Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: What up with you? Good morning to you, Doug Gottlin, Dan Byer, I got Stewart and for dand of the Dnets stand Batch the show Fox Sports Radio on New Year's Eve Day. That is a mouthful plus you know, uh, I love that game, Dan Bier. I can't wait to play that game. In terms of naming every champion and every award winner from everything in twenty four. We'll get back to that at the at the end of the hour. But we have Round two of the college football Playoffs getting underway tonight again, same time, same same idea as last time. Round one game today and then three tomorrow. I think this is the perfect bowl game, Fiesta Bowl game. Now look full disclosure, it's ridiculous that boy he gotta buy. Equally ridiculous that Arizona State wins the Big Twelve and they're not playing in Glendale. And as much you can say, well, that would be a that would be an unfair home field advantage. Like Okay, so neither Arizona State nor Boise State deserved to be a top four seed. But if they're going to be a top four seed and the difference is all that slight. Shouldn't you want to sell tickets? And if you sold tickets and I just saw online that tickets for Arizona State's game in but in Georgia are going for pennies on the dollar. So congratulations on screwing something up. That was pretty easy right there in front of you. But regardless of it, Dan, can I make the pitch to you of why I think this is the perfect game?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd love to hear it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So basically for the last I don't know, twenty five years or so, And obviously it got worse once we got the college football Playoff, the four team playoff. But remember we'd always have these bowl games. We had a whole Hawaii taking on who'd they get pummeled by in the Sugar Bowl? Is that Alabama?
Speaker 3: Georgia?
Speaker 2: Georgia? And the sugar planguage just bad?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: But also you had Boise take down Oklahoma in this in the Fiesta Bowl. That was the hook and ladder play, right. You had the Statue of Liberty. You had Chris Myers going Okay, now you're gonna ask your girlfriend to marry you? Like, dude, what are you doing anyway, like arguably one of the most famous upsets, and you'd always get from the side of the SEC, the side of the Big twelve, the side of the Big Ten, like, hey, it doesn't matter, come on, man, Like that's a bowl game. We get a swag bag, we had to ride roller coasters and have big dinner, and freshmen get to a more chance to work out, Like it's never really mattered to us, right, and there was no real payoff other than to say, hey, we won that bowl game, which is sort of bragging rights. But like you know, the SEC especially has had that like we love what you know, bowl games only matter when we win them. Well, now, the Big ten, who, let's just be honest, over the last twenty five years outside of Ohio State been pathetic in bowl games. Is that is that fair? Dan?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, right, Big ten. Considering the historic nature and success of Big ten programs generally, again I'm saying this is more generalization. Generally, the Big Ten has been pathetic in.
Speaker 3: Bold It's funny because there's a Big Ten guy I don't even know. I just went along with it, so I honestly I have no idea, but.
Speaker 2: Sure, okay, it's not an every year thing. I would say more often than not, regardless of KAY and the Big Ten is never has usually not been the conference like that doesn't matter to us, right, but the SEC has been it doesn't These games don't matter. Well, this one matters, Okay. You have that same Cinderella type story in Boise State, granted dramatically overseated, and they get the benefit of not having to play last weekend so they're fresh, they'rearrested. This is the best that boy is going to have. And proximity wise, you know, you get on a Southwest flight or what's that other airline that you can actually go into Masa with, But Masa's on the other side of the earth from Glendale anyway. Point is, they'll have a great crowd, a great chance to win against big bad Penn State, and Penn State cannot say it doesn't matter to us, because this is all that matters. So you have the you know in basketball, you'd have the bracketbuster, the high major versus the mid major. You finally actually have that in college football for a chance to go to the Fountal four. I think it's kind of sweet that as much as they screwed up a lot of it. And again, like I even think Penn State's kind of overseated, and and we're making a bigger thing about Penn State, Who's Okay, they're not great, but you get a chance for the real everyone who went to a school that's not a power for school, anyone who's ever felt slighted felt like they belonged. And even Heck Mile muttered Oklahoma State where you know, you go back to the brand Whedon team that won was that the twenty twelve I think Fiesta Bowl right there was that they couldn't get into the national championship game and lose to an Iowa State on a missfield goal. Right, even those ones like the overlooked non name brand teams now are gonna be rooting for Boise And you got the Big Ten and Penn State and all their tradition coming in. And you know, of course, we know James Franklin always takes you know, catching strays for not beating ranked teams. It's kind of a no win for James Franklin. They win, they're supposed to be Boise State. They lose. While it's going to be ugly in state college, I think it's like the perfect game, perfect game on a New Year's Eve.
Speaker 3: I and I can completely accept that. And I just wonder if there is a bit of a letdown from what we had in the first opening games because you mentioned the ticket prices, and by the by the way, the Big Twelve was supposed to go to the Fiesta Bowl. But what happened is that Boise State just ended up again the fruits of being higher in the rankings. Because they ended up being higher, they got placed in the Fiesta Bowl in that closer region, which put Arizona State. But I think the Big Twelve was under the assumption that if it was BYU, if it was Colorado, if it was Arizona State, that they likely would have gotten to play in the Fiesta Bowl. But that's why they ended up in the Peach Bowl, because Boise State was higher. But to your point, Doug, I look at the basketball tournament, the final fours, the sweet sixteens, and what do we love. We love a little bit of Cinderella and then we want it good at the end, and we'll probably get that in this college football playoff. But the question is is how much do we want do we want Boise State to win this game? Do we want Boise State to go and play Georgia or Notre Dame in the semi final. I'm not sure. I can't even tell you right now, as crazy as it sounds. And that's why I think after these games, despite the first ones being blowouts, there was something new, there was something unique about it. And yeah, whether it's Alabama or LSU or you know, SMU, excuse me, I'm not worried about it. But I don't know where that medium, that happy medium is that we've kind of figured out in the men's you know, NCAA tournament, and I think it's going to take a little time. This one off tonight could be a great way to start it, and then it leads into the to the Arizona State Texas game tomorrow. But yeah, I don't have a read. I don't know if I would feel differently if it was, say, you know, Penn State against Alabama, as crazy as that sounds, because of what we have with Oregon and Ohio State and Notre Dame in Georgia, I don't know if we need Alabama, but I can see where you're coming from. I just want to find that happy medium that I don't know where it's at because this is so new.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd say this. I think if Boise were to win tonight, if Boys were to win tonight, I think next week is the perfect example of why all of us know Boise can't win this thing. They just can't. Just the attrition of playing a big boy and then you play a real big boy next week, you just you get so beat up and so worn down you do. I think what's the other interesting element to it is, again it's not as much this week as it is for the next game. Is like once these teams that have had to play the extra game, like that's Notre Dame loses with their best defensive linemen, Like you're gonna lose a guy in every game. Now. The difference in the Georgia's, to a lesser extent, Notre Dame, but the Super the Ohio States of the world is they do have a depth of talent that the other schools don't. Just that's what the money does. For people who haven't listened to The Doug Gottlieb Show. It airs every afternoon three to five Eastern twelve two Pacific. Dan Buyer alongside and Jason Stewart. We're in for Dan and the Dan Nets today. This is you're seeing it in college basketball, and I think the truth is it's really right there in college football. I know it's hard for you to conceptualize how could Alabama lose to Vandy, lose to Oklahoma? Just the attrition of playing the best competition week in week out is completely different. It's just it's a different sport and they're dealing with a different salary cap. Even Indiana, who I didn't think belonged in the field and got thoroughly undressed, the fact is that Indiana did spend a ton of money. Like you don't always get a championship team when you put a bunch of money together for these college Rostersay, but more often than not you do. And it's just a depth of athletes at those schools because they have substantially more money, you know. I mean, that's really really it. I mean, I'm just I'm not I'm not complaining about my situation. I took a job late knowing okay, all of the pitfalls, but I was just, you know, before we started the show, I mean when my assistant's office, like man could have had that. There's a dude who we were recruiting. It was late, he was available, we didn't get and my sistans like, why didn't we get him? And I was like, we didn't have the cheddar. It was just too much money for us. Just was like, that's the reality to it. And yeah, they're better, they got more money. They're supposed to be better, you know. So I'm not an SEC alumn, I'm not an SEC wonk, but I also know how this deal works, and I think it's going to get worse before it gets better in terms of the disparity between the SEC and to a little slightly lesser extent, the Big ten and everybody else because they just make more money. They have more money. And again, now next year you can bring it in house, you know, and pay and have the players under an nil contract from the university. And those universities have more money. They don't just make money on that. Everybody says the TV deal. TV deal is great, but that makes sure all the lights are on, all the pretty things or whatever. They can make one hundred and fifty million dollars a year off of their stadiums. They have bigger stadiums that are always filled and they and then then you get into all the other stuff. So they it's just the idea that you're really you're going to be competitive three weeks a row with teams that have, you know, five to ten to twenty x. The spending of what you have is it's really kind of silly when you think about it. Now, in a one game scenario, can you pull it off? Yeah, boys, you can beat Penn State, But can they beat Penn State and then beat Georgia and then beat somebody else. No.
Speaker 3: To Brett McMurphy's report yesterday from the Action that works in that the committee is going to look at the bracket and possibly change the conference winners getting the automatic bids like Boise State did and Arizona State did that you would still go with the rankings at least at some point to give your top four buys. You would give them the automatic bid to the tournament, but they wouldn't get the buy, which could change as soon as next year if everyone's on board, and I'm curious on why the Big twelve or the Mountain West would want to be on board with this. But again at the SEC and the Big ten are playing hardball for future agreements that could possibly change. But I think that Boise State actually has a different field, Dug. And this is why it's difficult. And I don't know if Boise State would have won in the quarterfinals or excuse me, one in the first round and now is on a streak going into this Bowl game. Here, it almost seems like the cinderella run into the semi final is just too far when you get down to the final four, and I wonder if it would have been more fulfilling to see to see that sort of advancement by a Boise State team, you know what I mean, like to have them win a first round game, they become then the story where right now they haven't even played a game, and there isn't even the feel for Cinderella, and it's almost difficult to find them as a Cinderella considering that they are going to be the higher seeded team and wearing the home uniforms today against Penn State. So it's it's just it's very very odd, and I feel that the role of the Cinderella would likely be fit better if that new format was put in in Boise State ended up winning a first round game to.
Speaker 2: Dam Patrick show Fox Sports treaties Dan Byrum Doug Gottlieb. Let's let's get a little as we recap twenty twenty four. On New Year's Eve Day, we play little they say what? They said? What?
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, they said what? Doug.
Speaker 4: I just I found a gift for our listeners. I wasn't able to afford buying gifts for all our listeners, so but I wanted to give them the gift of sound. And I think this might be my favorite. This might be the best piece of sound from the year twenty twenty four. Was it twenty twenty four?
Speaker 3: It's two ten thousand, Yeah, only eighteen thousand years off.
Speaker 4: Andrew Reese wanted to kind of sum up the impact that her and Caitlin Clark had on the world of women's college basketball. And this is a real gym.
Speaker 5: It all started from the National Championship game. And I've been dealing with this for two years now and understanding, like, yeah, negative things have probably been said about me, but honestly, I'll take that because look where women's basketball is. People are talking about women's basketball. You've never would think that we talk about women's basketball. People are pulling up to games, We got celebrities coming to games. Aughterina is like just because of one single game and just looking at that like, I'll take that role. I'll take the bad guy role, and I'll continue to take that on and be that for that for my teammates and if I want to be that, and I know I'll go down to history. I'll look back in twenty years and be like, Yeah, the reason why we watch O women's basketball is not just because of one person.
Speaker 1: It's because of me too.
Speaker 5: And I want you to.
Speaker 2: Hey, I was in that game too. People don't like me, That's why they watch.
Speaker 3: What's so great is the whole WNBA was was like trying to go against Caitlyn Clark, and there's this whole ground swell of look at what Look at what Asia Wilson has done.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, look and why are we not talking more about Asia Wilson?
Speaker 3: Yeah, look at look at the other you know, Maya Moore, all these other players at Leasta Leslie, all that they've done for the you know, for the W and Cheryl Swoops and Cynthia Cooper, all these great players which I think that we do recognize yet hear Angel Reese is like, yeah, it's none of them, It's none of them. You want to give it to Kaitlyn Clark, but it's also me, oh, just magnificent, magnificent sound like.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you guys watched the I watched all the Christmas Day games, and there was one thing that was was interesting was even though it was the NBA, we saw like State Farm replaced Chris Paul with I don't know who the WNBA player was the game was on. I was working in my office at the time, and many of the WNBA stars. Asia Wilson now is in a Nike Nike AD, sure, right, a Nike AD And just it's one of those things where like at some point you have to you have to realize the league did exist for twenty five years and no one in the mainstream paid attention until Kitlyn Clark came around. I don't know why that's a bad thing, Why people can't accept it, why people can't realize it that you know you fall in love with, Like Taylor Swift is not the world's greatest singer. You know the world's greatest songwriter, right anyone? I'm not anyone would tell you that that Bob Dylan is fifteen times whatever she's ever been. But she's a billionaire and she can only bring positive attention to females in music. And the more you fight it, the more you look like an idiot. Well, same thing here with Caitlyn Clerk, you know, like she's a thing, she's made, she's made to where the couple of things that that angel Re said are accurate, Like I've been doing this job for over twenty years, Okay, outside of the Imus deal with Rutgers, Like, we never talked about women's basketball ever, and it wasn't because we hate it or don't like it, it's just nobody cared. Nobody cared, and we talked about it more this year in twenty four and then we talked probably about baseball, which had a fifty to fifty guy and now two seven hundred million dollar contracts and the Dodgers beat the Yankees. Definitely, we didn't utter a word about hockey. Then do they still play hockey?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: So she's right, but the hey it's me, I'm hey me either reason.
Speaker 5: Like history, I'll look back at twenty years and be like, yeah, the reason why we watch that women's basketball is not just because of one person, it's because of me too.
Speaker 3: And I went that was more a slap in the face to any current or former w NBA player than anything. Caitlyn Clark did that comment there like no, it was it was also it was it was me. It wasn't to you guys. Caitlyn Clark at least is given credit to the to those of the past.
Speaker 4: That one she told on herself and spent over backwards almost pandering to no.
Speaker 2: Now she she's gotten to have to had to pander. She's it sucks, she's had to pander.
Speaker 4: It's not just one person, it's two.
Speaker 2: It's not just it's not just one person. It's me. Let's let's look about me and more about me. That's that's more about me. Most cars on the road could use the little TLC at makeout. We bring your car back to life with affordable paint jobs and collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get mako. I'm Doug Gottlieb. He's Dan Bayer in for Dan Danettes coming up next to the Dan Patrick Show. What are the people in the league saying about the Chiefs and whether or not they put their best foot forward against the Broncos.
Speaker 1: This weekend, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio App.
Speaker 6: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio App. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right. So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: That got the dand Byern for Dan Dan ed Stan Patrick show, Fox Sports Radio. Happy New Year too, I'd be happy New Year New Year's though, Dan Byer, Dan Byer. By the way, for people don't know, I'll just kind of give you the quick rundown if you haven't, I want your flex as the podcast for fantasy which really helped me, did put me in position to win my fantasy league. Then Jalen Hurts went down with a concussion and uh and that that trickled down. I lost by a couple points that one. But not for Dan's podcast, I would not have been u in second place in the league in the regular season. So thank you Dan for that. Wisconsin born bred butt, huge Ohio State football finn and Seattle Seahawks fan and oh yeah, by the way, he also is our resident uniform ficionado and judge and jury as to whether or not a uniform idea or plan is a good one. And and he's his favorite game show is Price Is Right? Did I Dan nail? Did I miss on any of those?
Speaker 3: That's a that's a good synopsis. I don't know if that's all of who I am.
Speaker 2: No, there's a lot more, you know, father, husband, Avid Golfer, there's a lot of other things. I get to the prices right thing, because I do think that New Year's is the only holiday that violates the core tenants of the price is right. Like I say this all the time, Like by the last couple of days, I've seen people, I'm like, hey, merry Christmas, and they look at you like you have two heads. Like Christmas is just a couple of days ago. It's okay. But people look at holidays for the most part and it's prices right. Rules. You can't go over. Once you go over, it's over, except for New Year's because New Year's you can kind of go like, hey, happy New Year. You get a couple of extra days before you then then you seem weird. Once you get to like January sixth, you're like, yeah, I get it, like we did the New Year's thing. Anyway, Happy New Year to you, even before it's actually New Year's it's New Year's Eve Day morning. That's a mouthful. Charles Robinson joins us from Yahoo Sports. Okay, so I'm gonna play for you, what Dan Campbell said after the game as to his logic in playing his starters, and then I want your thoughts, Charles. Here, here's Dan Campbell after the win last night.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was on my mind, you know. I mean I thought a lot about it, you know, I thought about it leading up to the game. I thought about it last night. I told the staff. But I ended up settling on the right thing to do was play these guys, and because we owed it to the team, you know, and it was just one of those those positions we were in. It's just hard to say who you're gonna sit. And it's not fair to ask guys to play that haven't been prepared to play, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Charles, your thoughts.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, look, I they took risk, they got through it. There's some luck involved that nobody got hurt. I mean, at one point last night, you watch a Monaa Saint Brown like kind of tweak his foot and he's hopping. You're thinking, oh God, here we go. You know, Penny Steel, I think at one point hurt his hand, you know, goes in the locker room a few seconds early at halftime. So you know, you can definitely nitpick the logic. The reality is they got out of it healthy. I do see some of the in terms of preparing the starters to play this game and then sticking a hend and Hooker in there when he's got no starting snaps for this, where it's you know, he's been running scout team. He was not prepping for this or the game plan itself. Is there some danger to that? Yeah, absolutely, there's no question about it. But you know, I I think if they were being completely honest, and I think Dan touched on this a little bit, I think there's some score settling. I think they wanted to beat San Francisco.
Speaker 2: I don't doubt it. But what what do you what like? That's just all ego like why it does nothing for you? The only thing it does is it runs the risk of somebody getting hurt for the game that matters, and then if you win the game, that you win.
Speaker 8: Honestly, Doug, I don't, Doug, I don't want to do that. I don't want to do this whole thing, make this a big thing. Afterward, it's over like they made it there. It doesn't matter. Like you're you're you're you're dressing forty five for the game regardless, right, I mean, you're gonna play forty five, So pick the guys. Pick the guys who you're not gonna play. So you're gonna you're gonna say, okay, here's here's the inactive. We have a limited number of inactive. And then on top of that, we gotta pluck what another ten who were not gonna play? Okay, so you're gonna get through the game with thirty five game guys, you're gonna get through the game thirty five guys? What offensive lineman are you picking? And how can those offensive linemen do a job when they're now standing next to other backups? A backup quarterback, maybe a backup running back. Oh geez, you know Tim Patrick? Now is your number one? Like, what are you doing here?
Speaker 2: Okay, but let me tell them matter but Charles, let me it's the micro for the macro, right, and just just full disclosure. So I got to do one sideline game for Fox for for Big Fox for TV, right, and it was Dolphins Bears.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: It was when actually when Tannehill got hurt at at practice when we were there and we were allowed to report it, right, that was became kind of the trickle down to what happened with the end of his run with the Dolphins. Anyway, point was when I was in the Dolphins offices on a Friday, when you get to we get to spend the whole day at the facility. To a person that was in the front office, they all said like, man, you know who we really missed, Dan Campbell. Hey, so I love Dan Campbell, but this is clearly who he is. You go to when they've gone for it and they haven't had to and they have or haven't gotten it. You go back to the last year's game against the Niners when they went for it and they clearly shouldn't have instead of just take the points and play it smart and win the game like that. This is again, I understand, it's who he is. But there's nobody going like, hey, coach, this is not the right thing or this is not the right plan. He's an always go for it guy, and ultimately it's why they didn't go to the super Bowl last year and it's why they probably won't go to the super Bowl this year.
Speaker 8: It's an opinion. I mean, look, I can't argue against the mentality of what he is. He's shown that He's been consistent, he has not wavered and in the past obviously come back to bite him. I was at that NFC Championship game last year. I watched it happen, you know, And there have been times this year where he's gone for it, unforced down, he's regretted it. He continues to stay consistent with what he does. I my thing is, I'll have that conversation with him after it bites him in the butt, like it I do see. I don't think this is just as simple as saying, well, well, jeez, he just went for it because that's who he is and he just likes to risk it. And I'm sorry, but I do think there is logic there. When you sit there and you just play the numbers game, you go, realistically, how are they going to get through this game? If they just go, well, we're going to sit fifteen guys, or if we're just going to pick ten guys and sit those ten guys, You're going to run into a numbers problem at some point. And you know, when it comes from a preparation standpoint, I get it. I get not wanting to stick hen and Hooker out there when you have not prepared him for this situation and suddenly it pops up and you just what You go to Hendon and go, hey, yeah, we know you haven't been taking starting snaps this week. We know we haven't. You know, the game plan is completely prepared for Jared Goff, who, by the way, is a completely different player than you. You're not the same player. You're not a rhythm passer, you're not a pure pocket guy. You're not this, you're not that. But we're going to stick in there now. I'm basically a day's notice because this happened with Minnesota, and you know, it just is what it is, and we don't want to We don't want to risk you know, Jared Goff and a number of other players like you can argue it either way. I mean, I do think the numbers back up, you know, some of the thought process and the preparation backs up some of the thought process. So it wasn't just a pure Dan Campbell's just going to go for it, you know. Damn the Torpedoes kind of situation.
Speaker 3: Do they have to score forty points in the playoffs to win games?
Speaker 8: They might? They might. I mean that defense is atrocious. I just don't the second half's great. You know, they played better Kirby Joseph Obviously a couple of interceptions, but that defense is what it is now you look at them, They're probably going to have to turn the ball over to create opportunities. They're going to have problems with high octane offenses. I think Minnesota, look Minnesota clicking right now. There as healthy as any team in the NFC. I would not be shocked to Minnesota drop forty on Detroit if it's a you know, a forty or fifty point game where it's like Minnesota, it's like, you know, fifty two to you know, forty five by the time that game's over. I mean, Minnesota is just scary right now. But maybe the one thing that the Vikings can't do effectively because they don't have to, is just absolutely rely on running the football. But they're protecting Sam Donald. Least they did this week. That offensive line looks like it's playing a little bit better. Brian flores Is. Look at the very least the defense throws a lot at you. Jared Goff can handle that, but I still think defensively, that first half is just so frightening for me from a Detroit standpoint, they can't get a pass rush consistently. The back end of the defense, there's gaping holes all over the place. And you know Minnesota's top three between Addison, Jefferson and Hawkinson and then now Jalen Sailors factoring in huge X factor for them at the number four receiving spot, They're going to be able to roll up points. And I will say this, I would be shocked if it's not even money going into that game. I'd love to see ultimately what the line ends up being as we get closer to that game.
Speaker 2: Did Brock parties injury? Was that just what the Niners needed to buy another season under the current deal?
Speaker 8: It's a good excuse. I mean it's I already think they were leaning toward being conservative with it, and I think ultimately what's going to happen is what they were looking at a month ago, is let's see when we go into the offseason, Let's see exactly what the numbers at. Where are we right now with the commitment? How much money is this going to cost us? And if the risk versus the reward out you know, outweighs it looks if Brock pretty asked for anything less than the highest paid contract in football. That would be a shock only because that's how agents top ten quarterbacks operate. Now, we send you the top of the heat, particularly when you're young and it's your first quarterback. Look at all the quarterbacks that signed extensions last off season, and by the way, brock Purty has a better resume than most of them when you consider the number of games he's won, the fact that he's gone to a conference title game and the Super Bowl, the fact that he didn't bomb in the super Bowl. They didn't lose that Super Bowl because of brock Purty. You can't sit there and go, oh, well, we were willing to do this for Jordan Love, but we're not willing to do that for brock Purty when they move Jordan Love to the top of the heap. So you know, look, they have reasons to be conservative because of how brock Purdy has played when the functionality around him has not been perfect this season. The look the injury, it sounds like Kal said, do you think it's nerve related? It almost reminds me like a stinger. You see guys who get a stinger in their arm and the arm just goes dead, and you know they sound far less concerned this morning than they were, at least in the immediacy of the game, but raises the specter again of you know, at times, the fragility and the fact that he already has had his throwing arm repair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the old Colt McCoy in the National Championship Game injury where you had that the dead arm against against Alabama. Yeah, uh, Barklay. Does does he play this weekend?
Speaker 8: Yeah, they'll play him. I mean I think they'll play him only because the offensive line is demanding it at this point. You know, we'll see how Sirianni wants to play it. I think they'll be careful about it. But the bottom line is the five guys in front of him, they want him to get that record, maybe more than anybody else on the team other than Saquon. And it's going to be hard for Nick Sirianni to say, no, no, I'm not gonna listen to you.
Speaker 2: I mean, that.
Speaker 8: Offensive line is I would argue the heartbeat of that team, regardless of of you know, Jalen Hurts and Saquon and everybody knows that the tempo gets set by those guys, and I think the rushing tide was really important to them. They just have to figure out a way to, you know, talk to these guys, say Okay, if it's going to be the goal, here's how we're going to game plan this. And then as soon as we reach this threshold, we're going to be pulling guys out. This isn't going to be something that is sustained into the fourth quarter. So I would guess, as you would think, it's a very run heavy offense. Early on, they try to get it as early as they can, and if they can get it nailed down by halftime, they pull all those guys.
Speaker 2: Charles, Charles, we appreciate you joining us. Man, listen, have a happy new year. For people who don't know. Okay, you can go check out all Charles's work at Yahoo Sports. Your senior NFL reporter does outstanding, out standing job. Charles, thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 8: Appreciate you guys. Have a happy new year.
Speaker 2: They said, what.
Speaker 8: Hould up?
Speaker 4: They said, what if you guys? Go back to mid May, Doug Gottlie was introduced as the head basketball coach at University of Wisconsin Green Bay, and he said this.
Speaker 2: I've been on the microphone. I've been on the court. I've been on the sideline. I coached in something called the Maccabi Games. It's like the Jewish Olympics, and I won two gold medals as a player, but I won two gold medals as a coach, and it was better. It's a lot better because watching them have joy, watching them build friendships for life, watching them learn how to play with each other and against the opponent and figuring it out and helping them figuring out and being that guide as a coach is incredibly fulfilling. That's what fills up my cup. That's pretty good. It's pretty good. Who's that game? Oh? Yeah? How many's the games? You want? Not enough? Yeah? That was honestly, it's it's one of those I want to we'll circle back to it. It's because because the deeper stuff I want to get to. A friend of mine passed away last night, Mike who he and his twin brother visited Notre Dame when I was there. It's forty eight years old. Head coach and I think North North Attleborough High School in Massachusetts. And so like those things kind of resonate to you where you realize as hard as this job is, and you know when you're a national media member, and people want to you know, you lose, and people want to just shoot arrows at you. They don't actually care about your situation or whatever. You do realize that it was absolutely positively the right decision to go all in on it, because you know, again, friend of mine forty years old, passed away last night, like they could tomorrow is not promised. Ta could take advantage of any opportunity today. Anyway. Oh, it's a lot, it's been a lot. We got to get We'll talk some more about each of our own twenty twenty fours as we kind of resonate. Coming up next, let's get back into Dan Bayer's game of naming everything that everybody who won this past year. We'll see where we are, We'll see what's left that's next to The Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Good morning to you, Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio iHeart Radio App. Welcome in. As the year comes to a close, we want to you know, we want you to remember twenty twenty four in our own kind of unique way. And so what Dan Byer came up with was I think it's great, which is just like, hey, off the top of your head, do you remember who won every championship this year and who won every award this year? So when we last joined our superhero friends, Dan, where were we?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, I was trying to ask Charles Robinson a question, but you were like, Doug, you were on one. Sorry, Like I mean, I mean, geez, we want to throttle back a little bit. I had some commanders questions Green Bay, and even Charles is like, I don't want to get into this with you.
Speaker 2: Doug Man, Oh, he was like it checked up, He's right, is over. I'm all jacked up a mountain dew coming at just coming at you. Skip.
Speaker 4: Doug gets into the solo host mode every once in a while.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, where were we with seal the championship?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So I put this out on social media. We kind of have this in three phases. He did pretty well in the first part, still looking for that fourth final four team from the women's Final four, and we never got to the Stanley Cup. Champion of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Was the Mississippi State the other women's.
Speaker 3: No, it was not. It was not Mississippi State. But also looking for the Stanley Cup champion. If Jason Stewart or Mark Rams you want to get on this, you can also on social media.
Speaker 2: That was a Florida was a Florida team. It was a Florida team. Panthers. I'm gonna go Panthers.
Speaker 3: Okay, it is panty Florida Panthers beating the Edmonton Oilers. So the first part of the game is pretty much wrapped up, but still again looking for the fourth final four team outside of Yukon, Iowa and national champion South Carolina. How about this in the world of golf, tennis, and soccer, who won the Masters this past year?
Speaker 2: Who were Scheffler?
Speaker 3: It was Scottie Scheffler. Absolutely good job with that one. What about the PGA Championship.
Speaker 2: With Scotty Scheffler, It was not him.
Speaker 3: He did get her detained arrested.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, he won in jail. He won in jail.
Speaker 3: Best golfer in the Louisville Jail. PGA Championship wasn't Louisville, Kentucky. You guys have an idea who won that? It doesn't sound like it. What about the US Open at Pinehurst, Scottie Schffler, It was not Scottie Scheffler.
Speaker 2: It just seemed like he went everywhere.
Speaker 4: Did Rayson Murray?
Speaker 3: No? No, he unfortunately passed away.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I just.
Speaker 2: Way to go there and.
Speaker 4: There they're actually doing a memorial. So I'm glad.
Speaker 3: I yeah, yeah, I'm going to.
Speaker 4: Edit that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we clean that up, all right.
Speaker 3: You don't know the US Open champion.
Speaker 2: All the time. Let me let me me.
Speaker 3: Just let me search and google.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I need to do.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: Can I do the MLS?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: Hold on?
Speaker 4: Did the Galaxy not win.
Speaker 3: The lly Galaxy did win the m LS? Yes, they topped the New York Red Bulls two to one in the MLS Cup.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I know Xander Schoffley won something in bryceon Deschambeau one one, and I don't know who.
Speaker 3: That is a clear cheating? Uh that is?
Speaker 4: Can I shout out Nellie Korda.
Speaker 3: Oh, you can shout out Nelly Corda. Absolutely. We didn't put any LPGA Tour, no Women's Open, the US Open didn't put that on this one unfortunately.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, I mean them along with every w NBA star is.
Speaker 3: Why how do you guys, how do you guys feel about the tennis Grand Slam events that we had with the Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and US Open. Wow, you want to take Alcatraz.
Speaker 4: That's not his net right right now?
Speaker 2: Novak Djokovic won one, alcz Alcoraz did win one.
Speaker 3: Or two, and we're also looking for the Premier League champion from last season and the UEFA Champions League champion. Any I mean, by the way, Djokovic did not win any in twenty No, he did not, he did not. You are very warm with Carlos Alcaraz if that's where I remember.
Speaker 2: Alcarez had to win. He Spaniards, so he had to win the French Open.
Speaker 3: That is correct. Carlosz did win the French Open.
Speaker 2: Just after that, I got nothing.
Speaker 3: Well, this is Jason's joke for the entire summer.
Speaker 4: Well, I usually say that his opponent was unable to escape from Alcarez. Chaz, Yes, escape from Alcaraz.
Speaker 2: And Robert Flores, who's now at MLB Network, used to say this Novak after Djokovic, right that was. That was his lune solid solid line.
Speaker 4: I can't even think of the women champions for any of these events.
Speaker 3: Well, we don't need women's champions, Kayln Clark.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank goodness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just then the.
Speaker 2: Man mark I keep saying, Kaylen Clark, to make every female athlete somehow mad.
Speaker 3: The men's Australian Open friendship. All right, you guys are you're out of luck?
Speaker 2: Now? This is really yeah?
Speaker 3: Well Carlogelker has one more than one Grand Slam event.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he won the Australian Open.
Speaker 3: He did not? He won the Yes he did. There it is Carlos Alkarez off the board with Wimbledon. The same guy who won the Australian Open also won the US Open. By the way, Wow, yes we had two Open champs. That is correct.
Speaker 2: I it's somebody who I don't know, and I think they're probably really highly ranked. And I still don't know who it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe we can get some help. You can find me at dan byern Fox or I'm Blue Sky at dan byern As. I am here as well, Dan.
Speaker 2: Did you do you know? Did you know before you looked it up? No?
Speaker 3: I had to be reminded. I know the name, but I had to be reminded.
Speaker 2: I have no idea the name. I just know somebody that I've never heard of.
Speaker 3: All Right, we'll see if round three is any easier next time.
Speaker 2: Did the Lions get ultimate revenge last night? Let's discuss that next to the Dan Patricks JO Fox Sports Radio