Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome home. Y'all, it's Native Lampod here with the Breakfast Club. We are your host.
Speaker 4: I'm Angela Raie, Andrew Gillam, Tiffany Crod, Leonard McKelvey, d j M V.
Speaker 5: Where we at? Where we at?
Speaker 3: Huh not dj MVS HU HU.
Speaker 6: Yes, Howard person would say the real HU. But I know I just represented for Howard HBC.
Speaker 3: You love tonight. You got a lot of a love on the panel tonight. We before.
Speaker 7: Actually we should do a real call.
Speaker 8: Well we got called he you the Florida A and M University fam you.
Speaker 3: I have an honorary doctor from Wiley College.
Speaker 5: I got an honorary doctor from South Carolina State University. Bull Dogs.
Speaker 3: The real Hu Hampton University.
Speaker 1: Delaware State University is the building.
Speaker 7: Yeah, how much?
Speaker 9: How much student loan that up here?
Speaker 5: Though? Let's talk about that.
Speaker 8: I ain't got none.
Speaker 3: But it's all out and Obama was in, you know what I mean. So he took care of us. I was real good.
Speaker 8: But now we're on the campus of the Howard University, And I got to tell you, I think I was.
Speaker 7: I was.
Speaker 8: I was feeling like tonight was gonna be significant in the first place, but to have the first time that a campus, a college campus is used in an election night victory for any candidate for president over the history of this country has never happened before.
Speaker 7: In the rst time it happens.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it happens on the grounds of the historically black college or university, the first for many, the founding place for almost every Black Greek organization, and I think a model for many hbc.
Speaker 7: Us around the country.
Speaker 8: Just excellent academics, excellent athletics, music, culture, access to government.
Speaker 7: It's an incredible school, a great representation of HBC used.
Speaker 3: Even what's happening here tonight.
Speaker 6: You know, we saw before we came on Live with you guys, the homecoming court walked down and we saw the young students and their crowns and you know, their royal regalia, and I just it felt like Wakanda come to life. And I think for any of us who attended HBCUs you hear people say, oh, I wish Wakanda was real, Well, it was real for us. Curents during that time, and I feel that here tonight. The Divine Nine just did a universal step show on stage, and then there's a lot of strolling happening, and I'm thinking about the people on the press risers who don't look like us, who are probably.
Speaker 1: White, you ude, everybody, like, what is going on on.
Speaker 7: This stumping everyone's jumping around with.
Speaker 1: They are jumping around for excitement for her, but also.
Speaker 3: It feels spiritual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I will just say, this is going to be the blackest election that covered you have today.
Speaker 3: This is a joy.
Speaker 1: It feels like a family union to be with y'all and in such a remarkable place. I have watched breakfast club sore politically like you guys engage and have talked to so many candidates and it was a necessary stop.
Speaker 3: Now it's a requirement.
Speaker 1: You guys for the first time are doing election night coverage, and I gotta know how it feels.
Speaker 5: I don't know yet. I'm waiting to see it for praying grandmother's because I believe in praying grandmother It's a whole lot of prying grandmothers all across the country tonight, So we're gonna see because if things don't go the way we want them to go. We're gonna have to think twice about the prying grandmother thing.
Speaker 7: About that.
Speaker 5: But every you got every black grandmother in America praying right now everything everyone.
Speaker 8: Yeah, come on now, yeah, God gave us choice.
Speaker 3: Though you are so confident earlier what happened.
Speaker 9: Oh I'm still confident. Okay, But where are we right now?
Speaker 5: Because people are texting my phone and people are saying things like should.
Speaker 9: We be paying it? And I'm like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: It's early, early, early, that's right.
Speaker 6: It's the likelihood of us knowing who the next president is tonight it's really slim. You'll recall in twenty twenty, we didn't know until the Saturday after Tuesday's election. And so I would tamper expectations here that we will actually will know somethings.
Speaker 8: Even if we don't have the total results from every state, certain precincts performed certain ways and states. For instance, in my state, I can tell you whether the redwoods are going to the super ruby redwood will be and if they are less than that, if the red is not as dark, meaning it's a light pink, which means some of those voters in those red districts have gone over and voted blue in those places, diminishing the power of the Republican voters.
Speaker 9: So we Day County came through for Trump today tonight, though.
Speaker 8: Day County has come through unfortunately the last three four cycles.
Speaker 3: I just want to say present Cuban that I asked the breakfast club folks how they felt about it.
Speaker 7: They wanteel good.
Speaker 1: They talk about it, but no only one talked about it.
Speaker 3: I want to make sure I would say this.
Speaker 10: It's it's a feeling that I've It feels like a family REUNI. You're like larning and I went on the yard. We were partying with with the students, with the alumni. And it's not just Howard University students.
Speaker 3: It's all HBC.
Speaker 10: We've seen people from FAMUL, We've seen people from North Carolina, A and T. We see some hamp University people, some Morgan State people and they're just excited.
Speaker 3: They just they feel like they're scene finally.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and uh, it's a great opportunity just to be there with them, like it's like no other. Like I thought it was like homecoming, but this is better than a homecome. So I'm really enjoying the moment, what about you.
Speaker 3: I had ran into.
Speaker 5: Look like, you know what, drink.
Speaker 3: When you do you too much?
Speaker 7: I'm not.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I can't act up because Angela right up here you said that.
Speaker 3: I look like, yeah, I gotta be careful you Okay. Anyway, I had I was down.
Speaker 1: When we were walking back from the yard, I saw April Ryan. I was like, oh my god, is April Ryan. Then I was like, i'ma go over and said hi to her. And when I went over and we were talking, she came up here. She said the same thing. She was like, media, black media feels seen because it's like they in our home right now, anybody who doesn't look like us. Tonight we got to explain what has happened. But it's breaking down. You know, She's been on the hill for a very long time. She's been holding it down, and a lot of times she goes to battle with people who don't look like her.
Speaker 3: So she's like, oh, the it's reversed now.
Speaker 1: She was literally the only black representation we had in the White House pastry for a long time. So she you are watching black history, yay, Lauren, we love it. So one of the things that I think we should address, is this whole electoral college versus popular voting. A lot of people I've been asking questions about that. We got some smart folks up here who're taking it on. Tiffany Cross, look like you're ready.
Speaker 6: Well, I honestly think that is something I'm looking out for tonight, and I think there it will be. I've long said on NLP that I am anticipating political violence. I think the violence will happen in the courts, and I think there will be violence in the streets. Already we've seen fake electors in Wisconsin, people who have been alone action deniers put in positions of authority. We'll see tonight if Republican governors who did not if the election results did not go their way, will they certify results?
Speaker 3: We are at a time vote well, we don't know. We'll see.
Speaker 6: We are at a time where we are really questioning will people accept election results they don't like? Now, I will point out the slithering example out of Georgia when Donald Trump did ask the Secretary of State there to find him eleven thousand votes.
Speaker 3: Those Republicans said no.
Speaker 6: Right now, the election deniers have been elevated in their roles of power when we saw the insurrection here in Washington, DC and the nation's capitol on January sixth. This is a unique space. We have over thirty plus law enforcement agencies. When you consider electors out in some of these jurisdictions, they don't have that same level of protection.
Speaker 7: Well, let me ask you a question.
Speaker 10: Can you break down for like even my kids wanted to know, why did they have an electorial college? Why was it created? Like everybody says the popular vote for showIn, but it was created for a particular reason. Can you explain why it was created for people that don't don't know.
Speaker 7: Yes, it was a voting.
Speaker 3: Was really what it was? Were basically used.
Speaker 8: Well, the electoral college was was put into place because they feared the balance or populated states, the bigger states, the New York's of the time, the Pennsylvania's at the time, would basically use their populations, the Bigfoot, all of the agrarian areas, all the farmers. These are the planting class, the people who had the money.
Speaker 3: They did, but it was the mostly southern things.
Speaker 8: They were mostly Southern states who were afraid that Northeastern states populations would take them right, so they the Framers we were. We didn't have Confederates yet. The Framers at the time established that they would appropriate based off of UH populations and then allotting respective states to receive votes that they would then cast those votes in an electoral college convention for whoever would be president.
Speaker 1: I just I do want to point out that they did not have the Confederacy, but they had Confederate mentality already, and it absolutely electoral college is a vestige of slavery and is absolutely racistic.
Speaker 8: Preceded slavery, but that's not It preceded slavery's ending. Yes, but the country don't ever having to give votes to black people.
Speaker 7: Didn't consist of this.
Speaker 9: And they split over the fact. Didn't some of them want the popular vote?
Speaker 5: But then somebody wanted Congress to be able to decide the president.
Speaker 3: They wanted electors, They.
Speaker 8: Wanted the people to inform who the delegates would be to the.
Speaker 7: Convention to decide the press.
Speaker 3: So why can't we get rid of it now?
Speaker 7: That was a constitutional amends.
Speaker 8: Republicans will allow basically the electoral college to be delist. They have for powertcha that more power into that system, Iowa, none of us are moving there that state will remain what it looks like, and therefore they're the to continue to be able to bigfoot over states, like there's no reason California that basically half the vote that comes out of that state means nothing.
Speaker 5: Andrew, how big of a deal with the Iowa poll this week that came out?
Speaker 7: Big ass deal.
Speaker 8: Okay, there's a big deal because the last president to win the state of Iowa's Barack Obama. And again at that time, it was by close margins. They were just polled six months before and Donald Trump had a twenty seven twenty seven point lead.
Speaker 7: To look now and.
Speaker 8: See that she crept up to potentially three points ahead of him in a three point you know, margin of era is incredible, and it's likely because of the abortion bad that was implemented in that state has had now almost seven six months out ago.
Speaker 7: And people don't like what they're seeing, right.
Speaker 6: You know, we're saying it's incredible, and yes, it is incredible in terms of what we know about the country. But I want to punctuate that point with its fucking incredible.
Speaker 3: That she is in competition with this half witted man.
Speaker 1: Is everything he has done, The fact that the race is this is close is a travesty. I'm so proud as a black person and perfectly a black woman to see the most qualified woman who has worked in every branch of government, the executive, the legislative. While she hasn't worked in the judicial, but she was on the Cristiary committee. So yeah, right, she had Yes, precisely, so she had a role in the judiciary branch as well. This man has no plans, no experience. His first job in government was as President of the United States.
Speaker 6: And the race is this close. So I trust that America will do the right thing tonight. But I've been saying either way, America will get the.
Speaker 3: President they deserve tonight. Yes, that's what I'm gonna ask you.
Speaker 1: So with everything that you just said, right, it being that close, when Kamala wins, what is she up against? Because we talk about a lot about like, no, you still got to challenge your person that you want to win.
Speaker 3: You still got to what is she up against?
Speaker 1: Because there's a lot of people because that margin is close, that are like, she shouldn't be there. What does that look like? What does the first day out look like, first week out? Well, she's gonna have to use her executive power. On day one, we'll have to see what the legislative branch looks like. We'll democrats, right, what will Democrats control?
Speaker 6: Will Democrats control the Senate? Will Democrats control the House? I will will jump out and say I think Democrats will take the House, which will give us another historic position in making Congressman from Brooklyn Hakim Jeffries the first black Speaker of the House, the first black male Speaker of the House.
Speaker 3: So I can imagine that there are some pockets of conservative America that will lose their mind, and I think she will be if this.
Speaker 6: If the Republicans control the Senate, it can be a deadlock. I mean, because that is the courts, that's where you confirm justices. So it can be challenging. On the other side of that, though, she will also have to confront demands on the left. She's made some strange bedfellows in bringing coalitions together this cycle, and she has extended herself to Republicans. She has promised Republicans' positions in the cabinet. She's promised to have a bipartisan legislation. And so I think on our side it's people who support her. For sure, we still have to hold her accountable to our agenda. And there are people who want for sure absolutely uh ceasefire in Gaza. She's gonna have to deal with that. The black Man agenda that she put out, that was a plan. I want to see it execute it, so she she will have her hands full.
Speaker 5: I want to ask you about that if if if she loses, which which I don't think she will, I don't know, but would that be a testament to like, do big do big tent politics still work?
Speaker 9: Or should you be focusing on niche groups?
Speaker 5: You can't because she brought together Republicans, she brought together progressives, She's brought together you know, black men, Latino men. If do big tent politics still work or should be focused?
Speaker 9: Should you be focused on I think that.
Speaker 3: Is big ten politics to focus.
Speaker 5: I know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: If she loses, though, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: No, I think should should she lose, which again I don't think that's gonna happen. Should she lose, I would say that the country has shown yet again that they do not want a black woman as president. Even when you see a lot of the exit polls and you're asking people what are your issues that you care about. And you have people in Wisconsin san immigration, what is your big immigration and with immigration issue in Wisconsin, that is subtext to me for I don't want these black and brown people taking over the country. I think we have to look ahead and start moving in conviction. By the year twenty forty four, there will be no racial majority in this country. So I think big tent politics includes all of us. And this is the time that we're seeing what does a government that is for the people, buy the people of the people look like what it includes all of us? Before we would have to wait what the white folk's gonna do, how they gonna vote. I think we have to let go of that frame of thought, and I think this election tonight will show that is an antiquated way of thinking and moving forward. We finally have the privilege to vote with our convictions and not wait to be led by the white voting block in this country.
Speaker 8: Charlam Mane, I think the last time we're in the last stages of why big tick politic politics explain You're right. So typically, if you're a Republican, you can rely on the fact that the color of your skin is largely going to be the prerequisite to you being a member of the party. That's why it is the whitest party of the two party system. Democratic side. Our coalition is built up in order to get to fifty plus one, which is half plus one person or one vote. You've got to be able to if the color of our skin is not the thing that unites us under one party, because we're not enough. We may get eleven percent of the population, we need the other forty whatever to get us over. And so if the Democratic Party has to get a slice of the Latino community, we have to get a slice of the white female vote. We even have to earn a slice of white male votes. And our coalition right now LGBT go beyond that and list all of the others.
Speaker 7: That's what the party's made up of.
Speaker 8: And it's politics is about that complex because you got.
Speaker 7: To meet everybody where you know where their need is.
Speaker 8: And unfortunately, right now, the white majory, already, the white conservative majority is still quite frankly.
Speaker 7: Close to fifty one percent.
Speaker 8: So they could vote together and still be able to hold this thing. But soon, and you've already pointed out, it won't be enough to just say we're in community because we're the majority because we're all white, Gona, they're gonna have to do and say more to bring more people their direction or for them to win elections. I'd like to ask y'all as a call and show you get the voce from from the American people very directly, almost every single day. And I'd love to hear when did the tenor of your listeners begin to shift to a place where it was no longer just skeptical of a Kamala Harris, but it began to really embrace what a Kamala Harris.
Speaker 7: President's it could look like.
Speaker 5: I don't even know.
Speaker 7: Maybe that's on the other side of they have you.
Speaker 9: I still didn't, you're not convined. I still didn't feel that totally yet.
Speaker 3: Now I can tell you when it happened for me personally.
Speaker 1: When if I remember when it was first and ounced I was talking to Charlamagne about it.
Speaker 3: I didn't. I was like, I don't know if this is the way.
Speaker 1: Like I was nervous because I felt like she had been pushed to the back behind Biden. I mean, she's VP, so like you know she has to be there, But I was like, I don't know if the push can be strong enough, cause it was just it was such a great cloud over it.
Speaker 3: And then that.
Speaker 1: First day I was like, oh, like this was the answer the whole time, like just sit right here. I saw the way that the world was reacting to her, and it's the momentum. And I felt like, Okay, if she really knows herself what she does, if she's really qualified, qualified, what she is, she has the background, what she does, all she need is the platform people, And I was here, you know what I mean.
Speaker 10: And I think people realize when when I think people started not liking Joe Biden, when they started seeing I would say early signs of dementia where he just didn't seem no. I would say that, and I think people that was the truth.
Speaker 3: That's what I seen.
Speaker 9: I said.
Speaker 3: I was like, man, ain't got dementia. I wish y'all was stopped up. It's given.
Speaker 1: That's something that we don't know. There was something happening.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't right, and I think a way out.
Speaker 10: And when they see Kamala, I think it was like, Wow, she is what people are saying. And then when they need to talk to when you start seeing her speak and see who she is.
Speaker 9: I mean, he's not wrong.
Speaker 5: It was when that money started coming in, when she raised all that money.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to tell you, she locked up the delegates and third, yeah, I'm like, I don't know. People realize like this don't be happening, like a black woman is like yeah, well, you guys, speaking of big tints, I think it's really important for us to recognize there was a big tint on the stage that that was there was a powerful moment and its display of black unity. Normally you see these folks as step shows and it's a battle.
Speaker 3: It's a full on battle. It's a full on battle. And today we have them joining us.
Speaker 1: It is the d nine. Everybody, the Divine nine ers line up behind us us, y'all, come on, come on, come on, got the Alphas, the Kappas, the Delta right here, high road to Zada.
Speaker 3: Hey, Hey, hey, hey, hey, all right, y'all, you guys can line up in front of a I'm missing, wrap around and line up in front.
Speaker 1: Just watch that phone. Honey, there you go. You're all good. Hey, y'all, can't feeling right here? I got a so we I'm gonna pass this mic is on. I'm gonna passy all this mic. Talk to us about how you're feeling tonight. It's on. Yes you can, okay, Okay, here we go, it's on. Is it on?
Speaker 3: It's on? She didn't hear me. The question was, how are you all feeling tonight? We're good, We're feeling very excited. Hell us your name and where you're from. My name is Imani Smith. I'm from Los Angeles, California.
Speaker 1: All right, West Coast. All right, tell us how you're feeling, y'all. We have another mic. Where is it? Lenard?
Speaker 3: Right, this one's on check check checks on. Now you can just pass them down. Yes.
Speaker 7: Hello. My name is Jamari Robinson.
Speaker 10: I'm a junior Criminology and Plogic Science double major Military Sciens minor from Columbus, Georgia by Publish, Florida.
Speaker 7: And I feel great tonight. See history be made?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: Hello everyone. My name is Lauren Marshall.
Speaker 1: I'm a senior health Sciences major from the biggest city in the best city, Chicago, Illinois.
Speaker 3: All right, Hi, everybody. My name is Aaria Jones.
Speaker 6: I'm a junior Human development major from Atlanta, Georgia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Atlanta.
Speaker 7: Hi.
Speaker 3: My name is Taylor Beard.
Speaker 1: I'm a junior journalist major business administration minor from Saburn, Maryland.
Speaker 3: Right, hey, gentlemen, Dlston got the mic? Yep, yeah.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 9: Branda McCaskill.
Speaker 5: Uh, junior finance major from Detroit, Michigan. I feel extremely excited about tonight. I think we're all very very proud of our university and the products of it, and you know, thankful to be here for sure.
Speaker 1: Oh you you Boston up? Uh huh, yup, yup.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 1: My name is Kirsten Branch and I'm from Houston, Texas.
Speaker 3: Alright, h town?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 3: Next fellok, ahead yourself? Where are you from? Where you're from?
Speaker 8: Hi?
Speaker 7: Y'all doing? My name is Mikaye Manuel.
Speaker 10: I'm a junior sports medicine major psychology mine from Queens, New York.
Speaker 3: Queens Radio, sir.
Speaker 7: All right, Hello, my name is Jay Armant.
Speaker 5: I'm a senior journalism major business administration miner from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 9: Well, hep you' all.
Speaker 4: My name is Josh George Louis I am a graduating senior music education major classical voice miner from Houston, Texas by way of Blackfia, Louisiana.
Speaker 3: Hie.
Speaker 1: Hello everyone, my name is Devin McDaniel. I am a senior finance major from Trenton, New Jersey.
Speaker 3: All right, that can we get everybody? Hello? Everyone? My name is Kaliah Leech.
Speaker 6: I am a senior public relations major sports administration miner from Baltimore, Maryland.
Speaker 7: I think Mike Ovin. Hello.
Speaker 3: My name is Brice Face. I'm a junior health science major.
Speaker 11: Buys your miner from Berkeley Heights, New Jersey.
Speaker 5: How you doing?
Speaker 7: My name is Jordan News.
Speaker 1: I'm a senior Biology Honors major Kevishrmano from Brooklyn, New York.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 3: New York is heavy over here, everybody introducing.
Speaker 7: Hello everyone. My name is Chase Cubia. I am a junior finance major from Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Speaker 12: I think last, but not least, Hey, guys, my name is Dylan Thomas. I'm a senior business major from Houston, Texas. Happy to be here.
Speaker 3: All right, let's give it up for the divide.
Speaker 9: Night has fling about the night.
Speaker 12: There's hope and there's fear. I think maybe equally so of both. But we're choosing to stay optimistic no matter what we're seeing because we've been over here with you guys.
Speaker 7: So I pray that everything is going well.
Speaker 12: But I think that with democracy on the ballot, it's super important that we have somebody that is standing as a beacon of hope in the same way that hopefully we're.
Speaker 7: Able to be.
Speaker 3: I love it. Well, thank you guys so much for joining us. Let's give it up at the divide night. All right, well, thank y'all so much. We are going to be watching and praying with y'all and appreciate you joining the native lampard of the breakfast stuff. See you soon.
Speaker 10: Alrighty, all right, it's not gonna ask you guys.
Speaker 3: Any you guys pledge, No, no, no, there's no greed. No I who comes now? My brother is a member of five made a sigma I was and gold. All right, you don't pledge, you said, Hampton is the w you want to step? Want they want to step picture, let's do it? Said you said? There water stand. We thought that. I thought. I said, I wanted to set my bad dud.
Speaker 1: Don't out out and Brittany Burry, our good friend from the d n C who brought over the divine come over this way. I feel like the light end is better. Watch that phone, honey, that's what I'm saying. I didn't want you to go fall. Yeah, that's our connection to.
Speaker 3: The Okay, So while they're taking southeast, we are back with live coverage.
Speaker 1: If you're just now joining us, we are live at the Mecca at h U how University in Washington, DC, where Kamala Harris is expecting to address a very large, lively step dance and crowd tonight. So anyway, we are back at it, and we were talking about it how we're feeling. We asked the young people, any numbers, any numbers?
Speaker 3: Well right now?
Speaker 9: Should we even be looking at numbers right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: That's the thing, you know, I can't help it. You get like little increments of numbers coming in. I don't know that.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 6: They will announce on the screen over there, so we'll see when they start projecting states.
Speaker 10: For any time I'm here him charing, that usually means we have some want to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Then I think the other.
Speaker 1: Thing to know is overall, if maybe we can talk overall vote count. Harris right now has twenty six million, nine hundred and sixty undred and twenty eight votes. Donald Trump has thirty million, one hundred and seventy nine nine hundred ninety three votes and others. Other candidates have a seven hundred and forty five thousand plus vote, So that's a significant.
Speaker 3: Number for for the others.
Speaker 1: Maryland, Massach since New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington d C. Have all been called for Kamala project She's projected to win those states and Mississippi SORR at the top here. She expected to win Delaware too, are the ESKI Delaware? Yeah, I'm sorry, Henny, I voted for her in Delaware. You said I made that?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh, Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina. Way to go in the our South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, West Virginia, and.
Speaker 3: Wyoming have all been projected.
Speaker 6: I wonder if I have because in Delaware we also stand to get another black woman like the Senate Senator Lisa Blunt Rochester.
Speaker 3: Has that race been called? Do we have data on that?
Speaker 1: I don't see that on T Well, I'm gonna twitter, y'all got the official summer here with.
Speaker 6: Her at Senator Lisa Blunt Rochester. Assuming that will happen, another call on daisas yes.
Speaker 1: Has been called a fifty six point four percent of the vote.
Speaker 3: She is a actually a senator. She will be with you, sworn absolutely.
Speaker 6: In Maryland, you also have another black woman poised to go to the Senate and that.
Speaker 3: Has not been called.
Speaker 1: But she it looks like she's winning right now. She's leading with uh fifty percent of the voter in fifty five point four percent to forty two point six percent. I don't know why it's not called, but she's got a wrong's former governor Larry Hogan in Maryland.
Speaker 6: Republican governor that she's squaring off again. So if you can't see what's happening behind us, there is a massive crowd right here on Howard's campus who are excited, two thousand people.
Speaker 3: I agree, it's the see of us and it looks beautiful.
Speaker 5: I think they've been serving food, Tiffany, because everybody over there got quiet and still they were dancing and all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 3: A little that is true. Maybe they all went to Chick fil A like you, or maybe anestly they maybe Lenard is projecting, y'all know, was it? They weren't dancing, they were going like line they.
Speaker 7: Were the wobble.
Speaker 10: They've been here for a long time. They've been for at least five six o'clock dancing from.
Speaker 3: Five tired, so well they stay here the entire time.
Speaker 5: Ok. Yeah, she will speak tonight, right regardless.
Speaker 3: Yes, she will come out and address the crowd at some point.
Speaker 6: But again, I you know, I don't think that she will be able to declare anything tonight. And even if she were, I wonder, Lisa, we can confirm that Senator Lisa Blunt Rochester is a senator. Angela said, I want to shout out loans on the side.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you could hear. She might not be able to hear us. Yeah, she needs some hand phone. She needs some handphones immediately because she didn't hear us call that race already.
Speaker 6: But thank you, that's the case. We miss it, So thank you.
Speaker 5: Surprises.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm gonna tell you guys, and they they're probably gonna laugh at me crazy.
Speaker 3: I'm an optimist. Okay, what did I do?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 3: He keeps? I thought she said I'm driving. Well, I was just gonna say.
Speaker 1: When we did our live show from fam you on Friday, we have the state director from Harris for president. On it, she said she thought that Florida would surprise us, that she thought was trending in the right direction. But I gotta tell you, this is not the right direction direction what I think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so kind of you. I did. I didn't think Florida.
Speaker 6: You know, Florida for the people out there who are younger and may not remember, Florida used to be a purple state, which it was a swing state. You didn't know which way it was going to go. Ohio same thing, used to be a swing state. And now they're not the political jaganauts that they once were. Florida is solid red, Ohio is solid red. Has gone Republican in the past I think four election cycles. So we are really looking at a brand new electoral map here tonight. And it's crazy because the entire landscape the map has been thrown out since twenty sixteen. I know we have our brother here from Florida tonight. But Lenard, you'll recall how I feel about Florida.
Speaker 5: Oh absolutely, you called it the victom of the country country.
Speaker 3: Wait, what excuse me? Florida the country?
Speaker 7: I mean?
Speaker 1: Oh, I was just that called me off guard. I did well, there actually is shadow around Florida. I mean really, yes, yes, I would tell you why I did not.
Speaker 6: I will tell you why, because it has become a safe haven for white supremacists. If you look at activity down there. The FBI has already documented and confirmed that the greatest domestic security threat is uh white supremacy, white supremacy groups, and that is largely concentrated in Florida, so much so that there was a challenge in the punitive system down there in the prisons where the prison guards were also members of white supremacy gangs and abusing the prisoners there. So it's prevalent in every part of government uh in in Florida. So yeah, Florida can get castrated. Except for Andrews every other sentence saying.
Speaker 5: You know, the craziest people in America come from the Bronx and all of Florida, Tiffany want to castraight double. What were you able to do in Florida, Andrew? That was different than other politicians.
Speaker 8: I one, I don't think Florida is solidly read. I think they have beat Democrats into submission in Florida. You know, when you win so much of you then win and you change the laws to favor you. It's hard to compete in the system that is so terribly imbalanced. Right, But in our race, I mean we had to literally, I mean I spent two years knocking on doors and talking to people who don't get talked to in politics to convince them one that the government was something that should work for them, and two that if I get elected, if it isn't a government that serves you, we're going to bend it so that it does. And if it doesn't bend, then we'll break it and we'll start again so that it meets your needs. And I think we were able to convince a lot of people that vision was possible. Now Republicans again, they've taken the state. If you're Walt Disney World, the biggest corporation in the state of Florida, and a governor literally kicks your teeth in and sets an example for any other corporation in the state, if you step outside of line, like the Gestapo outcome and get you, then you start to quell a lot of opposition voices under that environment. That's exactly what Trump wants to replicate in the country. He wants things to happen because he said, so.
Speaker 3: Happened.
Speaker 5: Somebody did text me and they said, Iowa.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 9: They didn't give me no car.
Speaker 3: Hold on, I'm a refresh. I'm a refresh.
Speaker 8: If that were Iowa, that we'd be deafening sound right now maybe, And they just said Iowa.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you'all right now see one minute, Kamala Harris will.
Speaker 5: Text back and said what happened? But they ain't text me back yet.
Speaker 3: I don't have a car.
Speaker 5: Said that Trump is a narrower clear favorite to win Georgia and North Carolina. If he does carry those states, Harris would need to sweep Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin to win, a real possibility with a tall order.
Speaker 7: Nonetheless, it is a tall order.
Speaker 3: But I think she shall hold the blue wall they call it some states. This is frustrated. We're at also behind behind us. They're like, let me tell you she won New York. That's called that. Okay, that's what I was. That's what I saw a minute ago.
Speaker 1: But I didn't know if Yeah, that's called Rhode Island. Did I say Rhode Island? I fell and knew elect.
Speaker 3: I mean, let me let me use my little handed dandage.
Speaker 6: Vice President Harris now has ninety nine electro votes, Okay.
Speaker 8: One hundred and seventy eight oh so minus still say it's about one hundred short of and.
Speaker 3: The polls still haven't closed on the West coast.
Speaker 7: Correct, no, not yet.
Speaker 9: But none of the battlegrounds have come in yet, right right.
Speaker 8: None of the battlegrounds that matter for Kamala Harris have come in. Well, it looks like Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin of course is still out.
Speaker 10: Let me ask you guys a question for the younger people that are watching right now, why would they want to jump into politics?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 10: Because you look at politics and you see that they go into your life, They attack your family, they attack your values, they attack your morals, they make up stuff. Why would somebody young, why would you tell them it's a good reason to get into politics.
Speaker 6: I think I'm feeling for my brother Andrew here, but I think one thing that white supremacy has done Andrew again, these are Andrews words. It I'm stealing, but they have captured our imagination. They have taken our ability away to imagine what democracy would look like if we are its architects. And so the same thing that we tell people about voting. You try to give people. If you stop ten young people and say, okay, you're in charge of this five block radius. You in charge of when the trash gets picked up, You in charge of where they go to school. You in charge of how the school looks.
Speaker 3: You in charge of.
Speaker 6: How much taxes people are going to pay, and to keep all this functioning. You get to run all of that. That's why you go into politics, because you get to shape what society looks like when it includes you. And so if you give it to people that way, where it's a blank wall and you can be the architect of democracy, how do you want to shape it? That's an incredible amount of power and an incredible amount of privilege. The question is do you want to rule or do you want to lead? If you want to lead, this is the perfect time to get into politics, and I would encourage people to do. And you don't have to be the candidate. You can be a campaign manager, you can be a fundraiser, you can be you can work on a campaign as any of these numbers of communications director. There's so much that that that can impact political campaigns. What would you say Andrew, because you actually were a candidate and what made you ian man has been elected?
Speaker 3: That you were what eighteen?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean well, the last time I lost an election was third grade and from that point all the way through until I was forty, you know, forty one years old, I held the elective office. And for me, I almost think it's an instinct that when you see something that's wrong that you don't like, and it frustrates you so much to see it wrong every day in and every day out, the people who are different are likely to figure out a path to how it is that they shift that thing that brings them annoyance every day. And if that annoyance is greater than an annoyance means your livelihood, meaning you're sick of watching your mother struggle to pay rent or mortgage, or your father, you know, who suffers some from alcoholism because of his frustration on the job that he can never move up, then the urgency around how you shift the system becomes that much greater for you. So for me, it almost felt like a reflexive instinct that if the shit ain't right, then you do something to make it right.
Speaker 10: But how does it make you feel when you you know, you started so early, you did what you were supposed to do, you followed the rules, and then you see somebody like a Donald Trump, who really wasn't a politician, came from nowhere, show signs of racism to me and all the different things, grabbing him by the pussy and all the things that he said, and it seems like people.
Speaker 3: Just say, huh, it is and they elect him as president.
Speaker 7: I mean, how he's going against Kamalaharas. That just seems I think bed fellows.
Speaker 8: Bedfellows, you know, get to bed very strangely sometimes, and his case, it's so much easier to united people around a fight against extinction. Like if you feel viscerally that everything you know love about a place and that you want your child to grow in and also experience about a place, yes, you're gonna fight heaven and earth to keep that thing for them because you think it means their future, their future prosperity. If I had to guarantee that if I voted this way, my children's life would be better, they would experience it better, and you'd have a guarantee that that was the case. I'd be blindly Republican too if that was the party offering that right.
Speaker 10: But let me ask you, Angela and Tiffany, how do you deal with the fake news so much? Because people, You know, this is one thing that Charlemagne and Lauren will say. People call the radio and they don't know what's true and what's not right. You know, we say look it up, but when they.
Speaker 3: Google half the time what you're looking for, so they don't know how to find what's proper.
Speaker 10: They hear a candidate and the candidate is lying, say they don't know who they should agree. So what do you tell those people? Because they are trying to do their homework. They are trying to do their research, but a lot of the research is bs.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 6: You know, people will disagree with me because they say you can never blame voters, and I'm probably a unique voice in which I will sometimes blame voters. It is a response ability to participate in democracy. So people who say, well, I don't know how Vice President Harris feels, or I don't know where she stands on something, her plan is accessible. You can literally go to her website and see where she stands. You can go to Donald Trump's website and see where he stands, and you can make an informed decision about which candidate speaks to you. Now, when you pull out larger and just look at the media landscape, you know, I've been navigating newsrooms for twenty four years of my life. It has been incredibly frustrating envy, I will tell you, my heart is breaking watch to watch journalism die a slow death. And the challenge is because there are so many people in newsrooms who don't look like us, who are willing to extend humanity and understanding to people who are, you know, spitting in our face, trying to convince us it's rain. There are people who say, well, my grandmother voted for Donald Trump, and so she's not so bad.
Speaker 3: And those people are.
Speaker 6: Producers, and so they're willing to extend humanity to people when they it's lazy reporting, lazy journalism. When you interview people and they say, just today they say, were we're exit poles, Well you're who?
Speaker 3: Did you vote for Donald Trump? Why? I like his policies.
Speaker 6: So I'm like screaming, ask why, Ask what policies? This reporter said, well, what policies and the woman just said, I mean all of them. You you don't right, I think you were voting for him for a specific reason.
Speaker 5: I think we underestimate how you know, people will forget what you did, they'll forget what you said, but they'll never forget how you made them feel. And I was watching this Asian guy on CNN and he was saying that, you know, he feels like his small business did better four years ago when Trump was in office. I think a lot of that has to do with PPP. I think a lot of that has to do with those stimulus checks. And I think that's what people are, that's that's people still remember that energy.
Speaker 1: Well, there's there's one person standing in the wings right here that makes us feel a certain way. Aaron Haynes is a good friend of ours, a brilliant political strategy or a littical commentator. Aaron, We're gonna scoot down Tiff and let her come sit right here because she ain't got no handphones.
Speaker 3: That's down, scoot on down, Angel. Did you talk about New Hampshire already?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 3: I did not talk about New Hampshire. You're breaking news.
Speaker 1: The Fox News decision desk is project projecting a win for her in New Hampshire.
Speaker 9: How many electoral votes is that?
Speaker 3: It doesn't New Hampshire is not a lot of electoral votes.
Speaker 6: But why New Hampshire significant is because they don't need I'm Mary, yeah, yeah, so that's why we pay so much attention to New Hampshire. Hear that New Hampshire was projected for vice president.
Speaker 9: How should we feel about this?
Speaker 3: The electoral Do you want to tell them what you're looking at?
Speaker 9: The electoral fab.
Speaker 7: You have?
Speaker 3: What source are you looking at?
Speaker 13: Uh?
Speaker 5: This is Google?
Speaker 3: Okay? Where did they pull it?
Speaker 7: Google?
Speaker 9: Associated press?
Speaker 7: A what you know?
Speaker 3: She knows a little bit about a.
Speaker 7: Look.
Speaker 14: I mean I think what it means is it is what ten o'clock? Okay, I'm forty three, you know so? I mean it's nine forty three on Tuesday? Is you know sixty one degree?
Speaker 3: I know that's right.
Speaker 14: He's counting the votes because this thing is not over. I mean, I'm from Georgia. I know Fulton County has not come in. Atlanta has not come in, so like, we can't even really look at those numbers coming out of Georgia as real.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 14: Philadelphia is another big city. I just you know, live there. Know that that is another county that comes in super late. Detroit is another place that's going to come in super late. So you've got a lot of big cities where we know there are a lot of votes that still haven't been counted yet, and so you know this thing is far far from over. That's that's what I know looking at this map and also looking at the clock.
Speaker 9: Does Trump try to call it to night?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, so he's going to try to call it.
Speaker 1: Whether did we get to the other side and Kamala got two hundred and eighty six electoral votes.
Speaker 3: He's still gonna try to call it tonight. And I think we know that, like this is a part of their plan.
Speaker 1: And then if she ends up picking up additional votes going towards Saturday or even on Sunday, he will say that they try to steal it. And that's the same thing that happened. It's the exact same playbook from January sixth, twenty twenty one. We know what it is, we know what we're up against. I think right now I'll be honest and saying my nerves are bad. I didn't want the gap to be this big.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 1: Some outlets are projecting that he won Texas and it's with fifty percent of the vote in and I was hoping that it would be a little closer, especially because we haven't talked much about all the Senate races. But Colin Alred is also running against Ted Cruz in Texas, and I have a sneaky suspicion that if the margin is that big in Texas with Donald Trump, that Colin Alret's got a little bit.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna hold out hope for Colin Alright.
Speaker 6: He's a former NFL player, a member of Congress who's trying to move to the upper chambers. I'm gonna holp remember to see the commercial backclawks. I'm gonna hold out hope that he could still because we have seen those of those split ballants. And I'll say Texas is another state that they keep promising Texas is gonna be purple, It's gonna swing purple.
Speaker 3: We have yet to see that.
Speaker 6: Every cycle we think it's gonna go purple, and we haven't seen it. So I'm actually not as surprised that Texas may go for Donald Trump again tonight.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 14: I think I think some people, you know, wonder about that and and and the possibility of that happening, just because Texas literally has you know, the largest uh you know black population in the country, and yet you know that does not necessarily translate into the numbers. Democratic demography does not equal destiny, right, That's the thing that we that we know and that we have seen. And so you know Texas well, I think certainly Democrats have made inroads better of Rourke came very close right when he challenged Ted Cruz. And so now you have you know, Colin Albred certainly within striking distance. But we don't know what's going to happen with that race.
Speaker 7: Yet.
Speaker 6: It also punctuates, though aarin the Latino community as well, because so often you hear the Latino vote, right, and when you disaggregate these communities. There are more than twenty countries of origin, there are different perspectives. It's like if you put all the black people in the world, black folks from Kenya, black folks from America, black folks from West Africa either right, even here in America, you know a black person who grew up in La Versus, somebody grew up in Georgia.
Speaker 3: It's very different.
Speaker 6: And so in Texas, even with like within the Mexican population, there are some very conservative Mexicans.
Speaker 3: I mean, people's views on immigration right and not to be assumed right. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: And I want to say, speaking of immigration, Ohio is just called for Donald Trump as well, seventeen electoral votes. That's not super surprising because dave E Vans, of course comes from Ohio. But I bring that up because some of the nastiest rhetoric we've heard about immigrants so far. Hell, I would say in a decade was what they've said about folks in Springfield, what they alleged about folks in Springfield. So I just wanted to punctuate this moment with hate can still win in some of these in some of these states. But Aaron, what what what are you projecting overall? Well, hate win or will love? I mean I think that that will we.
Speaker 3: Turn the page.
Speaker 14: I mean, I don't know, right, I mean I do. I Am not going to sit up here in Nate Silver this thing. I can ensure guts say, my gut says that it's going to be close, and that we we likely will not have a result tonight. But that does not mean that there was cheating. That does not mean that anything has been stolen. It means that the votes are being counted. It means that millions and millions of Americans participated in this election, and we need to see we need to let democracy play out like that is what I can say for sure.
Speaker 3: I have a question for you Aerin down here. Hi, I'm sorry, Lauren.
Speaker 1: So with everything that happened there, that we saw in that state, in all the rhetoric and all that that was being viewed, and the fact that you know it's going with going to Trump, what could Kamala have done like in the lead up to this point that could have changed that? Is there any like I thought she they're echoing everything that was said, right, Like, she's on these platforms, she's talking about it, and it's still they still lean to hear Trump Like, what do you how would you have advised her differently? I mean, I'm I'm definitely not the campaign advising business your perspective. But what I mean say, what I will say is, you know, it really was not about what the vice president could or could not have done in Ohio, right, I mean, we are talking about the former president being somebody who has been in our national politics for the better part of a decade.
Speaker 3: Right, he is baked in with his voters, his base is locked in.
Speaker 14: There really is not much that he could do or say for the people who support him that would turn them away. Even you know, hateful, hateful, racist hoax you know about Haitian legal Haitian immigrants is not going to turn them away. And so that was not a deal breaker for his voters. We know that he won Ohio in the past. Uh, the issue of abortion was also an issue that was on the ballot in Ohio literally had been on the ballot. They recently had, you know, the abortion band that was put in place there. The question there was also a question about whether that was going to mobilize women in that state. So I'd be very curious to see what the gender gap was in Ohio. But but yeah, I mean for his voters, something like that, that racist hoax that came up, that that was not something that was going to turn them away. And and that was and and that and and they were not really voters that that the vice president was really going to be able to persuade and certainly was not going to be able to persuade them by saying that his hateful rhetoric was something that they shouldn't support. I mean, he said many hateful, sexist, racist things over the years that have not been a deal breaker for those voters.
Speaker 10: As anybody else nervous looking at these numbers because I'm getting nervous.
Speaker 3: I'm just telling you too much read.
Speaker 7: For me I want to do.
Speaker 14: But that's how Matt feels in I'm just nervous now I want to do.
Speaker 5: God is the best author and finisher.
Speaker 7: There you go.
Speaker 5: I think you have to, regardless of how it was.
Speaker 1: I see the iota's as she rode yes, and the homecoming court No, no, it's not. The homecoming court is some more D nine students who missed it on the first run.
Speaker 3: They're gonna come and make us feel a little better. They're gonna make us feel a little better.
Speaker 5: How do you think the Harris Walls team feeling right now?
Speaker 7: You do in the war room?
Speaker 5: Right now? What you're thinking?
Speaker 6: I am going to I assume that they feel joyful because they're not far from us. They're just feed away from us, somewhere here on Howard's campus that's still early in the evening. I don't think they had the expectation that we would know results tonight. She is in the home of her alma mater, so I don't think that that they shared this nervous energy. You know, I don't have nervous energy, and me I understand why you do. I think that's, you know, part of part of the evening. But I'm optimistic about tonight, and I think I hope that they are as well.
Speaker 14: And look, I mean they they knew that this was going to be a brawl, this was going to be a close election. She had one hundred and seven days to put on a campaign, and she has come with a striking distance of the White House. I mean that certainly was not certainly was not what the former president expected. Right, he certainly is wondering why he's even on the ballot with with Kamala Harris.
Speaker 1: But here they are neck and neck. I mean, this thing could not be close. How far it looks right now as of right now, right and and right now, Michigan is too close to call. Pennsylvania's too close to call. We always knew, yeah, But but that map is filling in the way that that map, it's all all of that is mostly southern state. You have the entire west coast.
Speaker 3: That have California. I mean, is it forties? How many? No, it's not looking at the.
Speaker 1: Four So they have the Red and the Blue, and they're getting nervous right now because they say, look, I'm explaining to them what they're looking at. It was always gonna come down to about seven states, but you know what, we have more of seven people, because if f nine have joined us to camp, we're gonna give you all a mic to tell us who you are, where you're from, and how you're feeling. Just really quickly. We're gonna pass the mic down real fast. We're gonna start down here. Andrew, you got a mic. Andrew is not listening or he can't hear me. Everybody's gonna introduce just real quick, just like we did a little world call, because you guys are gonna pass that mic down and they'll pass this one really quick.
Speaker 3: First name where you from?
Speaker 7: Okayvon Molly from Plainfield, New Jersey.
Speaker 3: Hey, right, Okay, Falling and Gale. I'mrom Chicago, Illinois.
Speaker 7: Exavier Stirland from Colora Springs, Colorado.
Speaker 5: Okay, k Morgan Durha.
Speaker 3: I'm a graduating senior from Michigan.
Speaker 7: I heard that.
Speaker 3: Destiny Pridgin from North Carolina. Hello, I'm Ikey Jabrero and I'm from Omahona, Rasca. I'm you Osmond Edmondson and I'm from Jersey by way of Brooklyn, Jersey. I'm Mackenzie Campbell from PG County, Maryland. Michael Thomas and I'm from Detroit, Michigan.
Speaker 7: My name is Cole Waltson and I'm from jap of Maryland.
Speaker 3: I'm Owen Garrett and I'm from Oakland, California.
Speaker 7: My name is Westy Wilkins and I'm from Suffolk, Virginia.
Speaker 1: All Right, we love it. Good job to FINDE nine. We're happy to see you all tonight. We are grateful for you coming on with us. We'll get back to this show.
Speaker 3: I like your Madame Vice President Pamala Harris. All right, all right, well while they stand here and watch, Aaron, we thank you so much for coming.
Speaker 7: On with us.
Speaker 3: Listen, it's been fun hanging out.
Speaker 14: I mean, y'all are doing the work out here, and I know the work continues even beyond tonight, because whoever is president on the other side of this, we we have got to keep paying attention to how people govern and how the agenda that that the folks that are listening to y'all, how that agenda is fulfilled by I know y'all are gon keep holding them accountable. I don't even have to worry about that. So y'all are on the case. So that means that is a victory for democracy. And I just salute all of y'all.
Speaker 5: Accountable accountable that they start jailing journalists.
Speaker 3: You got concern, I know, I know I can't go there. We gotta figure this out. But he literally earlier than I was, like, it's gonna be a blowout.
Speaker 1: I ain't say all that exactly, told y'all my grandma prayed before we got.
Speaker 3: Here we could, but you know there is something through that.
Speaker 6: And just before you leave Erin, you wrote a column talking about that very thing, about if Donald Trump's fear and you know, persecution, I would think it could be a strategy.
Speaker 3: Why can't joy?
Speaker 14: Absolutely yeah, I mean we know that that joy has been a radical strategy for people, for black women in this country, and so the idea that that was front and center in this race should be no surprise to anyone, you know, And and pushing through the fear and the concerns that so many black folks in this country had because this this election is existential for us, right, Uh, so many black folks, people of color, women lgbt Q plus people feeling like, uh, you know, everything is on the line for them depending on the outcome of this election. And yet for us to literally be here, you know, at this rally, and and and and just hearing and seeing the joy, just even as the returns are coming in and we know that people are anxious, We know that people are fearful as they watch that map, just as you're doing over there, Charlemagne like, still being able to do that with joy. That is that is I mean, you know that that is definitely among the most American things that we're seeing in our community are then a little bit of joy.
Speaker 5: I'm just listen. Regardless of who winds, I think America does have to find a way to come together because you know, one thing I'm realizing is none of this matters, right. The sexism don't matter, the racism don't matter, the anti semitism don't matter, the homophobia don't matter. So what are we going to do as a community, as a society knowing that all of this really does exist among us, right, and we can't be delusional about it anymore?
Speaker 3: But we are been delusional.
Speaker 1: I don't think I think that there was a time where I felt more hopeful. There wasn't that I thought that it was completely a race. But I do think when Barack Obama won in two thousand and eight and when he went again in twenty twelve, I had more hope that I did when Donald Trump won in twenty sixteen. When when Donald Trump went in twenty sixteen, I was like, who the are these people that I have to work with that I have to consult with that I have like that I have to I think it was more shocking.
Speaker 3: I don't think anybody else son.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Trump, he just won. Jesus breaking MSNBC. Donald Trump wins Kansas. Yeah, I have Kansas. I didn't know maybe yeah, because I was expected. But you're right, he did win Kansas. I will just say though, no, no, no, I'm just I'm just saying because you're right. But I was just like, it's my Twitter feed got.
Speaker 7: Me up to date.
Speaker 9: All of it looks about white. It's okay, right, it looks about.
Speaker 3: White, and it still looked like the Confederates that wanted us to be represented with three fists. The point is we don't. I don't know how I am going to fill tomorrow or on Saturday.
Speaker 1: If this is at this election is called on for Trump, I just I cannot even fathom it.
Speaker 3: I don't want to consider that. Again.
Speaker 10: How do y'all look at the black voters that said they're not voting for Kamala and they voted for trum How do you look at those family members?
Speaker 3: I don't have no family members.
Speaker 6: Like that, Angel, I don't even know people you're like. People in my family have said things like this. Maybe you changed their minds, but I remember specifically.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm in extended families who my god brother did but he voted No, no, no, no no. He was saying that he thought some of the stuff that Trump did was positive, and then he saw how they were talking about.
Speaker 3: Me, I mean personal family, like you meant the great you know. I gotta tell you, I have not met a lot of black Trump supporters. I just haven't. I've met people who said that they like Stimmy's or they like PPP until they friends got arrested, or you know, like I've met those folks, or that they thought that he was right on immigration, that they.
Speaker 14: Weren't going to vote, or maybe they weren't voting for her, but then they weren't going to vote for anybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think they're large enough in number in me.
Speaker 6: I really I think that was such a false media narrative that so many people globbed onto and elevated and prepare situated, and it's like, well, time out, you guys, Like these are random sound bites that nobody's bothering to ask the follow up. Nobody's bothering to say, well, are you registered to vote? Did you vote in the last election? Are you registered to vote this cycle? I would be very curious to see the exit poles. We already know that the GOP has gotten twelve percent of the black male vote specifically last cycle. There is no evidence that that has grown in number or gotten smaller in number. So I'll wait to see that some of the exit poles.
Speaker 9: But is like eight to fifteen Conservatives.
Speaker 14: And again, the question is what do white people do election? Because white people are the Americans that are voting for Trump, voting for Republicans in the majority. The extent to which his support is eroded among white Americans, not the extent to which he's attracting other people whose votes have had to mitigate.
Speaker 3: Right, people who are the white people who are voting for Trump, like that is the point.
Speaker 14: But you know, Charlemagne, you you also make a really good point about the country coming back together and and and our politics being about more than just who wins or loses, right, but about our shared values and our shared sense of fate, which seems to kind of feel lost in all of this, right, like, how do you how do we really get back to that?
Speaker 3: On the other side of the selection that's hugely, hugely difficult.
Speaker 14: So divided, and so many people who it seems, you know, just really don't care about their fellow Americans, right like, how how how does that sense of community?
Speaker 3: How do you begin to foster that?
Speaker 5: I believe that's what a pessimism comes into play now, because you're looking at this map right now, you're.
Speaker 3: Like, damn yeah, we really are crazy.
Speaker 7: Though.
Speaker 1: When I went into vote today, because I was earlier, I was a little pessimistic and I went into vote and the women who like were there that was helping out everything their energy, I was like, it just felt like it felt so good. It made me feel like, Okay, we got this. And then things change or whatever, so the feeling, you know, changes a little bit. But I'm thinking, like when people go into the voting polls and they get that feeling. I hope that that in real life, like you were saying, right, Like, you don't run into like a thousand and one people who support Trump every single day in your real life, but the media makes you feel like that in real life. When I walked into that poll, I'm like, I hope everyone is getting this so they feel good and they feel energized.
Speaker 14: And then, you know what I mean, I love what you're saying, because we have we have made voting sound like such a burden, made voting sound you know, people were scared to go to the polls. They were scared of what might happen when they got to the precinct. You know what happened when I went to my precinct. Every single poll worker that was there was a black woman.
Speaker 5: Me too.
Speaker 1: I think the black black women like that, Like you know, they pard cat, they got last for anything. They clapped the wom when he came in.
Speaker 3: It was it was good. It was a festive. It was a positive experience. Yep. Yeah, yeah, well if they just calling another date, yeah they are.
Speaker 9: Trump just got tim more.
Speaker 5: I don't know who we want.
Speaker 1: We're gonna we're gonna get there and are we know you got all the I gotta, I gotta, I gotta gotta get his phones back out here.
Speaker 3: It's focused, Yeah, I was so when he what he got what? Yeah? I offered him mine.
Speaker 1: He is focused on, you know, but the glasses on twice took him off three to Yeah, gets his headphones on.
Speaker 3: I think that's because he's so used to watching these maps, you know from his.
Speaker 1: Own Okay, Yeah, that's what everyone have to study, Nique, understanding of what we're seeing tonight.
Speaker 3: As you've been over there, study Andrew, tell us, tell us blood John, what's happening? What happened with the electoral colleges?
Speaker 8: Now, So there are reports that are coming in right now around the early I mean the ninth, the ten PM closing states. I haven't been able to assess all of all of those, but let me just describe for a minute, because some people may be confused about what they are seeing.
Speaker 7: Around. Some of the states have been called some of y'all a break.
Speaker 10: Down a purple state too, because you mentioned Tiffany. It's in purple states, and some people are saying, well, what is a purple state? I no, red and no blue.
Speaker 8: Yeah, bring are the purple states of the states that don't go predictably Democrat or predicted Republican any statewide race.
Speaker 7: So they flip back and forth between.
Speaker 8: A Democratic top of the ticket and Republican top of the ticket. But others may have heard this term the red mirage, and it's less known than we know about the blue wave and that kind of thing. But the red mirage, which is connected to then the blue shift, is the early part of the night. The results that come in tend to favor the Republican party because of the way in which because of the order at which votes are counted, so the early counting of the vote's show may show a Trump lead in certain places. And then the reason why they call it the red mirage is because the mirage doesn't really exist, lead you to believe you're going to get that red thing. But as the night goes on in the county continues, a blue shift starts to happen and that state goes from looking red or I think some of the networks that not are using a darker hue of red to suggest leading Republican into a blue column.
Speaker 7: And it's not because there's any cheating that's been done.
Speaker 8: It's that they've added more votes to the tally, and as they add more votes, large wheels that were either mailed in or submitted as provisional ballots that get counted. When they get counted and qualified, they move into the total, and that total then moves. What looked like when you went to bed a state that was red and you wake up the next morning and that state happens to be blue is not because anybody stole any votes.
Speaker 7: It is because more votes were.
Speaker 8: Counted and then the calculation into the total of those votes have then moved that state to.
Speaker 7: A blue column. So don't be discouraged when you're looking at U saying, oh, I just know we do better.
Speaker 8: Wait, that's why we've worn people. Don't assume that the election is over the day that we vote. Give it time for all the votes to be counted, and it looks different.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna tell you something, speaking of me, you need a logo three right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't take your headphones out, scoop down, because you ever been in an arena.
Speaker 5: You haven't been in an arena when the team is getting blown out. That's how I feel right now.
Speaker 1: But that's because it's all like think of if you look at the actual map, right, the red states are actually mostly in the south.
Speaker 3: Those polling locations have closed. You're seeing projections even when there's zero point zero of the votes counted.
Speaker 5: So this is usual.
Speaker 3: This is absolutely usual. Remember we haven't seen California yet. But it's not just California, Washington, Nevada. I think we'll get Nevada.
Speaker 1: But while we're moving down, we are bringing on our good friend and brother Rock and Is Howard sweatshirts is what did look like?
Speaker 3: Quinton James? Very similar?
Speaker 1: This is Quentin James collective fact also vote to live, dear partner of ours at Native lampod and and and I know he's happy to be in joint collapse conversation with the breakfast club.
Speaker 3: You this is not on trends? Can we put Quinn's mic on?
Speaker 10: There?
Speaker 8: We go?
Speaker 1: Quentin, Yes, we need some hope because people spiral in real time. Some people spiral. I didn't say, y'all, I was talking about or something. Please look at his kneecap up and everything.
Speaker 15: It's early right, so we know a lot of votes are still going to be counters to night from election day, we saw an overperformance today from our folks showing up to vote. Kind of procrastinated, but they did show up. So I think we're gonna see these numbers kind of shift throughout the night. And as we told everybody, you've got to be patient, right, it's gonna take a while to.
Speaker 7: Count all these votes. We want every vote counted.
Speaker 15: We know that people still in line voting right now in saints like Arizona, Nevada, So let's be patient count of your vote.
Speaker 7: I think we're gonna be all right.
Speaker 8: So clearly, you know, the predicted of a dramatic win by either party. There's no stake that is falling one way so far that suggests as dramatic win by anybody.
Speaker 7: Right now, it's on park. Yeah, I think it's pretty much.
Speaker 8: On par I think people have higher you know, had higher hopes for Georgia. I don't know where the most populated centers are with their total tally, so around Atlanta and in the county surrounding Atlanta, what percentage of that vote is already in If we're talking about forty maybe even forty fifty percent of the vote.
Speaker 7: Know that you have half the state's population.
Speaker 8: Of the entire state of Georgia is roughly populated in this area and just around it, and so we need to let those votes get in and be counted again.
Speaker 7: Uh, Pennsylvania, Michigan.
Speaker 3: Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: I just want to on this point one of the things that Tip brought up earlier too, and I think it's so important to contextualize the vote in our folks pushing forward anyway, being resilient anyway.
Speaker 3: The Philadelphia City Philadelphia's city commissioner said that several polling places were targeted by bomb threats. We knew about that in Georgia. Today we heard that it was, you know, most likely from a Russian actor.
Speaker 1: These bomb threats in Philadelphia, going right to the heart of where black folks are and where elections can be decided. How have you seen that intimidation work against our folks or not at all?
Speaker 15: I mean, listen, it's an age old trick. We knew this was a possibility. It's very disheartening to see it happen in real life. I think before we got to remember, right, this is again the same tactics use against our people throughout the sixties, this kind of terrorism. The thing that's interesting is there weren't bomb threats in Wyoming or Nebraska. They've been in Georgia, been in Philadelphia, been in places where we know black voters gonna show up and vote, And so I think that also is a little bit of a tell to me that people are afraid of our folks coming out to vote, so they're going to resort to those tactics. But again, I we got to give it up to black voters. Before today, over fifty percent of the black women who were registered to vote in North Carolina, in Georgia, they'd already voted, right And so I think we're gonna see a record breaking turnout from black women tonight, and we got to recognize that and give it up to black voters in spite of all these threats that we're seeing.
Speaker 10: I do have to ask, you know, we talked about Kamala Harris so much and she didn't have the time of course Trump had. Is there anything that she should have done that she didn't get a chance to, or that you wish you would have seen her do anything at all?
Speaker 15: I mean, look, in campaigns, you have three resources, right, time, money, in people. She didn't have a lot of time, right, so she had a lot of money, had a lot of people. But the time issue I think is the only thing I would look at as something at her disadvantage. We kind of heard reports today of you know, concerns around black voter turnout in Philadelphia, for instance. She didn't have the time to really dig in there. Again, one hundred day campaign has been phenomenal, but we've never seen anything like this in presidential history before.
Speaker 7: So that's the one piece. It's just the time issue.
Speaker 15: I don't think she could have spent again more money here or there, or have more people organized here or there.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you, guys, one piece of.
Speaker 1: Show I was it's not even about actually from but what what Tip would normally say is the dick of the country. There is a Florida state attorney who was suspended by Ron DeSantis, by the name of Monique Worrell, who has won her seatback. So that is one piece of good news in black history in Florida to command and to be proud of. I'm the only one celebrating it the show. Thanks Lauren hop Us.
Speaker 6: I want to say that because the way that you're posing the question, it sounds you and Leonard are both like, you know, you. You you sound like you're not as hopeful, and I just want to just hersized.
Speaker 1: I know they're both what y'all cold? Why they said, like that's that girl is so high over here?
Speaker 3: Well, it's because.
Speaker 5: There was the energy that was held.
Speaker 9: Not no more no, I.
Speaker 3: I think it has spiritually music.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's quiet because they're looking at her once the projection right, and I just want to encourage.
Speaker 5: You project I need to stop looking at.
Speaker 3: Try it.
Speaker 8: If we wonder why when we wake up and the Republicans are right now rejoicing and then sad tomorrow. You can understand that if you're in this mood because you're expecting these things to look a certain way. They go to bed with it assured that it looks a certain way, and then as the folks get counted, they wake up tomorrow and they said the Democrats stole it.
Speaker 7: How they win a race.
Speaker 1: I think the only reason why, like their reaction is probably how some people are feeling because the way that Kamala came in and just like like she bullied it like for like so fast, like the first two weeks, first day, first two days, I think people expected to see that instant like gratification and right.
Speaker 5: Now it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right stream back here like a lot.
Speaker 7: This is exactly how the process is, right, Yeah, I know what I would like.
Speaker 3: Colorado was called for Kamala expected, but just noting.
Speaker 9: I think I did I get called?
Speaker 1: I know it's got called on my screen right now, Donald Trump is up fifty one.
Speaker 5: To I really would like to know where it was by Trump this time in twenty twenty.
Speaker 9: That's what I would.
Speaker 3: Look it up.
Speaker 7: Well, we didn't know a lot at this time in twenty twenty.
Speaker 8: We took a whole week, practically Saturday, for us to get to the point where we thought we know the president. I remember we did coverage that night and we went to bed believing the Democrat was going to lose.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we were, We was really We woke up the next morning, in our whole days, the whole set, we thought we went to bed and that we had lost.
Speaker 15: So it looked like this kind Yes, it looked like I don't have the whole country, but I do know at this point in twenty twenty, Uh, Donald Trump was doing better than right now in Georgia. Right, so he's underperforming. It's twenty twenty numbers in Georgia at this point compared to twenty twenty, we didn't.
Speaker 9: See some music in some week.
Speaker 3: County, isn't it right? Not yet county? You said no, no, yeah, still the ones that be ordered to huka.
Speaker 10: We are, we are?
Speaker 3: I do got to ask a question too.
Speaker 10: You know, when you look at some of these elections in these other countries, right, it's not as long, it's a lot less than than what we do here. And I feel like, do you think there should be a cap on the amount of money raised? When it comes to yes? I mean because I mean they're raising over a billion dollars each. They haven't send any money on all types of fripulous stuff. Do you think that we should have a cap on the amount of that we raised and the amount.
Speaker 3: Of time and why?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 3: Well a lot of countries do that.
Speaker 6: France for example, that yes, Canada and where you have a limited time of even campaigning. To your point, the money in politics, which you know Quinton obviously runs the collective pack, which is a part of raising money, but the donor classes we talked about on this show frequently is largely white and male, and you can really influence how campaigns and candidates feel and how they move and things that they say. I think if there is a limit, or even if they're publicly funded, you would get down to the meat of policy and what actually matters, not all.
Speaker 3: Of this kobuki theater, not all of this glitter.
Speaker 6: A lot of money goes on media buys, uh, which you know, yes, you say frivolous, but I don't know how frivolous that is, because that is how a lot of Americans consume information. That's how they get news. Unfortunately it's not a lot of readers, but we have a lot of watchers. I also think if you are looking at the public funding of some of these campaigns, uh, the process looks different.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: Like we've talked about this on Native lampod about having audiences in debates, but you get so much applause that you're you know, missing what the candidates are putting forward to the audience in a very serious So, Yes, definitely, I'm for limiting the amount of time for campaigns and also limiting, uh, the money that.
Speaker 8: Goes in as voters. I think it exhaust voters. They two years of this out in and out exhausts us. And if we had a season that we can look forward to where we know it's gonna start, and.
Speaker 7: There's an end to that. I agree.
Speaker 9: I think I'm exhausted right now.
Speaker 1: Well, don't be too exhausted yet. You got a couple more hours of coverage, good sir. I want to come back to you really quick, Quentin. One with some bad news and one with some good news. The bad news is that even though we hoped for a miracle and a hail Mary in Texas with seventy seven percent of the precincts reporting, Colin Alred is not lost to Ted Cruse, the incumbent who is really just not worth the damn ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: However, in Maryland, Angela.
Speaker 1: Also Brooks has become the second black woman senator. All Right, you join at LISTA Rochester, and I gotta feel good about that.
Speaker 3: Clinton, very good, good, Well, but let let Quinn have this moment.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I know, I mean looks it's historic to put again two black women in the US Senate in one election.
Speaker 15: Yes we we we know, uh, the opportunity that her being there is going to provide to so many families throughout Maryland, but also to so many black candidates around the country. Seeing as a possibility that I can run stay wide and be victorious.
Speaker 7: It's incredible. And so again they're calling on we're leading in Arizona. We're leading in Arizona.
Speaker 15: Again, let's be patient tonight, but again let's applaud Angela also Brooks in the amazing campaign as she ran being incredibly outspent. To your point, you know, when it comes to black candidates, we have a tough time raising money.
Speaker 3: But that's why you start a collective pack.
Speaker 1: And that's why I want you to talk about because tip to your point and envy to your point.
Speaker 3: Is there too much money in politics?
Speaker 1: Yes, but while it stays, they come up with a really tremendous solution and you guys funded people from the top of the ticket all the way down ballot.
Speaker 7: Take that work. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 15: So we launched a collective pack in twenty sixteens to really build black potical power by raising money. We know money in politics is so important. So if you're not funding our candidates, and we can't expect them to go out there and compete dollar for dollar against every by body else. And so we had over one hundred candidates on the ballot today. Hopefully most of them will be victorious. But again, this money and politics thing is a real issue, and as a people, we got to organize our money in our politics so that our folks don't get bought and sold by other communities.
Speaker 7: That's a really big issue for us moving forward.
Speaker 3: That's right. Well, we are so grateful that you joined us tonight to give you.
Speaker 7: Welcome to Howard. Welcome to Howard.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're having a You appreciate it. You know, you might have a little bit of beat down there with envy, you know it all love okay today, No, that's right, I love it. Thanks you, Thank y'all.
Speaker 3: Let's see you.
Speaker 1: And Andrew is down here being our black John Kake, so you'll let him have his mohema pianos.
Speaker 5: We'll say two.
Speaker 9: Night tired after the tire the first night.
Speaker 5: Trump did call it in twenty twenty, so clearly something must have been happening like this to where he felt confident and they thought they were gonna win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you get rid of the electoral college.
Speaker 9: But I will telling me that, Andrew, I need you to keep telling me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it's true.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing, you guys.
Speaker 1: I do think it's important to note because normally we do talk about the distinction between what's happening with the electoral college versus the popular vote. Right now, because of the number of Southern states that have been called, Donald Trump is ahead. He's forty two million plus votes to Kamala Harris's thirty seven point plus million votes, So there is a there is a disparity there as well. I do think that gap will significantly closes those West coast states coming start coming in and more of the Midwest start coming in.
Speaker 3: They said that Pennsylvania's Pennsylvania.
Speaker 8: There's only about fifty one percent of the vote in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: Report that she gets too close to lean in right now because I saw something slightly Trump.
Speaker 1: Okay, because I saw that, I didn't want to say it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, it's just that, And I was like, I don't want to be the one.
Speaker 3: To say it.
Speaker 8: It's slightly Trump, but it should be at this stage of the game. It's the larger, more populous cities that get added into the vote.
Speaker 7: Palice counted not completely.
Speaker 3: Taking a little longer.
Speaker 8: Because and then from that they'll open up early ballots, which they were not able to begin counting until tonight when the post closed and other states my state, they open them and they start to roll them in.
Speaker 7: So those early number that's how you can have.
Speaker 8: A whole state like Florida, the third largest in the country, produce its winners and losers in the first hour hour and a half after the post close.
Speaker 10: So for Pennsylvania, anybody that voted early, they're not allowed open those until polest closed, Okay, So as those get calculated and added in, you see shifts in the outcome that state.
Speaker 5: This West Wing report says presidential race as far shows no surprises on the matter. So haaris, Slovania looks better, razor thin leeds in Michigan, Wisconsin, Georgia is concerning for her. Virginia not a swing state, shaking and expected. Iowa more competitive, competitive than expected. You'll recall the sel support.
Speaker 7: Being no surprises.
Speaker 3: Were we looking out for Iowa?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Iowa seeing so sometimes sitting on Twitter and you guys can confirm this over there is Trump in Iowa.
Speaker 7: He will win Iowa. I didn't expect them.
Speaker 8: And I also but the fact that she is competitive in Iowa at this stage, she should not be competitive in a state like Iowa. Iowa has been solidly Republican for the last three presidential races. Took a dip into our land with Obama and then came right back out, and it's been reliably it is not critical to her. It's not even counted by her team as being necessary for the electoral College.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Iowa is called for Republicans, Yes for Trump, and it will be it expected. Well, I was hoping that it is organ and she should win organ But we were just hopeful because you know, they had some reports earlier.
Speaker 1: They said the I can't think of the the poster's name. They said, yeah, they said, she always gets it right. She called it for She said, well, she actually didn't call it for Kamala. She said that it was very very close and it was leaning towards her, but within the margin of air.
Speaker 5: So, uh, yes, we are now and what is the hell is happening?
Speaker 3: Well, they people they just went reports. They're watching seeing it right, said.
Speaker 5: They counting votes.
Speaker 3: They're watching this, watching the screen.
Speaker 6: People who are I do want to set the scene for them. So there is still a sea of people who are very joyful. So we hear waves of applause and cheers as they have seen it projected on the screen. So as Don King is projecting states or showing where Vice President Harris might be leading, that's when you hear cheers. So as we get that breaking news, we will be sure to share it with you guys at home. But it is still a very joyful time here.
Speaker 9: Point out the joy because I'm looking for.
Speaker 3: This is a truck.
Speaker 8: Joy, hey, Charlemagne, and be these these folks are as novice to the process as any of us.
Speaker 7: Many of them, we got these returns.
Speaker 8: They feel a certain way about what they wanted to look like, and it doesn't reflect what they feel like it should look like. But I have if we were broadcasting to them, I'd say the same thing, which were hold your horses, calm down, wait and be patient, because when these votes are counted, you'll see a better reflection.
Speaker 7: Of what you thought the earlier part of the night should have looked like it didn't.
Speaker 3: Can we take a.
Speaker 6: Snap of this though, because there is and I know you guys can't. Hopefully they're doing audience shots there. But there was a sea of black people waiving the American flag on this historically black university, and just the dichotomy of that right that what that flag represents and has represented for us on this campus of black people, when America does still standpoise to elect the first black woman to lead the country.
Speaker 3: I just think this is a moment in history. And y'all are down there feeling away.
Speaker 7: No we are.
Speaker 10: We went to the crowd and it's this tears So there's press over here, this alumni, this students. Me and Lauren actually stuck into the alumni student section was dead sneak.
Speaker 3: Yes, we had called. They kicked us out at first, So just to let you know, they kicked us out at first.
Speaker 7: We had to go back.
Speaker 10: But then there's alumni on the side, and then there's just DMV residents and they're super duper excited. But like you said, right now they're watching CNN. They're waiting for these numbers to be announced.
Speaker 3: You just got some more. See that you didn't anounced that one? Yeah, what are you doing? One? She got two, she got twelve, one, twelve.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But remember there's a lot of state you don't have to come in, so that number will flip drafts slowly.
Speaker 9: Uh, I was not even tripping. None of the battlegrounds are really in.
Speaker 5: You know, he's still got North Carolina, Pennsylvania, I want to see.
Speaker 1: What does talk about some in North Carolina. It might make y'all happy.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: They had a group of natorial candidate was a brother uh named Mark Robinson and he lost.
Speaker 3: He did, He did in fact lose, no surprise no so far our viewers.
Speaker 6: You may recall Mark Robinson was the lieutenant governor running for the governor and he was the show look at for something literally literally.
Speaker 9: When transgenders on his laptop was on.
Speaker 3: Was that is that what he is? He said that he found that's like Africa foreign or something Africa born. But I'm talking about when they know, you guys look and I'm looking out Africa. Yes, I need one more worry than Africa porn.
Speaker 5: How does that fair for her in North Carolina? Since the governor won.
Speaker 3: The Democratic government, it should help her.
Speaker 6: But it gives you an indication of how voters are voting, so if they declared his loss. But again, he has become an embarrassment to the Republican Party. So this is where you might see some of those split ballots.
Speaker 5: But that is it wouldn't be embarrassed if he was white.
Speaker 6: I think that was some of the things that he was saying and doing were I think universally. Yeah, yeah, But I'll say this, Charlotte, because you brought up something I think this speaks to it. And you talked about how do we come together that to the country no matter who wins, and I have to say, and this, you know may be controversial to some people, but I actually have no interest in coming together. I said, I really don't. I don't, I have no effen I don't. I have no interest in meeting a bigot in the middle. I'm not trying to understand.
Speaker 1: I know very well their perspective and if our disagreement, as the saying goes, is rooted in you denying my humanity, I'm not trying to convince you of such things.
Speaker 3: I say, yes, stay over there, and I respect the honesty.
Speaker 1: I would rather you look me in my face than tell me how you feel than the smile on my face and feel.
Speaker 3: The way that I know you feel.
Speaker 6: So I think that is something that we have to have a serious conversation in this country about, because we're not at a place where everybody's like, okay, guys, you guys won this time. We're all gonna go back to our corners.
Speaker 1: Even Stevens no I think we are that the Civil War did not begin with the first firing, you know, of a pistol.
Speaker 6: It began long before that. There was this court, and I think we're seeing something like that happen in this country. And then when you broaden that out and be and this is key, when the United States is at war with itself on the global stage, we look incredibly weak.
Speaker 1: And so we've already seen threats to our country this cycle. And so I'd imagine Russia might have company this go around in Iran, in China, all empires fall. America has been a superpower for the long time because of us, because of our bodies, we created this superpower. We are primed right now to be taken out. So this election not only has consequence for policy here domestically, it has consequences for our global standing. And that's a very serious thing.
Speaker 5: I agree with you. If I was a political strategist, and call me naive, I wouldn't want to just chalk up what we're seeing what the Trump thing, to just bigotry, to just racism, to just sexism. I really would want, I really want to see what he's doing that is moving people and has been moving people for the past that.
Speaker 3: Think that's racism and sexism. I think it's I think it's.
Speaker 5: Got to be a little bit more more than that are It might be what what are Democrats not doing? You know, that's what I would want to know. I can't just say, hey, everybody's racist, everybody's a bigger I.
Speaker 3: Think that that is very true.
Speaker 1: I think we've heard from our own friends, if but for super honest, even in our own conversations right about where there's shortcomings or where we don't feel represented inside of a big ten. You know, it's like, even when you talk about the way that consultants are used, or you talk about.
Speaker 3: The way that candidates have to fight to be seen. Even in Andrew's experience, Andrew wasn't They didn't decide that Andrew was the darling of the Democratic Party. Fought hard af to be at the top of the ticket, to be the the to get out of the primary, and to be the Democratic Party's nominee for governor of Florida. That wasn't easy. You fought to the last name, and the media had really called him, they called it for way Graham.
Speaker 8: But so about let's recognize that half the country isn't voting. Half the people of the country who are qualified to vote don't vote, just don't exercises. So your point around, I want to be with you because I wanted badly to be there in twenty sixteen when I thought my neighbors and everybody who I trusted that was white betrayed me. And don't give it am I'm about who I am and so on and so forth. But the lived experience is much more nuanced than that. All we walk this earth very differently between you know, between people. So I can't say and resolve that an election is decided just that way. I think Trump reaches at something well that's not even that clever. If you are a person and you don't have a perfect life and therefore you have grievances, Trump has.
Speaker 7: Taught you how to complain and like make no apologies about it.
Speaker 8: He complains and then points you to the people who are responsible for your pain. And they're the people who are brown, and they're black, and they're women, and they're everybody that's not like you. And so if we were able to run a race trying to build community off of people who got complaints about how fucked up shit is we went to I mean we you know, we'd lead, we'd connect with people by making that the case that groceries are too high. This is happening, This is happening. Jobs are being shipped here, and that group is responsible for why you're not living your best life. That's not rocket science politics. It's the politics of grievance. They win campaigns, and sometimes that kind of politicians loses well.
Speaker 5: To that point, Andrew, I agree with you, but black people do have grievances.
Speaker 7: I agree.
Speaker 5: We do have a community that we point to, which is usually white supremacy, but we don't have elected officials that are willing to do that. We don't have elected officials that are willing to challenge that system of white supremacy.
Speaker 1: Largely, I don't think they don't speak directly to a lot of stuff when I'm not like, I remember we did that the interview that you said in from Yeah, the Congress.
Speaker 7: From Florida, Biran Donald's that was it.
Speaker 5: We had to push elect.
Speaker 6: But that's a Republican conservative. If youre talking about Byron Donald, no no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about Wes Moore and I love him to death, but I just felt like in all of his speaking it was very much like high level hope love, and it wasn't. There were certain things that like he wouldn't even directly say, and I'm like, why, I yeah, And there is the Republicans do they But they they running different areas and they don't. They're not up against the same things we have to when we're when we're black in a progressive party or in a Democratic party, we have a double big ten to win over. We have to prove to white folks that we're worthy of election, and we have to prove the black folks that were down for the cause, and we have to prove to everybody else that we still see their grievances. White folks can come on and say, trust me, little brown person, little black person, I got you, and I could probably solve your problems better than you. And if you don't trust me on this, that's fine, because there's a whole bunch of white folks that'll elect me to super se whatever minority you are of the vote. What I would say is that what I what I took issue with is there are mayors in mostly black cities, There are members of the Congressional Black caucus. Some that are in majority minority districts, which means that it's mostly black or mostly black and brown or whatever. But there are also a lot of them who are in white white folks districts too, who see issues similar to us, who might have that Black Lives Matter signing in the yard for those folks, and those folks will absolutely stand with us and say the hard thing. Barbara Lee, who is retiring now and will be replaced tonight by Latifa Simmons in Oakland, California, is one of those folks. She was the only person that was willing to stand up against the Iraq war.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So we have those members, but there are few and far between, especially if they have just leadership ambition.
Speaker 3: I mean even her the town the town hall.
Speaker 1: And you know when I thought it was great when Charlotte was asking Kamala about like why can't you just say what you will do?
Speaker 5: Yeah, why can't you just you know?
Speaker 1: And she she's she worked her way around and she answered it, but she still had to work away.
Speaker 8: There is a way in which we still have to be in the politics where we're not the majority who election, Like, what do.
Speaker 1: Y'all think would happen though. If there was a politician, I was just like, you know what I mean, on our side that looks like us.
Speaker 3: I want to tell you there are politicians.
Speaker 10: Ticket that's about a Barack Obama. That's why the black said that, didn't you know?
Speaker 6: But what you guys are talking about is at the presidential level, and politics is about addition, not subtraction.
Speaker 3: So you do have to say things to appeal to a broad colge or not.
Speaker 6: But I would challenge or not say things, but I would challenge you to say there are tons of politicians who do call a thing a thing as speak very truthfully about it. Congressom and Ayana Presley is one of those people. Congressman Barbara Lee is one of those people. There are mayors, se rev The.
Speaker 8: Problem is is that if we could name check them, then they're not enough. I agree, but we're talking about the majority. Experience with politics is you're listening to this politician and nothing they're saying is believable. Yeah, that's your lived experience. Because I had these problems before you got there. You told me you'd solve them. I'm up to elect you again and the same problems are still persistent.
Speaker 7: Yeah, now one.
Speaker 8: I try to be honest with people any time I've ever run it shared that this doesn't change overnight. This system didn't get here overnight. If we're four hundred years here and through a civil war that divided the country, it came out of the civil war, had what less than ten years of independence, our ability to run right, and then the reconstruction laws got taken away from us, and then we get another.
Speaker 7: One hundred years and when we found.
Speaker 8: Ourselves in civil rights and we barely get out of that. That system does not change overnight. It was not invented overnight. Requires a level of patience, sophistication, but also stick to itiveness that we're not going to give up on that fight. And so it isn't defended from one election to another. Movements require us to stay in them in order.
Speaker 7: For them to move.
Speaker 10: I think he's one of the things, like she said, it's like when you look at a Barack Obama right and you say, wow, we finally got somebody that looks like me.
Speaker 3: He's gonna do something for my community.
Speaker 10: He's gonna stand up when the police officers killed the brother for no reason. He's gonna stand up when he sees this, he's gonna stand up when he sees in justice and he.
Speaker 8: Doesn't, or when he did, or we ended up with Skip Gates, what did they have him do a beer summit? He called out racistem for a white black professor getting in his own house getting arrested.
Speaker 3: That's crazy. When he said Trayvon Martin could be my.
Speaker 8: Son, and then what he ended up then with with after that, he's got to sit down with white folks as the president of the United States and then retract it practically and make it appear as if no, your white son would have experienced the same thing.
Speaker 5: Not true.
Speaker 8: So when he's stepped out, Democrats, Republicans, everybody in between clipped his knuckles and we're like, whoa, whoa, whoa, You're.
Speaker 7: Not that man in this house. He didn't got to be something different.
Speaker 6: But I think, I think to Laura's point, because I understand what she was saying about Governor West forard the democratic purpose.
Speaker 3: And I love him. By the way, I thought he was fired I think president at some point, But I was like, why.
Speaker 6: Right, I completely understand what you're saying. I think Wes Moore is Governor Moore is a wonderful person, wonderful human being. I also think he's very politically ambitious, and so he is setting his sights on I need to continue to build and attract people to my campaign Sadly, in politics, it's too common a thing where you can profess loudly on what you'll do for everybody else, and you.
Speaker 3: Whisper that shit to black folks.
Speaker 6: You professed loudly what you'll do for everybody else's issue, but you go behind the curtain and say, okay, but black folks, I got y'all. Once we get in an office, right, I think that you do have to challenge those and confront those systems. I don't think we're there yet.
Speaker 7: We are fourteen but we are because she did it right well.
Speaker 6: Vice President Harris said, but we're fourteen percent of the population, and so when you're talk about that level, you do have to make an appeal. Now, if Vice President Harris comes out and says, I for I'm the president for reparations, I believe you know, I'm going to eradicate the criminal justice system. I am going to write the wrongs of housing. You know, black folks have been and this is her chief message that she's banging.
Speaker 1: She would not have the coalition that she did, she would have the chaining So but the question, well, the question I would put to you then, is is it important for her to get in office and then hold her accountable to our agenda or do we want her to go out there ra rah rah and normalize speaking about our issues at the risk that she.
Speaker 3: May not win in a list.
Speaker 8: I want her to run the race on the campaign and on the issues that she's running. And the fact that she's the first candidate for president of the United States to have a black male agenda, ever, is progress. Obama didn't have a black man's agenda, right or a black women's agenda. That doesn't mean he didn't do things that benefit our community, but he did not feel at the time that he could run realistically for president of the United States with a black agenda and said as much when asked about what your black agenda, said, my agenda is for the American people and we all benefit from that, and that had to be good enough for us at the time.
Speaker 7: Kamala didn't didn't do that. She actually took an added risk by saying black men calling us out, and not just that, not superficially. She then put the policy behind it, and it didn't begin an end with jail and drugs.
Speaker 3: I just I want to put it out really quick, really really quick.
Speaker 1: Nebraska is in and I want to I want to say this because I think this is significant.
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty, Donald Trump won four of the five.
Speaker 1: This is one of the states that split four of the five elect or old votes in Nebraska tonight, Donald Trump won three of the five.
Speaker 3: So two of those are going to Kamala Harris.
Speaker 8: Well, that's are a requirement for her in order to win the Blue in order to win the presidency, because if she won all the Blue Wall and did not capture those two congressional seatside of Nebraska, she still could not have been president. She would be one vote elect vote to a college. Okay, so Nebraska had she needed some looking goods.
Speaker 1: She needed those two. But I'm saying in twenty twenty, Joe Biden got only got one.
Speaker 2: God Well, come, welcome, Welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 1: Someone and I'm on the live chat for the Breakfast Club's YouTube channel. There's over ten thousand people in here, and someone is asking for Yeah, thank you guys for tuning in. And someone is asking if you guys can talk more about North Carolina because it's really close.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: Yes, we expected it to be close.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I think is really important for us to note is that Shakiah Harris is who act that.
Speaker 8: Is?
Speaker 1: Oh God, anyway, Shakuia, we love you. Ignore Leonard, you could say some smart mouth.
Speaker 5: Damn you ain't ignor.
Speaker 1: But I think the one thing that's important here is in North Carolina, this has been a state that we have not won. It's Barack Obama in two thousand and eight, and so Kamala Harris winning this tonight, if she does, it will be another history making year demonstrates demonstrates that black folks, when they're at the top of the ticket, can capture states that some other folks can't.
Speaker 7: Well, I will tell you the music.
Speaker 3: Folk walking at home.
Speaker 1: They just dropped in beyond thank you for that questionground we did.
Speaker 8: She didn't need, she didn't need North Carolina to win the race for president and the electoral College. North Carolina would be icing on the cake for us if we were able to get it. And it is absolutely expected to be close. If it comes over at.
Speaker 1: All, I knocked on doors in North Carolina on Saturday. So I'm expecting a victory and I spoke at churches.
Speaker 9: Yes, I did you know another grievance.
Speaker 5: I think Trump speaks to I think he speaks to the poor.
Speaker 3: Better than to put your mic closer the poor.
Speaker 9: It's poor period.
Speaker 5: When people hear people, when you hear somebody talking about you know, uh, you can't pay your bills, you can't keep food on your table, you can't keep a roof over your head and needs it. But then he'll mix in these are the people taking the job from you. This is why you can't eat. I think all of that works. I think that that's not true, but I think it's I think it's more rooted than this. This is this is what I think is causing more more of a racially diverse coalition to come into the Republican Party because they're speaking to this a lot more.
Speaker 7: They are. It's a mirage, but they are speaking to it.
Speaker 3: I'm on set.
Speaker 8: They have the beauty of being able to say things like so, first of all, at what point of Donald Trump's like does he represent and better my lived expirit? I mean, the man got a million dollar loan from his dad and to started business. I ain't never seen a million dollars. I did grow up with it. I mean, you were rich in our community. If you took your family to McDonald's on the weekend for a meal. It was so the fact that he can embody that better than almost any politician is insane to me. But I get it because you're right, Charlamagney speaks to it, and and then he tells you who's to blame for it. None of us are ever going to do that one because it actually isn't the truth for many of us in our places.
Speaker 10: Oh, he's a market and genius too. Like you had the radio this morning. He was like, yeah, you know, I was richer. I had more money when Donald Trump. But it's just what Donald Trump has been saying for so long, not just Trump Republicans, Like.
Speaker 5: It's mind boggling to me that you know, since World War Two, the economy has always done significantly better with a Democrat president.
Speaker 8: But they haven't been able to make if they don't, we don't say it, right, yeah, and we don't celebrate it either, But you're absolutely right with the ones who are the economy, they're the ones who take money from you give it to the top one percent right, but then runal campaigns about you not being able to keep a roof over your head.
Speaker 1: Why do democratics that's so scary around money and Republicans like we are scared to I feel like I feel like, well, this is just my assumption. I feel like Republicans are not afraid to tell you, like, look, this is how I grew up, but this is what I got, this is what I've done.
Speaker 3: That's where I can get you with us.
Speaker 1: I feel like we always have to be the like humble, the I'm still I feel you, I'm still here with you. And I think there's a lifestyle that people aspire to and want. Everybody wants to you watch Trump eat in your house for a long time. Everybody wants to lift this lifestyle, have this money, and they see him and he leans into it.
Speaker 3: We just I don't know why, why do we have to know that? I don't know that.
Speaker 1: I don't know that on this side of the like on the Democratic side of how that people are that rich either, Like I think the most important thing to understand is like Donald Trump is a failed businessman who has projected riches but not rich at all, And even especially after these court cases and the fines he's had to pay and have to borrow money to pay them. But Kamala Harris on the other side, talks about being raised in a middle class household and she went straight from law school into public service.
Speaker 7: But the inspiration never does win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm saying that the reason why there's start of leaning in here is because that would be false.
Speaker 7: But he is false too.
Speaker 8: It's leaning into it, I know that, But I think that it's it's people like to vote for something that looks like a success. And he exudes success even though all of his businesses crumbled underneath his thumb.
Speaker 7: But he's marketing, suggested otherwise, sparketing.
Speaker 8: I mean, he owns a company right now that ain't nobody own his platform and it's and it is it is somehow value that of the same value of the media.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well the.
Speaker 5: App that he social Hey, I just want you all to know that Trump is at two ten and the old people in South Carolina and is panic.
Speaker 16: And I'm looking at my group chet well, let me let me tell you guys, Facebook group chest the old People's not going how many great suff the old Jesus definitely green?
Speaker 9: Yeah, and Jess it looks like, look like we're in trouble.
Speaker 5: Trump is overforming.
Speaker 3: Where is he overperforming?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think that's the question we have to answer if they can point us to the states where he's overperforming.
Speaker 5: I think we have seen inconceivable he said, this isn'tconceavable.
Speaker 8: Me.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you.
Speaker 1: Is this one thing that we've seen and we saw it happen in Florida as well, Andrew in twenty eighteen, there are several ballot initiatives in states all over the country. One that's up in Arizona is Proposition of one thirty nine, which is the right to abortion. Right now, that ballot initiative to ensure that there is a right to abortion in the state is overperforming Vice President Harris right now, that is a yes. It is a sixty three point one percent of the vote. Whereas she's performing and I lost.
Speaker 3: Oh, here it is. She currently has forty.
Speaker 1: Nine point five five percent of the vote to Donald Trump's forty nine point six. She's neck and neck, But that right to abortion is overperforming. I'm interested too, I'm interested. Yeah, I'm interested to see why that is. Because if federally they're able to ban abortion. That state ballot initiative does not matter. It gets Trump, it gets trumped because of federalism.
Speaker 3: I would argue that most people likely do not understand that. I know they don't.
Speaker 6: And I will say something controversial that I disagreeing with Charlemagne about, you know, him speaking to the poor, and this is what people care about.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say something that people don't like to hear. What most people in this country are are not intellectually curious about a lot of things. And I think Trump's rise to power has coincided with the dumbing down of the American electorate and the confluence of things that led to that. If you ask, most people are where are you getting your information from? Most people are not reading papers. Most people are not even curious enough to read a website.
Speaker 5: But it's fair.
Speaker 7: It's it's also fair.
Speaker 3: It's the fact that he's saying immigrants are come and taking you jobs.
Speaker 6: But you can look and see if that information is true or not. Like I I read probably eight papers every day. But there are things that when you read the article and then you see what's on television, it is a snapshot of something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but people don't see that. They don't see that Mercy schools are clothes immigrants.
Speaker 5: Hotels.
Speaker 9: Don't have to be intelligent to know that you can't.
Speaker 5: Eat, don't.
Speaker 1: I agree with that because they're real like I don't. They don't have had the time to do this because you're trying to figure out Okay, bet so my kids.
Speaker 6: But they do have the time. That's my problem. If you can sit on Instagram for an hour, you have the time to look at a camp.
Speaker 7: But do you have the time to part even if they did? Right now?
Speaker 8: With the disinformation of information, you don't know what's true or what's not. You don't know, and you can find an opinion out there that looks angel that reflects your view.
Speaker 1: But I will facebook all the wrong all the wrong cousins from Facebook. I'll be like, get off the inner I said, share respond. I do want to say too. There's one other disparity I want to talk about. I know I just talked about abortion on the ballot in Arizona. One of the other things that we haven't talked a lot about tonight are split tickets. So some people will vote Democrat or Republican at the top of the ballot and then do something different when they go down ballot. One place where we're seeing that again is in North Carolina. We talked earlier about the craziness that was Mark Robinson, who's only captured forty percent of the vote to Josh Stein's fifty five point one percent of the vote. But when you look at Kamala Harris's percentage right now, it's it's significantly lower. She's at forty seven point eight percent to Donald Trump's fifty point eight percent, so it's slightly under three percent. There's a difference between them, but the other the gubernatorial candidate Molly wopped Mark Robinson.
Speaker 3: But it'd been nice to see consistency. But we talked about split.
Speaker 6: Tickets earlier, that there are people who will vote for the top of the ticket and then vote differently down valley, especially on some of those vallid initiatives. But I still maintain that people do that because they don't understand the process and how it works. And I'm not blaming that exclusively on people voters and non voters. I think there's a lot of shared responsibility in that. But we have to at some point start holding voters accountable for having the intellectual curiosity to at least go out and look and find information. And I don't buy this that people don't have time, because it might be if they have time to send articles on Facebook, you have time to go to the source.
Speaker 3: You can literally go to the campaigns and see where people. So let me ask you a question.
Speaker 10: With an hour before we get to midnight Eastern time, what should we be looking for? What should we be seeing Jesus, what's to be coming in now?
Speaker 6: I don't know if that we'll see the major states. I don't know that we'll get results tonight from Pennsylvania.
Speaker 8: Wiss Well, Again depends on how quickly how many people accountant to Pennsylvania.
Speaker 9: With Trump at two ten, what state could come in right now?
Speaker 5: You'd be like, all right, bro, so.
Speaker 8: Well, California could come in and he would be less than where she is and the total so yeah, and the whole state is that all of the state, all of his votes will go one way or the other.
Speaker 9: And if we thought sixteen I remember when Hillary went CALLI and they're like, oh.
Speaker 7: Shoot, no, no, no, you asked now when midn'tight? What might what? What?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 3: For him? He would not have she would Happen's a.
Speaker 8: Big thing that can happen for any of them. It is going to be a state by state I mean there would be states that will put huge numbers back in her column. That's when California comes through. But if I were voted right now wondering about what I should be paying attention to, right I would be tracking the Michigan outcome. And again I think they were at fifty to fifty two percent of the vote being counted there Wisconsin, Uh, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin.
Speaker 3: Michigan, Wisconsin is one there one percentage point a difference right now FIFI fifty six.
Speaker 8: Has a lot more than counted, so they will have to continue to watch those. And then I would throw in their Nevada and Arizona.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a question about you keep mentioning Nevada. I was listening to CNN earlier today and they were saying that if Kamala doesn't win Pennsylvania, she shouldn't. She doesn't have to worry because she can grab Nevada and the Arizona and one other state.
Speaker 3: How do you got?
Speaker 1: It just depends, So we have to actually look at the map, and we encourage all the viewers at home to do the same. There is electoral College maps and Lauren on here too. You can mark, I've been putting the numbers on the line.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I've been saying I need to ie. So you were saying Michigan, Wisconsin.
Speaker 3: Nevada's battle ground, uh Arizona. You just said Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Georgia.
Speaker 8: North Carolina Georgia again are not states that are must win states.
Speaker 3: For her to win them depending on how the rest of the map.
Speaker 8: Are, assuming the blue wall holes, which I don't have a reason to think that it would. But if it if it, if it held, she won't need either of those two states to make the difference for her.
Speaker 7: Other than so they just said.
Speaker 1: I just want to shout out myself because they just said seeing in Nebraska's fascinating.
Speaker 3: I said that. Everybody blew me off.
Speaker 17: I did that.
Speaker 9: We got another text from a ol G.
Speaker 3: What is happening on the phone over eighty answer over.
Speaker 5: Eighty o G. Her but's getting kicked still with a hell married past God willing.
Speaker 3: Oh they're all to the states.
Speaker 5: What the streets are saying is what the streets are saying.
Speaker 3: Look, what I want you to do is look at knowing compared to twenty twenty, I.
Speaker 8: Thought had lost, and we went to bed about two am. Yeah, and I was fully prepared for a Trump presidency when I woke up, and we woke up the next day.
Speaker 7: The numbers have flipped, and in the ensuing days they're not.
Speaker 1: It's not that they flipped if you do all the count but yeah, I want to make sure that we're very careful about our language because we're expecting political violence from people that are suspecting that the election is rigged. When you look at the exit polls for Trump supporters and be they're saying that they don't trust the process, even though they're turning out in large numbers. They're saying they don't trust that the voting process is one built in integrity. Well, we're not saying that now votes are going to flip to her. What we're saying is there are significant states that you need to count to get to two seventy that aren't in yet.
Speaker 8: Right I'm talking about the existing states that right now look as if they are Trump states, And as the vote continues to be counted and the tally is totaled, they end up in a different column. And they're not ending up there because they're being stolen. They end up there because the vote tallies dictate that that's exactly where they are supposed to be. The only reason why I keep saying I went to bed thinking one way is because if you're in a mood right now and you're wondering whether or not you know, we're repeating history. We are repeating history, twenty twenty history and not twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looks it's almost the same. Look at it.
Speaker 1: So I'm showing letting our turn your computer this way. Tip is probably looking at it on our phone. Turn turn your computer, well, actually turn you over that way. I want you to come this is twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: Oh, I see what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, okay, so now can you shake your shoulders? Little bit going on down there? You're watching?
Speaker 3: Yeah, hell, I thought I heard a little juvenile.
Speaker 7: Okay, oh my god, yeah, they playing with you down I heard it. I heard it.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to focus up here.
Speaker 9: I heard.
Speaker 3: How are you feeling?
Speaker 9: I'm send that out for the old people.
Speaker 1: Honestly, right now, I feel like I'm learning in real time because I feel like I've never paid this much attention for this long. On election night, I think I go vote, we listened a little bit, go to sleep, wake up, it's whatever. So I think in real time, I'm learning just how these things can slowly progress.
Speaker 7: And yeah, yeah, I'm learning the watch.
Speaker 3: I honestly, for the last.
Speaker 1: I would say maybe like two weeks, I don't really feel anything. I'm just kind of waiting for whatever's going to happen so I can figure out what I have to do.
Speaker 7: We can praise.
Speaker 1: I'm at the point in my life where, like, whatever happens, I got to deal with it. I know what I want to hair home.
Speaker 10: I'm very hopeful, I'm afraid, and you know, with us jumping into politics like we did in the last couple of years, it's just so I have so many questions of why right in the last couple We've been doing it for about a more seriously last I would say six seven years. But you know, I want to I have questions like why, like why we still played with his electorial votes, Like I said earlier, why is it not just not the popular vote now?
Speaker 3: Like electoral college.
Speaker 1: I want to see Lauren and Envy run a campaign to get rid of the electoral college.
Speaker 3: Now I'm good. I just think it's I think what would be better. There actually are people doing that work that you can joined.
Speaker 6: And the Eric cold former Attorney General Airic Holder, who was the Attorney General under President Obama, he was posed this question a lot, and you know, they said, what would it hate to get rid of the electoral College? And they said, well, you know that's a heavy lift. And he said, well then we have to lift heavy. So his organization is actually fighting to do that. You can fund that organization, you can host something for him, you can be a part of it. As long as long as you're asked the questions, why, be sure to have an answer, contribute to the answer, like be a part of the solution.
Speaker 3: How effective is it is it?
Speaker 1: Like, because I feel like with the Green Party situation, like it's not effective, but it's there.
Speaker 3: How is what he is his campaign?
Speaker 8: I will tell you honestly, I think it's going to be near impossible to get white people to say we will give up our power and that's what that's what will be required. They don't have to say we're willing to give up our power. So in republic, so in the state of Florida, we would benefit greatly by a populist vote being able to make a decision, except that I also know that if I did that, the majority of populated places are democratic and they will use Democrats every time in a popular vote.
Speaker 7: So if your power is derived.
Speaker 8: From people making policies that benefit largely white Republican voters, why would I change.
Speaker 7: I'm not giving that away.
Speaker 8: So I think it is going to and because you got to get two thirds of states to agree to a change in the constitution, we better start spreading out and you know, high grade.
Speaker 1: It's our advantage. I'm going nowhere. I want to I just really quick. I wanted to just highlight some of these valid initiatives again. Colorado Amendments seventy nine, the right to abortion and health insurance.
Speaker 7: Coverage passed and Florida went down.
Speaker 3: Florida it did not pass.
Speaker 7: Maryland marijuana, oh wow, went down.
Speaker 1: Maryland passed the right to abortion amendment, and there's a few others that are still out. New York also passed the right to abortion amendments. So when you guys talk about why envy, we have to figure out a way to engage people beyond just candidates.
Speaker 3: We have to so many of these ballid initiatives.
Speaker 1: There were more than one hundred and forty, I believe in forty plus states, and fifty seven of those were led by citizens. They weren't led by elected officials, They didn't come down from state legislators. We gotta figure out a way to get people involved. What we do know is the way that we've done it has historically just barely worked. But I think there are a whole lot more people out here in this country that think like us, who are just disenfranchised, who feel like they've.
Speaker 3: Never been heard and never seen by the political process.
Speaker 1: So I'm so grateful to be doing this show with y'all tonight as Leonard zones out, because I think I think that we need to be with y'all to figure out what how can we make this conversation more pedestrian, more accessible, and more tangible so people feel like there is a pathway to victory for them with building political power.
Speaker 10: Do you think celebrity works, because we were talking about this on the Breakfast Club. Do you think all these you know, needing all these celebrities to speak and celebrities to perform in celebrities KAA, he doesn't mean anything though.
Speaker 5: For whatever reason, it doesn't seem like celebrity works for Democrats, but for some strange reason, the celebrity billionaire works for Republicans.
Speaker 7: I don't think it works for either.
Speaker 8: But I tell you what they do do because I ran a campaign that's solicited celebrities to come in and help as well.
Speaker 7: What they do is they bring attention.
Speaker 8: They bring the news to stories that don't you know, if you're not getting pressed, they can help get you some you'll take advantage of that. But it has been surveyed, it's been polled, it's been proven that the most influential voice to change your perspective one way, as it relates to who you might support or not support, is a person.
Speaker 7: That you know personally.
Speaker 8: So we have the most influence over the family we have. We have the most influence over our true friends, the folks who look to you. They trust you, and they believe you. But celebrities bring attention, and I think that's a value to a campaign. But when you think about endorsements, it's the endorsement of the person you know, you trust, you have a relationship with that's gonna move you.
Speaker 7: To vote a certain way or to vote at all. Right, it's gonna be our family, the people we knowing.
Speaker 3: I don't think celebrity works on the right either.
Speaker 6: I don't think there are people who are voting for Donald Trump because Hawk Hogan shows up or Kid.
Speaker 3: Rock shows who's not even delivered votes for Trump?
Speaker 6: I had support, I do, so you think there were people who were I'm not going to vote for Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: Oh but wait, Elon Must supports what about the way to manipulated that all day long? That is different. That's not celebrity.
Speaker 5: I haven't watched it, but a lot of people have been raving about the interview he just did with Joe Roge.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's all over everything.
Speaker 5: I haven't watched it, but they're saying what they was like, Yo, he's stilled the deal he sold me on, I'm not even yes.
Speaker 3: I've heard your business. You're saying what now? Must did an interview with.
Speaker 9: Two days two or three days ago.
Speaker 5: Everybody was saying how he they was like you he stealed to deal with I don't even know what he said.
Speaker 6: I would go back to my earlier point about the dumbing down of the American electorate. When Joe Rogan is your go to person who can convince you to vote one way or another.
Speaker 1: Musk Elon Musk didn't just do that interview though, He's literally changed the algorithm on Twitter so that we're seeing a lot of conservative and miss I feel like it should be, especially when he went on stage and was like, I got a million dollars, Finny to show me that you registered to vote somewhere.
Speaker 3: Say it was just projected for vice president here. I don't know, but I know he got to look crazy everyway to tip only the people down here.
Speaker 5: I think that we complicate a lot of these things, and it's it's just kind of simple, That's what I'm saying. It's literally about people want to feel like they got more money in their pocket and they want to feel safe, and that is Those are two very simple things.
Speaker 9: That for some reason Democrats aren't able to.
Speaker 1: So why do they believe the Republican who has a track record in the history of saying this is not a thing, are saying this is gonna happen, but it actually is not a thing. Versus democratic administrations that have proven over and over again through tax credits, through trying to democratize what's happening with She's coming to grab me about to go down there with the people and be down there. We can back and forth a little bit. So okay, in my heels, about to track it down there to be outside with the before you guys, what what you say? Don't you sitting here looking like a white blow your hands gonna be blowing white toes.
Speaker 3: Don't see it. Keep the light skins out of it. Lauren, we was all together.
Speaker 5: Tell them we got sorry, got her retail comb to get up under her home.
Speaker 1: When you do, he just man that he needs sell. When I get to the we can't wait to hear from you, Laura, we're gonna see you down there.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'ldia.
Speaker 1: California's in, which what Andrew was saying earlier that the lead will decrease once California comes in. She's not ahead, but the lead is significantly discre decreased with California coming in. So tell all them South Carolinians both we see walking all.
Speaker 7: Over that what I do?
Speaker 5: What I said? I see them the map, and I said this was the map. In twenty twenty, she came back.
Speaker 3: She came in updating us on something we already doing. Lauren needs headpoles that ain't delayed. Poor baby.
Speaker 8: I'd be curious to know what percent of the vote is in in Pennsylvania Michigan.
Speaker 3: So right now on the.
Speaker 1: Map that I have, it says too close to call sixty eight percent in Pennsylvania and Michigan.
Speaker 3: It's too of course it reloaded.
Speaker 5: I was talking Pennsylvania for me, I got sixty seven percent reporting and fifty one percent for Trump.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: North Carolina eighty six percent reporting fifty point nine percent for Trump, Michigan twenty seven percent reporting fifty one point two percent for Trump. Georgia ninety percent reporting fifty one point one percent for Trump.
Speaker 1: Jesus Wisconsin is sixty percent reporting fifty point four percent for Trump. Now I got forty nine point nine and she's a She's at forty eight point four percent, which is just a little under two percent and at the very very close races. What we need to remember, Tiffany said this earlier as well. Some of the last counties to be counted are the blackest, and most and the most urban counties because they are significantly larger counties, so those are normally holdouts. They're also the ones that experience the most death threats, the most harassment and so and we've seen that across the board, both in southern states like Georgia and of course in Pennsylvania, as we reported earlier today.
Speaker 7: Well, regardless of the tactics, somebody will win those states.
Speaker 3: Mi shell Over.
Speaker 6: There was an incident at a polling site earlier this week in South Carolina that Bakari Sellers shared with us. He posted it on Twitter, and it was all the polling workers, all the pole workers were black women. I'm sure you've seen this, and the white man with the Maga hat on. He was not supposed to be in there with the hat on. They were trying to ask him to take it off, and he wouldn't and he got he physically confronted the black women.
Speaker 3: I watched that.
Speaker 6: It was about six or seven black women and this white man and he got violent with them. And I watched that and I knew instantly that he would never have behaved that way had those been black men in that room.
Speaker 3: They only act like that when they're.
Speaker 7: Good.
Speaker 6: I felt like all the black women should the one woman had the cane. I'm like, y'all should have took that cane and beat the crap out of that, dude, because I got to assume my life is in danger if you're confront of me like that. But I bring that up to say, one, the threats of political violence are real. We have tangible evidence of that. But two, these are the people Charlemagne that you're saying, what do we do on the other side of this? I have no interest in connecting with that man. I already know who he is. I already know who those pockets of people are, and I wonder how eboldened these folks will continue to be regardless of how this race turns out. That's really what's the main thing on my mind, because we may not know what happens tonight, but regardless of what happens, there is an ugly underbelly in this country that has been unearthed in a way that puts us all in harm's way.
Speaker 5: I think Jim Clyburn said it's gonna be Jim Pro two point n Clyburn said it was gonna be Jim Pro two point Oh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, all right, do you guys have any concerns about that? Look, we all live in cities where we're gonna be mostly safe. They're you know, progressive cities. Uh in black cities. But I'm curious if you guys are worried about family members or whatever happened.
Speaker 5: I don't even think you can be I don't think you can be safe in a progressive city.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say that over I feel safe. I mean, I'm here at the nation's capital.
Speaker 7: I do.
Speaker 10: I don't feel safe sometimes a journy, especially for my kids going around. You know, I got to worry about my kids driving down the road and a big pickup truck where a Trump flag comes and sees him, and what they might do, what he might think about doing if my son cuts him off by accident, what they might you know, possibly be doing for my son, or say anything with my daughter. So I am very nervous, and I've seen how it shifted in the last I would say ten years before that, I.
Speaker 3: Didn't get that. I didn't have that as much.
Speaker 10: But I seem like, I feel like a lot of times when I see that Trump flag, it's almost like a sign of racism.
Speaker 3: When I yeah, so it does make me nervous.
Speaker 10: Regardless of what state I live in or what state I visited, I feel like it's everywhere. And then when I visit these states, and I visit these cities, and I'm doing shows in these cities, and I see people. I was in Sophora the other day. I was getting something for my wife and a guy walked in with a red Make America gray had again, and it's scared to shoot out of me. It's just because it was shocking. He was just going in there shopping. But that's what that means to me when I look at it, and it means that to a lot of people.
Speaker 7: Agree.
Speaker 1: It's so triggering, I think, especially I think it didn't. It was irritating in twenty sixteen, but after what happened on January sixth, twenty twenty one, where you literally saw the Trump flag, the Confederate flag, and the American flag all together on January sixth, All of them are triggering to me, but that one especially because it's like, I understand everything that this man is connected to. But trump Ism wins the day for me. It wins the day for me over democracy, It wins the day for me over whether or not we can be equal or not. In fact, I don't want to share my power with you. Is the message that I feels like they're sinning. So I understand exactly what you're saying. I was telling my homegirls. We were two of us were getting ready to go eat in New York and this man was wearing a Make America Grade Again hat and he passed me once that he passed me twice, and then he came back a third time.
Speaker 3: And by that time Alicia was there, and I was so scared. I was like, does he know who we are?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 3: Is he coming to attack?
Speaker 1: I literally just got on the phone just because I was waiting for our reservation at the restaurant.
Speaker 3: It is so triggering and it's very scary.
Speaker 1: So in a place like when it was, It's in New York, and it's like in Tribeca, right, It's not like you know, in the Bronx or it's places where you know some of the other folks can act a little different queens. It was literally right there in Rebecca and I was like, Okay, what's happening? Do I get ready to I think we had to go like that.
Speaker 6: I think, yeah, I'm not condoning violence, but if you are crazy enough fix on front me, I have to assume my life is in danger and I'm gonna act accordingly. And I think when I saw that man and how he treated those women, I assume their lives were in danger. So if I'm in presence and I'm assuming somebody else's life is in danger, I'm going to act accordingly in that case too. So again, this is something that transcends tonight's election results. This cycles election results. I just think we have turned a point in this country where the violence will become a lie more ubiquitous than what we've seen previous.
Speaker 5: That way, the Hampton University campus, why you contemplating where he's gonna moved?
Speaker 3: Father? Come on, Chris, come up here, Chris? What are you saying while Chris is coming up here?
Speaker 10: I was gonna say, so, we're on h U hamp universe, I said, Hampton Howard University's campus. Will Kamala Harris speak to the crowd regardless of what happens, She is gonna come out and she's gonna speak to the to the spits and alumni and all that tonight. Why wouldn't you?
Speaker 9: I would wait for what I don't know, Well, she has to.
Speaker 3: All these people are here. She will definitely come out tonight. I will't say this.
Speaker 10: Charlemagne and I were at Hillary Clinton's oh Lord celebration, and she didn't come out, so I was just asking her, it's just definitely coming out.
Speaker 5: If she was to lose, it wouldn't feel like that. Hillary was a complete and total shock, like.
Speaker 9: Whoa, what just happened? This isn't but she had the popular vot.
Speaker 5: This isn't.
Speaker 9: This is a recompletely total shock.
Speaker 3: You said this isn't. We're not, but we don't know you.
Speaker 9: We don't know yet what I'm saying. But if it was to happen, it wouldn't be a completely.
Speaker 8: Unexpected and unprecedented what we saw in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 8: Hillary Clinton was really the first model for that, like what do you do? Our Gore was another model for it. He didn't come out in two thousand. Uh, the evening is all.
Speaker 3: Right, went okay, another state for vice president here.
Speaker 1: Is And while we're waiting to see what that state is, Chris Morrow feeling brohi is are we call him the Podfather? Tiffany I was combined the names because I always say podcast godfather. He owes a reason choice with us, and he was over there looking crazy enough for Lenard to be like, look at grass, So we called him up here Chris, what's wrong with your man?
Speaker 18: I'm not feeling great at the moment. I gotta be honest.
Speaker 3: Show him to overlay it the map Lenard so he can calm down. He doesn't have to old one, he only.
Speaker 18: I mean, I've been I've been updating every couple of seconds. I mean, you know, I've been wandering around in the crowd. I'm trying to pick up some energy to boost myself up. I'm not finding it.
Speaker 7: Tell me what had you most concerned? Which states?
Speaker 18: Yeah, you, Pam. I mean, I'm a Pennsylvania native. I'm originally from Pennsylvania. Today Philadelphia. Well, I live in Brooklyn, so I voted in New York. But you know, my mother was at the polls this morning. She wasn't optimistic. So I'm concerned about that. And you know, maybe an hour ago, I think Harris was up eleven, and now it's completely swung and they have Trump up I think two right now with about sixty five percent of the voting.
Speaker 7: Two points.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was sevente. I assume Philadelphia has not been counted yet.
Speaker 18: No, And then you know, I'm I'm here having a mini existential crisis over there, and I'm like talking to people, and people are like, these are the rural rural county cities haven't been counted yet. Don't freak out. There's still a long way to go, so I'm trying not to freak out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, don't. Okay, thank you, Yeah, I mean, I'm I'll share with you.
Speaker 8: We went to bed in twenty twenty thinking that the Democratic loss because similar maps were coming in until the ensuing days and the votes continue to be counted, and it's swaying the other direction, largely because absentee challenge ballots as well as many of the urban centers don't come in until later. They're the last and many places to come in.
Speaker 1: In states like Virginia right Like Virginia right now is seventy nine percent and she's leading by two percentage points. That's thirteen electoral votes right there too. So I think that we just have to pay attention to the ones that are too close to call, pay attention to the urban centers that haven't yet been counted. Those are the larger populations in those states. And then also the West Coast because a lot of these states they haven't even they haven't even opened up, that closed the doors yet.
Speaker 5: One thing you showed me on the back from twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Was they flipped Georgia in twenty twenty. Yeah, Georgia almost like flippant Georgia.
Speaker 7: They're not. They don't have to, you know, they don't have to.
Speaker 5: No, Okay, I think they could.
Speaker 7: Right now.
Speaker 3: It says there's eighty eight percent of precincts reporting and he's got just barely a two percentage point lead over.
Speaker 8: Again, Georgia's noted state. I was putting in the Democratic column it was a holy purple state.
Speaker 3: I mean, that was the first time. That was a huge deal.
Speaker 6: That took the work of a lot of people leading up to that election cycle for Georgia to go blue.
Speaker 7: But I don't think we know that george is a blue state.
Speaker 3: No, it's not. But I do think Georgia is decisively a purple state.
Speaker 7: Now I think it's competitive.
Speaker 1: Well, we talked about white folks earlier in states being very white, and that's why they're red. However, Oregon has been called for Kamala Harris as well, and that is very white.
Speaker 5: And there you got a live action Oregon Trail movie coming out. I don't know if you' all excited about that.
Speaker 7: I remember saying the hell of the transition. I remember playing that.
Speaker 9: That was a game, kid, I'm just trying to find some joy.
Speaker 7: When the wheel flew out, the wood wheel.
Speaker 5: And you had to shoot the bison.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was the food.
Speaker 7: Good play that let me. Let me ask you guys a question. Was wall is the right pick?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 7: I think so. No, I don't think. I don't think it makes a difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, that's true.
Speaker 5: I could have it could have. I don't think because because she was a VP who made a difference for a lot of people. I did. I voted, I would have that's a good.
Speaker 3: Point, but made difference for me.
Speaker 7: I don't think.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think Josh Shapiro would have made a big difference statistically.
Speaker 7: I think it would have been harmful to her.
Speaker 3: I think he would have.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she already has enough baggage with the ceasefire people. I think having a Zionist on the ticket with her would have been detrimental to her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but the people are never gonna be on her side until it is the cease fire like they were.
Speaker 6: I don't I don't know about that. I think that there are people who can say, you know, I can hold my nose and vote for her. As you know, I don't anticipate something different happening. We had Mark Lamont Hill on the on our live show from Philly yesterday talk about that. But I mean I asked you'll recall, I asked Governor Shapiro when we were at the d n C his thoughts on Gaza, and he is very clearly he feels very strongly in support of of of Israel. And look, nobody is not in support of Israel, but we are just equally in support of a Palestinian's right to life and safety and the Palestinian's right to exist. I think having somebody who doesn't feel that way, or who does not openly project to feel that way, it would have been detrimental.
Speaker 5: Don't feel that way, definitely don't.
Speaker 7: But he's been out.
Speaker 3: I been out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you that. Where I agree with that too, it's not covered. Where they found Walls is where they should have left walls.
Speaker 3: That was on No.
Speaker 1: No, no, I'm not saying that shady. No, no, I'm not saying I'm not saying. In Minnesota. What people don't understand is that Tim Walls was absolutely campaigning.
Speaker 3: For the VP slot.
Speaker 1: As soon as things started moving, he was one of the first most profound pundits on cable news. They should have left him there. They should have never tried to restrain him on cable He was on cable news as a governor. As soon as Harris is at the top of the ticket, he went on immediately and was defending her. He's the one that came with the weird o messaging frame. He was very effective on cable news. They sought to restrain him when he got to the top.
Speaker 3: Or when he became number two on the ticket, and I think that was a very ineffective strategy.
Speaker 1: Now it will be the best thing ever if they pulled this thing out. But I will tell you, and they noticed. I've said the whole time, I'm very I'm very intrigued by Josh Shapiro. I think the way that he connects with people. I've interviewed with him with y'all, he's very, very good and effective. But I do I have to agree with tiff. We did hear Marklea mind Hill say on the show yesterday. As you all know, markle mint Hill is a member of the Green Party. He said he's voting for Kamala Harris, and he felt like she said a strong signal to them by picking.
Speaker 3: I'm not picking, Joshapiro.
Speaker 9: You know what bringing joy?
Speaker 5: Watching people enjoy their food, and I'm watching April Ryan over there going, why are you.
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 6: I think Charlemagne needs some joy, some more joy. And shortly we are going to be joyed by one of the most joyful women I know, and that's Latashah Brown a black voters matter.
Speaker 3: So don't go anywhere in the building. Can run to the bathroom. Okay, she's here, Oh she is, We're ready. Yeah, why you take a bio break that you want to come? You don't want to miss it. You want to be and don't get my tracksuit messed up? And oh.
Speaker 9: One thing Aboutsah Brown round is the realist?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 3: Oh yes, you don't take you right here? Oh Chris Morrow. Okay, Chris Morrow said, take his Natasha. Let's forget Latasha. Natasha to come on. We all tell her to get off the phone. Whereby if she were going on any other network, Get on your headphones on, can lo lo get some headphones that work? This is not work.
Speaker 5: Come Chris, you sure you don't want the edible?
Speaker 7: I mean.
Speaker 3: You guys were having better property. There are no edibles. It's just a joke. Latasha, come on down around, come on down on the phone. Man, come on honey, right here side, right over there. Thanks Chris Morrow, Thanks Podfather. Come sit right next to Lenard. Tasha acts like you love him even though he's different.
Speaker 5: Here you go, Latasha, A.
Speaker 3: Fancy.
Speaker 7: Wasn't she your VP SG She wasn't amazing.
Speaker 6: Somebody is to be watching. He was waving, Doctor Kia Grant was waving and Andrew. But we are joined by Latasha Brown, sister Blackwater Matter. She runs that with Cliff all right, and we are so happy to have you on set. Latasha, because Charlemagne, why trying to bring our joy down.
Speaker 5: I'm just I'm just looking at the realistic reality. I'm just trying to think about all possibilities and all possible outcomes.
Speaker 17: But it's still a pathway, okay, Like it's still a pathway. And listen, the bottom line is for black folk, like at the end of the day, what do we do when it's easy at the end of the day, Like I hear, but there's no major surprises.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think the only surprise though.
Speaker 17: Is how to hear all these millions of people of voting for this man like that, we know it, but really, what's gonna happen? I will say this, whatever happens tonight is a reflection.
Speaker 3: Of this country. That's right. That's just the truth.
Speaker 17: It's a reflection of where we are, what we think about ourselves, and what we think about each other as neighbors.
Speaker 3: And so that is the truth we can depend on that.
Speaker 1: You guys have knocked on so many doors and made so many contacts with voters, both old and new. Latasha, what are some of the surprises you saw in the field in some of the states.
Speaker 6: As Angela joined them. By the way, there's some people she did join. Black voters matter. She was nor Docking.
Speaker 3: That's like I messed up, I said, nord Docking on alive. I've never live it down. I was Angela was in these streets. I know something.
Speaker 17: I think the biggest surprise. There were no real big surprise. I think that the biggest My biggest surprise. Where we were talking to people a few days ago and they were saying that they were going to vote on like middle age folks, they were going to vote on election day. They weren't gonna vote on early voting because they didn't trust voting on early voting. And so that was a surprise to me. Right, I was really shocked to hear that. You heard that in Georgia, or I heard that in Georgia. But there were multiple states, right that there is. There's a lot of trust been eroded from across the country with some of the stuff that Trump has been seeing. It's so interesting because we don't think that it's hurtful, but it's been hurtful.
Speaker 3: For the entire process.
Speaker 5: And so he went North Carolina.
Speaker 17: I wasn't surprised. I said he was gonna win now Georgia. I'm a little I'm still trying to all the little face.
Speaker 3: Wait are you saying they projected?
Speaker 9: They called it.
Speaker 5: He's forty electoral?
Speaker 3: That's fine? Yes, yes, quite a distance, quite a distance how in North Carolina?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 3: Ain't how you feeling? How you feeling?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 3: I am in this moment.
Speaker 17: I'm scared his head right, I'm holding my joy. But they got an do with me being scared.
Speaker 5: I don't want to know.
Speaker 3: Hope you got up here. Leonard said, where bring Natasha? Because she's a realist. Listen, he did say that before you got it right? You know it is what is scaring you. She just says she's scared.
Speaker 17: The number scaring me the number numbers. You know, Georgia, it's too close in Georgia. I really thought that Georgia was gonna have a different outcome North Carolina, I said, North Carolina.
Speaker 3: I wasn't surprised by North Carolina. Arizona.
Speaker 17: I'm a little surprised, but you know, I really thought that Arigrizona, that she would perform better in Arizona.
Speaker 7: It's gotta be.
Speaker 1: The results only fifty it's too close, but it's only fifty one percent.
Speaker 3: Okay, do you think he's gonna win Arizona? I? O, yes, you think he's gonna win. O Lord, what are your thoughts that? I'm a little disappointed that Georgia. Oh, I am super disappointed. Question what happened?
Speaker 9: Didn't say she have the magical powers the mobilized people in Georgia?
Speaker 5: Like what happened?
Speaker 6: Well, let me say Stacey Abrams did a lot. I never want to take away from what that's but I just want to say she did not do that work alone. But Raja has been on ground like for decades. Black voters.
Speaker 17: Listen, Sister did her work, and there's been a lot of groups that have been doing work. But we're going to have to actually say voter suppression doesn't go away because we're working hard, we actually have to overcome that. So we're seeing that in the South. This year alone, y'all has been over three hundred bills been passed around voter suppression.
Speaker 3: So for all of us, it's been harder this year.
Speaker 17: That's just a reality, and so ultimately that doesn't make it's still it's like you're moving the gold post.
Speaker 3: And you gotta jump higher.
Speaker 17: You gotta jump higher, and then when you don't jump that high, then it becomes like a reflection on something wrong with you.
Speaker 3: Working our tails off in Georgia, right, we've been on the ground doing our work.
Speaker 17: But when you are Persian hundreds of thousands of voters, when you're creating laws and make it much more difficult for people in the process, it hasn't a cumulative effect.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna deal with that.
Speaker 17: Whether Harris wins or not, that's still a reality that we're faced, particularly in the South, which is why we need voter We need to make sure that we have stronger voter rights.
Speaker 3: Who is the guy you were on the panel with in Georgia, the secretary. It wasn't Y. Yeah, so this is a concern of mine. Yeah, he's a jackass.
Speaker 6: But I want to say this because he did a sixty minutes profiled him and he said something that I thought was so telling. He said, voter suppression is not real, and neither is like what I'm paraphrasing, but essentially neither is this idea that you're stealing an election.
Speaker 3: I know, basically the left is wrong and Donald Trump, I mean, white folks said slavery was good job.
Speaker 6: Precisely they uplifted him because he did the right thing. He became a hero for doing what he was supposed to do. It's like if I go into a store and I don't steal nothing, I'm all of a sudden he z because he didn't find these eleven thousand votes for Donald Trump. This is my challenge because I think so many people were so willing to celebrate him, and yet we do still see rampant voter suppression in this of Georgia, and people think, no.
Speaker 3: We fixed all those problems, We solved all those problems. So I think it's so crucial what you just said, we are climbing hurdles.
Speaker 17: We're climbing hurdles. Yes, we're climbing mountains. It wasn't even in twenty twenty two. As matter of fact, each of the in twenty twenty two, what we saw people kept saying, well, see, there's no voter suppression because there's been high voter turnout. Right, as if we didn't the amount of resources, the time, and the energy that we're doing around getting people, making sure that people are voting, making sure that folks have access to the ballot, that's crazy, right, It's really uncomfortable where we're going. So at the end of the day, when we're seeing this, we still have to factor in voter suppression whatever. Regardless of the outcome, voter suppression is real and it's impacting us. And it's like, that's about thousands to shave off a few years, You shave off a few there.
Speaker 3: And then you get this upmate outcome.
Speaker 17: And so part of what we've always been concerned about is we've got to overwhelm the vote. But what that does is that place an undue burden on us because listen, I ain't owning this right here, I'm not owning this.
Speaker 3: White women are gonna have to own this.
Speaker 17: Right, white being gonna have to own this Latino of being and women gonna have to own that.
Speaker 3: We're not just gonna own this.
Speaker 17: It is not our responsibility to say this democracy solely by ourselves. My concern is that every single day and time time so we have done the work and it's been a beautiful, brilliant coalition of people doing the work. But the truth of the matter is America is structurally stuck into racism and will not fundamentally deal with that because at the end of the day, this particular, we're seeing white white supremacy walk around the parade this self right with UTA.
Speaker 5: That's why I think we have to stop saying, uh, we're gonna save the democracy. They're getting the democracy they want. They're getting the democracy they voted for. Oh they So we just honestly, we probably just in the way because this is what they clearly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's not about It's not just about them.
Speaker 17: We're saving the democracy that we want to at least an element of it, because at the end of the day, we know harm reduction. So part of us we ain't black folks ain't crazy. We actually know that this system is racist. We know that this system has not worked in favor of us. We know that as marginalized. We're sitting here seeing a man with thirty four felonies, right, think about it, in a state that you couldn't even vote, right, having a felon conviction. Now it is that he's living and they actually were going after folks who were formerly incarcerated folks to get their rights back. But in that same state, this man has thirty four felonies and he's running for president. So we're literally looking at the double standard that has always been here. I don't think that black folks are fooled by believing in the system or protecting some democracy that is the democracy in the Constitution. But what we know is that when democracy is not in place, ie the opportunity for us to weigh.
Speaker 3: In on leadership, that it don't work well for us.
Speaker 17: When we're not able to put pe the place that actually a line or at least will protect us, it don't work well for us. Well, we don't have policies in place to make sure that we have resources for our children, for our families, it doesn't work well for us. So ultimately, there's a level of democracy that we're we recognize it's not the democracy we desire, we deserve, but it's one at the very least that reduces the harm happens.
Speaker 5: The pathway, the pathway Latasha, let me see what they're called. What's the pathway? Two thirty? What's the pathway to victory for the Michigan.
Speaker 3: No, she can still pull this Michigan. She gotta win all that.
Speaker 17: She gotta win Michigan, she gotta win in Pennsylvania, she gotta win Wisconsin.
Speaker 3: I think Minnesota is a done. Minnesota's done, is done.
Speaker 5: She couldn't even win the state that her VP from. And y'all telling me that.
Speaker 3: Was no that they didn't call that minutes No, I said, I mean, I mean I got that. Come on, now, come on now, it's too early to car it's too early to.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what was the biggest hurdle. Let you see, I think.
Speaker 3: Misinformation is disinformation.
Speaker 17: It's a huge right, Oh, absolutely, misinformation and disinformation like the kind of the information that is being seated in our community. And we can always tell it's interesting. We were going to some college campuses in Pennsylvania and North Carolina and we started hearing brothers at a particular.
Speaker 3: Age saying the same thing.
Speaker 17: And when you start seeing patterns, you're asking where you get that, and it's wrong information because something different right, And we kept hearing the patterns because there's information we.
Speaker 3: Know this is documented that Russia.
Speaker 17: Even right now that we saw in Georgia there were seven nineteen bomb threats that literally went to colds and polls in Georgia. Right the FBI put out a statement that that was from a rush. They checked paced that back to Russian. We've got to be clear I got Russian packages to my home in twenty twenty two, that there are other actors that have vested interest in this election cycle and they're actively targeting Black voters because we are leverage vote.
Speaker 3: But the truth of the matter is we're not the majority vote.
Speaker 17: We are the leverage vote, and so we've got to keep that we in order to have the kind of protection that we need. We literally have to have our liveship. And so the question is they're not gonna put this on the feet of just black vote. At the end of the day, I'm asking the question, don't be talking to me about no black men. What these white women need What do you.
Speaker 5: Think about things like somebody just posted an interesting data point. Donald Trump just won Anston County, North Carolina. The county is forty percent black. Trump becomes just the second Republican to win this county since the eighteen seventies.
Speaker 17: You know, I've got to look at what the turnout numbers. That seems like it's probably a turnout issue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it means it may mean and let me see it.
Speaker 9: Where is it Anston County, North Carolina.
Speaker 17: I need to see where it's located because I also am concerned about turnout. Part of North Carolina. I was concerned about turnout because.
Speaker 3: Of the storm.
Speaker 17: Right when you walked to the storm and I know you noticed andrew it uphill for your entire life. People are not really thinking about elections. It's not at the top of their peace. So for me, I would look at it and I would think, I don't think you're not gonna find this big exodus of black voters to the Republicans.
Speaker 3: I do think what you'll see is you'll see a turnout.
Speaker 8: Shit.
Speaker 1: I want to go back to Arizona really quick and then go back to Arizona. The reason why I want to go back to Arizona is because right now he's beating her by point one percentage points. In twenty twenty, Joe Biden only won Arizona by point three percentage joint point three percentage points.
Speaker 17: So Arizona is a tough one and the Latino vote, like it's really the key vote in that area is a Latino vote.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna have to see what.
Speaker 1: You don't think that they would have responded positively to the immigration proposals by the Harris Walls ticket.
Speaker 3: They went a lot more conservative, right, Yeah, that's what I think. I think they went a lot more conservative.
Speaker 17: And we're gonna see. We're gonna see how to watch us out. You know what I've been hearing so far, and I haven't had a chance. That's why I'm having had the chance to really look at the data. So I want to be I want to be real and authentic what I'm saying. You know, I'm not trying, like, we gotta deal in truth. We gonna really take our people to the next level. We got to deal with the truth of it, and we've got to deal with what's the element of what is happening in this country. Because I do believe there's a larger issue. This ain't about just Trump and Harris. This really is a reflection of where we are as a country. Like, ultimately, there's some people that are saying we're gonna die on the sword right based on protecting white interests at all costs. Right, don't care about the democracy, we don't care about patriotism, none of that. At the end of the day, we at all costs, we're gonna protect white supremacy. This man has insulted every sing He's broken every rule that you can break.
Speaker 9: He got something greater than the white privilege.
Speaker 3: What you got, I don't know, white privilege, white privilege. Call will cause a civil war.
Speaker 5: The majority of folks, no, no, no, the greatest white man, Donald Trump marginalized this white man, that got white men, that got building, that's a child. They cowarded him. I've never seen anything like it. Like nobody knows how to deal with Donald Trump. Like we keep saying he's the threat of democracy. The deal j didn't treat him like a thread of democracy. The media don't treat them like a thread of democracy. And voters, damn sure, I ain't treating them like a threat of democracy.
Speaker 3: I've how many how many white men have had that like like like I've never done That's the only one I've ever seen it like this, no, no, no, no, we're saying that.
Speaker 17: But historically in this country, we've protected all kinds of white men doing all kinds of stuff. Epstein, all of them been. That's that was bit like like like we gotta be Kennedy. We can go on and on and on in terms of how America protects white men. In our lifetime, we've seen a different kind of reality, so we had a different expectation.
Speaker 3: But the structural racism that led you.
Speaker 17: Let me say this, if you protect and support a whole group of people being enslaves, like like what else were supposed to be shocked at what you do protecting a Trump. Hell, they have protected a.
Speaker 5: Whole lot of Trumps, but I've also seen I've also seen them big A lot of those white men deal with the consequence of their actions. I ain't seen him having to deal with consequence of nothing yet.
Speaker 3: That's why he.
Speaker 1: Literally is scheduled to be sentenced a couple of weeks from now. Let's not y'all, he still would have to be sworn it.
Speaker 7: None of that happen, and if he won this race, I think that.
Speaker 17: Happened before it was even No think it's a danger to make it seem like he's bigger than like because he's not. The truth of the matter is white people in this country have not felt the threat of losing their position in power.
Speaker 7: They're not protecting it.
Speaker 17: Yeah, they're not just protecting Trump because something Trump superman.
Speaker 3: They're protecting what he represents.
Speaker 7: They're protecting themselves.
Speaker 3: They're protecting themselves.
Speaker 17: And so ultimately, if we don't recognize that, and they've always done that, I can go historically or all of the black folks who have been killed and lynched and hung and nothing happened to them. So we talked about what he did. I'm talking about who actually killed our people and nothing happened to them. That came after us and nothing happened to them. So that's not something new.
Speaker 3: They ain't not new in America.
Speaker 17: Like, what we're seeing is a little different level of sophistication around it, and we've not seen someone and and we've not seen a level of protecting a candidate in our lifetime.
Speaker 3: But part of it is because it's not about the candidate.
Speaker 17: It's about what he represents, and he represents their position in a way that they're no longer going to be the majority of this country.
Speaker 3: That's a different ball game.
Speaker 5: Well, I maintained that we knew this election was going to be tight, and we know black people show up late for everything, so.
Speaker 3: Arizona to these show up late because man.
Speaker 8: Better late than But there's repeating this election is lost or winds should not fall on the backs.
Speaker 7: Of black folks, because what it would tell me at the.
Speaker 8: End of the day, if we have to go through these numbers, we're going to see that we had a lot of disappointment from white women if it didn't go the way that we think. Everybody's like, we're gonna break this fifty five percent. We got break fifty two percent support from white says, we don't.
Speaker 7: Know it for a back.
Speaker 3: When I tell you, I'm not talking to these hoes, I mean it.
Speaker 7: I come to them.
Speaker 1: Whoever voted for Trump, Oh, these white women voting for Trump, voting against their interests.
Speaker 3: Tell everybody, you're not gonna tell us what we're gonna do with our own bodies.
Speaker 10: The hell you know.
Speaker 1: They literally have voted to uphold an abortion band or to vote against an to vote against. Well, it's in North Carolina, the abortion band. They voted against it, the ballot initiative, but it's neck and neck with it was neck and neck with Kamala. They voted for josh Stein, but it's it was neck connected with Kamala.
Speaker 3: I don't get it. Let me say this white privilege is like some high end cocaine. We don't know, No, seriously, like we are not.
Speaker 5: We are in.
Speaker 17: Denial of how white privilege they've never been in a space in this nation that literally they have like their protection of every area of society particularly and in terms to the highest offices they've been protected on that we are we are really underestimated, right, how.
Speaker 3: Fearful they are of just sharing power. We're not even talking about just sharing power.
Speaker 17: So ultimately, what they're saying, what what we're seeing in this moment is that we don't care about any.
Speaker 3: It is out and we will give it all. We were burning all down in order to protect our privilege.
Speaker 5: So the white people, like the Merritgarlands of the world, didn't you a position, never have been there. Well, so whose fault is that the person who put him there, which is Biden Yeah, So why are those I thought those supposed to be the good white folks that's supposed to protect democracy.
Speaker 3: Well, here's what they miss calculated.
Speaker 7: And uphold democracy.
Speaker 1: They miscalculated the fact that this they picked him to be a safe Supreme Court justice, that they would be able to get passed.
Speaker 3: With profess Yes, once Barack Obama nominated him.
Speaker 1: And I think that there was some nostalgia or something where they thought, oh, we're gonna put this safe person here is to make them feel like we're reaching out and extending an olive bridge. Well, extending an olive bridge meant that you took put someone as the head of the Department of Justice in the Jay Agar Hoover building that continued the legacy of Jay Eggar Hoover.
Speaker 5: Another thing I learned, though, because you asked that earlier, Andrew, about what did we learn over the last year. I learned that a lot of people don't even know if Donald Trump does things wrong because he doesn't get treated like he's doing anything right.
Speaker 6: Right, I think that's what Tassa's point. So, Charlottmane, all the things you said, they were colossal failures. With the colossal failure by the media to not treat him that way. It was a colossal failure by people to not be on the front lines of misinformation and disinformation when technology was moving faster than or technology, Yeah, was moving faster than policy. It was a colossal failure of I say, voters for not being more intellectually curious about what's happening. I don't think that elevates Donald Trump. I think it just reflects where we are in society, which is heartbreaking.
Speaker 3: But I'm still not I still feel optimistic. We don't know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we know the big states that we're waiting for have not yet been called. And Andrew raised something good. I think we were all talking so we didn't hear it. But when you were talking about losing Arizona, Andrew said that he lost, and I put lost in quotes, but lost Florida by three point point three point three point three.
Speaker 8: So lections can come down then close and still not go your way. Every boat matters, it counts. But Latasha, you bought home. I think where we started this show about was really this conversation of white privilege and power and what it will do, how it acts instinctually to protect itself.
Speaker 7: It's like a knee jerk. That's like someone hits your knee and you kick hard.
Speaker 3: It's been a place for centuries, y'all muscle memories.
Speaker 7: They don't have to rehearse it, practice for it.
Speaker 8: It's instinctual that you respond a certain way when your body is attacked. Your body does the same thing. It races to wherever the intrusion is to kill whatever is coming for you. I act the same way about power. It has about to be taken from you. You do whatever it takes to keep it.
Speaker 3: Latasha, we were on the phone.
Speaker 6: We're on the phone chatting, and we were talking about how it feels different to you, and I would saying, but this isn't different.
Speaker 3: And I was I called Angela or she called Well. Somehow.
Speaker 1: We were on the phone with each other and I was telling her that you were saying it feels different. I'm like, it just doesn't. This is the same thing that we've always known. And Angela was like, no, it feels different to me too. At the time, you said I need to sit with it right to figure out.
Speaker 6: I just wonder if you've sat with it, and if you have anything that you want to share tonight about why it feels different. This time, and I would put that same question to you, Angela, like, why does it feel different this time when we really have, in my opinion, we really haven't seen anything new.
Speaker 3: Oh, I do think we've seen something new, and I do think that as different.
Speaker 17: Let me be clear, what white behavior does not determine or does not define everybody else's behavior necessarily, And I'm.
Speaker 3: Saying that that there is, Yes, there is a core group of folks in this country clearly.
Speaker 17: That align themselves with racist, misogynists, sexist ideas.
Speaker 3: That's clear, right.
Speaker 17: But what I have seen that has been distinctively different, and then I'll talk about the energy of what I'm feeling as well. Distinctively different is even we saw it different even from the Obama campaign. In the Obama campaign, it was this charismatic, brilliant brother that everybody kind of call less and surrounded around, and we're excited that he was gonna win. What we saw different with a Complice campaign, It's been that people have literally you saw folks really owing their own identity.
Speaker 3: That was very different. It wasn't just centered around her.
Speaker 17: You saw the cat ladies, the childish cat ladies, and the and the the white dudes and there is a coalition. Let me tell you, whether it's this election or not, there is there is a coalition of people that are building in this country. Literally that the majority is us. Now, whether that's reflected in the in the box is a different thing. But that's why you got voter suppression, that's why you got misinformation and disinformation. If you're just fair game, there's a majority of them, you ain't got to do all that.
Speaker 3: So let's be clear.
Speaker 5: Does this scal you Latasha that we may not know what that electoria might look like like, Like the Republican electoria might look totally different than in the Democrat electoria might look totally different than what we're used to. What do you mean, like in the future, like you see Republicans now they bringing in more black people.
Speaker 17: They're bringing in I'm gonna have to see these because let me say this, I'm not sure if that's the case that night.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, not even tonight. It's not convincing me of that.
Speaker 17: Let me say this, because I think that there is anytime you bring more people into any process, the vote spread is going to be greater. That's just math. White folks, women, black folks. Anytime you're gonna have a diversity of a voter spread. That's just as more people get involved in the process, there's a larger spread.
Speaker 3: And so I'm not convinced.
Speaker 17: The other thing is and we don't want to talk about this because we don't really want to talk about how capitalism works either. And so in capitalism, we have turned America to a big old commercial. It's a big ass commercial that ultimately everything is about marketing. Everything is about marketing. People are even literally making careers based on just marketing. And so at the end of the day, what we're seeing is people I can talk to somebody for five minutes and I can tell you if they read or what network they listen to. It's almost we have dumbed the dumbing down of this nation where people are really not even critical thinkings about things that they're literally attaching to particular kind of positions because it make them seem cool.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know if y'all saw the thing.
Speaker 17: Y'all probably even talked about Walker Floka, this brother out here, he endorses somebody he ain't not go you never voted, and so but I understand because at the end of the day, who's who is it?
Speaker 7: Who is it?
Speaker 3: Come on?
Speaker 1: And I was going to tell y'all we're having such a profound discussion. But I was going to tell you that we were literally, uh sitting here. And while we were sitting here, Virginia Washington took Yes, Virginia organ event called since we've been sitting here. But it was such a profound discussion. I did not yet mean, let's say, hi, it's.
Speaker 7: Okay the same.
Speaker 3: Andrew said, damn it, I know I'm saying. You told them. I'm yeah, I'm agreeing with you.
Speaker 7: So we're still on track still, Yeah, okay, just making sure.
Speaker 3: And he was like, I just let me look at this map.
Speaker 7: Just take a show.
Speaker 6: When you hear Latasha say why it feels different to her, does that resonate with you? Is that the same feeling that you have?
Speaker 3: And what resonates with me.
Speaker 5: Is comes.
Speaker 3: Because you know I've found about the walking this elect I really do.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like if I gonna hand not lose hope because you guys don't want to see me there, I'm to I am, I am refusing to succumb that I am.
Speaker 3: I'm not tripping no more.
Speaker 5: Yeahnology listened, whatever, God God playing gonna happen.
Speaker 9: I don't ride ride with the VP. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Want music, yes, But Natasha, I want you to you got you, you are connected to the most time. I want you to close this out with something good because we know you got to go find some votes. You're not gonna find a vote.
Speaker 5: Every black GROUNDBA in America got God line backed.
Speaker 3: Up about that. Before you go there.
Speaker 10: I do have one question, right, you look at everything online, you look at banking online, we do everything online.
Speaker 3: Will ever get to a point where we can vote online?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 10: Because today I voted today right. They didn't even look at my ID.
Speaker 3: I came up my little.
Speaker 10: Pamphlet that they mailed to me, They scanned it, and I voted right. So it could have been you, It could have been somebody else who knows who Sean is. But will it ever get to a point where we're gonna be voting online?
Speaker 3: It will if we make it be.
Speaker 17: So the truth of the matter is, while we voting, like like standing in line, I can move a million dollars on my cell phone.
Speaker 3: Why can't vote?
Speaker 17: There are people actually that are voting online that are abroad, And so we've got to recognize that there are barriers.
Speaker 3: There are intentional barriers.
Speaker 17: So people don't participate in this process because the truth of the matter is all of America's not participating in the process.
Speaker 3: What I do know for sure is that there are.
Speaker 17: More Americans in my that I believe that I run into that really believe we like we believe like ultimately that is the truth. And so part of what we gotta do is we've got to organize. We've got to get people to really be even the media, the way that the media has given him a pass, that they have created a false equivalency. It's like the way that they've had a double standard for her versus them, Like all of that has fed into that they are to be held accountable ASTs too. So at the end, we've got to do the work if we want the kind of America that we desire, Oh, we want the count of nation. I always ask people wherever I go, I usually ask people to close your eyes and I'll just and I'll ask them what your eyes closed?
Speaker 3: What would this nation look like? What would America look like without racism?
Speaker 17: And most of the time, no matter where I go, ninety nine to one hundred percent, ninety nine percent of the people in the room. I don't care if I'm at a big college. I don't care if I got ten thousand the orders. I don't care if I.
Speaker 3: Got five hundred.
Speaker 17: Majority of us have never asked ourself this question. Let me take racism, ain't my damn inheritance. That is not my I was not given that. That's not who That's not what I'm gonna take on like that's what I was supposed to do for the rest of my life. That But but we if we're not asking that question, and we're not imagining and thinking about what is gonna exist beyond that.
Speaker 3: Right, because there was a sister all we can all bent out of shape because of the map and all this other stuff.
Speaker 17: Right, there was a sister named Harriet Tupman that came to the South nineteen times with a fifty thousand dollars bounty on her head. She believed when nobody else around her believe I wanted them, I'm gonna believe until they call it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm gonna believe it. We and not just that call it even when they call it. We've got to recognize we've got more work to do that Ultimately, we've got more work to do that racism has shown itself. It is alive and well in this station. Trump is a prime example of why we do need d I.
Speaker 17: He's a prime example of why we need Affirmtive action, is the evidence of why we need those things. And so instead of backing away from them, we should even push harder on them.
Speaker 1: So that's what that's where we are in this moment, and right now, do you all just so that we can uh capture this moment right now? Forty nine Senate seats have been called for Republicans, forty one for Democrats, one hundred and forty two Democratic seats have been called, and one hundred and seventy three for Republican. Whoever is the quickest to two eighteen or if he gets to two eighteen, has the majority in the House, and whoever gets to fifty, of course in the Senate, depending on who is elected president. Of course, if there's a if it's a type, it's fifty to fifty the type, the type reckon vote, we'll go to the president.
Speaker 3: Broughton was the Vice President of the United States. LB.
Speaker 17: We love you, I love y'all today, y'all keep the faith. Listen them sisters out there them brothers out there. Come on, let's take it to the flow.
Speaker 3: Go to the closet. Go to the closet. Y'all will pull this through.
Speaker 9: I was going to get the guns.
Speaker 5: None of us were.
Speaker 3: We n coon violence on this.
Speaker 5: Field.
Speaker 7: We're going to the closet.
Speaker 3: Brother what else I don't know, But what we do know is the city are nip and tuck. As my dad would say, there's something happening. It looks like something that happened. Tasha. I just you are my Maya Angelou.
Speaker 6: I mean, you are just one of the most profound people, and I'm so blessed to know you, and I love every time you come on here and other people get to experience you, because she's an experience like I can't I try to say what you said, but the way that you say it is just so compelling, and I love that all these people feel your energy, Like I feel more joyful having heard what you have to say.
Speaker 3: And I really think it's a divine covering. That's what you're on this earth to do. So thank you. Yeah, you don't give it. I can't leave yet, Okay, what we gotta do.
Speaker 8: I just in tribute as well to you and why our community needs more like you in the existing families and college campuses and the neighborhoods everywhere, and certainly in bands, the people who keep the tempo r they you know, you got the beat going in. But but everybody, regardless of what instrument comes in, what comes out.
Speaker 7: You're one of the people that keeps us.
Speaker 8: Left foot, right foot, left foot and right foot. And I think we need that so bad. We do uh as a community, we do. It doesn't exist in the culture personality.
Speaker 7: It's now spirit.
Speaker 8: Spirit enters us at different times, and you know, I'm just glad that the stays rest.
Speaker 3: Why we gotta believe y'all we were built for this.
Speaker 17: We do hard things, yeah, hard things, so I you know, and you can't control what other people do. All we gotta do is make ourselves be a light and do our part, so you know, we in.
Speaker 5: These in the experience, Democrats are now favored to flip control of the House.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I always thought we were going. The Democrats are gonna get the health Yeah, there are too many races are not called yet.
Speaker 1: But I am also gonna shout out my state again because Washington State has a blue governor and Bob Ferguson and Dave Riker left. He's he was saying he was gonna flip in the support abortion. He was in Congress, as you all know before.
Speaker 3: He did not win. So that's a little victory. And then Minnesota is too close to call, which I really am like that where the alls is from. Yeah, it's too close. Gonna him now, list I'm gonna need him to deliver Minnesota. I'm gonna get him to at least delivered. But Epis, I need you come through.
Speaker 7: But I think he's will it. Will I know, I actually believe that.
Speaker 3: I believe that.
Speaker 8: I just.
Speaker 3: Don't believe that. I believe that we're gonna win. You know I didn't. I told you she said, I like him.
Speaker 5: If you don't like him, give him.
Speaker 7: The good news is it won't matter.
Speaker 3: Ilcome to.
Speaker 8: You.
Speaker 3: Guys. Andrew fiery. They Andrew is an asshole and everything all the time. So talking about brother, I love.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, but I.
Speaker 3: I love it too. But I want to get this. I want to hear this. Why what? What's what's this thing about?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 7: What? Why? Preferred Josh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I feel like he had a lot of energy when he started but it just it just wasn't sustainable. I never really bought into the whole weird phrasing to guy like that, but I knew it was gonna turn people off because you can't label people weird.
Speaker 3: Like that's like they shouldn't be weird. I mean, here's the thing. It wouldn't right. It would have stuck if they would have stuck his ass back on cable news where we saw him. They should have kept him there right in there.
Speaker 5: And there's a thing about and I just think there's a thing about watching old white men.
Speaker 3: I think I actually think he was good.
Speaker 5: And Donald Trump the old saying he got he got bodied by J. D.
Speaker 9: Vans in the debate, which he was.
Speaker 3: He was nervous. I don't think he got bold.
Speaker 6: I don't debate, but I wouldn't say he got He started off nervous and reason and.
Speaker 5: The reason he got bodies. The reason he got bodies because Katy Fans literally was out there every Sunday morning on those cables taking those hards, getting beat up.
Speaker 3: But they put him. They've tried to him good. I thought he was a good candidate. I really did. I'm not it's not over yet, but I do you better pulled Minnesota? He let her damn the sorry, but we weren't nervous about it. And he wasn't for me.
Speaker 5: He wasn't for us.
Speaker 3: He was for those I like him and his way.
Speaker 4: I just yeah, I don't know it was it was for white comfort. Yes, no, no, no no, no, he's a literally he did something.
Speaker 7: You let me tell you. They could look up, however, and see a white man.
Speaker 3: Can I just all the time, we have Lauren, who is I think at the other camera on the riser. Are we calling her up?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 1: Y'all told me five minutes? Okay, it looks she looks down, so I think that's okay. There's only five yes up.
Speaker 3: In the show. Are we calling Lauren in or we're not? They are calling her in?
Speaker 6: You know, she's been holding up that sign Lauren five minutes and lo Low's name is Lauren.
Speaker 1: So I'm trying to figure out why. She tells me was like, she's coming on, come on, we need to know what's happening, so somebody can.
Speaker 5: Tell I can tell you what's happening in that crowd clearing up that crowd trying to be traffic.
Speaker 3: Not clearing everybody on the people like y'all know, people.
Speaker 9: In my hairline don't.
Speaker 3: Need That's what we're doing.
Speaker 7: We are.
Speaker 5: To Lauren, you said, I still believe.
Speaker 3: I believe.
Speaker 5: Still, I believe, I believe we're all.
Speaker 3: Yeah that She was like Lauren five minutes I'm like, yes, Lauren, I see you. Listen it says eleven fifty five.
Speaker 5: I believe y'all Still what would make you be like, all right, now, we got to start dealing with reality.
Speaker 7: What we don't not real in reality now yet?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, we deal with reality now.
Speaker 7: But with and what you said about Pennsylvania.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 8: We gotta win it, There's no doubt about it. We can't win this without Michigan and Pennsylvania. It has to be a Michigan. Yeah, it has to be in the column. We we walk away with those three. I'm good tonight with.
Speaker 9: Shapiro on the ticket that delivered our Pennsylvania.
Speaker 7: I don't know about that because he comes with other a minute.
Speaker 17: If he don't deliver it any one on the ticket, that says something about him too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's the governor, so let me be real clear.
Speaker 3: He gotta come through that. I think that's fair. I think that's fair.
Speaker 16: So you all Democrats, everybody, Yes, absolutely, in the blue walls.
Speaker 17: Absolutely, if you are a governor of that state delivered. Yeah, absolutely, But I also think the really.
Speaker 7: Don't matter.
Speaker 8: We are not walking in the ballot box and saying well, I don't agree with that. Really is the only time I've ever seen the Mary was Sarah Sarah Palin.
Speaker 3: No, it mattered for me. With Joe Biden and Kamala Hare.
Speaker 7: Voted.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't have voted for Trump. You would not have, right, but it still matters.
Speaker 8: It would you would not have changed your vote based off who the vice president is.
Speaker 7: And my point is this, no one does.
Speaker 3: I don't want to say I want to correct.
Speaker 6: And there is some disinformation floating with people are assesting that DJ Envy is high a f because he is bopping his hand.
Speaker 3: It's the music that isn't playing. I want you to know, y'all stand the bathroom. I was, Yeah, that's why you can't hear.
Speaker 7: And can be healthy.
Speaker 3: That fair Red comes real quick before we leave. He's come here. But then at least that way we have the other hands. But this is love, y'all. Yeah, but only how far because.
Speaker 9: Okay, but we may I was just told I was the vice president is about to.
Speaker 3: Come out very before that happens. We're mayor, read on, don't the president of the African American Mayor's Association just here really quick to say hi to us before we go to Lauren.
Speaker 7: Uh, I'm not going to direct.
Speaker 3: I don't think we're gonna get the more.
Speaker 7: Sorry, Lauren, We're just that high, said Lauren of the coal over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think she wanted to to.
Speaker 7: Oh your for your mic up.
Speaker 9: Always good to be with y'all.
Speaker 7: It's good to have you.
Speaker 3: How you feeling.
Speaker 9: I feel good. I feel good. I expeaked it a longe night. That's what we got right.
Speaker 3: Alabama didn't come through provice. Just tell us it was on all of us. What happened to Alabama?
Speaker 9: Wait a minute, Alabama, before we got up this window that.
Speaker 7: Way for about the last tree to.
Speaker 6: Honestly, what would it take Because everybody always says, I say this all the time. Everybody always says the South is red, and I always counter the South is red until it ain't. And we have seen Georgia's turn into a purple state. What would it take in Alabama?
Speaker 13: You have to have more people move into the state, both black, white, and brown coming in through the state.
Speaker 6: That kind of change the narrative reverse migrationeering again, Yeah, you.
Speaker 9: Have to have that. That comes from job growth, that comes from people relocating. That helps.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you had and now you can't have Florida, you know, I mean, Florida has gone now red in a way we wouldn't have expected in a different kind of way.
Speaker 9: So you don't want that. And now we look at Ohio places that well.
Speaker 7: It's the capital of white supremacy increasingly, so.
Speaker 8: Our migration has been of folks leaving Ohio who may have been law enforcement officers. To go back to one of y'all shows that y'all did with Byron where he said, we see all the law enforcement coming to Florida because they see an embracing No, they saw immunity from prosecution for anything that they do in the pursuit.
Speaker 7: Of their job, and now they're protected.
Speaker 1: So really quick where our show is actually technically off air, going off air, but we started a few minutes late, and we have breakfast club host Lauren l Rossa who is ready to go live from the Riser, so we're going to her now all right.
Speaker 3: We're cutting to Lauren. Now can we hear her? We should be able to.
Speaker 7: Hear her, Lauren, Lauren, where you're at, Lauren?
Speaker 3: Can you hear us?
Speaker 5: Lauren?
Speaker 8: There?
Speaker 3: I can hear them by building over there, Lauren. Wait, can you guys hear me?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can hear it. Okay, let me tell you. Okay.
Speaker 1: So, first of all, I heard Charlamagne say that the crowd was clearing out that it's not true except.
Speaker 3: They're literally stuck like Blue.
Speaker 1: The way that we were up there, where we were like kind of sitting on the edge of our seats, like, oh my god, was about topping? Was about that, And that's what's happening down here. When you hear them yell, it's any wind in Blue, especially Kama. Of course, when they get quiet, it's not good news. But no one's going anywhere. I think one thing that is worth pointing out to is even when they bring seeing Inn on the screen, everyone's watching the smaller, lower screens. In any small wins, like when she won Washington that wasn't on the big screen, it was on a lower third, and people started yelling. I'm like, why is that very so excited? The lower third, like they're literally glued to their I would say their seats, but they're standing up, and I think that Kamala maybe like I'm starting to see people near her stage.
Speaker 3: I don't. Oh yeah, that's right, she's coming here.
Speaker 1: So it's really close down here, y'all. It's the same way that we were up there, but it's like a.
Speaker 3: Group think down here.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we love it.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you Lauren for being there for us, and y'all, I thank you. I think you know that we are officially done with our coverage. Oh yeah, that's true.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you guys so much.
Speaker 10: We'll be We gott to do the Breakfast Club in the morning, so we gotta we leave in here taking a nap and then we're going straight to the station to finish this off. So from DC good. So thank you guys for having me so much. We've been up since four eight. I can all thanks for the really appreciated Angelabi called me. I wasn't gonna come out like I broadcast the city and she said you better bring your act down.
Speaker 3: Down She's like, what you need tell the truth? The truth is.
Speaker 1: He actually talked to their team last week and said that this is something that they absolutely shouldn't shouldn't miss. So thank you so much for the way that you guys have engaged in political discourse, opening up this space for so many folks who respond to black and brown folks, and it's just a joy.
Speaker 10: So thank y'all for thank you so much, such amazing. This was like a homecoming a big It was great to see. The music was great, and just talking politics was was wonderful. Like I said, we've been up since four oclock, so I am. There's no drinks there, so we just had some water. So I'm about to go to sleep taking that. But thank you guys for half me.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, here's Leonard. Leonard.
Speaker 7: We're wrapping up, buddy.
Speaker 3: The word everybody you left when we were.
Speaker 5: Party Pound parting. Words of God is the best author and finisher, So your niggas don't lose. Lose, all right, Keep.
Speaker 3: That's the new reprojects, Keep regends.
Speaker 7: Oh say goodbye to the people. Before we signed off, carriage.
Speaker 13: Man, listen, I'll just say this, thanks for all the work y'all have been doing this entire season. Appreciate what you guys doing the Breakfast Club, big fan, and for everybody, it's gonna be a long night.
Speaker 7: It's gonna be the next couple of days.
Speaker 3: Days.
Speaker 9: It's not over that that's my clothing. Tomorrow mayor is not over.
Speaker 7: It's not over.
Speaker 9: Don't know.
Speaker 3: You did not say Native Lampid. You said just said the breakfast Club. It's breakfast Club and Native Lampid. We will run the tate back to take back on me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, but not tonight.
Speaker 8: I thought we're getting ready to receive I think uh yet possibly President.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna stay all right, Katie. There are zero days until election day here.
Speaker 1: Yeah he actually technically today after election day on the East coast, but on the West coast, some uh states are still being called. We're mostly waiting on the battle. So y'all stay tuned and will be LAXU. Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 3: I'm home, y'all. Thanks for rollan Club. Shout out to our whole production team. Shout up guys, part Hellen.
Speaker 5: Oh this season yet, shout out one time.
Speaker 3: Harder Dylan, everybody knights.
Speaker 1: So much, Lolo, all the drugs from PDPs, Yes, God bless you, your family out, thank.
Speaker 9: You for joining the Natives.
Speaker 11: Attention of what the info and all of the latest rock gulum and cross connected to the statements that you.
Speaker 7: Leave on our socials.
Speaker 11: Thank you, sincerely for the patients reason for your choice is cleared.
Speaker 5: So grateful it took the OA to execute roads.
Speaker 11: Thank you for serve, defend and protect the truth, even if paint go walcome home.
Speaker 5: To all of the natives, We thank you.
Speaker 3: Welcome y'all, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. From more podcast from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.