Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Howard two.
Speaker 2: On this Thursday, Dan and the Dance Dan Patrick Show spend some time in the Commissioner Major League Baseball Last Hour. If you miss any of the interviews, go to Danpatrick dot com. We'll head out to the Ryder Cup on Long Island. Brandal Shamblee will join us and Jeff Passen for the mother Ship, their senior baseball writer and what's at stake for the final weekend of the regular season in Major League Baseball football? Coming up tonight Seahawks. They are one and a half point favorites at the Cardinals. The over under is forty three and a half. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock that's our streaming partner, and download the app if you haven't done so if you'd like to watch the show, and we say good morning to our radio affiliates around the country as well. Merchandise Store, we could be getting a new T shirt that has to do with a good portion of yesterday's show. You can vote on which T shirt we should make that has to do with Fritzy hogging the left lane the passing lane. We have five options up there and whatever one you vote on, we're gonna make a T shirt and then it'll be available for forty eight hours, So we'll have that for you coming up by the end of the show.
Speaker 3: It's not hogging by it's camping.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of this program. Poll question Seaton will clean up our one and then dive into hour two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, working on that poll questions for the for the T shirts right now. I'm just getting the graphics ready. Paulie sent this one over. The worst word in sports collapse quit, cheat, other? Oh, collapse, quit cheat other.
Speaker 5: I think one of them is.
Speaker 2: All right, far the worst. Let's go around the room, Todd collapse cheat.
Speaker 6: Cheats stands out for me among the other ones. If you're a cheater, that's a lot worse than all of a sudden losing a bunch of games or deciding you had enough playing, or it's got to be cheat to make.
Speaker 2: Seaton for me, quit quit is by far the worst word. Collapse, quit cheat, Marvin.
Speaker 7: I have other loyalty, Okay, that's the worst word in sports. It's a business. Oh you're not loyal please?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 8: Paul, it's quit because if you're cheating, you can still make the case that you're trying to help your team win, and the fans will weirdly respect that quitter. Remember what happened to Ricky Williams. That never leaves you with some fan bases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think quit is the word because we're all competitors and you get to that level and when you hear a analyst something and I'm always really careful with that. I didn't play the game at a high level. But when you say somebody quit, I mean that is that's a label that's really hard to shed. And if you're gonna say that, you better be sure that you're calling a team quitters or an individual a quitter. Now, sometimes you'll find it in boxing where somebody just quits, you know, Roberto Duran, like you just quit, and that stays with you as well. We just can't conceive that somebody's.
Speaker 5: Gonna go H. I don't know, I'm gonna quit. Uh, we don't.
Speaker 2: We can't win this game. We want you to play as hard as you can, as long as you can play. Gues time, did Andrew Luck.
Speaker 3: Quit or retire? As far as defying that.
Speaker 6: The reason I bring that up is if you take an Andrew Luck or someone that's decided that they had enough for whatever reason, or even mid game, they're just all of a sudden they don't want to go back into the game. Is that worse than Lance Armstrong or someone that's you know, literally just cheated as cheating the game, you don't you can't trust the outcome because I.
Speaker 2: Don't think Andrew Luck quit the game like I think he retired. If he said in the middle of a game, he's like, I'm done with this, I don't want to play anymore, I'll walk off, then you could say he quit.
Speaker 5: I the timing of this is.
Speaker 2: Horrible with Andrew Luck, and that will stay with him the rest of his life. For those Colts fans who were upset, like how could you do this? Now, I don't know if we try to understand retirement. I'm still trying to understand retirement and an athlete, when you retire, you might be.
Speaker 5: In your thirties. He can't go back. You retired. Now.
Speaker 2: Some players have come back because they realize that's it now. I got to find a real job now, I got to deal with life. And I think Andrew Luck was not getting healthier, and he probably thought I just can't go through with this now.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 2: We've had him on and he sort of talked about it. But trying to put yourself in an athlete's mind of what else are they going through? Pressures at home, you want to start a family. I mean, there's a lot of things that were at play. Probably Andrew Luck wanted to.
Speaker 3: Have a fan.
Speaker 2: He was so banged up from all those years where he had a bad offensive line, nagging injuries that weren't going away, and part of him knew that there was something else out there for him and that he maybe just came to that decision like right then, that's it. I'm going to retire on Sunday. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think there's a big difference between quitting and retiring, you know, like, who's the player on the forty nine ers that game against the Rams in the third quarter, he was like, forget it, I quit and just walked off. He just walked off into the locker room. Was like I'm not doing this anymore. You got stuck and he just quit. You know, that's way different than being like, hmmm, I don't know that I want to play anymore.
Speaker 2: You know, I think the timing of Andrew luck is what bothered people. If he would have said that in May, then he wouldn't have caught grief. But when you're saying it during the preseason, we're getting ready for the regular season. We got high hopes here, we finally have an offensive line, and then he decides to retire. But I didn't view that as quitting that. It was just poor timing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Paul, A lot of people Colts fans were bothered by that in the moment because it was August twenty fourth. It wasn't August first or second. The preseason just getting going. They had no options at quarterback at that juncture, and you know, you don't want to say quit, but the timing twelve days before the opening kickoff was rough for some Colts fans to accept.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's it wasn't Yes, you are quitting the sport. But I don't think it's I'm quitting on this game, quitting on my team. I think when we talk about a team quitting during a game where they get blown out, then that's different. That's the quit that we're talking about. Age seven to seven to three DP show email address Depttanpatrick dot com. Fritchie just sent me something that this was dropped anonymously into the suggestion box.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just like right by the kitchen that it's like a little you haven't seen that. There's like a little thing. I don't know, put it up maybe the big german. Someone built a little suggestion.
Speaker 5: Well, why don't you go get that?
Speaker 2: And if you can't find the suggestion box, I'm I'm gonna go hit you with a pie.
Speaker 3: I got I pulled it out of the suggestion box. They're going to commercial that.
Speaker 5: Okay, So Todd goes hey.
Speaker 3: Five minute pole question from the suggestion box.
Speaker 2: Yes, fritzeat dot dot dot sucks the air out of the room. Just sucks, just plain sucks. Is bullied too much? Hiss content good and.
Speaker 3: Bad from the suggestion box Anonymous, None of the roade it. I'm just right. It's an anonymou suggestion box. That's why you have the suggestion box. Anonymous.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, Paulie, do you want to give your answer?
Speaker 8: Just seeing that all of the above would be apt?
Speaker 5: Okay, Marvin, how would you vote on this?
Speaker 7: The all of the above?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, Seaton, Oh man, it is it is all of the above, but the percentages are heavily weighed in some direction. I would say bully Todd way too much.
Speaker 4: I personally, I think we've spent way too much time talking about Todd Fritz. We break down every possible angle of his personality, his toes, to his hairless legs, to his soft hands, to did he say this word right? To how did he breathe did he holy crap?
Speaker 5: Well that's that's gonna be a heavy part of that.
Speaker 4: But yes, all of the other things are definitely part of the equation.
Speaker 2: Well, Paul has an obsession with Fritzi's appearance.
Speaker 8: I don't do it on air very much. Sometimes I'll do it we're sitting around more so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you do have an obsession even when he's getting a pie to the face. You go, he had his shoes off. You go, Todd, you have nice toes, And then I'm like, really, Todd, you have no hair on your legs. Okay, we analyze Todd's body a little too much.
Speaker 3: I dook up for a pedicure like about once a month these days.
Speaker 5: I did not know how to joke all noticed. Yeah, I got the content out of him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you get a nice little massage and everything. That's great. I don't get my nails painted, but I gotta gotta donet.
Speaker 5: I don't think you've sucked the year out of the room, hope about.
Speaker 6: Don't just suck the worst choice of all of them, rather out, he just sucks in general.
Speaker 5: I just think you're good. You're good in bad content. I can live with that.
Speaker 2: That's what you are. You're There's nobody like you in our in our business. Every one of these shows is trying to find a Todd Fritz, every single one of them, and they can't.
Speaker 5: How about that.
Speaker 3: That's a lovely compliment.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna remember yeah, but remember that.
Speaker 5: Uh Andrew and Washington leads us off. Hi Andrew, good morning.
Speaker 9: Dan and Dan. Thanks for taking my call. Yes, move Fritz, get out the way. I think that's the best UH T shirt. But some of those T shirt ideas will be better as bumper stickers, so that when people are coming up behind that left lane camper, they can read the Todd Fritz bumper sticker. I think Todd just takes his need to lead and to be in charge out when he's in the car. He's not in charge at home and He definitely isn't in charge at the show. He has opp to deal with, like we just talked about overbearing Paul, and so he takes it out when he's in that left lane and he camps. He tells everybody behind him, you're not doing it. You're not going as fast as you want unless I let you. Uh So he just takes it out there. I'm not a left lane camper. Don't agree with him, but I do think he has content good and bad, and I vote for move Fritz, get out the way, all right?
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 3: That's interesting.
Speaker 6: I didn't think of the psychologic nature of that, like that's the only place maybe that could be briefly in charge, like not letting someone go as fast as they want.
Speaker 2: Now, I said this to you yesterday. Your thought process is psychological. You don't want to be told to get out of the way. It's your way of saying, no.
Speaker 3: I'm in charge of this moment in time, and you're I'm gonna make you move.
Speaker 5: David in Ohio, Hi, David.
Speaker 10: Yeah. Then I had a T shirt idea along with the putcha how about move over a three piece? And my question is, uh, what Dan Patrick actually ryde shotgun while the top prince is behind the wheel on the intertate for a day trip just the two of you. If it meant that the Dan Patrick Show would win at Sports Ending, thank you, Oh boy.
Speaker 5: I don't know how far is the trip a day trip?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 5: I mean I've I've been in the car with you a couple of times.
Speaker 3: I'm a safe driver, I would think.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're far better than McLevin. Mclevn is a horrible driver.
Speaker 3: And a terrible sense of direction. But now that we have GPS, you know that'll tell me where to make a left and right, so I'm good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'd have to gear up for it because I know you're going to play the music you like and sing all the songs and.
Speaker 3: It's not going to be led Zeppelin and the Beatles Nose.
Speaker 2: Mitch won't be Springsteen, won't be any of that, Dylan won't be any of that stuff.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I could do that depends on how far we're going, though.
Speaker 3: This is where a sports end me though, is on the line.
Speaker 5: I know, I don't know if I want it.
Speaker 3: That bad reality.
Speaker 2: He could do three hours. I could do three hours with you. I could, Uh, Caleb in Springfield. Hi, Caleb, what's on your mind? Hey?
Speaker 10: Dan?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 12: First of all, five, I just want to touch base on this result Wilson thing. I've noticed a lot of revisionist history about that play in the Super Bowl. I mean, the reality is, this is the nature of the sport. One play decides the game all the time. Uh missfield goals dropped two point conversion in playoff games. I mean, yeah, happened. He's not that guy anymore. He's a backup, that's who he is.
Speaker 13: Let's move on.
Speaker 12: Give the first round pick a chance.
Speaker 5: Well wait a minute, Caleb.
Speaker 2: If David Tyree doesn't hold on to that ball that Eli throws, then what happens.
Speaker 5: It goes both ways, it goes non. Eli is not in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 12: That's and that's how it is. And we have the Buffalo Bills who made it to four Super Bowls off one play, missing field goals and losing the games.
Speaker 5: I mean, it happens.
Speaker 2: So they were blown out in all of those Super Bowls except for the one field goal that you know went wide right, And a lot of those guys did make it to the Hall of Fame with the Buffalo Bills. But if David Tyree doesn't hold on to the greatest catch in NFL history, then Eli's got one, and then he's not a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 5: So it's that close.
Speaker 2: But why is it that Russ doesn't get the benefit of the doubt in his situation? They got to the Super Bowl ten time Pro Bowl quarterback, far greater regular season quarterback than Eli, which you have to have a great regular season to make it to the postseason, and a far better regular season numbers than Matthew Stafford. I mean less yards, but you know he was winning. The Lions were always losing, you know, interception to touchdown ratio, he's top five all time. It's one play and Balcolm made an unbelievable move on that unbelievable play. So in one of the greatest the greatest catch in NFL history with David Tyree, and then maybe the greatest play in Super Bowl history if you look at the defensive side of this with Malcolm Butler, and we're going to keep one guy out and put one guy in because one benefited from one of those plays and one did not.
Speaker 5: Granted, Russ hasn't played well.
Speaker 2: I think we're forgetting that he did play really well, it's hard. I mean, ten time Pro Bowl quarterback when it meant something. I mean he was a Pro Bowl quarterback in ten of twelve years. That was the stretch. It's a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Has he played poorly, He's played substandard. Absolutely. Do I think he would be a benefit to the Bengals. Absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 8: Pulling and with baseball this happens, and I'm not compared them. But if you look at the first ten years of Albert Poohles, we don't not put him in the Hall of Fame because of the last six or seven. Ken Griffy Jr. Was galactically good and then became just good. And you don't take anything away from Ken Griffy Jr.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a weird argument, and I think steven A had it on first take. But I'm like, we've discussed this before. I don't know why this is a big deal now. I guess because Russ is benched. I don't know if he can play his way out because you can't take away ten seasons. But I think he's going to get another chance, and it's going to be someplace else, Yes, Martin.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think Russell Wilson feels like Jalen Hurts almost as far as man. Look how good he was, but look how great that roster was. So I think that hurts him also it should.
Speaker 2: I don't think they had great offensive weapons on the Seahawks. I think Jalen Hurts has one of the best offenses in I mean, it'll stack up with a lot on teams all time.
Speaker 3: I think they had.
Speaker 7: They had a good offense, but not like a lot of good like big time names.
Speaker 2: Did they have any position player who was better than anybody on the Eagles. Marshawn wasn't better than Saquon. The wide receivers, they're not better than that. I mean, so Russ didn't have great weapons there. They had a great defense.
Speaker 7: Allow really good weapons.
Speaker 2: Jalen has unbelievable weapons. He has the best offensive line in football, or that the second best offensive line in football. Then you've got your receivers, you got your running back, you got your tight end. He's got high, high level skilled position players. Russ didn't have that.
Speaker 7: He'd so you think he just took a mediocre offense.
Speaker 2: I think that they were probably. I mean, Tyler Lockett a not a franchise. DK Metcalf wasn't a great player, a curse, not a not a great player. Baldwin, Doug Baldwin, You know, I liked him, gritty and gutty. Marshawn was you know, had his moments where he could take over a game. But those weapons don't compare, yes, PAULI.
Speaker 8: And if you look at Russ, he kind of had two careers in Seattle. His first four years on that rookie deal as a third rounder, he was making nothing, so they spent all their money on defense. Then they had to let those guys go. Remember the second half of his career in Seattle, they made the playoffs six straight times. He had five straight Pro Bowls when it was offense. First.
Speaker 2: All right, let me take a break. We're gonna head out to the Ryder Cup. Randal Shambley, I don't know if he has a personal vendetta. It feels like Bryce in de Shambeau catches a lot of strays from Brandal Shambley. You know what, they're probably not stray as they're direct shots. So I want to I want to ask Randall about that. And of course the Ryder Cup unfolding this weekend. We'll take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure, to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 14: Hey, we're Covino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to seven pm Eastern.
Speaker 5: But here's the thing.
Speaker 14: We never have enough time to get to everything we want to get to.
Speaker 15: And that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over promising things we never have time for. Yeah, you blobber list name in me.
Speaker 14: Well you know what it's called over promise. You should be good at it because you've been over promising women for years.
Speaker 15: Well, it's a Cavino and Rich after show, and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also gonna talk life and relationships. And if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised.
Speaker 14: Well, if you don't get enough Covino and Rich, make sure you check out over Promised and also Uncensored by the way, So maybe.
Speaker 1: We'll go at it even a little harder.
Speaker 14: It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 15: There you go, over Promising. Remember you could see it on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen Over Promised with Cadino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: The Writer Cup Must see TV, but so is live from the Writer Cup. You can see Brandal Shambley, rich Lerner and Company and they're going to be there through Sunday at Bethpage Black that's in Farmingdale, New York. He also does a podcast with his wife called The Favorite Shambly Randall joins us on the program. How would you describe your relationship with Bryson to Shambo?
Speaker 16: Probably somewhat complicated now because that's just the nature of what I do, in the nature of what he does. But I've enjoyed the time when I've been around Bryceon to Shambo, I've spent a little bit of time around him two or three times. We've played in golf tournament's Going Away Back, and I've set with him in a locker room once and talk golf swing for about a couple hours during a swing break. I like Bryson. I enjoy his game. I say a lot of nice things about him, But the way the world works is they pick up on one negative thing you say about him, and it becomes a headline and it becomes memes and it gets back to him, and he probably thinks that I'm highly critical of him when I've mostly been complimentary of him.
Speaker 2: Well, it did stand out earlier in the week when you were talking about him talking about doing videos for his YouTube channel and he should be talking about the Ryder Cup teams. Am I summarizing that fairly?
Speaker 16: Yes, absolutely, you know, I can't remember exactly what he was asked about, but he started talking about his YouTube channel, which, look, I get it's been a nice movement and he's enjoying doing that, but at the time it just struck my ear just a little bit odd.
Speaker 5: And then I made the comment where I.
Speaker 16: Said, I think he's probably a captain's nightmare, And maybe that was the exact praise I should have used.
Speaker 17: Maybe that was a little strong, Dan.
Speaker 16: Maybe what I should have said was he probably is problematic to pair with, or maybe he keeps a captain up late at night. Maybe nightmare was a little bit strong, Dan. I don't know if you ever said anything on the air where you're like, you know, I'd like to grab that work out. You can take it back, you know. Yeah, So yeah, I caught a fair bit of scorn for that. I was like, yeah, that probably wasn't my best phrase. But the point was is that he is problematic for a captain to pair with. Paul McGinley, who was a captain for Ryder Cup in twenty fourteen, said as much last night. He's like, he is one of those players. If you just matching players for skill, you would pair like the best possible team the US could put out tomorrow would be Scotty and Bryson to Shamba. But they will neither they together. That not skill wise for this golf course. That's the best possible team that the USA.
Speaker 5: Could put out.
Speaker 16: They will not be going out tomorrow because there's compatibility. And I'm not saying that scott he has got a problem with Bryson, or Bryson's got a problem with Scotty. I'm just saying that, you know, not everybody meshes up perfectly. You've got to consider things like personality and how amenable are they to change in equipment, Bryson has notoriously fickle about his golf equipment. We don't know if he's happy to or reluctant to switch golf balls to play a golf ball of his partner, et cetera, et cetera. So these are the kind of things, you know, there's the forces is a tough thing to work in. Now, having settled that, I'd be equally surprised if Bryson didn't play four or five matches, because he is clearly one of the top talents on this team.
Speaker 5: Who's the alpha dog on each team?
Speaker 16: The alpha is Scottie Scheffler. The alpha is ry McElroy on the European team. I wouldn't say Bryson's in beta too much to be an alpha, you know.
Speaker 5: There you go, you're putting out you know memes again.
Speaker 16: No, well, look he's he's always in beta. Oh I'm testing this, I'm testing that, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 5: And I do love that bit about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're talking about I'm talking alpha dog where there's emotion. This is about emotion, and Scheffler doesn't have that kind of a moment like Terohatton has emotion.
Speaker 16: Well, you're talking about fire. Yes, I'm talking about the ability to inspire a team with their play. And I think Scotty Scheffler is very underrated when it comes to his intensity. I think he burns like the sun on the inside. I really do, and we've seen it flare up from time to time. But you don't win as often as he does, and you don't show an inability to be in any way placated by money without the fire inside. That's what Tiger had that was so extraordinary. You could not placate him with money. It didn't matter how much he made. He still wanted to beat you about twelve fifteen shots the very next week. And I think Scotty definitely has that, and I think Rory definitely has that. It's not to say that John Rahm doesn't also look John ram is an alpha as well. I mean, this is a team of type A personalities all the way down the board, both sides. But when you're looking at the top of the top, to me, it's Rory and it's Scottie.
Speaker 2: We talk about how the European team camaraderie galvanized. They understand you know, friendship, travel together, play together. Is it's still that because you know, you do have the live tour involved in this, and maybe it's not as close knit as it has been in the past, which was a big benefit for them.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I think it's a little misleading to assume that the European teams have always just been, you know, chummy. There's always been a little bit of friction within the European team room, and I think they've used that friction to their advantage. But there's also been tremendous buying. You know, You've got players over there that just say, you know, I'll play wherever you want me to play, and I don't I know that you get that kind of buy in.
Speaker 5: From the US side.
Speaker 16: I'm gleaning what I can glean from the interviews I've heard and the stories I've heard, and you get tremendous buy in on the European side. And one of the things I say, and I think that underscore, is just how much more buying you get on the European side then you get on the US side, is that Sergio Garcia had to pay a couple of million dollars in fines just to even be eligible for this team, and he willfully paid a couple million dollars just to be eligible. Now he's not on the team, but the United States team has demanded to be paid to play. Now, look, I mean, we can debate whether or not that's the right thing to do, but you have one side where players would pay to be on the team and the other side where players want to get paid just to be a part of the team.
Speaker 2: Talking to Branda Shambli Golf Channel on their lead studio analysts live from the Ryder Cup all this weekend, Yeah, you bring up the money part of it. How's this story get out? Because the first thing I thought is is somebody from the European team leaking this out to make the American team look bad.
Speaker 16: Well, you know, there's a lot of people involved in this decision. I mean, the whole PGA of America would have had to talk about this, So that's an innumerable number of people. And then you're talking about players and wives and caddies and everybody on the European side because they're invested in this as well. And you know, this is a profitable property, almost exclusively because Europe has risen up and more times than not beaten the American side. When the American side has been the favorite has that's the larger part of the reason why this event is so compelling. And so Europe doesn't want any money. They've said as much. In the United States since nineteen ninety nine has been talking about and wanting to get paid. And it came to a head obviously in Rome when allegedly Patrick Cantley wouldn't wear the hat because he wasn't getting paid, which was reported by a great many people. And then I think, written by Michael Bamberger, should they get paid? I don't think so. I don't think it's asking too much. Well, first of all, they are getting paid. So the PGA Tour gets about thirty million dollars a year that every year they played the Rider Cup, about thirty million dollars a year that they take and put into the pension funt of the PGA Tour players, which grows tax free for decade for decade for decade for decades. So when you talk about getting paid, they're getting paid large sums of money. It's just deferred until probably when they they'll never need it, but you know later on in their life. And most every single player, well now every player on the team would have bonuses probably seven figure bonuses in their contracts should they make the Ryder Cup team. So they are getting paid, but directly paid from the PGA of America. I think, look, it's not asking too much of these guys to one week a year to do something for the honor of playing for their country. People would argue, well, the PGA of America make money. The PGA of America has thirty thousand plus members, in numerable initiatives that they're all trying to fund. All of these entities have run these big events, Augusta National, the USGA. They all make money from the events. They make a profit, but then they take that money and do a lot of great things with it. It's like the PGA of America is not buying ferraris and private jets for their executives. They're taking the money and investing in junior programs. Every single player on this US team was touched by a PGA you know, a PGA professional at some point showed them how to put their hands on the club and gave them some reason to pursue this game.
Speaker 5: More app to have another act, Tiger or Phil.
Speaker 16: Good question, I would say, another act. You mean from a competitive standpoint, on a big stage. I would probably say, Phil, you know, unfortunately Tiger busting his achilles again.
Speaker 5: I you know, I don't know how you come back.
Speaker 16: From that at fifty years of age, unless unless Tiger decides to write a golf cart on the Champs Tour. And I don't know how that would play out in the US Senior Open, because Tiger has won three US Juniors, three US Amateurs, and three US Opened. If he were to go play, and I guarantee you it's a goal of his to go play the US Senior Open and win it, but I don't know that he could write a cart in the US Senior Open, which you can on the Champs Tour. And I don't know even if they would let him write a card, if he would do it, because he has such a strong sense of fairness about him.
Speaker 5: What about Phil?
Speaker 16: Look, Phil could pop up at the Masters. You know Jack Nicholas finished fifth there when he was fifty eight years of age. Phil still bombs it, and Phil still energetic, still youthful in his feverish pursuit of this game of golf. So yeah, and he won a major at dangian Are fifty two years of ag So it wouldn't surprise me. I mean, Phil still acts like a kid again with a golf club in his hand.
Speaker 2: We always talk about decorum in a golf course and being quiet and you know, being respectful, but that's out the window this weekend. Can a crowd gallery go too far at the Ryder Cup?
Speaker 16: They could absolutely go too far if they start screaming or yelling in guys backswings, you know, let them play. I think you know there'll be some people kicked out this week for sure. You know, if they start screaming and players backswings, if they get profane, you know and personal, you know the whole, you know, there'll be some good jeery out there. And I know the European side has prepared for this, going back to January when they were playing in a competition where it was Great Britain and Ireland against Continental Europe. These they do these as sort of previews for Ryder Cups. I think Luke Donald had a blaring system of you know, USA, USA, USA, and he hired an American comedian to heckle them while they were hitting shots. So they've prepared for a hostile environment. I'm just not sure anybody could properly prepare for as hostile environment as I think they're going to get this week. If you were watching the opening ceremonies yesterday, the New York Governor, I mean, my goodness, I mean the boos were a fevered pitch. Got me looking for the decimal level record for a stadium, which by the way is Arrowhead Stadium. It may reach that level this week.
Speaker 2: It's just more about the mental aspect of the physical aspect.
Speaker 16: I think that's a great thing about the Ryder Cup is it really does involve everything group dynamics at the highest level. How can you get these guys to come together as a team and buy into the decisions the captain, which you know and I think more than a few instances are going to go against the predictions of the players. And then, of course there is the mental aspect of it, because it's monoamano out there, and there'll be some gamesmanship. They're already as in some gamesmanship. Luke Donald, I think had a little gamesmanship yesterday in his opening remarks the European team out on the range. I don't know if it was yesterday or today, but instead of going to one end where the US side could uniformly practice. At another end, the European team went right in the middle, so the US team had to split up and go to either side of them.
Speaker 17: I mean, that is absolutely gamesmanship by the European team, and so there will be little bitty gamesmanship moments out there, so it certainly becomes a mental test.
Speaker 5: Good to talk to you. Thank you by the.
Speaker 16: Way, Rich Learner right at you with a cameo right here. We're in the trailer here, so say I read.
Speaker 3: Take care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw Rich. He kept like peeking over Brandle's shoulder. Rich, of course, is the host of Live from the Ryder Cup. You'll be able to watch that Friday through Sunday at Bethpage Black in Farmingdale, New York. I haven't played that course before. I've been invited to play, but it's kind of like Pineher's Number two. I did not enjoy Pinehur's number two. I wasn't a good enough golfer and it was it was just a slog and the greens were so difficult at Pineher's Number two. I mean, it's one of the great courses in the world, but not every course is meant to be played. Where you go, man, I can't wait to go out and get beat up. And that's what happened at Pineher's and Beth Page. They even say death Page Black. It's basically, if you're this kind of handicap, don't even try to do this.
Speaker 5: Saint Andrews is like that.
Speaker 2: When you get the first t I think you've got to be a better than a fifteen handicap or they want you to be so that you know they you know, you're going through a lot of people who are going to play a lot of rounds. Therefore you've got to be a certain level so you're not hitting you know, two balls off each te and you're losing a ball and all that. But there's certain courses that they go now you kind of it's like when you ride a ride at disney Land that you have to be this hype. Some of these golf courses want you to be at a certain level.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Pauling is the island hole TPC Sawgrass the seventeenth, the one they always show on TV. Yea when you see that on TV as even a bad golfer. But if you're a decent weekend golfer, I can't imagine the intimidation factor of trying to play that.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not that intimidating when no one's there, because I played it the first time, I put it in the water. The second time I put it on the green. It's like the twelfth at Augusta. When nobody's there, it's okay, It's just a golf you know. The twelfth hauled Augusta is one forty eight forty nine and first time I put it on, made a birdie putt. Second time put it in the creek. But nobody's there. Augusta is not intimidating when nobody's there. I mean, it's still a great golf course and challenging. But there's certain places where you know, you got everybody packed around sixteen.
Speaker 5: And you're like, oh my god, I got to get it over the water.
Speaker 2: Or twelve where everybody's behind you when nobody's there. Okay, But even seventeen at TPC, I mean, it feels like the green starts to shrink the longer you're standing over your ball. On seventeen, it's like, damn, did he get smaller? Because it feels that way. All right, let me take a break.
Speaker 5: Well, we'll get some more phone calls coming up back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Think Brandal Shambley looked a little surprised when I brought up some of the things he said about Bryson to Shambo. You called him a captain's nightmare. You kind of called him out for basically being selfish about his own YouTube channel and not thinking about Ryder Cup.
Speaker 5: And then he goes, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Guess I have still driving that trusty old ride. Keep it looking sharp with Mako from dense to faded paint. They've got you covered. Free estimate today, Ohn, better get Maco, Zach and Knoxville.
Speaker 5: Welcome back, Zach. What's on your mind?
Speaker 18: ADP, Thanks for taking my call. I know you're answering all the tough issues these days. So my question to you is at what age do you refer to your child in years instead of months? And just for the record, I am four hundred and fifty three months old.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you, Zach. I think we talked about this. Did we get up to two and a half years? Was that that the number Paul.
Speaker 8: I think we stopped at eighteen months, eighteen and then you go to two years, three years, four years, if I remember that.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I think we discussed that a while ago. Heather in Denver, Hi, Heather.
Speaker 11: Hi, boys, How are you great? Taking my call? Yeah, it's good to hear your voice.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you, Heather.
Speaker 11: Soh uh, I'm that Chicago fan that's gonna say what about my bears. I'm already already seeing that pessimistic fan. Why two and one, we're in a basement.
Speaker 5: Well, it could be worse.
Speaker 11: It could be, It could be then, it could be, but I'm ready for it to be worse.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't.
Speaker 2: There should be optimism in Chicago. The problem is the expectation level was so high, and I didn't think it was achievable. You're playing in one of the toughest divisions, and then all of a sudden, we're going, hey, Caleb's gonna throw forty touchdown passes or you know, we're gonna win the division. Let's take some steps here, gonna take a little while between coach and quarterback and getting everything kind of synced up.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Paul, but Heather's right, it could be worse for the Bears because they're not two and one, they're one and two. So it actually technically is worse than what she was discussing.
Speaker 2: It is a lot worse than she thought. Yes, Heather, I hate to break the news to you, but your Bears are one in two.
Speaker 5: You just like that.
Speaker 8: It got worse during a phone call. Oh games today?
Speaker 5: Oh sorry, Heather? Thank you?
Speaker 2: Alan, good point, Paul Allen and Charleston. Hey, Alan, Alan, thank you.
Speaker 3: Alan.
Speaker 5: Quick football quiz, Paul.
Speaker 8: I have a quick football quiz? Marvin? Do we have custom music for that?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 8: Who is the NFL career leader in passing to touchdown? A touchdown to interception ratio? It means lots of touchdowns, few interceptions. Give you a couple of hints. Almost everybody on this list is from two thousand on. They have to have minimum of fifteen hundred career passing attempts.
Speaker 5: So Aaron Rodgers is number one.
Speaker 8: Aaron Rodge number one. Everyone knows that he's four point twenty nine. He's a point ahead of everyone else. He's way way better. Can anyone name two, three, four and five?
Speaker 5: Russell Wilson Junior, the third.
Speaker 8: Russell Wilson's fifth all time touchdown to interception. A month ago he was fourth. He's dropped off litte. There's one that I don't think people would pull quickly.
Speaker 5: And how many minimum games are attempts?
Speaker 8: Fifteen hundred career pass attempts. All the guys are active, Jared Goff Jared Goff's tenth.
Speaker 2: All the guys are active, all active.
Speaker 8: The only non active guys in the top ten Tom Brady and eleven. You never guess Colin Kaepernick, Patrick Mahomes. Mahomes is three match Justin Herbert, Justin Herbert's fourth, number two all time career touchdown to interception ratio.
Speaker 5: Joe Burrow Burrow sixth.
Speaker 8: This guy, they questioned his passing coming out of top Marcks. Mark Jackson's correct three point five seven one and seventy five career touchdowns only forty nine career picks is a great passer, according to this.
Speaker 2: Kelly in Kansas, Hi, Kelly, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Good mornin, Dan, How are you guys this morning?
Speaker 5: Great? Kel good?
Speaker 13: Hey, you know, longtime, not first time? Five to five one. I have a bone to pick with you this morning. Earlier this week you were talking about your wife's book club. Yeah, and you guys got to talking about the cliff notes. My husband now wants to cliff note version of all of my stories.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm not laughing, I'm not laughing.
Speaker 2: Let's use name anyway, Robert, Robert shamed of you.
Speaker 5: You're better than that.
Speaker 2: I call him Rob because he's robbing the moment from you of having a great conversation with his wife.
Speaker 6: What todd People that are speaking long winded fashion can be annoy.
Speaker 5: I would love to have the cliff cliffs notes.
Speaker 2: Version of he yeah, you know what, kel just keep talking, you know, just keep talking, don't worry about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Can you imagine during a long winded story giving your spouse they wrap it up sign that may not go well.
Speaker 2: Well, I have said, okay, I've said this before, land the plane said it.
Speaker 5: Yes I have.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you got to be entrenched, well thirty eight years, Yes, you have at least thirty.
Speaker 5: Like hon, you gotta land the plane.
Speaker 3: You have a heart break, a heart break coming up.
Speaker 2: Yes, I got you know, my life. I kind of treat it like it's a radio show. I got han I got to go to break here, I gotta I gotta come back. You know, I got I gotta tease the guests coming up.
Speaker 7: But Marvin, did your wife ever tell you a story about how she's angry with somebody and then you got to let her know that it's her fault.
Speaker 2: Away, No, because that's usually what my wife does to me. Let me tell you again about ESPN. No, No, you're part of the problem here. The words not everyone gets your sense of grue. That is true.