Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center.
Speaker 2: Jack Armstrong, Joe Getty, arm Strong and Getty and he Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: We want to get you to some breaking news just out of our newsroom here at Fox thirteen. A man is in the hospital after being shot in the leg overnight if his police say he was shot by his dog. Seriously, I don't think that's right. This happened just before four am at a home on Whitney Avenue in Fraser Wow. Police say the man was lying in the bed with a girl with a gun on the bed. Police say his dog jumped up on the bed, got is Paul stuck in the trigger and ended up hitting the trigger, shooting the man in the thigh.
Speaker 2: Wow accident.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the dog claims, you pretend to throw the tennis ball, you stick it in the couch cushion one too many times?
Speaker 4: Right, and Dora, I'm supposed to be there in the bed next to you. And who's this?
Speaker 2: Huh? You cheating bastard. When's the last time I went for a walk? Can you even remember? Pow Wow Wow, bad boy, bad dog.
Speaker 1: My dog ties him to a chair. Like reservoir dogs. I'm not putting up with this anymore.
Speaker 4: Right Wait, so, uh Jack Michael, do we have that the two rappers were talking and gunshots went off?
Speaker 2: That's a candidate for clip of the year. So I like the way.
Speaker 1: Clearly this news anchor who's got a bit of a kent bruckman Will Ferrell vibe.
Speaker 2: Yes he does.
Speaker 1: Apparently he was just handed this breaking news not knowing he was about to do a story about a man who was shot by a dog at four a m. Yeah, so could happen. It's also possible that he was messing around with his gun, or she shot him or something.
Speaker 2: They don't want to tell anybody what actually happened.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, that's that's at least, although you know, it's not implausible that if you are living the lifestyle where you're lying in bed with quote unquote a girl who wrote that story, did they need a woman? I would hope, and there's a gun laying there for some reason, you can't put it on the nightstand even Yeah, you're living the sort of lifestyle where your dog shoots it.
Speaker 1: Maybe he or she likes the gun pointed at them during their romantic times. Oh good, lord. No, I remember seeing that in the Sopranos. Remember one of them. Somebody liked having a gun to their head.
Speaker 2: Turning Sawdrey. It's way too Tawdrey.
Speaker 1: No, a dog just shot someone. This is time for frank talk the pastor rising.
Speaker 4: Up as I predicted, Go ahead, Michael and Joy as we got in life.
Speaker 2: Those were your choices.
Speaker 3: Somebody got shot?
Speaker 2: Oh how good? The dirty dead? What I want with my idea? Don't shut me.
Speaker 4: Everybody, everybody, everybody that's the sort of guy who's in bed with a girl and a dog shirt.
Speaker 1: They have a much more relaxed, lighthearted view of shootings in the room.
Speaker 2: On fire.
Speaker 1: Shootings in the room. I mean, it's not even an accidental shooting at the range or outdoors or something. We're in a room with a number of people. A gun gots off, somebody's been shot. You good, I've been shotting.
Speaker 2: You good? You good? Everybody good? Okay, Yes, I was saying, wow, you've different lived a different lifestyle than I have.
Speaker 5: A right.
Speaker 2: Anyway, what are your plans today? You guys A hungry I'm hungry. Yeah. Crazy.
Speaker 1: That other one, just the beginning part where the anchor gets to the because I just find this funny.
Speaker 3: We want to get you to some breaking news just out of our newsroom here at Fox thirteen. A man is in the hospital after being shot in the leg overnight. If the police say he was shot by his dog, seriously, I don't think that's right. Uh. This happened just before four a m. And the dog Hitney Avenue in the Fraser Wow. Police say the man was lying in the bed with a girl with a gun on the bed. Police say his dog jumped up on the bed. God is Paul stuck in the trigger and ended up hitting the trigger, shooting the.
Speaker 2: Man in the thigh. Wow. Four in the morning. I ain't eating lambon rice anymore. Give me some real freaking food. Was it a hunting dog? Boy?
Speaker 1: So there's actual and of course some background checks. We don't know any of those things. Gun loopholes, what went on there?
Speaker 2: Wow? Wow?
Speaker 4: Well, and if I was going to make a serious point about it, that's the very sort of person that Democratic prosecutors would never enforce gun laws against.
Speaker 2: They howl for more gun laws constantly. And then I'm confused. You know what I walked into that didn't I?
Speaker 4: Yes, you know, perhaps it's best to just move on to other fair I don't know why I enjoy giving JIV names to uh features sets of stories, but I do.
Speaker 2: Jack.
Speaker 4: So you get the choice between golden state of confusion.
Speaker 2: Or how markets really work.
Speaker 4: I'll go with much more so just because the lack of jiviness.
Speaker 2: I'm just curious after the ridiculousness.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, So story number one why the US keeps losing to China in the battle over critical minerals because everybody knows that the minerals, the rarest the metals everybody's talking about that go into so much new technology. He or they who control access to those things controls the world economy to a large extent.
Speaker 2: And the obvious issue with.
Speaker 4: That is that if we continue to be highly dependent on China to come up with those materials, we're screwed as an economy the minute they decide to tweak us or bring us to our knees. So you have this story of the effort to get a big giant New America and our allies run graphite.
Speaker 2: Mine, and.
Speaker 4: The goal to challenge China's dominance over the world supply of a critical mineral used in everything from electric vehicles to submarine hubs and so this Australia based mining company backed by more than one hundred million dollars of US government financing, maybe a worthy goal. Kind of funny, There wasn't any discussion of this, but this is what our giant government does. Opened a mine in Mozambique and built a graphite processing plant in Louisiana, the first of its type in the US. It also signed a sales deal with Tesla, which is historically brought graph height for cars from China, for the battery specifically.
Speaker 2: But then things start to go off the rails.
Speaker 4: China, which provides more than ninety percent of the world's battery grade graph height supply, jacked up its production.
Speaker 1: How many did the market? How many stories include China supplies ninety eight percent of this or that way too many?
Speaker 4: And whether Trump's plans bear fruit or not, and whether He's allowed to even get the plans going fully is anybody's guest. But this is the very sort of thing that he and his advisors are trying to wean.
Speaker 2: Us from, the sort of dependence.
Speaker 4: But anyway, the gist of the story is so China, which provides were ninety percent of the world's battery grade graph height supply jacked up its production, flooding the market and driving prices so low that this mine, this company could not mine profitably.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Last May, the Biden administration delayed new rules that would have penalized US buyers from buying Chinese graph fight for reasons that I don't recall, probably because they were trying to get Shijin Ping to do something. In Mozambique, farmers resettled from the mining company's mind staged protests, shutting down the mining and the Louisiana plant, now open for a year, has yet to make its first commercial sale, and the company's stock is plunged by around ninety percent since the start of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: That's really interesting, and once again the difficulties of a an authoritarian entry. When one guy can make decisions in a democracy.
Speaker 2: That's tough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And as always, there's a lot more detail and nuance to it, but we'll leave it here. I love, love, love, love love the free market in so many ways. It's lifted billions of people out of poverty, on lace new medicines across the globe. It has profit is the reason for charity. It's the reason charity exists. You have to have more than you need to feed yourself to give to charity. Anyway, as we retrench from the dream of globalization, though, there are going to be some rainings in of the free market, and it's going to be stops and starts. It's going to be really difficult anyway not to get hung up on that, because you could talk about it for a year and a half and write five thousand page books on it and not cover it. I thought this was interesting how markets really are. Jack the rise and fall of the Napa Valley of Cannabis. When Colorado became one of the first day to legalize recreational marriage, Juana, an enthusiastic county commissioner in Pueblo, said he wanted Pueblo to become the Napa Valley of Cannabis.
Speaker 2: And they talked a little.
Speaker 4: Bit in the Wall Street Journal about the situation. Big slaughterhouse had closed years earlier, steel mill had been shedding workers. They're really hurting for jobs and tax revenue, and a cannabis boom would do that for them. The streets were going to be paved with gold, recalled one resident. The elementary schools were going to be the greatest in the country. And then they talk about, you know, the classic meme, how it started, how it's going. In the first weeks, the only two shops then licensed in the county, round rang Up combined one million dollars in sales the first month, Wow sending fifty six thousand dollars in taxes to the county. Everybody was just thrilled and happy. Decade and high decade later, Pueblo's dreams have gone up in smoke. A once thriving industry of retailers, growers, in cannabis, oil extractors. There were more than two hundred of these businesses in twenty seventeen in that county. More than two hundred. It's collapsed. Only forty five remain. State records indicate county tax revenue plunge from more than seven point one million dollars to four point eight million twenty twenty three, which is still a pretty significant amount of money. And you could argue that they're just thinning the herd and the stronger surviving the way it goes in capitalism.
Speaker 2: But here's the problem. In California knows this too.
Speaker 4: It's been a huge problem because the rosy rosy promise is made to Californians in Colorados alike. Even after legalization, illicit growers and sellers thrived, even right in Pueblo. Last year, they accounted for seventy percent of the US market, according to research companies. The black market dealers, unlike licensed ones, face neither taxes nor red tape, so they're more efficient and they're cheaper, and it's bad for your brain.
Speaker 1: That's interesting, man, if you're counting on enough people smoking enough pot to you know, make your schools great and everything like that, that's just that's an interesting thing.
Speaker 4: It is, and it's probably not a sustainable way to run a society.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: Nationwide, only twenty seven percent of legal cannabis businesses are profitable, which is two percent just three years ago.
Speaker 2: Did not know that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, investment is dried up, restructurings are rising, and in Pueblo, sentiment about legal pot is swung the other way, fueling a backlash against the county's embrace of the industry. And again, it's kind of complicated and a lot of nuance to it, but it's just it's not nearly the dream it was sold to be.
Speaker 2: So I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: And the one The one aspect you should understand, it's kind of intuitive, is that if it's legal, enforcing laws against the illegal stuff becomes so complicated because you know, half of it, sixty percent of it, depending on where you are, is legal. And so what are the cups supposed to do if they see a bunch of guys smoking pot?
Speaker 1: Right? First of all, you put that cone on my head again, I'm gonna shoot you again.
Speaker 2: That's our deal.
Speaker 1: Secondly, Elon did a wide ranging interview Tesla's getting attacked all over the country. A bunch of stuff on that stick around, maybe.
Speaker 2: To get Luke colmbs Man.
Speaker 1: When he's saying this with Tracy Chapman, it says Granny's last year or country music Orge worry of it.
Speaker 2: That was awesome, dude.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So this I want you to listen to this and tell me if you understand what this is. Luke colmbs giant country star, two time entertainer year blah blah blah blah blah, one of my favorite country singers currently and.
Speaker 2: Doesn't look like an underwear model. God i'd say not, big old boy.
Speaker 1: But he's got this weird medical condition he talked about yesterday on the News and I don't even understand it.
Speaker 2: I watched it twice.
Speaker 1: Just listen to a little of this country music star Luke HOLMBS revealing he's been living with a condition known as purely obsessional obsessive compulsive disorder.
Speaker 7: The variant that I have is particularly wicked because you there's no outward manifestation of it right, Like you're saying, the flicking of the light switch is all going on in here for me, the flicking of the light switch for someone.
Speaker 2: Else, you can see that going on. So for someone like myself, you don't even know what's going on. I'd be going on right now.
Speaker 1: Do you understand what the hell that meant? I mean, because it doesn't. They don't explain it more as okay, explain it to me. Then I didn't get it.
Speaker 4: Oh, It's just he becomes obsessed with certain thoughts and can't get past them in the same way as somebody who has a different sort of OCD has to drive around the block three times, or or flip the light switch, or believes that they killed somebody on the drive in and has to retrace the root.
Speaker 2: It's just okay, just manifests itself differently.
Speaker 1: Like so, so I was misled by the light switch thing.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: So I know some people with OCD. You can't ever go to sleep because you think, did I turn the light off downstairs? I'll go check again, yeah, And then you get back back up in bed you think did I turn it off?
Speaker 2: I mean I just checked, but I'm not sure, and it drives you nuts.
Speaker 8: But he's saying, well, I know somebody with a similar thing where they are were plagued by recurring thoughts of.
Speaker 4: Terrible things happening and or doing terrible things. Oh wow, to the point that it was scary.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: He said, it's debilitating, and he's had it since he was a little kid. Probably how he ended up, you know, turning toward music like a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Do we have a.
Speaker 1: Friend, remember Corey we used to work with. He collected quarters in a giant jar in his apartment. All quarters he'd throw.
Speaker 2: In his jar. He'd been doing it forever and he had it's tremendous eye.
Speaker 1: But he would think that there might be a nickel in that jar where he's like in bed, and he would have to dump out the entire jar and go through it and make sure there's not a nickel. In there, they're all quarters put him back in there. Then he'd get back in bed and like, am I sure it checked it correctly? Oh? So thank god I don't have that. I got other things, but I don't have that. Yeah, yeah, awful.
Speaker 4: We worked with the people are able to talk about that more, you know, and get help for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We worked with a guy I had really bad OCD, Jeff Bell. I mean he was public about it. He wrote a book about it. We interviewed him about.
Speaker 2: It, really interesting book. Yeah, yeah, we worked him for years.
Speaker 1: I didn't know he had OCD until he left, actually, but I do remember coming out of the bathroom one time. He was waiting for the bathroom and I come out the door and he said, did you hit a very.
Speaker 2: Little voice, did you wash your hands? What do you mean?
Speaker 1: I didn't hear? Did you wash your hands? His OCD was just so worried that I hadn't washed my hands, which I may have not, I don't know. But yeah, uh, elon with quite the interview yesterday interesting in a number of ways, including the way Tesla's being attacked, the way he's getting an endless death threat, and he's worried some nut job is going to hear these hitler and take him out, not understanding he's just trying to cut government bureaucracy anyway, a bunch of stuff on the way.
Speaker 2: I hope you can stay here, armstrong and getty.
Speaker 9: Entitlements is the wrong word. If you pay into something, you are investing in your future, your money, so in the expectation you'll get.
Speaker 2: It back after you retire.
Speaker 9: Any attempt as I think Trump knows, to mess with that is political dynamite. Elon Musk is as political standing in this town is falling almost as fast as Tesla's share price. He is an albatross around Trump's neck.
Speaker 1: Is Elon Musk and albatross around Trump's neck. Elon in a wide ranging interview which we're going to play for a little bit of coming up, but mentioned entitlements is what we got to cut. So there's now an other reason for the people that hated Elon to hate him. As you're hearing it affecting people's attitudes towards Tesla in this report, Elon.
Speaker 5: Must jump into politics is not drawing backlash, but Tesla takedown protests across the country. Tesla owners had become targets too. It was right here, like doctor Kumate Jarrus who found a profane sticker on his cyber truck.
Speaker 10: Three guys came out of the car and just pointed the metal finger started screaming at me.
Speaker 5: So you're going to miss the car.
Speaker 2: It's a great car.
Speaker 10: I will miss the car.
Speaker 2: I will miss the car.
Speaker 10: But your principles are I think for now, principles have to take priority.
Speaker 5: Bavic Schokreon has owned his Tesla since twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I was a big believer. I felt like this is somebody who cares and a company that's doing, you know, cool things, and just within an election cycle, it all kind of turned on its head.
Speaker 4: It's probably worth pointing out, I, Judy and I have a couple of cars. I don't have the slightest idea what the CEOs of those companies think about anything, right Dog versus Cat, Beetles, Stone Coage, free Market.
Speaker 1: I got no idea, no kidding. Oh yeah, I love this car, but you know, principles have to take priority. What what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: You know you could absolutely argue Elon Musk has brought this upon himself in the same way that you know Sears Roebuck never had talking garments for transgender little kids like Target trotted out.
Speaker 2: But what would say you drive a Oh no, I'm sorry, because that's the person, not the product. Anyway.
Speaker 1: Go on, say you're a person of the right and you drive a Chevy truck, for instance, what would the CEO have to do before you'd actually sell your truck and get a different vehicle?
Speaker 2: Higher Dylan mulvaney as a spokesperson.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a lot different selling a truck, you like, I mean, because you start moving cars around, you lose lots of money really really fast. It's not like switching beer brands. Now I'm gonna drink cors Light instead.
Speaker 4: Right, right, Well, the interesting thing is that if you separate Elon Musk and Trump from the conversation and you just bring up the things he is doing, and I think he actually addresses that. I don't want to steal his thunder, but it's enormously popular eliminating waste and fraud and abuse. Who's against that exactly? I'd love to hear your argument, don't you see? Fraud runs the economy.
Speaker 1: As I said at the beginning of the show, I think I'm gonna get a cyberbeast with a personalized license plate.
Speaker 2: That says doge.
Speaker 1: I just love the idea of driving around a giant middle finger to people who are supporting government waste. That's your position, Okay, feel free to go ahead and stick with that, you moron.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's this is not like, it's not even like the trans issue. It's just who's for government waste?
Speaker 4: I see a crowd of beefy, angry university women surrounding you and pounding you with They're mighty modern, radicalized angry. Never had a boyfriend fists.
Speaker 1: Seriously, if if Tesla becomes the political middle finger to big government people, I've never I don't know if I've purchased or not purchased things based on politics.
Speaker 2: Man, I love it.
Speaker 4: Well, what four years after it was a giant virtue signal for being a green energy dreamer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that guy you just heard, he's been driving Tesla since twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: He got in at.
Speaker 1: The very beginning when it really was was unwieldy, and but was gonna stick to it because a climate change, don't you know whatever. So here's Elon being asking is interview yesterday about how things how he's become a lightning rondo, among other things.
Speaker 6: I mean the ways important in entitlement spending.
Speaker 2: Which is this is forty we want forty.
Speaker 11: They're setting fire to various Tesla charging stations near Boston. Shots were fired at a Tesla dealership in Oregon. Various non violence.
Speaker 6: What's fired?
Speaker 2: Not a metaphor? Notts fired?
Speaker 11: Yes, downtown New York marching, marching against the Tesla's showroom. Your stock is way down. You've been criticized left and right.
Speaker 2: But look on the right side. I mean, what are you doing this?
Speaker 6: Always look on the right side of life.
Speaker 11: Yes, But besides that, yes, I mean, what motivates you to do this?
Speaker 2: First was the opera Good?
Speaker 6: It's tough sledding, Yeah, it is tough sledding.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And he goes on to talk about how many death threats he's getting.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: Twitter got hacked yesterday.
Speaker 1: He says it was the Ukrainians, although how do you know where it came from?
Speaker 2: Why would they try to enrage Elon Musk.
Speaker 1: I don't know whose starlink system sustains them, but he's getting tons of death threats every single day.
Speaker 2: And he said, and I thought this was interesting.
Speaker 1: One of the reasons they're posting online all the departments that they want to cut or waste that they're finding. Is you know, which of these do you not agree with? You don't agree that this program is blah blah, Well, let's discuss that and all that sort of stuff. And he's concerned that somebody's just gonna hear he's hitler who doesn't pay attention to this stuff, and will want to take him out, which absolutely could happen. I'm sure with his money, he's got some pretty tremendous security, but he'll have to live in fear of being in any sort of public place the rest of his life.
Speaker 2: Because of this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's practically a Salmon Rushti case at this point, absolutely demonized.
Speaker 1: And you know, and probably by extension maybe he is any of his fifteen kids and that sort of thing, which really really sucks. But what got him going on this in the first place? At DOJE, I thought this answer was good.
Speaker 6: I mean, factly, I can't believe I'm here doing this. It's kind of bizarre, but I kind of think that the Yeah, we've got this enormous federal budget deficit, and it's a true trillion dollar deficit. It keeps growing, our interest payments are higher than our defense department budget. That's I think was the real wake up call for me was looking at seeing that the interest payments the national debt exceeded the defense department budget, and that was only growing over time, which meant if we didn't do something about this, then there won't be any money for anything, We'll just be servicing debt.
Speaker 11: You've had some business experience, I'm kidding, but yeah, you know about all this stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean really, I just don't want America to go bankrupt.
Speaker 2: That is one hundred true.
Speaker 4: What percentage of Americans do you think know that that our interest lost, not our debt, just the interest on the debt is greater than our defense spending.
Speaker 2: Is it ten percent wouldn't be a lot.
Speaker 1: But I do think a lot of people know that we're on an unsustainable path.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people know that. A lot of voters know that.
Speaker 1: Anyway, and just are willing to ignore it, which is worse than not knowing it. The fact that you do know it and think, eh, deal with it next election, or my kids will deal with it, or I don't know what you're thinking.
Speaker 4: What percentage of voters do you think, no, we're on an unsustainable path.
Speaker 1: God, I would think at this point half half to don't they? I mean, you're really not paying attention.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: The politicians don't really tell them, Mike. Most politicians, politicians who lose in primaries tell them, but the politicians that actually get elected aren't saying it out loud. Mike Johnson today, Speaker of the House, came out and he had to because Elon brought up in titlements yesterday. Mike Johnson had to come out as a Speaker of the House today say no, although no, there's continuing resolution to keep the government open. We gotta let you know entitlements are not in that at all, no entitlement reform. He had to calm people down that we might be adults.
Speaker 4: Right, I think there you also have to factor in the number of people who know that we're on an unsustainable path, but are so because people believe what they want to believe. They believe that it can be fixed by tinkering around.
Speaker 2: The edges of the budget.
Speaker 1: Right, that's true. That's true of the people who think this is a problem. A good chunk of them think as soon as the billionaires have to pay their fair share.
Speaker 4: Sure, or we cut out the waste in medicare that'll pay for it.
Speaker 2: What was the other thing?
Speaker 4: Oh, I would love to talk to Mike Johnson, either you know, off the record, or maybe I strap him to a chair and jab him with some sodium penthal or something. But I wonder if I could get him to say or if he believes in his heart Joseph, the only way you can reform entitlements is to lie about it. The only way you can get in power and do what needs to be done to save this country's fiscal heinee, is to say you're not going to and that's the plan. If you were even close to honest, you would never be in office.
Speaker 1: Well I get that, but that implies they're going to do something about it, so.
Speaker 2: I know that's that's Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the being honest they are they are when it is a cataclysm, right, I think that's the honesty is like, look, we're the country is not going to deal with this until.
Speaker 2: We are in trouble, actually in trouble. Yeah, it's just the fact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, I want to I want to get this on because I thought this was a pretty good Another clip that I wish everybody in the United States would hear Elon talking about this.
Speaker 6: What actually happens here is you've got this this through vast federal bureaucracy, and then you've got a very thin layer on top of the of the politically appointed officials. And what tests happen is that the bureaucracy, frankly is in control and they largely ignore the politically appointed people.
Speaker 2: Why should the bureaucracy. I'm sure you best have seen that.
Speaker 11: I've lived with this twice. I worked for Reagan many years ago, and I worked for Trump in the first term. Yeah, it's like a permanent bureaucracy, I might it's a permanently liberal bureaucracy, Yes, very much so. And it doesn't it's it's not a bureaucracy that necessarily enforces or implements presidential policy.
Speaker 2: They don't.
Speaker 6: In fact, they tried their best to thwart presidential policy.
Speaker 2: Speaking of what percentage of people know?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 1: How many people know that there is a permanent DC that runs most of stuff and our whole now the people have spoken and we're going to get our way. Thing is just a tiny little veneer on top of that permanent DC right, which is why I have always been against the term deep state, because it's kind of become you know, conspiracy qan noni ish and some of the stuff some of those folks talk about is it does happen, but in terms of the foreign policy establishment and their priorities. But I think it's much more accurate and just useful to describe it as the permanent bureaucracy.
Speaker 4: The machinery of government is human beings who, unlike a machine, can resist the people trying to run the machine.
Speaker 2: And they do it over and over again.
Speaker 4: The Elon Musk is an unelected are you effing kidding me?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Well, the Democrats know it, though they have on their side this massive, hundreds of thousands of people strong army of we're not going to let the Conservatives change anything. Every Secretary state runs into it, Every Secretary of Defense runs into it. Once again, read the Robert Gates' book Duty. That was the name of it was yeah, yeah, where he is the secretary of Defense served under both parties, couldn't get crap done because his own department would stein his every attempt. And the idea that we will bring on some sort of national disaster by trying to tame that beast and reduce its bloat and wastefulness.
Speaker 1: Seriously, how could you be in favor of it? What an interesting period we're going through. The world's richest man has become a political lightning rod trying to like overhaul our government. Kind is just been an advisor and people are attacking him.
Speaker 2: I have no idea the tariffs.
Speaker 4: While the geopolitics, both trade and of warfare are changing fundamentally, it looks like, yeah, spicy.
Speaker 1: Times his seed oil the new Hitler, among other things we could talk about.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned.
Speaker 12: The seed oil is one of the components of process foods, and that is you know, all the science and that algebraz has food the principal culprit in this extraordinary explosion the epidemic we have of chronic disease.
Speaker 1: At some point, I suppose we should talk about seed oil the Hitler of foods currently Wow, But that's a discussion for another time.
Speaker 2: Perhaps Next Hour.
Speaker 4: If you don't get Next Hour, grab the podcast, subscribe to it Armstrong and Getty on demand. So I touched on this way earlier in the show, but I thought we could play a fun, fun game. This is part of the lecture series at the University of California Berkeley Social Sciences School, which are not sciences at all, including Decolonizing Gender and sexualities, epistomes, subjects, rationalities, artivisms, practices, and movements.
Speaker 1: You can take a class or go to a lecture called Decolonizing Gender.
Speaker 2: What the hell gets even better than that? And here's the game we're gonna play. Now.
Speaker 4: If you're driving, we urge you to exercise caution, but play along with us. Now, count on your fingers the number of terms you either don't know what that means or phrases that you can't imagine what they mean. And we'll say play along at home, Katie. I would love for you to do this if you have time. They lecturers Theory of Water, hosted by Leanne Betsa Somaki Simpson. I apologize Leanne if I have Missprenashim.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 4: Theory of Water uses Mishi Sagi ignish Nabi consciousness to dismantle and think beyond the present moment in the face of ongoing genocides, extinct glaciers, police killings, children alone in cages at borders, the resurgence of fascist states, and a Dying Planet, Simpson asks what does it mean? As Rebecca Belmore asks us in Wave Sound to listen to water?
Speaker 2: What does it mean?
Speaker 4: As Dion Brand writes through her diaspora consciousness and by inventorying the quotidian disasters of our time in her epic.
Speaker 2: Poem no or to quote, Believe in Water.
Speaker 4: Using Nishnabi origin stories, poetry, and thinking alongside writers and artists, these essays turn to water as a generative space for world making against empire, within the network of life that makes up this planet. One more sentence, theory of Water immerses the reader into water as a liminal space resistant to regiment, and considers future formations for life beyond our current collective imaginings.
Speaker 2: Well, I would have to be.
Speaker 1: A circus freak with seven fingers on each hand to count.
Speaker 4: Do you have the slightest idea what you would hear in that talk?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: And the sort of person that would gleefully go to that There's no way they understand all that stuff, Katie.
Speaker 2: I, dude, I have no idea what you just said, hands toes, yeah, nostrils the.
Speaker 4: I think it's well, Jack to your point, and that's part of the woke thing. Is they or their intellectual overlords invent all of this vocabulary and then the kids throw it around and angrily lecture you if you don't understand the liminal space resistant to regiment. And but some of some of the words, like equity to the untrained ear sound like well, that sounds like equality. Our whole country is based on that, So I guess I'm in favor of this. It's how they win some of these arguments just by perverting the language. But yeah, evidently like whack a doodle poets are going to jabber about water. That's as close as I can come to having any idea what that event is.
Speaker 1: You know, knock that out of the park, as if they had Kamala Harris teach that class.
Speaker 2: Oh that reminds me, do we have time for this?
Speaker 4: I don't think we do, all right, brand new Kamala Harris clip cool you know James, Next hour, James, He says, the point of those things is that you don't know it.
Speaker 2: Then they can kind of control the conversation. Yeah you can't.
Speaker 4: How do you argue against water is a liminal space resistant to regiment?
Speaker 2: Where are you gonna start com.
Speaker 1: We do four hours every day If you miss an hour or a segment, get our podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 2: Our four on the Way Armstrong and Getty