Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg business Week, Daily reporting from the magazine that helps global leaders stay ahead with insight on the people, companies, and trends shaping today's complex economy. Plus global business, finance and tech news as it happens. The Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast with Carol Masser and Tim Steneveek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to bring an Ivan fine Seth, research director and chief investment officer at Tiger's Financial Partners. The firm has more than five hundred million dollars under management. Ivan has a by rating on the company's stock. Ivan does just very like your immediate knee jerk reaction to this. Does your rating? Well, I know you can't answer that question, but your knee jerk reaction. I'm not gonna ask your knee jerk reaction to the numbers here. You're shaking your head.
Speaker 3: It's not this quarter. It's not a quarterly story. It is a major shift in the company. It's and they have I think turned a major corner. But the stock is also run up significantly from a lower twenty. It hit fifty five dollars, so I think it may have gotten a little bit ahead of itself and it may pull back, but I think everything that's going on and then the new CEO, lip Pretan is is as planned. I mean, they are well positioned to benefit from AI data center demand, AI computer demand, their partnership with Intel, money from the US government, so they are plenty flush to invest in all of their key growth initiatives.
Speaker 4: So fundamentally, what's changed Ivan when it comes to this company? You obviously sound really upbeat? Is it just a case of having the backdrop because you know of the United States government?
Speaker 5: Is that what's done it? You know, kind of see the ship everything.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's the it's first of all, it's the it's President Trump's push on what's sold here is made here, investing in US semiconductor manufacturing capacity here, expanding the Intel foundry business, as well as the growth of data centers, the growth of AI enabled PCs. So they are positioned, I think perfectly to benefit from what it was in the early innings of it going to be a long game of the AI driven growth in both the tech sector and the US and the global economy.
Speaker 1: So, okay, I just want to this is a different company than it was six months ago as a result as a result of the US investment. And I'm wondering what that position, what that type of what that investment does for Liputan's position. Like you know, when you're the CEO of a company and you come out with a report, you're you're obviously you got to worry about the board, you got to worry about shareholders. Now he's got to worry about a phone call from President Trump because the President likes to talk about how well the stock has done since the US made that investment. What does that change the dynamic?
Speaker 6: It doesn't.
Speaker 3: But it's really funny that President Trump wanted to go from deporting the guy to giving the guy money.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's the power of a conversation, right, But.
Speaker 4: It also shows but it also shows how quickly things can change, certainly from the White House perspective.
Speaker 3: Well, it highlights Trump's perspective on driving the US manufacturer and infrastructure US leadership in all key areas, and semiconductors is a very important area, especially that Intel makes semiconductors for the defense industry.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Okay, so does it make the defense business stronger?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Hey, there's no better partner. One number one partner. I don't.
Speaker 6: Well, it could be a tie US government and Nvidia.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let me go to the partners. Yeah, let me let me ask this question a different way than Ivan. And that's about where Intel would be right now. If the US government had not made that investment. Would this be a completely different picture? Would it have been a completely different quarter?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think this has helped.
Speaker 3: I think this removes concerns, balanceet concerns that moved and allows the company and the CEO to focus on business. A partnership with Nvidia is great, and partnership with the USK it opens up doors. They're back working with Apple, They're going to be working with everybody. And I think you're going to see Intel as a major contender as a semi conductor foundry semiconductor manufacturer to take on Taiwan Semiconductor.
Speaker 4: So, okay, going back to Intel under sure in the aftermarket, we continue to track the share price, I think down about four or five percent as we speak. The forecast for the first quarter top and bottom line disappointing. At the same time, it's talking about the CEO saying demand is quite strong, says the chip maker missed a lot of opportunities, says production yields not up to his standards, and then he goes on to say making our intel says, the company making good progress in fourteen A production on track for volume production in twenty twenty eight, has multiple engineering engagements on fourteen A.
Speaker 5: Help me understand what that means.
Speaker 3: These are different chips, the fourteen A, the eighteen A that they and the announcements that they made earlier this month at the CEES they got their latest semiconductors on track to go into production to meet a huge demand for all semiconductors is outstripping supply. There's in fact, concerns of memory shortage and process or shortage. So they got the demand wind. Is that is a tailwind, and they are back to innovating and developing and you know, winning customers and working with key you know computer manufacturers, Key Hyperscaler, you know cloud service providers. And I think that they got a tremendous tailwind. The stock ringing up a lot. It went from twenty to fifty five. Even if it pulls back to forty five, you know, it's a buying opportunity because I think that long term they are going to be back I mean, I don't think even be back to their former glory. I think they are going to be one of the world's leading semiconductor developers, designers, and manufacturers.
Speaker 4: So the Foundry Services division their factory unit revenue of about four and a half billion. It was a gain of about three point eight percent ivan from.
Speaker 5: The year before.
Speaker 4: It currently relies on almost exclusively, as you know, Intel product divisions for orders. It's looking to expand beyond that. Is that crucial for the company's future growth.
Speaker 3: It's crucial, But that is the opportunity, okay, to work with everybody, because you got to realize that most of the other semiconductor companies, even in Vidia, Apple, all of the companies like Google, Facebook, Amazon, that want their own processors qualcom, they're all virtual manufacturer. They don't actually manufacture. They outsourced to companies like todd One semi Conductor and hopefully companies like Intel to manufacture their processors.
Speaker 1: You know, is the US The US is, at least from an investment protective, things have kind of quieted down a little bit since the summer. But are there any other companies, particularly companies within your universe that you follow that could see in your view and investment by the US government.
Speaker 3: You know that I don't know. The other companies that I like in the semiconductor sector are in Vidia and Quailcom. And you know Invidia is pretty flush.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't need so okay, they could they could make an investment in the US government.
Speaker 3: Yes, I really think it was great how it turned around after the meeting with Trump and Tan that Grump wrote a check. And and also we have a lot of government incentives to build UH semiconductor manufacturing capacity here. Yeah, we have projects in Arizona, projects in Ohio. So ideally the US could be the semiconductor manufacturing capital for the world.
Speaker 4: So in terms of going back to and you right, rightfully, so, I even point out the run up that we've seen in Ivan shairs and Intel shares. You know, the Information put out a story and it says Intel's forward even a multiple has lifted to twenty times highest level since twenty twenty one, well above the twelve and a half times at which TSMC currently trades. This is what I was trying to get to before with our simulcast, I was talking market caps, but it has to do with valuation.
Speaker 5: Intel now pricier than TSMC. Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Well, I always say I wish we could solve the mysteries of the stock market by dividing two numbers like cash flow MO or even pe. Stocks go up for everything that you really can't measure. And this is about Intel's future. So we are going to see if all goes well, a huge ramp up in revenue, in an expansion in margin and increasing cash flow, and then an increase in profitability. So I think their foundry business will ramp up significantly, and as their new processors come to market, revenue and cash flow and profitability will ramp up also ramp up significantly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Li Bhutan saying, you know, Intel face is an execution challenge. We are laser focused as a team to improve that. To be candid, it's just our execution that needs to improve. Ivan finds that great stuff as always so appreciated. He's, of course, chief investment officer over at Tiger's Financial Partners, joining us on Intel.
Speaker 1: Stay with us more from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Weekdaily podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern Listen on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 1: The World Economic Forum in Davos. I heard of it, okay, he's called it quote boring. He slammed the group as a body that's increasingly becoming an unelected world government that people never asked for and don't want.
Speaker 4: So he's like, I'm never going to go to that thing. That's ridiculous. Why, like, who would waste their time there?
Speaker 1: He were talking about is Elon musk Coright? Those are things that he said about the World Economic Forum in the past. Yet today, for the first time we made an appearance.
Speaker 5: He showed up, didn't he?
Speaker 1: He showed up, And do you think he was nice?
Speaker 3: On news?
Speaker 4: Hey, it's Elon busy at the factory. But listen, I'd like to come to David.
Speaker 1: I don't know how it works. He was confirmed at the last minute edition for a Thursday afternoon session. He spoke to Blackrock CEO Larry Fink. Here's just part of that conversation.
Speaker 7: We do have some the Tel's Optimus robots doing simple tasks in the factory, except probably.
Speaker 6: Later this year.
Speaker 7: By the end of this year, I think they will be doing more complex tasks and still deployed in an industrial environment, and probably sometime next year, I'd say that by the end of next year, I think would be selling humanoid robots to the public. That's when we are confident that it's very higher liability, very high safety, and the range of functionality is is also very high. You can basically ask it to do anything you'd like.
Speaker 8: You're already seeing that in Tesla car. Is this the software changes that you're doing?
Speaker 6: And what is it? Every quarter now?
Speaker 8: A software change that upbrates the ability of the robot within the car.
Speaker 7: Yes, the tails A full self driving software we updated sometimes once a week. And recently some of the insurance companies have said that it is actually so safe. When tells a full self driving so safe that, uh, they're they're offering customers half price insurance if they if they use tess a full self driving in the car and.
Speaker 8: That could be monitored by the insurance company, can they Is that part of the agreement?
Speaker 7: Yeah? But I think self driving cars is essentially a solved problem at this point, right, And Tesla's rolled out, uh sort of robot taxi service in a few cities, and well, I be very very widespread by the end of this year within the US, and then we hope to get supervisor for self driving approval in Europe hopefully next month quickly, yeah, and then maybe a similar time timing for China hopefully.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: There you have it. That was Elon Musk along with Larry Fink, the CEO of Black Rock. For more on that appearance at Davos, we're joined by Max Chafkin. He's Bloomberg Business Week senior reporter. He's co host of the Everybody's Business podcast. He's also the author of the contrarian Peter Teel and Silicon Valley's Pursuit of Power. He joins us here in the Bloomberg Interactive Broker's studio. A lot of a lot of timelines laid out just in that two and a half minutes, and that was just part of what he said today. Uh, I know you're excited, Carol for the Optimist robots to be sold at the next year because.
Speaker 5: That room for one at my own.
Speaker 1: They don't need a better method about just got to plug him in right, charge them. They just do the dishes. Is that a real sick thing? Based on your observations of Tesla and where they are right now with these optimist robots.
Speaker 9: I don't think it's a realistic thing for any humanoid robot, whether it's Elon Musk's humanoid.
Speaker 1: Robots or not.
Speaker 9: I mean, there are prototypes of these things, but of course it's a big jump from going from a prototype to putting these in environments where unpredictable things have happened. That's the reason why Elon Musk, for you know, ten years or so, has been saying self driving cars are going to happen next year and we're still not quite there yet. There was a demo today in Austin, another demo, but again, these are very controlled. We're not seeing the kind of mass you know, mass market adoption, unsupervised kind of robotics that Elon Musk that had been talking about and that we're all, you know, frankly hoping for. It would be nice to have a dishes doing robot in our in our home, do.
Speaker 5: It all, take the garbage out and everything. But you know, it's interesting.
Speaker 4: We had a conversation with Hannah Elliott today, the auto columnist. It'll be in our weekend show, it will be in our weekend show, and she recently went out in a Mercedes that has kind of their two different programs really when it comes to self driving, and she was blown away, but.
Speaker 1: It doesn't she drew a distinction for us and then, you know, giving a preview for our conversation that is Saturday. There's a distinction between Mercedes technology that runs on Nvidia and Tessela's technology for FSD, which is fully supported by cameras. Mercedes technology that she writes about away has the cameras but also additional sensors. It's more akin to a Weimo.
Speaker 9: Right, Yeah, Weimo is betting on this, and as you said, many other people are betting on these kind of multisensor approaches. There are a lot of critics of Tesla, including some very strong critics who basically say this is impossible. Elon Musk's argument has been all along, hey, you drive with two eyes, therefore cameras should be fine. I don't think we know the.
Speaker 1: Answer that question. I mean that is that is the argument he might. But I will say the brain, for for uh as challenging as a lot of interpersonal relationships are. The brain is so powerful when it comes to making these split second decisions that having been proved I mean the.
Speaker 4: Elon just now and yeah, the brain causes us to often get distracted picking up our phone or reaching and doing things.
Speaker 1: So it's that's a good point.
Speaker 9: I don't know, well, I mean, I do think that. And Musk made the point about insurance rates and full self driving, right, we are seeing, whatever your view is, in terms of the realistic nature of these kind of robotaxi timelines, we're seeing huge advances in driver assistants. And and that is where Elon Musk, you know, to his credit, he doesn't he doesn't talk about it this way. But if you just see Tesla's autopilot and full self driving as a driver assistance system, you know, it's pretty promising. You do have to be engaged, you have to be looking. It's not a substitute for for your own eyes and your own judgment, but it could augment that process. And and you're seeing kind of a distinction in terms of how some automakers are sort of focusing on that path while others are going the kind of weimow, you know, full self driving route. Musk I think is essentially keeping both options open. He has the sort of robotaxi demo in Austin but also there are many normal cars with this software built in.
Speaker 4: I guess, and I think part of the reason I brought up Hannah is just how she was blown away, But I think by the technology and how great it was, and I just think about we talk about these robots, could they possibly though I'm looking at advancements in technology AI moving along pretty fast that it could actually happen sooner rather than later, like is I.
Speaker 6: Mean, anything's possible.
Speaker 9: But you know, but even you know, Elon Musk even even talks about this. There is this thing where getting ninety nine percent of the way is very easy, and that last one percent no one quite knows just how it is. And we're talking again about big heavy machines, industrial robots. They are very advance and industrial robots in factories that can do you know, fine motor skills. But the factories have you know, red yellow tape around them because you don't want to get too close to the robot because these are heavy machines. They could hurt somebody. And there's going to be a very high bar before putting one of these optimists optimize in your home. It's not especially it only has to do the dish, it has to be better than your current dishwasher.
Speaker 1: We'll see what the consequence is if you do not call it by the.
Speaker 4: Proper name, if they don't stack the dishes the way I like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a problem. They talk about relationship challenges. The self driving car is a solved problem, is what Elon Musk said to Larry Fink earlier today. If if maybe from a technological perspective, it's a solve problem, but you're only seeing Waymos in a handful of cities. The robotaxis from Tesla are only available in a handful of cities. And is it a solve problem in your view?
Speaker 9: No, it's obviously not a solve problem. It will be a solve problem. We all have self driving cars. But you know, if from the point of view of Elon Musk, from the point of view of Tesla investors, they have a big lead. Elon Musk, in his mind, they are just going to get there. You brought up the why is he going to Davos right now? I think part of the reason he's going to Davos is because a lot of eyes are on Davos, because Donald Trump was there. Elon Musk is really good at figuring out where the news cameras are pointed where the kind of conversation is and putting himself there. So he's going there and he's talking his book, he's talking about driverless cars. While there's a lot of focus on this conference.
Speaker 4: But having said that too, coming off of CES twenty twenty six, right, we talked too about the focus on robots or robotics, and it does feel like that's where the world is going next.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, there's definitely a lot.
Speaker 9: I mean, there's tons of investment here. And part of the reason is there are these amazing advancements in AI and yet we haven't quite figured out how to commercialize them. So they are all sorts of efforts to find a commercial you know, a way to make money on this thing. And of course humanoid robots want to these these options. There are lots of humanoid robot companies in China right now that are also racing to compete with optimists.
Speaker 1: So mission accomplished for Elon at Davos, we're talking about he made a lot of news, a lot was written about him. We're talking about him right now. He got the attention, but he could do that anywhere he goes.
Speaker 9: It's true, although I think he likes to, you know, put himself at the center. And again, I mean Davos has in a way that that it's hard for me to remember. It's been been a few years where with Trump making these Greenland threats, him flying there, there was just so much attention on this thing, and it almost feels like Musk is trying to get himself, you know, back close close to Trump as well, being in the kind of even though they I think they just passed like ships in the night, but but it's hard not to see, you know, their proximity is getting They didn't.
Speaker 5: Fly there together, no, not yet, not yet.
Speaker 4: Having said that, you know, we wrapped up the year doing a really fun conversation with you, like kind of the Elon Year in Review twenty twenty five, because there was a lot if you think about when President Trump gave me to the White House in doge. How are you thinking about Elon this year right now?
Speaker 9: Well, I think the big question on the business side is SpaceX and the possible space X I PO. I mean, we're we're going to see a lot of companies try to do I POS. I think in the next year or so for for lots of reasons.
Speaker 4: You say possible, Is it a given or we shouldn't assume that it's definitely going to happen.
Speaker 1: I mean it hasn't happened. Yeah, I mean until they file, I wouldn't.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't assume it.
Speaker 9: Lots of companies sort of talk about that, and and you know, if the market changes, you know, I think I think watching that SpaceX I PO, how much demand is there? You know, how much is it worth? How does that affect the rest of Elon Musk's empire, how does that play with Tesla and the challenges of Tesla? And then the other story, the big one is the midterm and what is Elon Musk's role going to be as we head towards this election.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought I heard already some money.
Speaker 9: Ten million dollars in Kentucky Center race.
Speaker 5: Yep, off and running. We'll be We'll be coming back to Max. We know that. Max Chapkin, Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg Business Week senior Report or co host of Everybody's Business Podcast.
Speaker 5: Check it out on the weekend.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at two pm Eastern on Apple car Play and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station. Just Say Alexa played Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 4: Let's drive to the close, because certainly on our minds is what's going on with the consumer. We did get some data today, US consumer spending rising solidly in back to back games.
Speaker 5: You kind of have that going on.
Speaker 4: We had jobless claims steady at two hundred thousand dollars in a sign of low layoffs, and the US economy expanding at a revised four point four percent.
Speaker 5: In the third quarter.
Speaker 4: So you know, some reads on the economy, and we'll see whether or not this is all good for a consumer.
Speaker 5: It feels like it should be, but it isn't always.
Speaker 1: We'll see what Joe Feldman has to say, Senior managing director and assistant director of Research at tells the advisory he joins us this afternoon. So consumer spending rises solidly in back to back gains. Carol went through some other data that we got today. Everything's fine for consumers.
Speaker 6: So far. The consumer seems pretty resilient.
Speaker 10: We continue to hear that word from all the retailers we speak with and you continue to really see it in the data.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 10: I know there's some that are suggesting that it's really the bifurcation of the consumers, so that more affluent consumer is.
Speaker 6: Really doing a lot of the driving of the spend.
Speaker 10: But you know, when you aggregate it together, the numbers look okay, hey.
Speaker 4: You know, I love that you went there with the affluent consumer, Joe, But what about Sacks which filed bankruptcy? I mean they play into the affluent consumer.
Speaker 1: Is that idiosyncratic or is that.
Speaker 5: Like what's what's?
Speaker 4: And I understand retails, you know, can have the wrong product line or strategy, but what happened with Sax and we've been talking about that a lot here at Bloomberg.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I think management is a big part of it.
Speaker 10: You know, it really had not been managed quite well under Richard Baker, who's that was the owner. I know there was another, you know guy running at Mark Metric was the CEO. However, Richard Baker really owned the company. He was behind the whole thing, and everything he's touched has not done well. Lord and Taylor's gone now Sacks is gone, you know, and he's really not done a very good job of running a retailer. He gets the real estate portfolio, and I think he's very good at real estate and understands that.
Speaker 6: So what happened?
Speaker 10: You know, look, prices maybe went a little too high during the pandemic. I think the luxury brands thought they could get away with more.
Speaker 6: They raised prices way too.
Speaker 10: High, and they've been paying the piper since then as things have started to recover.
Speaker 6: And that sort of in the more affluent.
Speaker 10: Consumer, not the high high end, but like that that sort of aspirational customer is really what fell off.
Speaker 1: And that's like the mass affluent. Like, how would you describe that person?
Speaker 6: Joe, Yeah, sort of that mass half and I think is how you would describe it.
Speaker 10: It's probably you know, if you think in terms of income death stiles, maybe that you know that the seventy to eighty, seventy to ninety those death siles right there, that might you know, splurge on an item every now and then, but not really be the true you know, luxury customer.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting that you say that, I that that customer and this is anecdotal, it's not you know, we're not necessarily seeing this data. But in this low higher low fire environment. It seems like that group is having a tough time finding a new job.
Speaker 10: I think you're correct. The wage growth has started to slow down a little bit. You know, when we speak to like the retailers that we've covered, some of the grocers, for example, they've talked about that middle income consumer feeling more stress and seeing some change behavior in the way they've been shopping. So if you're seeing that at grocery, you know you're are definitely seeing that across the board.
Speaker 6: Now, we did have a good holiday season.
Speaker 10: We've heard from a lot of retailers who pre announced a few a week ago and numbers were better than expected.
Speaker 6: To number wasn't so bad.
Speaker 10: So I don't mean to paint such a negative picture here, but it's not all, you know, rosy as rosy as it might seem.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, it's so funny.
Speaker 4: I was just looking at a couple of names. Walmart's up almost six percent so far this year. TJ max Is down slightly, not even one percent. Retail stocks as a whole were up only three percent last year, in a year where we knew the S and P five hundred. We you know, strong gains double digit gains for the US stock market overall. As for retail stocks this year, Joe up nearly four percent year to date versus less than a one percent gain in the.
Speaker 5: S and P five hundred. Where's the strength in retail?
Speaker 11: You know?
Speaker 4: And as you start to look at twenty twenty six and how it might play out, can you make some definitive calls or do you have to kind of wait to see based on White House policy, the FED and all that good stuff.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, well, coming out of twenty twenty five, we know that the value oriented retailers did quite well, so Walmart, TJ actually two big ones that you just mentioned, but that whole discount world really perform quite well. We think heading into this year, at least right now the first half of the year, you may see those continue to outperform. But from a stock perspective, investors are trying to make that pivot towards discretionary. The one big, beautiful tax bill should yield higher refund checks for most people in the US, So there's an optimistic view that well, if there's higher tax refunds, spring might not be so bad in terms of spending, and there'll be a little more capability for everyone in the US to spend, and so that pivot back towards discretionary is really what you've seen with some of the stocks. You've also seen as the Trump administration's talked a lot about trying to stimulate housing in some ways, Home Depot, Low's Florin decre You've seen those stocks really start to rebound. Everybody wants to see that happen and see some better strength in those sectors for those stocks to really continue to work.
Speaker 1: We're going to get Intel learnings a little later, and we're not getting retailer yet at this point. But I'm curious from you where what are the companies you know, we got we got a lot of good picks from from Dana at the end of last year. What is a pick from you like to avoid? Where would you suggest people avoid?
Speaker 10: Well, the avoid I still think you kind of want to be careful in the middle, and that's where like the companies that are doing well, like a Walmart at the cater day to that load a middle. But the middle is trading down a little bit. They're okay, I worry. You know, there's a lot of question about Target. Are they going to be able to turn things around. You know, they have an analyst day coming up in March, and I think there's some hope that they will be able to get to write the ship a little bit. But there's been pressure there. Cole's is another one Dana talks about that really has you know, not been able to transform itself and keep pace. So those are a couple of names like that. There may be some concern, but I think there's a lot of hope around some of the bigger discretion a like home Peoples.
Speaker 6: Like I said, we still like Costco, we like Walmart, So hey, what is definitely some room perhaps you run up Target.
Speaker 4: And I was trying to remember in my read in this morning, and Target does report earnings on March fourth.
Speaker 5: March fifth, we get Costco.
Speaker 4: February twenty fourth, we get Home Depot, February nineteenth, we get Walmart.
Speaker 5: So we're going to be getting a good read.
Speaker 4: But on Target, there's a great story, interesting story, troubling story on the Bloomberg how Target is facing a political maelstrom in its hometown of Minneapolis due to that immigration crackdown, disrupting operations and prompting calls for the company to take a stance. But you've got staff skipping work over that crackdown. I mean, once again we see policy out of the White House impacting companies. That's a real thing. And just got about forty seconds here just quickly, if you would.
Speaker 6: No, I absolutely agree, it is a real thing.
Speaker 10: You know, Trump administration policies have a big effect on how consumers feel and about sentiment.
Speaker 6: Target in particular, to your point, has had this issue.
Speaker 10: There's been a lot of so social issues that somehow they're square in the center of it, and you know, they're always upsetting somebody for some reason, which is quite frustrating. I think for the management team, I'm sure it is. You know, they get that taken out on them a bit more than some other companies, all.
Speaker 4: Right, And it does look like management, including the CEO, is looking to kind of meet with some of the officials involved in some of this stuff.
Speaker 5: Joe, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: I always appreciate you folks over at Telsey of course, Joe joining us there.
Speaker 5: This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Weekdaily podcast. Catch us Live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern. Listen on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 1: New York City poised to get pummeled with more than a foot of snow this weekend. It's a test for new Mayor Zoro and Mom Donnie. A massive weather system landing on the region, threatening power outages, airline delays, and transit system of problems. We bring back Craig Allen, Bloomberg meteorologist. He joins us from America, New York on a long island Craig. As of Thursday morning, the winter storm watch has stretched more than eighteen hundred miles from eastern Arizona western New York, affecting one hundred and twenty five million people. How has it moved just since this morning?
Speaker 11: It has expanded all the way to the eastern seaboard now, so the I ninety five corridor is caught up in the winter storm watch. And what's happening on the map since I spoke to you yesterday afternoon at this time is that the colors are deeper, they're brighter, there's more of it, and that's never a good thing, because now you're talking about intensity problems that will develop from it, and it's now upgraded to a winter storm warning already from New Mexico and Texas all the way across into the Ohio and the Tennessee Valley. I am sure New York and our entire corridor here is going to be next. There's no way in my mind that we could miss out on at least six inches of snowfall here. And I would think at this point that you know, twelve would be our top number early on, But I would not be surprised if we start looking at areas just to the west of let's say, New York City, or to the north of Washington, or just to the south southwest of Boston that could see anywhere from twelve to eighteen in terms of snow, depending upon the track of the storm.
Speaker 1: Let's focus on the New York City region just for a second here, for selfish reasons. Twelve inches of snow in New York. Would that all happen as of now, based on your projections on Sunday, or would that go into Monday too.
Speaker 11: It'll go into Monday. This will be a long duration storm once it redevelops. Because you're taking this storm that I just gave you the parameters from all the way across from the West coast over to the East coast, and then redeveloping this storm right along the eastern seaboard before it leaves on Monday. So this could turn out to be almost a twenty four hour event. So there may be times when the snow is coming down very heavily, and then there may be times when there's a lull and it's light and flurry ish and there's not too much accumulating. It may even during those times it may even mix with a little bit of freezing rain or sleep. Not a good thing, but it holds down the snow snow accumulations and then pick up again. So, yes, this is going to be a long duration type of event, and the plows will be cleaning and cleaning and cleaning, and that's our area. Think about the cascading effect that goes all the way back through the rest of the nation at the same time, because of all the snow and the ice that they are going to see as well.
Speaker 4: How crucial are the next twenty four hours or next forty eight hours.
Speaker 11: Very Okay, let me tell you what they've done this is almost unprecedented. They've taken Noah Air Force aircraft, and they've taken hurricane hunters that usually go out during the summer season and invest a fly into the hurricanes. They have flown them out on the Pacific coast and down in the Gulf of Mexico today and last night. They started all these runs just to get more data into the system and try to get all the weather maps on the same page here. And that's why these next twenty four hours, the data that they're taking in today, the next twenty four hours will be so critical to see the exact track of the storm because again, if you don't change over to any kind of freezing rain of sleet, this will easily be a foot or more. If you do, then you're dealing with extreme ice and power problems. So there's no win here. It's just a matter of whether or not you're going to be digging out from snow or trying to get your power back.
Speaker 1: Is there any chance? Yeah? I mean, I was just gonna ask you which is worse, but it sounds like it kind of doesn't matter. They're both. They're both No, Yeah, they're both pretty bad here.
Speaker 6: What is it?
Speaker 1: Just very briefly, what is it about the system that makes it so big?
Speaker 11: It has as three pieces of all coming together. With these ingredients. You've got the Pacific system. Yesterday, Carol, you mentioned that there was you saw the moisture down in the Gulf of Mexico. It's going to pick up that, and then it's going to get a shot of that cold air that's coming down behind the system coming out of Canada. You put the three together at the right time, and it all phases together, and you've got yourself one whopper of a storm and that's being stages right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like that cold temperature.
Speaker 4: I feel like growing up when you really had cold temperatures, that's when the storms were kind of the trickiest. Well, Craig, I'm sure we'll be reaching out to you tomorrow, So thanks so much.
Speaker 5: For the lt US update on that.
Speaker 4: Craig Allen, of course, he is Bloomberg Meteorologist joining us from Merrick, New York out there on Long Island.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Business Week Daily podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five Pastern on bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal