Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Ah, we did it.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 3: I don't know for better than ever, but we are back. A weight lifted off my shoulders as I got through the wedding and the speech. More importantly, it wasn't about the wedding, it was about the speech. Rich Eisen, who was in attendance. He went to the Taylor Swift Travis Kelce wedding, so he was kind of ready for a wedding of this magnitude. He'll join us coming up next hour. Daniel Jeremiah, the NFL analyst for NFL Network. He'll join us coming up a little bit, and he'll have some thoughts on the announcement that the Cleveland Browns have named their starting quarterback this season. Multiple reports Deshaun Watson will be the starting quarterback for the Cleveland Browns this after what happened this weekend, not only his performance that was subpar, but his comments that were so bar as well. We'll bring those back coming up here in a moment. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. Premier League is back, heading to North London. The Spurs make their home debut against Newcastle, a new season plenty to prove when they kick off at twelve thirty Eastern on NBC and Peacock. We'll have a new poll question coming up and your phone call is always welcome, especially on Monday. Best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked you didn't like? Eight seven to seven to three. DP Show got a big announcement, Big announcement coming up in about eight minutes from now. Eight minutes from now, big announcement for the DP Show.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, I want to go back to Watson for a second. I know the announcement's big. Do you think the Brown said it themselves this morning? It can't get any worse. Nobody likes this guy. He didn't play well. This is last call. Let him have the month of septem and then we'll completely move on from the Watson era for the rest of our lives. And the only thing that could change that is if he plays really well well.
Speaker 3: This is what I would have done prior to what he said this weekend. But prior to this, I thought, let him play, let him try, give him the chance. You spend all this money. I don't think Shadoor Sanders is your future, but you at least give Deshaun Watson the opportunity he rehabbed to come back now see if he can play. And as I mentioned last hour, my source, who wasn't involved in the decision making but he's affiliated with the Cleveland Brown said that he thought the trajectory was Deshaun Watson was going to be the starting quarterback. This was prior to Saturday. I did text him this morning after the Deshaun Watson's comments over the weekend.
Speaker 2: He did not get back to me.
Speaker 3: But by the way, here is Deshaun Watson talking about being booed by the home crowd.
Speaker 5: I think you guys know too, and I think the whole world knows. It has nothing to do about the performance. It's a little bit personal than that. So I think that's it's a disrespectful thing. So yeah, I mean, I'm gonna keep whatever I feel with me and my family internally on how I feel about that, and yeah, I just move on.
Speaker 3: Okay, he didn't keep it to himself, but he needs to eat it. Like you open the door here. You're not gonna win this. You're not a victim. Nobody's gonna feel bad for you. I do understand you. You know, tear your achilles and the fans boo. Now to me, that crosses the line. But part of the booing was you didn't play well. You haven't played well, you haven't played you got all this money, and then you say, well, here is the next portion of that press conference with Deshaun Watson.
Speaker 6: Why don't you.
Speaker 3: Think, Deshaun that that winning and playing better would made some of that bullying.
Speaker 5: Last time I played on this field out toward my achilles, and that same fan base they cheered when I got hurt. So, but does that have to do with anything about performance? When a person get hurt, especially for your own city, and they.
Speaker 2: Cheer, that make you regret coming here?
Speaker 5: No, I don't regret anything in my life.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: I think the lawyer put me through situations for a reason, so I don't. I don't regret anything at all. I had different thoughts on how it was going to be, but you know, it is what it is. I'm not chipping on it.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't know if the lord puts you through the sexual assault, Okay, you can't say it. I don't regret anything in my life, or if you say nothing football wise, do I regret? Okay, keep it about football if you want to. But you're doing the all you know, woe is me? All Right, you get your start. You're the starting quarterback here and maybe you're going to feel like you're playing seventeen road games in your words, but this is on you. This is about you. You got your opportunity. Stop whining, stop crying, go out and play football, and if you play well, maybe the fans move past this. They've been waiting for somebody to be able to play that position.
Speaker 2: For a while.
Speaker 3: You had Baker Mayfield. He's doing okay in Tampa. You moved on from him choice, but look, ownership has hired poor people as head coaches. The track record is horrendous quarterbacks horrendous. And you bring in Deshaun Watson. You gave him an offer he couldn't refuse. He didn't want to go there. He took them off the list. He was going to Atlanta, and now you can't cut him. The cap hit is going to be it's going to crush them. It's it might be the worst trade. And like the Herschel Walker trade, you go Okay, that was certainly one sided. At least you got herschel Walker. This might be the worst move of any franchise in history. Two hundred and thirty million baggage draft picks, three first round picks. One of those picks was Will Anderson seem problem, he's not like good? No, he's great? But yeah, all right, So Cleveland Browns Deshaun Watson, how could they make it worse?
Speaker 8: Paul?
Speaker 2: You can make it worse? Week two?
Speaker 4: Guess who the Browns play? The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and.
Speaker 3: Perfect, Well, wait a minute, is it a road game or a road game for deshawnd games?
Speaker 2: All right, yes, Dylan, if you're.
Speaker 9: The Browns, do you even want him to play? Well? Like, let's say you do get a little glimmer of hope.
Speaker 10: Would you rather that or just wash your like it's just continues to be an abject failure and just wash your hands of it as.
Speaker 2: Best as possible. Well, we always do this, man.
Speaker 3: The quarterbacks and this year's draft, they are great until they're not great. But if I'm Cleveland, how good do I want to be this year? And if that's the case, do you have shador in there instead of Deshaun Watson because maybe you get five wins or six wins, but I think they're on the cusp of something. It's just the problem is you got to get that quarterback, Jared Verse.
Speaker 2: I love that. Yeah, I said that.
Speaker 3: You know, they should have made that trade a year earlier, but Jared Verse is a really good player, and I thought that that was a smart decision.
Speaker 10: Yes, Dylan, Yeah, And you could argue too that the Deshaun being on the Browns, it's the best situation in terms of having the opportunity.
Speaker 2: To rehab your image on the football field.
Speaker 10: Like if there's any place that's ripe for you to come in and play well and have that get you extra cachet, it is in Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Well he'll get his opportunity.
Speaker 3: And I agreed with this prior to this weekend with his and then he had his press conference like that's what would make me nervous if I'm Brown's ownership. Okay, not a great performance, but you're not really grasping what the situation is. And for a quarterback, I just there's other ways you could have done this. But he he really wanted to say this. He wasn't provoked media didn't provoke him, and the follow up question, do you regret coming here?
Speaker 2: Great follow up question.
Speaker 3: So all right, we promised a big announcement, big announcement today, big announcement today that will be about a big announce coming up a week from today, and for that we bring back the artist.
Speaker 2: Formerly known as.
Speaker 3: McLevin is uh Andrew Perloff, the artist formally known as McLevin.
Speaker 2: It's like you never left.
Speaker 11: It feels like I never left. And let me just say, there's just no better lead into coming back than to Shaun Watson.
Speaker 2: Great, that's what you got, Deshaun Watson. Hey. Character wise Yeah, no, I'm an improvement and then come in. Okay, so let's tell everybody what's going on. Oh another drum wrong?
Speaker 3: Okay, So a week from today, you and Paulie are going to do a show, an hour long show right after this show on Peacock. So our show ends and then not so Fast that'll be the title of the show. Paulie and Andrew will be hosting a TV show here on Peacock.
Speaker 11: Right, if you were thinking of leaving your couch and going somewhere else at noon Eastern, Not so Fast, stay for paps in pearl Off.
Speaker 4: All right, paul you signed up for this very excited. I'd love to have Andrew back. He's my buddy. We've always kept in touch. Now I figure the name Andrew did come up with the name of the show. I assumed it was a shot at my athletic ability, as I was an archer, but I guess it's more so not so fast. Stick with us after the DP show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's great because it'll be and then we'll make cameos everybody in this room, including myself when need be. Like today, if you were doing your show and you lead with Toshaun Watson, you might have me, you know, join you in the first part of the show. It's an hour long show, and it is kind of a complimentary show to what we do on this show for three hours.
Speaker 11: Yeah, exactly today, we would probably interview Audrey to start with, because I made good come on, get we gotta dig into that, so we'll use elements of the Dan Patrick show. It'll be in its own show too.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, Paulie, anything you would like to add to this momentous occasion.
Speaker 4: It's very exciting having Andrew back. Andrew thanks to Dan, the big German and everyone in the building who's been working on this the past few months. Thanks to NBC Sports for getting into this with us. And it's gonna be fun. That's the one thing. Just like this show, have fun one, it's time to have fun, get serious when it's time to get serious and talk to the sports fans.
Speaker 3: And NBC came to us and said, look, your fan base is so loyal that once your show ends, they go about their day and we want to keep them as long as we can, and it will be a handoff right at the end of our show.
Speaker 2: And it's called not so Fast.
Speaker 11: I mean, can I a couple concerns. Okay, I'm not exactly great at looking at the right camera, and now, as you've spent many years on TV.
Speaker 2: Let the camera find you. Thank you. That's why I keep telling you them.
Speaker 11: But see I'll go seek it out and I end looking at the wall like Todd you know, famously did it in a movie scene. So the other thing is the Atlanta Falcons quarterback competition has me nervous because you know, Paul and I are hosting. We're gonna have to say these names. I'm not great with the Michael Pennix and Falcons. Yeah, Falcons and Falcons and Chicago.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Did anything improve when you left us? Not much? No, no, no, Well yet this.
Speaker 11: You guys have improved and you know the resources here. I mean when you leave the building and you come back like, oh my god, I forgot it is it's just incredible to walk back.
Speaker 2: And not only that the place is buzzing.
Speaker 11: Dad, you walk in, there's a podcast here, and a project here and new people here. The energy is absolutely unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Yes, So I want to thank Eric the big german who did a great job and the people he hired and vetted to bring in here and to bring you back. Pair you with Paulie, it'll be a lot of fun. And the fact that it's just down the hall where your studio is, and it's right after our show on see Sports Now on Peacock guest Poem.
Speaker 4: And Dan thank you for building us the new studio you went over. What's nice about you, Dan is that you are not only a host and a producer, you're also the set decorator. You went in there with the lighting and you're like, You're like, what's the varnish level?
Speaker 2: I don't know what varnish means. I got way involved in it, way too deep.
Speaker 3: I'm just looking at fabbrics.
Speaker 2: It's buttery nice in there.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: It's very very coming.
Speaker 3: It'll be fun. It'll be a lot of fun to have another show, live show, hour long show. And it starts a week from today at noon Eastern.
Speaker 11: So we got our producer Scott, many new people. Everybody here has been so generous that all the resources of Dan Patrick.
Speaker 2: That's one advantage we have that no other show has. I mean there is we're building off.
Speaker 11: In my mind, Dan Patrick Show is the show of record nine am Eastern, and we're building off that, and it's we're just so excited.
Speaker 2: All right, that's it. Great to see you, Great to have you back.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Dan the artist formally known as McLevin Andrew Purlove. It'll be a pearl off not so fast. That'll be coming up a week from today. All right, Well, take a break. When we come back. Daniel Jeremiah NFL Network, we'll get his thoughts on the Browns. Turning things over to Deshaun Watson. We're back after this on The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of the Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 13: Hey it's me Rob Parker. Check out my weekly MLB podcast, Inside the Parker for twenty two minutes of piping hot baseball talk, featuring the biggest names of newsmakers in the sport. Whether you believe in analytics or the I tast We've got all the bases covered. New episodes drop every Thursday, So do your solfa favor and listen to Inside the Parker with Rob Parker on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Age seven to seven three.
Speaker 3: DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter hand the DP Show. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock or NBC Sports Now, Dylan, what's the poll question for hour two? Let's clean up hour one and then we'll get to Daniel Jeremiah.
Speaker 10: If you're the Browns, who are you starting at QB Deshaun Watson or Shad Sanders. Obviously that appears that's been decided, but nonetheless, seventy three percent are saying shaudor Sanders.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Daniel Jeremiah NFL Network Analysts co host to Move the Sticks podcast, Chargers radio commentator, former NFL scout. Let me start with the Browns decision, Deshaun Watson's going to be the starting quarterback this season.
Speaker 14: Your thoughts, well, I thought, when you had a a horse Todd Monkin after the game the other day and having a chance to have heard and taking in everything that Deshaun said, and then he mentions very specifically whatever was said in that press Corms left nothing to do with who's going to be named the starting quarterback in the Cleveland Browns. They basically announced the starting quarterback of the Cleveland Browns, and that's where we are. Dan and I, look, I know there's a lot of strong opinions on it. I thought just watching the tape of the two and I said this, you know, right after the press conference, I was on the air, which was look, the play is it's very similar. It's not that different when you watch him and Shador in the preseason. I'm not there at every practice, but that was a tight race. And I originally had said, you always go veteran to young guy. It's easier to start with the veteran, then you pivot to the young guy. But then once that press conference happened. Personally, I was like, well, that's he just burned the building down like that. There's no chance that's you have no option but to go with Shador. But then immediately after that, I hear Monk and talk and I'm like, well, nope, they're not doing it.
Speaker 3: What should we be looking for though, to see why Deshaun Watson is the right guy? Aside from making all the money and being the veteran, has he earned the right to be the starting quarterback over Deshaun Watson If it's just based on play.
Speaker 14: Yeah, this is where it's hard on the outside because it doesn't make a lot of sense just from what we've seen of it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 14: The thing I would tell people is that, Okay, we're not in there. I don't know, like the Chador know all the checks and the calls. Is he doing all that stuff right in terms of the operation of everything that a head coach, and especially an offensive minded head coach you know, feels like can operate his system. Maybe Deshaun's been better in those areas as someone who's just played more football and been around more that maybe that was tilted heavily in his favor. My thing is though, Dan, It's like, okay, that's kind of like the micro you know, aspect of this whole thing. At some point in time, especially as a head coach in an organization, you've got to step back and look at this thing and say, where's our window here? You know, if you start standards, that's six first or second year players on the offensive side of the ball, which points towards the future. You trade Miles Garrett because you're not thinking about the past, You're thinking about the future. Deshaun Watson was a good quarterback way in the past. He's not in the president, not going to be your quarterback in the future. So if you're looking at the window and everything pointing forward, this is a decision that points backward.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, how good do they want to be this year?
Speaker 3: Like, let's let's get into ownership thoughts here, that guess got a chance to get a quarterback.
Speaker 2: Maybe you finally get your quarterback. But if you're kind of.
Speaker 3: You know, six or seven wins, you kind of put yourself in that Nomaen's land of trying to get a big ticket item. So what do you think now? Todd Munkin wants to win and the Browns win, but does ownership how good do you want to be this year?
Speaker 7: That's that's the tough part.
Speaker 14: I don't That's why I don't get this is this is just this is like just middle of the road with what you're going to get with Deshaun Watson. Even if if he plays as well as he can, I still think there's enough holes on this roster where the ceiling is low. So I just I would want to know exactly what I have.
Speaker 7: And shure Sanders at the end of this year.
Speaker 14: If if that results in us losing games, we lose games, at least we're getting valuable reps and experience for the rest of our young nucleus that's going to be there waiting for this, you know, hopefully savior quarterback that's arriving in next year's draft class. But this is this feels like a debate of you know, hey, you know, we win five games with six games with Shador if everything goes well, But if we start Watson and everything goes well, we could win seven games. So like, that's why we're going to do this for this extra one or two games that you might win this year, which I don't think that's I just don't think it's the right decision.
Speaker 7: I don't.
Speaker 14: I think it's looking at a very small lens and not stepping back and looking at where this organization needs to go.
Speaker 3: Daniel Jeremiah, NFL network analyst and co host to Move the Sticks podcast. What other battles competition are you looking at that maybe haven't been settled yet?
Speaker 14: Well, I mean Pennix has done the most of any of these guys to win a starting quarterback job just by sitting back and watching it kind of fun apart, you know what I mean. Like that's almost like, well, I don't want to play yet. I want to let this whole thing just kind of go south and then I'll then I can get the job without ever having to do anything. But I saw he got recently cleared, so that will be a fascinating one. On all of these ones, Dan, I've I've always fallen back to the way it normally goes, which is, if at anyting's close, normally these teams start with the older guy because you don't lose the older guy, you start him. The younger guy is still working hard, still grinding, still chasing, and then if it doesn't go well with the old guy, you just pivot to the young guy. If you start the young guy, a lot of times the old guy, you might lose him, you know, mentally, emotionally, all those things. So if it's close, it usually falls in that direction. But man, some of the veterans are making this hard harder than it should be.
Speaker 3: See, I think TUA is set up to have a great opportunity.
Speaker 2: Here in Atlanta. There's weapons.
Speaker 3: I mean, it almost feels like it's Miami again, where I got receivers, I got a tight end, I got a running back here. Offensive minded head coach, you don't look great, man, Okay, you.
Speaker 2: Don't sound as optimistic as I do.
Speaker 14: I think everything that you said I saw on paper going into this thing, and I.
Speaker 7: Was excited about.
Speaker 14: And then what we've seen translate from the paper to the to the video is not has not shown up. So you know, look, you and I are not at practice every day. Maybe it's just maybe it's just air coriol at practice every day and they're lighting it up and just unfortunately what we get to see publicly has been awful. But I you know, I don't know how to read anything more into that other than you know, I thought Penning's chances were very low to see the field early in the season, and I've I've definitely changed that opinion.
Speaker 2: Kirk Cousins has to start with the Raiders, correct.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I'm sticking with that, and I like what I've seen from Mendoza. I know, you know, you can look at the pick six last week, but going back through that tape, I thought there was a lot of good things in there, especially for him getting under center and doing a lot of things for the first time. He's he's getting to the top of his drop, his vision's been pretty good. He's making some difficult throws. Like you watch these these young quarterbacks and there's different philosophies of how to get them going. Like the Rams have done a masterful job with ty Simpson. They get him under center. There is a lot of boots, a ton of boots early in his games. There's a lot of just spit the ball out to the flat, get some easy completions. Dan as a as a hooper, you know, it's like just seeing the ball go through the hoop a couple of times and then then you can step back and show a little more range. Like they've done a great job of that. With ty Simpson. With Mendoza, it's like, Okay, let's see what this kid can do. They're throwing him into the deep end. It's seven step drops, and we're trying to read middle of the field and try and really drive the football. And he's done some of those things really well. So I'm excited about his future. But I don't think that offensive line is going to be equipped to help him early on in his career. And I say, kirk Man, God bless you. You've done a lot of great things in this league.
Speaker 7: You got to take them from the team here, buddy.
Speaker 14: You got to get us through at least see if you get us through half the season here, pull yourself together, use your brain to protect yourself in terms of understanding where pressures are coming from and how to cover up some of our issues along the offensive line. But I don't want to give a full seventeen games worth of hits behind that offensive line to Fernando Mendoza.
Speaker 3: Cowboys picking up Von Miller I thought was a sneaky nice move for a guy who I think had nine sacks last year. What do you think of this move with the Cowboys?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, I would say even outside of Vaughan. I was up there at training camp, and you know, I always tell people preseason games can be a liar. Don't make too big of a deal out of what you see in the preseason games. When you go to practice Dan and you get a chance to watch them, and they're going good versus good, and that offense, we would all agree is a legit top three to five offense and has been as long as Dak Prescott's been healthy. And the defense got after him the day I was there and it was a collection of guys. It was over shown. The linebacker who looked like he's put on about ten pounds was flying around making plays. Quinn Williams, you know, out there as an impactful player. This rookie day got Jayshn barrowm out of Michigan has got a chance to be the defensive rookie of the year.
Speaker 7: He's been all over the place.
Speaker 14: He was at the practice I was there, and you've seen it shown up in the preseason games. Caleb downs, like you start adding all these pieces together. Now you just sprinkle in a little von Miller to give them a little something extra there as an edge rusher or someone that you can maybe preserve through the year and as you get into the meaningful late season games, I think he's got a chance to close out some games for you. So I left the Cowboys camp very bullish, and it wasn't.
Speaker 7: It wasn't.
Speaker 14: There was nothing like you're trying to talk yourself into it. You're like, no, they got they got real guys on defense.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, I thought if they'd get a top fifteen defense, that team is they could go to the NFC Title Game in my opinion with that offense, but the defense, if that kind of just be better than average, Well they've been. They were horrible last year, and they did they made some smart moves. I'm still surprised that it's like Seattle didn't win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 7: Who's Seattle? I haven't heard am.
Speaker 3: Nobody and maybe they like this, I don't know, but they won the Super Bowl and nobody brings up Seattle is repeating, Oh no, you know, the the Rams are the team to be. I get that, But Seattle is still pretty good. They lose Kenneth Walker, but he got a good coach. Defensive guys, impact guys. So where do you stand on Seattle?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I have them right at the top.
Speaker 14: You know, when I look at their team, this was not a team that, man, they were just they're almost there year after year after year, and then finally they pushed through and then maybe that was their one shot?
Speaker 7: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 14: Like the quarterbacks in his twenties, Jsm's in his early twenties is arguably the best receiver in the entire league. The defense was the best defense in the NFL, with young talented players sprinkled everywhere, like Leonard Williams would be the one guy who's like thirty one something like that, who's still you know, playing at the elite, elite level. This is an ascending team that won the Super Bowl on the on the middle of their climb, like it they're not going anywhere, And in some ways, I think it was a godsend to John Schneider, Like you couldn't ask for anything more. Like one of the toughest things to defend your title is, man, that all arrows are pointing to you.
Speaker 7: You're You're the one.
Speaker 14: Like no, it's not like everybody's talking about the Rams and the Cowboys. I mean everybody's I would say, the other team that's maybe in that very good, somewhat disrespected, if you want to use that term. The Philadelphi Eagles have been to a couple of Super Bowls and they have a loaded roster still, and I don't hear anybody talking about them either.
Speaker 2: When do you make your Super Bowl pick?
Speaker 14: That's a great question, I I I maybe I'll make like three of them. Let's just do one right now, I'll I'll go, I'll go with the AFC. I think the I'll probably say the Broncos coming out of the AFC, man, and then let's turn around and let's go. So I might might go with the Philadelphia Eagles. Okay, I'm back out of the NFC.
Speaker 2: Guaranteed to change here in the next week or sow.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, I don't know if for what other shows I got later today. But's as many cracks of this thing as I can. I'm only going to reach week one of them at the end of the year. I can promise you that.
Speaker 2: Aaron Donald yet to join the Rams. What do you think the hold up is?
Speaker 14: I mean, what's the rush? I mean, this is not You're not bringing in Aaron Donald to see if you can win a game in.
Speaker 2: Australia the rush? Yeah, exactly, exactly. Literally is the rush no question?
Speaker 14: So I mean it's you know, hey, we need you for December and January and beyond.
Speaker 2: So let's let's wait. Do you think he goes to Australia.
Speaker 14: I mean I maybe to do some snorkeling. I don't think he plays in that game. I mean maybe he signs before then. I don't think so. If it was it was me, if I'm less sneed looking at this thing, going like like, don't even think about seventeen games. How long is it going to take you to get you know, I know you've been working out, and we've had you in for a couple of workouts, but to get yourself in real game shape. Like if that if we brought you in here and then you could take a month or six weeks, just practice a couple of days a week, get yourself ready to go, and then maybe we get to the halfway point of the season, we'll start we'll start utilizing you. But I mean, you don't need him for seventeen games, Like that's why why do that?
Speaker 3: I'd probably use him the way Tampa did Gronk that you know we want you for December, January, February. Well, yeah, I would have him only play home games if he wanted to.
Speaker 7: That's not a bad idea. You don't have to get on an airplane.
Speaker 14: You know, weren't some of the pictures weren't some of those veteran pictures that had like sweetheart deals like that.
Speaker 3: And I think Roger Clemens didn't he have that. It was, Yeah, your sneaky team this year is.
Speaker 7: Oh gosh, my sneaky team this year. You know.
Speaker 14: I've just I really like Joe Burrow in Cincinnati, and I like the Dexter Lawrence move. I mean, it feels weird to say with a quarterback like that that they're a sneaky team, but they're another one that and the defense stand they don't have to be a top ten, top five defense, just be functional. If they're a functional defense, that's a really really good it's a really good offense. So that would be one, you know, not a playoff team. I could see making a deep run.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you. We'll talk to you soon. Thank you, Daniel, Thank you, Buddy.
Speaker 7: Good to see it.
Speaker 3: Daniel Jeremiah, NFL network analysts, co host to Move the Sticks podcast, Chargers radio commentator, analyst, former NFL scout. Let's see a couple of phone calls in here. Best and worst of the weekend. We'll give you hours coming up here in about ten minutes. Kelly in Kansas, Hi, Kelly, what do.
Speaker 2: You have for me?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 15: DPT. I just wanted to call and say that best of the weekend. We're celebrating three weeks today with our new little baby.
Speaker 2: Boy, John Taylor awesome.
Speaker 15: And I just wanted to shout out to our my husband for all his support that he's been given me and taking care of our family, and I'm just so happy that we have our little boy here.
Speaker 3: Well, you can't have a worst of the weekend when you have that, Kelly, so congratulations.
Speaker 2: Could have named him Dan, could have named him Dan.
Speaker 15: We could have tried, but it was a tradition, so John.
Speaker 3: It was not too late. Maybe the next one. Kel Yeah, you know we changed my daughter's name six weeks after we brought her home.
Speaker 2: But thank you, Kelly. Trip in Vegas, h I trip.
Speaker 6: ADBs. Always good to speak with y'all. Good to have y'all back. I got a best, the worst, and then the comment for or a question for the room. I'm gonna piggyback budo to Windom Clarks. He's already said it all about that. The worst is obviously going to be the way the difference everything that's going on in the WNBA with the Chicago Sky game last night, and see how they handled that, and then I want to see what the room thought about this. So, growing up in Columbia and going to the University of South Carolina, my quarterback, theorist Sellers, is now a not having to go.
Speaker 7: To class this year.
Speaker 6: His whole workload is working at a driving range that I called you from when I was there when I was on the show. So I'm curious what y'all think about that's his whole workload this year is working at the party driving range in Columbia, South Carolina. Hey have a good day.
Speaker 2: Hey there.
Speaker 3: If he's following the rules, I don't have any problem with it. Trip Matt Liiner did this, Marcus Mariota did this. If if, and I still maintain I'm waiting for the next athlete to be suspended for being academically ineligible, wake me up. When we have one of those situations where you're academically ineligible if you've done all the requirements and they give you a job and it's ballroom dancing. Fine, this is business. It's not you know what we think, Oh, I'm going to class. They're doing whatever they need to do to be able to play football. This has nothing to do with furthering your education. If they've already you know, got the required credits, great, good for you. I just don't know if, like I had an academic advisor when I was in college, I'm guessing that you have that. Like tutors, I don't know if you have that anymore. Like and most of the classes you probably can take online, I don't know how tough they are on you, you know, attendance or who's handing in assignments here. I know you're laughing as you're saying, I am, I remember, you know we had assignments. I remember we went to we had a road game at Marshall, and we came back late at night. And then they said, you don't have to go to class the next day, but if you have to make up something, you know, then you know you're going to have to arrange that with your teacher.
Speaker 2: So I had to.
Speaker 3: I had to test the history of Mesopotamia and I had to take a test. I had to go to the teacher and take the test, and you had to have a seat to stay eligible. And you know, like it was, I was scraping and scrapping trying to stay eligible. Now I don't know if anybody cares anymore. I always love when they go and our student athlete of the game is Jimmy Lipper with a three point nine grade point average in chemical engineering. He's not playing, but he's on the team. He's the three point nine. Yeah, he brings everybody's grade point average up. I brought everybody's grade point average down. Yes, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 16: My favorite thing is SEC games. And it's like players at the game or players to watch, they say they're major general studies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I was com arts communication, that's what it was.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, com arts.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, I've seen undeclared by fifty year seniors. Like here's Gary Danielson is calling out his name undecided.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's twenty two.
Speaker 3: You gotta make a decision the rest of his life to decide the Yes, Dylan is com.
Speaker 9: So there's communications and then the art of communication.
Speaker 3: It was called CommArts. That was That was my degree because I'm like journalism, that's tough. There's a lot of work with that comm arts. Yay, all right, we'll come back. More phone calls Rich Eisen, who has gone to the two biggest weddings of the year with Taylor Swift and then my daughter's wedding over the weekend. So we'll talk to Richisen next hour. The Browns have made their decision. They're starting quarterback for week one, Deshaun Watson. We're back with our best and worst of the weekend after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 3: By the way, in the American League, the entire American League, there are four teams that have a winning record. Three of the four are in the American League East. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Tampa, the Yankees, and the Red Sox. They are above five hundred, So those are the three in the American League East. Pretty incredible that you have now watch them win the World Series. Somebody's gonna win the World Series. The White Sox are in there as well. That's it. Those are the teams above five hundred, Houston and Texas. They're at sixty five and sixty six. What a mess the American League has been this year. All righty, let's see Brandon Brandon in Ohio. Hi, Brandon, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Well, Dan the Brown oh I would think being a fan, I would be used to getting duck hunts, but starting Waston, I just don't see any other outcome than Todd Monkin is fine being one and done, Andrew Berry is fine being done. Washton came out. I'll tell you about the fan base. And yes, there's the thought that with the schedule they're on the road for two games, that can be his sort of audition. The guy's a nine or ten year vet. What does that say if you think he needs an audition to prove that he can get the job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it's a tough you know.
Speaker 3: They it felt like this is the move they were going to make, because let's give him a chance. If it doesn't work out, then you put in should or Sanders that you've tried it. He came back. There's more of an upside, I would think with Deshaun Watson because we've seen that, but should Door Sanders might be your starting quarterback the second half of the year. Best and worst of the weekend, Todd, We'll start with you.
Speaker 2: Best of the weekend. I'm gonna go back to the very start of our time off.
Speaker 17: Saturday, August fifteenth, Cardinals outfield of Joshua Baias makes history, hitting a home runer his first three at Batch of his Middle league career, beating the Cub's eight fort Rigally. I thought that was pretty awesome and worth the bringing back worst top Rankietic center. Having to withdraw from the US Open right knee injury. He last played at Wimbledon, beating Alexander Zebrev in four sets for his fifth Grand Slam title.
Speaker 2: Dylan My Worst, Dan my Sweet.
Speaker 10: Prince sun Jam finishes tied ten at the BMW Championship. He needed a solo eidh to make it to the Tour Championship, but he's been playing some good golf. My other words, I went to a beach overbreak that's famous for wild horses being there. I didn't see a single horse the entire time, but you could tell horses had been There were remnants. There were remnants.
Speaker 3: Horse breadcrumbs, Marvin First of the weekend.
Speaker 2: I got two best for UDP.
Speaker 16: First, Best Royals catcher Salvador Prez future Hall of Famer, stole a base yesterday. It was his first stolen basins twenty twenty one, seven hundred and fifty five regular season games. Other best Columbia High School in Alabama high school football. They sat there one hundred and one game losing streak, with a win over Greensborough HT their first win since twenty fifteen.
Speaker 4: Alrighty Paul, Best and worst, I'm gonna go. Best of the weekend Caitlin Clark with thirty seven and ten. She should play the sky every week she kills them. And the other best of the weekend. Backup quarterback for the Cowboys Joe Milton nine to thirteen, one seventy nine, two touchdowns. Every year this time of year we talk about Joe Milton. He's gonna be on a roster, He's gonna get his own team someday. He looks fantastic. I don't know why people don't trade for him unless there's something we don't know.
Speaker 3: He's got one of the strongest arms in the NFL. And every time I go man, I love Joe Milton. I usually say it in August, I don't say it again the rest of the year. But I do love watching Joe Milton.
Speaker 2: He can air it.
Speaker 3: Out, Brandy and Iowa, Hi, Brandy.
Speaker 6: Hey, Dan.
Speaker 12: First best is just the announcement earlier and about the new show after yours ends. But the first thing I want to know is it's kind of a two parter. Is are they eligible to submit for the twenty twenty six Sports Emmys if they start in the end of August? And what if they were to win before the DP show.
Speaker 2: I would be fine with that.
Speaker 3: I don't know as far as the legalities of submitting a tape now, I think you have to have a full year I think, but I don't know that. And if the perhaps perlof show that will follow hours would win the Sports Emmy, even nominated for a Sports Emmy, I would be thrilled because it's a win for the building. That's what it's all about, A win for all of us. Ish yes, Dylan.
Speaker 10: If they managed to win it in four months of airtime, that would be historic.
Speaker 3: How about we ease off the pressure there, Okay, let's just get through the first show next Monday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Paul you're going to call it Pump the brakes. Yeah, they've been a good name for the show.
Speaker 3: Yes, final hour in this Monday coming up. Rich Eisen got to see him and his wife. They came to the wedding, sat right by me at the wedding reception. They could almost feel the tears falling. Well, talk to Richie. Rich more of your phone calls as well. Final hour in this Monday after this