Speaker 1: There's a there's something that there are some hook they're so fucking ugly. I'm like, bro, do not come near me wearing those shoes like you're gonna you're gonna hook, You're gonna say the N word. I don't know why they're so dripless that they freak me the fuck out, which is funny because they have ones that are super cool, but there's some that just looks so fucking hokah that they freak me out. It's like wearing like an underarm or camo hoodie near this conversations about to go. I had a one friend who's like, I had to do it, man, It's like my feet, bro, just like you know, my my orthopedis was like I have to wear these shoes and I'm like it's fine, bro, and he's like he's like they just look really bad. I'm like, you look comfortable. Did you get the shitty ones? Was like, okay, you do have to buy these, And unfortunately they have to be the ones that look like shit. That's actually part of it for me. It does it have to have this thin blue line logo like these are custom, dude. I'm telling you these are pret you need these specific ones, dude like Holkas Thin Blue Line collab, Hoka x Thin Blue Line Yo. One one shoe is thin Blue Line, the other ones All lives matter? What is this? Dude? Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three, seventy eight, Episode two of der Nightley's Dice. It's a production ByHeart Radio. It's a podcast where we take a deep dab into American share capchiness. And it's Tuesday, March fourth, twenty five. Yeah, the fourth be with Nope, that's not the one. No, go ahead, let me try the fourth be with you. Yeah, let's try that. It's also National Sun's Day. And then it's also and you'll have to forgive me. There's just a lot of Reich vibes in the air. It's also Fast Knocked Day, and I was like, what the fuck is that? That's actually it's the day before ash Wednesday, not Fast in the Night. So yes, that's what that's what that means. I was like, what the fuck is going on here? It's also Marching Music Day. Shout out marching bands. That's me. It's Fat Tuesday. This would be the day before as Wednesday, National Grammar Day, National hug a g I Day, unless you're the Veterans Affairs Department, in which case you're like, y'all need to get the funk away from our way, and you're making us nervous. Stop. Thank you, thank you for doing violence in service of the empire. Please get away with the pro hugs.
Speaker 2: Like we're going to replace all v A Care.
Speaker 1: With with hugs. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going to cancel the Veterans Suicide Hotline and replace it children with Huh.
Speaker 1: But you guys hug each other. We're not doing the hugging. Yeah, yeah, we're not involved with that, just like can you figure that on your own? Now? So National pound.
Speaker 2: Cake Day, dude, I love pound cake. Yeah sorry, I just want to remind everyone that a cold Sarahly pound cake with strawberries and ice cream or what, it's just a classic. It's yummy.
Speaker 1: Turn it down. My mom, like whenever I had strawberries and stuff, she never did like that thing where I've noticed in the American households or like in a dessert context, you put a little sugar and like like a little syrup like with the strawberries to get them tasting sweeter, like for a little topping. The first time I had that, I thought the person was like drugging because I couldn't believe that the strawberries were like so sweet. And I just remember my immigrant mother being like, I would never put you what he talked about. It's fruit. It doesn't need more sugar.
Speaker 2: But then when you in the middle of you were like, Okay, I'm gonna finish this. But if they're drugging me, it's.
Speaker 1: Fine, Yeah, it's fine whatever. Yeah, yeah, a little sugar on this dessert. Sprinkle a little sugar on this shit. I mean that ship it's dope because strawberries, most of the time, they never taste like what you want them to be, especially as a kid. You're you're you're expecting the most intensely sweet fruit and then it just ends up not being that. With this.
Speaker 2: Nice fresh strawberry, it looks like it's slept over from a child.
Speaker 1: That's one of his canker sores. He just pulled his lip down. How is my little slice strawberry from my olmah shout out to my mother in law. Yeah sweet, super sweet, damn all right, let me come come over. I dipped it in a vanilla frosting, so that's how I get down. Now it's just pure uncut fruit. Damn. Actually did look halved, so you can't say it was halved. Mmm. I'm sorry to our listeners who don't like people chewing on Mike. Yeah, you mentioned you mentioned fruit. I've got it at end. Yes, I am fucking bawling. Anyways, my name is Jack O'Brien aga. Well, it seems to me you missed that drone. Now your sandals in the wind? That one courtesy of Elton John and Blinky Hack on the discord, in reference to the Drake Cliff allegedly fake where so fluid drone to his penthouse, zoomed in on his laptop, He came out, threw his sandal off the roof. I don't be an attempt to take the drone down. I don't. I still can't. My problem is not like, well, it didn't look it looked fake as hell. It looked faked as hell. I don't know what he to what end? Was he faking it? Is my question because he didn't make it. The other thing is I did do this, AKA. So that's two days in a row people have heard that AKA, but I think we will leave its worth it. Heck, great work on double dip the Double Dip Award for Blinky Heck, I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles brad Well. It seems to me that you live your life now, your sandal's in the wind. Let's do it three times blink, God damn, let's go for it. Yeah. That was a terrible, terrible, fake staged thing for Steak. Drake also posted over the weekend just a Steak logo and was basically like, bro, they I need two million dollars to win, and they they'll give it to me if I just post this. It's an ad. I'm desperate, Okay, moving on.
Speaker 2: He's selling Omaha steaks now, yeah he's he is. Yeah, he's coupon's Kirkland brand coupons like Costco coupons to Omaha steak.
Speaker 1: No, not even just yeah. I wish they were useful. It's purely self serving. He's like, folks, I have an online slot machine problem. This is why I'm posting this on Maine. Leave me alone. And by the time it got to me, the screen was blurred out, so it just looked like he was looking at porn. Like they caught him looking at porn. I think someone was just like, we're not letting you do this ad here? Right. I think that was just a smart thing to be.
Speaker 2: Like, nah, no this is Is this an ad for a shirt with a swastik on it?
Speaker 1: Nope?
Speaker 2: No, I no, no, can't.
Speaker 1: On social media, miles were thrilled to be joined once again in our third see by a brilliant comedian, writer, journalist, activists you know from plays like Al Jazeera, MSNBC, The Young Turks and from the podcast The Situation Room. It's Francesca Furantina to say, is it tail right?
Speaker 2: Will watch this with what Jahad Ali Tuesdays and Thursdays on YouTube eight pm Easter and five pm Pacific. Yeah, it's, as we're calling it, America unhinged. We're looking at the first hundred days of Trump's administration. There goes my mental health.
Speaker 1: Wait, what happens on the after one hundred days they cancel the show?
Speaker 2: Well, it's all exactly. It gets canceled because we fixed it and it's all better and our analysis has made everything right.
Speaker 1: I don't know, like a network goes well, you guys said it was about the first hundred days, so we didn't renew it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Look, we'll see if Zeitel wants to keep us on, but either way everyone should check it out so you know we have more reason to stay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's many Hassan's network, right, Yes, it is. Well, speaking of fixed it, I don't know if you saw, but the Democrats have fixed it. We'll be talking about that in a little bit. But they they figured out how to after you know, being the part of the brand behind move on, or they have figured out how to move on. They have a path forward and it is it's it's about what you would expect from them, exactly what you would expect from them if quite literally, yeah, if they were just incapable of learning like any lessons from their own failures, I'm so scared. Well, we'll talk about that. We'll say a fond farewell to Skype, all of that plenty more, But before we get to any of that franchise, but we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are?
Speaker 2: Can you feed a cat dog food?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Why did this happen? Why did I search this? Because my husband at leab like the equivalent of my wife. Well, it's it's it's millennia, saying my husband, my husband, Okay, husband, he bought the the.
Speaker 3: Dog food for the cat, and so I wanted to know, can you feed that the cat's dog food? It turns out you can, but it doesn't have the proper nutrients, so only for a little bit. And that little bit was this morning when she puked.
Speaker 1: Oh really, wait, so because it's so good different, No, the.
Speaker 2: Puking was definitely because she got a good can of food this morning and she liked it, so she scarfed it too fast. But then I immediately was like, okay, it's been five days of us knowing that this is dog food, maybe like a week or fifteen days of it actually being dog food, and so we need to swap this shit out. So yes, but yes, there are some nutrients that cats need. The dogs don't. Dogs I think can eat more veggies. They're like dogs are super down. And in fact, it's good to feed dogs like colorful foods like carrots and sweet potatoes. That stuff is good for them. But cats need just meat they need oh wow, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also I've been looking up cat health insurance and it's also a racket. Everything about vet insurance is a fucking racket. Everything about veterinary care and animal care is a racket. And yeah, you know, but I'm like, I'm like it's awful. I'm like, okay, you know what, go under the house and die, you know what I'm saying, Like, that's just.
Speaker 1: That's how veterinarians feel too. They're like, it's so fun. I can't even give care because the fucking mandate I get from the corporate overlords is to just like be like, dude, just deny anything. Just tell them the pets are gonna die. You can't do anything for him because it's too We're not going to cover that.
Speaker 2: Shiit just no, it is so wild, Like two hundred and sixty dollars for a urine test. Excuse me, how two hundred and sixty dollars to test the urine for you?
Speaker 1: My exactly, sh it tastes off. I'll know right away exactly less than two hundred and sixty bucks.
Speaker 2: No, But seriously, I'm just like, can we I understand obviously, you know, free Luigi, we need universal medicare for all. We need to abolish the private h you know, healthcare system in this country. But also we need medicare for all for cats. So yes, a lot of a lot of feline stuff in my search history.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you, the Democrats are not gonna like that talking point medicare for all four cats, Francisco. We're trying to we're trying to get that big D Democrat podcast or spot and I don't just do you, guys Rogan of the Left, please, we've already applied. They gave us a swift and unambiguous no, you may not. They said Jack wasn'tbelievable, was a tough guy, and I was quote not white. Yeah. I tried to act like I knew what m m A was an episode, Yeah you're talking about. Yeah, it's pretty good for like depression, Like a lot of people are like tinkering with it. It was like an ecstasy. But now like m m A therapy is like really they're like get this all right? Well that's good to know. That's helpful information that we're learning up top. Franchisa, what's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 2: I guess I just love this person and she's my new favorite person. So I'm like, any accolades or any love she's getting is not nearly enough. But Cynthia Arrivo is the best thing ever and I am in love with her, and she's got an amazing voice, and hearing her perform, you know, defying gravity on the Oscar stage and just like crushing every single part of it, and just like her voice and like like that could keep me going. I just need to listen to that every morning, and I feel like I'll be okay. I feel like, all right, maybe I don't need to move to Ireland slash Costa Rica or wherever the hell. You know, Yeah, I might go, like, maybe I'll be fine. We say, we fight, we defy gravity. She's just so talented and yes, yeah, whatever, Okay. I think, you know, Ariana Grech, she was gonna be my overrated but I like, I'm I don't want to make it hateful against her. I just like I want a Harold Cynthia Rivo and she deserves everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Ariana ground. I saw that bride'smaid sketch for the first time on SNL when they're talking about Domingo and yeah, well the original origin they came back. The first one was Ariana Grande and the way she killed those bad notes, I was like, it takes an amazing singer to do bad singing that well.
Speaker 2: She's also very funny, like I think as a comedic actress, she's really good. But Cynthia Rivo's voice, Cynthirivo's acting, Cynthiarivo just like as a person, as a vibe, as a like how how, I don't know. She's just so fly. I love it everything about her.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just remember being so shocked at how talented Cynthia Rivo was because I was like, so again unfamiliar with her game starting out, and then like just adding all these just talents on top of each other. I was like, holy shit, Okay, I see you. Yeah, I think it's little selfish. Actually how much how talented she is, it's too much, not fair.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't even see I didn't see Harriet, So I would like to go back and watch.
Speaker 1: It maybe for her, right, right, leave some for us, leave some clubs for us, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was me enjoying the Oscars thinking that she was incredible.
Speaker 1: Is what's something you think is overrated?
Speaker 2: I think the twenty twenty eight election is overrated, meaning I don't think we're gonna make it that far, and I don't think it's gonna happen. So I think everyone who's putting too much faith in electoralism to get us out of this massive hole is not thinking short term enough.
Speaker 1: But what about the mid terms that are coming up? Get to the mid terms.
Speaker 2: I think the midterms are good. I also think that this is an administration that will openly defy the.
Speaker 1: Will of Congress and define gravity and to fight gravity. That's actually what that sounds about. Yeah, exactly, the vaporization of the twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: I mean, define gravity is about like not actually believing in gravity because it's a social construct and it's made up, and.
Speaker 1: So is electoral politics.
Speaker 2: Yes, just like electoral politics. But I'm like.
Speaker 1: Ideally interesting Rogan episodes about how gravity is a social construct if you just think about it, get high enough, and you're not getting you're not getting the part. I'm just saying, he's really good.
Speaker 2: They already said no, but yeah, so I'm just like, ah, we need to stop like hoping and wishing and thinking about the future. It's it's like, I don't even know if this shit's going to hold till next week or a month from now. I'm looking at like the this year and for sure, the ability to override. You know, they'll they'll try to override whatever Congress wants. I'm excited to get all these Republicans who are being chanted down in town halls out of their seats in the midterms, and so that's really good. I do think the backlash will be swift and strong. But I like, I don't know, folks, twenty twenty eight, it's like who knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like little If you can't.
Speaker 2: Stop him here, what is to like, stop relying on elections. I'm sorry. The reason that we're fucking in this point is because we're like, well, you know what, well, well, when I get it at the ballot box, yeah, well, yeah, he incited an erect insurrection in erection direction.
Speaker 1: He incited as you know, I mean, obviously Chuck Schumer is aroused, but he incited insurrection.
Speaker 2: That's illegal. He shouldn't be able to run for office under our constitution. Brazil just did it with Bolsonario. But you not like to leave it to the ballot, ballot.
Speaker 1: Leave it to the voters. It's so yeah, it's it's it's not useful, it doesn't help anyone. It it also like can it I don't know, like you know a way it allows people to just sort of be like, don't just don't worry about it right now. It's like no, no, no, we need to be engaged right now. Like this isn't that, This isn't a thing you can put off and doesn't mean you have to go full blown panicking in the street. But to act as if there's going to be a tidy solution that you just show up on a Tuesday in November and it goes away. No, And the biggest problems in this country have not gone away because people showed up on a random Tuesday in November. It's just not how that shit works.
Speaker 2: No. And every single time he is allowed to run, which I think he will try to do again, it just further I don't know. I'm just like, how much renormalizing him And people are like, oh, well, he won't be able to run again. Of course he's gonna run again. Of course he's gonna try to run again. Of course he's going to extend. He's not a limits, he's not.
Speaker 1: Allowed too though, So I think we're good. Yeah, oh yeah. So this is a thing that I also believe and have believed like since the like first three days of the administrators. I was like, oh, yeah, this is a rap, But like I am curious, like what does it look like when we don't have the election? Is it like just a sham election where all the rules are being bent and there's absolutely no you know, confidence that the votes are being counted. Maybe like some sort of federal author already comes and intervenes because they've like alleged all this voter fraud or what.
Speaker 2: Then there have to be elections. I mean, I think there have to be some some some mock elections like even you know, Putin's Russia as elections, right exactly. I mean I do think you know, when starlink has full control of like how we count our votes and centralizes that, you know, how do we think it's all going to come down? So yeah, I think there's just going to be like ballot stuffing but via data. I mean, that's my that's my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's not there's too much momentum for people to still think elections are needed, you know, that it can't just be like all right, we're not doing them anymore. And it was like, oh okay, because there's still there's still plenty of like conservatives that like still romanticize the idea of like winning at the ballot box.
Speaker 2: So and I also think that there could I mean, if if you want to stall elections or you want to not have them, you basically have to create some sort of either internal external war, so you spend elections, right, you used to spend elections because of wartime. So hey, if we're fighting the enemy from within, or if there's an actual invasion, or if we reclassify you know, everyone is terrorists, well then we're fighting a war on terror and we can't have an election because we're in the middle of a project that is, you know, fundamental to our national security. So like you can see how you know that is also a path.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they've been doing all the stuff they said they were going to do, all the bad stuff. They've been doing it like harder than anybody expected them to do it already in like the first month, and he did say we're not going to need to have elections or this is going to be the last time we have elections. So I again just feel like we should start taking them at their work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the the crisis like manufactured either by dismantling the entire infrastructure that makes the country safe and operable, safe and like functional or like whether it was he'll be just like a war, whether he's just like I don't know, like this, this would definitely give me more power, and he just seems to be all about accumulating as much power as possible. Yeah, I'm not sure on which one. It's really tired.
Speaker 2: You know, he's just tired lately. Just let elon do it. You know, he's such a little like he's good, he's so slump shouldered, right, you know, I know.
Speaker 1: That cabinet meeting where he was just on pause and he's just like and he's talking and I'll just look off a thousand yard stair off into the abyss because I'm not getting control anymore. But this is the rhythm. I mean, he gets in these adderall rhythms where he's like he'll he'll go away for a couple of days and then come back fucking just raging. We we know, we know how these rhythms work.
Speaker 2: He'd rather be golfing, and he actually, I mean I always think such a lib like yeah, like, oh, they'll talk about the golfing, But the fact that he's been golfing.
Speaker 1: This much is christ so much? They're like, well, he's he's breaking records for just even professional golfers golfing. Remember when him and bid him, We're like, I bet I bet I could beat you, and golf game sucks out of the sand. Cool. Cool, it's a cool system. I bet I bet my blood pumps at a higher pressure through my body than yours. My heart is strong. Let's let's try that. Okay. Yeah, somehow his like high blood pressure is keeping him alive. It's like there's all the all these like fucked up things, right, like mister yeah, yeah, all right, Well, we do have an idea now of what things are going to look like going forward from the Democratic Party. It is, unfortunately exactly what we expected. Uh, we'll take a quick break. We'll come back and talk about this little retreat that some center Dems went on that I feel like reveals the playbook going forward. We'll be right back and we're back. We're back, and so this third way sounds not at all nefarious. Group. That's like, guys, we've tried the Republican, we've tried the Democratic. What if we tried a third way that was also exactly like those two. Yeah, but like kind of an average of the two, kind of because they seem like they're more moderate than the mainstream Democratic Party. But miles in terms of like kind of the makeup of this group, who is powering this group? Where's the We've talked before about like the pod save guys talking about how when you're deciding if somebody is a good candidate for office, you go and they were saying this as a critique, but it's just the way, like and this is just the way it is. They're saying, like you just go through their phone and be like, Okay, that's a billion billionaire. Yeah, okay, you actually do qualify you could be a candidate. What what does an organization like this look like? What's it's make leadership foundationally? And it's bones right, because this is a group that got together last month in uh Louden County, Louden County, Virginia to figure out how do we get the Democratic Party back on track? How do we reclaim the attention of the working class and the normal American person? And so this group the third way put this, you know, little retreat together with consultants and politicians, their board. I'm just gonna say the chairperson on the board of trustees of Thirdway dot Org is one Rachel Pritzker. Now you may you might be like, wait, I know that last name. Yes, because of a very it's a very dynastic, wealthy family hotel like the Hyatt hotels. JB. Pritzker, who's also the governor of Illinois, is her cousin. She is the chairperson. So we have somebody who comes from dynastic wealth as the chair of this group third Way. Then you just go through their board of trustees. It's either someone who comes from venture capital, someone who comes from Wall Street, or like an academic who gives it some sort of like intellectual credit or yeah, you know, like just just a little bit of what's the word I'm looking for, Uh, what I might help me intellectual bona fidees bona fide Yes, exactly. Where it's like, well, we have this sociologist who's also on the board who talks about inequality. I mean, obviously we won't do anything about it, but they are going to board. They have trustees, some sociologists from the Stanford MBA program. Yeah, that's like rich people win get over it. So they came together and Politico, who's also done a real interesting job of reporting since Trump has gone into office, has like sort of un They got a hold of this pdf that has like five pages of like their takeaways as they got together to do a mind meld, and it's so fucking disheartening, but also into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before you go into it, because it's really awful. Let's just there's it's really important because the way this or peace was reported on, and even I misunderstood it when I first read it because it's been making the rounds, is that it was like they don't name the Third Way group like politicals like centrist Deems group or like leading Dems. It's very cagy, yeah, which makes it sound like a little bit broader, like more Democrats are buying into this, or that the DNC maybe have something to do with it, or the d triple C you know, and the fundraising arm had something to do with it. No, the Third Way is like notoriously awful, So I just want to name like it's it's not it's not necessarily where the rest of the party, although I have massive questions about where they're going to go, right, but they should definitely not listen to yes, the following recommendation.
Speaker 1: Right, I think what it is more than anything, shows that there is the fight for the Democratic Party is well and truly on, and right now the Centrists are making their case. They're trying to round the resources to be like it has to be this version of the Democratic Party. It can't be this fucking a fringe shit like that AOC is talking about, or stuff where they're talking about like taxing the wealthy. I'm sorry, I'm Rachel Pritzker, Like I can't have a bite taken out of my fortune because of this kind of shit. No, but let's make it sound like something good. So again, this was the third way is comeback retreat, and there's four sections takeaways on why Democrats have a cultural disconnect with the working class, Takeaways on why Democrats are not trusted by the working class, on the economy, then takeaways on how Democrats can reconnect culturally with the working class, and takeaways on how Democrats can rebuild economic trust with working class voters.
Speaker 2: Is this like they all were given a mirror and just had to hold it up to their own goddamn faces and were like, we are the reason that the Democratic Party is not connected to the world. It's like a do you guys remember the scene? And if I'm a big Fried Green Tomatoes fan, but like to like get to know your body like Kathy Bates, like has air and she looks at her vagina. Yeah, this is like they need to look at their faces. Look your bank account, look your face, look at your car, look at you know, like who you hang out with?
Speaker 1: Who is the person you know personally that you have in your phone book that you interact with as a person. Yes, and not a service provider, right, just as just as a question, I think that should be the first question rather how many billionaires you know? Your phone cap and berated the Direct TV guy the other day, Does that count? Yeah? I didn't even have aid do it. I just had some steam to blow off. So so I'll read through these and we can stop at whichever one you'd like to, because they're all equally infuriating. But first takeaways on why democrats have a cultural disconnect with the working class. One over emphasis on identity politics too, the faculty lounge problem, which is again they're saying quote Democrats are often viewed as judgmental, out of touch, and dismissive of those without elite education or progressive views. I like how they go, or progressive views very telling, or or us where we don't like that, we feel like weird. They don't. We look down on people who aren't college educated. And also they think we're too woke. Don't ignore. Just to ignore that last part, keep going, it's woke, it's woke. My virus number three, failure to prioritize economic concerns. That's true, true, that's true, But they go it's going to go in an interesting direction. Well, the subhetter is, while voters struggle with jobs, wages, and inflation, Democrats are seen as more focused on cultural and social issues than on economic progress and opportunity. They don't like racism. Well they're also they're not they're not connected in any way. They're not all woven together in this much larger thing called American culture. Anyway. Then we weak messaging and communication through fear of dissent within the party. This is where the wheels completely blow off. Now Democrats is again from this document quote, Democrats are perceived as intolerant of internal debate. We're questioning progressive we're questioning progressive orthodoxy, results in backlash rather than open discussion. Candidates and operatives need to feel more comfortable just saying no to activist groups and unpalatable far left ideas. This is again where you're seeing how the fight's playing out.
Speaker 2: I mean like it's like every heading is like okay, and then their description is like absolutely not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, right, right right exactly.
Speaker 2: So where does Gaza fit into the fear of dissent within the party?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I mean like there, this is amazing, right, because this is the whole thing is like we feel like we're being policed and we feel like we have to get in line. Now. Granted, we haven't gotten in line, and we have not listened to our base, and we've ignored the mass movements, whether it's around BLM or around Gaza. We completely ignore them and we punch left and we treat them like shit. Right, but they make us feel bad and we still ignore them. It's just like what you what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Kabla Harrison energy coming into the election and then promptly steered in the direct direction they're suggesting the party go and lost all the momentum exactly righteah, yeah right. Attachment to unpopular institutions very weird.
Speaker 2: The ones that are now being obliterated by Elon so Republican light got it, got.
Speaker 1: Got right, allowing the far left to define the party. Activist groups and progressive staffers push unpopular cultural positions, making it seem like Democrats are more extreme than they actually are. What the fuck are you talking about? Operatives and campaigns. Must remember that activist groups exist to promote their single issue and raise money around it, not to make Democrats electable reactionary rather than proactive. Over reliance on buzzwords and political correctness hikes and ten, lack a positive national identity message. Okay, Democrats focus too much on America's flaws racism, sexism, inequality without acknowledging the country's progress and potential, making them seem pessimistic and unpatriotic. This is just so very much. Just got their ass kicked in an election where the opposing side did nothing but talk about how America was a complete shithole. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah again. It's very right, right right, it is wild? Where again you this? This next part takeaways on why Democrats are not trusted by the working class On the economy. They could all be summed up in one sentence, which is we cape for capitalism and the status quo and nothing else. That's the problem every time. So the first one vilification of wealth. Democrats are seen as hostile to success, indifferent to people's desire to attain wealth, while reflexively attacking wealthy business leaders instead of promoting economic mobility and aspiration. Hm disconnected messaging like everything is just so. Democrats focus on broad economic indicators instead of acknowledging real struggles like high prices and stagnant wages, making voters feel dismissed and unheard. Yeah you can, this is the problem. You'll point, you'll gesture to the problems, but you'll never fucking wrestle with the issues. That's that's I mean, this is just wild.
Speaker 2: Like, first of all, these are complete nincome poops number one, but number one and number two of why democrats are not trusted by the working class are completely antithetical to one another. We have disconnected messaging. We don't actually make it clear that we understand and listen to voters' economic concerns. When grocery prices are exorbitantly high, they can't afford childcare, on and on and on. But people are being too mean to corporations and we can vilify the wealthy. This is the problem. This is but this is actually why Joe Biden failed in a lot of ways beyond the butcher Biden you know, last fifteenth you know year of his presidency was really about like, Okay, we're going to sort of nibble around the edges, pass and reforms, go after you know, monopolies, but we're not going to do it hard enough or swift enough to actually make real gains that impact people's lives. And we're going but we're gonna still piss off the one percent, and we're never going to gain popular so port for these programs and for these things like stopping the price gouging or making sure that you know, you know, Apple and Google and Amazon are you know, have to break up or sell off certain companies or we're you know, we're suing them all that we're not going to make these very valiant policies that we are enacting actually popular because we're not gonna specifically vilify the one percent. Like in order to connect to people economically, you have to vilify the wealth. You have to vilify the one percent. It gives people something to latch onto and that's you know, that's why Trump is so successful is because he's demonizing immigrants, trans people, women like, we understand that, So give them the opposite, say the ninety nine percent versus the one percent. It's what catapulted the occupy movement into Bernie Sanders two time near electoral win.
Speaker 1: So it's just like, yeah, the one percent, but the one percent is running everything, so how can we expect them to even have this like this one part too. Failure to address economic anxiety is another one where it's like, yeah, no shit, but again they just go on to just like talk around the issue. Another one is nine the breakroom versus the boardroom. Democratic economic messages often come from elite celebrities and politicians rather than working class voices that voters can relate to. What you're saying is, yes, the party has been captured by the hyper wealthy, so you're inherently going to have it to communication to our wording, it's not going to happen with Rachel Pritzker or people of that ilk at the helm of a political party. They have absolutely is so far out of their vagina and a mirror.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 1: Just say that just look at it for us. At it for a second and it'll be.
Speaker 2: Actually it's not nearly as nice as doing that, but like, yeah, it's this is No one should take anything these people say seriously. And it's really annoying that the way that the political article was spun was made it seem like this wasn't the third everybody knows a third way. Organization has been like tone deaf. Now the problem is is that people you know, like James Carville will pair it a lot of these points, and many people pay it these points, which is basically like we need to get rid of the racial justice component, which is not really even a component. It's just sort of a lip service that we pay to real equity in this country. Get rid of all that language because weren't actually doing anything to implement it. Also hop on board with DEI programs, DIA programs, which are again stopgap measures that mostly make ourselves look better and so we don't have to address structural issues economic issues broadly like this is. And then the last thing like don't make me look at twenty twenty five and like miss Obama, like don't make me miss the way. The one thing that Obama was actually able to do well, which was I think, give some sort of narrative structure to this democracy that we live in. Is specifically when it comes to like multiracial democracy, a country that is still in formation, in the making, that is a sum of its parts, you know that its best days are ahead, not behind, but truly with again this like call it it's not post racial, but of course in the minds of a lot of white people, this like post racial. Everyone's moving forward, you know, we can do it together. Like like, it's just so wild that we live in a time where like two thousand and nine seemed really hopeful, you know, And and I say that as someone who in two thousand and nine was actually not that hopeful, and of course was like everyone else many progress is very disappointed. But like, it's not that hard to have a narrative of multi racial democracy that is inclusive, where there's an economy that works for all people. It's fucking really simple to articulate that, and many politicians do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's like just something about this, especially in third way and knowing how wealthy the people are behind it too, or like they they can they're reading the room that the clock is take for people like for just ignoring the wealth hoarding that's happening from the like the very wealthy, and I think they're trying to like dance around it in this way where they're like, ah, it's a problem, but I certainly don't know how to contend with it. That ends up with me having less than I already do. And that's that's a totally that's because all this stuff just reads to me is it's pro inequality propaganda, like all of these talking points, and if that's your worldview, if you're pro inequality or just indifferent to inequality, all of these talking points are very easy for you to pairrot and act like you're analyzing and observing a problem and that maybe there's something to be done about it, but you are falling short of the actual work of saying we actually have to begin to dismantle these structures if we want a tangible effect, if we want voters to actually have some kind of tangible outcome that they can then connect to this party and say, yeah, you know what, I trust them, I'll vote for them because I can see they understand what's at stake and they're contending with it than trying to be like the problem is and this they say this in their document, small dollar donors, that's a thing to be. That's a remedy they're putting in here. Revised democratic fundraising parties move away from the dominance of small dollar donors whose preferences may not align with the broader electric Aka, stop listening to the people who were trying to who's trust we're trying to regain and just just get all the money from our wealthy friends.
Speaker 2: It is a complete nonsensical document because it's just full of these hypocrisies. The small dollar donors, I eat many many people, don't represent many many people.
Speaker 1: Right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: No, nobody knows what you're saying. It doesn't make any sense. And again, this is what's gonna look guys, this is what gets us fascism. This kind of thinking. Yeah, lines in the Sanda been drawing, y'all, there's a class war. Which side are you on? Okay, stop fucking caping like you care when you want to maintain you know, tax structure the way it is. When you're not actually really going to address wealth inequality, shut up, Just go go over to the side of the room of the gymnasium with all the billionaires because we don't need you anymore. We understand, Like truly though, I'm just like so sick of these people, you know, helping the Democratic Party and its tail spin and it's their fucking nose dives, because this is this is what the Kamala Harris campaign did.
Speaker 1: It's exactly what these things. Yes, yeah, the I mean, so the playbook, I feel like for the Democratic Party, both successfully and unsuccessfully, has been promised progressive change, like big radical change and then govern as a right leaning York photocracy and like that playbook and not.
Speaker 2: Even really do the former, like not even really promise broad right.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, just like gesture esthetically, Obama felt like he was offering revolutionary change, hope and change, you know, but then like out really in any sort of real way did A was I mean, like.
Speaker 2: You know, ACA was a good like when I'm I'm even again, I put Obama in a separate category at this point, like Kamala Harris did not run an Obama campaign at all. There was no big idea and again there was so much working against her and on and on and on, but like this is useless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I mean really. Yeah, I feel like because people have been fooled by this so long, and like, yes, the Obama like ACA was something, it was also written by the insurance industry, and like I think the big original sin that people can't get past is the bailing out of Wall Street. And yeah, like but so the two options seem to be like promise progressive and then government progressive. If you're not going to do the promise progressive and then govern as a corporatography, it's promised progressive and then government progressive or promise corporatography and govern the way you've always been governing.
Speaker 2: And which why would if you're a corporation, now, why the like, why would you ever throw it down with Democrats? Again, the Republicans are promising you the moon and the stars, right, I mean they are truly doing you a massive service. I mean, you know, unless you rely on things like snap benefits to underpay your workers so they don't come at you with a knife and shit, right, then that would suck for you Walmart and others. But like, again, the line of the sand has been drawn and the corporations and you've got rub and diego going and like trying to you know, fundraise with Marc Andreessen and other you know crypto crypto bros. And be like we're good too, Like you can't offer them what they want.
Speaker 1: No, and also like open up your let's let's see the donations you've gotten from that sector, because we all know what time it is. They just bought you as a voice to normalize crypto for their own aim. And like we've talked about before, they were the biggest industry that was spending this last election cycle to get pro crypto talking points out to Democrats and republics. The one thing though, too, which goes along with all this, one of their takeaways for how they can rebuild economic trust is to quote number five, be pro aspiration and pro capitalism in a smart way. Recognize that working class voters value upward mobility and economic success, have a prosperity gospel aimed at the working class, call out corporate abuses individually instead of attacking quote corporations as a whole. Now, pro aspiration is such a fucking violent, fucked up term in this context where it's like not that you're saying, provide people with this tangible path. It's like they like upward mobility, but That's why we use the word aspirational, because that doesn't mean you're delivering. That means you have the hope that it will happen. That doesn't mean you have to.
Speaker 2: Do use words like grindset, mindset more and uh, you know, life hack.
Speaker 1: Hustler of the Month is going to get a Lambeau brought to you by the DNC.
Speaker 2: I mean truly, truly, it's like, like, okay, so instead of free college tuition, you want to lie to people exactly the way that Republicans lie to them. And no one's saying that the allure of a get out of capitalism free card or like being able to get a bunch of money through crypto doesn't exist precisely because of the moment that we're in, and honestly precisely because the Democratic Party has lost their way, you know, since FDR and since it's embrace of neoliberalism. But I'm very excited in twenty twenty eight for the fucking for Gavin Newsom to trot out Bill fucking Clinton again and again and again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Right. One of the things is like hanging out with like meeting them where they are at tailgates and gun shows, which is just and and I think small town diners, which first of all, like loaning in tailgates, gun shows, local restaurants. This is written by the most billionaire motherfucker, Like you know, tailgates and gun shows, local restaurants.
Speaker 2: And it's all white coated, right, isn't that just white coated?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, this is all going for like conservative Middle America.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, unsuccessful Democratic candidates have been trying to lean into gun culture and failing since Ducaccus in eighty right when he like drove that fucking tank like carry had an infamous gun photo op Kamala kept ragging about how she had a glock like it just it feels like they've got taken taken. Like the twenty twenty four election is just like let's double down on listening to the exact wrong people who told us all the things that made us lose. Yeah. Well, then you also have like senators like Chris Murphy who are like kind of kind of like having an internal debate with themselves about seeing the light where they're like, I think it's like we gotta listen to like these poor people man, and like we're just not doing a good job. But also shit.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm hard to determine.
Speaker 1: I don't even care are I was like, uh huh, yeah, I know, which is like it all feels performative because at the end of the day, like these people, their entire existence is rooted in the fact that this system stays the same. So I can't really it's hard for me to believe that they now have this steal to go after to start to even begin to reckon with all of these structures that exacerbate the very income or the inequality that they're saying is causing a disconnect. It's like, well, we're not going to contend with the issue, but we need to figure out how to tell them that the sky is blue when this shit is black.
Speaker 2: Back in twenty twenty, I did a news Broke episode that was basically like how to Beat Trump and one of the bullet points, which is one that we just you could just erase this entire thing and just have one bullet point, which is be authentic, and I would revise that and just say believe in something, literally, believe something. Pick a thing to actually believe in.
Speaker 1: We believe Santa.
Speaker 2: For me, that's it exactly, Like I don't even give a shit of its Santa. If it's Santa, sell me on Santa, but I need you to actually believe it.
Speaker 1: I think the thing about Santa, he's given too many handouts to people that don't deserve it. You know, wait what, you're just boomerang that.
Speaker 2: Santa is a nice idea. That's a good concept, but really they should be earned stocking stuffers. And you know, if you don't pay into the stalking system, it should be sort of based on your own income.
Speaker 1: How many toys? I just hate that they basically are taking treat human beings with dignity and respect and saying that this is radical far left thinking. Like because if you just tell someone, you don't have to evoke any kind of political theory here, just be like this, here's your platform. We believe that you have the right to healthcare without going bankrupt because your body gets fucked up from maybe the myriad of threat vectors we put in the environment to to you know, corporate activity. Whatever. Healthcare. Okay, you should be able to have a roof over your head. If you would like an education, that should be attainable for you at any kind. You want to learn a trade, you want to go to university. Okay, we got that covered food. What else? Healthcare? Childcare, that your children will be safe. That's really those are so broad that it would be hard like you're not I mean, some conservatives will be like, we're trying to give a handout, but other people they are clamoring for things to be more affordable or their lives to be less shitty. Just articulate that in a way that is just talking about it's just like the basics. It's really just the basics, but it's it's much easier for it to get like sort of muddled in this kind of like think tank talk and then have places like Politico be like, all right, this is like this is kind of what might be the new normal way for the Democratic Party, or at least we'll give this the most attention. So no version that seems too fucking quote radical takes hold, and you know, people start looking the other also.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like if you really want to learn from the Republicans, because all this is is looking at the other side more like hey, they're good good, and like, you know, I do understand this idea of like speaking to people wanting to get ahead, and our intense individualism and all this and people liking money and people not wanting the collective, and that's going to take a long many years to rebuild that sense of collectivity of a real like yes, an American identity that is about equal protection under the law, that is about everyone getting an opportunity. Like there's been so much hollowing out of the government. Many people believe obviously all this shit is dead if it ever were alive. But I'm like thinking about it, and I'm like, Okay, universal education like free tuition. Right, let's say community colleges, state schools to begin with. And if you don't want to take advantage of free university tuition, you can get money instead. It's like, so you get it's like putting money in people's posts. People love money, and so it's like, you know what I'm saying, It's like something like that where it's like it feels like socialism to a kind of exactly. It Also, if you don't like exactly, you could get money to go to a trade school or like start your own business right out of college or high school, whatever you want. But we want to promote you going to school you freely and fair you know, all that we think everyone should have an economic I mean educational opportunity like that, but also here's money. Like if ins said you don't like things like that, that would be an interesting creative way to address this moment that we're in, but also talk about what can actually solve you know, yeah, you know the moment that we're in.
Speaker 1: Or they talk about, oh, people love aspirational stuff and like they're driven or whatever. That's because there's no fucking middle class. If there was a middle class, people wouldn't be aspiring to be lambeau driving, like jet hopping, fucked with sex traffickers because they look at that as being like, well, those are the option. Those are like if I want to go on a trip, like have like a nice dinner, look like I have to be hyper wealthy because my job that used to be able to afford someone a very normal, enjoyable life, that fucking vision is gone. So that's what they're aspiring to. It's not that they want, not necessarily, but the example that we have in society is that you must have X amount of dollars for this experience to be enjoyable. Yeah, just those people in extreme version, those people putting me in pain, and that's those are your two options. Be the one who's getting fucked over and scammed, or be the scammer or the person's like making all the money and your stupid yeah is also part of it. Let's take a quick break, we'll come back. We'll say a quick goodbye to Skype. We'll be right back. Goodbye Skype, and we're back and good bye Skype. All right, that is our episode. Oh you didn't hear so Skype is about to die. Uh it will ring for the last time on May fifth, single to mile. Yeah. Yeah, they're going out big part in bio And it's just it's kind of worth taking a step back and asking has any tech company fumbled its place quite like Skype? Like we used the word Skype as a verb to describe what Zoom now does. Yes, And when the pandemic hit, everyone just was like, no, fuck Skype, We're going to Zoom. Because Microsoft had acquired Skype for eight point five billion dollars in twenty eleven, it's not like they had just like gotten an infusion. They had it for eight solid years, nine solid years.
Speaker 2: Well, they did launch Microsoft spaces was it spaces Space?
Speaker 1: Well now, so basically they're just shifting this over to teams.
Speaker 2: Teams I forgot.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Google Spaces, Google Spaces, Microsoft Teams. It's easy to tell apart. And it's why so much? Yes, yes, every week quite a bit.
Speaker 2: I've created five accounts.
Speaker 1: What's going on? They basically tried so once they got that big investment acquisition by Microsoft, they just like started trying to be everything X everything app. They started trying to be like they created their own like emoji system called Moji's. They call it's called moojis. They're like emojis, No, they're mojis, and actually you get you get fined if you say if you put the E in there. Can you imagine in that pitch meeting, they're like, and we have Moji's and they're like, is that just emojis? No? No, no, man five ads yeah, something about seven minute abbs. Yeah. They also tried to like be Snapchat. They put put a bunch of features together from Snapchat. The developers just did not focus on the core functionality of making sure the video call quality remained. And so I think the thing was just like when you when the pandemic hit, you could just have like a zoom link and like you could just use it like for free basically, like you didn't have to like set up a thing and like connect it to your phone number, like have a separate you know. It was just easy to use, and they were just like not there yet.
Speaker 2: It was browser based, right, I mean that's isn't that the whole thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sky gon app, though they have an app, It's just like it wasn't as easy to use. It wasn't no, but no one.
Speaker 2: Would send you a skypelink and be like join my meeting or join my call.
Speaker 1: Right, that's just like you had to it was. It felt more like they were still in the world at first phones. Yeah, yeah, like you had to like Skype me, here's my user name.
Speaker 2: You know, this is upsetting to me because I used Skype well for a very long distance relationship for a long time, so that was like pivotal, Like all my Skype is like, you know, falling in love with my ex you know.
Speaker 1: Through Skype.
Speaker 2: Wow, Skype yad you know, as we used to say, and uh. And then also I used Skype to call people when I want to hide my phone number. Yeah yeah, yeah, you know, like all the people I stock mostly did representatives and so I don't know how. I guess I could do that with a Google Voice number, but I'm trying to figure out how to do that because I don't want people tracking me back to my phone.
Speaker 1: Sure yeah yeah, Google Voice, Google Voice help Google Voice the move. But Burner Phone shout out to Skype. We hardly knew ye a mere twenty years in existence.
Speaker 2: This is just like it's like you know, the comedian I e Me, who didn't you know, start learning TikTok during the pandemic really screwed up. Yeah, it's like Skype, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, oh god.
Speaker 2: But also just such a waste because they didn't need the money. I mean, that's what monopoly does, where you're like in other hands, I'm I like to think, and I don't know anything about running a business, but like Skype would have been it, they would have maintained it. But it's like if you don't really need I don't know, I'm just like one of.
Speaker 1: Your company, then you're like, yeah, whatever, fool, I got my payday right exactly.
Speaker 2: Zoom isn't Microsoft.
Speaker 1: You're like a satellite branch in like some part of Microsoft. That's just yeah, being ignored and mismanaged quietly behind closed doors.
Speaker 2: So now it is truly just Zoom and like Google meets.
Speaker 1: Zoom and team and teams of course, and Zoom hasn't been.
Speaker 2: Acquired or Zoom is just like the Zoom Empire.
Speaker 1: Now are he zooms its own thing now? Yeah, we're in the zoom age.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah yeah until Elon buys it for.
Speaker 1: However much Francesca, it's it's been a pleasure as always having you on the daily. Where can people find you? Hear you?
Speaker 2: Like every time we have like multiple stories and then I just talk so much that we don't get to.
Speaker 1: That is every episode of the show episode, no matter the guest.
Speaker 2: Dude, you can I feel that. I mean I feel I never feel rushed. So thank you and thanks for listening. Uh you can find me at Franni fou on all the socials and listen to the Situation Room where you get your podcasts, or watch it live on YouTube at Franni Theo. But also if you really want to come see me, I'll be doing stand up with my husband Matt Leeb on Sunday, March sixteenth in Sacramento and then May seventh, which is a Wednesday at Cobbs Comedy in San Francisco, and it's going to be.
Speaker 1: So so fun two days after the Skype funeral.
Speaker 2: Oh shoot, that's right, we're gonna Yeah, we're gonna pour one.
Speaker 1: Out for some guy Irish wake for Skype. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if you are in Pasadena, if you're in Los Angeles, I'll be March twenty sixth at the Ice House. I have my show New World Disorder monthly stand up show there.
Speaker 1: It'll be good. Nice. Is there a workymedia that you've been enjoying?
Speaker 2: Okay, there is a skeet. Yeah, we call it made I.
Speaker 1: Just in this household their skeets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're skeets. There's a skeet Amy Brown and I hadn't seen this joke before, so I'm attributing it to Amy Brown, who said, I'm not the first to say it, but I do sort of see where Jade Vance's mom was coming from when she traded him for drugs.
Speaker 1: Miles, Where can people find you? Is there a workimedia you've been enjoying? Yeah? Find me everywhere They have at Symbols at Miles of Gray, and also find Jacket out on the basketball podcast Miles and Jacket Adam Bustie's. You can also find me with Sofia Alexander talking ninety day on four twenty day Fiance. A couple streets I like. First one is John Boys, John Bois, I said. Next door started sending me email digest I never asked for but I'm really glad they did. Someone just posted a photo of a parked car with a door open, like, hey, heads up in case this is your car. Someone asked if they closed it. They said no, because what if I close it and the car explodes? Sounds like some next door ass logic. And then Emma Burkwist at Emma Broquist dot bescati social But god, it must be so easy to be a dem consultant, just sitting around making two hundred and fifty k a year to say things like, actually, voters don't want healthcare, they want you to go to gun shows and start using the word orientals again. All right. You can find me on Twitter at Jack underscore, o Brian on Blue Sky at Jack ob the number one I like to tweet from lesbian Mothman at very Small River tweeted, shortening cilantro to slaunch. I like it. That's great, good Irish. There a Brieve slaunch. Yet. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeke and on Blue Sky at Daily's like Ice. We're at the Daily Chased on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page on a website Daily zeikes dot com where we post our episodes and our footnotes where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as the song that we think you might enjoy. Miles, is there a song you think people might enjoy? Yeah, there is a track called I Remember. It's like two Eyes and remember a Marabou State m A R I B o U. They are a duo from the UK. I've heard like some I've heard electronic tracks Eve done, this feels more of like a live band vibe with some really good it's It kind of feels like a track jungle kind of what it makes. So if you like that kind of like funky, it's got just just solid, solid track with a little bit of bounce to us. So keep your daylight and bouncing. This one called I Remember, I Remember. I I like when Mark Wahlberg gets taste in that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, light plan a little flight plan reference for it, flight risk. Sorry, oh boy, Yeah, all right, we will link off too. I remember in the footnotes, which you can also find in the show description. Wherever you're listening to this, The Daily Zeitgeist is the production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That is going to do it for us this morning. We're back this afternoon to tell you what is trending, and we'll talk to you all then. Bye bye.