Speaker 1: Welcome into Ravens Press pass. Today, the Ravens held joint practice with the Washington Commanders, and we hear from some of the biggest names on the team. It's head coach John Harbaugh, quarterback Lamar Jackson, tight end Mark Andrews, and cornerback Marlon Humphrey. First up, let's hear from Harps.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to see. Everybody really appreciate you being here.
Speaker 3: Just first off, regarding Alex Collins and the passing of Alex Collins yesterday to a tragic accident. Just from the bottom of our hearts as an organization, every player, every coach, from Steve right on through the whole organization, we want to wish that family our utmost heartfelt condolences and also our prayers for them and for Alex in eternity. He was a great guy every day on the practice field, great energy.
Speaker 2: Great dancers you might remember, right, great dancer, and we we loved having him here. So with that, what questions do you have?
Speaker 4: How do you think you came by?
Speaker 3: We got a lot of work done. I mean, that's the bottom line. We got a lot of work done. Uh, you know, joint practices are challenge always obviously because you've got two teams out here and there's a lot of pride. So uh we got I thought it was a really good practice.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: We had a couple dust ups, which you don't want to see, but it's not really unexpected. I thought they got handled pretty quickly. We called the guys up there on our field over in our offensive field and talked to our guys, and Ron talked to their guys and and after that it was calmed down. So it felt good about that game.
Speaker 2: It's hard for me to hear you with the fans, car, what does this.
Speaker 4: Give you that a game doesn't. Now, and you listen to a.
Speaker 3: Practice game that the game is, well, it's more controlled, you know. That's the thing about joint practice. You still get a lot of the great work without the finished part of it. You know, you don't get the uh tackle, the sacks, those kind of things. I will also say that's a double edged sword because then it becomes a gray area about you know, how much is too much and that's where the pushing into shoving starts sometimes.
Speaker 5: Whatever the saying, did you know it is an extra age from your guys today, especially the starters who didn't get to play in a preseason.
Speaker 6: Ain't give us see another two.
Speaker 7: It was good.
Speaker 2: I thought the guys did a good job with us. Proud of for that. I thought they practice well and hard like they always do. Visions with him, Yeah, I'm just.
Speaker 3: Kind of protecting his ankle a little bit, you know, in terms of the workloads.
Speaker 8: And start playing with the tight ends and food guys instead of the dense ronson worked up to both plays for Jaya Dycks.
Speaker 3: Well, I wouldn't even judge the offensive line because he hadn't been there.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: He's in there for individual and we got a little look and I think he wanted to get a feel for some of those blocks. But it's late in camp and he came to me the other day and said, Hey, I want to get back in there where where I know what I'm doing, you know, and maybe this is something for for next year. But uh so he's back at full back and tight end Johnny sick Johnny sins.
Speaker 9: And will solid up there there, will sell it in the games and making it get a case for.
Speaker 3: Himself for john is making a good case for himself. He was, he was he was very solids a good word for it. He was footwork, fundamentals, assignments.
Speaker 2: Were all good.
Speaker 3: He was physical, very aggressive player in terms of looking for work. You know, we call it looking for work in the offensive line. Mike knows about that. So I'm happy with him. And I'll say also solid, since that's the other asked the question. Did a nice job too. It's just he's a rookie. It's new for him a little bit. But expect him to, you know, improve a lot from the first game to the second game.
Speaker 6: John hurt Feller.
Speaker 5: Talking about that about and now he's gonna actually get the produce some players and they.
Speaker 6: Doubles.
Speaker 4: Definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I think it's important. You know, your quarterback and your offensive coordinator should be talking football all the time. And those guys are And I'm really happy all the quarterbacks, and of course he's a big part of that, carries a big part of that, all the coaches and the quarterbacks. So yeah, but Lamar is a he's a he's a guy that thinks about football a lot. You know, it's on his mind and I think he's always always has ideas.
Speaker 2: He had a couple of good ones, I can tell you that. So it was fun.
Speaker 4: The way to pay Jackson.
Speaker 3: I'm okay either way. Really, I mean they're both gonna get the reps. If it settles down sooner, great, If it takes longer, it probably means both guys are playing.
Speaker 9: Well, that's not a lot of time that j Art Ronnie and all games what the likest not if you have Based America corpet.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, that's right.
Speaker 3: I mean we we're gonna chase that when you know, it's very important for us and and we're just hopeful.
Speaker 2: That we get through these this work.
Speaker 3: You gotta get the work to be, you know, to have a chance to compete in this league at this level. But you also need your guys out there. So we're trying to get both of those things done.
Speaker 1: Next we hear from quarterback Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 6: It's kind of pleasure.
Speaker 5: Uh, it was wonderful. It's good to go against someone else instead of my teammates, you know every day. It was good to get get out to another team.
Speaker 6: What do you get out of practice?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 6: Just execution?
Speaker 5: Uh see where we are you know before the season start, seeing of our times you know downpack stuff like that.
Speaker 7: We haven't talking as a while. The how do you feel like the out that is progressive. How close do you think it is to regular season four?
Speaker 6: Uh, we're just taking it a day at a time.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: We never know where we are until we're out there actually in the real game, you know. But we just keep getting better that as far as what I see in practice each and every day, were getting better.
Speaker 2: How much I'm sorry?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 8: How do people have old weapons including Jake kickballs, ole bunny backs?
Speaker 5: I feel wonderful have my boy kJ, I call him kJ. Have my boy back out there on the field and all the running backs, you know, just everybody got baked coming back slowly but surely. Just can't wait to see what's going on this season.
Speaker 3: Man, are your first opportunity to you don't connect with God to a backyard and flowers and market this year with another team?
Speaker 6: How would you describe how that worked out for you?
Speaker 4: To do?
Speaker 6: It made my job a lot easier.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: Those guys were just flying around making fact tackle of catches. Man, as you can see, I know you guys seen it. Say he's very shifty, like I said before, And you know, like I said, Odell and Mark household names get in the play.
Speaker 7: How much more do you get.
Speaker 6: Out of practice like this versus going against your team.
Speaker 5: Uh, I'd rather go against someone else than my teammates. But I feel like Iron Shopper's Iron got one of the best defenses in the league, and they prepared us for Today's says.
Speaker 4: Some way, you gotta play preseason games and then play in the.
Speaker 8: First One of the bulls said he likes to get a little action, get hit a couple of times.
Speaker 6: Do you need to be in a preseason game to.
Speaker 2: Get ready for a week one?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 6: I didn't play a preseason game last year. I think, did I know? Self explanatory?
Speaker 1: Always been giving up the fight?
Speaker 6: How start I'm forgiving that? How is that working that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Actually, I was just on social media and I've seen like a couple of routes now sunded to Coach t and he was like he gonna related message to Coach Monkin, and Coach Monkin liked to play, so he put.
Speaker 6: It in practice. We did it short to day, but I feel like it'd be good for us. I mean, getting made me feel good, you know, coach listens to me. Yeah, made me feel good.
Speaker 7: You're wrong with your exciting when Hi, what's your exciting double? When you hire today coming to practice knowing that you're diff different team for the court town.
Speaker 5: To be honest, we really practice in the afternoon in the evening time. So this morning practice I was like, but you know, it's practice, so I wanted to get better.
Speaker 6: It was all good. I had fun going against another team.
Speaker 7: Though more you you mentioned more you you had to take down.
Speaker 6: You want to.
Speaker 5: Be honest, you, I want every pass to be on point throughout this season. But yeah, especially down the field. You know, we hit a big play here and there. Back the defense up and let our running backs get the ball and throw the ball, you know, short, and let those guys get yet you.
Speaker 6: Know, so Scott's the limit right now?
Speaker 7: And so kid just in the water water, Yeah.
Speaker 2: How much fun did you have watching that guy?
Speaker 4: And what did he shouldn't stay you want to get another teacher.
Speaker 5: He showed me he could do it against anybody else, not just our team. He was making some crazy moves, great route running, great in and out his cuts, and he was catching the ball. So he was looking pretty good out there.
Speaker 2: Just a little large shift. But John was talking about Alex Collins and what he meant his time. I was wondering, if you had a.
Speaker 1: Thought on his passing yesterday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, man a, see that was my boy.
Speaker 5: You know, he from Broad County too as well, you know, and he was here in my rookie year and you know we was always chat you know, playing around and stuff like that in locker room.
Speaker 6: Great energy, great guy to be around.
Speaker 5: Just you know, sorry for sorry for the loss, you know, and especially to his family because he was a great guy.
Speaker 7: About what's.
Speaker 6: Where do you see those cats?
Speaker 4: For years from you?
Speaker 5: I feel like our chemistry is there, is there, and he a lot faster than people give him credit for, a lot faster.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 6: A lot of these here for you and they probably want to day.
Speaker 5: But something you listen to your parents, listen to your teacher, get great grades, and you.
Speaker 6: Can be whoever you want to be.
Speaker 1: Next up tight end Mark Andrews.
Speaker 7: Episode like a relationship by this point, it seems like, you know those days.
Speaker 4: I'm talking back and forth from joking or sometimes you're not joking. What what's it like the drafts?
Speaker 10: Just you know, I think for me, it's just being competitive, you know, the way I see the game, the way I feel things may go. I could be wrong or right. That's just part of it. You know, I have a lot of respect for all the refs and what they do in their job. It's not an easy thing to do, but for me, it's just you know, being competitive. Sometimes I speak my mind or do a little something, but at the end of the day, always come back up to them just to let them know I appreciate them.
Speaker 7: A mark of your.
Speaker 6: Advantage point talk us through those two little dust ups that happen on here.
Speaker 10: I think coach, you know, Harbaugh said it best. It's it's it's amazing to have the Washington out here and being competitive and being able to practice against these guys. You know, we want to be competitive and play inside the rules. And I thought today was a good day. I think that obviously a lot of a lot of competitiveness, a lot of you know, kind of chippiness, but a lot of respect for the organization and what they stand for.
Speaker 4: Every day.
Speaker 7: The Commanders are hoping to have a really good defense this year. What was it like to be able to see a different jersey on.
Speaker 9: The other time.
Speaker 10: They got a lot of good a lot of good players, like you said, and you know, just going against someone different than our own defenses, it's nice you know, feeling, you know, just a you know, a different body that you haven't seen all camp. So again, they have a lot of great players on defense and and offensively. So it's a great challenge for us this time of year, UH, to make sure that we can get better and better and take each day and just continue that growth mindset.
Speaker 7: You talk about this new.
Speaker 6: Offense and kind of finding your role in it and and out.
Speaker 9: And sellings can change.
Speaker 1: Where do you feel like that process is and how do you.
Speaker 9: Feel like that's coming together.
Speaker 4: I'm very excited, very very excited.
Speaker 10: I have a lot of faith and trust and coach Monkin and the way that he sees the game. He's very good at what he does, and yeah, I'm excited about it.
Speaker 2: He's been side by side with Odell for going on a month now.
Speaker 3: I mean, you say you have a different perspective on him than you did when he was just a guy trying on the other.
Speaker 9: Side of the field.
Speaker 10: He's been a joy to play with, you know, and inside the lines, he's extremely competitive and he's really good at what he does. But he's also an incredible teammate. He's a he's a great guy to have in the locker room and he's been he's been nothing but the best and and what you expect from a guy like that, and I'm very thankful to have him on this team.
Speaker 2: Would you say Lamar's comfort level within right now? And you know it's it's a different offense, but you were a little camp way over with training camps.
Speaker 7: Now he would stick.
Speaker 4: He looks really good. It looks really really good.
Speaker 10: I just think just the understanding of the offense, making his own seeing the game the right way and and making the big time throws. You know, he's extremely focused and determined and it's gonna be a special Lamar season was talking about, you.
Speaker 2: Know, sending players to Todd and sending routes to Todd.
Speaker 9: Are you seeing some of the Lamar's stamp on this on this offense?
Speaker 4: For sure. He's got a good eye.
Speaker 10: You know, if anybody ever asked him or you just kind of pick his mind about plays and where he sees the game and and that sort of thing. And now that he's you know, kind of getting that input, it's been great. Yeah, he sees the game really well.
Speaker 5: Lamar's guy from day one, even to today, the connections still seems strong.
Speaker 1: Even with the new wide receivers.
Speaker 7: Do you still have to like if you need to play, Lamar is still looking your way?
Speaker 10: Just big trust man, We've uh, we've been through a lot together and yeah, that connection is always going to be there.
Speaker 4: I know, ja quick you guys in the.
Speaker 9: Team Jills, but you know when if they're gonna be help reform, you know, not on wood?
Speaker 7: Where is that thud?
Speaker 1: Just just kind of look to set off.
Speaker 10: Those are two dogs, you know, two dogs that we have that can that can really play great football. And so for us to have those two guys and for them to be working back in and getting a part of this offense, it's.
Speaker 4: Just only gonna make us more explosive and a better team.
Speaker 1: Since the established thurs don't play in preseason games, do you look at joint practices kind of like it is your preseason And how.
Speaker 4: Much do you just enjoy that this has been fun?
Speaker 10: This is really really fun and and like I said, a lot of respect for this organization that we're going against. And today today you know, just being focused, being determined, playing hard and and like you said, just taking that taking advantage of the opportunity to play against somebody else.
Speaker 4: Mark bit A bit of.
Speaker 9: A hardshift here that John and Marline came out talking about.
Speaker 2: Alex Collins, a guy who's here and.
Speaker 1: You're looking here.
Speaker 4: I was wondering if you had any reflections at Hammer or a good memory about it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, Mike, indolence is out to him and and his family. I have a ton of great members memories of Alex Collins and and his time here. He was a bright spirit, someone that was always you know, happy, having fun, a great guy to have in the locker room, and deeply saddened by what happened.
Speaker 4: Man. I'm feeling for him and his family and just praying for him.
Speaker 1: Last, but not least, cornerback Marlon Humphrey, I want.
Speaker 8: To start by just saying, you know, life is really real, I would say, And you know, being twenty seve even years old, all of my teammates younger than me, older than me, you never think about a guy that just was in the league, playing with the guy life could end so soon, you know. To Alex Collins, he was a funny teammate. I think he made everybody laugh. But I just want to encourage everyone whoever's listening, you know, just tell your people you love him.
Speaker 7: You know, because you just never you truly never know.
Speaker 8: So I just I just wanted to say that, and uh, you know, a lots of prayers to Alex Collins in his and his family.
Speaker 2: Let does take out in your mind for most two years get.
Speaker 8: Year, you know, For me, it was actually a it was kind of crazy his his journey for me, So we were both running down on he was on the practice squad, We're both running down on scout kickoff, fast forward to every many weeks later he was about to have like a thousand yards rushing. So it was kind of a very ideal story for you know, a lot of times, you know, a practice squad guy might not think he'll be starting running back in the same season, but just kind of see that journey for him, it was it was definitely a surreal I'm sure it was a surreal feeling for him, but also it was like, you really can start low and get to where you want to be after already getting drafted earlier, going to the bottom and then coming back so at a lot of up and downs, but you know it can't happen, which kind of you from saying, how the handles, Oh, he looked, he looked pretty comfortable that That was kind of my I didn't know if it was gonna be him or Brissette going with the ones, but I know they got some speed out.
Speaker 7: There receiver for sure. But he looked really comfortable.
Speaker 8: I think it's second year guy, I think, but uh, he looks really comfortable back there in the quarterback.
Speaker 1: So Washington has some really good receivers. As you're mentioning the Ravens, do you feel like practicing against your own guys in the past couple of sex, he gotta help prepare you for that one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it did. I think we were. We were definitely very well prepared.
Speaker 8: I don't think there'll be many teams i'll be able to have as much depth at the wide receiver position as we have. So you know, unless you got five legit guys, is gonna be uh that And that's that's kind of what you want. You want the best competition you face to be your own team, and you want the best. We wanna be the best dbs our wide receivers face as well, So it's a give and take.
Speaker 7: But obviously Terry and Samuel and Dodson, those guys are legit. So it was a really good work today, but you are the.
Speaker 5: Two days going up against the Commanders where you're probably not gonna see munch preseason.
Speaker 6: Actually being able to see another team before a.
Speaker 8: Week going in, Yeah, to me, this is actually, you know, kind of almost better than preseason. It's obviously it's much harder to tackle, uh without going to the ground, and then you're you're covering you know, elite guys.
Speaker 7: You know, every single play doing.
Speaker 8: You're thirty ones, you're putting in good position, good and bad position. So I think for a lot of guys, me Rokwan Marcus, we're kind of taking these days as these are two preseason games. Not know and how much preseason action we'll see, but you know, I think joint practices is at some of the the best work you can really get.
Speaker 7: The first hour looked pretty friendly, of their second hour a little less.
Speaker 4: So maybe once it like when you're out there so he gets that into competition that you see intense.
Speaker 7: Can ramping up. Yeah, I think it was just hot out side. I think it's it was hot outside.
Speaker 8: It gets chirpy, but like I said, it it gets really it gets really intense in these practices.
Speaker 7: I think there was a there was a little.
Speaker 8: I think we were all just discussing some stuff in that big huddle that was going on on the field, and then I looked over the offensiveield it looked like they were having some discussions about the weather tomorrow as well.
Speaker 7: So prap practices can always get charpy, but I think it was.
Speaker 8: Really good that it didn't turn into a big, gigantic brawl, just got heated and then kind of died down, which is shows a lot of maturity on both teams. Last time we were really physical. It was uh it was a reflection of harves he told us. He told us some stuff. I'm not gonna get too into detail, but Roquan and PQ didn't like it so uh so much.
Speaker 7: So that was that.
Speaker 8: That was that training camp day when gals were getting tackled. But going against the commanders always, obviously you can be a little more physical because it's not your guys, So that's that's definitely been a point of emphasis to get a little bit more physical and obviously not game game physical, but as as physical as you can be.
Speaker 9: Mark Marlan, you've seen before the trade Cannia a lot of lamar odell.
Speaker 2: That's connection.
Speaker 9: Where do you feel like physic points, where is that trying to connect enough before between those guys.
Speaker 7: I think it's been really good.
Speaker 8: I think, you know, based off the discussions of me and Odell have had. Whatever this means, he said, you know, I'm not gonna do to you what I would do the guys in the game. So he's done some kind of bad stuff to me actually, so that's a good thing that there's more in the tank there.
Speaker 7: But I think that connection is gonna be sweet.
Speaker 8: I'm really excited for those two guys to you know, make make some big things happen. You know, I see us having at least two thousand yard receivers this year, so whatever two guys that'll be, I'm excited for it. But like I said before, we got we got guys at the wide receiver position and then Mark Andrews that's just a given.
Speaker 7: So you don't even got to talk about that. But you know, I think we've got a really strong Shan core there.
Speaker 2: Did you have the senser of Dante's big day past pressure.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I him and Jabo, Man, they've been looking really good.
Speaker 8: I think, you know, there's you know, been some reports about who we might get in the past rush here there or whatever. But I know as far as debt, we do need that. But I think we got some guys that can really rush the passer, which which makes my job a lot easier. So yeah, I think Russian coverage working together. You know, sometimes I'm gonna get beat, I need the covers to come. Sometimes I'm gonna have to cover forever to help the guys get the rush. So it kind of works hand in hand. But you know, those two guys have really kind of taken some strides. I'm ready to see them, you know, do it on Sundays and kind of be able to come household names for themselves.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Ravens Press Pass. Make sure you're subscribed to leave a rating and review if you can. We'll have a lot coming your way. Another day of joint practice tomorrow with the commanders and all start lineup on the mic. If you're having done so already, make sure you check out the Ravens Lounge where we break down everything that happened at practice today, give you our takeaways from that. Thank you for listening. Be back tomorrow.