Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final hour.
Speaker 3: In the program, morale is high to meet Friday white bean chicken chili that has been simmering for three hours now, and it is beautiful Jamaican beef patties as well. Who has it better than we do? Staut of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. If you're just tuning in, Pete Carroll is back in the NFL, the Raiders and Pete Carroll working on a deal, finalizing a deal to make him the next head coach of the Raiders, reportedly a three year deal. Booker McFarlane in the Mothership. We'll get his reaction to this coming up shortly, and Ryan Day, Ohio state head coach, will stop by as well. The Jags have a new coach. He's Liam Cohen and he left Tampa Bay, went to Jacksonville and then came back to Tampa Bay, and then left Tampa Bay and then went back to Jacksonville.
Speaker 2: And now he goes back as the head coach.
Speaker 3: Commander's Eagles three Eastern Bills, Chiefs six point thirty Eastern and Weather shouldn't be an issue either one of these places. Commanders still getting six and the Bills are getting one and a half. More phone calls coming up this final hour, we make way for NFL College and ESPN College and NFL analyst Booker McFarland on the program. Your reaction to Pete Carroll back in the NFL coach and the Raiders booger.
Speaker 4: Well, I think the Raiders wants stability. I think that's the one thing you're getting when you get a veteran coach like Pete Carroll.
Speaker 5: I think it's good.
Speaker 4: I think Pete Carroll is going to give them a sense of okay, now we are a professional organization. Not that they weren't well with Antonio Peers, but you just got the feeling that there was always the question, are we going to keep Antonio or are we not? I think Pete Carroll's hire says we got our coach. I think it's a three year deal with the team option for the fourth, so I think Pete's in good shape now has the ability. Now comes the big question, Dan, who's going to be the quarterback? Because I don't think Gardner, Minshew or aoc ain't O'Connell. Either one of them are the answers. So now they have to figure that out. And then I think Pete Carroll has always been a guy that got his team to play at a maximum level.
Speaker 5: So I expect no different now with the Raiders.
Speaker 3: Okay, but as a veteran, like what is Pete Carroll going to bring to that organization aside from stability, but I'm talking about day to day like why would Pete Carroll be the person that they wanted. I know they lost out on Ben Johnson, but yeah, you go from Ben Johnson with no head coaching experience to Pete Carroll with a lot of head coaching experience.
Speaker 4: Structure, been there, He's taking teams to Super Bowls. Like, Pete understands how to get it done. Pete knows what it takes. And I think anytime you have somebody that stands in front of the room who knows what it takes, you automatically have buy in because you've been there, You've done that, and so now the players know that if we just do what Pete says, Pete will take us there. And there's nothing better in any type of job that you're in. I think you will attest to this, there's nothing better than confidence. It's amazing what happens when you get the right people in the right place. How that gives an organization confidence. Just look at the Washington Commanders. They were left for dead last year. Incomes Dan Quinn. They get new ownership, they get a new quarterback, and they're planning for a chance to go to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: Dan.
Speaker 4: Let that be no better example than when you get the right people in the right spot. Now your organization can take off. Whether the Raiders take off at that level, we'll see, but they definitely have the right coach.
Speaker 5: In my opinion.
Speaker 3: The big difference is obviously Jaden Daniels. But is this team's pretty much the team that was there last year and then you add Jayden to this. I mean, is it that simple that that kind of turnaround.
Speaker 4: Well, the quarterback is a big piece, and then you bring in Bobby Wagner, you get some veteran guys, but there's no question that the quarterback is the central piece to that touches the ball every single play. Then and when you have a guy that's a difference maker that touches the ball every single play, now, the other fifty two guys in the organization understanding know that we got a guy that can compete with the upper echeline of the league.
Speaker 5: And I'm not saying he's.
Speaker 4: Better than Mahomes or Borough, Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen, but he can't compete. And when I wake up and go to the building every morning, man, that's a great feeling because I know, if I do my job.
Speaker 5: We got a chance.
Speaker 4: There's a difference when you have a guy in there. And no disrespect to Sam Howell. Sam Howell wasn't getting me warm and fuzzy every time I walked in the building. Jay Daniels gives me an opportunity to be that way.
Speaker 2: How do they beat the Eagles?
Speaker 5: Stop the run?
Speaker 4: They gotta stop, say Kwan Barkley. And it sounds crazy because Jalen Hurts. We've seen him go toe to toe with Patrick Mahomes and the Super Bowl. But they got to make Jalen Hurst beat him. They got to make Jalen Hurst throw the football to AJ Brown and Devonte Smith.
Speaker 5: I think it's the lesser of.
Speaker 4: Two evils because either one the passing game or the running game, can get you. But I think if you are the command who's You've got to take away these fifty sixty seven yard run that sain Kwon Bark has been putting up and make Jalen Hurts beat you. And I think if they do that, they'll at least give themselves an opportunity to.
Speaker 3: We don't know if he's one hundred percent Jalen hurds right. So given that you know that knee could be a little bonky, do you want to kind of force him to be mobile as opposed to force him to being a pocket pancer.
Speaker 4: Well, I think anytime he's in the pocket number one, you want to get pressure up the middle, Like with Jonathan Allen Deron Payin. You want pressure up the middle, and then you want to make him go to his left. I think the numbers are are astronomically worse when he goes to his left, as you would expect right handed quarterback going left. It's tougher to throw. So you want to make him go to his left rather than Scramblin says right. So if I'm bringing pressure, I'm bringing pressure from his right arm. I'm going to make him go left. Anything you can get to take advantage of his impairment, because let's face it, Nobody, even if you don't get your knee twisted, is healthy this time of year, but especially him when he got that knees twisted up. I mean, we thought maybe he wasn't going to come back in the game last week, and then he comes back and he finishes. I don't think he's going to be one hundred percent. I think if you're an Eagles fan and you're hoping he's closer to eighty five or ninety, I would bet he's probably closer to seventy five.
Speaker 5: Will know early.
Speaker 4: I'm blitzing him early, and I'm going to see whether or not he can run. And if I know early on he can't run, that changes my entire game plan. And so I think you're gonna see dan Quinn find out in the first series how healthy that knee is by bringing pressure from the from the right, from his right arm or up the middle, make him run and just see how healthy he is.
Speaker 3: What would you do as a defensive player with Mahomes with the sliding that going out of the going out of bounds, Dude, it feels like you know, he knows he's protected and he's kind of flirting with these rules here. But as a defensive player, what would you do.
Speaker 5: I think it's up to the coaches.
Speaker 4: Number one pregame, I think you have a talk to the referee, like, hey, listen, we know the quarterback is protected. However, how do you want us to handle this when he's a runner, Because when he's a runner, he's not protected, because again he's a runner, not a quarterback in the pocket. But we've seen mahomes run down the field and then slide twenty or thirty yards down the field. And so I'm having a talk with the referee just to say, hey, let's alert and be on alert for the late slide because if I'm already in my tackling motion, I can't stop. And then you got to tell your defenders, hey, guys, let's proceed with aggressive caution. And here's what I mean. You got to go ahet in one hundred miles an hour. And then at the last minute, if you think if he's sliding, then use your hands. Don't hit him with your elbow in your head, use your hands to get him down. I think the biggest deal with these penalties is you're seeing a lot of blows with your shoulder pass or the helmet or the form to Patrick mahomes head, let's use our hands to get him on the ground. And I think if they do that, they'll probably get the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 5: But I think.
Speaker 4: Patrick understands how to manipulate the rules a little bit, and I don't blame it. How many times have we seen him though, like he's going out of bounds and he puts that foot in the ground.
Speaker 5: And gets another ten or fifteen No, I know.
Speaker 4: I think that's where you have to alert the reff like, hey, how are you going to call that?
Speaker 5: And what would you like me to do?
Speaker 2: Booker, I've said it now.
Speaker 3: I'm not calling for it, but I know that somebody's going to hit him. Somebody's going to pop him at some point. If you're going to continue to flirt with the I'm going out of bound, not going out of bounds, I'm sliding them, not sly, somebody's going to take a shot. Deal with the fifteen yards benches clear, Maybe a fine, But until the NFL, if you want to protect your quarterbacks, they have to do better at this rule or these rules so the defense can understand how can this be a level playing field, because as it is now, it's not a level playing field. And maybe they don't want that booger, but at some point I worry that somebody's gonna take Sean Well.
Speaker 4: I don't think to your point, I don't know if they wanted to be a level playing field because they realize that the quarterbacks sell. Like right now, we're looking at Jay and Daniels, Jalen Hurts, Patrick Mahomes, and Josh Allen, and I think the NFL is salivating right now that we're gonna any combination of two of these four quarterbacks in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: We can sell it.
Speaker 4: And that's what you want, Like if you go back to the Super Bowl with Nick Foles in it, like the NFL, like Philadelphia want everybody's happy. But we ain't selling Nick Foles to America to tune in with one hundred and thirty million people. I love Nick Foles, but he's not making me warm and fuzzy to turn the TV to CBS. And so I think that the NFL is going to protect their quarterbacks. However, you have to make the game fair for defensive players. And to your point, Dan, I may even tell my defenders this, hey, guys, early in the game, first half, first half, I'll give you.
Speaker 5: I'll give you a little leeway.
Speaker 4: So if he's going out of bounds, take a shot because we can recover in the second half. Now, like the game, you gotta be cautious, but the first half, let's light his ass up a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: NFL Prime Time with Chris Berman and Booger McFarland right after the game, the AFC Title Game at around nine to forty five Eastern on the Mothership.
Speaker 2: Are the Bills a running team?
Speaker 4: I think the Bills are whatever they need to be team. You know, when they had Stefan Diggs, that's all we talked about was Stefan Diggs, Josh Allen. Now they've morphed into this team that they can do whatever they need to do. They went out and got a Marik Cooper so they can throw the football to secure Amari Cooper. They got the two tidy impactags they can go to they can throw at the James, could go out to the backfield, so they have weapons to throw the football. However, I think what we've realized is this postseason, Dan, the more physical teams are winning these games.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: The team that can control the line of scrimmage and be physically imposing. Those are the teams that are winning these games. And I think Buffalo said, Okay, we've tried this with Josh being Superman.
Speaker 5: That didn't work. We've tried this a number of ways. So how about let's be physical.
Speaker 4: Let's get thirty five carries a game between our running backs and Josh Allen.
Speaker 5: Let's control the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 4: And then in those moments late in the movie, okay about the time the movies about the commes tell the god at quarterback to put the kpe on and now go turn into Superman. And when he turns into Superman, that means whatever he needs to do.
Speaker 5: If he needs to.
Speaker 4: Run thirty, run thirty, If he needs to throw a sixty, to throw a sixty. And so I think they've developed into that type of team with one caveat, don't turn the football over. They haven't turned the ball over, and I think those are the primary reasons they've been successful.
Speaker 2: Are you chiefed out?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I never get chiefed out, because when you're a competitor, every year is different. And so to say I'm chiefed out with mean that I'm rooting for. I'm not rooting for the best teams. I think that each and every time you go out, you got to earn it. The Chiefs have earned back to back Super Bowls. If they get to a third, they will have earned it. Everything is earned in this business. Then nothing is given, man, And so I'm not chiefed out because I know how hard it is to go and earn what it is that you need to get to win a Super Bowl. I won two of them, none of them. Nothing has ever been given. Everything has got to be earned.
Speaker 2: Do you think the Chiefs get favorable calls?
Speaker 4: I think the home team is always going to get favorable calls, and the Chiefs have pretty much been at home except for one playoff run, So I do think that they get favorable calls because the crowd think about this. I'm gonna put a scenario out there. Let's say Patrick Mahomes is running down the chief sideline and there's a questionable hit. Everybody in the stadium along with everybody in the sideline, is going to be throw the flag through the flag and human nature is going to.
Speaker 5: Kind of influenced the offishal.
Speaker 4: Look like it takes somebody really that that's got a really nice temperament and a really strong demeanor not to listen to seventy thousand plus all the coaches.
Speaker 5: In front of your in front of your face doing that.
Speaker 4: So I think the home team, especially on the home sideline, always get a favorable flag.
Speaker 3: My best to Chris Berman and we'll be watching Sunday night. Great to talk to you again.
Speaker 5: Always man, love coming on with you guys. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: Sir Booger McFarlane. One of these days he's coming up for a meet Friday. It keeps threatening. I mean, we'll get ready, we'll have he can create the menu NFL Primetime with Chris Berman and Booger right after the conclusion of the AFC title game on the mother Ship Alex in Utah. Then we'll take a break. Ryan Day, the Ohio state head coach, will join us.
Speaker 8: Hey Alex, Hey, morning guys, Happy Meet Friday.
Speaker 5: I am yeah.
Speaker 8: I in my short time as like a big foot, I can't think of a better coach division than the AFC West now, So I guess that's sort of my question is, is there has there been a better coach division where you have potentially four Hall of famers all coaching one division at the same time and also makes me wonder how long before Tom Brady goes to give Pete Carroll high five and then just low balls him by saying, hey, Malcolm Butler and then boss away.
Speaker 3: I don't know if Malcolm Butler comes up in the press conference when they introduced Pete Carol, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Just guessing, yeah, coach, we're handing this one off.
Speaker 4: Or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pete, game on the line. You're gonna run the ball to go? Are you going to pass the ball?
Speaker 6: Question?
Speaker 2: We'll have to do some research.
Speaker 3: Is this the best head coaching division in recent memory?
Speaker 2: With the NFL?
Speaker 5: Yes, morv recent memory.
Speaker 9: I was going to say all time, NFC East was a parcels, Tom Landry, Joe Gibbs.
Speaker 5: That's just all the top Jack.
Speaker 2: For mel.
Speaker 3: Was was Vermeil the head coach. Then the Eagles checkingiggles. All right, let me take a break. We'll talk to Brian day after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 10: So check us out. We like to get you involved, to take your phone calls.
Speaker 11: Shop it up.
Speaker 10: As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media.
Speaker 11: That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 3: Try to sneak in a few more phone calls here waiting for Ryan Day, head coach at Ohio State. That AFC West with Pete Carroll with the Raiders, Jim Harball with the Chargers, Sean Payton and Denver, Andy Reid and Kansas City. We were trying to come up with on short notice, is there another conference division that had coaches that would rival this one? Because Andy Reach's Hall of Famer, Jim Harball, he's a football Hall of Fame, not NFL hall of Fame. And Sean Payton probably a borderline Hall of Famer. Pete Carroll in there as well, winning a Super Bowl and lose a Super Bowl as well, but now back with the Raiders and a three year deal.
Speaker 2: Age seven to seven to three.
Speaker 3: DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. He's Ryan Day, head coach at Ohio State, National Champs coach. Congratulations. How much of this was joy and how much of this was relief?
Speaker 6: And it was a combination of the two.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it was it was both, and I think the whole run that we went on throughout the playoffs was that way. I really haven't had as much fun coaching a team like that in a long time.
Speaker 6: It was just a bunch of guys together. There really was no class.
Speaker 12: Because class was out, and we just spent a bunch of time together and had a bunch of fun, bunch of fun playing. But in the end, as we headed in that last game, we just knew that, you know, it would just be another story that kind of comes and goes. But now the fact that we won, we're able to cement that story in the history of college football, and obviously at Ohio State.
Speaker 3: Take me back to Michigan and I had a former player say this to me that when Michigan tried to plant the flag, that maybe brought your team together or more together. Whether that's true or not, you would know that better. But it's almost like it galvanized this team. Nothing's going to be easy us against the world. They embarrassed us. Now let's go out and prove that we're still the best team. Anything I'm saying that wasn't true.
Speaker 12: I think it's certainly part of the story of the year. There's no question about that. And I felt like this team was close anyways. I thought we were galvanized. But when you go through something like that, you know you have to regroup and figure out, most importantly, what happened, and how do we get these things fixed? So you know, there's a lot of ways to look at this, and some more dramatic than others, but the truth is we had to get things fixed. There was things that were just not right coming out of that game that you know, in all three phases, we need to get addressed. And that was the bottom line. And then there was a lot of other things that came with it, as you know. And you know, once we got those things addressed and the players recognize that things needed to get fixed and knew the plan going into the Tennessee game, there was just there was a collective, just like you said, a bunch of guys together saying, all right, we're gonna make this run and we're gonna be dangerous once we get some momentum going again.
Speaker 2: But how does this affect you personally?
Speaker 3: You lose to Michigan again, and you know that topic in Columbus in that state, and you know, you're you're I don't know if you're fighting for survival or what tell me your emotions where you lose to Michigan again and you know the importance of what that means.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, certainly you know there was obviously disappointment amongst all the other emotions, but you know, once those things kind of come and go and you have a couple of.
Speaker 6: Days, you have to refocus yourself.
Speaker 12: And as difficult as that was, it was an opportunity to write an unbelievable story and then the next month and I felt like it was an opportunity for me as a dad, as a husband, and as a man to show my family that you know, when you get knocked down and you're backed up against the wall, that you know, it's about how you handle yourself and how you fight yourself out of these types of situations. And then and then, you know, for our team, you know, for the guys on the team and the seniors and even the young guys to watch, you know, you know, how you handle yourself and then have something to grab on to it for the rest of their life, and then serve as an example for all the Buckeye fans who you know, certainly you know had ups and downs this season, but we're able to, you know, see how you handle yourself when when things get really really difficult, and I think that really defines people's character.
Speaker 3: It was reported there were death threats how do you talk to your kids about that, or your wife about how do you process that?
Speaker 6: I think every year for us it's become.
Speaker 12: Easier to manage when you know, our family first was named you know, the head coach in twenty nineteen. My wife and the kids were smaller than we were all sitting on the bed together, and I've told the story before.
Speaker 6: She said, you know, started crying, said our family's never going to be the same again.
Speaker 12: And she was right. But that didn't make it easy. You know, you're expected to win them all, and when you don't, it's it's tough. But that's because of the passion, and nobody puts more pressure on themselves than myself and my family. Nobody wants to win more than my kids and my wife. So it isn't so much that because they're more disappointed than anybody could possibly be in Buckeye Nation. And so we shared the same frustration because you know, my family and my kids want to win worse than even I do. I mean, they just that's the way they're wired, and they love the fans, and so you know, when you do lose, you know, there's there's a feeling of disappointment, and you share in the frustration with people because they love it so much.
Speaker 6: But that's that's also living, you know, your relevant. I mean, that's that's.
Speaker 12: What makes Ohio State so special is because people care so much. Now with that comes from some craziness, but that's okay. It also makes when you win that much more special.
Speaker 2: What was it like when you saw your family after you won the title?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: That was, man, that was a special moment.
Speaker 12: You know, something that you know, always remember, just the fact that you could look at your your family and your wife and the eyes and say, hey, we did this thing together, and they did.
Speaker 6: They were a big part of it.
Speaker 12: And we know where we were about a month and a half ago and where we are right now, and it was pure joy.
Speaker 3: Like you mentioned earlier, he's Ryan Day, head coach of Ohio State National Champs. Take me back to the third and eleven call. Who makes the call and was what was the other option in that situation?
Speaker 6: Well, we were trying to run down the clock. We had.
Speaker 12: There's a point in the game where we're up by multiple scores and you start doing the math on it and you're like, man, if we can just run out a few minutes, you know, each time we have the ball and continue to get some first.
Speaker 6: Downs, and we could just you can milk this thing and win.
Speaker 12: And when you're talking about being that close to a national championship, you know you're holding on real tight. Maybe held on a little too tight. But on first and second down, we were gonna run the ball. We thought about throwing it on second down because we saw a man the man coverage on the outside, and you know, wanted to keep the clock running. And then they called the time out and on the headset there's a lot of back and forth there. Our whole offensive staff, I thought, did a great job throughout the whole run chips obviously right there, and and we said, you know, we run one more time and chew up the clock, and some guys said, no, let's let's let's call a third down play. And so we looked at the call sheet and we saw a play that is one of our bass plays that we put in day one.
Speaker 6: We're literally it's a.
Speaker 12: Go ball on the outside of the outside receivers and a middle read by our h and a couple of checkdowns by the inside guys and say, if we're lucky enough to get one on one on the outside and when we were launching that thing up away from the free safety, and we had worked hard on that route in particular because we knew we were getting a certain technique in the game, and so when we saw it, you know, our eyes lit up, so the wills and certainly had to be executed.
Speaker 6: But it was like in slow motion.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, what's it like when that ball's in the air?
Speaker 6: Slow motion?
Speaker 12: Just like holding your breath knowing that if we catch this thing, we're probably national champs. And there's an unbelievable picture. It's a still photo from the sideline from the other way. You can see our entire sideline as the balls in the air, and just the look of everybody's face on that sideline is amazing, just because everyone can see like, we catch this ball, we're gonna be national champs.
Speaker 6: It was quite a moment.
Speaker 3: How difficult is it to keep your roster together? There's a report that Jeremiah Smith offered four and a half million dollars. Like Ohio State doesn't usually lose players, but all in today's nil and transfer portal, everybody's fair game. So how do you go about having conversations or retaining some of your players.
Speaker 12: I think the first thing you have to bring in great people and great families, but you also have to value them and try to do everything you can to get what they deserve and what's fair. But there's also something to be said for being around a program like ours, and you know, you think if it's all equal, you know we'll have a chance to to get our share of guys.
Speaker 6: But but it is different. There's no question.
Speaker 12: I think as coaches were all looking for a little bit more guidelines on this. I mean, everything is so gray right now, and.
Speaker 3: How does that work though, coach that let's say I wanted to talk to Jeremiah, Let's say I'm Georgia. I want to talk to him, like, how does that go about that you get in front of somebody or you know, you put a price tag?
Speaker 2: And is there tampering and college football?
Speaker 12: I think one of the big issues that we have in across the board in college football.
Speaker 6: Right now is enforcement.
Speaker 12: I mean, you just you know, you know some of the stories of some of the things that have gone on just you know, within the last couple of years or even in the past, but enforcement is really strained right now, and so until we start enforcing some of these rules. Like you said, I mean, people can just call someone's agents or someone's parents and offer them a certain amount of money and then it goes from there. And that's just part of it. I mean, there's so many other things that come in place. So that's one of the things to me that I think we've got to get addressed in college sports, in college football is enforcement because right now there's virtually none, and it's it's gotten worse as time has gone on.
Speaker 3: When's the last time that NFL team reached out to you?
Speaker 6: You know, they don't really reach out to me.
Speaker 12: They would reach out, I guess to my agent, and that happened sometimes, but you know, we've not really engaged because I love Ohio.
Speaker 6: State and I want to be here as long as I can.
Speaker 2: So that's not a goal.
Speaker 6: No, that's not a goal.
Speaker 12: It's not a goal, and I wouldn't say that, I wouldn't consider that somewhere down the line. But my son is a sophomore in high school, my daughters are in middle school. They love it here, and you know, I want to be here, you know, through there, through there, you know, run through high school and then you know, see what the next phase brings. But but like I said, you know, once the confetti fell, that was it.
Speaker 6: It's on next year.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 6: Do you get a vacation, Yeah, yeah, yeah, we'll have We'll have some time.
Speaker 12: But but it's not like, you know, we're going away to Tahiti for a week.
Speaker 2: Were you on the phone to recruits after the national title?
Speaker 6: Recruits and and you know are our current players? And yeah, that night.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a great Saban would do that.
Speaker 3: He'd win a national title, get on the phone and say to a recruit, hey, you could be celebrating with us, confetti probably in his hair.
Speaker 2: Did you do that?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 6: But you know what's interesting is the timetables changed. So the early signing day.
Speaker 12: We had one hundred and forty five guys in our team this year, and over twenty of them were recruits that started classes on January sixth, so they were actually with the team for the last two games. So instead of the signing day, which should have been happening next Wednesday, they had signed and were enrolled in classes.
Speaker 6: So like, the timetables changed a lot.
Speaker 12: But you know, we have obviously, you know, been recruiting the twenty sixth class, which is about another year away.
Speaker 3: Where would you put Jeremiah Smith with the other receivers you've coached.
Speaker 6: Well after the first year, it's hard to put him anywhere other than one. I think some of those guys had great freshman years, but not not like this.
Speaker 3: We need to check his birth certificate, Like, how old do you see, coach, come on?
Speaker 6: Nineteen years old?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Yeah, but he's special and we knew he was special, and his maturity is beyond his years physically, mentally and emotionally.
Speaker 6: He's a special talent, as you know.
Speaker 3: Congrats, enjoy it while you can because we know what happens. So this season starts, then there's the Michigan game. Keep smiling, never ends, does it?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 6: Coach never does respect.
Speaker 3: That's a Ryan Day, head coach of Ohio State won the national title.
Speaker 2: And you know what, I got a big kick out of it.
Speaker 3: They win, and he's trying to get his headset off and his belt off and he's running down the sidelines and he just throws it. I don't know where it goes, but that joy was that's relief, that's true relief. And you hadn't had that before. But imagine you sit down with your family. You're trying to explain, hey, our life has just changed, and like you're not taking the job of you know, Kansas football. This is Ohio sting and your life will change for the better and maybe for the worst. And then you get death threats when you lose to Michigan, and then you've got to talk to your family about that, just so they understand. I mean, Dan Campbell in Detroit got death threats. This is Detroit where you're going like, thank god I got Dan Campbell as my coach.
Speaker 2: We almost got there. You had no hope before. Damn.
Speaker 3: They're a parade for But that's you know, that's the sad reality of this. It is big time business. We like to make it amateur sports. It is business. That is business. Unfortunately, Yeah, point.
Speaker 13: And you said the phrase roster retention. Five years ago, they didn't have to do that that much. Once in a while, guy transferred, but you had to sit or there was no incentive to transfer.
Speaker 11: Financially, it's a whole different world.
Speaker 3: Well, you wouldn't think Ohio State have to worry about that. But here's a report by the website on three that Jeremiah Smith is getting a four and a half million dollar offer. I sure I'd do the same thing if I had the money. I got a sure thing. He's won a national title. You want to get four and a half million dollars. One of these schools, maybe an SEC school, gonna say, hey, come on down, come on down, We'll pay you. All right when we come back, be long awaited most must win game of the weekend.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: W app Man, I'm ready for this.
Speaker 7: Me here we go.
Speaker 14: The six I was a tinyghboy, A don't one, no kinder.
Speaker 3: It's changing, all right, let's go for phone calls. What we learn, what's in store for Monday? My thanks to all of our guests today. I thought Ryan Day was very forthcoming there, and uh, you know that's that's a guy who's won a national title and it's the off season. Clay Matthews stopping by Booger McFarlane and Rick Stroud covering the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. All right, are we gonna write Monday's head headline today? Paulie, I think we have to you gotta do one game, Okay, so you have to write Monday's headline. Friday, we're also going to play the most must win game of the weekend. And yes, we know they're all most must win games of the weekend. They are just some in my opinion, that might be more must must win games, and it might be for players or coaches.
Speaker 11: Yes, there must win because if you lose, you're out of It's true. He checked.
Speaker 2: That is true.
Speaker 11: But are the Commanders a must win game perception wise? No, we just proved there's an opening here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not must win, must show up game. Yes, must be competitive game of the weekend, the Commanders.
Speaker 6: That's new.
Speaker 3: Okay, Todd, I'll start with you the most must win game of the weekend.
Speaker 14: That would be Josh Allen and the Bills. Must win. Time to defron the Chiefs and take that next step of the Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 2: Ain't seed O'Connor.
Speaker 15: The Buffalo Bills shock the Kansas City Chiefs with a thrilling victory, and.
Speaker 2: We're not doing the headline. No, No, it's the most must win game of the week. Yeah.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I'm going to say that the Bills have to be the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: Ok, and that was my headline here, headline, Wow, somebody might steal that one.
Speaker 15: Buffalo Bill shock the Kansas City Chiefs, the thrilling victory and a blockbuster showdown.
Speaker 3: Maria chief Concerns Marvin Most must win game of the week.
Speaker 9: The Philadelphia Eagles. They cannot lose to a division opponent with a rookie quarterback.
Speaker 2: Oh all right, bringing some heat there.
Speaker 11: Paully the Chiefs.
Speaker 13: For Andy Reid, specifically, he can enter an entirely new category, his own category. Three in a row. He will likely not have this chance again. So this is somewhat football immortality's learning with.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say most must win game of the weekend for Patrick Mahomes because if Mahomes, you're gonna do something no one else has ever done. And if you want to get to Brady, you're also going to be lumped into the Michael Jordan category. You three peted, and you three peeted in a sport that's harder to three peat than the NBA is. And I think that's why Mahomes needs to win this game.
Speaker 5: Damn three peat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, Todd.
Speaker 3: It's a great story and it wasn't even a three piece suit you had on.
Speaker 14: Was it was some linen suit and I banged it to this guy at some club and I almost spulled my cranberry juice or whatever on him. Man, he just looked at me with his very attractive girlfriend. He's like, damn three piece, what were you going? I was gonna get my butt kick?
Speaker 2: Damn three piece?
Speaker 11: I thought I was gotta get my butt kicks.
Speaker 14: I think within five minutes after that happen, I'm like, you know what, I have no business being here. I should just go home.
Speaker 3: All right, let's write Monday's headline today, Todd, I'll start with you.
Speaker 14: I'm going with three and a No, Chiefs won't play for three peats set at three in a row. Three and a No.
Speaker 3: Okay, uh see, oh you already gave us your Buffalo bill one.
Speaker 2: I mean I felt like I was pretty strong. No, it was really good.
Speaker 6: No Fuster showdown.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Irvin Monday's headline today, Jaden Rose Fab five lists Commanders to the super Bowl.
Speaker 14: Okay, it was a fritzy stretch, but I've been there. I've been there.
Speaker 11: Paulie, Ooh, that looks like it.
Speaker 13: Earth's Zach takes down the Eagles.
Speaker 11: All right, I'll take that.
Speaker 2: I don't know I got it. I don't know. Yeah, but it's late in the game.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a beer waiting for me.
Speaker 6: I'll take meat.
Speaker 3: Friday, Meet Friday, Great Today. All the recipes available at danpatrick dot com. The twelve to fifteen podcast, The Wrap Up Show with the Brg's, will be available. The gambling podcast from yesterday is available at danpatrick dot com. I don't know what I'm going to do on Saturday because I don't know if there's anything going on on Saturday. Sunday, I know what I'm doing Saturday, I don't know. That might be one of those where I'm I'm up early and I'm like, hun, what are we doing today? What do you need to get done?
Speaker 2: Now? She might not.
Speaker 3: Realize that they are football games on Sunday, not Saturday. But I'm going to get some store credit. I'm gonna be like, yeah, what else do we need to do? You want me to go grocery, shopping, laundry. I'll do all of them.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: A couple of phone calls in here Sebastian in Utah.
Speaker 2: Hey Sebastian, good morning fellows.
Speaker 8: Happy meat Friday.
Speaker 16: I've got two marketing ideas.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 16: First one for Klay Matthews and his gun safety initiative, they need to have dan Orlowsky as a spokesperson, play a little video of him running out the back of.
Speaker 6: The end zone, say we all know what this is, but do we know what this is?
Speaker 2: And he locks up his guns. M Okay.
Speaker 8: Now the next one.
Speaker 16: NBC dropped the ball big time with their commercial where Jason Tatum is asking if they're metal detectors or on the set of the NBC studio because he's carrying around that championship ring. Please please tell me that they called Jahn Morant to do that job first.
Speaker 3: Snarky Dang Sebastian bringing some noise here, Paul and Santa Barbara.
Speaker 7: Hi, Paul, Hey guys, good morning, five to eleven seventy five. Hey, I just want I just wanted to piggyback a little bit off with boogerm Macfartha said, you know, he's right, it's a quarterback league and they're going to protect my homes. But I'm a ramsman. After watching that game, they hit Stafford in the ribs a couple of times and took him out almost.
Speaker 2: They broke his ribs after what I think he broke four ribs.
Speaker 7: So after watching the Chiefs game, both calls were hit near the head. It's so to me it's coaching, you know, treat him like a boxer. Hit him a few times in the ribs and don't give the refs a reason to make those calls. You know, you're just giving them ammunitions. They're going to protect him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they made it easier to make that call. And you know the officials want to get it right. They're always going to air to this side of caution. But don't give them something that's so easy to call.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Paul, you mentioned that hit on Jaden Daniels last week where he's going to the sidelines. I don't think that was flagged and they hit him chest ribs area.
Speaker 3: Well, Lamar, he was going out of bounds and I thought that that was after he had gone out of bounds, and they didn't call that one either. Here's some numbers over under Saquon Barkley rushing yards just according to DraftKings.
Speaker 14: Todd one oh six and a.
Speaker 9: Half, Marvin eighty seven and a half, Seaton seventy seven and a half.
Speaker 11: Paul ninety nine and a half.
Speaker 2: One twenty seven and a half.
Speaker 14: Nah, damn three piece, damn three piece.
Speaker 2: Now they're there.
Speaker 3: They are begging you to take the under here like he'll never get to one twenty seven and a half. He might have that in the first half. Jalen Hurts rushing yards over under Todd.
Speaker 14: Thirty two and a half. That's just crazy.
Speaker 3: Damn three piece over under Josh Allen rushing yards.
Speaker 9: Marvin seventy seven and a half, fifty.
Speaker 2: Three and a half, Todd forty eight and a half. Seaton thirty four and a half, forty nine and a half.
Speaker 14: Right there, Paul, this.
Speaker 2: Day in sports history.
Speaker 11: Hold on, I'm freezing.
Speaker 15: Oh Todd nailed that one though, huh.
Speaker 14: That was one off. On the other line, I could tell you what we learned.
Speaker 13: Here's a nineteen eighty seven Walter Payton and Joe Montana were the co host on Saturday Live.
Speaker 11: Oh that best TV of all time?
Speaker 7: Todd?
Speaker 2: Would you learn today?
Speaker 1: Swayne Matthews didn't appreciate acts iident being left off the Hall of Fame nominees list by the Packers.
Speaker 14: They'll correct that next season.
Speaker 2: Seaton by Matthew's kid, No Ponytail, Marvin Fritzy Stole, Paul Hey looks young. What did I learn?
Speaker 5: Todd?
Speaker 14: There should be a way to earn points to join Tyler's clubs. We can get a taste of that food before the last.
Speaker 3: Tire rack dot com Official Tire Expert of the DP show. Go to tire rack dot com SAE stand Try the Tire Decision Guide, see the full lineup of Firestone tires, special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation. Tire rec dot Com the way tire buying should be. Have a great weekend, a safe weekend. We look forward to talking with you on Monday. Until then, take care,