Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Hey there, everybody, and welcome to Morning Run.
Speaker 2: It is Friday, August seventh.
Speaker 3: I'm Amy Robots and I'm TJ Holmes. What's the what's the good news this morning? What's uh? What are we looking forward to? What should everybody be looking forward to? That just we're just getting started and a lot of stories are just heavy, from outbreaks to school shootings to politics. What's the good news?
Speaker 2: I guess we can all go out and get our Powerball tickets.
Speaker 3: And then we're all gonna lose tomorrow. I said the good news.
Speaker 2: Hope is a good thing.
Speaker 1: The thought of something exciting is a good thing.
Speaker 2: And look, it is the weekend. We get to spend time with our family and our friends.
Speaker 1: We can sleep in a little and it's nice and warm and muggy, just like you like it outside.
Speaker 3: You know some people do. You said that was good news? You get to spend time with their family. You know how a lot of people reacted when you said that. But yes, I was hoped. Maybe we should start on Friday's doing the whole the show in reverse and starting with just good news at the top, or maybe we just do good news Fridays. It's nothing but upbeat stuff. This crap is heavy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a heavy day.
Speaker 3: It is a heavy day. So yes, good morning to you on this Friday. We are going to be making a number of stocks today, including in the Oval Office, mcastop in Kentucky and Bangkok in Michigan, Massachusetts, North Carolina. Also the Strait of Horror moves. But like I said, Robes, it was a kind of a heavy news morning, as it often can be. And we have still a breaking and developing story coming to us, a school shooting, Robes, but not in the US.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we wouldn't normally cover an international school shooting necessarily.
Speaker 2: But this one rises to the level.
Speaker 1: We're talking about a ninth grade student in Thailand who shot and killed his grandparents at home and then went to his high school and killed several more people. This all happened this morning just outside of Bangkok. Local authority say three teachers and three students were killed before the shooter.
Speaker 2: Then took his own life. Again, we're talking about a ninth grader.
Speaker 1: What is that fourteen fifteen years old, and right now there is no known motive.
Speaker 3: Again, we see these headlines We're used to them in the US so oftentimes unfortunately, but this is the second one they've had in Thailand this year. One was in the southern part of the country. One student was excuse me when teacher was killed in that one. But it's just frankly, to see a school shooting outside the US feels very rare.
Speaker 1: It does, thankfully, but unfortunately this one is of note.
Speaker 3: All right, continuing on the run here now, no lettuce, no eggs, no jalapenos.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, folks, it's not just the lettuce you need to watch out for. We need to tell you about the eggs and the jalapenos. A couple of salmonella outbreaks we're keeping an eye on, in addition to the ongoing cyclospora outbreak. Now we're gonna give you updates on everything, but the one at the bottom will be the cyclo spora outbreaking. Would you believe there is some good news report on that.
Speaker 2: We should have started with that? Then?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I did this all right?
Speaker 2: Let us again.
Speaker 3: What's the right way to do it, babe, because we do in news always the end of the show, you put a kicker, you want to end with something light.
Speaker 2: I do think that's the best way to go to start with light.
Speaker 1: Needa palate cleanser at the end of the end, and that's why we end up usually we know, we always end the morning run with an inspirational quote, and this one is lighthearted as promised, so it will get better.
Speaker 3: So that's why I did the bad news salmonella to get to the good news.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that that's what it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if someone ever says to you, do you want the good news or the bad news?
Speaker 2: I always want the bad news.
Speaker 3: Everybody does.
Speaker 1: So that's why we stack our show the way we do, and pretty much every other network.
Speaker 2: Does the same.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's not the way we should. You want the good news of bad you know what, Give me the good news.
Speaker 2: No, I want the bad news first.
Speaker 1: I want to break and then have something to be excited about. All right, So let's still talk about the salmonella outbreak that's sickened at least three hundred and forty five people in twenty seven states. This This one linked yes to jalepenos from a plant in Mexico, and those jalapanos were served at Chipotle restaurants, along with some others as well, but most of these cases linked to that outbreak, that salmonella outbreak are in Minnesota and Colorado.
Speaker 3: But and my best DJ. Khaled voice, we got another one, another salmonella outbreak. This one's tied to recalled eggs. It's second ninety eight people, twenty six hospitalizations in seventeen states. This is CDC reporting, so it's probably a little behind, we should say. The eggs in this one are from a plant in Texas, and many of the one point five million cartons robes they believe could still be in people's refrigerators. This is one you need to keep an eye on.
Speaker 1: Yikes, all right, but yes, now to the aforementioned good news. Michigan has lifted it's lettuce warning. The state has been the epicenter of the cyclospora outbreak, currently reporting more than twelve thousand cases, but the state says the hasive cases has slowed to the point they are now saying that people can resume their normal lettuce eating habits. Look, I've continued to let us through out.
Speaker 2: I've just my lettuce. I've gone to restaurants and ordered lettuce watched. And you are a salad eater.
Speaker 1: I think you had your first salad out yesterday.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, lunch at lunch.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that's the first one you've had in weeks.
Speaker 3: Yes, because YouTube been ordering salad's like crazy. It ever fine, all right, we'll continue on the run here. Now, let's head to d C, where doctor Anthony Fauci has officially been held in contempt of Congress by a Senate committee that voted for that yesterday. They did this, of course, after his appearance last week at a Senate hearing in which he refused to answer questions repeatedly took the fifth. They have an exact number. They say. It's one hundred and eleven times. He led the fifth last week.
Speaker 2: That's a lucky number. It's like an angel number is one one.
Speaker 3: The rest of this, I'm going to look at it. You like angel numbers, I.
Speaker 1: Do like angel numbers. One hundred and eleven times. That's one of my favorites too, all right. Committee chair Senator Rand Paul suggested Fauci does not have the right to plead the fifth because he was already given a pardon by President Biden. So what happens now, Well, normally the contempt resolution would go to the full Senate for a vote, but they don't have the votes to go to the full Senate, so instead, Senator Paul says he is going to send the committee's recommendation directly to the Justice Department for possible criminal prosecution.
Speaker 2: Of doctor Fauci. Wow, did not know you could circumvent that.
Speaker 3: They actually say, you can't. Okay, that would.
Speaker 2: Seem really, really wildly not legal.
Speaker 3: The breaking members said it. This is not how we you, mister chairman.
Speaker 2: To skip a step.
Speaker 3: Don't get to speak for the entire Senate. Yeah I do, that's his thing. But don't worry. Anthony Fauci has nothing to worry about because one one one the angel number means. It represents a fresh start in your life or the beginning of a new chapter. It also means that you are ready to let go of your past hurts and embark on your healing journey.
Speaker 1: Maybe fat he's gonna be fine, that's right, see, and he's getting a fresh start after all of this.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be good.
Speaker 2: Aired it all out, all right.
Speaker 3: We need this.
Speaker 2: Some numbers are real.
Speaker 3: We need some angel numbers over the straight. Oh horror moves right now as we continue on the run here now with a deal, we're told to open the strait is very close. That is coming from Iran, though, which has been in negotiations with Oman on a plan to reopen the vital shipping route. If you're not that familiar with the map over there, Iran sits on one side of the Straight of Horror moves. Oman sits on the other side. So they are the two that are working out some deal to open up the strait.
Speaker 1: Yes, so this reported deal would establish roots for ships to enter and to exit, and yes, there would possibly be some fees associated with that. The proposed deal would also ban US and Israeli ships.
Speaker 2: From passing through the strait.
Speaker 3: A bit hilarious.
Speaker 1: This is gonna get even uglier. And what did Trump say that the strait is sort of open?
Speaker 3: He said that is that?
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: Because there's still a block a in place.
Speaker 1: Is probably the best way to describe it.
Speaker 3: It's barely open. Negs up on the run. We'll stay with the president. He is taking another shot at birthright citizenship robes. He signed a couple of executive orders aimed at cutting down on birth tourism. In one order, he says he's going to place limits on who's eligible to become a citizen after being born in the US.
Speaker 1: Uh okay, So he's going to rewrite the constitution. Then the other would put more restrictions on who gets a visa to visit the US. The Supreme Court struck down the president's previous order on birthright citizenship, but he swears this time it's different. I don't quite understand how it will be.
Speaker 3: But wasn't his first birthright citizenship executive order? Wasn't it on day one?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? On day one?
Speaker 3: He is he is on this yes, continue on the run here now missing Mitch McConnell ain't missing anymore. He is out of rehab, he says, and he's going to be home for the first time in nearly two months. Robes, the Kentucky Center, of course, took a fall in June, June fourteenth. I think it was that led to his lengthy hospitalization. Robes. That's that's a couple of months.
Speaker 2: That's a long time, long time to be in rehabit. That's right.
Speaker 1: We saw the picture you saw of him smiling with Elane show his wife next to him.
Speaker 2: Stop it was hilarious.
Speaker 3: They have got to stop.
Speaker 1: It all staged and like the permegrants on both of them.
Speaker 3: It stopped.
Speaker 2: We're good. See look at us, proof of life.
Speaker 1: It also led to speculation and rumor about his condition, which his office was not forthcoming about.
Speaker 2: And so now, yes, now we get the proof of life photos.
Speaker 1: The eighty four year old Republican says he will continue recovery at home.
Speaker 2: Didn't say when he's going to return to work. Yeah, the sunate goes into recess, I believe after today. No, they're in recess now, right.
Speaker 3: They have at least a month that might be yes when.
Speaker 2: They come back. So they got a nice long break where.
Speaker 3: He might it's got time to recover before he have to go back to work. So suddenly hope he's okay. But at eighty four years old taking a fall that had to be a nasty one.
Speaker 2: That's sometimes life ending when you fall at that age.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll continue here on the run now, and he he is facing domestic abuse allegations, a House ethics investigation, and now more Republicans are calling for Max Miller to step aside and ropes everything. Max Miller said he ain't going anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, The Ohio Republican has vowed he will stay in the race despite the fact that at least three women, including his ex wife, have made domestic assault allegations against him.
Speaker 2: Miller's ex father in law.
Speaker 1: Ohio Senator Bernie Moreno has already said Miller is not fit to serve. Well, he now says he's actually sent his daughter and granddaughter out of town to a secure place until he feels it's safe for them to return.
Speaker 3: Well, that is a very big statement, Yes, it is. I mean that the impression that gives.
Speaker 2: That this gun is dangerous.
Speaker 3: It's a threat. And I think he Moreno said he sent his wife, his daughter and granddaughter he had to see, send the three most important females in his life out of town to get away from a guy that robes. That is a damning statement.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: The other Ohio Senator John Husted also said the right thing for Miller to do is to get out of the race. But isn't it too late already for him to be replaced on the ballot.
Speaker 3: There's some weird that's the next week thing they have now they pushed it, all right, Continuing on the run here, now, let's turn to the Lindsay Clancy trial. Full day of testimony yesterday, the Massachusetts mom says her postpartum psychosis is to blame for the strangling deaths of her three young children. Another robes emotional start. I mean, we can just expect this, and again, this is a trial that is being live stream, so just every day it is emotion, no after emotion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it can be very gutting to watch. But for the jurors and for Lindsay Clancy. When the state medical examiner was on the stand and went over the autopsy of eight month old Callen, they actually had the jury look at those autopsy photos. You could see and hear Lindsay Clancy sobbing. Jurors were wiping tears from their eyes with tissues they had to take a recess.
Speaker 3: Okay, you have to tell me what was the point, Like, what does it like from an evidentiar area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're they're establishing the fact that this little eight month old was strangled. Yeah, I know, but they want to show the brutality, the reality of what she did. I guess to have it really sit with the jurors. That's the intention of the prosecution, but to.
Speaker 3: Get them upset at her. Yes, But right now it feels like it's just upsetting everybody, it's awful.
Speaker 2: It's awful.
Speaker 1: And then we heard from the Clancy family, pediatrician, the preschool teacher all spoke about not noticing any changes in lindsay how wonderful the kids were.
Speaker 2: Former coworkers, friends all.
Speaker 1: Testified basically that they saw she was tired and maybe anxious, that she had complained of brain fog, but that she they had no concerns about her harming herself or her children. Father in law, kid's grandfather also testified, said that she was a good mom, described them as an all American family, again establishing that she was operating normally, although tired and maybe anxious. The judge then actually excused the jury earlier than expected. There was a hearing about whether the defense can call certain witnesses. They're already prepping for the defense now because the prosecution says it could rest its case as soon as Monday or.
Speaker 3: Tuesday, and that would be two weeks essentially into the trial that they originally said could go a month and a half. Two months they had.
Speaker 1: A schedule, it seems, but there's a lot of controversy about what the defense is going to be bringing into evidence, who they're going to be putting on the stand how the prosecution is.
Speaker 2: Going to refute, because this is going to be key.
Speaker 1: Their expert witnesses are going to be taking the stand refuting what the prosecution's expert witnesses have said. So it's going to be interesting. We're going to have a full and detailed rapt.
Speaker 3: We almost at it now.
Speaker 1: We're just so intot you know what though, It's true because we've been so into this case, but I actually left out some key points that I that we actually need to discuss because there were suggestions by both the grandfather and a police officer who took the stand that Lindsay had issues with specifically her middle son, Dawson. We'll get into that in the next episode, so look for that on your feed, all.
Speaker 3: Right, both. We'll stay with us though on this Friday morning run when we come back, the newly crowned Miss North Carolina is now the newly decrowned Miss North Carolina. We will explain also explain why Meta, the parent company on Instagram and Facebook, facing a half billion dollar fine, but all they have to do is win this weekend's Powerball. They should be able to cover that.
Speaker 1: Just fine. Welcome back everyone to your Friday morning run and while she'd only been Missed North Carolina for a month, Yeah, Britney Bolton House is no longer. She has lost her crown. She has been dethroned, as they say.
Speaker 3: Pageant organizers released a statement saying she had not lived up to the standards and values of a title holder, and without getting into specifics, said the organization doesn't tolerate quote, racism, homophobia, transphobia, ropes. It was a long statement that didn't well, it's said a lot without saying what we were all waiting to hear.
Speaker 1: Yes, we didn't get the details, but a North Carolina news organization did publish some old social media posts attributed to her where she casually frequently over a several year period just used the N word as basically just in her regular speech.
Speaker 3: Part of her vocabulary. Period point.
Speaker 1: And she is not black, she is Latina, and she is no longer missed North Carolina. So the runner up, first runner up, Mala Hadley, who is black, by the way, will now be presenting the state of North Carolina and the Miss USA pageant in less than three weeks.
Speaker 3: I'm watching, I am too, and I have a favorite besides whoever Miss Arkansas is is going to be Miss Maya Mala Hadley from the North. I'm rooting for because no matter what, folks are going to think, she's only there because somebody else fell out, so she didn't really earn it. The number of famous cases in this world robes where somebody got something became famous from it and it wasn't They weren't the first choice. It's okay, this is how opportunity comes. And I hope she embraces it, and I hope she does well, and I would even say I hope she wins it. We'll watch it.
Speaker 1: It's a Thursday, August twenty seventh, eight pm.
Speaker 3: I will watch for her now.
Speaker 2: To be quite honest, I agree all right.
Speaker 1: Next up on the Run, the parent company of Instagram and Facebook has been ordered to pay an enormous fine five hundred and sixty seven million dollars. It's part of a landmark trial which a jury has already determined Mark Zuckerberg's company Meta should pay three hundred and seventy five million for business practices that harmed children's mental health.
Speaker 3: So the judge went further and tack this on to that, and he imposed this fine which will mostly go to he says, treating kids who've been harmed by social media. Now meta is they are appealing this judgment, of course. But this is a big deal, Robes. There are so many lawsuits out there, individual lawsuits, parents who've lost kids to suicide. Robes. This is we should pay attention. This is going to lead to probably significant changes in social media and how it's used.
Speaker 1: And I think for the better if there are more practices and more boundaries put in place to prevent kids from accessing materials that encourage or even instruct how to harm themselves.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, who isn't here for that? All right?
Speaker 1: Next up on the run, the powerball drawing is tomorrow night. We have not gotten our new ticket, but we're going to today, Babe, when we go out for lunch, we're getting our lottery ticket because it's up to eight hundred and fifty six million.
Speaker 3: Bucks three hundred and seventy million. If you want to take the cash option, you'll have even more cash. If you live in Texas, Florida, Tennessee, WI. You know you stay a zona that don't have income tax date income tax Still as big as this number is, Robe, we've seen so many big jackpots in the past. It's going up to almost ten years since they changed the rules. But this was not even in barely cracking the top fifteen of all time jackpots. But still we'll take it. Yes, we'll take We're getting to the point now where I had to have to see a billion before I started getting into You're.
Speaker 1: Hilarious all right on this Friday our quote of the day, babe, This one is for you. This quote made me think of you. It was fun, but also it also is a good thing to think about. Conversation would be vastly improved by the constant use of four simple works.
Speaker 2: I do not know.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I thought you were gonna say, I do not care.
Speaker 2: No, that's a terrible thing to say to somebody.
Speaker 3: It's uh, this, Well, it's okay. We can say I do this with you all the time, all the time. It's okay. I'll ask you a question of something and you will give me a full minute answer, and then I have to say, so, you don't know, that's true.
Speaker 1: It's like I have this, and I think a lot of us are in this camp where you have this need or this desire to somehow give someone an answer, even if you don't fully have it.
Speaker 2: Why what are you trying to prove?
Speaker 1: Okay, and actually if you just acknowledge you don't know, things get a lot simpler, a lot quicker.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to go back to your Diane Sawyer story that no is a full sentence, right, she said, Yes, you just said you want to be able to give someone an answer to their question, I don't know? Is an answer.
Speaker 1: Correct, and it's an honest answer, And it's actually re rushing. We're all trying to prove we know something even if we don't, and that does go back to ego. So I love this conversation would be vastly improved by the constant use of four simple words, I do not know. I have been trying to put this into practice, and it's interesting how empowering it actually is.
Speaker 2: It's the opposite of it.
Speaker 1: Like you're trying in when you're trying to explain something, or you're trying to give an answer to something you don't really fully grasp. It's it's it's anxiety inducing. Just if you just say I don't know, it's actually so empowering, you.
Speaker 3: Know, it feels even better than one I go with. Is I just no fucking clue. I say it all the clup and let's move on.
Speaker 2: It is awesome.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like, all of a sudden, the responsibility of trying to figure something out. You're just like, wait, I just don't know, and it's okay that I don't know. I don't know, but I do know we're going to have fun today.
Speaker 2: I do know. Today's going to be a great day no matter what.
Speaker 1: And without everyone, we hope you have a wonderful Friday. Thank you for running with us.
Speaker 2: I'm adey robots.
Speaker 3: Wonderful day, huh, I do not know, And with that we appreciate its always. We'll run with you soon, folks,