Speaker 1: In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. Welcome to another edition of In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams. And for the headlines, we have Indiana Fevers Lexi Hall joining us for a special announcement, so you want to stick around for that. And later in the show, we have Alicia Gray joining us to talk all things unrivaled basketball, so you want to stick around for that as well. But before we get into all of that, let's break down the latest in WNBA free agency. Sources have confirmed that the Seattle Store of Las Vegas Aces and Los Angeles Sparks have agreed to a three team trade deal. Seattle will acquire number two overall pick and Lee Yuru from LA, while the Aces acquired Guloid from Seattle and the number thirteen overall pick from LA. And this deal, the Sparks get Kelsey Plump from Las Vegas and the number nine overall pick from Seattle. Now, I think that each team gets better with this trade. Obviously for Seattle they will be in a rebuild mode and it seems like they're high up on keeping Gabby Williams around with the move of cooring her prior to the negotiations starting. And I like Juloyd with the Aces. She gets to team up with Asia Wilson, Jackie Young, Chelsea Gray and that number thirteen pick. Now we know that last year the WNBA took away the number nine pick from LA due to the case with deer Can Hampy, and so now they get back into the ballgame for the twenty twenty five draft by acquiring the number thirteen overall pick from LA and then Kelsey Plumb. She gets a fresh start in Los Angeles. This is a team that's young. They have the key of Jackson, Cameron Brink, and they want to compete. So I love seeing her not only help this young core, but also to team back up with her old teammate and deer Can Hampy. So I like that three team trade deal. And then they also get the number nine pick from Seattle. So while they had to give up that number two pick, I think that the twenty twenty five draft class is so deep that even having the number nine pick with the thought of maybe using that as a trade asset to get a veteran experienced guard or why not just draft someone within the twenty twenty five class and continue to build their young core. There are lots of talented guards coming out of college this year, so I'm excited to see what the Spark to do in terms of doing that. Now. Also in WNBA Free agency News, Washington Posts reporter Kareem Copeland has reported that Shatori Walker Kimbro intends to sign a one year deal with the Atlanta Dream once players can officially sign on Saturday. We know that Shatari Walker Kimbro, you spent seven non consecutive seasons with the Mystics, and she had arguably one of her best seasons last year, and so she goes to Atlanta to get a fresh start there. All right, And now for one of the biggest stories of the week in free agency, It's being reported that Alyssa Thomas is being dealt to the Phoenix Mercury and a sign in trade deal, and it's being reported that in exchange, the Phoenix Mercury will send over Natasha Cloud, Rebecca Allen and the number twelve overall pick. I'm also told that in that deal, potentially Ty Harris can be dealt from Connecticut as a package with Alyssa Thomas and that sign in trade to the Phoenix Mercury. Now, is it shocking that the Phoenix Mercury are deciding to potentially trade Natasha Cloud after signing her last year. I think that it is absolutely shocking, but it makes sense in the biggest realm of things because they both play the same position. Alyssa Thomas is point guard, she can play defense. I didn't really see how it would work out with those two, so it makes sense. And also for Connecticut, if you're going to give up your MVP type candidate Elsa Thomas has been in the MVP runnings for the last couple of seasons, you have to give up something, and so I think that for that package, I think that the numbers kind of make sense in terms of being able to make that swap. I do see or maybe want to predict that maybe Dowanabonna will also as an unrestricted free agent signed to the Phoenix Murcery because they've now cleared so much cap space with Because they've now cleared so much cap space with trading Cloud and the pick and Rebecca Allen, you now have more cap space to sign a bigger contract. And also it was reported early on that Diana ta Rossi will retire and Brittany Grinder potentially wants to play elsewhere. So you have all this cap space, but now you have, you know, more room to sign big name stars or more role players to fill that role. So I do like this trade for Phoenix, and I'm excited to see what happens next. All right, that's gonna do it for the latest pre agency news. Make sure you tune into the in Case You missed It with Christina Williams social media channels for all of the latest and WNBA Free Agency. Now let's get into this conversation with Indiana Fever's Lexi Hall for her big announcement. Welcome to a bonus edition of In Case You missed It with Christina Williams here on iHeartRadio, and I'm super excited for today's guest. There's a huge announcement and so without further ado, I want to welcome in Lexi Hall of the Indie Anda Fever. Lexi, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Hi, thank you excited to be here.
Speaker 1: So Lexi, I understand that there's a huge announcement today, so I'll let you do the honors and tell all the listeners. What's new with you?
Speaker 2: So I am part of Unrivaled obviously, but also more exciting being part of Athleta. I'm a partnership that I'm really excited about.
Speaker 1: And so you just announced that you're a part of Athleta. What does it mean to you to not only be a part of the Power of She collective, but how do you think joining this collective influences the next generation of young female athletes.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's a great honor to be part of it, and I'm super excited about the opportunity. The Power of She just inspires women and girls to gain confidence and empowers them to really be whoever they want to be. So to be part of that group and joining incredible athletes and an incredible brand that supports them, i''m truly honored.
Speaker 1: We just spoke on how it focuses on empower women in the next generation. What's your personal connection to that?
Speaker 2: Hopefully you know, I'm excited about the initiatives that the Power of She is putting in place and the way that they're able to help young girls in sports and at every stage of their careers. So just excited to be you know, part of those activations, part of those things coming up in the future.
Speaker 1: Part of this huge announcement is Athleta making a donation to Girls Inc. To support girls and underserved communities. So how does it feel to be able to not only partner with Athleta, but to be able to use your platform to create these opportunities to inspire young girls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so some of those girls got to come to the Unrivaled game yesterday, and it's just really great to be able to have an impact on different communities and especially the Miami chapter here being able to see, you know, those girls having a great time in the game and hopefully inspire them to really just chase whatever dreams that they have because everything's possible.
Speaker 1: You're joining a long list of athletes like Simon vows Kately Bladecki as part of this collective. What does it mean for you to be, you know, part of a group where top tier athletes are just making that impact on the next generation.
Speaker 2: I mean it's pretty incredible. I mean those two names alone are incredible athletes, incredible people, and they're doing so much outside of their sport, which is so inspiring to me. And so to be able to be a name amongst them and be able to have an impact on girls across the world. That's just such an honor and so exciting to be part of that.
Speaker 1: I love that, you know, Unrivaled is a part of this initiative. What has it been like for you just being able to be down in Miami and being a part of the inaugural season of unrivorled.
Speaker 2: Again, it's you know, I'm just so happy to be here. And I think you see just the amount of attention that the league is getting and how good it's going to be for the WNBA and how good it's going to be for the sport of women's basketball. I think to be part of that inaugural season, it's it's definitely a privilege. So just excited to see, you know, the growth that this will have in every aspect of the sport.
Speaker 1: A Lexi, thank you so much for joining us this week on in case you missed it. Congrats on your new athletic partnership, and also we look forward to seeing you the rest of the season at Unrivaled in Miami and of course with the Indiana Fever in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, We're gonna take a quick little break and when we get back. Alicia Gray joins the show. Welcome back to in case you missed it with Christina Williams, and I'm super excited about our next guest. Listen, y'all know on this show we do it big. So without further ado, please welcome to the show. Two time WNBA All Star, twenty twenty four WNBA Skills and three point Competition Champion, she won Athletes Unlimited Championship in twenty twenty four. She's an NCUBLEA Champion, a seventeen Rookie of the Year, and they call her Gold Medal Leash. Please welcome to this show, Alisha Gray, for having me so we unrivaled has been going on for the past few weeks. What's the thing that made you want to join this season?
Speaker 3: I mean it's a new league. I mean the way it was pitched to me, it sounded amazing. The amenities, how we're living, how we have excess to things like the equity within the league like it. It was like appeal to me. And also during the off season, getting to compete every day with the top players in the w I mean it was something that I couldn't pass up.
Speaker 1: The lunar owls have been taken unrivaled by storm. You all are still undefeated through week two. What would you say is the most surprising or fun thing about playing with such a diverse group of athletes.
Speaker 3: It's fun because I mean we all just jail so well. I mean we're all I don't know, like we understand our role within the team, Like we don't take bad shots. We get each other, like we support each other, motivate each other. It's almost crazy because normally getting yelled at for shooting too much, and we yell each other like that's your shot, take that shot. So we just got a great I don't know, just the chemistry, like we still mission still learn each other. But I mean you will never notice on how we play. But I mean it's just a fun group to play with.
Speaker 1: You feel like you have an advantage over the other players here because you have that three x three experience from being at the Olympics, And how have you applied that to the style of unrifle, because I know it's different than the fever three x three.
Speaker 3: I don't say I have an advantage because, like you said, it is a different like pace where three x three fevers and pace pace pace where here you take the ball like it's a different type pace. So it's just like you're playing five and five, just missing the two extra putes. So I wouldn't say it's advantaged, but I mean overall, I mean it's something new. It's cool, like you get to show your game. I mean, you're on an island because defensively, like you have no help. So it just allows you to get in your bag a little more and have a little more freedom and be able to cook more.
Speaker 1: This week coming up one of the most anticipated matches between Lunar Isles and Laces, both undefeated teams throughout the first couple of weeks of unrival what's the key to keeping that going to have the perfect record?
Speaker 3: Just for us to keep doing what we're doing. I mean, we don't want to play different just because the team that we're playing. I mean, what we've been doing has kept us undefeated, undefeated this far. Excuse me, but I mean we just got to go out there and hoop. And I mean the Lasers they're a great team. I mean they have they seem like they messed together well also, so I mean the biggest thing, we just got to continue doing what we're doing and play at our level.
Speaker 1: Okay, so off the or. I think that the fans could appreciate all of the Leash and Ryan Howard content. I've seen them on TikTok. You both have become sort of food critics lately, which has been hilarious to watch from from this point of view. How did that become your thing? And what's the funniest food combo you tried to kept together?
Speaker 3: I mean, we we seen like the crumble cookie thing on TikTok. We was like, I don't know the cookies, like it can't be that bad. So then we tried the cookies and then it just became a thing like we saw we see something like we never seen before, Like let's just make a TikTok and tried because we found the them sodas. The sodas we tried and the skill dress trophy happen to be in a candy store one day. It was like you want to try that? We was gonna try, and then we just decided to make a TikTok out of like we didn't even planning to make a TikTok, like me and Rod never playing, so we just do it. So I mean, but it's cool though. We got something something else that we're gonna try and on speal the bees, we gonna try something else as well. But I mean it's fun overall.
Speaker 1: I think the fans can appreciate seeing that side of the both of you, and I think that sponsors need to get on and give you all your own show about you trying to do things. I think people will appreciate that. In addition to just like the food reviews this week, that handshake that went viral between you and Ryan when you checked into the games, fans are dying to know what's the deal with the glasses? Is that a part of the handshake or did you both do that? And the sense of the moment.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's gone dam I mean we've done that handshake before. I guess it's just never been caught on camera, like that's our handshake, So I mean it's all a part of it.
Speaker 1: You got a few nicknames, Gold Medal, Leash, Google, Leash, big Al. Which one do you get the most? Love for?
Speaker 3: All of them?
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 3: Love them all, love them?
Speaker 1: What's the story behind the goggles and how did that become your part of your signature?
Speaker 3: Look, I was actually playing three x three and I had got poked in the eye, and like I was, I don't know, I had trouble like seeing out in my eyes. So I just wore the goggless to like protect me and and I really liked them, so I just just a team when it just became part of my wardrobe. But I did have an eye and that's why I wear right.
Speaker 1: I want to switch gears a little bit. This summer, we all witness you make history becoming the first w NBA player in history to win both the Skills Challenge and the Three Point Contests. So just take us through what that weekend went like, what's like for you? What was going through your head as everything kind of unfolded.
Speaker 3: I mean it was wild. I still say that all start basically changed my life. I feel like people got to I mean I always been the same person. Just the cameras in my face and I'm really authentic, Like what you see is what you get on switch up for nobody in I don't know. It just was like my really my main focus was to win the Skills Show. Of course you think you're gonna win both, but I'm like, okay, the Skills Challenge, like that's my main goal, and a three point challenge, like I'm doing that after the skills change. So I'm like, okay, well, I don't know what my fatigue is gonna be. But old ROMs just don't have fun. So then once JJ got around that corner, I'm like it started getting just a little tight. I'm like, oh gosh, And then she missed that last shot. I was like, I ain't no, what of these people just then win both both of these competitions. I mean, it was a fun weekend, but I think that all start we can really change my life, cause I feel like that's how people like found out about me and got to know me.
Speaker 1: Listen, I'm not counting your pockets, but you also walked home with one hundred thousand dollars, So what was the first thing you sclurged on a receiving that huge prize.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't splur I'm cheap. I don't. I don't spend my money. If anything, I invest my money or it just I invest my money. I'm invested. I was looking for new ways to grow my money. But I really slurred, like I'm probably one of the cheapest people on the planet. Like if you have to squeeze the doll out of me.
Speaker 1: Right, But you mentioned the word investment in outside of basketball, you obviously are a hustler. As you said, you like to reinvest your money and build it up. So you're the owner of the w n B Factory alongside your boyfriend and your brother. What made you dive into the restaurant business?
Speaker 3: Uh? I always had a goal of investing in a franchise or on a franchise. So it's crazy because my brother, like he was going to win. He stop and when he stops closed and across the streets a WNB factory and he went there and he was the oldest schools been like y'all need to try it. And it was like like this song, we can invest it. So we look up like the franchise fees and the costs and all that stuff to take to build it, and here we are.
Speaker 1: What have you learned about being a business owner that you sort of take with you?
Speaker 3: Uh, it's not easy. It has its challenges, but once you figure it out, like you could pretty much do anything. I mean, it allows me to go into a world and see a side of things that like I will never see as a basketball player like it just talked. It just teaches me a lot of things, like how to handle people, even be a people's person, because when I'm in a restaurant, you gotta have great custom service. You gotta know how to treat your employees and things like that. So I think it taught me a lot of things.
Speaker 1: I'm curious, what's your go to wing order? Because you're in Atlanta, the restaurant is in Georgia, So what's your go to wing order? And please don't say Living Pepper. Oh I don't like it, Okay, so we have to say page Living Pepper is absolutely grass.
Speaker 3: I'm a honey mile all flat extra Christie.
Speaker 1: Right, all flat, all flat.
Speaker 3: Only if you can't give me all flat, it's christy. I'm not eating.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree, all right, y'all. We gotta pay some bills real quick. So when we come back, we'll have more from this conversation with Alisha Gray. So searching gears again. You were part of the historic South Carolina team that won the program's first championship in twenty seventeen. Looking back at that moment in your career, what stands out to you the most about that particular season and the way it shaped your career. I'll say being able to achieve the reason I went to South Carolina. I just knew when I decided to transfer, not only did I want to transfer to a concept was closer to my family, but also being able to compete for a championship. And it's crazy because I wish I would have been able to play more than one year at South Carolina, but I am blessed and thankful.
Speaker 3: For the year that I did get to play. But I mean, I just say, yeah, I mean I learned a lot with them playing on the Coach State. I mean she's a pro, Like if you want to be a pro, like you play for Coastagi because she runs the program like you're pro, and it's just like I look back now, like be like, dang, Like that's what Coach State was talking about. She to SOUF because we're young and don't want to listen, and it's like like I hear you, but it going one and out the other. But as a pro, as a pro, like when she tells you things like it's like, oh, that's that's what she's talking about.
Speaker 1: You definitely see it manifest itself through the success of players of the w n B A. I mean you also played with Asian Wilson during that time of that great run in South Carolina. What was it like just sharing that championship moment with her? Watching now watching her bedominant in the w NBA as well, Like all of you are now like kind of in your primes at the same time and just dominating the w NBA right now.
Speaker 3: It's great. Like I'm so proud of Agent and all the things she accomplished, because like it's cool because she's always been this person that she is. But it's just like she has cameras in her face now, But I mean she always been this genuine, sweet person, like really cares for you, and like she's just a great, great friend to have. And I'm lucky and blessed for her to be my best friend. And it may even suit of being able to help her win for her hometown because I mean, she she was known crud in her class. She could win anywhere in the country, but she decided to stay on Place Soudecline and help change that program. So I'm just glad I was able to come in and help her achieve that goal of winning a Na's Cha, not You've a freaking rock star, Krady.
Speaker 1: You are too in your own right with everything that you've accomplished. I mean, what are some of your goals for the rest of your care I mean, obviously, I know every athlete wants to win a championship, but you've been a part of a lot of first and making history in your career. So what keeps you inspired and motivated? And also what are your goals moving forward?
Speaker 3: Oh? Can you inspiring? Motivating? It's just just how hard I work, Like I worked so hard in the outsets have myself to upcome season. So it's just like I don't like to waste my time, Like I really like to diaload and be serious because like you can't play basketball for like one day, the ball's gonna stop dribbing. So the big same of me is just cherishing every moment and taking every moment serious because you never know when is your last of the game to be taken away from you and the staff of a finger. So I think that's what inspires me the most. And some of my goals, of course, I think, Yeah, my biggest guard now I don't is the win a w championship. I mean, I feel like that's one of the last things on my checklist that I want to achieve, and I can not saying I'll sit back and just be like, Okay, now I cheat the thing, like I'll stop working. Like it's one of the things where it's like societally fly cheat everything on my checklist, and like I've got to taste everything because I got to taste of being an All Star, and it's I want more of being an All Star, and I just want to taste a feeling what a w champion feel like. Then it's okay, I want I want to taste the more of that too.
Speaker 1: Lots to look forward to you in twenty twenty five for the dream. Obviously, they just hired a new head coach in the off season. What can fans expect to see from you all this upcoming season.
Speaker 3: I'm super excited. I mean, I'm just decided on what car can bring to the organization and how he'll like utilize us and put us in the best position to be great. I know he loves the three point bottle, loves the shooting that's right down my alley, So I think it's gonna be really fun.
Speaker 1: I can't wait, all right, Lech so we're looking forward to seeing you at Unrival for the rest of the season with the Lunar Owls and of course with the Atlanta Dream in twenty twenty five. Thank you so much for joining us this week on In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams. Thanks for having me, all right, y'all, I just want to thank Flexi and Alicia Gray again for pulling up to the show this week. That's gonna do it for this week's edition of In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams here on iHeartRadio. If you like the show, make sure you like, review and subscribe to the podcast, and we'll be back next week with the latest. In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcast