. Has that reduced some of the attraction of private equity?
Speaker 12: Yes, in two ways. First, anytime interest rates go up, the attraction of equities goes down, because if you can invest in a fixed income security and get an interest rate of x, and that's high enough relative to what you think you're going to get with the risk of the volatility and risk associated with equity securities, you're going to migrate toward fixed income. With respect to private equity specifically, there's an additional issue, which is that private equity is heavily financed with debt, and therefore when rates go up, the ability to make the numbers work, so to speak, on a private equity investment gets harder because in affect, your costs have gone up and so you can't pay as much for the company and still make the kind of return you were hoping to make.
Speaker 2: Stephen Kaplan, a professor at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, has studied private equity for decades. As you know, so well, markets go up, markets go down, rates go up, rates go down. But as you look at it to what extent was private equity doing artificially well because we had historically low interest rates, I mean, approaching zero interest rates? Did that distort the process?
Speaker 13: I don't buy that so much. Private equity really outperformed for a long period of time in all interest rate environments. And I think the you know, the late you know, twenty teens rates were low, and maybe that was a help. But the private equity firms also benefit from improving their companies, and the public markets also benefited from the lower interest rates. So you know, it's sort of as an apples to apples comparison. That's why I like just looking at how the private equity does relative to the public markets and the S and P five hundred in particular, because the S and P five hundred is going to be affected by many of the same things.
Speaker 2: According to Professor Kaplan. An analysis of US buyout funds shows that private equity largely delivered on its promise of beating public markets for decades from the nineteen nineties all the way through twenty eighteen. But since twenty nineteen that pattern has reversed, in part because Big Tech's remarkable rise has pushed public market returns higher, and in part because the higher prices generated during the boom days have made it harder for investors to get their money out. The ultimate goal, by and large, is to sell the company at some point. That has become more difficult in recent years, perhaps in part because of the increase in interest rate. Certainly we talked to limited partners who say, wait, I'd like my money back now, and the general partners saying, oh no, no, it's too soon. I'd like to hold on for a while. What's the problem with exit right now?
Speaker 13: The deals in twenty twenty and twenty one, they paid high prices, then they got hit by interest rate increases, and those deals are not doing so well. And I think a number of the private equity firms don't want to sell because they think if they hold it longer, they'll be able to get a higher value and as a result, they're not selling, and so realizations or you know what they call in the industry DPI, which is distributed capital per invested is on the low side, and that's what LPs are complaining about rightfully so.
Speaker 2: Pitchbook reports that the backlog of companies held by private equity firms has now reached over thirty three thousand, up from only nineteen thousand a decade ago, and with less support from cheap leverage and rising valuations, private equity firms are increasingly being judged on what they can actually do with the companies they buy. Andrew Weinberg, founder and CEO of the private equity firm bright Star Capital Partners, says twenty twenty two represented a fundamental shift.
Speaker 14: I think twenty twenty two is an inflection point for our industry. If you look at the prior twenty years, if you bought something and grew at a few percent a year and took on some leverage and had multiple expansion, that was a great return. And I think the main research report did a great job of chronicling this and then said, Okay, here's a new norm post twenty twenty two, which is the old five percent growth is really now a twelve percent bottom line growth to achieve the same return that one did before. I love it personally because I've been waiting for this market. I've been waiting for a market where the investor can differentiate between the manager that is purely focused on leverage and multiple expansion to the manager that is focused on operational value add and the application of a So in terms of being ready for this environment, we've built Bright Start to be ready for this environment. We have a deep team of not only investors but operators who have experience in the space to do it. And I think what the investor is going to end up seeing is a much bigger differentiation or distribution of returns from managers based upon who has built their firm for this environment.
Speaker 2: As performance pressures for private equity funds grow, investors increasingly focus on issues like how they get their money out and what fees they're paying. Jason Tyler, president of Wealth Management at Northern Trust, helps wealthy families and family offices navigate the changing investment landscape.
Speaker 15: Now the fund sponsors are coming up with. First of all, they're trying to get to new investors that didn't typically have either the interest or the ability to invest, and so they're trying to create more liquidity, and that will attract investors that don't feel comfortable having their money held up for eight to ten years. That attracts a smaller investment size. And then on the conversely, a lot of the largest investors, a lot of the ones that we have as clients, their historical ability to invest, they'd say, well, we don't want to pay the fees that these funds have, so will be more patient and we'll look for ways to invest directly into companies. Well, now the private equity funds are saying, we'll find that opportunity as well. Maybe a client, maybe an investor, can invest in our fund, but if they do that, we'll give them an opportunity to invest without the same fees, directly into the company.
Speaker 2: Investors historically don't like to pay fees, or at least like to pay the lowest fees they can. At the same time, are some family offices are ultra high net worth people discovering actually it's not that easy, and it's pretty expensive even to do it yourself.
Speaker 15: It's a great way to frame it because a lot of investors think, well, I love the investments I've had, but would I want to pay the fees here? And so a lot of what the top private equity funds do is they're explaining to their investors all the hard work they're doing to source and then do research and their investment thesis and due diligence on companies as a value add so that in direct investors acknowledge and have to appreciate that there is work that's being done by the funds that they're not able to do alone or even potentially with the family office staff that they've hired, which oftentimes are great, great, very strong professionals, but they just don't have the resources of a large private equity fund.
Speaker 2: There's little doubt that private equity is here to stay. But as financing becomes more expensive and exits take longer, the market could be narrowing the field and rewarding firms that can prove they bring more than capital to the companies they buy.
Speaker 13: Well, what you're going to see is some of these private equity firms perform, some of them don't perform. They're not going to get more money. In some cases they will, and that's the capitalist system.
Speaker 2: But whatever the pressure's on private equity firms. For people like Dan Namro who are selling, the question isn't whether private equity is beating market expectations, but whether the price they're receiving beats their own expectations. The sale of his electrical business gave him the means to start over, which he's now doing from a beach in Costa Rica, a pretty comfortable way to beat expectations coming up. For nearly seventy years, Cuban emigrants have been waiting to return and invest in their native country again, as yet another economic crisis looms. May this just be that time? This is a story about hope trying over experience. Once again, the Cuban economy appears to be on the brink of collapse in the face of tightening US economic sanctions, this time without the potential for help from the Soviet Union or Venezuela.
Speaker 1: We're not invest in Cuba.
Speaker 5: It would be a lot.
Speaker 13: The only way I'd live in Cuba is if the Cuban system collapses and Cuba becomes a democracy.
Speaker 5: And communism falls, I would return to Cuba.
Speaker 2: The section of Miami known as Little Havana is home to over half of Cuban Americans whose families fled the Castro Revolution nearly seventy years ago, and even as Havana, two hundred miles to their south, struggles, many remain hopeful that things can and must change.
Speaker 16: Cuba's in a lot of trouble because, unfortunately for them, it's run by a bunch of incompetent communists, and being communist is bad.
Speaker 12: Being an incompetent communist is.
Speaker 9: Like the worst.
Speaker 2: Before the revolution, in nineteen fifty nine, Cuba had the third largest GDP per capita in Latin America. Today, the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean estimates that the country has the lowest nominal GDP per capita in the.
Speaker 16: Region because of the US sanctions. They've just been staffed a finance for so long. I think every sector, pretty much every sector is open to investment.
Speaker 2: Emily Morris is a research fellow at University College London. There's a lot of uncertainty about Cuba right now. I want to ask you to predict what will happen, but give me a range of scenarios that might happen.
Speaker 16: Okay, Well, the first scenario is I suppose the intended scenario for the actions that have been taken by the US. You create such a lot of hardship that somehow the population turned against their government or the government is forced to resign, and then you have a change of regime and you have a new political system, and then you have the restoration of capitalism. The second scenario is that the US continues to create more and more hardship and it just situation just gets worse and worse in Cubas. The third scenario if you went in and took out either the president or Raoul Castro who's ninety five, and then somebody who else would step in, and then the fourth scenario is what you know they refer to, as you know, greater military action, which would be to put to ramp up the pressure by using US military to damage infrastructure, all the rest of it. Again unlikely to achieve the objectives.
Speaker 2: Some who hope for changeing the Cuban economy point to President ds Canal's proposed reforms.
Speaker 17: In the non state sector, the list of prohibited activities will be narrowed. There is also a set of regulations to encourage foreign direct investment. They concerned the rate of superficies, removing obstacles the use of bank accounts in Foreign Direct Investment Approval Timeline.
Speaker 2: In June, Cuban lawmakers pass one hundred and seventy six sweeping free market reforms, including the expansion of foreign and private investment, the decentralization of Cuba's economy, and liberalization of factors such as tourism, banking, property, and agriculture.
Speaker 16: We've had this statement by the Cubans, which is an interesting one and I think we should you take it seriously. But this is an acceleration. It's much more explicit in it's an invitation to Cuban Americans to invest in Cuba. It includes privatizations, a wider opening to foreign investment, and the actually withdrawal of the government from central planning system that.
Speaker 18: In this very difficult context in twenty twenty, the balance seems to have tipped in favor of those who favor market reforms, but they have a credibility problem.
Speaker 2: Pavel Vidal is a professor at Ponteficia Universidad Havariana in Cali, Colombia. He is Cuban born and worked at Cuba's Central Bank and the Center for the Study of the Cuban Economy until he left the country. In twenty twelve.
Speaker 18: We need to see how they move forward with these reforms to effectively demonstrate that these aren't temporary reforms, mere cosmetic changes or announcements, but that they are genuinely willing to change the ownership structure, the mechanisms of the economy, and that the state will withdraw from the economy, giving more room to domestic and foreign capital internationality.
Speaker 2: But where some see the promise of the announcement, others are deeply skeptical, particularly some Cuban American investors eager to return to investing in their home country.
Speaker 8: They are afraid as a communist dictatorship of the entrepreneurial class having actually freedom and actually having essentially an opposition that can challenge their government.
Speaker 2: Andrew Nadarci Leon is a Cuban American hotelier whose Lion Growth has substantial real estate investments in the United States.
Speaker 8: They're never going to allow for any meaningful amount of private market activity. They're completely lying, you know, and it's a farce this, you know, these steps that they're taking with these supposed reforms, they're doing it to buy time. They're doing it because they're trying to run out the clock. On the Trump administration and the efforts of President Trump and Secretary Mark or Rubio. That's what they're playing for. The Cuban people know it.
Speaker 2: We just want them to be a nicely run country.
Speaker 5: We're going to let our people go back and let them invest in Cuba if they'd like.
Speaker 2: Essential to President Trump's plans to open Cuba up to US investment are the heavy sanctions he has imposed, sanctions that have hit the Cuban economy hard, including one of the most promising sectors, tourism. Since May, hotel groups including Melia, Iberostar, Blue Diamond, and Archipelago International, have either pulled the plug or curtailed operations, and the number of visits last year were down sixty two percent from the country's peak in twenty eighteen, the lowest in twenty years other than during the COVID nineteen pandemic.
Speaker 8: The offering of services in Cuba is obviously significantly limited by how broken that economy is, and so for many years now, the tourism market in Cuba, you know, was not a market that had you know, five star properties, I mean upper rop scale luxury. Was not really something that you saw in a significant way in Cuba it was, it was a lower rated market. The good thing is that there is a significant amount of existing properties there, existing assets and existing infrastructure within the tourism industry. I think it requires firms like Hours going and acquiring those properties, reinvesting and reimagining and upgrading those properties, and also bringing the operating conditions of those properties to a world class scale. And so that's the lens through which we're looking at investing in Cuba. Surely there will also be the development of brand new resorts. I think there will be an opportunity for the development of branded residential product right which often is joined together with resorts or other types of hospitality properties. And so we think the future is very bright in that sector, without a doubt, and it's a very important pillar of the economic recovery of the island. To reaism.
Speaker 18: But as I said, tourism we need you seems to be a sector, at least initially that can generate opportunities, especially if travel restrictions for US citizens are eased. They could provide the natural market for a boom in visitor arrivals, as happened for example, with the easing of sanctions and travel restrictions during the Obama administration.
Speaker 2: Vinallo says, at this point, the Cuban government isn't looking to places like Mexico or Chile to inform its economic policies. It most often cites Vietnam or even China. As Cuba seeks to rebuild its economy. Are there lessons that can learn from other Latin American countries?
Speaker 18: Normally the models the Cuban government tends to look to are Vietnam and China, especially since they are making economic changes and so far have not mentioned political changes. So that transformation model, well, that's their preference. I'm not saying that's the model that will prevail. There are factors that would hinder the possibility of carrying out reforms along Vietnamese and Chinese lines without political changes. So I think Latin America's influence, it's democratic institutions and the rule of law offer lessons that will have to reach Cuba at some point.
Speaker 16: Cuba is very close to Vietnam. They've had experts coming over. They explicitly say that they're studying or they're following the Vietnamese model but adapting it to the Cuban reality and so on. They're looking for a Vietnam model a very different kind of economy. The Vietnamese model or economy at the time of the beginning of the transition was very rural, is very urban society. It's a very externally dependent economy. So you know, the conditions are different. But the idea of following a transition path towards a mixed economy is clearly and explicitly stated now by the Cuban government.
Speaker 2: But some of those who know best say that for real economic reform, Cuba will need to change its entire political system away from state control.
Speaker 18: It is not clear what model is supposed to guide this proposed transformation in Cuba. In fact, that's a problem. They want state owned enterprises to retain a significant role, along with significant state intervention in the economy. That would be more of a Scandinavian type model, where market reforms are expanded but the state continues to play a significant role in regulating economic processes, which would mark a departure from Latin America.
Speaker 2: For Cuban Americans, it's been a long wait to see conditions on the ground change enough to bring them back. There's been hope for some seventy years, and at least so far, the experience has not risen to the level of those hopes, But make no mistake about the appetite to return.
Speaker 8: You know myself, I think the entire Cuban exile community has been dreaming about this day to be able to support our brothers and sisters and see our country be reconstructed, and see our country become a beacon of freedom, a beacon of economic prosperity and hope for the entire region.