Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff You Should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh, and there's Chuck and Jerry's here too, and this is a good old fashioned root and tune, down home episode of Stuff.
Speaker 3: You Should Do.
Speaker 1: Technical difficulties, please stand by.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're a good twenty minutes late, Chuck.
Speaker 1: Man, because it's about to say me, it's not my fault.
Speaker 2: No, it's not your fault. It's the computer's fault, right.
Speaker 1: Not even But who cares about computers? This is I mean, this is probably literally the opposite of computers, because we're talking about plants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I was gonna ask you, old school Chuck, have you ever eaten a plant?
Speaker 1: I love living things, so I do not kill plants and.
Speaker 2: Eat So are you a breathetarian? That's what they are, right, yeah, where you just don't eat.
Speaker 1: No, of course I eat plants, you know, Emily, I would argue it has a plant based diet. Now that I know that a plant based diet doesn't mean that you're vegan or vegetarian. It just and you know, as you'll see, depending on the percentage of the website you look at a lot of people say like you know, it really depends on how much you eat and a certain percentage, like maybe eighty percent of your diet is plant based, and that's easily Emily. She eats vegetables constantly.
Speaker 2: She always has like a radish in her hand.
Speaker 1: No, but there's just her meals. Like her meals she'll cook, Like we try to eat the same stuff, but I don't want to sit down and eat Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower for dinner.
Speaker 2: That's a plant based diet for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she'll throw some chicken in there and some fish, so she's sort of pescatarian plus maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pesca poultry tarian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's a lot of for all this stuff. I didn't know about a third of these probably.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they all seem to fall under the umbrella term, like you said, a plant based diet, so like a vegan diet is a plant based diet, but not all plant based diets are like vegan diets. Yeah, that kind of set up.
Speaker 1: I had never heard of blacktoe vegetarian, which basically means you throw out all the rest, but I'll eat dairy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, understandable. There's also ovo vegetarian. These are terrible names, by the way. Yeah, that means that you include eggs in your vegan diet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not oval that would make even more sense, I think.
Speaker 2: No, it means that you include ovum in your diet. Yeah, but I should say it's not a vegan diet at all, Like you can't have any kind of animal products, Nope, in a vegan diet, not just like meat or dairy or eggs, but like vegan won't eat honey. Yeah, we talked about fig wasps recently. They won't eat figs for that reason.
Speaker 1: I think some vegans I found a lot of support behind vegan saying like a processed wasp part and a thing is fine.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll bet there's some that still won't.
Speaker 1: Oh sure.
Speaker 2: And then there's also lacto ovo vegetarian. You're a vegetarian, but you eat eggs and dairy. There's lacto ovo bacon vegetarian. And then there's what you said, Emily was pescatarian, which is general. I mean you're essentially just you know, you're eating more vegetables than the average person at this point. If you're a pescatarian.
Speaker 1: I think that's right. No comment on what that does to your butt.
Speaker 2: What if you just eat seafood, No.
Speaker 1: If you eat nothing but broccoli and cauliflower all day long.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, not just your butt, but like the well being of people around you too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's it's very good for you. She's a much healthier human than I am.
Speaker 2: Nice, well, not the part that you're not as healthy, but I'm glad that she is.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Of course, one thing we should go out early on is that there's a sort of exhaustive look at how much meat people eat around the world at a certain point or kind of pepper throughout and just for cops purposes. In the United States, we average per capita meat consumption between one hundred and twenty three to one hundred and fifty ish kilograms, depending on where you're looking. So just kind of put that in your in the back, in your back pocket when we start talking about other countries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that really kind of came home to me when I converted it to quarter pounders. Yeah, or in Europe royale with cheese, that's thirteen and thirty two quarter pounders a year. That means you're eating almost four quarter pounders worth of meat a day every year. At one hundred and fifty one point four kilograms.
Speaker 1: Man, if only you could do that and live.
Speaker 2: Right, that's called heaven, my friend.
Speaker 1: So clearly with those kind of numbers that the US is a meat based culture. I mean, plenty of people here do not take part in that kind of thing, obviously, but as you'll see, many cultures around the world historically have plant based diets and still have plant based diets. Depending on who you ask, they might say there's about two billion meat based eaters in the world and about four billion plant based eaters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I mean that's not too bad. They're really holding things up because I mean, if actually that's more than that's the majority. You're saying the majority of the world is plant based.
Speaker 1: I'm saying two billion and four billion. I'm not weighing in on percentages.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, we will go around the world in a minute, but let's go through history for a little bit first. Okay, because plant based diets, especially in the West, they're kind of like a new thing. Maybe they came out of the New Age movement in the seventies and eighties. No, this is really old stuff. In fact, you can make a really good case that plant based diets, especially a flexitarian version, is essentially the default diet of humans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's in some cases were actually in a lot of cases, especially historically speaking, and still in some places today, it's sort of the de facto diet because that's what you have and you may not have the kind of money to like go get really good meat or something like that. So if you look back through time and you go back to say like Ireland in the nineteenth century, before the potato famin, they were eating tons of potatoes there, or a lot of poor people in iron that were like, hey, we can grow potatoes, they have some vitamins and minerals. Maybe we can milk a cow and eat a little pickled herring, but other than that, we're eating lots and lots of potatoes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. This is before the famine, when a potato blight came and when the Irish immigrants really started to come on mass to the United States in the nineteenth century, they were quite surprised at the abundance and availability and cheapness of meat in the United States, and that apparently dates back to colonial times where colonists in well what would become the United States were eating more meat than the average person back in England, Like they were eating essentially the same amount of meat as elites back in the UK. And that's the long standing thing where meat consumption throughout history in most places is associated with higher status and elite status. You're wealthier because it's always been harder to come by. Well, the colonies had a lot more land, so they could grow a lot more livestock and then hence eat a lot more meat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, had a lot more land, asterist, right, and yeah, everyone knows what we mean by that. Yeah. And you know there's who helped us with the original version of this. Was it Libya No Laura all right? The claw Claw, doctor Claw. She dug up a grapt basically about how Italians eat and prior to well, not that long ago, they ate what you would call the Mediterranean diet now, and they just called it what we eat because that's what's around here, the diet. Yeah, exactly, fruit, vegetables, olive oil, lagomes, fish, cereals, not a ton of dairy or meat. But they after I believe after World War Two, they started eating a lot more meat. Before that, it was basically a plant based diet because as you'll see once again, no, no, no choke, they're eating lots of fish. Plant based diet is we're talking about meat here. The fish get a pass. I guess as far as plant based diet goes, it does not mean vegetarian or vegan.
Speaker 2: Right, And Italy followed the same trajectory that most nations do once they reach a certain point of prosperity, meat consumption to start going through the roof. Whereas before in history elite like individual groups of people who are well off or could afford beat, when an entire nation becomes well off enough, they start buying meat. Meat consumption just goes up. So after the war, Italy followed that. And you'll see, like throughout throughout the world, the more prosperous a nation, the higher their meat consumption. Yea, almost, it's almost to a country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which you know, a cynic might say, well, if every nation was prosperous, everyone would just eat tons of meat, and it sounds cynical, but like the data sort of says what you just said, right. You know, if you look at the US in the nineteenth century, they were roundly encouraging the people eat lots and lots of meat. There was a cholera outbreak in eighteen thirty two in the US government said eat more meat and drink more alcohol and lay off the fruits and vegetables, obviously because of cholera, but there was also just this idea in America early on that like, you know, we're well fed and we're well bred because we eat red meat and we growing big here in the States. We're not sitting around eating rice and grains and potatoes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that diet has just spread throughout the world. But again, it doesn't necessarily seem to mean because people are emulating the United States. It just seems like the United States was following a trajectory that other countries are now, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and hey, what a great time to set up where countries are now because remember those numbers I told you about the United States. We're going to walk you around the world. Everybody not in the way back machine. What do we call this when we're just currently go far machine? Yeah, the go far and wide machine. Modern day, Jump in the go far and wide machine and come with us at first to Africa. If you get continent wide, the stat is about sixty five grams. I'm sorry, sixty five kilograms of meat per capita. I wonder about that number because if you break it down per country, South Africa they eat about sixty five point two kilograms compared to let's say, the Democratic Republic of Congo at just over four kilograms. Who's eating more red meat in Africa than South Africa to make that average sixty five?
Speaker 2: I don't know. One thing that I recognized from researching this is that there are so many stats that are so different and estimates that are just so different. And don't understand why it's so hard to track something like meat consumption, Like we've got that so commoditized that I mean, I don't understand how we can't track it. Even for the United States. You rattled off three different estimates for how much meat the United States eats, So who knows, Chuck, Who really knows whether any of these numbers are correct or not?
Speaker 1: Well, no one's ever asked me how much meat I eat. I could skew that. Oh really have you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I get that all the time usually because I have like a big chunk of like steak in my teeth.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I mean like an official study, like I don't know, I know, I'm just kidding do any of that stuff. It's sort of like weird black magic to me. But we do know that generally speaking, West African nations eat a little more meat. It's a little more meat heavy than East African nations. But even in West Africa, that's again, I mean, if the average per capita was sixty five kilograms, that's like less than half the United States per capita.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I'm guessing from what I could tell, the United States leads the world in meat consumption. I'm sure most other countries, depending on where they are, are going to eat a lot less. But again, like you said, Africa is not some single bonolith, it has a bunch of different variation. Asia is the same way. On the whole. Asia eats far less meat compared to one another. Some eat more, some eat less, and you get all sorts of weird little statistical blips that come up from that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. If you look at the top ten countries around the world with the highest rates of vegetarianism, India and Taiwan are on there. So two of the top ten are in Asia. Japan and China. They aren't on the list of top ten percentage vegetarian wise, but they eat a lot less meat than the US at an average per capita consumption under seventy five kilograms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Taiwan's a good example too. It has a very high percentage of vegetarians, but it also has a really high per capita meat consumption too, So it's just basically wacky over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is another like if you look at Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Minimar, Cambodia, Indonesia, and Vietnam, they're all under twenty kilograms and Thailand is it like twenty five and Laos at thirty, So, I mean that's way less than the seventy five average in Japan and China.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would guess Thailand, and I'm not sure about Laos, but I would guess Thailand is wealthier than probably memr or Indonesia. I don't know about Vietnam, but I think a lot of it also has to do with the religious, like what religions are predominant there too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which we'll get in. Well, actually take a break before you do that, but we'll talk about India real quick, because they have the highest proportion of vegetarians in the world, close to forty percent thirty eight percent. Thirty nine percent are vegetarian in India for you know, obvious reasons, and six point six kilograms of meat per capita compared to as many as one hundred and fifty for the US. Yeah, exactly, that's very low.
Speaker 2: It is very low. I say we take a break. We're going to come back to the studio away from the what was it, the far Go far and wide machine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. We're still inventing new ways to travel in you're seventeen.
Speaker 2: It still has that new imaginary machine smell uh Yeah. Anyway, we're going to take a break everybody, and we'll figure out what we're going to talk about next.
Speaker 1: Learn and stuff with Joshua job stuff fu shine up. All right, we're back, and we promised talk of religion because who doesn't love that? But this is religion as it relates to diet, because depending on your religion, there may be a lot of you know, rules and restrictions on what they say you should eat because of a bunch of reasons. It can sometimes it shows like purity. Sometimes it's like no, it shows how dedicated and faithful you are. Sometimes it's like, hey, you get at following rules, don't eat this on this day, and let's see how you do with that. But for whatever reason, there are plenty of religions that have rules sort of surrounding meat, for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some of the most famous ones are kosher. Yeah, that's a big one where you have to actually separate certain kinds of food, like you separate meat, separate dairy. There's also like restrictions and guidelines on how animals are slaughtered. So it's not particularly vegetarian by nature keeping kosher is, but it makes you so much more mindful that a lot of people just eventually end up being vegetarian just by following a kosher diet. There's also halal is very similar. It has all sorts of permissions and bands and stuff like that on what animals can be eaten. But it's different in that like there's no shell fish alloutter birds of prey, but you can eat rabbits. But they're both similarish in that you really have to pay attention to what you're eating if you are a genuine adherent of this religious diet that's being prescribed to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you're wondering, like, well, how does that affect the rate of vegetarianism in Israel, they are second behind India. That's not the only factor, of course, but I think the highest percentage of veganism is in Israel too, which is Yeah. I don't know why that surprised me, but it did.
Speaker 2: Okay, good noted there's I think. So this is another thing too, like a lot of people just end up being default vegetarians because of their religious diet. And another good example is the Ethiopian Orthodox Christian Church, which we talked about in our Holly Selassie episode. I think they have two hundred days a year that are considered fast days where you just can't eat meat but you can eat plants. So I mean, for all intents and purposes, you're at least the majority of the year of vegetarian if you're Eastern Ethiopian Orthodox.
Speaker 1: I wonder one hundred and sixty five days a year they just party down on some steak probably what Seventh Day Adventist. It's not a requirement to be a vegetarian, but they're like, it's not a bad way to live. They kind of endorse it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Remember they grew out of that whole William Keith and John Kellogg movement of the nineteenth century.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they endorse the movement generally, but about thirty six percent end up lacto ovo vegetarians, and then sixteen percent I'm sorry, an additional sixteen percent eat plant based diet with maybe a little fish, maybe a little bit of meat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Buddhism is very connected to vegetarianism, like a straightforward religious decree like kosher. Instead, it's linked to nonviolence, right, So if you're your religion forbids violence, you can't really cut the head off of a chicken and eat it very easily. People still do in Buddhist countries, but it's much more or it's much less common and frequent, and in fact, apparently in Japan from six seventy five to eighteen seventy two, meat was essentially banned in that country because of the influence of Buddhism and Confucianism.
Speaker 1: You gotta weight on that chicken to die of natural causes.
Speaker 2: Just follow it around like a buzzard.
Speaker 1: He's not looking so good.
Speaker 2: He looks a little pekin Hindu is.
Speaker 1: I love that word, by the way, good I'm going I used. I heard that word last night on the TV show The Pit, and I realized, I just don't use it much.
Speaker 2: You know what, I like? That's similar. It's peckish.
Speaker 1: I like peckish as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: Maybe our musical duo should be peaked and peckish.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that is that you just won the band name contest, Chuck for all time.
Speaker 1: But everyone would be like who's peaked and who's peckish? Like I think Josh is peaked and Chuck is peckish.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't matter. We can both be would It would depend on our mood on any given day?
Speaker 1: Or perhaps we are both peaked and peckish. Yeah, at all times. We're always hungry and we're always not looking so good. Hinduism, at almost eighty percent, eats a plant based diet, but they again, it's not required. It's just like, hey, why don't you do this? That kind of thing. Heavily suggested.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah, it's also I mean, especially since the Hindu nationalist ruling party took over the Baratiya Janata Party BJP, they have been enforcing like really strict rules that are Hindu in nature against eating meat, so much so that people have been beaten. I think one person at least has been lynched. For eating meat or being associated with the meat trade, specifically beef, because cows are considered sacred in Hinduism, and also similarly in India, vegetarianism is linked to social status, in basically complete contradiction of what it's like in say the West, where eating meat has long been associated with being an elite or having high status. Vegetarianism is in India.
Speaker 1: Apparently all right, flip loped it. I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And if you're like, wow, eighty percent of Hindus are vegetarian, it's pretty impressive. Prepare for this. Jans. These are the people who are so against herting or killing anything that they have little hand dust rooms that they carry with them to dust off seats before they sit down so they don't actually accidentally kill a bud. Ninety two percent of them and fifty nine percent of Sikhs in India are all vegetarians.
Speaker 1: And I guess eight percent of Jains are bad Jaans.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 2: So I mean, like, how would you show up to like the Jain meeting and show your face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or show up to a Jaine party with a raka ribs. That's probably not it's probably frowned upon.
Speaker 2: I would say, I would think so.
Speaker 1: All right, so if and of course I'm kidding no offense to any Jane's out.
Speaker 2: There, No, of course not. I'm sure they'd show up and be like natural causes everybody be all check.
Speaker 1: So, if you're gonna eat a plant based diet, it can look at like a It can look many different ways depending on what you're into. We found some information from Harvard Health. And obviously one thing that you're gonna do is eats of veggies like Emily does. They say, like, hey, fill half your plate up with veggies and vary the color. Don't eat just like a bunch of green veggies. Like eat veggies of all stripes and colors.
Speaker 2: Get you some anthracyanins, why don't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also the way so these are like if you want to start to get into vegetarianism, these are some easy ways to kind of slide into it. Another one is changing the way that you think about meat. Rather than it being the center or the star of the meal, just kind of put it to the side, like it doesn't necessarily have to be you know, a thumb sized piece of steak, but I mean, if it more you know, kind of evenly resembled the grain or the greens on your plate. That would make that would make a lot more sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll have the cream spinach, side of bructli and a thumb of steak.
Speaker 2: Right, it's funny, so I used thumb. So have you ever heard that thing about a portion of meat being no bigger than the palm of your hand.
Speaker 1: For like, that's the healthy way to eat meat. Yes, I don't think I've heard that, but oh okay, I could see that.
Speaker 2: So not just that. If you cup your hands that you're serving of fruit and vegetables, and then your thumb is your measure of fats like a nut, butter or something like that.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: There's a name for all this. It's called the zimbabwe hand jive.
Speaker 1: I can I've done that dance, but I did not know that was a eating scale.
Speaker 2: Well, so this guy in nineteen ninety three, doctor Kazim Mauji, came up with this way of doing it and it's been widely adopted. But I had no idea that's what it was called.
Speaker 1: It's a great name. What I do We host a lot of especially in the spring and summertime, of people when we go to the lake and just at our house here we have we throw dinner parties. We just do a lot of that kind of stuff. And aside from being exhausting, one thing, I'm just kidding, it's actually a lot of fun. But one thing, yeah, I do. And this goes along with like how you think about meat and how much meat you have is I don't cook up, like, you know, twenty chicken breast. If there's twenty people there, I cook up a bunch of you know, whatever kind of cut of chicken and or steaks. Sometimes they'll do a couple of meats and I will just I will slice it all up on a big platter and then you can just get a portion of something rather than saying, like, here's a gigantic chicken breast on your plate that you now feel responsible for. Right, And people seem to really like that, you know, like maybe I'll have a little bit of this and a little bit of that and then the rest is our veggie sides.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's a tip from Chucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you should just set up a carving station and ask to see each person's thumb, right, Yeah, that'd save you a bunch of money totally. So let's see what else Oh. Another good one is to choose different fats, avocados, olive oil, stuff like that, and then just cook at least one vegetarian meal per week. Dip your toe in the Yeah, and if you start doing these kind of things, it's actually really easy to find yourself down the road, like just doing it without thinking about it, and more and more meals throughout the week become vegetarian. Because we'll talk in a minute about why people do this, but a lot of people stop eating as much meat for health reasons or because they want to lose weight. And if you just kind of start, like you said, dip your toe in like this, it just becomes kind of second nature over time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can get used to something like that. And I think what you'll find if you think you need meat because like it's more filling, that's just not true. You get plenty full eating all that other stuff, So you know, you can give it a whirl. I do that stuff every now and then. Whole grains at breakfast is great. This is basically again what Emily does. A lot of oatmeal, buckwheat, barley, quinoa eat like a horse, but not as much as a horse.
Speaker 2: This is a big one. For me, chuck is eating fruit for dessert because I don't ever eat something and like a meal of any kind and not think like, okay, no, I have to have something sweet. Oh really, I just can't not do it. My brain's just as wired that way I am too. Yeah, okay, So if you just eat like an apple or some strawberries or something like that, it just short circuits that. It does it for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have just retrained my brain to where I don't seek that. And it's not like I was eating dessert every night. Like the only time I literally have dessert, like a dessert is kind of either if a bunch of people are out to eat and it's an occasion or maybe on vacation or something like that. But it's not like even eating out in a restaurant. We never eat dessert like that. But I have found just one square of dark chocolate scratches that itch in a nice way.
Speaker 2: It always feels like a punishment to me because it's just one, just one, and it's dark chocolate.
Speaker 1: Oh you don't like dark chocolate.
Speaker 2: It's fine, but it's not going to short circuit that dessert.
Speaker 1: You know what. I used to not be into dark chocolate. But I la la la love it now.
Speaker 2: Yeah good, I'm glad. I'm glad to hear that. I'm going to cut the legs out from under you in a little while then.
Speaker 1: But I don't do that every night, but I'll still, you know, when I want that, When I find myself like God, I gotta have the sweet thing the night, I'll do one square, sprinkle a couple of little dabs of sea salt on top, and that that does it for me.
Speaker 2: My God, why don't you live in Brooklyn?
Speaker 1: I know, because I don't have a manny store. Greens too, obviously, like leafy vegetables, salads. Just eat as much stuff like I love a salad. Emily make you know. She grows that stuff and prepares fresh salads, makes her own salad dressing. She's gotten more into cooking. She never used to do stuff like that at all, but she's that. I found myself eating a lot more salad these days.
Speaker 2: Right. And then the last one is, after you do all these things, eat more vegetables, eat a vegetarian meal once a week, eat a salad for dinner. This is actually the key to the whole thing. Go to bed really early so that your normal breakfast will come much more quickly.
Speaker 1: I don't eat breakfast. But yeah, that was a joke, by the way, I know, I get it.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, thanks for the laugh.
Speaker 1: Support.
Speaker 2: You want to take a break and then come back and talk about why people become vegetarian vegan? Sure, okay, Well we'll be right back again.
Speaker 1: Learn and stuff with Joshua job.
Speaker 3: Stuff you shine up, Okay, Chuck.
Speaker 2: I think I promised before we left that we talk about why people become vegetarian. I already said health reasons, which we'll get into more in a little while. But a lot of people just do it because it's just healthier. Like if you want to eat healthier, most people don't like double or triple down on fried chicken, like you instead start turning to plants, you know, like people just start eating more plants, And it's almost intuitive. I don't think it even has anything to do with the nutritionists set in the United States convincing people like plants are healthy. I just feel like we just intuitively know that that is healthier than eating like a steak or again fried chicken, which I feel like there's a place for fried chicken.
Speaker 1: I'm not knocking that I mean, as you know, it's my favorite food, and I just you know, I heard you got to pick and choose of that stuff. But it's not removed from my life, thank goodness. But you're gonna get lots of vitamins and minerals and fiber and antioxidants in your veggies if you eat legumes you eat if you're a vegetarian, you probably eat lots of lagomes and chick be's and lima beans and stuff like that. Soy, you're gonna get lots of protein, amino acids, lots of fiber and antioxidants there and also no cholesterol, which is you know, I have cholesterol problems genetically speaking, so and a lot of people do. So that's a good way to get your cholesterol down.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And there's a lot of variety in just legumes alone, Like rather than do you want the chicken or the fish, there's something like twenty thousand species of legumes. And I didn't know this. I ran across this chuck. There's a category of food called neglected and underutilized legomes.
Speaker 1: The status lagom have.
Speaker 2: An acronym for n ul's right, And there's apparently a ton of legrooms that are found around the world that are known to like local cuisine that they're just waiting to be adopted to kind of make the plant based diet even more varied.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's twenty thousand. I probably have had five. Yeah, actually maybe more, but no, no, no.
Speaker 2: I no, I know it to mean, Yeah, I just had a night. So one of the one of the ones I found was the Bombara ground nut. You would make a trillion dollars if instead of a mayonnaise operation you opened a Bombara ground nut operation in Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean you would make so much cash, dude, overnight.
Speaker 1: People just like saying ground nut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that Bombara really sells the ground nut if you.
Speaker 1: Ask me, Yeah, for sure. Obviously. You know, we've mentioned the concerns with red meat, but with beef and pork, people have been you know, calling for years for less of that in your diet, and you know, health practitioners and doctors because obviously you know, heart attack, stroke, cancer, all the things that can lead you in that direction once you eat too much red meat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the medical consensus consensus is and remains so that eating red meat, too much red meat is bad for you. Like it just leads to all sorts of negative health outcomes like stroke and heart attack, heart disease, things like that. The problem is, despite that consensus, studies still come out fairly regularly that question that idea, that say no, it's not necessarily true, and they usually get shouted down, but it's enough that it makes you, like, some people question that. I feel like because the medical consensus is that for now it's probably okay to kind of follow that philosophy that less meat is healthier than more meat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. Another big, big reason is is animal welfare and just maybe your moral values as a human. That is a lot of people switch over to vegetarianism or veganism because the modern factory farming system in the United States is a horror show and everybody knows this. Some people some people do it anyway, but it's a big reason, you know, Like vegans are like, no, all animals have a right to life and a right to freedom, and we're not doing it right here in the United States, so I'm not going to take part in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a whole subcategory of veganism called ethical vegans, and I think that they could shoulder their own episode because the whole philosophy behind it, and like the way that they live their lives. It's really interesting. And something I ran across that they counter is the idea of carnism eating meat not being normal and we just take it for normal. And they they questioned that, They're like, who said that eating meat is normal? And that that's like why people why people like me can feel bad when I pass like a truck full of cows on their way to the slaughter on the highway and then still go eat like a cheeseburger that same day. That we just kind of have this idea that carnism is normal, and vegans are like, no, that's not true. So I found that fascinating. I kind of wanted to get into it a little more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, I'm not gonna tell that story. Mindful eating is another one, which is I mean exactly what it sounds like, just instead of like falling into a pattern and I just I'll just eat that because that's what I've always eaten, or you know, grabbed that thing that's quick and brainless to put in my mouth.
Speaker 2: Grab it by the horns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to really just have a heightened awareness of what you're eating what's going in your body and every impact from your health to what it means to the world and to that animal. Just being more mindful is another reason that people will go to a plant based on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's how people get to that from like religious mandated diets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll put environmentalism in its own category because there's a whole section on that. But that's another reason.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's pick up health outcomes. Let's dive into a little more.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: One of the things that people figure out pretty quickly when they become vegans in particular, is that you can get really unhealthy really quick just eating food that qualifies as vegan food. There's a ton of process vegan food out there. A lot of times, a lot of sweetener, including just sugar, is added, and just basically eating packaged food or even French fries as long as they're cooked in vegetable oil, those are vegan. And everyone knows that French fries aren't really good for you. So there is like a whole kind of blind alley that you have to watch out for when you get into veganness them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not a vegan, but it's I can still say you know, word of caution if you go that route that you have to be more active in meal planning and because what you really want to do is eat whole foods and eat real foods. So if you're like I'm going to go vegan and just sort of buy the ultra process stuff that is technically vegan, you're not doing yourself any health favors. I mean, you know you're still doing and you know, as far as your moral values are concerned, you're doing right by that. But you want good outcomes all the way around, So just lean toward whole foods and the Mediterranean diet, which again people around the Mediterranean just call it eating that has roundly been shown over the years to be kind of the one of the ideal diets that you can lean toward.
Speaker 2: I would say the ideal diet. I mean as far as health outcomes go, like I can't imagine how much this diet has been studied and result after results shows that like some kinds of cancers, diabetes, cognitive decline, cardiovascular disease, like these things are all lower in people who eat like a Mediterranean diet, like that's just what they eat than people who don't, especially regular meat.
Speaker 1: Eaters, Yeah, for sure. As far as the endividual, you know, we'll kind of go through a little bit about like who's deficient in what depending on what you eat. If you're looking at protein and saturated fat, you're going to have obviously, if you're a meat eater, you're going to have the highest intake among anyone, and the lowest is going to be among vegans. That's just makes a lot of sense. If you're a vegetarian or a fish eater, you're gonna be somewhere in the middle. And vegetarians are more likely than meat or fish eaters to have as a result, inadequate protein intake, and vegans even more likely to have inadequate protein intake, I think, more than vegetarians.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a long scene in Chestnut in like the I guess I don't want to say bodybuilding communities, people who work out like hardcore that you can't possibly be ripped as a vegan and our stuff you should know. Listener Doyle Wolfgang van Frankenstein, the guitarist for the Misfits. He is just vegan to the core and he is totally ripped, and in fact, he has his own protein powder called vegan monster protein where you can get ripped yourself if you want to and still be a vegan.
Speaker 1: I think ripped vegan is that's got to already be a band name.
Speaker 2: Oh I wouldn't. Yeah, maybe that's his sideban his folk side band.
Speaker 1: Ripped vecan. You might have a vitamin B twelve deficiency if you are a vegan, because plants don't have B twelve. I think fifty two percent of vegans are B twelve deficient, seven percent of vegetarians, and if you're a meat eater, you have a less than one percent of being B twelve deficient.
Speaker 2: And that's a big deal too. I mean, like that is a well known problem for vegans and vegetarians because B twelve is used for red blood cell production, cell wall production, nerve function, DNA production, and it's just not in plants. It's in meat, it's in fish, it's in dairy. So you really have to pay attention to that and basically take B twelve supplements all the time to make sure you don't become deficient because it's not good.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. Here's one thing though, and this is something that was controlled for BMI. Even if you're a vegetarian or vegan, you have a kind of a remarkably a remarkable statistical risk or higher risk I guess, of getting bone fracture than meat eater, and especially when it comes to your hips, the risk of hip fracture. With vegetarians, you have a twenty five percent higher risk of fracturing your hip as a vegetarian controlling for BMI again, and vegans one hundred and thirty one percent higher chance of hip fracture.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I so part of it is that B twelve deficiency, because B twelve helps produce bone and so bone density. But I also wondered if vegans typically get less protein and therefore have less muscle mass on average. Obviously you can get ripped as a vegan, but not everyone does. If you're more susceptible to falling, like you can lose your balance more easily because you have slightly less muscle mass than a meat eater, and then with less bone density, if you do fall, you're more likely to break a bone.
Speaker 1: Just my Yeah, I wonder, Yeah, yeah, I did mention cancer. You know, I think we all often talk about like heart attack and stroke and stuff like that by eating too much red meat. But cancer is another factor that I sort of briefly mentioned, but if you're a vegetarian or a vegan, you have at ten to eighteen percent lower risk of cancer than meat eaters. Although All calls All calls mortality. That's another good band name. Man, that's three band names.
Speaker 2: All Mortality, Pekish, and peakd All calls.
Speaker 1: See that can't be our band name because I can't even say it. At the end of the show, All cause mortality was not different, which is surprising between vegetarians and meat eaters and vegans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, another thing that surprised me is that vegetarians have a twenty percent higher risk of having a hemorrhagic stroke. So we should say all of this data came from a twenty twenty one analysis of this British cohort of sixty five thousand Brits that have been followed around since the nineties. So they managed to look at twenty thousand vegetarians, so this is a pretty robust study and they found that they have a twenty percent higher risk of stroke. They couldn't they couldn't determine that for vegans. I think they only had like twenty five hundred in this cohort but for stroke at least, they weren't able to figure out how that affects vegan, and you would assume that it would be even an even higher percentage for me. But a hemorrhagic hemorrhagic stroke is where blood vessels in your brain start bleeding. Again, that would make sense because B twelve helps fortify sell walls, and I would think the lack of red blood cell production would have something to do with that too. So I think what we're trying to say the upshot is is it's not just like a slam dunk that you're going to be healthier or your lifetime health outcomes are automatically going to be better. But it's still I mean, it's just if your overall or sorry, if you're all dash cause mortality is going to be the same, then I don't know, I think that kind of makes an argument to eat whichever makes you feel best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just a weird stat Yeah all dash cause Yeah, I don't know. I can't explain that. Maybe someone will have some more information on that. But earlier we did promise an entire section on the invironmental impact of eating animals because that is yet another reason and you know, obviously people have all kinds of reasons, and it's usually a combination of all these things. But we were learning just it's become plainly obvious more and more this isn't the kind of thing. I think that, especially in America, people like to look at a lot in the past, but it seems like in the last like fifteen years or so, people are sounding the alarm like, hey, besides ethical concerns and health and all that other stuff, like raising animals is to eat is kind of a or the way we do it as a disaster for the environment.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So there's a lot of misleading stats out there that compare the amount of kilograms of greenhouse gas emissions compared to the kilograms produced of something. Right, that doesn't make any sense because kilogram of broccoli is a lot less as far as food being spread among people kilogram two point two pounds of beef. Right, you can feed way more people with two point two pounds of beef than you can with two point two pounds of broccoli. So I get exactly at best. Yeah, But so some people have said, well, let's just alter it a little bit, so we'll measure the kilograms of greenhouse gas emissions for every thousand calories produced, and so that makes it a lot more apples to apples comparison. But even still, when you alter it like that, the numbers essentially come out the same, which is that meat production has a much larger carbon footprint than almost any kind of plant production, although there are some surprises like, for example, your beloved dark chocolate has a larger carbon footprint than producing poultry or pork chuck. How do you feel about your dark chocolate assault on top of it?
Speaker 1: Now, I didn't kill that chocolate. You know, coffee and chocolate are two pretty notorious you know, environmental disasters as well on the on the non meat side for sure.
Speaker 2: For sure. The reason why, apparently is demand. There's so much demand for chocolate that the deforestation that results to create more fields for cocoa production, that that just is what's giving it such a huge footprint. And I think coffee is relatively the same.
Speaker 3: Overall.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: I found a twenty nineteen study from Sustainability the Journal, and they basically said thirty vegetarians have thirty three percent lower greenhouse gas emissions based on their diet than a vegan than meat, and a vegan diet has fifty three percent lower greenhouse gas emissions. It's just that's just how it goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if you're like, well, I like eating some meat, the biggest s afenders there are beef, lamb and mutton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought that was weird.
Speaker 1: Beef produces sixty kilograms of greenhouse gas per kilogram, and a kilogram of poultry is only six. But you compare that to a kilogram with just some English peas, that's under one kilogram of greenhouse gas emissions produced. So you might think that as far as water consumption goes, the plants would far outpace like a meat diet because you got a water vegetables. But generally there are just a few plant based foods that have a bigger water footprint than beef.
Speaker 2: Yeah, beef is just the worst offender of all, but livestock. Raising livestock in general, apparently one fifth to one quarter of all the water used by humans goes to raising livestock, which is nuts. But the reason why is because not only do you need water to keep that head of cattle alive until you decide to kill it, you also need water to grow the grain that you feed that head of cattle. So they're just consuming all over the place, especially as far as water is concerned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just so you know, there are like zero sort of vegetables that out paste beef. The two that do out paste beef that I was referring to our chocolate and almonds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and who considers an almond of vegetable? Come on, give it up.
Speaker 1: And I think as far as lamb and mutton go, the two other biggest defenders in the meat category, only cashews, pistachios, and hazel nuts consume more water to produce than lamb and mutton.
Speaker 2: Hazel Nuts are so great, far and away the best.
Speaker 1: Nut, you think, not the ground nut.
Speaker 2: I haven't had one yet. Well, peanuts apparently are a ground nut. I have not had the bombara ground nut yet, so I should wait and reserve judgment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, peanuts they grow underground.
Speaker 2: Right, Yep, they're a ground nut.
Speaker 1: I can just see Jimmy Carter holding a big thing of peanuts and roots with dirt falling off of them.
Speaker 2: All right, Pete and God bless that man.
Speaker 1: That's right. The US maintains about nine billion, nine billion livestock to get the meat that it needs or wants. I guess is the better way to say it. And if that grain went to humans, it'd be enough for eight hundred and forty million people that have plant based diets.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: And there was another thing that I came across that I was kind of surprised by totally makes sense, is if we en mass as a species, humans essentially abandoned livestock production, beef production, or meat production in favor of a plant based diet. Just basically globally, the chance of communicable diseases developing would drop drastically because seventy five percent of emerging communicable diseases are zoonotic, which means humans get them from animals, and we make our closest contact with animals through the livestock industry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a petting zeus.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, as long as it wasn't grown in a lab, you can kiss communicable diseases goodbye.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The other environment little disaster of raising livestock, and this is more and more lately, is the habitat destruction to raise all these animals. You're talking about extinction of plant and animal species and thousands more being threatened in the year's upcoming because of habitat destruction. And it's also true for some kinds of agriculture. You know, we've talked about palm oil cultivation being a big problem for a lot of stuff, specifically orangutang populations or at least by example, but beef, once again, is the biggest factor. They drive forty Beef drives forty percent of tropical deforestation globally, whereas palm oil and soy, which are two sort offenders on the other side, are only eighteen percent combined.
Speaker 2: That's all just eighteen percent of deforestation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean the one takeaway here is beef beef bad.
Speaker 2: It's what's for dinner and what ruined the planet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's it's far and away leading the way in all all the bad categories.
Speaker 2: You know, it really does.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this is we've just kind of touched the surface, especially on the environmental impact. There's a lot to dig into there if that interested you. But I feel like we gave some good reasons for people to adopt a plant based diet. I don't know if I'm going too fully, but i'd like to think it's I'm kind of part way there already.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I eat more vegetables now. I eat way less red meat than I used to. Yeah, for just like all the reasons that we talked about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've cut my four quarter pounders with cheese every day in half and I eat both halves. Since Chuck kind of laughed at my last joke, I think everybody that means we should probably slog along to listener Mayil.
Speaker 1: That was a real laugh. That was an oh Josh laugh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I love those two.
Speaker 1: All right, This this from a smithy because of us.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, I saw this one.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, I've always had a bit of an interest in metalworking, and as of about five years ago, i've had an interest in your show. I'd say your show has been the longest running podcast of my life. Actually, I remember listening to your episode about blacksmithing four years ago and that kind of set off the domino effect of me getting really into blacksmithing as a hobby. I'm definitely one of those that like to collect hobbies, with most passing in about six months and I never pick it up again. But not true with blacksmithing. I've stuck with it since your episode came out, and I'd like to say I've come a long way with it. I've attached to a few pictures of my work, which is very good, by the way, starting with early works and all the way to the two I completed about a week ago. I thought you might be interested in seeing how your show kicked off one of my favorite hobbies I've ever had, so thanks for that. And that is from Tate Avent and you can find Tate just look up Tater makes t a I t E R m a k e s and check out Tate's work.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks a lot, Tate. That is awesome. Congratulations on your awesome hobby getting so good at it, and we really appreciate you letting us know that we had some sort of small, tiny impact on you. We love hearing that kind of thing. If you want to be like Tate and let us know that we had some small, tiny impact on you, please send it via email to stuff Podcasts at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.