Speaker 1: Welcome in the Jags find a way to win in week one in Indie. You guys, what was the biggest play for you in yesterday's game?
Speaker 2: Jamal Agnew has to be the biggest play of the game, right, The big punt return could have been inside the ten and then it ends up positive territory, Jags turning too the go ahead that ship.
Speaker 3: Don't forget about the forgotten guy in this offense all off season, Zay Jones. An amazing catch, and if he doesn't make that catch all of a sudden, the score and the tone of that game is different for a couple of quarters.
Speaker 4: Welcome into Jags A.
Speaker 1: I'm our first victory Monday, Jags A, I'm Brind's out with us today. Brent Martineau stepping in. We appreciate you. John Oser here as always. I'm sure going to point out that he was correct about how.
Speaker 4: The game was going to play out. We'll let and get to that in a little bit. I know you're just chomping at the vit to tell us you were right.
Speaker 1: But we're presented by Carshield here today and we're in the Hundai studios.
Speaker 4: We're just this is good.
Speaker 1: I was excited to finally talk about some football, and I think we all predicted in Jags win. I don't think we predicted it in that manner, Brent. Are we surprised by how things played out?
Speaker 4: Or is it just a Week one thing.
Speaker 2: I do think Week one is weird, so you got to expect the unexpected. But I don't think any of us thought the Jaguars defense was going to steal the show. For the last eight months, nobody was talking about the Jags defense. All of a sudden, it stole the show. I thought the Jags defense would play better this season because they would be in the lead. Wasn't necessarily the case. They had to actually keep the Jags offense in the game. That's what was so different.
Speaker 3: Well, I read both of your previews for the file analysis that we do on Jaguars dot Com, and I kind of thought we all were in agreement that it would be a game where the fans were expecting this blowout.
Speaker 5: Wings You'd heard so much about.
Speaker 3: This team, and I think we all thought there'd be Week one, there'd be some Anthony richardson big plays, there'd be some weirdness. You don't get weirder than the Forrest Buckner, So I guess I wasn't surprised all the way it played out, and I'm getting a lot of angst in my inbox and people just you know, and.
Speaker 5: Where are we, Brent? When you score thirty one and.
Speaker 3: You're criticizing the play calling, you win by ten with a weird defensive touchdown on the other side, so maybe you should have won by seventeen, and.
Speaker 5: People are mad. It's a new area, Jaguar.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's really think about the years, Brent, when it would have been cartwheels over that game.
Speaker 2: I'm guilty of it too, John, because that game did not feel rhythmic, great stuff we've seen in the preseason, and you look up at the end of the day they have thirty one points, like, okay, I'll stop.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 5: I think that's important though.
Speaker 3: I mean the fact that they can do that and not feel like they're in tune or in sync if you will, it does show you the expectations on this team, and I think it's important for a team not to be able to play well. And because they said it was sloppy and still put up thirty one and still feel it never got a hand and they pulled away at the end. So that was I said to somebody last year after the Washington game, you.
Speaker 5: Know, there was a good NFL loss.
Speaker 3: We had so many bad losses here in the past, and all of a sudden, after that Washington game, you felt like they were gonna be okay. They were planned. Well, yes, it was a good NFL win. Yeah it was, yeah, because you.
Speaker 5: Could have lost it.
Speaker 3: Polar opposites those two openers, and I think it shows you how far they've come.
Speaker 2: I don't feel I don't know if Kai knows this because I said it to were on Jaguars All Access. She's coming in at a good time. I'm not sure Doug Peterson realizes this. This is not a game the Jags win over the last fifteen years. They do not make plays in the fourth quarter to win. We are still getting used to that around here.
Speaker 1: Let's go over some of the big things, because we touched on them a little bit. But big thing number one is good teams find a way because they do. As we've mentioned here, good teams find a way to win. And you said this before. The Jags haven't found a way to win in the past, but now they're a good team and they found that way. I think at one point they went forward on fourth down. John, we were discussing it in the press box. You're like, maybe take the points, maybe don't go for it. And Doug Peterson he's all about it. He's got that I don't know, he's got that gut, he's ready to go. He'll stomach whatever that ending of that play was going to be, but end up working out. So he looks very, very smart. But they found a way to win. You have to rely on that and feel a little bit good about how things ended up.
Speaker 5: John, Yeah, I think you feel like good.
Speaker 3: The sequence we were talking about was when the Jags had the ball down twenty one seventeen and it was fourth down within field goal range at that time, A conventional wisdom old days, which Doug Peterson is not a conventional wisdom old days coach, I would have kicked a field goal gotten within one with the idea that at that point the Colts, after their touchdown to Michael Pittman, had twenty seven yards until that final drive when it was sort of mop up top.
Speaker 5: The defense was stopping him and Anthony Richardson was not going to move them, so.
Speaker 3: I thought kick the field goal. Stop him, get another field goal and you probably win the game. Doesn't think that way, as I told kaya said, that's why he lives where he lives, and I live in Springfield.
Speaker 1: They fat him the big bucks for that, for sure. Our big thing. Number two, we're going to talk about the defense. He touched on that a little bit. They kind of same today. We've been giving them. You know a lot of people been complaining about the past rush. How are they going to get to it? Josh Allen said, I got this myself. He had three tackles for lost three sacks when they have seven sacks all of last year. So he's clearly above pace already. After game one, right, he looked like a man on fire out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the monster. The play he's not even get a lot of credit or enough credit. I already seen people say, well he ran it Richardson out of bounds. It's like he ran Richardson out of boonds. Go back and look at that play, and I'm telling you, guys that are elite in this league don't make that play. And he made some others too. He was terrific. But John, I think we've got to give credit to the secondary here because some of those sacks were coverage sacks. Anthony Richardson didn't like what he saw. I had to escape the pocket or stay in the pocket. I think the unsung hero of this game is really the secondary of the Jaguars, not that they're electric on the outside. They did their job, they did it well. They allowed the Jags to eat up front a little bit when they had to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought there were some coverage rookie quarterback sacks. At the same time. They had four against somebody who's not as unbelievably strong as this kid. They probably have seven because they were on them a lot. So however, those numbers work out. You take sacks where you can get them through the year because you missed so many that are so close. They'll take the four they got yesterday. An impressive defensive effort. I thought, if you focused on one thing, they stopped him four or five times on fourth down against the old school, conservative old man and me Brent. This has become a fourth down league, especially with coaches you know, Peterson and Psyching psychings out of that Philadelphia school that goes forward a lot stop on fourth down in some games.
Speaker 5: It's become the new third.
Speaker 2: Down Money's down money downs were bad for both teams. By the way seven thirty.
Speaker 4: It wasn't a good look. It wasn't a good look.
Speaker 1: Our last big thing off the top is going to be O line because going into Renny Camp, we thought the offensive line was gonna be a strong suit, maybe the deepest section of this team. But it looked tough at times yesterday and Brendan Sheriff also had an injury. John, what's going on with the O line? Is this something they can figure out? Is this an off thing? Is this a game one thing?
Speaker 4: What are your thoughts?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think thing to remember offensive line can be tough in the opener because just like with other parts of the of the coaching staff, defenses scheme all season for like this one game, and they do things you don't expect. The other thing to remember is, as Trevor Lawrence said after the game, the interior of the Colts defense is their strength. It's one of the best in the league, and I think we sort of overlooked. I even said it last week. Well to Forest Bugn, you should be able to stop at defensive tackle. Yeah, well, he's an All Pro defensive tackle and he's really good and that's the strength and Gus is a good, experienced defensive coordinator.
Speaker 5: They're a defense that's still believed.
Speaker 3: You know, Week one is so tough, I've always thought because nobody believes they're bad, yet nobody has any negatives to believe, well, we're not gonna be good this year. By week eight or nine, teams sort of know what they are, so they know they're not gonna win certain games. The Colts weren't feeling that, so they thought they were gonna win the game. I'm not overly worried about the offensive line because I believe Phil rash is gonna figure this out. I believe they were okay last year. I think he's gonna be fine going forward. But I'm sort of in the minority. Everybody's concerned about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'll tell you why I'm mostly concerned about in in a second. But I think also, the Colts don't always come across as his physical team. We've covered them for a long time around here. The Titans, different story. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, those are the teams you think physical Jacks got whooped up front. I mean that defensive front really did a number on the Jags even on the good place, Trevor's running for his life a little bit and making something happen with his legs. Here's where I'm concerned about the offensive line. They are banged up quietly right Walker Little didn't play that last preseason game against Miami. He was nursing the slight growing thing. He had a tough couple of series at one time in this football game. You look at a guy like Harrison who also had some tough moments shoulder right. Sheriff now with the injury, so they're not mate well, Sheriff could be a little more than sure minor, but they're battling some things. One caveat hit me last night at like eleven o'clock, which means I think too much about the Jacksonville Jaguars. Remember last year it's Washington and the opener. They were terrible in the opener, the offensive line. I think there were forty drop back passes in that game, and Trevor got hard red twenty times, so fifty. They did not play well. They went not to play very well. So Rauscher, to your point, and company got better as a season one.
Speaker 3: Awe, they also did okay, And I don't want a great on a curve, but they did ok in spots, good protection, the A Jones touchdown, and don't forget it's hard to run in this league. They stuck with it and by the fourth quarter when they needed it, it was there. And you know one thing we haven't talked about yet. I overlooked him because I was on the bigsby traying all all pre seasons good and that last run.
Speaker 5: You know, I had some fans, well, he didn't run the ball.
Speaker 3: If you watched that last run, Travis Etn had a nice run on that and he we had talked about him as a dark horse for MVP outside of Trevor.
Speaker 5: That's not nothing. He's he's he's got it.
Speaker 2: This year he had like over one hundred yards of total offense, which it didn't feel like. I did not overlook him. I loved the guy and I think he's one of the most underrated players in the National Football League coming off of last year. Simply put, I mean, he's a weapon they got to utilize the more I thought they should have screen gained them a little bit more.
Speaker 3: In fact, yesterday, and it's odd to think about Travis having one hundred quiet yards. I was stunned when I looked at it and he had over one hundred totally yards.
Speaker 5: But he got it in workmanlike fashion.
Speaker 3: If he's getting yards in workman like fashion, he's gonna have a monster year because the huge plays are gonna come for.
Speaker 1: Him, absolutely, as we saw at the end of the game yesterday. All Right, coming up, we're gonna go over all the highlights from yesterday's game, including one of the weirdest.
Speaker 4: Plays I've seen in professional football. So we'll be right back. Move the freight, Move the freight.
Speaker 1: Magellan Transport voted coolest office space in Jackson, Billy. You can apply online at www dot Magellan Logistics dot com. All right, we're back here on Jags Am victory Monday. Good times for us. We're gonna go over some of the highlights because it was a weird one and if a lot of emotions, ups and downs for sure, But starting out early, we saw exactly what we wanted to see between Trevor Lawrence and Calvin Ridley because Calvin Ridley's just doing Calvin Ridley things. Because he of course had to find Calvin Ridley in the back of the end zone for the first touchdown of the game and the first shutdown for Ridley in a while Bright where you surprised that they had that connection right off the bat.
Speaker 2: Not really we talked about all week. I thought they'd actually kill the out route much more, but gust and the defense kind of took that away. This is a tremendous play, but again, he has to run away from pressure, and if you watch the end zone angle of this, it looks like you almost throws a no look past the Riddley because Brenton Strange is wide open. So then the defender jump ends up over there jumping the Brenton Strange part of this.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's be fair. He ran away from pressure, but he'd already been in the pocket like four seconds at that point.
Speaker 3: So I know you're banging the offensive line this week, but I thought the offensive line was fine on that. What happens, he was looking for Ingram and they had it covered. Tram made a great play getting back around, was never really pressured on the play. Here's what's striking one hundred yards in a touchdown for Ridley and you sort of felt after the game why he could add a lot more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Sure, there you know, and I'm getting emails. Why did they use Christian, Well, you can't use everybody. This offense I think had three hundred and twenty yesterday. There are gonna be weeks where this thing gets going. You saw flashes of it, and it's going to be a share of the wealth.
Speaker 1: And we talked about people that were going to benefit from, you know, that coverage on Ridley's a Jones. He had a day yesterday and one of the prettiest catches I've seen in quite some time in that back of the end zone, going down and getting that with one hand. I know you talked to say on the ozone podcast, John, and he's excited.
Speaker 4: For the role he plays. Whatever role that's going to be.
Speaker 3: Well, and he's good in that role because he's really dangerous. If if you double Ridley or if you take other things away, he can sure beat single coverage whenever he has it. I thought this play, you know, don't discount a couple of throws that Trevor Lawrence made yesterday, this one, the one down the sidelines to Ingram quietly. Trevor Lawrence his talent in this game and his status I think is a top ten quarterback now. And rising was a big difference between two quarterbacks who Richardson couldn't make those throws.
Speaker 5: In the NFL, those things matter.
Speaker 2: Kyle also think that shows a lot of trust too, because that play showed trust to get it to Zay Jones early before the Ridley touchdowns, a twenty four yard play kind of just throws up to him and says, hey, I'm going to go get We make a play.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It's a good throw and everything, but its reminiscent of that Miami game where he threw the one down the sideline to him. He's starting to trust these guys and really he trusts himself.
Speaker 3: You can't win if you don't have that in the NFL between quarterback and receiver.
Speaker 5: It's a good sign. There were three or four plays like that yesterday.
Speaker 1: Let's go to one of the weirdest things I've ever seen in professional football, because why not to for s Buckner, who we did talk about but clearly did not give enough credit to that. So obviously they called it a bumble. You know, you could think at first maybe it was an incomplete pass, but everybody stopped. And I think one of the first things Doug said after game was we talked about this every single Thursday you played in the West All you just always play until things are dead dead, the play is over, and they did it. And unfortunately that's just a little bit of a mental mistake there, Brent. Do you play make much of it or do you think it's just a hey, one off, We're not going to see that again. Maybe there was two Brookies on that side involved in it and it just wasn't you know, they just didn't fall through on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you see this from time to time in the league where it's just one of these wacky plays. I think it's a nothing play at the end of the day, One because you want and overcame it, and two because I don't think we're going to see it again. So I'm not really sure, Like, yeah, it's a learning point if your coach all that stuff played through the whistle, I actually think it mightn't be a play at the NFL wants to look at the play's done. He's given himself up and it should the play still be active. But I don't know how you officiate that if not. I mean, you got to play to the end of the whistle all that stuff, but everyone on the field it wasn't just Tank bigs people. Most everybody on the field, even DeForrest Bucker, thought it was incomplete right alert give.
Speaker 3: I'm drawing a blank in the linebacker's name who forced it out played really well yesterday. If that ball, you know, everybody's killing Tank Bigsby because he had.
Speaker 5: The drop in the first half. There was a tough you know, and he had this one.
Speaker 3: My guess is if that ball had bounced to ten other Jaguars, probably eight of them do this same thing. It looked like Evan knew what was going on because he was still trying to follow the ball most colts did. It flashed in my mind that they might stop it for giving himself up. I think had he been on the ground, that might have had a little bit more Looking back at the play, I watched it again last night. I don't know how else the officials could have correctly officiated it under how it is now, because since he wasn't on the ground, he wasn't as much giving himself up. But again, you watch this game for thirty years, you think you've seen everything, and invariably, once a week you see something where you think, oh.
Speaker 5: That's why officiating is hard.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day, this was Miles Jack's fault.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well.
Speaker 4: You want it.
Speaker 5: It's very true, very true.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move things forward because this is a turning point, just this drive as a whole. It started with Agnew's return, right, he hadn't been getting a ton We obviously know he's capable, but he chose to run this one back goes across the field. It's a Huger turnout of it. And I really felt the momentum change because before that you were kind of like, what are we doing? Like it didn't feel great, and then this huge momentum turner. Down on fourth down, they go to Za Jones to get the first down, and then these two back to back plays from Tank Bigsby, who they did not shy away from. I mean maybe he mad had some rookie moments, but they went to him after that and they pushed him down to the one yard line and then Trevor follows him in for the score right after this, and just showing that trust brand in a rookies where you know, maybe they're not doing everything you want, but if you're gonna play a rookie, you gotta let him have those moments.
Speaker 2: Listen, I don't know if they win the game, if they have to start in the ball at the five or seven or ten yard line. I mean, I don't think they do the way the offense was fut or not going ninety yards in that football game. I also think the play, well, fourth and two is going to be the most underrated to play the game because it's a nice job by Trevor to find Jay and obviously the call to go for it. But this is the play because the offensive line wasn't great yesterday, Tank Bigsby wasn't great yesterday, but in this moment, they all were awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I give Brenton Strange from credit here too, basically got it. He gets his hands around Bigsby's waist, said okay, we're going in. Yeah, and as strange as a rookie too. Again this drive, that's Zay Jones play. I'm fifty seven, Brent, so I'm probably not going to change my old man ways.
Speaker 5: That is not a play that you was yesterday.
Speaker 3: Eight first down attemp I mean eight first down attempts on fourth down. Yeah, it got routine there for a minute, So it's routine to go for that.
Speaker 4: You go.
Speaker 5: That's high risk.
Speaker 3: A lot of old coaches are rolling in their grave saying, how in the world don't you kick a field goal there? You've got Richardson on his heels. You probably kick and get it back at your own forty You trust your kicker.
Speaker 5: Not today.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was confidence in the offense or lack of confidence.
Speaker 4: In the reverse. It was like, we don't know if we're going to get another chance. We got to go or chance?
Speaker 2: Is that good?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Because when you get a turnover or which essentially was like a turnover from Agnew, you want to take advantage of it and make sure you get something out of it so you can easily see kicking.
Speaker 3: That's the way do Peterson believes, no doubt he is going to go for it on the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, we don't mind. And nobody in Jacksonville mindset anymore because they're confident in it too. And like I was alright with the fourth and two because I was pretty confident they can get two yards all the time, even though it wasn't easy.
Speaker 5: Yesterday.
Speaker 3: Now I confess that I turned to Cassi, this is the wrong move. But again, unfortunately they have me far far away from.
Speaker 4: All right, let's get over bred.
Speaker 1: I know you talked a little bit about the secondary and what they were able to do. We saw Cisco force a fumble and then also Tyson Campbell's interception. We think he's going to have a big year and I know some sports down anyway, right so it because it wouldn't have mattered. But this interception here from him and what we were able to see the defense as a whole, they really kind of save the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought secondary was terrific. Again, this is not the most explosive offense in the NFL, especially on the outside, but they did their job. This was a huge play. Again, this is what you do when you win in the fourth quarter. You put the game away with a play like this. Tyson said he tried to bait them a little bit and good ball skills. John. This is one of my favorite guys that I've covered in fifteen years here in Jacksonville. Really good game, because though you could see the maturation of them, the first half of his rookie season wasn't pretty. Heck, the first half of last year, everybody's wondering if he's gonna get his head turned around on ball so he can make interceptions. Nobody's asking that anymore. And I haven't looked this up yet, but if you go back probably to the last i'd say eight games of last year and now this one, you're starting to see Tyson Campbell make big plays, get his hands on the football, forced fumbles, pick up fumbles, get interceptions. This kid's a good player.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: This is what you have to do when you're playing a young quarterback. And it was second and ten.
Speaker 5: All game.
Speaker 3: It looked to me like the Colts smartly kept Richardson in situations where he was over his feet. I like to say, didn't have to do things he didn't want to do. Of a sudden, for the first time you're down, you're down by what.
Speaker 5: Was it four or three?
Speaker 3: Well, now, all of a sudden, it's not as applicable to take the short pass. He goes downfield into a defense that he doesn't want to throw into, and finally they get the pick off of him and turn the game. That's what the reason you think you're gonna beat rookie quarterbacks is because it plays like that, and the Jaguars.
Speaker 1: Got it, and you have to take advantage when given that opportunity.
Speaker 4: And it absolutely did.
Speaker 5: And a big time played by Tyson.
Speaker 3: Mean, oh, for sure, he has turned himself in in his third year. He's now a veteran corner and one of the core guys on this franchise.
Speaker 1: We're gonna end things with that clincher for us. Etn, who we just talked about, had that quite a great day. This last play was not quiet from him to bounce on the outside and just find open space.
Speaker 4: John, did we think he could do this?
Speaker 1: I know we've been talking about Tank a little bit, and we did talk about Etn, but just what he's been able to do this season so far and even in preseason like the Flashes.
Speaker 3: Well, this was impressive because remember last year I must have asked him to or three different times during the season in locker room he would get so close to taking to the house, and now all of a sudden he goes the whole game where he didn't, and then when the opportunity is there, calmly finds the whole and then accelerates right there. I mean, I thought this because you felt like it was about to be over anyway, Brings they were gonna kick a field goal.
Speaker 5: Maybe this play gets lost a little bit.
Speaker 3: I thought that was an impressive run. It's the kind of run that gets backs to the numbers they want, because all of a sudden, you've had a game where he had what fifty, and he has one twenty six yard run and at seventy and now you're on pace to do what you want to do. Those are important to those guys, not that day, but on Tuesday instead of look at their numbers. Yeah, those matters.
Speaker 5: So now he's got seventy and a touchdown.
Speaker 3: Again, I overlooked it a little bit because I like the way that Bagsby was playing so much in the preseason. You didn't see Travis a whole lot. Uh bad on me for forgetting how good this kid is.
Speaker 2: Nobody's coming out of this game thinking, wow, Jags, they're running attack is unbelievable. But to the biggest place it's gonna be, to the biggest plays in the game where the runs again Bigsby down to the one yard line and then Etn finishing it off. And listen, he's got special, special talent and he also knows how to take it. Nobody's gonna give him enough credit for how tough is a tough dude he keeps getting hit hard.
Speaker 3: The biggest it's the biggest surprise about him that I didn't know come out of college last year was a rookie seven eight different times. This kid runs hard. Credit to Doug and and Press.
Speaker 5: Everybody.
Speaker 3: Everybody in the league knows that you have to stick with the run to make it work. Sometimes guys go away from it. I was getting emails from fans all day saying, what.
Speaker 5: Are they doing? Guts.
Speaker 3: If you don't keep doing it, you don't get plays like they did at the end. It takes veteran patience and maturities at play caller to stick with it when it's not worth.
Speaker 2: Let me add one thing there, And you were gonna said, because I'm picking on the offensive line, I think they had to stay with the run to keep them honest a little bit, because they were getting beat up front of times.
Speaker 5: I do not want to be in the locker room when you walk in with the offensive linemen this season.
Speaker 4: Those are big men. They are not gonna We've got.
Speaker 5: To be old negative, Brent.
Speaker 4: How dare you all right coming back?
Speaker 1: We got our hot takes, hot hot takes, stay with us on Jagsam Jags fans. You could send up your furry friend for Jaguars Official four Legged Fan Club for Pets, presented by Forever BET's Animal Hospital. Your pet will receive access to exclusive merchandise, events and sweepstakes throughout the twenty twenty three season. Is the Jaguars dot Com Slash Promotions Slash four Legged Fan Club. To sign up today, all right, we're doing hot takes here. We're gonna start off with John. We're going mild to hot around this around this couch here.
Speaker 4: So John, you go first. What was your hot take today?
Speaker 5: Hooray for me, you know, and.
Speaker 4: You know, some people like mild wings. That's just the way it works.
Speaker 5: It's okay to.
Speaker 3: Went that way in week one, and I you know, beyond that, I know we've talked about a lot. I actually thought they did a nice job of managing their situations, considering there was some sloppiness.
Speaker 5: I didn't feel like they panicked.
Speaker 3: They did a nice job in the first half of when they had to grind it out. They grinded it out and had a fourteen to seven lead and were a smidge away from having that thing being a ten point game at half, which I think would have changed the dynamic in the second half, so I thought they managed that well.
Speaker 5: And then to stay calm in the fourth quarter when.
Speaker 3: You're frustrated already because you're playing this Guest Bradley defense that really doesn't let you take the shots and get it. And then all of a sudden, with the offense almost flucially, now you're down by four and you could have easily gotten frustrated. Let it get out of hand, and they come back in the fourth quarter and do it everybody thought they would do all along, and the game. It's been a theme all day for me. I think I think it was. It was a professional win. It got him and guess what we're complaining about a team.
Speaker 5: It's all in first place.
Speaker 4: I love it. Win's a win. I'm fine with the ten. All right, Brent, what.
Speaker 1: Do you got, by the way, Defensive Player of the Year, Josh.
Speaker 4: Allen, Right, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Why not? Remember kalay Is Campbell in twenty seventeen and four and a half sacks against Houston to start the year as a monster game. He ended up being in the Defensive Player of the Year running the entire way. It was debatable he didn't end up winning it. Josh Is on a mission Josh had three sacks, three tackle for loss. It was ten tackles. He has a chance now, because of a start like that, to really stack up numbers.
Speaker 4: T J.
Speaker 2: Watt also had a hat trick. Obviously, he's a perennial part of this conversation. The one thing about Josh Allen now is can he be consistent? Because that's the thing. He's had monster games for Buffalo a couple of years back and then it fell off the table. Can he be consistent? But this has been brewing last year. You look at all the metrics, all the numbers, and he said this year to us in the preseason, got to hit the layups, gotta hit the layups. Well, he hit the layups yesterday. He's got three sacks. He is off to a terrific start. He's got the capability and talent to be able to do it. So what the heck? I've been all in on Josh's entire career. I'm going all in right now. Defensive player of the Year, Josh Allen.
Speaker 3: How about that one thing about Josh too? What he gives you that gets lost? And I get that it's a sacks game even when he doesn't get sacks.
Speaker 5: He's really good against the run and for an edge rusher.
Speaker 3: A lot of times you don't get that it's either sacks or nothing. He's a force and a strength when he's not quite hitting the layups. So I guess my point is he never hurts you. True, it's just a matter of how much he helps you. And I think they have two outside backs like that the way I think Trayvon's basically the same guy. Even if he's not getting sacks. They're stout on the edges because of those guys, and that's not nothing.
Speaker 2: The play that your remember, yes, or actually is the tackle for loss Yes when Josh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think arguably might have been his best. I know it sacks in the game, but tackle for loss was huge. You inspired me. You know, I didn't know what I was gonna do for.
Speaker 4: My hot takes.
Speaker 1: He is inspirational, he is, so you know what, I'm gonna double down. And I don't disagree with you about Josh having a good year, but I think it's gonna benefit Trayvon. And I say that because I feel like Josh having these numbers out of the gate and doing what is best for the team, which is what Josh will ultimately do will end up benefiting Trayon on the other side of the ball because when people game plan for Josh from Trayvon will get the remnants of that, and I think he's gonna end up with more sacks than we expect. I do expect that second year jump from Trayon. I'm going all in and pushing the chips in. This is the hottest hot takes. I think Trayvon's gonna have more sex than Josh this year.
Speaker 2: Well, here's a deal too on that. I believe this defense is better and Josh and Trayvon and those guys are going to get more production because they'll play with the lean more because of the offense being so good. That's what gives me more faith in the Jaguars defense and a lot of folks out there. They didn't do that yesterday but now.
Speaker 1: And they still had the stats, which's impressed.
Speaker 2: SAE will more throughout the seasonere you're gonna be up two touchdowns or more of that late game scenario we saw where you can go clean up some yanbe ones.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be huge. Also, it seemed to me the Colts, even though they got four Richardson's not that easy to sack because they, to me, clearly had a game plan of getting the ball out of his hands and not wanting him to take them. So it'll be interesting to me to see how they do when they're a playing.
Speaker 5: A less mobile quarterback where the teams.
Speaker 3: Are not so focused on let's not get this guy in bad situation, ory're playing in a normal offense with a lead. Then you might really see what this team can do in terms of sacks.
Speaker 2: A tough guy to sack comes into town this week in Patrick Marley, Yes he does.
Speaker 1: We'll have to see how things go with that. Stay with us coming up after the can we go inside the locker room? We hear it Don Peterson's postgame speech. Jags fans, if you want customized Jaguars furniture for your home, checkout zipchair dot com to browse all customizable options.
Speaker 4: Zip Chair is furniture for fans.
Speaker 2: Hey you.
Speaker 6: Hell yeah. One thing I know and I appreciate about you guys. It's four quarters, man, it's four quarters, and these games I don't care if they're division opponents or not.
Speaker 7: You understand what we talk about.
Speaker 6: You're learning and we learned last year, how to finish and how to win games, how to go take games.
Speaker 5: Okay, to and that's it. That's crucial right there. That's big.
Speaker 6: That's big moving forward.
Speaker 5: That's an AFC South game.
Speaker 7: That's a win on the road, which we haven't done in a while here, which is congratulations.
Speaker 6: And guys, it took all three phases, did it not?
Speaker 5: Eggs.
Speaker 6: We had a great kickoff return, You need to take aways, a goal line stop, and then offensively, offensively, we just figured it out. We just stayed with the plan and we just figured it out and we got.
Speaker 5: In the ends of TJ.
Speaker 6: Now, if I'm round to events, let's go from here.
Speaker 7: Let's learn from it. Okay, let's learn from it. Let's clean it up. I know it's weak one, but let's clean up the mistakes. Let's get ready for a tough, physical home football game next weekend. But before that, let's celebrate. Hey, we gotta get one before we break it down? Ready, one, two three, bring.
Speaker 5: It right ring up, right up?
Speaker 7: Great job, fellas, wait to find a way wan to know we're on to the next, On to the next, guys on three, one, two three.
Speaker 4: When is a win?
Speaker 1: The teams want to know Doug said in the middle there they figured it out.
Speaker 4: Wasn't what they.
Speaker 1: Planned for, but they finished strong, and you know, sometimes that's the way things get.
Speaker 4: What are you, guys, bost looking forward to to see out of them in week two? Is it consistency or a little bit.
Speaker 3: Of Well, it's the Chiefs, I mean, it's it's there's there's some benchmark games. You know, I'm not gonna pick this because we have all week. I'm not gonna say that I have it as nailed as I did last week's Brent, but you got through the you know, when I covered with the Colts, Peyton Manning used to talk all the time that when he was a rookie, Jim Moore, of the coach who'd been around forever, emphasized with him, it's really hard to win in this league. Don't take these for granted. I'll bet Doug's had some hong the lines to a couple of players yesterday because it's hard to win. They won, they got through it, and now you can sort of relaxed and play a game where you measure yourself a little bit. But this team to get to where it needs to go, they have to win games this year consistently like the one they had yesterday, and then knock off a few of the elites, and then that'll put him in a situation where they can play for seeding at the end of the season.
Speaker 2: Any chance I get, I just continue to rave about Doug Peterson. The job he's done second half of last year into this year already, it's unbelievable and it shouldn't be dismissed and it should never be taken for granted because it's unreal how quick he's flipped this franchise, the mentality, the expectations, and it's happened in Jacksonville like it is happening right in front of us, like everything you want to happen, the growth of the quarterback, the franchise quarterback, this team believes they're good, and this place is going to be rocking on Sunday, sold out crowd, everything. I don't know who it's bigger for Doug, Trevor the fans. Yeah, but you have a chance now to go to two and zero. Case he would be going too, So all those things that you're talking about.
Speaker 3: It actually got a two and a half game leader. The thing champs. If you win this one, it's big on that front, Dug. To your point, this feels Brent for the first time since you and I have been around it together for twelve years. It feels like an established franchise. He to me is the biggest reason that's true.
Speaker 1: It's a lot easier to go with the flow when you're happy with the captain of the ship, at least in my experience. So dougle lead the way as we get ready for Chiefs Week coming up.
Speaker 4: We're happy we're one to zero going into week two. See on Jags. I am here on Wednesday.