Speaker 1: Hi, everyone, Welcome. The Mother knows that we have some breaking news for you today.
Speaker 2: We finally have a verdict and Karen Read's second trial, and she is not guilty on second degree murder manslaughter while upbraiding a vehicle under the influence and leaving the scene.
Speaker 1: All right, So what do you think about this? I'm definitely not surprised.
Speaker 2: I'm not surprised either, because they didn't have any good evidence that proved that she did it. I mean, this whole entire investigation was botched, and I think there was definitely enough reasonable doubt that they couldn't confidently convict her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I mean, we really looked into this case a couple of months ago, and I never thought that they were going to be able to convict her. And it's not I want to state that I'm not one of these progue like what do they call it? Free Karen Read people. I don't necessarily know if she was involved or not, but all I'm saying is that they whatever they were presenting surely was not convincing me for sure. And also that, like Maria was saying, the investigation was just so botched that there's no way that they were going to be able to convict her on what they had because of all the mistakes they made initially in the investigation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think they just kind of had this witch hunt after her. And I had said when we were on Cheryl's podcast a couple months ago that this wasn't really going to give you justice to the O'Keefe family for what happened to John. So I think they were just so focused on going after her instead of actually trying to figure out what happened. And it's still at the end of the day. I mean, she's not guilty, but we still don't know what happened that day, and that's problematic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now I'm curious how it's gonna go because if you're saying that she's not guilty, then in theory, you're saying that someone else did this because you have an open case now, right, or I mean, how's that work? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting because because she was found not guilty, but it doesn't necessarily mean she didn't do it. It just means that the trial didn't prove that she did it beyond reasonable doubt. So I find that really interesting. But yeah, in theory, if she didn't do it, and a lot of people really do think she didn't do it. There is somebody that did, so like, is this going to just like for everyone.
Speaker 1: Might be like, you know that, you know that sign at that lawyer's office that's near our house that says just because you did it doesn't mean you're guilty. It's so sick, it's so slimy. But maybe I you know. So, we are going to have a special episode about this next week, and for those of you who aren't familiar with this case, or if you are familiar, you're gonna want to listen because we really went through this case, like I said, a couple of months ago, with a fine tooth comb, and I will give you my reasoning for why I think that she honestly like it. I don't really even think that she was involved in it after her part of dropping him off. So I will go through all of that, as far as what I think from a scientific forensic pathology perspective of his time and death and everything like that. So we'll go through that, and Maria will go through all of the details of the case, and obviously we'll fill you what's been going on in court as well. Over the past couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I want there was some weirdness today where after twenty hours of deliberation, the jury had knocked on the door and said they had a verdict, and then a couple minutes later said they didn't, which everybody found incredibly unusual. And then they have put that original verdict slip in a sealed envelope, So I guess we're just hoping they read the correct one when it came time. But not even twenty minutes later they called everybody back and then they had the real verdict that.
Speaker 1: It was such a weird filming too. They just had this ceiling fan showing on the use for such a long time. It was just really bizarre. And that judge is just like, she's so salty. She was so salty. What did she say at the end, Like, oh, so she's just going to get a conviction of what any other person would get as a first time offense.
Speaker 2: No, so what's important in this case is we talked about like even though she it doesn't really seem like she had murdered John o'keefer accidentally hit him with the car. She was found guilty of operating under the influence, which was important because she was apparently drunk driving and somebody should be held responsible for that. So then when they got to the sentencing phase and the judge was all salty, and she's like, so are we gonna do it next week or what? Then the prosecution had said they recommended one year of probation because apparently that's the standard for the offense. And that's when she was like, Okay, so she's just getting what everybody else gets on their first time offense.
Speaker 1: What should she get a special a special sentence just because I mean, right, I mean yeah this, I mean, like, listen that late. Like I said in the beginning, I think that there's lots of people that just don't like Karen Reid. They think that she's smugged, they think that she's a terrible girlfriend. She was the text messages were terrible to the guy. I mean, right, I understand she's not a lovable character, but I'm sorry, you just cannot avoid this shit show that went on when this guy died and the investigation that followed up with it. Like, she could be pissed off all she wants, but she really should be pissed off at those people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this whole this case is sensationalized for a reason. I mean you have watched investigation. It involves the police department, You have all these cover ups going on. Then you have a mistrial. Now this is her second trial. It's like wasting all these people time in court, and then this judge is salty the whole time. And then there's the weirdness with the jury having the verdict and then not having the verdict.
Speaker 1: We need to get a jury man on here. I know, a GIRA that would be awesome. We actually need to get Karen Reid on here. But that we'll get in a line of six hundred people that are waiting to talk to her. But yeah, they would be really cool if we could talk to someone that was that was intro or it really involved in the case, because I would like to know what their opinions were. But obviously they all came to a decision that this is like even if she did hit him with the car, would it doesn't seem like it ever was intentional or were they trying to play it off like she did it on purpose.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why there was the option for second degree murder, which would have meant she did it intentionally or manslaughter, which is she did it accidentally because she was drunk, And clearly they didn't think there was enough evidence to prove that she did any of those, so at least she is.
Speaker 1: Why did they ever even think that they were going to get her on on doing it intentionally like it because she was fighting with him.
Speaker 2: I mean, the thing is is I'd argue that, Yeah, they're trying to say she did it intentionally because she left him all those aggravating and angry like voicemails and all those text messages.
Speaker 1: Listen, like I I don't fight with my husband like that even a little bit, but like my ex, oh my god, like we used to get into it, Like don't you think like that? I and trust me like one of my really good friends, she's she used to get in the craziest fights with with her boyfriend too, like outrageous. So that happens in relationships, Like it's not good. But people are in relationships like that and they don't ever turn violent and people don't kill each other.
Speaker 2: Well, don't you think if she did kill him intentionally and was aware of it instead of leaving him all those voicemails calling him a perver and like a motherfucker and whatever that. Don't you think she'd be like, hey, sweetie, just wondering where you're at, not like you, asshole, where are you? That's what you do when you're legitimately mad and somebody's not answer in the phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she could have just I mean, I guess in theory she could have did that to cover up the murder. But like, I just never got that vibe ever, ever, ever, And when I really went through his autopsy and the autopsy findings, I just was like, this is such a stretch which they're trying to prove it and it proves absolutely nothing to me. And I was happy to see that one of the medical examiners that testified finally said what I was talking about, because I hadn't even really heard anybody bring it up. And I think that it was really important when it has to do with the amount of time that that guy could have possibly been laying there, and the timing was everything with that, because there was proof of where she was because of her GPS and their phone records and things like that. So I'm excited to talk to you about this next week so we could really get into it and everybody could hear, you know, the full details of the case. So the whole episode will be dedicated to this case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I am just so interested that it came back as not guilty. I for sure thought it was gonna be another hung jury. And then like, where do you go from there? Are they seriously gonna waste money and try her third time? I mean, having her own trial, even one time for second degree murder was so far fetched and ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I mean. And the sad part of this whole case though, is that again it's it's the same exact thing with Lacy Peterson and all these people. It's like all of the attention is getting put on the wrong place, which is that this victim is he's still dead. He has he has a family, he has doesn't he have the little that he was.
Speaker 2: The caretaker for his siblings children that died.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean, and these poor kids lost their parents and now they lost their uncle, their uncle, and I feel bad for his family, and now they go home and what did they do. I mean, listen when they're watching this whole trial, I'm sure they hated her. Because usually when your family member has a girlfriend or a boyfriend or a husband or wife, whatever. That's not treating your family member well. You usually don't like them anyway. So they might not even have liked her from the beginning when he was alive, if they knew anything about their tumultuous relationship. But they have to feel a certain kind of way when they hear all of all of the evidence that comes out showing how shady shit went down that day. I mean, they can't even if they think she was involved in stuff. That has to make them lose some faith in the system. And some of these people involved with this were his friends.
Speaker 2: Well, what now are they going to investigate the other people involved with this now?
Speaker 1: I don't I thought that they already cleared that, didn't they They brought that up at some point and then they were like, no, there was they evolved them. I don't know, Like I.
Speaker 2: Really doubt this case dies here. I mean, this is gonna It's certainly going to be talked about for the next couple of months, and I wouldn't be surprised if they keep looking further into it. I mean, the family deserves to have some answers. They can't just be left in the darkest of what happened.
Speaker 1: I don't I'm not this is the thing, like, I'm not sure they're ever really going to get answers. You know, all you have right now, especially from his body, are photographs. And you heard a couple of medical examiners had testified and said completely different things about what they think that they're looking at. There was one that was saying that those marks on his arm were scratches, and other one that saying that they're deep what could appear to be claw marks. It's such a and that's two totally different wounds that could be caused by two totally different things. And then you had the crash test dummy doing a certain thing, and this and that, and people saying yes, lights could have caused it, No, lights didn't cause it, a dog caused it, all this stuff. So you're never really going to be able to get an answer unless somebody confesses or more evidence comes forward, like a ring, doorbell camera or something that proves more what happened.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, next week we'll be back with you a full length episode about what went down, all the details of this case. We'll go over the autopsy, your theories, what went down, the first trial, now this trial and her conviction, and especially because we'll have a couple of days to sit with some information, we could go over everything in more detail with you guys.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, we'll see you tomorrow for our normal news episode, and then stay tuned next week for the Karen Reid episode. Thank you for listening to Mother nos Death. As a reminder, my training is as a pathologists assistant. I have a master's level education and specialize in anatomy and pathol education. I am not a doctor and I have not diagnosed or treated anyone dead or alive without the assistance of a licensed medical doctor. This show, my website, and social media accounts are designed to educate and inform people based on my experience working in pathology, so they can make healthier decisions regarding their life and well being. Always remember that science is changing every day and the opinions expressed in this episode are based on my knowledge of those subjects at the time of publication. If you are having a medical problem, have a medical question, or having a medical emergency, please contact your physician or visit an urgent care center, emergency room or hospital. Please rate, review, and subscribe to Mother knows Death on Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere you get podcasts. Thanks, say many