Speaker 1: I got that.
Speaker 2: I love dude, a guy I love catch it up with anytime we have a chance to.
Speaker 1: He's a nice felma.
Speaker 3: He's got over fifty million followers, super successful entrepreneur and friend.
Speaker 1: Let's welcome back, Gary Vaynard chew boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're one of those guys that like high school pals, people like you know, Gary Vee. It's hilarious. You're reached to so many different groups of people. It's so weird.
Speaker 4: I literally, as we just sat down here, said to myself, I can't believe you just used that word. I literally said to myself, I feel like I went to high school with these guys. Like every time I'm here at so cozy. First of all, that's very flattery. I think it's because and it is really weird when I'm in the airport with somebody for the first time. In my companies, they're always weirded out by how completely left field the people that come up to me. It's like a seventy two year old grandma Asian grandma come up and then like an eighteen year old like guy, you know, like it's it's I think it's because I talk about very simple stuff. At the end of the day, which is like human right, yeah, you know yeah, it's and I think that that means it's going to catch a broad market.
Speaker 1: Gary Ve hanging out you all right, Rich? I feel you get an.
Speaker 3: Emotional Get emotional. We're talking about humanity, you know what, Gary. I grew up going to crazy eddies, buying cassettes and things like that price Price were insane.
Speaker 1: I remember buying Twisted Sister.
Speaker 3: The album was Stay Hungry, Bro, And I say that Captain Howdy, Captain had.
Speaker 1: Give me something for that pull. Give me something for that pull.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 1: I love Captain Howdy. We're we're not. Do you understand how old are you? Forty eight?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 4: I'm forty nine.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 4: Can we explain to the kids that are listening that Twisted Sister summer when MTV was just becoming MTV, like we're not gonna take it?
Speaker 1: Everything was life. I want to life, but.
Speaker 3: I stayed away with life, but I stayed hungry too. Right, How do you stay hungry which you have? How do you stay humble while doing it?
Speaker 4: Honestly? Good parenting? The answer to my question is I was parented well, and I got fortunate that I was. I actually I'm glad I'm getting to say this. I believe the best thing that could ever happen to you is you're born into a family that does not have much financially but has a deep happiness and love in the home. Because I think what happens to you in those first five to seven years as a human being is you're consciously and subconsciously learning that money has no impact on happiness. I am the byproduct of that. Right, we have nothing. We were immigrants from the Soviet Union. I lived in a studio apartment in Rigo Park, Queen's with six other people in a studio. You know, that was my starting point of my memories.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: So I think that I'm hungry because I wasn't fed, right, Yeah, right, I was. I'm hungry because I wasn't fed. And I'm humble because I'm as well parented. I was taught that, you know, you treat people well. And all the nice things that have happened to me making money and having lots of followers, it hasn't It hasn't changed me. It's exposed who I am. And I think money and fame expose you, they don't change you.
Speaker 3: Because how many people have you seen their star rise, their income rise, and they sort of change and they feel themselves a little bit and and I feel.
Speaker 4: They're exposing themselves. I feel like that's who they were, that's who they are, and then vice versa. I feel like there's a lot of people. Actually it's so weird. I know Joe pretty well. Joe Burrow's going on some show right now over there. Right, yeah, I've known. I recruited him for Vayner Sports before he transferred to LSU. Right, He's the same exact human being right now, you can tell me that's why's why people love him. And I think that's the punchline. I could not recommend more to people who are on a journey of getting bigger if they feel like they're getting successful, that if you're not, you should go into therapy, you should work on something, you should fix it, because what's gonna happen is you're gonna expose yourself to the world and they're gonna smell it and they're gonna figure it out pretty quickly of who you are.
Speaker 2: Gary, I have two little kids and now I'm in the coaching world, and I wanted to ask you, I mean, how do you approach giving these kids confidence, not being too tough, yet being tough because I think about what you said. There are times, even outside of coaching kids going to a theme park, not trying to spoil your kids, but wanting to give them crap.
Speaker 1: I never know how to handle all this stuff.
Speaker 4: Every single parent on Earth makes mistakes. We're all just trying. Yeah, you know, heck, I mean I My son is weirdly good at basketball. You know, he's a twelve year old. He's a sixth graders. He made the seventh and eighth grade team, which was already like a oh my god. Now three games he's the starting point guard. And by the way, he's half the size of every sixth grader on Earth. He's the size of a third grader. He's in the seventh day eighth grade league, and he's cooking these kids. And honestly, last game, I'm gonna put him on blast. Last game, he's dominating the game. By the way, all these kids were so affected by Steph Curdy. The reason he's dominating is his handle's crazy. Oh yeah, some of these kids, yeah crazy. Anyway, he's dominating the game. His heel starts to bother him and he sits for the third and the majority fourth quarter. They're up twenty with him in, they're up two with two minutes left with him out, and I'm like looking at him, and I'm like, get you can't curse on this shit.
Speaker 1: This is bonus podcast. We're gonna put. I'm like, get your fucking in the game.
Speaker 4: And I know, and I know I'm doing a nineteen sixty four dad thing right now, and I'll be I'm so glad we're on the podcast. I don't give a fuck. I'm like, get in the fucking game. And he and he does, and he gets in the game. First, I'm full brag mode. First play steals the ball out left pass. Now they're up four. Next play steals the ball pass, guy gets fouled. The game's open. He and I'm like, and to me, I could feel all the other parents judgment of me pushing him to go in the game. I could feel it. Yeah, it's twenty twenty five in New York City. What the fuck you think I'm dealing with? Yeah, And I could feel it. I could feel them judging me and feeling bad. And Xander's reacting on the other side of it, like not, well, he's like my like, he's not it's not like he's it's not like he's getting motivated. He's not getting gary Veed. I'm not Gary Veed and my son, I'm his dad. He's not getting motivated. He's like annoyed with me. But he goes in and and when I tell you my conversation with him that night and then the next morning I took him to school, I could smell what happened. He persevered through something, he pushed himself to a place he didn't think he was ready to do. And he not only that, it worked a lot of times when you do that. And there's been different versions of this story where like nothing cool happened right in this scenario, a very the kind of cool thing that weirdly he might tell forever, like let me tell you the game when I was.
Speaker 1: Tweaty, my heel hurt, my dad push and it was a great thing.
Speaker 4: By the way, the dad part won't be in that story. It's like I got the man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so here's what I would say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's been times I've done that and it didn't go well.
Speaker 1: You over pushed a.
Speaker 4: Little bit of all that stuff. There's times where it did go. Well, every one of us is struggling with it. What I would say to every dad who's listening, every mom who's listening, you've got to go with intuition, and you've got to try both. If you're like a crazy Marinovitch dad, where you're just like driving your kid to the ground, and you never have I've gone soft on him at times, you gotta.
Speaker 1: Play the situation.
Speaker 4: There's no all these parents read all these goddamn books. Now, it's like, just be a human and sometimes push and sometimes don't find. You know, back to America right now. Don't be fully red, don't be fucking fully blue.
Speaker 2: Be purple. Sometimes you left, sometimes you right. Dad, fucking mix it, dude.
Speaker 3: I always say, a Cavino Taco party of one, how could you go so far left, so far right? You gotta play it by ear fully purple, fully gotta be purple. Every situation is different. I remember, I remember, hold on, I was, I was.
Speaker 2: I was coaching the kids and I can see the girls are like, you're just being lazy seven year old girls softball? And I said, hey, girls, like you know, how about we play let's play a little mad?
Speaker 1: Do you ever get mad? And you're angry. One of the parents is like, I would not tell the kids to play mad. I'm like, why not?
Speaker 4: Don't then leave because because it's sports, you have I play mad. I was like, the other girls are hustling on the other team. Don't you want to beat them? Let's play a little mad. I got like, yelled, I'm actually the reverse. I don't know if I've ever played anything not mad. Yeah, mad is how I play.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hey, speaking of I think the Eagles are playing mad because they want revenge. I think the Chiefs want that three p Yeah, it's big. So what's more of a motivator in your mind? Based on that theory?
Speaker 4: I think at this level and those circumstances, I think it's an even steven Okay, yeah, I really do. And then it becomes individual Like I'm watching two NFL players talk to each other. I think it's Salomon Thomas, Jets player currently, but he'll be a free agent.
Speaker 1: Your eyes are better than mine, broh.
Speaker 4: And they're talking and I look at both of them, and what you really learn is on the fifty three men, it varies within them. There's forty one Eagles and forty one Chiefs. This Sunday that are gonna play like their life depends on it. But don't get it twisted. There'll be twelve that are playing it chill and are thinking about their vacation like you'd be surprised, right, you know, And that's okay, That's how life is. Everyone's a little different.
Speaker 1: You know. Gary loves to talk about how you love losing. Yes, And I'll be honest.
Speaker 2: Cavino and I debate this all the time that there are times where I feel like he's not vote motivated in less is a chip on his shoulder?
Speaker 1: Listen? Is that how you think a healthy way to operate? It's a tostito, but yes, yes, I.
Speaker 4: Am very motivated by losing in things that don't matter, sports, more games, in life. I do think a chip on the shoulder is a good one, but I fear when it becomes too big. I think you can get a little bit Darth Vader, do you know what I mean? I think there's a dark side to the chip, like like Michael Jordan, right, you know, like, yeah, I think it's dark over there. Documentary opened honestly, that was his documentary, just so yeah, it gets way darker than that. It's way darker than that.
Speaker 2: When you saw him in that documenty sitting there like, this guy's a little bit of a crazy man.
Speaker 4: Way darker than that. So you know, I think, I think that a chip on the shoulder is good, especially when it's silly stuff, a softball game, a game of monopoly, like I love. I love competition that is erratic and ridiculous in lightweight stuff. I don't like it as much in life, Like you're so mad at your dad for the way he parented you, that your whole life's about, Like, I'll show dad it's I think there's a point where that becomes so unhealthy, and I feel like there I would like to see a little more purple. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Speaking of competition, Gary v could Know and Rich with Gary Vaynerchuk got to ask you, who is your competition?
Speaker 1: How do you view that? Do you see these other entrepreneurs on social media? I know I'm good for them.
Speaker 4: I'm good like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm a big believer that no one's taking your food, Nobody's winning is coming out of my winning. I believe in massive abundance. Look there, listen, I'm I'm competitive, like I anything I start, I want to be as good at it as possible. I this is where I don't go evil. This is where my optimism kicks in. If somebody comes along and has a bigger podcast, a mass is more followers, or gets heat for similar things I talk about, I'd cheer for them. When I did the NFTs You Friends was a monster, and then out of nowhere, bored Ape Yacht Club came and passed us. I was happy for those dudes. Do I want Did I want V Friends to be bigger? Of course I did, But no, I don't. I don't have a lot of envy or jealousy. I really don't. It's I'm very fortunate. And again I say that, not like I'm cool or awesome. That's the luck of the draw of the moment my parents had sex and I was formed. That's the DNA ship, you know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, that was just never in me. I'm competitive, but I really do not think that somebody's podcast, listen, somebody's sale of a bottle of wine. I don't think a new wine store that affects wine. Text you know, is like, I'm not mad at them, but I'm competing.
Speaker 1: I want to win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, talking about the unhealthy. I was telling Kevino story I'd never told her before. We're having the uh little pizza dinner. Yes, my daughter's soccer team. One of the dad, the one dad who's the guy that's pacing every game, yelling and screening our Sabrina. You know, Becky, this guy's yelling the whole time.
Speaker 4: He's into it.
Speaker 2: He stands up at the dinner and he's like, I just want to apologize all the parents for me being very intense this year. It's because my dad never loved me, and I just want my kids to be proud. And we all looked at each other, like, Wow, this guy's that's a lot of weight, man, a lot of it's I really believe in that ship.
Speaker 4: I I genuinely believe that every single person's bad behavior is completely predicated on insecurity.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I like, like everybody who does bad ship in the world, every single person that does bad ship in the world is doing it because they're insecure. I genuinely believe.
Speaker 1: From speaking of insecure, we talk all the time about how social media.
Speaker 2: Creates a lot of insecurity because I think younger people don't realize that's the highlight reel and every you know that mindset young people have, like everyone's living a better life than I am. How do you convince a young person they're not buddy that this is all fake shit?
Speaker 4: Honestly, listen, you guys know this. We grew up with MTV cribs. We grew up with lifestyles of the rich and famous. Were you know, like like this this excuse that's social has I think this is bad parenting. I don't think it's social. I think that our parents were different thirty They were different when when when we were like, h I'm sad that I don't have a Mercedes Benz Dad's in eighty four were like, shut the fuck up and get to work and buy Mercedes if you want one. Now we're like, I'll buy it for you, Johnny. Let's just get to the punchline.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 4: If you're listening to the podcast, I'm suffocating this shit. Stop blaming Instagram, stop blaming China, stop blaming fucking all this other bullshit. You're a fucking parent if you don't. If you don't like that your kids are on TikTok, delete the app, especially right now because they can't reload it. Actually, right now, by the way parents, Once and for all, you're so fucking scared of TikTok and so bad when your kid is sleeping, delete it. They can't get it back on their phone. Step up, Oh Gary, I can't do that. All his friends, all her friends have it. What the fuck are you talking about? You're folding the sixth grade peer pressure? Once and for all. We are filled with excuses. Be a fucking parent, Gary, your kids?
Speaker 2: What four years or so away from does Gary Vee get his kid a new car when the time is right or is it an old school lesson of like you got to earn the yeah, man?
Speaker 1: Like, how does that work in your world?
Speaker 4: In my personal situation, my ex wife is gonna we're in a situation where she'll make some decisions that I can't fully control. So will I buy them a new car?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I will not. Will they have a brand new car?
Speaker 1: Probably?
Speaker 4: It's you know, I don't want to speak for her, but like, it's it's in the cards.
Speaker 1: It's in the cards.
Speaker 3: Hey listen, I co parent and there's a lot of people in that situation. How do you balance your work life harmony?
Speaker 1: Like, how do you do that? Right now?
Speaker 4: My real life with my right by realizing there is no balance, there is no harmony. Obviously, my kids have the best mom in the world. That she's an incredible mother, and so I'm very fortunate on that front. Like, you do the best you can. This is like the whole thing for all parents. We're just all doing the best we can. Like, what is balance? Is it? Are you fifty fifty?
Speaker 1: Figure out how far you've come as a business guy? Right? You still gotta be there. You got to show up. That's a major part of your life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, honestly, like some days the business takes to ll some days the kids don't get you there. But the other thing I would say to people that have very young kids, I want them to hear this, this concept that you have to be at every single thing. Again, this goes to purple. We've become too left. Everybody overcompensated the red with the blue pill. We got to get the purple. In fact, I actually think it's healthy for a kid that's seven that you've gone to thirteen straight recitals or basketball games that if you miss one.
Speaker 1: I couldn't agree more. Man, that's real.
Speaker 3: Parents are just extending themselves in crazy ways, putting so much pressure on themselves, and I mean there's certain things that you get.
Speaker 2: By the way, and it's always like Wednesday at two pm, and I'm like, and I'm always trying to manage my schedule. Thank you for that, because now I'm like, today I felt a little guilty and me has a little thing at the school and Sarah's like, I'll tape it on my phone.
Speaker 1: I'm like, okay, should I FaceTime you? I'm like, no, it's I think we'll be okay.
Speaker 4: I think this is a huge issue. And the punchline is your kids care about the depth, not the width. There's a lot of parents right now just checking the boxes. So great, I'm glad you went to Emmy's little thing. You were looking at your phone the whole time and Emmy saw it. Yeah, so me knows that actually doesn't give a ship like like like to me, it's like we're checking boxes. These kids are not dumb. Yeah, do you actually give a shit about them? Are you in their life?
Speaker 1: Do you talk to them? Do you care?
Speaker 2: They don't need you to check every body. By the way, there's our next president, Stephen A.
Speaker 1: Smith. There is Stephen A President President President. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean I think you know I think that there's just a lot, a lot, a lot to this whole game, and it all is finding the middle. The extremes have fucked up everything politically, in parenting, in society. Are you fascinated to when you see half the people you know thinking the world's coming to an end now and half of your friends like this is the greatest time ever? Like, No, because that's that's been the way for years. I've been I like politics, yeah, and I like human behavior.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So this, I mean, this goes back to bush Gore for me. This is like this has been going on for a much longer time. Obviously it's now amplified, but I've had Republican friends and Democrat friends for twenty years telling me they're moving to Canada every four years. Meanwhile, news alert, no one's moved to Canada. So humans are full of shit, right, and so I pay attention to it. But I'm not surprised. This is the would you ever? Would you ever dabble in that world? I don't think so, I'll be honest with you. Here's why, back to how this interview started. Yeah, I feel like I can make a bigger impact on humanity from the perch I'm sitting on the second you go into that world, immediately fifty percent of the people will not listen to a word you say.
Speaker 3: By the way, is that how you want to be remembered I made an impact on humanity or yeah, businessman like?
Speaker 4: No, Honestly, I really want my inner circle to remember me, like as a good dude. Like I'm very, very passionate that the people that actually know me like the way I know you guys, dude right, acquaintance slash, like we just have a good vibe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: I much more care today what you guys think about me than when you when you knew I remember the first time we knew of each other. Yeah, today it matters to me much more what you think about me than four years ago, six years ago. My family, It's the most important. The people I've worked with for a decade. More important a stranger Johnny Pants nineteen on social not as much, you know, And so i'd like, yes, I do. I do think a lot about being remembered fondly, And I do not believe that can be achieved by me making a lot of money. I think it is achieved by how I show up every day of the week, for my family, from my acquaintances, for my friends, and for my strangers.
Speaker 2: Well, to answer your question, when we found out we're seeing you today, was ah, so happy he's killing it and.
Speaker 1: We love garyve Garvy. I got one more thing I gotta ask you. I know, I know you're being pulled in a million directions.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I love when you talk about because I've read a quote once it's like he or she who can master patients could master anything.
Speaker 1: I'm impatient. He's impatient. I see it in my kids.
Speaker 2: As a Ronnie Chen the comedian does Prime now, Prime Now, we can't even wait a day for a package anymore.
Speaker 1: How do you encourage people to understand patience? They have no choice?
Speaker 4: When I fucking tell you, the way I embraced patients was through the lens of extreme practicality and truth. Because you have no fucking choice. Friends, News Alert, like I don't give a shit, nor does God, nor does the world that you want something right now. I also want everything that I dream of. I wish i'd been running the jets for the last twenty years.
Speaker 1: Like I get it.
Speaker 4: I understand about dreams, ambitions, but even basic stuff. If someone's listening right now, Like, yo, fuck you, Gary, not big stuff like that, Like I just want a better roof over my, you know, kid's house. I'm like, listen, respect, but guess what you trying to do? Shortcuts or scams isn't gonna achieve that, Like, like you're gonna have to put a hard hat on and fucking eat ship for another two years and take an extra job and put a patch over that fucking roof, like real shit, you know what I mean? And so how did I embrace it? By knowing I had no fucking choice?
Speaker 1: Thank you man? Gary?
Speaker 3: V two Super Bowl ads if I'm not mistaken, to B and Turis Cell and wow, man the door Cell was the real one to look out for.
Speaker 1: Vayner Sports Vayner x Vayner Media Vayne Vyner Vayner. By the way, next time we see Gary, is he gonna be a robot? What's your thoughts on AI? Real quick? Do you think we headed in a crazy direction or what? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And our great great great great grandparents would think we're in a crazy spot now. They'd be like, what's a phone, what's a car? What's a plane?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 4: Wait, you can get to Europe in six hours It used to take us fucking three weeks.
Speaker 2: People would pack up and leave the country and be like, nice knowing you, I'll never see you again.
Speaker 4: Bro, we grew up in an era, you and I I were. We grew up in an era where when I'm when me and my friends went to college, that was it. Oh yeah, we joked there's no cell phones, messenger joke about how you'd have it. You'd have a kid, you'd play tackle football within your neighborhood. He could move two towns away to be nice, knowing.
Speaker 1: You never again.
Speaker 2: Now kids meet each other like at some event and they have friendships of forty years, texting, social media, literally lost in the ether.
Speaker 4: You're right a block sometimes in the right city.
Speaker 1: Guess what's next for Gary ve Man.
Speaker 4: You know what's funny. I'm a counter puncher by trade. What I mean by that is I'm much more Floyd Mayweather than I'm Mike Tyson. Of course, you know the answer is I'm always building frameworks and paying attention and thinking about what is happening AI. I'll give you an example. I'll give you a scoop. I am working on making an AI influencer, So I am the intellectual property and producer of a person I'm about to make famous, Like I didn't think I was gonna do that three years ago. Look like a much more handsome, younger version of me.
Speaker 1: Is he wearing a sweet swede jacket? Like but on some real that's crazy.
Speaker 4: So the blending of being Disney and influencer marketing is coming. Humans are going to own fifty humans but they're not real humans, but they're gonna be big on social and that's a business brand deals marketing. So you know, I think, I think, I'm not sure what's next. I know that I keep my eyes and ears open.
Speaker 1: For Yeah, awesome man, heyx robots.
Speaker 4: Yeah you watched the Megan Fox movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, my wife's like I was like, she's like, because it has a personality. No, I'm like, that's the that's the reason.
Speaker 1: No, listen.
Speaker 4: I think, by the way, I've got a hot take. Robots are coming, Relationships with robots is coming. And how about this, I got a hot take. I think for a lot of people in fifty years that is going to help their marriage. I actually predict that relationships with AI robots will actually help some sort of framework. It will be not what people will think, Oh, no one's good. It's always the counter thing that people don't realize.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you understand, Yeah completely, Thank you. It's Darry Baynerchuk. Always great to see you on Covino and Ridge Fox Sports Radio.