Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break? Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 5: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Tuesday, December third, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number seventy eight. Welcome to the latest edition All the Raak Live from that s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, presented by LG. LG is the world's number one o ed TV brand for eleven years in counting See why at LG dot Com Forward slash o ed evo, and once again, Brian is dressed in LSU gear.
Speaker 3: We're going to keep this one.
Speaker 6: We're gonna see just how many days we can roll in a row with LSU gear before he decides to go with something else, maybe a Texas hoody.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: We'll see time.
Speaker 7: I got to burn orange shirt, I can wear you gotta what I gotta burn orange shirt.
Speaker 8: I can wark see you rock a texta shirt once or twice I.
Speaker 4: Did because of that, because of Yeah.
Speaker 3: Give us a little love. You know, we're in the championship game.
Speaker 7: I would give you some love if you get a microphone that work. Here, Derek Ian, what the heck is.
Speaker 2: Going on here?
Speaker 6: Changing the subject, I'm not talking about our tilet our stuff that's broken.
Speaker 3: Did you just break it?
Speaker 4: I think I just broke it.
Speaker 3: Oh you just broke it.
Speaker 7: Oh you just We're a ten billion dollar company and I just broke it.
Speaker 4: I just broke this thing.
Speaker 3: Oh man, Okay, anyway, I we gotta hold it.
Speaker 8: The whole show beam is gonna come strike you.
Speaker 3: Over the head.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 4: I think the sink stripped.
Speaker 3: No, I agree. I think it's broken. I saw it. I think it's broken. You might just have to hold it there, prop it up on something.
Speaker 4: Hi, how's it going? Guys on in this corner?
Speaker 8: Fighting out of the blue corner.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. Actually, I wanted to end here today.
Speaker 4: You want to hold this mic while I do my segment to ask you questions?
Speaker 6: Right in the first segment today, I do want to Uh, we didn't get a chance.
Speaker 3: We went to the Whole Show yesterday.
Speaker 6: Did we talk about the game and didn't even get to the defensive side of the ball, which I think was probably the story of the game. As you mentioned, Nick uh. So, we're going to talk a little bit about the defense here in the first segment. Then we'll get inside the brain of Brian brought us in the second segment. He should have lots of questions for us, and then we'll try to get to some fan questions in the third. We have a couple I've already rolled in. If you want to send me some you can hit me on Twitter. You can also call us eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. It'd be good to hear from you, guys. We haven't heard from you in a while, so hopefully we'll get a call or two there in the final segment. Let's start first, though, with the defensive side of the ball. Just as big picture obviously demarve on Overshown. We know he was remarkable in that game. Aside from him, what stood out to you most about this defensive performance?
Speaker 10: Can I mention one quick thing about Overshown? Absolutely, just because we've been talking about it on this show quite a bit and Mike McCarthy mentioned it yesterday.
Speaker 8: I think it'll excite everybody in this room.
Speaker 4: Zero.
Speaker 10: He's like, yeah, that that morning, Jared, it was great to hear that in the public.
Speaker 8: It was great to hear.
Speaker 3: You've heard that story. I've heard that story, but it's.
Speaker 10: Great to hear that out in the public now that I can share it with other people.
Speaker 4: No, I did not.
Speaker 7: I was listening to him coming in and was it one of the final questions.
Speaker 10: He told the water gun rowdy story, okay, and the rowdy van at a specific ye gentleman's place, Yeah, story.
Speaker 6: And his answer being like the best dance I've ever heard anybody give Jerry. When Jerry's like, hey man, we're having all these issues right now, like you need to you need to calm it down, figure out how to do the job right. And his response was, Now he's sitting there in his regular gear like us regular clothes, and his response is, I'll tell Rowdy.
Speaker 3: I'll let Rowdy know. That's what he told Rowdy.
Speaker 6: That's that's what that's what the guy that played Rowdy told Jerry.
Speaker 3: And we all know him.
Speaker 6: He's a great guy, but he is a quality He's a great guy, but hilarious, Like I thought that was the best and Jerry said, I actually appreciate there's like you know, you're discipline your kids. I was always like, if you can make me laugh, you might get out of.
Speaker 7: Truck, and like, you know, can you I don't know if I can ask this question on air? Can you confirm or deny something for me? Rowdy at one time loses job and then tried it out as rowdy again and want it back.
Speaker 2: I cannot confirm or deny. Okay, I cannot.
Speaker 11: Exist.
Speaker 4: I was I've heard the tales.
Speaker 6: There's so many great stories, and I was surprised that Jerry went to air with those because I was like, I didn't know we were telling.
Speaker 4: People about that.
Speaker 7: I was probably if you know the guy there are there are even better stories than that.
Speaker 11: Also, which version of rowdy, because.
Speaker 6: Well, we know what we are, we know are this was the first rowdy I was ever changed. And he was awesome guy, but he was off the chain, like when Jerry says he appreciated his willingness to go all out to be great, like that's him, like.
Speaker 3: He would do anything. The last.
Speaker 4: This is this is pre Heidi.
Speaker 3: Those don't know that's our senior senior person.
Speaker 12: You want to chime in one of the all time. I found something out about Chris Well.
Speaker 8: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 13: I was.
Speaker 10: My roommate at training camp this year was the current rowdy. We had a great guys, guy guy, We had a great time.
Speaker 8: That's my dude.
Speaker 3: So yeah, shout to him. You're bringing me in this. What did you say you're bringing me into this? I just played rowdy before.
Speaker 11: Yeah, okay, I just wanted you to share the person.
Speaker 3: I've been in the suit before.
Speaker 8: What was it for?
Speaker 10: He double booked an appearance at an Albersons.
Speaker 4: I had to go sign autograph.
Speaker 3: It wasn't at that gentleman's club.
Speaker 6: No, it was a and Alvin Sins and like South Oak Cliff.
Speaker 8: Do you have to learn how to like sign this?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you. I'll tell you one thing. Roy, Okay.
Speaker 7: Derek and I started the same time basically with the Colvioys nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay.
Speaker 7: We were in Wichita Falls early two thousands for training camp. It was the hottest I've ever been in my life. And I've lived in Texas the majority I'm from we're all from not you're not from here.
Speaker 3: And we're doing two a days at that day.
Speaker 4: So we're doing to it.
Speaker 7: It is like literally you're standing there and like there's not a dry so I mean, just standing there, you're.
Speaker 3: Just drinking like you just got out of a pool.
Speaker 7: My man rowdy, He's got full costume on, jumping around doing everything. I'm about to go down.
Speaker 4: From heat exhaustion just taking a knee watching practice.
Speaker 7: My man had on full rowdy suit, interacting with fans, jumping around, riding the scooter.
Speaker 4: He has Like, I'm like.
Speaker 7: That is the toughest dude at this camp right now. Who's ever in that suit is the toughest human being I've ever known. Because it was one hundred and eight hundred and ten every day, every day we practice, and he would and two days, two day practices out there, jumping around, interacting with fans.
Speaker 4: Not one time did he miss the day.
Speaker 6: And the interesting thing about that, this part that's really crazy is in wichitaf Falls, there was this one or actually two spots, but there was this one spot every night every you guys are gone to camp, but every night everybody.
Speaker 4: Everybody went to this one spot.
Speaker 6: It was the only spot in town where people could really hang out. And everybody goes there. He every night was the first one there, last one the league, and by the next one he was up in full costume.
Speaker 3: I'm ready to go, no doubt about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it would actually be a fascinating It would be like.
Speaker 3: A lot more comical. You had to make it funny.
Speaker 7: I think there would be a lot of those like the you know the shadow, but you hear the voice, you know it's actually.
Speaker 3: You said the shadow of Rowdy.
Speaker 4: Actual would be.
Speaker 3: Great talking explaining.
Speaker 4: Like us in shadows. Rowdy was one of my better friends.
Speaker 7: It was one night where Rowdy and I went out.
Speaker 8: He said, sorry, that was great.
Speaker 10: What Mike McCarthy had said yesterday and his press are about De Marvy and Overshown is that they need to line him up off the edge more and get him more pass rush opportunities.
Speaker 8: I was like, Hey, here we go. We made it.
Speaker 3: Listen to the break.
Speaker 8: We're here. We we have officially made it. On the Marvin Over came back to Rowdy.
Speaker 3: Talk nobody.
Speaker 4: Nobody, nobody wants to see Over so.
Speaker 10: Succeeds overall defensively, Aside from Overshown, I think I expected Tyrone Tracy to have more of an impact than he.
Speaker 4: Did that game.
Speaker 10: So I have to give credit to that defense for being able to limit him. You also have to look at Eric Hendricks. He had an awesome game on Thursday as well, ten tackles, He had another sack. He's starting to rack up some sacks, which is really interesting as well, had that forced fumble. I think if Overston's not on the field, I think Eric Kendricks is a guy we're talking about coming out of that game, just because of the impact he had. His veteran presence is I think slightly underrated when you talk about this defense and how they've been able to rebound over the course of the last few weeks. Yes, we talk about Micah coming back from injury. Yes we could talk about guys like Jordan Lewis to Marvin Overshow him being these dogs on defense. But Eric Hendricks is a leader of that group right now, and credit's got to be given to fifty.
Speaker 8: I think he's done a really good job so far.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I tell you what, another Division game and another elevation we're playing. Well was Mazzie Smith, you know, and so you have to if he could just keep doing that, you know, that's all they need to ask from him right now. Positive games, positive reinforcement. Let him get to the next one, and you know, hopefully he can he can find a way to be a bit of a force up front for you.
Speaker 12: Yeah, again, you got to be aware of who the last two opponents have been. But overall, I think the defense, they're starting to play faster and not being afraid to tackle and go for it. And I think it's when the linebackers have a good game, more often than not, the rest of your defense had a good game, So it's key. It's the linebacker group is such a key position for this defense. Obviously the pass rush there is important too, but the way that Zimmer is starting to manage this defense, you're starting to see some improvement. And I wish we could get a moment where we have all the players healthy and they're all your starters to actually get a good look of what this defense could have been, because now I'm still wondering. I'm like, Okay, do we want Zimmer back or not? And it's hard to judge when you've had so many defensive players, starters, key players out of the game due to injuries. So I don't know how you truly get a chance to judge what Zimmer has started to do or being able or not able to do this season so far.
Speaker 10: That's really by Barbara asked me the same question this morning. He's like, Zimmer back next year. I was like, that's going to be a really fun conversation.
Speaker 3: And I'll tell you this January.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, And I think in January that the conversation. If things keep going the way they're going, there's going to be an interesting conversation about Mike McCarthy as well.
Speaker 3: I know no one wants to hear.
Speaker 6: That, but I just thinking about how we've seen Jerry do things in the past. I think because of his level of optimism, if this thing keeps going to where they crack up some wins and they make this thing really interesting down the stretch, whether they get into the playoffs or not, Let's say that going from where they came from, Let's say they end up nine to eight and they only drop one game here before the end of the season, They're not going to be in the playoffs probably, But I think that does give Jerry something to think about, and I wonder if he's like, you know, this.
Speaker 3: Year we were racked.
Speaker 6: There are a lot of reasons why if you want to convince yourself that this is not about coaching, that this is about a lot of other things.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of the things you can point to.
Speaker 6: So I just think there's gonna be some very interesting conversations in January if this thing keeps continuing down this track, if.
Speaker 10: That were to happen, if McCarthy comes back, I see a reality where it's a two year deal. It doesn't want to be a one year deal. I don't think McCarthy wants to be on an expiring nor should it be. I don't think nor should it be. He doesn't want to answer the questions about expiring contracts anymore, and I don't think he should either. But it gives everybody one year to figure figure it out. And if McCarthy is is right for the long term future, for the rest of Dak's time in Dallas, because that's a that's immediately what you're going to be looking at when you're talking about the offense side of the ball. I don't see a reality right now though, where McCarthy is back without a different play caller.
Speaker 7: See that's what I'm saying that I could see that.
Speaker 8: I will give you a difference.
Speaker 7: I will consider giving you an extension if you change who is the primary and I like him, yeah, and if it's if it's shoddy or you know, going out and get one of these guys that are gonna get let go, or you steal somebody from somebody else. If we don't come to that agreement, then I'm gonna have to let you go. That's that's that's, that's my ultimatum to you. You're either gonna change the play caller and keep your job or you're not gonna do that, and you're gonna be looking like and I'll go interview somebody else, is what I'll do.
Speaker 6: So because that's the biggest problem right now, the biggest offense, you would say, right.
Speaker 7: Without a doubt, without a doubt, you know you, and you've got huge money tied up in your offense. Yep, you've got to figure You got now four more years of Dak Prescott, you know of You better figure that one out or that's gonna become real expensive for you to to have to deal with. And you better figure out something for your wide receiver too, you know, because he's gonna need he's gonna.
Speaker 4: Need some help as well.
Speaker 10: The assumption is that you're going to bring in one, maybe two backs this offseason as well. You want to be able to maximize what they can bring to the offense as young guys, you would you would assume. So yeah, it's that's another really fascinating conversation. This coaching staff. I don't think is as slam dunk like out of here, and I think as everyone thinks there is, can I just don't. I don't believe that. I really don't.
Speaker 7: I know, I got some questions coming up, but this wasn't one of my questions. So do you think Mike McCarthy wants to be back?
Speaker 4: Yes, is there a side of him that he knows the drill?
Speaker 7: But is he okay with the drill?
Speaker 8: I don't think he likes the media to be one.
Speaker 2: I don't think he is everyone.
Speaker 8: I don't think it's specifically the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: You don't think the Cowboys media exactly.
Speaker 10: What the what the national spotlight brings from this building. I don't think he's a different green Bay is a lot different. But last time I was in Green Bay was ninety five. But yeah, it's it's not.
Speaker 6: Even from a national because I think the one of theranchises that gets a lot of national attemptions.
Speaker 4: No, no, they they're very they're very nice to those guys.
Speaker 8: Ever time, not that we're mean.
Speaker 3: I've never been here, you know this, I don't know.
Speaker 4: No, No, it's not that.
Speaker 7: I don't think that we're mean, But but I think it's the national media.
Speaker 8: Everything scrutinized around here, like green Bay three. Green Bay Tours are not getting an article on ESPN.
Speaker 10: That's all due respect to ESPN, but Green Bay Tours are not getting coverage like that. Everything is scrutinized in this building, from the way you breathe, the way you walk, to the way you talk. I don't think McCarthy is the biggest fan of that, and I don't think anybody in their right mind would be. Some people learn to live with it a little bit better than others. I think you could look at some coaches in the past, or some quarterbacks in the past that live with it a little bit better than others. I think Dak Prescott's a good example of that. He just takes it and moves on. I think he doesn't like that aspect of it, but I think he likes the aspect of being the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: I'm firm in my belief in that.
Speaker 6: And my other thought is, I don't know if let's say the Cowboys move on, I'm not sure that next year another team's gonna be like, yeah, might come on over be our head coach. So if he wants to be a head coach, maybe his best option for next year is to be here right now. That does I mean in a future couple of years down the road, maybe another team's like, yeah, we'll gould and give him another shot. But that's hard when you start talking about getting that third shot. Yeah, it gets to slim Pickens to give you that third shot.
Speaker 11: Good.
Speaker 12: I think he's been good as a head coach. I agree now that the play color is where it comes. I mean it was basically his decision or I don't know. I wasn't in there, but Kellen Moore parted ways with the Cowboys, he took over. He was the one wanting to call the plays.
Speaker 11: Last year.
Speaker 12: I think you were still seeing the effects of what Kellen Moore have put together, and then this year it's all being you and you haven't. I mean, I think it's it's very difficult for you to defend the play callers thing when you don't change it. I mean we've seen last week, we saw a little bit, but other than that, I mean, it's been a whole season. Season is about to be over, and you just do the same thing over and over and over. You get to watch film, you get everybody in there, and those are your calls that you're making. So play caller, absolutely, But as a head coach, I think overall he has been pretty good, and I think other teams can see that.
Speaker 11: If it was to come down.
Speaker 6: Yes, but that's also the thing. I think the head coach is responsible for it all. So if he makes the decision that he's going to be the play caller and he's the one that's calling the plays and the offense isn't what it should be, then guess what that's also being evaluated by all the other teams. And I agree with you, I think Mike McCarthy. And that's another reason why I don't think it's a slam dunk that he's gone, is because you look at this three, twelve and eleven, see twelve and five seasons and then whatever happens this year. If they get on a run and they end up over five hundred. Let's say they end up over five hundred. I think that factor's in and I think that when you do that, you look at the whole resume.
Speaker 2: It says this is a good coach. Now are there problems.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, there's some things they're gonna have to fix, but it's a good coach. And so I do think that's st impetus. Why the Cowboys make I don't know if that makes him immediately somebody the other teams are like, oh, we gotta go get him. He just became available. We got to go get him. I don't know if that's necessarily the case.
Speaker 10: I would see a team like Jacksonville hopping on that opportunity. Absolutely, And Miken mentioned I don't remember when this was, it was sometime in the last few weeks about how that season off in twenty nineteen just killed him, like he's he.
Speaker 8: Couldn't take it.
Speaker 3: Coaches want to coach.
Speaker 7: Coach just want to coach, and the family wants to get you out of the house. So like, what are you doing or hanging around?
Speaker 3: My god, let's whim that's all.
Speaker 4: No, it's true, it's like, what are you still doing around at all?
Speaker 10: I'll tell you what that's second July. I'm like, how many weeks until camp? But Mike McCarthy will be a head coach in the NFL somewhere, if it's here.
Speaker 8: If it's somewhere, you.
Speaker 2: Think next year, no matter what I think.
Speaker 7: So yeah, you know, if you think about guys like this like Carolina, Dave Canalis and what they did in Atlanta, and you know, I mean, Mike McCarthy is a more established coach at least. I mean, hell, if I was the damn Giants, I would in if they I would interview him there. If I was the Giants, you know, established guy knows.
Speaker 8: The division in New Orleans, He's been there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, New Orleans.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's there's places that he can interview and whoever they bring in, he's probably got.
Speaker 4: Way more skins on the way. All amber'st right.
Speaker 7: The biggest problem with Mike McCarthy is not it's not getting his team to Sunday, it's what happens on Sunday with him in a primary position. That's that's that's the disconnect, right.
Speaker 6: Well, the other part to it, too, for from Mike's perspective, going back to your original question, is is that place he's going they do they have a quarterback, because, as we know with all coaches like that makes it go up a notch. If you already got a quarterback in place, especially an established quarterback, you know you can win well.
Speaker 12: When you're looking for a job, you can't get to peaky of a home what you're offering.
Speaker 6: Maybe, but that's also I don't know if that necessarily for somebody like him that's as established as he is, that also knows. I would suspect at this point in Mike McCarthy's career he has some I would go here, I would not go here, and I don't care whether it means I'm not coaching. There's certain places I would assume a coach.
Speaker 14: Of his tenure bills, he's made enough money, I think, yeah, yeah, not like us.
Speaker 3: This is a different thing, you know. I mean, that's the end of the day. I think he's probably I think.
Speaker 6: He's probably got some places that he would be like, I can go here or retire.
Speaker 3: I'm not going here.
Speaker 6: Well, I'll just send another year in wait and maybe next year something else comes available.
Speaker 7: I remember talking to Seans too long by. You know, funny you talk about having an established quarterback though, and some of these guys. And I was talking to Sean Payton about this when Dak in twenty sixteen. He says, man, I admire what's going on in Dallas right now. I might you know why, because they have a quarterback that's not changing the play every play that I call in, He goes. I love Drew Brees, he goes, But every time I send in a play, Drew Brees changing with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he goes.
Speaker 7: Now Sean's in a situation where he's got bo Nicks and bo Nick exactly what he tells him, it does exactly what, And then bo Nicks is going to figure out, well, I don't need Sean Payton call him plays. I could change these plays out. So sometimes coaches are okay with the young guy if they're okay with that because if they got to go, if they got a good one, and because the young guy is not going to change every play that they send in, you know.
Speaker 4: So that's something.
Speaker 8: So I think Jacksonville would be a great fit if he were to end up in more than Chicago, somewhere else. Oh yeah, I don't think Chicago.
Speaker 4: You know, everybody talks about Ben Johnson at Chicago.
Speaker 7: It doesn't I don't think Chicago is going to pay a coach.
Speaker 4: I really don't. Look.
Speaker 6: The more the more I think about it, the more I think if if, if everything keeps going as it's going, and they are competitive and get some more wins, I just I don't know if they're gonna pull the trigger. I think he's going to be here, and I think maybe he should be here.
Speaker 7: Is it going to be the uncomfortable Jason Garrett standing around for a week, you know, in his office and nobody.
Speaker 4: Knows what's going. Who knows this guy's door closed and nobody's like.
Speaker 6: What I will tell you is it does give us some good fodder for those weeks, and we're going to be talking football and maybe Dallas isn't in the playoffs. All right, let's take our first break. When we come back, we will get inside. The reign of Brian brought us. He has some questions for us. We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 15: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah Todd leave the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 3: Five G requires COMPATBA plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 2: See atp dot com Slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 16: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 9: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas take five oil change. A proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast, you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take fives, stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area, and remember, at take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 17: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Starn Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com.
Speaker 8: Lucasey the official boot.
Speaker 17: Of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 13: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetti dot com. Check it out today. Yeti Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: Back to the Break, LG oled evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital Trends said that LGOLEDG four has the best picture quality they've ever seen, and seen it for yourself at LG dot com slash oled evo Welcome Back.
Speaker 6: It is the second segment of the Break Life from that WVC Mortgage Studios at the Starlets Squad, inside the Brian Bran that.
Speaker 3: Let's go inside the brain Brian brought us.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much. Nobody hit the table. My microphone might just go down quickly. Okay, we don't need that happen.
Speaker 3: That'll be hilarious, Derek.
Speaker 7: Josh Butler's injury is really a bad loss for this defense.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is, mainly because at this point in the season. I want to.
Speaker 6: I want my young guys playing so that I can see what I have going into the offseason to prepare for what I should be doing next year.
Speaker 3: So, yes, I think it was a big loss.
Speaker 8: Nick, So it wasn't a question, just a statement.
Speaker 7: No, I made a Josh Butler.
Speaker 8: Josh, it's like a true false Okay, I'm sorry. It just kind of threw me off. I was like, did he cut him off?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 10: I agree on it's seeing him, especially go down with an ACL that's not something you recover from in time for even training camp next year. Best case scenario, we saw Terrence Steel do it with an injury around this time of the season, but that's it's a rare case where you can see a guy recover that quick. So I mean his story and getting all the way to the NFL and finally getting a starting opportunity and then having it in just like that.
Speaker 8: It's not only tough for the kid, but I think it's tough for UH.
Speaker 10: I think it's tough for this team too, trying to figure out their corner depth because this is a season where they are truly exploring what that death looks like in the secondary and I think that they found a piece in Josh Butler that they can keep around for the future in dire situations like this. But you know now that they have to factor in him coming back from an ACL and that's tough to do.
Speaker 8: It's really tough to do.
Speaker 7: And Bart Josh Butler's injury is really bad loss for this Cowboys defense.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, I mean everything that they said I agree with. And also terrible timing that it happened during a time where people were started starting to learn his name and hear about this guy that you often didn't hear much from, and he was doing a good job taking advantage of that opportunity that came up. And it's just it's unfortunate. But again, looking at a team that is going to have to rely on so much young talent moving forward and next year, it sucks for not only him, but also what the team has right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I felt like, man, when he started to play, he was different from the guys they put out there that you know, the Booths and the other I mean even mquam a little bit.
Speaker 4: How competitive he was, his ability to cover, to.
Speaker 7: Play off, to drive on a ball, to tackle he got picked.
Speaker 4: On, he didn't waiver in any way.
Speaker 7: And this is a bad loss because you know, if you're like you say, it takes away a piece that you could really rely on if you wanted to. You know, if you if you had Digs and Bland and Lewis, if you want to play dime, you could throw him out there. Then you know, if you want to give Bland a little break, you could have put him out there. So yeah, this is this is really to me a really really bad loss.
Speaker 10: There's not a bright side to this. But if you're looking for a bright side from the team perspective, Ammanni or Warrier is he can start his practice window as early as tomorrow thinking that might be the next week type situation. A.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I kind of felt like Butler was better than him.
Speaker 10: Though, really I feel like they were a little bit neck and neck. I would have given the edge to Oral warreate, but I respect that opinion.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you just like saying the name, that's what you like. I'll go I'll stay with you on this one.
Speaker 4: Right. Do you feel like the offense has missed Jake.
Speaker 8: Ferguson all season?
Speaker 10: I feel like they have all season, and I expected more from Jake Ferguson this year, I really did, and I don't know how much that. I don't know how much that knee injury he suffered in Week one has affected him throughout the year, and I don't want to speculate on that, but it is something I point to because I expected him to take another step forward, just as he did going into year two.
Speaker 8: Last year.
Speaker 10: You know, I expected him to be in the top five as far as tight ends, you know, without a question. And it's hard for me to say that even before he dealt with this concussion. This this offense is predicated around finding the safety net in the tight end across the middle of the field. I mean, we were talking about last year with you know, those those seam routes that Dak Prescott would find to Jake Ferguson, we didn't really see those before either of them got hurt. So I expect a little bit more from him overall coming into this year.
Speaker 12: Hey, g Yeah, when you post that question, in my head, I was like missed, what like if we were I mean, no offense to him, but hey, I want to say, I mean, but what I have to say along with that is that I feel like the offense in general, like nobody, nobody has been standing out shining this season. So I'm not taking a job at him, but more so because we've seen him the year prior. We've seen what he can be, We've seen what he can do. So I go back to Mike McCarthy and the way he's managed this offense and not being able to construct the right place that caters to guys like that. So I feel like more so than his ability of bringing what he can bring. Yes, that has taken a step down, but it's a fact. It's a it's a result of the plays that are being called and him not being able to bring more to the table with the right play calling.
Speaker 7: Derek have they Do you feel like this offense has missed Jake Ferguson.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 6: Now I'm gonna let y'all keep slander and Jake Ferguson because I'm looking at his record as his stats this year, and first of all, let me just say, there is not a tight end on this team, maybe even a receiver on this team that's better with the ball in his hands after the catch, other than maybe of a Cavante turpen On. A few times they decide to get him the ball.
Speaker 3: He is a guy.
Speaker 6: Every time we see him get the ball, catch a pass, he rarely goes down with the first shit. He usually makes a move and he's off.
Speaker 3: He's gonna get you.
Speaker 6: Three, four, five, six more yards with that catch. But you look at his numbers. I'm gonna go back to game was against Baltimore eleven targets, six catches, ninety five yards against the Giants seven catches, seven targets, forty nine yards. Pittsburgh seven targets, six catches seventy yards. San Francisco eight targets, six catches twenty three yards, Atlanta ten targets, seven catches, seventy one yards. This guy has been productive for this team. He is not the top option. As the second option, he has been productive for this team. So, yes, he hasn't been I don't think our expectations probably were up because of how good he was last year.
Speaker 3: We were expecting can he get up to Kelsey level? Can you get up to that level of the elite tight ends of the league.
Speaker 6: Okay, maybe he didn't get there, but he is still a value valued part of this offense. And not having him there is something that you're lacking in explosiveness from the tight end position.
Speaker 10: I agree with you there, and I think all that's valid. I think back to the conversations we had about Jake Ferguson at training camp. We're like, okay, so ceedee, Lamb's not here. Who does this benefit? And you look at a guy like Jake Ferguson is like, man, he could really take a step forward even with this extra time with Dak here at camp. This is a guy where you could look at as a surefire pro bowler, and I just don't think he's played up to that level this year. It's been very on par with what he did last year, which again was not a bad pace. I believe he was averaging Let's see, he was averaging forty four point eight yards per game last year. This year that paces at forty one yards. So it's right, it's right around the same stratosphere. But I think I just expected him to take a little bit at four. But if you're talking about the last two weeks specifically, I like what Schoonmaker has done, but I think Ferguson is a better receiving tight end. At the end of the day, I would love to see what this offense looks like they can maximize both of those guys in the receiving game in this At the same time.
Speaker 7: Hey Ge need to see more of Rico Daddle or Cavante Turpinlie.
Speaker 8: Davis can be an answer, Malik Davis.
Speaker 4: Need to see more.
Speaker 11: How long are football games?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 12: You have plenty of time to use both of them in a single game.
Speaker 7: You need to see more of pick one Doll.
Speaker 12: I've seen, I've seen. I feel more comfortable with Turpin.
Speaker 4: You won that Commander's game for you.
Speaker 12: Basically, I feel like I know what I have in Turpin. Sure with Dal, I'm still waiting. I haven't seen enough and I'm still on the twelve.
Speaker 4: Wasn't it good enough for you last week?
Speaker 11: Give me more of that? Okay, give me more again.
Speaker 12: With the way that this offense has been playing, if you're actually hoping to get a chance at something, you're gonna have to have some sort of running game, and the best guy to give you that would be Rico. I agree with Nick. I would love to see Davis at some point, but I don't think that's gonna happen. I've seen what he's done in the past. I've seen that even when was it at games where the game was kind of seiling and then you got Cooper rush in, and then they brought him in. He's done some plays, but again, give me Rico. The running back position is a big question mark for next year. So I want to see more of him in a consistent basis there.
Speaker 6: I don't need to see more than what I saw the last two weeks. I don't think they need more. Easily he had he had twenty five touches last week. I don't he doesn't need the ball more than twenty five touches in a game.
Speaker 11: I think more, I mean repeat, what was.
Speaker 6: What I'm saying is you give me what you gave me last week. I don't need to see more. I need to see more kavant a deterpin. They're not giving him enough opportunities with the balls and the ball in his hands, okay, And so for me, I'm like, for the number of times that he has turned in big plays for this team, it seems to me like you should be finding more opportunities to get the ball in his hands and see what he can do. And so I want to see more opportunities for him. I think the opportunity if they just keep it consistent with what they did with Rico the last two weeks. I'm good with that he's getting twenty plus touches. That's perfect for Rico.
Speaker 10: For me, yeah, I'm with you there. I feel like I do know what I have in Rico, doubt l. I don't feel like I know what I have in Cavante Turpin as far as what he can bring to the offense. I feel like they are only starting to, you know, find the tip of the iceberg as to what Turpin can provide. I worry about his size, Yes, you know, how much really can you realistically get him involved in the offense. But you got five games to figure that out. I say, try as many things as possible with him. You're starting to see his run after catchability, You're starting to see his trust in the red zone. I think there's a lot of situations where you can throw Cavante Turpin in and see if he succeeds, and if he doesn't, then at least you know you.
Speaker 4: Have time for one more.
Speaker 7: Yeah, go Derek, Bigger surprise Karl Lawson or Brock Kauffman.
Speaker 6: Carl Lawson mainly because I saw shades of this with Brock Kaufman in the past where he's flashed for me and I've been like, Okay, that's pretty good. Pretty good rep, pretty good rep. So I've been seeing that a little bit from him. I don't know that I've seen enough this year to make me think Brock Kauflin is so much better than I thought he was. I think what we've seen is still just guy's flashes, and he's been pretty good. Let's not over overdo it. He's been pretty good. So Carl Lawson, I had no expectations for him what I saw at training camp when he first arrived in Dallas, I had very low expectations. I was like, I don't know what they're going to really get out of this guy. But I think as the season has gone on and you've seen him kind of get his legs and figure this thing out, I think you're starting to see he's a guy that, certainly from a past rush standpoint, can give you a little something there. I don't know if he's somebody keep around beyond this year. I think he was a guy you needed because you were so low, but he's given you enough for what you need it right now.
Speaker 10: I think Nick I knew brought kaffin would stand on business come on once. I was a little disappointed he didn't win that starting job for the center position. I felt like he had earned that spot. But I understand why the team did that, and I understand why. You know, Cooper BB was a decision, and I think the long term projection of that position is better with Cooper BB in the middle, but brock Hoffman getting his opportunity at right guard. I agree with Derek, we saw shades of this. I saw shades of this training camp last year. I think there were moments you could point back to in camp last year where he was bullying some guys around. I remember a rep against Jonathan Hanken specifically at camp where it made me look down at the roster for the first time be like, Okay Hoffman. But Carl Lawson, Yeah, I didn't have a lot high expectations for him at all. But I the one part where I'll probably disagree with you on I think Lawson is worth keeping up bringing back for a year or two. I see him as kind of that Dante Fowler rotational pass rusher that they had in the past with Dan Quinn. Bring him in as that rotational guy and let him stick around until you know health gives out or ability gives out.
Speaker 8: I think he's earned that.
Speaker 2: Has he been good enough in the run for you to do that?
Speaker 10: Probably not, but neither was Dante Fowler in my opinion. I bring him in on passing downs and let him get an opportunity to just go at the quarterback.
Speaker 8: That's that's all you really need him for.
Speaker 6: In my eyes, I just want Golston back, and I want them to have Sam back, and then you got Micah and I think from there, Kneeland, I think, I to me, I look at those younger guys, and then you draft another guy or two, and I think that's where you roll.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he necessarily need Lost.
Speaker 6: And and by the way, if you want Lost in at some point next season, my guess he may be available to you on the on the open market. Right, So yeah, I think I could try to go younger there.
Speaker 7: Who's if you can only have one back between Osa and the question for.
Speaker 3: Me, I ain gonna, I'm not playing your game.
Speaker 8: Give me Lewis.
Speaker 7: It was yeah, no, no, no, no no, no. I I because I know you guys all take Lewis.
Speaker 8: Yes, yeah, yeah, No.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't really because because of age, I wouldn't.
Speaker 6: And by the way, I think right now, okay, Lewis is playing better than Olsa, and Olsa is playing great.
Speaker 11: But who you're talking about.
Speaker 8: Also also was young by about four or five years.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think from that standpoint, I go with the youngest.
Speaker 7: Pretty so you would take Lewis though, right, I.
Speaker 10: Would take Lewis. Lewis is twenty nine, Osa's twenty six. Just just for reference, I would take I would take Lewis because what's harder.
Speaker 3: To replace a nickel corner or a three tech? Yeah?
Speaker 8: A three tech.
Speaker 7: You're right, You're right about this draft.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could place.
Speaker 10: I'll say, because I was thinking about this in the car this morning, because I expected this to come up, and I if Lewis starts to decline, because I think that's kind of the expectation around the age conversation, He's.
Speaker 4: Kind of got better.
Speaker 2: He has, That's the crazy part about it. He's actually gotten better.
Speaker 4: I think NJM. Button.
Speaker 10: I see here and I see Lewis here, and I don't feel like this meets for another couple of seasons. I feel like you can bring Lewis back for a couple of years cheap deal, and you.
Speaker 2: Can maybe he's worked on one, then you're.
Speaker 10: Right because he signed to a much cheaper deal than I expected him to this past offseason.
Speaker 8: He was going to get more money than.
Speaker 6: But he's played his butt off this year and I think there's gonna be some suitors out there for him this offseason.
Speaker 7: I guess you can't watch the tape and not see that he was one of the best defensive players on a team that struggled.
Speaker 8: And the numbers don't lie either. He's been phenomenal.
Speaker 6: If it's equal money him and Osa equal money, I'm still man.
Speaker 10: Now I'm thinking about position value. You have more depth at corner. It's the smarter decision to go with Osa there, it is. But if we're talking player for player in a vacuum, I would take Jordan Lewis.
Speaker 12: I love them both completely to underside right. The only thing that comes to mind is like injuries, there's one guy that has dealt with more injuries throughout his career than the other, and that's Jordan. He's dealt with and he always overcomes them and comes back, and.
Speaker 11: He he survived the what was his name?
Speaker 12: Uh, Oh my god, defensive coordinator that we had here. No, he survived well, yeah.
Speaker 4: Because.
Speaker 12: I mean the fact that he made it through that period was impressive because he was.
Speaker 2: He was the prototy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 12: So everything he's done has been completely impressive.
Speaker 11: But I think that you could potentially find a way to.
Speaker 12: Keep him both, not in a cheap deal, but like a reasonable deal where it makes sense for both of them. He's just he's a chill dude, chill guy.
Speaker 11: Yeah, he's just a chill guy, both of them.
Speaker 7: Have you seen Maxwell Harrison from Okay, there's your nickel corner right there.
Speaker 3: All right, we got it, carry on a right.
Speaker 12: I love how you guys always have these ideas, like the draft never goes.
Speaker 11: You expect it.
Speaker 8: It's your round. You always got to be on your toes.
Speaker 3: They're always guys though, you can always find That's.
Speaker 7: What I'm saying about running backs.
Speaker 4: Oh no, we got a couple for you too.
Speaker 6: There there's always guys. Now, the question is can you choose the right ones?
Speaker 2: There's always guys. Can you choose the right ones?
Speaker 6: Because it's not necessarily did you get the second round or did you get the fourth round? And sometimes the fourth round is better than the second round, so it's can you choose the right one.
Speaker 3: But there's always guys.
Speaker 7: Say they started listening to us about rush and overshown. We always said that, like five weeks ago, like our poor Man's Micah Parsons, we said that.
Speaker 6: They really should just schedule a weekly sit down with us and we can give them all the answers and then they can go and just do it.
Speaker 4: Tips.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Tips, all right, we're gonna wrap this thing because it's we're timed. I don't know if we can do a commercial break and we'll be over time, so we're just gonna call it.
Speaker 4: A T and T.
Speaker 11: A T and T they connect everything.
Speaker 2: There you go, thank you, We appreciate you, guys, Jonas.
Speaker 3: We'll be back tomorrow.
Speaker 6: We'll start getting ready for cowboys next game. They'll play the Cincinnati Bingals on Monday night. Brian will talk about that offense, A very very good offic that's what it is. We will talk about that tomorrow for Nick Kris. Brian brought us an Ambergarci. I'm Derek and this has been the Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys football club,