Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This He's Talking Cowboys Training live from Dallas Cowboys Training Camp, Innard, California.
Speaker 2: Second past Kids to Teddy.
Speaker 1: And now your hosts, Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: We are here.
Speaker 3: This is the penultimate episode of Talking Cowboys. Here at training Camp in ox Star, California. One more episode before we are back home.
Speaker 4: Boys.
Speaker 3: I am joined by Patrick Nocy Walker at the Voice of the Star. I am joined by Clarencello the fort Worst Star Telegram. What is your Twitter?
Speaker 2: Clarence Clarence Hill Jr. Running all together, Run together, follow me, you get all of me.
Speaker 4: He's ready, he's ready.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 3: Christopher Biemer in the background. We are Talking Cowboys and boys. We have lots to get to, but let's start with news and notes.
Speaker 4: Patrick no C. Walker, first of all.
Speaker 5: I love that you started this this podcast episode with a big word that people don't use every day. Because I'm a words guy. Sotimate.
Speaker 3: I'm a word smith. If you I like big words like gymnasium.
Speaker 4: I love it. Amazing is a big word.
Speaker 3: It's a long word.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: I thought you were gonna say something like auto out appel, you know, indubitably.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Jim Nay, I don't mean to cut you off, but you do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, but uh, you know, back in the day when we were still wrestling in the house that my grandpa used to cut.
Speaker 4: Why I remember those days.
Speaker 2: They know Jim Nay, he said, Jim Nay, calm yourself.
Speaker 5: Now this they know gd flex and and brothers and sometimes sisters on mattresses and whatnot. You know, tackle football, get the pillars and go about to They don't know about that, you know, absolute wrestling on the dirty mattress out back. They don't know about that. We came up, all right, So news and notes. A couple of quick points here. Brandon Aubrey will see if he's back today, But as of yesterday, which would have been Tuesday's practice walked through mock game if you will, he hadn't returned just yet. But for great news, he was racing out of the preseason opener against the Rams because his.
Speaker 4: Wife was in labor.
Speaker 5: So congratulations, baby Butter Aubrey has arrived. Congratulations to the Aubrey family. He is tending to his loved ones right now, and he will return as soon as it is feasible for him to do so.
Speaker 4: In Vegas, in Vegas, in Vegue.
Speaker 2: Does it need to be out here?
Speaker 4: No, he does not. You know they got the he doesn't.
Speaker 3: I have no urgency.
Speaker 2: We don't have any quarters.
Speaker 4: About keep going on Florida, Just keep going for it on fourth it's in Vegas.
Speaker 2: The kickoff, he don't even need to kick.
Speaker 4: Nobody got to kick off.
Speaker 2: You gotta kick them.
Speaker 4: Is Jeff Heath available? As I like that. It's just it's just just Heath available. But if you have Michael, kick it.
Speaker 6: If you have one, yeah, but you got here field because you gott to go forward four or five times. You don't make you man, You don't like the partner in preseason. If it's for like the kick in preseason.
Speaker 4: Go forward on fourth and thirty. It's preseason.
Speaker 5: Evaluate these guys, man, second piece of information, piece of news and notes too. On the bad news front, he suffered an injury to one of his big toes. He exited the game against the Rams.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: He left the stadium in a walking boot, and it's been said that he will miss upwards of ten weeks and surgery is on the table as far as possibly being needed. How does that work with the Cowboys IR situation? An amendment was made, so this is kind of a book keeping note for all of the fans. Used to be, you had to carry a guy on the active roster for at least one day before you put him on i R if you want him to return that season. The NFL changed it this year, so you have to wait until final roster cut downs. But you can designate two guys to move the IR on the day of final roster cutdowns, and those guys can return after four games. But you can only do that with two players, so too, Midoga might be one of those guys. But that's gonna obviously thrust Tyler Guyton where he needs to be, which is starting at left tackle anyway.
Speaker 3: And totally eliminates our argument last week or or on Monday about Tyler Goton being number one.
Speaker 4: Clarence, I know, yeah, yeah, yeah, it was a conversation.
Speaker 6: Conversation there was Tyler got was number one when he got drafted. That was the conversation, that was the start, right now, that it was never a converse. There was never a question that he was going to be the starter.
Speaker 4: Of course he won.
Speaker 2: That was never a question.
Speaker 6: But what other thing that we're missing is that it brings in the focus to the swing tackle, do you know? And and that's the question because it's not about Chima Chimba Duggs never started, but he was gonna be the swing tackle.
Speaker 2: He was gonna be your third tackle. Now who's your third tackle?
Speaker 6: It's this This messes up the depth at tackle and those other guys look, well, let's go ball.
Speaker 2: Richard Doll unproven and you don't know what you have.
Speaker 6: And we you know, we saw what Richards looked like last week against Rams when old boy, you know, start throwing them around a little bit, you know, evend know they tried to say it was Zach Brtin black Mark. But again the question is that is the depth that tackle. Your backup tackles are coming to Focals now for the next two preseason games.
Speaker 3: And if I'm correct, me if I'm wrong, but was it awesome Richards that was starting in the Miami game that we were.
Speaker 5: I mean it didn't look last year. Yeah, No, it wasn't awesome Richards. Didn't he didn't get who was that was then awesome Richards. One of the knocks to Awesome Richards coming into this offseason was that he was unable to earn any reps on the field even when they needed a tackle to step up when Chum Dogga was struggling. So this is Awesome Richards quite literally trying to break through from I mean, he was on the active roster last year, but he's trying to break through from being you know, inactive.
Speaker 4: On a weekly basis to actually get on the field.
Speaker 5: And obviously we're talking about him in a swing tackle capacity because, like like Clarence is saying, now, the question becomes with Chuma gone for upwards of two months, h Matt will Letsko is going to be more relegated to right tackle, which is what Mike McCarthy told us on yesterday, and Austin Richards is going to be more relegated to left tackle, so it's less swing as much, you know, versus these two guys are going to be planted here and we'll see when they go from there.
Speaker 4: And Josh baul.
Speaker 5: Him on the inside. So he's still longer at tackle. He's a guard now, so but we know who's not an option, right, So there you go. There you go, and real quick, I forgot I forgot one one key bit of news and notes. One keeping the news and notes, and then we'll come back to the office line conversation and we'll move from there. Michael Parsons, as far as the update, the latest, what's going on with Ceedee Lamb and his contract talks. We talked in the last episode about Jerry Jones kind of reframing his words with the sense of urgency. Yesterday, Michael Parsons issued a bit of a promise and basically said, no doubt about it.
Speaker 4: And this is a quote, no doubt about it.
Speaker 5: Week one, he Ceedee Lamb will be suiting up for the Dallas Cowboys end quote. So Micah has been in constant talks with Ceedee Lamb. He says, Lamb is watching practice film, giving Michaeh some feedback to say the least, and Mica is confident micha is guaranteeing that he will be on a field week one to two.
Speaker 2: Things, There's never been a question in anybody's mind that c wasn't gonna go.
Speaker 4: There are questions and the wrong people.
Speaker 6: Okay, anybody that that's been experienced, that that knows how things go, knows, have never not signed anybody that they wanted.
Speaker 2: The King never not.
Speaker 4: It was a question in the minds of the fans. You were referring to last.
Speaker 1: Week, so.
Speaker 6: And going back to last week, and and I would say that, and I think Michael's attitude and conversation is important because there was this controversy about Okay, see the's mad, Michael retweeted CD. So Michael's mad. Everybody's mad. That's cool by ya, Now, okay, you know it's dissipated CD. You know, he took all the cowboy stuff off his social media.
Speaker 2: He was on on some zoom the other day.
Speaker 6: The Cowboy fan drafted him number one overall and he's all, you know, all part of the zoom looking up with the Cowboys fan. He you know, and to Michael's and just Michael talking about that CD's watching practice. The guy that's mad, right, he ain't watching practice breaking down how great Michael is.
Speaker 2: Okay, now the contract ain't done. They still got some work to do.
Speaker 6: But of course there's nobody there's no doubt that at some point it's gonna get done because the Cowboys always moves and get it done.
Speaker 2: They gonna close the gap. But yeah, it is what it is. But so it was a it was a good story. You know, y'all. Talk about what's going on in sandwichis go you know, right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, talk about more controversy.
Speaker 5: Talk about Jamar Chase and how he you know, what's going on in Cincinnati, like, those are far more contentious situations than what's happening here in Dallas. So don't don't let the social media stuff for you. It's it will happen, and it will happen here soon. And Michael knows.
Speaker 7: Michael knows everybody, Yeah, Michaeh discussing a working brain knows.
Speaker 3: Did he discuss the twenty twenty eight Olympics at all?
Speaker 4: He did? I don't. It's hard to tell if he's joking, man, it's how you would like to think he is.
Speaker 3: So for those who don't know, Michael tweeted out that he is ready to uh take and everybody you know, prepare.
Speaker 2: Walked the way he would laughing because he don't even know. He don't even know what sporty gonna play.
Speaker 4: He don't even know. He don't even have a sports set it up? What did michaelsfont On Twitter?
Speaker 3: Michael said he's gonna take twenty twenty seven off from football so that he can prepare for the twenty twenty eight Summer Games.
Speaker 5: It's hard to I want to believe he's joking, and I do believe he's joking, but it's so hard to which sport he well, he said hand pain.
Speaker 6: Now now when we walked away, he don't know what's fort and second of all, you do you do?
Speaker 2: And he's there.
Speaker 6: He respects the game you respect. Ain't no way you can take one year off prepare for the Olympics. These people are doing this for the entire life.
Speaker 5: So we know he's tennis. Whatever it is, hamb break dance, break dancing.
Speaker 4: They break dance.
Speaker 2: I told him, and he got a break. That's probably the closest thing you can do. But it'specter compared to that Australian woman.
Speaker 6: But they got rid of break. It's not gonna be in the twenty twenty Olympics. Now what hals happened? You know, because Michael was you know he's in this good jovial mood. So Mike McCarthy kind of ripped him a by his you know running back you know last which.
Speaker 4: Was which was in? Which was fun?
Speaker 2: Yes, he was having fun.
Speaker 5: And then Michael's response was fun, here comes social media doing the social media.
Speaker 2: We just did it with Michael's response. Okay.
Speaker 6: So Michael also said that when he gets thirty, the old age of thirty, he's gonna tell Jerry.
Speaker 2: Either I get it. Yeah, I get a chance to run the ball and running back.
Speaker 4: I'm retired.
Speaker 2: No that not you're still gonna, I say, can you still run?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: I'll probably be about a four or five.
Speaker 3: I'm done to see a goal line package with Michael Parsons come on.
Speaker 4: Too much, too much value? You want to see him? Don't play.
Speaker 5: Don't play with church money. Don't play with the church's money, like just put it in the offer plate and pass it along. Don't play the church's money. But one thing I will say I believe he was serious about was kind of off the cuff when he was talking about he was praising Marshaw Kneeling rookie second round pick, and in that conversation he kind of casually slid in I look forward to playing, you know, alongside him for several years to come.
Speaker 4: I like that. Keep that energy, keep that energy. I like it. I like it.
Speaker 3: Good good stuff from Micah. Now we're getting ready. We haven't done this yet. We're getting ready for the second Cowboys versus Rams practice. So this is the third time we've seen this team in the last week six days.
Speaker 4: How are we looking? I mean, what is the.
Speaker 3: What is the impetus here? Why are we doing this again with the Rams? Why are we being so familiar with the Los Angeles Rams at this point in training camp?
Speaker 2: They don't play on the record season number one, Uh huh, number two.
Speaker 6: It's good work for the starters. I mean, the starters are not playing the preseason, right.
Speaker 2: They like the work. The card of the work you get, you know, you get tired of going against the other team.
Speaker 6: And this is the way teams are supplementing the lack of preseason games, sort of lack of work with the starters.
Speaker 2: You get the practice aast another team, you know, Dak Prescott.
Speaker 6: Gets to see another defense and and and throw against other guys than their own and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So that's part of it.
Speaker 3: Have you ever seen anything like this where you've seen the same team in training camp.
Speaker 2: For but who close to each other? I mean, who worked.
Speaker 6: I mean, you don't have a lot of teams that that have this close proximity to be able to do that. And remember the Rams, like Ramsey had three joint practice sessions, you know, Cowboys on when they got three or four. They've been doing this, you know, since it started camp.
Speaker 2: This is what they like to do.
Speaker 6: They like to and so it's just convenient they right down the road on thousand oars. It's just real convenient to get this done.
Speaker 5: I mean, and too Chill's point. Really, at this point in training camp, you want to escalate how you're sharpening your blade.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: It's one thing to go against you know, the Cowboys defense and the Cowboys defense, going against the Cowboys offense and the weapons that are included therein but it's an entirely different thing to have another team come.
Speaker 4: In here and practice against you.
Speaker 5: And and it is great work for the first team, it's because they're not going to see any work for the most part in the preseason. You didn't see him against the Los Angeles Rams at SOFI on Sunday. You're not going to see him against the Raiders this Saturday, and you're not going to see him against the Chargers on the Sunday following what I think this what makes this interesting now with the injury to chewing with ydoga, is how do the Cowboys handle Tyler Goyton. Okay, my question that I kind of posed to myself and I've been contemplating it is self self and I said self, and self said yes, and I said, how would you handle Tyler Guyton? Here's how I handled guy because obviously he's a rookie and he needs the reps, especially after missing several practices with the illness. But at the same time, now he's unequivocally it's not even a conversation anymore. He's unequivocally. You're starting left tackle, which makes him extremely valuable. So you got to put him in bubble rep at some point. This second joint practice is really going to help him as far as the GPS numbers go. You take those numbers that you get from Tyler Gout and these these reps today in the joint practice, I say, you give him two quarters two and a half max against the Raiders and that's it. You won't you shouldn't see him again until Cleveland. It's how I would handle Tyler guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, first of all, how did we have on mazi cement last week? I mean, Mazi is you know, he got a lot of reps, you know, and you you need to.
Speaker 2: See that from it.
Speaker 5: I think Mazzi plays against the charges. Yeah, I think even if it's just one series, so I think he does.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 6: Well, let's we'll cross that bridge to come to But as far as as Tyler is concerned, I.
Speaker 2: Think, yeah, you you you do. You do play him, You play him at least two quarters, and you need to see him.
Speaker 6: He needs the reps and he can get the reps certainly in practice, but he needs the reps in the game, you know, just like Cooper Beb.
Speaker 2: You know you're gonna you're gonna.
Speaker 6: See a lot from those guys going forward, and they need the reps, they need the experience. And certainly, you know, you don't want to risk injury, obviously you you talked about the bubble wrap.
Speaker 2: And sensitivity to that.
Speaker 6: But he needs to play and that that's more the risk reward is worth it for him because of the upside because when Cleveland comes, you know, I was talking to his dad walk At the end of the day, we already talked about what they're gonna face when Cleveland comes.
Speaker 4: You know that's different.
Speaker 3: Piggyback off of that question, Cooper b byes also taking first team reps. Exciting do we how much more do you want to see him? In the preseason you talked about Tyler got maybe getting two more quarters. What about Cooper be?
Speaker 5: You know the difference between Tyler Gotton and Cooper BB is that even before the injury to Chilmaydogan. I mentioned this on one of the previous episodes. Is Tyler Gotton had a much cleaner path to LT one. I mean, for all intents and purposes, LT one was his The rest was just old school ball coach stuff.
Speaker 4: Earned the STARTCA, etc.
Speaker 5: Brock Kaffman has proved difficult to move if you're in the battle for center with Cooper BB. Cooper b B is now gaining a ton of ground. He's improved quite a bit with the snaps. His blocking was never truly a question. You know his strength, you know his footwork, you know what he can do. Go back and look at this Kansas State film. But then look at what he was able to do against the Rams as well. Cooper BB, and he played in two different positions. He took some reps at guard, he took some reps the center. Now he's earning some starting reps at center. I feel like this is a situation where Cooper BB needs to get as much preseason play in these remaining two games as possible. In that battle with Brockafflin, because I think that's still very much. It's it's almost hit to head now, whereas Tyler goutt and that's already soft. So now we're talking bubble wrap for the third Cooper BB.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, no, no, no, not to have to go with this, if we if we even I'm leaving, even I'm leaving, okay.
Speaker 4: His head then receive said almost this over. It's almost they had a clothes head almost.
Speaker 6: You know, this was this was inevitable. I mean on drafted that I agree with this was inevitable. You know, I like that to sign the sounds of inevitability. You know, this is this was inevitable. This Tyler guy, Cooper BB. This was when the Cowboys talked about being better against the running the ball this year. These two guys had in mind, you know, and listen, they know what they happen bout Coff. Okay, it was and I talked on Monday Cooper B. The arrol was going up, everything is going up. And you saw in the game, you know, just his reps. His reps were just I mean, he was dirting people. He was just showing everything. But he's gonna continue to get better and get better again. The biggest strongest center the Cowboys have had since Andre Gerard.
Speaker 4: That's saying a lot, you know, and.
Speaker 6: Travis was great, but you know, he was the biggest strongest center the Cowboys. Then we're talking about getting better against the as the running team, Cooper BB helps them do that. And so you know, yeah, I think that this was you know, yes, it's a guy had to clean their pass because he was the number one.
Speaker 4: First round pick.
Speaker 6: That's why Mojie is sent to Concerverty because we drafted in the first round to play.
Speaker 2: Now, we drafted to start.
Speaker 6: Okay, I know the coaches got to, you know, put up this pretense about earning us that, but we drafted the first round. If you who we think you are, you're going to start. And that's that's how it was. Certainly the third round pick. There's a little more of a question because it felt because he was changing the position, which we talked about and him having to really adjust and change the position. But again he was drafting third round because they value him as a player. They know what he did in college. You know, the upside was there. And again Haubin, love his attitude, love his work after we had no pedigree, right, you know, what he's doing is is already a bonus. Yeah, what he's been is already a bonus to how he came into the league. And so, yes, you want him to be that guy. He's you know, he's certainly you know, you have a quality back of it. Something happens, but you want him to push. You don't want to give it to him. But again this was inevitable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Hoffmann is an absolute dog, and you got it. You can't take that away from an absolute dog. But the ceiling on Cooper b B is just simply higher in my opinion, And I think it's kind of like the quote from Thanos, right, you know, Dreaded, run from it, Destiny Robs all the same. And I think we can all agree and we were all on the same page going into the training this year's training camp and that eventually, likely sooner than later, Cooper b B would take the throw of starting center.
Speaker 4: We've just been impressed.
Speaker 5: At how long it's taking, or I should say how long bark Hoffman is able to kind of stave him off in this battle easy.
Speaker 2: I actually impressed it. They just ripped the band that first persons game.
Speaker 6: I mean because they because they didn't do it imediah and they talked, you know, and I'll talked about it, but now, okay, fine, let's just get it.
Speaker 4: Just get it.
Speaker 5: I like that they just needed Cooper Weaver to get the snaps down, and he said Cooper BB in speaking from practice yesterday, after the walkthrough, he was asked, uh, how how the snap coming along?
Speaker 4: Is he thinking about it still? And he said, no, it's second nature to me now.
Speaker 5: If they don't say anything to me after a snap, it means I did the snap well, but he's no longer thinking about it. And that was one of the biggest things I was concerned about, and I used to work concerned lightly, was that as long as Cooper BB is continuing to think about the snap, it's going to create a slower reaction time going from snap to block because he's wondering if that snap was right. I love the fact that he said it second nature now because now he can just snap and go and he was already doing that against the Rams.
Speaker 4: It only gets better for me.
Speaker 6: And I like what McCarthy said when I ask him on the walk off. He just talked about his contact balance. You know, his athleticism. You know, you don't think about big budd, but you just watch it. Look at some of the taping the game. Is his contact balance, athleticism, getting out, getting down field.
Speaker 2: It just he's a better athlete.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, up and down with velocity. Yeah, a wrecking ball. All right, boyow Collins pla center. We got to take our first break when we come back. I want to ask the boys.
Speaker 3: Has the hype died down from the wide receiver group outside of the Jalens M Got a lot to got a lot to ponder here. We'll be right back after these messages.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G his fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast Reliable, Secure five.
Speaker 9: G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 1: Add dot com slash five G for you for days.
Speaker 10: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase helps support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee.
Speaker 1: Today. They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Dear Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf, the official lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 9: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care. You have a wedding to plan, a or kid to put through school, and inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does, and it's here to help. With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it to. Bank of America. What would you like a power to do? Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com. Bank of America and a member after I see Eco Credit Opportunity Lender to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee. This segment, or this portion of the Talking Cowboys is brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven, they changed a readup on me.
Speaker 4: They did bring up, they took, they took pause.
Speaker 3: We've had a lot of linebacker play here at camp that has shown up. Actually it showed up in that preseason game. If you're looking at Willie Harvey, if you're looking at Julius Wood and Brock Mogenson, Rock Mogenson. So how are we feeling now about the linebacker room? And is this a one eighty compared to our linebacker room this time last year?
Speaker 5: Yes, it is a complete one eighty. And when you said juwis will you meant you were talking safety, you meant Jeef Johnson, Jason john Jason Johnson, Jason Johnson.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: So the thing about the linebacker room is number one, you have actual linebackers. Last year, you know, you had Leyton Vanderish and you had the Moon Clark, and then when Leyton Vanderrish went down injury, all you had was the Moon Clark. Right now, you have Eric Kendricks, Damone Clark, Damar Fionnover shown, Marrius Leo File, you have Brock Moguson, you have Willie Harvey Junior, you have Jason Johnson, you have Buddy Johnson. Yes, right, So you have guys that even below the top four, they're making plays on defense but also making an impact on special teams as well.
Speaker 4: Jason Johnson, he got Micah Parsons. You know he plays lineback. I didn't forget. I called the linebackers out.
Speaker 5: That's the linebacker, that certain package for Michael Parsons's defensive weapon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he has his own designation. Stop trying to call him DEE or LB. It's W.
Speaker 2: It's W.
Speaker 4: And as a matter of fact, the boy you play him in the versatile way, the bigger the W. Stick with me on this, folks, stick with me on this.
Speaker 5: But Jason Johnson, for example, he trans he was the first interception out here in Oxnark. Yes, right, he gets an interception in the first game. He's doing the right thing. Buddy Johnson flashed on special teams. Brock Moguson got the twenty six yard interception return. Cowboys offense unfortunately weren't able to capitalize on that or any of the other interceptions. But this linebacker corps is flying around demo. First series of the game. He's involved. He's right there. Stuff in the run. He's flying all over the field. So yes, it absolutely has done a one to eighty. And you asked the question about the wide receivers. Has that kind of dropped off? And my answer was no, because it's too soon to tell this. This linebacker corps is up up in a way. So if they continue this trajectory, then Mike Zimmers want to get exactly what he wants, which is in demands, which is exceptional linebacker playing his defensive scheme.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again Overshawn. Of course, you know it's eighteen.
Speaker 4: The band bandit.
Speaker 2: You know, we got, we got it, we got.
Speaker 6: You got marriage and you know guys that that are showing up, and you know, certainly you're talking about someone undrafted guys.
Speaker 2: And Harvey came from uf L and and those guys.
Speaker 4: But I love Harvey.
Speaker 3: You know, I made an interesting comparison to to Harvey the other day. Does he kind of remind you guys a little bit of Bruce Carter.
Speaker 4: That's not a bad hump.
Speaker 3: The way he's able to get from sideline side three run.
Speaker 5: Now, I guess I got he's got keep talking, he's got some speed to him. This is when the science starts. Okay, four six, Okay, let's just close that time. I was up around the help out about now.
Speaker 2: He run it down because was the second round pick for a reason.
Speaker 4: And as far as coverage goes with Harve though he's talking.
Speaker 2: Did you see it? I mean when you see Bruce card, I mean he did. He played long enough to see something.
Speaker 5: Me. Absolutely, we're not going to disrespect the five four like that. Bruce was doing some things, man did He did some things when he played. Let's put it that way. He did some things when he played. He did some things when he played. Man, he was at least in the conversation for an extension.
Speaker 4: I'll never forget that he was. But but that's not.
Speaker 6: Your initial question about the linebacker court being a one eighty much.
Speaker 2: Improved or last year, of course, but that was my design. They didn't have linebackers last year.
Speaker 6: When they lost linebackers, they moved to safety linebacker, you know, because they're doing a big nickel and they didn't value linebackers last year.
Speaker 2: So they couldn't help but be better. Couldn't help but be better, right, because that's.
Speaker 6: Deep though this deep, they're deep because they against got linebackers on the roster.
Speaker 2: The on the roster last year so they got it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's how many true linebackers did we have on this But you know what last.
Speaker 4: Year, yeah we had two.
Speaker 2: I mean they got real linebackers. So that's part of the design.
Speaker 6: But you know, one thing that Zimber talked about yesterday we talked to he said, you know, and we talked about the bigger guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, and you want bigger guys and all this stuff.
Speaker 6: But he said, even as Parcels found out when he came and want bigger linebackers, the game has changed. They got to be able to run. You know, they got to be able to run because they got to cover to get spread out, and so so everybody's on where you're gonna you know, he said, there will be a lot of times when you just have two linebackers on the field, or even like last year because of the game, you know and certain but when you when it's time to run, you need to be able to have your big guys out there.
Speaker 2: But there will be a lot of time when we have two linebackers on the field. He said that yesterday. So you know, uh, they still got to be able to run.
Speaker 6: They still got be able to come and go do some things, But yaes it's by design to this line bank or as much approval looks much better as one ap of last year because they'd had a lineber last year.
Speaker 5: But also to that point as well is the fact that Mike Zimmer clearly is not willing to wait to need something in order to try to tweak something. And here's what I mean by that Byron Vaughns is gone, Nick Vigil, Darius Harris there here.
Speaker 4: He's not waiting to see if there's a depth issue.
Speaker 5: He's identifying things in real time, and he'll bring you in, Mike Zimmer will and you probably have three or four opportunity to prove yourself and he might swap you out. But I say that to say real quick before it toss it back to you because in the names that we were mentioning who made an impact at the linebacker position, not only in camp but also in the preseason opener, Nick Vigil, he kept jumping off the film to.
Speaker 4: Me on special teams.
Speaker 5: There's a little bit of work there to be done in the defensive scheme because he just got here. But Nick Vigil, he's already showing some value for Mike Zimmer and for bones fossil.
Speaker 4: So keep an eye on a guy like Nick Vigil.
Speaker 5: His IQ was praised highly by Mike Zimmer coming in and when they when they brought him in a couple of weeks ago. If that and he's he's taken to it real fast and existing relationship, right.
Speaker 6: And that's what I'm saying and trying to get to that is that when you when you talk about winning, now, that's what this is about. I mean, yeah, they got they they went and got veterans, they went and got some guys you know, the INICI virtuals he has experienced with him because of the things, because he.
Speaker 2: Knows the defense, you know. You know, he's trying to bring in guys that that can help them win.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: As Jerry said, we're trying to win all in.
Speaker 6: This is part of their versions, their version of all in you know, in training camp, because they're they're bringing in guys, bringing in veterans, are not waiting as you say.
Speaker 2: The fighting.
Speaker 6: They're bringing in veterans who have experienced who can help them. They're trying to get help now absolutely, you know. And then you know obviously it's not Matthew Judaan, which I hope they go and trade for if they could do this something like that, that would be great.
Speaker 4: But I would love it.
Speaker 6: But but but but but they but going in and getting veterans who they know, can is driven the car before in the game, can help them out on special teams, can help them win. Now to go along with the younger, they guy young, because you got young guys in Overshewn, you got young guys in marriage, You got some young guys you know, and so you need some of these other veterans.
Speaker 5: Everyone not named Damian Wilson or Eric Kendricks has a lot of youth on them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, boys, before we leave, I have one more question. What do you want to see from Trey Lance in Game two?
Speaker 5: Touch and decisiveness. I want to see him process more quickly. I want to see him trust himself to make the throws and to throw guys open as opposed to waiting for them to become open. Because by the time you wait for them to become open in the NFL, it's too late.
Speaker 4: It's too late.
Speaker 5: You got to pull the trigger as the moment you see that, take that risk, and yeah, sometimes it might turn into a PBu, it might even turn into an interception. But if you don't take those risks, it might never turn into a touchdown or a chunk play or anything like that. I want to see decisive. I want to see touch on the passes. Too many of his passes are sailing. I need to see those dropping more in the bucket more often. But he made some good throws, so the signs are there. Just got to keep hammering away.
Speaker 3: And trusting your reads as well.
Speaker 4: Trust that's a big part of that.
Speaker 6: And I'm not going to add to that because that's fine, that's what you need to do. But he also needs to do get the damn ball in the end zone.
Speaker 3: You need to see a touchdown, touchdown.
Speaker 2: You're finish it in his zone. On top of that, he does all that.
Speaker 6: You gotta finish those those drives in his own because you gotta score a touchdown perfectly.
Speaker 4: In the air because we know he can run.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, no, yeah, but yeah, but first of all, this game will get the team in the zone if you if you run one end and fifty, that take it.
Speaker 4: But but yeah, you want take it, you take it.
Speaker 5: But there's a reason fourth and goal from the three that they're throwing their balls trying to evaluate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, There's no question about it.
Speaker 6: So you yeah, so throw the battle on time, get the battle in the zone, uh score, that's what you need from and just and continue to have some experience and do some of those teams. But it's it's all about trade. We again, we know what you got in Cooper. You know what you got in that they need to find out would have gotten the trade not just for this year? Is he worth investing in the next year as a backup court?
Speaker 5: And the more the better we get from Trey over the next two preseason games, the better we can evaluate the wide receivers behind the Jalens right, and then we can revisit that and actually have some some good data on what they're trending towards.
Speaker 3: And that's why I was asking. I think it was last week about you know, his relationship with like who has the best relationship with receiver wise? Based on the game, it certainly looked like it. But I like the clarification there. All right, boys, that'll be it for talking Cowboys. Thank you so much for tuning in. We will be back one more time from training camp live in our California one more time next Monday. We will see you next time. Thank you very much for tuning in.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.