Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe Getty, arm Strong and Jet and Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: And in this nationwide war over redistricting, we've seen the two biggest states go first, the biggest red state, Texas. You mentioned those five additional seats red. Yeah, and there's not a lot of blue. They're squeezing that big time. Now, what we're seeing the opposite in California, where the Democrats under Gavin Newsom are putting a map on the ballot for voters this fall that could get them those five seats back. So that would make sure only four Republican seats forty eight for the Democrats.
Speaker 3: So we're standing up. This is not about parties. It's not about you know, redistricting lines. It's about holding the line. It's about protecting all of us, regardless of political party. It's about power at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Is it okay? So the math on that there are fifty two congressional seats in California. If Gavin gets his way, four of those will be Republican. So even though about thirty eight percent of Californian's voted Republican last time around, they would only have seven percent of the seats. So nearly forty percent of the people who vote in California vote Republican, but only seven percent of the representation in the House. Well that sounds fair. Whatever. We welcome back to the Armstrong and get his show. Our old friend Gary Dietrie. How are you, Gary, Hey, Jack, good to be with you.
Speaker 4: And one thing we now for sure, this scientific study has come out Joe Jack. There's been now more citations of redistricting in the last three days than in all of human history.
Speaker 1: I think, no, getting not a hot topic, usually says here. You are a CBS News political analyst. Now, congratulations, Well, thank.
Speaker 4: You, my friend. Yeah, you know, I've been based in the state capitol, California for some time. But you know, as things continue to grow and all the rest of the good stuff, you know, and I think they guess that make sense to them. I'm now doing national TV and radio for CBS as well.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Of course. The reason we have you on today is to talk about the backlash against the cracker barrel remodel has everybody very angry.
Speaker 4: You know, I got to tell you that's so funny you mentioned this, Jack, I was thinking over the weekend. I have never in my lifetime seen a car brand flip politically in six months, right, a bed, a beer brand flip politically in thirty days, and a beloved pancake house and I don't know, fried chicken whatever you know do the same thing in about two hours.
Speaker 1: It's undbelievable, it really is. That's a very good point. We'll have to discuss that later. You got to really watch your uh your pr currently is a big company. But anyway, we're going to talk to you about redistricting, among other things. First of all, what's the likelihood that this passes? Have you seen any polling on this in California?
Speaker 4: Yeah, in California. Here's the problem for Democrats that when the polling was done a couple of weeks ago, just on the concept would you like the Independent Citizens Commission or do you want it to go the power to go back to the legislature, Jack, This is quite remarkable to me. Actually two thirds of voters said, now, don't We don't want to go back to the legislature's control. We wanted to stay in the hands and that, by the way, wasn't just led by Republicans and a large percentage almost twenty five percent independency in California, but a vast majority, almost sixty percent of Democrats said that. So that's a big headwind. Now when you start talking about this measure in specifics, people are just beginning to get pulled on it. But right now, the most recent numbers I saw, Jack had about forty eight percent in support of it. There's a general rule of thumb in California about propositions. If you don't start your campaign, it's over fifty percent of his support. You've got a big, big road to hope.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, Well that that is uh, that's good to know going forward with this. Not to READO. We just had Congressman Tom McClintock on and he kind of went through the history of jerry mandering, although he is the correct pronunciation of Gary mandering.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I want you to know I had nothing to do with that, though it's a different spelling Gary than me his that's ge r r wise, So I did not have anything to do with the start of Gary mandarin.
Speaker 1: I want you guys to know, gotcha. But so we won't go through the history of that again. But like people have been jerry mandering since the country started, there's lots of blue states that are all jerry mandered the heck as we all know. And now it's just But isn't Gavin's main goal if this gets shot down? Doesn't he want just to be the face of the resistance. Isn't that his main goal?
Speaker 4: Well? You know, you know, I never tried to get inside a politician's head. But if you look at the sort of factual evidence of that in the last twelve to eighteen months, Jack, you know very well. I mean he's been in red states all over the country, raised ten million dollars in a pack to do that, took up billboards in Florida and Texas, famously debated the governor of Florida on the Sean Hannity Show of all things. I mean, he is you know, had their own podcast, you know, the story with Bannon on it and Charlie Kirk. I mean, he's been he's been auditioning for the White House here officially unofficially for last year plus.
Speaker 1: How do you like his chances?
Speaker 4: Oh in twenty eight? Yeah, Well, well here's the deal. We have some recent numbers on that this is really interesting. In California, his own home state, he has now surged a head of Kamala Harris as California Democrats twenty eight choice hod.
Speaker 1: But CALLI Kamala Harris. I can't believe anybody's even talking about her. Still good lord, Well.
Speaker 4: I'm just telling you the numbers, okay, And Califia, California Democrats, California Democrats had her in the lead as their choice and then just in the last thirty days Gavin surgery tohead. Now, nationally, there hasn't been a lot of good national polling on this in the last couple weeks. But what's interesting, Jack, is the movement on the so called odds. Okay, Now, why are odds? Why would people care about that over polling? Because odds take in and these are being watched by the way, very carefully and reliably by many political sources in the US these days. Why because polling is one measurement, right if there's snapshot in time, it takes time to get a poll out in the field and then you get it back. Odds take into account other things. What a recent news cycles there, et cetera, et cetera. What is fundraising look like, and Gavin Newsom has moved into the lead nationally in the odds for the twenty eight race of the Democratic nomination.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting, and that was his goal. He wants to be as close to as a presumptive as he can possibly get heading into the whole thing, obviously, And again, the Democratic Party doesn't have a face, They don't have a person that is like the go to resistance to Trump and everything Trump and everything that's evil and Republican. And he wants to be that he and he's making some pretty good progress on that. But so are you still now you're working for CBS? How long we've been doing this together? Gary? Twenty years, twenty five years?
Speaker 4: Okay, let me let me remind you. I'll ask you the question, Karris. Somebody asked me this was the weekend about you guys? When did you start your local show? And Sacrament of Us now ballooned into a galactic, you know, superstar radio program. Well, when did you guys start?
Speaker 1: Michael's usually on top of this. So our anniversary is like in a week couple of days actually, and that will be twenty eight years, twenty seven years, something like twenty seven, twenty seven years.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, Now you're making me feel really old.
Speaker 1: You know why that are really old? And so am I.
Speaker 4: Oh geez, come on, man, I I started with you guys the first year you were on air locally in the state capitol of Calipa.
Speaker 1: Lord, we've been talking to each other for almost three decades. What are we doing the job?
Speaker 5: Okay, that's the end of that forgets.
Speaker 1: Let's do something else with our lives. Okay. So anyway, but since you're on right now for the last time, so you've always been staunchly non partisan. That's always been your thing, and I love that. That's one of the reasons we always liked having you on. You're really into just trying to relay the facts. I assume you're still doing that for CBS. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: That is a great question because people say, because remember, this really blows people's minds. Prior to my contract with CBS were started in what twenty eighteen or something, so that was what seven years ago. I was with our local Fox affiliate, Fox forty and Zacha Meto. So you know, people say, did you flip loyalties? No, I've always been the same, Gary Detrich, you know how it is, Jack just like you said, I call them like I see him. I feel like that's very, very important role. That's why they have me on. Nobody scripts me, nobody tells me what bent to take. I guarantee you that.
Speaker 1: Well, so this is an opinion question. So I don't know how you want to handle that. But I, Joe and I take in a lot of national media and podcast all that sort of stuff. Of course we do for our line work. I feel like people pundits in the rest of the country have a way higher opinion of Gavin Newsom's talents than people who have known him longer in California. Well, first of all, would you agree with that about Well, I do think.
Speaker 4: That that is how should we call it a bias that happens with Jack? Literally almost every governor, right, almost every governor this happened. You could and Republicans and Democrats. You can go down the list. You go way back to Mike Ducaccus in Massachusetts and the Massachusetts Miracle. And when I went to you know, I won't mention the name of the school because you guys like to make fun of my grad school.
Speaker 1: On the Gary went to Harvard. He went to Harvard? Is the John F. Kennedy School of Government. We all know, glad we mentioned that telling you this for thirty years.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Gary, Okay, I'm hoping people forget. The reason I mentioned that is because when I was in that, when I was in Massachusetts, people would say, what is this fascination with our governor outside of our state? There's this wrong, this wrong that happens all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't remember, you know, Rick Perry coming out of Texas or whoever it is. They the local people often say, I don't know if he's as good as you think he is. But then sometimes you get a Clinton or a Bush who perform, you know, at that high level. But so, where do you think Gavin Newsom is currently as a political athlete, Well.
Speaker 4: I certainly think that. You know, you're onto the trend line right now, which is the Democratic base has been desperately seeking a true in their words, fighter, quote unquote. They want somebody to take on, as they call him, quote unquote, the bully in the White House, and Gavin has stilled that role. Now, interestingly, there's been a huge transformation, as you know, Jack, in the last eight months, because when the President showed up on the tarmac of La International Airport right after the fires down south. You know, Gavin wanted to make nice and he needs forty billion dollars, they say, to rebuild La et cetera, et cetera. But things terms now are quickly, as you know, they've gone from bad to worse. And I think Gavin is essentially given up on trying to woot Trump in the White House and now it's full on. I'm going to be the face of the opposition.
Speaker 1: I don't blame him, but man, these early projections Trump has only been president for what nine months? In the talk about twenty eight that is out there, Hillary Clinton seemed like a lock for the nomination in two thousand and eight. I remember when Rudy Giuliani seemed like who could possibly beat him? You know, we've seen this so many times. There's lots of names that I've never even heard of. You've net, You've probably heard of them, but that I've never even heard of that could emerge in the next couple of years.
Speaker 4: Correct, Oh yeah, I mean, look, a month is a long time in politics. I mean, nobody's even talking about it. Redissing special election on November fourth in California thirty days ago. Now it's a reality.
Speaker 1: Good point.
Speaker 4: So the point is, Jack, we have a long long ways to go. But if you look at the national odds maker Slats polling right now just for who's going to win twenty eight, and this is so far out as ridiculous, but JD. Vance is the lead, followed about ten points behind, maybe more than that, twelve points by now Gavin Newsom and then the list goes down from there, so still Vance, and of course he's no lock for his own nominations. Then we're a long ways away from twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Although Elon's saying he might throw one hundred to two hundred million dollars behind in vance is certainly a big deal.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what, he's got those kind of checks. He could decide he wants tomorrow to put in fifty cents and the next week could might be five hundred million. Yeah, but you know that proved, as you know, to be significant last time around. I mean the battle for twenty eight that it's going to make it really interesting, Jack, is that it's wide open. There won't be an incumbent on either side, and yes you have a sitting vice president, but that's a real mixed bag of results for sitting vice presidents over the years.
Speaker 1: Gary Dietrich's CBS News political analyst, let's do it for thirty more years, Gary.
Speaker 4: Well, how about it we sell with thirty days.
Speaker 5: And go from there.
Speaker 1: All right, and talk to you soon.
Speaker 5: Okay, buddy?
Speaker 1: How the hell have we possibly been doing this for thirty days? So the football season is back. We're done with the preseason nonsense and ready to get going, are we? Thank goodness? And you need Prize Picks fifty dollars instantly. You get from Prize Picks in your lineup when you play your first five dollars. Yeah, they're helping you out there. With millions of members and billions of dollars awarded winnings, Prize Picks is the best place to put your takes to the test. You got strong opinions, huh, put your money where your mouth is. And the app is super simple to use. You just pick two or more players across any sport, pick more or less on the projections. If you're right, you could cash in. Prize Picks is available in forty plus states, including California, Texas, Florida, and Georgia. It's really easy to use download the Prize Pick app today. Use the code armstrong get fifty dollars instantly lineups when you play five bucks that code Armstrong on prize Picks to get fifty dollars instantly in the lineups. When you play five dollars win or lose, you get fifty bucks in lineups just for playing guaranteed prize picks. Run your game, Okay, I am going to tell the story about the old man I wanted to push into the sea at my sailing lesson next I even yelled at him. I yelled at a guy, I yelled at an old man, and even a small o. I yelled at a small old man on my sailboat in my sailing lessons yesterday, and he deserved it, among other things. O the way, stay tuned. So I take this beginner's sailing class at this little local lake next to me, and it's two days, two hours each day, and you get a certificate. That's not a lot of sailing. I'll begin with the fact that I'm terrible at it. I don't know if I have the ability to ever get any good at it, or if I'll ever even try it again. But it was fun, but it's way way more complicated than I thought it was. And there's five adults in the class. On the first day, there's only five of us in the instructor. I'm the youngest one there, and right away I had pegged this one dude who appeared to be about eight thousand years old as as a bit of a note at all. I live in a university town, and one thing I've learned living in a university town is people who have a really high education. I think this guy at a PhD. People with PhDs think they know everything about everything. That has just been my experience. Because you have a tremendous amount of knowledge about a tiny subject that you got your PhD in, you think you know everything about everything. This guy apparently had sailed before or something. I don't know, this one eight thousand year old man who was in my class and beginner's class. But why are you in the beginner's sailing class if you're okay? So when the instructor was trying to teach us stuff before even got on the boats, he's got the big chart up and everything like that, and he's shown his parts of the boat. The instructor would be showing you and you know, here's and here's the halliard, and you do and the and the the the old genius would have to shout out, and that's what you're gonna want to watch the JYM main line or throughout some terminal terminology, and the instructor would say, yeah, we'll get to that in a second. But he had just had to let the whole class know that he knew some of the terms already. Okay, so he's not on my boat. The first day we just we have two boats. He's not on my boat. I told some various people about this old man, know it all, who's in my Classho was kind of an annoying I was just trying to stay away from him. Day two, only two of us return for the class. Only two of us, and it's me and the old man are the only two. Course it is, of course it is. And the instructor makes it clear that we're going out on the boat alone, just me and the old man. The instructor will be on a motor boat kind of near us, shouting out instructions. And I thought, okay, this is going to be a growth opportunity for me too. I already got like kind of a beef against this guy and uh a growth opportunity to just you know, accept them for who he is or whatever. So we get out on the water and he keeps telling me what to do. He can't stop telling me what to do with everything you need to a little further left love for the pull that in. That's two loosens to type. And the problem was the actual instructor, who has years of experience of actual sailing, is telling me what to do. But the old man doesn't know because his hearing's shot, so he has no idea that the instructor is telling me what to do. And at some point I was getting so frustrated trying to hear the instructor tell me what to do because I almost flipped the boat. Once you make a mistaken you can end up. You can end up in the water really easy. I'm trying to listen to the extructor while the old man is in my other ear telling me what to do. At one point, I said, sir, I'm trying to listen to the instructor right now. Why God him, why gout heroy thing you saying?
Speaker 6: I mean, it was just exactly like that, And there went Jack's growth exercise.
Speaker 3: Oh, my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it got it only got worse from there. I just I could not and I had to several times a day. I'm trying to listen to the instructor, Sir. I don't know what. I don't know why the serg came out of my mouth like that. I'm not exactly sure I'd have some form of respect. You were still shocking was I was trying to have respect for an eight thousand year old man telling me what to do. I'm still with Michael. You should have just donkey kicked him right off there. I could have so easily just stood up hip checked him a tiny bit and he'd have been in the sea. But I have more of that story I have to get to later. Oh. I was so annoying and so hot, and there's so much stress, recessful enough if find have been with somebody I liked alone with this guy. Oh my god, we got more on the way. I hope you can stay with us if you missed the sec week at the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 4: Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 7: As you all know, Chicago's a killing fields right now, and they don't acknowledge it, and they say, we.
Speaker 1: Don't need them.
Speaker 8: Freedom.
Speaker 7: Freedom. He's a dictator. He's a dictator. A lot of people are saying, maybe we like a dictator. I don't like a dictator. I'm not a dictator. I'm a man with great common sense and I'm a smart person. And when I see what's happening to our cities and then you send in troops, instead of being praised, they're saying, you're trying to take over the republic.
Speaker 1: These people are sick. The other thing, the old man in the sea, the old man on my boat when we took our break from sailing, he's telling me all the things he does like about Trump. It's one of my favorite things as far as the personality goes. Just lay into me with your political opinions. Anyway, that's Trump just a few moments ago saying a lot of people like a dictator, which, of course we'll get headlines all day long. But that was on the topic of sending National Guard troops into cities, among things we might talk about with Kevin Kylie, who joined us now in the Armstrong and Getty Show. He's a California a congress person in our House of Representatives representing the third district of California will actually be Jerry manderd out if Gavin Newsom gets his way. How are you this morning, Kevin Kylie doing wow?
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Hey, Before we get to the whole redistricting thing, which would eliminate your position, what are your thoughts on sending National Guard troops into various US cities You four that are against it?
Speaker 5: Well, I think certainly in DC we've seen the adults right, We've got a significant improvement in public safety last week, more than a week, and DC has had out of control crime for a long time, and it's no one deserves to live in those conditions. But especially embarrassing for our country when we have people coming from around the world and they see our capital city has wawlessness, has rampant homelessness. As you know, you go to it's like sacrament our places in California go to CBS and they have the shampoo and conditioner right under lock and key. So I think that there's a lot of people who are like, finally someone actually cares that our cities are unsafe for folks to live in, and hopefully this will catalyze a renewed interest in public safety across the country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course though, the big difference being there is a constitutional way that the president can can take over problems in Washington, d C. That he does not have for Chicago and some of the other cities he's thrown out.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, interestingly enough, Gavin Newsom himself deployed the National Guard to San Francisco. I think last year might have been a year before saying the open air drug markets are out of control. We need the guard there in order to help our law enforcement. I'm Brandon news who, of course did it in a halfway token start of way, so it didn't really make an impact. But you would hope that the president would have willing partners in mayors and governors across the country to ask, Okay, where do you need help? How can we cooperate to actually protect your citizens.
Speaker 1: Well, everything Gavin Newsom does is We've talked about a lot, you have to run through the filter of he's trying to run for president. That's his main goal. So almost everything he does is how is this going to look nationally? Me trying to get the nomination and run for president, as opposed to what's going to be good for any various California town. So am I right that if Gavin gets his way on the whole jerrymandering California, it'll eliminate your seat.
Speaker 5: That's certainly his goal, but it was also his goal to defeat me last year under the current district client. He had his own staff member who came and ran against me, and I ended up winning by forty six thousand votes. So even though he's tried as hard as he possibly can to jerrymander my district, it looks like an elephant. Ironically, the trunk sort of extends into the Sacramento area to collect the sort of voters that he wants. I still think one way or another, we will beat him again, but ultimately we need to make sure that the redistricting sham does not go through. It is one of the worst things that could happen to democracy and representative governments in our state, and it's an attempt, It is an explicit attempt to overturn the will of voters below up our state constitution and deprive many people of their representatives.
Speaker 1: I was reading something I think it was in the Washington Post over the weekend, This idea of making the country look like a checkerboard where everything is equal sized square, you know, just draw the lines and whoever lives in it lives in it and make it that way. Do you have any fixes for this? Because jerry mandrig has been going on since beginning of the country, there doesn't seem to be any way to stop it from happening. Voters hate it. Do you have any ideas? Yeah.
Speaker 5: In fact, there was an attempt in the early years of the Republic seventeen I think ninety seven around then to jerrymander James Madison out of his seek in Congress.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: Of course, the term comes from eighteen twelve when the Elridge Jerry, the governor of Massachusetts real district in the shape of a salamander. So jerry Mander. But you're right, it is not a good thing for our country, whichever party does. To be honest with you, it's bad for representative government. It disempowers voters and empowers politicians. So I suppose is number one. We shouldn't be redrawing lines in the middle of the decade, like Gavin Newsom's trying to do. I've introduced a bill to that effect in the House that I'm trying to get passed as quickly as possible, and then ultimately, come the time of the next census when you're actually supposed to be doing redistricting. I want to see a fix to make elections fairer in our country. So I think that consists of two things that we could reach a deal on. Number one, let's get rid of jerrymandering once and for all in all fifty states. And number two, let's establish voter ID once and for all in all fifty states. I think that if we can do those two things, then we'll have a lot fairer elections in this country and our representative government will work a lot better.
Speaker 1: So I forget what the numbers were heard the other day. I think it was about Massachusetts, where they don't have a single Republican in the House, but they get a pretty decent percentage of the vote every single time around. If Gavin gets his way. In California, Republicans in the last election made up about thirty eight percent of the votes. Stang, they're forty percent of the votes, but would have seven percent of the representation in the House. Obviously, that's not good, and I would say the same thing if it was flipped Republican and Democrat. Is would the goal be to have roughly the same representation in the House as the way people vote? Would that be like in a perfect world?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's a pretty good metric, right, Like everyone should have the chance to get a representative of their choice. The party should be represented about an equal measure of the support they have in the population. This idea that you know, you control fifty five percent of the state at the state level, therefore you should get one hundred percent of the representatives in Congress. It just makes no sense. And like you said, I think the typical person, whether they're a Democrat, Republican, independent, green Park, what have you, they looked at a map that says, okay, we're going to be you know, four Republicans and forty eight Democrats. I think most people would say that's just a little too out of balance. That's really not the way things are supposed to work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what this disturbs me. I feel like on a whole bunch of different issues, we've got a bit of a race to the bottom going on. I mean, what Texas is doing is to try to compensate one for a census that wasn't a very representative of reality. But the fact that you know Illinois, and of course it's hilarious that Texas Democrats ran to Illinois, one of the most gerrymandered states in the entire country. But Illinois had done it long time ago. California did it back in the day. There's not a single Republican north of New York in the entire house. But each you know, everybody's always reacting to what the other party did and saying, well, we've got to fight, We've got to fight fire with fire. They play hardball, we'ork and how do we avoid this race to the bottom?
Speaker 5: Great question. This whole fight fire with fire thing is just a ridiculous slogan. I mean, it's rhetoric, and you know it's easily rhetorically defeated to the slogan as well. We fight fire with fire, the whole world burns, right because some other state is doing something that we don't like. That means California voters should pay the price. Our people should be punished for it. Our voters should be deprived of the right to fair representation, should have their actual votes from the past overturn. It just makes no sense. But I do think, you know, like you said, like you know, some people will quite to text this other as a point to Illinois, and so you know, there's a lot of debate of who really started.
Speaker 1: As the truth is, it.
Speaker 5: Goes back a long long time at the beginning of the republic, like we were talking about. But that's why I think we need to have some sort of national solution to this. And that's the point of my bill is saying, look, enough is enough. Why don't we get back to the issues that actually matter to people. And by the way, I happen to think that if we have fair elections, then our party, Republicans will do well. In fact, we just did win the election at the House in twenty twenty four with the maps as they are now. And look at the issues right now. I mean, we have an absolute stand still at the border. We've delivered major tax relief to the American people, We've gotten rid a lot of this woke insanity. And the Democrats, meanwhile, have never been more unpopular and have em braced to socialism in New York City. So let's focus on the issues, let's move past these redistricting games, and let's certainly do everything we can to make sure that Gavin Newsom does not succeed in blowing up our constitution and attacking democracy in our state.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Gavin and I mentioned that he has obviously presidential ambitions, the national punditry that doesn't live in California seems to be pretty high on Gavin and his abilities and his chances of being the next president. I feel like those of us who have watched him more closely, like all the way from back when he was mayor of San Francisco went through, I think they're misreading his talents. Well, where are you on that?
Speaker 5: I agree one hundred percent. I think that under the microscope of a presidential campaign, this will quit. His image will quick We fall apart once once people start asking questions like, why is it that California has the highest homelessness in.
Speaker 1: The Half the homeless in the entire country live in this state, exactly half.
Speaker 5: The en shutter Frome was the entire country. Why do we have the highest unemployment fifty first out of fifty states. Why is it that we have the highest poverty rate in this country, first out of fifty in California. And you know, as you know, we could go on and on and on and on. Right, So those questions are ones that he simply will not be able to answer. I don't think that, you know, progressives or conservatives want to live in a world that has the sort of outcomes that Gavin Newsom's politics do. So I think that you know, under the scrutiny which she's really never had to deal with an election process of a national campaign, that truth will will be unmistakable.
Speaker 1: Do you know how much you can bench press? That communist mayor candidate in New York tried to bench press one hundred and thirty five over the weekend at a chim and he couldn't. And I don't know why he laved. I don't know why he laid down on the bench to do that, And I don't care. I don't think we should judge our politicians based on how much they can move around. I don't think James Madison to probably bench press very much. But I just thought it was funny that.
Speaker 5: He went to the gym back in the game here, so you know, he, uh, what's that the Schwarzenegger is going to be back and.
Speaker 1: If we judge everything on that, Hey, thanks for coming on today and we'll be following this redistricting. You know, vote and see how the voters feel about it. Obviously, if that would eliminate you, that would be a bad thing for US Congressman Kevin Kylie the third District. Thanks for your time, you bad Thanks for having me. The thing with mom, Donnie is it's just so funny. So he visited one of those outside gyms where the super big usually righted up dudes lift weights outside where eybody can see him there in New York and say, yeah, he is in his suit and tie and laid down on the bench and and he he he could not. They had to help him get one hundred and thirty five pounds off his chest. And again, I'm not knocking him for his what he can bench. I can I can lift that much. But who cares? But why would you lay down on a bench underneath some weights if you know you're a weedy week guy. That just seems like an odd thing to do to me. AnyWho, Yes, Arnold says, yes, one more thing on the old man on the boat. At one point he's telling me what to do as we're trying to come into the dock. And you can really cause a problem coming into the dock on a sailboat because you got no motor and you could like really wreck the boat and cause a lot of damage and everything like it. Anyway, I'm coming into the dock feeling a lot of pressure, everything like that. The instructor is yelling one thing to me, and the old man in the sea was yelling a different thing to me. And this particular case, it wasn't that I couldn't hear him. It was that he was telling me the outside. I said, sir, the instructor is telling me the exact OPSI I'm gonna listen to the teacher. Oh, I really lost my composure. That sounds like he gave you every reason too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, from yelling at you to talk in politics.
Speaker 1: Enough, I couldn't. I mean, yeah, I would never do this, but I think it would have been within my purview to have said shut the f up, yeah, or I'm flipping this boat. Yeah, you're about to go a swim in. Sir, all right, we got we got more on the way in the second. I want to tell you about this. We're really excited to be teaming up with Webroot gotta do this. Cybercrime is a huge problem. Lots of people getting phished or scammed or somehow online and you could avoid that the cybercrime with Webroot Total Protection. It scans lightning fast, installs in minutes and takes way less space than a lot of those bloated competitors that are out there. Webroot's been protecting people for over twenty five years with ninety percent customer retention rate. Families love it too. You get VPN coverage in sixty five countries, unlimited cloud backup, and identity protection for up to ten people, so that obviously me and my kids, maybe I can get my parents on there too. Also, if identity theft does strike, you're covered up with up to a million dollars in reimbursement. Get fifty percent off Webroot Total pri Protection or Webroot Essentials right now at webroot dot com slash Armstrong. Get fifty percent off Webroot Total Protection Protection and Webroot Essentials today at webroot dot com slash Armstrong. Protect what matters most before it's too late. More on the way, stay here.
Speaker 2: Kamala Harrison now so she will kick off a fifteen city tour to promote her new memoir. It was supposed to be one city until she found out she could drink on the bus.
Speaker 1: Wow, he really leans on the Kamala Harris is a drunk a lot. Greg Guffeld So coming up in our four, Donald Trump is in the midst of one of his really really long impromptu press conferences, like they're having a meeting, but the press is there and he starts taking questions and he's been talking for like an hour, and he's said a whole bunch of interesting things. So we'll get some of those to you an hour for along with Joe Getty, we'll be joining the Armstrong Show. He is in England on Great Hello. He is in England on vacation right now.
Speaker 6: I hope he already has the accent.
Speaker 1: It's a bit of a payback me working while he's in Great Britain because we did this one other time twenty four years ago. I was in England on vacation over nine to eleven. I was walking around the countryside of Great Britain on nine to eleven and Joe was nearby with his when his kids were young, and he came back into work and worked all that week while I stayed on vacation. I couldn't have left if I wanted to because if you remember, there were no flights for a week. The first day he threw opened up, I flew back. But so we'll hear from him from England. I'm looking forward to that. That'll be a lot of fun. First of all, I can't believe nine to eleven is twenty four years ago, and just did that math in my head. That's shocking if you're of a certain age. I was so drunk the day of nine to eleven. I was on vacation. I was walking around. I had gotten a pub map rural pubs of England, and I was hiking around rural England, going from pub to pub through these fields. It was awesome. You'd walk through these fields and they had like steps built where the fences were to keep the cattle or sheep or I don't remember if I saw any livestock, but they'd have these little steps where you could walk up the steps, over the fence and down the other side and walk through these fields and then there'd be a pub kind of in the middle of nowhere. Might be a castle over there, pub over there, pub had been there for three hundred years, Going there, drink a little bit, move on to the next pub. Anyway, I was kind of hammered, and I'm walking around from pub to pub, and I could tell I knew something was happening because people were gathered around the television. In the lot of the pubs didn't have TVs, but some of them that did, people were gathered around and there was something going on. I was on vacation. I'm in the news business. There's always something going on. I didn't catch on to it. You were turning it off for the true Yes, I didn't catch on to those. One of the biggest stories of my entire lifetime was happening until the next day. I was a day behind on reacting to nine to eleven, and then it was somewhat hungover from me. That was a big black and tan guy back in there.
Speaker 6: Wait a minute, No, Like, those are delicious, but a lot of you'll you'll be feeling that the next day for sure.
Speaker 1: Especially if you drink like twenty of them. That's uh, that's uh. The top half is Guinness and the bottom half is bass Ale. That's the way it works the other way around. Uh, it doesn't matter. Yeah, I think the bottom is Guinness. Anyway. That's kind of rough. That's a rough day. So anyway, Joe Joe Getty Live from Great Britain coming up in just a few minutes. Uh, and and also Trump's press conference that he's doing right now.
Speaker 6: I wonder if Joe saw any of those protests over the weekend, the immigration protests that were like all over London.
Speaker 1: Big Oh really, I didn't realize that. Okay, he's certainly would be aware of it, because I know he's taking in some of the local news. This is news, obviously breaking news. Starbucks has brought in brought back the pumpkin spice latte and other autumn inspired treats available starting tomorrow. I don't know where what it's like where you live, but it's one hundred and three degrees here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, bust out the uggs, get a pumpkin spice latte.
Speaker 1: Put a scarf around your neck, get all cozy, maybe some sort of stocking cap.
Speaker 8: Find a nice fireplace, your uggs, right, and your pumpkin spice latte and other autumnal inspired treats, which would be like your pumpkin spice scone and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 6: Didn't you just see pumpkin spice like frosted flakes somewhere or something I did.
Speaker 1: Yes, they need to stop. Yes, says our old producer Sean used to call it. Pumpkin spice is a bully spice that is trying to push all the other spices out of the way, and we should fight back against this because it's not cool. We do four hours of this darn show every single day. We're contractually obligated to do that many segments. If you don't get them all, or you missed a segment or hour, you can get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand. Look forward to talking to Joe and see what it's been like being in England, which he'd never been to before. Plus I didn't know about all the protests and stuff over the weekend, and he's big on the whole immigration problems in England anyway, I know that's one of his big stories, So look forward to talking about that in our four on the Armstrong and Getty Show, Armstrong and Getty