Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: San Francisco's mayoral race is ongoing. We've been talking to some of the candidates about their vision for the future of this city. Some say it's tech centric nature needs to be harnessed. Others say it's too tech centric. Let's get the view of another candidate, Daniel Lury, founder and former CEO of Tipping Point Community and Mark Farrell, has been on the show and basically said were over index historically to tech, but they've left. We desperately need them back. You share that view, but you want to specifically focus on the corner of the technology industry that's looking at a green energy and climate.
Speaker 1: Well, first, thanks for having me. San Francisco is coming back. There is another question in my mind. This race is about how quickly I'm running against a number of city hall insiders who frankly guide us into this mess. And it's not going to be done by anyone from inside that building. It needs accountable leadership, it needs new ideas. I'm excited today to talk to you about my proposal to bring a climate innovation hub here to San Francisco. And you've just had many guests on talking about AI. San Francisco is already the center of AI, but we need to marry that with you.
Speaker 2: I've had that a lot with respect, mister Leary, what are you actually going to do? You know, what is a concrete policy that's going to get a company to say, yeah, you know, well this he's going to fix the city.
Speaker 1: We're first off, we're coming back. We have the best research institutions. We have Meta, we have Google, we have open Eyes AI, and we have a saying. We have open office space. We have twenty two salesforce towers of open office space. We have to streamline permitting to invite clean tech companies back here. You need a mayor with vision that no longer is going to say business is a bad word, but we're going to embrace tech, clean tech. We need to do this. We need to do it with new vision and new leadership. And that's what I bring to this race. What kind of I guess coalition you building, miss Larry. You know who are the companies an existing industry lead is that you feel all backing you? Well? I have a track record of bringing together the business community, the nonprofit community, of the civic community. Mayor ed Lee actually asked me to chair the bid for Super Bowl fifty back in twenty thirteen. We had to go up against Miami. I led the cheerleading for that effort. We won the rights to bring that game here. We brought two hundred and forty million dollars worth of economic revenue to San Francisco, to the Bay Area. And guess what, we created the Bay Area Host Committee. We got the NBA All Star Game coming here next year. We have Super Bowl sixty coming back, we have six World Cup matches coming here. The eyes of the world are going to be on San Francisco again. But we have to do the basics. D We have to have clean streets, we have to have safe streets, and not just when the JP Morgan healthcare conferences in town or APEC is here. Simply put, we need new leadership, and that's what I provide.
Speaker 3: There's a political risk here that it's not just meyoral candidates coming up, but there's also a presidential election that might not be that supportive of climate tech. How do you ensure that we're not going into a bus situation that you're betting on the right ecosystem here at Daniel.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, we all know we need to have decarbonization. We have a climate crisis. We all know that when you're looking at companies like Meta Google, they need more energy, they need more power, and they have their own climate goals. And so this is a technology that is just getting started.
Speaker 2: I'm certain in trouble. I just want to get to the idea of what the city will become. One vision associate with Your name is Wall Street for climate tech Bros. Is that fair?
Speaker 1: Now? Listen, this city needs to get back to its roots. We need to be focused on arts and culture. We also need to embrace business as well for us to be a great American city. We also need the tax revenue that we have lost under the current leadership. We have seen businesses fleeing this city. It's time that we go win business back. I've done it before and I'll do it again.
Speaker 2: San Francisco Merrill candidate daniel Leary, grateful for you coming into the studio.