Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we are not psychotic or psychic. I am Greg Rosenthal and beyond lucky today to be joined right off the top of the show with one of our insiders. It's our weekly insider segment, and this time it's Mike Gara. Folo also will be joined later in the show. Very excited about this by Brian Baldinger. But before we do that, it's it's time to talk some news with Mike. He couldn't stand that Ian got the first two spots on NFL Daily and he got wow, he was available. You know, he was just on TV that day and available in there.
Speaker 2: That's what we do.
Speaker 3: He's very unselfish in rapaport.
Speaker 1: You know, you guys have a very close, unique relationship. We're going to get to that a little bit later. But I wanted to start the show just doing the news with someone who covers it NonStop.
Speaker 2: So Randy hit the drop. Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Surprising bit at training camp, Mike news on Thursday that Russell Wilson wasn't out there with his calf injury that no one knew about before Thursday. So Justin Fields got out there. He's thrown pretty deep balls to Van Jefferson. I haven't seen Van Jefferson come down with a deep ball in quite a while, so that was nice to see. Might be their number two receiver. They don't have much right there, any long term concern maybe not just this injury, but doesn't get any chance here that that Justin Fields makes this a battle, I think so.
Speaker 3: Mike Common likes to play his guys in preseason games. He talks about it, talked about it last year. You get into an environment like that, it gives you a chance to see how those environments are to dress rehearsal.
Speaker 4: A lot of coaches are resting guys these days.
Speaker 3: Mike Tomon very much old school in a lot of ways, wants to play these guys. So Justin Field's going to play, Russell Wilson's going to play. And what does Justin Fields do when he plays? He does sensational things. Now we can have a whole separate argument about how he plays the quarterback position. Does he need to win more from the pocket and with his arm and move defenses with his eyes and all that stuff. You can have that conversation, this conversation which you said, will he make it closer? Yeah, because he's gonna get in games, and you know what he does, even if he doesn't do it with his arms, even if he does it with his legs, he makes sensational places. He's going to do that in the preseason. He's going to do that in training camp. And there's going to be a little bit of a temptation for the wow factor that we saw on display when he was with the Bears. There may be people in this tands clamoring for him. You may get some of those scenes. You know what he's gonna do. So, yeah, I think he's going to make it a competition, even though that Russ is in what Tomlin called the pole position, if I recall correctly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been getting all the first team reps.
Speaker 1: And this is one of those stories that all the Steelers reporters pushed back so hard. And they're there and they're talking to people and they're like, this is not a competition. Russ is out there kissing babies at minor league baseball games and he's taken everything and he's just is better. And I get all that, but then you get to training camp and the players see these two guys and you mentioned what's happening in the preseason. I just don't think there's that much of a gap between their quarterback ye type skills.
Speaker 2: They're very similar justin fields.
Speaker 1: Is just not as good as Russell Wilson was at that age, but a much younger, faster version with the similar skill set, and you start off training camp with a calf injury. To me, it's a little bit of a concern, another bit of a surprise. This's been a little under the radar Patriots camp, starting with Drake May taking a lot of first team reps so all off season long, Grod Mayo, you know, puts Jacoby Brissett says it's his job, he's the number one guy, and even said that to a start camp, but did leave room that hey, it's a competition. If he outplayed them, then he would have a The fact that on day one they're already splitting up the reps between May and Brissett. As a May fan, I was like, Okay, this is game on now. I feel like it's fifty to fifty at worse for me to get that job in week one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I expected a much different split, and I saw guys out there in New England who are covering the Patriots, saying it was, you know, pretty much fifty to fifty, you know, counting the reps and you know the stats when you get in the training camp.
Speaker 2: I always find that funny.
Speaker 3: But the stats told you how many passes these guys through, and then there were a couple of tuck and runs from Phil Perry, who covers the Patriots, say there were some tuck and runs from Drake may as well. So the numbers were pretty much even when it came to snapcount. I think that's the most important number in Patriots training camp. And you're right, I think that was certainly an indication that maybe that's more of a competition than we thought. You know, I did hear some talk that Drake may Is needs a little seasoning and maybe needs to sit for a little.
Speaker 4: I don't get that at all.
Speaker 3: And you saw a peek into what he was like in the meetings with the Giants. Hard knocks and the way that he was I think they showed both Indianapolis at the combine and when he was in the building as well. And you saw him breaking down things at the board, able to spit things back. That to me showed NFL radiness. You know from a mental standpoint, you got to now take it and do it on the field. But to me, you know who was I talking yesterday? I was talking about Patriots fan yesterday about who their starting quarterback was going to be this year, and I said, I don't know who it'll be to start Week one, but I can tell you it'll be Drake May at.
Speaker 4: Some point this season.
Speaker 3: I'm willing to say that.
Speaker 1: And I know the schedules brutal to start the year. I mean, that's that's just what it is this year for the Patriots. The schedule is going to be tough. He's got to play at some point. You are around this Eagles team a lot, and I was very interested in the Jalen Hurts Nick Sirianni dynamic through last year and even into this offseason. Sometimes when they were at Jalen Hurts especially asked questions about it. He just gave strange sort of playing the answers. When he had a chance to give Nick Sirianni some love, he didn't necessarily do it. He was asked about the reports about their relationships to start training camp, so we're gonna listen to him. In his opening press conference of camp, I think.
Speaker 2: We're in a great place, you know.
Speaker 3: I think anytime you have any frustration, anytime you have any any adversity that you have to overcome, it's supposed to test you.
Speaker 4: And I think it's a matter of being on the same page, you know.
Speaker 2: And I think if we are on the same.
Speaker 5: Page, well maybe we would accomplished the things we would have and you know, we didn't.
Speaker 1: But it's a learning, learning experience, hmm, a little bit of a I mean, I like what he's saying now, he knows they both need to be good to be successful. But he basically said, we weren't on the same page.
Speaker 3: No, No, I think that's an admission of that right there.
Speaker 2: And it's certainly what we heard.
Speaker 3: And I extended to, you know, the entire coaching staff, the entire offensive coaching staff, and the offensive coordinator. There was definitely and Brandon Graham flat out set it that their assistant coaches, I forget how he phrased it, but basically just weren't on the same page between the players and the coaches. So it extends beyond Jalen Hurts and Nick Sirianni. It extends to the entire coaching staff. Needing a reset, and they made some changes, and they certainly made changes at both coordinator spots, and that, to me is the one that I'm most concerned about if I'm the Eagles. Not necessarily even Jalen hurts to Nick Sirianni, but Jalen hurts to Kellen Moore, who's supposedly coming in with fresh ideas with some skins in the wall as an offensive coordinator, a guy who's got experienced, you know, I thought at times last year I would have.
Speaker 4: Questioned some of the things.
Speaker 3: That they were trying to do, particularly in crunch time and some of those games with the Chargers where they just didn't deliver. So but he's certainly got a great offensive mind and the ability to kind of make defenses defend every blade whatever, you know, the cliche you want to use on that one, but that's what he does.
Speaker 4: And he's good with spacing, and they'll bring.
Speaker 3: In some motions and some things that we didn't see from a stagnant offense last year. And uh, if you're the Eagles, hopefully that kickstarts thing and and you've got a better relationship between your coach and your play color.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry as a man who's frollically challenged Mike any annoyance that you know, hurts who has a great hairline, is covering it up there. I mean he you know, it's hard to not notice him in that tank top. He's he's an impressive looking young man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's handsome.
Speaker 3: I'm willing to say it.
Speaker 2: Probably saying why cover that thing up? You're you're you're that young. I know, I know the hat looks good, but you know.
Speaker 3: You know, if if you've if you've got hair, you've got flexibility. Right, if you're you're like me, You've only got one pitch, and it's not even a fastball. It's a pitch.
Speaker 1: The Cowboys being thrown from some tough pitches. I would say at their press conference. Usually I've been an Oxnard for that opening press conference. It's like the State of the Union. Everything's great, everything's exciting. There. There have been outs over the years, and this time they faced a lot of tough questions. One was to Jerry Jones and he was asked if he thought this is going to be Dak Prescott's last year as a member of the Cowboys, so let's listen to that.
Speaker 6: I don't think so. Just to be very specific, I do not think that this will be his last year with the Cowboys at all. The the is there? Am I being psychotic relative to my Mira? No?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 6: In my life, I've had a lot of things I wanted that I couldn't get because I couldn't afford it.
Speaker 1: Come on, Jerry Jones is saying that there's a lot of things in his life he couldn't afford.
Speaker 2: That means there was no price.
Speaker 3: That's what that means.
Speaker 2: Whatever he wanted, Yeah, like a super Bowl, that's what he can afford. Like, come on, join the rest of us.
Speaker 1: Not not not empathetic there, And they used some funny numbers too. They were like throwing out, oh, it could be seventy five percent of the Kip, Like, what are you talking about between between Mike Ceedee Lamb and Dak Presselett It would not be nearly that much. I mean, they're just throwing out some crazy things. What did you take away from this press conference? Another one that Stephen Jones through out there in this just for context, was that both Michael Parsons and Ceedee Lamb. Ceede Lamb is the one that's holding out want to be the highest paid non quarterback in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I don't blame Ceede Lamb for that, but I would say that Ceedee Lamb, justin Jefferson set that number at thirty five, and I felt like it was almost time for Ceedee Lamb and Jamar Chase to go, okay, well, just we'll equal that and we're done right like everybody right there at that happy number of thirty five. But of course they want to beat the other guy and see if they can get above that, and so I get I get that part of it. They do have some work to do on that one, for sure. They've got work to do on Parsons. Parsons seems like it's not as pressing as Ceedee Lamb, and certainly holding out creates that you you know, you've got the mandatory fines that can be forgiven now if you're on your rookie deal, which Ceedee Lamb is so some players will have to do.
Speaker 1: You do you believe him that it'll be It won't be the last year that one, to me should be host pressing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't, Well, it's it's it's not pressing in the sense that you could play out this deal and then try to do something in the spring, and does Dak Prescott want to be the quarterback of the Cowboys?
Speaker 4: That that might be the.
Speaker 3: Question that we're asking in the spring, right And maybe now we're asking because if he did, you know, maybe he wants to get something done. But in the back of his mind he has to have a plan. And maybe the plan is I just want to play out the season to maximize my leverage in these contract negotiations. You know, the old bet on yourself. He's not betting on anything. He's got all that money one hundred and sixty million plus what he made before that in his pocket.
Speaker 4: Is that a bet?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's the safest bet that you could possibly make. So I just think with Dak, it's gonna have to be a am I comfortable here? Do I want to continue being here?
Speaker 4: Type of thing?
Speaker 3: It's not a money thing, I don't think because in the end, yeah, And do the Cowboys want to want to continue that? Are they just giving us lip service when they say, you know that they want to get this thing done and they feel like it's not.
Speaker 4: Going to be his last year with the Cowboys. We'll see and.
Speaker 2: Lip service is a good way to put it.
Speaker 1: Definitely, you know, following some Cowboys reporters and fans like when they see this press conference, they're not buying everything that is coming out and wow that it's a It's a great way to put it. Does Dak want to be there? There could be some interesting spots next year, We'll see Miami, maybe La even who knows.
Speaker 3: Now you're dabbling into stuff we can't predict right now, Yes, but he.
Speaker 1: Knows things pop up every year, so there will be good opportunities for him to make a ridiculous amount of money if he wanted to leave Dallas. And I will get you out of here, Mike by bringing up something I brought up to your friend Ian Uh. You know when he was on the show How Yeah, Joe Shane watching you guys on NFL Network just had a glorious, beaming smile on his face, like, man, he really likes Mike Garafalla. If you're watching on YouTube, you can see the laughter, the joy on Joe Shane's face. And I mentioned it on a on a tweet last week and you had what I guess was a regrettable response. I will quote it here and it was you responding to uh, to me and you said, what can I say? Busting on rap sheet is something we can all get behind.
Speaker 2: Apparently phrasing, phrasing, phrasing.
Speaker 3: Uh and uh, you know when you don't think like a kids and you're out out outside of that demo.
Speaker 2: You never stopped thinking like a kid, then well yeah.
Speaker 3: But sometimes it's you're not talking like a kid, right, And apparently that phrasing can mean something else.
Speaker 1: Uh So why a patient that you mike not just for coming on today, but you got two hundred and thirteen retweets that I was viewed hundreds of thousands of time you helped promote NFL daily. That was your way of doing thirty five bookmarks. Really cracked me up. That there were thirty five people that said I want to save this for later.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm not a bookmark guy, but that's interesting, Like what would they want to now?
Speaker 2: The make it a quote?
Speaker 4: Right? Which make it quote?
Speaker 3: So a bunch of people said make it a quote, And for maybe even two days, I kept getting the I finally had to mute that account because it was like, it's said to get back to me, like, look at this, you moron? I mean, how many people want to put this on.
Speaker 4: A on a board, but I got one from Ian.
Speaker 3: That I saved that I probably won't even mention here, but I'll send it to you. He had a typo in the spring, okay, and so I probably should I save. I told her I was going to make it my Twitter header.
Speaker 1: Just say it and we'll beep it out. If it's really that bad, come on, I mean, he was trying.
Speaker 3: To say, he I'll put it to you this way. He was trying to say that everyone loves the quarterback that was drafted by the Falcons eighth overall, and I got you the phone decided to take it in another direction, which which.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is interesting on its own right. Correct for Ian, I love it. I appreciate you, and look, we'll never be busted on you. Mike, thank you for your time. Thank you all right, thanks to Mike Garafalo. I wanted to get to fourteen more takeaways as quick as we can before I get to Brian Baldinger putting Randy Chavez, our great producer, up on the screen now to keep me company. And yeah, Dak Prescott wanted to get his response to what Jerry Jones said early in the show about whether Dak's going to be on the team next year.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day. So business and.
Speaker 6: You know when.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say.
Speaker 5: I want to be here, But you know, and you look up all the great quarterbacks I watch played for other teams. So my point in saying that is that that's not something to fear. That may be a reality for me one day, may not be my decisions.
Speaker 1: That pause before he then said I'm gonna say it, that said a lot. That said a lot to me. I think Mike Gerrifol is on the right track. Does Dak want to be there next year? That is a fascinating story. A couple other contract things. Jamar Chase has quietly not been practicing. It's basically a holding, even though the Bengals are protecting him and saying it's not necessarily a holding. He has a plan. It's not a huge deal. He's not practicing. Tuatonga Vailoa also not practicing. Didn't do anything on Thursday. Practice just doesn't look the same when Skyler Thompson is splitting the reps with Mike White.
Speaker 2: So something to watch there.
Speaker 1: Joe Burrow has been on fire at Bengals camp.
Speaker 2: That's my third note here, And It's.
Speaker 1: One of those stories that you hear enough, people'll say how his arm looks better and how he really looks different that I am starting to believe it.
Speaker 2: Let's listen to Joe Burrow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was happy with today. Uh, you know, still feeling it out. You know, still have some throws where it's it's like, well, what did that look like? It usually goes where I wanted to, but sometimes it doesn't spin the way I want it to. So we're still working through that. But I feel really good about where I'm at. I feel like I kind of figured something out towards the end of the practice. They're an individual, so looking forward to exploring that a little more.
Speaker 2: I love that, looking forward to exploring it more.
Speaker 1: Randy, this is a guy who's accomplished a lot, but he's talking about early training camp practice where he thinks he found something late in practice and he's gonna work on his craft more. That's like, it's like you with your editing skills, you with trying to house train your cats.
Speaker 2: You never give up, Never give up. That's the key. Consistency is always the most important thing.
Speaker 1: And I'm serious that the hype that's going around with Burrow that his army was never really healthy last year, that he's had a strong start. This is maybe the training camp we've always been looking for for him to have a fully healthy August and in July, and I'm getting excited about it. All right, let's play the music now, Randy, and I'm going to try to roll through the final ten points. Number four. The Bills are going with five receivers with Josh Allen for the most part. Kean Coleman's at the X, Khalil Shakira is inside, Curtis Samuel is doing a lot, and then you have MVS and Mac Collins. I think they're going to play two tight ends a lot, but those are their guys, and look, Shakira might be their number one in the end if it's not one of the tight ends. I also want to shout out to Mac Collins. Josh Allen said, I love Mac. He's one of the all time greats. This dude just must be one of the best dudes in the world. Every team Mac Collins is on. He's like a great clubhouse guy, Randy. He's like you.
Speaker 2: Everyone just like talks about him, just like I love Mac Collins. He's doing something right, I like to wear shoes. Though I heard he's a big, like no shoe guy. He is.
Speaker 1: He is kind of an odd bird that way. Another Bills note that this is my next one. Damar Hamlin started training camp with the starters. I know people were mad he didn't get that comeback Player of the Year award last year. If he actually is starting this year and makes a big impact, we'll see that they're testing that out. Cole Bishop, the rookie Mike Edwards will also get looks.
Speaker 2: But Tomar Hamlin practicing.
Speaker 1: Matt Milano also practicing fully coming off the torn ACL for the Bills, that's big news. Von Miller says he should have never played last year, but he supposedly looks better at Cape. We'll see, but it's early promising signs he's getting some first team reps that he's a little more recovered from that torn ACL. Speaking of which, some downer news My next note. Two big injuries torn acls season enders Makai Blackman, the good second year cornerback for the Vikings, and then Darrin Kendrick, a third year cornerback for the Rams. You hate to see that the Vikings were already very thin at the position. I think Blackman was going to start. They are a team to me that could really pick someone up a Stefan Gilmour because they need help.
Speaker 2: I don't think the Rams are going to do that.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say Kendrick, who arted a lot in the last two years, was in their top three. It's probably Darius Williams, Tredevious White, Kobe Durant ahead of Kendrick anyways, but you still feel for a young player like that. The Seahawks gave a surprising deal to Julian Love their safety. I don't know if they're just really into the top one hundred listers something three years, thirty six million dollars. Was this necessary? He was under contract? To me, it's a sign. John Schneider, their GM who brought Love in. He's got the juice right now. He's got as much juice and he's using it to sign his guys.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Here's some guys, Randy who's looking good at practices early and then I'm buying it that they're thinner. They're just fresher. Marlon Humphrey, cornerback of the Ravens, Rashad Bateman, the hype is real. He's making plays play after day after day, Deebo Samuel, everyone says, just looks a little sharper, a little thinner, and then Javonte Williams. I always say, it's the second year for running backs after torn acl and he's looking better for the Bronco Sean Payton giving him some love. Some depth chart notes in Philadelphia I found interesting.
Speaker 2: This is my tenth note.
Speaker 1: Quinnon Mitchell, the first round pick, fourth right now at best at outside cornerback on the depth chart, behind Keeley Ringo, behind Zaia Rodgers and.
Speaker 2: Eagles fans will be like, this is what they do. They bring rookies along slowly. I get it.
Speaker 1: But those two players, Ringo and Rogers supposedly had great offseasons before this, and now they're using Mitchell at the nickel position playing inside, which I think he could do to way to get him on the field. Cooper de Jean's also hurt right now, so something to watch there. Also, James Bradberry is a backup safety there.
Speaker 2: That's wild to me.
Speaker 1: My next note is on the same team at linebacker, Zach Bond actually ahead of Nakobe Dean at linebackers. So Saints fans out there, you know what I'm gonna say, the bonfire, it's raging again.
Speaker 2: It could still happen. A couple final notes.
Speaker 1: Forty nine Ers Rookie running back Isaac Grendo hamstring injury first day at camp. One of those fantasy sleepers we watched with some freaky athleticism.
Speaker 2: That's never a good sign.
Speaker 1: It's also tough to know my next one what to make of injury reports this time a year. But when you look at the Browns players who are sidelined, it's all their best players, a lot of them.
Speaker 2: Nick Chubb, Jedrick Wills, Jack Conklin.
Speaker 1: So there's your two safeties, and then Chubb, and then Dalvin Tomlinson is getting knee surgery, and Greg Newsom, their starting cornerback, is now getting hamstring surgery and may not be ready for Week one. If they're getting surgeries now, they were hoping to avoid it, and so that's bad news. Finally, last one and we get out of here. Chris Ballard, the GM of the Colts, was asked, you know, to pump up some players, and he really didn't want to, and then finally he said, Jonathan Taylor will have a big year. That's where I'll stop his words. That's where I'll stop too, at least before the break. If Ballard's saying that Taylor might be one of those post type all stars we talked about with Patrick Dharty. Let's take a quick break and we'll be back on the other side. Wrap up the week with Brian bald Tree. I am so excited to be wrapping up week three here on NFL Daily, Uh with one of the most respected, let's let's face it, best looking, best lives in the entire game, Brian Baldinger. Coming straight off a plane from Italy. Your Instagram, Baldi was all pro elite. I apologize for the comdown that is that is coming into a computer with me just days after you get off that plane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well it is, uh, it is, you know. I mean, you're living the very best life for anybody that goes to Italy. You know, I would tell most people Greg like, Rome is not the place to go in July. It just isn't. But you have to pay your respects. You can't go to Italy and not pay your respects at the Alta or Saint Peter's or you know, pick a pick a location, the coliseum. So you know, we did that ended up in Sardinia, and that's just a hard place to leave. It's just it's just it's just the quality of life is just that good.
Speaker 1: And now we're going to be just talking offensive lines. But yeah, check out Baldy on Instagram because I mean, I know you were in Rome a little bit, but you're also in the water.
Speaker 2: Wherever Baldy goes, the water is not far away.
Speaker 1: I actually want to bring up something that was on your Instagram earlier in this offseason, and I'm gonna do it. I'm surprising you here, Baldy by setting up a brand new segment here on NFL Daily. Will we ever get you back again to do it, I don't know, but we're gonna do it one time. And the segment is called Crystal Baldy and it's based on an astoundingly good prediction you made before the draft. So we're gonna have our listeners listen to something you said before the draft.
Speaker 8: This is Baldi's analysis from the pool. Just got done my morning, this one. I know they signed Kirk Cousins to a big team. Kirk Cousins can be fine, but I feel Atlanta is in the market for quarterback every mock draft. I he's looked at Atlanta's going deepense. I feel like the Atlanta Falcons on the marketpl quarterback. This is the year to two. They got Kirk Cousins there. Nobody they draft has to play right away. They've got a caretaker. Maybe more than a caretaker. But I feel like the Atlanta Falcons are in are shopping.
Speaker 4: You're going to be shopping for a quarterback.
Speaker 8: And that's what this morning's analysis is all about.
Speaker 2: Let's shake it up.
Speaker 8: I feel like the Falcons' goy eight thick.
Speaker 2: In the twenty twenty four NFL Draft, the.
Speaker 1: Atlanta Falcon select Michael wow Junior.
Speaker 5: Well Wow, why do that is the first surprise?
Speaker 8: Hey, now the NFL draft, to say the least.
Speaker 2: There it was Baldy. They they say, I heard all.
Speaker 1: The draft analysts after that, they say, no one saw this coming. No one said, you know who saw it coming, Crystal Baldy from the pool. You're doing better work at the pool than people are doing in the lab.
Speaker 4: You know, it's interest seeing Gray. I met Michael Pennick Junior and his agent at the Super Bowl this year, and I'd watched the championship game and I'd watched the game against Texas, and I'd watched him, I didn't really study him yet, and then the more I studied him, the more I liked him. And then I worked for the Falcons. I did their preseason games for when Mike Smith first got there, and you know, Matt Ryan was drafted, and I just remember, and I've known Arthur Blank for a long time and the only time this is not any offense to anybody else, but the only times the Falcons have ever been relevant in recent history is when Michael Vick was there and Matt Ryan was there. Now, maybe Kirk Cousins changed that, but I just felt like, Okay, I know they gave Kirk a bunch of mine, but I knew once they saw and met Michael Pennick Junior, that they were going to fall in love with the kid, like the person, the man, the competitor, and they just have to get past the medical whatnot. But I don't know. It just hit me that day that this is not going to surprise me. It might surprise everybody else, but it wasn't going to surprise me.
Speaker 1: I mean, I wish I had seen that at the time, because it did. I absolutely did not hear anyone else say that before we get to what's going to be your crystal baldyprediction here, and you're you're one for one, you hit a thousand, you're sho heeo Tani hitting at four hundred and seventy feet right now, You've got a lot to live up to. I am curious because Kirk Cousins, you know, they started training camp in Atlanta today while we're on the topic, and they said he'll be a little limited maybe in some aspects in training camp coming off of torn achilles, but he's he's cleared to be on the field.
Speaker 2: You watch Pennix a lot.
Speaker 1: I guess I'm curious how you think that is going to go this year between Cousins and Penix, not that it's an open competition, just how you think it could shake out.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, regardless of what gets reported greg Like, you know, there's a report, and then there's the players that see a player play every day, Like I'd be surprised if the defensive backs in Atlanta, you know, and they've got a lot of really you know, good players back to a Jan Cherrell, like they they're gonna see Michael Penix's aren't the receivers are going to see what he's like. Whether he's taken first team reps or not, they're all going to see. I think what I've seen, and I think what the upper crust of the brass of the Atlanta Falcons hal. They're gonna see a really talented arm't and well, Kirk Cousins is an elite decision maker. He's been improven, you know, guy that can play at a high level. I think that they're gonna see the talent that Michael Pennix is. And the thing that I remember I talked I do n't on a podcast Greg, so you know, he'd had like and I was, you know, we were getting ready for the combine and some private workouts and whatnot. I said, so are you going to run like in the low four sixes? Are you gonna run in the high four fives? And he just scoffed at and he goes, I'm in the four fours and like we didn't see him run a lot, you know, And but he's got, you know, like Anthon Richardson type speed, like he might be the second or third. I mean, I don't know Lamar is or what Kyler is, but he's going to be not very far from those guys. What he has to take off and salvage a play, and that's something you know that Kirk's never going to have to do, and he, you know, fortunately, he built his career around just being able to make the right reads and getting the ball out quick.
Speaker 1: That is fascinating because I haven't really thought about how that's different and luck he doesn't have the wiggle of some of those top guys. Maybe he's closer to like a Daniel Jones, where if he has a seam, he can go hit it right. But I think that's fascinating because I always say Kirk Cousins is not quite the guy people think he is, in the sense that he's not always the number twelve quarterback in the league or wherever you want to slot him. He is extremely streaky. He has five to six games in every season where he looks like an MVP candidate.
Speaker 2: But he also has bad streaks too.
Speaker 1: He can be up and down, so he wants to avoid some of those bad streaks to start the year coming off of torn achilles. All right, enough on the Falcons, I do want to get to what's your Crystal Baldy prediction? For NFL Daily that we're going to play back to you next time you come on. If you ever do gracis with your presence again.
Speaker 4: Vol well, Greg, I will definitely come back. If invited, I will come back. I know this is not gonna make any sense to anybody, but I just feel like it's the history of the Jets. Say there's no way, just the history of the Jets they're gonna screw it up. That's their history. Hassan Reddick, I mean he's not can't like, how do you not get that deal done the day of the draft. Anyways, I feel like this is a talented team, a really talented defense, really deep. The offensive line is all predicated upon how healthy they stay, and that's that's not gonna be an easy thing to predict. With their history of you know, Tyrone Smith and even Morgan Moses last year and Aaron Rodgers with his four snaps last year. I feel like the Jets are going to deliver. That's why they're on the front That's why they're gonna be That's why they are front loaded on primetime games just to see and then maybe they can backload it if they do get streaking and get hot. And play to their talent level. I mean, they won seven games last year somehow with the quarterback play that was just dreadful, just dreadful, and you know, and then the defense collapsed at the end because they just you can't win games if you'll score points. They couldn't score any points. I think with Bree and Garrett and Michael Williams and what they have offensively, they should be good and they should be very good defense. This has never played with the lead great ever, so in recent history. You give this defense, give Sauce and DJ and give give this pass rush a lead in the fourth quarter. Those Jets fans aren't gonna know what to do at MetLife stage.
Speaker 2: So you're you're liking the over, which is nine and a half wins.
Speaker 1: I know we're not doing over unders here, but.
Speaker 4: I like them over now. Obviously, if something happens to Aaron, probably gonna fall apart. I mean nothing against Tarrod Taylor, but it's probably not going to go if he misses any amount of time, or if their left tackle falls down. But they drafted a left tackle to be his replacement. I mean, I feel like they've got better depth up front on the offense. Line from any point that since Joe Douglas has been there and Robert Salis beener, I think they got better depth if something does happen in one of their marquee starters, so I feel like they're in better shape to protect Aaron.
Speaker 2: Then they have bullish on the Jets.
Speaker 1: I got to say, you know that the videos are now out from Aaron Rodgers' first practice. Literally the first throw of training camp was forty yards down the field.
Speaker 2: I forget who was to might have been the album we probably and it.
Speaker 1: Was a time and I'm thinking, Okay, I guess I spent all off season doubting the Achilles because I don't know, man, a forty year old coming off an achilles and we'll see. But that that got me back on board of like, okay, this, I'm with you. I think I think they're going to make the playoffs. I think the Bills are still a lot to deal with, but I think those two teams are going to be really good.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm sure that that Aaron Rodgers throw that made it social media. I haven't seen it yet. I mean, they love those slow motion NFL films. Throws exactly and it looks like you know, the spiral is super tight and it takes eight seconds of you know, your breath away and lands perfectly in the fingertips of one who was I'm sure that's the shot. But we saw that all off season last year, you know, and you know we all just got crushed, you know, four plays into that game against Buffalo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gonna have to get get rid of the ball.
Speaker 1: He's not he's not thirty years old like he used to be in Green Bay where he would hold and kind of figure it out. He's gonna have to get rid of the ball. But man, they have so much talent. And I'm with you. I want to you mentioned the Jets offensive line. With the time we have left with you, Baldy, I want to do a little offensive line talk. Obviously the most important thing that determines winning and losing. That the average Joe's I did throw myself in there understand the least. And it's also very hard to predict. It's like a It's like a bullpen, you know something. You could have a great bullpen one year, you didn't know it was coming, and suddenly you're going to the World Series. If you could have a great offensive line one year that you didn't see coming. Suddenly it's going to the Super Bowl. I'm gonna throw out a few different groups and you could just tell me who you want to talk about. I'm going to start with the AFC contenders because to me, I still put the Ravens, Bills, Bengals, Chiefs because of their quarterbacks, because of what they've done the last four years in a tier above the rest, and a lot of changes in Baltimore with their offensive line. Bills I think have a nice continuity underrated. The Bengals added a lot of size this year with Trent Brown a Mariusmims, and then the Chiefs very good except left tackles up for grabs.
Speaker 2: Just out of.
Speaker 1: Those four teams, which one is the most interesting to you in terms of their offensive line that they could make either make or break their season.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, look, the Ravens lost three starters, okay, and so you know, you lose you know, you lose your Zeitler, you lose Moses, you lose your left guard. You know, to the Jets, that's a lot. But I've been saying this, and I said, sort of say it tongue in cheek, But you know, the Ravens restock offensive lineman the way Walmart restocked shells. I mean that that's what they do. I mean, Andrew Voorhees was drafted at a US. He would have probably been a second third round pick last year, but he tours a c L and so he basically red shirted last year. He's gonna go play left guard for John Simpson. They drafted Rosen Garten to play right tackle. Maybe he wins the job, maybe doesn't.
Speaker 1: Rosen representation hasn't been a lot of Rosen. I mean, Josh Rosen has gone. But Mike Rosenthal, former Vikings tackle representing. I mean, you know I represent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I got you. You know, the tribe's out there, you Rogers. Uh so, you know Ben Cleveland was drafted four years ago. You know, big countries there they draft, you know, basically an all pro center. You know when they did draft uh, you know Linderbaum. We'll see if Stanley stays healthy. But you know, they always have a guy like Patrick McCary that can plug in and play anywhere. I feel like the Ravens are good, you know, and then obviously I think Derek Henry is going to make a difference and they're well coached. Dallas Chandro of the offense line coach is very good. I feel like they're gonna get back and run the ball like the way they've always run the ball with Lamar.
Speaker 1: Okay, they they always look better too at the end of the year and then the beginning and with new pieces, and yeah, that's a sign of great coaching. I saw I saw they had three hundred and eighty pound Daniel Fallele playing at guards. I just for my own interests, I hope that happens sometimes during the season.
Speaker 2: That would be fun.
Speaker 1: I'm going to throw out now another list of teams who I think are candidates to be like Sneaky Good, maybe go up to the to the top of the league. Of the offensive line. Maybe people aren't thinking about him as much. Tell me which one you like the best. You mentioned the Jets, so let's not hit that again. But they have some potential. The Packers, the Colts who have been good, the Chargers after drafting Joe All and then the Falcons who have had nice continuity. Maybe one of those teams you think could just really be elite and set up an elite offense.
Speaker 2: Packers, Colts, Chargers, foul.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go Chargers. I mean, I think Joe Ol is gonna you know, he's going to be there. I saw Rashaan Slater at Ol Masterminds like he's just he just has elite ability since the day he stepped on the field. I mean, if you give the Chargers bookend tackles, They've drafted a bunch of guys over the last three years, Ion, you know, Johnson, different guys like I just feel like the Chargers because of their commitment to the run game. I think the commitment to the pistol formation, like they're going to develop an offense line. I don't think Hardball knows any other way to coach but to start right where you're talking about right now and build this thing because it hasn't been very good. They couldn't run the ball at all the last three years, and so I feel like the commitment was there. They could have gone a lot of different ways with that early first round pick they had, and they went Joe Oh, which made a ton of sense. I feel like he's a new dad really well. I know the player. Hardball tried to recruit him to go to Michigan. He lost to Notre Dame in that battle. He wasn't going to lose again. I feel like this could be a much improved in a very good offensive line.
Speaker 1: Offensive linemen are just built different. I'll get you out on this, Baldy. I'll give you one last group of teams that the offensive line here that concerns you the most, that could get in the way of this team, you know, improving being where they want to be. I'll throughout the Seahawks, the Saints, the Commanders, and the Jags. Just is there one team there that worries you a little bit going into the season. Seahawks, Saints, Commanders, Jags.
Speaker 4: Well, the Saints have not been able to put We don't know what's going on with Ryan Ramcheck. I don't know if you have any updates. I mean, and he's not.
Speaker 2: Playing this year.
Speaker 1: And Dennis Allen hasn't ruled out that he could return in another year, but he's not playing this year.
Speaker 4: So I mean, they're really Look, it did not work, you know, at all when they drafted a left tackle and Trevor Penning. Now I'm much Trevor Penning is an elite athlete. He's not played well.
Speaker 2: Right tackle is the new thing. They're trying.
Speaker 4: He came Noel Masterminds. He was there, met Trevor, had not met him before. They got a new offense, line, coach, new way of doing things down there. John Benton's down there, you know, run the offense kind of a kind of like a Shanahan style offense now being run in New Orleans, which might be helpful to him. But I think Fuaga is going to be a really good player. We'll see sometimes there's growing pains there, but you know, they're they're they're a group that have not been able to put together offense has struggled. The running game has struggled. Derek Carr's not has taken a lot of hits, he played hurt a lot last year. They have not been able to put together a great line the way Sean Payton did for a lot of years there in New Orleans. And so it's a concern because they're counting on these two young guys to man the corners and the edges in Penny and Fuaga, and one guy has struggled and you'll be better in a new system, and the other guy is going to be a rookie. And sometimes it takes a little bit of time to figure out this league.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they coaching matters a lot.
Speaker 1: We talked about Clint Kubiak coming in and that's their best hope because you said it for all the ways they missed Sean Payton, and there are many with the quarterbacks and play callings like the offensive line play just went right down.
Speaker 2: And that's that's what it's all about.
Speaker 6: It.
Speaker 2: It's guys in the trenches.
Speaker 1: I mean, someone should hire you one of these days, but then you'd have to give up on this lifestyle.
Speaker 2: I think you have a better off this way.
Speaker 4: Baldy, lifestyle is going to win out every time, Greg, So it's won out for the last thirty years. It's going to continue to win out. I got to balance it up a little bit.
Speaker 1: I love it lifestyle winning out here. You make our lifestyle better here. And we're wrapping up the week with you, Baldy. So Hendy, let's hit the music. Appreciate everyone for listening this week. Yeah, I may be, I may be messed up my lifestyle. Committing to this daily show daily is different, but it's a lot of fun and I'm really having fun with this show in training camp. So we're going to be back next week. We're going to visit a couple of training camps. Until then, we'll see you on Monday.